Speaker 1: It's the latest edition of Birdland Territory, an all Star break edition, and a chance to hand out some first half awards. Now we know the math means it's past the first half. It's baseball's first half, not the mathematical first half. As to aur sometimes never the same. In this year, they're not. So guys, let's get right into it. We're gonna go over a couple different awards, and the first one for this show, as we talk about the first half here at the break, is the first half MVO. That's the most valuable Oriole. This is an award voted on by the media at the end of the year. So this is our unofficial first half award. And Brad, why don't you give us your top three so far?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So my top three for like you said, a little bit past the first half here, I have Pete Alonso, Ali Rushman, and Taylor Ward. I just think, you know, Pete has done everything that they expected him to do and has kind of been a leader on this team. And I think his defense has been way more than advertised also, and he's had a great first half defensively also, But when you look at his numbers, he's leading the team in RBIs. He's leading the team at home runs, and I think he's second in batting average right now too, behind Taylor Ward. So I think he's done everything that the Orioles could have expected when they sign him to this contract, and he's been great. Obviously, Atli made the All Star Game. He's done a great job. I'm kind of biased towards catchers also, just being a former pitcher, he's got a lot on his plate, He's dealt with some injuries, and he still has had a great first half. And then Taylor Award to me, has just been a consistent guy on the top of the lineup, leads a team in batting average, He's played good outfield in a tough left field now the way that Kim Yards has configured it, and I just think he's done a great job just kind of being a constant source at the top of the lineup. Has been there every single game pretty much. And I feel like those three have just been consistently in the lineup. Like I said, outside of at least a couple of little injuries he's had, I think those three have really just kind of kept this boat to float for the Orioles and kind of kept them here in the in the playoff hunts so far in the first half of the season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we get the same top two, Brad Pete Alonzo being number one and Pete. That was their first big contract, this new ownership group that they have given out and so far, he's been everything they could have won out of Pete Alonso. He's been Pete Alonzo leading the team in home runs with twenty one RBIs with sixty five. He's gotten eight to twenty ops, which is tops for reals. And also and this was expected out of Pete because it's just his reputation.
Speaker 4: He's at the post. He's played every single.
Speaker 3: Game, guys, like, and that's what you want out of Pee Alonzo, representing that leadership there and he's second on the team and walks and gosh, I'm just really excited to see what he's going to do after the All Star break. Is forty home runs in the picture. I mean, he's well on pace to hit over one hundred RBIs. But it's been a monster year for Pete Alonso thus far. And what I really like about Pete, guys, is his numbers continue to go up. You know, he had the rough first month March April six sixty eight ops, then at eight forty in May nine to forty seven in June, came back a little bit. I'm using air quotes here, just in eight ninety five OPS in July. So he's doing really, really well. I have Adle as my number two as well. The only knock on him, and it's not his fault. Of course, he's missed a lot of games. You know, he's he's played in sixty five of ninety seven games. But gosh, has hist impact been huge. He's got forty seven RBIs in sixty five games. That's a fantastic ratio.
Speaker 4: Guys.
Speaker 3: He's second on the team in RBIs despite missing all of those games. And defensively he's been excellent. He has been excellent behind the plate for sure, throwing out runners. My number three man. I was going back and forth this morning, I really was. I was cycling through names. I'm like, I really want to have Brandon Young in there. I couldn't get Brandon Young. I wanted to have Blaze, I couldn't. Really, I'm gonna give it to Samuelpisio. I really am. And I just think that he's grown so much, and I think the turning point of his season was that series in Kansas City where he came up with that big time hit in the ninth inning, that big time hit in extra innings, and ever since then he's been awesome. And you know this kind of goes hand in hand with Adley, right, Adley missing a lot of games, Sam's had to really step up. He's played in eighty three games and he's really picked up the slack. He's third in RBIs, third in homers, third in ops, and not to mention he's grown a lot defensively as a catcher. I mean, gosh, every single time Trevor Rodgers starts a game and Samuel Passillo is catching him, he always points out the impact that Sam had on Trevor Rodgers starts. So I got Pete, Adley and Sam for my one, two three.
Speaker 1: And we should let the viewers know we didn't compare notes. We started recording and we don't know what the other guys are going to pick, but I'm gonna make it a clean sweep. I also had Pete Alonzo first. He's on a pace for thirty five homers, one hundred eight RBIs. That's exactly what they penciled him in for beyond that, his defense has been better than we thought. We were not told. We were told it's shaky. Hasn't really been that maybe rare instance here or there. In fact, that cast and Range factor grades him in the top fifteen percent. It was fifteen percent of mean. He gets around better than you think getting that ball. And we've seen the scoops, which we heard he was good at. And beyond that, the leadership obviously has been tremendous. We've noted many ways that's shown itself, including how he's getting out in the community and doing things for the Baltimore community, and beyond what he's doing at the ballpark. So Adlee number two for me, I love the play discipline this year when he's at his best. High walk rate and ten point two is above average. Low strikeout percentage fourteen percent is way below average. He's getting back to the ball and he's framing ninety seven percentile, he's throwing out runners, he's doing it all. I got blaze third, which you might be hard at the end of the year if he misses a lot of games, maybe he falls off the ballot. The other thing I think, guys, is with a team having a bad year and they are to this point, there's a lot of candidates for this, and my ballot leaves off Prasiah, leaves off Brandon Young. No one's even mentioned Gunner, which shows you the tough year he's had. He's not in the top five or six if you think about it right now. So think about what the season could be if he gets it going when they resume on Friday night. So a lot of good candidates. It was it for us. Unbeknownst before we started recording. We have a clean Sweet Bears pedal Lines of first Half, mbol Most Valuable, Oriole. We'll give out some more awards in a moment here on Birdland Tarantory.
Speaker 5: Many people have this problem. I want to eat healthy. I have the willpower, I don't have the time and the organization. I need help. What do you do?
Speaker 6: I mean you go to factor. I got two boys that are looking for the gains and they always come in the house. I'm looking for food. Now they have actual healthy food that is great for them, and you know what, it's ready in the fridge for them to pop in and make it right away.
Speaker 5: And they have meals built around your goals. It could be weight loss, overall nutrition gains more protein fresh never frozen, over one hundred rotating weekly meals, including globally inspired flavors like Mediterranean and Asian. I get all kinds of different salads from Factor that I love, quick easy. They can be ready in two minutes. Head to Factor Meals dot com. Slash Foul fifty off and use code Foul fifty off to get fifty percent off in free Daily Green's per box with new subscription only while supplies last until nine twenty seven, twenty six.
Speaker 1: Guys, you know our national colleagues Foul Territory have told us your subscribers produce a low percentage of the people who watch your videos. In other words, a lot of people watch and never subscribe, which would help our channel if they did. So. If you're if you're lurking in but you're not a subscriber, and I don't think it impacts anything you do. It maybe gives you some notifications along the way. So we're building towards one thousand, We're over eight hundred. We're charging towards our goal. So help keep help A brother and two other brothers out subscribing to Birdland Territory. If you haven't already and on with the award. Yeah, it's a simple click helps us first, hafo, Cy Young, Tim, what do you got on that one?
Speaker 4: I gotta give it to Brandon Young, right.
Speaker 3: I was trying so hard to put him in the ballot for MVO, just because I think that highly of the season that Brandon Young has had. And when you go back to last year and the era is being so inflated at over six to what he's done now with a three four to two er and a step further and even Craig Albert has acknowledged this much. On Friday, his last start prior to the break, he's got a twelve and three record. This club is five games below five hundred and the Orioles are nine games above five hundred in which games that Brandon Young starts. And you just look at some of the pitch repertoire, like this isn't someone that's throwing gas, but that four seam fastball has been one of the best four seemers in the game. Wh Ungs is starting pitching, batters are hitting below two hundred off his four seamer. We know he changed that splitter grip going back to May, and how much of an impact that that has had for him. There's so many pleasant surprises on this Orioles team, but Brandon Young, he's way up the list for me, and I think he's well deserved of the O saw Young in the first half.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, that's a great pick.
Speaker 2: I tried not to repeat everybody, so I have Brandy Young a little bit later on in our show. But I picked Kyle Bradish and I just think it's I just think him coming back from the injury and then kind of with Trevor Rodgers getting hurt there for a little bit and kind of getting below his normal standard we expected. I think Kyle bradis really stepped up to the plate and that's why I kind of chose him. I think he's just gotten real efficient here this last two months. I feel like he's gone six seven, eight innings every out and he's gone out there and it's really kind of just solidified with Trevor Rodgers coming back to himself. I just think he really solid the rotation. Brandy Young is a great pick also. I think he's been outstanding for this team. But I just think when you look at the expectations for the team and Kyle Bradish kind of has lived up to that bill to this point. So I kind of went with Kyle Bradish just because he's up there in innings pitched. We don't know where that's gonna go in the second half, So I just think he's done everything we expect him to do, and maybe a little bit more at this point, like I said, coming off the injury and just kind of being able to go out there every five days and no injury concerns, and he's gone really deep in games and he's really really helped the bullpen a lot of outings here, especially the second half of the first half. He's done a really good job getting deep in games. I just think he's done what they needed him to do, and kind of, like I said, I've mentioned it with Pete and with these guys in the MVP MVO Award, just kind of kept the boat to float and they're they're right there, and I think Kyle Bradish is a big reason for that.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go Brandon Young here. I would say there's no question Kyle Bradish is the most talented pitcher on the Orioles. We've seen a lot of evidence so that lately, the guy's busting ninety five, ninety six deep in his starts to two breaking balls. I mean quality of you know, best stuff on the team. That's probably not up much for debate. And if you were get truth seerum every player in the clubhouse, they probably say the same thing. But Brandon Young, what he's done has been remarkable. And I'm a big believer in a stack that really is a little out of a pitcher's control. What's the record when he starts last year with a six ERA, it was three and nine. Now it's twelve and three, twelve and three. Again. You gotta have defense, you gotta run, support, a lot of things that Brandon Young can't control. But from May sixth the June tenth, they won seven straight Brandon Young starts, and there's just a confident feeling when he's on the mound right now, it feels like you got an ace out there. And so again we know Bradish's number one, but this guy's won maybe one A and I'm going to give him the first half. Cy Young, he came out of nowhere. For me, I didn't expect anything like this. I had him as a fringe guy, maybe help a few starts here and there, and look at what he's done. So Brandon Young, all credit to you, buddy. You really know how to pitch. Scouts pointed that out to me in the first half. This guy knows what he's doing out there. And then when he changed his grip and a week later made it work in a game that was kind of a stunning thing too.
Speaker 3: I think one more point just to put a bow on Brandon Young, because I remember, especially early on in this show and in April and May, when you have the Jeremiah Jackson's the Noon Yez is the Leodi Tavers, like all of these guys taking advantage of their opportunity. If this oriole starting rotation didn't have the injuries that they had, and of course that's totally unfortunate, Brandon Young would not have had this opportunity. Yeah, you know, he was behind Kate Povich. She was probably their number eight starter. Dean Kramer got sent down at the beginning of the year. Of course, Eflyn got heard underwent Tommy John after a star Bassett got banged up, Kramer went on the il and that really gave Brandon Young an opportunity than Boy did he run with it.
Speaker 1: He sure did. More awards to give out here on this edition of Birdland Territory. Hey time now for our Daily Dinger's segment, presented by Fandel, We're going to nominate Adlie Rutchman as he heads to the All Star Game. Maybe not necessarily to hit a home run in the All Star Game. That's really asking a lot, but you know, maybe to you know, to get it going with something in this game or in the first few games out of the break. I mean, the guy's really been swinging it all year. He's the Orioles only All Star. Hey, guys, well rounded game from athlete. We touched on it a little bit earlier, but it's been so big because some people were thinking this was not in him anymore. It's been a while since we'd seen it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think after last year's season, it was kind of what's going to happen, Like is he going to take a step forward? Is he going to be the same play we expected from previous years? And he's shown all that and more. And I think the real unfortunate injury he had this year was when he got hit on that air and throw at Dodger Stadium. It's just kind of wiped out ten games or ten days on his season, and who knows what his numbers look like. At this point, it was obviously good enough to make the All Star Game, but you had ten more games where I feel like he was really coming into his own And just like Steve said earlier, just his plate discipline has been awesome at the plate this year, and then behind the plate, I feel like he's really stabilized this rotation with Tim. Like you mentioned, all the injuries they had with the restarting rotation and all these new arms that they have in the bullpen and what roles they're coming in at, and it kind of has kind of been a little chaotic, and the one constant I feel like has been Adley and saying behind the plate. But really, ADDI, I think with just his leadership and kind of think showing Sammy the ropes with how to call pitches, how to block pitches, how to really understand a pitching staff. And Adli still young in his own right, but he's a vetter on this team when it comes to the catching side, and I just think when you throw all that together, it creates an All Star player, and that's what you have with Adley three out of four years now. Going to the All Star Game, and.
Speaker 4: He's really a leader.
Speaker 2: I feel like he's more of a silent leader on this team. I don't think he's really going to be one that you know, is a big rah rah guy or he's going to make all these quotes in the papers and stuff. But you know, the staff low is throwing to him, and when he's at the plate, the team's really confident. You can put him anywhere from leadoff hitter to number five and you feel confident having him in the lineup and he's going to produce.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I still stand by the fact that this was a pivotal year in Adley Rutchman's career. You know, the prior year and a half did not go how he would want. And you're looking, Okay, are you more like the year and a half slump or are you the guy prior to that that was one of the best catchers in the game. And he's proving that he's the prior the guy that is one of the best catchers in the game. And I also give credit to the organization, and I know it has frustrated FA at points, like Adley sitting yesterday, and he sat a lot of games this year but that's playing the long game and trying to keep him healthy, because I think a big reason for that downturn over the past year and a half is he was banged up. He got hit in the hand in the second half of twenty twenty four. He messed up both o bleaks last year. I know he's had a couple of eye ol stints this year, but when he's been on the field, he has been a very effective player. And I keep going back to him driving in runs. You know, forty seven RBIs and sixty five games last year in his down year, but twenty nine RBIs in ninety games. Guys like he's already almost, you know, coming up on doubling it in much than far fewer games. So Adley deserves a ton of credit, and the All Star birth was.
Speaker 4: Much Yeah deserved.
Speaker 1: Three time All Star Adley Rechiman. Our pick for Daily Dingers presented by head over to FanDuel dot com Slash podcast to op in for Daily Dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer, playball and swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League based No.
Speaker 7: Purchase necessary, opt in required bonus issue does non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem caller tax one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 1: On with our award show for the first half. Biggest surprise so far, I'll start this one and I didn't pick a player here. I broadened it to something bigger than one player, and it's a surprising not a good way. And for me, it's the defense and the fundamentals that for most of the first half we're so subpar for this team. Going into the season, there were questions about the defense, so sudden shouldn't shock us that it's not up to snuff, But to me, it's worse than I thought out. The good news is there have been times in the last month or two when it's cleaned up in stretches. If the O's could show us in the second half, we can go a month with few mistakes, that would really be big. So the biggest surprise to me is the fundamentals they worked on all spring have been a little leaky in the first half. Tim what do you got, I'm.
Speaker 3: Gonna go one positive, one negative, Steve how about positive first blaze Alexander unbelievable and it's so unfortunate that he suffered the fractured hand, and who knows how long he's going to be out, but it's going to be weeks before we see him.
Speaker 4: But he came into the year as a super utility guy. He was sort of.
Speaker 3: Seen like, all right, can he sort of fill that ramon Urrius void that was left last year? And he got pressed into action and he has played so well that they can't take him out of the starting lineup. And and sitting three sixty five with a nine to two OPS since May first, leads the majors in batting average since May first. But guys, you look at who he's has a higher OPS than in that stretch, Freddie Freeman, Kyle Schwarber, Nick Kurtz, Rappie Devers, That's just the name a few, And this is Blaise Alexander had a higher OPS than all of those guys since May first, hitting four sixty two with runners in scoring position.
Speaker 4: He's just been fantastic and his.
Speaker 3: Ability to play all over the field, he is just so invaluable to this team. And then the the negative surprise I mean, we've gotten this far through the show, guys, we haven't mentioned Connor Henderson, and and.
Speaker 4: I just I thought that Gunner.
Speaker 3: I was convinced that Gunner Henderson would have a monster season. I thought this was going to be a revenge for coming off the WBC, in which you know, he didn't get enough playing time. But when he did, he really had a great, great WBC. And it just hasn't happened for Gunner. And you see the frustration boil over it. He's got a career low slash line batting average on base slug ops and then you just look at some of the numbers where it's really befuddling. You know, with two strikes he's hitting one oh four. When he's ahead in the count, he's hitting one sixty two. You know, the strikeouts have been alarming, that the errors have been alarming, had another one yesterday. It's just it hasn't been the season that Orioles fans or Gunner Henderson would have hoped for thus far.
Speaker 4: Yeah, those are good picks there.
Speaker 2: I had Brain Young and I had Blaze also, But surprise, I'm going to go with some bullpen guys that I feel like have been the biggest surprise so far, and Rico Versi is at the top of the list to me. Early on in this season, I mean, who knows what the record looks like if he's not out there throwing. I think it was eighteen in one hit or something like that, Like just absurd numbers to start the year. And he really solidified the back end of that bullpen when Hellsy was a little shaky at times. He was kind of the the utility and after they could send out there guys on base, he was getting saves, he was getting holds to kind of keep the leads where they were at. And I just don't know where the team would have been in April when it kind of felt like it was gonna be up or down. You don't know where it was going to go without him being there at the back. You just don't know what the record would have been like or what those losses would have done to this team early on after having the bad start they had last year. If you don't have Rico Garcia kind of solidifying some of those games, you just don't know where the season goes. And then I just want to give some shout out to Yeniorko. I think, you know, after the last year and a half or so, just kind of, you know, is it going to be the guy they had in twenty three anymore?
Speaker 6: Is that?
Speaker 2: Is that picture gone? And I think he's done a great job of bringing that splitter out and just having such a weapon with the sinker and the splitter, the four or five mile an hour difference that he's had. Just the confidence is back there. He's got the stare down back at hitters when he has those good outings, and he's done a great job just kind of being, you know, the sixth seventh eighth inning guy that they needed. And with the injuries across the pitching stat without you or Cano, Enrico Garcia both, I just don't know where this season's at right now. They could be seven, they could be ten, eleven, games under five hundred if those guys aren't putting up zeros when they did. And I know bullpen guys is kind of you know, it's it's not up to them to win or lose games a lot of times, but sometimes they're in positions that they could lose the game. And these guys, I feel like I have done a better job of not giving away games and giving away extra runs when these games could have got away. So I just want to give a shout out to some of my bullpen guys. I feel like they've done a really good job just kind of holding it down for the Orioles so far to this season, and it's been a really good, pleasant surprise to watch.
Speaker 1: We got a couple more superlatives and awards to get to in a moment on Birdland Territory.
Speaker 8: Big Bad Morning Show, Finny and Haiti Inside Accents live on YouTube weekdays six till six, search Baltimore one O five seven the Fan, Subscribe for daily shorts right to your phone and never miss what you missed. One O five seven the Fan.
Speaker 1: All Right, guys, we'll go quick through the thes and Tim you're up first on this one Oriel Prime for a big second half.
Speaker 3: I'm going with Trevor Rodgers, guys, And maybe it's cheating a little bit because he's really on the serious hot streak right now. But a four four eight era in the first half and a guy that the era was over ten in the month of May, I think we're gonna see a lot more closer to what we saw in twenty twenty five and that's what we're seeing over the past seven starts. He's got a one to seven to three ERA over his last seven starts, which is very similar to the ERA that he had in the twenty twenty five season.
Speaker 4: Now, is he gonna be here the entire time? We shall see.
Speaker 3: We still have a couple more weeks of important games and we'll figure that out. But I think Trevor Rodgers the four seam fastball has been huge for him as well over this stretch. And we had him on one of five seven the Fan on Friday and him just talking about getting back to his process, slowing things down, not being as you know, frenetic on the mound as he was. And I think he's in a very very good headspace right now, guys. And I think he's gonna have a big, big second half.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go with Jackson Holliday kind of a guy on the outskirts, I feel like, not really, I just feel like this past weekend he looked super confident. In last week, his at bats have gotten a lot better. He's still gonna have the swing and miss, He's still going to strike out. I think that's just part of the player that he is. But he was taking some really confident walks. And I know that that might sound like, Okay, wow, he's gonna walk more, but to me, that just shows me he's seeing the ball better. And I think he's starting to feel one hundred percent, which I don't know if he has all here with his hand the injury and not having enough time, and it's still hard to believe that he's such a young player. He doesn't know what it's like to have a full season healthy, playing every single day. And I just think over the last weekend he had that I think it was four hit game at which tied a career high, and he just looks really confident at the play, and I really like the swings in that bats that he's taken, and I think it could be a big with Blaze going out, they're gonna need somebody to step up on the infield and get some more hits with runners in scoring position, and I just think he's gonna play every day, and I just feel like he's gonna start coming into his own a little bit more. I was excited to see him play a full season this year, and I think he's getting closer to being one hundred percent and feeling more confident, and that's what I saw in those those are bats that he had and looking forward to a big second half from Jackson Holliday.
Speaker 1: Dittoh, that was my pick, Jackson. I love the four hit game, seven ops in limited time against lefty pitching. And you hear Albernets talk he believes in this kid as an everyday player, which tells me the ore that's what they see. They picked them one one for a reason. I think he's going to get a lot of starts, especially with Blaze out that takes one option out of the lineup, and I just think he's gonna do it. He's about league average little under now, and I agree with everything you said Brad about that, and I'm gonna say Jackson Holliday brings us to our last category for the day, and that is a bold prediction for the rest of the year. I'll go first, the Oils make the playoffs after trading Taylor Ward and Trevor Rodgers. I like it instead be bold, So there it is. I just think they'll get great offers for both. They haven't shown any inclination to sign Trevor Rodgers for whatever reason. The team has not reached out. What's the message. The message to me is they're going to get the best they can for two months and try to make do with a big loss to the rotation. It would be kind of a stunner. That's my ball prediction. What do you say, Brad? I like that.
Speaker 6: I like that.
Speaker 2: My bull prediction is that they're gonna lead the Ale on home runs in the second half. It's not crazy, I don't think. But I just think this past weekend, you saw the bats coming out, and to me watching Pete Alonzo not, I feel like he hasn't hit a home run the left field. He's getting comfortable hitting at Camy Yards, knowing that it's not city field anymore. It's not a big right center field gap. He can stay center to the right center and hit a ton of home runs. I think he just he sets the tone for the entire offense. And with Jackson Holliday, I think he's gonna hit a few more. Taylor Ward if he's around, I think he hits a few more. And I think the bats come out. It's gonna get hot in Baltimore's we know this summer, and I just feel like there's gonna be a lot of long balls hit the second half.
Speaker 3: We are very similar, Brad. I So right now the Orioles are tied for twelfth in the majors in home runs with one hundred and seventeen.
Speaker 4: I think they're gonna finish top five or right around there.
Speaker 3: Right now, the Dodgers or fifth with one hundred and twenty seven home runs, So they're ten home runs off the pace, not crazy, and I do think that they're primed for a big second half. Guys, you look Pete, Gunner and Sam they all have a very good shot of hitting over thirty home runs.
Speaker 4: And then you know, like both you and.
Speaker 3: Steve are talking about Brad Jackson Holliday, I think he's gonna have a bigger second half Atley. Rutchman already missed a bunch of games. You expect him to be more healthy in the second half. He could certainly hit more. If Taylor Wards here, he'll hit more. Kobe Mayl he'll probably play more during Blaze. Alexanders Stinson he already has twelve home runs himself.
Speaker 4: So I think this offense.
Speaker 3: Will drive the ball more in the second half, and I think they got a shot to finish top five or close to it.
Speaker 4: In home runs at the end of the season.
Speaker 1: That would bode well for the team because there are some fans who believe they're too relying on homers, but when they get them are pretty good. So maybe they are. And there'll be some nights they won't be there and they lose or get shut down. But the second half weather gets warmer. Campden Yards not as homer friendly as it once was, but you can still reach some parts of that ballpark, so that would bode well for the team in the second half. All right, guys, another great one in the books. Thanks to Tim and Brad. I'm Steve Mleski and thanks to you guys for watching. Please subscribe to the channel and we'll see you next time on the next Birdland Territory.