Speaker 1: Cool media.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, Robert Evans here, and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode, So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's going to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions, all right.
Speaker 3: This is the last night of the DNC episode or reporting from our homes now, which is great because I feel like death. Garrison Davis is here, I'm Sophie Lichterman, Robert Evans is here.
Speaker 4: We more or less survived the DNZ. SOPHI took a few hits there at the end. So the DNC is over, it's wrapped up, it's all finished, Thank goodness. Tiring in a very different way than the RNC, and I mean obviously a very different demographic. And this is something that I noticed just as soon as they got to the air, Like when I got to the gate for the RNC, it was like, oh, I'm here for the RNC, And when I got to the gate for the DNC, it was Oh, this is just a regular airport gate.
Speaker 5: This is just normal people.
Speaker 4: There's a very broad demographic that you know, pretty fairly would represent whatever city you happen to come from. And in calling these people normal, that's not saying they're necessarily good people, but they're normal people. Sure, they're into politics, maybe a little bit more than your average person, but by and large they are kind of regular people and including shitty in a lot of the ways that regular people are shitty about politics, whether that be their views on Palestine, Gaza, queer people. But it's a pretty pretty normal demographic base.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the difference between like when something I showed up at our gate for the RNC, we took off our masks because the threat at that point was being on a mask surrounded by Republicans, yes.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, it was like the risk to our lives was greater than the risk of COVID.
Speaker 6: To our lives safe few eyes, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Whereas we just kind of treated the flights to and from the DNC like normal flights, like like you'd handle the normal precautions just regular people.
Speaker 6: Some of that has to do with the fact that Chicago's like a much larger city.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure, but yes.
Speaker 4: But I mean I got into the conversation with a delegate from Georgia who was sitting right next to me, you know, young guy, mid twenties. Very clearly everyone on the plane was going to the DNC, at least for me, And yeah, I mean you just had like a regular conversation.
Speaker 1: Was it little John?
Speaker 5: No, no, Sophie, it was not okay, cool?
Speaker 2: So if he little John as a senior citizen, now it's.
Speaker 1: Little John, thank you so much.
Speaker 4: But no, he was this this young, kind of nominally progressive democrat who is excited. This is I think, I think his first time going excited to vote for Kamala and much more excited about her than Joe. He also just finished his college program to get a criminal justice degree, so it's like, yeah, this is this.
Speaker 5: Is who the democratic area.
Speaker 4: Yeah, random, kind of kind of queer, but definitely sis dude, like I said, gay dude, bisexual, whatever, but yeah, it's gonna reform, reform that criminal justice from the inside. Yeah, anyway, kind of I just wanted to descry about talking with this kind of those kind of general convention demographics because that's basically the same.
Speaker 5: It felt well inside the convention as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, a lot more. What I will say is a lot more women who are like middle aged at the d NC, like that was the overwhelmingly most common demographic on like at the convention that I noticed.
Speaker 4: And probably more racial diversity than a lot of than a lot of cities probably Honestly, Yeah, I guess that's a good general sign, but it's not a great sign just in and of itself, right, I guess it's it's good for kind of the general future of this country, but it doesn't it doesn't really affect many of the biggest problems that were kind of addressing, whether that be you know, gazo that, whether that be police brutality, whether that be all all of these other things, LGBTQ issues, the economy, right, like that does not necessarily equal over onto any of those, at least at the DNC. But you know that is that is a general trend that that that the country is heading towards.
Speaker 7: It seems.
Speaker 5: So there you go, and my god, was there a lot of people there was.
Speaker 3: There was such an unhinged amount of people, like I can't even.
Speaker 2: It was so much bigger and so much more crowded than the d r n C.
Speaker 3: I set this online when right wingers were trying to be like there was nobody there, which was like, you're you're so dumb.
Speaker 2: It was vastly more crowded, but like.
Speaker 3: At the R and C, most of the time, we generally had an entire road to ourselves.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was always easy to find seating, super eased to find a spot to sit any time during the R and C. Not true for the DNC, very challenging to find a seat. And this kind of brings us to the last day of the convention, horrible.
Speaker 5: The three of us wrap up.
Speaker 4: A very nice dinner with mister Vermin supreme lovely, possibly the most ethical presidential candidate this year.
Speaker 2: The only presidential candidate who has been maced with a member of the cool Zone media team. We can say that much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we have a great to dinner with them. We walked over to the DNC, massive massive lines coming outside, terrible, and then we get told it's okay, there's a special press entry, so we bypass all those lines. We are feeling great, We are feeling like gods, just passing by hundreds and hundreds of people waiting waiting line to get in the DNC. It was a very powerful feeling. I've never felt that empowered before.
Speaker 2: Oh Garrison, oh you sweet summer child.
Speaker 5: It was wonderful.
Speaker 1: It was really a rush that can't be described.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I almost didn't want to let you guys know that the whole venue is at capacity.
Speaker 4: So we get up to the door after just breezing through, going past all of those lines, and we get to the door and all.
Speaker 5: The doors are shut.
Speaker 4: Yeah, their secret service at every entrance saying that nobody can get in because the venue.
Speaker 5: Is at capacity.
Speaker 4: And the crash, oh my god, the crash that we had from our high so so bad.
Speaker 2: I talked to a couple of police officers outside the venue who were like, yeah, the fire marshals are here, like's it was literally I do think that it from and from everything I've read since, I think their reboarding was accurate. Yes, Like there were just more people than were allowed to be in the building.
Speaker 3: They definitely let more people in than they should have. Yeah, However, there was a group of journalists with Garrison and myself that were waiting to be let in, and there was like triple the amount of people to journalists that left in the time that we were standing there, which was a very long time. And let me just say, the Secret Service officer really enjoyed telling a bunch of journalists that we couldn't come in. He was having a g night, ruining our night.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's nothing that makes me happier than making a journalist miserable. So I actually do feel some solidarity there. You know, I would love to tell a bunch of journalists fuck you.
Speaker 4: I was certainly skeptical because of just how many people were getting let out, because I really wanted to see how full the venue actually was. And after waiting for nearly for two hours, two hours.
Speaker 6: Two hours, two hours, I went home.
Speaker 5: Pablo's speech already started.
Speaker 3: I abandoned you, and then some media logistics person from the Secret Service entrance every five minutes would point at ten people like they were the chosen ones to let them.
Speaker 1: Into the arena.
Speaker 3: And on round three or four, Gary and I did, in fact get in and run up like seven or eight flights of stairs, which I'm still feeling.
Speaker 2: You made the cut. You made the cut.
Speaker 7: We did.
Speaker 2: I bet Tim Walls whispered your very names into the ears of that Secret Service agent.
Speaker 3: Although I do feel like a piece of me is still on those stairs because it was brutal.
Speaker 5: It was bad.
Speaker 4: And then we got up to kind of the floor of the arena that we usually entered into and they were not lying. It was way too full. There was not a single seat available. People were standing in the fire exits, people were standing on the stairs and the hallways inside the actual arena. It was, in fact a real safety hazard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do really feel the need to emphasize not one of those things where the cops were fucking over the press or whatever for their own It was a serious issue.
Speaker 4: No, we saw, We saw firefighters inspecting the hallways and letting a whole bunch of fire code violations fly. Yeah, we were not supposed to be standing in the middle of tent stairwell. And yeah, we got inside just in time for the foreign policy, border patrol, and geopolitics section of Kamalis's speech. And we will talk about her speech, including those aspects, right after we come back from this ad break.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 4: The final speech of the DNC arguably the most important one, Although the DNC just went on for so long that I was so checked out by that last day.
Speaker 3: Honestly, it was just Bill Clinton's nine hour speech where he just was just the oldest man who's ever lived.
Speaker 2: No, he's convinced me. You know, I watched last night several episodes of the show about him committing a sex crime as the president, and it really reminded me. Boy slick Willy's gotten old.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you for music. My dad's nickname for Bill Clinton on Mike Click Willy.
Speaker 2: That's every dad's nickname for Bill Clinton.
Speaker 3: My dad loves to call him that. Anyways, Garrison, we got up there. We are standing in a crowd of journalists just trying to get a glimpse of what's going on. And is there any particular part of the speech you want to talk about, because there's a few things that come to mind for me.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, I have notes on like the whole speech, just you know, a few lines from each little section. And I think this speech was more important than most of Trump's speeches, because we've heard Trump speak, you know, a bajillion times.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 4: I will say Trump's R and C speech was important because this was his first speech after getting shot at in the head. And similarly, I think this speech for Kamlo was extremely important because this is basically her second presidential speech. The speech she's been using for her campaign trail has been the same stump speech for the past month. It's been the same one delivered many times, which is not a regular But this is the first time we've really heard her do a new speech, and this is her introduction as a presidential candidate to the entire world. As she took the stage, there's obviously tons of cheers chants of usay. She opened by praising Biden's record and his character, saying that that history will will prove him to have such a great record and character. And then she framed her own personal story as like a template of like the American journey, right, saying, quote, I'm no stranger to unlikely journeys unquote.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: She talked about her mother as an immigrant, saying her parents met at a civil rights gathering and then her dad taught her to be fearless, although her dad also, I guess probably failed to teach her how to be a good Marxist, but she did not bring that part up in this speech.
Speaker 2: Complicated relationship, but we all get to have one.
Speaker 4: Yes, But her parents taught her and her sister about, you know, different different civil rights leaders, including civil rights lawyers that fought civil rights in court, and Kamala said, this is what inspired her to go to law school. Although you know, very famously, she did not become like a civil rights lawyer.
Speaker 5: She became a prosecutor.
Speaker 4: And Kamala said that this was inspired by her high school best friend getting molested by her stepfather and that's what got her to want to go down the prosecutor path.
Speaker 6: That was the first time that I had ever heard her talk about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hadn't heard that either.
Speaker 5: She literally did a few other times, obviously not on that large of a stage.
Speaker 4: Yes, no, No, There was a lot of talk about that, and a lot of talk about her focus on like familial sexual abuse, molestation and other sex crimes as a prosecutor, like basically framing that as like her specialty, and that was a good part of what she focused on, which he was a courtan prosecutor.
Speaker 5: The line that she.
Speaker 4: Used to refer to her work in the court was that quote, everyone has a right to safety, dignity, and justice. So that was kind of the introduction to Kamala and her background. That was like who she was, where she came from. And then the speech pivoted to talking about orange Man Bad, which worked very well in twenty twenty, and I think we're going to see more of that. The closer we get to the election.
Speaker 2: One way or the other is the last time you're gonna get to make hay out of it, and so you might as well do that while the sunshine.
Speaker 3: Yes, honestly, that was the general theme of the DNC speeches for me, was like orange.
Speaker 2: Man bad, we got one last shot.
Speaker 3: We can be good for you, be good with us, We're good orange Man back.
Speaker 4: It's even less that they want to be elected to make any actual progressive change. It's that in order to do that in the future, we first need to beat Donald Trump. And that was kind of the guiding the guiding principle of most of the DNC and commalist speech. She called this election a fight for America's future.
Speaker 2: It's infuriating that, like we deal with this again right where we have to like sit down and knock the Republicans out and end a chunk of the conservative ideology in this country because literally nothing can progress without doing that, and we still can't handle the more fundamental problems. But you know, that's the way it is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And she talked a lot about voting rights, saying that Trump tried to throw away your vote and when that didn't work, he directed an armed mob to the capital to overthrow the election. She talked about how Trump wants to deploy the military against protests, although she said he wanted to play the military against quote our own citizens, but this was in reference to him wanting to deploy the military against protests. And she framed the Supreme Court's new ruling to give president's immunity in court from criminal prosecution as imagining Trump but now without any guard rails, which of course is very scary. And part of this is Project twenty twenty five again trying to reiterate this as the Republican's playbook in case Trump is able to get back into office. Mentions of Project twenty twenty five starting a series of we are not going back chance, which I think is probably some of the best messaging the Democrats have the opertion of deploying this go around. I know there was an upper Democratic strategist who has been meeting with the Kamala team who said that this messaging doesn't work because it's too vague and too negative and not enough focused on the future, and thankfully the Democrats, or at least Kamala's team, did not listen to that guy, because that is the most wrong a man has ever been. This messaging has been played very well in person at all these rallies, and especially at the DNC. Kama talked a little bit about economics, saying, quote, we are charting a future towards a strong and growing middle class unquote, and quote, we will build an opportunity economy where everyone has a chance to compete and a chance to succeed unquote, which I guess is fine.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I have a few kind of issues with this, mainly like what happens when you don't succeed and what happens to the lower class. Throughout the entirety of the DNC, there's been a lot of talk about growing a strong middle class and a big focus on the middle class, but very little focused on actually helping the people that are having it the hardest in this country instead really really catering to like the middle class voter. And I don't know, it's it's like there's a lot of talk about labor. There's a lot talking about like working people, like workers' rights, that stuff all has a pretty big spotlight at the DNC this year, but very little mentions of how we can actually improve life for the lower class.
Speaker 5: She did talk about, you know.
Speaker 4: Very vague gestures towards lowering the cost of everyday needs, but so far she's kind of yet to unveil any actual solid policies. Really we have that first time home buyers like twenty five K.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's proposed some details on like how to help increase the number of first time home buyers and build an additional like three million homes in the United States, Like there's been some but it is all kind of vague at this point.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 2: One thing that they do have going for them is when the dim say, like we're going to cut inflation. You know, we've seen inflation drop from the post pandemic highs over the last couple of years to the point where it's at now, so like that is that, you know, there's a leg to stand on there. And in general, I actually think one of the better economic points was made by Clinton during his speech, which is that, like the vast majority of jobs that have been created over all of our lifetimes have been created under democratic presidents, and you know if you can't, if like that's your voting issue. The polls are also moving in the direction of that. People seem to be trusting Kamala more on the economy. Yan, they trusted Biden even though there's not really a perfectly logical reason to do that. But this is elections aren't about logic, right, Like.
Speaker 5: No, They're about vibes.
Speaker 2: They're about vibes in a lot of ways. They're about vibes. And I do think the dims. I think the dims have that actually, like the good headwinds on and now a lot can change in the next seventy days or so. What I really saw with this speech and with this convention as a whole, was the Democratic Party embracing the middle and some conservatives. And yeah, they tried not to be too directly abrasive to progressives and the left.
Speaker 5: But they weren't catering to them.
Speaker 2: But they were not catering to it.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Kamala did attack Trump on taxes, specifically saying that trumpill do tax breaks to his billionaire friends, it'll add a five trillion too the national debt, and she called Trump's tariff proposal basically a national sales tax, or a Trump tax that will raise costs for middle class families by up to four thousand dollars a year, which is in line with the whole bunch of economists' predictions if Trump's tariffs do go through, and then again gesturing to kind of vague policy ideas without actually proposing strict policies, saying that quote, we will provide access to capital for entrepreneurs, small business owners, and founders, warning that Trump will ban abortion pills and enact in national abortion ban and force the states to report on people's abortions and miscarriages, and instead of common will sign into law a bill that protects abortion access nationally, as well as calling to pass the John Lewis Voting Rights Act and the Freedom to Vote Act, and more kind of vague gestures towards protecting the freedom to love who you love, to have clean air and clean water, and the freedom that unlocks all others, the freedom to vote. So that's kind of the most of the domestic policy section of the speech, and that is the part of the speech that we missed. And then we came in right started talking about the border, saying again that, like many others have talked about the DNC how the Democrats and Republicans worked together to write the strongest border bill in decades, and Kamala said that this bill was endorsed by the Border Patrol which it wasn't. It was endorsed by the Border Patrol.
Speaker 5: Union, but who cares.
Speaker 4: And Kamma talked about how Trump called Republicans to kill the bill so that Democrats couldn't take credit, and she promised that she will bring back this bill and sign it into law, saying that, quote, we can create an earned pathway to citizenship and.
Speaker 5: Secure our border unquote.
Speaker 4: So again, this is one of the areas that Democrats I think have lost the most amount of ground on the past like eight years, and they are still kind of willing to seed it. And then in terms of like geopolitics and foreign policy, one line of kammalist that has kind of cotton some flak, but also I don't know, I'll just read it, we can talk about it. She said that quote, I will ensure America always has the strong I guess to most lethal fighting force in the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so did you guys, what did you think by the use of that language.
Speaker 3: I think she was trying to appeal to the voters that don't think a woman can lead.
Speaker 1: That's the end of my sentence.
Speaker 5: Agreed.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting, I feel very differently.
Speaker 4: I found this as being a reaction to right wing and centrist attacks kind of questioning her strength as a leader. Yea, So she went for very very like intense language on this.
Speaker 2: So I feel very differently about that. And I think this may be just due to the fact that I've kind of some more experience with how people in the NATSK space speak, because the phrasing that she used, it's been lampooned a lot online. We've all had a couple of some bits about, you know, talking about I don't want a lethal the most lethal military in the world. I want this or that, but like that's what the military does. No, no, Well, lethality is also a meme term, right, Like that's the way it is used in this space. Like if you go to like speeches where people who are involved in any level as contractors in the military industrial complex making arms working for like, it is all about when they're talking about like improving efficiency within the air Force, it's about lethality, right, we are increasing lethality, Like that is our goal. That's what we're doing here today, because that is the measure by which you determine the success of the organization. So what I saw Harris as doing by using that specific terminology was not I am trying to talk extra hard in order to burnish my credentials because conservatives are going to attack me. It was Trump is actually kind of weak on the national security stuff, especially within the community of people who are like Natsek gools Yeah, right, within people who are members who have are born and raised members like my family, a lot of them, of the military industrial complex, the people who have their professions in that space, right, they actually don't all like Trump a lot. And some evidence of that was recently he made some statements where he essentially insulted Medal of Honor recipients that like the VFW came out and attacked Trump, which is wild, like absolutely unpaced.
Speaker 1: I do think it's a little bit.
Speaker 3: I definitely agree with you, Robert, but I do think it's a little bit of what gar and I were talking about as well. An another thing that I'm just thinking of, as Robert saying that, is just how often Trump has said that, you know, the war, the war in Ukraine wouldn't happen if he was in office, that like he putn't scared of him and things like that, as like one of his main reasons why we should re elect him is because he commands authority and nobody did anything bad when he was in power. And I think a lot of that has to do with Kamala's language choice.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's it's she said what she said because it was a way of expressing like.
Speaker 4: Like an internal signifier to other people in the NAT sock space.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was. It was.
Speaker 5: It was a way of saying that I am not just I'm not an outsider.
Speaker 2: I am a professional. I understand and speak about this the same way that you guys do.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, yeah, right, No, I can I can see that.
Speaker 2: You know, the whole speech I kind of saw in those terms. It was very much calculated. I could see who they were trying to get with that speech. There was a bit in there for everybody, uh, and they were trying to get kind of those moderate chunks of every group, including moderate chunks of the people whose like primary issue is gaza, right, because there is a chunk of the people who's who are are mostly concerned to this election with what the fuck we're going to do about Gaza. But also are not you know, hardline communists or whatever? You know, are people who like the uncommitted folks, really want to embrace the Democratic Party, and are maybe.
Speaker 5: People who still believe in the system want to just.
Speaker 2: Need a little bit of a lie that they can go along with to vote right, Like Kamala was attempting to kind of give because she didn't announce a substantive change in policy. No, her verbiage on Gaza in this speech was the same as the kind of stuff that like Obama was saying, honestly, like ten years ago.
Speaker 6: Sure, Gary, do you have a quote of what she said? Yeah, let's talk about it. But first let's head to our last ad.
Speaker 1: Break real quick.
Speaker 4: All right, let's talk about her closing remarks relating on foreign policy and Palestine. I guess there's a few other kind of general foreign policy things. Yeah, saying that under her watch, quote, we will lead the world into the future on space and artificial intelligence, America, not China will win the competition for the twenty first century unquote. She framed Trump as an ally of Russia and Putin, and she claimed that she will help us quote stand strong with Ukraine and our NATO allies. And then finally, one of the last things she talked about was Israel Palestine, saying, quote, President Bien and I are working around the clock. Now is the time to get a hostage deal done and a ceasefire deal done. This had a decent sized cheer. She followed this up by saying, quote, we will always stand for Israel's right to defend itself and ensure Israel has the ability to defend itself unquote. And I think this signals mostly to people that it's unlikely she will adopt anything resembling an arms embargo, And there was a lot of internal pressure from the uncommitted folks, people who got into the DNC trying to push on this topic, specifically because Democrats are now kind of adopted kind of vague ceasefire rhetoric. Now, the goalpost does need to be shifted towards something that will actually stop the bombing of families inside Gaza, and that is an arms embargo, some kind of conditions on the way that bombs and weapons are going to be used. And I think this line signified that that is probably not going to take place, at least before the election.
Speaker 1: No, definitely, not before the election.
Speaker 2: Wait, that's very clear at this point.
Speaker 4: And she kind of both sides this issue. Yeah, Her last quote was quote, what has happened in Gaza over the past ten months is devastating. So many innocent lives lost, desperate, hungry people fleeing for safety. Why over and over again, the scale of suffering is heartbreaking.
Speaker 2: Whom is making them do this?
Speaker 4: President Biden and I are working to end this war such that Israel is secure, the hostages are released, the suffering in Gaza ends, and the Palestinian people can realize their right to dignity, security, freedom, and self determination.
Speaker 5: Unquote. And this was.
Speaker 4: Followed by what I would call the biggest cheers of the entire night.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 6: I was about to say the crowd reaction was massive to.
Speaker 4: That people lost it so much, bigger cheers than saying we will ensure Israel has the ability to defend itself. This closing line about dignity, security, freedom, and self determination for the Palestinian people gotten by far the biggest years.
Speaker 5: And but like, what does it mean? Like what are you actually saying?
Speaker 1: It means nothing?
Speaker 2: I mean, what all of that means to me? Is that like Democrats because they are normal people, they're not Republicans. They know how bad all this is. They hate it.
Speaker 5: They are mad at at and Yahoo.
Speaker 2: You only really need to see a couple of war crime videos to know that, like what happened is happening over there is ghastly. They also aren't willing to like nuke their lives and a lot of other people's lives to let Trump back in, right.
Speaker 4: And I do believe they genuinely view Israel as an extremely important ally in the Middle East.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they think that this could be fixed, right because like we did some awful stuff in Iraq, but then we elected Bobama and everything got better, right or something like that. Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, I mean like they don't like Netan Yahoo, the batting admin doesn't like that Yahoo because he's not efficient at war. He's efficient at doing like like an ethnic cleansing, he's efficient at doing wide civilian casualties, but he's not gonna actually like fighting this war very well. This is something that like Biden's team has consistently not been thrilled by, but they're not gonna do much about it. Kind of the last foreign policy line that she had was quote, I will never hesitate to take whatever action is necessary to defend our forces and our interests against Iran and Iran backed terrorists, and will not cozy up to tyrants and dictators like Kim Jong un who are rooting for Trump unquote. And I think basically this ties into a whole bunch of rhetoric that I've seen throughout the DNC, including from speakers, speakers who are either vets or active military, that seems to be kind of slowly preparing the Democratic Party for another war, for some kind of on the ground activity in the Middle East, whether that be in Lebanon, whether that be in Iran.
Speaker 5: It's like they're slowly just.
Speaker 4: Prepping us for the possibility of war or invasion.
Speaker 1: Oh, that does seem likely.
Speaker 4: This is a big part of like the Democratic Party's official like policy platform on Phalesteine, which they did release during the DNC, and a big part of that is about is talking about how important Israel is as a Middle East ally.
Speaker 2: Where will we fly our planes over.
Speaker 4: If they ever need to put troops on the ground. And I think that is so much of why they're unwilling to budge on anything resembling like an actual ceasefire or an arms embargo. Is because they view this as like a real possibility. Anyway, that was that was this speech. The balloons dropped. Everyone lost their minds. Yep, it's not a cult in the same way.
Speaker 2: But there's there's you can see one building.
Speaker 4: Maybe the party is a cult, but it's not a Kamala cult the same way the GOP is now a Trump cult, right, like the Republicans are now a Trump cult.
Speaker 10: It is.
Speaker 4: It is not a cult of like who is the leader in the DNC, but it is more of a cult of like ideology, which I guess the Republicans just don't even have anymore.
Speaker 2: It's not even that it's it's a cult of I think I would describe it as defensive cult making. Democrats have been so bewildered and frightened by the momentum that and his people have had over the last decade, and they have like responded in part by adapting some aspects of like the cultic milieu to wrap around these ideas that like are safe to them like that. That's a big part of the appeal of that don't go back champ right, which I think is a smart bit of politics and I think actually it has the potential to save quite a bit of lives, particularly at least of like queer trans people in the United States. So I'm not saying this is bad politics, but there is a level of cultiness to that where you are kind of enrapturing people with this possibility of constant forward motion that we all know doesn't feel as true as it felt in twenties fifteen or fourteen, you know, it doesn't feel as possible as it felt in twenty twelve or two thousand and eight. That they're kind of trying to sell people on if we can just get over the hurdle of these Republicans, right, we can get back to the period where like things felt like we were all moving in the right direction, and that's magical thinking, Yeah.
Speaker 5: We can get back to a period of steady progress.
Speaker 2: I try to be even about this because as I wrote that episode, the fucking don't panic episode, because I was looking at people's talking on Reddit and Twitter and just in real life and being like, I think some folks might kill themselves soon, yeah, out of fear of the Republicans. So I really hope no one reads what I'm saying is like, ah, these stupid libs and their hope fetish It's like no, no, no, but it's still a cultic belief. It's not rational. It may be necessary sometimes irrational beliefs are necessary, sure, but there's not a good reason for it yet. And don't fall too far. Like fall, try not to fall further down that hole. Then you need to fall in order to keep yourself alive for the next eight months.
Speaker 4: So, even though Trump has spoke a lot the past eight years, his speech at the ER and C I think was important because it was the first one post assassination. His viewership for that speech peaked at twenty eight point four million. Viewership for Kamala's speech Thursday night peaked at twenty eight point nine million. So she edged him out just barely, at least in terms of peak numbers, by about five hundred thousand views.
Speaker 1: Very even, very even, yeah.
Speaker 5: Very even.
Speaker 4: And again like Kama's not spoken tons, there's a lot of people of tuning in to see what she sounds like, kind of for the first time on a big national platform. And meanwhile, I think people are just briefly tuning into Trump just to see what he's like after getting shot in the head. And I will read a few of Trump's tweets of.
Speaker 2: Well, he's not doing well. He's not doing well at all?
Speaker 1: Man, was he spiraling? Oh my god?
Speaker 5: From Kamala's speech? He just started by all caps, is she talking about me?
Speaker 2: Excellent, incredible stuff, Donald, buddy, I can tell you're slipping because four years ago, if you'd tried to tweet that out, you wouldn't have had to hear it from someone. There would have been a voice in your own head before you pressin that would have been like, don't do that, Donnie, come on, Donnie, come on, come on, You're better than.
Speaker 4: This quote too many thank yous, too rapidly said what's going on with her? Followed by one minute later in all caps, where's Hunter see again?
Speaker 2: His prime? It would have been something. It would have been something like loopy harror, shit, some shit. He would have made some sort of insulting remark about her personal appearance and ignored the rest of the speech.
Speaker 4: One one minute later, Walls was an assistant coach, not a coach.
Speaker 2: That's such a weak.
Speaker 1: Very funny, very funny.
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Most American men have been on a sports team, and we all know you just call them all coach. Everyone is like coach, They're just all coach. You don't say assistant coach. No player in a football team is everything like, hey, assistant coach, could you come over here? Like that's just not the way people are.
Speaker 1: No wow, anything else.
Speaker 4: A few months ago, we did an episode talking about kind of polls that is now largely outdated because Biden's no longer in the race, but we did talk about how most people's pick for president was literally anybody else. We saw one booth at the DNC protest that was literally anyone else themed booth, And oh boy, do I have news for you, buddy.
Speaker 7: Good news.
Speaker 4: But we do have some polling data kind of on how satisfied people feel based on their choices for this presidential election. Now, obviously there's there's a small post convention bump for Harris, but that that that kind of usually tapers off. But in terms of their satisfaction of the candidacy options, in May, only fifty five percent of Democrats said they were satisfied. Now seventy nine percent say they're satisfied. Massive and for Republicans, back in May, sixty eight were satisfied and now seventy four are satisfied, so but both are moving towards higher satisfaction. And obviously the giant shift in Democrat numbers is because is because of Kamala now and they're more satisfied with her than Republicans seem to be with Trump, which is which is an interesting stat And this is based on a New York Times Seata College poll of registered voters in Arizona, Georgia, Nomada, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.
Speaker 5: So that's just.
Speaker 4: A few a few interesting a few interesting little notes there as we close out this week talking about the DNC. And then finally I have one kind of little funny anecdote. As we were leaving the DNC after Kamala's speech, means, Sophie was walking around this area of Chicago trying to get far enough away from the convention center to get nuber and I saw this guy maybe in his like oh so funny, probably in his twenties, who is either about to block up or just de blocked.
Speaker 5: And you can tell because he's wearing the pants he's wearing.
Speaker 2: Doc Martins Scarrison is referring to someone who has just taken off their black block as in the traditional kind of anarchist protest garb and put on normal street clothes so as to escape from a police cordon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so this guy was walking around, either about to go to the protest or just left still had the Doc martins On, had like the backpack full of his stuff. And as he walked by me, I just almost instinctively, like without thinking at all, this was this was this wasn't on purpose, Just instinctively, I kind of muttered to myself, I know what you are and and he heard this and like turned around, looking kind of like confused or concern, and I just had to I had to turn around. I just gave him a smile and a thumbs up, and he smiled back and kept and kept walking on. And that was my last interaction at the DNC, just like this a little bit of using to me. There was a protest of around similar numbers to Mondays, so maybe like three thousand, two thousand people for kind of the last march on the DNC last Thursday. So there was another one of these big kind of coalition led marches.
Speaker 2: Quickly. It was not far from Monday's numbers actually, which was impressive.
Speaker 4: Pretty close, pretty close, but they did not reach the fence on like last time, a small section of them did not break off from the protest marshals and bypass a section of the fence on onlike Monday, which did cause significant disruptions, but disruptions were not needed because the DNZ disrupted itself by overbooking the venue and having way too many people.
Speaker 5: So there you go. That was the DNC.
Speaker 6: I'm really glad it's over me too.
Speaker 2: I'm really glad it's over too. And I can't wait until twenty twenty eight when we all get to be together again to cover the next election. If there is.
Speaker 4: One, Comrade AOC proudly takes control. She raises the red flag on stage.
Speaker 2: Comrade AOC with her vice presidential candidate, the literal bones of Leon Trotsky running versus just an open chasm to the pit of Hell, an actual crack in the earth through which you can see the ephemeral forms of demons roiling in the magma below. That's gotta be a great gotta be a great one. Really excited for those conventions.
Speaker 1: And or Donald Trump Junior.
Speaker 2: Eric Trump and Donald Trump Junior, finally the Dream Team.
Speaker 5: I believe they could open up a chasm to Hell.
Speaker 8: I do.
Speaker 2: I think what would be more likely is if Eric Trump and Donald Trump Junior are on the same team with a bunch of secret Service agents, that we finally, finally have a presidential election decided from a fentanyl overdose. They get some tampered coke.
Speaker 1: Anyways, the podcast is over.
Speaker 11: I'm gonna go die now goodbye.
Speaker 10: When therefore, a man is told you your inner being are so and so because your skull bone is so constituted, this means nothing else than that we regard a bone as the man's reality. To retort upon such a statement, The retort here would properly speaking, have to go to the link, so breaking the skull of the person who makes a statement like that, in order to demonstrate to him in a manner as palpable as his own wisdom, that a bone is nothing of an inherent nature at all for a man still less his true reality. Welcome to knapp here. I'm your host, Bia Wong. That was the man himself, George Wilhelm Frederick Hegel from the Phenomenology of Mind.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna go full Ceesar shape post here like that's not.
Speaker 10: Hegel lovely and with me is as you as you have just heard is Emmie Flores, a queer socialist in Mexico City who's we've had on the show before talk about Mexican turfs, who's worked with Zapotisea Networks, And we are, once again, I think, delving into the terrifying, extremely well organized world of Mexican turfs. And I guess this is kind of a they're eating a bit of shit episode, which is good.
Speaker 7: We have good news in this show.
Speaker 10: Who very rare occurrence we have. We have a little bit of good news. Yeah, also, welcome to the show. Excited to have you back.
Speaker 7: I love it. I love the show, and I'm happy to update because last time we left on a real sour note, and this time, I mean, it's not exactly fantastic news, but things are looking up in this specific part, and I think you're going to introduce us to a massive dolly we just got worldwide.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so we ended up not doing a full episode on this, but one of the big sort of stories for the last few weeks.
Speaker 5: And I don't know.
Speaker 10: When this episod is gonna be coming out, so maybe this is gonna be ancient news by that point. But the day we're recording this is like one day after the Aegerian boxer in mon khalif I'd won the gold medal of the Olympics. She has been I mean, this story has been sort of beaten to death, but like she's been like accused of being a man and being like transgender, and like all of this shit from a whole bunch of like, I mean everyone from like Elon Musk to like jk Rowling to Meggan. Kelly's losing her mind about it. I forgot she even existed until this, but she's apparently around and doing this, you know. So so I think people sort of know the basics of this story, but there's a part of the story about sort of you know, I will, I guess we'll probably get into a little bit of this about how a lot of this is sort of manufactured by a bunch of incredibly sore losers and like weird transphobes in a incredibly corrupt like Russian ran boxing association, right right. But the other side of this, it has gotten absolutely zero coverage anywhere. Is that a huge amount of the attacks against against her were started by the Mexican Turf Network.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and so presently one of the few coverages I've seen has been in Mexican like feminist news, which is like part of the things that have changed since then, like Mexican and Latin American feminists have realized, oh, we fucked up, and we're trying to fix our mistakes. But sadly, I think the world suffered one of our latest mistakes.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so can you tell us about sort of how this whole thing started, which I think is like several years earlier than most people seem to really like understand.
Speaker 7: I think the corruption angle that we might expand a little bit more, that is the beginning of it. And I think it was a little bit and it was like in the wrong place at the wrong time. Let's be real, she won gold. I was not betting on her winning gold. Like, she's really good, but she's not like the buffiest out there. It's pure racism and convenience that she's been labeled and targeted the way the wish is because like you see her opponents and there are the buffiest girls I've ever seen in my life. They're incredible, Like every single athlete up there is amazing. And took pictures of her and say, you're telling me, this is not a man like she's like a little bit skinny honestly, Like she's really tall, so she has to be skinny to be competing that way.
Speaker 10: It's like have you had people ever seen a boxer before, Like it's just bad.
Speaker 7: Like one of the boxers that defended her, like she was offended, Like you're telling me that I've been in money before, and like I didn't even qualify for these year's Olympics. Like she's not invincible, even if this is probably her best best performance. Yea, she really show on the spotlight. I love her, but like she's not extremely muscular or anything. Not that being muscular is masculine, but like this was really just both racism and convenience. But part of that is uh. One of the first people who started complaining about this after the corrupt Russian Russian Oligor glad box in federation that got disqualified from the Olympics.
Speaker 10: Yeah, like again I want I want a plause here and everyone like take note of this. Do you understand how corrupt of an organization you have to be for the fucking Olympics to stop working with you, Like you have to make the Chicago fucking machine look squeaky clean for for the Olympics to network.
Speaker 12: Like when we're talking about every single other sport is also wind shit like this, Like they just went to greedy like they like in some Russian oligarch that got into fights with people during the war in Ukraine, and then they didn't stop doing corruption shit, Like they couldn't just take a year break.
Speaker 7: They had to push. Yeah, like they had to play two dirty. So at the end of the day in Manica disqualified with like trust me, pro levels of citations for her. No one knew for a while what what was the thing that disqualified her? What was it? Hormones, chromosomes, vibes. It turns out it's mostly vibes. Yeah, and uh so when when she got disqualified from a not an Olympic event, but uh corrupt Russian arclead event. A former boxer who lost against her, who's from Mexico, who sucks ass like she's really dog shit. She started posting pictures of her ruses after the match, and honestly, she reminds me of the Italian boxer that also got her ship rocks. Yeah, because they keep she did perform very well in Many at the at the end when when she got gold, but the very first like matches she got were against like how did these people get here?
Speaker 10: Yeah, like that that Italian boxer, Like this is the only time I will ever say this about something that happened in the Olympics.
Speaker 5: It's like the Italian boxer threw the.
Speaker 10: Worst punch I've ever seen and then instantly got punched by like the most obvious punch of the entire world in the face.
Speaker 5: It's like, wait, what are you doing? How did you get here?
Speaker 7: Like, and like I won't go deep into why why Brianda Tamara sucks so much as because that would have been the episode we ended up not doing, but suffice it to say, like she's just not in that level. She didn't qualify for a reason this time. But and also I noticed that she was waiting to do her proterview right now, like something fill planned about all of this. Yeah, Like she she announced that she retired from amateur boxing, which you not, honestly is the more legit boxing, don't at me. And she she's going bro which means she's now charging for tickets. And she announced her ProView the same day that this whole like bundle started for international people watching the Olympics. Like she very much knew that the people were gonna try something.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so she so she's using this as like boxing promoting, yeah, pretty much, which is like the shady ship.
Speaker 7: Yeah, boxing promoting in Cinela, which like if you know anything about Mexico, that's that's gonna be a couple of red les, oh boy. But so the thing is, why did she knew that she was gonna happen? Really says a lot about how international terms are operating nowadays, right, like I don't want to get all fucking Russia Gate and like like have my fucking persecure body pillow like some leaves have. But terms are trying to get money and influence anywhere they can, and some of them are trying to get in from Russia, right like yeah, it's if they're already putting people in concreation camps in China, like they say, hell, yeah, I want me some of that. And you know the Brits are something too focused on Britain. You need something international to make the money flow down to Latin America, especially out of Spain. Spain kind of hawks it all for themselves. The first new site that took the years ago translated to English is called Redox magazine like that, I think it's a Canadian joint reados. It's the only side I've seen in all of like the urf landscape that only publishes in English and Spanish. Like, it's very clearly a fulcrum for like terf organizing in Latin America and in the anglosphere. And I don't think it's a coincidence that this story broke quote unquote, Like the first people who commented on this and like renewed the accusations of Umana being trans was Redocs and then other like transphobic boxing coaches from Italy and England and the United States started picking up the story. But that was after like the more diplomatically minded Mexican turfs and Spanish turfs that usually don't work together. Again, they don't like to share. Listen, Mexico don't have the best relationship with Spain for obvious reasons. Yeah, But even then, like ass spaces for TERFs in Mexico had been closing, they're looking for funding from other places. Right, the turf gambit didn't work quite well in Mexico, so they're trying to look for international sponsor sponsorships, and they thought they had hit a big one here. They had the attention of the entire world. People were sharing Breanda's photos because like again, Brianda doesn't have it's not a good boxer, so she looks like a young short, pretty lated like beer Verista, and put her against like someone who's like a head taller that beat her ass because she she sucks. They couldn't ask for a very propaganda. Yeah, but it really backfired when the entire world went, what what are you talking about? Yeah, but I think it worked for Mexican turfs. I think they might get like a couple of grants here and there. They're back in the railar at least internationally, and that's why I think coming here is really important because we didn't win precisely, and we'll get to that, but at least we're in a stalemate, and I think they're trying to look for either allies or honestly job s elsewhere. They might just want a spot in Ridos magazine, like to get into like be able to move to Britain or shit like that.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I think is something that is important about the Mexican TERFs, which is like unlike in the US, where there's just this like unbelievably large pot of money that you can tap into from like the Heritage Foundation and like all of these sort of like right wing think tanks. It's like the funding is a lot harder to come by.
Speaker 7: We all have troubles getting funding.
Speaker 10: Lot.
Speaker 7: Yeah, any type of small grant that would be a nothing burger in America goes a long way here, right, And so the far right has been really smart and pushing stuff, but it hasn't really paid divends. And it's all gonna write up for a while, honestly, especially with like how the economy is going. I think in the Age of infinite money of twenty twenty, like they were willing to throw more money at like a long shot that in Brasil or Mexico right now. They got to bring something to the table, and they tried to bring in money, and they I think they fucking ate shit.
Speaker 10: Hell yeah, So okay, you know what else brings something to the table? It is the products and services that I put food on my table.
Speaker 5: I guess.
Speaker 7: God, all the other pros of this.
Speaker 5: Here are these.
Speaker 13: Ads and we are back.
Speaker 10: So I wanted to kind of move to talking about what's been happening in this sort of Mexican feminis scene in in terms of sort of what's what's been going on with her since the election of the new Mexican President, Claudia Shamebaum, Who's I don't know, like I think a lot of Americans, I think the conception of her is that she's like significantly further left, and she actually is.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, like I you know what, I felt so much Scott and Freud when like people started talking about Kamala like she was gonna end Aparth type and the general side, and I was like, how does see it? Fucking feel sorry, I'm really angry at every single article no one caocked her correctly, like both the far right and the left thought she was significantly to the left, like everyone said like, oh, finally a feminist Jewish woman, and like the Jewish Party is gonna play a part because like I do, feel we're gonna see a rise in anti Semitism in Mexico, a big one, Like say, I feel like a Birther style movement from when Obama was elected coming up and it's gonna play again. I see Claudie shamebamb She's not just an extension of Amelo and she is I would say, not further to the left than and there's whatever, but she has less right wing things about her, right, It's not like she's better than Handload, she's just less worse. She's she because like almost like an old Christian guy, like and I do mean Christian, Like this is a Catholic country, and Nanload is like I think it's he's like Pentecostal or something like he's never needed like what his relatives said, but he did do like weird right wing things, especially culturally, well I mean not everywhere right, Like we got hell of militarized, like half our infrastructure is owned by the military now, which is like just Jack Carton metoying ourselves like for free. And he goes on rants about how drugs are caused by valuing video games and like like he like for for a week, try to like say we should ban Fortnite. That didn't know anywhere, and I think it was just because his son didn't stop playing it. Maybe he overspent on the family credit card. But like, yeah, he's very like he has a very Christian morality, and it's a weird fit with Mexicans Catholic one in the weirdest way. Like he's very like work Will, like very Protestant ethics guy, and people didn't talk about that, and now they think Claudia is gonna bring like Jewish ethics. And no, she's like just like a Mexican scientist, like professional, like she's very much a scientist at least that's her self conception and how she operates. And she I think a lot of people underestimated her, like they just saw her as an appendage of Handlow, like with no real political document or skill of herself. She doesn't really have a base of voters. Again, she's like an academic like her bass voters are college graduates left lining college garrets, but not too left learning because otherwise you'll see like, hey, please stop militaries in our country. And yeah, so we didn't expect her to to win with like the margins that she did. She won with historic margins more both than a lookout. It's just she's so fucking shrue. And this ties to the TERFs because like four years we were really worried because like we thought she was a turf, Like we straight up thought she was a turf, even though she passed some of the largest like trends positive legislations in Mexico City. That was more like momentum from Mexico City being like this progressive center of Mexican politics, and like I know, I participated in getting that law pass, like like she wasn't happy about that. She basically was trying to get some Heritage Foundation funded folks to sit in a table and like have a big discussion, like a very very centristing thing of like let's listen to both sides. And it's because she had like some of the og TERFs from Mexico, like from some some of them like that started in the seventies, Like people who knew Jenny's raim when she was young were literally in Morena structure. Like during twenty twenty, like the women's agenda for Morena was set by turfs, by some of the the worst turfs, like some of the most internationally well connected turfs too, right, and that was a huge problem. We managed to push back against that with protests with like talking to politicians like not really begging, we just you know, that's a nice win do you have there? That would be a chief having too. And also that by like my collective, like we started focusing on like oh god, I don't want to say anymore because like since since Ukraine, like saying, oh, since soul Craine. But like we started like investigating and like tracking, like these people start showing up in like government positions. That was really worrying. Yeah, some of them were like very clearly affiliated with the far right, but some of them were they came from like union jobs on and she like that, or they like they were the anarchists throwing bricks at walls like a year ago, and we started seeing them get co opted slowly, and we were really scared. But then I think we underestimated that Claudia was playing us, but she was also playing them, Like she is a really shrewd political operator, and she gave TERFs enough to get them to do what terms do best, which is break up feminist organizing. Yeah, so whatever Cloudy could not directly co opt to like get like leaders, there were some like black Blocks in Mexico whose leaders like literally had in their linkedins that they were like doing like black blook shit.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, I know.
Speaker 7: It's incredible, And it just gave everything away because the same person who did that had in her LinkedIn like a year previously that she was like an eighty for a Marina congress woman. Oh my god, and h yeah, I think what Marina. They was infiltrate a lot of black blocks to neutralize them because during twenty twenty two years after Amlo got elected, like Mexican feminists were I would say, the biggest fire in social movements in Mexico, like with the Sapatistas getting surrounded by state sponsored narco cartels and stuff, like they were really paralyzed and with COVID and everything like that, like a lot of other organizing got real damaged. But feminists were like they were trying to get abortion passed, and they succeeded for most of it. But like institutional feminists succeeded banning abortion and more independent or street anarchists, socialist based feminists, they suddenly didn't have anything to demand. So they either got kushi government jobs or they got arrested or they helped the police arrest people, like by being like clearly just like you know the classic like eight people get arrested and one of them gets out in like a week and it's like ah yeah. And so like feminists got are road awakening, and before they were more permissive like cool feminists, like real leftists, socialist and queer feminists, were more permissive of TERFs during like the twenty sixteen two twenty twenty two because they thought, like, we need unity within feminism, we need to like get a version passed, we need to like combat both the far right and an lost conservatism. And well they won and a bunch of their leaders got co upted. We have an epidemic of like feminist activists passing laws with their names. Like the one movement that got defeated the worst is anti car solo feminism. Like forget about abolitionism in the carsonal sense. It's no one gave a shit about that. Even anarchists were trying to pass laws to like lay Olivia to scalp thats who haven't paid child support, Like they really at everything on punitivism. And that's the thing that united like every single segment of feminism, including rat friends centers, Like they love putting people in jail. It's their whole entire deal. And so but the thing is that's the way you get you co opt someone, You just tell her okay, instead of like being an archopunk like doing tagging government buildings. What if I just give you a shit a lot of money, and I pay for you to go to fancy hotels in every state and like talk about how important it is that we throw your X into a into a meat processing machine for like breaking up with you. Yeah, and I mean I'm being believed, like there's horrible shit, like we have to pass a lot to like give more time to people who threw acid at women's faces. Right, but like that's already legal. It's already legal. I don't know if it's gonna work that well, especially because like I think one of the most biggest cases of like a literal trafficker just got off jail this week and he literally tortured one of Mexico's biggest rod fims. And it's like, what did it?
Speaker 2: You did?
Speaker 7: Did this all for nothing? Like you're just gonna like lock up more poor people and like rich assholes are gonna work free. Yeah, and so yeah, that was twenty twenty. Then it got co opted and just like Claudia gave us some loss for trans people, she put turfs in government positions. We protested that, and then she dropped them, like she really did a andy with Woody, Like I don't want to play with you anymore. Like once she neutralized the feminist movement, once there were like there was no threat of escalation, she really didn't need the black the fake black blocks. She just you know dropped them.
Speaker 10: Yeah, And speaking of fake black blocks, you too could buy a fake flack flock from Products and Services.
Speaker 5: And we are back.
Speaker 10: Yeah, So let's get into what's been happening in kind of present day. The thing that's really interesting to me about like about the way that sort of Mexican turf stuff works is that they in a way that's kind of I don't know, American TERFs kind of work like this, Like they really function in a very similar way to like left social movements, right, except that they're like newer world social movement for evil. But it's like like they have a lot of the same kind of like strengths and weaknesses that that like conventional like social movements have, which I think ties into a lot of what's going to happen to them and the fact that you can you know, and in the same way that you can co opt to social movement, like they're also vulnerable to that.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Well, when money dr I saw and like the options are stop organizing as a feminist, Like I cannot tell you how many lesbian services serve are married and pregnant. Now, it's like they just dropped that shit like Shaman dropped them, like Shama didn't do it of the kindness of her heart. I think she realized that this was a vulnerability. She needed to convince like the Jacobins of the world that she was this socialist president like Amblo but even better now in feminist form, and she really couldn't do that if there was like these huge like people who didn't even pay attention to Mexican politics but just jk rowling. Like this was just a huge vulnerability. She also didn't want this mostly to be a debate. I heard rumors and I buy them completely, Like that she pushed for no treans women being legislators in our congress. Ye, because we had we had two before. One of them supped ass and the other one was kind of fine, like just normal lefty centrist woman. The other one was just horrible. So it's honestly, I'm going with it.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's wish you were about to have here. We're like, we're gonna get our first traps over a congress but she's absolutely dog shit like terrible ziists, Like yeah, now.
Speaker 7: They were night to work with, they consistently. I think they were just there to like waste her fucking time, like you would have a meeting with them. It should so should we like pass this legislation saying that you can have like no gender on your voter ready, And that took the whole six years Jesus Christ, And I didn't even want it, like I haven't even changed my legal thing, so like it's not my priority. But it was a lot of people's priorities, and they kind of wasted our whole community's time. But even that was not enough. I think Chama just didn't want headlines, Like she was content for others, other people to handle the quote unquote debate. She didn't want anything to do with it because she it only cost her. Like the reason she defended some terms is that some of them were like loyal to her, and that's what she wanted. She wanted loyalty because she needed party loyalty to like have a tight grip on Morena because what she knew she could win pretty easily. She didn't need to appeal to the right or the center right and good for her, Like I'm an antil electoralist, but like electoralist should not fucking listen to suburban moms, Like who gives a shit? Yeah, going more to the left is, to a certain extent, is better electorally. Like just look at the numbers between Paris and buy them. And it's just vibes. It's not even like real policy, but just the vibes. Like you don't need you don't need to listen to pant voters because they're pant voters. They're not gonna vote for Morena. And like the right here in Mexico is really weird because like they have this really like neo liberal view, but their culture is so aristocratic. It's kind of like what if them's were like very stories, Like because they they hate for people, not like Republicans hate for people, like because they also pretend to be Panistas, don't They lost half because Shane Bawn really took hold of Morena structure and mobilized it to vote in a way that was unprecedented, even more than Amblos's vote. And because like Panista just couldn't shut up about how racist they are. They were just constantly saying the most horrible shit about Morena voters. And there were campaigns by saying go vote because they thought that like Amlo is like a dictator, because they really think that everyone is addicted. Everyone that's to the left of Mussolini is a dictator and almost a dictator. So go out and vote. They thought, like citizen participation is gonna destroy the Amblo regime from We're gonna be back to Mexico instead of being not and so. But the thing is, when you send most of the population to vote, they're not gonna vote for like the most repugnant, classiest people ever. And the candidate they chose was not a candidate like such a Galavis was an indigenous woman. Like they thought they were gonna outflank shame and with that, but they didn't like she success such a tool. She's not far right. She used to be in Perade, which was also an um lost party, but she was part of like when when Pang got into power in two thousands, she was the one in charge of the negotiation with the Elene and she betrayed the Sapatistas.
Speaker 2: Jesus Christ.
Speaker 7: She was not gonna get an indigenous vote like so this is the first time the right does this right, like Pan did the fucking classic damn thing of like offering a wired down version of the the other candidate, and they lost enormously and a lot of turfs. To get back to the topic, a lot of ters beat on both of them. They were really hedging. They wanted to be especially more institutional terms. They said, as long as we get a women president, we're gonna be cool.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: That like backfired on them.
Speaker 7: Yeah, oh yeah, like Shambah, Like I said, what she cares about is loyalty. She didn't care about broad fence because she believed in them, just like she didn't care about trans people because she believed in us. She wanted loyal like loyal dogs. And if you are hedging your beds, yeah you and she wins with sixty percent, you're not going to see a single cent from the arms.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 10: She kind of Okay, this is like, this is an absolutely deranged comparison. But she kind of reminds me of jijiin Ping in the way that like the way the way that Chijinping does politics is by.
Speaker 7: Every single momenta geopolitics, not just fainted. When you say that, she's a lot.
Speaker 10: Of the same no, because like Chijin Ping's like political style is sort of you know, he's been he's been very very good at like like centralizing the bureaucracy around him and sort of like neutralizing social movement. And this has been a classic like a sort of long range like post culture revolution like Chinese companies party thing of like we need to make sure there's not treat movements we need to sort of neutralize. Yeah, it's also amusing, you know, yeah, but it's also like you know, Jiji Ping sort of very much is also like a loyalty guy, right, He's like, you know, he he will he will sort of set up antic corruption things like per people who are like aren't loyal to him, because that's you know, that's that's the way that this kind of like centralizing politics works, and it's it's church is really interesting that like we're seeing.
Speaker 5: This with we're saying this with the TERFs.
Speaker 10: Route was like, well, you guys, like I'm sorry, you guys weren't fucking loyal enough. So like each ship you're gonna get get ed corruption campaigned.
Speaker 7: There's people that we proted that are super close to shameebelnd that we were really scared would get government positions and we're TERFs. They didn't get shipped. There's no like trans legislature, but there's also no terf legislators. Yeah, there's a world where that could have happened that we would have been fucked. I think without our protests, like not just the ones we organized from my collective, the rather decidence that we were focused on some of the closest to Shamebelin but like every transperson knew that like this was something real that and we kind of to stop to it. But and they don't been a stalemate because again, what Shimun did was defend her loyal terms and she moved them to positions outside of the spotlight honestly more suited to their to their italients. Like her TERFs were not really charismatic. She was trying to set them up like as influencers and like they just had theirs.
Speaker 10: There's no juice at all, is a classic Jesus, like just being the most juiceless motherfuckers and no planet.
Speaker 7: Absolutely and like really in concuring politics, yeah, because like they again they were they were kind of like they're more like lefty in discourse. They were very nationalists obviously, but also like they were hyping how feminist she was and like, oh, we're gonna confront American imperialism and while at the same time like being obsessed with like British TERFs, so like that it was really contradictory. So Moina calls their movement like the forty the fourth Transformation, which is like, just I won't even get into it. It's just such a fucking bizarre thing.
Speaker 5: Has a third transformation or something? Was he also doing the fourth Transformation?
Speaker 7: It's like no, no, it's like the Independence when we kicked Francis ass and then revolution. Those are the three and then and then the fourth is him right, like he's saying like I'm I'm Benitaquaras reborn and uh yeah, cringe, but like it's stuck. Honestly, I use it because like it's such a good shorthanded because morena is so large, such such a big word, and it's also cringe because like morena, which means morena means like brown skin, so and also like becon morena, which is like Mexico's virgin mary, so very creene. Even for quarter is even less cringe. So yeah, sure, whatever, but like one of the most famous Mexican Mexican feminists started calling them the Quadra.
Speaker 10: Oh my god, that stocks it's really I fucking look like it.
Speaker 7: So that stuck. But basically the quarter there is not out of power. Like the most ambitious ones and the most purely TERFs got quick kicked out, and the loyal dogs got sent to do like other jobs. Like they're now talking to academics about like green progressive socialism and shit, Like they're just doing talksing like with like eighty year old tenured professors and like that is still real skin. There's we're still watching them. But I think Shimun told them, like I'm gonna protect you, but you need to shut the fuck up. You better not say the word rands for six years, go go knots afterwards. But you're gonna have a job and you're gonna have a possibility of returning and that I'm not gonna help you. That's on you, and like, honestly, at least that's a fair playing field. I'll take it. I'll fucking take it.
Speaker 10: So yeah, I guess like the state of things seems to be that the deal is we're just gonna take like trans people as a political issue off the table for Yeah, what I have many years.
Speaker 7: Well, I think we're we're gonna she's gonna let like states handle it, like a trans law passes in a state. She's gonna let it. And I don't think anti trans laws are gonna have a good time interesting trying to pass because the right age ship. Yeah, they really thought they were gonna at least have a competitive edge, and no one voted. And again like there's a lot of Turfs that were more aligned with the far right, but they were not acting like it. The rhetoric didn't look until a couple of months ago, like the rhetoric that Britain or the US turfs have both types of US turf that I think there's we have every single type of derf here in Mexico. If you can think of a type of trf, we have it. I think Britain is mostly wine moms and the US is both angio freaks and like hippie where those like ex anarchists, the brain resistance types right like.
Speaker 10: Yeah, well I need to draw the light, you're damn it. But the decree resistance people were never anarchists. They were always they were always weird primitivist, but like vague like vanguar is primitivists.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I know. I love that article by Julie who accompanied me in less episode about someone fining a hot dog and it fucking rules. But yeah, right, like we had that, Like we even have like a deep rear system to Mexico thing going on for like a couple of years. So Mexican terms here that align themselves with the far right are gonna see both less resources because the far right is healing some Bruce Eagles, so they're riding, aren't gonna have to go full fascist, which oh.
Speaker 5: They will, Yeah, many such cases.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they can no longer get money from like your center right, like respectable democracy people who are basically are just right. They don't they They spend most of their time like just complaining how like Maduro and Amlow and like treating like everyone's the same thing, because the only thing they want is like just they want new liberalism and I'm tired of we have new liberalism. Yeah, like my I is just newly realism with a little bit of just enough like welfare state to like keep everything from blowing up. So yeah, this that's the case here. They ate ship. They don't have money, so they either have to find local fascists with which they have or they have to appeal to Brits with things like the boxing scandal.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and that sort of brings us full circle to like, I guess literally the present day, as in like the time this is being recorded, where their big attempts to like generate a bunch of revenue for themselves and like bring themselves back into the spotlight has kind of blown up with their faces.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and listen. One of the few good parts of like Moderna's co option of feminism is that some previously, like I don't want to say controversial, but like there were really a lot of campaigns to try to remove prestige from any any prominent trans inclusive feminists in Mexico, like Mexican academia and Mexican like high feminism really started to go full Wratham in twenty sixteen, and it started by trying to attack any single prestigious feminist that was not a TERRF. Chief amongst them is Marta Lamas, who I love her. She's extremely live, but like I still love her because she she comes from a history of like not quite radical but not quite radical Mexican academia that like says she like reformist in method radical in objectives.
Speaker 5: Sure, sure, but she at least.
Speaker 7: Thinks it's true and lives by it. And she is if you want to read stuff by her. She has one of the best accounts of the history of sex work in Mexico Food Water and a nache a fantastic book, fully recommended.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we'll put a link to that in the description.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so she got into like the mayor of Mexico City is a team. She is now in Clara Brugada's team, and Clara is like the front runner for the next presidential candidate. She is not Chamberin's friend. So my suspicion is that Shaman is keeping her terms on reserve to push back against Clara. Oh interesting to find another female candidate and proper up as the feminist successor to Claudia or a male candidate like she needs like feminists on her side on reserve to combat like Clara. Who Clara Again, it's further to live than Chamblain and she doesn't come from an academic background. She comes from a grassroots urban movement background in the like thehood of Mexico City, in turn, Brugada needs more institutional and like legit support. And Marta Lamas, while she was controversial because of TERFs smearing her, but she is Marta Fokin Lamas and she is white as hell. So Clara got her in her team and now she gets to be the chief leftist feminists in Mexico because like, if Kaalia starts tucking too much about feminism, well she's a Google search away from like turf scandals.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 7: And Nata really pushed back against turf influence in Moena, which I'm really frank, like, if you're gonna be co opted this, that's the least amount of like allyship you need to do.
Speaker 10: All right, Yeah yeah, even push the turfs out from your like fucking mansion.
Speaker 7: We can push X to the to the left, Well, then do it. I people love saying they want to push politicians to the left, and then don't push push politicians to the left. They just want to lose the critical power.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah. Is there anything else that you want to make sure we get you before we wrap up?
Speaker 7: I think wrapping up to the Readogs magazine. Keep an eye on like those kinds of places that are trying to connect things, because we already saw that this can spill over from Mexico or Brazil or Korea. I think Korea is gonna be bad.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Yeah, So the thing about Korea I haven't done much about. We probably will at some point cover this stuff in Korea. Korea is having a really really sort of unbelievable sort of anti feminist backlash. But this has also had the impact of like really empowering the rad fems. Yeah, and it's it's a complete catastrophe.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I would really advise against idealizing feminist movements elsewhere. Yeah, do your research. Don't just accept on face value that like a face you know from a third world country is gonna be like the voice of the Global South. That's just not fucking true. Like, if you hear a face of the Global South, it's probably because there's money behind it. Like, yeah, unless you're really deep and know your shit, the first thing that's gonna show up is gonna have money behind it. So be really careful with other feminist ones. I saw how people idealized Mexican feminism, not knowing just how deeply both infiltrated by the government and paid by fire red groups, and that really backfire, like one of the only survivors of right leaning but left presenting feminists that called Brujazma. Yeah, they're probably the only europe that's going to survive during the shameband presidence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, big turf group.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they never tried to get close to Shamba. But also they are they never dropped the mask fully and they're one of the biggest pushers of the name in anything, not the originators. Those are the more internationally connected, but they were the biggest pushers of it. They have the most followers. They really pushon narrative. They were featured in Times one hundred, like AARUSIONDA was Times one hundred from Mexico. So be really careful of who you think are supporting. Yeah, because this is going to be happening. I think it's It might be over for now in Mexico and we I think we didn't win, but maybe we can stop them from researching in five years or so, and then I think that would really steal the deal. But this is gonna be happening everywhere where. You're gonna see it a lot in like African feminist movements in South Southeast Asian feminist movements. You're gonna see it pop up all over the world. Take a lesson from Mexico and look for trans folks over there, ask them, Hey, is this person cool?
Speaker 5: Yeah, just the.
Speaker 7: Minimum, do the diligence before, like sharing gofundsman ship like a please for the love of God. Again, a dollar goes a long way here. So if feel like you give something that would barely cover rent for someone in the United States, that's enough to set up an organization here. Yeah, and really fuck local politics for years to come. So I don't know, Please be careful.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 10: So if people want to find you and the stuff that you do that is not ship, where can they find you?
Speaker 7: Well, I'm on X everything app as a Flores And also I have a podcast called Fatista's Knkrema. It's a really good one in Spanish, trust me. And I'm also trying to launch a project that's gonna be like a sort of media watchdoggy thing. Again, we were working with like sense here, so it's gonna take a while. Yeah, keep an eye out if I don't know, if you if you wanna learn more stuff about Mexican like what's going on beyond, like either far right news like that saw Shambone in a photograph with a transflag and friked out, or just like people who take everything at face value and believe that Chambon is the second coming of Marx. So I don't know, I'll try to keep folks posted because it's complicated, Like, yeah, we it took us an hour to talk about even just one topic.
Speaker 10: Yeah, things complicated. Who who could possibly have guessed that? You know, it's it's difficult to understand, very comflue to political configurations.
Speaker 7: Yeah. So yeah, for now I'm only on xicus and YouTube again for I do I stream on Twitch. Honestly, this is gonna sound maybe you're gonna gonna call this, but I really admire y'all, Like I honestly, I both that are a little bit of envy. Uh. I wish there's not a really an ecosystem of like content creation or or news from a leftist perspective here. Like most of the people again, a lot of them also got co opted. A lot of friends I had in like independent leftists publishing and news in Mexico are now like full on like just modern spokespeople, or they went insane and anti vax and like now they're far right.
Speaker 10: Well, yeah, many such cases. Yeah, so this is to take it out here. You can find us in the places, and until then I defeat your local TERFs.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and don't become gumnor.
Speaker 9: Hi everyone, and welcome to the show. It's just James today and I'm joined by doctor Sink. Doctor Sink's an educator based in California, and we're talking today about the recent attempted assassination of a Sikh activist and this now years long tendency of India to attempt to assassinate sick activists in the United States and in Canada and probably not the place is too.
Speaker 5: Welcome to the show, dot to Sink.
Speaker 8: All right, thank you, thank you for having me. Yeah, you're welcome.
Speaker 9: And so I think people listening to this for the first time might not be super familiar with the situation in India and also like what Kalistan is and what that means. So I want to get into both of those things to start with. I think could you maybe explain kalistan, Explain it means. Maybe people have seen this yellow and green flag or heard the word, but they might not know what it means.
Speaker 5: So could you break that down for US.
Speaker 8: Sure, sure. So Kalistan is essentially a freedom of liberation movement that starts in Punjab, so it's north of India, and Punjab is a region that is populated primarily of six though the population numbers are changing, and so Kalistan is essentially sovereignty freedom, it's its own homeland, so it's labeled as the Sick Homeland. However, there will be many different ethnicities, many different people of religious backgrounds in Kalaistan, so it is an ongoing movement. The Indian state of course, it's not in their best interest to lose a chunk of land, and to lose especially a prosperous chunk of land, so they're doing everything in their power to silence those that speak about it, to oppress the people there so that they don't have enough willpower to fight back. So that's a very very brief introduction to it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so let's zoom out a little bit and talk about the history of sick people in India and then the recent tendency with mody to sort of define Hinduism and Indianism as the same thing. And you can't be one without being the other. So maybe we can start with that history of sick people within India. We can pick it up, like I guess wherever you want. You can start in nineteen thirties, or we can start a little bit later.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well, actually I think it's important to start even earlier than that. The origins of Six are in the region our faith was started in fourteen sixty nine Gift, which is in now the Pakistan region. So that's where our faith was started, and our people have essentially been fighting an existential battle since the faith was formed. So different rulers of the time, different kingdoms in that area would attempt to kind of wipe Six out, and Six have always been fighting back and fighting for their existence. So a small example of this is in seventeen thirty eight and up until the seventeen seventies, there was mass water of six and we're talking thousands killed on a single day period we referred as the Vudine shot Lugata, which is basically in our history, the largest population of six decimated in a single day was in seventeen thirty eight. In seventeen seventies as well, so we went from that circumstance to essentially forming our own kingdom, forming our own country in seventeen ninety nine was formally established under Mahda Dada Djidsing, though the six were operating independently even before that and kind of governing their own regions. But in seventeen ninety nine the Sick Confederacy kind of joined and became what is now known as the region of Punjab. So the British came to colonize. They colonized India relatively quickly after arriving, and then when they approached the Sikh Kingdom, not only could they penetrated, they had to sign a treaty with Mahaa Rdit Singh, who was the ruler of Punjab at the time, and saying that we won't cross to this side of this river and you don't cross.
Speaker 9: To the seven.
Speaker 8: So they essentially signed a treaty saying we can coexist, but we won't come to your side because they feared the repercussions of what that would lead to. And then slowly, as they have with many empires, they have kind of infiltrated. They paid folks, they sign traders, and they broke down the annexed Punjab in eighteen forty nine. So we have a period of colonization from eighteen forty nine, officially till nineteen forty seven, and in nineteen forty seven the Radcliffe line is drawn. That is where Pakistan and now what we see as Pakistan and now India is what we see as India, though before it was all together and a large region of it was Punjab. When nineteen forty seven what Indian would refer to as independence, though it was actually a transfer of power. The gandhis of the time are kind of credited with the independence movement, but they were working with the British for decades before that. They kind of knew that they would receive the reins once the British left the region, So truly it wasn't independence movement. It was a transfer of power from the British to them. So in nineteen forty seven, by creating kind of relationships through some false promises, the Hindu leaders of the time essentially guaranteed six that you guys know how to fight for your rights if we were ever to infringe upon them, you guys are allowed to be in the Punjab region, it's essentially going to be autonomous. So after independence, essentially they immediately renagged on all of their previous assurances and six have essentially kind of been fighting an independence movement since nineteen forty seven. They were not allowed to speak their language. There was a Punjabi suba movement in nineteen fifty five where they even had to fight for their native language to be able to speak their native language in their region. And so now moving many iterations later, what we see is Modi kind of the I wouldn't say final form because we haven't lived to the end yet, but he is the latest iteration of Hindu nationalism, of what extremism looks like. So he has now taken the work of the gandhis and all of the prime ministers of India and kind of the Indian deep state agenda and now transformed it to saying that we want to be a nation of one language, of one religion, of one kind of people, and there's really no space for minorities in there, though they won't say it openly because they want to carry the moniker of the world's biggest democracy. They are not a secular nation. And under Modi, we've seen massacres. We've seen, you know, very genocidal violence which he himself allowed and which he was not even allowed to go into many Western countries because they held him accountable and responsible for leading the massacre of Muslims in two thousand and two of a job. But once he became Prime minister, they kind of backed away from that stand and chose financial relationships. So today we are in a place where six being less than two percent of the population in India are continuing their struggle for liberation, and the Indian state kind of consistent with their agenda since nineteen forty seven, doesn't have room for that difference, doesn't have room not only to give them their rights, but liberation entirely. That's that's the next step beyond that. So that's where we are today.
Speaker 9: Yeah, there's a significant Sikh community, especially on the west coast of the USA, and I've met probably hundreds of sick people in the last year crossing the border for the reasons you've just outlined, and others, of course deciding the nearly all coming from India, right and Punjab, and they have told me some really terrible stories, right, some really upsetting things. I've heard from those of other people. It's not unique to them, but there's a significant sick population on the west coast of the US. And Canada too, So can you explain I know that sick people here have been organizing for Kalustan for some time. There was even like a vote recently ventstand correctly, So can you explain like that history of the Sick dy aspirin how they've been really important in getting the word out and advocating.
Speaker 8: First, Yeah, I'm glad we touched on migration. Actually, mass migration out of Punjab is not a natural phenomenon. It is the outcome of very genocidal violence. Yeah. And further than that, it's the continued violence and oppression through different ways. So one example is there's a strong drug nexus in that area and anyone who is distributing drugs is protected by the Indian state, whether through bribery, whether through their agenda in general of keeping Punjab kind of addicted and away from liberation, So that is one aspect of it. Further, bung Job for the listeners, Bungjob means the land of five rivers, Bunge means five and ob means water, so its name is literally created on river water and the Indian state has now taken those river waters diverted them to different states of India and Punjab gets no royalty for those as opposed to any other state of India. If they have a natural resource, they get to sell it and their state gets the benefit of that. So Punjab at this point has been giving trillions of gallons of water to different states for free, and Punjab is there's different numbers out there, but sixty to sixty five percent and agrarian society, so everyone is essentially farming. And what the farmers of Punjab are being forced to do is dig underground for water, even though they have natural river water that should be going through Punjab itself which they can redistribute. So there's a huge farmer suicide problem happening in Punjab because they are unable to get out of debt. They are viewing farming as an unprofitable kind of a dead end business as opposed to farming in many other places, so it's very profitable. They're sick farmers in California who are multi multimillionaires, so it's not an unprofitable business. However, the state has made it that way understanding that if we can cripple farming their water supply and get their next generation addicted to drugs, then they'll be forced. So the mass migration we see is not natural, it is the outcome of that. And I'm sorry, I think I forgot the second part of your question, something about six in the Western Yeah, No, that's.
Speaker 9: Okay, there's a really good explanation. It's really important. I think we should just take a little advertising break here, all right. Yeah, So the second part I wanted to ask about was the importance of this diaspora community in organizing for Kalistan. Right because in addition to all these Indian government policies that you've outlined that are having these impacts in Punjab, and like we shouldn't discount the climate change is also having impacts there right, absolutely across the whole indeed subcontinent. But in addition to that, right, there's a very powerful and developed Khalistan movement in the United States and in Canada that has been advocating for the issue and raising i think awareness, and that's what's been targeted now, right.
Speaker 8: Yeah, absolutely, because they understand that if you say that word Carlostan with in Punjab, the police is working with them, the judicial system is working with them. Every single facet of any organizational institution is working for them. So I mean, there's been many people that do mention it and they end up dead, they end up in jails, They you know, are silenced in one way or another. So despite that, though, still many more folks that believe in Coligistan in Punjab than they are anywhere else in the world, and they are willing to say it openly despite the consequence of that, which is essentially jail or death in the millions. So what happens is when six are a forced to migrate out or migrate out for any reason, they still hold those aspirations with them. They still remember the plight of their people in Punjab. So they have freedom of speech, which is what you should have in democracies, which they don't have in India. So when they have freedom of speech, they express those aspirations to the point where there are people being killed all over the world. We named Canada and the US, but there was an activist poisoned in the UK just last year. There's been folks killed in Pakistan, which is on the other side of the border for India, and they tried to assassinate sick in New York and as recently as a few days ago, they tried to asassinate a stick here in California. So, I mean, the movement is very much alive and it's on the up, and I think the Indian state understands this, but they're having a tough time kind of wrapping their head around how to silence folks outside of their borders. That's really where we are, because within their borders it's full on suppression. You can't say it. Folks within pajob When they leave Punjab and they come to different countries, their eyes kind of finally open as to why they were in the conditions they were in. It's almost like when you're in the middle of a storm. You don't know who you're in a storm, but when looking on the outside in you're seeing, hey, this is a very intentional and systematic genocide that is happening against our people. So that is one aspect of it. But it's becoming more organized, and you know, there's a referendum, there's intellectuals, there's differences happening, there's grats, roots organization and so fix have. The concept called chardvikola and Chardikaala is essentially ever rising spirits, is that no matter the dire conditions that you may be under, you still keep the hope for sovereignty and liberation alive. And we've seen that in our history where our population, due to the oppression and the massacres, dwindled down to the hundreds and they were living in jungles, and even then they would exit the jungles fight work to free those being captured by the muguls at the time, or the people in the region, and they would die fighting oftentimes. And so now we're in a position where there's you know, millions of us. We have no excuse. We keep the aspiration for sovereignty alive, and we see it kind of thriving in places where we're allowed to express ourselves.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so I think we should talk about this kind of transnational repression. It's not by any means unique to India. I mean, famously Russia loves to do this too, right, But let's talk about some of these incidents. There was a foiled assassination attempt in November of last year, right that the DOJ arrested in India national for There was a successful assassination in Canada, and an attempted assassination just this week, as you say, in northern California.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean transnational repression is not a new phenomenon, But what we'd like to do is actually have it addressed for what it is. Why is it that the American public understands or the Western public understands, that Russia doesn't. But when it comes to India, it's almost seen as this kind of yoga chai te, peace loving place, where in reality, anyone from there and anyone that's been on the other end of kind of oppression understands what India truly is. So I think what we'd like to do is, I don't think it it's unreasonable. This is a nation that is very openly going on to other sovereign nations land and targeting their citizens of any religious background. So I think it's something that these governments should be taking seriously. And the fact that it continues to happen, I think is a reflection of how not seriously it's being taken. If it was, you know, if there's you know, some sort of public statements, sanctions, if there was you know, a full on effort to say that this is a violation of our sovereignty, it would perhaps slow down. But it's continuing, and it's continuing rapidly, where we're seeing gunshots and you know, even though Indian nationals are being extraed added to the States, it's not stopping. So I think more aggressive action is needed, and the fact that it keeps happening is is just a reflection of how lacks these governments have been as a result of these actions.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you don't see it referred to in the terms of transnational oppression or really like by the US of them at least as this this consolidated program. It seems to be seen as like these incidents where then you know, joining the dots and being like, yeah, this this is an attempt at repression, you know, the murder of US citizens in me these two cases, right, I know this just happened with other diaspora communities sometimes the like DJ or someone within that has reached out to people in the community, especially people who are prominent, and been like, there is a legitimate risk of someone trying to kill you. Has that happened within the sick community?
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, absolutely. There's been multiple folks warned here in California, in Canada, all over the US that you know, there is legitimate threats to your life. Though it's a problem because they cannot give you any more information than that. So you ask, you know, where is the threat from the say, we can disclose that it's it's confidential. So obviously six who advocate for sovereignty and freedom of their people that can Punjab know where where the threat is from. Yeah, And I think the underlying understanding within the community is that Western countries understand it as well. They're essentially waiting for when it is politically you know, acceptable, when it is politically beneficial for them to actually say something about it. And I think we are an under knowing illusions that you know that these guys are going to speak for us for the sake of justice, that they're going to you know, express our perspective and condemn these nations based on the protection of six. We know our liberation is going to be the result of our efforts. But I think from a lobbying perspective, from an expression perspective, I think it is not unreasonable of us to expect that of governments where we are citizens.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Like it's kind of the trade that you make grein theory, like you give up a lot of freedom and in turn you get safety in the Yeah, you're giving up one and getting the other right now.
Speaker 8: Right right exactly. So like there have.
Speaker 9: Been various movements to Kaliftan, I think we should just mention that like in the nineteen eighties, more like confrontational attempts at Kalistan like independence were met with collective punishment by the Indian state and non Sik people right within India.
Speaker 8: Yeah. So going dating back to the eighties, actually up until eighty four, there was no United Movement for Independence something else you call uprind On. It was kind of the face of the thick rights movement, but in the document that they had proposed to the government be an unput cyber resolution, it wasn't a proposition for exclusively six And I think that's an important point to continue to mention, is that the way the Indian state portrays Kalistan is anti Hindu, and I think they understand that to get the public support, we need to portray movements or anything really that's not in our interest as anti Hindu. We need to make them feel threatened. Yeah, and if we can do that, there will be support for us to engage in these collective punishments. So in the eighties and nineties, actually we call it the decade of disappearances is where the Indian government went from village to village disappearing six hundreds of thousands. Essentially, our last generation was wiped out by the Indian state and they disposed of their bodies and crematories, throw them in rivers, and you know, like we basically say that there's a sixth river of blood in Bujab because that is just how many young men were killed from eighty five to nineteen ninety five. So there was an armed resistance against this. I mean, they were seeing their sisters taken into police stations and all kinds of atrocities committed against them. They were seeing their brothers disappeared, their you know, their family members. So at some point it is better to give up your life than to live in these circumstances. And so that is the brink that they were pushed to, and so we lean on their example, though the movement does not quite exactly at that same place today, we lean on their example in that saying, these people were willing to give up their lives for this cause, and us sitting in comfort, even if it's you know, temporary safety, we have a responsibility to move this movement forward. And with these new assassinations. That's another important thing to mention. We've saw murders of essentially the biggest Punjabi pops, said Musah in history. I mean, this guy was in Hollywood, he was he was everywhere, and when he started talking about Kadistan, when he started making music regarding Punjab's rights, he was assassinated. And we're seeing a new wave of Indian oppression. And for the first time now people that thought, oh the eighties and nineties, you know, you guys could be making something up. Maybe the Indian government is right, you guys can be cut up. Now they're seeing these assassinations happen in front of their eyes, and they're making the judgment call as to who is in the right and who is in And I think that's another reason that the Kalaistan movement continues to gain kind of solidarity within the six all over the world. Yeah.
Speaker 9: Sure, Like if if a government is trying to assassinate people to just essentially saying something it disagrees with it, it's not hard to see like who's in the wrong exactly. So I wonder like, obviously there's a genuine threat to seek communities here that continues to be a threat to seek migrants from both political parties in the United States. Right, Yeah, I'm interested, but not hopeful to see how their asylum claims go based on this very obvious discrimination that you've outlined. Yeah, and there's this threat to seek people in their home rwnd in point job, how can people who are not sick, who are not part of the community like be in solidarity? How can they support what can they do to, like I guess yet to stop people being murdered?
Speaker 8: Well, it sounds cliche to say awareness, but at this point in time, they're just enough people aware of you know, how in danger they are, because if they don't speak for six today tomorrow, it could be them. And if the Western governments are allowing foreign nations to come in and they have embassies in these countries and they're allowing these nations to kind of, you know, assassinate their citizens, then what's to say that they won't be next to Mouth's that age old saying there was no one left to speak for me. That's part of it is you have to understand the ramifications of ignoring something like this. So I guess the first thing we'd like to see is solidarity with that Alistine. Now most folks have an opinion on it, or at least they've heard the word, and they've seen Six everywhere, you know, where the folks that walk around with turbans, and we're one of the probably ninety nine percent of people you see with turbans on our six and so we're a very visible community. However, the reasons we're here, our plight, understanding of our background is generally lacking. So I think the more that we can understand who Six are, what their beliefs are, what they're fighting for, why they're here to begin with, I think, you know, there will be more political pressure regarding that, and I'm seeing it starting to shift slightly, especially in the past five to ten years. We've tipped the skills just slightly, but we're far from from anywhere substantial.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think for like, at least for my group of friends, right, we go down to the border and help people, and like we've encountered sick people because they were always there with us helping us, right, Like some sick folks flew down from other places and joined us and stay out there and helped us feed people. And like sick folks have shown up for other people substantially, like all over the world, and I think it would be really good to see people kind of reflect that that solidarity that's kind of baked into the Sick religion that it would be nice to see people doing that in return. Absolutely, as Sikhs organized to their own community safety, like obviously there's like a pressing danger to people, especially people who are vocal, like a Sikhs organized to like take care of one another in that sense.
Speaker 8: To some extent, yes, And again, a part of organization and having support that comes from that organization is having political power. And Six have political power in certain instances, but they do not have a homeland or the resources to kind of back it up. And you know politics kind of lobbying works with money. So the fact that we have these immigration problems a is a result of India's efforts, but be the reason that they don't have the support they need is because Six don't have a homeland where they can say, all right, these are our beliefs, these are our people. We support our people, we will give them these resources that they need. So we're kind of always operating at a grassroots level, and that's part of the issue, is why there's not grand or large scale change, but it continues to march forward. You know, as generations grow up, as they become more involved in different facets. A lot of people, especially in the United States, are first generation. So our parents' generation was just focused on surviving. How are we going to put food on the table? Are were going to put a roof over your head? And so the next generation kind of has the opportunity to explore how they can make a difference for their people. So Canada is getting there, the UK is getting there, the US is behind, just because our migration here was later than those places to that level, but it's getting there.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's good. So people want to find out more about like the sick religion or like sick people are very good resources that you could suggest.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, I think there's a very thorough background of what calist On is. Just on callist on dot org, okay, OKJ L I s t An dot org. They have publications, they have documentaries. They've done a significant amount of work to give the background of a Y six will never stop fighting for freedom and be kind of what the circumstances are today. So they've they've done a fairly good job at that. Other than that, there's pages on social media. There's free five ab which stands for freequin job. It's it's on Twitter, TikTok okay and of course TikTok has deleted that page many times. So where trying to figure out where the alliances are there and Instagram of course has done their thing based on their alliances. But there are some resources out there, and of course if you google it, the first things that are going to come up is Times of India, you know, hindos Tun Times basically saying this is a terrorist movement that's funded by foreign governments to break the unity integrity of India. It's a very rudimentary explanation, basically rooted in violence and how these people just have it out for us. But the reality is entirely different and the facts speak to that, and I think the assassination attempts of today, the folks that remain in Indian jails today, there's a UK citizen in Indian jail. There are you know, folks that are dying in Indian prisons. There's folks that have completed their sentences six thirty plus years still sitting in Indian prisons. So all of the circumstances today kind of speak to why this movement and exists and will continue to exist. So hopefully we can take advantage of some of the resources out there.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's great, and I hope people will go and like educate themselves. You can look up caulsa Aid as well if you're interested in like the sort of sortid diarity and support side of Sikhism. Those people have been great at the border, and I know they've done tons about the great humanitarian work as well.
Speaker 8: Absolutely. Yeah.
Speaker 9: Is there anything else that you'd like people to know before we finish up here, like about six or about college down things they can do to help.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think I would, especially all the viewers. I would like everyone to be open to the opportunity that there are more people in the world that are seeking to suppress and oppress than just what is told by American media today. At least be open to the opportunity. India is the world's biggest democracy today until it's not anymore, and communities like the six who have experienced violent genocide and today are experiencing the genocide. I think it's very important to understand that the sick genocide never ended. It continues today in different facets, in different forms. So that's A and B the struggle for freedom and sovereignty, though they want to put it on. So the Indian state continuously tries to kill two birds with one stone. They have enemity with Pakistan, so they tried to say that Kadistan is a movement to the byproduct of kind of focused on the interference, even though the facts speak otherwise that if it's not Fakistan that killed hundreds of thousands of six, it's not Focuistan that is assassinating six out in these foreign countries. So they try to kill two birds with one stone. India is definitely not a democracy. I would like the viewers to be open to that possibility as well and do your own research. Of course, I have a perspective based on the circumstances that my people have been through, and I would hope everyone can form a more thorough understanding and that there is a lot more happening, especially in that region than is politically correct to say right now. So that's what I'll finish with.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's great, thank you very much for that. I think that's a really good place to finish.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 9: So much for your time, and yeah, I really appreciate you explaining that for.
Speaker 8: Us, of course. Thank you for having me, gentlemen.
Speaker 14: Welcome to happen here. I'm Andrew Siege from the YouTube channel Andreism and I'm joined again by James Andrew. Welcome back time to talk about political codes again.
Speaker 8: Oh good fine.
Speaker 14: Continuing with the work of Dennis Toura and Tim Wolforth in their book on the Edge Political Cults Left and Right. I've spoken before about the cult recruitment process, the contractory positions held by cult members, ideological totalism, and the commonalities of political cults, including rigid belief systems, immunity to fortification, authoritarianism, arbitrary leadership, verification of leaders, intense activism, and the use of loaded language. And speaking of loaded language. I know that some people don't like the term cult because it is, you know, very charged. I prefer personally. I know that other terms are used, such as high control groups or new religious movements, but I'm sticking to cults. My question for you, James, do you think that you would be susceptible to the cult?
Speaker 9: One hopes not. We spoke about authoritarian personalities before, and I wonder if there's something similar for people who end up in cults. But I'm sure there's something that could get any of us. You know, we all have our susceptibilities to these things.
Speaker 2: But I hope it wouldn't be for sure.
Speaker 14: I mean, one would like to think, you know, yeah, I'm fuilt different than I would form into a cult. But you know, really, especially considering the the paucity of community these days, it's a little wonder that's one of people find a home in such harmful and abusive spaces. So previously I've touched on the LaRouche movements, the Newman tendency, and the United Red Army of Japan, the latter of which ended up killing some people. Today we'll be looking at another case study, not merely as extreme but still quite abusive, this time the infamous Marlene Dixon and her Democratic Workers Party.
Speaker 8: Fun Times, Fun Times.
Speaker 14: Indeed, I also got some information on Dixon's activity, not just from on the Edge, but also from the book Bounded Choice, True Believers and Charismatic Cults by Janja Lalich, who was actually a member of Dixon's Democratic Workers Party for ten years. I like that a lot of books written a bold cults are written by former cult numbers.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean I think it can be like the point you raised your initial question, right, like everyone likes to think they're specially and not susceptible, And I can see how books written about them could be written from a place of like condescension or you know, other ring. So I think it's always good when folks who have survived these things could write about them.
Speaker 14: Yeah, for sure, for sure. I mean one of the authors on the Edge, Tim Wore for a few who also part of a Trotskyist cult. So these are people who are speaking from experience.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I was writing about cults long before I started this podcast, So there was some weird cut like behaviors and endurance sports. And I spoke to an expert. She also was a survivor and introduced me to some other survivors of some more sort of classic left political cults. And like, it wasn't something I ever really felt comfortable like narrating their experiences. I would rather they narrate their experiences.
Speaker 7: Sure was.
Speaker 9: It was really interesting to see how many of them were like so willing to write about it and to talk about it and wanted to educate people about it.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean, one of the reasons I'm particularly passionate about political cults is just the way that they sap the energy, the passion, and the drive, the potential of what should be you know, people involved in you know, really positive change, they end up getting sucked in and the energies get sapped by these causes by these leaders. They just sort of diverte their potential trajectory.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Absolutely, I think anyone who was active in the United States on the left in twenty twenty can attest to the ability of some of these groups to just cut the soul out of a popular movement which was making a positive difference at one point.
Speaker 14: Right, So let's get into it. Marlene Dixon was born into a family that valued education and intellectual pursuit. From a young age, she was immersed in an environment that fostered deep appreciation for learning and critical thinking, and this foundation significantly influenced her future path set in the stage for her academic and political endeavors. Growing up, Dixon showed an early interest in sociology, a field that would later become her academic and professional focus. She pursued higher education with a passion, earning her undergraduate degree and going on to complete a PhD in sociology in the University of California. The doctoral studies were marked by a rigorous exploration of social structures and equalities. Themes were resonate throughout her career as a sociology professor. Dixon's classroom was more than just a place for academic instruction. It was a forum for radical ideas and critical debate. Her teaching was infused with a strong feminist perspective, challenging traditional notions and encouraging students to question societal norms. This feminist ideology was not just an academic interest, but a driving force behind her activism and the formation of her political beliefs. However, even early on magain and science, that something's a bit of a wry. According to some of her former students and colleagues, it was also Dune those years when she became interested in mass social psychology and group behavior modification. She studied draber J. Lufton's work on thought reform. She studied and admired total communities, accults, and other directed methods of behavioral control such as Alcoholics Anonymous. She believed that these programs provided positive ways to change people. Dixon's early academic career also provided her with a platform to connect with like minded individuals who shared her passion for social justice. These connections were proved crucial as she moved beyond the confines of academia and into the world of radical political activisim Her political awakening came during a time of significant social and political upheaval. The sixties and seventies were decades marked by civil rights movements, anti war protests, and a crowing dissillusion one with the status quo. Dixon was deeply influenced by the principles of Marxism, Leninism and Maoism. Marxism provided her with a free for understanding class struggle and exploitation inherent and capitalist societies. Lenin's organizational principles, particularly the concept of the vanguard party, were also integral to Dixon's political thought. Lenin argued, of course, that a disciplined, centralized party was necessary to lead the wildern.
Speaker 2: Class to revolution.
Speaker 14: Dixon adopted this idea wholeheartedly, seeing the need for a tightly controlled, hierarchical organization to con guide the proletaria towards socialism. Mao Sadong's influence on Dixon was particularly evident in her approge to internal party denis. Mao's emphasis on continuous revolution and self criticism as tools for maintaining ideological purity resonated with Dixon. She implemented rigorous criticism and self criticism sessions within her future party, a practice that aimed to eliminate bourgeois tendencies and reinforced commitment to the party's goals. Dixon's political engagement wasn't limited to theoretical discussions. She was actively involved in radical movements, participating in protests and organizing efforts as well to challenge existing power structures. Her activism extended beyond national borders, as she connected with international revolutionary movements and drew inspiration from their struggles. The culmination of these influences and experiences led to the founding of the Democratic Worker's Party in nineteen seventy four. Dixon's vision for the Democratic Worpless Party or DWP was deeply rooted in this idea of Leninist democratic centralism, Maoist self critique, and Marxist anti capitalism. But beyond Marx, Lenin and Mao, the New Communist Movement or NCM played a significant role in shape and Dixon's approach. The NCM was a diverse collection of groups that emerged in the late nineteen sixties and early nineteen seventies advocating for a revitalized communist movement in the United States. The NCM sought to build new Marxist Leninist organizations that could address the shortcomings of the old left and provide a fresh, militant alternative. Dixon was, of course, deeply inspired by the ncm's emphasis on billionaire revolution sharing vanguard and his commitment to rigorous theoretical work and practical activism. At the time, the UP was getting a lot of credit for being one of the few feminist and women led organizations in the new Communist movement, which allowed the group to draw radicals from leftist circles as well as the women's movement and the gay movement. When most NCM groups were virulently a homophobic and dismissive of feminism, the DWP had a unique alert. Early on in her political career, Marline Dixon also contributed theoretically to the DWP with the concept of proletarian feminism, which allowed the DWP to stand up both against class prejudice and sexism and for the equality of all people. Over time, though her concept of proletariy and feminism became less prominent in the DWP's approach and in the literature. In the early stages, the concept of proletary and feminism attracted a lot of people, including jan Jalalich, the author of Bounded Choice, who had been part of the WP. The early days of the WP were marked by a significant effort to recruit and train new members. Dixon and her close associates focused on building a catre of dedicated revolutionaries who were deeply committed to the party schools. These numbers were not just activists, but Addiolodge called soldiers, prepared to dedicate their lives to the cause of socialism. Recruitment often targets had young intellectuals and activists who disillusioned with mainstream politics and eager for radical change. In this early period, the parties organized study groups, protests, and community outreach programs, all aimed at raising political consciousness and building support for the party's revolutionary agenda. Dixon's charisma and intellectual rigor inspired many, but her leadership style also had its challenges. Building on she had very authoritarian tendencies influenced by her admiration for mal Zadan, and it led to a highly controlled and often repressive internal atmosphere. Members were subjugated to rigorous criticism and self criticism sessions, and these sessions could be psychologically taxing, creating an atmosphere of constant scrutiny and pressure. This is exemplary of social psychologist Anthony Prakkanis and Aaronson's seven step guide to creating a political cult, which included crucially maintaining a rigid internal regime. In these early years, we can also see the signs of the other steps, such as creating a distinct social reality, building commitment through dissonance reduction, sending members to proselytize, and fixating members on a promised land, the promised land being, of course, international communism. The DWP crew steadily in its early years. Full time members called cadres or militants typically numbered between one hundred and twenty five and one hundred and fifty people, but in certain periods there were between three hundred and one thousand members at various creative affiliation. One of the d WP's primary areas of focus was labor organizing. Dixon and her colleagues saw the labor movement as a critical battleground for the struggle against capitalism, and they dedicated significant resources to supporting labour strikes, organizing union drives, and advocating for workers' rights. The DWP's members often worked closely with existing labor union providing support and promoting a more radical, class conscious approach labor activism, and this involvement helped party gain credibility and trust among workers, who saw the WP as genuine allies in their struggle. Members were also active in campaigns for affordable housing, health care, and education, working to build coalitions with other progressive organizations and community groups. Political education was another cornerstone of the activities. Dixon believed that a well informed and ideologically grounded membership was essential for the party's success, so they had regular study groups with jobs and lectures and Marxist theory, current events, and revolutionary strategy. And these activities are not limited to members, but were also used as tools for outreach. Eventually, the party's activities extended beyond its initial base in San Francisco and reached other parts of California, even gaining attention on a national scale. Dixon's ability to connect with other radical movements and a strategic vision for the WP's role in the broader of lutionary struggle had played a significant part in this growth, but despite their successes behind the scenes was not too hot, to put it lightly. While Dixon's theoretical acumen and charm had attracted many to her cause, her methods of maintaining control within the party with what gave it its cult connotations. One of the central aspects of Dixon's control was her personal domination over the party and its members. Dixon established herself as the undisputed leader of the EWP, demanding absolute loyalty and obedience. Leylish described her as a large, loud woman who exuded a type of chrisma that could be difficult for outsiders to comprehend. Her personal style was abrasive, and she was stern and domineering. Nonetheless, Dixon was able to exact commitment from her followers, an entailed devotion to her person and undying defense of her actions as their leader. So we see a peculiar and almost quanting resemblance to others the historical movements, like Heaven's Gates. On the surface, they seemed worlds apart. One is steeped in partical idiology, the other in spiritual salvation. But dive deeper and you'll find that the currents beneath their surface flew with striking similarities. Take for instance, the role of charisma. Like Apple White and the Nettles of Heaven's Gate. Dixon used words as her craft, her instrument, speaking to eager audiences, weaving a vision of hope that drew people in. She wasn't just persuede so she was magnetic. She created a myth for herself that seemed to fit with the revolutionary zie guys at the time. Laalish describes that when she first joined the party, Dixon was a tower in presence who created an intense, almost sacred bond with them. LATAs speaks of how the followers were awed by her, desperate to follow her vision, willing to endure her criticism just to stay in her good graces. And when Dick Sun would spend some time away and came back, they would spend long, cruel and meetings where she would dissect every decision they made and criticize everything they did in her absence, showing them all the ways they had fallen short. It was brutal, but it also reinforced her authority over them, as they wanted to get her approval at all times. One of her documents on the development of Leninist democracy told the followers that the leadership was about authority, not popularity, and whether we liked her or not, we had to accept as the ultimate authority in the party. Lachi also says that they were made to believe that being part of the WP was a privilege. Authority wasn't just accepted, it was revered, and this is the foundation of their relationship with Dixon. She was the leader, the guide in force, and they were the followers, committed, obedient, and always seeking her approval. And yet there was a secret at the heart of her. She was a myth maker. Her backstory was curated, embellished to paint herself as a champion of civil rights when the reality was far less dramatic. Systems of control was another area where the DWP and Heaven's Gates shared common ground. Both groups thrived on a mix of carrot and stick promises of a better future, harsh discipline for failure. Leaders would live apart from their followers, hidden away while their followers toiled and sacrificed. Every day was a test, every misstep a reason for criticism, and leaders were never revealing themselves fully. They created a distance. They were heightened their mystique and their authority. In the DWP, there was a very strict hierarchy and chain of command. Dixon was at the top. She had a select few leaders below her, and decisions were made top down. Democratic centralism, which was leninistact like the theoretically allowed for debate and democracy, was really there to enforce obedience. Members were also split into tears. He had trial members, candidate members, and general members. Each level carrier and distinct privileges and obligations. An advancement was up to Dixon. She decided who leveled up in the party. Sanctions for rule violations ranged from increased duties to expulsion, the severest being expulsion with prejudice effectively erase in the individual. From party history and the party's first purge, notably the quote unquote Lesbian Purge, exemplified Dixon's control tactics. As a target had perceived threat within the group and set a precedent for internal purges that instilled fair and loyalty among the members, and then Lastly, there was transcendent belief. Another area where Heaven's Skates and the DWP had common ground. For Heav's Skater was a more transcendent human life to reach a higher plane of existence. For the WP, it was what transforming society reaching utopia through class struggle. The daily life of the WP members was highly regimented. Dixon had strict routines and expectations demanded complete dedication to the party's activities. Members were subjected to intense scrutiny, particularly those of the evil middle class backgrounds, and this method of course effectively suppressed descent and ensured the members remained tightly bound to Dixon's vision. This rerelent their schedule that had them within long hours both in their day jobs and unparty related tasks, led them little time for pursuits or outside relationships, which also helped Dixon maintain control over their lives. By limited members interactions with outsiders, Dixon minimized the risk of external influences undermining her authority, and this isolation extended to live in arrangements as well as members lived communally, which further reinforced their dependence on the party and their separation from mainstream society. The combination of these control mechanisms created a highly controlled and insular environment within the WP, as members were constantly monitored by both Dixon and the other payers to ensure that any deviation from the party line was quickly identified and addressed. The use of fair guilt and psychological manipulation kept members in line. Of course, the control was not just psychological. It was physical, because when you're isolated on your working all the time, your body is going to break down, your exhausted, your burnt out, and the emotional strain of constant criticism doesn't exactly help either. But all of this were to keep party members in their place. The contriversies surrounding the WP's methods and leadership eventually drew attention from both within the leftist movement and from external observers. Critics argue that Dixon's authoritarianism when the parties cut like practices were antithetical to the principles of socialism and genuine revolutionary activity, but these criticisms did little to all to the internal dynamics of the WP during its peak. In the early days, Dixon and her followers truly believed her revolution was just around the corner. By the nineteen eighties, recruitment was faltering, purges was narrow in the organization's focus. At the WP's aggressive tactics had led to conflict. Without the leftist groups, Dixon had grown dissolution. She had begun to see the local struggles they were taking part in as insignificant as mere reformist gestures. She moved the party from distributing a local newspaper to publishing dense academic journals. She developed a stain for world systems theory, which had once been a guiding light in her movement, and rejected it as anti socialist and cynical. In her eyes, the United States working class was no longer a beacon for revolution. Instead, she placed her faith in the USSR in Eastern Europe, in distant lands where she believed the future of socialism lay. Her frequent travels to conferences in Europe and her focus on theoretical debates needed her members, as the heart of their struggle had been replaced with her distant, abstract vision that none of them could grasp. But the real breaking point came with her change and strategies. Dixon began to see the Petibo Rossi as potential allies instead of enemies, as they had always been. A radical shit from ideology that her party had been taught beyond all that her drinking had become more uncontrolled than usual, and her abuse of the members had increased. So in late nineteen eighty five, a few of her members decided that enough was enough. While Dixon was away on one of her many trips, they gathered in secret, shared their frustrations, and they'd bear the truth over what had become of the party. When Dixon returned, she was met with the harshest reality of war. They told her that the party was over, that she was expelled, and that they were dissolving the party. Her reaction was, of course, a mix of disbelief and anger, and a final bit of confrontation with the collapse of everything she had built. Afterwards, there was of course a mesteric The members have an endured abuse for so long, including financial abuse, took it upon themselves to divide the assets amongst themselves as a final small compensation for the years they had given. Each person received a poetry sum, a fraction of what they had invested. But at last, the party's ideological crises weekend leadership and internal strife resulted in the organization's dissolution. The party was indeed over, and they could start their life on you.
Speaker 8: Hey.
Speaker 2: We'll be back Monday, with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the Universe.
Speaker 6: It Could Happen Here as a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 3: For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can find sources for It Could Happen Here, updated monthly at cool zone Media dot com slash sources.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening.