Speaker 1: I don't think there's gonna be a whole lot of whole, you know, a bunch of changes. Stematically, we just have to put our players, you know, in the best situations, meaning take their strengths and utilize that.
Speaker 2: In the gameplay.
Speaker 3: Welcome into jag Van this morning. A lot of changes. We weren't sure what the changes were going to be, but we'll start out with big thing number one, which is a big change. Brian reports out now that Cam Robinson being traded away. That means Walker Little is going to be the starting left tackle going forward. What are your media thoughts.
Speaker 4: Well, it just makes too much sense, right, I mean, Cam is at the very end of his Jaguars career. There were nine games left in the regular season for him, and you've got behind him Walker Little, a player that you drafted in twenty one expecting someday he would become the starter. Well some days now you have nine games to evaluate him to see if he's your guy going into twenty twenty five and beyond. They had to bench Cam in favor of Walker because you need to find out about Walker and if the Vikings are offering what's reported a fifth that could become a fourth you had to take that. Anything better than a seven, you had to take that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Unfortunately, it's time. I keep getting questions about fire sale. I don't know how to define a fire sale, but I know Roy Robinson Harrison left two weeks ago and Cam Robinson left.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: Look, it's it's not a happy day. Cam was a good player for this team for a long time. I liked Cam a lot, but as Brian said, at some point, you have to fear out what your future is and get value for a guy that you're ninety nine point nine nine nine percent sure is not going to be here next year.
Speaker 4: Well, in appreciation for him, he's the last guy who played for Doug Moro, and he was the last guy who was here when Tom Cofflin was here, and he talked about it at length when Tom Cofflin was inducted in the Pride of the Jaguars.
Speaker 2: Kai.
Speaker 4: I mean, he's a guy with some perspective, has seeing big winning seasons and endured his share of unfortunate You hate to see a guy go, but he was going to go anyway. If you can get something for him, it makes too much sense.
Speaker 3: Certainly, be a different locker room because Cam has been here for such a long time. So we'll have a little bit more on this as the day goes along, and hopefully more for you on jag XAM tomorrow morning. Our second big thing today is going to be about ready, Set Go. The team has started slow all season long, and that's something the team has addressed and they talked about they have to deal with going forward.
Speaker 1: Had a good start first down, you know, we're what a six seven hour completion now on first down to tank and then two any completions, I mean, those are just things we've got to continue to look at. And you know, it's just it's just that execution part, right and then as coach is making the decisions and the type of calls that we're making, and you know, just look at it and make sure we're doing the right thing there. And but again, you know, it took us into the second quarter against New England to get going, and it took us about to the fourteenth play of this game, you know, to get us going. So you know, that's something we've got to look at and really make an emphasis of, you know, starting like the way we finish that would be that would be ideal.
Speaker 2: You know, as we move forward John.
Speaker 3: It would be really ideal if they could pick up where they left off in the fourth quarter of the last game, at least on offense. But how do they actually get that done?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 5: Conceptually, when you script early, a lot of times you're looking and trying to figure out, Okay, what works against this defense. If they're gonna play this, how do we counter that? So it can be a little bit of a test for the rest of the game. That being said, you don't want to test and then have it be the middle of the second quarter before you do anything. So I wonder, Brian, if you don't try to I hate when people always say, well, the solution is to go up tempo. It's hard to go up tempo early if that's what that's what you are. But get Trevor going downfield, get to pocket a little bit, get him playing loose, because that's how he's played well the last few weeks, and I think historically.
Speaker 2: That's how he plays well.
Speaker 4: You know, I think you're talking about layups, giving him some easy throws, some off tempo, some up tempo. However you want to say it, maybe it's no huddle. Listen, the last two games you had five plays and twenty five yards in London, and you had in the first quarter, and you had fifteen yards on I think six plays against the Packers. You've got to do something different, try something different. Press Taylor and his team will try to figure that out this week. But you know, make it easy, which is easy to say and not quite as easy to do.
Speaker 3: Absolutely easier said than done. Our final big thing today is going to be defensive dilemma. We've seen a lot of issues on defense obviously late in the game against the Packers as well. Whether we'll see scheme changes or personnel changes, not quite sure just yet.
Speaker 1: This is the scheme, is it the execution by the players? You know, I would say it's a little both right now, and look bottom line sometimes and I'm not saying this is the this is the case, but you know, you don't want to do too much on the field, right You don't want to take things into your own hands and think you got to do somebody else.
Speaker 2: Just do your Just ask you to do your job.
Speaker 1: Coaches, coach, players play all that, but just do your job and and and we'll be fine. And when the when you see the good out there, that's what's happening. All eleven are playing is one. But but sometimes there's you know, every now and then you get the one guy that you know maybe's out of his gap or does something a little bit different or forgott an assignment or something like that, and it hurts.
Speaker 3: Us Ran It's been tangeful at times to watch the defense. He's talking about kind of playing your role and not going outside of your job. Is it just that simple? Is it about simplifying things?
Speaker 4: Well, this week, I think it's really simple. I think it's about the front seven. Because Saquon Barkley is on a tear the last two games one hundred and seventy six yards against the Giants. He could have had his career best that day, one hundred and eight yards last week when they beat the Bengals, and when you combine him with Jalen Hurts in that offensive line. Look, if the Jaguars play the run as poorly as they did the run against the Packers, they don't have to worry about the back end because the Eagles are not gonna stop running the ball. This is about guys up front in their gaps and then wrapping up and making tackles. They didn't tackle very well. They didn't play the run very well. They better do that a lot better against the Eagles on Sunday.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think there's a chance this week they get Dewey back that could help in terms of awareness back there. I don't want to sit here and tell people watching this that I think they're all of a sudden gonna start covering better because they haven't covered well all year. I kind of agree with what Brian said. He got stop the run, and then when you get pass rushing opportunities against this team, you have to contain Jalen Hurts and you have to get some rush from the interiors they haven't had until they get better pass rush. You know, I'm not sure it matters what they do.
Speaker 2: In the back end.
Speaker 3: I'll have to see what that will exactly be in terms of changes. Say, with us here on jagsam, we'll do a little bit of this or that as to what some changes we think might be. Welcome back to jag zamb brought to you in part by Field's Auto, Jacksonville's premier luxury auto group. We can head over to Fields Auto dot com.
Speaker 5: This Oh, that's this school.
Speaker 3: Welcome back into Jagzam. We're doing a little this or that. Normally in this segment we talk about the offensive line, maybe Walker Little or Cam Robinson, but that decision has apparently been made already. So when we look at the offensive line, let's just talk about this overall to kind of start things off. Do you still feel good about the depth of the offensive line? A lot of what we were seeing, you know, consistency. We talked about having the same five players out there now with Walker in the mix, do we think we'll see the same thing. Also, we don't really know whether as or Cleveland will be able to go either.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, the depth is going to be tested now.
Speaker 4: Obviously you had three guys that you were comfortable with a tackle and Walker was a swing guy and now he's gone. Well Cam has gone, so Walker's there, and this week you're probably gonna have Cooper Hodges playing with Ezra Cleveland injured. So where's your depth come from? You don't have a whole lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, depth, Van Lannon, right, depth is depth until it's gone. And now it's gone. So that was sort of a luxury at the start. It was a luxury that a contending team needs. It's a luxury that a team that's two and six can't afford. So now you have to find out if you have depth. Cole Van Lannon supposedly had the greatest preseason in NFL history, and I'm kidding about that because it got so over hyped. But he had a great hit, a really good preseason. Now he needs to be your death. Need to find out if he can be your death going forward. You know, if if you can get him in, if you like him, then all of a sudden, your dynamic changes in the offseason.
Speaker 2: So there's stories like that we'll see.
Speaker 4: Well, two other names to consider in this conversation too. Blake Hanson is a guy who's been around for a couple of years and he had to start in Cleveland last year and even had to move out and play and tackle. They kept him obviously because they thought that he had upside, and maybe he does. They brought him up from the practice squad yesterday and the other guy's Javon Foster, their fourth round picked from Missouri, who Tony Bisselli thought had the feet to play at this level. So you know, he's a guy with long arms. He played in the Southeastern Conference. He's got the body to play tackle. Well, you know, perhaps we'll see him active in coming days or weeks. Fourth round pick is a guy you expect to eventually become a key contributor.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so to wonder when that happens. You know, you're two and six. I don't think you're throw in the towel right now. You're closed, the towels in your hand, ready to throw. But at some point you do wonder do you figure out what Cole of Atlanta and Javon Foster are because you need to know for the off season what that means. I mean, if those guys can play, it dramatically changes what you.
Speaker 2: Have to do in the off season.
Speaker 4: And we have to watch Brandon Sheriff, who left the game last week with injury. He came back in, but he's an older guy who's played and gutted out some injuries in recent seasons. Kai you hope he can continue to do that, but you can't count on it.
Speaker 2: You can't.
Speaker 3: And it's good to see. At this point, we mentioned to see what you actually have on your roster. So we're gonna see what we have in terms of wide receivers because Chrishkan Kirk has been lost to the year. He had a surgery on his collarbone broken collarbone. We do know Brian Thomas Junior much more favorable outcome. He had a clear MRI, just a pain tolerance issue. It's a contusion on his side, so he could possibly be available this week, but if not this week, it's not a long term issue. But that means there's a spot on the offense that needs to be filled rightfully. So I'm sure Parker Washington will kind of play that slot receiver role. But this to that is a little bit about the two Penn State guys Parker Washington and Brenton Strange and soon Brenton Strange involved in the offense so far this season as his playing time increased with Evan Ingram out and now with an extra kind of person to fill in on the offense, who do you think benefits.
Speaker 5: Most from it? But I think Parker will because I'm not sure that Brenton's role unless there's one more injury wide receiver changes significantly. Now He's looked better and better and I think he's earning more in the offense outside of what's going on at receiver. But if Parker Washington, he's flashed enough and done enough really positive things to make you really wonder if he can do it, if he can raise it and not just do it on occasion, Can he be Trevor's guy.
Speaker 2: I think that's what he's working toward.
Speaker 4: Ryn I do, and I'll throw a name out there. He's on injured reserve right now, but I think he can come back after this next week. That's Stevin Duvernet, who is a guy who is a Pro Bowl return man.
Speaker 2: But they hoped he would.
Speaker 4: Be able to take a role in the offense and if they have continued issues at wide receiver over time, maybe they find a way to get him involved when he gets back as well. I'm a big fan of Brenton Strange. It showed last week when they moved down the field. Guy. He plays the whistle on every play, block, catch, doesn't matter, He'll do whatever you ask. I think the combination of him and Evan Ingram, if used correctly, could be a nice one two combo that could maybe keep I keep going back to the days when the Patriots have the two tight ends, right, the one who shall not be named, but the other one Gronkowski, right, and they got a lot of mileage out of the two tight ends because they were very creative that year. It's been a long time, but I keep thinking, if you have to, you can use those two guys in combination, and Doug.
Speaker 3: Certainly utilized tight ends and his time in Philly as well. And I've just been impressed with the amount of trust that Brenton's strange has already kind of garnered from all of his teammates and Trevor as.
Speaker 5: Every time he thrown the ball and makes a p so at some point that becomes mescle memory for a quarterback, and it's starting to happen with Trevor.
Speaker 2: I'm just not sure that with Parker.
Speaker 5: I think he can fill Christian's role enough that I don't know that they have to automatically change to an all twelve personnel.
Speaker 2: All the time in this offense.
Speaker 5: I think Parker Washington it's gonna be interesting to me to see how well he plays. He has shown he may be able to be really good, but in this league you have to do it over consistent time when you have an opportunity like this.
Speaker 4: I can add because I talked to him last week for radio, that he's confident in his ability to take that next step. It's not like this is too big for him he played at Penn State.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of the second year players we've been seeing stepping up this year, and hopefully he's the next one to do that. Let's look to the defensive side of the ball. We've been hearing about dew we working his way back. He's had his practice window activated, possibly could be activated to active roster this week. Do we see him as a starter right out of the gate? Has he been out long enough with his injury severe enough that he'll be worked back in. We've seen such interesting play from the safety so far this year that I think a lot of people would love to see you out there for every play. But is he ready to do that much?
Speaker 2: I can.
Speaker 4: I can understand why they might want to, because he was a guy who was having a really good camp and he's grown. I mean, there was a time when he was a special teams player and a sub package guy. Only I would be cautious because he's coming back from a pretty good injury and I'll never forget in twenty twenty two, the back to back games where he was the impact player in the fourth quarter in sub packages against the Ravens and against the Cowboys. I would play to his strength until he is full strength, we'll see.
Speaker 5: My guess is what will happened to do is what happens is what I always happened to do. It they'll work is they'll work him back in slowly, and then he'll make a play in every game that he plays until he forces his way into the starting line up. So that's usually his m He's an aware player. Look, he and Foyer and Ventre Miller to me are the guys that have what this team has lacked too much, which is an awareness to make plays in the moment. And I think he'll he'll force his way back in. He'll probably give one up, but then he'll get a pick where you go, we gotta play this guy, listen.
Speaker 4: Don't forget he was this team's best specialty, aames performer before.
Speaker 2: He got hurt.
Speaker 4: So there's probably a very interesting give and take conversation between Heath Farwell and Ryan Nielsen about how much and who, because you know the teams wants him back.
Speaker 3: Also, absolutely stay with us here on jag Zam. Coming up, we'll talk about a little bit what's going on in.
Speaker 5: The AFC South.
Speaker 3: For eleven years, Dreamfinders Homes have been proud to call themselves the official home builder of the Jacksonville Jaguars is a dreamfinders' homes dot com for all of the available inventory and Go Jags, Welcome back into jag Zam. We're gonna look around the AFC South a little bit, see what's going on with everybody else and some of the opponents that we're going to be taking on. Titans and Lines played each other and it was an absolute blow. The Lions looked like super Bowl bound at this point. It's just been so impressive what they've been able to do with the rebuild there and just the offense as well. I know they had some favorable field positioning because of special teams, but just such an impressive team.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the Dragons are there in two weeks or three thanks coming up. Yeah, boy, they're gonna have to figure things out because the Lions have a passing attack, which Eric Goff who was you know, cast aside by the Rams a few years ago, and he's really turned himself into a top level quarterback. The Titans are a team that are in transition, John, I mean, they played bully ball for so long and they had a specific way that they beat you and Brian Callahan comes in and that they've got to change that. And that means different players at different positions and a different mindset. And clearly they're trading players away. They're saying, this is a year that we figure out who can do it, and next year is a year that we find players who can.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you wonder where they're at with quarterback. I mean there's rumors or the Will Levis. You're not sure what's gonna happen there. They came in and they're trying to figure out who they are. Haven't figured that out yet. You know, I don't really know where they go. I don't know what their identity will be, but I expect they'll figure it out before the end the year and have some direction after this year.
Speaker 2: And that's what Tennessee's task.
Speaker 3: Is sure is now when we look to the Colts and Texans, Texans getting another win, they're still top the division, of course, but the Colts coming down yesterday that they're going to be benching Anthony Richardson. This is after he tapped himself out of the game the other day because he was winded. And I open up Pandora's box with you guys but have you ever seen that before?
Speaker 5: Well, for that reason, I haven't, and it's I guess it's part of.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure what to say about it.
Speaker 3: I don't think anyone has had an answer for it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it's I guess he had run three straight plays, and there is a school of thought you want to be able to give your best if you're on the field, So let's give him the benefit of the doubt there. I would think if I'm the coach, that a change is more because of the accuracy issues. And I if I'm a coach, I don't necessarily change because of that play. I change if I'm concerned that Joe Flacco is a better option for me to win.
Speaker 2: Clearly they think that.
Speaker 5: Anthony Richardson Brian, the story on him coming out was not very much experience, not very much accuracy when he played, and it was a huge project. And as we've talked about in the NFL, it's tough to give a guy thirty games. That's that's two seasons. That's a huge chunk of your franchise development. It's hard to give guys that kind of developmental time.
Speaker 2: He's games, right, Rookie year.
Speaker 5: It's only ten, but it feels like I'm sure for Colts people, it feels like forever already.
Speaker 2: So it's the point.
Speaker 5: It's hard, Uh, these guys who come out without much experience, it's hard to give them the time on task to become what they need to be. And that's the that's the element of the culture in right now.
Speaker 4: Listen, he is Cam Newton physically. I mean he's this incredibly give did physical specimen. The throw that he made an opening day, falling backwards sixty five yards into the end zone.
Speaker 2: Not many guys can make that throw.
Speaker 4: But most quarterbacks can stand in the pocket and distribute the ball on time, which is what the rules are designed for. Quarterback stays in the pocket, they don't get hit. This guy gets hit all the time, and that's why he's only played in ten games. He can't stay healthy.
Speaker 2: He was a big.
Speaker 4: Project coming out, that was the word on him. Turns out it's more like a massive project to get him comfortable in the modern NFL. And if they're going to sit him down, how do you come back from that?
Speaker 5: Well, he may be one of these guys and you're starting to see it a little bit, and I think it's going to play out over the next five years. Sam Donold Baker mayfield a golf to a degree, guys who go on to next teams because these guys come out in college right now, and it's a different game college in the NFL. So these quarterbacks who are thrown in, they're learning on the fly. Teams gave up on him. Now you're seeing guys in the their second career become really good. I think you're gonna see a trend to that because I don't think people realize what different games they are.
Speaker 4: By the way, the Texans losing Steffan Diggs to the torn Aco is bigger than a lot.
Speaker 2: Of people might think.
Speaker 4: They say, well, it's just Tank Dell and Nico Collins and then you've got the tied end that makes so many plays. But if you were called the game the Jaguars played, he was the guy that was the most difficult to account for because he could do so many different things.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not saying anyone's going to catch them. I don't think. You know, maybe the Colts do because they're closer. But it's just it's interesting.
Speaker 4: I thought that was a sneaky, great pickup in the offseason for them. Veteran guy who can get down the field, they can run him on a sweep.
Speaker 2: He was really.
Speaker 4: Difficult for the Jaguars to coral and I remember thinking where is he on every play? With him not there, it does bring them down a notch from where they were.
Speaker 3: Stayle's here on Jagsam coming up. We will tell you what's going on the rest of the week. Jags fans, if you want to customize the Jaguars furniture for your home, check got to dot com to browse all the custom misable options. Zip chair is furniture for fans.
Speaker 2: And I'm going look at the first chuck.
Speaker 4: It down at nine crush here on Lawrence he throws c H check jaqu wars course down.
Speaker 2: Yeah a Kirk yeah krk jack a down at five.
Speaker 1: Lawrence throws ain't so jock us touchdown.
Speaker 2: That's your rookie.
Speaker 3: Brian Thomas Junior miked up. You may think he is quiet. He is not quiet on the field. They can promise you that. So you're gonna want to check out that micd up. Absolutely, he was miked up against the Packers.
Speaker 2: It was a good one, you know. Marvin Harrison Jr.
Speaker 4: And malite neighbors were top picks, uh and and are playing very well, but they're not playing better than him. Who the jag Wars got in the bottom third of the first round. I mean, what a great pick. And I'll be honest, at the time, I thought it was a luxury pick. I thought they needed to address the offensive line. And it turns out that.
Speaker 2: This kid is as good a rookie as there is playing this year.
Speaker 3: And they traded down and still got their guy.
Speaker 5: So yeah. He encouraging thing for me is I'm not sure he's figured anything out yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He pure challenge and his.
Speaker 5: Football instincts and his ability to do special things. See it, He's a football player and they need more of these around it.
Speaker 4: When Jimmy Smith was here for the Colts game for the Pride of the Jaguars induction for Tom Kaughlin, he marveled at how good he was. And you know, Jimmy doesn't throw compliments out about wide receivers very.
Speaker 2: Often, but thought this kid was incredibly special.
Speaker 4: He is the heir to Jimmy Smith, almost twenty years after Jimmy Smith left.
Speaker 3: The game to see, hopefully that comes true. John, who are you talking to this week.
Speaker 5: I am talking to Parker Washington, so I want to see how he's going to handle a huge opportunity, a potential career opportunity for him.
Speaker 4: I'm talking to Press Taylor, going to find out about how they can get this offense going quicker, faster, more productive early so that they don't fall behind.
Speaker 2: Ten nothing that would be great.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go off field with Ventrel Miller before Florid, Georgia, see if he's got any good memories to share. And then tomorrow on jacksonm we're going to go over this upcoming game against the Eagles because it's gonna be a tough one for sure, so we're gonna break all of that down for you tomorrow. We will see you on Jacks AM.