Speaker 1: Of the law and order franchises, SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on.
Speaker 3: These are our stories done done.
Speaker 2: Yay, that's messed up. A SVU podcast. We're here.
Speaker 1: My name is Lisa, my name is Kara, And every week on this show we recap an episode of SVU, talk about the true crime that it's based on, and sometimes we interview a guest, and we do that today, but first we chit chat and talk about the world at large in our own lives. And yeah, some of you say it's your favorite part of the episode, and some of you say, let us know when we can fast forward that part. And I want to let you know right now. I'm not going to ever take the time to do a timestamp to tell you when the episodes, like fifteen to twenty minutes get over this fast forward.
Speaker 4: But I do have a huge, huge news.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow, August thirteenth, eight thirteen, I am throwing the first pitch at the Chicago White Sox game against the hell the Detroit Tigers at one ten. So if you're in, if you don't work or you want to call off and you're in the area, I'll be there tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Oh my god. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's really exciting. I've gone out and practice twice. And I think people just don't have faith in women because everyone's like whoa, and I'm like, yeah, I wouldn't want to do this if I was that bad.
Speaker 4: But yeah, you know, people do it bad, you'll do it bad. Yeah, yeah, I see people.
Speaker 1: I think also people get stage fright. Yeah, like I would get sports stage fright, like you know, yeah, that's at that's that's the thing. But I'll practice beforehand. I have my MIT, so I'll like, i'll get loose, I think before you have your own.
Speaker 5: Minus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got a mid so I could practice. I don't like half my mid from childhood. I actually do. But that's a shock where you still have you well you know why. It's like I grabbed it from my house when I used to play softball in like McCarran Park on like a team in Brooklyn when I lived there, and then I just kind of kept it and I still have it.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: So Lenny Marcus, he was really smart. We first practiced with a softball so by the time I did the baseball. It was so much lighter and faster, So that was like cool and how told it?
Speaker 4: So yeah, we'll see but.
Speaker 2: You yeah, because I've been arrested there, so it's kind of like my triumphant circle moment.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's huge, amazing, and everyone is really excited. It's kind of fun to tell people like people get really jazzed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exciting too, that's huge. I love it. And like we all know you're a white Sox fan. That's so cool. But I am sure, I'll be I am so. I Also, this is just this is sports adjacent. But yeah, so so I'll obviously be making posts and then like TBT posts to my first socks game and that's more. There will be a colash. Your hair will be less blonde this time around.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, what to read? Speaking of, I started Project Runway and Ka's in it. Yeah I heard, and they call her Ethan and it's weird, weird. Yeah, it's all Ethan and she's a bitch, Like she really is a bit better than everyone. I think she's gonna win. She's probably gonna win. Yeah, I think she's better than everyone. And La Roach is so mean. It's kind of like fantastic and the talent.
Speaker 4: Is being added. It's so good. Yeah it is.
Speaker 2: I mean, one complaint from a friend was like he's not a designer, he's a stylist. So there's just like that kind of like that kind of lack of whatever.
Speaker 4: I don't even know the word.
Speaker 1: Sure, but like Nina Garcia was like a magazine editor. You know, well she's still there, but that's her job, you know. Then they another editor.
Speaker 2: But I'm just saying, like the Zach Po's and Michael Core's has been taken over by it because they actually does Oh I get that.
Speaker 1: So it's a little bit different, but I don't care. He's awesome. Yeah, yeah, he's great.
Speaker 2: And he's mean to the other jow not mean, but like he just says whatever the fuck he wants is awesome.
Speaker 1: Wait, so you're for throwing out the first pitch on the thirteenth and then what are you flying back the morning for our show?
Speaker 2: And truly I'm flying there the twelfth, like I get in the twelfth, I throw the thirteenth, and then I leave the fourteenth for that's messed up live show in Brooklyn.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Well, if you guys haven't bought a ticket yet, and you want to get the scoop from Lisa straight from her pitch, you gotta come to our show and the house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll be in rough shape for sure because the weekend prior I'm in the woods shooting a short and so I'm really like, go go busy.
Speaker 4: You're a busy You're a busy bee.
Speaker 1: But I think the live show, but regular tasks are still what keeps me down. Yeah, I have to pick up laundry and I didn't. I forgot to grab the ticket. I'm like, Jesus, I can't.
Speaker 4: I can't.
Speaker 1: Eight fourteen, we're at the Bell House, seven thirty. We're doing a brand new episode we've never done in New York. Please come get tickets. Go to that s meassage. I met a lot for tickets. Town is like in the streets people have been like no I know, and people are like I get back the next day, Like I get it. But like, if you're if you're if you're in the environs, come in from Connecticut, come on New Jersey. Let's go try state area. But I was going to say, how has it been going with your laundry? Speaking of your laundry, Visa VI your allergies, because somebody said, you've got to find a place that does all allergy free because tide will like stay on in the machines. See, people are so smart. Is there really a place I can't I don't know if that exists. I don't know if that exists, like a place where they're like hosing like like decontaminating the machines in between.
Speaker 4: Oh, but I wanted to bring this up.
Speaker 1: Okay, first of all, you know I always have to have kid corner where I tell some funny story about my kids or whatever.
Speaker 4: But I did.
Speaker 1: I've been taking my kids on mystery walks because at home in La Rosie has a camera. She got a like a kid camera for her birth or what did I give it to her for her Christmas?
Speaker 4: Her birthday something?
Speaker 1: And so now we go on these spooky walks and she takes pictures and she does little videos of herself being like, Okay, here's what we found, and it's so funny. And like we did one in La where we heard music coming from a huge party in our neighborhood and we just like followed the sound of it and then we fat we saw some woman get out of her card. She looked really like she was on her way to a party, so we followed her and she was going to the party. So we found the party. It was Rosie's coverage of it is so funny. So we tried to do one here and my parents live in like I don't know what do you call it, Like a development, like a bunch of houses that are just like right next to each other and look identical, and like everybody is not everybody, but I would say most people are fifty plus. It's not a hot bopin' young development. So we're walking around and Rosie's like, is that suspicious? Is that suspicious? I'm like, nothing suspicious. And then she goes, whoa, mom, that's suspicious And it's just a Mercedes sprinter van, the kind that the housewives take on try well, thank god she has instance. I go, this is so funny. I go here, she goes, she goes, can I have your phone? She takes my phone takes a picture of it. I was like, many suspicious things have happened in these vans. Somebody was just telling me that they tried to get into Real Housewives as Salt Lake City.
Speaker 4: And she goes, I just like saw the first episode.
Speaker 1: I tuned into a woman like threw up and pissed herself in one of those vans, and I go, yeah, Heather had too many espresso martinis. That's not like actually normally how she acts. She was like, it just felt like we needed to get her help.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know people like this, this this happens like over He's like, can we change it? The fightings a little much? Grow up, grow up. I guess you grew up in too quiet of a home. Like, truly, it does not affect me at all. These people ere that upset. A fifty year old's puking, Get a grip, Get a grip.
Speaker 1: Well, she's in recovery too, so she was like should She was like shit, but she goes, I love watching the alcoholics on the Housewives, but this would seem too far.
Speaker 4: And I was like, that's actually the worst she's ever gotten.
Speaker 1: And honestly, I don't think that people know how to handle espresso martiniz a.
Speaker 4: Lot of the time.
Speaker 2: Well did you see that Michelle Obama had Matt and Bowen on with her brother and that she watched like Next Gen NYC?
Speaker 1: Yeah, she called them the next Gen babies. She was like, oh my god.
Speaker 6: Cool.
Speaker 1: No, She's like she's like, the culture is everything, and she's not wrong. You got to know what people are talking about, what's going on. And yeah, Michelle Obama one of us, a Bravo head, one of of us. Also, we've been getting a lot of messages about this. But also I saw it in my feed, which I'm sure you saw it in Trouble.
Speaker 4: No, the Annabelle Doll. I can't.
Speaker 2: I can't fuck the hat rife, fuck you forgetting the Annibal so you I can't.
Speaker 1: I can't. We can't talk about Okay, we can't. Okay, I don't want Lisa to explode. But if you don't know what we're talking about, you well maybe, I mean you better watch out. Like it's not fun and I don't want the doll. Maybe it's good he has the doll. I mean it's good for people that. Yeah, it's like it's good for people.
Speaker 4: That don't like his comedy because he's gonna get haunted.
Speaker 1: I mean why, I don't understand it. It's like so crazy, like I don't know he bought like a bunch of you.
Speaker 2: Don't think ROS would buy the Annabelle Doll. I mean, we know that's on brand. We don't even know the brand though. He's like a twenty eight year old worth millions of doll like, we don't know him.
Speaker 1: Also, he bought a haunted house in Connecticut and then bought the museum with the Annabel doll. I guess it's that's the whole thing. I don't understand. Maybe that's why I don't have money. It's on realtor dot com. Listen. I don't think ros would actually buy it because I think Rose I wouldn't either respect.
Speaker 4: The power of actual, really haunted things.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't even be if I heard the Annabell doll was one way, I would go the other way. I would not be dilly dallying next to the Annabel doll. But I'm just mad that he has it. Yeah, yeah, I'm like, where is this in Connecticut?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just.
Speaker 4: Why why does he get everything?
Speaker 2: I mean, also, okay, beckon sale and you get the Annabell doll.
Speaker 1: It's just like, not okay, I'm in Connecticut right now. I don't even like knowing that Annabel and I are in the same state. You know, yeah, watch out, you don't know what's gonna know.
Speaker 2: Also, I mean, obviously we're in a fascist nightmare, but like I just can't believe the ballroom, Like I really can't. Did you see the designs of what this two hundred million dollar ballroom is gonna look like?
Speaker 1: I haven't seen the designs, but I was just looking at like instagrams this morning of people that are like I have done massive renovations of huge ballrooms bigger than this one, and they were two million dollars.
Speaker 4: I could see it maybe being.
Speaker 1: Fifty million dollars because it's like historic land, but two hundred million dollars feels insane. But I will say it's it's donated money.
Speaker 4: It's not taxpayer money, so.
Speaker 1: I don't It's like if the fucking idiot like Maga people want to give money for a ballroom, then like I guess, have at it.
Speaker 4: I'm sure, Oh it's that.
Speaker 2: I thought it was more like the government, like being like paid off by.
Speaker 1: I was told it was through donations. That's what I was. That was what I read. I can't find the photo, but it's just gonna be. It's gonna be bigger than the White House attached to the side, like the picture I saw just looked crazy. It's just like worldview, it's this I just don't get out there, like where this is happening, Like, oh, someone there was a bad report and you fired someone and everyone's like that's just it. Like I just can't believe we're here where these things are just happening NonStop and that's just that, I know.
Speaker 4: I guess that's what's hard.
Speaker 2: And like, also back to the house, but Glaine is going to minimum security. They liter rely with Jen Shaw and Elizabeth Holmes and it's like, but the question, the question remains, if there's no Epstein list, then what is Glaine in jail for trafficking people to nobody? Like what do we you know, part of me thinks they're just trying to like lower her shit to eventually give her a deal and make her like kind of disappear or whatever.
Speaker 4: Onto. I don't think they can kill her.
Speaker 2: Oh, yesterday, someone on stage said that they believe that where did I was this on TV?
Speaker 4: Whatever? That Epstein's alive.
Speaker 1: They fully believe he's just like on an island, whoa tupac? Okay, Okay, they're saying, I don't know, I have no idea. I just like I can't believe it. The pedophilic.
Speaker 4: I just.
Speaker 1: I mean, it was their number one issue and now they're done with it. They're over, it's done. It's just the list is just Bill Clinton's name twenty times and he made the list and no one else is on it. And that's that. That's that on that, that's that on that. It's fucking so crazy.
Speaker 2: But wait, I have you know I play all my little movie and TV games.
Speaker 4: Yes, and Maloney was in one.
Speaker 2: I don't know if this is Cinematrix or movie Grids, so I apologize, but Maloney was in it, and I did pretty good. So the category for one word show I got an eleven percent. Three or more words I got nine point nine percent, and a pilot release from nineteen ninety to twenty twenty five I got five percent.
Speaker 1: Ooh, do you want to guess all Maloney stuff? It's yeah, it's Maloney and that love of answer. Yeah, one word project, like one word TV show that he was in, that show Happy he did on sci Fi.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's what that would have been my guess.
Speaker 2: I think that was the number one guess I put veep Oh deep was an eleven percent answer.
Speaker 1: That's good. Okay, so he didn't star in that. He's just like in a few ups.
Speaker 4: That's smart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, three or more words? What how I mean what hot American Summer? I feel like is probably that's not a TV show? Oh not, it has to me TV. Oh yay, the TV grid?
Speaker 4: Baby? What other TV shows has Maloney been in? Three or more words? Okay?
Speaker 1: I only nine point nine percent of people answered with I give it Law and Order Organized crime? Yeah, oh really, yeah I did it.
Speaker 2: And then the one that got five percent for pilot release between ninety and twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: I mean, is that SV no? What's another? Oh?
Speaker 2: Oz no, But that's that's actually that was the number one one word title show, was oz Okay, now that I remember, I'm remembering, Yeah.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. That's more popular than that sci fi thing he did. What what is it? What's this last True Blood?
Speaker 6: Fuck? I always forget he's in True Blood.
Speaker 1: By the time he joined True Blood, I thought True Blood had gone fucking off the rails. I'm just watching, but I was, wait, or what happened with you watching that? Were you trying?
Speaker 4: I did?
Speaker 2: The second season was so bad. I just didn't want anything to do with it. I couldn't.
Speaker 1: It really falls off comes back a little bit.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I'm so into Dexter Like the dexter mania has hit me.
Speaker 4: In such a huge way.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about it all the time. I'm thinking about it all the time. Another TV thing. So you know the judge that we talk about, Ada Turturo, who was from The Sopranos.
Speaker 1: You know that's John Taturo's brother sister. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I didn't know that. Have we talked about that? Oh yeah, I think so. I don't think we've done. They look exactly, they have the same face. I feel like I maybe what a family.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, So I will admit to everyone I did do whippets again, and I'm truly I.
Speaker 4: Would be addicted. Where is this coming from?
Speaker 2: I want to be addicted to whip It's so bad, But I know it would take over my life. So I'm not buying any of the equipment. But no, you love me special occage. I think I know I was. I was hanging out with friends and every time I heard the little gas go off, I was like a dog with a salami whip my hand.
Speaker 1: It was Pavlovian. I was like, yeah, ran with my little balloon. Oh wait, she's his cousin. Their cousins. But then, what's there's another Turturo? Casey, will you look up?
Speaker 2: There's another actor Turturo who's in a bunch of TV. Is that a brother, Nicholas Turturo one hundred and nine credits?
Speaker 1: Okay, he's working, he's working. Oh, oh my god, oh my god. Yes, he's Frank Bucci. He's the freaking guy that's the detective. And his daughter like becomes a sex worker or whatever, runs away, and then he holds Rollin's hostage. Yeah, like kidnaps her from her therapist. Fuck, that's say now that I never would have known. I don't think they looked that much alike. All right, they looked that much alike.
Speaker 2: Yeah, That's how I got into all this is. I caught a clip of him talking about his brother and how much he loves his brother.
Speaker 4: Oh, you know, a big family.
Speaker 1: And then he's got another one, Diego Tutruro is his son, and now he's acting alright, right he says son, Yeah, Ariano. I mean every single person on the Wikipedia is blue. So they're they're they're they're all working, and they're all doing something. The shop family. Yeah, who is Okay, oh wait now I'm on not Oh wait, now we're just IMDb trolling. Yeah, now we got to just start the episode. I think, Yeah, yeah, we got a stay. Yeah we got you know, we get sucked into an IMDb hole.
Speaker 2: But yeah, whippets, IMDb, that's all I need, a little deck ster.
Speaker 1: It is a good drug. Sorry, but I won't I won't get into it.
Speaker 2: But the funny thing is, so you know, it's like a dessert metal thing and you put the nitrous little things on it and then you put a balloon on it. And there was there was a chef there who had never done whippets, but then he knew how to use this contraption.
Speaker 4: So I went, oh wow, look at you a quick learner.
Speaker 2: He goes, I make Holland days with this, and I forgot that It's like a thing people can for real.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wow.
Speaker 1: I've never done like these pro ones that you're talking about. I've literally just like been at a bar where like at four in the morning when the bar is closed and the bar owner is like, suck on this and it's like a ready wet bottle, and I've been like, like, I've not done the real official whippets I've just done.
Speaker 4: Maybe we'll do it at Bellhouse maybe.
Speaker 1: Wait, how long does it last? It's like, is it like is it like thirty seconds? Thirty seconds? Okay, yeah, that's why you do it all night. Canis Terra after Canis Drafter Canister. I've only done it three times. I've only done it three times, but twice in the last month. Okay, so the habit is forming.
Speaker 2: No, I'm like, I could buy whippets from the smoke shop near near the comedy cellar, like the whippets are out like it's truly disciplined. It's truly disciplined that I'm not full like and worry. I think my friends would know. I just know I would get addicted.
Speaker 4: I just know. That's why I don't do that.
Speaker 2: I've only done zan Next like a few, like a handful, not even five times, because I know I would love it so much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it would take over my life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we don't know, and we don't know what the prolonged effect. I don't think there's like anybody like that's crushing in life. That's like doing whip it's every ten five minutes, right.
Speaker 2: Well, the person I'm doing it with is definitely reallyful millionaire.
Speaker 4: Yes, but and he's doing it constantly.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's yeah shit, Okay, never mind, I stand corrected. No, I would say one of the more successful people that I know for sure, damn Yeah.
Speaker 4: Okay, whipp it's king with the King of whips.
Speaker 2: Yeah, guys, send us DMS. Guess who you think is my whippe king? All right, we're starting case he's rubbing, let's start. This episode is truly fucked up. Get right, it's the worst. Hello, I mean we already did that. Okay, well this is that episode. So we're doing Shock Collar season twenty six, episode twenty so just from May of twenty twenty five. And I will say, bra, I watch Peacock for Bravo every day of my life.
Speaker 4: Love it.
Speaker 2: I don't like watching SVU on Peacock. It makes me feel weird and uncomfortable, but since it's the new episode, I have to.
Speaker 4: But I don't love it. And the rewind ten seconds.
Speaker 2: Was delayed for a while, like it was like an annoying experience app wise, Yeah, but I'm such a Peacock lover and I don't know why my brain breaks and why I crave Hulu for sv Yeah, it's different when you've been watching like Miami and then Yeah, I don't know, but I had to watch this on NBC dot Com with commercials and that was also painful.
Speaker 1: So please release season twenty six from its hostage situation and put it on Hulu. Thank you. Who lo's like not getting a deal for the new seasons?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, but it'll be on next year because like twenty five is on it. Yeah, you just get it a year later, which I get. I get NBC because it is such a number one show. It's always in Peacock's top.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm excited to talk about this episode. We've never talked about an episode so recent, and this one's got it's got me thinking a lot of thoughts.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I remember seeing it live and I think I talked about an.
Speaker 4: Intro going what the fuck is up with you?
Speaker 1: You said you saw it before I saw it, and you were like, what the fucking shot?
Speaker 4: Collar want? Ago? I'm not there yet? And then I watched it was like, what the hell? So here we are?
Speaker 2: Okay, A girl and a beanie's in a car saying she wants to stay home because she's sick, but mom has to work, okay, And then after she's doing work stuff, they're gonna swing by the doctor's office and the mom's being fun. She's playing cute guessing games, and then she stops the car and we see that she's delivering food. And the mom puts the heat on in the car for her child, and then she leaves the red Nissan to deliver food.
Speaker 1: She's waving back at her child and.
Speaker 2: The guy's not answering the door fast enough and the music's getting loud, so it's not good what's happening. But it's this guy's breakfast and it's not from an app. It's like directly from a Baudet guy. I think it's like very old school New York vibes because he tips, he went, he goes to get the tip, and they just seem very familiar, like this isn't the first time she's delivered to this guy. But while he's going to go get the tip, then he comes back and he wants to check the bag, like he's making this experience as long and annoying as possible. But then we see the cars being driven off fast and the dude's like, whoa is that your car, no urgency, no heightened vibe, like I hate his high so fucking much. And then she flips out and starts running down the block, obviously screaming for her daughter, Hayley, and she's so freaked out and just breathing deep and like, what the fuck do I do? And immediately we cut to Benson and Rowins having the opposite morning cute walk to school with their kids, just regular moms. Rollins thanks Benson for getting the girls into this like program, and Benson goes, I mean they're gifted, so you know, just like their mother. That's cute, and Rollins and the kids walk ahead, and Benson gets a call. Uh oh so, and then Rollins of course, I mean you should. If you want to do a drinking game, I would do it every time. She she needs to call intelligence. Anytime Rollins is contacting the Intelligence Bureau, you will be blacked out.
Speaker 1: He really is swinging it around. Also, what's so, what's Rollins Benson fanfic? There must be people out there that want those two to get together?
Speaker 5: Oh of course, yeah, for sure, for sure, Benln's rawlson, okay, or maybe it's a threesomething two with creesy I mean, I don't know whatever.
Speaker 2: So Rollins is gonna lock in the Intelligence Bureau because the new chief of D's is letting Benson know that a car is stolen on West eighty eighth Street and it's an eight year old in the backseat. So fuck now, Noah's like, is everything okay? And they lie to the children. They say, yeah, it's just work, but like, he's not a fool. He knows what your job is. Like, clearly someone's been snatched or attacked, you know what I mean. Yeah, what's a casual work day. It's not about Finn's surprise birthday party.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: So a child's been taken. They separate when they're on the scene. Chief Browne, okay, he has a mustache and is not the worst man she's worked with.
Speaker 4: Yet I don't really know about this guy.
Speaker 2: So the child's name is Haley Green, the mom is Katie Green, and the car is running. The door was unlocked, and some UNI in the back's like, what the fuck?
Speaker 1: This is New York. You're just waiting to get your kid taken?
Speaker 2: And Benson goes, okay, relax, And so now we get our season twenty six girls approaching, and I'll finally learn their names, Detective Katie's Silva and Captain Renee Curry.
Speaker 1: Wait, so Silva their just really quick. I don't know if you saw this. I came up on my Instagram, but Silva is out along with Otavio after this season, right along with Oh my god, why am I blanking?
Speaker 4: Thank you?
Speaker 2: So look at listen what I wrote next Velasko And listen and this is what I write. Look at the notes. Can I be honest? I have to look up his name every single time. I can never remember it. But I love Rolins Beanie so much. Yes, okay, so totally. I cannot remember Velasco and even like Joe. When they're like, let's ask Joe to do I'm like, who's Joe? And the I'm like, oh, it's Velasko's first name. He's been on for multiple seasons, but this girl was only on for this one season. The actress is Juliana Aiden Martinez. She's actually going to FBI, so they just like smoked her. She's gonna be a regular on FBI. Okay, cool, which are the best. I wanted to give her more chance on this show too, but they're not giving anybody chances. No, I mean, we'll see if Curry. Curry's probably staying it in making any announcements, which is huge. But yeah, for some now I will remember of Alasko because of this convo. Thank god, you know, he's leaving so right on time. But I, for the life of me, yeah, we can't remember it. Yeah, so we got to get to work. You know, are there witnesses full mobilization? And now we also got to talk to the guy who got the food delivered. So Benson and Rollins go to the mom. She's shaken up obviously. She's like, maybe they just wanted the car. They didn't know Haley was there. Maybe they'll push her out, and Benson's like, sure, but we're actually SVU so no, like your kids taken. And this actress who plays the mom is like really pretty and pulling off the like hard working single mother, sick kid, like you know, and she's in denial. She's gonna be blaming herself. She's great, Leah was zawatam. So Benson goes, Okay, we're taking you to the station and we're gonna focus all your energy on what you remember exactly what happened. And but she's still stuck at the idea that Haley's gonna come home. She's like, but what if she comes back here or home? Like, what are we gonna do? And Rollins is like, very coddling, very nice. I feel like her becoming a professor childer out. Maybe she's reading more books. She's not as quick to go your dumb whore, you know what I mean. So I'm really proud of Rollins here, and she goes, yeah, we're gonna have you know, we'll keep you covered. There'll be cops everywhere, like if she comes back here, but let's get you to the office. So we go right into the credits, and I love seeing Kevin Kine in the cast credits, Like I get excited every time.
Speaker 4: I don't know this man. I mean, he's done the pod.
Speaker 2: I followed him because he was on inciting me Schumer all the time, and so like he's this face. I know, I don't know why I get such immense pride and happiness.
Speaker 4: For him like this.
Speaker 1: I also think it's because he's like kind of comedy and I keep and I keep hoping he's gonna bring a little bit of like the bellser type levity back to the show.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I think that's kind of why.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really Yeah, Bruno has been a great I also think it's cool that he plays assholes all the time, but he's really cool and nice in real life. And like everybody I know that has worked with him is like, he's great. You know, isn't that usually the classic? Yeah, he just has a face. He has a face of a douchebag sometimes not not always, but you know, he can really lean into it.
Speaker 4: App absolutely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're fans and if we haven't listened to the episode with him, maybe you'll be obsessed with him too. Well, because we also I think talked to him when he was like, I hope I'm a series regular that yeah, because he's been he's played five different characters on this show as well.
Speaker 4: We were like, we want you to be regular.
Speaker 1: He's like, yeah, your lips to God's you know, like he was, Wait, we were manifesting way, that was all our doing first Manifested, that's our acergy.
Speaker 2: We're witches, so we're not okay, we're not friend Oh my god, I talked to this comedian.
Speaker 4: Really funny, isn't TV show too? Mike Roland? Do you know Mike?
Speaker 2: He's on Animal control. I really enjoy him. He's from Atlanta. But he said a long long time ago. You know, we obviously all know the saying like don't meet your heroes.
Speaker 4: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: So he said, when he was a younger comic, he saw Hannibal Burahs and he wanted to go talk to him, and Hannibal was a hero of his. But he flubbed it and went up to Hannibal and just said, you know, I never wanted to meet you, and Hannibal just went okay, and then Mike walked away.
Speaker 4: I just love that so much.
Speaker 1: That's really funny, like don't meet your heroes, but also don't say you don't want to meet your heroes.
Speaker 4: That's funny.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm back, I'm back. Sorry guys. All right, So Kevin, oh my god, we're just back from the credits.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: So we're talking to a woman with a small dog and she's wearing a winter hat that's like very high on her head. She kind of looks like a gnome and she goes, well, I try to talk to the mother earlier she was hysterical, understandably, so we like this woman. The girl gets it, and then Kurry and Silver getting all the scoop and this woman did see a white van following the woman's car.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I.
Speaker 2: Feel if I was a pervert, i'd get a different colored van. At this point, you can't have a white one.
Speaker 1: Get an suv at this point a van, and in general, you just can't. I can't really have a van. Yeah, but it's like with an suv.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you can build a shield because I'm like, if we're trapping someone you don't want, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: We can trap. We can trick it out, We'll figure it out.
Speaker 2: Okay, now the guy I was actually thinking about this in bed with the episode Stranger. I'm like, we learn how many we learn life saving tips from SVU? I wonder if criminals learn how to be better criminals. Though I was wondering that because.
Speaker 4: I wish I had a more normal life.
Speaker 2: But in my head, I was thinking in the episode Stranger, when he locked, when he would go into where he held his daughter, he had the paddle like the lock was with a code, and only he had the code.
Speaker 4: So she killed him in the room.
Speaker 1: She wouldn't be able to get out right, And I go, I hope no criminal watch this episode.
Speaker 4: I know, and was like this is that.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I'm constantly saying on this podcast, why would you do that?
Speaker 4: Why wouldn't you do this?
Speaker 1: So I think I'm hoping no criminals are getting any ideas from this podcast because I'm always finding the loopholes of these criminals, and I think I should probably stop doing that, all right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we find out the guy gets food from her twice a week and it's directly from the diner supporting have you ever.
Speaker 4: Heard of anything like that?
Speaker 1: Have you ever heard of somebody getting the same person to deliver their food twice a week for like weeks on end.
Speaker 2: It's That's why I said it was old school. It's like because I remember the show Louis. Remember he would call down, like first season he called down to the bodega and.
Speaker 4: Would put corner in.
Speaker 2: And so I think, if you're ordering directly from the bodega or the diner, they have their own in house people.
Speaker 1: So that makes sense. But it's very rare, I think, with all the apps and ever to be driving your car to do it. Yeah yeah, yeah, because it is bicycles.
Speaker 2: But I feel if like this diner's been around a long time, he inherited this like I can imagine just being like that, or like I sometimes order sushi from a place close by and my Apple will say delivery from the restaurant and it won't have an update on their tracking or anything.
Speaker 4: Oh, because they're doing it. Got it.
Speaker 1: That was a long answer. But I think it's old school. And also if like the restaurant chooses to do it instead of using outside people, So I do think it's possible.
Speaker 4: It's not like part of our culture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like, is this like his food concierge, Like it's like confusing, but okay, only one of the holes I'll be able finding in this episode.
Speaker 4: Keep going.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I keep going, And then he goes, I had no idea, you know, the daughter was in there, she even had a daughter, And if I knew, I wouldn't have made her wait that long to get the tip. But he is being helpful and he's down to give over his ring cam footage. In the office, she's explaining herself to Benson and Rollins she can't afford child's care. They're like, girl, you're not blaming you. You do not have to blame yourself. But then immediately Rollins asks, well, did you have to leave the car running and the door's unlocked, and it's like, well, you're blaming her, yeah, but she goes listen, it's a nice neighborhood. I wanted to keep the heat on and I was twenty feet away. So Benson cuts in with two options. This is either a crime of opportunity or you're being targeted for your daughter. And they start brainstorming, like who could it be if it is a target thing, So they're like, baby daddy?
Speaker 4: Could it be a baby daddy?
Speaker 2: And she goes Dylan And you know, Hayley only spends a week and a month at his place. This guy Dylan, he's a musician, he's at gigs all the time.
Speaker 4: But there's no custody to disputes.
Speaker 2: And she's truly shocked, like we've actually never seen this calm of a relationship with a baby daddy X before I would say right where she goes?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, he would never. She calls me he doesn't want her. He takes her once a one weekend a month, Like he doesn't want Like, you know that would be weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but she like doesn't seem bothered by it, we find out later. So I'm curious if you thought the same thing I did. But they call him on speaker, goes straight to voicemail. She leaves a voicemail to call her back, and they keep asking leading questions, but she's really not suspicious of him. And so now it's group project time in the Center Squad and they still haven't been able to reach the father Shady. No sign of Katie's car either, and nothing from intelligence. But Curry does have something. Sorry, I just thought about my phone again and how much it knows me. And it was a photo of a seagull and it was covered in curry, like some curry exploded on the seagull. And they thought it was like some sick seagull, but it was just covered in curry.
Speaker 4: Iwa washed. I hope it was AI. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So ring cam footage and we have an image of the driver. It looks like a woman that's hiding her face and she's waving to Katie and then she gets into the car and just zooms off. She's wearing a baseball cap. I don't think this is her first time doing like she's prepped. She's prepped to be hid and then like committing a crime. So but we still have to figure out if the white van is connected or separate. So now we show Katie the footage of like do you know this woman? And she's like, I know. You think I'm a bad mother, but there's nobody in my daughter's life that I do not know about. And Benson goes, no, you're misunderstanding me. And in this moment, it's a knock knock, and we get you know, the girls in Velasko and they have news. The car was found near an overpass on Riverside Drive. There's ominous music, it's burnt. It's burnt. The sanitation guy called it. In Benson's like, okay, so the people who set this car and fired didn't just walk away. We need all the security footage, and so now we have to pop the trunk and hopefully there's nobody and we're in the clear. There's no crispbody in there, so whoever took the car knows the cops are looking for them.
Speaker 4: So the question is what did they do with Haley.
Speaker 2: We're back in the office and it's like a lot of speedy it's speedy walking and talking like there's a lot to do because they have nothing, you know. So the forends of Karage is being checked out, Terry is still working. They're like they're nowhere, and Silva's just standing at the office and Benson is like, what would you just speak and she goes, okay, well, I just think it's fucked. We haven't been able to reach the father. You know, nothing from the UNI, outside is building or anywhere. And Benson goes, okay, go knock on the neighbor's doors and get information. And Benson's looking at the little girl's photo like fuck, this sucks. So now we're in We're in a hip part of Brooklyn. I would say this girl's cute. I kind of have a crush on her messy curly bun and they're talking like whatever, she's a hip, cool Brooklyn girl. There's paint every like canvases everywhere, and she's shocked to hear his daughter's gone. She hasn't talked to him in a while though. I bet they're kind of friends that like once in a while will smoke weed.
Speaker 1: Maybe they fucked like they're just like artsy, he's musician at her.
Speaker 4: What did you get about their vibe? Do you think they were dating?
Speaker 2: Like, did you like I was just like I wonder because they really knew each other, but not neighborly, like did they say hot like a part of yeah, like I bet they've done drugs or.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or like neighborly hook up benefits sort of the situation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I got I can see that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But the last time she saw him was yesterday morning, and she did see the band getting into a white van, but she and I don't get the vibe she's covering for him or anything like. So, but this sucks. So the white van, the baby daddy, we can't find him. So now Kurry and Velaska, they got the pole cam footage and the people from the Nissan they all go into the white van. So now there's a man, this woman and Haley and they all go into the white van. So it is connected to the crime. And we see, like in the cam footage the car burning in the background.
Speaker 4: And I love attention to detail.
Speaker 2: So they did find a bottle of nail polish remover where at like the garage, and it's like, so everything burnt but the nail polish bottle, Okay, but they're gonna see if they can get some prints on the bottle. So now we're back with the mom, Benson and Rollins, and they're showing the video of people going into the white van. She does not know these people. But also, where is baby daddy? What the fuck? So let's call him again again voicemail again leaving a message. So now Benson and Rollins are in the break room and guess what. Intelligence got nothing, but they got the federal government on it as well, and so it's kind of weird with the federal government, like you want them to have information, but you don't want her to be on the World Wide Web in like any fucked up way.
Speaker 4: So it's tough.
Speaker 2: So Curry runs in to interrupt him and goes, hey, the dad just showed up. He was at a recording session, so the cops on his block brought him in. He's like, what is happening. I don't get what's happening. The music is heightening and the women are slowly walking towards him asking questions. But he was there all night at this recording session is for a weight loss drug. I feel like this is a nod to ozembic. It is season twenty six, you know, very current current.
Speaker 1: I really don't know if there's an all night session for writing a pharmaceutical jingle that will not allow phones like that just feels yeah, there must be a union, right, yeah, Okay, they got to take a nap, but and the band all got in a van to travel together to the recording session to do.
Speaker 4: The ozembic com It's.
Speaker 1: Whatever, keep going so many weird details in this episode.
Speaker 2: He says he got the messages when he left the studio, but when he tried to call her back, it went straight to voicemail, which does seem weird, Like they would have.
Speaker 4: Lent her a phone charger at the police station.
Speaker 1: I think, like I don't, or maybe she went home, but that that just seems that's I guess if we're like digging with their holes, I'll find that one.
Speaker 4: So, mister Reid, do you know where your daughter is?
Speaker 2: Benson finally asks him she is missing, and he starts freaking out. He's having a hard time breathing. I don't think he did it, and Benson is trying to get info from him, like who would take her?
Speaker 4: Do you know any pedophiles?
Speaker 2: And he's like, listen, I'm not a great dad, but I would never hang out with someone that would hurt Haley or take her and the alibi is confirmed. He was at an all night recording session. The sun is out and Creasy's at the office. Hello, and we find out that this baby daddy's a secret trust fund kid. And I think that's why the custody's so chill, But why is them? No, Actually, I take it back, so he's seecret trust fund. In my head, I'm like, I think the custody's fine, and she doesn't care that they're not hanging out because he gives her money because he's wealthy. But now I'm like, wait, she's poor and can't afford childcare. Ann, he's a trust fund kid.
Speaker 1: Annie doesn't take care of the Is he not paying his child support? Do we have to stick that girl from Instagram on him? That my child support bustie? Like, you know, I was like, not a trust fund kid in a pharmaceutical band not paying for his kid?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Damn your kid is sick and you can't help pay for a babysitterer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's how trust fund kids are, you know. It's like, well, I only get this much a month, so I got to really be cheap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got to put it on my credit card.
Speaker 4: My parents pay that.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I do you remember? I think I told a story.
Speaker 2: I know I told it on the podcast, and I told you how there's someone that we know in LA who's a trust fund kid and he'll like put his credit card gets paid for by his parents, so he'll pay for the dinner, and then of his friend's venmo him and that's the money he uses for rent, and like he's swindling people.
Speaker 4: You remember who I was, You know what you're talking about. That's why I was referencing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, oh okay, yeah, So guess what. I was hanging out with one of his friends and I mentioned him and this other and he goes, oh yeah, for some reason, me and our other friend, whenever our girlfriends are around, they say not to invite him. Really, I go really, He goes, yeah, anytime we have girlfriends.
Speaker 4: And I was like, please don't invite him.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, damn, if both of your girlfriends or women that you hang out with are always saying don't invite him, like, yeah, stop hanging out with.
Speaker 1: Him, right, take the hint? Interesting, interesting, one thing? Everything?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 2: So this is a deadbeat and I actually want to beat the shit out of him. Give your fucking baby money.
Speaker 4: Whatever.
Speaker 2: So because of the trust fund, they're like, wait, can this be a ransom situation? But now Rollin's phone dans uh oh, the image has been found online, but it's not porn, it's something else.
Speaker 4: And then they have like.
Speaker 2: Old people talk to prove that they know technology, like she goes, can you mirror this? And then Corry goes, send me the link and I just think it's like fake. It's like so silly. So this poor girl, an amazing actress, she's crying. Someone is brushing her hair and it's really hurting her and she's screaming, and we hear this bitch's voice off screen going I know all you bad boys like to watch, and it's like, ugh, what's going on?
Speaker 4: And there's a shot collar.
Speaker 2: The electrodes are clicking and she puts it around her neck. She's also calling the girl Missy and she goes, no, I'm Haley, and she screams, hey, it's too tight, but it's on, and she just starts electrifying this young girl. As she's screaming. Crisy's like, uh, what are we looking at? And it's torture and control. And then Rollins is the new bd Wong and goes, it's delegated sadism orchestrating violence, her torture, but not because viewers want to be a part of it. They just want to watch suffering. And then also these freaks like the money they're spending on watching it is not only power over the victim but the aggressor too, And so it's like just all this fucking power stuff. I mean, men really have to let go of their need for power. Like everything bad in the world is ego in power from men. Yep, you need to feel powerful. So a girl has to get kidnapped and shot collared in a base, Like what are we doing here?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Fucked. I just don't understand.
Speaker 2: There are a dozen or so of these sites. You know, Rollin's is explaining everything, and one is called Missy Mayhem. But Velaska's like, wait, hold up, If Nick Nick knows about these sites, why don't they just shut them down? And Rollins goes, well, they're mostly like all set up in Southeast Asia, but this one is different. We're gonna find her and through some sort of information I don't know, she's in the Tri State area. Basically, we find out through some signals that she's within two hours away from the city.
Speaker 1: They show the mom the video. I don't know if I whatever.
Speaker 2: The mom's not thrilled, obviously, but we're happy that she's alive. And in my head, it's like and the mom goes, oh, fuck, is this child porn? And they go no, but like what is it? And yeah, is this good or bad news? It's like so fucked, Like it's really fucked. And they're like, listen, there's a woman involved, and we're going to play you the audio just in case you know her. And she does not recognize the voice. And so now we're at TARU because like it's crazy because of one little VPN. We don't know who's hosting it. Like I think VPNs should be illegal.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm against them now just because this one episode. Yeah, I don't think you should be able to VPN and then do child torture on the internet.
Speaker 1: We've been telling people to watch the show on VPN for like one hundreds of episodes.
Speaker 4: Well, because I didn't think about them.
Speaker 1: My brain doesn't go to this, but yeah, I know it's yeah, but listen to this.
Speaker 2: So they don't know who's hosting, but they have a few hundred subscribers. That's not a lot. To do this for two three hundred people. I don't get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, unless it's like they're paying really hard high premiums because it's so fucked up.
Speaker 4: I don't know how much do you think.
Speaker 1: They're like hundred dollars a month and then you're getting twenty that's twenty thousand, right, if you had two hundred times No, that's two thousand.
Speaker 4: I don't know. That's not enough.
Speaker 1: Not to do this, not to do this, right, that's two thousand dollars a month. Like if it's two hundred people, it's three thousand dollars. It's three hundred people.
Speaker 2: I mean, I always would tell anyone that wants to be like successful on the internet, like get over and just try, Like one hundred people is more than nobody, Like keep at it. But not for the no, no, not for torture. If you're doing torture, wait till you have more subscribers. Like I'm sorry, this is so fucked And it's been going on for two years, Jesus, but two years, so what? But they just got this girl, so what's going on? And all the other videos have been deleted it's just this one video is now put up. But they have a list of a couple dozen subscribers that don't use a VPN, So let's go get these motherfuckers. They drag a guy in and he's denying it, and he's like, am I in trouble?
Speaker 4: And it's like, yeah, I don't know what to tell you.
Speaker 2: I don't know why you would think you weren't in trouble for watching a child get electrocuted, Like, I don't understand these people. So and the girl is kidnapped and he goes, well, I just like watching and he and then and he goes, I just thought she was acting, and Curry gets in his face. You paid money to watch a little girl get tortured. That's facilitating an assault, a felony, and child in danger.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: Now there's another guy and he's like, oh, yeah, no, I only looked for a few seconds. It was an accident. And they're like, we have proof you use your credit card multiple times, and so he makes up Yeah, he makes a face like a puppy that's been caught, like I don't know, shitting in a shoe like me. And then we go to another guy. You know, it's like a parade of perverts. And so he's like, well, no, no, no. When I found out it was a kid and not an adult, I wouldn't do this, you know, I can't be a pedophile. I'm a dentist for children. And Silva's face is really like really bitch. So but of course he's a child dentist. He's probably getting hard torturing these kids.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like yeah, I bet he's hurting them on purpose. And trust me, the sb will make sure you're not a dentist anymore. So now there's another dude. It's just like a montage of the worst men. And this guy's name is mister Kaufman, and he goes, oh, another it's an accident. But they have evidence that he's been a subscriber to the site for two years, and he goes, yeah, but that's not Missy Mayhem. He's like, I like the original one better. It was the only girl on the site and now it's all deleted. But he doesn't know why. So they asked him to tell the scoop listen, she was a little older, but I screen recorded some of the videos. And then he goes, please don't tell them. I could get kicked off the site, you're going to jail, and then you're gonna be on a registry and you're not going to be able to go on the internet. So I don't really I just don't understand anybody. Yeah, you're done being a dentist, You're done being a freeman.
Speaker 4: Like, what is up with these guys?
Speaker 2: They really don't think they've done anything wrong. Yeah, Okay, So now we're watching the footage of the other girl and she looks weathered. Okay, this seems like long time tortures just written on her face. And she's acting like a trained dog. And there's clicker training, which I learned just from this episode, and I guess clicker training like teaches dog's obedience. And we hear the same woman's voice. But this girl is not anywhere else on the internet, according to Nick Mick, and nobody ever reported her missing. But all the videos are similar. They're degrading, like one time they put a cone on her neck, and like you know, obviously the shot collar of it all. And they're playing in the audio and Benson catches something and there's dogs barking in the background, but tons of dogs and this is all like dog training things. So it's like, holy shit, there's so many dog readers upstate. We got to figure this out. And now, unfortunately a new video dropped of Haley and so it's really bad and she's like sleeping in a dog bed, which does seem comfortable if I'm being honest. They're actually trying to invent like adult dog beds for like naps right now, because I think we're all just like I don't know, just like the fascism and pandemic back to back, Like I think we just want to curl up but not forced.
Speaker 4: This is scary. I don't like it.
Speaker 2: Benson is watching and just grabbing her chest like she is so scared. The girl is so scared, Like I just love after all these I mean, obviously Maurshia is such a great actress, but like that Bet like, I don't know, this scene was just really powerful to me of her still being so distraught for all these kids, not desensitized at all, and the girl is like trying to fight back, but like she can't, she's.
Speaker 4: Gonna get shot collared.
Speaker 2: So they go to this dog technology guy and they like figure out the breed and they isolate the barking and they remove all the noises and they actually have a bark eyed program, so no promises, but it's for sure a guard dog. So they bring the mom back in and she's obviously thinking, like, good news, you found my daughter, but it's like, no, actually, can you tell us if you ever know if you have ever interacted with a large dog? She's like what, and they'rely, has anyone with a large dog approached you?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: Do you know someone with a big dog?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Were you looking to buy a dog? She's like, why are you asking me about these dogs? And they tell her there's another video but with a different girl, and they explain the dog situation, but she's saying no to all of these things, and like she starts being scared and confused in the office obviously, and so it's all hands on deck and they know that it could be three dog breeds Rottweiler's, Doberman's, and a cane Corsos.
Speaker 4: It's not spelled how it's pronounced.
Speaker 2: Still tell you that much, Okay, So it's a shortlist of readers upstate that have these types of dogs. So Curry, Silva and Velasco are there, and they go to Victoria Gray and this dog breeder does recognize her. The other girl her husband's dead and she's not connected to the crime, and I kind of like her vibe. But why are they there.
Speaker 1: Like we get this whole thing, Like nothing comes out of talking to that woman. Well, because of the chase, they got to go to all the house, sure, but that's usually like with a voice over. It's like they did a whole setup and they hired this woman. She's not even part of it.
Speaker 4: Like, it makes no sense to me, but I liked her so much.
Speaker 1: Okay, she definitely has Upstate Martha Stewart dog bringing, yes, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Okay. So then another man saw the story online, who they ask but he hasn't seen her or Misty, and there's like no wedding ring. And then I can't believe this came up. But Curry's like, no wedding ring and he hides his hand. He goes, I'm not married, and they're like, well, is there a woman here? An employee, a business partner, And he goes, I'm dating a guy. What the fuck? And this isn't a gay bash. They're just looking for a woman. Obviously there's a woman voice. So they go to another man and it's a couple and they haven't seen the girl, but the other girl does seem familiar, and the guy walks off. He goes, I don't no, and they keep pushing because the woman does like keep looking at this photo and they go, well, do you ever meet people at like dog shows other breeders? And they go, yeah, for sure. And then the woman is like, wait, Gary, she looks like the Carwoods, little girl, don't you think? And they ask, like, who are the Carwoods? And so she says that they're Rottweiler breeders and they live in Ellenville and they've crossed paths and they met the daughter at a show last year, but they only saw her once, but she swears it was her and they called her Ashland. And so now we're on our way to Ellenville, and fuck, this couple has like hundreds of acres and half a dozen registered guns, so they really have to be careful with this one. And so Silva gets word that Ellenville has a record of an Ashland Carwood being born in twenty thirteen to a Nicole and Dennis. So Curry decides like, let's get there. Let's get Ellenville PD and state troopers to meet us. There like, we have two young girls in danger and there's no time to waste. So the house is surrounded. Benson and Rollin's, wow, you guys made it up there fast. And they're like, are you sure it's their daughter, and Silva says yes, but she's not registered to any of the local schools and Benson goes, well, she could be homeschooled, and one of the reasons I'm against homeschooling.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: So then a bunch of dogs are out back and it's a tiny, tiny, little white house in the front. For all those acres, you'd think they'd build a bigger home, like build an extension. Maybe there's like more cabins throughout the property or something, or I don't.
Speaker 4: Know what I'm talking about. Okay.
Speaker 2: So they're in the dark trees going into the Carwoods house. Rollin's, Curry and Benson are going to take the house, and then Velasko and Silver are going to go out back, and we see a blonde woman peer out the window and then we hear a gun shot, so they all run in and she's holding a gun under her chin. We see the man a shot and he's bleeding from his stomach. She's screaming, leave us alone, don't touch me, and Benson says, how about we all take a breath, and she cocks the gun. I mean this, bitch, like this scene is high octane, I would say, and just the timing of everything, the gun cock everything, and Benson goes, it's over, babe, and she screams, it's not over, leave me alone, and the dogs are barking loud, and Benson's asking her to drop the weapon, and after a heavy breathing and crying, she finally does the handcuff her and the man is still bleeding on the floor, and they go where is Haley And she makes her lips really small and tight like she's never gonna tell, and Curry runs in and says, we found something. Benson and Rollins walk past tons of cages and dogs and they find like the rainbow pink litter room and it's in those bar and it's so fucking gross, but there's no sign of the girl, and so they're searching and searching.
Speaker 4: They call in a canine unit.
Speaker 2: So there's all these people with flashlights and we're trying and that like we're trying to find somebody. So the dog stopped and Unfortunately, a man has to start shoveling and some kneels down and we see a little girl.
Speaker 4: We zoom in.
Speaker 2: She's like in pink, there's a unicorn and very very upsetting.
Speaker 4: Extremely shallow.
Speaker 1: This man took two digs right Like, it's really really very shallow, very deep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's daytime and we have a buzz cut hot CSU tech with sad news.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I was like and the hottest new babe in the villa or whatever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a new bombshell has entered villa.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I'm so disconnected from I don't want Yeah, you got it together though, so whatever, this this CSU Tech's hot, That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 4: But she does have sad news.
Speaker 2: Multiple spiral fractures, missing teeth, broken ribs, and the poor girl suffered a lot of abuse since she's probably twelve and then and also the CSU tech is like folly pierced, like full facial piercings everywhere. I'm like, wow, of modern time. Okay, back to disaster, back to sadness. It's their daughter, Missy Mayhem is their daughter. It's their biological daughter. They tortured and buried their daughter in a shallow grave near a bunch of dog cages.
Speaker 4: Disgusting. So she's in custody.
Speaker 2: Benson and Rollins roll in like they want to tear her from limb to limb, and Benson asks her where is Haley, And before she can say a word, Rollins leans down to get closer to her and says, you buried your own daughter in your backyard? Did you kill her? And she just goes, where's my husband? And they go in the hospital. Do you remember you shot him in the stomach? And she already has counsel. A lawyer comes in goes she doesn't have to talk, and Benson goes, well, she's being charged with kidnapping and murder, so maybe she should start helping herself out. And this woman has so much attitude, like loudly barks at her. I will decide what questions I answer. Not you, I don't understand. The lawyer goes, she doesn't have to talk. There's a dead body on your property, so what are you? What do you think the the deal is like crazy? They're not, well, I'll tell you that much.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So Benson's nostrils are like flaring. She hates her so much and Benson goes, the only question I care about is where is Haley? And this bitch is silent, and now we're in the hospital. The guy wakes up and the first thing he says is where's my wife? And Korean Velasco are there with his lawyer as well, so they got lawyered up so fast, and they say, listen, we got her, and you the first one that talks gets a deal. I don't know what to say, and the lawyer goes, ooh fun, what kind of deal and they go okay, yeah, no, first show us where Haley is.
Speaker 4: So they try to use the fact.
Speaker 2: That she shot him into getting him to talk, and he goes, well, no, that's been the plan all along. We said if the cops find us, we take ourselves out. But the plan didn't work. You're both still here and you're the only one shot.
Speaker 4: But okay.
Speaker 2: They tell him they found his daughter. Whose idea was that? And he goes, I didn't kill her. She was sick of being missy Mayhem. Her and Nicole had a fight about it, and Nicole said she pushed and that it was an accident, and they go, but you didn't call the police, and he goes well, we didn't want to get blamed for it. And they say that the emmy said that she was abused, and he goes, well, not buy me, and they go, no, you just like to watch little girls in pain, don't you.
Speaker 4: That's how the site started. Huh. He looks off.
Speaker 1: The lawyer goes like, I guess I don't want to be here.
Speaker 2: I think. The lawyers like, oh, another day at work. And then after this he was like, Okay, I need to get the fuck out of here. So now we're like, there's more talking, there's more talking, there's more blabbing. And she also has like a lot of roots like in her hair and I'm like, yeah, you dumb bitch, go get your hair highlighted. And she's saying that she like the site was his idea and he was into that stuff. But it's also like it doesn't actually matter whose idea it was. Yeah, like you're both going away. It's like, oh, but it was his idea. You truly tortured a child on camera. So Rollins says like, oh, what I'm getting at is like you just played into his stuff, right, And so she goes, listen, we were raising roddy them for a while. And then one day I shoved the dog's nose in a mess that he made, and Dennis got a boner, and so he liked to watch her discipline the dogs.
Speaker 1: And then dot dot your own child. She goes, yeah, things really changed when she came along. And Benson and Rollins are so disgusted with her, and they go, oh, so you started putting her face into the carpet until she died, and she says, well, we had to replace her.
Speaker 4: We make money off the site.
Speaker 2: And they asked how they chose Haley and she says that Haley waved to them and they were at a stoplight and that Dennis took that as a sign, don't wave to anyone. My god, So the kidnapping was his idea as well. And the lawyers like, hey, where is this going? And Benson goes, listen, you know exactly how this is going. There's only one deal. She looks crazed. This actress is incredible. I've really never been this scared of. So well, I guess Charisma. Charisma was pretty scary in terms of and Pablo William lewis, Yeah, she might be the scariest woman.
Speaker 4: Woman on top, top scary woman. Yeah, yeah, I would say so.
Speaker 2: So basically, Benson's kind of taunting her a little bit, you know, just like, oh so you don't like to watch though you like to be in control. Well guess what you're not gonna like jail if you like control. But again, you're both going away for a long time. There's no deals, like we just want the girls alive, Like, come on, let's go. She purses her lips again, and now we are in an Ellenville cold storage? Is this another one of your plot holes? Or now yes, same me too. How did you know to put her in cold storage? How did you know the cops were coming?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 4: Why is she in cold storage?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 4: How long has she been there?
Speaker 2: Like do you think she's always there and they take her out once in a while or she got punished or like they keep her there overnight, Like I don't know why they hit It.
Speaker 1: Doesn't make sense that she wasn't just in like a fucking set and the room that was hidden in the fucking place.
Speaker 2: Yeah you know, yeah, this was one that I go, why is she in the freezer story?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Why is she at some freezer place? Like that could also kill her at any point? You guys want to like just keep having a kidnapped girls, Like, why are you trying to freeze this girl to death?
Speaker 4: Like it just makes no sense now.
Speaker 2: And what are those like those kind of like plastic thick curtain like curtain beat things.
Speaker 4: I like those.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're like grocery stores. I really like they're like for walking freezers and stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I like it.
Speaker 2: She leaps into Velasko's arms, crying, sweet actress.
Speaker 4: I mean she's she really leaped.
Speaker 2: Silva's there to blanket her, and they tell her it's okay.
Speaker 4: So now we're in court.
Speaker 2: She's pleading not guilty for kidnapping, and Creasy's obviously wants to amand two million dollar bail.
Speaker 4: The judge agrees, get her out of our sight.
Speaker 2: So but the lawyer's like a little annoyed, like, hey, my client acted on her word and you guys got Haley safe.
Speaker 1: And unharmed, unharmed. Fuck off, are you kidding? Hugh? So Cristy goes, I don't care. Please get her out of here so she can pay her bail and then we can talk. I'm not talking about anything right now. So while they're taking her away, they're roll like they're wheeling. The husband in.
Speaker 2: He's injured, he can't walk, and he goes, baby, why won't you look at me?
Speaker 4: I love you?
Speaker 2: Please, And she's taken away without another glance at this man, and then the judge tells him to shut up, and Carisey wants the same thing, two million dollars, like put him in jail. So now Cariese's talking to the woman and the lawyer in the room and he unbuttons one button as he walks in, and he says, listen, your man said not guilty as well. You want to talk, then talk, bitch. I don't have time. And they're in a room that's wild, marble room, woodblinds and cement bars on the window. Okay, so she says for a loop, Yeah, she says, what will happen to her dogs? Cariesy is flabbergasted. Not your husband, not your dead daughter, just the dogs. She says, well, I need to make sure my babies go to good homes. He says that, I mean that's the thing, like why did they have kids? Like what the like?
Speaker 4: Dad, you clearly don't want kids, right.
Speaker 2: He says that animal control has them and he is sure they are being taken care of, and her lawyer goes, Okay, back to my client, please. So they want to keep doing this deal and everything, but all the other chargers are in a different county. He only has the kidnapping charge, so he goes, i'll give her twenty five years. The lawyer goes, that's hardly a deal. I'd rather risk court. And Christy goes, oh, you probably haven't heard about the federal charges of producing and distributing illegal content and human trafficking. And she says that was all Dennis. I had nothing to do with that, and they're like, you're on the videos. So the lawyer tries to tell her to shut up. Parsey goes, well, I don't think the feds are going to agree that, like she had nothing to do with it, she's on Tapechrisey goes, you did cooperate and we found Haley alive. I'd be willing to talk to the feds. And so the lawyer goes, we'll plead guilty to kidnapping if you drop the federal charges.
Speaker 4: Done, and he gets up to leave.
Speaker 2: She goes, hey, what about the other charge, just like a manslaughter I didn't kill my daughter. He goes, I already told you. I don't work in Ulster County. So now Benson and Rollins go to the hospital and the mom comes out of her daughter's room and is like, oh my God, thank you. There's not any lasting injuries. She's gonna be just fine. Great to hear, great to hear, Maybe a little therapy, hopefully the dad will put some trust fund Monday in the therapy Jesus and some child care. How about that, you dead beat? And she wants a fresh start. Her parents retired in Vermont, so they're gonna go live up there, so that's really exciting and they think and the detectives think it's a great idea. She thinks the detectives and goes back to her daughter. So now Dennis and Nicole both made deals. They both pled guilty for kidnapping in Manhattan and assault and kidnapping in Ulster County, and they're both gonna be serving twenty five to life. So I guess what's the deal that it's not a federal prison or death penalty.
Speaker 4: Yeah, do you.
Speaker 2: Get but you don't get death penalty for oh the child was Yeah, okay, I guess they could have gotten the death penalty.
Speaker 1: I don't know why they would it's to New York, see though, and why would it have been, Oh, it's the federal is because of the child like abuse being across like international lines or whatever. But like New York's no death penalty, so federally, yeah, you're right, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they're still hammering out the details, crazy says, But twenty five to Life Benson sized some relief, and they also rounded up all the subscribers and they're all going to get serious time too good. And that is something, but it doesn't answer her question how does a parent do that to their own kid? And Rollin's is like, Babe, you've been working this job longer than I have and you still don't know.
Speaker 4: And they don't.
Speaker 2: But they go home and it's mom kid Dinner, Pizza Day, the girls and Noah and they all cheers and their pizza like with their pizza slices, and they're eating at acute restaurant and it's like a very nice way to end such a bad episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a nice little palate cleanser. Though, if I was at a restaurant where a family was cheersing their slices, I'd be like like, relax, you know, oh that's.
Speaker 2: But I do like cheers and kids with things that they could cheers with. But yeah, that's dick wolf baby, and uh, I just want to hear about the crime.
Speaker 4: I just well listen.
Speaker 1: I just think this episode is so weird, and I'm like really happy that this current showrunner is leaving, Like, like, walk me through how this works. Like you tortured your daughter because it gave your husband a boner, and then you started an online website showing the abuse to give other men boners and make kind of a little bit of money. And then when you kill her, which you deny doing. I guess you said it's an accident and no one found out. You go into the city, you wave at a little girl, you follow her. She happens to have like all of the none of it like makes really any sense to me. And then what are you doing with the money raising dogs on a farm? I'm confused, Like none of the motivation is clear of why you would do this, Like I it makes more sense to me, even though it's like horrific to be like she was misbehaving and I was punishing her, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Like when people do that.
Speaker 1: It's like, Okay, you're psychotic, but at least I like understand like her motivation for like not liking her daughter and like torturing her to death doesn't make any sense to me, and like exploiting her like I didn't.
Speaker 2: Show it because she's a dog person. I don't think she should have had kids. But I also wonder if it's like you know, in Mormonism, Heather from Salt Lake talks about it, where like you can get into heaven without kids, but you can't get into the Mormon heaven without a husband. And it's like that's like a patriarchal, like authoritative way to make you put men above everyone. So when a man mlsts your kids or wants to marry a teen or whatever, you will allow.
Speaker 1: You're more likely to allow it because that's your ticket to heaven. And I would have loved to have seen a religious tie in or something.
Speaker 4: But not more.
Speaker 2: I'm just using Mormonism as an example, but there is this thing of like my man, people picking their man over their child everything. Yeah, you know, so like I wonder if it's that kind of situation where it's like she likes being liked by this guy and like his set actual needs are above everything else, but like she must get off on it, she must hate this child, she must have been abuse, Like right, you're right, there must have been more to it, because it's like like, so you've hired a sex worker and like degraded her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I don't know, do it? Or we've seen this all before. I mean, we've seen stuff like this on this show. But it's like it just feels like the dots are not connected in this episode.
Speaker 4: You know, I honestly didn't know.
Speaker 1: I really didn't see the dots until I read it out loud. I am like, I'm so scared of this episode. I didn't even catch how few subscribers they had until you said. And then I'm like that makes even less sense, Like what's the motivation here if you're getting it, if this is going out to thousands and thousands, like we always are getting these episodes where it's like, oh my god, look how many subscribers they have. It's ten thousand people are watching that, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like cause same theory, and they're like, let's say they're making less than ten grand, which doesn't seem worth like the torture and murder of a child, but they also have hundreds of acres, so they're not poor. Yeah, it's not one to five acres, they said, hundreds of acres.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, sell your land if you need money. I don't have more acres than subscribers. Yeah, oh my god, all right, well let's.
Speaker 4: Get your land.
Speaker 2: It's all about this dude getting his bone. And then my thing is, like does he come jerking or do they fuck after?
Speaker 4: Like you know, yeah, and like how did it?
Speaker 1: I don't know, I guess they just like how did you know that it would go from her doing it to the dogs to doing it to a kid like that immediately was a good thing that he liked to do, Like and you were okay with that, Like, but you're right, the man over everything else. I guess that's whatever. But this is fucked. But let's talk about the true crime. Sadly, I did look this up, and there is a very recent case in New Jersey. Right as they were basically shooting this episode, probably there was a case in New Jersey involving a child in Cape May, New Jersey, showed up to school with marks on their body. They don't even reveal, like the gender of this child. The child's identity is completely secret. In all the press about it. The marks were caused by a shot caller. On March seventeenth, twenty twenty five. The police directed thirty year old Kimberly Cruz Feliciano and her fifty nine year old mother, the child's grandmother, Sonya Feliciano, and the mom apparently threatened the child with more violence if they told anyone. The electric shot collar was from the family's dog, who had passed away, and then according to WPVII, the ABC affiliate in Philadelphia Slash New Jersey, the child was forced to wear the collar at all times when at home, and their mother would use it when they didn't listen or made the mother mad, so they were arrested. Cruise Feliciano was charged with two counts of second degree aggravated assault, two counts of endangering the welfare of a child, one counter first degree witness tampering with threat of force, and one count of third degree hindering. Her mother, Feliciano was charged with fourth degree hindering and fourth degree tampering with evidence, and she was released on a summons. The mother, I looked her up, is still is being held without bail. I got her on the inmate look up and it looks like no hearings have been set yet, so she's just like in jail waiting a court date with no bail. So sadly they obviously took that case as like a way to incorporate like the Shock Caller, because that is shocking, literally, And I know SVU has been on for five hundred plus episodes and they have to keep coming up with new stuff, but that's, you know, pretty horrific, but another case, so like this episode is also allegedly based on like YouTubers who abuse their children and like the rise of that happening, and like when it comes to comparing the story to like abuse of YouTubers like Ruby Frankie and Jody Hildebrant, like that case, which I'm sure many people have heard of, I do think the sv is going to do a Ruby Frankie episode, but I don't think this one is it. Like Ruby Frankie got her following from being a family blogger, started her channel in twenty fifteen, and it was all about life with her husband and six kids, and it wasn't until twenty twenty that people started to be like, the way you're disciplining the kids is like kind of fucked up, and then her channel lost popularity, then it was suspended, and then she went kind of nuts and teamed up with this woman Jody, and that's when like the abuse intensified, I think, and she was eventually arrested and convicted and she was absolutely abusing her children. But I don't think people were tuning in for the abuse like in this episode, you know what I mean. So that's why I don't think it's like totally related, because when people found out about what Ruby Frankie was doing, I think she lost a lot of her popularity. So I hope SVU does do something about YouTube families and like child exploitation through vlogging and stuff, but I bet they will this coming season or something. But I don't think this is closely related enough to do it. But I did come across the story of a different you To family that I felt like clicked in a little bit more and I just thought it was interesting and I hadn't really heard of it, so I thought I would research this and talk about this also. So this is the case of Michael and Heather Martin aka Family O five. So Michael and Heather Martin started a YouTube channel in twenty fifteen, which is the same time Ruby Frankie started hers, which seems like it was like kind of the golden age of like awful family vlogs, like where they started to pick up steam in the culture. Right. The channel was called Family O five. I think it was actually originally called Daddy O five and it was Michael's channel, and Heather her own channel was called Mommy O five. Later they briefly changed it to Family O five, but then it went away. But Michael and Heather met like Brady Bunch style. He had two kids from a previous marriage, a previous relationship, excuse me. He had a son named Cody and a daughter named Emma, and Heather had three sons named Jake, Ryan, and Alex. Okay, when they started the channel, they wrote on they're about page which by the way, there are channels down I had to go on the way back machine to find this, but quote, this is my crazy life.
Speaker 4: We always thought our lives would make an awesome.
Speaker 1: Movie, so we as a Capslock family, decided that's in the capslock those two words to make this YouTube channel just for fun.
Speaker 4: Thank you everyone for watching our channel. There.
Speaker 1: I want to reiterate that there is no grammar in that sentence at all. There are no commas or periods or anything. I'm just reading it as it comes. So by twenty seventeen, so they've been up and running for I don't know, eighteen months to a year. They've got about seven hundred and fifty thousand subscribers on YouTube wo so three quarters of a million people are tuning in, and it's It started out with a lot of typical family stuff, like the everyday shit that families do. But then their most popular videos were videos of them quote unquote pranking each other. And I know you don't really love pranks, right, Lisa.
Speaker 2: I like a prank here in there if the occasion or the moment presents itself for like, oh, wouldn't this be funny? I don't like constant prankers. Are people looking for pranks all the time. I think you're an untrustworthy person. But of course I like a little joke. But I think it's.
Speaker 1: Safe to say that this man also, if I think you saw his face, I think you would he would be on your top ten hit list.
Speaker 4: I think you would hate this man well because it's not this family. But I watched.
Speaker 2: There was like an HBO three or four part doc on like another family that ended up adopting a boy from Asia and then like he suddenly disappeared.
Speaker 4: Yeah, stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Like like you said, this isn't people aren't tuning in for the abuse, but it's ripe for it. Yes, exactly, And I'll get into that. Like so basically, ok, their most popular view No, I'm not gonna get into that one specifically, but just the type of logging that this is and like what it does. Like their most type of videos were popular videos were these prank videos which spoiler alert, they're not pranks, like they are mostly mentally and at times physically abusive moments that are being thrust upon these children. So sadly, the youngest child, Cody, ends up being on the receiving ends of a lot of these pranks, Like there's videos of them, just like gaslighting Cody, Like one of his siblings will accuse him of doing something that he did not do or like it didn't happen, and then they'll just keep accusing him and accusing him until he gets so upset and so upset and he's like a mess and he's just begging for them to get him off camera. He'll say, take the camera out of here, and they're like, you know, we have to vlog, and it's like sick.
Speaker 4: In another in other videos.
Speaker 2: A kid like that doesn't get that this is But I feel this way when I'm just on Instagram, like even if it's not a full vlogging family, I go, did.
Speaker 4: You make the kid cry at the puppy? Is this take you?
Speaker 1: Like? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, just kind of. I don't like not knowing what's real or not.
Speaker 1: And I behind it the abuse and the force they and the month I can't Yeah, yeah, the darkness we live in. So in other videos, the dad Michael is encouraging the kids to hit and punch Cody, but he also pushed them all to slap each other across the face, like really hard. In one video, Michael screams at Cody for spilling ink and the kid is like extremely upset, and then Heather reveals the prank. Part of it is that it's invisible ink, so it's like made to look like a stain but it's not real, and it's just like making him so upset and sat It's like different, I don't know, for some reason, it's like a little bit different to me of like we ate your Halloween candy and then you quickly tell them it was a joke, you know what I mean. Like, it's like they're allowing this kid to get worked up and worked up until he's so upset, red in the face, like crying, really really upset. In one video, there is one where the dad shoves cody like face first into a bookshelf, which did cause a bloody nose and you can see blood on the kid's pillow as he's like crying and the parents were like, no, that's paint, so whatever. I was only able to access the thumbnails of the page on the way back machine, Like the videos won't play because they're down on YouTube, but the thumbnails are there, and the ones with like one million views are called like kid breaks leg prank, kid gets knocked out, kid runs away from home, Like none of these Maybe this perverts.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's like that the people that are like putting their children in positions that they know who's looking, they see who is like the fact that it says kids leg break Like yeah, I mean, well, I'll tell you what I have to click on that I would never click on something.
Speaker 1: I know I know I would never, but at this point in time, family blogging is becoming very lucrative for some people. But unlike reality stars who have like a network to answer to, or they sometimes have agents and managers and stuff, these YouTubers are on their own at this time. Like maybe they join up with other YouTubers and create like multi channel networks, but there's not really the same oversight, And they have reps from YouTube who apparently do basically nothing, Like some of them would report things to their YouTube reps and go, I'm your rep, like I can't really help other I can't really deal with other people, like.
Speaker 4: I'm just helping you.
Speaker 1: So like YouTube was fully I think, complicit in a lot of this shit at the very beginning.
Speaker 4: They've gotten stricter.
Speaker 1: But but I guess they do kind of self police one another, these vloggers and family people. Because in April of twenty seventeen, after right as this family is kind of hitting the apex of their popularity, a YouTuber named Philip DeFranco posts this whole video where he shows like a super cut of a bunch of the Martin's family's worst moments, and he's like, this really seems to me, like abuse and not pranks. He's like, even if I believe this is paint, which I don't, I believe it's blood. I think you're making this kid upset. I think you pushed him into a thing, like you know. And after this expose video of DiFranco's goes up, the story really took off, and it spread off like it was in all these YouTube videos, but it was also on traditional media, like I think the BBC covered it, and the New York Posts and like all these other people.
Speaker 4: It like blows up.
Speaker 1: So YouTube responded by demonetizing their videos and only commented quote videos violating YouTube's community guidelines are removed from the platform end quote. So like they're not really responding. They're like, well, we won't pay you for them anymore, but they're still up. And then Michael claimed later that he's the one who chose to demonetize the videos. Sure, jam, So the family archived the channel and made a public apology video in which they said that most of their videos were scripted and that the kids were acting.
Speaker 4: Nobody believes this, Like nobody believes this.
Speaker 1: A CPS investigation apparently did happen in Maryland, but nothing really came of it. And then there's this whole other layer to this fucking story, which is that the mother of Michael's children, whose name is Rose Hall. She's the mother of Cody and Emma. She lives in North Carolina. She apparently had custody of the kids until twenty fourteen, when she claims that Michael and Heather forged paperwork to give them full custody and she just like lost her kids to these people.
Speaker 4: That's what she's aid.
Speaker 1: They obviously say, no, that's true, blah blah blah. But shortly after the story of the channel and the abuse blew up, Rose was given temporary custody of Emma and Cody, and an emergence after emergency custody hearing was held, so they did go back to their mom and they were taken away from the family like those parents lost custody. So New York Magazine published a big story about the Martin family as this was blowing up, and they spoke to a child psychologist and for as a consultant for the State of New York named Mark Abrams. And while he thought the behavior on the videos was like quote, careless and stupid, he wasn't sure it could legally be classified as abuse. Like he's like excess corporal punishment and excess physical violence is considered abuse. How do you define excess good luck? How much money do you have to spend on a lawyer? So it's like and this is also in twenty seventeen, so it's like eight years ago. I think people are more vigilant now about maybe like what is coming across as sketchy. The New York Magazine article also mentions this YouTube channel where these young girls ages eight to twelve play quote unquote bad babies. And these videos show them like quote making messes, throwing tantrums, being harshly scolded, acting out repeated body horrors, or being watched by aggling monsters while sleeping, and these routinely were getting hundreds of millions of u use a month. But the difference is these girls are clearly acting like these girls are acting like babies, like they're really acting, and the Martin kids do not seem like they're acting like this is their lives. And even if they were at that time, exploiting your kids on YouTube with their quote unquote acting was basically unregulated. I mean, they just recently made like legislation about like influencers, and I think only in Utah, Like I don't even know if it's everywhere. It's like just in Utah because that's where so many family vloggers are based. The Martin family made somewhere between two hundred thousand and three hund fifty thousand dollars a year.
Speaker 2: Well, No, Illinois was the first state where you'd have like the kids get their own money. Oh okay, and I think California, And that's why they all leave the states, Like that's why. That's how you know the parents are evil. As soon as these laws pop up, the parents leave and go to a different state.
Speaker 4: Fucked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like why people in Florida, Nevada don't want to pay taxes tex Like people like, right, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: You move to places like that should be a sign, Right, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: I didn't even know that the Martin family made somewhere between two hundred k and three hundred fifty KA a year on this channel. But none of that was being formally earned by the children, like what you're saying. So if the Martin kids ever said anything nice about their parents, it always seemed like financial reward. Was behind it, like they knew xboxes, tablets. All the shit that they were getting was coming from their vlogging. And the parents all claim they loved being Internet sensations, like they loved being big on the internet.
Speaker 4: They would loved watching the view counts go up on their videos.
Speaker 1: And it's like, yeah, just because they like something doesn't mean it's good for them. They probably like chocolate ice cream too, you shouldn't give it to them for three meals a day. In September of twenty seventeen, Michael and Heather were found guilty of child neglect after they both entered alfred please to misdemeanor counts of neglect of a minor. So we've talked about this, but an alfred please when you don't admit guilt, but you know that the prosecutors have enough to convict, so just a reminder. So they were both sentenced for five years for each count, but then the judge suspended the and they both got five years of supervised probation. The prosecutor introduced expert testimony from a psychologist.
Speaker 4: I don't know why give them less. I don't understand.
Speaker 1: I think they probably thought that their three kids were probably gonna have to go. They they seemed apologetic. It was their first defense. Like, the only offense that's like physical is the pushing into the shelf that I talked about, I think, which may have been they could argue it's an accident. I'm not saying any of this is right. I'm just saying how they would have argued it in like court. You know what I mean, you told the judge to do it. Yeah, I actually was representing the parents. No, But like, I don't think it's like at the time, Well, basically what happened was the prosecutor introduced expert testimony from a psychologist who said that both kids suffered emotional trauma from being in the videos, and the prosecul lator said, like, they never would have gotten this conviction if it wasn't for the expert testimony, a psychologist testifying to the trauma. So, but I do not understand why the sentence was suspended except I'm only thinking they were thinking, well, that puts three kids in foster care. And these people are apologetic and said that they like they were. Obviously they were ordered to stay away from these two other children. They were not allowed to have social media or be on any kind of social media with for any of the five, like the five year probation. So Heather Martin said later in a statement, we realized that we made some terrible parenting decisions. We wanted our kids to be happy, and we went about it the wrong way. Like they thought, oh, we're making money for them, we're buying them xboxes, We're doing this, and like, I just don't think that they at all were tuned into how fucking traumatic this was, especially for Cody.
Speaker 4: Why is it all on this little boy?
Speaker 1: Why is he the butt of every joke because he's a little list Like, that's crazy. I don't know. So I was trying to find out what's going on with these people. They obviously twenty seventeen, they stayed away from social media for five years. Twenty nineteen, Michael tried to become a SoundCloud wrapper named Mikey m Sadly, I found their website where they are continuing to blog and vlog. The website features heather sons, the three boys, who I think are now like eighteen, twenty one, and twenty four, and the couple now has a young son together named Mikey Junior, who I think is like seven or eight. At this point, I can't tell how old their website is. She has like a blog post up from twenty twenty three where she denies everything that's been spread about her them stealing the kids away with the flat fraudulent documents. I mean, it's like crazy. It's in like multiple fonts, like it's all long. It's very long. I couldn't read all of it. Their oldest son, Jake. I found his social media following. He goes by baby Don. I believe he's about twenty four. He goes by baby Don. He has thirty thousand followers on Instagram and eighty thousand on TikTok TikTok excuse me, and on TikTok he still makes some videos that feature his dad and like people will leave comments like oh I was a big Daddyo five fan or whatever, but like their channels and all that shit has gone.
Speaker 4: Now and the kid at Baby Dawn.
Speaker 1: He did go on Doctor Phil in twenty twenty four to tell his story, I guess, but I couldn't find it, and or maybe I could find it and I didn't want to hear it. But he also looks like he's trying to wrap the sun so.
Speaker 4: That's that.
Speaker 1: But I mean, this is the closest that I could see that comes to like abusing kids online for views for that specific reason, like, and these people claim to have not known that they were really doing that. So obviously it's a very big jump to shot collars sleeping in a dog bed, you know, being malnourished and all that stuff. Although some of that plays into the Ruby Frankie stuff, which will we'll cover that at someday.
Speaker 4: But I didn't think that this.
Speaker 2: I know, sometimes with current things happening, people will want to talk about Idaho or and I'm like, I'm not looking into it until there's an episode I go.
Speaker 1: I know, I'm about to do full on research. I gotta just wait.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, let it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But I did see a preview for the yogurt shop, like frozen yogurt murders for women. Four girls were like murdered in this yogurt shop, and there's gonna be a four part doc or something on HBO.
Speaker 4: I'm not heard of that at all, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: So I see the posts on Instagram and I'm getting info and then I always look at comments, and one of the comments was like ugh, another documentary with regurgitated information and nothing new and blah Blah'm like regurgitated.
Speaker 4: I've never I don't ever about.
Speaker 1: Of this like this anything like this is like the tenth Manson family doc you've seen come on, Like I get with John Bday, but like it's like, I've never heard of these murder but they obviously is like this history. I don't even know if it's solved, but it's like to be annoyed by this thing where it's like, well.
Speaker 4: You don't even know if there's going to be new information yet.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it was like maybe I don't know about it, so to me, I want all the information.
Speaker 4: Well I'm excited.
Speaker 1: Maybe they'll do a yogurt shop murder on his view too, because that is kind of the only way I'm finding out about new crime unless it's Karen Reid.
Speaker 4: I mean, maybe they'll do a Karen Reid. But then I are that's another one. I'm like Kringus.
Speaker 1: That's a lot that involves a lot of cop corruption. So they've got to like either move the corruption to a different industry or I don't know what they're gonna do.
Speaker 4: Now, there's always corrupt cops.
Speaker 2: Yes you are the heroes, so it's like they just have to like fa you know, it's a different jurisdiction of cops. We've had bad cops in Brooklyn and the Bronx and in different sharnits. Yeah, but there's something about Karen Reid.
Speaker 4: Karen Reid.
Speaker 1: All right, listen, let's get to our interview because it's a good one. Our guest today is an actor who you may have seen on FBI Most Wanted or in her recent one woman show that she's touring all around called How to Find a Husband in thirty seven years or longer. But you know her today for her terrifying turn as the evil Nicole Carr. Would please enjoy our convo with the delightful JJ Pile.
Speaker 4: Hello, Hi, Hi.
Speaker 2: You're like you so friendly with a high pitched voice. You are so scary in this episode.
Speaker 7: Oh my god, I know, I can't even recognize myself when I watch that.
Speaker 2: I know it's acting, but I am put at ease and comfort now that I see your full energy.
Speaker 6: Yes, good, it's it's completely the opposite of me.
Speaker 4: It is like, it is such a dark episode. But I know because we watched you.
Speaker 2: All, but this news, this one was definitely one of the crazier ones of the New era. I would say, Okay, it really made me upset. I think it's because you see the little girl get shocked or something.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I really bad day with Harry. That day of shooting was like crazy, a little crazy.
Speaker 4: Well tell us about it, yeah, tell it well, tell us.
Speaker 1: Okay, will you start with like the beginning of like You, because you've told us that you had auditioned for us for You a bunch of times.
Speaker 7: Right, Yes, I've been auditioning for SVU for fifteen years.
Speaker 4: Oh my god happened?
Speaker 6: Oh my god.
Speaker 7: So I the first one I went in for I had just moved to New York. And I mean I'd been here about a year and I had come from La. So in La you can knot get an audition without an agent. And as for You, I I was getting the breakdowns illegally, like back then you could pay somebody twenty bucks a month and you could get the breakdowns. So I would go through the breakdowns and I would mail my headshot to as for You, like in that envelope that had like a clear, clear front that they used to have. And then I realized I'm not getting it there fast enough. So I would trek over there to Chelsea Piers and there was a little box outside the door you could put your headshot in. So my first call, I got a pre read with Jonathan Strauss. And this was before they even put you on camera. That's how long I've been auditioning for this show. So he didn't put me on camera, and I probably did some weird actor acting class you know, relaxation, uh, you know, kind of like like voiced up, and then he was like, okay, don't do that, and he was like, take your hair down and take a breath and take your time. And then they called me back to to be put on camera with Phil Huffman. So that was the first one and I didn't go any further. And that was for a one legged prostitute. We sold me her leg, Yeah, who sold her leg for drugs?
Speaker 6: That is an amazing first one.
Speaker 7: I have watched that one though, so then I think the second or third one. I tried to go back and look them all up for you guys so I could remember all the care.
Speaker 1: We're so honored, thank you for the pre work, so much work.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I had the idea that someday I would do like a solo show with all of my SVU audition characters doing a scene together.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a funny idea.
Speaker 7: So then the next one was like, actually a story I think from Indiana and I'm from Indiana where it was a guy who kidnapped all these women. There were like three or four of them, and then he had actually kept them for like ten years. Oh yeah, yeah, and it was at Ohio, okay good, and he had a baby with one of them. So I got called back for the least part, the least co star part, and they gave me like the story bits. They gave me like a speech impediment tape that they wanted me to try to you know, they gave me a lot of information. Now they don't give you that much information. And so I went in for that co star and then they called me back for the guest star with the part of the bigger girl who had the baby with the guy. So that was my biggest like and that was you go to prereads, you go to camera, you go to producers twice like that was my.
Speaker 4: Oh you got so close.
Speaker 6: I got so close.
Speaker 7: And he even sent me a they'll even sent me an email saying it's not going your way this time.
Speaker 6: But you impressed our producers. So that was like two or three.
Speaker 7: And then like I don't know, twenty characters later and here I am.
Speaker 1: And then God blessed the broken road that brought you to Nicole car Wood.
Speaker 4: That's what. Because you nailed it. You nailed it.
Speaker 6: Fake you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: There's one moment where you kind of like purse your lips and look at Careesy or someone asking you questions, and I was like, oh my god, I like rewound it.
Speaker 4: It was so good.
Speaker 7: The thing was too, is that like I had never had scenes with all the leads like I had the auditions had been with like you know, I had a scene one time in a laundry room with with rawlins and but and one was like an undercover cop eating out of a trash can and that was really that was really fun to tape, you know. And one was like uh, long Island mom who was like had these long fake nails and she was scratching her lottery tickets with her nails.
Speaker 6: Like there was some really fun ones.
Speaker 7: But I had never had an audition with all the leads, and then I do I do think the fifteen years got me to the best one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because to like talk shit to Maura, you had to talk shit to Benson and be like I decide or whatever, Like you know, I love how unhinged your character is, like she's been caught doing the most psychotic thing and then she comes in and.
Speaker 4: Acts like why is everybody bothering me?
Speaker 6: Like you know, I just like I know.
Speaker 2: Like the control of it too, And how quickly your character turns on her husband just like he doesn't even exist, but you were willing to like kill your child for it.
Speaker 7: And Skyler was great, Like we hung out the whole time, the guy who played my husband, but we never had any scenes together except.
Speaker 6: For just like they interrogate you totally separately and everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean we had the like kidnapping the girl day like in the van and stuff, but we never we never talked to each other in a scene.
Speaker 2: No, but you shot him because that's actually where we meet your character is you have a gun under your chin?
Speaker 7: Yes, And I will tell you about that scene, please, Okay. So in the script, so this is the first day I had met Marishka and all the stars I hadn't had a scene with him yet so well, and in the script it said there was no dialogue. It said eye contact, eye contact, she has a gun to her head. It's an intense standoff NYPD, and so there was no dialogue. So I hadn't prepared or like worked on anything. And I'm like, you know, I'm in the Strasburg cult. So my teacher would get mad for me me saying that. But I'm in the Strasburg people, and I need to work on things before I do them.
Speaker 6: But I don't really I just am in my head, you know.
Speaker 7: So I hadn't really prepared or worked on this, and he's like.
Speaker 6: The director, Norberto was great.
Speaker 7: He was like, j J, just throw out some lines here and I'm like, what, what what do you mean? Like you want me to improv a murder suicide? I don't know what to say. And he was like, I don't know, just say leave me alone, get.
Speaker 4: Out of here.
Speaker 6: And I'm like, what say that in this situation?
Speaker 7: And then they do a take and she comes in NYBB, they bust in. So I feel like, they make you do a take so they see what they're working with. So we did the whole thing and it was definitely not to the level it needed to be. And then he's like cut and she's like, Hi, I'm Marishika.
Speaker 6: Like that's the first time.
Speaker 1: She said, Oh my god, Oh my god. You're like, let me just put the gun down so I can shake your hand.
Speaker 4: What's up.
Speaker 7: But then they were great, like she's on one side of me and he's on the other, and they would just be like he'd be like say this and she'd be like say this. And at one point, can I can I say the effort?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, as much as you want.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I have been listening to you guys podcast, so I thought so.
Speaker 7: At one point he says, get the fuck away from me, and I was like, get the fuck away from me. And then after they caught it, the script supervisor came around and she whispered in my ear. She's like, you can't say fuck, And I'm like, oh, that was like direction. That wasn't telling me actually to say. Also, I could not touch the child with the shot caller, Like when I turn around to do to do the shock, I didn't even have it in my hand, like really, yeah, Like the legal people were all over that.
Speaker 6: There were like so many rules like.
Speaker 2: Yes, tell us about the details of the like other how they kept her not knowing everything.
Speaker 4: Did she know the storyline? She's very precocious.
Speaker 7: I imagine she knew the storyline and she was into it.
Speaker 1: She was into it so terrified. She was great, Actually, she was great. Was really freaking me out.
Speaker 7: She was great. She gutshould get her on here. I saw her on a TV show the other day. I was like, that's my that's my it's not my daughter, my kid. I did after her.
Speaker 6: She was great.
Speaker 7: She wanted to and her mom told me that she wants to do all the dark stuff like when we were kids. When we were she just went for it. I mean they had to take her back a little bit like when she was when we were kidnapping her. She was struggling with me and just like fighting fighting against me, and director would be like a little less.
Speaker 6: She loved it.
Speaker 4: She loved it.
Speaker 2: How was your interactions when it was like cut, Like, were you guys kind of chummy?
Speaker 4: Did you keep separate to.
Speaker 6: Like so chummy?
Speaker 7: She was like, we'd take selfies, we'd like hang out like we're like.
Speaker 6: That was fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you gotta keep it lighter. I feel like it's probably so scary for kids.
Speaker 7: I had a stun double, but that was supposed to drive the car, and I've had one on a movie one time before, so that's the first time. It wasn't the first time, so I didn't have I wasn't as like, oh my god, I have stunt double, you know.
Speaker 6: But they were supposed to drive the.
Speaker 7: Car around the block, and the director was like, keep going. So I drove the car around the block. But they had a dummy child that was dressed like her in the back seat, which which I had. They moved really fast on SPU, so I hadn't really turned around to look at the child because I also, I drive, but I don't drive in New York, so I was like, oh, I'm driving in New York.
Speaker 6: I had to, you know, pay attention.
Speaker 7: So I didn't turn around and look at the dummy child in the back until I had gotten all the way around the block. And then I was a little like, oh my god, that's so fair, very creepy.
Speaker 4: And you know what else, this is not even that specific.
Speaker 2: They only had a few hundred subscribers, like I remember them saying that, and I was like, all this for a few hundred.
Speaker 1: People, I have a lot to say. When we actually read episode, I'm like.
Speaker 7: There were some holes in the script I had that I had.
Speaker 6: To like, you know, backstory it up for myself.
Speaker 7: I mean, I just this short version of it was just like that I came from money and you know, had issues with my family, and you know, I married this guy who I'm completely obsessed with, and we you know, partied together and and he started after we had a kid. You know, it was getting to that point where like we have to have a kid or not. And then so it was like, okay, let's just try it. Like we never were committed to it, and then he started to and you never loved your kid as much as the dogs, No, and I and I lost the fun, fun party part of my husband like went away, started to go away, and I didn't know how to get it back.
Speaker 6: And I had some like resentment.
Speaker 7: You know, we were like sexually devious all this stuff and had a lot of fun together. And then but he you know, we had a little bit of money. Somehow, we couldn't have been provided, we couldn't have been supporting ourselves on these rottweilers, right, and he wasn't working that hard. And then he he lost it for me after we had the kid. He lost his passion for me.
Speaker 4: And Bill he's disciplining that doggie. Wow.
Speaker 7: And then I wanted to get it and then I wanted to get that back, and you know, so I had to do something to because I'm so dismissive of him in it and I'm just ready to turn him over, like I I had to work on something that made me able to just be like I'm done with you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, like blame blame it on him in subway. I don't know. It was something. It was something like that.
Speaker 4: That's cool.
Speaker 1: That's cool because you created a lot of backstory that I would have loved to have heard, you know.
Speaker 4: Like it's definitely like what's her motivation here?
Speaker 1: Like yeah, like but that's like such an interesting part of like the job that you do is like you don't always get that, and a director doesn't always tell you either, so you got to like fill it in for yourself or.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because we meet her so heightened and then she yeah, you're right, she's like so confident and interrogation and so dismiss it and just ready, Yeah, it's the interrogation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, tell us everything.
Speaker 7: The interrogation scene was interesting to me because you know, it's Marishka and Kelly right there like in my face, and they were like in my face.
Speaker 2: Like but also with your backstory about having money. That's how you guys got lawyers that fast?
Speaker 6: Yeah maybe, yeah, that's smart.
Speaker 4: Okay, sorry, but yes.
Speaker 7: So they come in, you know, and they are both just like you know, they're both just like powerhouses, and they want to get going because you know, the guest stars who have been trying to get on the show for fifteen years, they probably all want to be good for them and be their friends, and they want them to be interested in us. And I'm just like sitting.
Speaker 6: There like like what do I do? My god, they're bright in my face, you know. So they talk to you. I could feel it happening.
Speaker 7: They talk to you as much as they need to talk to you to get what they need so they can go home to their kids.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 7: So we do the scene, we rehearse a little bit, and then in between takes. You know, Kelly started it, she'd be like, so where are you from? You know, and I'd be like Indiana and and you know, and then in between takes, the next the next one, Mariska said, my father was mister Indiana.
Speaker 6: He was a bodybuilder. Like you know, they say.
Speaker 7: These and and now after watching the my mom Jane, I feel like.
Speaker 6: So special that she said that to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so they'll.
Speaker 7: Say little things to you like we're like, it's like we're not friends, but we're gonna be nice to each other and cordial and try to make me feel comfortable enough that we are a little bit making friends so that we can get the work done.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 7: That's what it feels like. But it feels in a good way. I'm making it sound like a little frivolous, but in a good way. It feels like they're almost gonna let me into the club, but not really, but we're just gonna get but you know, you're you're not.
Speaker 6: There yet, you know.
Speaker 1: Probably depends also like what type of day you're shooting the scene, Like if it's first thing in the morning, maybe they're more chatty, and then like if it's five o'clock or they're like, we gotta get home, you know.
Speaker 6: But but then we did, we did. I did feel good by the end of it.
Speaker 7: I told Kelly that I waited on her a couple of times at a restaurant and I she'd come into this restaurant where I worked, and she was kind of.
Speaker 6: Like where when you know, like like like she didn't really remember it.
Speaker 7: And I was like, oh God, note to self, don't tell stars that you waited on them in a restaurant. I was like, lesson learned. I won't like try to make that connection. And then though by the end of it, I did feel so then I felt a little insecure for a minute, but then by the end of it, I did feel like we were okay.
Speaker 2: I don't know, it's like so weird. Wait what restaurant was it?
Speaker 6: MoMA Fucu zombar Oh?
Speaker 4: Wow, I remember? How can you not remember MoMA Fuku? Yeah it was.
Speaker 6: It's not there anymore.
Speaker 7: But I worked there for a long time, like seven and a half years, and you know, everybody would come in there, so you would. It's just like the thing of like some celebrity you can talk to them and some you can't, and you just have to feel feel it out, and you never want to make it about and you talk to them about the food.
Speaker 6: You don't talk to them about other things, you know.
Speaker 7: But by the end of that little interaction with the two of them that interrogation scene, I did have the confidence to say, I just want you both to know that I've been auditioning for the show for fifteen years.
Speaker 6: And then Richie said, and look, you got the best ones.
Speaker 4: Awesome. Yeah, and I.
Speaker 2: Mean these scenes in your real I mean, yeah, it's like incredible.
Speaker 1: Well, let me ask you this, because you did an episode of organized crime as well, right, yes, did you notice like a difference between being on like a set run by Christopher Maloney and a set run by Mrushia Hargitet Because I'm interested.
Speaker 7: So I only saw him in the makeup room and he was very nice to me, came right up, introduced himself, you know, like smiled, and I was like, oh, you know, but he wasn't on my scene. And I do have a good organized crime story as well. So my first show was Criminal Minds, and I had like one line one and then it got cut to one word and then this is in my this isn't my solo play that I'll plug later, but in my family it's a verb we call I got criminal minded again. So it's like I get cut out or it's just like you're you're there and you look like you know, it's happened to me so many times, or you look like an extra, but you're there, you know, But you did have a scene so organized crime. I was like a rocker chick, like had this big leather jacket with fringe, and I was like jamming out in the in the truck. And my boyfriend was ex military. So there's a cop stuck in the trunk of the car and he's doing SOS with the brake lights. So my boyfriend's like, I think that's SOS. So we stop and like, you know, try to let him out. So the day that was the third day, second or third day of shooting, it was set up in on a street. A pedestrian car drives through the set, knocking down the cameras. Oh my god, yes, yes, knocking down the cameras. Like this big thing happened. I didn't see it. I was in the in the van. But then like camera crew went to like crew went to like get him, like attack him. He pulls out his this is the story I got here, say, I didn't see it for myself. He pulls out his cell phone camera and starts filming them coming at him, and so then the cops recalled he go, They let him go, the guy who drove through the set, and the day they call the day because people can't keep shooting after that. So I called my brother and I was like, I am going to get criminal minded again.
Speaker 6: I'm like, I'm not.
Speaker 7: Gonna They're not even I cannot find it. I'm like there was a terrorist attack or something. I cannot find another reason why I'm gonna. I'm not even going to get to shoot this. So they do call us back one more day. They set up the set in a parking lot instead of on that street, and we do the scene again. So I'm like, cool, I'm gonna make it. I'm going to get in because it was the teaser. And then you know, a few weeks months later, I'm watching the episode and I'm like, that doesn't happen. Now, that doesn't happen yet, the whole teaser was caught. They just start with the guy getting out of the trunk. Oh, so you got criminal minded again. I got criminal minded again. So you can barely see me in organized crime?
Speaker 2: Wait, you mentioned solo show? Tell us about it?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 2: How to Find a husband in thirty seven years or longer?
Speaker 6: Or longer.
Speaker 7: It is, you know it. I watched your Netflix special too. I love that stuff.
Speaker 4: About your dad. Oh my gosh, thank you.
Speaker 7: It's called How to Find a Husband in thirty seven Years or Longer, and my dad is the main character.
Speaker 6: My dad. We have been touring a little bit this summer.
Speaker 3: We have.
Speaker 7: We just did Days in South Dakota, where some my my brother lives, and that was a really great theater Catalyst shout out to Catalyst Theater Company. They were awesome. And then we're doing it in Indianapolis in August. But my father got busted growing marijuana in twenty ten, and he's like a Pentecostal Christian, like, he just did it for the money. This is in Indiana where it's you know, completely illegal. He just did it for the money. Some kid in his factory convinced him to do it. And so I was supposed to go to India for my first roommate in New York's wedding, and my flights got canceled twice, so I ended up in That's like the first joke is, like, I guess I wasn't supposed to be in India.
Speaker 6: I was supposed to be in Indiana.
Speaker 7: So I go to Indiana and I record my dad, which I didn't even it was, you know, it was like I think I had my first iPhone and I had never recorded really on your phone. So I recorded him just like figuring it out, like is this how this works? You know, like let me see if this works. And he didn't know I was recording him. I recorded him telling me like his side of the story, and then it kind of turned into this. I didn't think it was the same script, but I was writing also, you know, boys stories, and my dad talks about his four ex wives, so it's kind of in present time. I'm in the truck with my dad discussing what happened with this marijuana thing, and he starts going off on his ex wives and then it goes into like a memory play of like ex boyfriends and like falling love and break up.
Speaker 6: And yeah, so we've been doing it a little bit. We took it to Edinburgh Fringe.
Speaker 4: How was that? How was the fringe? It was great?
Speaker 6: Have you ever done the Fringe?
Speaker 2: I did it in twenty nineteen and I really enjoyed my time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, we have to go back, We have to go back. It's it was like amazing, it was a bucket list. It was like crazyness, Like it felt like a year and it felt like a day all at the same time. And then I came home and like had a mental breakdown, like what am I going to do now?
Speaker 2: Well, if you're in Indiana August twenty second through the twenty fourth.
Speaker 4: Go seeay say what it's called again?
Speaker 7: JJ how to find a husband in thirty seven years or longer?
Speaker 1: Okay, great, yes, indie indie people, go see that or the Environs of Indy and.
Speaker 6: Give me more guest star auditions Universe.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, but it'll probably just be in like a year or two, because you know, we can't just forget about Nicole.
Speaker 4: You know, like I will regular lady now, you know.
Speaker 2: And that room is creepy, Like I'm you know, it's at it, but that room is creepy.
Speaker 7: And they took that room out to the barn and had it like reset up in the barn.
Speaker 6: Yeah that I did see that.
Speaker 7: That was creepy and I got to do it. Yeah, and I got to do adr for the first time, which was so fun. Ooh yeah, I had never done that. So you're in a little booth, you're in a room, somebody's in Stye Town, somebody's in LA and they play the scene for you, and then you have to like because they wanted my my torturing voice was too mean. They wanted it to be like sweeter, so it was more like creepy.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So then I was like doing all these like higher voice inflections, like don't do that. You know you're gonna be trying to make it like really creepy instead of harsh. So I got to do adr for that.
Speaker 6: Great, they did make you creepy. They succeeded.
Speaker 1: It's so such a like little yeah eight R is such a funny little trick, like when you just can add jokes in when you don't see someone's mouth, you know, like.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and you just watch the screen and then say the line and they change it and I could see how they changed it on the on the cut.
Speaker 6: Was that was that was pretty cool?
Speaker 4: Crazy? Thank you for having so many details.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you're more most recent, I would say, you're the we've we've never ever talked to somebody who's just been on an episode so recent.
Speaker 2: Really, you never talked to her anyone in the current season ever.
Speaker 6: First time, Well, my friend Kate. Hi, Kate.
Speaker 7: My friend Kate told me about you guys because she's one of those people that is watches SPU.
Speaker 6: Like from the beginning every week, die Hard.
Speaker 7: She was a manager at the restaurant that I was talking about, Sombar, So she I didn't tell her that I got it because I like kind of knew in my head that she would see me and so that she she like finally was like, JJ, you know because because you do that. I when I worked there that I had auditioned a couple of times and she sent me your Guys podcast.
Speaker 6: She was like, you should be on this, So.
Speaker 1: Kak, we need boots on the ground recruiting people. Anything else you'd like to tell people about or how to follow you.
Speaker 6: Or yeah, an scoop my any scoop?
Speaker 7: Oh, where would we start? My Instagram is at Alice IW for Alice in Wonderland, Alice IW on Instagram, TikTok all that you know all this stuff Twitter not Twitter.
Speaker 2: X, thank you and thanks to your friend Kate. We were like so excited that you're able to come on. I mean it's uh, it's an incredibly dark, good episode.
Speaker 4: It is right, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, she was awesome remembered everything. What a story of perseverance and what an actress because yeah, don't give up.
Speaker 1: Fifteen years she finally got to play like a fucking extremely sick o battie and have face time with all the main casts.
Speaker 4: So good for her. I hate this episode.
Speaker 1: The episode is so dark, Like I'm really excited to see what's going to happen in this new season with this new female showrunner who not only is a female showrunner but also comes from like the classic days of the show.
Speaker 4: You know, like I kind of just want we.
Speaker 1: Don't have to get as horrific as possible, Like just somebody breaking into someone's apartment and attacking them is horrific enough, you know, like we don't have to do pooring gas on people and the most important lifeguard in New York.
Speaker 4: Although I mean we had fun with that, but like.
Speaker 2: No, it's so but I'm glad to know that the young actress was just like a dark girl, Like who loved that because it's scary.
Speaker 4: It's scary, and she was so good in it.
Speaker 2: But I think it's like seeing her get shocked and scream.
Speaker 4: Like it was just tough. She was really good because if you.
Speaker 1: Think back to like the very little like abuse that they show on the show of Children, Like they usually you find a kid huddled in a blanket, Oh my god, we found you, Sammy, like or whatever, Like, we don't usually see bad things happening like to the kid directly. That little girl was like terrifying me. She looked so scared. She was excellent. Yeah, she was excellent. I bet we're gonna follow her forever and she'll be like a Lily Reinhart where we're like, wait, we can't get hurt. What do you mean she's thirty million followers. It'll be that kind of situation.
Speaker 4: Oh my god. Yeah, Lily Reinhart stone Cold.
Speaker 2: But yeah, she's a trailer for some movie that looks good with her. Well, yeah, there's just what's the fun movie coming out with all the desks, Casey, the scary one with the desks and all the kids get up, Julia.
Speaker 1: Isn't it called like seventeen Weapon Weapons and it's like seventeen kids leave their house this and don't return or something like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm excited. I'm fucking excited. Get me.
Speaker 2: Oh your favorite June Diana Raphael's in it. Oh I saw her at the premiere. Look at the weapon.
Speaker 1: She was the Weapons premiere looking you went to the Weapons premiere no on on Instagram. Oh sorry, I did not mean to make it sound like I was at the premiere.
Speaker 4: I think I would have led with that in the intro.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 1: I saw her when she was posing at the premiere, and she just was wearing like a really sexy outfit.
Speaker 4: Shows good. Yeah, I'm excited as fuck. Yeah, I don't know anything about it.
Speaker 1: I've just been seeing the post I saw the posters around New York for it everywhere, but post mortem for this episode. I guess it's like, let lock the car if your kid, if you're delivering food and your kids inside, I mean, well, that's the lesson.
Speaker 2: The lesson is, like our life sucks. We're living in a dystopian nightmare. No one should have to be delivering groceries while their kid is sick like it's fucked up, like it's fucked up.
Speaker 4: To watch the the bad lives that we're all okay with. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm excluding myself from this narrative, but I don't think anyone should have to struggle like that. No, I know, at the end, she goes, my parents are in Vermont, We're gonna go up there. I was like, why weren't you there already? Like I don't know, like and then close to the trust on boyfriend yeah or the father Yeah, what the fuck? Yeah, And like I don't know, dude, I don't know if it's gonna happen with your ozembic jingles.
Speaker 2: But keep following your dreams. I do have other big news. I forgot to mention. I did have dinner at Margaritaville in Times Square.
Speaker 4: Wow, what brought that on?
Speaker 2: Well, my friends and nieces were in town, so they stayed there for the pool. But then there's a booth that is the Statue of Liberty, So you sit inside the Statue of Liberty and they love the Statue of Liberty. And she's holding a margarita glass instead of a torch, and it's led margarita glass, so it turns into sharp little women.
Speaker 4: I get it.
Speaker 1: As soon as kids rented the picture, I was like, this makes sense.
Speaker 2: But like I had a Havana banana drink and honey. That was the first thing I all day, and I was wasted. But yeah, yeah, and the Buffalo chicken dip was good. I thought it was actually gonna be way worse than it was, so I was exciting.
Speaker 1: I don't even know where that is. Like it's a hotel and a restaurant. Oh yeah, the hotel is crazy. You walk in and there's just a giant flip flop. All the art is just parrots going. Is there a woman to blame?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: It's like not a girl. It's in Times Square.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like parrot heads just they descend on this place and it's just so trashy.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: But I think the price is okay for like with a pool, I guess or some sort. I don't have a pool in New York in the summer and be central.
Speaker 4: I get that.
Speaker 1: I get yeah, because they were going to a Latin you know their children they were really cool. Yeah, oh Aladdin. I always forget about Aladdin.
Speaker 4: But that's how I know.
Speaker 2: I'm back to back because at this Whippets hang, I was at a mission star chef cooked for us excuse me, yeah, and I was like in heaven and then I was at Margaritaville the next day.
Speaker 4: I can do it all.
Speaker 1: It's all kinds. You really are multifaceted. Wait, speaking of Michelin Starship. It just reminded me of it, just like that. I am catching up. I'm already a few episodes into the third season, so I'm getting there with like everybody hate watching it, I'm going to get to I'm going to finish right as like the last episode drops.
Speaker 2: I was talking to someone young, like they're twenty one, and I was talking about how I'm just like that's ending, and they were like, so many of my moms are employed by that show. That sucks, and she just knew all these women that have like jobs because of the show.
Speaker 1: Wait, but is it ending? Oh yeay, I know it's done. They're not returning.
Speaker 4: It is done. Oh okay, I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now I see all the memes where it's like I hate the show. All I did was talk shit about it. I lived every moment, every second, and now I'm like, what do you mean it's ending?
Speaker 4: Yeah? What do you mean? What's going on here?
Speaker 1: Oh? That's too bad. I was kind of watching it while doing other things. I was sort of emily emparising it, and I was enjoying, Like, I mean, it's bad. It's bad, and it's not the same as what we had but I was like, oh, the apartments are gorgeous and the fashion, and I like New York. That New York looks beautiful. You know, I was enjoying parts. Well, guess what else is set in New York? Dexter Okay, yeah, I'm excited. I'm putting that on my Wait, where's my watch list? I'm gonna it's just fucking good. It's such a good show. Like I forget that I'm a Dexter head, Like I just forget.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, we love it.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm putting it on my list along, well I can cross off and just like that, and I'm gonna put But they make.
Speaker 4: It really hard. People are like, oh, it's still continuing.
Speaker 2: I'm like, well, there was a new Blood and this is Resurrection, but there's a prequel in the beginning, and that one is not good.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: It's like it's not trying a bunch of different things.
Speaker 4: It's not simple. But all right, let's get it.
Speaker 6: Let's move into our what would Sister Peg Do?
Speaker 1: This is our weekly segment where we direct you towards an organization, an article, a book, a blog, something to give you more info about what we talked about today and you know, we didn't like seeing a psychopath raising a bunch of dogs, breeding them to sell to people, and so we wanted to point you to the American Humane Society. They have been a champion for animals for almost one hundred and fifty years. They rescue, care for, and protect animals by taking action wherever and whenever they are in need. They also do a lot of work during natural disasters to rescue and care for animals caught in disaster zone. So for more info and to donate, go to Americanhumane dot org and we will post that. That's obviously always in our show notes linked and then it will be linked in our stories and saved in our WWSPD highlights on our Instagram page, which is thats Messed Up Pod amazing.
Speaker 2: Thank you for that, and next week we'll be doing Street Revenge Season thirteen, episode nineteen.
Speaker 4: Join us. We're obsessed with you XO forever.
Speaker 2: Bye, guys, That's Messed Up as an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us, or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email it That's messed uppod at gmail dot com. Listen to That's Messed Up on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and at Glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our senior producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina Chamberlain, and.
Speaker 1: To our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner, and to Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly Geen Andrews for our artwork. Thank you to our executive producers Georgia hard Start, Karen Kilgareff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media.
Speaker 2: Dut dun