Speaker 1: Look, ol, it's only films to be buried with. Hello, and welcome to films to be buried with. My name is Brett Goldstein. I'm a comedian and actor, a writer, a director, a screener, and I love films. As Jack Kerouac once said, write in recollection and amazement for yourself. Also watch American Fiction and love how much time and Carrerot takes with all its characters. It's really a lovely film. Wow left hand there, but yeah, I completely agree, mister Kerouac. Every week I'm by a special guest over. I tell them they've died. Then I get them to discuss their life through the films that meant that most of them. Previous guests include Kevin Smith, Barry Jenkins, Sharon Stone and even Bed Ambles. But this week it's the brilliant actor and all round legend, mister Tyler James Williams. Head over to the Patreon at patreon dot com forward slash Brett Goldstein, where you get an extra fifteen to twenty minutes a chat with We talk secrets, we talk beginnings and endings, and you get the whole episode unca and ad free and as a video. Check it out. Over at patreon dot com forward slash Brett Goldstein so Tyler James Williams is an award winning actor. He first came to fame as a young Chris Rock in Everybody Hates Chris, and now he is one of the stars of Quinter Brunson's hugely successful masterpiece Abbat Elementary, which has just announced its fourth season. We never had a chance to properly speak before until we recorded this the other day on Zoom and my god, did we have a lovely time. I really think you're going to love this one. He's fucking brilliant. So that is it for now. I very much hope you enjoy episode two hundred and eighty seven of Films to be Buried With Hello, and welcome to Films to Be Buried With. It is Hi Brett Goldstein and I am enjoined today by an actor, a young Chris Rock, a labrat, a little walking dead, a whiskey cavalier, a go on, and a dear white people, an unaccompanied minor, a wedding gear, an award nominee, an award winner, and one of the all time greats. I can't believe he's here. Can you believe he's here he really is. Please welcome to the show, in the middle of filming his hit smash Emmy winning show himself. It's the brilliant, the one, the only here he is. It's Tanado's Williams. Thank you.
Speaker 2: That was the I think.
Speaker 3: With all the deep cuts, deep cut whiskey Cavalira is one that I don't expect to hear ever again.
Speaker 1: That's a good show, A good show forgotten Jam.
Speaker 2: It's a really expensive job, but it was a good show.
Speaker 1: There's some stuff on your CV that I didn't know about. You did a show with Matthew Perry. I see that. I did not know that show I did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, his return to NBC called go on another very expensive show about a bunch of people in a grief therapy group. Oh yeah, it was actually really interesting.
Speaker 2: I like it. There's just twelve people are shooting in a circle.
Speaker 3: Isn't the best way to do it, as it's going to be very extended in very long days.
Speaker 2: But it was a good show. I like that.
Speaker 1: Wow. So look, this is the first time we've probably spoken in real life. You're brilliant. I'm a huge fan. I'm very glad that you're doing this. I've had Quinterer on the show, and it's about time we had you on. First question I wanted to ask you is I'm always fascinated by people who were child actors who aren't dickheads, and I wonder if you could tell me what is your secret? You have a very very good reputation you have, you are much loved, and you you were a child actor. How young were when you started?
Speaker 2: I started when I was four years old.
Speaker 1: Fuck yeah, So you have every right to be mad. And so my question is, how come you're not? What happened away?
Speaker 3: I'll come I'm not a dickhead. I'm sorry to disappoint you. Know, to be completely real with you, I was. I'm from New York and I'm like one of those New York actors who that's all I like to do is I like to perform. And I love the process of making a show and making a film and all that. I hate literally everything else. And I think that's what keeps me from being a dig head.
Speaker 2: I like being on set. I love the process.
Speaker 3: Anything that would stop me for being able to do that is like my worst en. I mean, anything that takes me away from that, You're gonna have to drag me kicking and screaming too.
Speaker 2: So I think that's it. I love the work, hate everything else.
Speaker 1: Man, Well, I relate to that, and I'm not a child actor.
Speaker 2: Uh, you seem like it.
Speaker 3: You seem like you do because this is the first time like profit spoken, and you're also rather brilliant. So I've been meaning to tell you that, like formally, you're you're you're quite.
Speaker 2: Quite good at the many things that you do, and I haven't respect you.
Speaker 1: Stop it right? Is this interview is over?
Speaker 2: No more of it?
Speaker 1: How how many seasons? Was Everybody Hates Chris for four seasons? Was that the longest run of something you've done?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: And that big on long runs like that, especially where like numbers and stuff get involved, because sometimes the show start to get compromised.
Speaker 2: I've been a one or two and out kind of guy for a few.
Speaker 1: Years and at Elementary's now one season three? And where do you get to when you did Everybody Hates Chris? When you were on like season four? Did did dynamics change with everyone? Was it like more of a grind? Was it still fun? Like? Where did you get to psychologically by that stage of it? Because that was like twenty four episodes, was.
Speaker 3: It, Yes, we did eighty eight and four years. At that point, I think it just become a machine at the end. We were so good at being in it and cranking it out week to week.
Speaker 2: You can kind of feel when you're not being challenged as much anymore.
Speaker 3: And I was like that was sixteen and I remember feeling that of like I could do this not necessarily in my sleep, but not fully conscious if I needed Yeah, And that's just the I think that's the hard part with doing that many episodes, with that many seasons is how do you, you know, stop yourself from getting formulated towards the end.
Speaker 1: But at the same time that being your world for four years in a very intense way? Was it very sad when it? And did you do you still have you still in touch with those people or was it like done?
Speaker 2: It actually wasn't.
Speaker 3: I think by the end of it we all knew that either this was it or we do like maybe one more. One of the things that people don't realize with that show is that at the time it was airing, our numbers were pretty bad. It blew up in syndication after the fact, But while we were on for the last two years or so, we were really kind of fighting for our slot, so we knew that it was coming to an end, and it didn't feel like we had really anything else to do. We didn't feel like we had any like if we were going to tell more story, it was going to be more of what we saw already. So I remember walking away from it feeling like we did what we came to do. And I still run into like I ran of Chris a few months ago, and so just Sina at the Emmys, Harry somewhere because he's just outside a lot and it's all good in love, you know what I mean. That's the thing I think when you do a show, if you feel like you did everything that you came to do, you can walk away from it pretty easily detaching.
Speaker 1: That's nice.
Speaker 2: So how do you do it? See?
Speaker 1: Have you always you've basically always been famous since you were conscious?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Everybody who is Chris? I was twelve.
Speaker 3: I'll be thirty two this year, So yeah, I spent more time famous than not. It's really strange. I don't highly recommend it at all.
Speaker 1: It's very weird. So you don't know what it's like to not be really No.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no, it's a very weird existence. It's like I listen to other people talk about their teens and their twenties, and they have like fond memories of things and like quirky lit anecdotes. Mine's like this is when I went through this in the entire world. So it was kind of got a problem for me. But it's he's still.
Speaker 1: Here, fascinating. Fuck man, today, it's amazing. You're not crazy. You should be crazier.
Speaker 3: I probably should be. I probably should be. I got good parents. They do a really good job of trying to keep it like normal and all of that. I think part of it too, is like I see myself as famous because I know it's the reality of my world, but I don't to lean into it, you know what I mean, Like I try to reject it as much as possible, keep things as normal as much as possible, hang around with other people who just kind of really like the work versus that whole world, and just you know, try to kick that dickhead portion of my life down the road as far as it's coming. At some point, oh yeah, it's at.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Hold off to about forty and then really enjoy.
Speaker 2: There you go, there we go, and I can really have fun.
Speaker 1: By that stage, you've earned it. I think people be like, it's fa Let him have it. He's been so good for like thirty years. Let him be a dickhead. Sorry, I have forgotten to tell you something. What God, it's fuck it. It's terrible that I didn't tell you this up top. I'm going to just say it and then, well, so deal with that. I space, I'll you've died. You're dead, dead, You're dead. Yeah, it makes a lot of sense now, the tracks, it's sort of all the pieces coming together in it. How did you die?
Speaker 3: It's a number of ways could happen. I hope it was happy, but probably not. A light possibly fell on me, that worked a little bit, grips or electric didn't quite screw something.
Speaker 1: Then that's the way that makes sense to me. Hold on, what's a happy death? You said, I hope it's happy. What's a happy death.
Speaker 2: That's a happy death.
Speaker 1: That's a happy death.
Speaker 2: That's a happy death. I'm on set. I'm like standing on my mark. I'm in the middle of the seat. A light balls on my head. I die that way. I'm pretty happy with that. I'm good to go there.
Speaker 1: You don't like the Truman Show, A light fell on you? Yeah, you just you just fucking nailed the joke. The crew will like shoulder shaken, trying not to and that's watch ship the light News it fell.
Speaker 3: Everybody was like but the timing was also really great too, so it also should probably make the cut.
Speaker 1: It's going to be in the bleeper reality for sure.
Speaker 2: Push you at thereat part of me at least.
Speaker 1: How old do you want to be when this happens?
Speaker 3: Like it's mac someone funny if I'm like seventy eight, Yeah, because then it's like, you know, long illustrious career, Morgan Freeman style, and you want to hear I think people would like to hear that somebody like that on set the very like crazy way, but something that simple, it's really great.
Speaker 2: I think that's that's it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think if you're going to be a dickhead at forty you have maybe ten years, ten years of being a dickhead, your reputation is in shreds, and then you go on some spiritual journey. You come back, you have a few years off, you come back, you start to rebuild. Everyone loves you you're back, you're back, You're good. But now you're on season six of a show and you're like the guy they cut to. You have lots of great one liners. You like a sort of surgeon. You come in bang, why not bang? And then you deliver this way. They're all shaking and then the light falls in your head.
Speaker 2: Dead. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I have to get off the the memoir first. If I can get that memoir out where I can just unload the clip on everything and everybody, just and it's not even the bad, it's the good too, just the wild story time, that will pull me out of dicknet. It'll be like, ah, he's old, but he's got some crazy story and they're.
Speaker 1: Going to publish that before you die. That's not a publishing of my death.
Speaker 2: Probably, Yeah, that's got to go.
Speaker 3: I have to see people's reaction to the wild because mind is less about stories about me. It's more stories about everybody else that you wouldn't think what's happening. Like, I want to get into who dated, I want to get who cheated on each other? I want to go for Jones style with Richard Pryor and Marlon Brando. That's where I want to go Once I see that and I can be messy, then I'm good to go.
Speaker 1: Okay, I mean, I'm looking forward to this memoir.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be great.
Speaker 1: I hope you've started.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I've got notes, notes, tons and tons of notes.
Speaker 1: This is how you come back from your dickhead. Is everybody die? Okay?
Speaker 2: I hope we most of y'all are dead. But if not, yo, oh yeah.
Speaker 3: I think that's the best time to really be your best self is seventy plus, because like, what are they gonna sorry?
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's like when Carrie Fish's memoirs came out and she mentioned a lot of things that were very personal about real people who were alive, but it seemed okay because it was a very long time a guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't you know, it's so detached, so far from it. It's strictly entertainment.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, I like that. Do you worry about death? Do you worry about that?
Speaker 3: I think about it a lot. I don't know if it's necessarily worry. It does come up a bit. I think because I started doing things so early that there are things that people are chasing still that I'm not necessarily chasing at Like thirty. So it's one of those things where it's like if it did happen, if it did come knocking on my door. There's not really a lot of being like I didn't get to do that, which I just find interesting. I find like an interesting place to create from because there's really nothing to lose at that point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, listen, I joke about this in my stand up, but it's not a joke. I completely mean it. I did Sesame Street, which you have also done. You did it for Yes, when did you do Sesame Street? A year ago? I did see this.
Speaker 2: I saw this.
Speaker 1: It's okay, But what I say is it was the best day of my life. And I do feel like it doesn't matter if I die now. I felt that ever since Sesame Street. I'm like, well, it doesn't matter. I did it, you know what I mean. That's how I started. I've been there since five even there since five years old. Yeah, so I've been good to go. I'm just yeah, I'm coasting at this point. Yeah, none of this matters.
Speaker 2: I think after that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, can I ask you something? And I hate to do this and I will cut it if this is inappropriate or wrong. I googled you to get any credits. I didn't know, and there was a thing that said you had had a near death experience. I don't know if that's true, but if that is in the presucce you'd discuss, is that something you would talk about or is that private?
Speaker 2: I mean I talked about it with other people. I don't know why I would draw the online here, but.
Speaker 1: I'm so sorry because I hate you getting stuff off the inn. It just popped up in a thing and I was like, oh, that sounds very interesting, but if that's all right.
Speaker 2: I was twenty three.
Speaker 3: One of the things that people don't realize we're doing a show that you would know as you would not only like starting shows we'd written and produced.
Speaker 2: And do all the things.
Speaker 3: The process of doing a show is very stressful, from shooting to release the promo to all of it. So I became really acutely aware of that for everybody. It's curse when I turned twelve, that I was carrying a show with a bunch of people whose jobs all depended on my performance and all of that, and then numbers would come out and you would see and hear things, so it became really stressful. So I developed essentially like stress disorder, and then it materialized in my body is Chrome's disease, and I didn't take care of it or even though it was really bare until one day I went to the hospital because like, my insides are going to explode, and a surge and said, no, insides are going to explode.
Speaker 2: I was like, nice, fuck.
Speaker 3: And then two weeks later they did it, and that was like all the twenty seventeen.
Speaker 2: That spent all the twenty seventeen pretty much in the hospital.
Speaker 3: Oh fuck, but my insides explode, disconnecting them, pull them on the inside on the outside, and announced me back.
Speaker 2: And put them back in. Then it was a whole thing. So when that happens, you have a lot of time to think about that. It's like, hey, I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what did you Where was your head in that in that period?
Speaker 3: You know, it was kind of similar in the sense of like I wasn't afraid of it. I was disappointed though in me, I was disappointed that I didn't enjoy it. I had done a lot of things, but I didn't really or them. I got a lot done, but I wasn't having a good time. And that was pretty much what I came away with it. Going was I'm gonna have fun this time, and we'll see whatever happens happened. I'm not I can't be concerned about how well something's going to do or if I'm doing the right thing, because I think it's also part of the child that I could think is you're like very much Solf, pushed to do the right thing always. I'm just gonna have a good time. And everything got better after that, every man.
Speaker 1: I was worried about asking you that, but I'm glad I did because that's funny. Oh yeah, profound, and I appreciate it, hype, it's and look at you. I always think that's look at you, you know what I mean? If that was your your your new life's work, and now you're mistermyss like doing this fucking amazing show. Everything's fucking You're doing really good stuff because you're laden with your with love.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of like what happened to us in the pandemic.
Speaker 3: We survived the pandemic, and now we know what we're capable about them. I'm so happy almost died because I now know it's gonna take a lot.
Speaker 1: To kill me. It would take a lot.
Speaker 3: So when stuff happens, and you know, the industry does what the industry does.
Speaker 2: It ain't get me yet.
Speaker 1: I guess a good place. Do you what do you think happens after you die? Do you think there's a place.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I'm a believer, and you'll be back. There's a small period of time where you get a chance to reset, but then get back in there.
Speaker 2: You sitting back now for more stuff.
Speaker 3: I've always been one of those people who has felt like I've been here before, and like this time around, I knew what I came here to do. Like I was four, when I was like, all right, let's get this acting shit started. But it's time to get going. So I've always kind of had this feeling that this isn't the beginning.
Speaker 2: Or the end of the story. Wow, you been here before. I'll be back.
Speaker 1: Well, you're absolutely right, that is right. So would have the answer to that, Yeah, yeah, but I'm in charge of the bit in the middle of the reset where you have a little break and I didn't see that. No, Well a lot of people don't realize, but that's that's heaven and you're welcome people who are very excited to see they're big fans they're big fans of you. I was holding that's something I did at me. Yeah, and Heaven's field with your favorite thing. What's your favorite thing?
Speaker 2: Good TV?
Speaker 1: Oh well, okay, there's a lot of good TV in film Heaven. We're ignoring those rooms, but there's that's love. There's a lot of good TV. Don't worry about it. Obviously, we're not going to talk about that, but there's there. But everyone in TV Heaven weirdly wants to talk to you about film, even though they fucking love TV out there. But they're like, and they first thing they want to ask you, they want to talk about your Like, the first thing they want to know is, what's the first film you remember? Seeing? Men in Black?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's what got me working. That was for I was like, yeah, here we go.
Speaker 1: This for real. I was going to ask you that it was It was your idea, it was your thing. I remember the moment.
Speaker 2: I'm sitting on the floor in my parents' living room.
Speaker 3: There's a green couch behind me, there's a TV entertainment stand that my father put together.
Speaker 1: Good enough, and Men and Black is on.
Speaker 3: Wilson is running down the streets, chasing and alien and he's chopping on and off a bus.
Speaker 1: I'll never forget it. Yeah, well, that's so nice. I've had so many people in this and no one has had that clear. It's always really I guess I thought. I guess I thought I'd like that sort of thing. But for you to be that specific, did you particulate it? Did you say I want to do this?
Speaker 3: Immediately? I turned around and I was like, all right, I would like to do this. And I think as parents they were skeptical, as you should, you know what I mean, Like your child said.
Speaker 2: He wants to be a fireman one day.
Speaker 3: Yes, but when my mom tells it, she was like, and then you were seriously bringing it up every day for like six months, and we were like, all right, fine. But I remember the moment itself of it being clear that I could do this and that's what I was supposed to be doing.
Speaker 1: That's such a fucking good point I've never thought about, is that acting is one of the only jobs that children are allowed to do. Like if you I was a fire man, you can't be a fine man until you think you don't have little firemen running. There's no firemen training, there's.
Speaker 2: No other job.
Speaker 1: Is there that kids are allowed today.
Speaker 3: No, no, that's the same woman. You can really say that. I mean maybe like sports, but either then you can't start professionally immediately.
Speaker 1: Yeah, interested, all right, what is the film that scared you? De mice? Do that being scared? You were being scared?
Speaker 3: The film that scared it's also from Jobhood and it's strange.
Speaker 2: It's Free Willy.
Speaker 3: And here's why Free Willy scared the shit out of me because at the end it made me feel emotions I did not understand.
Speaker 2: I used to be very afraid.
Speaker 3: Of feeling things that I couldn't control, and that I had a great ride the whole movie and get the Orca and he's going all over the place, but then when he actually gets free, I felt so many complicated emotions. I would get up and run from the movie. And it creates a lot of anxiety in me while watching the film. I watched it over and over again because for some reason, as I guess an actor, I want to feel those things, but I'm scared to feel those things at the exact same time, and it would build up anxiety as a film going on, and then eventually I.
Speaker 2: Just had to run up out of the terror. I do like being afraid.
Speaker 3: Though it's weird, I do like it because it means that I'm more than likely heading in the right direction. Or whatever it is is challenging me to do or feel something that is really But yeah, it's a strange one, but pretty willy.
Speaker 1: I love it. I agree with you. I agree with you with with jobs. We've created stuff. Every time I'm scared of the thing, that means I should do the thing. Yep, yeah, it's the best way to tell. What about crying? Then, what's the find of magic? Cry the mist? And do you any cry when you're scared?
Speaker 2: There's been a few from childhood it would be all dogs go to heaven Ship. Yeah, that one really fucked me up.
Speaker 3: That was that was like uncontrollable, inconsolable crying as I got older.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Reynolds right, here's the dog dog.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, I'm still it's the store as I can't think about it.
Speaker 1: That's the one thing we can't talk about. I just casually say, but Reynolds, all, we got to keep them together, you know.
Speaker 2: And it's one of my favorite movies. It's Gangs of New York.
Speaker 3: I deeply, deeply love New York like I love New York like it's a person.
Speaker 2: And there's something about these.
Speaker 3: Factions and groups of people who are all fighting over their place and love for the city, and that it ends with the two stones.
Speaker 2: Of people from old New York who.
Speaker 3: Have just gone and been forgotten, and then New York continues and builds.
Speaker 2: There's something really beautiful about it. To me.
Speaker 3: It's beautiful and dark and sad and bright at the same time.
Speaker 2: To this day, it will always get me that ending, because it.
Speaker 3: Feels like that that plot of land has just been the backdrop for so many people's lives and I really gained the context of that.
Speaker 2: That's a really beautiful thing for me for some reason.
Speaker 1: A fucking great answer. Thank you, beautiful. I'm giving you ten points for that.
Speaker 2: Oh hell yeah? Is that ten heaven points?
Speaker 1: Ten dose? Guys are heaven plants? Yeah? Sorry to bring tell me this, Tell me this. What is the film that you love? People that like it? It is not critically acclaimed, but you love it unconditionally.
Speaker 2: The Nutty Professor too. It is my opinion that Eddie Murphy is.
Speaker 3: Top five greatest actors of our generation and that movie is it on display. I've never seen anybody else be five different people at a table. Each character is distinct, has their own opinion about the conversation. The jokes do not overlap. They argue with one another, and each one is funny. I've seen it done with two or three characters here and there. I've never seen it done on that scale. I could watch those scenes over and over and over again, and I do.
Speaker 2: I still don't fully understand it.
Speaker 3: I think it's criminal that they got deduced down to part jokes, just like that's how people remember it, because it's some of the best character work I think I've ever seen, especially when the general thought is you're only as good as your scene partner, and your scene partner is you all the way around the table.
Speaker 1: In the future. It's you in the future, that's your SAME's it's you in an in two hours time.
Speaker 3: That's I don't even know how to prep that. Yeah, I don't know what to do.
Speaker 2: How do I set myself up for a joke in two hours?
Speaker 1: And it's probably more than two hours because that makeup takes.
Speaker 3: Ages exactly to remember what each one's perspective was. And now I'll argue people down on this. A lot of people will say that Eddie's best work was like in dream Girls or something, and I was like, none of that holds a candle to.
Speaker 1: The class, to the clubs. Fucking hell, you make a very strong case. You're right. Everyone takes it for granted because it's so well done. You don't even think about it. You don't even think about it. The sheer work that's got into it. I don't know who sat in place for him. That's probably stand for the time. But they're no being him.
Speaker 3: They're not being and there's there are certain jokes that you can tell in there are straight Eddie off the top. How do you remember to get because we all have that feeling where it's like I can have said this and another take. You have to get all of that out and then remember what those things are so you can respond to them and then do that.
Speaker 2: Four or five times around the table.
Speaker 1: Could you think they ever went back as in do you think he went I wish when I'd been that character, I'd said this, and they were fucking I was gonna take us eight hours to change your make.
Speaker 3: I'm assuming you have to, like, there's no once you catch a rhythm and you find something I guess now we have to go back and at maybe add another data production, Like I'm not even sure how that works pistically, because it's not stuff you can see, it's not stuff on the page. It's so sloppy. I don't know how they did it. I would love to fully get into it.
Speaker 2: But you have to go back. There's no way you don't.
Speaker 1: I think you'll make an argument that the clubs might be the great suspension. That's the hill I'll die on.
Speaker 2: That is the hill I'll get kicked out of film heaven Born. Yes, but this is.
Speaker 1: You making such a strong such a strong case. Well, I mean, you blow my mind. So what about on the other end of this guy, what is a film that you used to love, You loved it very much, but you voiced it recently and you thought, I di like this said anymore.
Speaker 2: She's all that mess of a film, mess of a film.
Speaker 3: I remember growing up and like, in the nineties there was a huge thing about being a teen. Being a teen was almost better than being an adult, Like that's what they were selling it to you as. And I remember that movie being out and being on TV and all of that and being like, oh, this looks great and I think part of what I liked about the movie was this pitch of what being a teen was supposed to be, which was a lot. I recently went back and watched it with my brothers. Because they were younger at the time, they didn't see any of it, and as I'm watching it, we all slowly just start realizing, this is trash.
Speaker 2: This is it's a mess of a film.
Speaker 3: It doesn't It feels like a film that the producers were doing rewrites on while it was shooting right, and they were just kind of piecing things together. There are moments where and there's like a lot of actors in that film who go on to have great careers, like do amazing work. But it feels like a structural nightmare. Pretty bad film, pretty bad, but it's great how bad it is? Then you watch it from that angle, and it's fantastic.
Speaker 1: I worry that a lot of films, big films, are made by producers writing things on set, pacing it together.
Speaker 3: Currently, I would argue to say more than half yeah, and they wonder, you know, a lot of people wonder why the films and their tones get so off.
Speaker 2: Most times there's a really flick script. The script is great.
Speaker 3: But then somewhere in the middle of all that, producers come in and like we should have this scene, and that's where it starts to fall off.
Speaker 2: But I would argue more than that, I think you're already right.
Speaker 1: What is the film that means the mice to you? Not necessarily the film itself is any good, but the experience you had around seeing the film will always make it meaningful to you.
Speaker 2: Crooklyn Spike Lee.
Speaker 1: Right movie, right movie? What Happened?
Speaker 3: Vernie So cricktd So My mother Her mom had passed away from cancer before I was born, and she kind of always talked about it and what that experience was like for her, and I never fully understood it. When I saw Crooklyn for the first time, it felt like I was getting a glimpse into what my mother's life was as a child. And the movie is brilliant, but it's less about that. It's just something about it that feels like home to me, because it cracked open my family and my family's dynamic in a way that I didn't know I needed to understand at that age. It's in New York, so light, and it's already like fifty percent of the bout ohimy. But Brooklyn reminds me of my family, and more specifically reminds me of my mom because she would watch it and now that I look back on it, she would watch it at particular times while I'm assuming she was going through missing her own mother.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Have you ever watched with Spike Me?
Speaker 3: No, my brother did, and I remember it was really upset my brother.
Speaker 2: This is before everybody hits Chris.
Speaker 3: We both auditioned in New York or I think it's an NBA commercial Lebron James and it's a rookie Lebron James, right, And my middle brother didn't really know basketball like that and I did and he got it and Spike Lee.
Speaker 2: Was directing it, and I was pissed.
Speaker 3: I was the only time I've ever been jealous of my brother getting a job was that because it was both spiked.
Speaker 1: And braun like like rookie Bron.
Speaker 3: It was like, come on, but we've never actually had the chance to and that he's one of the people on my list where I'm like, all right, if death would like to stay away long enough for me to do this, that would be great.
Speaker 1: I think it'll happen before you're seventy eight. It might even be in your dickhead. Yeah, that'd be great, which would be interested to Hell?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, what is the film you must relate to?
Speaker 2: Mm?
Speaker 1: Hitch Will Smith? Hell, Will Smith? I do let Smith cut you into with this? Will tell me?
Speaker 2: Will I think? Okay, First of all, I don't think there's.
Speaker 3: A black actor in Hollywood currently, at least of our age range that didn't at.
Speaker 2: Some point look at Will and go I can be that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's responsible for I think the whole that Michael B.
Speaker 2: Jordan's Wave era of us. That's all him.
Speaker 3: Hitch was to me the first time I got a glimpse of what I assumed being an adult was going to be.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 3: That's why I was like, Okay, this adult shit sounds great.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to do that.
Speaker 3: Like I went from wanting to be a team to wanting to be twenty five really fast, and to the day it's still I think it's one of the best examples of fresh romantic comedy and somebody who's performance and a fresh romantic comedy.
Speaker 1: It's still what I want my life to feel like.
Speaker 2: I'm on my way there. I'm trying to figure that out. How do we feel it's much like, its just palpable.
Speaker 3: But I put it on in my house at least once a week, definitely on a Saturday, for sure.
Speaker 2: If it's coming on, it's coming on on a Saturday.
Speaker 1: That's fucking night. I like that filming love. Yeah, all right, Sata. James Williams say, we got what's the sexiest film you've ever seen?
Speaker 3: Mister and missus Smith. I think it's the sexiest movie any of us ever saw. Yeah, No, it's just it's there's that in therapy session where Brad and Angelina are talking to the therapist and I think she's like biting her nail or something like that.
Speaker 2: And I remember the first time I saw that, I was like, does she know we can see her?
Speaker 1: Like? Does she know that camera is rolling?
Speaker 2: Like? Is she aware that?
Speaker 3: Like if y'all could just hide a little bit that y'all afucker, that'd be great. It was just so palpable in a scared, very sexy way. That's what I loved about It was scarily sexty. I didn't think we knew that two people could be cared like that and then it could be that sexy.
Speaker 2: That's what I realized there was levels to this sexy shit. There's certain things.
Speaker 3: You have to be built and born for and with the right person. If you don't, you'll never reach your mad sexy potential.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with that. Was that was the pinnacle for sure and so interesting. If you've ever seen and not many people have, have you ever seen By the Sea, which is the film that she wrote and directed with him in it, No, I've never seen all they separated. It's like a very long it's about three hours long. It's a really listen It is not a well loved film, but I think it's like I said, it wasn't very well received, but I think it's really interesting because it's her writing. Possibly well. It's a film about a marriage, and it's this couple played by Bradpitt and Asie and Jolly who go away by the sea and he drinks too much and it's sort of miserable and very low key and slow, and it's a very interesting, like companion to mister Missus Smith, where you go like, oh, it went this.
Speaker 3: We need that to this, I do need to see that because there's something about mister and Missus Smith that said an unrealistic standard for sex appeal in my life, then you need to She's.
Speaker 1: Listen. She at no point is any less beautiful. She doesn't. That's not bad. But what you do think is they've worn each other out.
Speaker 3: That's and I think that's what happens when as a couple, as a unit, you're too sexy. Eventually, eventually it's just that Plamee can't stay lit.
Speaker 2: But for so long it's too much sexy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was too sexy. There's a subcategory troubling bonus worrying why don't film you found arousing that you weren't sure you should?
Speaker 4: Okay, Dodgeball, Could I have follow up questions? Sure, if you need the context. I think it's yourself explanatory.
Speaker 1: I mean, I get it, I get it, I get it obviously, But I'm just wondering, well, in particular, if you had to narrow it that it was just the hell. I think it was.
Speaker 3: In the era of the we were making these live comedies that were built for teenage boys. They just were Yeah, and I was a teenage boy at the time, and I think I was having such a good time while watching the entire thing that I think you're as a young boy going through puberty. Your body can't really figure out. I'm having a good time. I just don't know why. So I'm gonna just respond.
Speaker 1: You but very excited just by the euphoria.
Speaker 3: Sure, and it was the right combination of things. It was the right kind of jokes, it was everything. I remember that I think that this is.
Speaker 1: So good, and your brothers will looking down. It's too good. You think it's too good.
Speaker 2: It's not that good.
Speaker 1: It's not that good.
Speaker 2: Great time.
Speaker 1: Yes, I like how you. I like how you show appreciation.
Speaker 3: That's one of those dudes who feels everything through every ounce of my body.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you gave me a standing ovation. I think that's a sweet Okay, the next question, I think you've answered. But let's see what is objectively the greatest film of all time? What is the pinnacle of cinema? Is it The Clumps? Close?
Speaker 2: Go on, tell me to America.
Speaker 3: It's it's The Clumps without trying to be a commercial. You have Eddie doing the similar thing, right, he's in the barbershop. He's arguing again with himself. But it was in this great period of time. I feel like comedies in the nineties where it wasn't trying to be too joke heavy. It really just leaned on Eddie experiencing the story and what the natural reactions were.
Speaker 2: And I'm a natural reaction guy.
Speaker 3: That's kind of my I love listening and responding and watching him listen in that film.
Speaker 2: It's perfect.
Speaker 3: It's subtle, it's big when it needs to be. You have a cast of people who were perfect, like absolutely perfect, I think even at one point, and that the dog is hilarious. The dog has a fourth wall look that it's spot on.
Speaker 2: It's like it feels like it was made in heaven, Like how does that?
Speaker 3: How do you get a dog to perfectly time a fourth wall break even happen?
Speaker 1: It's a really lovely I watched it again not long ago. It does really hold up and it's a really you're right in there, unlike some of those films. It's really quite lovely, Like it's quite sweet. It's very like a really kind hearted film. And it does have broad stuff in it, and it does have big set pieces, but it's very sweet. It's a very like, it's a lovely.
Speaker 3: Film, sweet simple man searching for the love of his life.
Speaker 2: It's to me, it's perfect.
Speaker 1: I have no notes, all right, right, what is the film that you could or have watched the most over and over again. Is it Hitch? Is it coming to America? Is it the clubs? Or is it something else? It's coming to America for sure. Hitches right behind it, though, like Hitch on Saturdays coming to America, Sundays and Tuesdays. Yeah, Sundays, Tuesdays.
Speaker 3: Whenever I'm like one of my of my when I'm I was putting on in the dressing room when our call times like five am, just like trying to be like, right, we're doing this, We're making comedy.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is I know why I'm up.
Speaker 3: But yeah, and in the front coming to America Hitch then probably Gangs of New York, the clubs. It's hard for me to watch as consistently because it just gets intimidate.
Speaker 2: I just get it, get to watch it. I just get frustrated. Without good he is being in it away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, all right. I don't like to be negative. We do this quick. What's the worst film you ever see?
Speaker 2: I've seen a lot of bad films. Uh, what's the worst film I've ever seen?
Speaker 3: I don't know if it's necessarily a film, but the worst experience i've ever had. Watching something is watching a lot of my own stuff. So it's a it's a it's a compilation of my stuff.
Speaker 2: That's what.
Speaker 1: Man. I hate. I get it.
Speaker 3: I hate the worst experience of my life. I have no idea why I ever work. Yes, missed jokes, missed moments of breaking or like, there's just stuff.
Speaker 2: I'm just like, why did you choose that? Or were you even in the scene? Did you think it's that?
Speaker 1: Does your face look like your face to you when you see yourself as really like, oh is that what my face does? I thought I was doing something else.
Speaker 3: Every single time I'm shocked every time, I'm like, is that what your thought that was? That's what you felt you were doing? Okay, all right, cool, that's interesting. But that's what you interpreted that at That's what I'll see.
Speaker 1: Oh it felt like this, but it looked like oh.
Speaker 3: Right, okay, so it just looks bad. Yeah. No, I have a big disconnect from what happens on my face to what I'm feeling. That's why I find it so strange that so much of what has made me successful is that because it never goes where I think it's going.
Speaker 2: Ever, Yeah, never do you have that always.
Speaker 1: I'm always surprised that my face looks like it looks in my head. It don't look like that, you know what I mean. And then whenever I see it, was kind of like, oh, that's your fucking face, and why is it doing that? I thought, because it's because when you're really in it, when you're really in it, you feel a certain way, and if you ask me, i'd visualize how it would look, and then you see it and you go, it doesn't look anything like I imagine.
Speaker 2: No, no, is that's the first one, is that what you look like. I can't pay attention. Honestly, I can't.
Speaker 3: I'll never be able to watch something that i'm in and enjoy it because the entire time I'm like, you really look like that.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 3: This is just while you're walking around and existing in the world.
Speaker 1: You think you think it's like walking around with that fight. That's what's on your head.
Speaker 2: And people enjoy this like they employ you on purpose. That's you.
Speaker 1: You are getting away with fucking murders.
Speaker 2: You really are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm never having a good time when watching anything I've ever done.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a great answer. You're in comedy, You're very funny. You're a bloody award winner for it. What's the film that made you laugh the most.
Speaker 3: It's a compilation of several Welfaro films and.
Speaker 1: They all gave you a by nu.
Speaker 3: Yeah, step brothers did it for sure. And I think part of what makes me laugh, particularly is when I can tell something wasn't on the page, when I can see two actors just kind of finding something in the moment, and so much of that film is that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's just so fucking stupid, and I love that.
Speaker 3: I love that they were willing to go there. There's been several times webin laughing. I'm like, I think I'm going.
Speaker 2: To throw up. That was one of them.
Speaker 1: That was one of them. That's nice, That's real nice, Thaila. James Williams, you been an absolute delight.
Speaker 2: However, Okay, it's always However.
Speaker 1: When you were seventy eight, your memoirs had come out after your dick at your post dickhead face, your memoirs came out, everyone was like, wow, this guy saw some things and he told everyone. For your friends still love you because they're all it's a long time ago that we were all having an affairs that you write us out on It's a long time ago. It was good fun. And you're on set season six of a show that you love where you're the comedy assassin on it, and you deliver this line, fucking kill a line. Everyone's shoulders shake and trying not to ruin the take with laughter, and you get that little buzz and as you do, you realize it wasn't a buzz inside you. It was the buzz of a light above you coming loose, and it lands straight in your head met a bit straight ahead, just goes straight into your brain dead. You fall down. Everyone screams, I'm walking past with a coffin, you know. I'm like, and I go, oh, I saw that noise. And I go in this handstage and everyone's like a gathered around you and they're all wailing and one's crying. What's happening to go with Tyler? Dane's willing to light just hit him on the head and he just done the perfect take, And I go, but will you filming? And they go, yeah, we'll filming. It'll be fine for the rat party. We'll definitely shout at the rat party. And I go, okay, cool, and I go help me with this and you're much bigger than I expected that. They say, so, anyone got one of them like fire acts here start chopping you up into into pieces and end up getting order to help the guys, I get all of your stuff in the in the coffin. The coffin is absolutely rammed. There's no room in this There's only enough room for me to slide one DVD into the side for you to take across to the other side. And on the other side, it's movie night every night. What film are you taking to people in TV Heaven when it is your movie night, mister Tyler, James Williams.
Speaker 3: The Natty Professor, the Crumps, And I'm ready to argue as I sold myself together. I'm ready to argue everybody down. But this is the greatest piece of comedy cinema.
Speaker 1: That fuck. You're gonna have a good time. You are going to have a good time, and they're going to be sad when you head back to Earth to do this all again. Tell me this, what should people look out for? Listen to watch out for with you in the coming months.
Speaker 3: I am on a show that is written by the wonderful and ever talented win To Bronson. It is called habit Elementary. I like to work on one thing at a time that has my focus for the next two years at the very reads. If you get a chance, turn it on. We've got some jokes for you. And if you don't, that's okay too. But that's where I'm going to be at.
Speaker 1: I am assuming if you're listening to this you have seen Albert Elementary. But if you haven't seen Albert Elementary, you have to watch Aubert Elementary. It is magnificent. Quinter Bronson is a genius. The cast is wonderful. It's a fucking brilliant show. You will love it. It will make you happy watch it. Tyler, what a pleasure. Thank you for doing this. And it's been lovely hanging out with you.
Speaker 2: I'm so happy we've only got a chance to just like converse because I had the feeling it would be a great conversation. And yeah, I'm not. I wasn't wrong on this one. Thank you for having me, man.
Speaker 1: Thank you for having me. I've enjoyed it so much, I've got a boner. So that was episode two hundred and eighty seven. Head over to the Patreon at patreon dot com. Forward slash break Goldsteam for the extra fifteen to twenty minutes of chat, secrets and video with Tyler. Go to Apple Podcasts give us a five star rating. But right about the film that means the most to you and why it's a lovely thing to read. Neighbor Marien loves it. You're very kind to do it. Thank you to everyone for listening. I hope you're all well. Thank you so much to Tyler for giving me his time. Remember to watch abbat Elementary Forever. It's fucking brilliant. Thanks to Screwby as Pip and the Distraction Pieces Network. Thanks to Buddy Peace for producing it. Thanks to iHeartMedia and Will Ferrell's Big Money Players Network for hosting it. Thanks to Adam Richardson for the graphics and He's lay them for the photography. Come and join me next week for another amazing guess. I hope you're all well. That is it for now, but in the meantime, have a lovely week and please be excellent to each other.