Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is the Players Lounge, broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts Barry Church, Heckma Harrison, and Newie Scruggs.
Speaker 2: Here we are.
Speaker 3: It is Thursday. Welcome to the Players Last brought to you by Aristocrat Gaming. You're in the SWBC podcast studio here at the world headquarters of the Dallas Cowboys of Frisco, Texas.
Speaker 2: He is heck Maherrison. I'm new Scrugs.
Speaker 3: The Cowboys are looking to win a home game, their first home game of the twenty twenty four year and twenty four it.
Speaker 4: Has not been good. It has not been good at home. That home that whole home record streak and all of that was straight out the window.
Speaker 2: They did not. They went straight out the window.
Speaker 3: Come the Detroit Lions, who were favored in this football game. The Cowboys lost at home to the Saints, they lost at home to Baltimore, and back in January the playoffs they got destroyed by the Green Bay Packers. So they're looking for a home win in twenty twenty four. Mike McCarthy was asked about as press copperts and and he said all the right things, what you're supposed to say, but happened.
Speaker 2: This is something that is not the norm.
Speaker 3: And I don't know if you checked out the color combination for the game.
Speaker 2: You've seen it.
Speaker 4: We're going blue. We wear'ing. I beat them up blues at the house. You don't like it. Yeah, it's a little superstition in there with you. When you saw that. When you saw the first thing you thought was it was the blue jersey, superstition hit you all.
Speaker 2: It didn't because that it was the Royal blue.
Speaker 3: It's okay, the Royal blue, the ones they couldn't win in you know when they had to wear them the nineteen eighty championship game in Philadelphia. Who never wore white at home and all of a sudden made the Cowboys wear that blue.
Speaker 2: No, it's not that. So now this is the navy blue that they wear.
Speaker 3: But still, I just think of a Cowboy home game, it's gonna be a white jersey. Yeah, it's just what we're used to it. And to see this and so part of me says, all right, are they trying to change it up?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Or is this money grab. I don't know. Last year.
Speaker 4: Last year, I believe that when we played the Allions, we were I'll beat them up.
Speaker 2: Blues is Cory.
Speaker 4: So I think that is kind of like giving little DejaVu all over again kind of scenario. So, I mean, we got to come out of there. We gotta wear our blue jersey. I mean, come on now, I mean we we are the team that kind of gets to pick what we you know, the white jerseys synonymous with the Star. You know, it's us all the time. So that's why I'm saying, like, it really didn't bother me, and I really expected it, especially with the you know, last season.
Speaker 2: So I'm cool with it. Chris Bean, producer, Chris being, You're good with it. Yeah, I'm fine. That's that's the same jersey ard last year when we beat them.
Speaker 3: So the number seventeen, the Quinsy Carter jersey right there. Yeah, that's just the number they used the card.
Speaker 2: Think of seven seventeen? Why did they use that jersey? Qu car Baby, Yeah it's your guy. You know, he had this moment. I mean when you think of seventeen with the capitals, who think.
Speaker 3: Of, yeah, what's the card? Man, that's the card I wasn't gonna throw. You know, Quincy return Quincy, Man, it's Quinn for me. For me, Chris Beam, you've been here for seventeen what comes your head?
Speaker 2: It's not gonna be Quincy. Who is it? Dwayne Harris? Dwayne Harris, That's what I'm telling you. Like teams the dread with the dreads hanging out the back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm just saying, but I don't. I mean, look, all of all of that aside. This is a This is a the schedulers. The schedulers didn't do you any favors. And that's what that first that's what that first place gets you the previous season, and man, excuse me, the next This season, we have nothing but a number one schedule, having Detroit back at home again, I mean, and it's been one of those it's been one of those games that has always been closely contested and it's come down to something happening, whether it was fumbling in the end zone in twenty twenty two, last year it was.
Speaker 2: The whole uh two point conversion, two point converts.
Speaker 4: It's always something between the Dallas Cowboys and the Detroit Lions. So I don't think that this is gonna I don't think it's gonna end. So I don't think it's gonna be one of those games where you know once I at least I don't feel like it's gonna be a runaway on side or another. It's gonna be a close game all the way for four quarters.
Speaker 3: So the home schedule right now after Detroit be the Philadelphia Eagles, Houston Texans Thanksgiving against the Giants, the Cincinnati Bengals, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and the Washington Commanders.
Speaker 2: So there's no gimme right here at all.
Speaker 3: And you could say the Giants, but you know, we saw the Giants when they played the Cowboys were moving to football. They just couldn't get a touch, they couldn't get a red zone, but they.
Speaker 2: Were moving the football here.
Speaker 3: So there's no just oh, slam it easy here. It's gonna be a challenge, man. All these games down here for the Cowboys, there are there is no gimmes.
Speaker 4: No week to week league And I mean the next home game you said Philadelphia, trust me, they are gonna be waiting.
Speaker 2: The Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: I'm really As the season goes on and the narrative kind of starts to right itself. That Houston game is just getting bigger and bigger and bigger as the season goes.
Speaker 3: You know, I mean you think about the bye week. You gotta go get two road games out of the Bible. Oh absolutely, at San Francisco, at Atlanta. There's nothing outside of Carolina. There's no like oh yeah, yeah, yeah, got that one. You can't And for anybody's thinking the Giants, is they just easy? Gimme, don't do that. It's at a Vision game.
Speaker 2: You never know.
Speaker 3: Cowboys with one to fifteen that one year and who they beat. They beat Washington, So you don't know. You cannot take any of any for granted.
Speaker 2: All.
Speaker 3: Hey, defensively, Aaron Glenn, former Dallas Cowboy, he's a defensive coordinator for the Detroit Lions. Here, what does he need?
Speaker 4: First of all, Aaron Glenn is really good as a d C and he's finally getting the guys that he's needed to make his defense viable. He's one of those guys that has obviously unleashed. I'm not gonna call that Aiden Hutchison. I'm not calling that man that today.
Speaker 2: He's gonna.
Speaker 4: He's gonna unleash number ninety seven. And look, I think the way that they play defensively. Of course all the attention is going to go to Aiden Hutchinson, but they do so many good things up front as well. I think defensive lit the point of attack, at the nose and at the three, they have guys that can hold up. I mean, you're trying double team these guys. They have not allowed a one hundred. They've only allowed one one hundred yard carrier ball carrier the entire season, and that's what you know. Look, that's how championship teams are formed. You have to be tough upfront, and they do that. I mean, but I think on the back half is where they made the most improvements. They have some guys back there that I believe, you know, are really sturdy, and I wouldn't call them shut down by any means, but I just feel like that's the marked improvement from what they had last season coming into this season.
Speaker 3: Last season when Ceedee Land went for over two hundred yards against them, things have changed. They've improved upon it there, but still their their defense starts up front and they're they're going to make life hard for you.
Speaker 2: So one good thing.
Speaker 3: I would say, if you're the Cowboys, is you had the Steelers last week and you were able to establish some run, You're able to do that twenty carries alone for for O Rico Daddle here, So that that to me when I just think about how does how does Mike McCarthy and Brian Schottenheimer, how do they start to attack Aaron Glenn in this football game?
Speaker 4: Well, what I mean, I think for sure the signs of life that you've seen for Rico Daddle does give you the I guess, the support that you need to come into games and believe that the Dallas Cowboys can run run the ball. I think that you know what's going to be apparent to me is if they can keep some semblance of balance. All right, Obviously, you know break glass in case of emergency.
Speaker 2: If you're fourteen point first quarter.
Speaker 4: They scored two rushing touchdowns on year, you might have to throw your whole game playing away and just go just air raid the whole game. That's what we don't want to be. Where we want to be is trying to keep Rico into the flow of the game. We have to try and attack them on the edges. We gotta go at Aiden Hutchinson. That's important. But also we've got to find a way for Cavente Turpin to get him involved in this game on screens. That's what my man BC been begging for. Can we get him involved on these screens? Can we get him involved out in the flash And I think that's where guys like Hunter Lipke and other guys can exploit this Detroit defense that is really tough. I mean, they are really tough.
Speaker 3: Going back to the fact that they haven't won a home game this year. In the calendar year, all three of those games the Cowboys were basically done by halftime. Yeah, the game over right, the competitive phase of the game was darn near over and you were down in these games by halftime here, So you can you stay in the game, yeah, you know, can you keep this seven point range by the time halftime gets here? I mean to not let it get out of control, because when you talk about trying to establish the run game, it's hard to establish it when you're down fifteen to twenty points. Throw you already know that you're in a hole. So they've got to establish that right there out of the gate. Just hey, guys, can we keep this thing close?
Speaker 4: And also not only that, but the balance of making sure that well, I think you come into this game knowing that Detroit's going to run the ball on you a lot.
Speaker 2: I mean, whether that's.
Speaker 4: In between twenty five to forty times is my guess, and that's a wide range. But I think Detroit understands that this Dallas Cowboys defense can't stop a cold, a nose bleeding. They may have gotten some things under control the last couple of weeks, but I think what they with the position that Ben Johnson puts them in with motion and all of those guys blocking. Look, man, this defense has to be up to par to getting it done on each level. And for me not having Michael Parsons not having tanked, that makes this job even more difficult. The degree of difficult goes up. And I think even with your injury report yesterday, I saw Eric Kendricks on that report, and I, like everybody else, I'm sure y'all freaked out because you don't want to see the guy that has had such an impact on this defense not playing a game that you definitely need his impact. And so I also for zim against that, against that passing game, you're gonna have to disguise your coverages so well, you're gonna have to do so many different things to throw golf off and play that mind game with him. I mean, it's gonna be a real big back and forth man that the strategy between offensive and defensive coordinators. Even for Mike McCarthy going up against Glenn Like It's it's gonna be something to witness because it's gonna be a ton of gamesmanship and the way that they hide these coverages.
Speaker 2: When I think about trying to keep it close.
Speaker 3: A part of this, heck is how long the defense has been on the field and these losses at home. I mean these losses at home, they have been out there. And that's where Mike talks about complimentary football. You have to be able to stop the run if you're the defense, and you have to be able to run the ball there. But you're right, Dan Campbell and his coordinator Ben are going to come in here to run. How do we establish the run? Can Bozzie Smith turn in another performance? I mean, this is where you're at now. You need him to show. He has shown, so you need to see this one more time here. I just wonder about is there anything in the room where guys are just like, hey, we have to protect this home. We have not done a good job at home. And you know you got family work for the Cowboys. People buying tickets, people are coming out here, your family, these players, they're coming in for these games. You don't want to go on home with an L. I mean, and look at the l's they have taken this year in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: It's been bad. These are not the l's. You go home, everybody's quiet.
Speaker 4: No, no, you know you're giving up four hundred yards in those gas. I mean, and that's when you give up that many yards, there's no way that you can expect to win, period. And the way that teams ran the ball on I just go back to that Saints game. It was a demoralizing loss. They didn't just beat you, they beat you down. You went back and you turned the tape on it and was like, oh brother, h and all over the place since right, But but not only But I'm just saying that set the stage for everything that you are worried about right now, because the Saints pretty.
Speaker 2: Much they took the you know, they took the cover off of you.
Speaker 4: It showed everybody, look, they soft in the middle, like Michael can't get Michael can't take the heat when you run at them. And every team has attempted at that. And that's why I questioned the pitch count when it comes down to the running game versus how much they passed, because the teams that have had success running the ball against the Cowboys have continuously running forty times thirty five times. And I think, you know, if Detroit would be foolish to come in here with any other game plan.
Speaker 3: Foolish, They're gonna run it. Dan Campbell's a former tight end, former Dallas Cowboys. Well you're gonna come in here run you know.
Speaker 4: Look, what's your opinion? Let me ask you, what is your thoughts on personally on Dan Campbell as a coach and the success that he's had so up to this point.
Speaker 3: I think Dan has done a good job of putting his players any position. They have a culture, something that's been a real problem around there, and outside of Jim Caldwell in the last twenty years, they've struggled a lot there.
Speaker 2: So they have an identity.
Speaker 3: They've got a good general manager who's gone out and drafted very well, and he's drafted the kind of players that fit Dan. They know who they are, They're going to run the ball. They put resources and draft picks into the offensive line. The quarterback was kind of the biggest question mark, but they protected the quarter back all day long with a good offensive line, with good running backs. They've used first round picks on running backs. Some people say, hey, running back is irrelevant. Not in Detroit. They've said, no, no, we want that. We're taking a running back in the first round. We don't care what you say. And there are a lot of people who question different picks.
Speaker 2: Like Jack Campbell. They're like, oh that guy really Nope, did the right thing.
Speaker 3: So I think Dan Campbell has done a very good job of working with Brad the GM, Brad Holmes. They know what they want, they know who they are. They go out there every week. They fight you. I know, we had the press conference about bite legs and that made all the you know, that made for fun conversations.
Speaker 2: But they fight you.
Speaker 3: And when I look at this football team, this is a team that would not shock me if they were playing on Super Sunday in this division, in this in this NFC, where so many people had just so many people had thought, all right, it's gonna be the Niners one more time.
Speaker 2: The Niners.
Speaker 3: The Niners are I won't say broken, but they've got some they've got some broken parts of their team and they're trying to fix right now.
Speaker 2: Detroit almost beat him.
Speaker 3: It was some questionable coaching moves by Dan Campbell himself down there at Levi Stadium last year, she said, And the team.
Speaker 4: And that's why I asked you the question about him as a coach and how you feel. And my number one word that I think of when I think Dan Campbell is culture. I think of that that you talked about. And unquestionably, his teams are going to be what competitive, They're going to fight you for four quarters. They've kind of taken on his DNA. And I give Holmes, his general manager in him, a lot of credit they've taken because they've draft. They've had a lot of high draft picks because of the failure of the organization and finish it. But at some point you got to hit pay dirt is my is my thing. Sometimes at some point you got to put a team together that is going to be functioning. And even when they got golf, they recognized that, look, we can't just depend on this guy's arm. That's what got him out of LA. We've got to put a running game behind him. But my thing about him is is really kind of weird. Is last season teams like the Lions. Last season, teams like green Bay. They got hot at the right time if they I mean, think about think about green Bay the beginning of the season and what they did at the end of the season. They went on a pretty much in historic run. The same thing happened for the Lions. They got hot at the right time.
Speaker 3: That's sports man, no, no, But I watched the Mets last night.
Speaker 2: It's you know, how important is that.
Speaker 3: Philly had a fantastic regular season in baseball?
Speaker 2: Fantastic.
Speaker 3: They got that bye week, got a couple of days off, Mets kept on playing, got hot at these they actually that's been hot, the hotter team than Philadelphia since the since the second halfened. They just kept on rolling, rolling, And that's what we see the maps. Absolutely remember when they were like an eight season Valentine's Day like they ain't getting no candy and they go to the finals. So you're right, you watched two teams out of the North that figured it out.
Speaker 2: Here we are, we're rolling.
Speaker 3: And you know, if you're the Cowboys, I think around December you could look at there's some there's some there's some gettables in December to Cowboys. So maybe they get that there. But I just think that's sports in general.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: You just get yourself, get it together, figure out that.
Speaker 3: But I also go back to this, that's coaching to me, Okay, that's what as a I just grew up a big college basketball fan. It's because where I lived, you saw the best teams in March, the coaches who could get them ready by March. All right, you know, hey, we're doing working on things, working on things. We're getting there. And while the Cowboys thud of Green Bay in the playoffs, it took away what Mike did. Remember the first four weeks, We're trying to run the ball. Ceed he wasn't getting the ball. He wasn't happy. Then right around that after that Niner game, the Cowboys won on the strip run. And while Philadelphia started off ten and one and they got out, the Cowboys caught them and won the division. So they they did their part in getting hot and getting it together here. But you know, it ended so badly. Nobody wanted to talk about that, and I go back to that's coaching. I think Dan is figuring out how to be better about making some coaching decisions in games like that.
Speaker 2: That's his Achilles hill. That is his Achilles hill right now.
Speaker 3: But man, you look around this league, you might say that's about seventy five percent of these coaches we watch what's.
Speaker 2: A terrible decisions.
Speaker 4: So but wait a minute, though, I mean, the thing is that in the truth that you're talking about is the fact that we've probably seen more coaches go forward on fourth down now than there's ever been at any time in the National Football League. The fourth and two is just the nextra down to try and get the first. It's not an automatically punt down. And for me, when I come into this game, I know that dan Quinn, dan Quinn, dan Campbell has the potential to give you one because of his decisions.
Speaker 2: I mean, coaching is that lost art.
Speaker 4: And I swear to god, you look in college, don't even high school pros.
Speaker 2: It is a lost art.
Speaker 4: So many of these guys that come out and they just think that they can cheat the game by making decisions and doing things that nobody's ever seen before.
Speaker 2: You can't coach like that.
Speaker 4: And Dan Campbell lost them that NFC championship by his coaching decisions.
Speaker 3: And it's ironic because he faced Kyle and a Hen who just waited to make his coach in London.
Speaker 4: So right, they take turns, they take turns.
Speaker 2: Imagine that. Watch this. Oh ma, Bia, I got you. So you're right, but this is this is an epidemic across the league.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and what is what has been Mike McCarthy's thing. I mean the people have had questions before, like, man, come on, in game decisions, how do you make that decision that cost you?
Speaker 3: I mean recently when we had a guy who coached well and two Coaches of the Year awards, his nicknamed Riverboat Ron Ron Rivera before he lost his job. I mean, so it's an epidemic out there. It cost it cost him. All you can do is say, when does he get it? And hope this isn't the week. If you're a cowboy fan, then he doesn't get it. But yeah, he's got that in him, and some of that comes from working for Sean Payton. Yeah, and he's what you're saying, sewn Sean Sean is a gambler.
Speaker 2: Shawn's a gamber go back.
Speaker 3: Just go look at the Super Bowl when at the onside kick against the Colts and that helped them. So but we do we just have so many people going forward so much. All right, let's get our first break in here. Tyler gydon full participate in practice, so it looks like he's gonna be a go Let's talk about the Cowboys rookie left tackle as he gets ready for a challenge on Sunday against Ivory LT. He's heck Maharrison News shows players lots brought to you by Aristocrat Game. Hey there, Cowboys Nation.
Speaker 5: Kyle Yeoman's here sharing that same team that brought you Buffalo bringing NFL casino games that show America's team on.
Speaker 2: And off the reels.
Speaker 5: Aristocrat is changing the game with a new experience football fans. This means you can pick your team and play your team. Check out the Cowboys theme casino games developed by Aristocrat, A Brown sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Gambling problem, please contact the US National Problem Gambling Helpline at one eight hundred gambler that's one eight hundred gam b l e R for twenty one over.
Speaker 6: Hey, Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, but lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, Don't worry. Even us pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 7: Rushcott keatshit slides with the.
Speaker 6: First down, invest like your icons where everyone is a rookian crypto with blockchain dot Com perfect throw.
Speaker 4: My goodness, wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 6: Visit blockchain dot com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 5: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order, plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy wipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash.
Speaker 2: Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 8: Are you the twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Fan of the Year. The Dallas Cowboys and Captain Morgan are celebrating extraordinary, inspiring and original fans. Nominate yourself or the biggest Cowboys fan man you know for a chance to be named the twenty twenty four Fan of the Year and win prizes including a trip to Super Bowl fifty nine. Visit Dallascowboys dot Com slash Fan of the Year Go Cowboys to the Players Lounge.
Speaker 4: This segment was brought to you by Yetti, the official cooler and drinkwaar of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Hek Maharrison Tomorrow we will have our Yetti cool customers.
Speaker 2: She went not tomorrow, right, yes week.
Speaker 4: Church is out right man. That's that's kind of how it goes when you can jet sit and do what you do.
Speaker 3: When Schatkan gives you that much bag, the bag that keeps on giving and giving.
Speaker 2: I'm mad at him. I ain't mad at him.
Speaker 3: My mayor BC chy Con had a lot of contracts out there in Jackson, Herbi Meyer sitting around Chim there's a whole lot of folks who.
Speaker 4: Who are what you see the man from from the Jets. His deal sala sala, I talk about not crying. Really, Ah, man, he working with a bag. I'm talking about bag.
Speaker 2: Bag. It's to go, a bag to go. I want that money, Williams NBA.
Speaker 4: Bag Yeah that one too. Oh, let's not forget about a guy from Texas, A and M. Now he got the He's he's the poster child for getting the bag on the way out of door.
Speaker 2: Jimbo got the bag.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was doing twenty million with like the first forty or sixty days they owed the school old and twenty million. Then they'll do the rest out of in bias. But I mean money, wills, what do you get one year in Detroit and then he got he got bounced. I mean the man's got some serious I would dare say money and Jimbo might be there together with how much money they're old to not do it. And see Jimbo's sitting around here trying to apply a comeback.
Speaker 2: He ain't plotting no comeback. You even heard from him?
Speaker 3: Oh you no idea he's plot what So he was doing one of those those saddle radio interview. Yeah, I can't remember what your serious channel. I was listening to you could hear it.
Speaker 2: He was breaking on that speculation.
Speaker 3: What this, this is the challenge. It's all these guys know, play golf for a year or so, hang out.
Speaker 4: Crazy then like yeah, yeah, now for sure.
Speaker 2: I mean, your family not gonna let you yell at him like they're yelling kids.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 2: Trust me. I know you know you got.
Speaker 3: Nobody yell at listening to you, Nobody jumping, no, no, no, Booster club is cheering you nothing.
Speaker 2: Then you just go on to the store. He's a regular dude.
Speaker 4: I mean, but you know, I think the way that guy played, I felt like, you know, sometimes it's almost good for some of these guys to go away for a little while, let the game miss you and let people start asking about You're starting to see even now, slowly but surely, Gruden trying to work his way back into I'm just saying, but you see it though, you see I understand.
Speaker 3: I say my head to anybody like, don't do that, don't do That's what I'm just saying that with that guy, all you have to do is start laying the seats.
Speaker 2: All it takes is one.
Speaker 4: All it takes is one, you know, Then you start talking about justice, mercy.
Speaker 2: And all that stuff, and then he make you make the move. I'm just saying, come on.
Speaker 3: When Mark Davis gave out that deal, I was like, that's bad. Ten years, hundred million, What.
Speaker 2: Are you doing? What are you doing? He's not that in full control.
Speaker 3: That's that's the other part of this that people forget you let this man run the whole operation. Like no, no, some of these guys need guardrails, especially him. We saw what happened in Tampa Bay once Doungee left. He won the Super Bowl. Then he started trying to get all this stuff done his way. It went nowhere, and the Raiders did the same thing like you under Jack del Rio and Reggie McKenzie was a GM. They're winning, they were winning. They went to not winning and giving away draft picks. I mean, like the Amari Cooper, we're just giving him what you got a one out of it. But Dallas was three and five at the time, and Mariy Cooper came there, helped make the playoffs and and they misuse the pig Khalil Mack misuse that. But that's when you let a guy like Grutin do it. So that to me is one of those things when I see anybody listening Toohn. No, no, not unless you have a strong general manager, because some of these guys are just trying to let run these teams.
Speaker 4: I mean, And the thing about it, as we were talking about Dan Campbell, you think about what teams are doing now to safeguard themselves against that by not giving complete control to the head coaches. You have to have a solid GM that could kind of separate some of the madness. And I think that's what ended up happening to being the demise of Belichick in New England and the fact that Hemocraft was just not seeing out an eye. But there are coaches like that that really don't have that sound judgment of putting together a team that's gonna be a winner.
Speaker 2: You see at every level.
Speaker 4: I mean, come on, LSU, there are those schools out there.
Speaker 2: They're bringing coaches.
Speaker 4: They think that a guy's certain mistique that he has no matter where he goes, failure is gonna follow because he's always gonna have a culture that's messy. He's always gonna have, uh, you know, some dissension amongst us there. It is stuff, drama, whatever you want to call it. And you've seen it through a lot of coaches and guys get second opportunities and other guys don't.
Speaker 3: You have to ask yourself the tolerance of what it is this, what what the baggage the person brings. I love Larry Brown to death, perfect example. And you friends got him like, hey, you love Larry, but understand n c A.
Speaker 4: Is coming Larry Wright. He don't write checks. He got the new fresh bills.
Speaker 3: Here and on horses, and he ain't coming in.
Speaker 2: And they already know how Larry get out.
Speaker 3: And oh, by the way, you should tell everybody on the roster, nobody put student in student athlete like Larry Brown.
Speaker 2: He's on a team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're now student. You're now a student because you're no longer an athlete on the SEB basketball?
Speaker 2: Who is that? It's not Cali Perry. Who's the other guy? Man?
Speaker 4: Was that Saint John's had the Adidas contracted?
Speaker 2: What is his name? You know we're talking about? Is he has an Italian last name? Louis Carcer?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I can't just say was it Saint John's? He was either was Saint John's? Faw I'm trying to think of the coach. I can't, but I just Caliperry. He's in that line of guys that you know, whenever you give him a college job, he is good. Look what's coming after that is he say to get some kid from the Bronx. Is a kid coming from Upstate New York. He's gonna get a baller that. Everybody's gonna say, how the hell did you get this kid to go to Upstate Kentucky's how.
Speaker 2: Did you get him at Memphis? Boom? That was Yeah, he leaves Chicago.
Speaker 4: You mean tell me he left Chicago to come to Memphis. Yes, yes, that's what That's exactly why that's a classes example.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so yes, I mean there's no doubt in Arkansas. Okay, guess what it's gonna be some stuff. It's gonna be some stuff at Arkansas gonna win. There's gonna be some stuff. You know when you hire Lane Kiffin, you know that the press conference, he's gonna say some stuff. It's gonna be there. It's gonna be there, and you get it, and I laugh at it at times. I do laugh at it. But Robert Sala's got himself a bag. And if anything, Robert Sala I could see him maybe returning to the Niners next year. If you know how things find, you know what he had the forty nine ers were. They were good under under Slay. Yes, they ended up going to Super Bowl with Steve Wilkes, but but he had a wilkeson and Shannahan didn't get along. Salah and Shanahan got along. So you know how this thing goes. People go out and they hire the people they know, like you trust. So Bill Belichick consistently rehired people. You know. Josh McDaniels left, brought him on back, Matt Patricia left, brought him on back.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is what they He's a solid deef as a coordinator, and I would think that's what they do. I would they for a guy like Salah, he would probably be chomping at the bit to try and get back into the head coaching ranks, you know, Like for me, Mike McCarthy's never going to be an assistant coach anywhere ever, just because he's he's so established as a head coach in.
Speaker 2: Fifteenth and wins all time.
Speaker 4: No no, no, But maybe he's not the guy to give the example love. But I mean there's just some guys out there that have had head coaching jobs that don't return to be position coaches, they continue to be head coaches.
Speaker 2: That's one of those.
Speaker 3: That's a tough job to rebound from. Todd Bowles is. I've seen two dudes who've been fired from the Jets where you say, okay, they came back to rise again. Todd Bowles who ended up, you know, last year with Tampa Bay making the playoffs, and then Pete Carroll.
Speaker 2: Yeah after that, everybody else after that, man herm. It was.
Speaker 4: And I think sometimes with Adam with Bowls, people know he got a raw deal. I mean, and he's a good coach, and everybody vouches for how good of a coach.
Speaker 2: Todd Bowles is.
Speaker 3: I thought that was really more Bruce arians that helped set that up for Tom the way he left. He left in ways like hey, Todd's the next guy. I mean, Bruce set that up there that Todd was able to to go do it and and and you know Tom Brady had no issues with all me.
Speaker 4: Versus left Witch or somebody else like that, right right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: He set it up for Todd, and Todd was Todd was a good coach with the Jets. There was a it was an old podcast that Jim Trotter did with my boy Steve Wish, and they had Todd on. First off, the stories were hilarious. He talked about when he coached in the Whack and he had to work security for a juvenile concerts, A yeah, drive and play all this kind of stuff that you know what he had to work at this back level man. But he spoke about the Jets and he said, in his own kind way, there's a lot of things that I didn't know because so many people say, oh, it's only thirty two jobs. Take him and some stuff over there that I had I known. And then one of the issues became too wh he and the general manager weren't aligned. General manager wasn't good, wasn't good. And but you're in New York. You're going to take the hits. You have at times take the hits because that's the responsibility of being the leader. But Todd went to Tampa Bay helped them win the Super Bowl. Bruce Arians left it so Todd could come in there and do his thing. And so clearly we see you and I know taking coach. Yeah, you know, Todd was coach playing for Joe Gibbs, coach under Bill parks that we know this. But you go to a place like the Jets were you have bad ownership. Woody Johnson's been out of twenty five years. He's not a good owner. I mean, come on, bad GM, good luck, you got to run out. I'm sorry, Chris Bean, Bryce Petty is a quarterback.
Speaker 4: No, don't do that, you preface this.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, but but he did. I mean it didn't have much.
Speaker 4: I mean, you go all the way to guys like Calwell when he was at the at Detroit and the job that come on now, I mean, it's just I'm just saying, the jobs that these guys end up taking and what what eminently ends up getting them fired doesn't coincide with the coach that you talk.
Speaker 3: So you talk about Jim Calwell, who who took them to the playoffs, had them winning, won a division of I mean, so Jim was a really good coach. And so they bring in Bob Quinn, one of these dudes who gets to hide like he was a part of building the Patriots. So he gets hired and then he's like, you know, nine and seven is not good enough here, and he fires Jim after a winning season ninety seven.
Speaker 2: He goes and hires Matt Patricia. We see Matt.
Speaker 3: Patricia got hired. They took out some some sexual assault charge he had. They tried to trump them what happened years ago, but it happened right. So that's from day one in embarrassment. They never make nine and seven. They never do anything. It's a total take jobs Patrice. Now give the owner credit. She fired Matt Patricia and the gym Quinn you go to, everybody go. Then she brought in Brad Holmes, and they brought in Dan Campbell and Chris pilmanth that trifacta has worked. But man, you you get the wrong GM out here, and they fired a good head coaching, Jim Caldwell. I mean, before Jim got the job, he was the guy in Baltimore who took over and helped Flacco become Super Bowl MVP. He was he was the play caller on that Super Bowl. Jim has been good for Peyton. Manning talks about how good Jim was, and and it just it boggles my mind about how things go.
Speaker 2: But Robert Salid coming out the Jets, I don't know how. I don't know how he can escape the sea.
Speaker 3: Mike McCarthy had a tough time actor Aaron Rodgers. Okay, the Jets told him, not Cleveland told Mike Note.
Speaker 2: It took him a year. It took him a year, and then then he.
Speaker 3: Had to go on that that whole I mean, remember now he called Peter King of NBC. He started working his way back in and todm Pellison to come, hey, look at the barn.
Speaker 2: He knew what to do, right, but it had it was a pr campaign.
Speaker 3: Go on, Tom, a guy who won a Super Bowl, a guy who's a legitimately really good head coach, had to come up with all this because the.
Speaker 2: Jets and the Browns are like, oh no, he got it done.
Speaker 3: And clearly he's come to the Cowboys and he's done a really good job.
Speaker 2: But it gets hard.
Speaker 3: And this is a Super Bowl head coach who had to deal with this and what Aaron Rodgers left and the kind of like he didn't know what he's doing. So I don't if that's happening to him. I don't know how Slah's getting back here. You know, look, if you ha had to hire Sola tomorrow, what would you be selling here?
Speaker 2: I wouldn't. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know what I tell my but that's what I'm saying. Maybe give it time, That's what I'm saying, to give it some time, especially if defense was your deficiency.
Speaker 2: That's why I say you got to go back to the forty nine.
Speaker 3: I mean, let's say, and I'm just let's say at this point in time, Cincinnati misses the playoffs and they decided to make a coach just just wildly throwing it out there.
Speaker 4: It wouldn't be Sola, right, No, no, no, not not that. I mean no, he couldn't bounce back like that, but it maybe he'd take a break and people remember, like, dude, this this dude.
Speaker 2: Got a raw deal.
Speaker 4: Look at the quarterbacks he had, look at the defenses that he built.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, revisionist history is still pretty good. You know. Jack del Rio thought that was going to happen for him.
Speaker 4: Jackdale Riel made a lot of pr mistakes as well, so that I'm just saying. I'm just telling you there's a guy who he had he had to winning run Jacksonville, and he had a winning run with the Raid.
Speaker 2: He thought he really like, I'll get Jesus again. Yeah, third time. We've seen many a dude in this league get a third chance. Wade Phillips, North Turner.
Speaker 3: Marty Shott, and there's a lot of guys been on that that three time run.
Speaker 2: Mike Shannon, he thought he was going to get another shot. There was like no.
Speaker 4: It's like Rex, Ryan, they've grossly underestimated that marketability and how much they would be needed in the future. I mean, they can't get up from behind that asking they want to.
Speaker 2: Rex got bagging sign.
Speaker 4: It says we'll work for food. Rex sit Rex says them, ain't got the job yet. I don't know about that.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: That something boy, that boy that's ha hate. Yeah, the big don't beg like that man, I's gonna it's gonna breaking.
Speaker 2: Second. Let's get the Tyler ge I took you, I took you off the rails. Let's get Tyler the Cowboys left tackle.
Speaker 3: Who is a practice Yesterday's do that next right here on the players just bought you by Rich crack Gaming.
Speaker 2: Hey Danny mccraig here for Smoothie King.
Speaker 9: You know, every great workout deserves a great reward, So treat yourself right with new coconut smoothie bowls made with real fruit crunchy purely Elizabeth Granola, creamy coconut, and top with the chocolate, hazel nut or honey drizzle with two new flavors. It's perfect for you and the workout buddy, so you both can stay on track even after you leave the scoop up new COCOMs, movie bows Only a Smoothie Ky, the official smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 7: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer hand cramp and cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster cane cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yetti Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on Yetti dot com. Check it out today. YETI official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 10: To kick off the twenty twenty four NFL season, Boss teamed up with the Cowboys and Micah Parsons to launch an iconic apparel collection. The Boss Cowboys collection unites football and fashion while reflecting what it truly means to be a Boss. Arriving just in time for the start of the season, the distinctive attire from the latest Boss Cowboys expansion offers sports officionados and true bosses the chance to show their team spirit and style. Get yours today at nflshop dot com, slash hugo Boss Hugo Boss dot Com and Boss retail stores hashtag beer on Boss.
Speaker 11: Raising Canes presents the other rules of football.
Speaker 2: Rule one.
Speaker 11: Any broadcast without the express edition of cook to Order Cane's Chicken Fingers is prohibited. Rule twelve no crinkle cut fries, Texas toast or cravable cane sauce constitutes an illegal formation. And Rule thirty one anybody who loves to feed their game face is an eligible receiver of chains when it comes to winning game day, Caines rules Raising Canes Chicken Fingers one Love Go Cowboys.
Speaker 2: To the Players Loud.
Speaker 4: Celebrate the best Autumn season with Wranglers Fallfest at the Star in Frisco. Join us on Saturday, October nineteen four day full of Fall fund for the entire family, enjoy live country music, hang out in the beer garden, and compete in Western inspired games plus capture fall photo ops. Say savor seasonal bites, and enjoy wranglers. Shopping and missing admission and parking is free. Visit the Star District dot com for more information.
Speaker 2: All right, Heller Harrison and yeah, appreciate keep that. I'm gonna keep this. Take the photo of it. Yeah, on your phone. Uh we scruggs.
Speaker 3: This is the players Lines, brought to you by Aristocrat Gaming. So, last time we saw Tyler Geiiton the Cowboys left tackle, he left the field against the Pittsburgh Jeus with an injury. He's back on the practice field yesterday and it looks as though he's pretty much training that he should play Sunday against the Detroit Lions and their excellent pass rush released the league in sacks ivory LT eight nutches.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, this is this is probably one of those weeks that everybody is uh uh. Our trainers are looking at him very closely and saying, brother, if there is any swelling, if you got a little bit of a limb, we're not gonna You're not playing this week. We're gonna live Tyler Smith go ahead and take that left tackle start, and we're gonna let TDJ. Bass play the guard position. We're nicked up, man, We're hurt all across the board the Cowboys right now as a team. If you read the injury report, it's like it's a who's who of who is injured each and everywhere. Every day you can give those veteran days off, but still when you come back and you watch practice, you notice that there are other guys not practicing because they're dealing with an injury. So look, offensive line wise, you're gonna need You're gonna need Tyler Goiden longer in this season. If the young man is not healthy, uh and ready to go, especially with all the things that he has already been dealing with psychologically mentally. Look, this would probably a good be a good time to give your young rookie arrest and let him get healthy.
Speaker 2: He's playing Coach Jones Show, so he's playing.
Speaker 4: I mean, it wouldn't it wouldn't surprise It wouldn't surprise me newly. But we know how things change when it gets to game day. So that's when I'm that's one of those game day things that I'm gonna be looking at how much can he go? Because look, I mean, don't worry. This is if you don't look at this as a challenge for him, I promise you in two weeks he's got both of comment. It doesn't get it doesn't get any easier, right, So all I'm saying is, let's get this. Let's get this kid healthy and good up for for the next game, because if not, we're gonna be dealing with this all season long.
Speaker 3: Just by all accounts, practice yesterday, he's gonna I like, I would be shocked if he wasn't out there starting on Sunday. Okay, The question I kind of go into is what's playing b along the way in terms of let's say he gets hurt again?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, is it is?
Speaker 3: It gonna be the same as last Okay, flip flip Tyler Smith out to left tackle and and and been bringing basket guard.
Speaker 2: That's that's what I wonder. Man, We've already talked about.
Speaker 4: I mean, we got into the depth, and I think the juggling act you get is what do you do with a guy like awesome Richards? What do you do with Chuma Doga? What do you is it with let's go, who is it that you're gonna bring, especially if you say he guiding is and not inactive on Sunday? Who else gets a jersey on game day? Or if he's healthy and you may and he may not be able to go the whole game, who's the other guy that you give a jersey to?
Speaker 3: Richards was up last week, and so I would say that it's gonna be well, let's go. Who would grow up if Guyton doesn't play? But at this point in time, I just I just assume he's going to be there. We do have Thursday night football hack Man see San Francisco forty nine ers who were on the struggle bus lost at home to the Arizona Cardinals. They had a lead, lost it. There are in Seattle and Seattle. I don't know if you watch any of that performance against the Giants, but it was awful.
Speaker 2: It was it. Well, this is bad, So give me the forty nine ers twenty six to fourteen. I see you, just all right?
Speaker 4: So I just had a conversation off air with with Chris, and Chris sold me, and then you just reminded me that they just lost. Seattle just lost to the Giants, which was also a very embarrassing loss. But I think, man, when I watched the forty nine ers, they don't look like Kyle Shanahan's team. And I think King Christian is Christian McCaffrey that much of their identity because I don't recognize this team without him.
Speaker 2: I'm going, I'm going to Seattle at home.
Speaker 4: I'm going, I'm going to Seattle at home, man, And they're missing that, they're missing their safety.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna go.
Speaker 4: Twenty twenty four twenty this game all right?
Speaker 3: After losing a home and being embarrassed like that, I just think that you have to respond, Christian, what a church happen?
Speaker 5: Church had Seattle twenty four to seventeen.
Speaker 3: Twenty four, seventeen. Okay, So I'm gonnaeinst the grain again. So it had been working out for me lately.
Speaker 4: Because he lived dangerously, livedous. I'll do it again. I'll do it this the only man I know double down though.
Speaker 2: But by the way, is the top dog in the standings this week. Good for him, man, Good for him. It just happened like that sometimes. Yeah, good for him, man. As long as he was snatching myself, that's what man.
Speaker 3: Forget them standing hole boys in his own mama kicked him out of his house because he was taking stuff from the family and making him making him understand that the Cowboys won that Sunday night game.
Speaker 4: I want to know who you're gonna pick tomorrow. That's who I want. That's why I can't wait to get back here tomorrow to fit. But you don't go by the sheet of integrity. Don't don't give me that. Do not give me that. Don't give me that.
Speaker 3: Okay, I paid for not going by my sheet of integrity last week.
Speaker 4: But like I just said, you will double down. You the man, You double down, So it's all good. I don't do it newly, all right, don't do it? Okay, heck ma Harrison. Let's do it tomorrow right here, Yes, sir, I strutched Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: I come ready.
Speaker 8: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.