Speaker 1: What is Up Dolphins and welcome to the Draft Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis Wingfield, and on today's show, we continue the free agent analysis. Plus we're gonna have our first two chats with brand new Miami Dolphins. James Daniels and Larry Boram joined me to talk about their addition to the Dolphins offensive line. We'll also break down the tape on Zach Wilson and Ashton Davis, formerly of the New York Jets, from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is the Draft Time Podcast. Magie Jaffe, It's up, Dolphins. Welcome back into another edition of free agency here on the Draft Time Podcast as well as Dolphins YouTube channel. My guest today is new Dolphins offensive lineman James Daniels. James, welcome in man, Thank you.
Speaker 2: I'm excited to be here.
Speaker 1: You finding a way to run the building all right down South Florida, all.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, yeah, I mean the building's pretty big, really nice facility, and so yeah, it's been it's been nice so far.
Speaker 1: What's your first first impression here of South Florida in the month of March. Not too bad right.
Speaker 3: Now, It's not too bad. It's way higher than in the Midwest. So it's been The weather's nice. The sun is really really refreshing.
Speaker 1: Iowa, Chicago Bears, Pittsburgh Steelers. You're like used to having snow on the ground this time of year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, each weather.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 3: I've seen shorts and like tank tops and March is crazy, you know, so that that's pretty exciting.
Speaker 1: We have some folks on staff. You'll never see where pants around here. That's always shorts and shortsleeve shirts. So yeah, it's always. The weather's definitely a big selling point. So I grew up a Dolphins fan, James and my guys were Ricky Williams, Dan Marino, Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas. But one of my favorite players of all time is actually related to you. And I just learned this Chris Chambers, and you go way back.
Speaker 2: Huh yeah, yeah, way back.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He's one of my cousins.
Speaker 3: And it's actually funny, like growing up, like I never really fall the NFL. I always fault Chris just because you know, he's my cousin. And whenever he would play in like the Midwest, like where my family was living, like he would always give us tickets to games, and Chris has been like a super good resource for me in the NFL or like when I was in college or just a whole bunch of stuff. Chris has been a great resource to me. So it's actually really cool that like seeing what he how successful he was for the Dolphins, and like how many, how much fans, how much the fans love him, how much like people around the building that know them love them.
Speaker 2: So it's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: I used to post on message boards and my avatar for the long time, longest time was him doing his first down signal that he would do after he'd make big catches. That's my guy.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: The fifteen catch two hundred and thirty eight yard game he had against Buffalo, that's a franchise record. I think maybe it's still I'm not sure, but he was. He was a stub man to say the least. So yeah, let's go ahead and get into some of your football stuff here. So you know, every time I talked to a player who's coming off an injury, had the Achilles injury last year, they tend to say, like that rehab process is, you know, kind of like lonely and can be like dark at times, but they wind up coming out of it with like a like a new appreciation for the game and for the process. I'm kind of curious if you've experienced that or just how that whole process has been for you.
Speaker 3: I would't say it's really been lonely, like I've had like obviously, like I've been back home with my wife. I have my wife, my two cats, and like they always support me. But like I have a really good like PT. I have a really good like gym staff that I've been with ever since like a week after my surgery, that I see them five days a week, and like they've been they've been helping me a lot. But also like when I have like a lot of lone time, like I like I'm a reader and like I love to learn, Like I'm big in the science. And it's like I did like a lot of research on like Achilles rehabs and Achilles, like tenant studies, ten and opathy, those studies like ten and night studies, Like all the research that's been out there, like on Achilles tendants. There's not much of it, which is actually kind of crazy. There's not much, But like I've done like a lot of research on it, and I'm just trying to like do that to like help speed up my process. And I think I've been like doing a good job so far, and so're excited to just keep on rehabbing and keep on progression.
Speaker 1: You think there be more out there. It's a pretty common injury in football, right, I mean that happens a lot.
Speaker 2: Actually, to be fair, no, it's really not.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, there's probably like ten fifteen Achilles injuries every every year in NFL.
Speaker 2: And the expert.
Speaker 1: I'll defer to you that.
Speaker 3: It's not like there's not and that's like and that's the hard that's like the hardest part. Like it's not really it's not really that much of an understood like injury. And so yeah, like every research that's been out there, like I've read, I've read all of it, and so like, I think it's been I think it's been pretty helpful.
Speaker 1: So you're more of like a text reader than like a literature I do.
Speaker 2: I do both.
Speaker 3: My wife and I we've been doing like book exchanges. I read on a kindle though, and she reads like paperbacks. But I should I should start reading, honestly, I should start reading paperbacks. It's better, just like to have like the physical book, like you be more immersed in it than like reading on like a screen or like iPad or something.
Speaker 1: Like going to the beach and reading hard hard copy is always like one of my favorite things to do out there. So it's a good place to do.
Speaker 2: And you can do that in March here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you definitely can't. I think my family's going to the beach like next week. You can go around. It's it's pretty awesome. So you've played ninety career games in the National Football League. I'm just curious about how that value of all that experience, Like what does that bring to the Miami Dolphins with James Daniels having ninety career games.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's just like I've seen. I've seen a lot of stuff I've seen, like like talking about defensive like I've seen like a lot of defensive trends, like change, like defenses do like a lot of stuff different when I came in the leaked than what they do now. Or like players and seeing like different type of players or like similarities and players. But like I feel like the best thing about like playing so much football is like if we're playing a defense and we're running a certain play. I can look at like Chicago Chicago Bears game in twenty nineteen, it's exact same play versus exact same type of defense. I'd be like, hey, I was left guard. Hey the left guard got beat here because he did this, and so talking in twenty twenty five, I'd be like, hey, like left guard here, like don't do this or this is exactly what I have, what I did six years ago when I got beat on it.
Speaker 2: And so it's just like it's crazy.
Speaker 3: It's just how like sometimes like football is different, but still it's still all the same, and like it's really nice, like I can watch a game.
Speaker 2: From twenty nineteen, twenty eighteen, twenty twenty one, you know.
Speaker 3: And so I think it's really just being able to bring that knowledge and like experience to a room. It's huge because as like a young player, my older player in Chicago I look up to. I played next to them, Charles Leno and Charles Leno. He was a guy who would like text me clips and be like, hey, like JD, look out for this, look out for this, and you know, and that's why I try to be to the younger players like I try to be the vet that Charles was to me.
Speaker 1: That was a question I had for you because Spencer Anderson mentioned that about you last year in a locker room interview that I saw. He was saying that James will fire off texting me and the other young guy Zach Frazier and Mason McCormick. Like, here's another clip from from James saying like this is what you look at right here, So what like why do you do that? What obviously came from your from your veteran experience was next to Charles Leono, But like why do you play pay it for?
Speaker 3: I think I think it's just helpful because, like I mean, I don't know how.
Speaker 2: I just don't know.
Speaker 3: Because watching film, watching film is a lot more than just like turning on the film and just clicking through the place. There's so much things that watch that happened, certain plays that if you you may watch the play three times, you don't see it. And so like when I'm like at home, like studying film, like I always try to make sure like Okay, I may understand this, but there's a whole bunch of people like this is kind of a niche topping. Not everyone understand this. So like if there's any type of like even I even send like obvious stuff too, Like if it's an obvious clip, I still send it, like, Hey, this is a huge thing that people need to pay attention to. So I'll take a video and look at I know one. No one usually responds, but I know they see it. They say, hey, no one will saw it. There will be like eight video clips in the world. There won't be any responses, but they've seen it, and they'll like, like the next day they'll be like, hey, what made you see this or what made you send this?
Speaker 2: And so I feel like that's always been helpful.
Speaker 1: They gotta throw you a thumbs up or a heart emoji on that man, just just to tell you that they saw it. Like that streusses me out as a text or myself, like just tell me you saw the text.
Speaker 2: No, they see it.
Speaker 3: They see it, they acknowledge it, just in a different way, just a different way stuff.
Speaker 1: So you touched on something that I actually I find very fascinating as I do my podcast and research NFL, you know football as much as I possibly can, there's shift and trends of like teams that played a lot more you know, single high presentations in the past, where now it's like too high, you have to run the ball because we're going to play off and invite the running game. Like from your experience, how has that kind of shifted the the mindset of an offensive lineman or has it?
Speaker 3: I mean you just have to know. It's like if teams are constantly playing too high, I mean, the easiest way to lose games big explosive plays. I mean, just look at statistics statistically, I mean, if you have big explosive plays are usually coming from passing plays, and those in passing those can change games. And so teams are just like defensive league teams are just realizing, hey, we're just okay, we may give up one fifty rushing, but if we're not giving up the forty fifty sixty seventy yard touchdown passes, we could still manage the game. And when defense gives you something, it's like when they're playing single high. If they're playing single high, because like when you're running the ball, well, they're gonna play single high, and that's when we have to kill them with the pass. So like we understand, like offense lineman should understand that whoever the defense gives you like, that's what you know, that's what you're gonna have to do.
Speaker 1: You got to take advantge of it. And I don't know, I'm sure you're aware of this, but we have a couple of guys ten, they were ten and seventeen. They force a lot of too high coverage that we have a lot of long touchdown makers here in this offense.
Speaker 3: I remember we played here, We played here in twenty twenty two. That game, right, yeah, in the that's a brutal loss.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: But the first drive, the Dolphins first drive of the game, I just remember I was just looking. It was like five yards, five yards, twelve yards, twenty five yards, ten yards, ten yards touched out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like it was.
Speaker 3: It was so efficient, I was. It was crazyer his motion and like plays. I mean, it was, it was, it was. It was pretty impressive.
Speaker 1: My experience is the OPSID was like, yes, yes, yes, touchdown, all right, there we go in the end zone right away off the top. So yeah, you'll get you'll get to enjoy that here firsthand with the Miami Dolphins. I just want to keep asking some philosophical football questions because you're so good at this uh. I like the idea of offensive line play is something that I think has also shifted over the last ten years or so. You see guys like come out of college and it's like get to the line of scrimmage, you know, run the snap and get back to the line scrimmage, like don' huddle, don't finish your block maybe or don't maybe don't worry about as much, whereas like in the old days it was like, you know, play through the echo of the whistle, and in the NFL it's more like huddle up, finish your block, play a certain style. Like do you see that difference? And like how is that kind of impacted the way guys develop, you know from rookie year to year eight?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: I mean it just been the that's the biggest thing for I think offensive lineman is like one who their coaches, two what their scheme is, and three the players around their scheme, because like if you're you could be a super talented offense and you see it all the time, like you have a super talented offensive lineman, but he doesn't have a he doesn't have a good coach, and he just doesn't develop or they're playing in the scheme like, not all schemes in the NFL are created equal. There are schemes where there's large margin for errors or offensive line and I think, like, I think it's just unfair that like some offensive linemen are they're playing in schemes that are they're super critical and they have to pretty much play perfect for the team to be successful. And then the third thing is like the players around them. It's like, for example, like I was lucky when I was in Chicago while I was left guard, I had Cody white Hair at center and that Charles Lyndho at left tackle.
Speaker 2: They were both Pro Bowl players.
Speaker 3: And so like they helped me so much and they taught me the game, you know, and it's like you can, like I feel bad. There's like sometimes there's rookies who come into the NFL and they don't have players around them who can help them. They have players around them are struggling and she's very hard to develop. Like I don't think I would be an eight year player if when I went to Chicago if I had people who weren't successful players around me. And so like I'm glad that like when I'm here that like no matter who's at center or right tackle.
Speaker 2: It's like I can't. I know I'll be able to help them.
Speaker 1: That must be why you pay it forward so much. You kind of, oh, you're not your career, but like a lot of appreciation towards those guys. So speaking of the scheme, you must be thrilled to be coming here because watching your tape, Man, the way you get out in space with some of the nastiness too. But man, we run the outside zone plays and we get eighth and going out in space, like, you got to be pumped to lead that guy in this offense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the scheme is sick. It's super cool.
Speaker 3: And then I mean the weapons, the weapons on offense or a like are really good. So I'm really excited. I'm really excited to play in it.
Speaker 1: Okay, enough football talk. I want to talk about your Instagram page, not yours. You mentioned your two cats earlier. I found the Instagram page. Man, tell us about being a cat dad, because I told you off the air, I have a ten year old cat. She's like the queen of the house. She takes a lot of crap from the four and the two year old in the house of the humans, you know, but she's she's like the queen of the house. So tell me about your cats.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm actually I wasn't. Originally I wasn't into cats. Oh, I'm actually allergic to cats. I had dog growing up. But then my wife when she was in grad school in Saint Louis and then I was I was with Chicago, she was in Saint Louis loan and so she we decided to adopt a cat for her so she wasn't like alone all the time. And then a couple of years later she was like our or so our first cat we adopted.
Speaker 2: Her name was Kerma. We adopted it from a shelter. And then I was.
Speaker 3: In camp in Pittsburgh and she was like, I know, like Kerma's game lonely. I think she needs a friend. And so she went to a shelter and then it was off day. I'm taking a nap. I have like five missed calls from her, and she's like, hey, like I found a.
Speaker 2: Cat to adopt. I found a cat to adopt, kind adopt.
Speaker 3: I was like, I was like, I don't know if you want to yeah, And then yeah, then we got second one. Yeah, I've been two years later, three years layer after we had after we got Kerma, So yeah, we have two cats, Kerma and guitar.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 3: Kerma could be a little bit she can be a little bit nasty sometimes the guitar is a little bit nicer than me. But they both love Aaron a lot more than they loved me.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, Usually it goes like the data is resistant to like the new cat or dog purchase. Then a month, Larry, you see the cat like on the top of the guy's head, like they're just like inseparable. So that seems kind of how it's been for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the cerone, she'll get close to me, but like anytime I like try to touch or something, she'll like like run away, not run away, but like walk away to like where I'm auferent range.
Speaker 1: Very good stuff, James Daniels. I think the fans are gonna love getting to know you. Man. I appreciate your time today. Thanks for talking with us. Sure, and there he goes. Let's go ahead and take a break right there, come back and talk to the other offensive line acquisition, Larry Boram. That's next here on the Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation. What's up, Dolphins? Welcome back into the Draft Time podcast as well as the Dolphins YouTube channel for another chat with a free agent signing from the twenty twenty five class new Dolphins offensive lineman Larry Boram. Larry, Welcome in man. How's a how's Florid treating you so far?
Speaker 4: It was great? Weather's amazing. Place is amazing.
Speaker 1: You get the short time, right, a little different than Detroit and in Chicago from Detroit. Played his ball in Chicago as well. And yeah, you got some nice weather. You can go to the beach any times soon, maybe a little bit today, Yeah, a little bit all right, that sounds good. So I had a chance to meet you earlier in the cafeteria before we had the interview here. Not a bad little set up over there for some food.
Speaker 4: Hunh oh, No, it's great. It's amazing.
Speaker 1: What'd you have for breakfast?
Speaker 4: Some eggs, potatoes and thesausice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's every day, there's always a lead food over there. So it's we enjoyed that quite a lot. So you began your career in Missouri as a guard, right, your first start was a guard, yeah, and then you kicked out the tackle a little bit. Uh, and then you do the same thing in the pro as you play tackle, poyso guard. All of this question is designed to basically ask you, what's the value in your experience of having so much experience at different positions across the offensive line.
Speaker 5: I thought, the more you can do is everything in this league. You got to be able to one not just be one dimensional, and be able to know the whole offense as a whole from every position, to be able to be flexible and go in and if you're called upon it, left.
Speaker 4: Guard, right guard, tack or whatever like. You got to be able to do that. There's a lot of value with that.
Speaker 1: That seems to be like almost uniform in college football and the pros nowadays, like guys cross train right, play, tackle, guard, guard, center, because it is thought of as like a collective unit more than just one guy doing a job like you're thinking about all five. Is that kind of the idea behind that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I think it makes it easier to to learn, you know, I mean, if you know and understand what everyone's supposed to do, then you have a better understanding of the whole fiction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it makes perfect sense. So you come down here and watching your tape man like your foot quickness for a guy your size is like whoa, it jumps off the tape. And when I'm watching you, I'm thinking, like that fits what we do pretty well. We run off the football here on the offensive line. How excited you to play in this scheme and how do you think it suits your skill set?
Speaker 5: I think I'm one, I'm very excited and I think it suits me very well just the way you guys. Everything is done here as far as the play call and the offensive schemes, everything.
Speaker 2: Is very so.
Speaker 1: Last year I asked Tron Armstead this question in training camp about because he had played in New Orleans for so long that it came here and got to play in this you know, the Shanahan Tree system that as I guess dubbed And I asked him, like, what do you love about playing tackle in this offense? And he said, they really do a good job making the offensive lineman feel like playmakers. Do you kind of feel like that's kind of how this offense works. They make your tackles and your guards can be playmakers and go out and make the big play that kind of springs the touchdown.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, I agree with that. I think it's it's a lot into it that allows us to be that playmaker and.
Speaker 1: A lot of Yeah, what do you think about the skill pieces that we have down here with obviously Tyreek Hill, Jalen Wattle, Devon a Chan just brought Nick Westbrook, Akina In, John Smith, Jalen Wright, like the Lake Washington. When you think about all those guys that can put the ball in the paint, like, how excited you get about that?
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm very excited. Is Nope?
Speaker 5: Those guys are are speezers. They can get up and down of itill is dope.
Speaker 1: Do you like when you're playing in the league? I know, like you're so busy with your game planning and your your meetings and stuff for that week, But do you like catch other things go on? Like you did you see the Dolphins over the years, Like, man, that offense.
Speaker 4: Is is clicking.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm one that I actually enjoy watching football still, like even during the seasons, just seeing how the teams do a lot of things. Yeah, this team has always been a I'm like, man, that's that's nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been fun to watch the last couple of years, especially two years ago we were just like scoring thirty five points every game. It seemed like, so you come down to this offense, and you know, you played again in Missouri, played for the Chicago Barriers, now you're here in Miami. And we've kind of seen this trend in the NFL over the last few years, where like maybe for offensive linemen it takes a little bit longer to develop and become like the best versions of themselves, like we had Austin Jackson had like a big breakout year in his third season, a very young offensive lineman in the first round for us. Is do you think that that's kind of a trend in the league in terms of how guys developed, Because I was talking to James Daniels about this before you came in here about how like in college just coach more like just get to the line of scrimmage and get to the next snap because we're trying to go fast, right. Do you think there's a difference in how that is played compared to the pros And how do you think that impacts like players like yourself, for instance, and your play to develop your game.
Speaker 4: As a pro. Yeah, I think it's a pro.
Speaker 5: It's a lot more like you said, a lot of more development into it, and in college it was just get to line, next play, next player. Everything gets so fast, but it approaches a lot of a lot more time to really focus on what you need to do individually, and I think development, especially for me, like fight. I'm a younger player, still twenty five, fight my best balls out of me. So I think that's definitely a good trend.
Speaker 1: And reading some of your background on some stories on Chicago Bears dot Com and stuff they're talking about like kind of where your drive comes from and you don't get complacent and you like got to the league and it's like okay, now it's time to go to work, right, Like where are some things you do to make sure that you're always like striving to get better and not being complacent.
Speaker 5: Just my work ethic just as a whole, stemming from when I was younger. For my mom, she works seven days, he was a waitress's the whole nine. Like just seeing her do that really instilled in me too. There's no you're not set anywhere, and like whether it's football, just.
Speaker 4: In life in general. So that's that's really why you get got wrong.
Speaker 1: So I assume that when you got drafted, you probably were with mom.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I was back on Yeah okay, and then.
Speaker 1: When you got this the contract for the Dolphins, did you like, was she probably your first call?
Speaker 4: And guess yeah, yeah she was was it was. He was very excited.
Speaker 5: We've we've been through a lot of things in the past couple of years, and just she was the static.
Speaker 1: So you played high school football obviously, but also the hardwood too, write basketball player back in back in the in Detroit, right, So tell me about how your basketball experience helped you on the football field.
Speaker 5: Everything just with for work, being able to just move in general, that's that all comes from basketball. But I didn't start playing football until my high school year, my freshman year high school.
Speaker 1: Okay, so yeah, because basketball like playing defense, right, It's like man, you hoop, and on the offensive line, it's like, man, you quarterback, right, Like same idea, same concept. So I'm fascinated by your background, man, because like at Missouri you majored in pre engineering.
Speaker 5: Uh yeah, yeah, I began in pre engineering that I went into business and then finished.
Speaker 2: With sports as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, but I mean that's like that is no small task. Like I had a buddy that was an engineer major at Washington State go kooks, And I'm like, he was just so much smarter than me. Like everything that he did was like he was just a wizard numbers and stuff. And I think about that and like how you know, we think about quarterbacks is having to be smart, but you talk about like the collective you know of the offensive line these days, and like you have to be pretty smart to know landmarks and like how you're gonna pass off blocks? Like how do you how do you think being an intelligent person helps an offensive Lineman's everything?
Speaker 4: Half the battle is getting to the line of scrimmage and.
Speaker 5: Knowing what you're looking at, knowing to play called, oning what you have to do, and using the five brains as one. And so that's that's everything.
Speaker 1: How do you feel your processing as an offensive lineman has grown from your rookie year to now, Oh tremendously.
Speaker 5: A tremendously just taking in all the mom I rook here it was I had JP and a rom Jason Peters and that was a blessing and he taught me a lot. And being able to get to the line and think like, okay, play call what I need to do, and just little things at the line to really help you build from there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very cool. So watching a lot of the tape of the guys we brought in, including yourself and James Daniels, like, toughness seems to be a bit of a theme behind those guys. We think about toughness on a football field, like what does that mean to you?
Speaker 4: Uh, something'sn be a lot of different things. It can mean the traditional like just.
Speaker 5: The physical part of it, but I think it's also like the effort part behind it. Like I think effort falls into toughness, and because you have to want to put in that effort, in that grind to it, I think that's a big part of it.
Speaker 1: Okay, so football obviously comes first at all times. But you're down here in South Florida, gonna get some time off here coming up? What's the first thing that you can't wait to go do as a new South Florida resident?
Speaker 4: Beach and golf.
Speaker 1: Beach and golf. So we talked about Golfriller and who's gonna come up?
Speaker 5: You just got into it, right, Yeah, Yeah, I've been into it for like the past like seven months or so, like a year.
Speaker 1: How's it going?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: Not good?
Speaker 5: But it's just the vib it's so have some good has some good holds as a bad once.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean you can get out there year round down here so you can get you can really sharp up the game of the off season. Man.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Larry Boram new Dolphins offensive I'm in pretty sure times man.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: James Daniels, Larry Borum both in the can here. In terms of their Draft Time interviews. Fun to talk to those guys. Man, what characters they are, especially James. Right, let's go ahead and take a break. Great there, come back on the other side and get you not one, but two analysis on free agent acquisitions. Zach Wilson, Ashton Davis. That's next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation. Quarterback Zach Wilson, whose career resume dates back to the second overall draft pick in twenty twenty one out of BYU to the New York Jets. He spent three years there before last season going off to the Denver Broncos, where he did not play any snaps. He's a six foot two to two hundred and fourteen pound quarterback who will be twenty six years old in August. His injury history He had a PCL sprain that cost him four games in twenty twenty one, a meniscus tear that cost him all of the preseason and three games in twenty twenty two. He missed time late in twenty twenty three after a concussion. He also tore a Laborman High school and broke a thumb in college. Twenty twenty and twenty twenty four were the only years without an injury for Zach Wilson since twenty nineteen. He might recall twenty two twenty four, he didn't play a rep the entire season. His statistical profile twenty three touchdown passes, a twenty five picks. It's a two point two percent touchdown rate, a two point five percent interception rate, neither of those very good. Fifty seven percent completion, six point three yards per attempt, thirty seven percent success rate with a seventy three point two passer rating, and he's taken one hundred and thirteen sacks a's say, ten point two sack rate, and he's twelve and twenty one as a starter. None of those very good. He never posted a season with better than a thirty eight point five QBR. He had seven point eight air yards per attempt, twenty one point one percent bad throw rate, a seventy two percent on target throw rate. But he did have fifty five scrambles with an average of eight point nine yards per scramble. He did not have any athletic testing in college because of the COVID season. His contract is a one year, six million dollars deal, which is roughly when I did this, and it was on Monday night, so it could be different. Now, it was the thirty second most apy for a quarterback, but we're also talking about guys coming up on their second and third years of their contracts and the rookie contracts that would push him more close to the forty range. And this is the exact same contract we're talking about here with Tyrod Taylor with Marcus Mariota. Again, if you factor in those like eight to ten rookie year contracts or rookie contracts, I should say he becomes like the fortieth highest paid quarterback, so a top quartile backup quarterback, which is kind of what you need with Tua. At least that's what the investment tells us. The film probably something different, but that's kind of the mold of where you find backup quarterbacks now right, their former failed first round picks that are looking for that redemption arc. That's what it is these days. Otherwise you're just probably not much of a player. You're probably more in the form of a Gardner Minshew or a Mason Rudolph or a Josh Dobbs, guys that just don't play the position very well and don't have much upside. Now that's the information the black and white, cut and dry, just data poll from Travis Wingfield here on the Draft Time podcast. Let's go ahead and get to what you really came for here the verdict. You know, a couple of weekends ago, I taught a careers in Sports class to high schoolers at Saint Thomas University. They were at the program for the weekend, learning from folks like myself, and I was telling them about how ideas come at all hours of the day. That idea came late on Monday night when I was thinking about how to stack these free agent reviews, and I was like, I'm going to play the People's Court Verdict song before every single film reviews. So here's what I knew about Zach Wilson. He was a gun, shy, timid decision maker with a penchant for retreating against pressure, bailing on footwork and clean pockets at the first sign of danger. The game has always been too big for him. In the flashes of pro day style plays that made everyone fall in love with this guy for the second pick in the draft, they show up maybe once or twice a game while he leads a slog of an offense for one hundred and seventy yard ten point output every single week. He was drafted where he was because of a shortstop arm with plus scramble ability to create outside of structure, and there were glimpses of that as a pro, but that was with the Jets. He spent a year backing up bo Nix, working with Sean Payton, Joe Lombardi, and Davis Webb in Denver, and my pre free agent draft report or freegency report I should say, was that he was frenetic in the pocket, with an inherent nature to retweet against pressure, has no trust in his protection due to a lack of processing power. I'm not sure he understands the checkpoints he has to get through pre snap, what presentations look like and how they're set up to get different looks from the defense. He has a fun arm, some scramble ability, but he can't even maximize that because of the horrible spots he puts himself into as a drop back passer. Perhaps he developed this stuff for the first time in his career working with a competent play caller and quarterback room, but it would be a hard pass for me. That's what I wrote back in January February. I also know that Albert Breer tweeted the quote based on what people in Denver were saying about Wilson after the season. Don't sleep on this move end quote, so that maybe you want to find out exactly what the hell that means. Unfortunately, we got no evidence of it on tape with zero snaps played in Denver, so we're stuck to pick some things out of his Jets tape as well as some preseason Broncos tape. Here's what I wanted to see when I cracked open the evaluation on Zach Wilson. His third down reel. That's where you always start with quarterbacks third and long. How do they pass when the defense knows the pass is coming. Games where he came off the bench, big games, because he has had some statistical anomalies where he kind of went off in games. I wanted to know what the case was in those situations, and then of course some of his Broncos tape, even if it is just preseason. I needed to see if the pressure was a protection thing exclusively. I needed to see what type of energy he brought is a backup, and I knew he had those three or four games where he went crazy. I wanted to see what was common across those games, and of course throughout all of that, how it translates to our offense. Here's what I found. The pressure and protection was a pretty even split in terms of blame to be passed a round, but his ability to play the position in New York was just non existent. Brother not taking the information the rotation would give him, Like even when he got deeper into his career, he would step up into a pressure, he would try to create or make matters worst. He would play the position in this very programmed way, where like he would feel pressure against teams with good blitz schemes or a sim pressure where you know the pocket is perfectly clear and fine, and he would like step up into the pressure or quickly check the ball down to a player who was well covered in the in the coverage scheme and have like no on the fly ability to adapt to how that particular play went. I'll never forget high school basketball are head coach always use this example of how to run the clock out at the end of games, and he was like, you know, we run the offense to drain the clock, but if they spring a league and you catch the basketball with a free run to a layup, go take the two points. And he'd always compare it to like, you don't see a receiver, you know, just go down or out of bounds when they catch the ball when there's trying when they're trying to drain the clock, they go to the end zone if it's there for him. Although that's kind of changed in recent years, but that's what Zach reminded me of, Like he was the kind of guy that, oh, we run the offense that's dranned the clock. Let's just go ahead and do that. Even if the guard slips on the floor and I have a chance at an easy, uncontested layup, I'm still gonna run the offense because that's what I was told to do. That's how I evaluate his game. There's no like adjustment or feel for what's happening on the field itself, feeling just that constant bit of urgency or I guess phrenetic energy. I should say, like, my rules are one two three, so we're gonna go one two three, regardless of of the variables the defenses throw at me. The only game of his career off the bench was the twenty twenty three opener when he when we thought he was going to be holding a clipboard for the whole season, and then just four plays into the year, he's back in the saddle and he looked like you expect him to look in that spot, like, oh s staying it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: The athletic ability is nice. He can get you a first down or two per game with a scramble, but it creates more negative than positives, and it's a bit over sold in terms of his creation, Like he can get flat footed and then can't immediately change directions, which I think is the on field application of athletic ability that sometimes gets lost with these players' workouts, Like it's clear he kind of gets concrete feet in those situations where he labors off of a spot and winds up taking these massive hits, like we saw Bradley Chubb damn near take his head off down here a couple of years ago. He often has to gather before he makes his escape, and I just think that's from all the end decision. He's also not going to be part of any short yardage or two quarterback packages. Not that we expected that, but I thought it was the possibility with guys like Mariota. We'll see with Jaln Milroe and the draft guys like that. Right, My biggest thing that I can hold on to was I thought when he played in rhythm, when he got his footwork right and identified the read and played within that rhythm, he drove the football with confidence. It's a tight spiral, it's very sharp accuracy. It hits the guys in the numbers with a little downwards reject makes it easier to catch. I have to imagine a year of jeweling that. With Sean Payton helped, He'll be one of the guys I'm watching closest in Ota to see what we have there because I don't know what it is because I don't have a twenty twenty four profile to go off of. If you can play with your feet and rhythm to the offense here, you're going to be all right, it's very tough to do. We've certainly seen that be the case. And then if you can do that with plus physical skills which he has in the arm and the legs, then you can really amount something special. Something this offense really helps him with. Also is where you get these clear indicators to help him play more in rhythm and on time, something that typically happens with good fast route runners. Right, you can better see leverage or have and play with more confidence off the leverage of the defense than what he has done in the past because of what we have here, and they are few and far between. But when he trusts it and he rips it, he has some really pretty shots. He had a touchdown pass to Alan Lazard on third and eight in the mid red zone against the Chiefs back in twenty three where he threw it off the overhead hang backer widening before the eventual break in route of Lazard into that hole anticipation throw. So there is like some modicum of example of it on tape. It's just very few and far between. Now, that's as much as I can give you because the majority of the tape is him just blatantly neglecting the information the defensive rotation gives him. You know, a cloud cornerback sinks into depth and takes away the over route that he's working and doesn't think about that sinking corner, leaving the flat wide open and never gets to the running back all alone on the swing route and takes a sack. Or the next series has a clean pocket, developing routes and just goes to the checkdown right away because his bad internal clock said the ball has to come out now, even though nobody was there. He was just a broken player there. So those glimpses were there more in Denver practices. Do we think we can get more of that? This really feels like a I can fix him type of signing, which I guess I advocated for in the idea for Trey Lance. The next good football we see Zach Wilson play will be his first. Hopefully we never have to. And two would just stays healthy. I just had to see something from the Broncos because the Jets tape was what I remembered, and to me, after watching that tape, it's like, Okay, it has to be that we're going off the Broncos time because I know it's the preseason, but the entire operation was so much cleaner. I saw him hit the top of his drop mechanically aligned to his reads. The feet were hardwired to the eyes. I saw him pump and get his feet and his shoulders to the target and then come back to the actual place he wanted to go, some actual defensive manipulation. You know your boy loves that. Where he helps, I can see the outside chance of developing a talented skill set into playing more on time and in rhythm this late into his career. With effective communicators in that quarterback room, he'll get the coaching he needs. Finally, why was he available? Well, he's not been good. I think he wanted a chance to go somewhere with a better pathway to playing. Because in Denver they had nixed the entire year and he's played a lot of games in college. It hasn't missed time. It's more likely to play in Miami because to his injury history. This category of why was he available is more for the bigger time signings like the James Annuals of the world. You know why Zach was available because he hasn't been any good. My classification for him is replacement level player with the hint of upside. So he slots in as your number two quarterback as it is today, and at that price point, he's going to be your backup in twenty twenty five, almost had twenty twenty four, and there's some upside there to potentially build. But yeah, you got to imagine that. It's going off of what they've heard internally from Denver and the progress he made there, because with the Jets just wasn't that good. Safety Ashton Davis is up next. He was a third round draft pick of the New York Jets in twenty twenty out of cal He played all five vis NFL years with the New York Jets. He's six foot one, two hundred and two pounds, and he turns twenty nine in October. His injury history missed two games last year with a concussion, He missed three games in twenty twenty two with a hamstring injury, and missed the last part of twenty twenty and the first part of twenty twenty one with an injury that was never disclosed. So he's missed some time here and there as a part time player. His statistical pro file sixty nine games, twenty two starts, has not eclipsed three hundred snaps since twenty twenty one. He played seven hundred and forty five snaps that year, which was his highest snap total. His second highest snap total was his rookie season, when he played four hundred and two snaps. Hasn't gone over three hundred since twenty twenty one. As a career. Career numbers one hundred and seventy five tackles dine of those for loss point five sacks. He does have eight picks, fifteen passes defense, three forced fumbles, and four fumble recoveries. He does find the football I must say the athletic testing profile. Another he didn't work out. I thought it was for the COVID year, but he actually just was injured and didn't work out that year. He also got a one year, two point five million dollar contract. It's almost the exact same deal as Jordan Poyer. So take that as you will. And now let's go ahead and talk about the verdict. Now, I knew that Ashton Davis was best displaying range from the deep host as a single high center fielder. That's not to say that he didn't play down low. In fact, he has more box snaps than free safety snaps in his career, and maybe that's where the Jets went wrong. But perhaps with all the cover three cover one that we get into that we rotate to, and with melafan Wu patrolling down low, maybe the idea is that he's an affordable backup option to camp out twenty yards off the football all game and use those center field skills, those one hundred meter college National Championship winning skills in that center field position. I had a first round grade on him coming out of Cal because of those ball skills, because of the range, and because of his versatility. He was a really good nickel cover option at Cal. He would play some will linebacker and obviously safety as well. Now, when I did this report, the league was more of a single high presentation. And the way that's changed things for backs and wide receivers and definitely quarterbacks, I think it's changed it for the safety position too, perhaps enough to kind of change the landscape for a player with that type of skill set and for the worse where he's playing a little bit more in the box. And again we didn't get workout metrics, but he's a very springy athlete. In fact, we do have something tangible. He was the PAC twelve one hundred meter champion and a second team All American in college, but he hasn't played a ton in the league. So I wanted to see how he was in run support, how his coverage has been in the nickel, and his feels for playing zone and split field safety looks. And here's what I found. The coverage is not very good. They used him a lot in the slot as the big nickel. They'd go sauce and read and then Chuck Clark and then Ashton Davis and like LaMarcus Joyner or anybody else back there at those safety positions. But he was always the third safety in the game, in for Michael Carter when he was injured, and he would sneak down into coverage and it was just I watched the first three reps on his target reel on NFL Pro, and right off the top, he gets out leveraged by Deebo Samuel. That's fine, an eight yard catch is fine, but then he misses a very routine tackle and it leads to twenty more yards. Fast forward to the Buffalo game and he gets flat footed on an option wheel route by Ty Johnson and gets smoked to the back pylon, but Josh Allen misses the throw literally. On the very next play, he's in slot coverage against Matt Collins, who is like the seventy fourth best receiver in the NFL, and gets absolutely toasted on a double move for a touchdown a little crossover step. I think the feel is a challenge, to say the least. I don't think he has well defined landmarks in his repertoire. I don't think he's processing color that flashes in front of him, like you know jerseys the way like you kind of have to process and a sport that moves this fast is like the color of the jersey. So if you have like a three man route combination, okay, there's an aqua flash this way, aqua flash this way, that means I should have you know something coming in this general direction. Like I don't think that clicks for him watching his tape. I do think he's good in run support when it's not like downhill directly at him, if he can stretch it out like a flat route or a screen route or a run that got a run that was strung out wide. He can make that play, but he kind of drops his head as a tackler and has a lot of misses on his tape. I don't think his feel is good outside of two areas. He is good at playing the curl flat downhill because it's a short amount of space, and I think he's actually pretty good in those areas because he's got this like springy ability to kind of defeat screenplays where he can kind of like hop around a blocker and go make a quick tackle if it's not like running full speed downhill. And I also think he's viable as a center fielder, and perhaps he does fall into that role more as you know. Again, I think we'll see more man coverage for the Dolphins this year. But yeah, they use him as a big nickel and his ability to cover fit the run really everything from them from there was wanting. I mean, two million dollar player, hardly a guarantee he makes the roster out of training camp. He's again good against the screen. I think his best traits how he processes from depth. I would never try to bring him up past like fifteen yards beyond the football, but that presents a problem, right because if only going to play the guy and cover one, cover three in center field. That's a tell for what you're doing defensively. But when I watch him play like the ball, skills in the back end are pretty good. The way he tracks and finishes picks is nice. So if you can you know, maybe it's third and a third and fifteen like dime safety that plays this deep portion coverage because he has that range, and then special teams. That's kind of the route for him to make the roster. In my opinion, I think where he helps special teams, third or fourth safety type, I think there's no chance that we're done. I think he's competition for guys like Elijah Campbell and Patrick McMorris. Very specific traits you can work with. But if he makes the team, I think you hope it's like his safety four and nothing more than that. Why was he available? This is not the kind of player that this category was created for. I mean, he's not been very productive, That's why he's available. I classified him as replacement level. I was very close to going the red camp body description, but I'll bump him up to the pink level because I do like the way he tracks the ball on the back ends. That's Ashton Davis, New Dolphin Safety and there you go. That's the week of podcast here on Drive Time. On Monday, we're going to have the interviews with I believe Ifatu, Melafanmu and Ashton Davis. I think the Wednesday interviews will be with Zach Wilson and who am I forgetting Nick Westbrook? Akine will get kJ Britten there as well at some point and whoever else signs will have him on the podcast as well. So playing it come your way here on the podcast leading up to the draft really with freegency here to bridge those two gaps. In the meantime, you all please be sure to subscribe, rate review the podcast, follow me on social at winkel NFL. Follow the team at Miami Dolphins. Check out the Fish Tank podcast with Seth and Jews. Check out the YouTube channel for Dolphins HQ media availabilities all these video interviews with these players and much much more. Last but not least, Miami Dolphins dot com. Until next time. Fin's up, keroviln Cafrick Daddy just come home.