Speaker 1: I miss the green, for example, I'm already upset.
Speaker 2: When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset.
Speaker 1: And when I find my.
Speaker 3: Ball in a brid egg Friday Egg, the dreaded Frida Egg, Friday Frida Egg Bride.
Speaker 1: Egg Lie, I'm about ready to run off of the course.
Speaker 4: Ladies and gentlemen, Welcome back to another edition of the Friday Egg Podcast. Today, I'm joined by Polly and Kyle Nathan, and we're going to do a little bit of a recap on the Sony and a preview of the Career Builder Challenge. Kyle, Paul, how are you doing.
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 2: And how are you guys doing Guys.
Speaker 4: Not much, just getting over the blimp gate of twenty eighteen Sony Open coverage done mostly by Blimp.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 5: It was kind of like straight out of the seventies, almost apart like maybe the Show's Wonderful World of Golf.
Speaker 3: I honestly thought I was watching like the CDGA periscoping the end of like the State Midam or something. At times it was it was high quality TV.
Speaker 2: It was hard.
Speaker 3: It was hard to go from that dramatic football game to periscope and blimp golf.
Speaker 4: Just an uneventful six hole playoff too. M H just magnified how bad it was. But I do have to give Golf Channel some props, like George Savarcaz doing the play by play for like five hours from from Orlando.
Speaker 6: Was pretty impressive.
Speaker 4: They pulled it together for having no audio or real video.
Speaker 3: Guys, I'm in complete agreement. I actually, when I was reading the story on Sunday morning, I kind of thought they might even just bag it all together on the telecast. But I give them a lot of credit too, because they made a lot out of really nothing.
Speaker 6: So I'm with you, Paully.
Speaker 4: What do you think of Paton Kazaire second win of the season.
Speaker 5: He started to feel comfortable on tour and once he kind of got the one woman back at the Ohl, it seems like when he beat Foller there, he's just kind of ready to kind of get on a roll similar to what he did when he was on the web dot com. Once he got comfortable, he started, you know, winning a lot of events.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think he's kind of in that bucket we were talking about Harmon and Kissner, guys that take a little bit longer to develop but could end up being a really really good pro for a while.
Speaker 5: Definitely, especially if you get him on a course where he doesn't have to hit a lot of fairways. It was kind of weird that he kind of want it only because you wouldn't expect his game to fit there.
Speaker 1: He just happened his irons and putty well there.
Speaker 5: But if you get him on a course such as this week, were the fairways are a little bit wider, you got a little bit of room to miss off the tee because Lawyer could win a lot of tournaments just based upon the fact of how solid is iron and putting him is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, outside of Sea Wu disappointing me, My biggest regret was that we greatly underestimated one Desuke to Kotoka.
Speaker 1: Well we did mention.
Speaker 4: I think there wasn't much intel out on him, and turns out he can he can play a little golf.
Speaker 1: Yes, definitely, that.
Speaker 3: Name seems like a name you can just kind of forget about until the PGA Championship when he had as the second round league, because that feels like it's coming for sure.
Speaker 1: Pulling the old shingle, I'm on us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who was the other guy that last year was a two a go whistling.
Speaker 1: Was that a Tanahara? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think she had a shot, like, what did she sixty three or something? The second day it's unconscious.
Speaker 1: Well, the same thing at the match play last year, done in Austin and then you were there, right Andy, Right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, tany Harrow was a giant killer.
Speaker 4: So, uh, Paul, have you got any other takeaways from yesterday or the whole weekend? No?
Speaker 5: I think one of the surprising things was that the final winning score was only seventeen under. I'm guessing when you know, guys like Justin Thomas and Jordan's be teed up on Sunday morning, they were expecting the winning score to be twenty. So when Justin Thomas reflects on it, we kind of saw it in his you know, post on interview that when he realized that he could have shot I think sixty three and been in a playoff, it might have stung a little bit because that that's definitely not on the realm of possibilities for him on that golf course.
Speaker 6: Kyle, you got anything, you know?
Speaker 3: My one takeaway is that Brian Harmon is continuing to just be in fuego and you know, put himself in position to win.
Speaker 2: Seemingly every week now.
Speaker 3: And we actually got a question from k Tex He it's a repeat question.
Speaker 2: He's asked us a few.
Speaker 3: Times about Brian Harmon being a household name over under one and a half wins and it's hard.
Speaker 2: You know, winning's a fickle thing in golf, but it's hard to take the under on that. I mean, he's he's there every week.
Speaker 4: Basically, Yeah, I think he is going to rack up wins in his thirties. I think he's thirty one, So lots of golf had it. Something it's interesting to think about is last year was the year of the twenties and could we see the thirty year old fight back this year punch back? And so far in twenty eighteen, we've got two thirty year guys in the thirties winning the first two events. With Harmon he had the career builder after two straight weeks in contention and the last two years he finished T third and T eleventh. That mean Palm Springs so obviously a good pick for this week. Unique format, fifty four holes before the cut, and it's a pro am and they play three different courses. Polly, what are you looking for at Palm Springs in terms of stats and what are you focusing on?
Speaker 5: So in terms of stats, they have three different courses. They have Lakinta, Nicholas, and the Stadium course, which is where they played. They'll play two of the four rounds, so everybody after the cut will play on the Stadium course on Sunday.
Speaker 1: In terms of stats, I'm gonna be.
Speaker 5: Focusing most on approach game and ability to make a lot of putts between probably that five to fifteen foot range. These are traditionally some of the best greens on tour in terms of conditioning and speed. So we've seen a lot of guys that have been able to hit approach shots in that zone, just rack up a lot of berdize and take it super deep in this tournament.
Speaker 1: In the past.
Speaker 4: Last year was a anomaly in terms of the conditioning. I mean it was cold and windy, which it's usually very dome like out there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, definitely, So I think last year the cut was five under after fifty four holes, and then in twenty sixteen it was nine under. You had to shoot for three rounds to make the cut. And one other thing about the cut, since it's only me one round on Sunday is if there is actually more than seventy eight players, they actually cut to sixty and ties instead of seventy. So with a condensed leaderboard, I wouldn't be surprised if you have seventy nine or eighty and you think your guy me the cut being tied for sixty eighth, then he actually misses it.
Speaker 1: So it's one thing to be aware of for fantasy wise.
Speaker 4: From what I looked at, it doesn't seem like it's two bomber heavy in terms of the courses don't favor bombers that much.
Speaker 6: I think it's.
Speaker 4: More favors like the really steady ball strikers.
Speaker 6: Am I right there?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: The only thing is I think the par five's are able to attack. And then there are a couple of courses or a couple of holes in the courses to where you can take driver if you're confident. And that's kind of what like Jamie Lovemark has done in the Pass and these courses. He's felt confident with these driver and he's kind of just swung away with it. And so if there's guys that are gonna do that, they have the potential to make. You know, a lot of birdies, but there's going a lot of approach shots between you know, one twenty five and one fifty zone where the guys are hit you know, anywhere from gap wedge to maybe nine irons.
Speaker 1: They're gonna have a lot of those each round.
Speaker 6: So the field is okay.
Speaker 4: There's only five guys in the top thirty in the world, headliner or like Rom and Michelson. And then the course setup has been the same the last Now this will be the third year where they play PGA West Stadium course, which is the famous Pete Die design that got booted off of the tour in the eighties for being, you know, because the players hated it so much. The PGA West Nicholas Tournament Course, and then Lacina, which has been a staple of the rotation forever and the easiest course. I was talking to Zach Blair earlier. He said, the one thing is that, you know, like a lot of courses, if you can hit it to ninety, you can get past a lot of the bunkers if you can carry it to ninety. So with Bubba actually playing back this year for the first time since twenty ten, is he a play Polly?
Speaker 1: Probably?
Speaker 5: I think there's a lot other options on the board this week besides Bubba, so.
Speaker 4: Let's kick off with one and done, leagues, kind of who pop for you?
Speaker 5: So, guys, in terms of popping, I mean, if you want to go the stut route, obviously like Harmon and Ramer there. As you mentioned Harmon, you know has played good the last two times here, and he also made it out a Q School on these on the Nicholas Tournament course in the Stadium course for a couple of years, and so he got out of here a Q School in twenty eleven, finished eighth there. So you know there's a pedigree of playing good at this track and playing good recently. So if you didn't take Harmon last week, this is another good opportunity to get a guy while he's hot, probably got a pretty good chance of getting a top five or top ten this week. Some people may want to choose John Ram this week, but I'm probably gonna end up saving him for later in the year.
Speaker 1: But he has you know, he's only.
Speaker 5: Played here once before, but he's clearly the best player in the field by a long shot in terms of like world ranking, So you could go with him, and then you can always go for some of the other guy who's down the line. We can kind of talk some of those maybe when we kind of go through like the DraftKings portion can kind of talk about who may be a potential one and done option as well.
Speaker 4: It seems like the key with Ram is, like you just he's going to be a good pick for almost any golf course or any field. He's finished in the top ten forty five percent of his start since he's in any pro event. So it's just an editor of avoiding like not getting unlucky and having it be a one bad week of the year.
Speaker 3: He kind of seems like a guy to hold for a Major because you know, his pick percentage would be pretty low in the Major, you'd think.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the only thing I'm afraid with Rom is that if he wins a couple of times early in the year before Major, he all of a sudden may become a popular pick for the majors. Right, And we've seen that what guys happened before. So you know, maybe a week where if you take Rom, maybe he's only five or ten percent on in your league, and if he wins, you get a massive edge.
Speaker 6: Right, Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't think a lot of people will be picking them this week. Another high profile guy would be like Patrick Reid, who's won here before and has has finished a lot of had a lot of high finishes here. It's actually his first start of the year. You like Patrick Reid, Are you fading him?
Speaker 5: I wouldn't take him for one and done this week. So his victory was one of the different course rotations. So he's gone twelve and fifty sixth and the two times they've done this course rotation. So I'm not as much of a fan on these courses, on these courses than than what was previous.
Speaker 4: So we've talked about Rom, Harmon and Reed. Who are those are the top three price guys on DraftKings. Then also above ten thousand we've got Kevin Kissner and Phil Micholson. What do you think about those guys? Are you looking to get you know, one or two of the high priced guys?
Speaker 5: No, if I was going with somebody on DraftKings, it's going to be either Be or Harmon up on top, just just because of the birdie potential. So if you look at Rom and you see last year he was thirty fourth here, may it look like a bad result. But if we dig into it, he had twenty birdies last year and finished thirty fourth. He just happened to have, you know, seven bogies and two doubles, and on the sixteen par fives he played, he only played them two under.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 5: So it seems like there's a lot of room improvement based on what we know about John Rahm, where he could come out here and you know, necessarily blow the field away, but he could carry the rest of your lineup, and I don't see guys like Kissner or you know, or Michelson carrying a.
Speaker 1: Lineup this week.
Speaker 4: The other thing is is it kind of goes to what Zach said, is that he's long enough that he can get pasted a lot of the trouble and then it becomes just a wedge fest for him. And I know that's an area where he's worked a ton in the offseason, so we could see those improved results this week exactly.
Speaker 1: And he's just a birdie machine.
Speaker 5: So I think that's the difference between a guy like Kisner and Rom is that every round you're gonna see Kisner make probably one or two birdies less than Rom in over four rounds. That's going to add up and be you know, a big difference for draftings scoring. So that's kind of a reason why I like Harmon as well. He had twenty two birdies and an eagle there last year, twenty three birdies in twenty sixteen, and had thirty one birdies here in HU School in twenty eleven, so you can definitely fill it up.
Speaker 3: Do you find the multi course events to be easier or harder to handicap?
Speaker 5: I would say harder to handicap because in this case, and similar to like Pebble Beach, they don't have shot link data for all three courses in terms of like looking historically, like to figure out trends in terms of where did players perform, how do they perform? Did they just play good last year and finish high because they put it amazing or what happened? You don't necessarily have all that data, and that makes it difficult.
Speaker 2: It makes sense.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's this early part of the season.
Speaker 4: There isn't a lot of shot link data because just there's a couple of multi course deals and you know, they had the Asia Swing where they didn't have the data makes it a little bit more difficult for you. Definitely so then we go into like the nine thousands and eight thousands, and there's a lot of guys in here that are intriguing, whether it be based off of hot, recent play or past results.
Speaker 6: Who do you like in here?
Speaker 4: You got Jason Duffner, Webb Simpson, Kazaire who just won last week, Hadley who was on a tear, Shay Revey.
Speaker 5: I would actually go with Chez here. So an interesting thing with Chez. Last week he finished eighteenth of the Sony Open. And he's kind of a typical guy that finishes between tenth and twentieth almost every single time. So if you look at his record, I think he went in the last like such a seven starts. He's finished every time in the top twenty five, but never in the top ten. This past week he actually lost five shots on the green putting and finish eighteenth. He had his normal putting, which is gaining about a shot for the whole event shorts gain putting, he would have finished at seventeen hundred would have been the playoff. So and that's just the normal putting week.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The other thing about Reve is he went to college at Arizona State, so you know, very accustomed to playing desert.
Speaker 5: Golf definitely, And that's kind of the other Corrollari with Rom as well. They're kind of comfortable in this in the situation.
Speaker 4: So a name that popped in here that I just like, you know, saw who I hadn't heard from and so long as crazy as Bill hass like kind of been become the forgotten man in recent years of golf.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's one of my most hated DraftKings plays ever because he just makes zero birdie, so play around and make two birdies one bogie and not really help your team at all. And so he's priced here high at eighty six hundred. He missed the cut last week, I believe Don and Sony, So even though he has a good track record here, I don't see enough upside to play him in any Draftings sermons this week.
Speaker 4: What about Brendan Steele. I always feel like he's in an under that valued guy like he People just don't like him, so they don't pick him.
Speaker 5: And I think he's another local guy as well here too, But he's played well here last year, I think in a top ten finish, and he's another guy that could you know, when he gets hot with his game, he can roll a lot of putts in and make a lot of birdies in around. So I definitely like the guys that have the ability to make six, seven, eight birdies in a round, whereas like Steele could do it, I don't think Hawk can do that consistently.
Speaker 6: So any other ones that add here.
Speaker 5: In that price rad you're talking between like eighty five and ten thousand. Now, I don't see any other main guys. I mean, I like Web Simpson a little bit up there, but I think he's going to be very heavily owned based upon how he finished last week.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he seems to be playing pretty well the last I don't know, nine months or so. He's really kind of rounding back into not what he once was, which was a top ten player in the world, but a really steady, solid player.
Speaker 6: And he gets a done tee to Green, So.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he actually started to figure out his putting. So in his last ten events he had positive strokes stained putting in eight of those, So that's kind of where his successes come from.
Speaker 6: What about one and done for Web?
Speaker 3: What was that?
Speaker 6: What about one and done for Web?
Speaker 5: I'm probably gonna end up saving him for a few other times in the year where I think he's a better choice. I don't know if he has enough upside to win here. I think he'll get you a top fifteen, But there's a couple other choices. I'd be more likely to go with Chez probably, and I think he's probably you're not gonna use him anywhere else this year, and he's got a good chance of getting a top fifteen for you if you're going to go that route.
Speaker 4: Okay, So then we move into you know, kind of under eighty five hundred and into the seven thousands, and what names pop here?
Speaker 5: So the one that popped the most to me, it was don at seventy seven hundred was Brent Snedecker. So Sneddecker's you know, this is his first event of the full season. He played I think one event in the fall the RSM made the cut there. It started hit the ball pretty well, and then he went and played went down and played in Indonesia. And the reason he did that is he was trying to make the top fifty by the end of the year so he could get exempt in the Masters.
Speaker 1: But he fell ill while playing, so he.
Speaker 5: Withdrew down there, so he didn't hit the top fifty so he has a little bit of motivation year to make it in the top fifty so he can play it Augusta because that tournament is his favorite tournament.
Speaker 1: It means the world tone.
Speaker 6: How's this track record at this course, Well, he.
Speaker 5: Hasn't played here in the last two years for this rotation. But if you look in terms of what skill set we like in this golf course, it's guys that can hit ironshots close and can make putts. Well, that's pretty much Brent Snedeker. If you have a guy sitting in one twenty five, I'll take Snedecker all day to get up and down versus almost any other PGA to a pro.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's true. I know.
Speaker 4: He's always putts really so well on PO and with the AT and T and the Farmers too, so he tends to.
Speaker 2: Play well at the beginning of the year too.
Speaker 3: I feel like he almost always wins one tournament in the first couple months of the season.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I'm done thinking he notches will win here or has enough high finishes to where he gets in the top fifty come Augusta.
Speaker 4: It's kind of crazy he's outside the top fifty, but yeah, anyone else in this area.
Speaker 5: Kevin nah who missed the cut last week at the Sony, but might have had one of the worst putting performances I've ever seen through two rounds. He lost eight shots on the greens in two rounds last week and only shot two over. So if he just putt it halfway Deaston last week, he would have been at six under after thirty six holes and been, you know, right there. And he has a pretty good track record at the events here, so I look for him to kind of bounce back this week and honestly win the event, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him finish top fifteen this week.
Speaker 4: I kind of like Grayson Murray. I know he's such an idiot on Twitter, but he's gonna win a lot of times as a tour pro. He's still only like twenty four years old, and he finished I think top fifteen here last year. It's a name that I think this is a golf course that could set up really well for arm.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's one of those high upside guys to where if he plays well, which is.
Speaker 1: What you're trying to do. If you're trying to win a drafting sermon, you need a guy.
Speaker 5: If he plays well to go off and Murray plays well, he's going to make twenty five verdies this week, so he definitely has the upside. And he also can make eagles on the par fives as well, which is key.
Speaker 2: I'm watching boy, Ryan Armor.
Speaker 6: Yeah, my man crush on Ryan Arm, right.
Speaker 5: I think he keeps hitting it solid every single time he plays. So, as some of you might follow me on Twitter, I kind of had like a Ryan Armor stat trecker update of how many times he keeps hitting it inside twenty feet. So last week he ate thirty two out of seventy two holes inside twenty feet again, which in the two events in Hawaii he almost half his greens. He hits seventy out a one to forty four inside twenty feet, which is just an insane stat.
Speaker 2: That is absolutely ridiculous.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and so we also note that he's better on Bermuda greens, which we have here this week, and in the last couple of times he's been able to have just average putting rounde putting tournaments where he's you know, right around level or maybe one stroke above average. He's finished the top five of those weeks he can do that. He can you know, rely on his approach game, he can you know, easily get top five or ten this week.
Speaker 4: It's kind of crazy how good he's hitting the ball.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, here's a createy stat that may blow your mind. So in his last five events he's played, he's gained over twenty two shots strokes gained approach.
Speaker 4: That's is he leading the tour and strokes gained approach Right now, I think.
Speaker 5: He's got to be pretty close to up there. I haven't looked exactly where he is in the standings. I was looking at the at the tournament by tournament things for the.
Speaker 4: Last five You know a guy who had a crazy like get under the radar good year last year was Sun Kang. It's seventy five hundred. You have any expectations for him this year?
Speaker 5: He's a guy that's I think just gonna pop off every once in a while, maybe somewhere like a sell Houston Open contend. But I don't see him as a guy that is going to be their weekend week out. When he's when he's off, he's off bad, and when he's on he's on really good. Kind of like how Seawa Kim was last year he'll played good three or four times and then not so good the other times.
Speaker 4: Okay, so then we kind of start to get down into the values and we got a guy you liked last week, Bo Hostler at seventy one hundred. Got a lot of younger guys down here. Who you pulling out of this group?
Speaker 1: So I thinks is another California guy? Correct?
Speaker 6: I believe so?
Speaker 5: So yeah, I mean I like him again, especially if you're looking on the betting side. He's three hundred and one again this week, which I'm kind of surprised in a weak feel, but he's another guy that can put up a lot of bird He's just seventy one hundred.
Speaker 1: Good for him.
Speaker 5: I also like another guy with California times is Brandon Hagy played golf at Camp.
Speaker 1: He's going to play well in easy courses.
Speaker 6: Yeah. He's scary long too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he can you know, kind of carry those bunkers.
Speaker 5: So if you look at like his birdie rate over those last five events, he's I think fourth in that. So his last five cuts that he's made, he's had twenty five more birdies total than the average player in those events, which is a crazy stat. So when he plays, makes a cut, he goes crazy in terms of number of birdies.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 4: I think he lives in the offseason in Scottsdale, so accustomed to desert golf as well. Turns out Wesley Bryant's driver issues are are real.
Speaker 5: Polly, Yeah, I think I heard he's putting it on the shelf for a couple months into the Florida Swing, so he's going with three wood out here.
Speaker 6: So he's not very long to start, No, I.
Speaker 5: Mean, he may get away with it this week, but like, how are you going to do that if you played Tory Pines like Riviera, There's just no way.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, Yeah, that's not gonna happen. A Tori once.
Speaker 1: Three with for second shots.
Speaker 4: That's it's it's not a recipe for success. And and mister Kyle Nathan, Yeah, right on. One of the crazy stories I read about is John Peterson. He's talking about giving up golf if he doesn't secure his card after this major medical.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so he's kind of, you know, come to the realization that he's getting up there in years. I think he's what in his mid to late twenties, not right, I think, yeah, somewhere around there. I mean he's been around for a while, and he had he had a couple of good years about three or four years ago. But I know he's had a lot of injuries the past two years. But sometimes these guys that kind of not necessarily give up but take a little bit of stress off themselves and pressure tend to perform really well. And we saw at the last the first two round last week at a Sony with Peterson.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he he won the NCAA Championship and the Jones Cup and the same year, which has like only been done by like I think three guys in history of golf. He's super talented. I mean, it's it's been he's quite outspoken and not I think he's very misunderstood, him and his buddy Grayson. But it's it's an interesting story to to watch.
Speaker 5: Yeah, one other guy down there I like is you might see Manick mcneiler this week.
Speaker 1: In the field. So what are your thoughts on him? Andy?
Speaker 4: I think he's really good. He hasn't had any great performances on tour yet in a lot of opportunities, he seems to be the guy that he'll make cuts, but then he finishes forty fifth. I mean obviously a boatload of talent. Was the number one player in the world as an amateur for a good stretch of time, but kind of regressed almost. He had a good senior year, but not like a great senior year, and he put a lot better golf when he was younger.
Speaker 6: So I'm kind of mixed on him.
Speaker 4: Obviously he's got a ton of hype, but I don't I don't buy it that much right now. I think if I were looking at young guys, i'd prefer some other guys on here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I kind of feel the same. I think he may make the cut this week, but I don't think he's going to do much better than that.
Speaker 4: It's just it's pretty high price for him at you know, seven thousand, was he seventy one hundred.
Speaker 1: Somewhere?
Speaker 5: I think in the high I thought he was in the high six is maybe about sixty.
Speaker 6: Sixty nine hundred.
Speaker 4: So I just like some other guys in that area, like you know, Sam Ryder, I'd prefer he made the cut last week.
Speaker 6: He didn't.
Speaker 4: He didn't play great, but like another opportunity where ball strikings at a premium. He's great ball striker. I think, you know, you look at some other guys too. In this area. You've got Harold Varner. I don't know how you feel about him him, but not a big fan.
Speaker 5: I'd rather go with somebody like Taylor Gooch who played well last week at the Sony, who was sixty six hundred.
Speaker 4: I mean, like Aaron Wise is a guy at sixty eight hundred this price less than him and as as a pro, he's done a lot more to prove you know he can he can play at this level than than Maverick McNeely at this point exactly so.
Speaker 5: And then there's some players in this field here that are kind of a surprise that you're thinking, how are they even in this event? So if I find to give you these guys, who would you, guys choose between John Daly, Corey Paven, Mark Brooks, Mike Weir, Jason Gore, Hunter Mayhon If he had to choose one player to do the best this week, who would it be.
Speaker 6: I'm going with Hunter Mayhon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say hunter Man too.
Speaker 5: I think I'm gonna put those six guys in a DraftKings lineup and just see how it does. You know, it's it's the aultraconateurian lineup Randy, So.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that would I don't think it's going to do very well. You know, one guy I really like his Nate Lashley. He like dominated the Latin American Tour two years ago. I think he won four times. He's survived the web, he got up through the web in the in the twenty five, and he made the cut last week. I think he's a guy that could do really well here just in terms of like a rookie for the whole year. He's an older guy, but like he's he can play, and he's shown he can dominate at at you know, the professional level.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And that's the thing is like some of the guys that have come from some of the smaller tours, the Web dot Com Tour, I think tend to play well at this course because they realize they have to make a lot of birdies. And that's what you kind of have to do on the web dot com you have to get the twenty plus under every week, it seems.
Speaker 4: You know a guy that played really well that's puzzling to me is Dominic Bozelli. He played here, you know, he top five last year, but like I mean, he missed so many cuts, but he had a couple top five finishes. Is he kind of in this like do not touch list?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I wouldn't be touching him this week. When when he plays well, it's mostly because of the short game. I think he gained five shots on the green here last year putting, so I contributed more to variance than anything for a guy to put. It's hard to pen for a guy to put that good for a whole week.
Speaker 2: Who Nick Watney pretty cheap California kid.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean he's been a little bit of a of a slump over the past year, but at that price, I mean I could definitely see taking him over some of the some of the guys that haven't necessarily proven themselves.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's kind of an uninspiring, uh six thousand group here.
Speaker 6: I saw that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we craft missed the cut last week despite leading the field and shots gained on the greens.
Speaker 5: Yeah, god, yeah, it was it was. It was what we're saying, not not pretty at that point. So I think I think he gained four point two shots on the greens in the first in the first two rounds, and I think he was like minus five t degreen or something like that.
Speaker 3: He did not get the wall wall Why is Pevin in this field? Out of curiosity? I didn't even know he still played competitively.
Speaker 2: To be honest, I'm.
Speaker 1: Not sure why he's in here.
Speaker 5: I mean, he must have come in as obviously as a sponsor's exemption, I would think. But maybe there's some type of deal with with with some career builder. Possibly, Yeah, I'm not really sure.
Speaker 3: Here's a good question about. Speaking of career building, Philip Johnson wanted to know where does the Career Builder rank as far as best tournaments for newer players to build their careers.
Speaker 4: Judging by how many people are in this field, it would be a very good one. I feel like this tournament I always watch it because it's like football winds down and you catch the end of the Career Builder as part of it. Obviously I kind of flipped between it back and forth, but like this weekend is like the best football weekend of all.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, we just went over a lot of names of you know, you got your Aaron Wise and Denny McCarthy's and you know, even if you go all the way to the top too, Brian Harmon, even you know, like this is a this is a good week for a lot of guys to win.
Speaker 2: Grayson Murray, there's just I think it's a great week. It's a good field.
Speaker 3: I'd say it ranks pretty high up there because it's winnable, but also you know it's it's strong field.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you get you got all the big name players getting crooked with big oil over there and Abu Dhabi.
Speaker 3: All right, here's a question. Speaking of three course tournaments. I really like Adam Sarson. He wanted to know overrated underrated multi course.
Speaker 4: Yes, I would say that they are overrated. I'd prefer if the tour would just focus on getting one good course a week, which seems to be very difficult.
Speaker 6: So yeah, I mean the.
Speaker 1: Same boat as that.
Speaker 5: I think I'd much rather have one course per event, especially when they break it down and start doing like the AT and T Pebble Beach pro am to where you're not even seeing any of the shots from from any of the pros for the first couple of rounds. It seems too I'm going to go.
Speaker 2: The other way.
Speaker 3: I'm going to say underrated to watch, because I mean it's in theory you should be able to see more shots.
Speaker 2: You know, coverage would allow you to do.
Speaker 3: So, and as a fan, you know, give me all the courses. You know, have it on ten courses. I think the players, if you ask them, they probably hate it because you know it's double the amount of homework or triple in this case, and you know, like you can have a day where you know you don't want to play the hard course on a day where it's blowing forty. So I'm going to say underrated, but not as not from a playing standpoint, more.
Speaker 2: As a fan.
Speaker 4: I just started cracking up because I read Will Knight's question, which is which spot's exemption makes the most double bogies this week? We're Mayhan or Daily.
Speaker 3: I think you gotta go Daily for his propensity to sling it around the map.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna go Daily, Although in reality, if you had to pick one of those guys to make the cut, I probably picked Daily.
Speaker 2: Right, agreed, totally.
Speaker 1: I mean, Mike, we're will be.
Speaker 5: Playing some Skins game, probably back in Arizona come Saturday, come, come Sunday.
Speaker 1: Probably so.
Speaker 4: Weird had like a top fifteen finish the last time he started, so I know.
Speaker 3: Everyone was dragging him, and I remember noticing that he played pretty solid that day.
Speaker 2: This is kind of related to the DraftKings, PAULI for you.
Speaker 3: How much do you how much favor do you give SoCal guys playing in SoCal events?
Speaker 2: That's from Shook Lopez.
Speaker 5: I'll put a little bit of favoritism towards him, but I won't do a ton of I'd much try to look at like course history. But I mean we mentioned some guys that are local help a little bit, like kind of like you know, the Brandon Hag is something that from guys in California, but I wouldn't focus a ton on it.
Speaker 3: Jordan, on the same Southern California golf course talk wants to know or overrated, underrated Tory Pines and Southern cal golf courses in general. I can start. I think Tory Pines is overrated. I I'm not a huge fan of it. I think that with the property they have there, it's very uninspiring.
Speaker 2: It's hard.
Speaker 3: I think that you know, you have to be playing well to play well there, There's no doubt about it.
Speaker 2: But there's to.
Speaker 3: Me, there's a lot better golf courses on the ocean that you know, no one's ever heard of than Tory Pines and Southern Call in general. Is is good. I don't know if it's great, but it's it's definitely good. What do you think, Andy, you spend a lot of time there.
Speaker 4: I think it's really good with the best golf courses. But then there's a pretty sharp fallof and anyone that's been out spent time in southern California knows it's a nightmare to get around. So that makes golfing in Southern California all the more difficult. So I would say that golf in Southern California is overrated because it's there's a lot of it. But I the weather's great, but I just don't think that. I think Palm Springs is like it's just awful, to be honest.
Speaker 2: I've played a little bit. I've played PGA West. It's not that. I mean, it's fine. I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't it's it's fine. I don't think it's Indian Wells is kind of good. I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't mind the golf out there.
Speaker 4: If you're into water fountains and fake water features and manufactured you know, it is the desert. It shouldn't be so lush and green, and it's everything places so soft there. It's just it's just not my cup of tea.
Speaker 2: So right, here's the one.
Speaker 3: As we keep getting into some of these questions, how about overrated underrated labor disputes.
Speaker 4: Ah, I think they're actually they might be underrated as they have a massive effect on watching golf, Like, you know, you think about the effect that it has on like the sponsors, like Sony cannot be happy at all.
Speaker 3: No, I was, I'm with you, it's underrated because I was surprised, like I was thinking during the coverage, I'm like, wow, good for these guys. They actually made like an imprint here because we're watching the blimp.
Speaker 2: I think it's amazing.
Speaker 5: You're watching them blimp, try to, you know, go to the side so you don't have a palm tree in the way of Patton because I are hitting his t shot in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: So okay, how.
Speaker 3: About overrided underrated du Baal's fifty nine, which came at this tournament.
Speaker 4: Obviously it was a fifty nine to win, so I think it's drastically underrated.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would say drastica underrated. And the way he did it wasn't by making sixty foot potts. It was by literally sticking every single iron shot he hit for eighteen old.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think it could be rated enough. I think it's way underrated. He eagled eighteen to shoot fifty nine to win the tournament, and you know, his career in general, I think is so underrated. He was like the one guy that could really challenge Tiger. And granted, I mean, you know, Tiger always won those battles in the end, but if you know, they always say, like, oh my god, Thomas Bjorn would have like three majors if not for Tiger, but.
Speaker 2: You never, I mean, Duval could have six, you know.
Speaker 3: I know he was a little short on the major tally, but his career was really underrated, as.
Speaker 2: Was the fifty nine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Deval is the quick decline is what ruins Duval's career, right, totally.
Speaker 3: He's pretty good on TV too, like he If you would ask me in two thousand and two if David Duval would have been good on TV, I would have said, you know, absolutely zero percent chance.
Speaker 2: But he's real good. Actually I think I like him.
Speaker 4: So here's a question regarding you know, kind of TV and tournaments, Barry w better for a tournament bunch of leader board with smaller name players like last week at Sony or a big name runaway win like Gappaloua.
Speaker 2: For me, there's no doubt I'd rather watch a tighter golf tournament I I would have.
Speaker 3: I'd like to see the you know, it's hard to compare ratings, you know, from one event to the next because the fields are different, they're on different weekends. But I can't imagine people like seeing eight shot wins. You know, if you go back to the ratings when Rory won that Congressional or you know, any any kind of blowout win, I can't imagine they're too good. I'd rather have eight guys with a chance on the back nine, even if I've only heard of four of them, then see Justin Thomas have a ten shot lead.
Speaker 5: Personally, yeah, I'm kind of in the same boat as Kyle there. I'd much other have the stacked leader board. But I can get from like a sponsors viewpoint to where they'd rather have, you know, the big name player running away with it as opposed to a bunch of no names at the top.
Speaker 4: I love what it's close because you get to see how guys perform under pressure, and a lot of times how younger or little known guys like Viy for like a career changing event, a life changing event like we saw Tom Hogy make that double bogie at Sony and if he was leading by seven shots, it wouldn't have mattered.
Speaker 6: Obviously.
Speaker 4: I don't think Tom Hogy would be leading by seven shots. I was surprised. I didn't really know much about Tom Hogy and and I thought he was like a forty five year old who had been kicking it around the mini tours for a while.
Speaker 6: He's only twenty eight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's kind of crazy.
Speaker 4: He's just got a name that screams forty five year old.
Speaker 1: I mean, he didn't play with Tiger at the final round of what was.
Speaker 5: In the Carolina's a couple of years ago, and Tiger came back.
Speaker 1: Uh, they get Greensborough. Ye had the event right before the PGA. I think he was a Tiger in the fun around there.
Speaker 2: Here's a last time Tiger was in contention.
Speaker 4: Here's a question for you, Polly, overrated or underrated hot putters?
Speaker 1: I would say underrated.
Speaker 5: So I think when they in order to really win on tour a lot, I think you have to have a skill set that just dominates the competition. And if you can't hit the ball three hundred and seventy yards on a string like DJ. You're gonna have to catch a hot putter to win for a week. And that's kind of what Brian Harmon did the first two rounds of past week, is he was making everything and then he got a cold part of the last two days and kind of just went into neutral.
Speaker 4: Here's another one for you, Andrew Allen, in a season long fantasy game, who's a better Sea player? Harold Varner or Ryan Armer? I think I know what the answer to this.
Speaker 1: Oh that that was a toss up.
Speaker 5: I mean, how can you give you that one? It's it's definitely gonna be yeah, Ryan Armor there.
Speaker 4: So we just wanted to give Andrews his answer if he hadn't picked it up earlier.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I got Sea? What you got Ryan Armor?
Speaker 1: Just here we'll just remember that.
Speaker 3: So, speaking of Bertie's and ratings over eight and underrated Bertie Fest tournaments.
Speaker 5: I think if it's like a normal event for a week, I think Bertie Fests are good. If you're talking like a major, I'd rather have it where you know, the score is like four to eight, four to under par or somewhere.
Speaker 1: In that range.
Speaker 4: So I think about this a little differently, Like, I have no problem if the birdie fests are happening, if the golf course is good, if it's like thoughtful and like, you know, these guys are playing really well. I think like what happens at really good golf courses is that like a few guys will really separate themselves. The best players like their separation. When there's like thirty guys within four shots at twenty under, that's not good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna I like carnage.
Speaker 3: I want to see like last year's web dot Com and the Bahamas, where people are.
Speaker 2: Just ejecting all over the place.
Speaker 3: For for some reason, I find that entertaining, Probably because I know how it feels to go triple double, but I just I'm entertained by that for some reason, more than watching someone birdie six out of seven and b three back.
Speaker 4: That golf course is ejecting people again this year in better conditions.
Speaker 2: Norman rinsing his T shot was amazing. That was great.
Speaker 4: It's an ultimate symbol for Greg Norman resort courses.
Speaker 6: Him rinsing a T shot.
Speaker 3: That should be the gift on the on the GPS on the carts. Whenever you played Greg Norman golf course, I'm just clumb twirling it right in the water.
Speaker 6: And the shark experience carts.
Speaker 2: That is true, the shark experience. It's cold having an iPad.
Speaker 6: Yes, your iPhone can do all of this.
Speaker 3: There was a good question from Hank here, let me find it. It's actually it was a cool idea.
Speaker 4: Oh was it the one about the Tournament of Champions.
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 3: Here it is an idea for Kapolua. Why not include all the winners of web events in the field rewards. The win gives them the chance to earn valuable FedEx and World ranking points that they otherwise would not get, as sure as they don't get buried on the priority list.
Speaker 2: I mean, I like that idea.
Speaker 3: I think that event needs some something to begin with. I was kind of bored by it, to be honest. I mean, obviously DJ winning by a lot had something to do with that, but I think that it would be great to have something different about that event.
Speaker 2: And that seems like, you know, as plausible as anything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it'd be a great opportunity for those guys to build their hashtag brand, you know, also, so you know, it also would help the tour with the marketability of some of their lower tier players. Like I think that's one of the things they struggle with, is like people only know like ten golfers, and how do you get people acquainted with more golfers sooner? And that's a great opportunity. I feel like that's a very well watched event despite it being kind of boring.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I think it's because it's in the primetime TV segment right, so people able to watch it for four or five hours at night, especially on weekdays, instead of having the coverage you know, from the twelve to five or two to five window that it normally is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they need to do something with it.
Speaker 3: I don't know what it is, but they have such a good opportunity there to reach a lot of people.
Speaker 6: So who you guys picking this week one and done League?
Speaker 3: I'm going to go Brian Harmon because I think that everything Polly said made sense.
Speaker 2: He's real hot and.
Speaker 3: I don't think I'm going to use him in a major, so might as well use him this week.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'll be either going Harmon or possibly rev Thinking unless I decide to, you know, maybe maybe go with a dark horse like JJ spawn or something as well as possibly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm probably gonna go with Harmon. I'm going to make a rare majority play. My seawou picked didn't work out for me last week, so I need to get I need to get some points on the board.
Speaker 3: JJ Spawn is a guy who's speaking of brand and building. I mean, he's so underrated.
Speaker 2: That guy is good.
Speaker 5: Well, I think he's another guy that's California raised, went to San Diego State.
Speaker 1: So we'll see how he performed this week.
Speaker 2: He could win this week.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, Well, another episode of these previews down. Polly, thanks for coming on, Kyle, thanks for coming on. Follow these guys on Twitter at Fried Egg Polly and at Draws and Fate. You've been listening to The Egg podcast, we do the digging for you today that the band a bank count