Speaker 1: Hi, get everybody. I'm Dan Hord and thanks for downloading The Bengals Booth Podcast the if you Just keep Me hanging On. Addition, as the Bengals stay right in the thick of the playoff race with a critically important thirty four to fourteen win over the Indianapolis Colts, coming up, you'll hear radio replays, locker room comments from players and coaches, and postgame analysis from Dave Lapham. Then, in this week's fun Facts Conversation, you'll get to know the bengals number one draft pick this year, Miles Murphy. The Bengals Booth Podcast is brought to you by pay Corps, proud to be the Bengals official hr software provider, by Alta Fiber future proof fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business, and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengal Now here's a quick reminder that you could have the latest edition of this podcast delivered right to your phone, tablet, or computer by subscribing wherever you get your podcasts. It's the greatest thing since a sweet gesture by Joe Burrow. I haven't gone back to watch the telecast yet, but there were apparently a lot of shots during the game of Jake Browning's family watching the game from a luxury suite. Jake made it clear after the game that it wasn't his luxury suite.
Speaker 2: It is not my box. I did not buy that in the preseason. Very expensive. So Joe Burrow was nice enough to give them some tickets so they didn't have to sit up in the cold. You know, we're off in California, so I used to it. They're not, so I'm sure they were much more excited in the box. But it's awesome. I'm here, I was. I think it was two friends from back home, my girlfriend and then my brother and my sister and boyfriend. So it's always nice to have people there, and it's mostly nice after you win to and we'll.
Speaker 3: Go grab dinner or something someone.
Speaker 1: And it was a very kind gesture by Joe Burrow to invite Browning's friends and family to watch the game from his luxury suite. And by the way, it was Joe Burrow's birthday on Sunday. Now, he and Jake Browning are both twenty seven years old Browning is about eight months older. Now time for the radio replays from Sunday's win over the Colts. It is a chilly December day here in Cincinnati, thirty seven degrees with cloudy gray skies overhead, in other words, football weather. As the six and six Bengals look to stay alive in the playoff hunt as they host the seven and five Indianapolis Colts, And it is time for the big skin to fly here in the jungle. Rookie Chase Brown checks in for the first time in running back after nine carries for sixty one yards last week. They fake it to him. Now they screen it to him, all sorts of running room and blockers in front. He's flying to the thirty, the twenty. The ten cuts back makes a man miss half the five touchdown Bengals. Chase Brown showing his speed as he flies down the field for the Bengals touchdown. Matt Gay, who won a Super Bowl ring against the Bengals with the Rams a couple of years ago, in his first year with the Colts, the highest paid kicker in the NFL after signing a free agent deal. This kick is up and it pits the upright and bounce his back. Wow, he missed it from thirty eight yards away, and the Bengals remain seven points ahead. Joe Mixon back in at running back Charlie Joe in a wide receiver. Browning throws into screen, caught by Mixing. Runs to the fifty, cutting back to the forty, still running at the thirty high, stepping to the twenty, and tackled at the sixteen yard line by Rodney Thomas. The screen game is killing Indianapolis. That's a forty four yard game. Browning back at the five. In the shotgun. Mixon ships to his left. It's a handoff Mixing stumbling forward, touchdown Bengals. Joe Mixon heads to the back of the end zone and begins a dance for the fans looking on. He scored three touchdowns in the last two games, and the Bengals have taken a thirteen to nothing lead. Linebacker Zyear Franklin is a fullback. Zach Boss lined up behind him. He's carried on the last six plays. They fake to him, They throw into the end zone, and it is a touchdown. Moe Ellie Cox held on to the football. It looked for a second like he might have juggled it, but he held on for the td got behind Logan Wilson and the playworks for Indianapolis. Second and four. They snap it to Browning, Jake looking throwing and it is intercepted. It's being run back by Ronnie Harrison. He's going to take it to the house. A pick six and a touchdown for Indy Browning in the gun chase brown to his right. Browning has the ball, He's back to throw. The Fires caught it the five, Tanner Hudson into the end zone. Touchdown Bengals. Tanner Hudson with his first ever NFL touchdown catch and the Bengals are back in the lead. On second down and nine, Browning with a deep drop. He's gonna float it high end, got him t Higgins makes it over the shoulder catch on the far sideline, got his feet down in bounds and gets tackled at the twenty four of Indianapolis, a forty six yard bom Darryl Baker was nearby as t stumbled down after making the catch. Second down in goal, inches away. The Bengals already up by seven now, Browning moves under center. He has Mixing five yards behind him. Browning will try to sneak it in, Mixing shuts him in the back into the end zone. Touchdown Bengals and Cincinnati has a two TD lead. Here comes the punt by Robbins, very very high, and we've got a muff. The Bengals fall on top of it at the thirteen yard line. Bengals ball as Isaiah McKenzie colliding with his own guy as he was trying to make a fair catch dj Ivy down at the bottom of the pile to recover for Cincinnati. Minshew back to throw, looking left, hit from behind Bob Hendrickson, the ball shops to the ground. The Bengals heavens, yes, he'll j Hill with a football. Here we go, fourth down and fifteen, the Colts at their own forty one. Minshew back to throw here trace got him Hey sacksim and that should be coffin now. Bam, bam bam.
Speaker 4: And Trey Henderson.
Speaker 5: You affected two people, the left tackle Raymond and the quarterback Minshew. Boy, what a game Trey Henderson had.
Speaker 1: Two weeks ago, after a loss dropped their record to five and six, many people gave up the Cincinnati Bengals for dead. Well, guess what you can hear a noise in the background. Thump thump, yeah, thump thump, the heartbeat very much still beating. The Bengals improved their playoff chances as they climb above five hundred with a thirty four to fourteen win over the Indianapolis Colts. Here are the final stats for Jake Browning. He completed eighteen out of twenty four passes, that's seventy five five percent for two hundred and seventy five yards with two touchdowns and one interception for a passer rating of one twenty two point seven. He added a one yard touchdown run and those numbers probably would have been even better if not for a bizarro situation early in the fourth quarter where Jake had to leave the game and jog to the locker room because of cramping in his right hand. AJ McCarron had to take his place for five offensive snaps. Here's the explanation from Browning thumb.
Speaker 4: Four armed, just saw started.
Speaker 2: Cramport's thumb was just locking up on that could throw and then Kane got an IV AND's fine, but yeah, it's pretty dumb. But just needed to drink more water and collect rots, I guess, and I think sometimes when it's cold, you just hunted thirsty. So yeah, I guess that's probably the main takeaway from the games. Hydrate better.
Speaker 1: I asked t Higgins about it after the game. Jake came back in after being in the locker room. It looked like he was maybe joking around about what happened. What did he say?
Speaker 3: This is cramping?
Speaker 6: He said, you need to drink water. That's why you drink water. Eh, you you right, you better drink some water. Cramping and your thumb is I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure I'd ever heard of thumb cramping before.
Speaker 4: It is what it is.
Speaker 6: Man, I'm just glad it was a series, and I'm glad he's all right.
Speaker 1: I know you had faith in him, but did you honestly think he could play at this level in back to back games?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 6: I mean the confidence I mean because he came in training camp playing like a start in QB. Man, I mean, this is the tip of iceberg for him. You know what I'm saying. He ain't doing nothing but showing the world that what he's capable of. And you're also happy for him to come in and leave this offense the way he's been doing and you hope he would keep going for the rest of the season.
Speaker 1: For the second straight game, Browning got a lot of help from the Bengals running attack. At Cincinnati, ran for one hundred and eleven yards and had gains of fifty four, forty five and twenty five yard guards on screen passes. Joe Mixon had one hundred and twenty five combined rushing and receiving yards, and Chase brown added one oh five. Here's mixing two weeks ago. A lot of people at giving the Bengals up for dead. How do you feel about where things stand right now? Considering how you've played the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 7: I feel really good.
Speaker 8: I think that everybody been doing the hell of a job, you know, playing together and everybody just you know, making plays and being in the right place is when they need to be. So we just got to keep building on that and uh, you know, getting better.
Speaker 1: It seemed clear that you guys had confidence and faith in Jake Browning, but considering how well he's played, has that been elevated the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean Jake's been very silent, and that's what we need him to be in order to win these games, and I think that you know, by him doing that playing solid football, I think everything else.
Speaker 7: As long as our defense.
Speaker 8: Playing the ass off like they are, we're gonna be in great shame. So we just got to you know, Keith feen of each other playing complimentary football and everything else. Don't take care of himself.
Speaker 1: See the screen game.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, basically we knew that.
Speaker 8: You know, they like the panic drop a lot, and uh, the linebackers was going playing the run downhill real hard like they did, and uh, you know they they was. I guess Chase had a big run last week, and we basically complimented that run. You know, Ohio looks and they played the run and then the past is wide open and he made a hell of a running catch.
Speaker 1: How about on your screen?
Speaker 8: Uh, I can't say it was the same concept, but you know, coach doubted up at the right time, and uh, you know, lineman making blocks downfield, and you know, we're just trying to do whatever we could have to make.
Speaker 7: Plays and get yardists.
Speaker 1: You've had back to back games now with more than one hundred yards of combined rushing and receiving yards, and you look fresh. I mean it looks like week three as opposed to approaching mid December.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I felt like I'm only getting strong. Has the season been going. I mean, I think, you know, by Chase coming in and whoever it is, you know, coming in and making plays, I think it's also a great thing because when you know, they come in, they can't just play the pass. So it's been a great thing for them to actually come in and do real good in the run game. So we just gotta keep it going. And uh, obviously by us playing U by us running play actions and things like that, it's.
Speaker 4: Been a great thing.
Speaker 8: So we just gotta keep going, keep building and doing whatever we need to do to get the win.
Speaker 1: You said, Monday's win reinforce the idea in the locker room that we're the Bengals. We're the team that's been to the AFC Championship Game each of the last two years. Was that taking up a notch today?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, definitely.
Speaker 8: It's gonna keep It's gonna keep taking ticking up notches, man. So you know, we just gotta keep living on what you know, we believe in and who we are as a team, and everything else is gonna take care of itself.
Speaker 1: Ingrats on the win. Defensively, the Bengals shut down the NFL number eight scoring offense. Indy managed one offensive touchdown, averaged two point six yards on running plays. It had a passer rating in the low eighties. Chittabey A Wouje, its move back into the starting lightup due to Cam Taylor BRIT's ankle injury, had five tackles and two pass deflections. Chito, that was an awesome defensive performance. Those guys has scored at least twenty in every game but one. He held them to one offensive touchdown today. What did you think the key was?
Speaker 7: We came out here hungry.
Speaker 9: You know, it was always about us, you know, And I think we're kind of finding the formula right now, just with the energy manage like all the you know, formasons, alignments, assignments, all that stuff.
Speaker 7: It's really by energy.
Speaker 9: And I think we're just really rolling around each other and really enjoying playing for one another. And you know, when we're when the defense is at our best, that's what we're doing. So I just really feel like we're starting to hit a stride with our chemistry and it's starting to show on the field.
Speaker 1: Think you've been excellent for the last couple of weeks, do you feel like you're playing as well as ever?
Speaker 7: I feel good, you know, I feel really good.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 9: Obviously opportunity came and you know I had to step up, and you know, I always felt like myself. But you know, sometimes when you get an assignment during the game, before a game, you just it push on a different mindset, you know what I'm saying. So I've been in that mindset the past couple of weeks. Just this is who I am, this is what I do. Anyway, So yeah, I feel good.
Speaker 1: Definitely a lot of young guys in this secondary and now dj Ivy is getting some opportunities as well. It seems to me to bode really well for the future, not only how many young guys are playing, but how well they're playing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't think there's any drop off.
Speaker 9: I think like we have one of the best I don't want to jinx us, but truly like talent wise and just loving the game and you know, being on top of assignments and stuff. I really think we have one of the best corner rooms and our coach too, you know, have a great corners coach and Chuck Burke. So I think everybody's seen it, Like whoever's been in they've been up to the task, you know. So and we have guys who aren't playing around, even Sidney Jones, you know, who's been a starter in this league, you know, just we have a very good corner bedroom. So I'm really excited for the young guys in the future of this team, see what they do.
Speaker 1: How would you describe Jake Browning's played the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 7: It's the Jake so not the Lake Show. So I described it the Jake Show.
Speaker 1: It's been extraordinary. I know everybody in here had faith that he could rise to the occasion and play well, but that well, yeah.
Speaker 7: No, I've always believed it.
Speaker 9: I mean it's probably Taper somewhere we're in practice run when he's making players. I'm just like, that's Jake. You know, I've played against him in Washington. He was a Heisman candidate coming.
Speaker 4: In the league.
Speaker 7: He's such a knowledgeable guy. You know, he's sits there with us in the.
Speaker 9: dB meetings, you know on Tuesdays, and really you know, was talking football with us and stuff like that. Like he has the mind for he has the heart for it. And now he just has the platform to show for it. And you know, again we have Joe Burrow, we have Jake Browning. I don't know if too many teens and agent even stepped in and almost to a touchdown. Sot like, we're just blessed, really just top top to bottom in a lot of position groups.
Speaker 1: Did your heart syncavet when he started running toward the locker room to have his thumb checked out.
Speaker 7: A little bit?
Speaker 9: A little bit, Not gonna lie, but I think even just as a brother, you know, but if that's the football's football, you know, anything can happen. And in that second, it was like, okay, defense, what we know we got to do?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 9: So is this you know, balancing all the highs and the lows of the game.
Speaker 7: I'm very happy that he's healthy.
Speaker 1: Four games left. You guys have put yourselves right back in the hunt.
Speaker 9: You gotta take a one game at a time, you know, keep on one and oh win every day and when a game happens again, just have the energy. I think we we kind of find the formula.
Speaker 1: Find to watch you doing your thing out there. Congrat on the WAMPP.
Speaker 4: Thank you brother.
Speaker 1: Wow. Let's hear from head coach Zach Taylor, who spent four and a half minutes with Lap after the game.
Speaker 5: Twenty point victory over a team that was five and one on the road. Every situational, las back, third down, red zone, you name it. You guys want it and want to handle it.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean we challenge our team not to give them anything easy. They've capitalized on That's what good football teams do. That's why he needs a good team. They've capitalized on every opportunity and that's part of this league. And our guys today did a great job in the second half recapturing their momentum, doing a great job control the things we can control and putting these guys away. And I thought it was a really good performance, particularly in the second half.
Speaker 5: Our team in the two game winning streak. In both games, the opponent scores fourteen points in two minutes and twenty seconds in Jacksonville, in twenty five seconds in this football game, you guys just adversity. What's I don't know what that definition is. You guys just so resilient they are.
Speaker 10: I mean, that's what team has proven time and time again. If we just keep adding guys that fit that description in the locker room and they jump right in the line. And so you saw a lot of guys step up today and make key plays in this game. And that's what this locker room is all about. And I was proud to see all those guys step up.
Speaker 5: Forty two sacks. They came into the game with forty two sacks, none zero shutout. How good the offensive line played, to your naked.
Speaker 4: Eye, awesome.
Speaker 10: That's a really good defensive line. And our guys responded to the challenge the right way. And to keep Jake clean like that was impressive. To keep the run game going like they did. The screen game was all really helpful and so really proud of the job those offensive linemen did.
Speaker 5: Game is unbelievable. I mean, your first two screens you got over one hundred yards are your first two screens in a touchdown? What what is it about the screen game?
Speaker 10: I think we got a lot of variety. The guys are understand what to do at all all positions. Jake's done a good job with the timing of it all and and sometimes it's it's it's it's a great job, great execution. Sometimes you're catching them in the right look and that has a lot to do with it too, But I thought there was I can picture all the screens we hit and guys making key blocks and key timing, and it was good to see.
Speaker 5: Have you ever had your quarterback struggle with the cramp and his thumb.
Speaker 10: No, no, but it is what it is. Man Aj was ready to step up on a third downs. Not fun when it's raining or snowing whatever. It was not an ideal situation. But Aj went in there and managed it well and was able to get us move in a little bit for that field goal and we were in good shape.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was unbelieved to go in there stone cold, not even throw one warm up. I mean, that's that's pretty incredible.
Speaker 10: Not a fun situation to be in, you know for Frey j And so we called a fade route. He threw a great row to T for a touchdown. Touch should have been touchdown, and that's not the way. Great job, Brian, So that's just that's just the way it goes sometimes.
Speaker 5: Red zone. Your defense now has held the opponent without a point on ten possessions, eight of them coming in. Uh, they hit the upright on one and the interception and then you just scored a touchdown. So they're in there three times to get seven points. What can you say about your defense in the red zone.
Speaker 10: Yeah, the drive is never over with these guys. They got a belief that they're not giving up points and they're going to find a way to get a turnover, find a way to get a fourth down stop, and and uh, it just rubs off on everybody. And that's just the general sense when team's getting the red zone that it's not gonna work out well for him, and our guys did a great job to do it.
Speaker 5: Seemed like on the on the pick six receiver and quarterback maybe on a little bit different page execution wise.
Speaker 1: I think that we'll see the tape.
Speaker 10: It might have been a tick off the throw and it gets you know, he's trying to catch it in the backer.
Speaker 7: I saw the replay.
Speaker 10: It's it's you know, they they they're on scholarship to Harrison made a good play. He plucked it out of there. Sometimes when you're off just by six inches or of foot, you know, things like that can happen. Sometimes you void them with an incompletion. Sometimes it goes sideways. But I thought that Jake did a great job manage the game.
Speaker 5: He really did, and you had two takeaways, so you finished plus one in the turnover department. I know that's always always a goal for sure. So you get this one against the Indianapolis Colts. Now you have back to back Saturdays. Your team had to go Monday night, short week, now Saturdays schedule wise? Does it are you pretty like? Okay, this is what I was going to do. Did you decide before the season? Do you change your mind during the course of the season.
Speaker 4: How does that work?
Speaker 10: We've been in the six day weeks before, you know, coming off a Monday game against the Rams, so you just follow the same process. It is nicer having to play at one o'clock home game. I think we're all pretty tired last week getting up to Friday even so now you get a chance to get some rest.
Speaker 4: Show up.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's a short week, but our guys they fallow the same schedule they followed last week. So we've got that rhythm down a little bit.
Speaker 5: Short week, Minnesota Vikings and then another Saturday game Pittsburgh Steelers in Pittsburgh. But it's just the Minnesota Vikings right now, and I mean everybody you're playing is still in the playoff.
Speaker 4: Hun is crazy That's the beauty of this league.
Speaker 10: Man, everyone's still in it, and unfortunately we're one of those teams.
Speaker 7: We've got to take care of.
Speaker 5: Business, no question. Congratulations on a huge win, Coach, Thank you.
Speaker 1: The Bengals Booth Podcast is brought to you by pay Corps, Proud to be the Bengals Official HR software provider, by Alta Fiber future Proof Fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best Care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. Now time for the radio guys recap lap with an exception of about a twenty five second span in the second quarter. That was one heck of impressive performance.
Speaker 4: It really was.
Speaker 5: I mean, you talk about pick a situation in situational football, they dominated every one of them, every single one of them. I know they spend a lot of time on that, you know, whether it be two minutes drill, whether it be third down, you know, red zone, whatever the situation is, they really performed well, dominant. It was really an unbelievable performance. Like you said, a twenty five second span the week four in Jacksonville two minutes and twenty seconds, and for back to back weeks, to show the resiliency in the character to let that roll off your back.
Speaker 4: I think it's a big deal.
Speaker 1: Jake Browning deserves every bit of praise that's coming his way. Another great performance. He completed seventy five percent of his passes two hundred and seventy five yards two touchdowns. He also ran for a score. But I really think you've got to give credit to Zach Taylor, Brian Callahan, Dan Pitcher and Jake everybody involved in putting together the game plan because everything they did suited his strengths.
Speaker 5: I agree, And it was diverse and there was a lot of variety to the run game. Just like the week before. They didn't run it as much, but it was effective enough. And I do think that they're they're given Jake. They're not making his plate one course. They're given him three and four course meals, you know, and they know he can handle it and he's executing an extremely high level.
Speaker 4: Was his quarterback raining over one hundred.
Speaker 1: And twenty one twenty two point seven.
Speaker 5: That'll work, man, That dog will hunt. And if you know, I talked to Tanner after the in the locker room and he said, you know, I probably was a step or two away from where I should have been, you know, and then you talk to another guy, you know, well, the ball wasn't exactly where it should have been. It's probably a combination. Neither guy's going to point the finger at the other. But bottom line, that was unfortunate. But you know, again, they they they it didn't deter them. Let's put it that way. For them to come out in the second half and score right away and take a two score lead and build on that was very, very impressive.
Speaker 1: I wonder if Chase Brown had not strained his hamstring right at the point where they were planning to start working him in more, if this team might have another winn or two, because he has made a huge impact in the last two weeks. He had one hundred and five combined rushing and receiving yards.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 4: He's a blur, there's no doubt.
Speaker 5: And mentioned it during the game that all often at halftime and I'm like, what do you think, guy, Chase Brown?
Speaker 4: He goes, well, you know, you read these forty.
Speaker 5: Times, and you know sometimes it's like, you know, there's a little puff puff to it And he said, but the eyeball test, he passes the eyeball test, he goes that man can move.
Speaker 4: I said, well, coming from you, a track athlete, you know who is.
Speaker 5: The fastest football player of your ear, that's that's saying something. And he can turn them over. Man, Chase Brown has got some wheels.
Speaker 1: What'd you think was the key defensively? And holding Indianapolis to one offensive touchdown, that's a good offense. Eighth, then the NFL in scoring coming.
Speaker 5: In, it's incredible that they don't give up on any any drive. You know, it gets in the red zone field goal kicker misses his first one from under forty yards to the right, upright, they get an interception, they give up one touchdown and three red zone drives. Seven points and three red zone drives. That'll that'll work for you. And uh now that now was health the opponent without a touch without a score, without a point on ten red zone drives. I mean that that's that's not just like a you know, a blip in the screen. That's like that's a consistent thing that they're able to do and a mentality that they have where we're not going to let him score We're not gonna We're not gonna forget limited to a field goal. We're not going to let him score. That's the mentality they have.
Speaker 1: Trey Hendrickson had a bad roughing the passer penalty that contributed to the Colts one touchdown drive. He came back from that penalty like a man possessed and dominated the left tackle Ryman for the Colts.
Speaker 3: He did.
Speaker 5: I mean it was he had two sacks against Ryman. Ryman as he's going over on his backside and that's an embarrassing thing. You know, don't want that to happen to you ever, as an offensive lineman, no matter what level football you're playing, you don't want to be going over backwards. And then tripped them. So he got a ten yard penalty out of that one. Not the same as a quarterback sack because you know you repeat the down, but still it affected you know, the yards hitting yards, and I mean he was he was a force off the edge, and I thought they played the run very, very soundly. I mean I can remember a bunch of times where you know, Moss hit it up in there and he was like there's nothing. I mean, every single gap can't even bounce can't do anything. Guys were doing a great job.
Speaker 1: I thought the secondary was excellent today. Chiitabe A Wouje has looked like his old self the last couple of weeks. Dj Ivy is starting to get opportunities. These young pops. They make some mistakes, but there's a lot of talent back there.
Speaker 5: There is, you know, And there weren't receivers running wide open, you know. I mean every single ball, or a high percentage of them were you know, decent coverage. Guy right there that made a tackle immediately after the catch. I didn't really you know, in my mind, oh man, we getting killed on yards after catch. They were tackling and very soundly and man minimizing yards after catch to the point where it was it was almost ridiculous. I thought Indianapolis had to work hard for everything, and that's a tribute to the defense for sure.
Speaker 1: So when Jake Browning went running into the locker room to have his thumb examined, I did a flashback to twenty fifteen. I'm thinking, oh God, he broke his thumb, just like Andy Dalton. AJ mccheron's going to be the guy for the stretch run. Thankfully, it was just cramping in the thumb and he came right back out. Could you tell by his body language or whatever that it didn't seem that serious to you?
Speaker 5: Not really, because you know how stoic he gets. You know, it's like he never gets too high with the high, low with the lows. But you know, looking back on it, if it had been something of that magnitude, you know, you could understand him like throwing a helmet or showing some kind of disgust or you know, dissatisfaction or whatever. And it wasn't really like that. It wasn't really embarrassment. But at a lot of his team, I've asked a lot of the teammates, you never heard of every quarterback leave the game with the cramp and the stuff. They all look at me and start laughing, you know, and it's like, no, that's the first. A lot of them didn't know what was going on. They just knew that he left and he went in the tent, and they're like, Oh, what's what's happening here? But that's that's a crazy, crazy thing. I wonder if it's ever happened to Jake before.
Speaker 1: It's happened to you before, though you've had cramping in the hand before.
Speaker 5: I have, and right where he right at the ball and socket, you know, of the thumb that rotates, you know, in the heat, moving furniture, doing things where there's a lot of strain and a lot of stress and you're you know, really working your hands. I've had cramps in my thumb and my hands cramp up. And you just got to keep up with your water. In his situation, I mean, it was you know, thirty five degrees, and but it just goes to show you you do have to even when it weather's like that, you do have to drink water, you know, and and make sure your body's balanced.
Speaker 1: Seven and six, four to go and very much alive, very.
Speaker 5: Much alive, I mean, is it's right there. Every game is against the playoff caliber team. If you keep knocking them off, I mean, at some point the tiebreakers will start to swing your way again. And if you can get head to head victories against these teams that are fighting to get in, that's the first tiebreaker. So the more of those you can get, the better you're going to be.
Speaker 1: All Right, take care of your hands. Have lots of liquids. I don't want any hand cramping going into the broadcast next week.
Speaker 11: Edward Scissor hands up next a home game against the seven and six Vikings, who beat the Raiders on Sunday three nothing, the lowest scoring NFL game in sixteen years.
Speaker 1: Minnesota lost quarterback Kirk Cousins in Week eight and has managed to stay in playoff contention without him. Nick Mullins relieved a struggling Joshua Dobbs at quarterback this week and led the Vikings to the fourth quarter field goal that was enough to win that game. Saturday's game at Paid Course Stadium starts at one o'clock. Finally, time for this week's fun Facts conversation, where you get to know the person under the pads. Time for some fun facts with Miles Murphy from Marietta, Georgia, not too far from Atlanta. You are one of two boys. You have an older brother, Max, he's an electrical engineer. Now, you studied engineering at Clemson. Why is it about designing and building that appealed to you, guys?
Speaker 12: I guess for me, I always kind of followed my brother's first steps when it came to he started playing football. I started playing football right after him, and then he got into engineering so I got curious and kind.
Speaker 3: Of when my own path of engineering.
Speaker 12: Because I always grew up I always loved drawing in like the process of.
Speaker 3: Seeing stated stadiums get built.
Speaker 12: So I wanted to construction construction science, which is pretty much structural engineering civil engineering, and uh, that's kind of just how Austin from there.
Speaker 1: Your dad played college football. He was a linebacker at Tennessee Chattanooga. He got drafted by the USFL's Birmingham Stallions. Did he put a ball in your hands at an early age.
Speaker 3: No, that's one thing.
Speaker 12: My dad really really wasn't big on't He wasn't going to force.
Speaker 3: Me to play any particular sport.
Speaker 12: He did want his His big emphasis was you know, be active, do something. But he wasn't like you're going to play football or this, that and the other. Like I was football, baseball, basketball. I was a three sport athlete all the way up until my sophomore year of high school. So it's really like I started playing football because that's what all my friends played and kind of just stayed with it.
Speaker 1: Shortly after you got drafted, your dad shared a photo with me of you playing baseball when you were seventh grade. I believe you're playing first base, there's a base runner around the bag. You look about twice his size. Did parents from the other teams used to complain that maybe you were too old or that they were worried about their kids in various youth sports.
Speaker 12: Not a BA ball because baseball, like, the only thing that can hurt you is the ball itself. So it wasn't It wasn't any complaints about uh baseball, but football was complaints. Well yeah, football. At football, there were questions. I wouldn't say complaints, but it was questions. For Sarah, I was one of the always one of the biggest persons on the field, but it didn't give me too much trouble.
Speaker 1: Honestly, we're chatting with Miles Murphy. I've read that as a left handed pitcher, you threw ninety miles an hour at age fourteen. Why did you decide to give up baseball?
Speaker 12: The reason I gave it up because one I wasn't the most accurate, Two I couldn't hit a curveball, and then three that last year I was playing baseball, that summer, I got three offers back to back for football, so I kind of just won that football rot.
Speaker 1: I think you clearly made the right choice. You were one of the highest rank recruits in the country. Do you remember the first letter you got from a school or the first team that really try tried to recruit you hard.
Speaker 12: The thing is, I didn't even get any letters. It was the UJA offer first, and then the letters from like all over the country. Because the Uga that was the first like football gamp that I went to. Well school, that was the first school football camp that I went to. I went to like a Adida's Army All American Underclassmen camp and like some other like small camps like that.
Speaker 3: But that was the first school cam that I went to, and then I got the offer, and then letters came after.
Speaker 1: You could have gone anywhere. You chose Clemson. Why the Tigers.
Speaker 3: One. I wanted to stay in the Southeast. I want to stay close to home. Marriott is kind of in the hot spot. I was two to two and a half hours away from all the I guess big schools uh.
Speaker 12: Uga, Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, South Carolina was about two two.
Speaker 3: Hours, forty five minutes and three hours.
Speaker 12: Clemson came out on top because one skiing, I like their scheme, their edge, guys played the edge.
Speaker 3: I didn't.
Speaker 12: I didn't want to necessarily be on the interior any at all, honestly. And then of course scoring engineering there they have a good structural structural engineering program or construction science program, and those those those are probably like the two biggest pools. And then the well, the last, last last thing was really just the feeling of how I felt on each campus, and I just felt the best on Clemson.
Speaker 1: As any big college football fan. Though it's part of the Clemson experience is touching Howard's rock and then sprinting down a very steep hill onto the playing field. What was your strategy for staying upright sprinting down that hill?
Speaker 12: It was more so of a sideways gallop. No, well, I won't say no one sprinted. Some people did sprint, but I u Sweeny as soon as Sweeney told us a story about the thing that he tells tells every freshman before.
Speaker 3: They run down the hill.
Speaker 12: It's a decline, then it's a flat part, and then it's another decline. A player hyper extended his knee on the flat part because he was striding down the entire.
Speaker 3: Way the same. But he told us the strategy is to stride down.
Speaker 12: Once you used that flat part, just jump out, just jump forward, and then you'll just fall into your next few strides.
Speaker 3: So that was a strategy.
Speaker 12: But me, I was always just careful, like there's it's no point in trying to race down the hill, So I just did like a sideways gallop and just cruise my way down.
Speaker 1: I love that the sideways gallop. You were on some great teams and had phenomenal teammates at Clemson like Trevor Lawrence and Travis Etn. What was your favorite part about your three years at Clemson.
Speaker 12: I mean, honestly, just the people there, like the friendships that I made there. Honestly, that's a big reason why I played the sport. Every every team that I go to, it's a it's just a big fellowship all the time. Like even even here, just being with the D line all the time, it's a big fellowship, whether we are in the meeting rooms, on the field, or just at home we're on playing Call of Duty. Were like somebody me and someone the dline were playing Call of Duty yesterday, Like just the big fellowship. That's that's a big reason why I play the game, just to create those relationships.
Speaker 1: We're doing fun facts with Miles Murphy. For many players, the draft is the highlight of their life to that date, at least because it is the reward for so much hard work that goes into it. Describe your emotions when the Bengals selected you in the first round.
Speaker 3: Honestly, it was kind of surreal.
Speaker 12: I didn't even understand all of it was, of all of what happened until are you like four three to four days after, because it was the building up to the draft day, Draft Draft night, got drafted and then had a day, had a day in between, and then the following day got on the got on the jet, flew up to Cincinnati, then came back and it wasn't until I got back like when everything started to process about what all just happened. So it was it was most definitely just surreal for a few for a few days, honestly.
Speaker 3: But Mon's just a good film all right.
Speaker 1: Now, Time for some wild Card topics with Miles Murphy. Your family had Atlanta Falcon season tickets when you were young. Do you remember any specific games or moments of games that you attended?
Speaker 12: Ooh, yeah, twenty seventeen Falcons versus Green Bay Packers. That was our I say hour, that was the Falcons winning season. I think we went to the super Bowl that year and it was really just that entire game, not even just like the play on the field, like the entire like feeling of the entire stadium the entire time.
Speaker 3: It was just a loud war the entire game because it was it was a big game.
Speaker 12: And that twenty seventeen season that just kind of just that lit that fire that we had when Michael Vick was there.
Speaker 3: Because when Michael Vick.
Speaker 12: Was there, the entire city of Atlanta was crazy, like in a good way, it was. It was just crazy all the time. So that twenty seventeen season kind of brought everyone back to brought everyone back to that excitement. So it was it was it was just it was just a fun time.
Speaker 1: It was the Super Bowl, lost to the Patriots and squandering the twenty eight to three lead a heartbreaker.
Speaker 12: It was a heartbreaking for the you know, the die hard fans, my parents, the season ticket holders. But I know when we were up twenty eight to three, my uh my parents' friends, they brought out like two three big bottles of champagne. Put them, put them on the ice and then the comeback started, and then once the Patriots won, it was Champagne was just still sitting there and I was thinking, I forget, forget how old I was, but I was just you know, just sitting there.
Speaker 3: Just went upstairs, got on the game. Hey, it is what it is.
Speaker 1: They should have popped that champagne on your draft nights since they couldn't enjoy it after the Super Bowl. As you've mentioned your major witch construction, science and management, and you have an interest in stadium design. What do you consider to be the coolest stadium in terms of design?
Speaker 12: Las Vegas Raiders probably the in my opinion, the coolest, the coolest design inside and out. It's a very nice looking aesthetic on the outside and the inside. But uh, if you're just talking about just fan experience on the inside of the stadium, the Chargers probably have the best best looking stadium because one, of course, the bright colors just always brings it just brings a good vibe automatically, and then the see through roof to let the sunlight inns always.
Speaker 1: Plus we got to experience at the Super Bowl a couple of years ago, and you're right, till Fi Stadium is awesome. Miles, tell me something about you that people don't know.
Speaker 12: Very into cars, the mechanics, the mechanics of cars.
Speaker 3: I could sit down all.
Speaker 12: Day talk about all different types of cars, but this the engines that I'm very into. If you know me, then you know that I'm very into cars. But if you do, if you just know of me or don't really know me that well, that's probably a fun little fact.
Speaker 3: What's the dream car? The dream car?
Speaker 12: See it always upbrate those into categories of hypercars, supercars, trucks, comfort cars, luxury, but the dream car has always been a Lamborghini. Ve been to the recivj if well, I do fit in it, but barely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one of the disadvantages of being your size. All right, final fun fact with Miles Murphy. This one's kind of deep. If you could meet anybody in history, living or deceased, who would that person be?
Speaker 12: Lebron, Denzel Washington, and j Cole Those are like, those are like my top three, like because I always Lebron's always been like the number one athlete him and Bo Jackson the number one athlete of athletes of all.
Speaker 3: Time in my opinion, and then Denzel.
Speaker 12: Always I always feel like he'll leave you with a few nuggets that'll just leave you thinking after every conversation.
Speaker 3: And then same with j Cole.
Speaker 12: I feel like he's just he's one of my favorite artists of all time.
Speaker 3: And then he very just a very knowledgeable person. You were off the hot seat. I appreciate your time. Best of Like the rest of the year, I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: That's going to do it for episode of the Bengals Booth podcast, brought to you by pay Core, Proud to be the Bengals official HR software provider, by Alta Fiber future proof fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. If you haven't done so already, please subscribe to this podcast and if you have a minute, give it a rating or share a comment that helps more Bengals fans find us. I'm Dan Horde and thanks for listening to the Bengals Boot Podcast.