Speaker 1: The best bits of the week with Morgan.
Speaker 2: It's listener Q and daytime.
Speaker 1: We're Morgan in a show member answer almost all your questions.
Speaker 3: It is time for some listener questions and Amy answers. Are you ready, Amy?
Speaker 2: Yes? Okay.
Speaker 3: We got shout outs to start. Love y'all on the show, and love both of your podcasts. Y'all are crushing it. That is from Kate in Arizona. Thanks Kate, super sweet. Shout out love you girlies. You both bring such good energy to the show. This is from Leah and Pennsylvania, two of the prettiest girls. It's from Dana.
Speaker 2: Oh, thanks very sweet.
Speaker 3: You both are my favorites. It's from Huddo in Texas. And then Carla from Kansas hopes to meet both of us on the Bobby Bone Show cruise, which I think will probably happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna meet everybody.
Speaker 3: We're gonna be walking around everywhere, so definitely can happen. Carla, all right, first question Michelle and Texas, what are your upcoming holiday plans?
Speaker 2: I don't know yet. I mean Thanksgiving I will be.
Speaker 4: Home and we'll in Nashville with the kids and doing Thanksgiving with my boyfriend and his family, so we'll be with then they have like lots of people. So he's from Nashville, so there's lots of people involved. And then he always celebrates it with his wife's she's his I mean she passed away, so still his wife, but her family too, Okay, so they cut her.
Speaker 2: She has a transister.
Speaker 4: Yeah, last year they all came over to his dad's house, but this year he's like, I think I want to do it at my house. So and he lives like right around the corner from his dad, So I don't know it. Who knows where we'll end up. I'm not too worried about it. I'm trying to get my sister and her family to come, and then it would just be this huge party that would be so fun.
Speaker 3: Oh that would be fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll see if that actually happens. And then Christmas, I have no idea. I got to figure that out, just winging it right normally Colorado, but I don't know. I got to figure it out with my kids, like what they want to do, and then talk to Ben see because he'll like Christmas s takeris this is two weeks, Like he'll have them one week and I have them the other and normally we swap in Colorado at least we have the last couple of years, and this year, I don't know if he's for sure going to go, so then we kind of need to coordinate that.
Speaker 3: I have a lot more plans. And this year, will you potentially spend Christmas at all with your boyfriend and his family?
Speaker 4: Well, I don't have Since I have the kids for Thanksgiving, I don't have them for Christmas Day, so I don't know where I'm going to be. It depends if all stay in Nashville, maybe celebrate with them Christmas Day, and then fly to Colorado maybe the next.
Speaker 2: Day, okay, or so I don't know. I got a look at the calendar and figure it out. Yeah, uh yeah.
Speaker 3: We will also be here for Thanksgiving. My whole family's coming to town and then and my boyfriend's family. We got lots of people coming for Thanksgiving and then Christmas. The boyfriend will be coming with me to Kansas for the first TiO, so I'm very exciting. We'll spend Christmas in New Year's there probably. I'm not a huge New Year's person.
Speaker 2: So me neither.
Speaker 3: I don't really have a desire to be anywhere specific. As long as I'm with him and people that I like, I'm good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So that's the loose plan so far. But I do not have as many moving gears as you do, so that's a little.
Speaker 2: Bit more lots of different moving parts.
Speaker 3: Are you still doing Pimp and Joy shirts? Brittany in Ohio?
Speaker 4: There will be some for the Saint Jude radiothon. So if you become a partner in Hope, which that's normally in December, there's like a Camo shirt that says Pimp and Joy that people will get.
Speaker 3: Okay, so new one coming for the same Jude.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Nice, Okay. How do you enjoy your kitchen after the remodel? That's from Campbell? Campbell camp. I could never say that name. How do you say that name?
Speaker 2: Campbell?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I always want to say Campbell.
Speaker 2: Like it because it's two words Campbell.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 4: I mean I didn't spend much time in the kitchen when I bought the house, so but yes, I'm very glad we red it. Like it's awesome. I feel like I definitely have My last three kitchens have had all white countertops and like a dark dark dark blue, you know, most black looking cabinet, and someone pointed that out to me.
Speaker 2: You did my last.
Speaker 4: Three houses, well, the my house, our house in East Nashville that I had with Ben before we moved. One other time it came that way, darker cabinets almost like I think the color I used is iron ore, So that was probably the one out there too, But the builder had done it so or the person that renovated the house, and so it was iron ore on the countertops and like a white courts or marble looking type thing. And then we moved in twenty twenty to a different house and it had like iron ore cabinets with and then I ended up putting in it didn't have Oh actually no, it didn't have that. I painted it.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, I loved my last kitchen so.
Speaker 4: Much so that I sort of I switched that the cabinets and the countertops to that. And then when I moved after the divorce and I moved again, I did the same thing. So you like that kitchen vibe, yes, I guess I do. And I think that's a bad thing. Yeah, it can be comforting for you and you spend a lot of time in a kitchen. Yeah, I love that color iron ore. By the way, is it more charcoal or is it.
Speaker 2: It can it depends on the light.
Speaker 4: It can look sort of charcoally, and then you in the light you're like, oh, okay, I see like hints of navy.
Speaker 3: Okay, I like that color. And so do you find yourself? I feel like whenever I do something new at the house, like I mentioned on part one, how we got our the deck screened in, and now I spend all the kinds of time out there because we had just done it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you feel the perfect time of year.
Speaker 3: Yes, But do you feel like you spend more time in the areas that you remodeled? Like, do you spend more time in the kitchen because now it's all new and shine?
Speaker 4: Yeah. We tend to hang out more in the kitchen and the living room. This house, though, when we I did every part of the.
Speaker 2: House models all of it.
Speaker 3: Wow, I mean I remember you were doing a lot of things, but I thought it was more out of necessity.
Speaker 4: I didn't realize you were kind of re redoing some of it. Yeah, I mean it wasn't. But we did every bathroom and I put hardwoods in everywhere. Yeah, this is I had workers in my house for months and months and months like but all done now, all done now, thank goodness. It felt like it took a long time. Do you know. I just got used to coming from work and like there always being people there. They're like, hey, y'all want to eat like I was feeding then like yeah, kids got to know them. But yeah, no, and I mean some of it we delayed a little bit, like some final pieces, but yeah, pretty much it.
Speaker 3: Was so now you just like to hang out everywhere?
Speaker 4: Bathroom, Yes, my downstairs guest bath is my favorite.
Speaker 3: So do you go hang out?
Speaker 4: And there's some times yes, it's a little teeny tiny guest bathroom and it's my favorite room.
Speaker 3: See I love that. Can you please share your eyelash routine? This is from Drew and Louisiana.
Speaker 4: Oh I get eyelash extensions, so that doesn't help. But I do go to Amy at Lash. I don't know if it's called it's just called Lash, but it's in Nashville and Amy is the owner and I've gone to her for oh my gosh, maybe nine years now.
Speaker 3: It's funny every time you say that, I always think it's you and you just have a secret eyelash side business.
Speaker 2: No, it's not me. That would be hard to do it with my close bet. She is the best.
Speaker 4: I love her style because it's still it's not over the top. I've thought about taking them off quite kind of recently, but then I would miss my time with Amy. Obviously, after nine years, she's become my friend and I love our hour together. I feel like you could also hang out with her, and I know, I know, but we try to get together, like go on walks and stuff, and just like coordinating everybody's schedule, it's more difficult. So I'm like, well, and it's sort of part of my routine. But I have thought about it does make it easy, like especially as early as we get up, and that's one reason why it was a no brainer. I actually didn't want to get them because I had gotten them before in Austin and they were horrible whoever I went to, I mean, they were so bad. I was like plucking them out because I looked ridiculous. They were so long, and I remember my mom was still alive, yeah, because we were living in Austin, and I remember being at my mom's house in her bathroom, in her magnifying me or like plucking out my lashes. I was like, well, this can't be good. And then I got those removed and I said never again. And then we moved to Nashville and I wasn't doing them. And then my hair person said, hey, if you ever want to get your lashes done, you should go see Amy. She told me to tell you, like, hey, if you wanted to come in, I mean, I'm a paying customer or whatever, but just you know, she's hard to get into. And now I think her books are a little bit more open. But she had a wait list or whatever. She's like, ch'll she has an opening, like if you want to go, And I thought, no, I'm really not into it. And I a few more months went by and then we talked about it again and she was able to get me in and I decided to go, and I've.
Speaker 2: Been going ever since.
Speaker 4: So don't let one bad experience on something completely rule out. You know, it could be lashes, could be something else, but like with a massages, yes, Abby, and I went and got a good massage. And now now she knows there are quality messuses out there.
Speaker 2: And not just creeping in. They've grown, Yes, yes, very much.
Speaker 3: So Okay, We're gonna take a quick break and we'll be right back. How does bean pre menopausal affect you mentally, emotionally, physically. This is from Liza.
Speaker 2: Oh, let's see. I get.
Speaker 4: Emotional and irrational at times. My sleep is disrupted at times. I have some night sweats, but not all the time. You never know, like really when and it's going to strike or what. So I purposefully started sleeping with my thermostat lower than ever before, just to maybe try to get ahead of it so I don't wake up sweaty. My cycles are very irregular, like all over the place. Like I'll be like, didn't I just have my period? And then it just like doesn't make sense. Some of my cramps have been completely out of control, painful that I have not some types of pain that I haven't experienced since college for some reason, like who knows why there was relief for you know, over a decade or so. But yeah, I'm trying to think of is it any better now or you still feel like you're going through it? I mean, I have some supplements that I take that I think help, but then I'll you know, do it for several months and then I'll run out and I'll be like, oh, shoot, I need to refill my and then I don't, and so I don't know. And some of it, like I have what's called golfer's elbow. My elbow joint like really really hurts. I thought it was tennis elbow, but then I googled where the pain was specifically, and apparently it's called golfer's elbow. And a lot of people attribute that sort of stuff to perimenopause. But who knows.
Speaker 2: You don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's just so many factors and hard to tell, and it isn't. The timeline also wonky, so you never really know when it's first starts versus when it really is ending.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I will get into tracking things and then I get bored with it. That's probably my ADHD and ADHD with perimenopause a lot I got combo.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: So you know, I sometimes have to if I want to just like crawl into my bed, I have to give myself that because I'm not used to that during the day of wanting to just lay there.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 4: But I try to set a timer or give myself that time and then get up and then get moving again. And I'm thankful for I guess the times that I have been able to do that, But on days, some days you don't have a choice and you're like powering through, but then eventually catch up to you and then the next thing, you're just like crying and you're like, okay.
Speaker 2: Cool, it's horrible.
Speaker 4: Well it is, but you with everybody talking about it so much, especially online, And that's a lot of my content. A lot of my algorithm is ADHD and perimenopause stuff. You feel less alone. You're like, okay, I'm not crazy. And I imagine some women in previous from previous decades, they felt probably crazy. And awareness is everything, information is everything. So I've got to go get some new blood work done for sure, because I want to see where my hormones are at that for a while I was taking some testosterone and then I quit, so I need to see if I need to get back on that. Just so many things that are up and down, so many things, so many things, and just taking the time to take care of yourself.
Speaker 3: Yes, well, and speaking of taking care of yourself, Elizabeth wanted to know, I think out of curiosity, do you fully recover from an eating disorder or is it like an addiction?
Speaker 2: You deal with for life.
Speaker 4: I think it's something that you deal with for life, but in different ways.
Speaker 2: It's not as loud.
Speaker 4: I guess at times, I don't know. I'm not an alcoholic or an addict, like, so I don't know what their experience is like wanting to drink every day. I know that coming out of it, I guess it's twenty twenty five, so almost twenty twenty six, twenty six, it'll be six years that I've been in recovery. And oh it's more peaceful, that is for sure. But I know that first year twenty twenty, like that was a difficult year. But it's sort of similar to an alcoholic maybe with their chip. And this is how I felt the first time around when I went like twelve years in, I call it a sort of recovery. At least I wasn't purging, but I had other disorder, Like I didn't know orthorexia was a thing, Like I was very hyperfixated on every single ingredient and I didn't realize that how that was ruling my life. I thought that was just being quote unquote healthy, but it was disruptive, like it was hard to go out to you with me, like I was zero fun but as long as I wasn't purging, but for that twelve years, but when my mom died, it immediately came back and there was really nothing I could do about it. It was a trauma response, like that's how my body was going to cope and it was going to control that situation. And it was like the day after she died, I ate and then I purged, and then cycle began and that lasted from twenty fourteen to twenty nineteen. So then it was almost like twenty twenty was like the new year. I mean in COVID. It had nothing to do with covidorn thing because COVID hadn't happened yet. It was a specific book that I read because I was tired and exhausted of it.
Speaker 2: I was so over it.
Speaker 4: But it was called Brain Overbinch, and I read that book at the beginning of twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Is that when did we go on family feud?
Speaker 3: I want to say it was right around that time, because I feel like COVID hit twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: But it was like March beginning in April, and I feel like we went to La to film that in like January February and I remember I had that book on our flight on my flight. I don't know if we all flew together on my flight to LA and it it changed everything, like and there was these courses you could sign up for, like I was all in.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh my gosh, she has these courses you could like listen to. She had these.
Speaker 4: I downloaded them on the flight home from LA. I remember listening to the recordings and like highlighting things in the book. That book changed everything for me. And then it was a slow whele, like you know, I started doing like my Fitness Pal or whatever. And then I realized, like, okay, I need to surrender. I need to let that go to Some people can do that stuff and enter their macros and it's fine, but when you're literally I could probably start doing macros right now and I would be okay. Because I'm six years in, I know I could do it with health and mind not control, just literally like knowing what am I putting in my body because at forty four, being peri menopausital, like I need to be focusing on protein. I need to be worried about when putting up my body like I have. I'm having a very difficult time retaining muscle, and I'm trying to figure that out. But some of that is I've got to be strategic and I've got to write it down so it's not out of a control, which my fitness power in the beginning of my covery was control. So my friend Lisa, who's a registered dietitian that is also in recovery, and she has a program called fork the Noise, because that is all it is. It's like noise in your head, and she's like stick a fork in it, and she highly encouraged me to ditch. She's like, you've got to stop, because I mean, I can go to bed at night till I entered in all my stuff and then you know, if I ate like a fourth of an egg, like I was entering in a fourth of an egg, like okay, who cares? But I wanted every detail even though I wasn't purging right, So then I had to That was my final I remember deleting my Fitness of Wealth my phone was like my final surrender, and that was probably around March something March April that I deleted that and then the so the recovery, it's an ongoing process. So it's in stages. I think with eating sorts it's different. It's like, Okay, well you know you quit the alcohol. You quit the alcohol. But I don't know if for some people might be in stages where they're like, Okay, I quit the hard liquor, and then now maybe I've quit the beer, and then maybe now I've quit going to bars, and then now I've quit you know, because when you put yourself in certain situations, like there was some stuff where I'm like, well, this is me still trying to.
Speaker 2: When I would dabble.
Speaker 3: That's where it could be related, is that, you know, alcoholics, we pay attention to those that they always have to actively make a choice to not do that. It's kind of like with yours, you're always actively making a choice to make sure you're not doing anything that would impact you long term.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Uh oh.
Speaker 4: And I think what I was going to say about the alcoholics is the chips, Like they have a chip, and for before my mom died, I had a chip that I'd had a long time, and then all of a sudden, like boom, my chip was gone. And then now I kind of feel like I have my chip back, and I don't I don't want to lose my chip. Yeah, and I do feel like it's something that's always there though, so I can only speak to my experience.
Speaker 2: It's just not as loud.
Speaker 4: So similar to back to that fork the noise, it's almost like, Okay, I stuck a fork in it, and I feel really good about that, but I also have to be on guard. But like that fork could come loose at any moment. And you know, when my dad passed away, I was a little bit nervous that it might because that's how my body responded with my mom. And he died in twenty twenty one and it didn't come back. Now, I did have like when I was going through a divorce and there was like a lot of stuff going my dad died, there's a lot of stuff. It didn't return. But I got on an antidepressant that caused to weight loss. I I was on adderall. I wasn't hungry anyways, and I definitely got unhealthy, but it wasn't there was a difference. It wasn't a neating disorder. It was a lack of care for I was surviving. Yeah, were and I had our stimulants in my body that also were speeding up my metabolism and you know, I would still I I know where I was with it, so it was fine. But I look back at pictures and I can see now I'm like, oh gosh, you know yeah, but there was people concerned in my life, like my sister, my ex husband, Like they came to me. I mean, I had a colonoscopy at one point. Well, you know, that cleans out your entire system. But I was already had lost that a way at that point, and then you clean out your entire system, and then after that, I just wasn't hungry for a few days. I mean, and that sort of stuff will catch up to you pretty quickly. And they came to me and I was like, guys, I promise, I'm fine, but like I'll like Ben, Ben and I were literally in the process of getting divorced, and he's like, what do you want. I'm bringing you food. I'm like, okay, bring me a burger. I'll eat the burger in front of you. And we FaceTime to my sister and i'man there with them and I'm sitting there and I'm like, I'm eating the burger, you know, watch me, and then I'm going to lay here I'm not going to go do anything.
Speaker 2: So I was probably getting a little defensive.
Speaker 4: At the time, but I know they were coming with love. But yes, I had a lot going on and my body was responding that way in stress and the I mean, AfterAll, that's no joke.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, for sure you had a factors that were contributing to that. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So that's a really long answer your question. Everybody is so so, so so different, but I do think it's something that can pop up and you just need to be aware and then hopefully you have like we talked about, like a good foundation, good support around you, and then you should be good. Like I wasn't as susceptible maybe or maybe now I wouldn't be because my family.
Speaker 3: You're killing a lot of those internal things that are that love to come out when stuff happens.
Speaker 2: And then I have to watch it around. Like my boyfriend eats.
Speaker 4: You know, his wife died of colon cancer, so he's very diet can play a major role in that, and he did a lot of research and he's aware of that so with his kids and himself, like he's very like it's not like other stuff is never allowed. But as long as let's include these other types of food that are going to help you help your That's something I won't get into all the details of what he does because I don't I'm not the one that did the research. But they do live a certain way with food, and sometimes I have to watch it, like around him, because like I don't want to get it, you know, get sucked back into a certain way. But I do want to take care of myself and I know that's where he's coming from. But my filter, because I have an eating disorder pasted, I have to be careful with it. And he understands that, and he's like, what if you want to eat that, go ahead, eat it. But then I'm like, well, I don't feel like I can because y'all aren't. And he's like, no, don't worry about us like you do you And I'm like, okay, thank you, because I'd start to put that on him, like oh, I can't eat this now because he's not approving of it. So that was an interesting dynamic in our relationship trying to figure out because because I know I'm susceptible, I didn't want like to suddenly get sucked into old orthorexia patterns. YEP.
Speaker 3: Well, it was keeping you aware. It was something that you've been through and you were keeping yourself aware of, like, Okay, how do I make sure I don't do this again? So it's always around and I'm glad you shared that. I know this stuff is hard to talk about and stuff, but I know that that will matter and.
Speaker 4: If you're going through it, yeah, I'm sorry. And I wish I could say, oh, yeah, you'll be go ahead once you're in recovery.
Speaker 2: Yay, but you will be.
Speaker 4: There is always a bright light, there is, but it just stay a little messy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, we're going to get out of here. Amy, thanks for joining, Thank you for sharing being vulnerable, and check her out at Radio Amy. You can follow me at web Girl Morgan. And that's all for us. Goodbye, everybody.
Speaker 1: That's the best bits of the week with Morgan. Thanks for listening. Be sure to check out the other two parts this weekend. Go follow the show on all social platforms.
Speaker 2: And followed web Girl Morgan
Speaker 1: To submit your listener questions for next week's episode.