Speaker 1: Hm the following He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This He's Talking Cowboys, screening live.
Speaker 4: From the Dallas Cowboys World Course at the Star in Frisco.
Speaker 5: Don't take burners here, Let's got picher.
Speaker 1: And now your hosts, Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 6: Go Dallas Cowboy.
Speaker 7: It's Victory Monday here on Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Copy Company, live from the Star in Frisco, Texas.
Speaker 3: In the Jump studios, look them in.
Speaker 7: Everybody, We've got kind of the whole crew ready for you to rock down. Yeah, Tommy Yarish filling in for Patrick Nose Walker. Gee, why Josh Rodriguez, I say a stand back. I'm in the backup Kyle Yeomans, So glad you're with us. The Cowboys take down the Commanders on Christmas Day. Hope you had a phenomenal holiday. Hope you had time with your family, time with the loved ones, and had some time to watch the Cowboys beat down the Commanders for the second time.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's a bit swept.
Speaker 7: Cowboys go five and one in the Division right, get swept. I mean I guess four and one they play one.
Speaker 3: They play one this week, so.
Speaker 5: Five and one.
Speaker 7: Yeah, maybe I am projecting that Giants team is Pepe, whereas Isaiah would say they are, And we'll preview that as we get later into the week.
Speaker 3: But welcome back, Tommy. It's been a minute since we got It has been a while.
Speaker 8: Thomas yarshch Thomas, I love.
Speaker 5: You, man, Marry Christmasry Christmas.
Speaker 3: Everybody have a good Christmas so far?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was lovely, Kyle.
Speaker 7: I say so far because I feel like people are still celebrating. Oh heck, yeah, man, absolutely, I've got a family Christmas tonight. Like the like with everybody kind of like separated and with the game being right in the middle of it, we just kind of like pushed it back.
Speaker 8: It's still Christopher a lot of people people because you know, there's always that family members like, well, your gift's gonna be here on Monday, yea, So just if you could just wait on you know, it always got one of those people. So yeah, Christmas still happened for a lot of people. And some people had to work. Yep, some people had to work.
Speaker 3: How was traveling?
Speaker 2: I'm not complaining that. Yeah, it's always it's always busting.
Speaker 9: It was good.
Speaker 2: I was happy we were back so that there could be some semblance of it. I got home at like ten o'clock and that was enough to still open.
Speaker 8: Okay, present open some president or Yeah, guys had to work pregame live early Christmas Day.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, we were here.
Speaker 3: You love giving away industry secrets? On what you love giving away industries?
Speaker 5: I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: You guys were here, man, man, that's like the number one No No in media is to talk about and pull the curtain back without telling anybody.
Speaker 8: Not breaking any fourth walls. You guys kind of are you? Guys were here?
Speaker 9: Well, we had a freaking robot on the show.
Speaker 5: He had a robot on the show.
Speaker 2: I was very disappointed the robot did not attack Kyle.
Speaker 3: His name was Benji.
Speaker 2: I was hoping Benji could like throw some punches or something at you.
Speaker 3: Dude, Isaiah. Like bowing up to the robot was a highlight of my year. Yeah, Like it was like, hold on.
Speaker 9: Now, Benji, try to walk the wrong one. He did? He did. I don't know meantimes, ben you ran up on a real one. Before saying he grew.
Speaker 5: Up in Washington, he would know, he would know better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what'd you say that?
Speaker 7: Okay, Kyrie, Oh, Kyrie. Yeah, same type of robots, almost like the same model as Showbot show.
Speaker 3: I tried to get Nate to block it. I wanted Nate to block the robotak and they were like, go for it, you can do it, and Nate was like, I'm not doing it.
Speaker 10: I was like, okay, that's Phil Bingi's only like four foot five, four foot baby.
Speaker 5: What are you got his measurables on you? I don't know.
Speaker 9: He was heavy enough to handle Bush.
Speaker 7: The way he walked around the studio is clank clank, clank play.
Speaker 3: He was heavy, got some got some girth to him, for sure. All Right, let's get into some news and notes. Tommy Yarrish.
Speaker 2: I don't know how to say away from that, but uh all right, Kyle, Yeah, thanks Kyle, welcome back.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: No, biggest news is their week eighteen. Yeah, there's no way to segue from that. Jiggest news is Cowboys week eighteen game against the Giants Sunday at noon. It could have been Saturday, but they're keeping the two playoff games. I think both of them are. One of them is winning in the other is for the one seed, I think, and forty nine Ers and Seahawks. I don't know if it's to clinch the one seed, but it's an important game for the one seed.
Speaker 7: Was there like a legit realistic chance they put Dallas on Saturday?
Speaker 11: There?
Speaker 2: They've only played on Saturday once since they've started doing it, and it was the first year since they started doing this. This is four straight years of playing on Sunday. The only reason I would think maybe is if there was number one pick implications, which there still are, but not in the Dallas game, they would have to put the Raiders game on as well. If the Raiders win and the Giants lose, I think the Giants get the number one overall pick. So I think both of those games will be noon games on Sunday, and so Dallas closing out on the road at noon. That's your biggest piece of news and notes for that, and then other than that, I'm trying to think if there was anything.
Speaker 5: It was a quiet weekend, man, Yeah, very quiet weekend.
Speaker 2: You know, we'll see the biggest thing we'll find out either today or tomorrow is whether or not Dak Prescott's going to play. Yeah. I think when you listen to Brian Schadheimer after the game, he got asked about it and he was like, yeah, I'm just gonna go drink some egnog and then we'll decide on that later. I don't see any reason why Prescott plays in this game. I mean, he got hit six times, he got sacks six times, he got hit eleven more last week. I just don't think it's worth it. I don't think he should have played the last YEP two games there.
Speaker 5: It is every snap that he had in the second half.
Speaker 9: I know.
Speaker 8: I heard Isaiah in like a disturbance in the forest.
Speaker 3: I heard is.
Speaker 7: I mean we were in studio and every time he even remotely was chased down, both of us were.
Speaker 5: Just like this, Yeah, it's like, don't take the chance.
Speaker 9: Why?
Speaker 5: Why?
Speaker 9: Here's my thing.
Speaker 2: Right in today's NFL, the backup quarterback position is so important because you just never know, you never know. Look all these teams around the NFL that have had to lean on backups, and I mean Philip Rivers for one instance. And if you're going to have a guy that is behind Nack Prescott, who looking at his history has suffered injuries in certain seasons. You need somebody that's had games under his belt. The Cowboys don't have that anymore in Cooper Rush, who was that for so long. Joe Milton hasn't started a game yet in his NFL career. Maybe the one a New I don't know if that was a start, But nonetheless, the guy needs the reps I think you should have gotten in the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 8: I mean, would you feel differently if Dak Prescott played one series and then gave his Joe Milt.
Speaker 9: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't see why he I understand what you're.
Speaker 8: Saying, but so that he can start all seventeen games that yeah, from his perspective, he wants that's.
Speaker 2: I would be fine with that, Yeah, But I think at the same time, every in game rep that you can give Joe Milton is incredibly valuable.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, do you play any into the factor and we'll see how many yards he needs by the end of tonight because the Rams played tonight. But the top two passers in the NFL right now are Dak Prescott.
Speaker 9: And Matthew Stafford.
Speaker 3: There has never been a Cowboys quarterback that has led the NFL in passing. You guys already know my answer. I don't care. Put him on the sideline. Let's win in twenty twenty six. But do you feel like.
Speaker 7: There's anything that plays into that from a player standpoint, with a chance to lead the league in passing for the first time not only in his career, but in his franchise's history.
Speaker 9: Kyle, I'm gonna say no. He's making sixty million dollars.
Speaker 7: Okay, But is that the realistic answer or is that the common.
Speaker 10: If I'm making sixty million dollars, that's all I care about. Sit down, sixty million dollars in no playoffs. I'll just take the sixty Thank.
Speaker 9: You appreciation much.
Speaker 2: I again, as a competitor, yeah, obviously, But as a being a looking at it from a realistic standpoint, no, I don't think so. It's not worth it, not with this pass rush that you're going to face.
Speaker 8: I think you give him the serious especially if it's up to hit and he's making the decision for himself. I want to start all seventeen games, give him a series.
Speaker 9: What does that do for him? Huh?
Speaker 5: That lets him start all seventeen games.
Speaker 3: I'll give him a snap give him a snap, give him a snap, run.
Speaker 2: The ball to just taking it literally like second and eleven start and then get.
Speaker 9: Out of there.
Speaker 8: Honestly, I'll take it, but I will not I want him off the field, obviously, but I understand from the like you said, the competitive standpoint. Dak Prescott vocally has been saying, you know, I'm playing these games, so I get it, but he.
Speaker 3: Wants to I don't like it. He wants to be there.
Speaker 7: I believe it was Ryan Clark who had some commentary on it on a national.
Speaker 5: Ryan Clark, he listened to ourselves and copied it was.
Speaker 7: Very similar to what Isaiah was saying. I think he did listen, yeah, the but what he was saying was mirroring what you said last year, Isaiah, which is there's no residual down. Yeah, I protect you, protect yourself from player from himself. That's why he definitely listened to Talking Cowboy. He just said that, yeah, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yes, Well, that's one of the things that I disagree with Brian on was that decision of Schottenheimer. Yeah, yeah, is to play Dak playing back to the last two games.
Speaker 7: Really for what I get, playing him against the Chargers I get playing against the Charge, for sure. They were prepping the whole week, they were planning on possibly being in the playoffs scenario. But that should have been the final chance, yep, final Who wrong? And now that it hasn't been and you've turned around and you've.
Speaker 3: Ended on a high note. He played well, I mean he didn't play his best game of all time. We'll get to that in a moment.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, but if he.
Speaker 10: Still won the game, if you play him this week, how can you stand by anything that you said this previous week, which is whatever coach Schottenheimer said in regards of his justification for playing Dak and the rest of the superstars on his team. You had nothing to gain, right, So if you had nothing to gain this previous week, why would you then turn and change your mind all of a sudden in what you say?
Speaker 3: All screw that?
Speaker 8: Well, you have nothing to gain, But like Tommy just illustrated, you have something to gain, and giving Joel.
Speaker 10: Saying like if the reason last week wasn't good enough to sit back, then why would it be good enough this this coming week?
Speaker 9: You know what what I'm saying? Like the situations the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah, say that it's the last game of the season. That would be my only con.
Speaker 3: I mean, get nothing on Christmas Day.
Speaker 9: I mean freaking absolutely.
Speaker 10: That's what it comes to the politics of sports. That's what it comes down to, the politics and sports. Let's be real, there are politics and sports.
Speaker 9: People.
Speaker 10: There's money that tells you that you have to do certain things right. So that's what happened. You're playing on Netflix.
Speaker 9: That's the difference.
Speaker 5: Christmas Day.
Speaker 9: Christmas Day.
Speaker 8: Now, your next game is noon on Sunday, amongst what ten other games are gonna be at noon on Sunday.
Speaker 10: I think I just wish that they would call it what it is. Listen, we have a obligation to play it, you know whatever, Just call it what it will.
Speaker 7: Maybe the Jones family when they're on the fan this week, because they're talking to.
Speaker 3: Whoever, They're like, yeah, you know what, we felt like we needed to do it.
Speaker 5: I just wish the people we had to compete with stranger things.
Speaker 9: I just wish people would be more transparent.
Speaker 10: We understand the Richards risk every time we touched the field, all of our players.
Speaker 9: We don't want anybody to ever get hurt.
Speaker 10: But the reality is we have obligation to, you know, to NFL fans, especially on Christmas.
Speaker 9: Day, to go out there and give them their primetime players right and be done.
Speaker 8: It's ridiculous that you have to sort of succumb to like the obligations of being on you know, Netflix and everything. Anyways, the Gambler and his Cowboys now streaming.
Speaker 5: Be sure to check it.
Speaker 7: Out, and America's team the story of the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders also yes, also on somebody in the chat. I don't want to give them the attention because they're kind of troll spamming here. But he's saying quitter mentality. I've heard that ground in different what there is in regard of wanting.
Speaker 3: To sit Dowack? How can you build a culture while wanting to sit Dack? And there do you simple answer to that? Isaiah, I'll let you take.
Speaker 9: Yeah, what do you gain? Like?
Speaker 10: And first of all, no, I'm not I don't get personal. What do you gain that has proven everything in this league?
Speaker 3: Correct?
Speaker 10: He's literally except from the ring. The ring is not attainable anymore. It's not this year.
Speaker 9: It's not attainable. You can't get the ring. So if you can't get the ring.
Speaker 10: Why would you subject your superstar players that are your largest assets on your team. Why would you subject them to any danger? You wouldn't. You absolutely wouldn't. If it was your kid, would you do it? Heck no, get your butt over here and sit down.
Speaker 9: For what? Like for what? I don't even know how.
Speaker 10: People can't even justify it in their mind that it's the same thing across this freeway.
Speaker 9: You can get a billion dollars.
Speaker 10: I'm getting across that freeway, hey, cross his fear of freeway is a dollar.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 10: No, I'm probably not gonna. It's not worth it. It's not worth it.
Speaker 12: You gain nothing, if anything you lose, You could lose everything, right, you could absolutely if he gets hurt, Now, your chance at that ring is you right?
Speaker 9: It off? For next year? Gone?
Speaker 3: In twenty twenty, it was.
Speaker 9: It's a gift that.
Speaker 10: You walked out of this previous game without any major injuries. Yes, it is an absolute. It is a godsend that you walked out of that game without any injuries because they.
Speaker 5: Were coming after him, absolutely, not even just him.
Speaker 9: Everybody's right. Every game, every snap, you're subject to injury.
Speaker 3: Yes, you can happen anywhere you.
Speaker 10: Can non contact coach can say Kyle get in the game, you could take your first stride and pop tear your achilles.
Speaker 9: If that's how that's how easy injuries can happen.
Speaker 7: Remember the Super Bowl San Francisco right off the right, off the sideline that wasn't even in the game.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, so everybody can get hurt.
Speaker 10: So as an organization, as organization management, you have assets, right, you have fifty three assets over there that are your primaries. You got other guys that are on practice squad as well. What are my most influential assets that I must protect?
Speaker 5: Dak Prescott.
Speaker 10: Dak Prescott is definitely at the top of the dog on totem pole right, ceedee lamb. Okay, then you got the you got the Quinn Williams, right, you got Tyler Smith. There's just certain guys. They're all teammates. Some are more valuable than others. Cornerstone is what they like to say around here, right, Cornerstone pieces.
Speaker 9: Certain guys you.
Speaker 10: Have to protect and they if they if they're like, okay, coach, I will sit down, then you probably don't want them on your team. You want guys that are gonna push back. You want guys that want to be out there. You want them to be competitive, if you want them to say out to right things. Yes, yes, yes, those are all culture building influential things. But as an organization and as management, I must manage you right to ensure that you protect yourself from you And if you're not going to do it, I'll do it.
Speaker 9: You're not going to do it, so I have to do it for you. Sit down.
Speaker 2: And it's been said on the path, like when Mike McCarthy was here, and just with Dak Prescott overall, people have talked about like, yeah, this is a guy who works so hard that sometimes we need to like tell him to calm down a little bit, like we need to at times rain him back in because he will go the extra mile. And I think that if we're talking about culture here, that alone tells you you're in a good place. The fact that Dak Prescott has played these last two games tells you you're in a good place. Since this game there's no effect on the country change. It's not going to change anything about the culture. And the whole quitting thing, what are you quitting from there? They are not going to the playoffs. There is nothing to play for, quote unquote, so you're not really quitting from anything. And then I saw somebody say, oh worry, you pay him sixty million dollars. That is exactly why you sit him. That's exactly why you sit him, because, like you said, Kyle, if you go in the next year with an injured Dak Prescott, you don't have him at training camp. You don't have him until what week five of the season or something. Forget about it.
Speaker 9: It's not gonna happen. Forget about it. Forget it.
Speaker 7: The chat is backing us up in this regard here, I pretty heavily forget about it.
Speaker 3: And you're paying.
Speaker 7: Him sixty million dollars not to finish seventeen games.
Speaker 3: That's not what you paid him for.
Speaker 7: You paid him to give give yourself a shot to win championships. That's what you're paying Dak press stuff.
Speaker 5: For which is gone. Not here in twenty two, it's not happening.
Speaker 7: We'll do it in twenty twenty six, or try to in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: All right, when we come back, let's talk about the game a little bit.
Speaker 9: Defence.
Speaker 7: There's showed some things in the back half of that game that I thought was interesting, maybe even some guys playing into contract spots which.
Speaker 3: Will outline some of those guys.
Speaker 7: And then the offense of course started hot and had a couple really impressive drives. Can they continue that momentum into twenty twenty six. We'll talk about that when we return with more talking Cowboys after this.
Speaker 4: Every day begins with a promise, a promise to work hard and to build a future. That's why we're here providing the tools, expertise and John Deere equipment you have relied on for generations to.
Speaker 9: Help you get the job done right. We're with you.
Speaker 4: That's our promise to you, because no matter the project or the challenge you're facing, where were you?
Speaker 7: Where are United Cowboys fans? We've got big news. Black Rifle Energy is now available at Texas seven eleven stores, and for a limited time, you can score two cans for just six dollars at participating location. These cans pack a serious punch, two hundred milligrams of caffeine, veteran crafted flavor, and the clean energy you need to power through those long days. So the next time you roll into your neighborhood seven eleven here in Texas, grab that two for six dollars Black Rifle Energy deal and fuel up the American Way, Black Rifle Coffee, America's coffee.
Speaker 9: How's it going?
Speaker 5: You see that Cowboys game?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 9: I watched.
Speaker 11: I've been seeing some good things totally. They have some talent, you up, some great talent, and they got some fight hoping this is the year me too. Oh I'm Cody. By the way, I'm Travis.
Speaker 9: Nice to meet you. Travis. Go Cowboys Go. Cowboys make a.
Speaker 5: New friend based solely on their shirt choice. What would you like the power to do?
Speaker 13: Bank of America, the official bank of the Dallas Cowboys Corpywright, twenty twenty five.
Speaker 5: Bank of America Corporation at.
Speaker 9: AT and T.
Speaker 13: We guarantee our network so you can talk college football with your bff while taking Buster to the vet.
Speaker 9: Hey, yeah, I can believiate the whole thing of chicken wings, and I can't believe we're staging a comeback.
Speaker 5: Staying connected matters.
Speaker 13: That's why in the rare event of a network outage, you'll automatically get a bill credit for a full day service for wiles. Downtime lasting sixty minutes and more caused by single incident impacting ten more towers must connected to imact tower don't set about it.
Speaker 5: Tristrictions and exclusion apply. Se eet dot Com SLUH guarantee for full details.
Speaker 3: To Talking Cowboys back here on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 7: This segment is brought to you by Invisi Line, the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys. Glad to have Tommy Yarish in studio with Josh Rodriguez, Isaiah standback in the back. I'm Kyle Yeomans Cowboys win on Christmas Day thirty to twenty three.
Speaker 3: The final score.
Speaker 7: Cowboys really controlled this football game from the jump thirteen play drive to start ended in a touchdown, seventeen playing play drive to start in it in a touchdown, and then they kind of kept the commanders at arms length from that point forward up until the final few possessions dominated time of possession thirty eight minutes and forty four seconds.
Speaker 8: Wasn't there a movie in Ketchup Pop Cornery last week where we may have I don't know, bold predicted bold predictions.
Speaker 5: We were being bold a terp Saves Christmas movie?
Speaker 3: Certainly do remember this?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Should we do it in honor of Patrick not being.
Speaker 7: I think we need to do it today and then first thing tomorrow. How we played the sounder to open the show. I think we need to play it tomorrow when Pat is back, because he can't get away from this.
Speaker 9: Nobody.
Speaker 7: Yes, nobody tell Pat anything. Keep it quiet, don't let him know, don't slide up in the DMS. What are you talking to spoil this? I'm talking about this.
Speaker 9: Beamer.
Speaker 3: Are you paying attention?
Speaker 9: Day?
Speaker 4: Nab it?
Speaker 5: I'm paying attention.
Speaker 3: I just trying to find it.
Speaker 9: He's got.
Speaker 5: Or a Lenovo, got Hollwood decks smoke?
Speaker 9: Yet this great quick as.
Speaker 5: The flash of call me turping time wide receiver dreams. I'm a yardst go mine.
Speaker 6: Kick off for turner, streaking through the skyline.
Speaker 9: A blur in the field.
Speaker 6: Can't catch this lifeline. Turf burns hot but mose icy. The boys in the back, Yeah, they hype me nicely. Speeds so sick, call it let me spicy. They shave shadows, but they'll never slice me. Tur turpy speed speed zoom zoom. No one can leave the Turkey who don't conceal turbo.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm gonna saves Christmas turb We almost heard a Turf Turby.
Speaker 5: Speed speed creep.
Speaker 3: Come on, man, I had it on the did you.
Speaker 9: That's my boy.
Speaker 3: I will never fail to put it in the post game read. And that's just for a love for the talking Cowboys.
Speaker 8: Fans, right, Turbo Turp is not going to happen. Patrick, I'm sorry. The people have decided. Can't the people who have decided.
Speaker 5: It's Turby Turby speed speak?
Speaker 9: Alright? It is?
Speaker 5: Uh Anyways, I just a.
Speaker 8: Quick shout to that predicted the come OUTSI turp a touchdown. Granted I said it was the fourth quarter, but the Dephense played like that was the fourth quarter. They just stopped playing after that. Then that's part of the problem for true.
Speaker 7: Yeah, looks great in the first half, did everything they wanted to and then had the big play eighty six yards and then after that it was what a throw by Dak though, what brilliant He missed a couple of those.
Speaker 5: He had a bad day. I mean, I arguably he had a bad day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he I think you could con.
Speaker 8: And he threw for over three hundred yards, but that was like a poor performance and he said it as poor of a poor performance sys you will get from Dak in the year twenty twenty five.
Speaker 7: He mentioned it in the postgame press conference he said, I missed some throws. And he said the first one that I thought of when he said that was the CD Lamb throw where CD had two guys beat over the top by four yards each and.
Speaker 3: He underthrew it. He said, in the middle of the throw, I was already disappointed in myself.
Speaker 9: He knew he didn't leave enough on it.
Speaker 3: I was like, okay, So at least he knew, at least he saw, he sees it and he can improve upon.
Speaker 5: It, giving him fits.
Speaker 8: And something that Isaiah's alluded to this season is that Dak's ability to get deep ball out there.
Speaker 3: The velocity, the velocity, the zip velocity, no raptor.
Speaker 9: No, it's it's true.
Speaker 10: I hope I hope that they allow him to sit this NAS game and so that he can go on vacation and enjoy his family and then he can get back stronger because the velocity has not been there this season.
Speaker 9: It just hasn't.
Speaker 10: That's not indictment on him, it just is not it what it was, and understandably because he's coming off of a hamstring injury that would limit his ability to throw as strongly as ferociously as he once was able to.
Speaker 9: So he needs some time. He needs some time, so hopefully he's able to get some of that back.
Speaker 10: And you you know, as a passer when it's just not there, you know what I mean, Like you you know it's not there and that is a part of his game with these weapons.
Speaker 9: That he has to get back.
Speaker 3: Mhm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's not as much drive now as he is just kind of finesse and touch. I think we've seen that a lot with some of the crossers to CD and pickings this year. And then on his deep pens, he's not necessarily trying to, like you said, drive and put it one hundred miles an hour down field. He's trying. He's getting it up and letting guys run underneath it and with.
Speaker 5: At least to a lot of pass uh, defensives, interferences.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I know, if the ball is hanging up there in the year, that's a tough spot for DB's to be in. So to a degree, there there's an advantage to that. I don't know about you guys, but I think we saw some I think we saw some Marty ball from the younger shot and you think so on Thursday, there was time of possession just I mean, gru those first three drives felt like forever.
Speaker 9: It was awesome.
Speaker 2: Five minutes, eighteen seconds, seven and a half minutes, a quick drive with turpin. But I think they had four drives. It lasted longer than five minutes. It's pretty good, And I think the only thing that you get concerned about is number one still the defense and number two, why can't the offense continue to score points in the second half. I think in this game it was a mixture of penalties and Washington's pastors started to get home. Johnny Newton had an unbelievable game. Yeah, three sacks, right, he had I think two and a half. I think they counted won as a half sack. But they've worn down instead of wearing other teams down, which we've seen them do at points this year. And so is it just hey it's week seventeen, I don't know, but it's been going on for a couple of weeks now. So I think that's that would be what you're concerned about, and that's what you're looking to get, right, I see three here, you had three sacks?
Speaker 9: Three he had them?
Speaker 8: Now Newton did yeah, good for I mean, you had a great game. He did the whole defensive line had a great game. You really liked what you were seeing. I mean, as a cow was fan, you didn't like it. But them tightening up in the second half was alarming to me because the defense was starting to get I mean, the defense just wasn't great basically the whole game, right, and you kind of let him hang around for a while, and it was getting a real testy there, especially in the fourth and early in the fourth.
Speaker 5: You're like, you're kidding me, man, Like they're really gonna.
Speaker 3: It was right when Moody hit the twenty three yard or right before the.
Speaker 7: End of the third, yeah, and it was like, okay, now they're within striking distance. And that was where I didn't think the defense played poorly.
Speaker 8: I know they weren't perfect, but that was any other quarterback other than Josh Johnson.
Speaker 3: You would be And kind of where I was leading is it, did they play well?
Speaker 9: Now?
Speaker 3: Did they play great?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 7: Did they play what they needed to do against the bad offense and a team that struggled significantly on the offensive side, Yeah, I think they did. They gave up twenty three points in three hundred and twenty eight yards, like that's a normal game against offense.
Speaker 2: So so Josh Johnson led offense. Yeh, this tenth career start in the last nine he didn't a team that he started for did not score more than twenty one points.
Speaker 3: Okay, so maybe not as good of a boah.
Speaker 5: Well, it just wasn't good. It's a terrible day.
Speaker 7: He went fifteen to twenty three for a buck ninety eight and no touchdowns, no interceptions.
Speaker 3: I mean Johnson's stat line he looked incredibly.
Speaker 7: They gave up the chunk plays to Jacory krossky merrit like the seventy two yard touchdown.
Speaker 3: That's inexcusable. I shouldn't be able to do that. Outside of that, I thought it was okay.
Speaker 8: I mean, outside of that, they had a really good day against the run. Yeah, I mean that was one of the things that Washington thought they could lean on all day, and early on that pro proved not to be the factor for them. They had to air it out because and the unfortunate part is that they were able to start airing it out after a while. Beemer was telling me just before we started the show, is that forty percent, no sorry, twenty percent of all of Washington's plays were splash plays.
Speaker 5: So every four plays.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's bad.
Speaker 5: They had a big play.
Speaker 7: One of every five plays. Yeah, it's twenty twenty three percent crazy.
Speaker 9: Wow.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's pretty because even look at debo explosive places. Deebo had a forty one yarder and where he decided to destroy Donovan Wilson, Oh my god on the sideline, Cory Krossky Merritt had the seventy two yarder.
Speaker 3: Samuel had a twenty nine yard rush.
Speaker 5: What did that sound like in the press box?
Speaker 9: Do you guys like, what was that?
Speaker 13: Oh?
Speaker 2: He got worked?
Speaker 5: That was Was there any hearing in the press box?
Speaker 9: Not for me? That's good?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, not for me.
Speaker 3: What about from Washington?
Speaker 2: I didn't hear anything. We had like the their pro folks that are stats like you are down from us and you can hear them like all right, twenty six run so and so on.
Speaker 3: So, so you just heard that the whole time.
Speaker 2: We're basically hearing that more or less the entire time.
Speaker 7: So your thoughts, Isaiah on the way that the Cowboys defense performed in that game.
Speaker 9: It wasn't great. It was more of the same, didn't matter where even fools was sitting.
Speaker 10: Pass rush is still Pepula pew secondary is still playing soft tackling wasn't great, it was more the same.
Speaker 7: I liked what we saw from One Guy Club forty two member Javian clown He's.
Speaker 10: Been consistent ever since he got his feet underneath him now, so I mean, Jdavian Clowney is a mercenary. He's a higher assassin, that's what he is. And he needed about three games to get it his feet on earthm It was good to hear him talk about, you know, how next year he's going to be playing, whether it's here or somewhere else, but he's going to be playing.
Speaker 5: Sign that dude, and that he wants to go.
Speaker 10: To training camp. That is something that you don't hear from veterans that have played for twelve years. So, you know, he seems to be a a sound player both on the field and in the locker room. Sounds to be a good addition to this team. I'm not sure of his locker room presidence, his effect in the meeting room. I can't speak to that, but he looks like somebody who just goes about his business exactly that.
Speaker 8: I was literally just about to say that he's a guy that handles his business the right way, and he's out there making plays. I mean, you're talking about a guy that almost ran down to Deo Samuel and made a sack what one or two plays later. Just a phenomenal player in the fact that you're getting him at such a value. Granted he has a bigger paycheck than most, but I mean, like the value that you're getting not only from his presence, but like you're saying, like his leadership, by performing, not necessarily by being vocal.
Speaker 5: Please sign him. That's a guy that you want on your squad.
Speaker 3: I really believe in Clowney.
Speaker 7: I mean as a veteran presence in that locker room, as somebody he stepped into the role that Dante Fowler Junior was expected to have, and he has not been good enough this year. I think Fowler has three sacks. Clowney's already at five and a half, and that's without a training camp, that's without an offseason, that's coming off the street and not playing in every game, and he's already been significantly better, nearly two times as productive as Dante Faller Junior. And that doesn't even count what he's done from a leadership standpoint, And from a veteran presence.
Speaker 10: In the low But Dante Fallower Junior also is a product of the scheme that he's in. He's one of those guys. He's not a plug and play guy. And in any scheme, there are certain defensive ends that we've talked about from other teams that you could put them into any system and they're going to be highly successful. Clowney is another one of those body types that you could put him into any system as a defensive end, regardless of what scheme you're playing, and he's going to be successful. Some defensive ends need to be placed in specific schemes in order to have a higher success rate. That's just a reality. And that's what I believe that Dante Faller Junior is. I don't think that he's not good. I just think that he needed a dan quinn Ish type system. And under dan Quinn, what do you have fifteen sacks whatever, thirteen something like that last year and you expect it because of the number. And this is when analytics don't always match up. People have to take it with a grain of salt because systems and schemes matter. Systems and schemes matter offensively and defensively, players can be amazing players and certain schemes in systems and then go to a completely different one in turn ghosts and people be like, Oh.
Speaker 9: That person is just not what they used to be. That's not true. That's not true.
Speaker 10: It's just that that person doesn't necessarily his their skill sets don't thrive in this setting.
Speaker 5: Let me ask you this, though, what about this scheme can be successful? What is it that needs to be successful?
Speaker 10: This scheme is a is a stop the run in bend but don't break type defense in the secondary. That's what this defense is. And in order to do that, you have to have safeties that can cover. You have to have corners that can cover. In our zone cover zone covers corners. Because there's different styles of corners out there. There's some corners that can do both. Some are specialists and a Manda man. Some are zone guys right where they just understand space, understand their body in space, and understand the responsibilities of other guys around them. And then defensively on the front seven, they have to be able to come up and tackle. That's what he wants, that's what he wants, and he doesn't have the personnel keeping everything in front of it. This is not the personnel to do it. I said this early in training him. I said, this is dan Quinn's personnel that he's working with. That's the reality. You did not have the time nor the equity to turn over the defensive roster the way in which eber Flues wanted to.
Speaker 4: So what did you do?
Speaker 10: You said, Okay, let's give him what we can give him. Right, let's make a couple. Let's make a trade of the defensive line position. He needs an interior defensive lineman. They did a good job of that, right, They got two guys in Quinn Williams was obviously a late addition, but Kenny Clark early on. That was huge, right. And then obviously the linebackers they tried, they tried. They swung and miss, but they tried.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 10: They brought in with three different linebackers, So, I mean, so they tried to give him what he needed to be successful. But even when you started being successful against the run, least didn't have the secondary that you needed.
Speaker 7: You don't have the guys out there, you don't have the coverage safeties, you don't have the zone coverage corners. We've talked about that extensively throughout the year. This entire secondary could use an overhaul or just being healthy in its entirety. Guys like Level and Carson and Bland adds some guys to that group and make sure that they're healthy, then I think you're at least headed in the right direction.
Speaker 10: I don't think they foresaw the issues with trademone. I don't think they foresaw obviously the injury to Bland.
Speaker 9: I don't think they. I thought they.
Speaker 10: I believe that they over were overzealous in their ability to rehab revel.
Speaker 9: I think they were so.
Speaker 10: I think they they swung they were they were had some hopium. Yeah, in terms of the secondary, they had some hopium. In terms of the trade acquisitions at the linebacker level, they had a lot of hope, right, But they didn't have anything that was that was pertinent and evident, right, They didn't. They didn't have that stuff that was sound going into training camp or coming out of training.
Speaker 7: The only things that was that were sound were the things that they had to pay a high dollar for in trade capital.
Speaker 3: It's Kenny Clark and Quinn Williams. Those are sure. Thanks, you knew those were going to be sure.
Speaker 7: Thanks for sure, and you also knew giving away Michael Parsons was going to be a sure thing in the negative, so it was going to change.
Speaker 3: But they changed it in one spot, weren't able to do that in the other two.
Speaker 8: In the train camp, you could have argued that you had the defensive end depth because they were playing so well. But now hindsight looking at it, it's like you didn't have the tackles that were able to put up a fight against the defensive ends. So it looked like you had great Greek defensive end depth and that just didn't happen.
Speaker 2: You had you had death because you had Michael Parsons, that was.
Speaker 5: Your depth, but he didn't play in the training camp.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter. When he is on the field, he makes everybody around him better. There was there, There was I see what you're saying, and that's and I think that they made. They made the move thinking Okay, we've got guys here that we can trust, and it just was not a great bus. Wasn't the right decision? Yeah, that they haven't been able.
Speaker 9: To do that this year.
Speaker 5: What wasn't the right decision?
Speaker 2: Thinking that they had enough in the past Rush department and they they did not. They they haven't had it all year. I mean, when your league, when your team leaders in sex or a guy that you picked up the day training camp started, James and the guy that you picked up with seven games left, Yeah, that's just not that's not good at all.
Speaker 9: That's that you just can't have that. I mean, you have but understand this.
Speaker 10: And again, I believe that they acquired Matt Eberflus with understanding that they have to give him a two year runway. Whether they stick to that or not, we'll see, but I believe that they had that it was unrealistic to bring him in.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 9: Nobody expected him expected the defense to be this bad.
Speaker 10: I think everybody was hopeful of it being middle of the road defense and lights out offense.
Speaker 7: That was if anybody thought this was going to be a historically bad defense, I'd.
Speaker 2: Like to see that.
Speaker 10: The expectation was that they'd be middle of the road right, fifteen to twenty anywhere between that. Right, you could and you could have lived with that, right, but bottom of the league is that's a whole nother conversation. Right, that derails the plans that you had set forth. But they tried to give him what he needed, right. You could tell that he communicated clearly, this is what I needed order to be successful, and they tried to give him that.
Speaker 9: But the reality is there's only.
Speaker 10: So much And you've heard Jerry say this through through training camp, right, Double J said it many times. There's only so many pieces of the cake, mauh. There's so many pieces of the pie that can go around. So when you start paying high dollar for certain individuals, I can't have a solid team. He made this evidently clear in training camp. That doesn't mean that you have to like it, but he was very clear, if I'm paying high dollar at all these different positions, there's not enough to go around. I can't build a team, right. I can have exceptional areas, but I can't have a solid team. And that is just the reality. That is pure analytics as this economics. Unless you are one team in your division, they figure it out, right. But again, you saw Dallas be more aggressive this year than they have ever been in terms of acquisitions.
Speaker 9: Yep. And the hope is that they continue that.
Speaker 10: The hope is that they continue that, right, But you have to when you start talking about these coordinators, you have to give them what they need.
Speaker 9: What they need.
Speaker 10: I don't believe that Eberflu's had what he needed in order to be fully successful with him his scheme, But you just didn't expect.
Speaker 9: It to be that bad.
Speaker 2: At the same time, though, I think there have been points and this year and I know we got to get to our break. But yeah, when I look on the field on Thursday and I see Donovan Wilson playing single high.
Speaker 9: Yes, stupid? What are we doing?
Speaker 2: That was the play war that was one of the exposive players where Deebo catches it, Wilson is like five yards behind him and what's going off here? So there have been some disage short situations. I think there's blame to go all around, of course, but I do agree that the biggest swing and misses I think, and what's hurt him the most is that linebacker spot. And they tried to fix it in the middle of the year with Logan Wilson.
Speaker 9: It just hasn't worked.
Speaker 2: No, for sure, I don't think he's got the same juice that he did from a couple of years ago. He's seen it a couple of times where he just gets straight.
Speaker 5: Up beat, but he didn't have any snaps.
Speaker 10: But also again speaking to the safety positions as we get ready to go ahead break personnel that's not the personnel he likes. You know what I'm saying that you have a room full of strong safeties. You have one free safety by trade, yep, one, and he's older.
Speaker 9: Yep.
Speaker 10: Right, Malik Hookers, you're one free safety. Everybody else's strong safeties. Yeah, down, body yells as strong safeties. Why because dan Quinn's system had linebackers as safeties.
Speaker 9: Right. Heat seeking missiles that play near the line of scrimingbacker. Yeah, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 10: Heat seeking missiles that play sad labeled as safeties, play linebacker.
Speaker 9: Put them in the box.
Speaker 3: We got to go to break when we come back.
Speaker 7: We've got some smelly stickers, believe it or not, after a game that the Cowboys did win, but.
Speaker 3: We are still frustrated to a certain extent. When we come back with more after this.
Speaker 13: At AT and T, we guarantee our network so you can talk college football with your bff while taking buster to the vet.
Speaker 9: Hey, yeah, I can't believiate the whole thing of chicken.
Speaker 3: Wings, and I can't believe we're staging a comeback.
Speaker 5: Staying connected matters.
Speaker 13: That's why in the rare event of a network outage, you'll automatically get a bill credit for a full day's service for Wiles's Downtown lasting sixt minutes and more. Caused by single incident impacting ten more towers must be connected to imact tower.
Speaker 3: Don't set about it. Restrictions and exclusions apply.
Speaker 13: S c eet dot com Slash Guarantee for full details.
Speaker 7: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy dollar order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping.
Speaker 3: The Jack Black Playmaker is four of.
Speaker 7: Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 14: If you shout how about them cowboys? You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you are one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet, Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 7: The wins will be even taste here. It's a pepper thing, Cowboys Vans, We've got big news. Black Rifle Energy is now available at Texas seven eleven stores and for a limited time, you can or two cans for just six dollars at participating locations. These cans pack a serious punch, two hundred milligrams of caffeine, veteran crafted flavor, and the clean energy you need to power through those long days. So the next time you roll into your neighborhood seven to eleven here in Texas, grab that two for six dollars Black Rifle Energy deal and fuel up the American Way. Black Rifle Coffee America's coffee.
Speaker 3: To Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 7: Back here on Talking Cowboys, presented by a Black Rifle Coffee Company Here from the Star in Frisco where your Cowboys gear to a black rifle coffee location and get ten percent off your entire order. Cowboys gear to that black rifle coffee location. Get after it, Tim, you have one, do that to me?
Speaker 9: What is it?
Speaker 3: It's my hat, buddy, Cowboys hat.
Speaker 9: It's the Cowboys hat branded by the NFL.
Speaker 3: You look right there, Yeah, yeah, all right.
Speaker 7: Time for smelly stickers, a tradition that we've had here talking Cowboys for years to come, and it is our form of helmet stickers are players of the game. We're gonna let Tommy yarish our esteemed guest. You can get a start off the top rope, all right, off the rip.
Speaker 2: You know one guy who wore this helmet on Thursday and did so well sustaining.
Speaker 9: Can you believe this?
Speaker 2: He's the fourth Cowboys player in the last three games to get poked in the eye. Oh oh wow, I have an eye injury. So his eye is swelling up in the middle of the game, to the point where Dak Prescott's like, yeah, man, you gotta go back to the sidepot like you can't touch this ball. But he still came on the field. Got your twenty carries for one hundred and four yards. Malik Davis. I've got this what I believe is a plate of like spaghetti and meatballs. It says, hungry, hungry Lake Davis was hungry and they fed him on Thursdays. His first career one hundred yard games as a rusher. So career highs and everything, well done. Malik Davis. Will see if he can see today, that's gonna be something interesting. If his if his if the swelling in his eyes gone down.
Speaker 5: You kind of need to be able to see to run the ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's usually pretty good. Yeah, hungry, hungry, it was Malik Davis.
Speaker 3: It's hard to live your life with just one eye.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all right, Kyle, what booho it is?
Speaker 9: It's hard? All right, boo?
Speaker 2: Who's nuts?
Speaker 9: Kyle?
Speaker 5: Over here and all over the place. All right, guys, they say you can't you can?
Speaker 9: Uh, that's funny. What is it?
Speaker 5: What's the saying?
Speaker 3: I just forgot it?
Speaker 5: Now every cake can eat it too, something like that.
Speaker 8: Okay, but I'm talking about a certain player who missed training camp.
Speaker 5: He was training camp.
Speaker 8: What the heck, dude, you can't come in here and start leading the team in sex. You can't start doing that you can't have a sack in December.
Speaker 9: What are you doing?
Speaker 5: Dude doing well?
Speaker 8: He had his cake and he ate it to I'm giving a little cupcake strawberry on. It's very nice to Jadavian Clowney because that dude didn't have a training camp. He took a few games to kind of figure himself out. But he certainly figured it out and he is deserving him smelly sticker on this day, the Lord's Day, December twenty ninth.
Speaker 9: All right, good job, I'm gonna play it safe. The other one might have got me fired.
Speaker 10: Oh so uh, it's cool with this safer bet Beamer, don't need no principal office today.
Speaker 9: All right, this is right here, this right here.
Speaker 5: You know what this is the milkshake. No it's not, oh soda, no oh, this is.
Speaker 10: Three hundred milligram black rifle Coffee's right rist black mocha.
Speaker 5: You know who had this in the game, A rich moca. Yep, rich moca much like yourself.
Speaker 9: You know something like it.
Speaker 5: Jurby Cherby Speed had.
Speaker 9: Ham over the top post, Dak got it on the money and the boy took off. He goes. You ever had you ever had a three hundred million grad I have. Oh it's really good.
Speaker 2: Fly chamshit, it's black raffle coffee Doug.
Speaker 9: All right, all right, I'm all Jack the Bone black Rifle. I mean yeah, yeah, it'd.
Speaker 3: Be fun, all right.
Speaker 7: Last one, just like Cavante Turpin, there was a guy postgame that got to share a little bit of steak, little little Tomahawk action from Netflix, Little t bone action. The one thing that I will say, and Isaiah broke this down on the post game, I'm not giving this steak to Dak Prescott because he had an incredible game, because he's even said it and we said it. I think he missed a couple throws, but he did what he needed to do. I will give him this steak though, because if you go back and you will rewatch that moment where Cavanti Turpin takes a bite out of the tomahawk and then passes it to Dak, Dak deliberately had to switch the sides of the steak in order to eat the same portion that Cavante Turpin took a bite up, and then he hands it to Mike Irvin, and Mike Irvin just like like ripped right into it.
Speaker 9: Wow.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So what I'm gonna give it to I'm gonna give it to Dak Prescott for getting the job done on a day where Cowboys didn't play their best game, but he did have the awareness to turn the steak, and so he gets another steak from us here cowboys.
Speaker 9: I am immune.
Speaker 5: He survived the COVID years.
Speaker 9: So he cooks went off yesterday. Yeah, erectly. Yeah he had work.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, very nice.
Speaker 2: Good for him.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so that's it talking cowboys for him.
Speaker 5: Should we get be cooks going on?
Speaker 3: There be cooks? Do we have like a cook in the kitchen?
Speaker 7: Like? Yeah, anybody over here shout out to Cowboys players only all right?
Speaker 3: That does it for us here on talking Cowboys. Hope you had fun with us today.
Speaker 7: We will be back tomorrow, and we will be back on Wednesday as we get things wrapped up here in the twenty twenty five calendar year, and then we go back to a regular scheduled boom week Boom Tuesdays.
Speaker 3: At ten am.
Speaker 5: You know who will be stoked time? Who's at Jack Burton because he said catch you on the next one. This show sucks.
Speaker 3: He's gonna watch it. He's watching.
Speaker 5: But you'll be happy to know. We're going back to one show so funny.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 7: Oh brother, this guy, thanks for watching. We'll see you guys tomorrow with more talking Cowboys. This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.