Speaker 1: How long can I do? What?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: It's one more thing.
Speaker 2: I'm strong andy.
Speaker 1: One more thing. I'm a regular at the gym. My son and I are. We go almost every day, rarely miss a day at the gym. Came with the uh place I rent. We're in a neighborhood where they got a private club attached, and so we have a gym membership and we can walk to it and it's about a half mile each way, so it's great, get a mile walk in, lift some weights, et cetera. I've noticed all the young women they don't do a lot of lifting weights or anything like that. They do all these various kind of floor exercise stuff mostly lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's kind of big right now. Yeah, it is, yeah, because there are workouts you can do at home if you don't have equipment.
Speaker 1: Right. Well, I've been saying forever just to like save you time and money. If you're thinking of buying a home gym or a membership at a club or whatever, how about you try your floor. See if you can use your floor every day for two weeks. And if you can't, he ain't gonna do better with the gym for the home gym equipment. If you can't do push up sit ups. We're about to talk about planks, which I've never done before, or any of that stuff. It's just because it's really easy to fool yourself and think if I had the equipment, I would do it, or if I had the gym membership. But it's the doing it is the hard part. Anyway. I'm pretty regular and I mostly lift weights, but I feel like I should do some of this other stuff starting with I need to do some exercises for my buttocks. I want to improve my buttocks. Yes, Michael squats, glut bridges, glute bridges. I've heard that every time I google what you should do for your buttocks, it says glut bridges. Explain that what's a glut bridge?
Speaker 2: Lay on the floor on your back.
Speaker 1: Another floor exercise, don't need equipment.
Speaker 2: No equipment needed, Feed on the ground flat and knees bent. Then yeah, thrust your pelvis straight to the sky over and over again and eventually it's going to hurt.
Speaker 1: And you just like do it as many times as you can or.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it depends. I mean, you can add weight. You can put you know, a dumbbell across your hips and make it a weighted you know, so do you bridge?
Speaker 1: Do you understand this concept of activating your glutes? Okay? What is that all about? I there's this actually he's actually a comedian, but he's got a YouTube channel and he was talking about the activating your glutes and how difficult that is, and if you don't activate your glutes during an exercise, you're not going to increase them. And it's how do you know if you've activated your glutes? What the hell does that even mean?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it's just by you activate them by working out that particular muscle, Okay, So you would do certain things that that pinpoint that particular muscle, because when you have to use that muscle, you activate.
Speaker 1: That muschle, like glute bridges okay.
Speaker 2: Or lunges. Those are so fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then I wanted to get to planks because I'm gonna I want to try one. So I hear about planks a lot. My son has had to do them in school. Both my kids have dead do school football practice that sort of stuff. I've heard the term and I've never actually done one. I see all the young people the gym doing all the time. So for anybody who doesn't know, and I'm probably the only one that didn't. You start face down on the floor. You kind of look like you're gonna do a push up. You place your fore arms flat, elbows right under your shoulder, arms shoulder with the part. Then you engage your abs, then push up on your forearms, so it's like you're at the top of a push up, except you're on your elbows and forearms instead of your hands. Right. Yeah, and then you hold.
Speaker 2: It and you hold it and it is not a good time.
Speaker 1: Keep hips and stomach lifted so your body forms one straight line from ed deals again, it's like doing a proper push up at the top. Yeah, tighten your core, glutes and legs for stability. Breathe slow and steady, keep your neck neutral, have a heart attack, nearly die. Oh that's my part that I threw in. Ah uh, eyes slightly down. I don't know. I have to keep my eyes slightly down well.
Speaker 2: Because they don't want you bringing your head up, and because I can mess with your neck.
Speaker 1: Okay, And then I have the how long you should be able to do it at each age?
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm interested in.
Speaker 1: This, which is not very long. Now, this works your core, which is I don't know everything from your knees to your chest.
Speaker 2: I guess yeah, and you know some you know how there are different types of like targeting sit ups, so you can do like a certain crunch to work your lower abs or your you know, a different type of class.
Speaker 1: I just don't know that, but I believe you.
Speaker 2: Okay, well you're yeah, there are different sit ups to work different portions of your abs. Doing a plank handles all of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it says it works thirty five different muscle groups, which is why it's such a popular exercise. Yeah, thirty five muscle groups one exercise including all kinds of different abs, lower back, hips, glutes, diaphragm, pelvic floor. Oh, my pelvic floor is spectacular. Oh, I'm sure you know. Uh, and planks work them all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, are you gonna do one?
Speaker 1: I'm going to, but I want to get to the how long?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Just recently, a one hundred year old Long Island woman made headlines by holding a five minute plank. Five minute plank for one hundred year old woman of couse, she probably weighs sixty pounds. She's made of dust. I mean, what does she weigh? A six month old in Kentucky melted hearts online by holding a plank for thirty four seconds.
Speaker 2: Oh that baby didn't know what it was doing, so that's gonna shut up.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure the six month old knew what they were doing.
Speaker 2: That's six month old looking at a timer, begging for life not to end before its eyes. No, it doesn't have any idea how hard this is. Later on, what do you shoot for in terms of a length for a plank? Just as long as you can, Just as long as I can. I know, I know I can hold it for longer than a minute.
Speaker 3: I know that.
Speaker 1: But do you do a Michael?
Speaker 4: No, No, I'm been afraid to.
Speaker 1: You've been afraid to do a plank? What are you afraid it's going to happen?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's just a pain.
Speaker 4: I gotta get you know, I do weights, but I don't do anything for my stomach. I gotta get the stomach exercises going.
Speaker 2: Both of you need to plank during this podcast.
Speaker 1: My biggest concern is that I'm going to flatulate.
Speaker 2: It'll be great for the podcast.
Speaker 1: So in your twenties, you should be able to do a one to two minute plank. Okay, in your thirties. Uh, keep that one to two minute going, but it's gonna get harder then in your forties. Forties, one minute plank is fine. In your fifties, shoot for a thirty to sixty second plank, so it drops quite a bit in your fifties, and then in your sixties and above. Try to hold a plank for twenty to thirty seconds.
Speaker 2: Okay, you could, you can do thirty seconds.
Speaker 1: Uh, I would consider I'm gonna consider myself in my fifties because I've only been in my sixties for like sixty days.
Speaker 2: You could do it in a minute. You're you're fit, so that means it's thirty to.
Speaker 1: Sixty Yeah, okay, So I gotta take up my suit, so you're gonna have to time Michael.
Speaker 4: Okay, should I come in there or no?
Speaker 2: Michael? Yeah, uh huh, you have to do it as well. I will time.
Speaker 1: Well, you can't see us from where you're sitting, though Hanson can see us. Hanson, will you do the counting, Michael? Why don't you come in here and we'll both do them at the same time.
Speaker 2: This is exciting.
Speaker 1: This is exciting.
Speaker 2: So Hanson can play by play.
Speaker 1: Hanson's videoing it too, so this will be I'll be fantastic.
Speaker 2: You'll have to give us the exact moment when Jack's entire body starts to shake.
Speaker 1: I wish I wasn't wearing dress shoes. I feel like that's gonna make it harder because sloppy.
Speaker 2: Yes, no excuses, come on, Jim Man. Oh this is great.
Speaker 1: Taking this very seriously.
Speaker 2: People are looking into the studio, going, why is Jack stripping?
Speaker 1: What is michaelangel is wearing gymnasium shoes?
Speaker 2: So he's okay, okay, okay, I need to get in proper now. Just remember core core engagement very important here.
Speaker 5: Who's gonna who's timing this? I will you'll all you'll go and then you time it. Okay, Well, leave my headphones on. How about you move over there, Michael, so I can be here, Okay, when you are?
Speaker 2: We going for a minute or just go until you can't and I'll tell you how long.
Speaker 3: How long I can do?
Speaker 2: All right, well, just yell, go and I'll let you know how long you make.
Speaker 3: It on your mark. It's set, okay, straight handsome.
Speaker 2: Now at this exact moment, I can't see what's going on, Okay, Michael, Okay, it sounds like Mike, we've already we're already losing Michael Angelo. We're only at fifteen seconds. Oh am, I straight, interesting question from a guy. We will continue. I no, okay, we hit the thirty second mark. Guys, you're doing pretty good. I think I don't hear any crying.
Speaker 3: Michael is shaking. I have no shaking going.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, all right, straight.
Speaker 3: Enough hands, and I want to make sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if your butt is up in the air, you're cheating.
Speaker 3: It could be lower or higher.
Speaker 2: If you think about what it's called. It's called a plank, flat like a board.
Speaker 3: All right, I am starting to get tired now.
Speaker 2: It has been one minute on the.
Speaker 3: Dot's satisfied the need for men in his sixties. I'll see if I can satisfy.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's ambitious.
Speaker 1: Boy.
Speaker 2: I do not feel sorry for either one of you right now. I am thoroughly enjoying this.
Speaker 3: It's starting to feel painful. Ye Where does it usually hurt the most?
Speaker 2: In your core? It's going to be your abs are going to be burning.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: I can't stop because I have to outlast Michelangelo. Okay, no way, I'm quitting before he goes.
Speaker 2: There's no quiet word a minute, forty word a minute forty.
Speaker 3: It is starting to really hurt.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I believe it. Oh stop, did Michael tap?
Speaker 3: Michael's making noises, but he hasn't quit yet.
Speaker 2: Okay, as long as as long as nobody's died or flatulated, I think we're okay.
Speaker 3: I really thought it would be easier to outlast him than this. Okay, he's quit, he's quit. How long has it been?
Speaker 2: All right? Two minutes? Ten seconds?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 3: It two and a half, all right? And this hurts Jesus, Oh my god. Yeah, it's starting to be really painful. Yeah, like really painful.
Speaker 2: All right, you got ten seconds, Jack, come on, don't be a baby.
Speaker 3: Tell me when I hit two and a half, and I will quit.
Speaker 2: I will three two, one drop two and a half minutes.
Speaker 3: God, that was painful.
Speaker 2: I'm impressed. I am thoroughly impressed with both of you.
Speaker 3: That was That was the rest of Michael.
Speaker 2: I am Yeah, I'm blown away.
Speaker 1: I have job, guys, I actually expect to do good at stuff like that. I go to the gym every day. And yeah, but oh my god, that hurts.
Speaker 2: Doesn't that suck? Oh?
Speaker 1: That does suck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, planks and burpies are like my two most Just if I see those on the board from my class, I'm just like, f you, what's a burpie? A burpie is uh, you go down to the floor, you jump out into push up position, do a push up, jump back and jump up.
Speaker 1: Whatever.
Speaker 2: It's dumb is what it is.
Speaker 1: So I I always tell my kids this. I love the feeling of being sore. I freaking love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It just means I did something and I'm you know, I'm getting stronger and better everything like that. Yeah, but I'll be interesting. It's interested to see what's sore tomorrow from.
Speaker 2: Doing and laughing. Is the whooping cough gone?
Speaker 1: Yes? Most?
Speaker 2: Okay, good, he'll be all right.
Speaker 1: Okay, well this might be my new exercise. Then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the plank is it? That's I'm impressed. You guys held it so, Michael, you you opt at about two ten?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I started feeling it a little bit my lower back, and that's what started really concerning me.
Speaker 2: Your core wasn't engaged, Michael.
Speaker 4: Okay, my stomach. I felt in my stomach, but I started to feel it at the in there in my lower back. That's right.
Speaker 1: According to this article, and you just turned fifty, right, yeah, in your fifties and you're barely fifty, you should do thirty to sixty In forties, it should be a minute or longer, but you easily did that. Yeah. So it says in your twenties you should do one to two minutes. So we're as good as not fit twenty people, twenty year olds. Yeah, oh my god, I'm tired though. My arms are burning.
Speaker 2: Yeeze.
Speaker 1: I do arm exercises every day, and this was harder than that.
Speaker 2: My favorite line from my trainer Anita, if it burns, it grows.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I like that. I love that. Yes, that is another great example of do this and push ups or sit ups or whatever. And if you can do that on a regular basis, yeah, maybe get a gym membership. But if you if you're not to do this routinely talking to myself here too. If I'm not gonna do this stuff routinely, I'm a gym's not gonna help, right. Yeah.
Speaker 2: If it's that easy to do, you can drop and do it right.
Speaker 1: Here, right yeah. Or buying the right gear, that's another one. If I get the right shorts and matching shoes and really cool shirts, you know whatever. Anyway, Okay, that's enough of that.
Speaker 4: Oh and I think Marshall couldn't even do one push.
Speaker 1: Up our old news guy Mark for that. You weren't here for that, Katie, obviously, so our old guy news guy Marshall, who was actually old. His new year's resolution was to do ten push ups, okay, by the end of the year. And we all dropped down and did as many push ups as we could. I think Joe and I did like twenty or something like that. But he was going to try to do ten push ups by the end of the year. And what was the furthest he ever made?
Speaker 4: I think it was two and a half.
Speaker 1: I mean, poor old guy, and he ended up in the hospital. Guys he actually owned, which I don't think the company or our boss was happy about. He pulled something or what.
Speaker 2: I don't want to wonderful things about.
Speaker 1: Marshall's great guy, but he really overshot thinking he was ever going to do pushups. Never close.
Speaker 2: It's not something you need to do, Mark, So.
Speaker 1: Like the early going, it would be okay, there's kind of one, then that's it exactly.
Speaker 4: Well, at least we didn't make him do hurdles.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess that's it.