Speaker 1: God's Times, Sat Lake.
Speaker 2: Crackers by, We will see you To's the Gunner.
Speaker 3: Welcome One, hang Out, Welcome to the Just Baseball Show. It is Thursday, July thirtieth. That's Ryan Finkelstein. I am Peter Roppol and Jack mcmullon will join us a little bit later because Buster only of ESPN is here to break down the latest buzz surrounding the trade deadline. But first Think and I are going to go over this Angels Rangers trade. Chase Silseth Logan o'hafy is going to Texas in exchange for a nineteen year old prospect in flow Away. We're also gonna do some mock trades for Zach Netto seems like he's gonna be available now and Emerson Hancock before we get to that interview. And then Ryan and I are going to react to again Buster's latest buzz on the trade deadline. And it is all brought to you by bet MGM. Did your home run bet come up short today? Thanks to this MLB no Sweat home run token, you don't gotta worry if your bet didn't clear the fences. Just activate your token when you bet on any player to hit a home run in any MLB game, and if that player fails to go yard, you're gonna get your stake back in bonus bets. Keep the action in scoring position with bet MGM the King of the Big Swing. And if you use promo code Just Baseball and it's your first pick on bet MGM, remember to use code just Baseball to unlock that first offer where if your first pick loses, you'll get it all back. End bonus bets up to fifteen hundred bucks. Bink loaded show today before we get to all of the different topics. You are the managing editor over on Just baseball dot com and we have so many great articles coming out surrounding the deadline. Can you kind of break down what people have already seen and what they should expect as we get down to the deadline.
Speaker 4: But we have been in the lab myself and Jay, one of our talented writers who does prospect stuff for us. We made so many mock trades, couple separate, two hours zoom calls, just kicking ideas back and forth. We have mock trades out right now on schoogle. I did an article today about CJ. Abrams and just the absurd trade value. He would have if you were to get deut We talked about who else we've done, Joe, Ryan Mox we've done. We're having some articles out there for specific teams who are buyers mock trades to a perfect deadline. So just browse the site. There's a lot of good stuff right now, just previewing everything that could unfold hopefully starting this weekend.
Speaker 3: Here a lot of mocks, a lot of analysis, but we have an actual trade again. Yesterday we saw the alert the Angels have traded away Logan o'happy, their catcher, well kind of, and Chase Silseth, a reliever to the Rangers in exchange for nineteen year old prospect in low Ay and his name I think is Angel Eredondo. So sil Seth has a two seven to two ERA across what forty plus innings, and Logan o'happy has had a terrible season. So I tweeted out, I have no idea why the Angels would do this, And I thought to myself, that was a really dumb tweet because I feel like I know why the Angels did it. I just vehemently disagree with their reasoning. So I look at this trade and I say, that's what you think of Logan o'happy. Now I get it. Logan o'happy. You pull up the Baseball Savant page and it's disgusting. I mean, it looks like the ocean everything is blue. This season over two hundred and thirty four abs. He's hitting two oh nine, he's hit four homers, he's got a five sixty six ops. I understand that this season his value is completely tanked. Last year was also a negative war season out of him. But then I think to myself, he's twenty six years old. You look at spa track and he's making about eight hundred thousand dollars this year. He's heading into ARB two next year, which is going to be very very low. This was a salary dump trade that you would expect a thirty two year old to be attached, who's got no future and is making fifteen million dollars. This is Logan o'happy, the twenty six year old catcher that you the Angels traded for in exchange for Brandon Marsh. So not only did you clearly lose that trade, but on top of it, you send Chase Silseth, who is one of eight relievers this season to post an ERA plus over one fifty, meaning his era is fifty percent better than league average with ten strikeouts per nine. And he's also cheap, and he's also twenty six years old in exchange for what John Mozelock says could be a top ten prospect in the system, but what everyone else says is outside everyone's top thirty. So we'll see if he's right. I'd venture to say that he might be wrong, but again i'd love to be wrong. But that's at least my take right now. This is John Mozaeylock coming in, and I don't think with enough time to really evaluate what Logan o'hoppy is right. He was hired not that long ago and then he just said I feel like he looked at a spreadsheet and just said, all right, this is something that we don't want to pay, so we're just gonna get rid of him, when in reality, I personally would not give up on a twenty six year old catcher who two years ago hit twenty home runs and was a two win player and was actually graded out pretty well defensively. Did he just lose everything in two years or when the Angels acquired him pushed him up to the bigs too, fast at twenty two years old and didn't help him develop. So it's the Angel's fault for what happened to Logan o'happy. And then this new GM who I feel like didn't put in enough time to really realize what kind of asset Logan o' hoppy is and then dump him to a division rival. I hated this trade. What do you think?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I think, look, when I initially saw it, I had a similar action to you, and then I looked a little goo of Hoppy a little bit closer, and I kind of understood that side of it to a degree. You have two years of control after this season. That he is an arbitration I'm seeing on fangrasts two point six million dollars. But regardless, I can understand to a certain extent moving on from Ohapi, I guess like.
Speaker 3: I can understand that. But giving up right now.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, I mean it's like I don't think that Ohapi helped. I don't think Ohapi is a positive trade asset with what he's done the last two years. So to water down a legitimate trade asset and sell set that doesn't make sense. Like at that point, just cut o'hppy, like like, that's the part that that's kind of confusing about this is it feels like you watered down a trade asset by including o'hapi, or the Rangers really wanted him, but then you would have gotten more of a return. You get one prospect back for two big leaguers. It's it's a weird trade. The two trades that we have seen so far have both like completely put my mind in a pretzel, Like I don't understand what Breslo thought when he traded early for me. And at least that one is a little more justifiable this one, like it's hard to see exactly what the AMers are getting unless they just love this prospect.
Speaker 3: And on top of the two, you're sending him to a division rival who has needs for a catcher and a reliever, so you're helping your own division rival out in a trade where you've just decided that Logan o'hoppy has sunk goods and he might be. He might but a lot of people are very quick to just look at the Baseball Savant page, post it on their Twitter and say this guy is terrible and done and he'll never be anything. Have we not learned, ladies and gentlemen, Have we not learned that guys can bounce back, that young players with talent have the ability to maybe have a change of scenery.
Speaker 4: Well, like it's the other thing too, for him to.
Speaker 3: Be the guy he was two years ago when he hit twenty home runs and graded as an above average defensive catcher. We're acting like that that's impossible, because that's what the trade is. That Logan o' hoppies bounce back is impossible.
Speaker 4: What makes it worse the Rangers optioned him as soon as they acquired him. He had three options. Yeah, so like you had time to just parko Hoppy and triple A for a couple of years and see if you can work back to the big leagues as an above average bat. Again. So it's like, I don't know what the rush was that, Like you had to dump him right now and he had not top of mind, actually watered down in one of your better trade assets.
Speaker 3: And it's not that much money, right you say two million on spa track. You know, it gets complicated with arbitration and stuff. He's entering ARB two, But my guess is in ARB two he's going to make almost nothing. What Is it going to be a total of five million dollars? Is that what they saved? Is that worth it for all of Twitter to bag on you like those optics, all of it, and then on top of it, forget o' hoppy for a second, forget them. Chase Silseth is a solid reliever. I understand that the underlying metrics, like is expected is fifth as exit. All the NERD numbers are like a mid threes to high three ZRA, which tells us that his mid two ZRA is probably not going to last. But at the same time, it's because his walk rate is just pretty inflated about twelve to thirteen percent. He's elite at limiting hard contact thirty two percent hard hit rate that's in the ninety third percentile. He gets a ton of whiffs both in the zone and out of the zone because he sits ninety six miles an hour with his fastball with a really good developing splitter. Now I'm not saying he's an elite reliever, but I think he's a very solid sixth maybe seventh inning guy who will help every big league club, including the Rangers. And people are calling me dramatic in the comments. Sorry, I am. This is my real visceral reaction from the trade because I didn't understand it for so many reasons. But probably don't need to keep ranting on a trade that probably ends up kind of being nothing. But it did piss me off because I just felt it was a nothing by a GM who came in and was just like, I'm slashing prices. Take them. I'm not even gonna worry about it. It's like, all right, we moved on from perryman Ossi and we're hoping for better days ahead, and this just felt like one of Perry's really bad moves.
Speaker 4: Well, especially because you had four and a half years of control of pil Seth. I mean, like, I this is another one. I felt the same way with the Red Sox trading earlier, where it's like, did you canvas the league first? Like are there some teams that need relievers right now? But like we could have beaten that package for a reliever with four and a half years control. So that's the other part of it too, is you know, it's like, why did you feel like you had to make this trade right now? It you know what, and maybe maybe mosaalics, right, maybe this prospect they got back in two years. We're eating our words and he's a real impact guy for them. But I mean, what do you hear right now? He like the all I read was potential utility infielder one day. So it's not like get you netted some incredible prospects. It's it's a weird trade.
Speaker 3: It is a weird trade, and we are getting some pushback in the comments section from Tyler mcduffee two five four eight the trade is overblown. Sil Seth is mid and O'HOPI is ass still Seth walks everyone and gives up a ton of inherited runners. Sil Seth has four years but no options. He's a bad run from a DFA. I guess I just have to completely disagree with you completely two years ago. I don't know, Tyler, if you're an Angels fan. Two years ago you were not saying that. I guess we've just given up a twenty six years old. We've given up completely. I'm not going to sil Seth is mid by what metric, not era, not even his underlying era predictors. He does have a walk problem. He's not a perfect reliever, but he's twenty six and you say it's a risk because he doesn't have any options. What if I just think he's gonna pitch, well, would dead? And why would you even dfa if he does have a bad run. He's a twenty six year old converted starter with good stuff, so why would you even be a fan? So agree to disagree in the comment section. But with that said, I love talking back and forth with our comment section because I know our comments section is as smart of a comment section as there is for any baseball podcast. Thank you to everybody joining us here live on YouTube. The best way to support the show smash the like button and subscribe button, and if you're listening on audio after the fact, best way to support is leaving a five star review. I'm always going to read your comments because I respect your opinion. Sometimes we just disagree. Now think it's time for your opinion. You came up with this article or many of our other great writers on Just Baseball dot com zach netto mock trades. Clearly the Angels are open for business, so this one seemed very far fetched to me a few days ago. And now there's a possibility that everybody of value on the Angels could be on the move. So I'm more than happy to entertain some Zachnetto mock trades.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, Jay I wrote the article, but I also had include one of these mock trades in another article that we did where we were just breaking down kind of it's kind of a one stop shot for all the mock trads are putting out there, and so for the Netto part of that article, I remember writing multiple times like, we don't see twenty five year old shortstops with three and a half years of control getting traded, and so just that idea is kind of crazy. But if you are trying to restart a whole new rebuild here and you're looking at a trade market that doesn't have a lot of right handed bats, in particular at the shortstop position or just in the infield, zach Netto is a guy that absolutely, you know, should get them a big haul that would be worth moving them. So it's an interesting concept, but I think they can. They can definitely do well here. It's just a matter of which team ponies up and gives them the best possible return. I got. I got three mock trades here that are in the article that we can go through.
Speaker 3: Talk to me and I'm excited because with Netto, I really don't know what to think about him because you look at some of the defensive metrics and they certainly don't love him, but when I physically watch him, because again, defensive metrics are sometimes so tough because it's about defensive positioning right one year, a guy could be a lot better than the other. It's about where you're playing, like all this different stuff. I think defensive metrics are some of the metrics that I have the toughest time believing out of all the data that we have in Major League Baseball. I think he's a fine defender, but I want to focus on the bat because this guy's striking out a ton, striking out a ton thirty percent clip and it feels like he's selling out for power and he's just trying to get to thirty home runs. But at the same time, I wonder if he was on a competitive team, would that be his mo where he's just selling out for power like that? Because I know that he has more in the tank, and that's why he's such an intriguing player to try for. If you were to go to Boston, if you were to go to another team that needs a shortstop in the middle of a playoff run. Do we get the best version of zach Netto that we've ever seen when already the version that has quote unquote problems is still pretty damn good. So that's why I'm very curious to see hear what these mocks are.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I will to add on to that. I mean, the one reason why I could understand the Angels moving him is because while zach Netto has been a pretty much walking three to three and a half win shortstop year and you're at with a WRC plus round one, ten, one, fifteen, he hasn't gotten to the level of being the thirty thirty short stop who's putting up five win season. So a team that's trading for him might expect that they can get a little bit more and get him to that higher ceiling. The thing that you're also getting, though, is you're getting that floor, which is why I think, you know, for a lot of these teams would be a no brainer to try trade for him. The Red Sox is the first mock we have, and this one, I wonder if they can actually pull this up off. This would be a trade where they would be getting zach Netta without giving up one of their top two prospects if they wouldn't want to part with, which is Franklin Arius, who's I think number three on our top one hundred, and then Anthony Anson, who has like a one to one three er this year, a pitching prospect that's just absolutely disgusting. But Tyson Witherspoon's also a very good pitching prospect. He would be one of the headliners here. He was drafted fifteenth overall last season, so you're getting a recent first round pick. You're getting Marcella Meyer in this deal, who could become your stop gap at shortstop. You got Marcus Phillips, another pitcher, and Joline Cespitez, so a four for one deal. Witherspoon would be the biggest piece you're getting back. But Meyer's a plug and play guy, so I think, uh, that's one that I like, and to run through the other packages that we can get it to each one you got for the Rays. They have an unbelievable farm system. Brody Hopkins top fifty prospect in baseball right now, he's the starting pitcher. Caden Bonine is tearing the cover off the ball. It's a catching prospect who's in double A. Now they got him back in the Boz trade and Xavier Isaac, who is I believe a first base prospect, another really promising bat the Mariners.
Speaker 3: Real quick, real quick on Xavier Isaac, former top one hundred guy that fell out due to some injuries and he struggled at the plate. But he's had a better season this year, so that's still While he's not a top one hundred guy, he is certainly a really solid prospect.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. And then the Mariners trade, which we're talking about Hancock after Neto. That's the swap right there. It's Emerson Hancock going to the Angels. They also get Corbyn Dixon and out Or Dickerson and outfield prospect in the deal as well. But that's that's pretty much a self explanatory deal there where the Angels are getting a pitture they can sign to their rotation for four and a half seasons, and the Mariners get Neto.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say, And also Podcast P gave me this to be clear, Xavier Isaac fell off the top one hundred due to a brain tumor. I said injury. It wasn't exactly sure what it was, but that's you know, clearly tough, and it's so glad to see him battling back right there. So I like the fit with all three. All three makes sense. I'm just gonna cut the Mariners one. And maybe it's because I believe the Angels won't do another in division trade for their best asset. I'm hoping please don't trade zech netto within your division, even though I think it's a solid package. I like the Raise package the most. Yeah, But I think then what separates it is if the Angels say we need Franklinarius, a top three prospect in all of baseball, the second best shortstop prospect to Hay sus Made and the Milwaukee Brewers, you take your pick. Arm has even said, if you can try to tell me that Franklinarius is the nuber one prospect in baseball, Like, I'm not going to argue that much with you, Like that's how good of a prospect he is. I wonder what the Red Sox would say. They and the Angels could say, give us Arius and one more solid piece, we don't need all the rest of the guys in the steal. Do you think the Red Sox would go that far because they just tried to get the right handed bat. They need a right handed bat on the infield, and Curtis mead unfortunately it's nothing that you can control. Got hit on the wrist and is now going to be out for at least what four weeks? Six weeks I think it was. I think it might have been.
Speaker 4: It's either four to six or six to eight, but I mean exactly back until September.
Speaker 3: At this point, I almost feel like there's they're not desperate, but they're a level below desperate. And I don't know exactly the right word how to describe that right now, but they're a level below desperate. Do you think that's enough for them to say, all right, take Franklin, Arius, will take Zach Netto.
Speaker 4: I think you'd have a better chance prying Anthony Ainsen from them because of all the pitching depth that they have, and so maybe you swap out Witherspoon for Iyans And I just I will say in my Abrams article, I did put Arius on the table, but I just think that there while Neto is a better defender at short than Abrams, I just think that there's a different level with the season that Abrams is having Offensively, I don't know if I would do it personally, I don't think I would put Arius on the table for Neto. I think I try to do everything else but to get a deal done. Then again, if you're trying to go for it now and your Breslo and you feel like your job's in the line a little bit, I think we've seen crazier things. And I do think that in that instance, you're right, you wouldn't have to go much above Arius like Arius and one more prospect maybe gets it done, and you're basically giving up on the guy that you think could be your short step of the future for the guy that's going to be your short step of the president and can be a huge lift this season. So crazier things have happened. I wouldn't do it, but I wouldn't put it past Breslo to decide to just, you know, fire that that clip off and no matter what the reaction is from prospect Huggers, go for it this season.
Speaker 3: I'm with you. I think Franklinarius has to be reserved for a player that's better than Sacknetto, and I like Zacknetto. I think he's a really solid player. I think you would fit really nicely in Fenway, and I think they could unlock a little bit more with him and he could be a at least maybe twenty five to twenty five type shortstop. But from everything we hear about Franklinarius, people think he could be better than that. He's cheaper, younger, he could be up next year too, exactly. So I think that's why I've settled on the Rays. I think that's the best package because the Rays have the luxury of not feeling that package as much as other teams, and it's a loaded package. Brody Hopkins arm has come on and basically said that this guy is one of the tougher pitching prospects to evaluate in the minors just because it's either six perfect or he's walking the world. But you have that upside of a true number one guy. And Caden Bodine, he's one of the best, maybe the best defensive catcher I've ever seen watching college baseball, and he just so happens to be tearing the cover off the ball. And Xavier Isaac, a former top one hundred prospect who can really hit and play his position. I think this is a phenomenal package, and to be honest with you, I think it's a slight overpay, but at the same time, to get netto away from the Angels, you're gonna have to overpay a little bit. And there are only a few systems in Major League Baseball who I think can pallet and overpay, and that's the Dodgers, who have Mookie Bets at shortstop. Of course they can move into right field. I just don't think they're gonna trade for a short stop. It would be Milwaukee Brewers who signed Cooper Pratt to a long term extension and he looks great already, so they're not gonna trade for a shortstop. And the Tampa Bay Rays, so I think that's the best fit. Before we move on to Emerson Hancock, again, thank you everybody joining here live on YouTube. We're gonna get to the buster only video or interview. Excuse me in a second, but I do want to hear what you've cooked up for Emerson Hancock, the starting pitcher on the Seattle Mariners. Young comes with the years of control. We just watched him pitch pretty damn well against the Dodgers yesterday, continuing a great season for him. He's made big adjustments going into the season. He's lowered that arm slot, he's got that sinker, he's got that great sweeper, and you're seeing the YouTube highlights now, like this guy is just nasty. When I first saw him step on the mountain this season, I immediately said the Mariner's sixth starter might be the number two or number three and a lot of rotations. I got a lot of flak for it at the time, but now it seems like that's coming to fruition, and the Mariner said, we're willing to part with him because they have a million starters and Kate Anderson might already be better than Emerson Hancock. So let's hear those mocks.
Speaker 4: So we already mentioned the tray with Netto, so I won't even get into that. But I think the bigger thing is, all right, if you're gonna trade Hancock, you're trying to improve your roster for this season. So who are the the pieces that you could try to go after here with Hancock to improve this roster for a stretch run and the highest upside guy that you can get, the guy that will probably make the biggest difference. You could trade Emerson Hancock to the Padres for Mason Miller. That gets the ball rolling and Ryan Sloan is another really good pitching prospect. So for a Padres team that maybe a one point in time major. I probably thought that Mason Miller was going to be a starting pitcher when he traded for him. Now he gets that controllable starting pitching to help this rotation that they desperately need. And if you wanted to, you could throw some more pieces onto it. But I really do think that Hancock could be the headlining piece that gets you into the door here on Mason Miller. Will the Padres actually deal and we'll find out, but they have one of the better chips to try to get that deal done now. Making a trade with the Cubs, I think Army if mentioned on the show the other day, like a matt Shaw plus prospects for Emerson Hancock deal could make some sense. I don't know if matt Shaw to me, is the past that really puts the Mariner's lineup over the top right now, but there's something to be said about a guy that has as much control as matt Shaw does. But they can plug anywhere, and the fact that the Cubs also have a farm system to maybe put some sweeteners on it. The one that I came up with kind of last minute was the Orioles. And the reason why I did is because the reporting is that the Mariners want a right handed bat and they need high leverage leavers. So what if you got Taylor Ward yner Cano and some prospects as well. That's an interesting one as far as trying to win now this season and you have a little bit of control over Cano. I think it's two and a half years. Taylor Ward's obviously a rental, but that's kind of more the most win now outside of, of course, Mason Miller. But Misson Miller is just going to require obviously a haul on top of Hancock to get that deal done.
Speaker 3: So I still just don't see an indivision trade for these two pieces. I mean, I also wonder how much the Mariners would want to try trade for a short stop just because Colt to Emerson, right, they already extended him. He's supposed to be the shortstop of the future. And then you still have zach Netto for years of control. So how does that move around? It might not matter that much.
Speaker 4: Well, just a note on that one, because I was looking into it. Emerson is not having the best start right now. You could have Emerson go down to the miners for this season and you know, maybe calm up in the stretch round and give you a little bit more youth for a playoff push. But you could have him kind of work on some things, and then next year when JP Crawford hits free agency, you could slide Net over to third. So that's the way I'd look at that one if that trade came together. But like you mentioned, the indivision part of it could just be too big of a hurdle.
Speaker 3: I also got to say, the Padres one, what are you smoking. You're saying they would give up Emerson, Hancock and the number one pitching prospect in baseball and Ryan Sloan. Now I fully understand there's also Kate Anderson in that farm system, and maybe he's the number one pitching prospect in baseball. But when arm and I were talking about those two and how to rank them when we were in Philly for the All Star Game, he said he still thinks that Ryan Sloane might be better, and that he saw him at the future like this guy is top of the line. I think Ryan Sloan and other prospects might even be too much for Mason Miller. And I'm the biggest fan of Mason Miller, I think on the planet outside of San Diego. I think he's the best closer we've seen in Major League Baseball since Mariano Rivera. And then includes primer role as Chapman, Prime Craig Kimberl prime Kenlee Jansen, who I think should all be Hall of Famers. I think this is a different level. It's a different level of reliever. However, Hancock and Sloan, no way, no way, no way, it's not worth it for the Barriers. Now the next two, that's where we could start talking. And I totally agree with you. I think Matt Shaw's a good asset because of how cheap he is, how many years of control he has tore through the Miners majors hasn't exactly all the way clicked yet, and the Mariners need someone to help them win now. So I like the Matt Shaw trade in theory, but I think the Mariners are saying to themselves, if we're trading Hancock, we need someone who's gonna help us right now, and I don't know if Matt Shaw is that guy to help them right now. So I land on the Orioles package, and I think it's fascinating because the Mariners get that right handed hitding, corner outfielder. It's really solid, right used to play in that division, knows temobile well, Yen your Canoe has.
Speaker 4: Been nasty this season.
Speaker 3: It's kind of been up and down as a reliever throughout his career, but this season he looks like the classic Yann of your Canoe, who can stabilize the eighth inning and be that right handed reliever that I think the Mariners really need outside of Andres Munnos because they have two really solid lefties in Ferrara Inspire, but Brash is in and out and has been injured, really nasty, win healthy, but just hasn't been all the way healthy. So to solidify the eighth with Cano, maybe another prospect, And you mentioned who could be that additional prospect.
Speaker 4: So one prospect I put on here was you might need help with the name what he alloy? Yeah? Yeah, so you know, high draft pick last season, right, and a guy that has had a pretty good season so far. And again that was just one name. I don't know exactly what the Mariners will be looking for in terms of prospects. It was more kind of that win now aspect of getting Ward and Cano, But that was just one name I threw on there. It could be I for I could be a couple of lottery tickets lower lower down too. I think it's a matter of if you're really pushing to win now, that orials package kind of saws everything for your roster, and it's the way you kind of reallocate what is obviously your strength right now, which is starting pitching. If they've made the assessment that they can get by this year without Hancock, and Hancock can fill out their roster, that kind of fills out their roster.
Speaker 3: So to review these four deals, the Angels, I like it. I don't see indivision. The padres you're smoking something awesome and hopefully we can talk offline about what you're smoking. I want a little piece of that. Number three, the Cubs move like. I just don't know if Matt Shaw had America is enough to win now. And I think you agree. But in theory it's perfect. In theory, it's perfect. But number four of the orioles I think is the best one. I think it helps both teams right now, solves issues I would send that in. That's probably my favorite mock trade that you've brought up so far in this entire thing. I think that's perfect.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I like it a lot, and it's funny. I was the one I came up with at the very I was like just trying to find the landing spot because it's tough to find a combination of teams that are in it that would one handcocker and it had to be in it, but have the pieces that could help the Mariners win, now.
Speaker 3: No doubt about it. So now I think it's finally time to have a sit down with ESPN's Buster Only but podcast P. Before we get to that, let's hear a quick word from our friends at Hampton Farms Peanuts.
Speaker 5: Just Baseball's number one ranked peanut prospect is none other than the Hampton Farms in Shell peanut hit tool plus plus that crack of the shell is elite power easy plus seven grams of protein per serving makeup great source of fiber in America's number one in shell brand. This is a five tool snack future value eighty grade. Get the top peanut prospect in the produce aisle or twenty five percent off at Hamptonfarms dot com with code just Baseball. That's one word, just baseball for twenty five percent off at Hamptonfarms dot com.
Speaker 3: We welcome on our friend Buster only of ESPN to break down the latest as the clock ticks until the trade deadline. Buster. Thank you so much for taking the time to join us again. And I think an important first question is kind of laying the groundwork for what to expect with the upcoming labor negotiations and how it's going to affect teams at the deadline. Fields inevitable that we're going to get locked out on December first, and hopefully we don't lose games, But how is that affecting decision making right now?
Speaker 6: Well, it's just greatly complicated.
Speaker 7: Anything if any player is under contract beyond the rental like depending free agents are easy, and the bulk of the players are traded before six o'clock on Monday are going to be those guys who are head of the open mark in the fall. But anytime you get players involved where it goes beyond twenty twenty six. There's all kinds of variables in play in an industry which doesn't like variables like they don't like uncertainty, you know.
Speaker 6: And there are number of those.
Speaker 7: If you have a player who, let's say that he's a free agent after twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 6: I'm thinking out loud about Joe Ryan.
Speaker 7: Not that he's out there, but you know, if you're a team that's willing to acquire him, and you try to value what you want to give up, you're willing to give up for him, Well, how do you factor in twenty twenty seven if you believe you're going to miss some of that year, all that year you're worried about existing contracts, Like for example, two weeks ago, when the Mets essentially put out this list where we're willing to trade Wan Soto or excuse me, not willing to trade Jan Soto or a group of young guys, but everyone else was in play. You know, the first name everyone went to was Francisco Lindor. My thought was, why would they be that stupid to put his name out there?
Speaker 6: What is the point of that. No one is going to take.
Speaker 7: Francisco Lindoor besides the fact he hasn't had a great year. But with the uncertainty about what the economic system is going to be going forward, who's going to take on a contract with a player making thirty five million dollars.
Speaker 6: So any player who's.
Speaker 7: Under contract beyond twenty twenty six, there's just so much uncertainty about what's to come, and you know how you fit a players under contract. And now there are exceptions. For example, you know, hearing on here on Thursday morning that Hunter Green is available, and I was told by one source it's fifty to fifty that he gets traded. He's the sort of player who has a contract that's sort of immune to that uncertainty. You know, he's making eight point three million dollars this year, he's in line to make fifteen point three million dollars in twenty twenty seven, sixteen point three million dollars in twenty twenty eight, So he's a bargain right and no matter what the economic system is going forward, he's going to fit into that. It's the bigger contracts, it's the uncertainty about guys who maybe they are free agents after five years instead of six years, that I think are going to generally speaking, chase general managers to making deals for players who are pending free agents.
Speaker 8: It's interesting because it seems like based on all of the reporting from yourself and others that the market is kind of skewing to two sides of the spectrum.
Speaker 3: In the middle is very tough.
Speaker 8: So to your point about the guys that have a year and a half of control, that's bizarre, But the rental market's going to be good. And then we also see like the one big deal quote unquote that has gone through Curtis is pre rm he's.
Speaker 3: Got four and a half years of control. Apples for apples.
Speaker 6: That was an apples for apples deal.
Speaker 8: I mean, it's these guys are in the you know post whatever this offseason looks like in that post, you know, twenty six to twenty seven offseason world, they are Washington Nationals in Boston Red Sox for the foreseeable future.
Speaker 3: So are we going to see.
Speaker 8: Guys that like, maybe even younger and more controllable than typical possibly get moved to this deadline or not so much?
Speaker 6: No, they're being asked about. I'll give you an example.
Speaker 7: Okay, there are a lot of teams looking for catchers, and from what I understand, there's a lot of focus on guys who are controllable, like a hoppy was a guy who fits that bill, right, and they'll run through those possibilities. Teams will run through those possibilities. And I think at the last second, knowing that you have these pending free agents, these rentals that they can grab at the last second, and there is a volume of those type of guys, especially in the starting pitching market, you know, why not explore are one Hunter Green who not only do you have the upside, not only have that player under contract, but you also can fit that player into your future economic system, whatever that is. And so I think that that's how teams are sorting through it, right. They're going through the players, possible controllables, guys who can help them beyond twenty twenty six, and then they're going back to the free agents because they are you know, those are the focus.
Speaker 3: So a fascinating team of this deadline is the Washington Nationals, who have already made a move for Connolly early and as we speak are a game above five hundred and you tweeted out this morning that they're exploring an extension for Foster Griffins similar to the Seth Lugo deal, And then my mind immediately goes to a player like CJ. Abrams. So in general, what are you hearing out of Washington.
Speaker 7: I think when we hit the deadline that that kind of early trader will be the biggest thing that the Nationals do. You know, it's always possible that they could, you know, work on the edges of their It's been a year of progress no matter what happens the rest of the year for the Nationals. That you know, incredible offense that they've had. The Foster Griffin thing makes so much sense to me, like he's been really good for them. He said a terrific year twelve and two, two seven six era. And yeah, the comparison to Lugo, I think is a natural one because we saw last year Kansas City, as we get close to the trade deadline, people wondering if Lugo is going to be traded, and they use that opportunity to go to Seth Lugan and say, hey, what about an extension and Seth Lugo, you know, like Foster Griffin this year, wasn't in a position to command a huge deal. You know, he just got back after three years in Japan, and so the Nationals will try to work something out with them.
Speaker 6: My guess is they do. I mean, when you're talking about a player who's.
Speaker 7: Gone on his path, on his journey, and with the uncertainty of the labor market, if you can go out and I'm pulling numbers out of the air, let's say three for forty five, you can grab that. Now, that would look pretty good, and I don't, but you know, we'll see where that goes.
Speaker 6: I think it's very unlikely they trade CJ. Abrams, and I've heard that from other teams.
Speaker 7: Where they're feeling is, look, you know, after this incredible year that CJ has had the Nationals, if you want a trade for him, you're gonna have to give.
Speaker 6: Up a boat load.
Speaker 7: And then we get into all those variables we were talking about before, about twenty twenty seven and beyond. It might be a difficult guy to put a price on, a difficult guy for an acquiring team to actually pay for.
Speaker 6: So I think he'll be with the Nationals through the deadline.
Speaker 8: You know what's interesting about Washington and Abrams in particular is when they traded Gore, everybody thought Abrams was a foregone conclusion because the second half slide, because Washington, over the course of Abrams' career, has always been out of it. After the all star break and Abrams production has taken a dip, but now that they're in it, he is a top ten player in baseball by ops. Is this Abrams breakout on field the largest indication of why they are holding him? Maybe it's almost like a sense of newfound riches for Paul Tibonian Washington saying we didn't know he was this good. This guy is a solidified building block along with James Wood.
Speaker 6: I think all of the above, that's definitely part of it.
Speaker 7: I also think that the timing and the labor situation that we're talking about, you know, the difficulty of getting a player in return, and let's face it, I mean, and I have not asked this question to Paul Deboni, but you know, given the defensive metrics, you wonder where Abram is going to be in two or three years. You know, he has had some struggles at shortstop, but the big thing and we have the Braves and Nationals on television tonight.
Speaker 6: So I talked to Paul Deboni recently about his improvement.
Speaker 7: I asked him, Okay, you guys have been so good on offense, who are the leaders of that? Because they had the messaging at the beginning spring training, about wanting to put in work and trying to get better, and he talked about how James Wood and CJ have really this year. It had a commanding presence in the team hitters meetings. Right, they got a good thing going, They're getting better. There's a lot of excitement about about this team, and what is the cost of ripping that up by trading CJA Abrams. Now I'm sure that's a factor as well, but from what he said, c J. Abrams would have just been right at the center of this improvement they've maathe.
Speaker 3: So speaking about Abrams, who's just a gigantic asset. I saw a clip from brit Grioli this morning, who does a great job covering baseball for the Athletic and she said that when the trade deadline takes place, like every team is using a model to assign a dollar amount to every player all the round, to the minor leagues, to kind of properly evaluate their value. So who would you say is the model's pick for the most valuable player that's available at this deadline? Because I think about Eric's Scooble, he's a rental and he's going to get paid about ten million dollars, So I don't think the model would love him. I think Mason Miller, but I also don't know if he's available, and he is a reliever at the end of the day. So I'm curious if you've heard or it's just your opinion of who might be the models pick for the most valuable player traded at this deadline.
Speaker 7: And think about it too, with some of the possible acquiring teams we've heard on Schooble to draw at your point to a larger degree, if you are a team that is looks like it's going to get a buy, if you're the Dodgers, right, how many starts are you talking about with Schooble, you know, acquiring him and the cost of acquiring him versus the cost of acquiring one of the many, many, many starting.
Speaker 6: Pitchers who are available in this marketplace, is it worth it?
Speaker 7: If you are a team that is on the fringe of maybe making the playoffs, do you feel like that that makes a difference. So it is the models are interesting, and you hear snippets when you talk to general managers that you know they're what's being spit out.
Speaker 4: Of their model.
Speaker 7: You know, Hunter Green is a good one for sure, like in terms of what his value is because he's under contract going fullward. You know, that's the one that jumps to me again, because they're not It doesn't feel like right now that there are necessarily a lot of players who are like actively being bandied about, who are under team control for another four or five years. I think that's part of the reason why there was such a you know, visceral into industry reaction to the Nationals getting getting Coin only Early because he's viewed as a really great asset and you guys know this, you've heard this. The general perception within the industry was, Man, the Nationals crushed it. I think everyone understood why the Red Sox did it.
Speaker 6: They needed a right handed hitter. That's the weakness. Right now they're trying to make the playoffs.
Speaker 7: There's probably a little bit more flexibility for Washington in terms of, you know, not worrying about as much about twenty twenty six and worrying more about a long term future. Conly, Early actually was probably a guy when you talk about value over the term of the team control that's hard to beat because they got them so early in his time.
Speaker 8: Buster, I have a question about two small market teams that perpetually will add on the margins that are apparently positioned to push a lot of chips in at this deadline. And it's the Tampa Bay Rays and the Milwaukee Brewers yep, and both seem to be looking for a possible front line starter. Both could be fits for schoobl and both could be looking to make splashes offensively as well.
Speaker 3: What does all in actually look like for Milwaukee and Tampa?
Speaker 7: Well, I guess the two best models from small market teams in the last fifteen years, their best twenty years with CC Sabathia in two thousand and eight, right with them going for it down the stretch and CC really paying off, and the other ones in twenty fourteen when Billy Bean sort of broke away from the A's model and he traded for John Lester and Jeff Samargia and at that time giving up you know, Addison Russell, you know, is considered to be a top prospect. But it doesn't happen very often. And here's the mitigating factor. I mentioned all the starting pitchers available. Yes, Milwaukee could absolutely use a batman to the MISERRASKI. I mean, you know, a Robin to the Miserraskie Batman. Uh, you know, I had Pet Murphy on my podcast last week and he talked about how they ran out of pitching when they went through that Chicago series in the playoffs last year they got the Dodgers and they were taxed at that point. You can go out and get help in starting pitching without ripping up your farm system.
Speaker 6: You can.
Speaker 7: I mean, there's just so many guys out there, Freddie Peralta, you know, Holmes, Dustin May, Robbie Ray on and on and on.
Speaker 6: I mean, you know Gossma, Yeah, Casey miz sene Bieber.
Speaker 7: If the Tigers decided to sell on Schoogle et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. So there are a couple of different paths that you can go and those two organizations. Part of the sustainability that they've had, Cleveland has.
Speaker 6: Had is to be careful right and to not break out side of that model.
Speaker 7: So I I and they'll always fish, you know, Eric Neanders, you guys know will will evaluate a lot of different options, whether it's joey Otani and Freddy Freeman, and they'll look at a lot of different things and most of the time, they wind up playing more of a conservative route, and given their needs and given what they're out in the marketplace, my guess is that's where they wind up landing and.
Speaker 3: Speaking about Schooble and speaking about the Brewers and the Rays. I think the favorite, at least at this point to land Trek Schouble would be the Dodgers just makes the most sense. They need a starting pitcher. They have this glut of a system. They can give the Detroit Tigers a top twenty five prospect, one of their four major outfield prospects, plus an MLB ready starter. Who would you say is the second favorite to land Trek Scooble after the Dodgers.
Speaker 7: I mean, let's face it, if the Tigers decide they're trading Terek Schooble, and as you and I are talking right now, that is, you know, the hard message. The white smoke has not come out from the Tigers organization yet to the industry. But if they decide trade for him, the Dodgers won them. The Dodgers are going to get him, you know, they can act with more flexibility. And then one official say to me that they are hell bent on going back to back to back this year in winning championships, especially with the uncertainty of what the financial model is going to be going forward after that.
Speaker 6: I'm looking at Milwaukee.
Speaker 7: I feel like that when you have the mizz and what he represents, and you get into a short series, you have him, you know, and you had a Terrek's schoolb Good lord, how much fun would that be? You know, the top two guys in the conversation right now, who the best picture in the planet is. And look, that was a an ugly disastrous loss on Wednesday, But those first five innings.
Speaker 6: Rek Scoulbel was dealing like he is.
Speaker 7: Fully past that elbow surgery. They add, you know, up to ninety eight, ninety nine miles per hour. He's spotting, is you know, spotting his fast ball? His stuff was electric. And I know this like Mark att Nasio is the owner of the Brewers, he has that, uh. I think he has that within him to say, you know what, let's let's freaking go for it. We have this sort of team that can win. But that's just a guess.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Buster, I've got I've got another about two big buyers, and they are both on slides on varying scales. I think Atlanta has had like kind of a slow burn slide, but Philly is not playing good baseball at all right now. And you've got these two teams sitting atop the National League East, And I think a lot of Braves fans were sitting here, you know, saying, why isn't Buster talking about Atlanta going to get Treks Schooble. What does buying look like for the Atlanta Braves in the Philadelphia Phillies right now?
Speaker 7: Well, I think and also, let's face it, Atlanta isn't as steeped in their farm system as.
Speaker 6: The Dodgers or the Brewers or the Rais.
Speaker 7: They have a better farm system they did two years ago when the gar Crochet talks was going. We're going on two years ago, the Braves didn't have, right they didn't necessarily have what it took to get that deal done.
Speaker 6: They do now, but you would basically be stripping a lot of what they have.
Speaker 7: And we talked about the how the starting pitching market really is a buyer's market. The Braves are going to get somebody. They'll they'll make a deal at some point for one of those guys. And I think the Phillies too, you know, And you do wonder after the loss of Keller last week, if the need for a bullpen arm, you know, somebody who can impact the seventh and eighth inning that has gone up in the pecking order. What Dave Debrowski is going to look for. I understand Bryce Harper sentiment. You and I have heard a lot of players talk like that leading up to a trade deadline. Dave Dembrowski's history is he goes and gets players at the trade deadline, and I think he'll do that.
Speaker 6: Both those teams are going to get better before the deadline.
Speaker 3: Buster. Thank you so much for coming on. I know you're an incredibly busy man. My last question for you was just open ended. Could you leave us with a golden nugget, just something that you're here that we haven't talked about yet.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 7: Now I'm going through my rolodex exactly, man, my mental rolodex of things that are that are happening, you know, And I don't know.
Speaker 6: I don't know if this is a golden nugget.
Speaker 7: But I'm really curious about the Seattle Mariners because they have been baseball sleeping giant all year.
Speaker 6: You've been waiting for them to take off.
Speaker 7: And I was looking at these numbers earlier this year or earlier today about how some of their guys have performed. Right, Kyl Rawley's gone from seven point two WAR to negative zero point two War. Okay, Julio Rodriguez has gone from six point six WAR all last season to two point six this year. Josh Nayler was two point two WAR with the Mariners after they got him. He's now negative zero point one. Brian Wu has gone from four point three to zero point seven. If you're sitting in the Seattle front office, do you believe that this team could turn it around?
Speaker 6: Definitely? In Ay, you're like absolutely, what's going on here? But now? And I think still add but I kind.
Speaker 7: Of wonder if there's gonna be a proportional response, if that makes sense, Like, you know what, we'll go and do some things, but we're not going to go crazy trying to, you know, jump start this team where that the transmission just might be shot for this year.
Speaker 3: The Orioles are another confusing team to me, just because I know that they're in the same bucket. Would they sell, would they buy? Would they do it at the same time? That's what keeps rattling around in my head.
Speaker 6: Okay, And I'll just give you a thought on the Orioles here too.
Speaker 7: I mean, what was it four years ago when there were two games out in the wildcard race and they were like, eh, you know, it's okay, we're not going to compaint Pete and they traded away a couple of players. Well, if they buy this year and don't trade away players, where's the consistent threat of thought in that?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 6: I mean if you weren't willing that team four years ago was so much better than this year's.
Speaker 7: Team, they were playing better and they weren't willing to augment that team at the deadline. If you do that this year, is that like pouring pink down a hole?
Speaker 4: Exactly?
Speaker 3: Buster, And thank you so much for coming on. It's always a pleasure to have you, Jackie. Got anything else or.
Speaker 8: Bones appreciates you. You are a busy man, appreciates you carving out some time. Absolutely, Yeah, and thanks for having me, guys. I always love talking with you.
Speaker 7: And I apologize for the fits and starts on this thing. Messages coming in, calls coming in. It's that time of year.
Speaker 3: You're a busy mat it is that time of year. Well, Thanks again, Buster, We'll have you on again soon.
Speaker 6: All right, that sounds great, See you guys.
Speaker 3: Seeah, imagine you take your seat at the ballpark, the smell of fresh cut grass and ice, cold beer, peanuts, and the promise of three hours of uninterrupted baseball. What if you could bring the ballpark home to you with Hampton Farms Peanuts. You can, America's number one in shell brand can be found in your local produce aisle, or twenty five percent off at Hamptonfarms dot com with code just Baseball. Bring the ballpark home to you with Hampton Farms Peanuts.
Speaker 8: Top of the ninth, outside the friendly Confines, here comes the famous peanut pizzplitter.
Speaker 3: Hampton Farms Peanuts. Fun to crack, better to eat. Get twenty five percent off a large assortment of nuts on Hamptonfarms dot com using code just Baseball.
Speaker 4: Special.
Speaker 3: Thank you to Buster only for coming on again the show. He is so kind with his time, and I don't know for any of you listening here live on YouTube. He saw a couple of cuts at the beginning. That's because he's fielding calls during the interview. He had to pop out for a second just to get another call because the rumors are swirling, and I think the biggest rumor fink that he just dropped is is it a rumor if he says it right? What he said was fifty to fifty shot that Hunter Green gets traded. And we had an inkling that this might be a possibility because Ken Rosenthal put out a report earlier saying that the Reds were getting significant interest for Hunter Green, so we thought maybe we should we should start kicking the tires on a potential Hunter Green trade. But then he just said fifty to fifty. So now I feel like it's fair to actually do some Hunter Green mock trades. And you are a mock trades guy, what do you got?
Speaker 4: This is a really hard player to kind of gauge value on because he hasn't been healthy this season, there is significant injury risk moving forward. Still, you have a guy with this type of an arm, and you know you have to factor that into some level. He does have control, right, Buster said it on the show two years that he's under contract after this season. You still have a twenty one million dollar option in twenty twenty nine with a two million dollar buyout. So it's a really tough one. Because I would say stuff wise, outside of School Bowl, there couldn't be a more electric arm on the market. The risk, the contract, I don't know, Like I still haven't properly figured out where I would slot him into our trade value list, because we've done it. We've ranked fifty players based on trade value. Here's a couple mocks that that makes some sense. First of all, if the Dodgers strike out on Schoolble or not even strike out, maybe they decide, you know what, we would rather take a chance. So injured starting pitchers are a specialty. We'll get a Hunter Green right for the postseason a couple times over the next three years and make it worth it if they throw that Zayre Hope, River Ryan package the Red's way, if you just put that on the table, it's it's as good of a package you're gonna find. So it's like that alone, you're talking about two guys who are like right around forty in our top one hundred right now, Like that starts a conversation. So it's like, if you're the Dodgers, what would you prefer one year of schoolbul or Hunter Green?
Speaker 3: Like with all this control, So I'll butt in for a second I think they'd rather have Schooble just because, like Buster said, they want to go back to back to back and be the first team to three peat since those late nineties Yankees. And I feel like Hunter Green is he's not a project because it's Hunter freaking Green, but it's hard not to look at his seven six er and really say that he's still coming back from an injury. But I feel like Terrek Scooble, at least we saw him yesterday dominate. I know the Tigers ended up losing, but that was because of the bullpen that had nothing to do with Terrek Scouble. He has looked utterly dominant himself over his last few starts, so he's ready to rock, and I feel like that's more important for the Dodgers considering they also have starters returning from injury. We've heard all the time about Shoho Tani and the knee, but how about Glass, Noow and Snell that still sit on the il. So I feel like if they were to add and swing big for a starter, it's got to be Schooble, even though I totally understand why you threw them in this bucket because they have the farm system to do it, and they have the need in their rotation. Who are some other teams you think could be involved?
Speaker 4: One more quick note on that. I guess the scenario that could unfold is, let's just say the Rays of the Birds. I have the farm system to get anyone. If one of those teams goes all in for school Ball and get Schoolble and there's still time left, then that's maybe where you see, you know, the Dodgers shifting that package over to the Reds for Green. Now, a couple of the teams, the Braves are really interesting, and I have my resident Braves expert in Dylan Short that whenever there's a mock trainer to say, hey, who would you deal? And this is what he said me. He said one of Walter Ritchie Or Murphy cam Kimminetti, Alex Lodiz and Owen Carry. So that was his package. That's so much he was willing to put on the table. And that's a lot. Said enough. You don't think it's enough.
Speaker 3: I think it's a fair deal. I think you're gonna have to overpay to get Hunter Green. And I think what Dylan said this is what is fair, which I agree. But if the Reds were to move their top asset, you're gonna have to overpay, and that's not an overpay.
Speaker 4: That's fair, I guess. I just I think this is where Hunter Green's interesting because it's not just a slam dunk that he's going to be awesome for the next two and a half years and that's going to be a good contract like this was. If Hunter Green had two and a half years of control and arbitration and he wasn't making what he's making, I think that it would be more obvious like that you could get the two top one hundred prospects plus more on top. Like I think that that would be a little bit of an easier trade to make. That's a tough trade to make. You for the bravese to give up, to give up more than all of what we just talked about there.
Speaker 3: And the Rays and Brewers are fascinating, But you have a trade for Tampa.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for Tampa. I just thought, I mean, look, you can mix some match however you want. If the Red said you want to controllable starting pitchers, you could go Hopkins and Michael Ferrett or Ty Johnson, the guys that are in Triple A. If you want to go multiple bests they can do that. The package I put was again Bowdeye Hopkins and Tayton Gray. That's like, arguably, I think if Titan Gray's not on the top one hundred yet, or he might be, but he is already, so yeah, I mean, and Bodad's not on the top of one hundred, but he very well could be on an update. So that's that's pretty much like three top one hundred talents one hundred greens. So that's where the Rays still have the farm system to kind of overwhelm where it's really from doing all these mock trades. I think the simplest thing that I can say is the Brewers and the Rays are two teams that have all of the capital in the world right now that we don't typically see aggressively by and I just wonder if they're going to push the chips in who that player that they seek is, whether one of them lands schooable, whether they try to get in on one of these short steps that might be out there, might not be out there, whether it's a hunter green trade. Like, they have the capital to do anything, and I just wonder if they're going to swing for the fences or we're going to see like like Clay Holmes go to one, Freddy prawl to go to the other one, and they just kind of make those typical moves that we've seen from these teams.
Speaker 3: I want to give you two more teams to think about, and number one is the Chicago White Sox, And I'm thinking to myself, if Hunter Green was on the table, that's when they could be pushed to trade away a Caleb Bonnamer. Who's their top prospect. I mean maybe Rock Schilawski is their top prospect now, but with Vargas playing third, with Colson Montgomery playing shortstop, with Rock Scholawski coming up soon, Bonamer could be a guy who is a phenomenal prospect. And you would need a lot more than Bonamer. But they have a pretty solid system. I feel like they could put something together for Hunter Green. They're in need of a starter, but you also have years of control with Hunter Green, which helps. Again, their timeline is they get better and better as their guys just continue to age and they bring up more prospects. So that's one team. The other team, obviously is the Milwaukee Brewers, but I just don't know if there's going to be an Indivision trade and the wild card team, and it just spawned in my brain. What about a Mason Miller for a Hunter Green swap? And here's my thinking. All right, the Reds they have a lot of good starting pitchers, and they have good young starting pitchers coming up the pipeline too. What if the Reds always needed for what feels like a long time, and I, like Amelia Pegot, he ain't Miller, nobody's Miller. He ain't Miller. So you shut the game down at eight innings for the next three and a half seasons, and the Padres take the big swing with Aj Preller on Hunter Green. And now you might say, well, Hunter Green is more valuable asset than Mason Miller.
Speaker 6: He might be.
Speaker 3: Miller does come with an extra year of control, and he's a lot cheaper. Yeah, I'm not saying it's a perfect deal, but I think the bones are there.
Speaker 4: So that one's so interesting because I do think that Miller has more trade value, as crazy as that is to say. And the reason I think that is because, like you mentioned, for one, the contract difference. Although I will say Mason Miller is going to be getting paid through arbitration for sure, he's making four in our one. I bet you that jumps to like ten next year, maybe fifteen sixteen after that. And I think that Mason Miller in his final year of ARB is going to be the first time we see like a reliever through arbitration clear in twenty million dollars. So it's that right there makes me wonder, like, would the Reds do it? I almost think that's like a three teamer where it's like, you know, Miller goes to a contender, some prospects go back to the Padres on top of Hunter Green, and then some more prospects go to the Reds. Like, but that's that's a really galaxy brain trade the White Socks. I definitely think that's a viable Who is the other one that we had in the middle there?
Speaker 3: Just the Brewers because they can do it. I just don't know if, again, the Reds are trading their best asset in division to a team that needs it. But they might just get blown out of the water by Milwaukee's prospect hall and just say we have to. It's better than anybody else's deal, So I need to throw them in there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you have to throw them in there. I think for them too, Like I wonder if they would want to, like as crazy as it it said, like would they want the Hunter Green contract? It's literally like for them, that's a big contract. The White Sox one is a really good fit. And I actually did text Elijah before we required about them, and he loves Bonimer, so he said he wouldn't want to trade Bonember for Hunter Green.
Speaker 3: What Elijah, I hope you're listening. What are you talking about, dude? I get it, you'll like him a lot. Where's he gonna play?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you got Montgomery, you got Vargas right now on the side of the Enfield, you got rock I look, I think that that makes the most sense. Who he mentioned. I also think could get the ball rolling if you throw a lot on top of it is Billy Carlson because it was the tenth overall.
Speaker 3: Pick live but like, not good enough, you're gonna get out bid. It's just like say good night, it has to beer and or you're not getting Hunter Green. It's just it is what it is. He's too good of a picture.
Speaker 4: What are we talking about?
Speaker 3: When Hunter Green is on? Hunter Green is a true ace in this league?
Speaker 4: True, I'm with you.
Speaker 3: There's like fifteen of them in baseball. Bontamer could be a very solid third baseman, Billy Carlson, nice prospect. No, no, they laugh you off the phone.
Speaker 4: I hear you, I hear look. I think if the White Sox were to make this move, like that's what puts you on the map, especially in the American League, Like now you're now it feels like, Okay, that's the favorite in their division. They're gonna they're gonna win the division, and they're they're gonna have a crack at it this year. You'll have a crack at a couple more times with Hunter Green. So I'm with you on that one. I think Bonimer also might be like the best type of prospect that the Reds could expect back here. And imagine him eventually getting up to a great American small park. I mean that that's a fun one. So I think the White Sox are a really good fit. I think the brains can. The other team that I thought of, I just don't think they had the capital do it would be the Phillies unless they put Miller on the table.
Speaker 3: I think they would for this because again, he comes with the years and a half of control, and I'd have to scroll up. First of all, thank you everybody leaving so many comments. But oh, this from Reef richardson, why are we acting like Green getting paid fifteen million years expensive we were tossing forty five year olds that amount. I couldn't agree with you more. I don't think he's expensive. I think it's a great deal. Again, comes with your years of control for Philly and you run out a postseason rotation of Wheeler, Sanchez, Green and Lozardo that can go beat the Dodgers. I don't care Alec Bohm as a seventy eight w RC plus that level of pitching, it's hard to get better than that.
Speaker 4: A one hundred percent. I agree, they're just to address the comment. I agree this is not a bad contract. I don't want it to make it seem like That's what I'm saying. What I'm acknowledging here is when you're talking about Hunter Green going to the Brewers, like a team like the Brewers thinks about that, and it's not just that he's getting the thirty one million dollars over the next two years. It's the fact that there's injury risk, Like for an offices, think about this stuff. If they're gonna trade a prospect like Bontomer for example, they might weigh that risk reward and say, you know what, I'd rather trade, you know, Billy Carlson for Clay Home straight up or whatever it is. Right Like they would just say, yeah, Hunter Green's really good, but he's been hurt this year. He hasn't pitched that go when he has gotten on the mound and moving forward, there is some injury risk that if he goes down, you know, I'm now just paying this contract. So again, he's an incredible pitcher. I think he absolutely would would change things front of these contenders if they got him. The Phillies would be a lot of fun. But it's just these are the things the front office is way that might prevent the Reds from getting a return that's good enough for them to give up one Hunter Green because they can still win next year, Like they don't have to trade hundred Green. It's fifty to fifty for a reason. The other fifty is that no team puts the price respects on the table of the Red say yeah, we're willing to give up the upside of having Green and Burns in our rotation next season.
Speaker 3: Well, one thing's for sure. We could be in for an absolutely loaded MLB trade deadline, and we're gonna be live here tomorrow on YouTube one thirty pm Eastern. We're gonna do trade deadline predictions. It's kind of our final episode of the week again, live here on YouTube one thirty pm Eastern, and hopefully you can join again. It's gonna be Jack and I are maybe Armine, I'm not really sure, but we're gonna be doing it for sure. Maybe you'll join us as well. And then on August third, we're gonna do a large trade deadline stream, so kind of similar to our MLB Draft stream where we come on for a couple hours we talked through all the moves as the moves come in, you know, all that good stuff. And Sunday. Aren't sure if we're going to do your typical weekend roundup because I think we'll be reviewing a lot of trades. We'll see, but regardless, we got a lot of baseball content here for you on the Just Base Special. Shout out to Podcast P for brilliant producing. Once again, thank you to Ryan Finkelstein, Ryan your Beast. Thank you for all the mock trade articles, and remember to go check out all these different articles on Just baseball dot com. The writing staff led by Ryan is doing such such a great job. Thank you again to bus are only for coming on, and thank you to our all the listeners of the Just Baseball Show. The best way to support liking and subscribing on YouTube and if you're listening on audio, a five star review is the best way to help the show. For Ryan, I'm Peter. See you tomorrow, the same time, same place, and with that, thank you,