Speaker 1: Warning today's episode Canade spoilers for Mall shadow Lord episodes one, five and one O six. He warned, Hello, my name is Jason Accepcion and I'm Joelmenique, and welcome back to X ray Vision of the podcast where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics and pop culture. Coming to you from my Heart podcast where we're bringing you through episode a week.
Speaker 2: Rosie is at CinemaCon.
Speaker 1: Cinema Con, Cinema Conn doing the work.
Speaker 2: So I'm filling in today and I am really excited to talk about the evolution of two Boots. Where is he in his uh boot licking phases?
Speaker 1: I am already talk to him for a reboot on two Boots.
Speaker 2: Listen, we'll talk about droid writes of it, we'll talk about who is this inquisitor. Lots of spoilers in the back end, so you know, we'll give you guys a full warning about that. And yeah, five and six big episodes, so let's get right into it. Episode five Inquisition with Jennifer Corbett is the writer. Saul Rees and Tatiana Drewrek Harvin are the directors. The Empire arrives on jan X docu tells Devin to let the Empire handle them all. He's like, that's no longer concerned surviving is That is a direct quote. Don't worry about all of that Jedi training you've had, Padawan, It's just survived.
Speaker 1: I remain very, very underwhelmed by Daku.
Speaker 2: That's all moron Daku's underwhelming nature. Later, Chief Crist is not happy that two boots sold them out to the Empire, but lots and says he was just following protocol. Lieutenant Blake of the Empire confronts Christ. Blake accuses Christ of trying to hide Mall. He immediately takes over command of Janis and orders the Chief to be interrogated. Blake tells Lawson to stay nearby, don't go too far. Their copper, superior copper, has your number. He's got questions. He's gonna get answers. In the under City, Mal's right hand Brooke we talked about her a little bit last week, and farms Mall of the Empire's arrival, she suggests they switch systems, reasonably convinced that Devin is a lost cause. Since you know, stab stab lightsaber, lightsaber, they'll be more.
Speaker 1: There'll be more jedis in the in the galaxy. They didn't all die. You'll find another one. There'll be more for sensitive people being born. It's it's fine.
Speaker 2: But while they all attempt murder, Mall finds that admirable. He really wants this one. He's picked. Yes, let him have what he wants, okay, Vario. Meanwhile, it's worried about his business. He asks whether he is living as a prisoner or free to go, which he doesn't get a great answer. Meanwhile, the Mandalorians are concerned about their coin. Now that the Empire is running things, Rook is losing control of her troops. It's not good on team Mall. Right now they've got some issues. I mean, he he's a leader who cares.
Speaker 1: This was supposed to be a fairly simple, like straightforward take over the gangs get money to fund our our criminal enterprises situation, and instead Mal has gone on like a side quest, trying to do a rule of two situations, which I okay, I get that that's a thing too, he will do. But now it's turned into an absolute clusterfuck with the Empire, like on the planet in Force. I think I think, I think Mal's gang makes a reasonable request, which is like, let me just like get out of here.
Speaker 2: What are we doing from one manager to another? I know sometimes you get sidetracked with other projects as they come in. That's why you have Rook there. She's your project leader. You could just be like, hey, why don't you take these guys, establish us a new base somewhere, get set up, maybe run a few jobs so these guys can get paid while I focus so low because you're not bringing people along to help you with the padawan. You don't need them. Let them go do their job while you do your job.
Speaker 1: Also, like there's a there's an intense cultural pressure that I don't think Mal is like recognizing, which is like, these are the last Mandalorians, Like don't why are we getting involved in a direct conflict with the empire right now? Like that was not on the that was not on the menu. And these are the folks who, as far as they know, are like carrying the entire culture forward. We can't get them killed cured on janics for what? And Maul's not hearing that.
Speaker 2: I believe it was Bokatan who brought up a problem with Mall not being mandled Laurian and not understanding the culture and being the leader. You know, maybe following the strongest isn't always the best Anyway, Boots cannot detect loss and stress. He doesn't really get it. Lawson weirdly has like a dozen coffee cups on his desk. Maybe this society. I'm sorry, but I couldn't understand why there were bajillion cups.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess they're trying to say, like, this is a guy, like he's so married to his worry. I was worried like about I mean, first of all, coffee. What is the coffee analog in Star Wars and on Gen X in particular, we don't know, Like, so is he addicted to whatever this drink is? I have serious concerns.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is like when kids first discovered red bull back in the day. This is not healthy and you should clean up after yourself. You've definitely picked up the wrong cup and had spoiled coffee and that's no fun. I speak from personal experience. Clean your desk. Two. Boots is struggling. Christ has been transferred permanently. She's not coming back. She's done. Lawson's weapon is taken and he's locked in an interrogation room where he can see fingernail marks carved into the table. Our boy is in trouble, and no more so when a cloaked inquisitor emerges from the shadows again more on him later. That should be the end of Lawson, if you ask me. Docu tells Devin they're going to head out of the city. Devin feels like she's wasting her abilities here you are Doctu says he can hear Mal's voice in her words and warns her not to be swayed. He says Mall is selfish, but Devin says he does have a point about the Empire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, come on, we can't call the Empire bad. We can't like, we can't criticize the Empire.
Speaker 2: What do we does? Doctor does have a slightly enlightened statement where he says the Empire may be our common enemy, but Mal will never be our ally. Well, then you would say the enemy of my enemy is my what my friend? I mean?
Speaker 1: I will just say, like, this is a good encapsulation of coalition of coalition politics. We are not getting married to Mal, That's what I would say. I understand that Mal has different ideas. I'm not getting married to Mal. We're like we if we want to achieve something like fucking up the empire, we could do that and not get involved in all his other stuff. And that goes for politics were large in the world. Like accomplish the one goal that you both have in common and then that's it. You don't have to do more than that. Break it off after that point. But it's like, look like, Daku, it's two of you, Like, what do you think you're going to accomplish if you can't forge aliances beyond the two of you?
Speaker 2: Not through wisely states We've seen many a Jedi work with mal particularly Ahsoka, several times over the years to get a job done. Yes, sometimes that's what you have to do. Listen, Okay. So Riley shows up looking for Papa Lawson. Boots tells Riley, don't worry about this. Kids. Don't worry is the message in this episode.
Speaker 1: Don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: It's like it's just a standard operating procedure. Then he kicks Riley out because protocol doesn't allow civilians back here. Lawson, meanwhile, in interrogation, is doing his best not to succumb to a six foot metal birds glaring red stare better than I would I'd to fold it immediately. He does tell the inquisitor that they walked into an ambush, but the inquisitor is like, how did you survive then if so much of your team is dead? Which reasonable? Yeah, sure, Docu and Devin planned to stay hidden in a nearby villain while is captured. Tyranny is always defeated. We must remain hopeful. Is the dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life. Tiranny is not always defeated. Uh, Hope is not just a feeling, it's an action.
Speaker 1: What are you doing, doctor dou This is like I I'm wondering if if you have we'll talk about this more. But here my question is this, and does this show think they are depicting Jedi ideology as a good thing, as a positive, as something to be strived for and reached for, or does it understand that it's depicting Jedi ideology as like hopelessly naive, weak and out of touch with the current moment. It's an interesting question because I'm actually not sure. I'm not sure, but there's no question that Doco is talking fucking nonsense. Tyranny is always defeated. Sure, but like after how like seventy years, Like, how long are we talking?
Speaker 2: You were literally just like a freedom fighting force for a powerful government. You assumably received taskwork and save the outcome of that. Do you want to take any It's just crazy to watch. That's a great question, Jason. We'll talk about that in our third segment. Uh So, Devin, in Doc, you tried to Jedi mind trick themselves out of a stormtrooper checkpoint. It works until another stormtrooper spots to them, saying like being released without their identification, So then they have to fight their way out. It's in a classic subway move. They hide in the ceiling. It is a cool fight. They hide in the ceiling, but the chases heart in Doc is injury and he is slowing down. Riley calls his mom, lets her know the Empire is on the planet. He asked her to come help, and a third adult says if troopers are there, it is to keep everyone safe. She says, if they ask you to do something, cooperate, trust me, everything will be fine. Adults will lead you astray, is the message. And I think that's important for the kids to know. The adults don't know what they're doing either. Make your own choices Devn in Doc you discovered that they can't leave the city, Doc who says they need to hide and they must rely on their soul contact. Uh oh. The inquisitor investigates the scars the lightsaber left where Document Devon faced off against the mall. He's getting closer, Rook tells Ma, Devin and Doc Whu didn't make it out of the city. We get a clearer look at the Dota Marie brothers we talked about last week. Lawson is released with the Empire's thanks and the return of his gun. Surprising back home after the interrogation, Lawson discovers Riley with DOCU and Devin, and he is not happy about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just getting worse and worse for him, worse and.
Speaker 2: Worse if you are a law a Biden cop. It's been a spiral of a twenty four hours. Let me tell you, all right, let's go to break real quickly. Come back. We'll talk about an episode.
Speaker 1: Sick, episode six nine of The Hunted, written by Chris R. Yost The Legend, directed by Stuart Lee. Maul is doing his morning exercises as morning affirmations. The moves look they look like mal moves. They look like things we've seen before. Lawson is unhappy to see Jedi docu. Lawson accuses Devin of being a thief, which is technically true. Just all it's a fruit, technically true.
Speaker 2: It's starting, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Okay, And Daku, meanwhile, is just like, how do we we need to get off this planet? I need to get Devin out of here. There's a lot of danger all around. We need to how can we do that? And Lawson is like, I can't you know, my son, Riley, there's a lot of heat right now, the empires here. I don't want my son to get in trouble.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, the first place I've had empathy for los Yeah, and it's like, this is a difficult choice. I want to be like, make the right choice, but your child is on the line. You gotta think about your moves.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Riley and Evan are in his room just kind of awkward. Yeah, and I think appropriately awkward.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, we're yeah, there's a girl who's kind of cute is in your room. Like, oh my god, Like what is even happening right now?
Speaker 1: That's a lot we and we weren't we learn more about him and then that kind of sports ball game that he plays called Bodoken and that his mom works on Coruscant for the Empire in some former fashion. Who do we think she is? The way that we're building it up, So she's in.
Speaker 2: The bluish gray fit. That could mean she's, like, I think she's middle management somewhere, so you know, important enough that like I can't call you in the middle of work, like we have base to do, but not so important that she has any sway over what they're doing on this planet, or she can't talk to anybody or upgrade that she's like, just behave and you're gonna be fine.
Speaker 1: You think she's Dedra.
Speaker 2: Do I think she's If Dadra has a secret, I would love it, but no.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, Lowson promises that listen, I didn't tell the inquisitor anything, which it is true, but also why I would not believe this regular guy. I'd be like, you don't think you did, but you did.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The inquisitor shows up, Yeah, and he came. Absolutely. The inquisitor shows up. DOCU sends Devin to protect Lawson and Riley, but he's injured and he's you know, struggling with a powerful force wielder Uh and the Lawson's home because of the fight that is happening, begins to to burn down. Stormtroopers chase Devin and Lowson across the roof. Doctor joins them. He's a good question that you ask here, Joelle in this recap, is will anyone die in this series? Besides?
Speaker 2: That was for sure the end of Docu. I was like, oh, fight off Green. We're on the roof. It's been a long time, we're up here, and then suddenly he appears, and I'm like.
Speaker 1: Besides, nameless like cops and other imperials, like, will anybody of note die? And I will say that, like, it would be very interesting depending on how it happened, if if he died, if Docu died, Devin takes command of the ship the Quizzer, who's also not dead, fight Stocko on the roof, with Devon providing air cover. Docu boards the ship in you know, absolutely like action movie. Oh yeah, action movie type fashion, and they are able to escape, but soon, of course, there's Imperial cruisers on them. Devon's never flown one of these, but she's doing pretty well. But she steals like a new person at it and loss and always a cop is like just like squealing in the vaccine, Two Boots. He loves the way the Empire's working.
Speaker 2: Loves the lick. He's like, can I have more?
Speaker 1: He is by the book, and in fact, like he wants other books that are not even applicable to gen X. He's like, well, I love the Imperial Book, Like that's great. The impart is like ten months old, and two Boots is like, I love it. I got to get in on this anyway, Well I'll say this and I get it. Two Boots, I think is responding to you know, like imperial federal jurisdiction, like they can chase criminals from planet to planet, and like when a big crime boss is doing crimes over here in the outer room, we have no idea in gen X, like who he is, what that is, what's going on? Like we don't know who that person is. And it's like so much more efficient when you have all this information and you can chase people across the galaxy whatever. You're the worst anyway, Lawson's wanted poster at that moment goes up tennant. Blake tells two Boots that his shoes have not yet been issued to him, and they should therefore be removed so he can't. They're not standard uniform. Will this shake two Boots's confidence and belief in the efficiency of the Empire and show him that like, yes there are they are a much bigger bureaucracy, but like also a very tangled bureaucracy as well. It's an open it's.
Speaker 2: A difficult and shameless truth. When it hits home, people react, so you can be seeing it. His best friend could be like, hey, it's bad. We don't trust the Empire. Maybe and it's not until someone's like my boots, Oh no, the Empire bad. I think we'll see a turn, but I don't love it.
Speaker 1: Daku continues to harp on, we need to get off the planet. I gotta sell I gotta save Devin, Like there's Jedi hunters here now, plus mall in the Empire in general, Like we got to get out of here. Lawson is like, well, I may know someone my like my side piece slash situationship slightly criminal woman who hangs out like a canteena casino Rena, and Rena is like, it's crazy right now on the planet empires everywhere, heat is everywhere, like it's very dangerous to move right now, we find out that Rena is a former bounty hunter and that they have this kind of they have a relationship that stretches back years that involved Lawson, perhaps before he was a cop, being involved in some form of fashion with bounty hunting. Unclear how that worked.
Speaker 2: If this show were more adult, like I wish it wasn't, Maybe we can talk about that more in our last section as well. This would be a fascinating, amazing character that I think the fandom would immediately become obsessed with. But because she's sort of limited by the all ages aspect of the show, it's just we can know and understand and headcan in these things, but it's like we don't get to see the difficulties and complexities of that relationship play out, and I think it's a loss for us. I'm really intrigued by Rina soul like she runs a casino, former bounty hunter, like really intriguing character. I like this info dump on her.
Speaker 1: I wonder if this means loss and was once a bounty hunter?
Speaker 2: Right right? What's his back? Like I'm going straight, I'm become a cop, which is a thing we've seen in several flony things I'm thinking of.
Speaker 1: And Jarn is kind of this. He's like, went from bounty hunter to Dad.
Speaker 2: And Bain what you're talking about earlier? Yeah, like we do see this sort of I wanted to I was a bad guy, but I wanted to be good and then either I had to go back to being bad or I turned into a cop. So this is an interest seeing storyline.
Speaker 1: See, yeah, i'd be I'd be fascinating to know, like or was he a cop helping her from the law side? It's anyway, and then saved but saved each other multiple times. Sounds like they did missions together, so this is all and all are very interesting. Rook accuses Mal of trying to save Devin from the from the Jedi Hunters, which he obviously is, and Mal says, like, yeah, I am, because you don't get it right. All of this hunting her, me hunting her, she fighting me, the inquisitors looking for her. That is making her an even better mentor potential mentor for me. He says. The strongest medal is forged by the Crucible, which all medal is forged in the Crucible for one thing, Like that's how you that's how you tell you, that's how you make it. But that's fine. You can put that aside for now.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I guess if you were saying, like you find like raw met like iron in a stone, just like that way, but like anyway whatever. He's right though in I get what he's saying, but it's also such a self serving statement because it's like all of this trouble that is being caused by the hunt for Devin, and that is causing us anxiety and stress because we might all get captured and or killed. It's actually making it better for when we do you find her anyway, you know, He's basically like the longer she survives, essentially, he says, the more the stronger she will get and the better an ally for me she will become. And I noticed that he always that he doesn't say we, And that's the problem with Maul. With this conversation. He says, quote, she need only find her resilience and she will find me her ally, What is this? What about we?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Like that's and that I think mal is the problem. We got to figure out how to communicate a little better. Let your the Mandalorians are, they're investing a lot in you and yeah, and it's never a we situation.
Speaker 2: Rook. I want to hold your hand and say, this man is not Polly Okay, he's looking for the one and it's it's not you, and it's not the Mandalorian people. He wants a force wheeler. Girl, you gotta get out of there. Cut Ties, lead your own crew.
Speaker 1: Let's yeah, lead your own Mandalorian group. Unless you can lift a rock with your mind, it's not not gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Cause he's not interested.
Speaker 1: The troopers trace Lawson and the escapees to the casino. They grab Marina, but Rena's resourceful and a fighter and all that it gets turns into a firefight immediately. Uh and the kids are kind of shuttled off to safety while DOCU and Lawson fight it out with the stormtroopers. There's a lot of stormtroopers. Good shootout, big, big shootout, and the inquisitors are here as well. Docu promises loss and that Devin will protect Riley, which is like, not, I can't imagine that's like a huge stress reliever for Lawson. But whatever, Lawson says, doc who's you know it basically says like that doesn't make me feel better. I don't know who this person is. That's like it's also like saying, the one person who the entire empire is trying to kill and hunt is with your son. Don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this makes a giant targetments back. She's a child. The rational decision making, years of training, it's not really adding up to like exquisite amounts of safety. It's come on, do.
Speaker 1: We get a great great fight between Devon and the Inquisitor on this like moving it's kind of moving like open open roof kind of train situation, which is very very cool. Daddy Mal shows up and he's like, get away from her, you bitch.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The Inquisitor unveils the spinning blades that is the classic inquisitor move. Mall pulls out the two sided blade. It's it's a great, great, great fight, and they eventually managed to like separate the train between so that they are one the side that keeps going and the Inquisitors on the other side. Devin then moves to take out Mall, but he's like, yeah, go ahead, like you're not going to do that because I am not your enemy. And then he's like, I don't want to fight you, and then he says now that you've seen the face of your true enemy, basically saying like quick, yeah, basically saying like, hey, it's the Empire. The Inquisitors. Those are bad guys, like I'm just the guy that like did kidnap you for a period of time, but also like wants to be your father. And then the inquisitor reports back to his master he's in league with two Jedi. How should I proceed BOM, Yes, take a quick break and we'll be back to talk about this. M hm, and we're back. Let's talk briefly about this as an inquisitor. This is Eleventh Brother, who yes, that we have seen before. He first appeared in Star Wars Tales of the Jedi uh season one, episode six, resolve Resolve. Uh, he's got that you know, that cool black helmet with like the demon bird hype mask and very very cool looking and all of which hides the fact that these they're the Inquisitors, while very cool, were an unsuccessful attempt at half at like somewhat weaker force sensitive lightsaber users that could be corrupted and used by the Emperor. But in the end he needed Big Daddy Darth. Like the one thing that I always think about with the Inquisitors is like this was like version one point zero and ultimately like you need you'd need the Darth, Like these guys aren't getting it done. Darth will whoop the Inquisitor's asses in fact, like you don't need but they're they're wrecking house pretty much here, although they do fail again multiple times, both to figure out what loss and is up to catch the Jedi, catch maw All or anything.
Speaker 2: They their mission is you posted before we started the call of like what is the goal of what is the Empire being here? Really? Because we know they show up when they're like, oh, hey there are force users here, they think they're kind of coming for Mall. I guess that's to do two boots. Reported then they see, well there's a fight, so there's multiple force wielders here. But we don't ever really see, you know, the chain of command come down and be like hey, like specifically get these guys. We know that they're absolutely willing to hunt down a child, maybe to make her another Inquisitor. Wouldn't that be a fun storyline. I think the Inquisitors are really interesting characters and I would love someone to please do some type of miniseries, probably comic books that we're being real, but like, imagine what happens to make a former Jedi become an inquisitor and like hunt down the last of your people? Like the mental mind fuck of that. There, you assume they're getting like young padawans perhaps uh you know not quote I forget all that you could be a Padawan and then something else and then it's a night in the master.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, it's a brother sister grand inquisitor. There's like the brother level, which is like the more rank and file, and then the grand inquisitors like the leader gotcha, got you?
Speaker 2: So yeah, So I wonder if they're pulling these folks in as Padawans or you know, are they like Jedi knights with additional training? And then two like we don't know who the Crow aka the Eleventh Brother is yet, but we do. And you feel free to skip ahead if you don't want to hear how that episode of Tails of the Jedi goes. I would highly recommend watching it. It's a pretty great episode. But Ahsoka kills the Eleventh Brother in a fight that reminds me a lot of Mal and Obi Wan's fight. It's very Samurai esque in that it's a single blade switch. And it's interesting too because like when she goes to destroy, like she's lured out of hiding and forced to become basically a Jedi again because she's like, I cannot stand by and watch people's houses burned down. I can't stand by and watch people get hurt, even though I've been betrayed in this moment. I just think it's funny that every time the Inquisitors pop up, it's like, well, I guess that'd be more a Jedi than I ever was before.
Speaker 1: Like, I mean, it's interesting. Yeah, the program is interesting. I mean, as a Boo noted in the in the chat, they were kind of like nerved, like the whole idea was not so they couldn't really pose a threat to either Vader or Emperor Palpatine. And there were you know what, like thirteen fourteen of them, eleven plus some others. There was like a pair of them, and then there was the one named Lynn that said, if you look at what, they all die violently, pretty much killed by the Jedi that they were hunting, who were much more skilled than they are, because they were again like kind of nerved on purpose and finished off internally by Vader, who was just proved kind of his worth. Now, I think that there's a like higher conspiratorial angle to this, where it's like, well, isn't that kind of what Palpatine wanted was like wanted one to test Vader's strength and loyalty and by setting up this internal system of competition where all of his acolytes were trying to kill each other and only the strong survive. And that's probably the case. But as a in terms of like a their effectiveness with catching Jedi, its just it's show me where they were effective one.
Speaker 2: Time seeing it. Yeah, I think with the Equitters who came after Jaden and his master, I think so, yeah, because they were hiding out for a while in rebels and then we see later that he yeah, I think maybe the one time unfortunately, But yeah, I like the look of the Inquisitors. I'm a big fan of the we're at school and it's terrible genre of arts whatever we call that. So I wouldn't mind seeing like inside the Inquisitors, you know, especially these early years where they're newly minted and you know, we're there's apparently tons of Jedi who escaped Order sixty six and exploring like who made it and who didn't. I think there's a lot of area for refinement around that too. You know, I think that's a big plot hole for a lot of Star Wars fans, like how did so many of these folks escape Order sixty six? Let's explore that in an inquisitor or investigation. That sounds like fun to me.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about let's talk about docu. I you kind of like touched on it. But I think this show is doing some really interesting things thematically that if it wasn't a more or even like a PG thirteen execution m m mm hmm, which I think I guess you could argue on a violence from a violence angle, it's kind of PG thirteen.
Speaker 2: I could actually argue that it's not because you know a lot of kids animation, like you can't show red blood in America. That's a hard and fast rule. And I've been thinking as we look at the violence, like most of it is off screen and really what you're seeing is, you know, a fencing fight with cool lights, which is great. But I think on the violence, as I mean, we do have the pupew's and stuff, and there's some explosions, but all of that to me happens so far away and from a distance, and not to any of the characters that were directly following that, the violence feels artificial and not emotionally impactful.
Speaker 1: All of which is to say, there are these really interesting themes kind of bubbling under the surface. It's like, you know, whether it's loss in and his whatever, his relationship with Rina is, like would love to know more of that, lawson and his ex wife like that is a very complex and meaty kind of would love to know, like how that fell apart, like what and the fact that she left without her son, Like this is all really interesting? Is he hiding from her with the sun?
Speaker 2: Like all of that is fascinating, and she protecting them by going to the empire.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of complexity here, like under the surface. And then there's the the depiction of like the classic struggle between the dark and the light here. And I genuinely I think that there is at least a chance that this show is doing something really interesting, which is being like this is why the jedis fail, Like there they're ok, Like I think there's at least a chance that they're kind of doing it on purpose. As a metaphor for a rule following kind of norm following mindset in the face of an enemy that has no shame, that has no adherence to laws other than its own power, that doesn't care, and there is at least a chance again that in creating that contrast, which I think they are doing, whether they're doing on purpose, is the question that in showing that contrast, they're saying they're implicitly criticizing the Jedi, because like at every turn, you're like, doca, what are we doing? Don't we like can't we fight fire with fire a little bit? Like you're on the run for your life? Now, I get that you don't want to see and apple, and you shouldn't. I'm not saying you should, But do we have to then let your potawan I don't even think she's a padawan. Should we let your you know, younger Jedi mentee like get arrested? She would definitely just like put her in jail. Shouldn't we like try and kill mall? Like I don't know what is going on here?
Speaker 2: Can't even stand up for her to be like, hey, like it's how much is this apple? Costs? Five cents? Like we yeah, go to jail is crazy. I think it's even crazier to say tyranny is always defeated. Is such an affect based on one to tell a person look around, Brian defeated like it's happening, and and the level of just like, well, what can we do? I'm just even this is.
Speaker 1: Why kids becoming prisoners dot go first of all, First of.
Speaker 2: All, and it's it's too It's I just think like even if we look at like like non violent individuals still find ways to like protect and stand up for and stand against violence without enacting it themselves. So I really hope that's where they're going, because I think the whole like uninformed, ignorant, peaceful monk who just wants piece at all, like time, it's it's challenging to watch. And then two, I think, you know, in moments when we see this, you know our are you know our obi wan Kenobi's, our anakins, our qui gons are rule benders, let's say. But I think even in those religious yeah, yeah exactly. But I think when they were firm on the rules and their paddle ons are questioning, that was oftentimes some of the best, like Clone Wars writing it's sometimes like the most interesting spaces for those characters, because which rules are you choosing to follow on? Which ones are you choosing to break in?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 2: Uh? I wish we have a little bit more of that, like an evolved sense of that friction between this padawan and mass because I think.
Speaker 1: I agree with you. I think that there's something interesting under the surface if they want to flesh it out. There's also the fact that like Doaku's like he there's a passivity that is so interesting for a person who's like on the run for his life and who's responsible for the life of another person. They're putting there all favor. Yeah, they're putting like they're putting loss and in his kid in danger to say nothing of like whoever you know whatever civilians are on the trains or around whenever any of these fights like blow up, and all he can talk about is like, help me get off the planet, help us get off the planet. Okay? And what are you what are you offering? Like what in this? Why should I do that? How does because it's the right thing to do, Explain to me why that's the case, and how are exactly are you going to help in this situation? You don't have the contacts. You don't, you won't fight barely will fight, and you won't use the force in any kind of offensive way to help us do the stuff we need to do. Instead, you're just like asking this regular guy for help. And it just makes if the depiction is conscious to make the Jedis look this week and shattered in this moment, which they are, but like on a personal level, he's a tremendously powerful individual. Then I think that's really interesting.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: I really do think it's interesting though the way they're showing it.
Speaker 2: I think your riot brain is cooking and preparing for a lot of plotlines that are not going to come to fruition unfortunately. But I like, I like, And I think this is the strength of the Star Wars fandom is our ability to be like under the surface. Yeah, like we can make a story in twenty years that's really going to bring all of this to the forefront in a way that you won't even believe, so you know, uh, yeah, it's it's all there. I do. I'm still rooting for this show. I really want to pull. I was higher on it last week than I am this week. You were just talking about selfishness. Let's talk about Daddy Mal in his his selfishness, because I this is the mall that I enjoy the most. I think, like the last episode four through here, I'd be like, this is the mall I wish we could have spent the most time with in this series, because Mal is inherently selfish. But a character who has to be selfish is interesting to me in a way that like a character who chooses to be selfish isn't. Mal has never had anyone look out, there's no one has his back. Ever. You have to be selfish or you will die like it is. That is his only choice, and he's too stubborn to die. And but he longs. He's a longer. He's like, what I want is companionship, someone who understand and me, somebody else who has this immense power and has to choose how to wield it in a world that is inherently unfair and terrifying because literally anyone at any moment might betray you. And so here we have him finally interacting with Devin, who, as we've been talking about, currently has a leader in her life who's making horrible choices. Yes, go to jail, don't worry about eating. I'm sorry if you seal because you are starving and you have no money. I don't care if you feel like to me, your right to survive is higher than anyone's right to the five cent you're gonna pay for that apple. That's crazy. And I I think for Mal to just lay it all out there and be like, listen, kid, if it would be worth it for you to kill me, for me to show you that I am not your enemy, it would be worth it for me to like risk losing all of the little bit I have built up. You know, I do think that the Mandalorians mean, like being in command of these people mean something. Tomal. I don't think it's completely pointless to him, but she is more important. He like the and selfishly, the forging of that bond with someone that he might be able to trust, that you know. And and two, I'll just say Maul only has the rule of two as his guiding star. Like that's what he's been told his whole life. It's why his mother gave him up, it's what he was raised, and it's what he's trying to recreate with his brother. Like he needs it and I want him to have it. Maybe not with Devin, I wouldn't mind him. FID like, find somebody who's maybe like I don't know, older and can actually have your back. Not a child who needs you to like guide them through the rest of their adolescence, but the fact that he's like, I've been treated so poorly my whole life, and I can create a space and a moment for you, not only to defend you, but for you to build trust in me. Yeah, like this version of Mallyah and.
Speaker 1: There is deductiveness to the pitch and at the same time, like Maul is he's a narcissist. He's he's extremely selfish but very seductive. And what I mean by that is, listen, if Maul wants found family, then put together the found family and go chill on a fucking moon somewhere. Instead, it's like, I want this found family now. I want to do the most dangerous shit possible with them and get them killed and relive my trauma all over again. I got them all killed and now it's my fault. Now I got to find a new found family and get to do again. And it's like, which is very feels very huge, Like that's a very human kind of trauma cycle where you recognize what you need and you broadly recognize the cycle, but you're unable to like break out of it. And that's what he's doing, Like he wants to forge this relationship with Devon, and you can see the I mean, if I'm Devon, I'm I'm thinking about it. And you know you mentioned how sure we as Star Wars fans have this ability to basically be like the writer's room for Star Wars on long term scales, and a boot put in the put in the chat that he would love a Devon becomes inquisitor arc. Hell yeah. But there's even the way he's giving Devin something that you could tell that she values on some level and would even desire, like more agency in her life, more active, an ability to be more active and not just like running from every problem. But it's always on Mal's terms. The terms are come with me, I will be your ally, okay, and then what and then we will fight the empire together and you will probably get.
Speaker 2: Killed because the rule of two sis there has to be one master in one apprentice, right, And that's where we're at, Like I'm the master, you the apprentice. And by the way.
Speaker 1: I've made this very chasmic, charismatic deal with everybody else in my gang. They all think that they are like my number one and together we are allies to take on the people who betrayed us. But really it's you and ps. At the end of this you will all be dead and I will be looking for the new versions of you. That is just like such a very human type of trauma loop to be caught in where it's like you're you're pitching it as this it's all like we're a family, it's us together, when really it's like your mission only you are the main character in your mind, in their lives. But you're pitching in a way where it's going to be like, oh yeah, no, it's going to be all of us. It's not going to be all of you. If you want that found family, like get it, go get a hideout on some random space rock and just go do stuff, hang.
Speaker 2: Outs out home. His enemy is actually galactically powerful, yeah, and evil, so like he has some point, like we actually have to end this guy, like it is your revenge and it is selfish. You You do not want the ultruistic good for the universe. You want to stop the guy who has hurt you the most, understandably, but I also think too, just again from Devin's point, like that guy my enemy too actually and mall maybe not so much in this series, but historically pretty good tactician. It's just that little revenge bit catches him up every time. Can't let it go.
Speaker 1: And what's doaku offering? Like running from place to place and like sleeping on the street.
Speaker 2: And he literally said, the only thing we can do is beg, Docu, Like you don't get the hell up out of here, like there's nothing.
Speaker 1: We can't get any kind of job out here, Like we have to only beg. This is crazy. This is just insane to me. If that's the.
Speaker 2: Point, we could be juggling entertainers, like we got mad skills. I'll hop up on an acrobatic thing. Do they have like a basketball thing? I've got force jumps? Ok? Yeah, like be a magician or great magician? You really like all we could do is big? Like this is sad, Docu, what happened to you? Like I have to I need a doc who backstory that makes this makes sense. I need a man so beaten and destroyed that he's like, well, what could we do, and you're like, wow, this is so sad. You should not be in charge of a child. You need, like everybody in Star Wars, some prescription pills. I after. Okay, So I wanted to ask you. We're getting close to the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think there's ten episodes total. Mm hmmm, so we've got four more to go, a little bit past the halfway point. How are you feeling about the mall of it all as far as like the show having Like I don't want to ask a show to justify its existence, that's a little bit crazy. But do you feel like you're getting insight into this character we've spent a long time with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so, I like again on a on a on a shallower level than I was hoping for, But it's all there, like his selfishness, his single mindedness, his desire for revenge, but also his ability to to frame that revenge as like a team goal for everybody else. Don't you want to take down the empire? Don't we all want to do that? Wouldn't it be for the best? They must be stopped? And it's really just like this guy fucked me over and I need to kill him, you know, like that's what it's about. And I think from that perspective, I find it really and I think again as a as a picture of a person who is traumatized and who is unable to like see their own role in their own retraumatization. Like you're you're in a cycle that is making this happen again. There's no excusing what happened to you, although you could argue like the way that he lost his family was was a version of this, like it was his mission. Yeah, yeah, left, But still like there's no there's no there's no softening that very very painful blow. But it reminds me of a kind of loop that you can get into. And this is what this is the things that I think are really interesting about all where it's like the the pain is almost more comfortable, like you could you could let go of everything and and check out and go hang out with Rook and the rest, just like ambushing cargo ships or whatever very quietly in some quiet corner of the galaxy. But like who would you be?
Speaker 2: Then? What do you?
Speaker 1: Who would you?
Speaker 2: Who would be?
Speaker 1: Who would you be as a person at that point and when your whole identity is wrapped up in pain? And anger and revenge. It's the almost the scariest thing is to like not do that. And I think that part of it is a really fun and interesting character study of Mall. I think I wish that it was a little deeper, but I do think that we are. It's not that we're seeing a new side of the Mall in particular, so I guess that part of it is a little bit of a letdown, But what we're seeing is a kind of underlining and amplification of who we know Mall to be. What about you?
Speaker 2: I agree with everything he said, and if the show pulls that out by episode ten where he's seeing something and making a choice about this instead of just gut check, constantly spiraling back into the cycle, and that's very intriguing, and I would be like, wow, once again, never doub Dave Filoni. You'll get some some humdingers of episodes, but then you're geting some great ones down the line, and that kind of tends to be the flow of these animated series. But no, I think, and again maybe this is my fault, like I don't want to judge a show on my preconceived notions, but I again, this is a character I love Dave has done some and team have done really strong writing over the years, and I guess I was sort of hoping for like a better Call Saul version of Mall where you're like, oh, this is like an evolution of this person that helps us fully understand like who he is and what he's been through and why he ends up going in the direction he goes in. But I think when I think about what I wanted as a kid, the show is delivering on a lot of elements, and for that, I'm glad. I think kids need dark shows and dark protagonists. I was talking to some friends the other day about how I felt really connected to e Or as a kid because I was chronically depressed, but I didn't know it and was really a comfort to me as a kid because I was like, why will no one just leave that man in his house for three out? He just wants to be alone. And so I think characters like Mal who have suffered a lot of abuse, who are trying to find their way can be even if they're imperfect in how they're searching for solutions, uh, really inspirational and good connective tissues. So yeah, I'm I and I still think there's too many people.
Speaker 1: There's characters in this that I don't like. I don't know why we need Riley unless we're gonna do more with Lawson's personal life, like and yeah, should we talk about it.
Speaker 2: I think we could a scale back. Yeah, let's finish with two boots. Okay. I have complicated feelings about two boots because I think I'm okay. Here's what really intrigues me. All the droids we've been introduced to have been manipulated to be independent thinkers, right. C three PO was Anakin's design, and he was like basically jail breaking his three PO unit. And that's why we get the different dialectically speaks from the others, and the fact that he's, you know, a little more inquisitive, even though he's still staunchly a rule follower, where he's like his own person R two D two similar like way his own person Shopper again, jail broke, I think by hera and wild, independent little thing. It's interesting, particularly from an institution that's run by the Empire. Ostensibly they report to the Empire to have a droid who is not jail broken at all. He's sort of been trained, he's developed this like desire for a clothes which you don't see on Android frequently, and be a connection to it, like yes, that's his name sort of swells to boots like all androids, but like either he was like that's my name and I should have the boots or yeah, the boots and they were like, look at this, that's really interesting and to watch him wake up could be really interesting. But man, is it hard to watch somebody like listen to a dearly beloved friend, coworker, partner constantly tell them like, hey, this is gonna put us all in danger. It's bad, and he's like it anyway, Look what are you doing, two Boots?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 2: What are your thoughts? How are you feeling about two Boos at this day?
Speaker 1: I like Two Boots as a character. I think what he's done is despicable, But I do think to your point, we've seen there's been a lot of independent thinking droids whose moral alignment mapped to heroic and it would just make sense that if there are these independently thinking droids throughout the galaxy, and we've seen them before, that some of them would be more pro empire or pro following the rules or pro the laws in a given region and would be against helping good people who are breaking the law for reasons of being rule followers. And so I think that while I absolutely decry everything two Boots is doing, and I think it's terrible, and I think he should at least give his fucking partner a heads up before he just drops a dime on the empire, and I find myself fascinated by him. I do, like we said in the recap, I do hope that there is a moment, you know, like we got an and or for various characters where two Boots seize the true face of the Empire and goes, oh shit, fuck, you know I made I made a bad choice. I made. I made a rational choice, but I made a bad one. That said, I also feel like, I mean, Lawson is like goes even in this episode, goes to bat for two Boots, like even then kind of covers for him, and and two Boots is like ready to throw his partner like into the grinder, like does not.
Speaker 2: Fucking cares has earned this loyalty.
Speaker 1: It's crazy.
Speaker 2: It is shocking to me. Now, I'm not an advocate for a murder, but we've talked about whether we would reboot two Boots at the top of this episode, and you listen, I is that if we believe, as I believe, the droids are actually autonomous beings who've been conscripted into slavery. Uh, then yeah, it.
Speaker 1: Would be murdering.
Speaker 2: I I think. So it's a very ghost in the shell moment. But I think if you destroy the spirit but keep the body alive, that is still a type of death. Okay, I'm not I'm not.
Speaker 1: I'm willing to I'm I think it's a I think it's a reasonable philosophical reading. I'd be willing to hear other other viewpoints. I also feel like if I'm in a room with my droid partner, like at work, and my droid partner at work is like I'm going to call the empire, and I think it's the right thing to do, and the only way to stop them was to like hold the power button down for five seconds. I'd probably do it. I'd probably consider it, and I wouldn't. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I can't give tools names.
Speaker 1: Okay, I would feel super bad about it, and I would trust that, like we could rebuild the his personality to like eighty percent of what it was, But without the call the Empire part.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't know. Some would kick the Pixar lamp and I shoud it here, so anything anthropomorphized that womman like protect it. But yeah, no, I think you're right that ultimately, how could you blame someone who's like, don't call the cops, Like that's terrible off do that? What if you just turned him off and said aside, if if someone turns him back on, he's put him in rest Like pause, yeah, yeah, okay, we're fighting it. We're fighting it. Let us tell what you guys think. Should we be rebooting two Boots or should this autonomous being be allowed to make his own decisions and report us to the Empire.
Speaker 1: Which is technically what the law says to do. It's to be fair, and we doc would say, well, we have to let him call.
Speaker 2: You don't have a choice.
Speaker 1: We don't have a choice. We have to let him do it. Put that apple back. On the next episode of X ray Vision, we're diving into Daredul.
Speaker 3: Two O six and depending Hues Day Black after that's This episode of Bye x ray Vision is hosted by Jason steps Young and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 1: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman. Our supervising producer is Abusafar. Our producers are Common, Laurent, Dean Jonathan and Fay Wack. Our theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman. Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman, and Heidi. Our discord moderate, though