Speaker 1: Good Morning Football is the production of the NFL in partnership with iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Good Morning Football.
Speaker 3: That's right, this is Good Morning Football. We have brought to you by Old Trapper Beech Jurkey live in LA and New York. As always, It's Thursday, January twenty third. Championship games this weekend. Here's off Our Bush Vamilla. There's Pretty Schrager, There's Kyle Brant. I'm Jamie Rdall. Of course, joy and elation setting in to find out which two teams will be going to New Orleans in a couple of weeks. Also some anxiety and sweating the fact that there is no football to be played in March, in April and May and June.
Speaker 2: Peter, I just.
Speaker 3: Want to check do Schrager's NFL Trivia continue on in the postseason, because we have it today and I need just like a light at the end of the tunnel.
Speaker 2: No, we keep going.
Speaker 4: We're fifty two weeks a year, Jay, so don't worry.
Speaker 5: There will be.
Speaker 4: Trivia every single week. We will be doing Jaguars backup tight Ends in June for trivia on this show on Thursday, So just be ready.
Speaker 6: I'm ready for Blake Bortle Jaguars or something like that.
Speaker 3: Yes, all right, but until then we will address what's happening this weekend.
Speaker 2: Of course.
Speaker 3: Plus we have a really cool announcement to be made on the show in the second hour, so stay tuned here in GMFP. First, though, a big rematch on Sunday is Josh Allen and the Buffalo Bills head into Arrowhead to take on Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs for, as you know, a chance to play in the Super Bowl. Both quarterbacks talked about this upcoming matchup this time around.
Speaker 7: I mean, I think it's it's like a division game. I feel like we've played them just as much as we've played the guys in our division, and you know with that comes familiarity, new wrinkles here and there throughout the game. But you know, they know who we are, we know who they are, and it literally just comes down to who executes well on Sunday.
Speaker 8: It's just two really good football teams going up against each other. They have great players every level and both sides of the ball, and they're will coached and so when you play great football teams like that, it kind of usually ends with kind of that split type of deal there. And so we've been able to beat them in the playoffs and they've gone us in the regular season. But if you look at the games, every game is closed, so it just comes down to a play here there that kind of usually, uh, that makes an impact on the outcome.
Speaker 3: Did anyone else's brain go to, man, what if the Bills and the Chiefs were in the same division. That would be kind of awesome. But this is what we have to deal with. But one regular season matchup and then one that feels inevitable in the postseason. Peter, what is the one thing that you are watching ahead of this AFC title game?
Speaker 2: It might sound obvious.
Speaker 4: I'm looking at the quarterbacks, and I'm looking at my Homes, and I'm looking at Alan and of course they're rich history to get there. And you know, we've always done the basketball analogy here on Good Morning Football, and we said, well, now at this point, Mahomes, you know, he's the Michael Jordan, and then you had Barkley and Malone and Ewing and of course Gary Payton and Sean Kemp in that era, and they just couldn't get past them. I had Mike Tarico, the legendary voice of NBC Sports on my podcast this week, and he made a really good analogy that wasn't the basketball analogy, and I thought this was even better.
Speaker 2: He said, with.
Speaker 4: Lamar, with Burrow, with Allen, and of course you have Mahomes up here. You have this group, and it's not the basketball analogy. Patrick Mahomes is Tiger Woods. Patrick Mahomes is Tiger Woods. And if you've got Mahomes in his Sunday Red as Tiger in that era, these other guys are Mickelson, you know, Phil always, Lefty was always in the mix, Ernie Els always right.
Speaker 2: There, and it's VJ. Singh. Sure, and in any other era those guys would have been the faces of the sport.
Speaker 4: But for two hundred and eighty one straight days, Tiger Woods was the guy. That's how I feel with Patrick Mahomes, not.
Speaker 2: Only in the AFC but in the NFL right now.
Speaker 4: In any other era, this could be Josh Allen's time, and we look back and say, well, it was Montana, it was Brady, and it was Josh Allen, or it could have been Lamar's three MVPs. He's that guy from this era. This is Mahomes' era. Who's gonna knock off Tiger. Who's gonna knock off Tiger when he's in his Sunday Red, Who's gonna knock off Tiger in his building, in his backyard, when he's at his most comfortable. That's how I look at this, and I think Tarika was great with it.
Speaker 2: For years, it was Brady, it was Brady.
Speaker 4: It was Brady, and then one day on a Sunday in six Peyton Manning woke up and it was no longer going to be Brady. He finally slayed the dragon. He did it at home home in the Dome in an AFC championship game, and they came.
Speaker 2: Back from a big deficit and he finally got pats.
Speaker 4: Guys, that's Dan Klecko right there. That's who we're showing. And of course that's our guy, big Dominic Rhodes and the fumble recovery there. It was an epic win. Marlon Jackson puts it away. But Brady eventually went down and at that game he had to shake Peyton's hand, and it wasn't a passing of the torch per se, because Brady would get another and another and another.
Speaker 2: But Manning did it. It was on his resume.
Speaker 4: He got past Brady, and one of these guys at some point one of these years is gonna have to get by Tiger Woods, and that's Patrick Mahomes. I look at the quarterbacks, I look at Josh, I look at Patrick, and if.
Speaker 2: It wasn't gonna be Burrow this year, and it wasn't gonna be Lamar Josh Allen, go be that dude, Go slay the dragon. Kyle.
Speaker 4: I know you have plenty more to say about that topic.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm already thinking, like, is Jaden Daniels, Jordan Spieth or rored like next comic And honestly, it's a really cool comparison. But Mahomes has a huge advantage over Tiger in the sense that he has control of his personal life. And Tiger beat himself and that's the reason he didn't catch Jack is that Mahomes is a machine personal wise, and he is such a mast in the storm, whereas Tiger completely came off the rails. I don't see that from Patrick Mahomes. And that's how why Tiger's career change. Mahomes just churning this out. I'm fascinated by the quarterback on the other side of the ball.
Speaker 5: In this game.
Speaker 9: This is the biggest game of Josh Allen's life. The stakes are much higher than they were in his last title game.
Speaker 5: Win or lose This game for.
Speaker 9: Josh Allen will be discussed and dissected until the day he dies. If he loses this game, Mahomes will go to seventeen and three in the playoffs and Josh Allen will go to seven and six. He will go oh and two in title games. Josh Allen, he will go oh to four against the Chiefs in the playoffs. And if you do want to make the basketball analogy about Jordan Nett get past the Pistons, Jordan lost the Pistons three years, not four. By the fourth time he got not only did he beat the Pistons, he swept the Pistons. He did not lose four years in a row. This would be the fourth time that Josh Allen lost to the Chiefs. So there's a word, though you can describe Josh Allen this year that has never really been used to describe him.
Speaker 5: Before, and it is composed. He is so composed this year. He is so clean this year.
Speaker 9: I don't even know if you understand how clean it's going to pay off in this game. Josh Allen this season has the lowest number of terrible plays by a quarterback in any season ever, better than Montana Young Brady Rogers.
Speaker 5: And what does that mean?
Speaker 9: The lowest percentage of plays that end with an interception, a fumble, or a sack since the merger. Four percent of the Bills offensive plays and in a sack, fumble, interception. And this is Josh Allen, the sugar high guy who does crazy things and can't.
Speaker 5: Control himself in big games.
Speaker 9: No one has been more composed than him this year, and yet he does still have that little devil on his shoulder. It never fully goes away. And just when you think you know, I got the angel over here that says, check it out, down, throw it out of the bounds.
Speaker 2: The devil says, dude, cool, do a cool play. Go later out to somebody, jump over somebody.
Speaker 10: Just do it.
Speaker 9: Why not, It'll be awesome. The highlights will love you. And we saw it. We almost saw it in this last game. Plait A second, is that James Cook about nine yards away? There's no one between me and it.
Speaker 5: What if I just picked it to him?
Speaker 10: What if I just talk?
Speaker 9: I'm sure that it won't become a fumble and the Ravens with scooping score and will lose. What if I just talked to me so cool and that was like do it, dude, do it, do it right, out do it. It's like the Green Goblin's mask and William Debout do it.
Speaker 2: He didn't do it. He didn't do it.
Speaker 9: And afterwards, well, this week rather, he was.
Speaker 2: Asked, hey, Josh, were you.
Speaker 9: Thinking about maybe tossing at the Cook.
Speaker 5: And the goal line?
Speaker 11: It looks like there was a moment where he thought about laddling the ball back James Cook.
Speaker 5: Did that go through your head?
Speaker 2: No, wouldn't young.
Speaker 7: Josh Allen had done that, He would have it. Yes, it may have crossed the mind. But yeah, I didn't do it.
Speaker 5: He's all grown up, and yes, of course he would have done it. Young Josh Allen would have done it behind his back backwards. That was him. He's composed now. He plays clean.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 9: If the Bills don't have a fumble or an interception or a sack, they're going to win this game. They run the ball better than the Chiefs. Their quarterback has played better than the Chiefs this year. It's down to that guy. How does he show up in this game and late in this game, does the devil win? Or does he finally just flick it off his shoulder and go to a super Bowl. There's going to be a moment where Josh Jawn right here has to play clean ball instead of crazy ball.
Speaker 5: I think that he will.
Speaker 6: I hope he doesn't play crazy ball, Kyle, because I think you myself, Jamie Peter, we all know he would line through his teeth because we saw his eyes on film. We saw it, and if it wasn't for that defender that came around and kind of kind of corralled and made sure he couldn't make that pitch, he would have done it. If he had the opportunity, he absolutely would have done it. And that could have been a game changer in that situation. But you talk about how to win this game, and you're talking about the running game, and of course, Josh Allen, this is a team I make more of a boxing a fictional boxing comparison to Rocky Balboa. And there's one of my favorite quotes is that you know, winning it's not about how hard you get hit. It's about your ability to get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. And did we see that in the Division round back in twenty twenty one when they were going blow for blow, just going back at each other. It was ridiculous the way they were going at each other. And remember with about you know, a little bit over a minute, it was twenty one twenty six, the Buffalo Bills were down and they were shooting. It was a shootout, and then it came down to that final thirteen seconds in the game and we saw Mahome rise up to the occasion. And when he does that and we's at his form, it's very very hard.
Speaker 2: So what I need to see.
Speaker 6: Out of Josh Allen they want an opportunity to beat the Kansas City Chiefs. They're going to need intestinal, testicular fortitude and they're going to need strength endurance to be able to handle the Kansas City Chiefs. They're too They're too hard, man, They're too hard. They have so much fighting them. I look at that over time and I just see the way they just march themselves down to finally get the victory with Kelsey. That to me defined to the Kansas City Chiefs. So they don't give up. If you hit them, they're gonna hit back harder. They're just gonna keep hitting and keep hitting, so we'll see how they respond. But I want to see a great game. I'm looking at this, I'm going, what do I want to see out of this game? I want to see what I saw in fact, even better, I want to see if they can do better than what we saw in that Division round a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: That's what I want out.
Speaker 5: Of this game. This is so great.
Speaker 3: We have so much more time to unpack this match up ahead of Sunday afternoon. Until then, Tom Pellisara, welcome inside. There's a lot of balancing act that occurs right now. It's looking at the postseason, but it's also decisions that teams are making when they're not playing. The New York Jets brought a couple guys into the building just to handle but they made some news yesterday when they finally landed on their new head coach.
Speaker 5: That's right, Jamie.
Speaker 11: After conducting over a dozen interviews with head coaching candidates, the Jets settled on the one that always seemed to be the favorite. Aaron Glenn is the new head coach of the New York Jets. Back with the franchise with which he played eight of his NFL seasons, also was a coach at one point in New York. Glenn said in the statement, this place is special to me where fans simply put, expect a winning team that you will be proud of. This is about culture for the New York Jets. This certainly follows another pattern as much as New York talked about potentially getting experience at one or both the positions as they changed head coach in general manager again and once again are going with a first time head coach from the defensive side, but the one that comes with a lot of credibility both for his work as a player and being a part of what they built in Detroit over the past several years. No general manager hire yet for the Jets. Darren Mougi, who was the Broncos assistant GM, and Trey Brown front office guy for the Bengals, both in the building today, Lance Newmark alive as well. Expect a decision as soon as tonight, I mean, while the Jaguars made a decision with some rather surprising timing, the team parting ways on Wednesday with their GM Trent Baulkey after fourth seasons at the Helm. Now This has been a decision that had been rumored for months. The Bulky, one way or another, might not be back with the Jaguars. In twenty twenty five, when shod Con announced the firing of Doug Peterson, he also announced that Bulky would return and be a big part of their coaching search. What happened over the past couple of weeks here where there were too many examples of head coaching candidates pulling back or expressing reservations about working with Bulkey in Jacksonville. The latest one was when Liam Cohen decided to return to Tampa Bay as offensive coordinator.
Speaker 2: There were a bunch of reasons for.
Speaker 11: That, including the Bucks making a big offer to Liam Cohen, but just hours later, the Jaguars made the announcement trend Balkey is out. They're recalibrating now with Ethan Waugh as their interim general manager. Patrick Graham, the former Raiders defensive coordinator, still on.
Speaker 2: He is interviewing for the head coaching.
Speaker 11: Job today, but expect them to potentially widen out their search as well as for the teams playing this weekend. One injury injury that we are monitoring is Jalen Hurts and that knee they got all twisted up last week. You can see the play right here where Jalen Hurts kind of crumples viely grabs toward that left knee. He was officially listed as limited in practice on Wednesday. Hurts old reporters he is taking it one day at a time. Said that he does plan to play on Sunday in the NFC Championship game against the Commanders, but when he was asked whether potential of that injury could limit his running ability, Hurts said, only every game is different. Certainly something to monitor both through the week and during the game on Sunday.
Speaker 4: AFC NFC Championship weekend, it's for all the marvels, and it's for a trip to go to the super Bowl. Do you know that this week all four teams have staff members who fly out to the super Bowl site to do something called advance work, just to see where our hotel is and where we're gonna bring our key sponsors. Think about that air of we're just one win away. That's how we feel on good morning for pretty cool, Pretty cool. Now we got four teams who are right there on the doorstep. It's a game we call we inter we out if I present a topic and my co hosts tell me whether they agree or they disagree.
Speaker 2: Here's my statement in a historical lens.
Speaker 4: Another big game and a trip to the super Bowl is far more significant than any of the regular season records we discussed when it comes to Saquon Barkley, Are we inn we out?
Speaker 3: Jamie Erdall, Oh my gosh, I just said, akbar. If that man is playing in a super Bowl in two weeks, I am just gonna my heart is just gonna melt. What What is it about his face, his determination, his story, It's absolutely incredible. I I another big game. In a trip verses, I'm in I'm in on this. I just like, I'm so shook by that music and by Saquon and everything that's going on. I'm in another big game and more significant. Yes, yes, yes, yes, And I'm also thinking about those advanced scout people that have to go and then they don't get to go to the super Bowl. I'm so distracted by Peter's t right. I'm in on this, sockbar.
Speaker 6: You know I'm in on this too. I absolutely love it because you look at this. Yes, the personal records they mean a lot, and you guys know, I wanted it badly for Saquon Barkley. It was just time to see that he's worked so hard, all the doubt that happened before and the you know, going into a new team situation. But it doesn't mean that there are more opportunities for him to pick up a Super Bowl ring and more records.
Speaker 5: You know, in this game.
Speaker 6: Saquon Barkley has the opportunity, in this championship game that he can pass Eric Dickerson this Sunday for total rushing yards in the season and postseason and move into third place. He's won that many yards and also has an opportunity, you know, depending on how he goes off, he has an opportunity to pass you know, that of Terrell Davis.
Speaker 5: So it would be cool to see him do that.
Speaker 6: But everybody knows super Bowl ring is the ultimate destination.
Speaker 5: Twenty one oh five would have been awesome.
Speaker 9: It's one of the few actual numbers in our sport that people remember. I don't know that Terrell Davis full season plus playoffs record, it's cool and everything.
Speaker 5: I love TD. That's not twenty one oh five was a number. However, this is what I would say.
Speaker 9: I've been able to go into the Super Bowl week in the Super Bowl Study many times over the years, and there's I would speak to Saquon, there's there's something called radio row and it'll be over sooner, it'll be podcast row, whatever the hell it is. But what I'm saying is there you see guys there. You see dignitaries there. Sometimes you'll see people walking around with the gold jacket on and it's unbelievable. Then you'll see other guys who are walking around who have Super Bowl rings on and it's incredible.
Speaker 5: And then you see guys who are walking around with both with.
Speaker 2: Both Kyle, you got me fired off.
Speaker 9: You got the jacket, they got the ring. Saquon, you can do that thirty years from now. You can show up with both of them. And that is a club in and of itself. It's right there from you. Also, you are going to be one of the very few or few players ever to as a running back lead the team to the super Bowl. Not in nineteen sixty eight, in twenty twenty five. It's a very rare club. And maybe one of those that Emmett really carried the Cowboys, but they're always kind of strung.
Speaker 5: Not this one.
Speaker 9: This one would be really special when in this era, with these rules and these quarterbacks, the running back held the team on his shoulders and carried them. That's a stick out super Bowl. That's Nick Foles did his amazing thing. This would be the Saquon Super Bowl. It would get you another step towards a gold jacket and would get you that ring.
Speaker 5: I'm in on this, and I think he should be too.
Speaker 4: I love your historical reference and thinking of like the rate because I go through it and I'm like, Barry.
Speaker 2: Sanders is one of the greatest running backs ever. He never played in Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: Eric Dickerson is one of the greatest running backs ever, never playing a Super Bowl sewn.
Speaker 2: Alexander was an MVP.
Speaker 5: Dandian Thomason like Danian.
Speaker 9: Thomlinson, I think he's on the rush more, never got.
Speaker 2: A ring, never got a chance to even played for one.
Speaker 6: You go down the list and Peter and of all the two thousand yard rushers, if I'm not mistaken, he would be the first of the two thousand yard rushers to get a Super Bowl ring.
Speaker 5: So that'd be pretty cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I think Terrell Davis hit two thousand once, right, that's.
Speaker 9: Those top names, OJ Dickerson, Derek Henrick Johnson.
Speaker 4: I also look at like like guys like Chris Carter who put together all these amazing statistical numbers and it was right there in the NFC Championship Game two different times and like couldn't get over the hub. I think this is huge for legacy stuff. Even getting to the Super Bowl and getting the chance. Hey, Walter Payton had that career and in the fifteenth season of his NFL career of sixteen years, he got a Super Bowl ring and it was like a saquon I think that is so much cooler than having an individual statistical season.
Speaker 2: I agree with you guys.
Speaker 4: I think that clip it's a little hollow if it doesn't come with a little bit more to it.
Speaker 5: Also, he had two thousand yards rushiing. It's really it happened. I mean, he had a great statistical season as well. It did.
Speaker 4: On the second topic, we're going to the other side. We're going to Chiefs versus Bills, and as the Chiefs host the Bills and what is their seventh straight AFC Championship Game appearance, Patrick Mahomes had to weigh in on things. He was asked if he feels the referees are protecting him, Take a listen.
Speaker 8: I don't feel that way. I mean, I just try to play football. At the end of the day. The referees are doing their best to call the game is as fair and as proper as they possibly can. And all you can do is go out there and play the game that you love as hard as you can and live with the results. And so for me, it's to go out there, play hard, try to do whatever I can to win the football game, and then live with the results based off of my effort and the way that we played the game. And so I think that's what we preach here in Kansas City.
Speaker 2: All right, myho like, get out here with that. Chiefs fans, you feel it, you know it.
Speaker 4: This is for Nick Wright and for all the others out there defending the Arrowhead Stadium.
Speaker 2: Chiefs fans, you should embrace being the villains this week. Are we in? Are we out? Jamie? Should? They already do?
Speaker 3: At least that's what I see Chiefs fans doing.
Speaker 2: They've been doing this.
Speaker 3: This is not the first pass that people trying to tear down Chiefs fans or the Chiefs or what they're trying to accomplish. I am in on this, but only because I know Chiefs are already The Chiefs fans are already doing this. Kyle in on the fact that they should embrace this because this is just another year for them.
Speaker 9: Well, it's such a departure for them because their reputation is that they're so kind in Midwesterners and it's Paul Run and it's Rob.
Speaker 5: Wrigglin like that.
Speaker 9: There's really nice people who just love barbecue and football. Hell, yes, you should embrace it. You're a Talk to the Patriots fans. They got all the calls. They were going, cheaters, you're cheating the game. What am I supposed to tell my children? We had Dennis Leary and here the actor, longtime Patriots fan.
Speaker 5: He's like, my cup is full. I don't care if Drake may works O. I don't give it.
Speaker 2: Damn.
Speaker 5: I already won all the Super Bowls.
Speaker 2: I don't care.
Speaker 5: I'm good.
Speaker 9: Go talk to Yankees fans. They're the evil Empire. Do you think any of the think of a damn? Would anyone think of them? They got they got beachfront property. As sports fans, it's a great place to go. You wish you could be the villain. Go ahead, either die hero or live long enough to become a villain. Here you go, Kansas City, embrace it.
Speaker 2: Embrace it.
Speaker 5: I'm in on that one as well.
Speaker 6: Just embrace it. Look, you haters are gonna hate when you're successful like that. People are gonna hate on you. So I say, lean in on it now. I will say, I do think that, of course Patrick Mahomes might be a little blinded by superstar privilege, because of course everybody can see the advantages that he has. But you know what, I don't blame him. Lean in on it and maybe everybody else will start to adopt it and adapt to it.
Speaker 4: Here's where it will swing. Because I live online. Unfortunately, I see what happens. And it's like Chiefs fans are very defensive of everything about this, that the calls go their way and that they get favors. When you really embrace being the villain, you go like this and you have a black hat on and you say, yeah, we do get all the calls and the league does favor us. You know, it's so nice when we have those Super Bowl parade. That's when you really embrace being the villain instead of fighting off all the haters and saying no, no, no, no, we don't.
Speaker 2: Get calls look at this thing.
Speaker 4: No no, you look at it and you go, yeah, maybe we do come and beat us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's when you really become the villain.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we get all the calls. We get the call every year from the league. What time should the parades start? It's a great call.
Speaker 2: Do you want that Disney World trip?
Speaker 5: Yes, then we got a call about that when we get.
Speaker 2: The rings down there.
Speaker 6: I wanted something a little a little more intense, like something like the Undertaker, like.
Speaker 2: Rest in Peace.
Speaker 5: That's how you do it.
Speaker 2: Right there, That's how you do it.
Speaker 5: That's how you come to the villain.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you could make eyes frols the back of your head. That's very impressive.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Peter Schrager, we in we out perfect topics. I'm in on the following segments Schreger's NFL Trivia. I think I've become like an obsessed fan. Let's special edition, righting Conference Championships.
Speaker 4: Guys, for the first time since nineteen ninety two, that franchise is going to the NFC Championship round and in Shreger's NFL Trivia.
Speaker 2: And it is all Washington base.
Speaker 4: We are going back to the seventies, the eighties, and the nineties, and we are reliving some of the best moments for Washington football fans, because since nineteen ninety two, this team has not been.
Speaker 2: To this stage of the NFL season. Bar, We're gonna start.
Speaker 4: With you, and we're gonna give you the question.
Speaker 2: Of the broadcast elemental of this.
Speaker 4: This is the first time we will ever have a broadcast of the NFC Championship game with it Washington's in it on Fox cool, so Ocbar, I will ask you this question. Which two broadcasters were the voices of the five conference championship games that Washington played in during the nineteen eighties and nineties. The same two guys were in the boot for five different conference championship games. Was it Alt Michaels and Lynn Swann? Was it Dick Enberg and Bob Trump?
Speaker 5: Be Trump?
Speaker 4: Was it Howard Cosell and Don Meredith? Or was it Pat summer Ale and John Madden. Remember Fox didn't pick up the NFL since ninety four, so all these games were on CBS.
Speaker 6: Oh, okay, okay, this is really good. I remember how Sell from his boxing days with mohammadad Lee just being downright truck eat and he did do football. But I don't think it was Edburgh being an eighties kid, nineties kid. I mean, there's only two voices that inspired me to even be where I'm at today. I'm gonna have to go with Pat Somemrol and Pope John Matten. That was a bad John Madden voice, but that's what I think it is. I think it's Sehn Madden and Pat summerl.
Speaker 4: All right, viewers at home, I want you to just sit back and enjoy the next minute of NFC Championship introductions on screen by the best to ever do it.
Speaker 12: Working with me of course, as always is the former Oakland Raider head coach John matt and John Frankly.
Speaker 5: What kind of game do you see?
Speaker 10: I think both of these defenses are going to go after each other. I think we're going to see a lot of blitzing.
Speaker 13: Now.
Speaker 10: The last time they played, the Redskins didn't handle the blitzer.
Speaker 12: The Cowboys, you know, the forty nine ers came into Washington, d C.
Speaker 10: Two days early.
Speaker 12: They came here, as a matter of fact, late Thursday night.
Speaker 10: They worked out two days on.
Speaker 12: An uncovered Field at the University of Maryland, and I think, and I think John Madden.
Speaker 5: Agrees with me, that that's the way to approach this thing.
Speaker 10: I really do. I think, you know, especially when you're coming from the West coast to the East coast, that you have that three hour time difference. And this game is going to start at nine the forty.
Speaker 12: Nine er times CBS Sports presents the National Football League Today, it's the New York Giants against the Redskins of Washington live from RFK Stadiums. It is the NFC Championship game between the Minnesota Vikings and the Washington Redskins, and RFK Stadiums, where no one, I think when this all began expected to be is sold out as usual.
Speaker 10: We've been watching Joe Gibbs coaches, watching the Redskins beam for eleven years, and the end of this game is the happiest that I have seen in the those eleven years.
Speaker 2: That's so cool, Ogs lessons up cool.
Speaker 4: That's how it was they did all those NFC championship games. Madden and Summer all achbar, You're right, children of the.
Speaker 2: Eighties and nineties.
Speaker 4: Kyle and I were talking about it here on the show. I say like we're growing up. It was the forty nine ers, it was the Cowboys, and it was Washington.
Speaker 2: They're one of those teams.
Speaker 4: And I feel like an entire generation of fans don't even know that.
Speaker 2: And now they're back at the NFC.
Speaker 9: So many games at RFK that was always like the big game.
Speaker 5: Was there any movement Peter on RFK Junior Stadium? Maybe very healthy concessions, It's very healthy.
Speaker 4: The time we used to have the big noses and the guys drift at the hog ats Yeah, hous and a.
Speaker 5: Visa commercial, did Jamie.
Speaker 2: We are in a nostalgia mode here. And the last time that Washington.
Speaker 4: Played in the NFC Championship game was actually.
Speaker 2: January of ninety two.
Speaker 4: In that game, the Washington defense held which Hall of Fame running back to just forty four yards rushing?
Speaker 2: Was it a Smith?
Speaker 4: B Barry Sanders, see Walter Payton or d the great Marshall?
Speaker 2: Fuck?
Speaker 3: Okay, only because we're in the Lions were great thirty years ago.
Speaker 5: Era, I'm gonna.
Speaker 9: Go with B.
Speaker 5: Barry Sanders.
Speaker 3: I was four years old.
Speaker 2: I don't know that's okay.
Speaker 4: You saw Wayne Fontz just embracing Joe Gibbs. You better believe it was Barry Sanders, who klan is one of the all time great running backs. That is right, Jamie, b Barry Sanders. Let's run the clips. Barry comes in as like the superstar of the world. Can he go in to Washington and get this win? Unfortunately, it wasn't gonna be this day for Lions fans. Washington just absolutely swallowed him on this one.
Speaker 2: All the different highlights you see. It was a forty four.
Speaker 4: Yard rushing day in the biggest game of Barry Sanders' careers, the furthest he would ever get in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: They get stuffed in the.
Speaker 4: NFC Championship game, just like Saquon that's to the NFC Championship Game. But as a great running back, could not get over the hump kin.
Speaker 2: Saque do it.
Speaker 4: We'll see he'll be going up against a Washington defense himself to reach the Super Bowl for the first time.
Speaker 2: Great job, Jamie, look at that defense from the area of view. Who need to drone? You have that cool?
Speaker 5: My drone is the goodyear blimp.
Speaker 14: Peter.
Speaker 2: We go back with great deal.
Speaker 5: I'm a blimp this year. He means you got a game all right, Kyle.
Speaker 4: On January seventeenth, nineteen eighty eight, Washington beat Minnesota in the NFC Championship Games.
Speaker 9: Was right before my ninth birthday, Right before your ninth birthday.
Speaker 4: Minnesota beat San Francisco the week before. They were this upstart team and they gave Washington everything they could.
Speaker 2: Here is a clip from the.
Speaker 4: Radio of Doug Williams's fourth quarter game winning touchdown.
Speaker 2: Pass to the great Gary Clark Bush.
Speaker 11: He don want it back to pack looking look he throws the.
Speaker 13: Night A good big day Clark play game that I had. They go to Gary Clark and they win seventeen to ten, and they head to the Super Bowl where obviously they would demolish the.
Speaker 4: Denver Broncos and Doug Williams would get his Super Bowl ray.
Speaker 5: It was a little detail that I always loved what he got.
Speaker 9: Back in the day, when they would show how much time was left in the game, five minutes and ten seconds, it was actually a camera shot of the stadium clock.
Speaker 5: It wasn't an on screen graphic.
Speaker 9: They were filming the stadium clock and they.
Speaker 2: Put it there was a score book. Take me back, there was nothing.
Speaker 4: Vikings fan, sorry to have to relive that you still haven't been back to the super Bowl, but Washington went there.
Speaker 5: You got a Viking's question for me. Let's go. I'm ready, Kyle. That was it?
Speaker 2: Jerry Banuary of eighty eight?
Speaker 10: Okay?
Speaker 2: What was the number one.
Speaker 4: Movie in America the night that Washington beat Minnesota in the eighty seven NFC Championship Game? Was it A Good Morning Vietnam?
Speaker 2: Was it b Throw Mama from the Train? Was it c Overboard or was itdeed? Eddie Murphy raw.
Speaker 5: I'll start from the bottom. Eddie Murphy Raw.
Speaker 9: That a facto follow up, the delirious Eddie Murphy in a skin tight purple leather suits his post forty eight Hours.
Speaker 5: Eddie Murphy huge deal.
Speaker 9: A lot of it is aged terribly, but there's one part where Eddie makes fun of the moonwalk.
Speaker 5: That was the thing where he's like.
Speaker 9: He didn't know how to do it, and he'd be like, I don't get it. He say hey, baby, let's dance see later, and everyone would just laugh.
Speaker 5: Everyone's just actually died.
Speaker 9: I think it did make money, but I don't think it was a huge number one hit Overboard.
Speaker 5: My wife and I loved this movie. Anie Goola here, I think they.
Speaker 9: Remade it with Anna Faris didn't have the same charm. Now, Throw Mama from the Train is a fascinating movie directed by Danny de Vito, very dark comedy in with Danny DeVito wants Billy Crystal to kill his mom who is Mama for Telly and Billy Crystal wants Danny DeVito to kill his wife.
Speaker 5: It's all over the map.
Speaker 9: I'm not gonna spoil it out there what happens with the Mama.
Speaker 5: I also don't think.
Speaker 9: That was a big hit, but I know that Good Morning Vietnam, in my opinion, a Robert wool vehicle. Sorry, and Alvin Williams JT. Walsh incredible too. As the heavy the movie goes weird places and there's death and miserable stuff. I just remember my uncle Bob. May he rest in peace. I loved him. We used to go together away as a family, and every single morning, to get the kids out of bed, he would go to our room and go, good morning.
Speaker 5: I miss your uncle Bob, I miss your Robin Williams. It's a big hit.
Speaker 9: I think it's good Morning Vietnam.
Speaker 2: The correct answer is good Morning.
Speaker 9: This inspired our show name in twenty sixteen, what do we call the show?
Speaker 5: And Michael Davey said.
Speaker 9: Remember Vietnam with Robin william Let's call it good Morning's Football.
Speaker 5: And that's yes.
Speaker 2: It was just like your no sorry, good Morning Vietnam. You nailed it, really would have.
Speaker 5: I mean I could be wrong here.
Speaker 2: One of Robin's first serious roles massive breakout.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and there are very serious parts of it. I love the JT. Walsh character.
Speaker 9: The whole thing is like, now you would read the news without any jokes, without any bets. He's like, okay, and then he would just ad lib.
Speaker 5: It's very funny. But I heav you roll at parts.
Speaker 2: I love this great great trip down No Styalta Lane.
Speaker 4: Good Morning Vietnam was the number one from all four of those movies, though did finish in the top ten.
Speaker 2: That was that, right, Yeah.
Speaker 9: I feel like if her MoMA was Abomba, I guess not Okay from Billy Crystal was hot.
Speaker 4: Go find it, guys, Mama for Telly great Gooney's all right, guys, the video clue.
Speaker 2: We're staying in Washington, d C.
Speaker 4: This is this is for those fans right now who have been longing for them to be in the NFC Championship Game for thirty some odd years. Down thirty four to ten in the fourth quarter of the ninety one NFC Championship Game, what happens on this Lions offensive play? They're down twenty four points in the fourth Is it A Herman Moore has an eighty two yard touchdown reception.
Speaker 2: Is it B Matt millan sack of andre ware to put.
Speaker 9: This game on ice?
Speaker 4: Is it CE Dexter Manley has a strip sack of fumble recovery for a touchdown? Or is it D Darryl Green, the the future Hall of Famer has a pick six to.
Speaker 2: Put the game away. We'll go up that way, okbar, Jamie Kyle, Okay, straight up, it's D.
Speaker 6: Darryl Green thirty two yards pick six.
Speaker 5: It's got to be. It has to be took.
Speaker 3: You know I always go pick six. I'm going to go D Daryl Green thirty two yard pick six.
Speaker 5: Well, I know it's not a because.
Speaker 9: If we pay attention earlier in the segment, they reference this game and it was forty one to ten final score. But I don't think it's not a defensive score. I know Peter Peter has a soft spot for Matt Mellan. He's always like Matt Millan. So I'm going to go be a sack of andre Ware, who I loved in college.
Speaker 4: Andre Ware University of Houston, a Heisman Trophy winner. For the actual answer, I want you to watch the broadcast clip and listen, because I think it's Madden in summer, all at their all time best, and you can feel that the catharsis of a fan base knowing they're going to go play the Buffalo Bills in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Take a listen where.
Speaker 14: By Darryl Green and Darryl Green will go for Washington.
Speaker 10: Where they don't. By Darryl Green, they done.
Speaker 14: Their carry Daryl Green right out of the stadium.
Speaker 10: There's not much to Green. They picked them up for home up.
Speaker 2: Witness dans Ernie to yard pick up.
Speaker 13: This has been a.
Speaker 14: Complete game for these Redskins today, and the owner that gets cooked all he can do is laugh. It's been offense, it's been defense, it's been special teams.
Speaker 2: Again. Chills, chills, Uh.
Speaker 4: That's what football used to be like in the eighties, a rocking stadium where the camera is shaking and you hear a marching band with a drum and you see the joy of the fans on what looks to be does an incredibly terribly kept surface.
Speaker 2: That's what it was that Darryl Green one of his greatest moments. Kyle, your thoughts.
Speaker 9: I just think the most special moment in all of the NFL season is when a home team knows that's going to win the title game, you're going to the super Bowl. The super Bowl is different. It's not the same home atmosphere, it's not a lot of the fans. It's the last time so many of those fans are going to see their team and we're.
Speaker 5: Going to the super Bowl.
Speaker 9: It's it's kind of like a basketball player wearing the net when they're going to the Final four.
Speaker 5: They haven't won the.
Speaker 9: Title yet, but they're going to the Final four and we just saw it and we can see it from Eagles or Chiefs fans again this weekend.
Speaker 5: So cool.
Speaker 3: To Kyle's point, just like the roar of the crowd and honestly, listening to the broadcasters in the play, I love me at a throwback pick six.
Speaker 6: This feels like Peter like with all this just feels like you're you're, you're, you're setting it up for for later in the week here to tell us that the Commanders are going to the super Bowl.
Speaker 3: So many of those so many of those plays are home to Peter's point, Like, you know, the fact that they got to go to Philadelphia and do this is a whole different beast, no doubt.
Speaker 4: I'll just say this, there was once upon a time where that franchise super Bowl was not a big deal. They would go every other year, find themselves there. Maybe we're entering that era again. I'm just saying I'm.
Speaker 5: Not going to do it next week.
Speaker 9: Can't do next week trivia about rookies in the Super Bowl quarterback.
Speaker 5: There's ever been one. It would be the first ever.
Speaker 2: Can't do it trivia, folks, let's go
Speaker 9: So good, we got all Dutch