Speaker 1: Hey, folks, an American woman sets a teen USA record in Paris. They give her her medal, and then they give her an invoice for five hundred and sixty five dollars. Welcome to this special episode of Amy and TJ. Robes. Now, I think I described that correctly. The voice was not for the metal, but for something else that Haley Badden did in the race.
Speaker 2: Yes, apparently she went mistakenly through a lane that was dedicated for taking on food or drink or having some sort of mechanical issue. So the judges reviewed the footage and saw that even though she went down the lane, she didn't eat anything and she didn't fix anything, so she was fine.
Speaker 3: So the thank goodness, she wasn't disqualified.
Speaker 1: She went and I didn't really we were learning so much about rules of a lot of these sports, and in this mountain racing, mountain bike racing, the race that she was in, Yes, you could be disqualified for some like that. So we've been talking about dramas and points and scoring and protests. It was happening in mountain bike and even though it didn't get as much attention, it was going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know what we should ask the young woman who actually won the silver medal, Haley Batten, twenty five years old, and congratulations Haley.
Speaker 3: You're coming to us from Spain.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, I'm in Gerona, Spain right now, preparing for World Championships.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, help us understand this? You preparing for You should have been preparing for the Olympics the past four years. Now you're preparing for something else already. Is this just the schedule for you? I guess world class mountain bikers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, it's crazy how you invest so many years in preparation for one day, one hour and a half.
Speaker 5: But yeah, no, pretty quickly.
Speaker 4: We still have a whole World Cup calendar and World Championships events coming up, so yeah, it's you know, we race for our factory teams as well and for you know, our nations you know at THEIST championship events. So yeah, the racing must go on for sure.
Speaker 3: I mean, it sounds like you're having fun while you're doing it.
Speaker 2: Tell me, can you tell us how you celebrated your silver metal victory and really, you know, breaking that barrier that TJ just mentioned you this was the highest ever finished for an American in this particular sport, so what an incredible feed not just a metal but a record.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, it is.
Speaker 4: It's kind of crazy when you put it that way, for sure. I I mean, everything's been a whirlwind for the past week. I'd say, you know, you start the race, there's so much focus and preparation, you know, mental and physical to get to that start line and then to execute the day with you know, all the excitement, energy, so.
Speaker 5: Much going on in the race.
Speaker 4: And then you finish and pretty quickly, you know, I had awards ceremony, anti doping, you rushed off to media. You're running all over the place and it's hard to even process you know what happened when you cross the finish line.
Speaker 5: But you know, it was really cool to go to the Team USA house.
Speaker 4: I have in my family, my coach, all these people involved, and you know, the excitement around the Olympics for Team USA is huge, right, It's not just an athlete stream, but it's really a childhood dream. So there's a lot of energy and Team USA does it better than else anybody else. I really believe, like it was really really cool to be part of that.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, congratulations, you are a part of that. You add it to that metal count. So congratulations, And we were asking because it's funny, we're waiting on Haley to come back and get a Heroes welcome. You're not going to be home with that silver medal for a while, because you can on vacation. You went to Paris and now you're there. When will you actually set foot back in the US.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so probably like the first week of September actually, So I've got a home there wins month, Yeah, to prepare for World Championships in Andorra, and then right after that race, I have a couple of days to pack up my bags. I've been based here in Girona between all the races, and yeah, then I go back to Santa Cruz, California to be back with my family, which will be really nice.
Speaker 2: So nice, the silver medal can can finally come home back to the United States.
Speaker 5: It's heavy too, right, It's not easy to lug around.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's heavy, but it's it's worth the wait.
Speaker 2: Right, What was it like for you to have that moment of glory realizing you won silver? But then how quickly were you slapped with this fine and and how are you feeling about that? Were you concerned it could be an even harsher penalty. Give us a sense of what that moment was like for you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh my gosh, no, you're bringing it back for sure.
Speaker 4: I mean you cross the finish line, there's all this energy like I did it, you know, like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 5: And then you're pretty quickly, you know, you finish, people are yelling at you, like to go through.
Speaker 4: Media and to get in line. You know, all these people are asking questions. So you know, first I get the media questions of oh, how is the race, like how do you feel? And then all of a sudden, I'm going down the line and somebody's like, oh, you know, you know you did this thing and the look that, and I'm like just saying, like, what are you talking about? You know, I was honestly in shock. I had no idea what was going on, and and they're like, you know, I mean a lot of it is you know, it is media. You know, they're getting excited about something, and they're definitely you know, building it up a bit. They you know, they told me people would protest, but I've talked to both Jenny and Puck, so nobody actually wanted to protest. So yeah, it was definitely a lot of slap in the face for sure after the race, and you're just like kind of shocked about like one, you know, I'm never an athlete to try and ever take a shortcut, you know, to win a race. You know, that's not who I am. That's not what I want to do. So to feel you know, one questioning, oh gosh, did I do something wrong? You know, but to still hold your head high was definitely a bit tricky. But no, at the end of the day, you know, these things happen mound bike racing. I don't This isn't my first mound bike race. I've been racing since I was like nine years old. So we do a lot of World Cup races, we have eighty year and these yeah, the rules are there.
Speaker 5: And it happens. You know, this happens a lot in racing.
Speaker 4: And the feed zone's always been like a tricky area, you know, and when you're in the heat of the race, and I think they announced that rule, you know, in the days leading up, but when you're racing, you know, you just you're in the moment you're going, you're getting from point A to point B, and no, I respect the rule and you know, I am you know, if they need to find me for it, for doing something just to keep you know, the racing, you know, in the order that it needs to be.
Speaker 5: I'll respect that and I'll take it for sure.
Speaker 1: But can you tell during the race though I think this happened on the next to last lap. You can correct me if I'm wrong on that. But it happened. But when it happened, did you in the moment think that there was a questionable thing you had done or a rule you had broken?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: No, Like I said, I finished the race and I had no idea what they were talking about. I was like, oh my god, did I in the last lap not take a bottle or something like that? Like I said, the feed zones are They're the same way at every World's Cup. It's like this. You know, one lane is to the left, one lane to the right, and so yeah, I mean it was just I was just getting to the finish line as fast as I could.
Speaker 1: That's weird to think that that that they said there was an issue. You couldn't think of anywhere in the race where it might have even been a question. You didn't even think back to that. That's amazing that, Yeah, And.
Speaker 2: The wild thing is if you had grabbed a power bar or something like that, it wouldn't have been an issue, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if I had, if somebody had thrown something at me, it probably wouldn't have been an issue. You know. It's like a physio but like, yeah, like my physio had already gone to the finish line to give me a bottle at the finish line, so yeah, crazy, wow, Wow, it's not a mistake, right, like it is and I own that. You know, when you're in the heat of the race and you're focus on one thing, and if you know, if you you know, we take bottles every lap, but not every lap, you know, you take a bottle, you take a drink, you don't, you know, I had. I got a flat tire as well, so I had to come through. They changed my wheel and I kept going. So there's a lot going on racing and go through the feed zone twice a lap. Sometimes you take a bottle, sometimes you don't, and if you don't, you need to go around when you're with a group of people. And so I think, you know, in my head, when you're the point of the rule, right, which I absolutely respect, is when you're in a bunch race. Exciting racing, right, there's a lot happening. You need to make sure that when riders are going through the feed zone, they don't get it that they only take bottles and they don't advance in the race because of that. So when it comes to the last lap, you know when there's no nobody's drinking anymore, right, you're not taking feeds in the last lap. It's yeah, I guess you know. It just spaced my mind that I needed to grab something because we never do in the last lap.
Speaker 3: So wow, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: And to give people who are listening and an idea of what it is to race a mountain bike race. In the Olympics, they're twisting gravel paths, I've learned, a technical rock garden, a challenging climb. This is just under twenty miles, is that correct?
Speaker 5: Oh? Oh gosh.
Speaker 4: I don't actually know how what the total amount of mile inches, but the course is for four k yeah, and we did about I think we did eight laps of the course or maybe seven seven to eight laps.
Speaker 5: I'd have to go back to check.
Speaker 2: With Yeah, seven seven two point four mile laps, that's what I got online. But I'm talking about the expert here, but I was just trying to imagine what that is like, just to have to go through and anticipate all of that terrain.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's I mean it's really intense, right, Like the start line is also a mass start, so you race for an hour and a half and you start in the start line. At the Olympics it's only thirty eight riders I think, but at World's Cups, you know, it can be over one hundred. So you're starting lined up next to each other, eight people to a row. And in the Olympics, I was second row, right and you the We have a light panel, so it goes from from red to green, so similar like Formula one. When it turns green, you have a small pedal like this big and you have to clip your pedal on perfectly and from then you you go. And it's basically I mean, it's endurance racing, but it's also really intense. We're basically going maximal effort for an hour and a half. So there's it's really unique to train for because it's not a sprint, you know, but it's also not quite endurance pace, so you have to be the full package of fitness being able to do like high power but also sustain your effort.
Speaker 1: Haley, we're learning so much about a lot of Olympic sports, from canoeing, the skateboarding to a lot of stuff, and this is one as well. But can you explain the folks this part, how it's possible you can have a busted wheel on your bike but still end up just to have to stop and get it repaired, but still end up with a silver metal. How did this all go down?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, for sure. So I mean, like you said, our courses are pretty intense. There's steep climes, there's gravel corners, you know, but there's also these big rock gardens. So you have to be physically fit, but you also have to be very skilled and to set up your equipment right for the demands of that course. So we're always changing, you know, we're choosing our tires, we're setting up our suspension, we're choosing the type of bike that will race, dependent on you know, how big these features are and what the demands of the course are. So I had just I had a bad start off the line. I was in maybe twelfth position or so, and in this course, you know, I mean, this is very in their nitty gritty, But it depends on, you know, when you want to be forward, how you pace your race based on how soon the track becomes you know, goes from dirt road double track to single track where it's only single file and you can't pass people. So there's a lot of different elements that you're always thinking about. But I had just caught up to the chase group, which was about four to five riders really battling. First had kind of taken off, and second and third weren't far off, and I was racing with them for a while, and then I just dropped them on one of the climb and I was catching the bronze metal position at the time, and I, you know, I went over the limit a little bit. That's also a thing in mountain biking. You have to balance, you know, how hard you go up a climb, because if you do, you know, too much effort and you're a little bit tired. As you go into these rock gardens, maybe you won't choose the right line and you might make a mistake or you might crash. I didn't quite do that, but I went a little too fast on the downhill and I hit this rock super hard with my tire. I broke the wheel and I flatted, and I was lucky because I was relatively close to the feed zone. I still had to go over, you know, a couple other rock sections, but I was lucky. My mechanic saw me a switch back ahead and he could tell the way I was riding. He's like, oh, my gosh, I think she has a flat tire. And I was as I was going around one of the drops that I obviously couldn't ride with my flat tire. The two riders, Jenny Ridsbed's who ended up up getting bronze, and then my teammate from Specialized in from Austria. They both went by and Jenny actually told my feeds and my mechanic that I had a flat tire, so he was ready for me, and so when I came in, maybe I was in like sixth position or seventh position. By then he did the fastest wheel chain ever, like maybe record. I think they're just the energy and the excitement and everything.
Speaker 1: You know what, Haley, I'm curious how fast can I change a tire?
Speaker 4: I mean they're changing the full wheel right, so they remove the rear wheel, they shift it into the right gear, They remove the rear wheel, they pop a new wheel and with the tire after right my pressure that I need, and then I go and they and they try to get into the right gear too, because if it's in too big of a gear and I can't pedal right right right away, it needs to be the right gear so I can actually pedal out the right cadence and the right power right when I take off. But he did it, I think in less than twenty seconds, which is.
Speaker 3: In twenty seconds. That is crazy.
Speaker 2: So what's going through your mind now? Are you thinking my Olympic metal hopes are shattered? Are you thinking this is doable? I can go Like what's going through your head when you have a flat tire and a broken wheel?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: All of that went through my head when I first broke my you know, when I hit my wheel on the rock and I was like, oh, that didn't sound good. You know, there's a chance that that's a flat, you know, And then I could feel it going flat.
Speaker 5: When I was right, I was like, how could you lose?
Speaker 4: Like I finally moved in the metal positions, right, I'm finally battling for the metals, and I was like, how could you lose this opportunity, you know, And I'd already had a bad start, so I was, you know what what you know, this is the second time, and now you're like, how do you mess it up? You know? But you really have to switch your mentality from those thoughts and clear that's away as quickly as possible and just focus on the moment. And I will say, like after he fixed my flat, it was like I had this new energy in me, Like I went to a place that I don't think I've ever been before. I was just so I knew I was physically fit, and it was like I had nothing to lose, right, Like now I had I have nothing, or maybe I can get a medal. So I just I had no pacing to worry about. I had know I could take every risk I wanted, right. I just needed to go as hard as I could to catch you. And it was like my like I really I felt no pain. It was crazy, like I could just go so deep and I could push so hard because I wanted it so bad, and it was like all the adrenaline in my body, you know, was helping me race at my fastest. So it was crazy how quickly I caught back up into the metal positions, and then one of the riders crashed. Another rider also flatted, So yeah, it became like full sprint all the way to the finish, you know, and like now you're hearing there's so much excitement. You're you also like not just all this, but the mechanicals, the equipment. You're fueling every lap. You have to get your fueling right for how much you need to fuel for the duration of an hour and a half. And there's a lot going on in these races, right, It's not just like, oh, I went through the feed zone like sorry, guys. It's like, no, really, I was racing for a silver medal I and I'm in the moment. Everything's a blurb, right, You're just getting there to the finish line as fast as you can, and so yeah.
Speaker 5: Mistakes happen. There's a lot going on and mountain bike racing.
Speaker 1: It's so cool they hear this because this is part of what Robot and I've enjoyed in watching, because when you get a commentator on who can explain things to you because they've done it, and they're explaining technical things that maybe we didn't notice. And here I thought you were riding a bike. I thought you were just peddling and making some lefts and rights. It's so cool to hear you explain it the way you have at a bad start, went too fast down a hill and busted at tire and food zone. If you put together a good race, you might win.
Speaker 2: Right when you say you fuel, Hayley, I'm always curious because we've were nowhere near being Olympians, but we have run a few marathons and fueling's always like the issue. I never know we're training for one, right now, what do.
Speaker 5: You especially for a marathon?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: But what do you eat or drink while you're biking to have your optimum performance?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So, I mean carbohydrates are key and obviously this goes before the race start, right you're doing this for weeks, leading in every day for years. Maybe you know before, during, and after, but the key in a race in long train or you know, any training from like two to four hours. What you guys are doing a marathon that's long fueling is like in my mind, when it comes to endurance racing, that's win or lose, Like it's a game of fueling. It's not a game of fitness. It's a game of fueling. I you know, when I'm doing training rides, I'm shooting from anywhere from ninety to one hundred and twenty rams of carbohydrates.
Speaker 5: That's carbohydrates.
Speaker 4: That's not calories, right, that's looking at your your bar and looking just at carbs and being like, I need to have ninety to one hundred and twenty grams every hour.
Speaker 5: That's a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you do you ever?
Speaker 2: But like here's me, I'm asking for my own personal I'm just so curious. Do you ever get ill by consuming all that? Do you ever feel like do you are these like the little power gummy thingies or the the gels?
Speaker 3: Like what is it you're putting in?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I mean that's such a good question because this takes years to figure out, especially for a marathon race, right, Like you need to figure out what sits, what works for you, how you're gonna maybe even preload a bit before the race, you know?
Speaker 5: And what's that saying fuel early? Fuel?
Speaker 4: Often like you always need to just like every twenty minutes be fueling. But no, it's it's years of figuring out, Okay, what works for me?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 4: Do I use a high you know? High carbohydrate drink mix. Does I have a next you know, enough electrolytes and salt for my sweat rate? You know, we do sweat rate testing for heat, like how hot is it going to be?
Speaker 5: You know? And then you.
Speaker 4: Also, yeah, maybe it's choos, maybe it's gels, maybe it's bars, and you know sometimes when I go on a four hour, right, it's a whole mix of all of those things, and then making sure all those things are compatible, Like you don't want to awful because you mix, yeah, too many brands, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Because if you have stomach issues, it's not it's not going to end well. It's not going to end well for you. I'm still I'm literally training for my sixth moth and I still haven't figured it out.
Speaker 1: Hailey. If you can tell she has stomach issues and she is a she is a dry heaver. So that's what.
Speaker 3: I want to know. How you figured it out years of trial and error.
Speaker 5: That makes sense for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But in a marathon, I mean you must just have to eat one what you like and also just drinking enough I can imagine and feeling they're.
Speaker 3: Not drinking too much because it can be This is like stuff I can't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can't imagine.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'm curious how many calories? How much do you burn? How many calories can you burn in one race?
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, do you want me to.
Speaker 3: Check of chefs?
Speaker 4: I would love I could tell you, like a in a ride, In just a ride, I mean, it's pretty easy to go to twenty five hundred calory, you know, kj's or something. Yeah, so today I could tell you today, just like a two out two forty ride, I burned fifteen hundred kJ. So that's not crazy, that's not a crazy day. But in a race, I mean for sure fifteen hundred for.
Speaker 3: Sure, maybe more.
Speaker 2: And you know what, you came back from a very serious injury just last year, back in June of twenty twenty three, you suffered a concussion in a training crash in Austria. Coming back from something like that physically is one thing, but also mentally correct What did you have to do to I mean, the idea of crashing at the rates of speed you're going at on the kind of terrain you're writing in is frightening, to say the least mentally. How did you get past that and through it?
Speaker 5: Yeah? For sure? That was my hardest injury so far.
Speaker 4: You know, I've I've had cuts and bruises, you know, and bad crashes that are scary, but for sure concussion one hundred percent was the scariest one so far. And I think it's because it really affects your perception of reality, you know, like puts you in this like fog right or what I call like a fish bowl where you just aren't experiencing life with the clarity and joy. That is what's so great, you know about just like just daily life, you know. And that injury was really hard to because it took me a lot longer than I expected to recover. It was I think like five weeks before I could really get back to fully training again. And that was because I that when I crash, it was actually between two races, so I had done a race the day before, and then I was on training on the course to finalize some of my lines on some of the technical sections and I crashed and it wasn't even a bad crash. I didn't think I had a concussion actually, so I got up, I kept riding. I was totally fine, and I actually decided to race the next day.
Speaker 5: And that was the number one mistake.
Speaker 4: So as I've learned, like since then, is a concussion can those symptoms can develop within twenty four to forty eight hours later. And so because I played with that really crucial recovery window, you know, my blood pressure went up, my heart rate, your you know, I was having caffeine, all these things that were fully suboptimal for what I needed to do to help my brain recost, and that really affected my recovery timeline. So it took a lot longer than it needed to and it made my symptoms a lot worse. And yeah, it took me a lot longer to recover. So that was really hard, and I had a lot of amazing people supporting me and helping guide me to the right things to do, because as an athlete, it's really easy to try and get right back on the bike or you know, get back to training.
Speaker 5: Or push through, push through, push through.
Speaker 4: And I think the lessons that that injury taught me went way beyond just injury recover but has helped me a lot as an athlete since then, of learning the difference between working harder and working smarter, and being able to listen to my body and how I feel, and also just appreciating my sport even more and what I do and why I love it, because an injury like that makes you really reflect on why the heck do I do this crazy thing?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 5: Do I want to keep doing it?
Speaker 4: And just like gratitude for life and the sport that I do and how lucky I am to pursue it at a high level. So yeah, I learned a lot during that time and it was really hard.
Speaker 1: Oh well, it's good to see you. You're back, and obviously it was certainly think it's worth it, But can you tell me, because you Olympics, your your race just happened. You got out of there and you're on to the next thing. But did you get the full Olympic experience. I'm just curious about our Olympic village if you got to even hang out with a lot of other athletes. I know you all were doing your race and kind of a different spot than everybody else was in, and so just what was the experience.
Speaker 4: Like, Yeah, yeah, it was really cool because I was in Tokyo as well, and that was just not quite the same. You know, my family couldn't be there and the fans, you know, and this year, yeah, we arrived in the in the village with my teammates and we did the whole USA team processing, right, So you're getting these bags of clothes and trying everything on and getting fitted and having the support from these amazing brands, and you know, you go to the meal hall and there's so many athletes, right, it's like the dream, right an that you're walking around it. Everybody's spit and and you know, the best at what they do and just so cool, right or they're you know, you've seen them on TV, and so that whole environment's just amazing, right, And yeah, pretty quickly we went and we locked into to our venue in Ellencourt, which was not inside the village, but honestly it was okay with me.
Speaker 5: I didn't need to sleep.
Speaker 4: On the cardboard beds every night and of the village mood. So we we locked into performance for sure, and that's also the best part of what we do. And my family was there, and then after the race, I yeah, I got to go to the Team USA house.
Speaker 5: I did this whole media tour.
Speaker 4: I did the the the Metal ceremony that that front that Paris did, which was incredible because I got to share it with the Olympic gold medalist who was from France in our event, so that was really special.
Speaker 5: And then yeah, I went out with my teammates and we saw.
Speaker 4: The beach volleyball event the next night under the Eiffel Tower, so that was super cool, and just checking out Paris, and then I went on vacation in Portugal with my family pretty quickly after. So I definitely got the experience that I'm super grateful for, and the medal was definitely the highlight for sure.
Speaker 2: It sounds like like probably the most amazing two weeks ever in your entire life.
Speaker 3: What you just described trip, that's amazing. I wanted to give a shout out to Arkansas. DJ is from Arkansas in.
Speaker 2: Fact, yeah, and we were just funny enough in Ventonville not that long ago and saw all the cyclists and wasn't putting two and two together that it's the home of the National mountain Bike team of USA cycling.
Speaker 5: Correct, Yeah, yeah, it is.
Speaker 4: They've supported us so much and as you saw, like the infrastructure there for cycling is next level. And I really believe that, like when a community invests in making a city like walkable and rideable and cycling friendly, like that is what every state needs, right kids can like bike to school and bike to bike to work. I think that's like the baseline of how biking is and it's obviously translating there and to to some more world's class trials and training facilities as well.
Speaker 1: So who can claim you? Who should claim you? Because everybody wants to claim you. Santa Cruz wants to claim you. Could you live there? Park City wants to claim you because you brought up there. Now Arkansas wants to claim you. Could you could train there? So which is it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, obviously you know, Park City is where I grew up, so it has a special place in my heart. But I think what's so cool about what I do is that I I mean, like, like I said, I'm in Girona part time of the year, and then I'm going to this crazy place and then this, and then I'm back in Santa Cruz. But then pretty quickly I go off to the East Coast to do more races. So I travel the world and I travel the really cool places and they've all made me the athlete that I am today. So home for me isn't a lot of really special places. So I feel really lucky to have the support of those communities as well. It's what makes it so special.
Speaker 1: Well, Haley, finally here, have you paid the fine?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we paid the fine as fast as we could. I do all agory about that.
Speaker 1: And it wasn't tie to the metal. It's not like they say we're going to withhold your metal until we get your money, right.
Speaker 4: No, No, it really like there was no way that the race dynamic would change based on that. It's really that, you know, I made a mistake. I shouldn't have done that, and to make sure those rules are followed to make the racing go. Like you know, there's a lot going on, like what we talked about racing, there's a lot of people, there's a lot of feeds, mechanicals. We need to make sure those feed zones don't have people just riding through them for fun or or you know, doing something that doesn't keep the keep the racing you know, running smoothly. So yeah, you know, I'll take the fine if that's what we need to keep our sport you know, running well.
Speaker 5: And yeah, next time I won't do it. That's pretty sure.
Speaker 3: Like, hey, how do you pay it? Electronically? Write of a personal check?
Speaker 5: Usa cycling did it for me. Honestly, I just want.
Speaker 1: To make sure you didn't have to come out of that money.
Speaker 2: And I know you're obviously there and you're you're still cycling and so races, but do you have are you already starting to think about twenty twenty eight?
Speaker 3: La?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: For sure?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean I think as athletes, the planning happens many years in advance, and for I think just the energy of seeing like Pauline, you know, win her own country. I was like, okay, you can have this one, but the night and then you know, the next one's mine. So yeah, I mean me and my coach are like, okay, like like I visualized winning this race, you know, I wanted to be an Olympic champion, silver medal. I feel like in a hundred ways I won that race in my mind, you know, Like and for me, I won the silver medal right, Like the way I race everything like was so amazing. But I also didn't have a great start. I flatted right, I missed.
Speaker 5: The feed zone.
Speaker 4: These are things like for me, these are all controllables of becoming excellent. And so every you know, after every race that I sit down and I write like, how can I be better? And I think you know that preparation starts, you know, when you're motivated and you care the most, And that's like right after the Olympic Games, right, So for sure, I'm using this to motivate me and my preparation moving forward.
Speaker 1: She got to do LA. I mean, can you imagine LA is so close to her home of Santa Cruz and her home of Park City.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I love it.
Speaker 3: Going for gold in twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 5: That's amazing, exactly right.
Speaker 2: That's congratulations, Haley, And thank you so much for taking some time out of your very very busy life right now to talk with us. Just so inspiring and we're so proud of you. Congratulations.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thanks so much for the good questions. It was good to talk through everything.
Speaker 1: No, thank you for the education. And you know what I meant to say this earlier. It's cool to see somebody as passionate about their sport as you are. You light up when you start talking about it, not talking about the silver metal necessarily, just talking about the sport itself. You clearly enjoy it and the technical parts of it. I know you noticed it earlier. She was bouncing off the seat when she started talking.
Speaker 3: It's beautiful to see that passion.
Speaker 5: Oh that's nice.
Speaker 3: So do you guys bike or what we run? My city bike?
Speaker 2: That's about I get to a bicycle. But yes, we've we've been running. But it's I'm just I'm always in awe of people who can do those types of endurance things that just take every single bit of of your energy and your effort and your mental the mental challenges that come along with endurance types of athletics is just remarkable to me.
Speaker 5: We know it from the running for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we're just loud of you and thirty minutes right, you're inspiring. I know so many, so many young folks out there who think if she can do what, I can do it. So thank you for sharing your story.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thank you, and good luck in your marathon. I hope you got thank you. Yeah,