Speaker 1: It's media podcast. Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer new Arth, and today we're joined by Jannis Poutellis, Brody Henderson, Randall Williams, Hillary byrne Alyssa Smith, and Colin Fapma. Colin, this is your first time on the show. Tell folks what you do here at Meat Eater.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm calling.
Speaker 3: I'm on the merchandising team, so I focus primarily on strategy and day to day efforts for the med Eater store, and then collaborate with our partners on special and unique products.
Speaker 1: In one of our only Iwegians here at Meat Eater. Do you know any other Iwegians at work here?
Speaker 2: What the hell is an iwe Yeah?
Speaker 1: I want to explain what an Nowegian is.
Speaker 4: I mean, if you're from Iowa, you're important, so that's what Nightwegien.
Speaker 5: Is now and you shoot bigger bucks.
Speaker 1: Iwegian would be a derogatory term that if you're from South Dakota, Nebraska, Minnesota, you'd refer to someone they would call themselves an Iowan, right, we call them Awegians.
Speaker 5: How do I go my whole life without hearing stuff like that.
Speaker 2: And what what.
Speaker 6: I mean is there?
Speaker 2: Is it come from anything like the words put together to make it derogatory. No, it's just colin.
Speaker 1: If I said Iwegian fish finder, do you know what that means?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 6: Clube?
Speaker 1: Okay, South Dakota we would because you guys like to come fish our waters a lot. We have significantly better Walleye waters and Dakota. And and if you saw somebody with binoculars, that's called an Iwegian fish finder. They see somebody catch a fish, pull up their binos. This isn't real obviously right, Probably somebody saw this happen once and from therefoth it was the Iwegian fish finder. But binoculars in a boat so you can see their color, see what depth they're at. Things like that are binoculars.
Speaker 5: Man, I always carry binoculars in the boat.
Speaker 1: Really do you use them for that reason?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, well what are you doing them?
Speaker 8: Then?
Speaker 5: Whatever you can see? You never know.
Speaker 2: We carry him in North Carolina to scan the horizon for birds.
Speaker 1: Well, now you know, I weegan fish fine, I was just looking at whales through mind.
Speaker 2: I feel like this is the first time meter trivia that you're not wearing a hat. You wear a hat so often that we don't, it's surprising. Is there a reason for that?
Speaker 6: Today?
Speaker 5: Recently, I just got a haircut. I say, you're looking for you. You get that beard trimmed when you got a haircut, I always do.
Speaker 1: I'm not very good at trimming my beard, so I pay somebody who does a much better job than but I'm capable. It looks like it.
Speaker 2: I have no idea, and I want to know how much does it cost to have someone else trim your beard.
Speaker 1: I don't know. It's like it's like a tack on. So I think if a haircut is like thirty bucks, it's like another fifteen or twenty for a beard trim. I don't remember for certain. I get my money's worth. O Yannie. I'll go like a home ont without shaving, and then let them just get in there and hack away. This is a ten round quiz show with questions for me Deater's four vertical which are hunting, fishing, conservation, and cooking, and there is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing and for the stat of the Week. This week, we're looking at the history of the perfect game. There have been three perfect games in Meat Eater Trivia. Those were Brody in episode three oh five, Brody in episode three point fifty five, and Steve in episode three ninety eight. In twenty twenty two, on average, there was a perfect game once every nineteen episodes. However, in twenty twenty three, we've had thirty episodes without a perfect game. Yet there have been some close calls. Five times this year a player has ended with nine correct answers, but we're still waiting for twenty twenty three's first perfect game.
Speaker 2: So we've only had, uh, we've played less than sixty Trivia games.
Speaker 1: Total. Yeah, well we've we've done thirty this year. We probably did twenty two.
Speaker 2: Well, there's one perfect game every nineteen games.
Speaker 1: It's a good question, Yanni. I feel like our numerical thing is up close to seventy or something like that, but I'm a little bit behind in stants, so I don't know for certain, but I think we're around like in sixty or seventy range for the amount of games that we've done. Now here's our zero percenter question of the Week, which tests how much knowledge players have retained from previous games. This question was from episode four to eighteen. The topic was hunting, and nobody got it right. Name three of the four animals with the most entries in the Boone and Crockett record book. Name three of the four. Go ahead. If you think you know them, shout them out.
Speaker 5: White tail, mule deer, elk, white tail pronghorn, horn, white tail, mule, deer, pronghorn.
Speaker 1: You're missing one elk, elk is not it? I remember black bear? Black bear would be next. The incorrect answers given were big horn, l American elk, and rocky mountain elk. Again, the four correct answers are white tail, black bear, mule deer, and pronghorn. Now we have some housekeeping to get to. In a previous game of trivia, we had a question about what takes the longest to decompose between a glass jar, plastic bottle, aluminum can, and leather shoe. The correct answer was glass jar, which takes about one million years to decompose. The other three materials take less than five thousand years to decompose. Now, cal seem to think this answer was subjective, though, and vehemently argued that plastic never decomposes, saying it just breaks down into microplastics. While it's true that plastic just gets smaller and smaller, it does eventually reach a size that can be broken down by bacteria. The bacterium Rhodococcus ruber, which is found worldwide, has been proven to eat and digest plastic. As recently as this year, scientists have observed the bacteria turning microplastics into CO two and other harmless substances. Now, Cal was supposed to be on this episode, and at this point I would have thrown it to him and I said, Cal, the floor is yours to continue arguing with this scientific fact. But Cal is not here, so we'll just have tragic silence.
Speaker 8: I would have really enjoyed it, because he felt quite strongly about that, very strongly. He really enjoyed his reaction to this.
Speaker 1: Spent multiple questions arguing about it. But we have it right here in front.
Speaker 5: Of us this episode.
Speaker 1: Now the Shelby and Expert Today's round is a three, so our winner should get six correct answers, and with that we're onto the game of trivia. Play the drop, Phil, Look, I need to know what I stand and win.
Speaker 7: Everything how's that just tend to win everything game on Suckers?
Speaker 1: Brody, that's your first time seeing Phil's light show.
Speaker 5: I kind of wish it was dark the whole time.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I did like it.
Speaker 2: So does would give the game show feeling all the whole time. Let's do it, Phil, Can we still see our faces?
Speaker 1: I don't would happened if we had the lighting like this? For example?
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm sure no one would complain about the.
Speaker 8: Be quite frustrated.
Speaker 1: Question one, the topic is cooking. Which of these liquids has the lowest boiling point? Is it fresh water in Denver, salt water in Denver, fresh water in Miami, or salt water in Miami. Again, which of these liquids has the lowest boiling point? Fresh water in Denver, salt water in Denver, fresh water in Miami, salt water in Miami. For this side of the room, the question is behind you want Phil's TV if you ever need to reference this, Phil, I saw you doing a lot of playing with this camera over here. What was going on?
Speaker 4: Oh, the aperture was just a little too open, So I Yanni had a little some glow on his sport and I'm trying to help you out yees.
Speaker 1: So it's all good. Now, it's all good, Yanni. Without an answer yet, Randall, do you think you have this one right?
Speaker 8: No, No, I don't. It's uh, it's a mystery.
Speaker 1: To me looking for the one with the lowest boiling point. Freshwater in Denver. Saltwater in Denver, fresh water in Miami, saltwater in Miami. Hillary, how do you feel about this question?
Speaker 2: I mean, probably wrong, but using logic.
Speaker 1: So Hillary came in sporting an enormous scar on her arm. Hillary, show that to the camera. God, really that is wicked familiar. Well, how did that happen?
Speaker 8: I like to ride my mountain Mike downhill and sometimes crash it.
Speaker 1: It's not humiliating because that's badass. And you didn't even wreck your bike. You said you stayed on both wheels.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I just kind of had to run in with a tree.
Speaker 1: Very impressive tree.
Speaker 8: A tree did that? They're vicious, those trees.
Speaker 2: They don't move.
Speaker 1: Does everybody have an answer? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brody saying fresh water in Denver, Yiannis saying saltwater in Miami, Randall saying fresh water in Denver. Colin saying salt water in Denver, Hillary saying Miami saltwater, Alyssa saying salt water in Denver.
Speaker 6: Someone's gonna get it right.
Speaker 1: The correct answer is fresh water in Denver. I think we had Randall and Brody at that one right. The boiling point of water will rise when you add salt and will lower when you gain elevation. That means freshwater in Denver has the lowest boiling point at two hundred and two degrees fahrenheit, and saltwater in Miami has the highest boiling point at two hundred and twelve point one degrees fahrenheit.
Speaker 5: Doesn't salt water lower freezing point two?
Speaker 1: That sounds right?
Speaker 6: I think it might.
Speaker 1: It will raise your boiling point temperature just slightly. So the correct answer with the lowest boiling point fresh water in Denver.
Speaker 2: Hillary and I were the wrongest.
Speaker 8: We were the wrongest.
Speaker 1: That's okay.
Speaker 5: See how hot the water is in Miami right now. It's almost one hundred degrees degree.
Speaker 2: Doesn't it already started? Then?
Speaker 1: Thinks? So question two the topic is hunting. This next great question comes to his VA Nicholas Clay. If you have a question you think is right for meat eat to trivia. You can send it to trivia at the medeater dot com. What white bird is featured on the federal duck stamp that expires in twenty twenty four? What white bird is featured on the federal duck stamp that expires in twenty twenty four. This stamp just came out a few weeks ago. Seems as though nobody knows this for certain. Just taking some guesses. What white bird is featured on the federal duck stamp that expires in twenty twenty four. Brody, have you bought your duck stamp yet?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: Night before?
Speaker 8: I think we're all just writing down white birds.
Speaker 1: Does everybody have an answered? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brody saying tundra swan. You're honest, saying snow goose. Randall's saying swan, Colin saying swan, Hillary saying snow goose, Alysa saying crane. The correct answer is tundra swan. I don't think we're going to give it to just the swan. Oh, it's not good enough. It could have been a trumpeter swan, could be a tundra swan. Oh, we didn't specify.
Speaker 5: Which one can you hunt. Both of them are just the tundr swan.
Speaker 1: You can definitely hunt the tundra swan. I don't know about a trumpet.
Speaker 2: I don't think the trumpeters are huntable.
Speaker 1: The only other time a tundra swan was featured on the Federal duck stamp was in nineteen sixty six. The winning painting was created by Joseph Hoptman, who is brothers with the winner of last year's contest. Joe also painted the trumpeter swan that won in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 8: I almost asked for clarification.
Speaker 1: I should have given it.
Speaker 5: I almost did too, but I didn't want to think then.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I was thinking tundra swan in my head, and then I was like, I don't want to get too particular about it. I'll just say swan. It's white.
Speaker 5: Usually i'll give credit to Spencer. He usually clarifies, yeah, well, it would have.
Speaker 1: I think it would have been like if you wrote down goose goose, would.
Speaker 8: Have not been no goose goose, and that is not the same at all.
Speaker 1: Question three, the topic is fishing. Merriam Webster defines this water body as quote a crescent shaped lake formed in the abandoned channel of a river's meander. Merriam Webster defines this water body as quote a crescent shaped lake formed in the abandoned channel of a rivers meander. Quick answers from Colin Randall, Giannis Brody, You boys all have this one right, Yeah, buddy, I hope so, Alyssa and Hillary not as certain. Is anything coming to mind?
Speaker 5: Fill that sticker on your back your computer monitor is very distracting.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm sorry, that's our that's our guy Keith at the First Light Flagship store in Hailey, Idaho.
Speaker 1: How did that become a sticker?
Speaker 4: Don't ask me. He handed it to me when I was walking out the door, and I thought it was a.
Speaker 1: Good sticker of himself.
Speaker 5: That's that's correct. Okay, that's great.
Speaker 8: That's the power moves right.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Are you gonna do a mullet? You're pretty hip, dude. Mullets are getting hip.
Speaker 1: Don't pull off a mullet.
Speaker 5: All the kids on my baseball team, my kids baseball team were rocking them this year. It's coming back, man, do you coach one?
Speaker 2: Was it ever in?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, in the eighties, man, for sure.
Speaker 2: But I thought I was only in with like a very small group of people. No, no, no, it was big time.
Speaker 8: Yeah. I mean my dad had one. Patrick Swayzee didn't He had a mullet ish Yeah. I feel like there are a lot of heart throbs.
Speaker 6: That had those count on his mullets.
Speaker 8: I think, I think, I think a mullet has become sort of this this caricature of itself.
Speaker 2: But like right, because now.
Speaker 8: I feel like, yeah, yeah, that's the thing is they're taking it to the extreme.
Speaker 1: Hi, how are we doing on this question?
Speaker 2: We're giving you time.
Speaker 1: Got an answer, Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brody saying Oxbow, Jannis saying Oxbow, Randall and Colin and Hillary saying ox Bow, Alissa saying brook. The correct answer is Oxbow Lake or for our Australian listeners, a billabong.
Speaker 8: I was I was gonna make a joke as to whether or not if it's a do you need to include the lake? But I didn't do that because I'm fine what happened on the previous question.
Speaker 1: The largest ox Bow lake in North America is Lake Sheiko, which is a jason into the Mississippi River in Arkansas. The lake was formed about seven hundred years ago when the river channel changed its course. Here's an aerial image of that five thousand acre lake, which you can see on this episode on YouTube.
Speaker 2: That's one of the coolest things about when you fly over the Alaskan Tundra. If you're near any rivers that those things are, you see a lot of them. I don't want to say dimond dozen, but yes, they're very evident, like, oh, look at that river changes courts.
Speaker 6: There's an oxbow lake.
Speaker 1: It's pretty cool and it's fun how recent they can show up, like things that are geologically seven hundred years old, like this entire five thousand acre lake that man had nothing to do with. It's a lot of fun. Question four the topic is woodsmanship. This next great question comes to is via Chase well Vart. If you have a question you think is right for Meat Eater Trivia, you can send it to trivia at the medeater dot com. This semi aquatic pit viper was responsible for the last fatal snake bite in Missouri and Louisiana. This semi aquatic pit viper was responsible for the last fatal snake bite in Missouri and Louisiana. Again, one side of the table is confident, the other side not so much. How do you feel about your answer, Yanni?
Speaker 2: I don't know if this thing is known as a pit viper, but you know, just picking like a deadly, poisonous snake from that part of the country.
Speaker 6: Can you ask that question? But I can't.
Speaker 1: I can't define a pit viper. It was responsible for the last fatal snake bite in Missouri and Louisiana.
Speaker 5: Man, I want to ask a question, do it?
Speaker 6: Brodie? I can't ask a question.
Speaker 5: Is it'll just give too much away?
Speaker 1: Randall? How do you feel about your answer?
Speaker 5: I feel pretty good.
Speaker 8: Going back and forth wondering whether these were snake bites that occurred in nature or during religious services. I remember that in a recent well, not in not a recent episode, but in a past episode, that quite a few of the snake bites in the South occur indoors.
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready that's at That could be a hot tip. I'm sticking with my answer, Hillary.
Speaker 1: Are you ready?
Speaker 8: I'm not, but my snake game is not very strong.
Speaker 2: Are you going with an outdoor your answers?
Speaker 1: We have Brody saying cotton mouth or water moccasin, yan is saying cotton mouth Randall saying water moccasin, Colin saying cotton mouth, Hillary's saying trickel, Melyssa saying copperhead. The correct answer is water moccasin or cotton mouth. The last fatal snake bite in Missouri happened in twenty fifteen, when a thirty seven year old man was bit by a cotton mouth while waiting in the James River. The last fatal snake bite in Louisiana happened in nineteen seventy one, when a twenty eight year old was struck while collecting reptiles. Some sources say the water moccasin is the only semi aquatic pit viper in the world. Has anybody in this room encountered when I have snakes? We're at down in.
Speaker 5: Texas with my buddy alvin Ado the what river is it? Colorado River down there?
Speaker 1: So you were in water when this happened.
Speaker 5: Something swam right up to the boat.
Speaker 1: Did it try to get in?
Speaker 5: They tried, they'll try to, like you gotta whack them with the paddle, and.
Speaker 1: So you did that really yeah? Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: We saw we were in these once in a python tried to crawl on the boat, swimming around the mangroves, whatever they got python our constrictors. I don't know which ones are down there.
Speaker 2: You've seen one, Yanni, Yeah, a couple on a cattle ranch in Florida this past spring we were turkey hunting.
Speaker 1: That was in water on dry land, dry land, close to a canal. I don't know what would be more scary. Probably in water.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they probably seem like they're quicker. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Three Actually, because one actually I didn't quite step on it. But then when we decided to go our separate ways, he's sort of he or she paralleled me for a while and it was giving me that feeling like I was gonna crawl on the boat with me.
Speaker 1: Question five. The topic gear. This firearm, which passed the ten million made mark in two thousand and nine, was declared America's pump gun by Field and Stream.
Speaker 6: Well and the number.
Speaker 1: The topic is gear. This firearm, which passed the ten million made mark in two thousand and nine, was declared America's pump gun by Field and Stream. Confident Brody and Randall and Jannie and Colin.
Speaker 2: I'm playing from behind, Bud. It's not looking good.
Speaker 1: And this is question five. We'll get a scoreboard update from Phil After this, Randall is definitely not still thinking about the tundra Swan.
Speaker 8: No, not at all. I've moved on. I've made peace with it.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe what's cool about the cotton Mouth I want to add is that the biggest one we saw was coiled up, and then their head is like right in the middle of the coil, and they spread their jaws wide open to almost like where it's a flat plane, and the whole inside is bright white and so very clearly. Well, no, I think that's when you're a vehicle. They're like, yeah, don't mess with me, but you can clearly see how they got their name.
Speaker 1: Hillary Alyssa, are you going to come up with an answer for this question?
Speaker 2: Unlikely?
Speaker 1: Bro? Do you think you have this one? Right? I better? Do you think you have this gun in your gun case?
Speaker 5: Not anymore?
Speaker 2: Okay, I want to do your regrets in my life. But I bought this gun as the first gun I ever bought myself from old man Dixon at his Dixon Sporting Goods. And uh, you know I don't have.
Speaker 1: The best person is you didn't even grow up near each other.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've twenty five years now.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, sorry, Yanni carry on.
Speaker 2: And anyways, Uh yeah, I sold that gun away and I kind of wish I still had a.
Speaker 5: Good Turkey guns.
Speaker 1: Randall, do you have one of these in your gun cabinet?
Speaker 8: If I'm getting this answer right, then I do indeed about you.
Speaker 1: Colin, Yeah, if I'm right, I don't think I do.
Speaker 5: Okay, it's surprising he doesn't know he does or doesn't. Well, I'm just.
Speaker 3: Saying I don't think I got I don't know if I got the question right.
Speaker 1: What if I did get right, I don't have the if you guys were confident your answer that it'd be four for four. Alyssa, Hillary, are you going to come up with an answer? I think we're going to turn over the boards. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brody saying Remington eight seventy Yiannis saying Remington eight seventy, Randall and Colin saying Remington eight seventy, Hillary, and Alyssa without an answer. The correct answer is the Remington eight seventy. Remington has been producing the eight seventy for over seventy years and still makes them today in their New York factory. Some say the name was created because the first version of the shotgun use materials that cost eight dollars and seventy cents. The eight to seventy made Phil borges Ley's list of the four waterfowl shotguns that have stood the test of time, which you can read on the medeater dot com fail. We're halfway through our game of trivia. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 4: We have Alyssa with zero points, Hillary with one, Jannis and Colin are tied up with three points apiece, Randall has four, and in first place with a perfect game is Brody Henderson with five points.
Speaker 2: Good job, Brody, a lot of game left, kil.
Speaker 8: Could you do a second update as if we had counted.
Speaker 4: And looks like Randall and Brody are tied up with five.
Speaker 1: He could litigate it out later. Maybe Brody is feeling generous.
Speaker 2: Remember when I had to feel generous? One time I was, and then I think it cost me the game.
Speaker 6: That ship's over.
Speaker 2: That was two times once. We once we accepted that in the in the in the communists, the communist, But there was another one where it was a question like this, and you benefited me give it to him.
Speaker 1: I said, sure, too generous, Ye, but he's learned his lesson.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: Question six. The topic is biology. This next great question comes to us via meat Eater's own Christine siwiki. If you have a question you think is right for meat Eater Trivia, you can send it to trivia at the medeater dot com. A baby Sandhill crane goes by this Ford letter name. Mmmm, a baby sand Hill crane this Ford letter name.
Speaker 6: I'm sticking with.
Speaker 1: Yanni is confidence. Has a lot of confidence. The rest of the room not so much. Hillary was looking for a scoreboard update for cal Cal has zero right now.
Speaker 8: Nicely played.
Speaker 7: That mean.
Speaker 1: Yanni and uh Colin and has not come up with an answer. Colin, do you think you have this one right?
Speaker 4: I think they have it right.
Speaker 8: Maybe part of it's right.
Speaker 1: As we learned on a recent episode, they passed through Nebraska heavily. I don't know about Iowa. I imagine they get into Iowa.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not too sure.
Speaker 2: This also was an Iowegian du They crane poach it.
Speaker 1: Probably.
Speaker 5: There's also a question that pro.
Speaker 1: Well. He had argued that the Platte River was also in Colorado, but it wasn't. There were qualifiers on the question, like you know this is where they put on a pound of weight. It's where twenty percent stop or something. Cow was not right. I also think it was the South Platte that's in Colorado, not actually the Platte.
Speaker 5: River, South Platte.
Speaker 1: Does everybody have an answer for the four letter name for a baby sand hill crane? Randall's looking to use his cheek.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 1: He disagrees with whatever Yanni's answer is.
Speaker 8: I'm just hoping that Yanni's answer is incorrect.
Speaker 1: Hillary, Alyssa, do you have an answer?
Speaker 5: No, Janni's jumped on it. He's gotta have it right.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Are you confident, Yanni?
Speaker 2: No, No, but somewhere way back in there, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Think we're going to turn over the boards. Go ahead and reveal your answers.
Speaker 2: We have baby.
Speaker 1: Yannis is saying fool, Randall saying rook, Colin saying bird, Alyssa and Hillary without an answer. Nobody got it. The correct answer is colt. Oh close, Yanni.
Speaker 2: In my head, I just thought, not a colt's older, so the baby's got to be the.
Speaker 1: Full sand Hill cranes share terminalogy with horses. The babies are called colts. Males are called roan's. Females are called mares, and groups are called a flock, siege, or herd. These labels were born out of observations that sandhill cranes gallop like horses. There goes, But I think that is that sex specific to a male. Maybe we're looking for colt.
Speaker 2: We got to watch the dance the other day at our house.
Speaker 6: Which was very, very cool.
Speaker 2: They're right at your place while they're in that meadow across the way.
Speaker 1: Question seven. The topic is cooking. What dish roughly translates to ranch style eggs in Spanish? What dish does not matter, Spelling does not matter. What dish roughly translates to ranch style eggs in Spanish. The Yanni it says that a fole is the term used for baby horses. Male fols are called colts and female fols are called phillies. I will now look for you to see if I don't think a fool is called a baby sand hill crane. But you had the right line of thinking. The question we're on though, is what dish roughly translates to ranch style eggs in Spanish?
Speaker 2: What does one get for the right line of thinking?
Speaker 8: Phil for a sense of self satisfaction. I can't tell if this is a trick question or not.
Speaker 1: I'm not seeing any results, Yanni for a baby Sandhill Crane.
Speaker 5: I'm not going to criticize this question until I.
Speaker 8: Know I got it right. I know I'm not either.
Speaker 1: Is everybody ready go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brody and Jannis and Randalls saying juevos Ranchero's Colin without an answer, Hillary and Alyssa saying huevos Rancho's. They got it. The correct answer was Huevos Ranchero's.
Speaker 5: Not one of your best questions.
Speaker 1: Now I can say that, well, it wasn't one hundred percent. We still had colin. Is that familiar? And you heard that?
Speaker 4: I mean I ordered that all the time, but I was not thinking that.
Speaker 8: You must have been up late working on the kids trivia and the regular trivia at the same time I got in your card switched around.
Speaker 1: This dish was created on the ranches and farmlands of central Mexico in the sixteenth century. A traditional version of Huevos Ranchero's features fried eggs on tortillas and topped with picode Gaio's, commonly served with refried beans, rice, guacamole, and charizo. Question eight, the topic is conservation. This is our listener question of the Week, which was won by Hayley Adams for sending this great question. Hayley is going to get a book signed by Steve. This hallucinogenic cactus that's native to the southwestern United States has been classified as a vulnerable species since twenty third teen. This hallucinogenic cactus that's been that's native to the I'm gonna start that over. This hallucinogenic cactus that's native to the southwestern United States has been classified as a vulnerable species since twenty thirteen. Confident Randall Jannis Brody, Janni, you got this one right, got good, guess Brody had the confidence of someone who intimately knows this cactus. Brody, you have this one.
Speaker 5: No, but there's something else I'll tell you about.
Speaker 1: Okay, does this side of the table have answers? I have one, Melissa Colin, are you going to come up with one? I don't think I didn't even think of one name of.
Speaker 8: A last time I was on there was a cactus question, and I don't know cactus to worrow?
Speaker 1: What what if that's the answer. It could be it's everybody ready.
Speaker 2: There's a name of a cactus for you.
Speaker 6: We just gave.
Speaker 1: You go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brody saying Paoti, Giannis and Randall's saying payoti, Colin without an answer, Hillary's saying A gave, Alyssa is saying A gave. The correct answer is peyote.
Speaker 3: You REALI that was the only thing I kept thinking of, Spencer.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, what do you got for us?
Speaker 5: Whenever I hear that word, I think of the movie Young Guns. Remember that scene in Young Guns, I do not throw me in They get all stoned on Paoti and it's one of the greatest movies ever.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 1: I think of Fear and Loathing where they take pot peyote, and maybe even Hunter S. Thompson was on Peyoti when he created that. I don't remember.
Speaker 5: For certain, Young Guns is better than that movie.
Speaker 1: Payote is a small button shaped cactus that produces yellow, pink, and white flowers. The psychoactive plant has been used by humans for at least five thousand years and still serves an important role in the Native American church, which is sometimes called the peyote religion. Besides giving visions. Peyote is said to heal scorpion stings, fevers, toothaches, and joint pain. Phil we have two questions left. Where does the leader board stand?
Speaker 4: Well, I think I know Colin, Hillary, Alyssa, and yes, Ryan Callahan have been eliminated from the game, but we've got Giannis with five points, Randall was six, and still in first place is Brody Henderson with seven points.
Speaker 1: Question nine, the topic is fishing. This brand, whose logo shows a bird with a trout in its talents, claims to sell the only fishing hook that's made in America. This brand, whose logo shows a bird with a trout in its talons, claims to sell the only fishing hook that's made in America?
Speaker 8: Is that right?
Speaker 1: That's what they say. I couldn't verify it on my own, but I imagine that they wouldn't say that if it wasn't true. Giannis, Randall, Brody think they have it right? Colin, are you confident your answer?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: About you? Hillary?
Speaker 6: Are you an angler?
Speaker 5: Do you angle?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I try to Dakota to fish.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I usually just stick to trolling with like a cooler bush light fantastic.
Speaker 1: This brand whose logo is a bird with a trout in its talons, claims to sell the only fishing hook that's made in America. MM, it's everybody ready, Melissa Hillary.
Speaker 3: I don't know anything about hi.
Speaker 1: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brody saying eagle Claw, Yannis saying eagle Claw, Randall saying eg Claw. Colin sang American eagle Hillary without an answer, Elica without an answer. The correct answer was eagle Claw.
Speaker 8: Knew it was eagle something.
Speaker 1: The brand was born after its founder, Drew McGill encountered a bird of prey while fishing in the nineteen twenties. Getting a good view of its talents made him rethink the shape of a fishing hook and thus create the eagle Claw Company. Eagle Claw now owns other brands like Laser Sharp, Trocar, Wright and McGill and Chappelle Phil. We have one question left. Give us a final leaderboard update.
Speaker 4: Brody and Randall. Brody's got eight, Randall's got seven points.
Speaker 1: Question ten. The topic is hunting. Which of the six New England states has the highest population of white tailed deer? We would need Brody to get this wrong and Randall to get this right to go to overtime.
Speaker 2: You're not gonna tell us what the six England states are.
Speaker 1: For you to figure out, Yanni, which of the six New England states has the highest population of white tailed deer? Hillary, I think you're the only New Englander in the room to give you an advantage. Don't don't help out some of our competitors.
Speaker 2: That gives us a tip one of the New England states that.
Speaker 5: I've already I've said too much.
Speaker 1: Now, where are you from? Hillary, Hillary? It's your choice. You can tell them or you can't tell them to you.
Speaker 2: I think you should guess.
Speaker 1: That's all my answers are, Randel, How do you feel about your answer?
Speaker 8: You know, I feel okay about it. My initial plan was to just write Tundraswan and then.
Speaker 6: Flip it over.
Speaker 8: But I thought this question was like open ended enough, but I had a chance of tying Brody on it.
Speaker 1: I see Brody making a list of states. I think he's trying to can't see his bored and I think he's trying to figure out what these six are. Then he's going to go from there.
Speaker 8: I'm glad you specified six.
Speaker 1: Felt important specify that. I'm sorry, Randall no, I should have I should have said the analogy, the like if you know the answer extremely torn, but you think the answer is bass, you need to say largemouth bass.
Speaker 8: I thought about asking for clarification, but I thought I'll just ride it out. I'll just ride it out. I mean, a swan's a swan, right, swans a swan? And which of these six days told me that the highest population of white tailed deer?
Speaker 2: Just remember, Randall, swans a swan.
Speaker 8: You're you know, You're only as good as your word. And the swan's a swan.
Speaker 1: Brody, how do you feel about your answer?
Speaker 6: I don't have one yet.
Speaker 5: I'm torn between two states.
Speaker 1: So I googled if you can hunt trumpeter swans and this is what it says. This is from the Montana FWP website. It is also legal to hunt both tundraus swans and trumpeter swans in the Central Flyway part of the state. I think that means Randall that we are still not going to accept just swan.
Speaker 8: But if you're gonna shoot a tundra swan or a trumpeter swan, what do you shoot it with?
Speaker 1: I'm not sure what you're getting at here.
Speaker 8: You shoot it with a swan tag.
Speaker 1: Is that true?
Speaker 8: I don't know it is a swan tag. You apply for swantag in the Central Flyway or the Pacific Flyway.
Speaker 1: Brody, how are we doing with your answer over here? Oh?
Speaker 5: How much time you got?
Speaker 8: I feel like I got some momentum. You did, you did, But Spencer's chair just and slowly away from the table.
Speaker 5: I can't.
Speaker 1: I can't argue with you now. Is that true?
Speaker 5: It is true? It is true.
Speaker 8: Last year I last year I had said swan tag and I really wanted to shoot one, but I just never never pulled it off.
Speaker 1: Brody, are you still litigating out? Which? Okay? I think we're only waiting on you right now? All right, you read I.
Speaker 5: Do not want to tie with Randall. Oh I want to tie with Brody so badly.
Speaker 1: Your answers we have Brody saying Maine he crossed out New York, Giannis saying New Jerseys said New York, Randall's saying Maine, Colin saying Maine, Hillary saying Maine. Alyssa saying Massachusetts. We have a correct answer in the room. It's Maine, making Brody.
Speaker 2: Why need you guys to do stacks? I feel all, I hear about how Maine's got very few deer.
Speaker 1: Maine has the most deer in New England at two hundred ninety thousand. That's followed by Vermont at one hundred thirty three thousand, Connecticut at one hundred one thousand, New Hampshire at one hundred thousand, Massachusetts at ninety five thousand, and Rhode Island at eighteen thousand. Maine actually has more deer than New Hampshire, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island combined. So I think if you were going by size Yannie, that's probably how well.
Speaker 2: I honestly don't know. I always say this, I don't know my Eastern Seaboard geography because I wrote down two states that aren't to New England states.
Speaker 1: That is part of the fun of the question. Brody wins with nine correct answers. He's not going to give Randall the the ninth point to force the tie bread fine.
Speaker 8: I don't want it.
Speaker 1: I thought I made that clear out right, Brody, waere is the five hundred dollars donation from me Deeter going to go.
Speaker 5: On the crayfish book tour. I met someone from Outdoor Buddies, which is a group that organizes camping and fishing, hunting trips for kids and vets. So we're going to send it to outdoor buddies.
Speaker 1: What part of the tour did you learn about that?
Speaker 6: Look like, where were we?
Speaker 5: I think it was Denver?
Speaker 1: How much feedback did you get on these Steve Brody rivalry?
Speaker 5: Constant?
Speaker 1: Constant? Did seem like there were more Steve fans or Brody fans out there?
Speaker 8: You know you're not gonna make a man.
Speaker 5: You can come to your.
Speaker 1: Maybe there's more like it's not even you're a fan of one of them, you're more anti the other, because it seems like that sentiment gets shared as much.
Speaker 5: Big big fan.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean Especier, Who are you a bigger fan of?
Speaker 1: Everybody's partial conservation always wins a true professional. Now, next episode is going to be hosted by Yannis, So come back next week the first ever game of met Eater Trivia hosted by somebody else, and I'm gonna play.
Speaker 4: Hey everyone, fill here with a quick amendment, The trivia episode hosted by Yannis will actually be airing in two weeks, so not next week, but two weeks from when this episode drops, so look forward to that should be fun.
Speaker 1: Yanni. Are you excited, Yes, nervous, I'm nervous, said Spencer's playing.
Speaker 5: I'm not nervous about you host ing.
Speaker 2: I think you should be trivia a lot. Let me. I can tell you that since I've had to start thinking about trivia, the questions start to come, which is just interesting. Or maybe you're just sort of open to the universe bringing you those questions. But it took me a more time than I thought it would to write up a script for a game of trivia. So now ivery excited to you that you put a lot of effort into this.
Speaker 1: Thank you. You're gonna do great. Here's how I know you're gonna do great. Phil said he liked your questions. Oh yeah, Phil has a good barometer on this stuff, and he said it's a good batch of questions. It's gonna be fun.
Speaker 5: Did you pick all the questions or you curate? And I'm like Spencer over.
Speaker 6: Here, I.
Speaker 2: Took well, yeah, I didn't come up with all of them. No, I definitely was, you know, just out and about and then i'd hear something, i'd snag it or I grabbed one from the inbox.
Speaker 8: I'm just looking forward to seeing your if you if you follow Spencer's model of the voice inflection and your intonation and the cadence and welcome to me to Eater Trivia. This that's what I'm looking for the most.
Speaker 6: I gotta come back with my radio voice.
Speaker 8: Start with your voice exercises.
Speaker 2: That was what this episode is for, for me to warm up my voice.
Speaker 1: Coming next week. Join us next time for more meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins.