Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center. Jack Armstrong, Joe Getty, Armstrong and Getty and He Armstrong and Yetty.
Speaker 2: We are live at Sutter Hell Park for opening day of A's baseball. They take on the Cubs tonight.
Speaker 3: First pitch, seven oh five.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at the American flag.
Speaker 3: It looks like we've got a light wind blown out to left center where it is four oh three.
Speaker 4: The wall.
Speaker 1: Tell me about the short porch again, you.
Speaker 3: Got a short Do we have a short porch?
Speaker 2: That sounds very what's the number on the right hand side, so the left it's four twelve out there in the left field three eighty there. How do they come up with that?
Speaker 1: What do you mean? How far to make it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because every stadium is different. Do you sit around discuss let's have a like a really short right field. That'd be kind of fun prices, No, I wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Perhaps we can discuss that with Ken Corrik, the A's play by play announcer. Ken. First of all, welcome, it's great to talk to you. How are you. Thanks, guys, it's great to be with you. So you have one of the hardest jobs in the world to get every major league ballpark, you've got, you know, eighteen guys starting on the field, you got four to six umps, depending on you know, whether it's the playoffs or whatever. You have one play by play guy for the home team and one for the away team. And I'm looking at your your resume. You've been busting your butt a long time to get this gig, haven't you.
Speaker 5: Well, thanks, I appreciate it, and I've been very fortunate, believe me, to do this. I never thought i'd have one day in the big leagues, let alone thirty four. So it's you know, it doesn't get old, that's for sure. I think tonight looking out on the field, when the players get introduced, they come out on the baselines. I mean, I buy into all those traditions of opening days. So I've had a charmed career, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: What do you think the experience will be?
Speaker 2: That's different from you know, your normal sized major league ballpark, which is like forty fifty thousand, compared to playing here at Cutter Health, which.
Speaker 3: Is more like nineteen thousand. That's that's completely.
Speaker 5: Actually, it's a lot less than that. It's more like fourteen, even with the lawn steely, so it is it is less Yeah.
Speaker 1: So wow. I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't know exactly. I think we're into a certain degree. We're venturing into the great unknown here. But I think there's gonna be a lot of energy at the ballpark. I know it'll be packed, and I think the weather's going to break and it'll be fine for the first pitch at seven oh five. And I think once the game starts, it's still baseball. It's still ninety feet to first base, it's still sixty feet six inches from home plate to the pitcher's mound. But it is certainly a much more intimate atmosphere than what we're used to at a big league ballpark. I think it's going to be fun.
Speaker 1: Well, and Ken is a guy who's been going to major league games in minor league games, and heck, I stop and watch highst I love baseball so much, having been to many Rivercats games in this very stadium. The feeling of you are part of the game, and you you just you're involved, you want to cheer, you want to shout. It's not like you know you're a mile away, you're flipping through your phone it just isn't that way here. I'm thinking it might be really energizing for the players. I hope the region turns out and supports the athletics, and you know, I'd love to see that synergy going where the fans and players feed off each other. I think there's a good chance of it. I'm excited about it. Yeah, I think you're right.
Speaker 5: I think you will see and I think the players are looking forward to that, and I know they feel they've been welcomed very warmly here. Many of our guys have been to at least a couple of Kings games so far. The Kings have been very gracious with that. So I think you're right. I think there will be that intimate feel. It's a little bit like a spring training setup, although the games will be a lot more intense. So yeah, games don't mean anything. I mean, this is the real thing out here tonight.
Speaker 2: Well, we've been talking to We're on what is it, seventy stations across the country and been saying, hey, wherever you live, if you got a favorite team and they're playing the A's, fly out here to watch the game, because I'm looking at the worst seat might be that one right.
Speaker 3: There, and it's still a great seat.
Speaker 5: You'd be thrilling advance, right, get your tickets in advance because they're going quickly. I can tell you that.
Speaker 2: Here's my number one question is so A stands for athletic. You got an elephant from mascot?
Speaker 3: What gives?
Speaker 5: Well, that's it goes back to almost the beginning of the American League, which was in nineteen oh one. The A's were a charter member of the American League, and the A's were considered because of the way they played and the great players they had on their team early in the twentieth century that they were considered kind of a white elephant, And so I think that's where the whole elephant thing came from.
Speaker 1: That's a good story. Yeah. So, Ken Cork, the A's player by play announcer, is on the lines his thirtieth season with the A's, which is just really really amazing. Ken. I know, like all baseball fans, you're a fan of great play by play guys through the years. Can I hit you with a couple of names and just give us your impression, your take as a pro Would you do that? Absolutely?
Speaker 5: Let's start up my alley there, man, Yeah, let's start with Vin Scully. Well, Vin Scully is on a pedestal. He stands above everyone else. We're all kind of imitators. When anyone compares one of us to Vin Scully. I grew up listening to him, so I grew up in La So he's set the standard for us. One of the great thrills of my life was getting to know him. So I think he is considered by far the god when it comes to baseball play by play, by pretty much every one of us in the business. I would say it's unanimous in terms of how we all feel about Vin.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I probably shouldn't have started with the Chuck Berry of rock and roll asking about so where else you can go? You can't go any higher than that. As a Chicago guy, I gotta ask you Ken. How about Harry Carey.
Speaker 5: Well, it's a very interesting story with Harry and I spent four years working part time for the White Sox, so when Harry was working for the Cubs, and Harry was one of the great entertainers in the history of the game. And one thing that people don't realize about Harry, because I guess you could say that he was a bit of a caricature.
Speaker 1: In his final years.
Speaker 5: He was a very good play by play guy in his days with the Cardinals, so he was very solid, fundamentally great entertaining. Nobody sold baseball and nobody sold as much beer as Harry. And the other thing I need to mention you guys are probably aware of this, but Chris Carey is part of our broadcast team on radio and television again this year. And Chris is Harry's not grandson, he is his great grandson. So we have ties in Ara's family. And it's interesting that the Cubs, of course will be here tonight with the tide to Harry.
Speaker 1: And you know, just as in a side can. I grew up in Chicagoland, as I said, and I was a big Cubs fan, but my dad and I would watch Socks games because Harry Carey and Jimmy Piersoll were so incredibly entertaining together. They really they were like David Letterman was to late night TV in that they threw aside some of the traditions and conventions of it and would just talk about the game more like fans didn't. We found that really refreshing back in the day.
Speaker 5: Jimmy Pearsow was one of the all time baseball characters, and it was a pretty good player in his own right. Yeah, but Harry would broadcast from the bleachers that really at Kimiski Park, Right, It wasn't it wasn't a shock when you would see Harry doing the games out there with his shirt off, broadcasting their games and shorts on a nice summer day out there at park had thirty fifth.
Speaker 1: In shields down there, right, can I'll give you a thousand bucks to do that, five thousand.
Speaker 5: That's the site that nobody wants to see.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm a casual baseball fan. Are there any new rules this year I need to know about? I heard I'm talking about golden the bat or various clocks and various anything I need to know?
Speaker 1: Second?
Speaker 5: This year, no, as a couple of new rules that are very esoteric. So on, the game is pretty much the same. The big change happened a couple of years ago with the pitch clock, and that really has changed the game for the.
Speaker 2: Better or the worst in your opinion. I know it made the game shorter, so you think it was a good idea.
Speaker 5: I think it's better, I really do. I think fans like it. I think the tempo of the game has gotten better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would agree. As a fan. I love it partly because I think it's going to save the game in this fast paced time we live in. And I've talked to both players and umpires in particular, who are just you can keep your energy up so much better everybody and and fans. There's not interminable time between pitches. You start looking at your phone, you lose it.
Speaker 2: No, you're on the edge of your See, Derek Jeter didn't need to loosen up every single padding thing he had on his body every single pitch and tighten it back up again.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: It helps the broadcasters during those fourteen to two games too.
Speaker 1: I'll bet I bet Ken one more question, at least for me? How did the A's look in spring training? How do you feel about the team for twenty twenty five. I think they're improved.
Speaker 5: I certainly believe that, and they're embracing higher expectations. We just flew back from Seattle last night and they split the four game series against the Mariners, a team that has the best starting rotation in the American League. They could have won all four games. Every game was a great game in the as.
Speaker 1: They have a lot of power. They've been seven home runs.
Speaker 5: Tyler Sodism, who's from down in Turlock, by the way, one time is number one pick, had three homers up there. So I think they have a better ball club and if things break right in the second half of the season, they could be in contention.
Speaker 1: For a wild card.
Speaker 5: Oh and there's no great prognosticator, but I'm enthused about their club.
Speaker 1: And there's no better story in sports and especially baseball, about an overachieving, smaller market team, maybe a lower payroll that goes out there and whoops, a little butt can't wait for it. Ken Correck, the legendary a's played by play announcer Ken. Great to talk to you. I hope we can do it again. That'd be a lot of fun. Thanks you guys, Thanks for having me our pleasure.
Speaker 2: So we're out at the ballpark. It's raining, yes, So they just spent all this time working on the field announce raining. They got to be thinking, we have to do this again and we cover it back up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what they're mowing right now. I'll bet they drag that tarp out in a hurry. Depending on the forecast. Is. You know, not to go all meteorologists on you, but there are breaks in the clouds. I have a feeling this is a brief squall.
Speaker 2: He gave one of the best answers there. I'm gonna remember that forever for a variety of things. Yes, so he's the announcer. You said, how's the team.
Speaker 4: Going to be?
Speaker 3: He can't say, oh, suck. I don't have any idea what they're gonna be like. But he's never gonna say that no matter what.
Speaker 1: Right right.
Speaker 2: I like him saying they're embracing expectations, higher expectation. That's what I'm gonna say about us from now on. How you feel about things? I'm embracing higher expectations.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, improved, definitely. How was the show today, honey? My wife asked me usually if she didn't listen. Uh, definitely improved.
Speaker 2: We're embracing higher expectations.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, you know, with all due respect to Dodgers fans, you know it's a storied franchise. If you grew up, watch and listen to whatever that's good.
Speaker 2: For you, buy the championship.
Speaker 1: Be true to your school. At the same time, though, I remember when the Kings had their their great playoff runs and all to be the winning underdog is.
Speaker 3: The sweetest thing in sport. It's the best thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just really rooting for that.
Speaker 2: It's raining pretty good right now, Yes it is, yeah, Yes, pretty good rain right there. And you can't I could use the most last couple of weeks, you haven't been able to go by the weather forecast because I've I don't know how many times my phone has been saying zero percent chance of rain. Is the rain? We're down on my head?
Speaker 1: Here you go here? He goes about the meteorologist liars.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, I was going to go there. I just I don't know what it's going to be like all day long. I hope it clears off. Anyway, we got more on the way. Hey, you got any question about any of this? Because we're out at the ballpark, we could answer for it.
Speaker 3: I've been trying to hot dog.
Speaker 1: Oh jeesez he's loud.
Speaker 2: I'm hoping there's a hot dog somewhere I can eat before before we leave here. Man, five o'clock somewhere more on the way stay here is touring out here at Sutterhill Park. That's where we are for opening day of the A's in Sacramento.
Speaker 1: The tarp is back on the infield.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 1: It's a brief band of showers. I've consulted the radar. We should be fine for tonight's festivities.
Speaker 2: I hope you're right.
Speaker 1: It's fun talking to Ken Corrick. You know, I'd failed to do the math to his thirty fourth year in the major leagues doing play by play, and his first gig was in the minor leagues in nineteen eighty four. He's got some years under him. He sounds fantastic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you brought up the fact that he's got, you know, one of the hardest jobs to get in all of announcing. That's true. I've known some hell in America. I've known a few people that have those jobs and nobody ever leaves them. So not only they are only how many baseball teams are there, maybe you know Hunton thirty two something like that, So there are thirty two of those jobs in the country, right, and most people keep them for decades, right, So there's like one opening per decade.
Speaker 1: Well, and it's somewhat like our gig, although there are more jobs like this than there are that in that it's a really cool thing to do for a living, and if you're successful at it, you make pretty good money. And so there are hundreds of thousands of people who want that gig and are working hard to get it all the time. So yeah, I can't even imagine. There are, you know, thousands of guys who probably probably we're about as good as Ken back in the day, who he either out talented or out worked or outlasted. Yeah, so you know, I kind of admire a guy who's gone through the grind like that.
Speaker 2: So this is where the river Cats play. I assume you know that I have not been to a Rivercats game in years. I'm ashamed to say. Ah, I think the last time I was here when we were riding around in the cart shooting the hot dog cannon. Oh really, how many years ago was that?
Speaker 1: Oh forever? Yeah, yeah, we were.
Speaker 2: Shooting the T shirt cannon at people and the hot dog gan, which is really fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I used to bring my son Judy, and I went to a head full of games. I used to bring my son back when he lived here. Now and again, it's our hours, you know, you start a game at seven o five and we got to be up at four o'clock in the morning anyway. But yeah, it's going to be back. It's gonna be super exciting to have the A's here. I hope it all works out. I hope they have a good season because I think, you know, the regional embrace him like crazy. But who knows.
Speaker 2: And somebody just told me that on stub Hub there they bought a ticket for tonight. So they sent me a picture of what what's the seat like? It looked like for you'r And I sent him a picture what's it look like for more sitting because we're up in the broadcast booth. They bought a seat right underneath this. Oh just now. But they said the stub Hub ticket was one hundred and forty seven dollars to park the park. The ticket to get in one that bad. One hundred and forty seven to park.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: I said for the season. They said, no, just for tonight, so they're going to try to figure some other way to park.
Speaker 3: So I have no idea what the parking situation is going to.
Speaker 1: Be, Like, yeah, wow, I'm blown away by that. I'm used to getting screwed at certain NFL franchises.
Speaker 2: Games park far away and it's your chance to explore West Sac.
Speaker 1: Yes, you meet some interesting new people.
Speaker 2: Exactly, make a friend, exactly. Hi, tell me about your life. I want you to give me your phone in your wallet. It's like no, no, no, we'll get to the robbing me. I want to know about your life. It's like the Norm MacDonald joke. A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet. Unless they have candy, then they're probably a pedophile.
Speaker 1: Oh come on now, West Sac. It's a beautiful place to live. Working shop Jack, come to us. Sure a baseball game. I have a close ro cool lives in a beautiful neighborhood in West Sex.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah yeah. Cool view from here though. We're looking at the bridge, the bridge that raises up for the boats to go on it Ice Street bridge you call that, I guess, uh Tower bridge, Tower bridge, Okay, And you can see the buildings and everything like that. Cool view from here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So come on out. Support to your local team for three years.
Speaker 2: I hope it stops pouring. Three years, the A's are going to be playing here.
Speaker 1: You man.
Speaker 2: It's going to kind of start to feel like it's our team by then, isn't it with our team?
Speaker 1: Why are you're taking our team away. It's gonna be a bit of a band aid being ripped. Yeah, feeling I think it.
Speaker 2: Uh, we got more on the way. Is the rain lighting up? I don't think so.
Speaker 1: It will. It will have faith, armstrong and getdy.
Speaker 2: We're out of the old Ballpark Center Health for the opening of the A's tonight and we're out here already and it's pouring rain.
Speaker 3: But it's supposed to stop and clear off and it'll be fine tonight. But so that's take Me Out to the ball Game? Want you to hear this.
Speaker 2: This is the first known recording of take Me Out to the ball Game.
Speaker 3: Oh really, from nineteen oh eight. Here we go listen take Me up to the Ball Game?
Speaker 4: And record.
Speaker 1: Went bait.
Speaker 2: Okay, So there were verses oh wow, and they ended up just using the course that caught off.
Speaker 1: I'd listen to the whole thing. How long is it?
Speaker 3: I don't know. It's like it's like dark sided movement.
Speaker 1: It's like it's oh, it's concept album.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 2: What I thought was interesting that neither of the two dudes who had written that had ever been to a baseball game. They didn't know what they were doing. They just threw it together. This songwriters and it says Saron Wikipedia, it's comment at ballparks, a throw in your team's name. Oh wait a minute, seat of home team now. But it made me think of this biography of Babe Ruth that I read over the Christmas break because I wanted to read something that had nothing to do with.
Speaker 3: Any of the stuff we talk about.
Speaker 1: So just a quick aside that that was like the hip music, that style at the time. That was the people were so dumb back then, that was my point. That's right, ben.
Speaker 2: AnyWho, So so I did some research to figure out what is the best biography of Babe Ruth ever written? And I figured that out and I listened to it and really damned interesting story. None of us have ever seen We have no idea what Babe Ruth really looked like. We certainly don't know what he looked like playing. There's no video of it. There's not even really any pictures of him when he was in a prime So there's like one picture ever of when he was like twenty years old or even twenty five.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, yeah, so none of us have seen Babe Ruth.
Speaker 3: We've only seen the old fat man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's kind of what we picture, but that's not what he looked like during the heyday of like fifteen years of his prime.
Speaker 1: Right, It's like if you'd only seen pictures of Elvis posts nineteen seventy three, that.
Speaker 3: Is exactly right. Yeah, that is exactly right.
Speaker 1: Sod be like, what was the big deal?
Speaker 2: So they have to explain on what a just a giant, strapping fit man he was. And he grew up in an orphanage horribly rough life. I mean just dad was a drunk and mom was horrible, and dad drank himself to death and all these different things. He grew up in an orphanage and they spent a lot of time killing time playing the version of baseball that was hot there. And he just dominated orphanage baseball. And so they got him into some rec leagues and they'd take him around and play, and he was so dominant in these rec leagues that people would come out to watch him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he would.
Speaker 3: Pitch and hit, so he would be the dominant pitcher.
Speaker 2: Nobody could hit him. And then he'd go up to the plate and hit a home run, which nobody hit home runs at the time, nobody even tried it. Wasn't a strategy, so they didn't have fences. They didn't even really have a leg for it. That wasn't it'd be like if all of a sudden, you know, playing pool.
Speaker 3: It was the point was to be to shoot the cue ball off the table.
Speaker 1: So I've done that.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well we're gonna have to change the rules and rethink this, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Because everybody they swung down on the ball to try to get it into play, and then you'd run around, and it was all the strategy of the game until he came along, and then he swung up and headed as far as he could and every single play. So he becomes popular in these rec leagues. People got a word of him. Scouts came to watch him, and he signed with the Red Sox I think when he's like seventeen, and they were mostly interested in his pitching. But he did pitching end hitting, and he refused to do one of the because he liked doing both so much. But he would do both in lots of games, like Shoeyotani does. Now, what do cyber metrics say about us pitching and hitting back in the twenties, And he was just so dominant at both there's never been as great as show. Heyotani. As you know, the playing field is more leveled now because there's so many talented players. There weren't that many talented players where there really weren't any practically other than him, So he just was so dominant on both ends. It was like a circus freak performance, right. So when he would go around to different towns, everybody would come out to watch, and they would put markers out and it was usually like they started putting in fences later, but they didn't even really have fences. You were just playing in a field and the ball would stop rolling at some point and then they'd put a stick in the ground and say, this is how far bab Ruth d it. And he had the right now at every park that there was because nobody had ever even tried to do it.
Speaker 3: Before, and he hit the ball so far as really quite entertaining.
Speaker 1: Wow, that is really cool. Yeah, I'd known that there weren't fences in the early days, but yeah, that's funny. I don't know about Hanson behind us here, our executive producer also played baseball and coaches, but yeah, they always taught us hit down, hit you don't want to swing up on it. Oh no, opercot blah blah blah. And now they've done all the physics experiments at all, and Babe Ruth had it right. Swing up. Interesting, You get the right rate of spin on the ball and the rest of it to get out another All the guys have opercuts.
Speaker 2: Now, I remember hearing a least the home run Tommy, let's sort of say it's very simple. You swing down.
Speaker 1: That is probably true. Swinging for the fences, yeah, because the home run is just so much of a part of the game now, which I'm not a big fan of, you know, the other just to get a little baseball y on you. As I watched this crew of what is that like a dozen people working meticulously manicuring the field, I've always wondered what it's like to play on a field this great, because we'd show up for high school games and the first thing you did as an infielder, you'd walk out there and look around and think, oh God, I am going to catch a ball in the teeth. Are the testicles one guaranteed today because they're rutted and rocky and crappy, and look it sounds.
Speaker 2: So smooth, which would you prefer.
Speaker 1: It's tough to choose, really tough to choose.
Speaker 2: I like chewing.
Speaker 1: I do like chewing. You can get a tooth replaced more quickly or easily than a test Nobody can see testicle damage, right, and and generally, if you double over clutching at your yards, I mean, that's a different look than holding your hand up to your bleeding mouth. It's just a different thing. So I don't know that's a good question, Jack various player of player.
Speaker 2: Another.
Speaker 3: I like this one. Now you got the window open.
Speaker 2: Now got natural sound here from the ballpark. This is what it sounds like here.
Speaker 1: You can't tell players that program. We'll close the window again.
Speaker 3: Evidently, got you.
Speaker 2: They're starting to set up the concession stands and stuff like that. But still I have yet to see a hot dog, and I want to have a hot dog. No, they're not.
Speaker 1: They don't serve hot dogs out of stands to the workers.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I've had a lot of hot dogs that tasted to me like they've been full. Boy. Yeah, that's not the freshest hundred percent of beef hot dogs.
Speaker 1: I do you remember when it was I took Declan to a forty nine Ers game for a Christmas present, and it was a getting back to work weekend, and it took four and a half hours to get to Candlestick, and uh, and we missed the first half except for the last play of the first and I said, all right, that's all right, son, I said, well, let's get a hot dog. And I wolf down a hot dog and I was all stressed out and it gave me an upset stomach. And I talked about it on Monday during the show, and the good folks at Alpine Meets heard that segment and were.
Speaker 2: Horrified by it. Oh and I do remember.
Speaker 1: That, And and to punish me for that, they sent me cases of Alpine meats that were so good, Oh my god, hot links and the foot longs and brats and stuff like that is absolutely fantastic. And I am going to guard a gorge on the ballpark food tonight. I'm gonna eat a fair amount.
Speaker 2: So Sweitch to talk topic briefly, because we've gotten a lot of texts on this. What I should say, Oh yeah to crazy weirdo progressive hippie nut jobs who get angry because I drive a Tesla, Because I've seen a lot of these videos. We played one early. Can you grab that one? Michael?
Speaker 1: You know what?
Speaker 2: My one is a shame shame clip. This is some guy in a cyber truck who drove by one of the anti Tesla rallies over the weekend. All right, So if you sort of stuff that, I just decided how you you should handle that. We have some different ideas. I suggested maybe going with some sort of I care about climate change to try to out progressive them, see how they do it. A number of people suggested I say, I say them trans right off the bat. Somebody says, up the ant he sorry, I'd love to chat with you about this, but I'm.
Speaker 3: Running late to meet my pastor at Chick fil a.
Speaker 1: I like that one.
Speaker 3: Put a Biden Harris sticker on the back. That's not a bad.
Speaker 1: Oh wait a minute, I'd confuse them. Yeah, how about what do they call it when you you talk your kid out of being gay? What's that called again? Instead of meeting my pastor at chick fil a, you say, hey, I got to get my son to gay conversion.
Speaker 3: Oh god, that's horrible.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm just trying to be you know, trying to inflame people.
Speaker 2: I think I actually need to have a set line to go with.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying, have a line ready, because you might get flustered in the moment or get really pissed off or whatever. It might be good to have.
Speaker 3: Well, the flustering part will be am I about to be in a fight?
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, because some some some lesbian can scream up bums at me all day long.
Speaker 3: Yes, I want no if I'm actually gonna get.
Speaker 1: Well right, I don't think physical prowess and screeching like a lunatic at Tesla's don't not not on mass. I mean there might be some overlap. It's like when I said nobody owns an electric car. You were off that day, and I was right and raving about there's nobody owns an electric car who can lift one hundred pounds over their head. And we and we did. We did get a couple of calls or whatever it was, or emails from from guys, but it was just that's a handful of guys who said, yeah, dude, I was in Special Forces and all, I just think it's cool technology. So yeah, there are a few out there, but I think mostly it's gonna be angry. Senior citizen you know Granola's now you get it from both ends from some people. Some guy rolled coal on me over the weekend. I was driving my Tesla. He's in a big Diesel truck and tried to smoke me out his head my windows down.
Speaker 2: I think I assume he was a truck guy that hates electric cars as opposed.
Speaker 3: To the hippies who hate elon.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, that's an odd look for a hippie talk about, you know, very small overlaps. But no, that's probably it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't look. I own just a gas hog of a super powered suv. Okay, But I don't care what your fuel source is. I don't care if you've got a nuclear reactor under the hood, or it's electric or hydrogen. I just I don't don't care at all. And I don't quite get people or that into it. I mean, nobody's making anybody do anything much anymore. There are subsidies and stuff like that. I just I don't get that as a hill to fight somebody.
Speaker 2: I don't get angry about what other people drive war or listen to. But I guess that puts me in a minority. No, I might not want to listen to what you listen to, or wear.
Speaker 3: What you wear.
Speaker 2: But I don't care what you do. It makes I certainly couldn't get mad about it. Yeah, I just it's so hard for me to get in that headspace.
Speaker 1: The closest I come to that is there is a model of car that if you get behind it, you're behind a bad driver one percent of the time. Let me try to guess one hundred percent of the time. And special Forces guys, you can write all the emails you want. You are no exception. If you're driving one of these, you're a terrible track. But I probably shouldn't say it. Why not because they might like sponsor stations or at all. I can't.
Speaker 3: You're not knocking the car, You're knocking the drivers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, No, you gotta say it's not a great car.
Speaker 2: Everybody wants to know.
Speaker 1: It's a very small car made by a very big auto company based in Japan. I will leave it there.
Speaker 2: Why would people who drive a Toyota Echo or whatever it is not that? But why would they be worst drivers? On average?
Speaker 1: Then? I don't know why. I've just observed that it's true science. I will exactly. I will leave it to wiser men than me. You've more gifted in the ways of science.
Speaker 2: You've done the research, You've connected the dots.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's one hundred percent correlation. You are driving too slow, you're in the left lane. You don't use your signal, you clog up traffic.
Speaker 3: Is there a certain is there a certain nationality that tends to drive this car?
Speaker 2: Is nothing to do with it.
Speaker 1: No, it's it's Wienie hood, which knows no national boundaries. Only weenies drive that car.
Speaker 2: Okay, we got more from the Oh yeah, we open the windows again so you can hear the bull horn.
Speaker 3: We're in the pronouncer. Oh man, new Organ's gone around.
Speaker 4: It's fine.
Speaker 3: There's a little kid over there a way after him. He's happy. He's having a good time. Eat an ice cream cone.
Speaker 1: Oh look at they just got chocolate all over his fast How there's the window clothes?
Speaker 3: More on away next.
Speaker 4: Armstrong Andy.
Speaker 1: West.
Speaker 2: Virginia has become the first state to ban artificial food dies, which should make food healthier for the baby you had with your cousin. New Yorker's making incest jokes about the South, not cool, inappropriate, not digging it, not inaccurate, but inappropriate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we didn't say it was inaccurate.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: We are alive at Sutter Health. If we decided we'd come out here, somebody decided for us.
Speaker 1: In the parking at the hospital, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: The baseball park where the A's will be playing for the next three years.
Speaker 3: That's a long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It reminds me of the plot of like a weeper movie that my wife would enjoy, but I wouldn't so much. If I'm going to be here for three years and I care about you so much, but I've got to leave at the end of three years. And then the three years comes and everybody cries a bunch and stuff like that. Well, that's a joy. It Well it lasts, though, Jack, That's the lesson here. Wow.
Speaker 2: So for the people that work for the team, did a lot of them get rid of their homes or apartments in Oakland and move to Sacramento with the idea that in three years will be moving again or did most people quit and you get all new people owner it's not.
Speaker 1: A horrible commute depending, No, I could. I could picture a lot of those people living in Fairfield or stuff like that, you know, places like that.
Speaker 2: And when they go to a city. Did they hire all new people or did the I don't know, if they give you the option.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably. What what is the total personnel count of a Major League Baseball I don't know.
Speaker 2: We're looking at what a wonder the rebosas have any nine?
Speaker 5: Ten?
Speaker 1: What is that? Ten?
Speaker 2: Groundskeeper people down there with the with squeegee squeegering water off the tarp. Are all those people making full time like raise of family salaries? Is that a part time job? I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Or all the people around here and now most of these people work for the stadium. Probably we're seeing around here, yeah, yeah, no matter who's here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember when, for instance, I can't answer the full time part time question, but I remember when Major League Baseball made the terrible decision which I have harshly criticized, to move Was it the All Star Game out of Atlanta? Yeah? After Brian Kempton legislature made perfectly reasonable adjustments to voting. No, it wasn't. After COVID J How that? How that costs so many good, hardworking people so much money?
Speaker 4: Strong, Strong, You're ready.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here's your host from the ballpark for final thoughts, Joe Getty.
Speaker 1: Let's get a final thought from everybody on the crew to wrap up the show. There he is Michael Angelow in the control room. Michael final thought.
Speaker 2: I think you guys got to be the first people to run across the field.
Speaker 1: Uh for the new season, you know, for the athletics.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna strip down on the street. It's a small park. You can probably get on TV.
Speaker 1: So much of homiting Katie Green are esteemed to use woman as a final thought.
Speaker 2: Katie Jack, did you decide on a personalized plate or said Cyberbeast.
Speaker 3: I haven't yet.
Speaker 2: I do like the idea of doge, but I feel like at some point I'm provoking.
Speaker 1: I'm just looking for a fight. Well, you've already gone pretty far down that road. Commit completely.
Speaker 4: Jack.
Speaker 1: A final thought.
Speaker 2: I have a feeling I'll be out here on a handful of times, definitely for home games. To be able to see major League Baseball this close to my house, in a stadium this small, that's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: My final thought. Having watched everything all at once, Everywhere You Go or whatever that movie is about parallel universes for the second time, if I could go to a parallel universe, it'd be the one where I became a baseball announcer. Oh cool, because I've always wanted to do that. Love the game so much.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Getty rabit aboutnother grueling four hour workday.
Speaker 1: So many people, thanks so little time. Go to Armstrong in getdy dot com for the hot links, for the swag, pick up an AMNG sweatsher for goodness sake, Let's keep everybody on the crew and drop some note something we ought to be talking about. Send us the link mail bag at armstrong in Getty dot com.
Speaker 2: I haven't decided if I'm coming tonight or not, but man, I'm wanting a hot dog? Is that going to be the determining factor? See you tomorrow? God bless America.
Speaker 1: I'm Strong and Getty is the biggest posies game of all time. It's a huge disaster, but nobody's ever done anything about it. No, No, that's not what I was told. And we do not have to live like this. In fact, we cannot live like this. I'm ganna call my lawyer.
Speaker 4: Garnjie Dantea's screaming stop.
Speaker 1: It it is over. It is over, and when it's over, it is over. It is over. Bye Bye, Armstrong and Getty