Speaker 1: Socks on thirty fifth is next.
Speaker 2: Doors open on the left.
Speaker 1: How's it going, everybody? This is your host, Duke Coffin. Welcome to the Socks on thirty fifth podcast. We are back with another exciting episode covering yours Chicago White Sox. On this midweek edition, I'm joined by my good friend Jordan Zowski. Nick is currently flying a mile high somewhere. No, actually, and yeah, Jordan, how are we doing? Buddy? You texted me some pretty high maintenance stuff before after this game today.
Speaker 2: To be clear real fast though, Nick is not flying the plane. He is just on a plane somewhere. But also, we're trying this two person version. I'm interested to see how you and I control ourselves without a mediator in between us and Nick. So we'll see how this episode goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean Mike at Old Spicy who knows. We'll see. And yes, Nick Ower is not a pilot. I'm glad that my good friend Jordan Lezowski cleared that up for the audience listening at home. But yeah, no, I probably could have framed that a little bit better. But uh, yeah, I mean, it's nice to win a series against Baltimore. Baltimore is like the they were like the darling child of the rebuilding baseball world there for the last couple of years. Matt Holliday sun plays for him. So that's cool, you know.
Speaker 2: I actually thought that was crazy today when I was thinking about just the series in general, Like, yes, I still have many thoughts about how today's game went, but like, this is a team that not too long ago everyone was like, oh, yeah, they're they're the up and comers. Yeah yeah, And just you talk about another team that just didn't finish off a rebuild the right way, man, the the Orioles certainly qualify as one of those, because it has not been very good for them this season and you partially see why with some of their pitching woes the past few games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's that's been the name of the game, like their whole rebuild, you know, And it's it's a shame because you have Ad the Rochman, who's probably like one of the best like young catchers in the game. Fairly impressive work as far as uh challenging pitches as well throughout this series, and I'm sure his numbers back that up as well. He got a really good one on Ben Attendee today and then you have Gunnar Henderson who's like a could perennial be a perennial MVP candidate once he hits his prime and he hasn't even hit his prime yet, so that's kind of crazy. But yeah, I mean you see, you see what all the discussion was about Baltimore heading in heading into the last couple of seasons. But it seems like every time they should have gotten aggressive, they never did. But we will cover a little bit of that as we get into this episode. Before we get started, be sure to subscribe to the podcast in Apple, Spotify, YouTube, and anywhere else to your podcast. I'll sure to check out the website socks on thirty fifth dot com as I was following us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram at sax on thirty fifth. Now this is a part to live audience where I get a little bit closer to my mic so everyone can hear me, especially as Jordan Zowski tries to talk over me. So won the series against Baltimore. Can't complain crazy to think that we would be saying this like a year ago. I can't complain we want a series. I mean, spee, you know, we were on the road, but like you know, we want a series. No, I mean overall, White Socks are doing what they've been doing most of this entire season. A lot of excitement still in this lineup, and we saw it over the course of the first two days. Bats went a little bit quiet quiet on Wednesday, but kind of the big story of this game was the return of Noah Schultz, which is something we've kind of eagerly been waiting for and seeing what version of Noah Schultz we were going to get. You know, just first reactions, Jordan, what do you think of Noah Schultz here to start, just to just to come back and hopefully build some confidence. Yeah, I don't know where I'm going with this. Just jump in, Jordan.
Speaker 2: No, I think Schultz I've been critical at times. I think we've talked about that before. Right before he got hurt, I was like, I don't know, I'm not seeing it yet. This was the most intrigued I've been, and I guess confident i've been after one of his starts. It was nice to see the change up used a little bit more. I felt like he was going to it like consistently a little bit. You know, it was Hey, if it didn't work, one pitch or he was going to it within the next couple of pitches. I mean, he only threw ten, so it's kind of crazy for me to be that happy about it. But that's that's a positive step forward for me. What I didn't like on the flip side was he threw the sweeper the most of all of his pitches, but he threw it mostly to right handers, which I don't personally understand especially and maybe this is probably why when you walked four hitters and three of them were to lefties, that can't happen right like that, they you he got himself in trouble because three of his four were walksward to lefties. That that fifth inning start, that issue started with a Jackson Holiday walk and Jackson Holiday's not hitting well in his own right, so you absolutely can't do it to the eight and nine hitters. Overall, thought it was positive. I liked the cutter being featured a little bit more too, But the big positive for me was the change up and that you need some sort of swing and mispitch or or something for rightyes to think about that's moving away from them, which is at the same time why I hated that forty percent of the pitches he threw to lo To Wrighty's were sweepers like that. That still doesn't jive fully with me, but it was a step in the right direction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you you have you have to really have a good breaking pitch, especially something that breaks towards the batter, to be able to pull it off as a really I guess left you're righty against the opposite side. I mean, it's not like Chris Sale with the slider, where he could throw it to literally anybody standing in the box, regardless of what side you're standing on. I would not put Noah Schultz's sweeper in that category. It's not even necessarily a pitch that I've totally fallen in love with yet, and I think me and you can both agree on that. And especially a pitch that can really kind of hang before it starts to drop going towards a right handed batter is not you definitely hold your breath breath sometimes when you kind of see it come out of the hand. But what I will give him credit for because it was something that we discussed at length anytime we brought up Noah Schultz when he was on the roster, and even when he after he got injured, kind of discussing what is put away pitch was gonna be against the right hand batters, and he kind of gave us a full schmortgage board of that. He it's obvious that it's not one pitch yet, but I really did enjoy what I saw from his change up down in a way to right handers. He's doing it, doing a lot better of a job placing that pitch. It's not necessarily just you know, just barely brush in the corner anything like that. It's still a little low, but I mean that keeps him out of trouble. It's not necessarily gonna help with his with his walk right, and it's you know, as we saw as we saw on Wednesday with you know, four walks, but it's a pitch that that is something he should kind of start to focus on a little bit, like if he's not gonna just kind of you know, star from scratch and you know, in Duke's hardest of hearts, you know, gets splitter like I would just love him to do. I think that change up is a really nice, uh, a really nice pitch, and there's a lot of pictures that can use a good change up that just drops a little bit or has a little bit of an angle on it, and when he when he's placing it well, when it's not getting too high in the zone, I think it's a very ample put away pitch.
Speaker 2: But with how many right I was gonna say, what's interesting about it too? Though? Is he kind of you can you can tell it's not a natural pitch yet, which is why I think, to your point, he's got to keep using it more and finding ways, right, Like, I know, we continue to balance this whole winning versus development concept throughout this year, and I think we'll continue to battle it. But you'd see he'd cut a few he'd missed a tongue glove side, so it's like, all right, he's not not fully there yet. But I think to your point, and I think you were getting right into it as well, it's like you're gonna teams are gonna stack righties against you, so you better be ready to combat that somehow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, and that that changeup absolutely cannot rise facing righties like that is just a it's method for disaster. And yeah, no, it's it's still scattered. I'm sure when the pitching chart comes out I don't have it in front of me. Typically that's a baseball savant, you know, early morning thing that I'll look at when I start my work day. But it's something like that's the short term fix for me right now to kind of solve that issue. And I don't hate what he did with his cutter as kind of something to change the eye level, which is something that you know, when you aren't in a position to just develop a new pitch on the fly. You know, this isn't MLB the show. We can't just do that by you know, putting stacking so many experience put in a pitch we want to have. It actually worked pretty effectively. You know the fact that he got through you know, four and a third seven strikeouts shows that he had enough put away stuff. His fourth inning was dominant. If you didn't watch the game today, I would highly recommend at least going back and watching the fourth inning. And this is me talking to the folks home. I know Las, I know Laz watched the entire game. I got the full feedback after it. But that is is that fourth inning of Noah Schultz is the confidence you want to see in a young picture like this, to where if you're going to make mistakes. You're at least attacking the batter and you're making them have to chase against you. Plus, you know seeing Kobe Mayo, for so many obvious reasons, strike out and get angry about it, which is so fantastic. It's actually a gif I'm going to make at some point.
Speaker 2: One thing that's interesting about that too, though, is it was the same thing I used to say, and I it's funny to hear me being so critical same thing I used to say about Dylan ceases far. I'm like, did you watch that inning? Though I know in totality it probably didn't look like what you wanted, But did you watch that inning? It's like, that's what you're looking at as a neutral observer. Usually there's why they continue to put him out there and stuff like that. The one thing I will say about Schultz today, and it kind of gets into probably some of the negativity I have regarding today. I don't know why he and maybe he will be moving forward. I don't know why he isn't a candidate for an opener. I think he has not shown an ability to go deep in games, and I think the White Sox have enough guys or may soon have enough guys to cover those early innings to where they very clearly did not watch Schultz facing the top of the order a third time. Every time they've done that with a player this year, there's been an opener. So I'm confused why that hasn't been a thing yet because I think that kind of screw umtay. That's not just Schultz's fault, right, They've only really stretched him out to eighty pitches, so he was at his limit anyway. I don't know that was the flip side of it for me. For as good as it was, it was still almost like that cease like outing of oh my god, we're only in the fifth inning and we got to cover fifteen out somehow at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like it, you know, as you bring up cease, I always think of the classic Road on example or early in his career too, because it was kind of the same story. I don't hate the idea of an opener for Schultz, and this is spoken to someone who doesn't not fully in love with openers in the first place, because they can be used as training wheels a bit too long for guys who should not need one. But I think it would work really well for him. It would help him build a little bit of confidence against a weaker part of the order. Instead of just facing top top four guys right off the bat, you'd be able to have a strong inning from somebody as an opener, have him, you know, get get some rhythm in before he has to face the strong part of the order. And I feel like that's what a lot of openers are used for in baseball, is to kind of get that tough part of the batting order through. I don't hate that idea, and I think, I guess, I guess if I could if I get kind of tied up with the bow. As far as what I saw from Schultz today, I saw improvement. I saw confidence, And with a pitcher who you know, has had early struggles, that's always kind of one of the top things you have to really look for is when a guy is struggling, there's no doubt about it, but he's continuing to battle. And that's something that you know, we need to continue to see moving forward, and we need to see that with any young pictures we have coming up here, because we've all seen the shell shocked pitcher and you know, even our boy Dylan Cees early on he did have a little bit of the shell shocked when he would pitch, when he wouldn't pitch well. But I mean, dude, look at Dylan Ce's now like one of the most confident pitchers on the mound. When he's rolling, and even when he's not, he's met he's mad at himself more than anyone can possibly mad at him. So that's the direction I want to see us move. And overall, it's it's a shame because Noah really did pitch well through the fourth inning, ran into trouble, and you know, I don't want to excuse him by starting to point the blame at the bullpen and how well they did. But you have to put your bullpen in a better, better position in than that. Brian Hudson was given a tall task to just kind of jump into, especially being asked to give to uh, get two outs in that situation, and you just have to you have to understand what your bullpen is as a starting pitcher for the White Sox.
Speaker 2: I also think, and I don't know this was me, like I took a nap today to like kind of nap. See if I changed afterwards and I'm still very absurd, bit like this is this gonna simmer me down or not? But I'm like, one thing that really frush. I have no idea. I think it was a poorly managed game. I've been or well and again, I don't want to be one of these people that's like, oh my god, this guy Sky's falling because he had a poorly managed game or whatever. I think he poorly managed a game, right, Like, that's not the point We've all spoken Venimal's praises on this podcast. But you have a day like today where you have a very similar guy in Noah Schultz, and then you bring in Brian Hudson and they're basically the same picture in a lot of respects. Like Brian Hudson is because him fastball only for whatever reason, did not have a great June and has reverse splits, so lefties hit him way better than righty's. The first batter he was facing was a lefty, and then once that left he got a hit, you put yourself in a no win situation and then you your splits didn't kind of didn't even matter today because the Orioles basically saw the same picture for the first two times through the order. Yeah, Schultz is a little bit more variety. But if you're seeing a kind of sidewinding fastball and that's all you're seeing, I think that was poorly managed. He should not have been the first guy out of the bullpen. If the option was either him or Richard, I still probably would have gone Richard, as crazy as that is, just to mix it up a little bit. I just that that That was one of two things that really bothered me today was how he managed what was still a very close part. It was one to one at that point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you have to have a serious I mean, I'll touch on that point, like the overall point, but just the Trevor Richard point. How long if we're gonna like be serious about being contending baseball team, or we're gonna have a Trevor Richards in the bullpen.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the roster churn we talked about, like why we saw with Tyler Davis. So there's still some ability to do it. You're gonna have to continue to churn and if like, there's got to be a better option. Even if these I get it, it's the fifth inning. It's not the best time to be trying to use a high leverage guy. But I feel like there's still gotta be something else they could have tried today, right, Like, even if it was like, hey, it was either Hudson or Richards, I still would have gone Richards, just to mix up the looks a little bit. Like at the end of the day, it wasn't a good situation to bring a lefty side armor in at that point.
Speaker 1: I don't know, No, I think I think you're spot on. Honestly, I don't know if you notice me, like look up at a certain point when you were doing your last point. But I just thought of the Sir Anthony Domingus vortex that we just continue to find ourselves in, and how much it drives me nuts. And this is not a defense, Sir Anthony Domingus, but it's knowing what you have and knowing splits. It's that simple. And I want to pull my hair out every time I see Sir Anthony Domingus go in to a ballgame, whether it's fifth inning, whether it's the seventh inning, whether it's the eighth inning, whether it's the ninth inning, and there's two left handers that he has to face that weren't pinch hit they're just there. And it's at no point in his career was he good against left handed batting. You always had to protect him from left hand batting, and that's why he was never closer.
Speaker 2: But and it's it's such a weird thing too though. It's like, and I didn't look up like Henderson's splits. I'm sure henderson splits. Splits are probably worse against lefties, but you have to weigh it on both sides, Like what's more important to you is it that your your pitcher has reverse splits or that you know Henderson maybe couldn't hit lefties as well. Again, I'm saying that because that's in my head. I haven't looked up Henderson's split, but I'm assuming that was the logic behind it. I don't know. I tend to err on the side of you got one guy throwing pitches, like a flat ninety one is still a flat ninety one. I don't care if Henderson has never gotten a hit off a left in his life, right, Like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, and you end up going to Jordan Hicks later in the game, who is far from an ideal pick anyway, But I understand like having to pitch him today, And I understand why the Socks are giving him an extended look because he does have disgusting stuff. When he can keep it in the zone and you know, keep it in the ballpark, you know, why not give that different look? You know, I think you kind of nailed it at the top of this point with Noah Schultz and Brian Hudson are too similar. And if you're going for a change of pace, especially against the guy like Gunner Henderson, why not toss the guy out there that throws gas and stuff that moves from you know, the right you know, from a right handed arm angle. Sure, Gunner hand. I don't even need to look at the splits to understand that Gunner Henderson kills right handed pitching. But he's getting to the point where he's good enough for he's gonna hit. You know, He's not someone you ever leave out of the lineup because there's a lefty on the mound. He's gonna be in the lineup every single day, and he's going to be an all star caliber shortstop and batter every single day. So like I almost wonder, you know, And I'm not a major league manager, so I can't say like that. I know, better than say, well, Venable, I would just like to I would like to see, like what what the process is in the process of elimination of who who he should and shouldn't bring in on a particular situation, and like what gauges that decision, because that's what I end up really kind of losing my mind about too. I didn't get to watch the Baltimore game live. I got to watch it after the fact once I got home from work. But so many games that I watched from the White Sex. And this is from a dedicated like I'm a Will Venable guy. I something about it. You know, the cut of his jib. That's the one thing that is really getting hard to ignore. It's something that I thought I was nitpicking at first, but it feels like it's continuing to be a pressing issue here.
Speaker 2: Jeorde right, Like again, it's I don't want it to be like, oh my god, why didn't they put Grant Taylor And why didn't they put in Sir Anthony Mingus Like I I that's an unreasonable asking the fifth inning. But if your two options were kind of Richard's or Hudson, you got to change it up a little bit, right, Like I don't know. That's that's a frustration for me. Anderson hasn't said well this year. But he's slightly better against lefties too, like for his career, way better against righty's. But do you care about the season? Do you care about the career?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: None of it jobs. Even when I saw him come in, I'm like, I don't know if I'd be doing that. It felt like, you know, Schultz was cruising and then it was like an oh shit, he's not cruising anymore. Who can get up and ready fastest? And that was the result, And I don't love that. Again, it's one game they won the series. Is it might? Is it micro analyzing this? Probably? But at the same time, you're going to get to a point in the season where these games are gonna matter. Hopefully you're getting to a point where this in the season where the games matter, or even if it's not this season, it will be a season for Venable, Like you got to be able to figure this out, right, Like you can't even if it is just an oh shit moment. You have to have enough information be like, I don't know, at least change a pace a little bit, especially when the splits are the way they were for Hudson specifically Well.
Speaker 1: And Jordan, it's becoming too often to be just being a shit moment. It's becoming a bit of a trend. And I mean, I feel like, no matter how good this team ends up doing, you can't just sit here and ignore a trend like that. And I don't think this is necessarily negative of venable at all. I feel like it's something that you have to have an honest conversation with as you get down the line, because you know, like you said, dude, that's gonna be the one thing that's going to burn you down the line. It's kind of similar to like think with like Great Council when he started messing around with his bullpens when he was in Milwaukee early on. It was awesome, everyone loved it. Then you see what happens in the playoffs when you tink you with your bullpen too much and you don't have arms at the end of it, or you pull a starter who is doing very well and then trying to save him for a potential game that might not even be played because you pulled him too early, and your bullpen's dead tired because they've been pitching good sixty percent of your ball games, and that's where the Chicago Cubs are left with now. But it's it's situation you have to pay attention to because it confester and it can become an issue.
Speaker 2: It just didn't. It didn't presents like that. I think I mentioned on Sun at You there was an article that came out recently about how why they bunch so much and why they use abs so often, like almost an insanely aggressive amount, and it was kind of like, hey, we're trying to get like you can't take them home with you basically, and we're trying to be aggressive about it. Nothing about the way he handled that situation jived with what he's kind of said of like, hey, we need to be aggressed, We need to treat every situation as it's important. That was that kind of felt like he got caught off guard, and you contrast that with the bunting that happened today. I think I'm trying to figure out the rationale behind a fifth inning bunt leading the game to move a runner from first to second. I'm trying to figure out the rationale behind that for those who maybe like are are new to our show or kind of my way of thinking. There's things called run expectancies. I'm not gonna bore you with the details, but you are basically less likely to score a run when you move a runner from first to second via bunt. So now you have instead of man at first no outs, man it second one out. That is, man a second one out is a lower probability situation of scoring a run than man at first no outs. And this is over years and years worth of data. And this is not the seventh inning. You're playing for an insurance run. Even there, I'm like, all right, but I kind of get it. This is the fifth inning of a ball game. But if you want to play with that sense of urgency as a manager, like hey, every run we can get counts, then it should work on the other side, where hey, every run we give up matters. It was a tie game. You were caught off guard with your starting pitcher who was around eighty pitches going into the inning, and your option was a guy who has reverse splits and has basically the same arm angle as the pitcher who started the game, and your low leverage guy. Once he gave up a couple runs, nothing about the way he managed.
Speaker 1: That game.
Speaker 2: Was aligned with kind of what he's been saying previously. The bunting thing is driving me nuts. He is asking guys to bunt into unoptimal situations early in games, and that is beyond frustrating to me. You're winning a game and you're giving up an out? Why sty you see what the you see what the Orioles did. The Orioles just kept hitting and hitting once they walked Henderson, or excuse me, once they walked Holiday. You didn't see Alexander come up and bunt. No, he took an O two pitch and singled, Like that's what modern offenses do in the fifth inning of a ballgame, in the eighth or the ninth. Fine, I get it, and I don't totally get it, but I kind of get it right Like, but in the fifth inning of a game, you're winning and acune has been hitting better too, Like you haven't been on for us to give you your flowers about Acunya's recent hot streak, Like you can't do it like you do that in that situation. He's not the buck forty hitter right now either. Nothing about today's situations made sense to me, And that's right where the game flipped was in that fifth inning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I'm I'm very much believer in And this is this is where I disagree with you lads in the sense of just bunting as a whole. I do think there is scenarios where bunting, bunting works. Bunting is something that can get you from point A to point B faster. Uh. That was like one of the big aspects of ozziebel Osie ball. I really enjoyed. But Ozzie got away with that because he had skop Posenic leading off, who could get on the first base and steal second before anybody had to put a bunt down. That's not the situation they're running in.
Speaker 2: That's the big part of it. And then Venable tried to correct his mistake by having acunea steel and then he got thrown out stealing seconds. It's like you just gave up two runs in that inning or two outs in that inning. Like the most valuable thing you have in baseball are your outs. To just kick them aside, it's mind numbing to me. And again, bunting is at its highest level got in years at this point that they put out an article recently. Bunting is at its highest level in years. But it's a lot of squeezes, and it's a lot of bunts for hits. And you look at the teams that bunt a ton Tampa Bay, Milwaukee White Sox, Okay, all first place teams. The other six teams that do it a lot. Arizona twelve and a half games back, Cincinnati last place, Saint Louis third place, Colorado last place, Boston last place, Kansas City last place. So it's not a viable way to build an offense, especially one that has had this hit the second most home runs in baseball this year. It just doesn't make sense, even if, yes, the game is trending back towards bunt and fine, like I have since very much softened on my never bunt take, Like there is a time and place the fifth inning, no outs run around first with a bottomier order up. That's just not doing it for me. Drew Romo was on deck and everyone wants to get rid of him, like that's your next titter. It just nothing about the situation made sense to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Drew Romo did not have a fantastic game defense.
Speaker 2: Let's set it up and think he's gonna get a base hit, like the guy's here because he has better defense than Caro and can run the ball out of the ballpark bunting a runner to second. You're looking for a guy who can hit with runner of the scoring position, right, he's got a buck ninety buck forty maybe bad average, Like you need a base hit in that situation. That's not the guy who's gonna get one to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's His entire job title is placeholder until Edgar Carroll like learned how to hit and Charlotte and comes back. Because that's the thing is defense isn't even like worth like worth that type of like spot, you know what I mean? Because I thought I thought he could tag it home plate. That's me being a little nitpicky, But I did not think he He kind of positioned himself in front of them or in front of the plate's legal, you know what I'm saying. He didn't. He didn't position himself well with Braiden's throw from right field. I thought Braiden should have gotten an out on that play. Couldn't tell you what ending it was from. I really rushed you this game, guys, but I just I've seen enough Drew.
Speaker 2: I was probably that hell ish fifth inning where everything went wrong.
Speaker 1: It was actually yes, it was.
Speaker 2: You talk about how and people are like, what does it matter a fifth inning bunt? Why you can playing about a fifth inning?
Speaker 1: Bnth, No.
Speaker 2: Change the game was the fifth inning. They gave up two outs in the top of the fifth, gave away the game in the bottom, put in Trevor Richards, and that was the end of the ball game. Like you play nine innings, but the fifth inning decided everything. You know.
Speaker 1: LEAs. My entire argument for this bunt being in the fifth inning, which I already just really did not like in the fucking first place, especially considering how good all all the people involved are hitting, is why do you not steal a kuna first? Why in the world would you make him run from first and then.
Speaker 2: It just once once you screwed up the the once you screwed up the bunt, trying to fix it by stealing him was an abysmal idea Like that I could I could sense him like he's going to try and steal him, to try and get himself in the same situation that is way too high a risk for very little reward, Like it's just you get yourself thrown out and you again like, I don't know.
Speaker 1: You need to be able to have somebody on first base. You need to be able to have somebody on first base in that situation to be able to steal second before you even think about laying that bunt down. That's it.
Speaker 2: I just and so it's frustrating for me where it's like the guy who was up was not the guy you want up for a situation. Like even if you really wanted to play for one run and get a single, cool, that's great. Why are you asking the guy that's hitting a buck forty to do it? Right? Like unless you had grand plans for Kyle Teal to pinch it, which I assume they didn't, because otherwise he would have played. Like, I don't know, it's just with runners and scoring position. This year, Drew Romo's hitting seventy four, so I don't know what the thought process was, Like you need a hit in that situations.
Speaker 1: He had a really good first week of baseball. You need to carry that.
Speaker 2: His role is go try and hit bombs and be a placeholder. So I just I just don't bombs dropping, man, No, right now, it's not a lot of bombs are not dropping either, So it's I don't know, it was. It was a very frustrating inning that just felt forced. Like, you know what this offense is. It's it's a power based offense that that is largely structured around good on base percentage, good slug and you deal with home or deal with the strikeouts because you get the home runs. That's what this team is meant to be. And you venable continues to operate in ways that don't jive with the collective makeup of this ball club. Yes, there are the Antonacis and the my drafts on this team totally, even the Yakuni totally get that, but they're like ancillary characters to this story. Your your offense is a more modern offense than it's been in the past. Stop trying to do things that aren't modern offense based.
Speaker 1: Keep your just keep your pause off it, just let it, let the offense, let it develop.
Speaker 2: This is a team that scored what nine runs and eight runs in the past two games. Yeah, of course they weren't going to score that many. But there's always the chance that that team pops off. But you know when they can't pop off, when you start giving up outs, yes, I mean you know, and.
Speaker 1: It'd be one thing. If this lineup's only done it a couple times this season, it's like, no, they've literally it almost feels like at least one game every series, our offense just decides like, yeah, we're carrying it today, like we don't care. We're just gonna score runs and we're going to hit the hell out of the baseball. And even if it's an out, dude, like we're gonna spread it. We're gonna make every outfielder work. We're gonna make every fielder work, and we're gonna hit it hard as hell.
Speaker 2: And maybe today wasn't that day, but I'd rather go down trying to play baseball that way than trying to play like I don't know the Royals right, Like, I'd rather try and play this team's offense because how many times And this is something I'm probably gonna have to do research on at some point because I complain about it a lot, like how many times do these bunts work? Right? Like it if you're playing for one run in the ninth inning or the tenth inning, like sure, those will work, but I feel like largely these especially the ones trying to get them from first to second with one out, just doesn't work at the level at which did the White Sox use it. I think that's my biggest issue. Again, if it's the seventh inning and you really need an insurance run and it's still one to nothing, cool, I totally get the idea. I might not agree, but I get the process behind it. It's the fifth inning and you're winning, you got that kick. Can't be the situation for it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I think there's there's a lot of things that need to go to account. You know, like how gooven arm does the catcher have, How strong of a defender is the pitcher? You know, how how quick on the feed is the third base in the first base. There's so many different scenarios that go into it, and honestly, like a lot of that's thrown out the window if you don't have like a true blue, kind of old school leadoff hitter. And Sam is great at so many things, but I would not ever put a comparison to him to like a Scopit Sednik or you know, insert lead off hitter here who steals forty bases a year. You know what I mean, You're gonna want him to swing the bad way anyway?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 1: You know why waste a bunt on something like that, or you know, if you do have him on first, why, why in the world will you chance putting him into a double play or bunting him across. I don't know, and I really don't want in ourselves in circles I find.
Speaker 2: I know thing I will say, like, I don't want this to turn into a I hate Will Venable or Will Venable sucks as a manager because I see a lot of that, and he does things that a young manager does who's never managed a winning ball club before. And I get that, and that's fine, but I feel like these are these are ones that are forced to where like you insert kind of like you had said, hands off the wheel at some point, like these are where you force yourself yourself into making a decision that you don't have to make. Just let this offense go. I I would rather, personally, as a fan, watch this offense sputter, knowing they could put up six runs at any given point than try and play ASIE ball with a team that's not built to play ASIE ball and try and go for the fifth inning.
Speaker 1: Terrible version of the first.
Speaker 2: Right, it's not even a good version of ball either, Right, like it. It's like the Temu version of Ozzie Ball like that. It's it's it doesn't make sense for what this team is built to be doing is correct.
Speaker 1: No, there's there's a time and a place, and your lineup construction has to work around it. Our lineup construction is freaking most everybody's hitting right now. Just let them get the bat off their freaking shoulder and swing like I want wil Venable to just take like three steps back and have even if it's just like a week or a series, just feel like, you know what all I'm going to do is I'm gonna I'm gonna toss some steel signs out there. I might, i might pinch hit somebody, but overall, I'm gonna let these guys kind of go because they're one of the hottest offenses in baseball, and these guys like to hit for power. So we're just if it doesn't work, we're in the seventh inning and we're just really getting nothing going. By all means, throw everything you fucking got at it and try to manufacture a run if you can't. But when when it's working and you've already shown you can hit the ball that day and lineup's kind of got a little bit of juice. Leave a beat. But all right, I think we talked about Bunting for good twenty minutes there, twenty more minutes than I ever want to talk about Bunting's all right, We're going to try to keep her a little short today, mainly because there's still a whole weekend of baseball here coming up, and it's it's July. Man, the All Start All Star Games is starting to get around the corner, Man, that's starting to heat up. If you have not voted for the Chicago White Socks, Miguel Vargas specifically, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Well? Unfortunately, did you see now they're into the second round where fans can only vote for the top two. There's Yeah, it's so bad. Oh my god, I don't even want to get into how bad. Like I've always been a fan of All Star voting for fans. This year, I'm like, you know what, maybe not, maybe we're done with this.
Speaker 1: This far vote work. So like most probably most teams we watched growing up, lads, we were just excited because we like we always had like the second chance guy on the ballot, you know what I mean, Like I remember I'm not entirely sure if we got Aj all the way internet, but I remember him being on a second chance ballot. He was batting like three p fifteen and actually hitting for a good bit of power, like one of the best bats in our lineup. One of the better hitting catchers in baseball throughout most of his career, by the way, not just trying to cloutch you up, Aj, but you're really good at hitting the ball, dude. That was exciting. Now I see it and I'm like, where are these guys coming from? And then I look at the actual belt and it's like, you freaking TikTok hitters. Unbelievable. Someone really liked your card on MLB the Show, and they decided they're going to vote for you ten times a day.
Speaker 2: It's disgusting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's uh, let's start to closer out though. Obviously one of the things do you want to talk about because I was a big Ben People's fan, Well, I think I was. I don't know, I never got something. I never got to see him pitch in Major League Baseball.
Speaker 2: I think I like this guy I never saw.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he was his stats. I loved looking at his stats I really did. I tried to find it the deepest way I could possibly look at him, Like from a triple A perspective, I was bugging the hell out of Michael Swerro and it just feed me every little nugget he could, Dude, was Ben People is just weird? Like is that? Like the is that what we're coming to?
Speaker 2: The crazy thing about like the people, because we've done this before, right, we did it? Why didn't they protect Peyton Pellette? And why did they trade Christian Mana? Right, Like we've done this as fans before. The one thing I oddly trust about the white sex right now is their ability to evaluate their own players. I have my frustrations with how they're developing them, like I've talked ed nauseam recently about like the pitching development I think has taken a tremendous step backwards. But I still feel like they know what they have or don't have. And I feel like People's based on the fact they got Ben Hardle, who is a twenty three year old high eight catcher, like that says a lot about the value that People's had, or unless the Socks really think they found a diamond in the rough, which by all accounts. I just don't think so it says a lot about how the team and maybe how the industry viewed people's right. I talked a few weeks ago, he's really struggling with lefties and you can't really have that when you have to have a three better minimum in the majors. So and it was a kind of a fastball, slider heavy arsenal. We've seen that really not work with a Jordan Leisure type player for this team, and that's the rationale I can give it. Again. We freaked out as a fan base before. Why didn't they get more for Christian Mana, Why didn't they protect Peyton Pellett? Like? Why didn't they even try ben people's like Oddly, I feel that they've earned the benefit of the doubt here with minor trades like this, because recently, at least Chris gets Brian Banister have wound up on the correct side of these. Now, granted, they might be wrong and then you got to have a completely different conversation about what do they miss. But at least I sit here thinking I'm not going to freak out at this point because I think they've earned the benefit of the doubt that hey, if this really isn't going to play in the big leagues, they kind of feel like they have a good pulse on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it could. When I saw the trade, I guess, you know, it was a little bit of an initial shock because it's I really thought he would be somebody with the way the bullpen's gone, especially as of late, that you would want to try to at least give a shot to see if you know he could do something. You know, like like we brought up at the top of the show, Trevor Richards. You know, I'm sure Trevor Richards is a great guy. But man, I'm just gonna keep on complaining about him until he's gone. No offense. You'll you will land on your feet and your hair is super cool. But like, dude, Ben, People's like, it's not like this. He's like this highly touted prospect. He wasn't somebody who you know, had a huge name.
Speaker 2: He just happened.
Speaker 1: He's everywhere he's gone. He's just produced in the minors, and I guess I'm just kind of ansty to see him in the major I really feel like this is probably protecting your investment. Maybe the White Sox really did see something that the you know, the fans aren't seeing, whether it's behind the scenes with mechanics or you know, really taking a good look at his splits with how much he does struggle against left handed hitters. It could be a scenario where you know, sell sell high because you don't think his value is ever going to go anywhere anywhere in the zone where it's at right now. I'm not sure if you know anything about ben hardle Las I don't. I have not even like began to look into that.
Speaker 2: No, I mean played with Antonaci Walks a lot that strikes out at a pretty high clip honestly, twenty five percent for a twenty three year old and a high A like it's generally average, but not for a twenty three year old in high A.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's not something they need, right like, especially at that low of a level, you don't really have like bat speed metrics, things that you can. Oh, maybe that's what they see. So all that being said, it feels like that says a lot about where people's was. Again, it might be a forty man roster decision too. Maybe they have some guys that you know they're planning to make some moves here at the deadline, and they need to start creating some space. I don't know. I just see it as at least for now, I I'm not going to have the same visceral reaction as a lot of the fans. What what are they doing this and this and neither, like, yes, they need bullpen help, but like I think that's actually a great example. Was great last year for the Socks walk to any guys got traded or guardians picked him up in the Roal five, it was bad in the Majors, came back to the Socks doing great and Triple A again still walking too many guys. So it feels like it's an apt enough comparison that either way, like these these are guys that aren't necessarily going to move the needle. I don't think there need. They're gonna need to find reinforcements elsewhere, and at the very least this opens up a chance for them to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I think I think the most he was is an exciting story and I did I was. I drank, I drank some of the ben people's kool aid. I don't know what he spikes it with. Maybe that's why he's gone I.
Speaker 2: Mean, so did I, and but it at a certain point it forces you to be like, all right, really, why isn't he up here and try and make sense of it, which is kind of why I got to this point.
Speaker 1: Well, in all honesty, dude, the name that's popping in my head right now of like what I thought his like actual peak realistically would have been, would have been like a Jimmy Lambert. Yeah, that's fine. That was the fun story for a little bit. Yeah, I mean that one out. Jeez, I don't know, I just uh, I got it on my nuggin. All right, Las, I think we gotta closer out. We still, for the record, we still have a lot to talk about. On Sunday, Nick will hopefully be back. I'm assuming we're gonna.
Speaker 2: Have the full crew. We'll actually be live Monday. We're not gonna try and force everybody into a Fourth of July plans on a Sunday night, so I'm sure you're all traveling, so we'll be going live Monday night. It'll be an off day. We'll have four days of Cleveland and a day to collect ourselves. The series doesn't go out, but either way, yes, we still have plenty more to talk about, and I'm sure Cleveland will give us plenty on top of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I kind of forgot it was the fourth July this upcoming with in the fourth Drive, this.
Speaker 2: Is all about I know. It kind of worked out and Joe was.
Speaker 1: Saying, I won that hat like all year. Brother.
Speaker 2: I know, and I love it, But it was for the fourth of July, and Joe mentioned in the chat He's like, oh, very patriotic. I didn't know the USA soccer game was on, So I look super patriotic right now, guys. But yes, I hope you all have a great Fourth of July weekend.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. All right, we're running long. Otherwise I would just completely tear into this right now because I've seen you wear this hat so much.
Speaker 2: It's like, I also, we're knowing it's the fourth of July coming up too, Like I could have thrown on a different.
Speaker 1: Hat, Like dude, It's like it's like pulling out the charcoal grill that's been sitting in your backyard for eleven out of the twelve months of the year and being like, I'm gonna pull her out for the fourth of July. I think it all real.
Speaker 2: Love that I don't care what you say, all right, whatever works for me.
Speaker 1: Time to close her out as I pulled down my intro Live TV, Ladies and gentlemen, that's all we have this week with the Socks on thirty fifth podcast. Be sure to describe to the podcast and Apple, Spotify, YouTube and anywhere else to hear podcasts. I'll sure check out the website Socks on thirty fifth dot com. Saw was following us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram at Socks on thirty fifth. Say up to day with Yo Gotto, White Sox. This has been Duke Coughlin, joined only by Jordansowski. I thought I thought we behaved. I didn't think we argue.
Speaker 2: That was relatively tame. I'm proud of us.
Speaker 1: Might might have something to do with its freaking Wednesday, and we might be a little burned out from the beginning of the week, But yeah, I like it when we go along.
Speaker 2: We'll be back as we come.
Speaker 1: We'll be back soon as we cover another week or another series of White Sox baseball. Thank you and go us out, Go Socks.