Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Resent Choice Medium.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 1: Welcome home. Y'all, Welcome to episode forty eight of Native Lamb Pod. It's so good to be home. We're coming to you live from the atl Shorty.
Speaker 3: We are live in.
Speaker 1: Atlanta for spell House homecoming. Well that's part of the celebration. We got another celebration. I'll tell you all about it later, but it's so good to be here Atlanta. And we have a live audience here. So we're gonna kick off the show right away and bring in my co host. I'm Tiffany Cross here with Andrew Gillham and the fabulous Angela Ry. What's up Angela fabulous tore in a mood today, y'all.
Speaker 4: So we just came in here, and Andrew is I'm.
Speaker 5: In a spirit of unity for all HBCU.
Speaker 4: I don't know, Just so.
Speaker 3: We're really clear.
Speaker 6: Andrew came in here represent his set, this ganggang all day.
Speaker 4: He said, to hell with.
Speaker 7: Comings, and you're from an HBC. You you reap your HBC, You not the HBC.
Speaker 6: I just am saying, I am us, Are you evoking my birthday weekend an honorary rattler, shout out to all the HBCUs.
Speaker 1: But we do want to honor Spellman and Morehouse. How many people want to Spellman the more House in the audience?
Speaker 8: Kay?
Speaker 1: Okay, y'all, well can they hall in the yard right now? But we got a few folks in here, so thank y'all for being here.
Speaker 4: Yes, Well, we have such a great show today.
Speaker 6: The one thing that I want to just highlight in this moment is the election. We did a Professional Development Program call with the group of young people that we train and shout out to the Professional Development program students are here, Janey and Kirsten and then Lolo who is a graduate of that program who is our booking producer, research producer, Utility player m VP, and I want to just acknowledge we did this call. We talked about how were feeling about the election, what are the vibes? There were tears shed, there was a conversation had about what folks were really feeling the angst. We have a student who talked about being in an area where they are actively recruiting for the KKK in North Carolina. Yeah, and it's just it's fascinating to see the dichotomy of existence right now, like there couldn't be a stark contrast.
Speaker 4: You think there might be some active KKK members in here.
Speaker 5: No, I want to know how feel feeling about the upcoming.
Speaker 4: A member of the KKK raise your about to go down?
Speaker 9: Why are you pointing me?
Speaker 5: Oh, I'm gonna say anything.
Speaker 7: I think I would love to know of the group that is as symbol here, how many of you all are feeling confident right now? By showing hand, it's pretty confident about the outcome that you desired. Okay, that are at the opposite end of that, which is not very confident about the and then always feeling sort of in the middle like I'm nervous.
Speaker 3: I'm nervous.
Speaker 5: I believe I'm nervod God, You're gonna come through.
Speaker 1: So not what I mean. About a third of the room said they feel confident about what do y'all think? About sixty percent of the room said they're not confident, and the remainder said they you.
Speaker 6: Know, I don't know add it up, but y'all thirty seven.
Speaker 4: That's great, tips up to one and fifty.
Speaker 7: But I think about a third is split across the across the space.
Speaker 1: I feel confident, y'all gonna just tell y'all, I feel confident. I feel like the sheer will of black women are going to carry her across the line. I believe and trust in our counterparts, our brothers. I know y'all gonna be right there with us to carry her across the line. I think it's just time. It's time. And I'm not consuming polls that come out every five minutes and one say this and one say that every day. I'm not consuming this media narrative that's been trying to divide our community, if you because none of that matters. If we just focus on what we have to do, and we get out the vote, and we cast our ballots and we make sure big Mama and Untie and cousin and little JJ and everybody else cast their ballots, I just feel like we're gonna win. I really did.
Speaker 7: I think the I think when we started looking at polls and reading everybody else's opinion about what's going to have in the election, we should turn on a new default, which is when you have that instinct to do it, text the relative who you're relatively unclear about whether or not they're going to vote. Uh, pick up the phone.
Speaker 10: Call.
Speaker 5: I know, it's very strange when your phone rings. I feel strange.
Speaker 11: I'm like, who is calling?
Speaker 5: Yeah, because there are other ways to communicate.
Speaker 4: But neither he don't communicate those ways.
Speaker 5: Pick up the phone and call somebody.
Speaker 7: But because it doesn't really help us, it doesn't ease our nerves to read these polls.
Speaker 5: It doesn't.
Speaker 7: It doesn't frankly, further inform us when reading everybody's opinion, because it's just that an opinion. And if we're that concerned and we think that democracy is that much at stake, let's text somebody and make sure they get out to vote on election day instead of in that spiral, because it can take you down reading some of the stuff.
Speaker 12: Georgia.
Speaker 1: I think Georgia. I'm so proud of Georgia because Georgia is officially a purple state. And I get tired of people saying, well, you know, the South is read and the South is Republican, and I always say it only is till it ain't. And I think the people in Georgia have shown this new coalition of voters that you know what I love about this area is black folks ain't the niche vote. Black folks are the base vote, so you need to pass through black folks to advance in a lot of elections. And I hope that this casts a wide shadow of influence over the rest of the country, as by twenty twenty or twenty forty four there will be no racial majority. So I think this is a good habit for us to get into owning our own political power and flexing the muscle this time around.
Speaker 6: So normally at the top of every show, you all know, we say welcome home, y'all, and we are in a city that well, tip can claim it. You can kind of claim it, but you do the people out today where I know you're rather but there's somebody, there's somebody who's here who can absolutely not only claim it, but also welcome us home. That is none other than the fifty ninth Mayor of Atlanta, Cassine Reid, who has joined us. So we were welcome Mayor Reid, former mayor, some of y'alls forever Mayor. We want to we want to welcome him home so he can walk up us home right back. And also can we give a shout out to Ryan at the gathering spot.
Speaker 4: Ryan Wilson.
Speaker 6: We love you, Thank you for welcoming us home. Thank you for everything you're doing in this election. Ryan is gonna come up to Ryan, come up. Why don't you go ahead and come up now, cause that's where I record every just so you guys. Let me tell y'all how down for the cause. Ryan Wilson is. We were trying to figure out a studio space in DC for the podcast.
Speaker 4: I'm about to go to them under the busch.
Speaker 6: iHeart told us that they had a studio that we could use, and they were not ready.
Speaker 4: They couldn't do it.
Speaker 6: And I was like, Ryan, don't y'all have a space, And Ryan was like, not only do we have a space, Tiffany is going to be welcome to record there every single week and he has done that. And so we are so grateful for you for the gatherings by family. So welcome home, y'all. We would like to get all welcome.
Speaker 13: Mare Well, I mean, I heard the conversation before I came up on stage. Let me just tell y'all we're gonna win, So I'm gonna start with that. So it's very important that folks in my space and everybody talk about that. The Republicans are running a confidence game on us. They did the same thing in twenty when Biden was running. All the consternation, all of the flooded poles. Trump got beat in twenty twenty two, there was a red wave, all the consternation, all the talk, all the chatter. These people are running on a forty seven percent platform. They can't be there straight up. So if we get out here straight up and go do it, we're talking about on ourselves on this stage. Let's beat these people. We need to finish this. And I don't want us to feel like this isn't in our hands. It's totally in our hands. But I do want us to go a step further than just saying, you know, we're gonna get our folks who we know should vote. All of us were involved in re electing President Obama, all of us. I remember all of you on the trail, and that's the election that meant the most of him because everybody thought he was gonna lose because the unemployment was above seven percent, and no president had.
Speaker 11: Been elected with unemployment being.
Speaker 13: Above seven percent, and the Republicans did everything they could to keep unemployment above seven percent. They wouldn't send money to Florida that ninety five quarter. They wouldn't take money in New Jersey with Chris Christy, right, and we beat them because we stayed at it. And so rather than saying that that we're gonna focus on getting ourselves to the polls, let's really make a list. Because Obama won by tens of votes across thousands of precincts.
Speaker 11: It's the same game.
Speaker 13: So we need to identify five people, ten people, fifteen people, twenty people, and let's get real about it. They're real specific, actually calling them, make sure that they actually vote. Every person that you've ever done a favor for, anybody that owes you some money.
Speaker 5: They may not answer.
Speaker 11: You know how it? Yeah, you know what I mean. Y'all know how it is when people owe you money.
Speaker 13: Right, anybody that you've done something for, call them and tell them you need help.
Speaker 11: Our democracy is at risk.
Speaker 13: And you got a woman in Kamala Harris who's doing every single thing she's supposed to do, every ridiculous hurdle they've placed in front of her. She's not talking to depress enough she needed to do to debate, She's not talking to ordinary. Everything she's done, she's doing it, and so when I got the call to be with this extraordinary group of people, I stop whatever I'm doing.
Speaker 11: Every time you get a chance to talk talk.
Speaker 13: Last night, we had one hundred people in the yard in the backyard, and then Casey from Jodas showed up and.
Speaker 11: It became a whole nother thing.
Speaker 13: Right, Oh yeah, yeah, he's saying forever my lady and killed it.
Speaker 3: Y'all know.
Speaker 13: But the point I'm making is, y'all, we can do anything for twelve days. Black people can do anything for twelve days. Give it to this woman, give it to her.
Speaker 4: I want to come to you, Ryan, and then I.
Speaker 11: That's my welcome, y'all.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's it.
Speaker 6: That is a good welcome because the welcome is action oriented. We also close every show with a.
Speaker 4: Call to action. So we'll start at a call to action. We'll take that. Ryan.
Speaker 6: You have also not only utilized this space as a galvanizing and an organizing space for this election, but you've also gone out to talk to other entrepreneurs just like yourselves in business and like yourself and business leaders talk about the importance of getting folks to focus on the economics of this election, because that's what a lot of folks are talking about at the kitchen table.
Speaker 5: Look, look, I agree with the mayor.
Speaker 11: Can join hear me? I agree with the mayor.
Speaker 14: We have to do everything possible to make sure that we do everything possible before this election. I simply just cannot look at election night and know that we didn't leave it all on the field. So we're going everywhere. Right after this conversation. I'm going to the airport and I'm going to Durham right because they're small business owners there. We're going to talk about what's at stake. We're going to talk about what we need to do to make sure that we bring everyone else out to make sure that they vote at the end of the day, y'all I am. I'm optimistic because I know what we can accomplish when we come together to make things happen. So these next couple of days, you asked me a question about the economy, and that's what these discussions are about. For a long time the mayor mentioned this. There was this conversation of like, well, where is the policy, right, we don't have enough policy. Well, look, there's been a lot that's been put on the table that we've got to make sure people know about. So things like the tax exemption moving from five thousand and fifty thousand game changer. Simple things that are in some of these white papers talking about removing red tape would be a game changer for small businesses. So all in all, once folks get the information, what we're finding is that they see that the contrast is very clear, and then they go vote. I will ask everyone, if you have not voted already, please go get that out the way.
Speaker 11: And that's partially to make sure.
Speaker 14: That we're counted right, but it's also to make sure that down the stretch you're not diverting resources to go have to knock on your door again when we need to be going to knock on somebody else's door that might not vote right. So early voting, if you're here in Georgia, you have.
Speaker 11: Until the first.
Speaker 14: Please go vote now and then do like the mayor say, go get somebody else.
Speaker 6: So I want to take this moment now. There's somebody that many of us listen to most mornings, and if you don't listen to you most mornings, if you're like me, you might change your ring tone. You might need a little gospel song to get you ready. She has a radio show called Get Up with Erica, and she is a legendary gospel singer.
Speaker 4: We're bringing Erica Campbell to the stage to join us.
Speaker 15: Hello, Hello, Hello, Hello, Hello, Testing one two, testing one two.
Speaker 16: Okay, we're good.
Speaker 1: Hey, Welcome home America.
Speaker 4: Thank you, welcome home.
Speaker 16: I'm glad to be here.
Speaker 1: Thanks for being with us.
Speaker 16: Absolutely honored, Absolutely honored.
Speaker 4: I want to have this.
Speaker 6: We do family talk a lot on our podcast, and there was something I haven't even talked to y'all about this yet.
Speaker 4: I was crying about this, I know.
Speaker 6: So there's a gospel artist named La Craye who I adore, and he recently had I just heard some grown so y'all might have cried too. So he recently had a conversation with a Republican and a Democrat on his podcast, and they were talking about the choices in this selection, which I really don't believe there are any, but they were talking about the choices. The Republican gentlemen focused more on economic issues as we were used to, despite probably being left out of Trump's plans. I digress, and the other gentlemen talked about all of the hypocrisy that you see across the aisle, Lucree said something and I didn't watch the whole piece, so let me acknowledge that first, because I hate when people do this to me.
Speaker 4: But I'm about to do what I hate.
Speaker 6: He talked about the other side championing killing the unborn, and I think that we really have to have an honest conversation with our folks about what really is on the line and what we're talking about, because that hyperbolic rhetoric is so dangerous right now. So I want to come to you, Erica about how you're threading that needle. I know you've been working hard for the Harris campaign. You have a conference today, and you stopped what you were doing to come see us before you're a conference, So thank you.
Speaker 4: You're really laying it all online.
Speaker 6: Can you weigh in here and what you think we can do to really make sure church folks understand that this is still a very clear contrast.
Speaker 15: I understand at the core of what abortion is people calling it murder.
Speaker 16: Okay, I get that, But.
Speaker 15: If Jesus was here, what would he say to a woman who had to choose? He wouldn't tell her what to choose. The Bible says I've placed before you life and death. So it is your choice. So if God lets me choose, how dare a government tell me what I can do with my body even.
Speaker 16: If I'm doing the wrong thing.
Speaker 15: So some people do choose to do the wrong thing, they'll stand before God, not their government. And I think that it is our job to remember that the government is not my pastor. And if you got faith, no matter what the economic strategy is, God still supplies all my needs according to His riches in glory. Some are already operating on a different level. So I don't feel like even excluding somebody from the LGBTQ community if we just honest about it.
Speaker 16: And I know I'm gonna get in trouble for this.
Speaker 15: They already go to our churches, they already sing, they're already here, So what is it that you're really talking about?
Speaker 16: Right?
Speaker 15: And so I just think that it is very hypocritical because in my mind, when you think of when Jesus was here, who was it that was.
Speaker 16: Bashing him the most?
Speaker 15: The religious we're better. You're supposed to be followed this law, followed, this rule. This says that you're religious. So if you have this unrealistic list of what it means to be a Christian, and you say we are the party of Christians. How dare you imply that somebody that doesn't agree with you is lacking faith. I just think it's absurd, and I just think if God lets me choose, even if I choose the wrong thing, it's still my choice and not yours.
Speaker 7: Thank you, miss Erica for taking time being with us. May I want to circle back around on this expectations game because you mentioned some of the flooding of the poll I don't know if you all had read about the fact that a lot of these outlying Republican polling firms have been dumping their polls into the mix here at the last minute as a way to affect the polling averages. So when you have national polling averages, it's not just one poll. They take the poll of all the polls, and so what you're getting is a bunch of trash polls from Republicans affecting what have been some legitimate polling that has happened as way to I think impact What the mayor pointed to, which is expectations, and what I'd love you to pick up is why are they trying to control the expectations game. If the election may be pointing more toward Harris win, why would the Trump folks be attempting to control expectations.
Speaker 13: Because hope requires courage, and people like to be a part of winning things. And you know, when you're in the home stretch and you feel something that's real, you've been in real campaigns, it energizes.
Speaker 11: It's a force multiplier.
Speaker 13: But if you're down, if you're concerned, if you're worried, you're less active to go be the best version of yourself. So that's why whenever I go, Ryan and Out are together. The other night, I opened by saying we were gonna win, and you can feel the room change just hearing. It's a force multiplier. And so I think that going into the last twelve days, all of you all have been around. The Vice president knows she feels amazing. And these people run a confidence game. They can't beat us straight up, but they're in.
Speaker 11: Georgia and we know how to vote.
Speaker 13: Raphael Warnock won three elections in a row for the United States Senate, and the Jewish gentleman named John Arsoff is the other United States Senator. So they can talk that talk to us but we know what we're doing. So I think and the reason I'm here today is to focus on the execution because it's that.
Speaker 11: Small margin, and to let people know.
Speaker 13: When we walking around barbershops, some beauty Pauls tell her we're gonna win and take people on. And when people talk crazy, talk crazy back, because you know they're folks that aren't watching this podcast.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 13: I'm in the barber shop the other day. The guy's talking about Trump on the economy. I'm like, my guy, there're more black people working to day that have ever worked in the history of the United States of America. My guy, black wealth is being increasing. My god, there's a black woman on the Supreme Court. My guy, who are you talking?
Speaker 11: What did Trump do? It changes the room.
Speaker 13: And I'm not on the bandwagon a bashing black men, but I am on the bandwagon are telling black.
Speaker 11: Men we own sisters. Stop it. You don't even need to get deep. We own sisters.
Speaker 13: The President Obama, the President Obama ran black women, wasn't talking about even.
Speaker 11: So let's not have a sophisticated conversation. I got a mama, I got a daughter.
Speaker 13: I know what a black woman being president of the United States is gonna do to my daughter's brain. And you talking about Trump ain't for you, and so I think it's on us Andrew, my brother mayor right to be out here at it. We ain't got nothing more important than this. Over the next twelve days, I don't care who you are. This country's gonna be changed in a way that we can't even conceive. You had a man run for president of the United States of America who stood up on TV in front of a group of people who claimed to be Christians and said, if we get this election.
Speaker 11: Over with, y'all won't have to worry about voting anymore.
Speaker 13: Right, Come on now, So Atlanta, Philadelphia, Detroit, Mech's going home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, for real, Right, he.
Speaker 11: Did his time.
Speaker 13: I'm for all of the talk. When they marched Kwame kill Patrick out of when Trump free Kwame kill Patrick. He was trying to do what trying to influence an election, So for all, I'm with all of the process.
Speaker 11: So that's what I came here to be, you know, I'm for it.
Speaker 13: I got three more of these today.
Speaker 4: Thank you for your service, mister Mayor. Tim.
Speaker 1: I just wanted to pick up on what you said because I appreciate your words that black men old sisters, but I just want to say, brothers, you owe yourself. You owe yourself because black women, when we win, y'all win.
Speaker 4: We are one.
Speaker 1: They can't deny us in her policies. She had a whole policy roll out just for y'all. You ain't doing us a favor by voting for her. We are locked arms as a community. There is no other community on this earth like black folks. When they try to divide us and talk about how violent we are, all these things ain't no. You dropped me in any neighbor. I can go to all y'all's house with Thanksgiving and I know the rules. You know that matters. You know, black women, we could have a whole conversation and not utter a word. Y'all know you get that. Look right, see was already on cue exactly those things matter. So I love your words may or read, but I just want to make that clear to brothers. All this talk about black men doing this black man, I've never believed it. I never doubted y'all for one second because I know y'all, because y'all are mean. I want to.
Speaker 4: Ask you all before you before you head out what your most.
Speaker 6: Significant issue was. If you had the privilege to be a single issue voter in this election, what would be your most important issue.
Speaker 14: We talk a lot about small business here, and there's some real important reasons why. Right, ninety six percent of our businesses don't employ anybody. Forty five percent of black folks in Atlanta have delinquent debt. And I got in trouble for saying this a couple months ago, but it's the truth. If you think about it, right, this is spell Houses homecoming weekend, and it's an important occasion. Shout out y'all.
Speaker 11: The didn't let me.
Speaker 14: But when you think about it, no matter where you graduate, right PWR or HBCU, unfortunately you were probably going to work at a PWI. And that's because too many of our businesses don't employ anybody. Right, So the research is very clear. Right, if we were to get more businesses in our community to a place where they were employing more people in our community, that that is and to expand the pie moment, that's good for everybody. So that's what we're talking about in this election. We've got to get access to capital to our businesses. We've got to make sure that we're not just talking about starting, but we're also talking about scaling, knowing that if we do that effectively, our neighborhoods will be better personally. You will see the impact, right because in this city, I know a lot of people were doing really well. All of those people are still going to go to a table in a couple of weeks where statistically there's going to be poverty at the table. So we've got to get to a place where we have the opportunity. I heard from one of our investors one time. He was like, look, there's only two ways to make money in America. You have to own something or you have to invest in something. Most black folks are not doing either one of those two things right now. So it's hard to put it down to one issue, but it connects to so many of the other things that we're trying to combat every single day because our businesses are too small.
Speaker 11: I love y'all.
Speaker 14: I'm actually about to go talk about the same thing in North Carolina. So if you know anybody in Durham tonight, tell them that we're doing what we're called Economic Freedom Talks, and we're having this discussion talking about what's on the table, but come back and see to GGS. I appreciate y'all, y'all, thank.
Speaker 4: You, mister Mayor.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna come to you because I got a two parter for you, Erica before you go to this conference.
Speaker 11: Yes, mineus. I like living in the democracy.
Speaker 13: I like being able to vote, and going to Tiffany's point, the fact of the matter is, just when we about to be able to run stuff, they want to change democracy. So as the country moves towards being where no one has a majority, right, we want to change the game. So I'm voting for a democracy fairer is harder. The more rights people have, the harder it is. And they're offering a Hitler based alternative.
Speaker 11: Thanks, So that's mine. I like democracy, I like being able to vote.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 15: I would say education, I would say, why aren't we teaching taxes in high school? Why aren't we talking about economics and you know, while we teach government and the different branches, and they don't even teach that anymore. They don't write in cursive anymore. Like there's so many things that they don't teach that would equip them to.
Speaker 16: Be prepared for what is to come.
Speaker 15: Why aren't we teaching them empathy and compassion and different things like that in our education system which is so broken. I went to public school, so I get it, and my kids are even in public school. With all that I do, and so when I see things, I say things. So I would be voting for education.
Speaker 6: So the last question I every year, and I know you guys have to run off. I just have been watching the souls to the polls efforts. Yes, I've been watching faith leaders fight. We just talked about one of the discussions that's not most recently. I would love for you to issue just a call to action for believers at home and for those in the audience to that. I think all these folks are going to vote, have already voted. But what's the thing that you're saying. This is what I need for you to do as you get ready to take your faith behind to the polls.
Speaker 16: Yes, yes, I stay behind you.
Speaker 15: I would say, if you have a church and your church is in a community and that community is struggling, you need to vote. If your parishioners are struggling financially, you need to vote. If you're seniors in your church are struggling with social security and don't have what they need.
Speaker 16: You need to vote.
Speaker 15: So you need faith, but you also need to take that faith and put in an action outside the church. You don't become a believer to just sit in the building you come in to. You become a believer to go out to the world to teach people, to help people, encourage people. And so that's why believers should vote. Take your faith, feel self to the polls and vote.
Speaker 1: Can I ask real quick that one quick question before the mayor leaves. I think there is a growing concern out there in the country, especially among black folks, that when Vice President becomes President elect Harris, how insufferable will Howard alumni be across the.
Speaker 11: Oh my god, you already know, you already know.
Speaker 13: I mean, you won't be able to go nowhere without here. You know, you know it's gonna be terrible. We'll discuss this good.
Speaker 5: All over the catcher.
Speaker 6: You will take y'all being insufferable for our freedom while we are thank you much to see read into Erica Campbell having wonderful conferences.
Speaker 9: Everybody, welcome y'all.
Speaker 6: Okay, while we're transitioning, we have our next panelists coming up from the A. C.
Speaker 8: O U.
Speaker 6: I want to just remind you all that you are welcome to come to this center mic to raise any question or comment to the audience, so feel free, or to our panelists into each other to the audience, so feel free to come up. When you do come up, make sure that you say your name and where you're from in true n LP fashion. Joining us now is Andrea Young, who is the executive director of a c o U in Georgia. She is doing some tremendous work which we are going to hear about. And one of my favorite things is the legacy that is sitting before us. This is the daughter of Ambassador Andy Young. So thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 3: Listen, oh, listen to all that.
Speaker 4: If everybody's excited about that, I love it.
Speaker 10: And I hate to say about another Howard, So yes, the Howard people.
Speaker 12: To say nothing to you.
Speaker 10: Here, right, Howard is here, So yes. And and that was our you know, one of our mayors. You know, we've had black men for a long time in the city. That's kind of how we roll so and all about empowerment and as he said, democracy, because democracy is how we got here.
Speaker 7: Yes, No, I was just gonna say Speter. First of all, thank for the work that you do. I'm a monthly member contributor.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much, of course.
Speaker 7: But you all, we've been saying for a long time the most important election, the most important election. I gotta imagine that when we're faced with the potential of a fascist on the other side, that for the ACLUES, this has really.
Speaker 5: Got to be.
Speaker 7: You know, we're at a death con you know, death Con five at this point, and you.
Speaker 10: Know, just to say we are meeting NonStop and preparing.
Speaker 12: We have all the legal papers ready.
Speaker 10: You know, we saw you know, what happens in twenty twenty, and you know we are prepared and we're working, you know, in advance. I mean here in Georgia and in every battleground state, the ACLU is working to make sure people can vote unhindered. You know, that they don't change the in the middle of the game, and that afterwards the votes get counted, they get certified, they get sent up to Washington, you know, to to be for the Electoral College. So we're working on all fronts, all across the country, and especially with the focus on the battleground states.
Speaker 7: We love that and I would just ask for the ACOU what would you all what do you fear most in the changing of our democracy should there be a Trump two point zero.
Speaker 10: Well, you know, I came to Georgia during segregation, so you know, I don't have to imagine I remember, you know, because really, you know, Langston Hughes said Jim Crow is a fascist regime, right, so we know and our grandparents know, you know what, you know what this could look like.
Speaker 12: And you know, the ASILU.
Speaker 10: Was very involved in stopping the family separation policy. You know, so people who will do that, we don't know how low they can go.
Speaker 4: I want to ask you.
Speaker 6: You all have been instrumental in the state election board's recent hand counting rule, and you all are fighting the good fight, whether we know it or not. I would love for you to talk a little bit about that. We talked about it on our podcast as well. Thank you to hear from someone on the front lines. I think is really really important to our listeners.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 10: So, you know, the ACLU is working on the right to vote twenty four to seven, three hundred and sixty five days. We don't just do it in election years. So we've been monitoring the election boards every month when they meet. We have volunteers that go we monitor the state election Board. We go in the legislature to try to keep them from changing the rules. So they change the rules to make the state Election Board essentially a MAGA, you know, advocacy group, and uh, we had to. They came up with about seven rules that would have made it easy to prevent certification of the of the vote in Georgia. So we you know, we sued and were able to actually get to rules. Two different judge judges ruled Judge mcberney and Judge Tom Cox, who uh, who's basically smacked down seven of them and said they were out acting outside of their authority.
Speaker 12: And so the.
Speaker 10: Rules that were in place during the primary will pretty much be the rules under which we are operating this election. But it takes relentless, relentless effort to you know, as the church folks say, the devil is busy, and so it takes a relentless effort to to to keep access to the to the ballot. So at the a c l U, we believe voting should be easy for for everyone and and you know, everyone votes and you accept the result.
Speaker 12: That's democracy.
Speaker 10: Now that Georgia only fifty two percent of Georgia voters self identify us white. So, as Mary Reid said, you know now that you see, you know, this real opportunity for you know, we've already elected you know, Senator Warnock, Senator Astov statewide that are folks who are pro choice, pro democracy, interested in criminal legal reform, uh, you know, interested in you know, access to capital for you know, communities of color. Now that we've elected those kinds of leaders that you know there is that possibility.
Speaker 12: Let's keep this going. And and politics.
Speaker 10: Is how you and voting is how you make the folks who make decisions be responsive to your priorities.
Speaker 12: I want to.
Speaker 1: Ask some some local issues here. I really appreciate the point you made about Atlanta having black mayors. Atlanta always has a black mayor, and it's been shaky a few times a few elections. But my mother worked for Bill Campbell. My grandmother grew up not far from here. I went to elementary school, middle school, high school here, So this city means a lot. I haven't lived here in over twenty five years. When I left, it was not the demographics that I see now. Atlanta is important because I think it's a message to every city in Mississippi, every city in Alabama, every city in Arkansas. What have you seen happen here that harnesses black power in a way where we are flexing this political muscle now that other cities perhaps can mimit.
Speaker 10: So I think, you know, one of the things I look at is in the in terms of the agency of the black community is what Manor Jackson's grandfather called the book, the ballot and the book. Right, So we have the education, you use your political power, and you use that for economic power.
Speaker 12: And while you know, as they.
Speaker 10: Said, we're not where we need to be, and of course all of this has been taking place. You're working against a state, you know, that doesn't believe in even medicaid expansion. You're working against the federal government that has withdrawn resources for housing. You know, there's no such thing as welfare, the kinds of things that used to sustain people and allow them to move up. So we're working against you know, some very difficult national and state trends. But it's that kind of understanding. But one of the things you do with your political power is, as Ryan said, you you want to create the opportunity for economic power. But at the same time, if you have economic power. You know, Black folk have always created wealth, but we don't keep it unless we have the political power to defend, defend our businesses, defend our communities, you know, and defend our access to you know, our ability really to prosper because you know, in the in the south, uh, you know, if you get too upp aty, somebody will come, you know, burn your stuff down in the past.
Speaker 6: Right, you know, one of the things that we address at the top is the inks that some folks are feeling about this election. You're doing the work that would hopefully prevent us as a collective from experiencing that type of inks. What can this audience do? And you all are still welcome to ask questions. I am very surprised because normally NLP fan be all up into mic and in the camera. So please ask questions with this genius we have seen here, this wonderful attorney. So I would love to hear what you think folks can do to prevent that inks? Well, how can they support a c O you What are the things that we should be doing right?
Speaker 10: Well, as Andrew said, we do we we do take individual donations and you know, our monthly supporters, and it's actually because we are supported by individuals, not by big mega We don't get corporate government, which means we are independent and we work for the people. And you know we will you know, we will persist, but people have to vote right, we and we have to talk people through their anxieties and concerns. You heard, you know, some of the things Cassim had to say that, you know, we have to help folks understand that while Trump put his name on the check, it was the Black Caucus that got that check, right, it was it was the efforts. It was you know, he he he wasn't trying to give that money to votes. You have to help people understand. I think President Obama said, you know that was my economy that you inherited, right, help people really understand that.
Speaker 12: What the realities are.
Speaker 10: And there is a lot of disinformation, a lot of very intentional we know we've heard that you know, Russia, China and Iran are all trying to throw this to Donald Trump. Why is that? You know, we are the example of a multi racial, multicultural democracy. There's so much more that we can do and we're not you know, as we said, let's you know, we have you know, understand so really talking to people, meeting with them where they are asking them what is really important to them. Sometimes people think that, I don't know, have they heard about the one million public servants that got loan forgiveness?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 10: And of course, you know, reproductive rights understand that that when they when they.
Speaker 12: Struck down Roe v.
Speaker 10: Wade, they didn't just say you can't have an abortion. They also struck down the law that says the government can't sterilize you.
Speaker 12: Right.
Speaker 10: And so this thing of reproductive choice and freedom goes both ways. Right, if the government can tell you that you have to continue your pregnancy, they can tell you that you can't have a pregnancy. And we know that this has happened to Black women in the past.
Speaker 12: You know, So.
Speaker 10: This this thing when we talk about reproductive justice. You know, Black women disproportionately die from maternal uh. You know, maternal health. Infant mortality is still was too high in our community before Roe v. Way.
Speaker 12: Now that they've struck down Road v.
Speaker 10: Way, they are undermining the ability of women to get reproductive health care. We see maternal mortality and infant mortality going up in you know in you know this very not because the ability isn't there to save people's lives, but because the government is saying and tying the hands of physicians when they are trying to deliver health care.
Speaker 1: You have a question. Yes, yes, Brandon Carter.
Speaker 17: I live here in Atlanta, and my question is a lot of people feel that Trump's presidency was retribution for Obama's election twenty twenty.
Speaker 11: We know January sixth.
Speaker 17: Was retribution for Biden's and then all of the court of all of the laws that were passed was because of that.
Speaker 11: Do you feel that there's going to be a retribution win? Harris wins.
Speaker 10: Now if we keep voting, you know, I mean people, you know, there was a big outpouring. People came out and voted for Obama, and you have to keep it going.
Speaker 12: So we talk.
Speaker 10: We also at the ACLU have a saying called Hope, Vote Advocate.
Speaker 12: You know, voting is the beginning.
Speaker 10: You then have to advocate, you know, for the things that you want your elected officials to do, and we have to keep voting. I think Spelman has a thing about for donations, like every woman every year like don't.
Speaker 12: Just give on your you know, your alumni year.
Speaker 10: And it's the same thing we have to vote every year. We can't just vote every four years. We didn't we even with Obama, he didn't keep the Congress that he needed to let him continue his agenda.
Speaker 12: So we we are.
Speaker 10: I mean, the only reason this is even a discussion is because we have the electoral college, which is rooted in you know, the defensive slavery. But if you look at the popular vote, you know Hillary won the popular vote, right, and so based on the popular vote, George Bush shouldn't have been president and Trump shouldn't have been president if we had a system where the popular vote winner was one.
Speaker 12: So yes. So the thing is is that we just have to keep at it.
Speaker 10: There will always be pushback, but the but I think the people who believe in a fair and just and multiracial America, I believe are the majority. But we have to believe it and we have to keep voting like it.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for you. I think there will be retribution. I get your point about keep voting and political retribution, but I am fully raised for political violence in this country. When President Kamala Harris wins, I think we've already seen evidence of that, and as black folks, we already know how violent white people can be when they don't get their way, So I'm very raceed for what will come next.
Speaker 7: I also think there'll be political policy retribution. I think the Senate is probably going to go Republican. They already stole the Supreme Court seat from Obama a year out from the election, yet they gave one four or three to Trump and one within weeks a few months of the election. I think they're going to be poised to prevent her from moving her agenda on day zero. The people who we are in bed with for the purposes of getting her elected, these former Trumpers who are now never Trumpers or whomever. I mean, they've already got the opinion pages written for when she gets there. This is what we thought we would get. She's more liberal than we expected she, you know, so I think we should gear up for that to the point, which is why we have to keep voting and keep supporting her, because that is already I think.
Speaker 10: But you know, Beyonce is going to Texas now, Colin already is.
Speaker 12: You know, uh.
Speaker 10: In Florida, the you know, abortion issue is on the ballot. That has always brought out, you know, voters who believe in in freedom. So you know, I, uh, you know, I'm an optimist till they till they capt the votes.
Speaker 4: Hear that, and we have another question, and tell us your name and where you're from, sir.
Speaker 18: Afternoon, Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 11: My name is Earl West.
Speaker 18: I'm from Seattle, Washington, twelve six.
Speaker 19: Garfield class of eighty four, same as your brother.
Speaker 4: Same as my brother and my daddy, my brothers. Have you talked to him, I haven't talked to him.
Speaker 9: I have talked to him.
Speaker 18: I was with your father at our one hundred year reunion up in Seattle, so I do have a picture of that. But my comment in question, my comment will probably will lead to a question.
Speaker 19: But uh, just the other day I was over at.
Speaker 18: A black owned boutique and in line talking to some brothers the importance of voting, and one of them was a libertarian, which was confusing to me because you had a black owned boutique.
Speaker 11: Ironic.
Speaker 18: But it's more of information and how information is being gathered and distributed and where we can find it information because I'm having to combat the information out there just by talking to some of the brothers, because I don't believe that the black man thing is real because I have moms, sisters, aunts and every nephew's nieces. So I have to vote as a as the poet and lyricists and UH sports expert once said, we vote based on harm reduction, you know so sports knowledge. You know, I got you you know so, So the way I vote is based on what I have in my family. But is there a way as far as getting the information out and making sure that I'm speaking the truth to these young brothers to make sure I am pointing them in the right direction, because I see that a lot sometimes everywhere I go, I make sure that I vote. I tell the people that work for me, you take the day off, go vote whatever you need to do. So if there's a way that I can get that information and get that information to the people, that would be a good thing for me.
Speaker 4: I love for you to answer.
Speaker 10: You know, our website a c l uga dot org has all the information about you know, links to where.
Speaker 12: To vote, how to vote.
Speaker 10: You know, we have talking you know, different issue on points, but particularly right now, it's just the you know, getting the getting the where to go. And I appreciate your point about harm reduction because you know, we do a lot of that right now. And uh, and it's real, right, it makes a difference.
Speaker 19: And why don't I see like.
Speaker 18: The comments that JD Van said about Trump on the air twenty four seven? You know, I mean, there are some things that I think we should be saying and seeing that though Republicans have said about this guy, and.
Speaker 19: Why don't we see these things twenty four seven?
Speaker 11: It just baffles.
Speaker 6: Me, you know, I'm gonna tell you, Leonard and I did CNN last night, and yeah, they ended up going viral, and part of it was honestly a continuation of the conversation we had on our podcast. We talked about fascism and if Andrew, of course, you've already mentioned today that Jim Crow is a form of fascism, and so one of the things that I brought up was I remember being on air, and this is getting to to your point, being on air, and I said that Donald Trump was racist. It was one of the first times I think that it's been said on cable news. And Anderson was moderating the conversation.
Speaker 4: He was like, well, what are you basing that on?
Speaker 6: I'm like his history, So I started running things down. But it was a very tense moment on air, not just with Anderson, but with the whole panel, because oh, you can't say that, I dare say that, Yes I can.
Speaker 4: Here are all the facts.
Speaker 6: So I brought up the point that when Kamala Harris was asked at the town hall if she thought Donald Trump was a fascist, not is he a fascist, but if she thought he was a fascist, it got so so much more press attention than the fact that her chief of staff, the former Department of Homeland Security secretary, said that he is a fascist and defined the terms.
Speaker 4: So that is one of the things that we should be saying.
Speaker 6: I also want to acknowledge we are saying in a lot and that's why we did our podcast the way we did. We went through and defined what fascism is, examples of fascism. These guys go overseas a lot more than me and their commentary. I stay domestic as much as I can. It's enough going on over here. But they are brilliant at this. They talk about the ways in which we've seen fascism historically and through other parts of the world. We have to emphasize that people are like, it can't get worse, Yes it can.
Speaker 4: It absolutely can so well.
Speaker 1: I want to say about the news urn because I think that's a significant thing. You know, that's my constant beef the cable news. Y'all have seen like they have centered a shrinking demographic. They center the interest and comfort of conservative white folks. They have no interests in centering us, and that's why we've seen their numbers continue to decline over the years, and media has become more democratized so other people have a voice. The sad part about that is that opens up a door for a lot of misinformation and disinformation, and so we don't see a lot of the just actual facts because they have a vested interest in feeding you all this narrative where you have angst around this election. So what do you do when you wake up? You want to put on CNN and watch that all day to see what this poll said at eleven o'clock. Maybe it's gonna say something different at noon. They have turned the news platform into reality television. Let's go find somebody to say it's raining outside, and then let's go find somebody to say it's sunny outside, as though they themselves are not reporters to say, we can demonstrably say it is a sunny day, it is not raining. They treat both of these sentiments and statements as though they are facts when they are clearly not. There's also a comfort right, less than six percent of all newsroom staff is black. And so when you have all of these people and they say, well, my my grandmother voted for Trump, she likes Trump, and she's not a bad person. Ps. Yes she is, my auntie, my mom, my dad did all these things she's not about. Yes they are. And so they extend humanity to these folks in a way that they can never extend to us. We can get shot right on camera and they still got to be the perfect victim. It's still a question. We have to die in spectacular ways to pierce the white narrative of what's happened to us. But when it comes to their policies, their platform, they got all the humanity in the world. So I discourage people. Really, I am more of a reader now than I am a watcher. Watch Joy Ree please every night on MSNBUC at seven pm. She is holding it down. But outside of that, I don't see a lot of truly intellectual discourse from these people who get so many of our eyes and our viewership and our dollars.
Speaker 5: So just two quick things. One on Partifany's point on the media.
Speaker 7: One of the strategies with fashion in its earliest stages is the assassination of facts so that no one becomes the arbiter of what is true in what is false. And now you don't have a source that we can call a main source, because everybody's a main source.
Speaker 9: The stuff you.
Speaker 7: Get on your feed, the stuff through social media, somebody's snapchat video to you becomes a primary source. So the assault on facts is number one. And who introduced that in large form, Donald Trump, when they began with alternative facts.
Speaker 5: Oh, that's just another way to see it.
Speaker 7: And we adopted that there are now alternative facts as a legitimate form of describing another set of facts not true fascism.
Speaker 5: And then to the point of when we speak.
Speaker 7: About Iran and Russia foreign actor's intrusion in our elections, it's not that they're sending missiles and bombs and folks into our country. They're taking what exists in our country as natural rifts between communities, between a people's and then they are exploding those rifks and what push notifications you get what information, what shows up as as whatever in your Instagram and you're like, I ain't followed this person, but they're still showing up in your in your fees. That's the they have. They have sophisticated technology where they are they are deliberately interfering with what you see on your screen. So when we talk about black men, they're not making it up. What they hear, what they heard, what they thought were facts. It is being deliberately sent to them in oversaturated form so that it becomes a fat the truth.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, I want to give you the opportunity to any partnering words. I know you have to go and we're bringing up our next panel, but before you do, yeah, I just.
Speaker 12: Went, well, thank you for doing this. I'm you know, I.
Speaker 10: You can't say enough about how important this election is. And one of the things, you know, one of the things we do, of course, is defend the right to free speech and the right to protest, and so understand that we can disagree with the president Harris, you won't be able to disagree with the President Trump. And he's already promised to send the military, to send the National Guard after people who don't agree with him and support him. So if nothing else, you know, understand that the freedoms that we had to fight for the kind of demonstrations that we saw with the George Floyd, the Women's March, we had to fight for the right to do that, and that is also a right along with reproductive rights, along with voting rights.
Speaker 12: That are on the ballot right now, because voting is.
Speaker 10: Happening in Georgia, North Carolina right now. So please participate and take five friends.
Speaker 4: From Aco you.
Speaker 6: We are so grateful for your partnership and for being here today.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much, thank you.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 6: We now have the opportunity to welcome to the stage some additional women champions and queens joining us from the UH from from Georgia. She is a Democratic Member of Congress and a CBC member, so she's CBC fan. This is Congresswoman to Kima Williams. We also have someone who's becoming a legend before our eyes, fighting the good fight to ensure access to capital and equity for businesses and business owners who look like us, as Arian Simone from the Fearless Fund.
Speaker 4: She got some fans in here and certainly not look at them and.
Speaker 3: You're look at this.
Speaker 4: I knew it, no problem. We love y'all. Y'all got to set down now.
Speaker 6: We also have joining us our good friend and sister Kimberlee Blackwell, who runs a Marsham marketing company PMM agency and is a business strategist extraordinaire dimples. Hello everybody, Hello, thank you all for joining us.
Speaker 4: Nikim, I want to start with you.
Speaker 6: You sit on financial services, you are dealing with kitchen table issues every day, and Committee. I know that we did a round table with you with Arian. I want you to talk about the fight that we're up against, particularly if Democrats don't take over the house. What does it look like for people who are just trying to make ends meet, who are trying to access capital, who think DEEI doesn't mean didn't earn it, but actually means diversity, equity and inclusion are abundantly important.
Speaker 20: Absolutely well, hellover one and welcome to Georgia's fighting fifth Congressional District. I am Congresswoman Nikima william and so happy to be here having this conversation with people that I've been in this fight with and it is still ongoing.
Speaker 12: Y'all.
Speaker 20: So, as a member of the House Financial Services Committee, y'all, I've been in Congress for two years, well, two sessions, two terms, and my first year in Congress, I was appointed to the very powerful House Financial Services Committee, and one of my subcommittees was the Subcommittee.
Speaker 4: On Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
Speaker 20: And I served on that committee for two years under the leadership of my chairwoman, Joyce Baty, and then, y'all, I got re elected to my second term in Congress and Democrats were no longer in control. And the first thing that they did in our organizational meeting is.
Speaker 4: They got rid of the entire subcommittee.
Speaker 20: So there is no longer a subcommittee on diversity equity inclusion in the House Financial Services Committee. And we looked at our chairman and we asked, well, what was this about, and he said, well, we're going to include it in everything that we do. But we all know that means it is not going to be included in nothing. And then we are under attack at every angle. And I'm sure you'll hear more about that shortly, But in the House Financial Services Committee, where everything that you can think of that impacts us building generational wealth and our financial well being in this country, especially as black people goes through that committee. Housing is in that committee, every banking industry that you can think of, not just traditional banks, but fintech, and now we're writing the rules of the road when it comes to digital assets and what that looks like. All goes through this committee with no lens for DEI because that entire committee was gotten rid of. So as we're going through this election cycle, we got eleven days, but who's counting? I am but eleven days, and here in battleground Georgia, we understand.
Speaker 4: What's at stake.
Speaker 20: So when we talk about our freedoms being on the ballot, it includes our economic freedom. It includes our ability to build that general racial wealth so that we can close the racial wealth gap that is so persistent in this country, even here in Atlanta, where we are the mecca for black people coming to build wealth. I moved here from rural Alabama. Shout out to my HBC utility of college. Moved here after college looking for the opportunity that I knew the leaders before me, like my predecessor. I don't know if Andrew is still here, but Ambassador Andrew Young, who held the seat before Congressman John Lewis, and so moved here looking for this opportunity and now knowing that my city is leading the country in the racial wealth gap, and there are so many forces trying to keep us there.
Speaker 4: But we know that in eleven.
Speaker 20: Days we have options on the ballot. We have work to do to make sure that we are victorious.
Speaker 4: And when I.
Speaker 20: Show up to the polls, because I haven't banked my vote yet, but I have a plan. So when I show up and cast my vote, my vote for Kamala Harris is a vote for our future, a vote for our economic freedom. Because when we're disbanding committees like DEI in the House Financial Services Committee, it is quite telling where the Republicans in this country are and what they think about us being able to close that racial wealth gap and build generational wealth within our communities.
Speaker 7: Thank you for that, congress Woman, and we're extremely proud of you. Another person we were proud of is Arian, the rattling community all over but I think all over the country we've born witness to your fight. And I say your fight, but I know it's your fight on.
Speaker 5: Behalf of all of us. Right. We hope to see you in Detroit last week. What up?
Speaker 21: Though?
Speaker 5: We were there and your.
Speaker 4: Home is every Can y'all leave the mic sign because this is a very interacting podcast. Let's leave the mic sign.
Speaker 22: You guys are going to every city I've lived in. Yes, my hometown Detroit, my home here and fam.
Speaker 5: You the real home.
Speaker 4: Yes, he's not biased, but.
Speaker 7: Arian, I want you to talk about a lot of us that follow the ebbs and flows of this fight. I'd love for you to give this audience and our listenership an update on where we are as relationship protecting women's accesship.
Speaker 3: I'm Marian Simone.
Speaker 22: I'm CEO of the Fearless Fund, where the nation's first venture capital fund that's built by women of color for women of color. And literally we had opposition way before a lawsuit. So I want people to understand that when people see that this lawsuit is over, they're like, oh, she can breathe. Yeah, to an extent. To an extent, the opposition still exists. Women of color are the most founded entrepreneur demographic, just the least funded, receiving only zero point three nine percent of venture capital funds. The industry has ran ninety two percent white male. Now that doesn't even include any other men, like as far as other races, ninety two percent white male. So that just shows you due to the numbers, there's opposition.
Speaker 4: Way before a court case.
Speaker 22: Right now, our case is permanently dismissed. Thank god, that's a collap.
Speaker 16: Thank you, Lord said.
Speaker 22: Thank you Lord, because she was in plenty of meetings with us and plenty of the late nights strategizing. So literally, even as soon as this week, we've been dealing with people trying to shut our fun down conversations Angela, I have you have to even inform you of this is still a situation just because you don't see it in a lawsuit. The enemies of equity and equality are real, and they have a problem with us running this business. Prior to the Fearless Fund existing, a black woman's average fundraise was only thirty thousand dollars. And we are still cutting seven figure checks. We came on the scene cutting them and we're still cutting them, and it is very disruptive. It's just very disruptive. But right now, legally we're good. But honestly, this is not a matter of where the private sector should be having to defend this.
Speaker 4: This is more of a policy issue.
Speaker 22: That's what it is at its core, which is why I was so excited when.
Speaker 3: Kind of Swimming Williams was on the panel. I said, wait a minute.
Speaker 4: I showed him out to do list. I said, at the top of it was, I said, you're on my call is today.
Speaker 3: I said, we'll chat right after this.
Speaker 4: But really it's because that's what it is. It's a policy issue.
Speaker 22: There was a time, as we all know, when slavery was legal, you know, but that doesn't mean it's right. So we have to fix some of our policies in order to protect marginalized communities so that everybody can achieve the American dream er.
Speaker 1: I just want to pick up on something that you said, because I think it's so important to understand those numbers when it comes to when you have a business idea and you go to get funded. There was research that came out, I think twenty eighteen on rate my VC. So you talked about the numbers of who is on the other side of that table. The number of black people at that time who were vcs was less than point two percent, and those white boys were they were making it rain on anybody with an idea, and you watch their businesses crumble time after time, black businesses had to struggle and they were thriving. This research found that because of black businesses getting denied, that the United States missed out on multi billion dollars in economic opportunity. Racism does not pay. So thank you for what you do.
Speaker 22: And I'll think one second, and I know we got to get to Kim, but I want people to understand how this industry actually works. So the largest investor in private equity and venture capital the industry I work in, are pension funds. I work in a sixty two trillion dollar industry. So on the ground floor you have pension funds.
Speaker 6: You say that number again, sixty two trillion dollars, trillion trilli, not billions trillions.
Speaker 22: So on the ground floor you have these pension funds that are the largest investors. You're talking teachers, you're talking firefighters, you're talking police officers, ground floor right here. Then that money goes up to the sixty two trillion dollar industry that is controlled by ninety two percent white men. That then goes into the white startups, and it very rarely makes us all the way down in a circle back to the people of color who are very much, so highly populated, and the teachers, the police officers, and the fire workers and everybody else where this money was made off of. So if you know any public workers or anybody with pension funds, you'd tell them, Hey, if you're going to put my money somewhere, it has to come back to my community.
Speaker 14: You know.
Speaker 4: Kim. I love that arian You said that it is a public policy issue, and it is.
Speaker 6: But one of the things that we know is that public policy doesn't change without pressure. So I love that you're up here, Kim, in part because of your own role on boards. The important role that boards played. That is also politics, right y'all are voting members of an entity that control how dollars are spent for a corporation. Please for a moment talk about the very significant role that board members play in shifting corporate policy and how that impacts groups like what Arianne has started with Fearless Bud.
Speaker 23: Okay, so one, thank you all for having me. I will tell you that in the same way that we have public policy, there's governance. As Angela mentioned in the cor in Corporate America and the Private Spector. I'm a twenty five year old year young founder founded my business right out of college scaled it to a multimillion dollar enterprise, Thank you Jesus. But what that being said, some of my primary partners are of Corporate America. And so when you look at where and how we are discussing DI now, and I'm gonna kind of throw a little bit in here that might be kind of an interesting twist because while I certainly believe in the commitment to d unequivocally, I want us to also remember it's chestnut checkers, and sometimes I think that we need to make sure that we're looking at the commitment rather than the merchandising. And so for me to your point as it relates to duty, when I'm sitting in a board seat or when I'm advising to chairman of Fortune one hundred of the C suite, we are looking at it from a standpoint of inclusion and commitment. I don't need to necessarily see DEI. I don't need to see those words. I do need to see the business plan. I do need to see the accountability, and most importantly, I want us to be able to show the business value to where and how those things are reached. Because I'm going to tell y'all in anything by way of what doesn't get measured won't matter. So for me, it's about how are we accounting to to the metrics and measurement and outcomes, because what we know is that inclusion is good business. This week in Atlanta is the National Minority Supplier Development Council Conference. I'm certified as a minority women business enterprise. I'm certified as a women's business enterprise. With that said, Magic Johnson hosted something this week with that. He had Tony Wrestler, one of the owners of the Hawks, who stood before as the title sponsor, to say that in all of his enterprises he's looking at where and how inclusion is good business. When you talk to Derek Johnson and others, again, I want us to look at where and how we play the game. You know, Angela introduced me as a strategist, and all.
Speaker 16: Of this becomes strategic.
Speaker 23: Sometimes we are a little bit lost in the tactics of things and we need to stay at the macro. But with Angela's comment, we have to have seats at the table. And after George Floyd, you did see a spike and increase by way of representation of many on boards whether it was women, black Latino, and I want to say this to our Latino brothers and sisters too. You know, you talk about where and how we are underrepresented and under marginalized. When I'm going out and doing campaigns as it relates to building business strategies for corporations, it's harder sometimes to find.
Speaker 4: Them in the leadership seats.
Speaker 23: So you know, we have to look at this as a collective force and get out of the game of marginalizing all these different verticals and understand that the power is really in the collaboration and making sure that the representation and the accounta But because you can't go in there scared, see you and those folks who on me and I operate from a spirit of humility, but I also understand where and how when I'm in the room and at the table, operate from the side of making sure that right is discussed.
Speaker 4: I don't have to lead.
Speaker 23: They can see that I'm a black woman, but we need to discuss in the sense of business and what is right and be able to show that as business leaders, and that's how we begin and continue to move the needle.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you bringing up the Latino community Kim, because we have had this discussion on our podcast routinely what we see happening in some communities across the country. I hate to see any of us use the white man's the oppressor's tools or language. This country has not been kind to any community of color. In twenty forty four, there will be no racial majority, so we can win together or we could lose divided. And I think we have to acknowledge that one we talk about this as well. The Latino community for the first time has eclipsed to Black community in terms of eligible voters, not registered voters, but eligible voters, of course, and I will acknowledge their anti black sentiments in every community, but more often than not, we are trying to work together. So I just as they make migrant crime an issue, which is not an issue. It's significally going. This is a lie of fallacy when they try to divide us, when they make us fight over resources, we're literally fighting each other over crumbs while they're sitting across watching that happen, eating a steak. So I just want to make sure when you hear those kinds of sentiments, please combat it, Please say that that's not our enemy. That's our ally and the fred Hampton approached, that's why he was so powerful and killed by the state. The fred Hampton approach said, let me go tell you everybody, including poor white people, how we can work together. So shout out to you for acknowledging saying that you had a question, so right, you didn't have a another guy, I had a question. I went back to a seat. So I want you to think, y'all.
Speaker 4: We have to get through this guy into it.
Speaker 1: But come on, come on up.
Speaker 23: The only other thing I wanted to add because I think as we look at the segmentation and I'm wearing this sweatshirt today that represents all of the black female leaders as it relates to Fortune one hundred CEOs and they sit and lead as directors of some of the largest global brands that we know. It's also understanding too, let's not leave out white women. And I say that because we haven't really talked about that as much.
Speaker 22: No, they laughing as this there's a podcast.
Speaker 5: You haven't been interrupted yet. I'm impressed. Well, you said, you.
Speaker 23: Know, we have to look at and she used the word ally. In my world, and especially in the space of business, I'm looking for accomplice, you know, because to me, you gotta be willing to go out there. And I was reading some articles and there's all this stuff out there about where and how you know, Jamie Diamond is privately supporting candidate Eggs and Bill Gates just gave fifty million to you know, candidate Eggs and all of these things being said, there is a principle in courageous leadership, right, and I think too as we look at where our great sister Jotikah Joetaica Edie sparked this whole catalyst around building community. To your point, Tiffany, we really need to hone in. They started the you know, white women for Kamala. You know same white women are underrepresented in leadership in corporate America. We need to find those commonalities to look at it for in the standpoint, by way of policy and by way of protocol and where and how we are changing thing systemic, inequities systemic and that's work, and that's work that means that we have to do it together.
Speaker 4: We better find them commonalities.
Speaker 6: After they find this chastising real quick, let me come here for this question, all right, So then yeah, just say your name and where you're from. And then y'all we are over time on this panel.
Speaker 4: We love y'all. We're gonna keep talking about this, but I do want to come here.
Speaker 11: How y'all doing.
Speaker 24: My name is Mario Raised, originally from the Bronx New York, calling Atlanta home in.
Speaker 9: New York's everywhere home to Atlanta.
Speaker 11: Thank you.
Speaker 24: I actually sit really knee deep in the trenches in Atlanta. When it comes to black men, I'm a board member here at TGS, I'm a board member with on Google, I'm a board member with black Man Lab, and I see about one thousand men faces weekly.
Speaker 11: And one of the.
Speaker 24: Things that has come up time and time again, so I'm gonna respectfully disagree with you brother that you guys have to fight very hard for the black male vote and it's because they feel betrayed by the Democratic Party. They don't feel like they represent them. And I also feel like this they've been taking for granted. So how can I, sitting in front of them, combat a lot of the misinformation that they've been fed time and time again. And just a follow up comment, I am Afro Latino. You know Bronx Bodiquehaile all day that being said, I. Colorism is pervasive in every community, of course, and I have to constantly remind my Latino brothers and sisters that just because their skin may be lighter don't mean that white privilege extends to them.
Speaker 9: And I'm often combatd with that.
Speaker 24: Furthermore, especially obviously black women, notwithstanding a lot of women in the Caucasian and Latino community are scared and don't believe America is ready for a female president.
Speaker 9: And I look at that kind of as cutting your nose.
Speaker 24: Off despite your face, right, And I guess my biggest question first is how do I come back to misinformation? Is there just a simple website where I could.
Speaker 1: See Well, I want to ask you, because you said black men feel betrayed by the Democratic Party. I want to be clear. We are not mouthpieces for the Democratic understand, but I am.
Speaker 4: A sure woman of our state Democratic woman to ever hold this position.
Speaker 20: And I hired the first black man to ever be the executive director of our state Democratic Party. And Kevin raise your hand, Kevin is here with us today.
Speaker 4: Are not overlooked on our watch.
Speaker 20: I am married to a black man, I'm raising my nine year old son to be a black man, and this is something we're in this together. I hear it all the time, and my pushback is, we're showing up to do the work, and it shows in the work that we're doing, not just the word of mouth that you'll hear in an election cycle. And I hear you, Angela, We're over time, and so I would love to connect you with Kevin so that we can get you those resources.
Speaker 24: Said something really specific that I want to touch on. You said, you show up and a lot of times, these great handles show up behind the gate, so people can't afford the gathering spots, so they're not privy to this conversation.
Speaker 4: And Ryan opened it up for everyone.
Speaker 20: So shut up to Washington Park on two days ago with the community for a barbecue and ballacy that with that the story not showing up here at the gathering spot, I mean open events for the community.
Speaker 4: I represent this community. I live in Southwest.
Speaker 20: Atlanta, and every day I am leading into in this community for the people that I serve.
Speaker 4: And I know that I cannot do this alone. It takes whole communities and.
Speaker 24: That includes this is such a big disconnect, and I would like to say I would like to offer myself to help men that thank you.
Speaker 1: I shouldn't do black men feel because I think this is such an important point you're making. I want to hear what do black men feel that they've been left out of or disrespected.
Speaker 24: By, but from the Democratic Party. I want to hear everything about, you know, financial progress, the way that the nuclear family is now propagated by because they feel this LGBTQ agenda that's being hijacked by the Democratic Party. These are conversations that I've heard seriously, and a lot of times black men say.
Speaker 9: What I've heard also is that they will hold their vote.
Speaker 24: In protest, which obviously, again is cutting your nose despite your face. So I want to be out here as a mouthpiece to help bridge these gaps in communication and misinformation.
Speaker 11: So that's just the first of all.
Speaker 5: Everything you said, it resonates.
Speaker 4: And the resident black man on the stage.
Speaker 7: We're not a monolith and we shouldn't be fighting a battle against what one person's experiences versus your own. And that extends to you, which is, uh, you're not every black man. Uh uh bronx bodiqua is what you said. But I know this much, there's not the gentleman that you're coming into contact with aren't lying about what they feel their experiences with the Democratic Party.
Speaker 5: They're speaking it as they have experienced it.
Speaker 7: And the truth is is that until Kamala Harris, I've never seen a president of the United States or candidate put out an agenda specifically for black men. Never ever within the Democratic Party, it's been a third rail by and large that the campaigns and candidates haven't gone to put black men first. In to name it, my philosophy with when you don't call something a thing, it ain't a thing.
Speaker 5: It is. How I tell you, one of my kids are at the pool.
Speaker 7: If everybody's watching, ain't nobody watching, which means I have to name it.
Speaker 5: I'm watching my three children as they play. So what I would say is that, yeah, we have problems within the Democratic Party.
Speaker 7: Yes there are champions who are trying to change that, but Kamala Harris, as a candidate standalone right now for president, has prioritized us and she's done it over the black man president.
Speaker 5: And I say that with.
Speaker 7: Respect of Barack Obama, because when he was asked what's the black agenda, he said, my agenda for America is the black agenda. And guess what there's an a black person I know that didn't benefit from health care when he changes.
Speaker 5: So in some ways he's right.
Speaker 7: But also in some ways the third rail wouldn't allow him to call out Look at what he said, what about Skip Gates coming in contact, He had to have a bear summit.
Speaker 5: It still came up on the short end of that.
Speaker 7: Look at what happened with Donald Trump, what he called him out is not an American, he's Birtherism and all that shit. It broke my heart when the President of the United States, at least his public birth certificate.
Speaker 11: Broke my heart.
Speaker 7: It still does when I think about it. Right, So, but the point is that we are making progress. We're in We're not the perfect, but we are in the pursuit of the better, in pursuit of the perfect. Kamala Harris is not the person we are to take our angst out on. She actually is in alignment with what it is that we believe ought to be the case. And we also shouldn't take our anks out against LGBTQ folks, black women, and the other folks that they tend to put us hit us against, because that's all deficit mentality.
Speaker 5: That's what white people have gifted us.
Speaker 9: I agree with your whole heartedly.
Speaker 24: And one of the things I've noticed that the squeaky wheels get the greased so they're the loudest. The those complaints are resound louder than the solutions and the actual policies. And a lot of times we speak in echo chambers. We speak to those that understand, that communicate on a certain level, versus the brothers that feel like because they can't understand and there is that disconnect, they automatically feel abandoned.
Speaker 7: But that's why we're talking with you, because the attention is is that you may have access to rooms that they won't have, so that you can take information back that they otherwise won't get access to. And I'll just simply say, there isn't a There is not a single website you can go to and get all of the debunking.
Speaker 5: It all depends on what the attack is.
Speaker 4: That one.
Speaker 5: It all depends on what the attack is. But I guarantee you.
Speaker 4: You cancl you toe.
Speaker 6: But sorry, Andrew, really quick, I wasn't talking about acl There's a gentleman.
Speaker 4: I don't know where he went. His name is Evan. He oh, Evan, where do you mean, I've been telling you to come up in Evan. I texted you and said come up here, Evan. Evan talked to this. What's your name?
Speaker 11: Brother, Mario?
Speaker 6: Mario Evan is working on a Fullton County specific website that deals with misinformation and how to combat is can you Wave Evan?
Speaker 4: He works for congress Woman macmeth as well.
Speaker 6: But the reason why this is important, what happened with Nakima is important. What happened with Andrew and what he's saying is important. Nakima and Andrew have had to take on the party themselves. This isn't just like, let's be honest, because we can't. What we can't do is win them over with lies. What the honest truth is. Democratic Party got just as many racists in it as the Republican Party. They also got fascism and other Now the folks, at least on our side, I think, are at least amenable to changing, in part because nothing, no power does it concedes nothing without a demand. They've been demanding. He demanded when he was running for governor. He demanded as mayor, he demanded as a commissioner, that those are the kinds of things that happen if we don't get in the room and say, oh no, no, this is going to change on my watch, it won't.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 6: I submit to you that it's a hell of a lot easier to do it within the Democratic Party than to be having that fight with the Republican Party.
Speaker 4: We gotta be well.
Speaker 9: Things was much better under Jim Crow.
Speaker 4: Okay, y'all know who I'm talking. Mom will leave me alone.
Speaker 9: I'm not gonna hijack.
Speaker 1: I appreciate your question. Thank you for that.
Speaker 4: We gotta you, guys, We gotta really get to this. Yes, Evan talked to him, and come really quick, tell us about his website.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then oh yeah, we'll go to your question as soon as you're gonna tell us about.
Speaker 4: This because it was about this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, informational quick, go ahead.
Speaker 25: Oh hello everyone, Hello, wonderful panel. Apologies for being late. I kind of got lost in viewer mode. Love you, guys. I I am with Watch the Vote at L is a collaboration between the Black Cross founded by Gail Brooks and George the Georgia Institute of Technology for their specific school for People and Technology. So what we have been doing is we have created a system where We use both machine learning and humans to track all the social media sites, so not just Facebook, not just Instagram. We also have accounts on True Social, We also have accounts on TikTok And basically what we'll be doing is we'll be doing real time fact checking on any tweet, any video, or any type of source that's sharing misinformation specifically for the Fulden County area, so we will be sending it directly to Fulton County's communications team. This project started because you know, eighty five percent of people this election feel like very scared of misinformation and a plug for the podcast. I actually got inspired to be a part of the project and helped start the project because of this podcast. I think on your third episode, miss Rye played a video about Biden being an AI deep fake, and I ended up calling my friends at tech in Fulden County and we were able to get it together. But yeah, so follow us at watch the v ATL if you want Fulton County specific information, we'll have it in real time. We're also looking for partners so other people that when we have these reports about misinformation, we can get it shared out widely as a way, you know, kind of taking a medical approach and a quarantine approach to it.
Speaker 1: So thank you, thank you, Welcome home, Welcome Home.
Speaker 26: My favorite podcast is twenty twenty four.
Speaker 11: I love you guys.
Speaker 26: As a certified financial social worker, I appreciate all the great work that you ladies do. I want to talk about picking back a conversation before as a social worker. My name is Basilisa Moreno. I'm also a Bronx bodyco I live in Delaware. Now we talk about I had the unfortunate having conversations of.
Speaker 9: Working explaining.
Speaker 26: Severely mentally ill clients back in twenty eighteen when Donald Trump cut food stamps. But why don't we talk about that? Why don't we use the language in twenty twenty when his disastrous COVID response and say he's got blood on his hands, He's killed a million people, one of them being my mom, one of them being ten clients when I worked in New York City. Why don't we have these conversations. Why don't we have the conversations of people are actually experiencingly like worse after COVID and the aftermath of COVID. That's one of my biggest problems with the Biden administration, as much as.
Speaker 5: I was riding with bout it all the way.
Speaker 26: Until election day and now the Harris, I'm still all the way. I still have the image in my hand as a Bronx bod Equa and him shooting fake ass free throws on the island, Like what the hell are you doing? We don't even have electricity having to call my family or try to reach my family. They don't even have electricity, and having like guys I went to high school with that are Hispanic and like voting for Trump high school friends who are black brothers that went to high school, we're voting for trouble. Like what are y'all doing? Fellow social because licensed social works that called them out. I was like, you need to have your license revoked if you vote that for that guy.
Speaker 5: What are y'all doing?
Speaker 26: Why don't we have these conversations? That's all I wanted to say, thank you, thank you, and.
Speaker 1: Our condolences on the loss of your mother and our gratitude for the work that you continue to do.
Speaker 7: So thank you for having those conversations, smartpactful.
Speaker 9: From you ladies.
Speaker 6: We gotta do a part two or this. We did not have enough time, and yeah, we talked me so much time. But thank you all so much. We're gonna getting your sister just in one moment. Thank you all so much.
Speaker 4: We are gonna bring up now if we can't give a round of applause. First to the Keema, Thank you, Arian, thank you for your work.
Speaker 9: Queens.
Speaker 4: We got a few more queens. They're joining us on the stage.
Speaker 6: We have Alicia Garza, who is the founder of Black Futures Lab. We have Latasha Brown, co founder of Black Voters Matter, and Aaron Haynes, a podcast host called The Amendment and also as they hug and kiss and not walk up here, Aaron is also editor at Large of The Nineteenth.
Speaker 4: They're gonna just say my time. I'm gonna take my time. Y'all want late.
Speaker 6: Oh, they're gonna walk over here and also disrupt apartment last time, y'all come over here and hug.
Speaker 4: Just stay till the end, Praise the Lord. Y'all gonna keep going.
Speaker 6: Okay, all right, you know what's just ask your question because they're not even sitting down Jesus, Yes, ma'am, you're naming.
Speaker 12: Where you're from.
Speaker 1: Wait, wait, wait, before Albert Sanders, Albert Sanders is leaving. I just want to give a shout out to Albert Sanders. Real quick, Albert.
Speaker 4: Sanders, we shouted you out on the podcast with Jibber Sanders. What are you doing to make sure that black people vote this selection? All the things he said, except and running out of the podcast. Okay, we'll still send us your notes my friends.
Speaker 27: Okay, yes, ma'am, Okay, I was trying to lower this. I'm so sure it was a little tall for me, so you'll fix it. So my name is Littoria Whitehead. I'm originally from Jacksonville, Florida, but I've been here for a little over twenty years and I'm not a family rattler, but I'm a cau Clarkland University panther a long time. Oh okay, okay, So my question was actually for the wonderful congress woman. I wanted to know in her opinion, do you think we're talking enough about environmental injustices during this election cycle, which is connected to jobs and poverty and transportation and housing as well. And we do talk about climate change climate justice, which is under the umbrella of environmental justice, I would argue, but I think that a lot of people think that the environment is something so pristine and out there, and it's not. It is connected to your child getting asthma and the pollution in your environment in Flint case study. And so when you look at the environmental injustices, these disparities, these are the majority of people of color and low income populations. So that's a part of our everyday lives when you walk out your door, your grocery stores, what you don't have and what we call the built environment. And I think a lot of people are not directly connected to that. And I'm just wondering what you thought about this election cycle that we are we talking enough about what we call environmental injustices.
Speaker 4: And I'm so happy to.
Speaker 14: See all of you.
Speaker 1: We definitely talk about it, Welcome home. We definitely talk about it, but it's not under the headline environmental justice. But with that hurricane coverage, that is environmental justice yesterday. There are over one hundred and thirty five million people in this country who mostly look like us, who do not have access to clean drinking water. If there were one hundred and thirty five million white folks who didn't have access to clean drinking water, it would be breaking news to this day every day until it's result when we talk about uh, like heavy rains and flooding, even outside of hurricanes, is weather that is environmental injustice. So we may not be using those terms, which we definitely should be, but we definitely in news, they definitely talk about it. They don't talk about issues that impact us disproportionately. That's the challenge.
Speaker 16: Yeah, and that is the piece.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we have three lovely guests who have joined us. Natasha, part of your work, you think about Black Voters Matter and how you all started Hurricane Katrina. And I think this goes hand in hand with what Tip was just bringing up. And tell me your name against sister Littoria, what Latoria was just addressing with environmental justice, talk to us about the important work that you all are doing every day, sis what you're hearing on the ground. We got into a good conversation with this brother earlier, as with Mario.
Speaker 21: I just want to say, hey, y'all, we welcome to the Atlanta So two things I wanted to say really related to what you just the system on what you just shared.
Speaker 28: One, well, let me let me let me do it backwards so we don't hear a lot about environmental justice. Part of my organization is doing work. We have a campaign that we're doing called the Block is Hot, and that's our environmental justice because we've got to connect environmental justice for many people, it feels or when you start talking about the environment, particularly the six major environmental organizations, they made it where it was like the protection of the trees, and we need trees, right, But people in their day to day lives they're like, yeah, I understand the trees, but I'm like I'm suffering. And so part of our organization we've done work and continue to do this work. We did this Block is Hot because down in South Georgia, people had electric bills that were six, seven, eight hundred dollars and they didn't make the connection of how the climate change is impacting them and impacting their pocketbooks. And so that's why we did this particular kind of education campaign around it. The connection to Hurricane Katrine. I'm from the Guff Coast a lot of my life and so part of before Black Govters Batle.
Speaker 3: Was started, Black Voters Battle was started.
Speaker 28: It wasn't necessarily organization, but we did a lot of hurricane relief because ultimately, what is happening in the Guff coast is that the guff water. As the water is getting warmer and warmer, you're having more intensified storms. And so you're going to have a more frequency of storms and they're going more intensified. And I know my brother Andrew can speak to that. But the second part that I wanted to raise to your point is part of right now, if I were to ask people kind of, let's look at the top three issues that are dominating the political landscape, what we're not really realizing is that many of those issues have already been predetermined by some folks, and we're hearing.
Speaker 5: It over and over and over and over again.
Speaker 28: And one issue would be how they framed abortion. You would think that everybody in America get up every day thinking about, oh my god, what is about abortion?
Speaker 9: Right now?
Speaker 28: That's a real valid issue, right, but it is framed because it really was an artificial issue in terms of frame to actually take downv way, but it was also to listit a particular kind of emotional response from folks, right so that people make a divided line on this particular one issue. And I'm saying that because oftentimes the issues that we're hearing are not issues that you're hearing from the ground.
Speaker 4: Or that people are really making their main issue.
Speaker 28: I can talk to people on the ground right now for five minutes, and I can tell you they listen to. I can almost tell you what podcasts they listen to. I can tell you what network they listen to. I can tell you whether they read or not right.
Speaker 9: And so part of.
Speaker 28: It is because oftentimes what we're seeing as issues and what we're responding to, we're responding to because those there are folks who are planting particular kind of ideas and issues and priorities of ideas and issues. The black male thing right around, black men are going to have this exodus one. It's racist as hell. I'll tell you in terms of just the very foundation of that, and I'll tell you why I say that. What's really interesting about that is that it's it's it's framed as with us as if all of a sudden, because what we white folks will do is they'll columbus us when they discover something, then all of a sudden, it just created. It just was founded, right, So, oh my god, the black men are upset and they're a disillusion hell. Black men have been upset like what you're talking about this ain't the first election cycle, right, This ain't the first time we've been disillusioned. Matter of fact, black folks in general don't necessarily excited about politics in America. That's not what we're excited about. We know all of them, like we just we're doing the best we can a survive. We're clear, right, And I'm saying that because I think it's framed as if it's like, you know, Columbus discovered America, right, even though the folks was already here, like.
Speaker 16: Oh there's black disillusionment.
Speaker 28: Oh it must be because of Kamala Harris, And then that becomes the narrative, that is, and then it's becomes an analysis about black men and this this black I'm at the top of the ticket. If there was real genuine interest, you would really get to the bottom of an analysis of why black men are frustrated, right, and why it is valid for them to frustrat it. But you want to talk about d you want to talk about is coma. And then unfortunately, because of us don't read, some of us don't read, and some of us are really getting our information in our thoughts not really having a critical analysis. We're taking what they're saying, and then we're responding. Now, now you got black folks.
Speaker 4: Running around saying that stop.
Speaker 28: It, y'all, stop it, right, unless you're literally talking to people and really doing this work and getting down to it. Part of what we do a black vote is matter. Part of our work is really around listening. When we first started, for seven months, Cliff and I it was the only two we literally went to seven states and listen to folks. And so I'm saying that, and normally I hate to say it, but this is the truth. Normally, the first answer people give us.
Speaker 16: Ain't never the real answer.
Speaker 5: It's really not.
Speaker 28: People would give you the quickest answer because we like to perceive.
Speaker 11: As we're small and we thoughtful.
Speaker 28: And so when we hear people on TV, when we see folks on the podcast where we read something, then if I give you I just heard over and over and over and over again that black men don't want to support this system. So I've heard that over and over again. I'm not really sat down and had an analysis or even really sat with that for a minute. So when you come to me and put a microphone in my face, guess what I'm gonna say. I'm gonna repeat the same thing that I've heard, I've seen on the internet that I've heard because I'm not really using a critical analysis or thought around that. I'm raising that because I think sometimes we're perpetuating something that really is not rooted in the real analysis. Is riddy And what's the quickest and the easiest kind of pundit point that we've gotten that some of this stuff has been placed in this in the some of this, y'all, all of these polls coming out from folks that we don't even know. You're doing a sampling pole of millions of folks with two hundred people come.
Speaker 9: On, right, And so a lot of that.
Speaker 28: There are poles, There are information that's literally being injected in our communities. And then we respond, we take it, we run with it, because what they're really doing is exploiting our pain, because the truth of the matter is we are disillusion The truth of the matter it is black men are upset, but they being upset now y'all just paying attention, and all of a sudden they just got upset because you're paying attention, right, and you're paying attention because you're forced to pay attention because now you're face to deal with gender and race. We've never had a circumstance in the presidential election that we had to deal with gender and race, dealing with gender and race just at the very just the best of the fact that there's a black woman at the top of the ticket. So my point is we've got to have a little bit deeper analysis around when people are coming to us with that information, what's the source of it, and why are you bringing it to me?
Speaker 9: Because now all of a sudden, you care about black men being.
Speaker 4: Upset, and so that's the thing.
Speaker 6: I want to go here for a moment, and at LEASTI I want to come to you because there's also another issue, the folks who dedicate their time and efforts and their own resources to ensure that black voices, Black voices are heard and black people are listening to to what LB was just saying, I think it's so important you founded Black Futures Lab to do just that. There was a black Did you guys hear about the Black census? Raise your hand if you heard about the Black Senses?
Speaker 3: So this okay, so.
Speaker 4: A lot of people in here, how many of y'all took the Black Senses don't lie. I'm gonna find out. I'm gonna look up your names on it. I'm just winning. I'm not gonna do that.
Speaker 6: But I think that it's important to just pause here for a moment to acknowledge that when black people do things for black folks, to ensure that black voices are heard and that black people's needs are met on a policy level, we don't damn participate. Okay, Hello, lights, Alicia, can you just weigh in on this.
Speaker 4: I think it's important that'sring me in. Wait, hold on?
Speaker 9: Can her mic?
Speaker 4: Can we please turn all these mics on? All right now? Please no hell because you can hear me.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, like hold it like this?
Speaker 5: Okay, there you go that.
Speaker 4: Sorry, y'all, I'm.
Speaker 1: Gonna get real.
Speaker 4: Eric being rock, Come on, hi, y'all get afternoon.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 29: We can talk about the Black Census, we can talk about the Black Futures lab.
Speaker 4: But I just want to.
Speaker 29: Say thank you, Natasha, because I think there is both a conversation about what we need to be doing with each other to stay connected, to stay focused, and to stay unified. There's also a conversation about what onslaught we deal with every single day. And that misinformation disinformation stuff is a real thing and we all getting caught up in it. So I want to appreciate you for raising that, and I want to appreciate you for raising it and saying not what you're going to do about it, but what can we do about it? I think you know, when we talk about the environmental racism thing, which where I want to sit that we got people out here saying there was no hurricane.
Speaker 3: No, no, we literally we.
Speaker 29: Have people out here saying that that was made up too. So I want to sit us inside of like a powerful vision for how we get free by having each other's back and staying connected. And that's really what the Black Futures Lab is about. I started that organization to be a political home for black people, to be a space where black folks can come, not have to know everything, not have to be you know, rocket scientists.
Speaker 3: But be able to get in a place where.
Speaker 29: You can get informed, where you can fight together for the things that we want and the things that we need on our terms, not created by somebody else's agenda for us. And the Black Census was our first project that was an opportunity for us to say, Okay, the Democratic Party is not going to speak for black folks.
Speaker 16: We can speak for ourselves.
Speaker 29: We reach two hundred and eleven thousand black folks with that Black Census. That's the largest survey of black people that's ever been done in this country's history. Let me say that again, that's ever been done in this country's history. But at two hundred and eleven thousand black people, can you believe that we've never done that before? That We've never talked to two hundred and eleven thousand black people from all fifty states, inside of jail, in prison, outside of jail in prison, all kind of backgrounds that you can think of. Can you imagine that we haven't done that before? And from that survey, what we did was we didn't tell you what to say, how to say it, whatever.
Speaker 1: We just asked, what do you care about?
Speaker 29: How do you see these people, how are you relating to these people?
Speaker 3: What are the issues that you care about?
Speaker 29: And I can tell you we said a year ago the number one issue for black folks.
Speaker 3: Is the economy.
Speaker 29: We said this a year ago, we said it four years ago, and people like, what is the most important issue for black people?
Speaker 10: Is it?
Speaker 29: We We were like, no, it's the economy, second most important issue for black folks, gun violence, third most important issue for black folks. Housing, affordable, accessible, quality housing. Now, those aren't the sexy things that people like to talk about, but those are the things that we go to sleep thinking about every night, and those are the things that we wake up thinking about every day. And so then the question becomes, okay, well, now you've got that information, what do you do with it? Well, we turned it into a policy agenda. We turned it into a Black agenda. We've done it twice. Now, go to Blacktothefuture dot org and you can see the Black Agenda that was designed from the Black census. That is all stuff that we said we care about. And then what we did was we just dug in and said, okay, well, what laws can you make around this? Okay, laws about how we care for each other? How many y'all are caring for parents and kids? Okay, that's a lot of us parents and kids. Okay, there's a lot of us out here right who are trying to figure out how do I pay my mortgage, how do I even get a place where I can rent. There's a lot of us out here actually talking about abortion but it's not our tenth issue because the way we're talking about it is, I got to have money to raise a family. I got to have money for health care. And then when we go and try to access health care, there's.
Speaker 3: Just one clinic with one doctor.
Speaker 4: When we go and.
Speaker 29: Try to access health care, right, we can't get it. Why Well, the governor in this state don't want to accept federal dollars so that the rest of us can have health care.
Speaker 4: That's a real thing.
Speaker 29: So we started this project in this organization to fight for us on our terms. We don't always have to be a part of the conversation that people shape. For us, always have to be inside of that comment. Do you like Kamala or do night like Kamala? That's not the conversation that people are having. The conversation people are having is why is gas so high? Why can't I get toilet paper at the supermarket? Why is there no supermarket in my neighborhood. So we got to stay in the right conversation.
Speaker 4: We got to stay in.
Speaker 29: The right story, and the Black Futures librially helps to try to do that.
Speaker 4: Speaking of stories, you gotta go ahead.
Speaker 1: No, I was a saying thank you, thank you.
Speaker 4: I'm not doing a good job at it today. I'm like we over time, Aaron.
Speaker 6: I want to come to you because Alicia brought up stories, just so you all know that the three down there and Tiff and I Andrew can be honorary since he got his Rattler shirt on, and we do claim our brothers. We do not disconnect from our brothers, but we represent half of the Machetes.
Speaker 4: For those of whose listening a podcast, you heard.
Speaker 6: About us Ganggang all day, Aaron, So I want to come to you. Speaking of stories, Aaron is one of the funniest writers in history, right, It's the best funny text and tweets and all the things. I can't wait till she go to Hollywood and breaks away from the nineteenth.
Speaker 4: You should be a Hollywood writer. She really is that good.
Speaker 6: So if she's unfiltered today, y'all might get some of it in her answered, Aaron, you're talking to Mike.
Speaker 4: Why you whisper it?
Speaker 3: I'm like, but are you reading the journalism?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 30: I mean yes, I'm hilarious, but I mean I got a newsletter, I got a podcast.
Speaker 3: I'm not hearing these elections story.
Speaker 4: When you were hugging. You didn't hear any of it, but I did say all of that in your intro. Man, So I want to come to you though, speaking of the stories.
Speaker 3: I'm writing stories when I'm not cracking jokes. It's true.
Speaker 4: Yes, she writes the stories, all the stories.
Speaker 6: So can you tell me the headline that you envision writing the night of the election.
Speaker 3: I can tell you the headline she would have.
Speaker 4: Let me get to my question.
Speaker 30: You see the headline that the headline that is in my mind that I cannot write on election day.
Speaker 3: And this is regardless of who is y'all aint gonna believe this shit.
Speaker 12: Either way.
Speaker 3: Either way, it goes like that could.
Speaker 30: Be a headline that someone could use. I don't know if it's going to show up somewhere. If it does, just know you heard it here first. No, but I mean.
Speaker 3: That's actually a real thing.
Speaker 12: Actually, that's where I'm at.
Speaker 3: That's where I'm at.
Speaker 12: Today's out people, That's where I'm at.
Speaker 3: But no, I mean, look, I think.
Speaker 30: I am reminded listening to both Alicia and Latasha. We have to listen to voters in this moment. I love elections, I love covering elections. I love you know, covering candidates, but hearing from voters about the things that they care about, about what their daily lives are like, and how that is impacting how they may or may not participate right at the ballot box, Like that matters, and that is not what we are seeing in too much of our journalism, which is literally the reason that the Night eighteenth exists.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 3: We started our newsroom.
Speaker 30: Four years ago, a week before the Iowa CAUCUSUS this is now our second presidential election, and listening to voters about the things that.
Speaker 3: They care about.
Speaker 30: Yes, we'll tell you that the economy is the top issue for people that we are centering, women, people of color, LGBTQ plus people, the disabled community, the caregiving community, listening to those people about the things that are affecting their daily lives.
Speaker 3: And also, what do.
Speaker 30: You mean when you say the economy is your number one issue? Because that looks different for different people. We have an economy, we have an environment and gender reporter. Why because we know that gender is I mean, people are disproportionately impacted by gender as it comes to the environment. Everybody's environment is not created equal, right, and your environment sucks in a lot of cases depending on where you live. We're talking about hurricanes Hell, Flint, Michigan is still not solved. Right. That is in centering to Latasha's point, not just nature or buildings, which is what the majority of white folks who are ps, the majority of the people who cover the environment in journalism, that's what.
Speaker 3: They care about.
Speaker 30: People of color care about the people that are being impacted by climate change. And so that's what we mean we talk about. We can't talk about environmental justice for a building, right, we need to talk about what that means in terms of people. The reproductive rights issue that Alicia mentioned right like that is we are talking about reproductive rights is an economic issue. That is what we are hearing from people. We are talking about abortion. What does it mean when a clinic closes for people in the LGBTQ community who are getting gender firm and care, they can't get that care because that clinic has gone.
Speaker 3: Now, what does it mean when you have abortion?
Speaker 17: Man?
Speaker 30: People are flooding into other states, flooding into the er. Now are people who may or may not have insurance who need to show up at the r can't get in because they can't be seen because this abortion ban is sending people in droves to states where it's still safe to get care.
Speaker 3: You don't know that kind of stuff.
Speaker 30: You wouldn't know a lot of that stuff watching cable news right now, reading a lot of the stories in some legacy traditional mainstream outlets, because those people are not spending time with people on the ground, They're not hearing from people on the ground, and so that matters. And that is where the Nineteenth has remained focused in this election. And that is I mean, like, we just have to continue to talk about the issues. And that is beyond election day. By the way, right as people are governing, whoever we elect on November fifth, like, paying attention to how they govern, making sure that they govern in the interest of the emerging small d democratic majority of this country matters And so those are the kinds of stories that we are committed to tell. We know that race and gender are not just a storyline of our politics and democracy. They are the storyline. And so that is that is what we are committed to. I'm sorry that that wasn't funnier. I'll be funnier on that.
Speaker 9: You started.
Speaker 4: You start off funny, So do you guys know where over time, so we really quickly.
Speaker 2: Well come, well come, welcome, welcome, welcome.
Speaker 6: Miss Lawrence, my good friend, Miss Lawrence is gonna ask a question, make a statement. But we have Quentin James, who is I'm here from the Collective Pack.
Speaker 4: What are you telling me?
Speaker 17: Oh?
Speaker 4: John Taylor is here as well. John Taylor is joining us, right? Is that what's happening? Okay, ladies, I love you, we need lady love you.
Speaker 1: We're out of here.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 4: When one of y'all say, we got two of them, two of them got to sit down up like, well all right, no, I.
Speaker 5: Don't say y'all can say that then stage, I'll move to the neee he.
Speaker 4: Said, don't leave, but you just got to get off the stage. Please. We love y'all. We need these shares for John Taylor, who is the co founder of Blackmail Initiative. Y'all, we have to be done in six minutes. What are you telling me? But yes, and Quentin, nobody is obedient. You can stay up here. Alicia says she's gonna stay right here. Okay, I love you says that is just fine. You are always welcome. They can they won Hi, John and Quinton, Hello, Okay, so you're closing us out. What y'all gouts say something to it?
Speaker 11: If you haven't, oh, I'll be real quick.
Speaker 5: My name is Quintin James.
Speaker 31: I'm the co founder and president of the Collective Pack, also the Votes to Live Action Fund and Votes Live Foundation.
Speaker 11: I got a resource for you all.
Speaker 31: A lot of people are talking about who to vote for, why to vote and all that, and that's really important. I have a resource for you all. Please go to vote to Live dot org. We're providing free ride share vouchers folks to go and vote early round trip uber go go early between now and election day. That's what I'm here to say. All right, make your voice heard however you think you need to do, but show up and vote right now. We are running about three percentage points behind in Georgia in terms of our black early voting targets.
Speaker 5: So is this specific to Georgia or is it.
Speaker 31: It's in about ten states? But here in Georgia it's live now some states don't.
Speaker 5: Can you say the ten? Just because yes?
Speaker 31: Again votes live dot org. We are running this program in Florida, in Georgia and North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin, Texas, Arizona, and Nevada and also Maryland. So any one of those states go to votes who live dot org you can get a free voucher to go and vote early between now and.
Speaker 6: November fifth, John, you have are you're coming at this from a unique man. Of course, we just had Latasha Brown on the stage who also is involved in canvassing efforts getting out and talking to our folks. Please talk to the audience and to us a little bit about some of the tremendous canvassing efforts that you're engaged in.
Speaker 11: Absolutely, good afternoon, everybody.
Speaker 17: First of all, I'm John Taylor Black mel Initiative fun founder, co founder Black Men Bill number of networks that we do on ACRON around the country. In this moment, I have about six hundred and fifty canvas was on the ground right now. They've been kicking since July first. We knocked over one hundred and fourteen thousand doors for the primary, had over twenty two thousand conversations with voters in Georgia. As of today, we have done nine hundred and five thousand attempts on doors, not just in Atlanta, Columbus, Macon, Millageville, Augusta, ALLBENNI majority of my crew we call them way In's. They're young black folks on the ground under the age of thirty. My director and number two of the organization is twenty five years old. He's not here right now because he's doing a voter or L's Voter or die Bus tour with Marvin Ban and them. So the reality is we've talked about one hundred ninety five thousand Black men, women people of color across the state of Georgia. These are black men and women and people of color who are listed as infrequent, low propensity, low value voters. I don't mean the not one hundred and ninety five thousand people we talk to. That's them too, I mean the six hundred and fifty canvassers that we employ. We are proving that black men are not apathetic, we're not lazy, we're not disengaged.
Speaker 11: Not only do we care, but we're critical thinkers. The other thing, thank you.
Speaker 17: Tasha, because I love Natasha Brown like fat folks love cake. It is one thing to drive a wedge into our community and say black men and black women have a problem with each other. It is another thing to tell the lie that we don't show up for each other. Latasha Brown been showing up since for brothers, since brother's been here. Black men care about black women. We support and respect the leadership of black women. We all came from a sister. We know what it means to be in right relationship with a sister. These brothers that are on doors knocking having these conversations are not afraid of what it looks like to have a black.
Speaker 11: Woman as president.
Speaker 17: My grandmama been telling me what to do my whole life, and she ain't never told me wrong.
Speaker 11: Black women have great knowledge and wisdom.
Speaker 17: That is not the same as black men not trusting systemically the problems that we face.
Speaker 11: In a country where it does not matter who's president, we die. It does not matter who elected. We go to jail.
Speaker 17: It does not matter who gets elected or appointed to Congress. We still get arrested. No matter where I go, handcuffs follow me. Not because I'm a danger, a threat, a problem, aggressive, or any of those things. It's because the narrative is that somehow I'm a problem. So no matter how articulate, beautiful, powerful, intelligent we are, we find ourselves on the wrong side and out in with this. Never in the history or running have you ever seen six people in a foot race, and the second person in the foot race is the one that you boom.
Speaker 11: Well, that's what y'all do to black men.
Speaker 17: Not y'all in this room, but as a society structurally, black men have been the second largest progressive voting block since the inception of voting for us in this country. Yet somehow we're always the reason and the problem.
Speaker 11: We don't win. It's not us.
Speaker 17: So our message is there's nothing wrong with black men. As a matter of fact, there's everything right about us. And when we connect with sisters, there's everything great about us. And when we do the work that we do on the ground, not only will we break a million doors, but we will turn out. Because it's sixty seven percent strong approval from our data, it's another fifteen percent week to moderate approval.
Speaker 19: If you do maths.
Speaker 17: She broke eighty four y'all, less than five percent undecided.
Speaker 11: Y'all, I'm not telling you.
Speaker 17: About what some poster said. That's one hundred and ninety five thousand conversations you could take.
Speaker 11: To the bank.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much. Really quickly, we have a former Congressman Cedric Richmond here. Sedric, can you just join us really quickly. We're having this really important black men moment.
Speaker 6: John, that was divine which you just shared. I just want to acknowledge that as well. Thank you so much for your work. Congressman Cedric Richmond for Congressman, also a White House senior advisor. Be careful, please don't slide off that stage.
Speaker 4: That scared me.
Speaker 6: He is a co chair of Kamala Harris's campaign, and I just wanted you to give us some closing words before we wrap up.
Speaker 12: Is you ever mine?
Speaker 11: First all, let me thank you all for what you do.
Speaker 32: Good to see Andrew and Tiffany and Tiffany, But I was gonna say at some point I was gonna say something specific about Andrew because we were talking about brothers and knocking doors. I went down the campaign for Andrew because I believe in him and his leadership and what he has done. So thank you for everything in Tiffany and Angela, y'all are my bantering partners. We argue like sister and brother because we love each other like sister and brother. Let me just thank you all for what you're doing and thank you for having me. Look, this is gonna be a close race. We always said it was.
Speaker 19: Going to be close. But the struggle in the fight for us, it's what we've always done.
Speaker 32: I will tell you don't get too excited or interested in polling because the first part of a poll is you have to predict who's going to show up. And they never predict we're going to show up. But when you see people in this room like this, you know we're going to show up. And I have since I've been running for office since nineteen ninety nine, I have one way of telling when we're gonna have turnout, high turnout. I get older black men and black women come up to me and whisper in my eart Cedria, what are we gonna do about turnout. When they're doing that, it means they're also calling their daughters and their grandkids and they're saying, go out and vote, and you will see that excitement. But what we've seen in this race is just the climax of foolishness. We keep holding Kamala Harris to some standard of she needs to be, you know, at genius level.
Speaker 11: And she's running against it.
Speaker 32: Kids stuck in his terrible threes that just keeps making stuff up. I mean it is when I say climax and foolishness.
Speaker 11: It's crazy.
Speaker 32: This dude's on TV tumbo. I'm not going to tax overtime pay. But in Project twenty twenty five they said I'm gonna get rid of overtime. So you're actually right, you're not going to overtime paid because you're gonna get rid of it. He said, I have concepts of a plan, and all of a sudden, no matter what Kamala Harris does, they're just gonna keep moving the goalposts. But the truth of the matter is we're not trying to please the political pundits. What we're trying to do is answer the Janet Jackson question of what have you done for me lately? And the answer to that is, we've increased black wealth by sixty and forty thousand new homeowners. We've created a bunch of jobs, not black jobs, we created sixteen million jobs, and we've closed the racial wealth gap.
Speaker 19: Now we still have a long long way to go. And then the other question is what's in it for me?
Speaker 11: Why bother?
Speaker 32: And so when we talk about black males and we talk about black women, we owe them answering the question.
Speaker 19: Why bother? And what's in it for me it is.
Speaker 32: There's nothing wrong with challenging your elected officials in saying, what's in it for me, what's in it for my common unity, what's.
Speaker 11: In it for my family?
Speaker 32: And so that's what you heard from black men, and rightfully so they should ask, and rightfully so we produced an agenda to answer their question because they deserve the respect of knowing. And so in closing, that's why I think it's gonna be a close race, but I think we're gonna win, and in fact, I would not be surprised if we won all of the battleground states. So you know, I'm bullish on Georgia, and that's because I'm a more house man. I'm bullish on North Carolina, especially if you look at the Baffoon running for governor there. I'm bullish on Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin. But guess what, We're gonna go to Arizona, Nevada, and we're gonna win there too. So I'm not telling you all to do like my family's doing and start texting about out inauguration tickets and stuff, because you never go by the drapes and cut the grass before the closing. So we have to close this election, and my grandmother would always say, the law will auter your steps, but you got to move your feet. And so come election day, we're going to have to make us move our feet. And for those who didn't vote early, we're going have to show up and show out on election day and look, vote early. You know, back in the day in Louisiana, we would say vote early and vote often. And I want anybody accuse me of saying that, I'm just telling you what the politicians used to say. But the fact that you're here should give you some comfort that we know the stakes of this election. And I just want to thank this group for all of the work they do, not just during election time, because this is the easy time, but to bring real conversations, real guest and facts and passion in and out straight to the black community with no filter is important.
Speaker 11: And so thank you all for what you're doing.
Speaker 32: Look, offering yourself a public service is never easy, and to do that, we do it for kids, families and people will never ever know. But it's not about politics, it's not about profits, it's not even about party.
Speaker 19: It's about purpose.
Speaker 32: And at some point somebody is going to be appreciative that the Lord allowed me to walk this earth. And that's how Kamala Harris feels. She wakes up every day fighting and for anybody you know who really questions her, she is HBCU through and through. Whoa slow down? I mean, that's why I didn't name the HBCU. She is HBCU threw and through and she can fight with the.
Speaker 19: Best of them.
Speaker 32: So, like my grandpa used to say, if you see her fighting a bear, help the bear because she's gonna be all right.
Speaker 11: So let's go out and help her. Let's win this election.
Speaker 1: That bear alone.
Speaker 11: I didn't say help for orange bear.
Speaker 19: I just said help no bears.
Speaker 22: Please.
Speaker 5: A beautiful place to end, y'all.
Speaker 7: I know it's felt like rapid fire, but can we give it up for this closing panel and stuff conversation, And we also want to thank our listeners who are on the other side of these cameras.
Speaker 17: You know.
Speaker 7: Uh they say polls are predictive, but the only one that matters, right is election day. Uh, those that are counted. I remember being running fifth out of fifth the weekend before the primary election in Florida and being one out of five on election night at its close. So we get to determine who who wins, who becomes the next president, and we'll fight whatever fight is necessary. After that, y'all, there's only one thing left to do is say.
Speaker 1: Wait, wait one second, we have another Oh we have a special I thought say we had a bether guest. We might have no ho, I think we do and we don't. Maybe you guys don't know. But tomorrow is Angela Rye's birthday.
Speaker 5: Happy birthday.
Speaker 1: Oh and some of our Machete sisters could not be here today, but they could not let the day go by without wishing her a happy birthday. So let's roll that tape.
Speaker 8: Angie Rye, Happy birthday, girl, wishing you the most fabulous, fun, fierce and phenomenal birthday ever because you deserve it, because you are such a dear sister, friend, so genuine. So they're not just for your people, but for the people. So I just respect and love and adore you so much.
Speaker 1: You know, Hey, sister, I hope that you're having the very best day.
Speaker 12: We love you so much.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry I can't be there in person to celebrate your birthday.
Speaker 33: But Angela, you are chief of staff to the Blacks, just like Tiffany says all the time, but you are also chief of staff to so many of our hearts. You make us feel loved and mothered, cared for, and always thought about.
Speaker 9: We love you, We love you, We love you.
Speaker 3: Happy Birthday.
Speaker 34: I love you so much, sister. I think that you deserve to be celebrated for your excellence every single day of the year. But because today is your special born day, I am celebrating you. I am saying I'm so bummed I cannot be there, but I love you big, I love you deep. I love you hard like we go together.
Speaker 12: So five, So God that you're aundlive.
Speaker 5: Hey, you look real great. So people are gonna hate.
Speaker 12: Hey, keep doing what you do because they really needed you. Hey, this is your year.
Speaker 11: So that's toasting.
Speaker 4: Cheer wo.
Speaker 5: Website lady, other birthday.
Speaker 12: We love you, Angela.
Speaker 3: You are such a beautiful person inside and out.
Speaker 30: You do so much for the culture, for your family, inspire assault to be better people, and I just pray that you have the happiest birthday.
Speaker 8: I love you.
Speaker 35: What's going on Native lamp Pod family. It is your cousin, doctor David J. John's Angela, Teresa Rye. I'm so very thankful for the gift of you. I pray that this next turn around the sun brings you an abundance of everything, love, joy, everything that you've been dreaming of.
Speaker 11: And that's some because you deserve that and more. I love you.
Speaker 19: I look forward to celebrating with you soon.
Speaker 1: Now we're doing that. We don't do that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, happy bir.
Speaker 36: Yeahe early happy Yeah, happy Boday.
Speaker 4: Okay, we gotta love you.
Speaker 1: Let yourday about.
Speaker 4: Twenty minutes, says somebody else got to be in this room. You ain't got your goe.
Speaker 3: You got to get and we thank you you all.
Speaker 1: Welcome home, y'all. Thank you so much. That is go vote, go, go vote.
Speaker 4: Thank you y'all. I love you, dee. Thank you. My birthdays tomorrow so I'll do this all again tomorrow. Thanks.
Speaker 37: Thank you for joining the Natives intentional with the info and all of the latest rock gulum and cross connective to the statements that you leave on our socials. Thank you sincerely for the patients. Reason for your choice is clear, So grateful it took to execute rooms. Thank you for serve, defend and protect the truth.
Speaker 3: He went the pace.
Speaker 11: We welcome home to all of the natives.
Speaker 3: We thank you Welcome Home, y'all.
Speaker 1: Welcome Native Land Pod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.