Speaker 1: I feel like we're gonna be Oprah and Ava Duvarney ten years from now. You're gonna be the one with the big like you're gonna own half of Hawaii and you're gonna invite me for my forty fifth birthday and treat me too.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Now we retreat. Yes, it's time for the.
Speaker 3: Big a q a A the b a q A what you say? The Big a q eight with Manday, The Big a q eight with tip to day A. You guys got a little pre clip. I actually liked that. I felt like we should do that, like a pre clip of conversation before the baqa intro song, so you can get.
Speaker 1: A little here, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I feel like I like that that was cute or whatever. So welcome to the b a qa where you have questions and we have answers. This one is different though, because we're doing a hot seat swap. So last b a q A if you did not listen to it, Mandy was in the hot seat and I asked her question, and my questions really revolved around negotiating and how I can confidently ask for more and in a way that like you know that I feel empowered, but that people actually give you my money, and many gave me some unmersing advice that actually has worked since then, it's been a week and if you know anything about me, oh, I'm going to execute. So yeah, it was just great. So go ahead and go listen. It was really helpful. And now this time I'm in the hot seat. But if you want to be in the hot seat before Mandy starts asking me questions, if you want to be in the hot seat, so what can I do?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 3: If they want to be in the hot seat.
Speaker 1: So when we say hot you mean we want to We want you guys. We want ba fam here live with us and the dude so you can ask us your ba Q and A questions live. So in order to do that, we need you to send us a DM on Instagram. This is a special. Don't just write out your question. We want you to actually send a voice note or a video and if you don't know, ask a tween age a tween anger that you know, or google it or whatever you'll figure it out. Okay, send us your question via voice note or video and we will select the best questions and we will you may get an invite to come live in the virtual studio and tape with us for our special Friday baq and A.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So virtually, you know, because some people are like we all under study. I'm like, virtually so and then that means you can ask me and Mandy your business questions, your career questions, your personal finance question or just anything in between. And so I'm so excited about that. So this time is my time. So let me just get myself.
Speaker 1: Okay, maybe you got to ask Oh my goodness, okay, yeah. By the way, I'm cheating because like I always ask Tiffany these kinds of questions, but usually we're gonna try. I'm like, we only have thirty minutes. Oh lord, Usually were on the phone for like two hours, and I still don't feel like I got enough.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Tip. So, as you guys know, I have been running my business now for a little a year and a half year and some change, and I focus on I originally focus on career coaching. I am now based on some guidance from Tiffany and also just sort of seeing where the where am I superpower has emerged? Like what makes me different? I am niching down and I'm going even further and identifying myself as a negotiation expert, not just a career coach, which I do and I do well, but an actual negotiation expert. So, Tiff, what I wanted to talk to you first is like, what are some lessons about niching down that you think have been pivotal to your business success? And do you think that it's smart of me to start niching down in this way even further from like career expert, but really as like a negotiation expert.
Speaker 3: So I learned the niche Down lesson when in the beginning, like so many entrepreneurs, it's like I do everything for everybody, you know, and it sounds great because it's like I have a big audience. But what happens is psychologically the potential customer does not see your full value. Right. So imagine, like what's your favorite food that you let to eat? Oh? What type of food? Like Greek? All right? Bus? Okay? So like Spanish? Like was that Dominican food?
Speaker 1: That's Venezuelan.
Speaker 3: Venezuelan, Okay, So you love Venezuelan food. And if I said, Mandy, let's go out to eat, you know I'm in the mood for Venezuela and alongside with you, should we go to this Venezuelan restaurant or should we go to this this buffet that also serves Venezuelan food. Which one would you choose?
Speaker 2: I would choose the Venezuelan restaurant, right because why because the assumption is you folk that restaurant focused specifically on Venezuelan food, meaning they're going to bring you the best possible food outcome, because that's all they do.
Speaker 3: The buffet is although they might have general good, there are a general food places. And so if you're wanting customers that are going to cling to you and say you are my go to, you can't be a buffet business, you know, because then you're gonna get customers who are indecisive. I want a little bit of this, a little bit of that Mandy could do or anybody else could do, because any buffet will do if you're just looking for general food. But if I want Venezuelan food, I'm going specifically, like we're calling Vezezuela food, like negotiating. If I want negotiating advice, I go specifically to Mandy because that's what she does. Versus another coach who coaches in all things. Now, here's what makes it special them. In the beginning, niching down is critical because you're wanting to connect, like you want to have this visceral connection with your audience, and you do that being very by being very specific. But you're not gonna stay there forever because ideally what you're wanting is you want to really grow what I call a tree business. So a tree business is a business that grows a really strong root and one core thing. I am the budget east, a budget budget, budget, budge budget, and I grew such a strong route, such a strong trunk in that tree. If you're watching on YouTube, which you should be, you'll see my hands. So this is a tree trunk, such a strong tree trunk, and budgeting budget and budget budgeting. Over time, I got to branch off into these strong branches into I also talk about credit and dead and I have books online school. You see what I mean. Nike was just a running sneaker and now you can buy Nike, Nike watches, Nike t shirts, Nike apps. But if Nike opened with that from the very beginning, they would be a bush business. You know how bushes grow, They spot very quickly and their branches are brittle and they stunt their own growth. And so that's why I told you that, like get really really clearly and a niche down. But it doesn't mean you'll be niche forever. But you are growing the tree trunk that people will come to know, love and trust you for. So then you can branch out into these stronger branches because they're like, oh is that Mandy from the negotiating thing that I love so much? Oh, she also has and she has and she has and she has and she has versus you know, like you're like the corner store with that's selling chicken chains and you know and bootlegs. Yeah exactly, and so so yeah, that's why I like, that's the big lesson. That's why I told you to start from that place, because you will set yourself apart as a specialist.
Speaker 1: Thank you for reminding me of that of that point. And I love the tree trunk analogy. I feel like we need to like compile and make a book out of all these beautiful like like horticulture analogies that fit so well with business and no, but for real, because because even though I remember I'm like niche and you hear a lot of things. A lot of people are like, you know, riches are in your niches even though you don't pronounce anyway, and Niching down and how important it is, and of course you've told me that as well. You can sometimes like your mind gets in your own way, and even just today I'm like, oh, but wait, I do this and that too. But I'm like, yeah, you just reminded me, Like that's okay, focus on the negotiating, making that the tree trunk, because I haven't had that one pillar of greatness of excellence until I started to lean into negotiating. I definitely had a lot of like great feedback as a career coach, but to actually like be able to articulate my value and build trust with the community, to be the go to and build that trust in that one skill set, then I feel like and you reminded me that, okay, of course, like they would then trust me for what I think is also important professional branding, interview skills, you know, all of the other components of a holistic career approach. So okay, Niching Down, I'm gonna remember the branch and the I mean sorry, the trunk and the branches all right, fabulous. So you know, and you guys who are listening probably know, I'm working on a book proposal. I'm so close to being done, yay. So I've been working with a coach since June and it's been wonderful. Her name is Rachelle, and it's been really helpful to have that accountability to actually get this stage of the process done because at this point in my business, no one, like people are not knocking down my door begging me to write a book. So I have to actually propose a concept for a book and then like you know, take that to an agent and then to a publisher. But I'm already, of course, thinking of I'm manifesting that I'm going to get a book deal, and I know with get good with money sort of being there a little bit to watch your journeys. How important it is not about just like selling that book when it hits shelves, but like the six months before that pre selling, Yeah, the pre ordering and that strategy. So I know it's maybe a little premature because I've just you know, finished my I'm almost the old the book proposal, but I don't have a book deal yet, But I would love if you can talk a little bit about the strategy that helped you propel Get Good with Money in those six months pre ordering that pre ordering phase to become the national bestseller that it eventually did.
Speaker 3: New York Times, Well, who's counting for eight weeks?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, sorry New York Times. No.
Speaker 3: But honestly, I'm glad you said that. And honestly, Mandy, I'm going to say, I'm going to share this with you. I'm gonna I am so one of my menties her book comes out next year and nextually was talking to like one of my friends who she has a huge book. If I said her name, you'd be like, what a'sk your friend? But she has a huge book coming out, and so my MENSI I was coaching her for the last like three months, just off gp about her book and what to do. And I gave her all of the notes that my team and I had. I added her to our Slack channel that we had. She went through created a spreadsheet called and it says T minus seven months, We're literally what we did month by month by month by month. I was like, girl, thank you could. So I was gonna give that to you, just so you know, people who are listening. I know, not sorry not to you. I'm gonna get that to Mandy because I'm gonna give that to my mentees, like you know, I have like my mentor Tiffany dot com. So I'm gonna give that to my mentees there, but I'm gonna give it to you so you have it. So because just to start to look, because it's like so even I was like, we did that, we did that. So but here's some core things. So at the it's most basic. As soon as you know your book name, go buy it. Manny knows my pet Peeve is get that damn domain. It's ten dollars from go Daddy, like don't let somebody else. And if you can't get your domain, slap book on it. So Get Good with Money was taken. But as soon as I knew that was the name of my book, Go Daddy actually has this great feature where for like sixty bucks, they will negotiate on your behalf to buy the domain. So I had to buy mine. I think I paid twelve hundred, but it was worth it and if I couldn't get it, I was just going to get I think I had already bought like Get Good moneybook dot com, Like that's you know, your slap book on the beginning or the end of it. For the most part, you could probably get your domain. So get your domain. It seems simple. But the thing I see now is that that's going to help with marketing so much because if you're just saying click the link in my bio or go buy on Amazon, that is not going to be helpful. Because in order to make national bestsellers lists, they like to see that you're a true national bestseller. They want to see that you have book sales in different places. Target is selling your book and people are buying, Bars and Nobles is selling your book and people are buying certainly Amazon, they know that's the biggest chunk. But if all your book sales come from Amazon, then you're not likely to make the list. So if all you're doing is sending people to Amazon, you're cutting yourself off. So get your domain. So also too something to think. So you should be doing thinking about now because it might take a while build that basic website. You know, like if you look at get good money dot com, we're not geniuses. My publisher and certainly your publisher might help. They gave me like a four or five other book sites that tend to do well, and so I took and I made an amalgamation of all the aspects of that site that really worked. And so and that's how like I had my book person, my my developer make get Good with money dot com. So if you go there, everything there is on purpose to like get people to go and figure out what book they want to buy, you know, where they want to purchase a book from all those things. Okay, so that's two. Make sure you're you know, you're having your buy your domain, get your your website, start building that because I might take some time. Uh Three, these are some basic things and I've because honestly, I'm actually working on a checklist, Mandy. So as soon as I finish it, like almost like a startup checklist, I'll share that with you too, like before, during, and after the book comes out. Checklist that like every author friend I know should know. You know, because I was talking to my friend, my big time friend whose book is coming out, and it sounded very overwhelming the things I was telling her, and I was like, Tiffany, this is two much. You need to just come up with a checklist, even if it's thirty things like okay, before the book comes out, do this during when the book is here, like you know, during launchtime and then after so I'm working on that and I'll give you that too. Okay, So so something else that's super simple. It seems simple, but people forget go to Amazon and create an author page. You know, this is really important. My publisher told me this. You create an author page because you're gonna want, like to get people to follow it, so Amazon can then let people know who are interested in you, Hey, your book is coming out. You know that takes off because Amazon will literally pay people like, hey, your book is coming out. Hey, Mandy, who you're following? Books is coming out? So it seems simple. But yeah, just creating an author page on Amazon?
Speaker 1: Can I do that before I get a deal? Though? Probably?
Speaker 3: You know, so probably for you because I already I had some self published books before. Yeah, you know, so see how long, like how it's going to work for like how I mean you might want to google? How far advanced can I create an author page? You know what I mean? Okay, So, just because like I said, I had, like you know, I had a ton of self published books, so it was easy for me to I already have because I already had an author page, but I didn't know how important that was something else. Yeah, yeah, I didn't, honestly, like, there's so many things I learned when I tell you, that's why I said I need to create this checklist because the spreadsheet is it can be a little overwhelming, although it's really great and detailed. Just a basic checklist for those people who don't want to do all of that. Because I did all the things. Something that really helped ahead of time, too, is create your street team. So I called my street team my DC for drink Catchers, my DC five hundred, and so what that is it's a group of anywhere from fifty to no more than five hundred. Five hundred was just because my audist is really large, but fifty to five hundred folks who are committed to helping you to get the word about the book. But here's the thing, that's not how you're going to ask them. Because when we first said, hey, DC five hundred, who wants to help Tiffany promote the book? Nobody cared because I liked, okay, people are busy, So instead I said, hey, books coming out a few months as a big thank you. I want to say thank you. Although I can't do it for everyone, but for five hundred dream Catchers, I'm going to give you the digital version of the book for free upfront. Now it's a specific type of copy where it's a link that the publisher gives you that on the back end they can turn off after thirty days sixty days, so they don't get to keep it forever. But still you get to get the digital version of the book. You get to you get a discounted version of the You get a discount discount on the book when it first comes out that no one else gets. I was also sending my bracelets with it. It comes to like your book, only your book for these people in the group will come with a bracelet. I'm going to be going live with y'all throughout the process of teaching you guys these behind the scene financial tips or whatever. It was like a list of and I could share. I'm trying to think that I share with my mentees. If I haven't shared, I'm gonna but I'll share that with you the email that I sent. And the thing is I did this also for the Netflix special. We have a five hundred group people there, and and so what you do is you pour into them ten things and you ask for one. Hey, guys, like, for example, something I ask for that you can do ahead of time is good Reads. So if you want your books to be in libraries, librarians don't look at Amazon reviews. They look at Goodreads reviews. And so what's so great about Goodreads is that Amazon won't let you review a book until the book is actually live. But good Reads you can review a book before it's live because they know people get Galley copies, which is just an early version digital version of the book. So if you can say, hey, my my street team, call them a name. You know, you know, we know we love a namer out here, Mandy money Makers. Right, hey, you know name of my people. Here's your digital version. You know, please take this month to read it and then next month, Hey, can you guys leave me a review? Obviously never you never asked for leave me a five star review. Just leave me a review. You know, you hope that most people are going to leave your five star review, and so, but it gets your reviews going, and then it lets librarians go ahead of time. Hey, there's this interesting book comes out coming up. It already has one hundred and fifty reviews. This is great, let me order it because the more reviews you have, the more copies they're likely to order for their library. I've had libraries. I ordered twenty copies of the book, which is amazing because you think about, yeah, because they saw it's gotten really popular on Goodread, so I should have we should have a number of copies in store, you know, in stock. So that's something like definitely ahead of time. But when I tell you, I'm not gonna lie, when my publisher said have this like Street Team, it didn't make sense to me. It seemed counter intuitive to give my book to five hundred people and then expect that they're going to buy the book. They're not going to do that. I was wrong, and one of the missteps I made was not leaning into my DC five hundred even more because they got the digital copy and by the time the real book came out, the digital copy had disappeared. You know, they had their two months with it, cause I think we had the group for like two or three months ahead of time. The digital copy disappeared, and those five hundred women because they had special link, because they got them. They got a discount, those five hundred women, but nearly four thousand books. I couldn't believe it. I couldn't believe still to this day, that's.
Speaker 1: Like twenty books each girl. I couldn't understand. I I liked you a lot.
Speaker 3: I mean too, So what's so crazy? I couldn't believe it. But it's because of all the pouring in, I guess, because remember for every one thing you're pouring in, I mean, I'm not really ten, but you're pouring the value. It's one to ten basically. And so at the time when Clubhouse was out, this is when it was like really hard to get a Clubhouse invite. So that was one of the gifts gifts that I gave them. I gave them Clubhouse invites and then we had a Clubhouse stage together where everybody changed their cop their their picture on Clubhouse to the copy of the book.
Speaker 1: Remember that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it was just honestly, what I tell you is so much fun to just hang out with these group of largely women who are just like they received so much value. They got to connect with each other. So we did do it on Facebook and it was temporary. So a month after the book came out, we let them know this only temporary anyway. But a month after the book came out, we closed it down. So it was like a few months before because the purpose of the of your street team, their most value is before and during launch week and then afterwards, you know, like certainly a few weeks after. So a month after we were like okay, you know, like we're closing down, and they knew and they're like, this is amazing. But what that let me know is whenever I do something again, Like like I said, we have the Netflix film, we did it again and it's been working amazing. Hey, everybody, Tiffany is going to be doing a live Q and A with y'all, but before we do, we need to have at least one hundred of y'all. So a screen shot where you gave a thumbs up on the film and it was like you see what I mean, and so like or like hey, you know, you know you have to We need like fifty people to have shared it on their Twitter hashtag get Smart with Money. Once we have a screenshot of that, then I'm going to do a live with X y Z person you know from the film. So like, so you get your people going like, hey, you give a thing, and give a thing and say in exchange, I just need a small little thing, you know, And honestly they're happy to do it, you know, because they're receiving so much in advance. So that was a huge, huge, huge, So I cannot overstate how I wish I would have poured even more into that crowd because of how much I did not know honestly how valuable that was gonna be. So that was huge. And I would say, like, I mean, there was a bunch of like a ton of other things. But you have to know this if you want a national bestseller, like a New York Time bestseller. Otherwise, the key things they're looking for is you have to sell a certain a maunder of a number of books within one week. Now here's the Caveat your first week of book sales, they will add on any pre orders before the book was live. That's why a lot of people make it one week and then fall off. There's no shade in that, but I'm just saying, so you know, if you're most likely to make any bestsellers list within your first week because any of those pre sales, Now you have to just ask yourself. Are you someone If you have a smaller audience, you want to start pre selling months out so you can collect a few hundred, a few whatever along the way. If you have a bigger audience, we didn't start. We pre started to heavy pre sale two months out because we knew for us it was about building the excitement and then saying presales available, even though they could have brought it beforehand. But you see what I mean. Like so, if you're big, the bigger the audience, the closer to time that you want to quote unquote open pre sales, the smaller the audience, you have to unique time to collect your book sales. So just consider that, you know so, so you want to you know you do you want to sell? Well, I made the pants, you know what I mean? Like so, because everyone's different and there's nothing wrong with that. So knowing that you know you want to have your so that means you're gonna have to have your website earlier, sooner than later. You know you're gonna want to have your you know you're gonna want to have something else. That was really helpful. We did a quiz which I highly suggest is.
Speaker 1: That that's what I wanted to talk to you about those like and the marketing part of my book proposal was the most recent thing that I just finished, and I came up with these and with help from my coach too, because she was saying how having freebies or you know, incentives for people to buy the book early and also because you're asking people to order the book months in advance. Right, you did the quiz and didn't you have a financial wholeness like.
Speaker 3: A summit backlist? Yeah? So yeah, So I did a summit, which, eh, it was okay, but the quiz was really great. So my book is GEGS Money, Ten Simple Steps to Becoming financially whole. So I did a quiz where super simple. I can't. I'll give you like the quiz link, like what the like if you're listening, it's GGWM for Gigos Money quiz dot com. But I'll give you actually like the quiz like the company we use. It was pretty easy and it's just a thumbs up thumbs down. And so it's the ten simple steps, but every there's ten questions do you have a budget or whatever? The quick question is thumbs up thumbs down because so all the steps budget savings credit that all that each one of those is a question, and it's like a sixty second quiz thumbs up, thumbs down. But if you go right now, let's go to GGWM. What I love about this quiz side is you get to see at the bottom, Mandy, look at me, people have taken this quiz sixty nine, three hundred and three people. Holy isn't that crazy?
Speaker 1: How does that helping with sales? Because they come to your page to take the quiz.
Speaker 3: So they take the quiz. So one, I tell people you're taking the quiz for two things. One so you can know what percentage of financial homeless you've reached. So at the end of the quiz, it's going to say you know, because there's ten questions. So if you get you know, one thumbs up, you're ten percent, you get fifty thumbs up, five thumbs up, fifty percent. So anything fifty percent and above you get like, oh I see you girl, you get in there. Anything below it's okay, it's okay, I got you. So at the end of the quiz, two things happen. One, it says you're going to get your checklist email to you, so you don't even get your quiz results so you yep. So it collects your name and your email, so you get your quiz results after you give me your name and email, so you get your result and the checklist after. And I just spoke with our tech person today. She said that quiz email, the open rate is eighty percent, which is insane if you know anything about email open rates. Good is twenty percent. Eighty percent of people who get that because they want the checklist. So at the end of the quiz, I give you your your your your percentage, right, you get twenty five to thirty percent whatever. And then I also say, if you don't have a hundred percent, let me help you go to get good money dot com and get the book.
Speaker 1: So you see, So I just take the quiz and I got one hundred percent. So I don't think I got that Messa yet.
Speaker 3: No, well know it's just at the bottom like it should still say, like didn't get a hundred I.
Speaker 1: See at the bottom. Yeah, yeah, and I see the cute uh doctor Phil, Phil and Live from Uh yes wait Phil and Viv Damn from first Prints.
Speaker 3: But you see, it's like so either way you get, you get told about the book. So now if this was before the book came out, it would say it would literally just take say, hey, go get your checklist from and you know, from your from your email, you know, before the book, because there was no book to get, or it would tell take you to pre order, you know, like, hey, didn't get a hundred percent or you know, or even if you did, you know you could pre order the book now. And now that the book is out, it says, you know, did you get a hundred percent or didn't get a hundred percent? You could get the book. Now. Let me tell how affected this quiz has been. So like our site, So my site Gika of Money, So if you watch the movie Get Smart with Money, my book is prominently featured. They keep calling me that the New York Times best selling author Tiffany so I knew people were going to go to the budget he said dot com website and the Giga of Money website that they were going to find both. So at the top of both websites it says something to the effect of, are you here because you saw me on Netflix? Are you ready to Get Smart with Money? Start here? And the here took them to the quiz. Now, before the movie came out, it was sixty thousand people who had taken the quiz. Now that the movie is out, nine thousand additional people have taken that quiz, and as a result, Mandy I have sold over four thousand additional books, the more than I normally sell. But you see how you see how like it seems to live on Yes, And so now a few things happen. One I get book sales. Two I get your email. So now when I send out my weekly goodies, you know, now you're part of the ecosystem of Budgetista. And let's just say you didn't buy the book. That's okay because every week I'm going to send you something amazing and then eventually maybe you're like I should buy the book or sign up for the Academy, or or become a you suit. I mean, so the quiz is just such a great way to one introduce people to you in a fun way, to capture their email. Three give them something valuable. So mine was a checklist at the end for sell your book or whatever it's going to be. You see what I mean, Like that one quiz did like six things for me.
Speaker 1: And so that was so talk about your I have not been into your website in a minute but this budget Nisa budget Nissa book on the home page. When did you do this? This girl?
Speaker 3: Within a week and a half, when I found that the movie was coming out or we're going to have la Netflix, Does I give you no warning? They're like, oh, it's going to be coming out. I rebuilt my web I had them you know, we worked the labor day. Was not on vacation. We labored on labor day. I haven't seen this yet, you know, it literally just it went live the month before. I'm not the moment before the day before the movie came out, because I realized like, like, wait, people are gonna be going to my website is my website has not been updated in years? And it was a mess. It was all all they know, we work so hard to get the website to have all the things on it from brand Ambition, the Literature Academy, like, but it's the website has done exactly what it's meant to do and that people come have come here and found whatever they're needing from me. You know. First things first is that like you know, they go to the quiz. That's why we had nine thousand people take that quiz. We have an additional four or five thousand people that have joined the email list. It's been honestly, it's been insane. And so having the right website is is so critical and having a quiz ahead of time. This is just in general, like let's just say you're not even having a book, like having a way to capture emails. It's like email still is like one of the number one ways to connect with people.
Speaker 1: Oh, Tiffany, these are so many gems. Okay, but let me take a quick little breather. I need to get a fresh pen because I've run out of ink. And we will be right back with more of the b, a Q and A as Tiffany gives me more and more business insights.
Speaker 3: Something else to consider for your book ahead of time too is consider maybe, I mean it's can be expensive, so it's not for everyone, but consider also doing collecting text messages because the average open email rates like, you know, like twenty percent that's considered decent, but text message open rate is eighty to ninety percent.
Speaker 1: Oh, collecting their phone numbers, yeah, yeah, so you know that's not on the community.
Speaker 3: What's it called. It's called so I use superphone, but it's it can be a little pricey. You pay basically by how many texts you send out. But like it. It's still something to consider, you know, because you can just use it when you're really needing it. But I like it because like my open rate, like I said, on Superphone is like ninety percent, which is like typical for text. And what's so great about it is is that with a text message, you know, like so if you go to for example, right now, if you go to text budgetista dot com. So let's all go class text Budgetista. What I like about Superphone for the community, because community is the popular text messaging system that you see all the celebrities using when they're like, hey, you want to talk text with me? This is my real number. Remember ever was doing that? Text me at two two nine one one one. Now here's the thing. It is their real number, it's their number, and it typically goes to their phone, which is fine. But the problem with the community way of getting people to sign up is that I have to remember my number and so do you. But what I like about Superphone, which is genius, is I don't have to remember that. So they were like, Tiffany, go to go Daddy, go get you a domain and now I can just say you want to sign up for text messages for me? Honestly, I don't text off it. I just text what I'm like, Hey, I'm going to be here, or there's some free resource I want you to have access to. So I tell people go to text budget Nissa dot com. You put in your information and it texts you, and then from there you follow the directions. You see what I mean. And what I love about superphone two is that so one it's easy to remember what a tifty second? Oh, text Budgetnissa not two two nine one, one one whatever. And then another thing that I like with superphone gather there's a lot of information with superphone. I can ask any question I want. I can ask your gender, I can ask your race, I can ask how much you make. I can ask all these things. One of them was I don't ask all that. I just ask like, you know, where do you live? And I do ask like what state you live in? Because when I do, my wealth walks. Now, guess what I'm gonna be texting? Hey, who are you know? If you're gonna be in Detroit. It's so much easier than sending an email out that I could just text me like, Hey, I'm gonna be in Detroit this weekend. Who wants to rock out? So that's what I love about the text messaging is how, even though you can do that with your email to it's collect where people live, it's much easier with the text messaging to just be like, don't forget we're meeting today, or let's just say that you know I was going You know, I was I'm going to walk in Detroit at whatever park and ends up being closed when I get there. I can set a quick text to be like, hey, change our mind, We're actually just gonna do a city walk meet me at such as such corner, because everyone's gonna get their text message, you see what I mean. And so that's like that's really important. So like, so you don't have to do texting, but just consider that, you know, as you move forward, like creating this list now the key more than anything, more than anything, worth everything. I cannot express that you're in a great position because you haven't sold your book yet. You need to be working on building community now because I know, and I know I'm just saying general cause I know Mandy's doing that, you know, but in general, because these are the people who are going to purchase whatever you're having now, and then they will tell other people people like, my book is selling on average. Before the Netflix thing came out, it was selling about a thousand books a week. Do you think that's dream Catchers? Now a year later, dream Catchers been had it. We used to send out emails. They're like, we got it, Tiffiny. I'm like, okay, so I stopped sitting email. You know, They're like, we got it. So my Dreamcatchers already have it. So who are these people who are buying the book now? They're friends of friends of friends. So you build an amazing community. You treat them right, you pour into them, You act with integrity and kindness and consistency, and they will tell their friend friend friend friend, and that's who's purchasing the book now. It's people who heard about it, who heard about who heard about it. And so building your community before you need them, pouring into them before you ask anything of them. That's why it's going to be so critical now. A community is what's so important about a community A few things. One they come for you, they stay for each other. So you have to make sure that wherever you're hanging out, they can connect to each other, because if they can only connect with you, they won't be here long because you're gonna get boring after a while, you know. And so like So for example, with my mentee group that my mentor Tiffany, right, they they're doing monthly menty meetups virtually now that I don't even attend. So I teach them every month. I do a great lesson for them. But then every every month they just meet up with each other and they're loving it because I know if I don't provide an opportunity for them to do that, they won't stay long, you know. And so just consider like what does that look like? And where will my people hang out? So that's critical. So there are places. There's definitely Facebook groups, which is not my fave. I personally, I like a Facebook group for temporary groups. So, hey, the book is coming out a great place. Do a Facebook Now here's the key. I learned this lesson the hard way. If you're going to do a Facebook group, the critical component is one the Facebook group should be a private group that people have to answer questions to join, because you don't want more than your five hundred, like I said, fifty to five hundred, and the questions to join. A mistake I made for the Netflix Facebook group was I didn't collect any way to communicate with them outside of the Facebook group. So one two mistakes. One I made it too big because I was like, forget five hundred, let's do three thousand. Three thousand less people participated, So I ended up shutting that group down because the more people in the group, that less likely you're gonna get engagement. And the whole purpose of this type of group, like my DreamCatcher group is five hundred thousand. That's fine, you know, that's just a free group. It's a free for all. But a specific group that's meant to be your street team needs to be small and compact, you know. And so they were hearing me because Facebook as a hater and so it was critical to me. So I shut that three thousand group down and I said, Okay, Facebook is not letting me talk to y'all. We're going to reopen with with five hundred. And before you enter, one of the questions we asked was I said, are we going to communicate with them via email or text? We decided to text. Before you enter, you had to sign up for I actually bought like a like a domain because we had a special sign up that added them to our text list. But the specific teest for list where I knew these were our Netflix people, and so we had to double check. We had to look when people signed up, and then we look for them because behind the scenes, when someone applies to be part of your Facebook group, you can see them on the waiting list. So as soon as we saw you on our text list, we'd let you in. So now what happens now is when I post something in Facebook. I know you didn't see it because Facebook is a hater, but we texted to everyone as well. Hey, just so you know, I just posted a contest today where if you share your favorite part about the movie, I'm going to be gifting ten people a copy of my book. As you stay on social media, you be part about the movie. You see what I mean. I don't have to wonder, you see what I mean? Because that was huge that you have to be able to communicate with your people off the social media platform. So social media is a great place to communicate or to convene together. But if you can't say I can text and email them to say that thing has been posted, they will never see it and it will have been a waste. So just keep that in mind too, that wherever you're hanging out, Yes, wherever you're hanging out.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about Facebook a little bit because my I think I have. I do have a Mandy money Maker's Facebook group that I originally started, but I don't I'm trying to stay true to my authentic self. I don't like Facebook. I don't use Facebook. It's just gotten to be cumbersome. So I have been using Mandy Money. Through Mandy Money, I have been using Slack. I love it, but so far it's just been Mandy money Makers who have gone through the group, gone through the group coaching program. So it's small. It's like fifty women at this point, and when I have future cohorts, we just add to it. But I don't have a free for all community space right now. So if I don't like Facebook, for me, it's been like Instagram and my email list. Is that okay?
Speaker 2: Or what do you?
Speaker 1: What do you think?
Speaker 3: I was just so a place that I've been testing out that I like so far. So I actually moved my paid group so Literature Academy. That group used to be on Facebook, because if you do have an online school, it's really smart to have a place where they can hang out, like the community can hang out. And so it used to be our Facebook group. So we switched them over to something called Mighty Networks.
Speaker 1: And I've heard of Mighty Networks.
Speaker 3: And so so it's an alternative where everybody will see your things. So so explore that as an alternative to a group where you're free for so I'm actually I've been exploring Myighty Networks for the paid one. It's been great. So I am tiptoeing with maybe just a few thousand dream Catchers to see can I moave my can I move the free group here as well? Okay, so like so I'm gonna but we're just testing it out. We're gonna actually test it out heavily. We're testing it out now and if we like it in the new year, we're going to make the big announcements. Come join us here.
Speaker 1: And it's like a website. It's not an app.
Speaker 3: So yes, the thing is it can be now it costs money. So for the free group, I did not build an app. But for the Literature Academy group, like we built the app. It was not inexpensive. I want to say it was maybe like between twenty and thirty thousand dollars to build an app. So there's actually an app you can have on your phone, your dream because I call the members of my online school my dream builders. There's a dream build or app that you can click on and it's very much a community space. You can ask questions. It's honestly, it's walking out. They're loving it there. Now for the free group, I don't know that I'm going to invest to have the app, but at least it will be a site that you can go to and if I see that's going well, maybe next year. Later on next year, I'll invest to have a specific app. So, because what I like about it is that if I can get my free group or large most of my free group over to Mighty Networks, it makes it easier than to say, hey, did you know I have an online school. Don't worry, you don't have to go far, just right across the street and our other Mighty Networks app. So I can train people how to navigate Mighty Networks on the free group, so when it's time if they want to bump up and learn more and more nuanced personal finance. They can join the paid group and they're not having to learn a new skill set about how to navigate the space. You know, So just consider Mighty Networks. It's fairly inexpensive for the free version or the less expensive version, and then if you find it's really really, really helpful, and there are different tiers with different levels of access to tools, so consider that as well. But community, for me, community, I don't think people want to know, like, what's the secret sauce behind Budgetista, And it's my ability to build and connect community because anything I do, I don't have to restart the machine. Hey guys, I have a documentary now. Remember we talked about Mandy earlier, the tree trunk and the branches. Look, I started off doing budgeting one on one. Look at one of my branches is literally I have a documentary. What does it have to do budgeting one on one? Because I do such a strong branch, I could lily branch off into a documentary and guess what it was top one percent of films viewed in its first week out. Because of that, you know, because of growing such a strong branch, I don't have to reinvent the Wheel. I go right back to the very community that I pour into day in, day out, day and day out, and I say I have another thing, and they're like, Tiffany, the person that we know like and trust for the last fifteen years, tell us what it is since we got you, you see what I mean? So and something else just to consider. I know this, like so many things. I'm like, honestly, I get so excited about it. But one of the mistakes I see people make when they have their book come out. It's okay in the very beginning to say a couple times, you know, support my book. Past that nobody cares. Girl, If I see one more time, if y'all could just buy my book, if what does the book teach me? Sir? You know what I mean. I'm like, I buy books so I can be better. That should be the push, like, not buy my book because it's gonna help. So even with Netflix, in the beginning, certainly I was like, oh my gosh, my film came out. Yeah yah, yeah, And then I told Logan stop that that that language. Now we can phase it out. And now the language is watch the Netflix documentary. It is going to help you to open up the necessary financial conversation you need to be having at home with the people that you that you connect with financially, your kids, your spouse, your partner, whoever. So that's the push now because beyond because your mom and sister they don't know me, they don't care. But if you say, mom, we really need to watch this because we need to have this financial conversation, that's the reason. So just keep that in mind that it's okay to beginning that your core people want to support you, and and certainly with your with your street team, that's okay. But for the larger audience, that language has to stop pretty early on and you have to illustrate the value of the book. That's why people should get it.
Speaker 1: You know what problems are you helping me with? What these points are you solving? Yeah?
Speaker 3: But do you see how I illustrated that with the quiz? You took the quiz you got a twenty. Now I've identified you have problems. This you twenty percent financial? Oh what should I do? Don't worry? Here's your checklist and go get the book. You see what I mean? Within two seconds, it's like I have a problem, I have a solution. But do you see like how smart that is, you know, and so like that's yeah, that's just one of the things. And no, think about this too as you have your book. It's a mistake that I almost made that honestly, hoof. I just I could shiver about it. I had to. I had my because when you have when you know, once you get your deal, you were going to have different phases of edits and drafts. I was on my final draft, on like second to final draft. I was talking to my business coach, Zion, and I was telling him like, I'm so glad, I'm almost done with this book. I'm so overwhelmed. And he was like, oh, what is your What did he say? What is your not call to action? But he basically asked me, in the book, what are you telling people to go get from your site or whatever? Oh?
Speaker 1: I remember, yes, yes, and I was your website.
Speaker 3: Yes. I was like, I don't have it. He was like, Tiffany, are you freaking kidding me? Like, people are going to read this book, they're gonna love you, and they're gonna want more for you. You don't you don't have any toolkit or anything for them. I was like, I didn't know, and he was like I said, but I gave everything in the book. He said, okay, And because at the back of the book like get your Money, like there's like you know, like spreadsheets whatever. He said, that's fine, that's great, but people are gonna want the digital version of that, because what if I write in a book, but I want to give to my sister. Like so he's like, put all the tools in the in the from the book into a toolkit, he said, because this is going to allow you to capture people who read the book to then join the ecosystem a budget these it's like the quiz And I was like, okay, And tens of thousands of people have joined the email list because of they literally if you go right now to get your Money dot com, it says toolkit, and it's just literally the toolkit because I don't like reading your book and I can't have access to a thing unless I do the toolkit. Now, it's just it's really basically just the stuff in the book, but now you have your version of it, you know, because in the book, I might say here are the tools that I like, But now I break down the toolkit chapter by chapter, so there's links, there's like here's the Excel spreadsheet version, so you can fill it out yourself all these other things. But it's just there, and I thought, well, people are not going to get it because it's in the book. No, tens of thousands of people have downloaded the toolkit. Also to a mistake that I made, I didn't have my I didn't have my what is that thing called there's another thing on my site my book club kit ready in time. It took me like two or three months, and I wish I would have had it sooner. So because people wanted to do book clubs from the very beginning, and I didn't have it ready because I forgot and it took forever to get it done. So certainly thinking about people are going to want to do a book club around your book, that's just facts. So creating a book club kit so people can download that for free, and so like if you go to like like I said, if you go to get good money dot com, there's a button for a good book club Kit, and when you click on it, guess what I asked for your name and your email, Because no matter where you go, I'm like, connect with me in this way. And so they download the book club kit they have their book club. And so one of the things I did for my book club clip you could do anything, is that you obviously you want some question prompts for each chapter. But then what I did is I took a step further. Is I taped a really short video so you can watch because I imagined a dining room table full of sisters, we gonna do the budget. It's the book club. We're all doing chapter three. And then they pull up the book club and then there's a video, you know, a link and they watch it and I'm like in the room with you, like hey, I'm like, hey, ladies, it's me budget. It's a girl. So you're about to reach chapter three. It's all about credit. I'm not don't go guys. Credit can be a lot, but I got you. You're about to learn this, this, this, and this. I'm proud of you. And sidebar, did I tell you look cute today? Very cute? Okay, anyway, bye. So, like I did these fun videos because people were asking me to do personalize videos for their book club, you know, and it just got to be overwhelming, and I said, well, what if I put the videos in the book club Because I get it they want to see me, and I'm like, you don't go, I'm gotta do all that, like you know. So I have a beginning video. I have a video to introduce every chapter, which is like literally one or two minutes. I did it literally right on my laptop. I didn't do anything special. I did it like I use whatever like that movie thing that we have that comes with your Apple, you know, with your Mac. So I recorded on my laptop movie exactly. I did iMovie recorded on my laptop. And then I didn't even edit them like because I mean, they didn't need to be edited because I just wanted one or two minutes. And then I uploaded it to YouTube as an unlisted video so no one can find it but anyone who has the link and watch it. And so I just put it into YouTube and then I put the YouTube link in the kit as a clickable link, so that way, see, I didn't have to do all these techi techie, and I made the book Club Kit and even I made the book Club Kit in Canva for free, because Canvas free unless you like, I think we know, actually we use I use like the paid version of Canva. But but you don't have to fit you know, but you don't have to do I made it exactly exactly. I used to call Brown a vision because we love Canva. But I made the kit, the book club kit, and the toolkit in Canva so you don't have to do all these fancy things. I used YouTube, which is free. But you see, like so the owner, you start these things so literally as soon as you get wind of like what you're thinking about for your book, to start to build these things out. I want to say it took. It was about a year of a year out from the when the book came out. We started to go hard. Seven months out and even then it felt like a race. So but like a year out of like kind of planning and this is and then seven months out of like okay, we started. I started meeting weekly with the team seven months out and so like so people who are like, you know, because people will hit me, but like Tiffany, my book comes out next month, can you tell me what I should be doing? I'm like, what can I do? You should be traveling back seven months now that there's nothing that you can do, but like you know, so I'm glad you're asking now, Like I said, I.
Speaker 1: Want to thank you because go ahead. You didn't just like sorry, I think there's like delay now. But for anyone who wants to say, well, Tiffany already had a big community, so of course her book was a New York Times bestseller. Do you hear how much work Tiffany did and her team like, it wasn't and it wasn't a given that you were going to have a New York Times bestseller. It wasn't easy. It took so much work. So I'm grateful that you are sharing that. It also makes me feel I don't know, I just listen. I'm not even about that end goal. I'm just trying to think. I just want to be able to say that I did what I could do, you know, like that I did what I could do to have a successful launch, and that more people can find the book that I want to help them because that's what I'm doing it for, right, So I know this really became about the book, but also so many components of a successful book launch. I'm seeing them overlap with.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's like a launch as a launch of the launch of the launch. That's what you'll see. That's what I learned because we were uniquely ready ready, ish because I had launched the Literature Academy multiple times. The challenges I used to do every single year that were free, we had launched that. So what I found was we collected all of that knowledge of these launches and then added on to it. Because even with launching the Netflix documentary, like, we use all the things we did before and then we learn new things when it comes to launching like a show, which is different. And so yeah, So the biggest, biggest takeaway for anyone to me for a successful business is to build the foundation of your community that will be there no matter what it is that you're launching. Build that tree business, you know, because you'll be able to branch out beautifully and you'll be able to still be here if this is almost year fifteen for me and we're still here and still super strong as a result of that community built. It also is lots of planning and pre work. I don't you know, people just think I just dropped the book. No, it was a year before I wrote the book. There was. It was a year's worth of planning, then six months of writing the book, then a year of marketing, planning and execution before you saw that what you saw. So look out far in advance, so just pre planning, pre planning, pre planning. If you're not sure where to start, there's a great book called Twelve Week Year.
Speaker 1: Here talking this book, I ain't go ahead and get it.
Speaker 3: It's just a very great because it's a really great book to help you learn how to plan and execute effectively and strategically. So it's just a really great book to do that. So that's it's a great place. But yeah, but that's just business in general. Honestly, Like if I just really look back at like how are we still here, it's just consistency, it's integrity, transparency, and we're or I'm always pivoting before need be me and mayde always talking about the pre pivot. Don't wait until the market shifts, start to look ahead and say I see some changes coming, let me get ready now. So by the time everybody' scrambled, you're like, oh, chold, we started that six months ago, you know, and so we're just wrapping up the shift. So pre pivot, get comfortable. No, don't get comfortable, because the market is always going to shift. Pre pivoting and and and the newest lesson that I'm learning in business, and I know we got to wrap up is I've learned that. I don't say I want to say it's a mistake, but a shift that I'm making now is deep versus wide. So the business, what people have been doing in business now is more and more and more bigger, bigger, bigger. I sell chains, chickens, I sell DVD. I sew all the things meaning like, and I did that with the Budgetesta. I had like twenty different things that we were doing as Budgetista, and it was making good money, but it was exhausting and it was expensive to make that good money. And so now Logan and I who's my core team member alongside of Rose Logan's my content manager, we looked at all the things and we chopped it down to about four or five deliverables that we do with Budganista. That's it. And then from the four or five, I say, I said, what specific things do we need to tweak and plug up holes? So for example, you might go to my site and download this free thing. Now, in order to download a free thing, we need your name in your email because that's a hole to be plugged, because we might get two three thousand people a month coming to do that thing and then we lose you forever or you know, we don't mention in a log post. Did you know I have a free Facebook group dream Catchers if you're needing additional information, So it's like you not even mentioned that. Make sure. So I'm literally looking at every little nook and corner of the business and saying, how when somebody comes, do I can I contain? Can I maintain connection? You know what I mean? And so like that's one of the deep things that we're doing. And are we sharing along the way? Like you took the quiz. Hey there's a book. You got the book. Hey there's a this, you have a this. You see what I mean? That deep means that we get to make two or three times as much with less work because we're doing better work with the four or five things that we're doing than doing twenty things for the same amount. And so so deep versus consider that because you won't scramble as much really looking around your business and saying, okay, we do this one thing, but every step along the way, am I taking the opportunity to pour into the person that just stepped in? Am I taking the opportunity to build a deeper connection? To collect their email, to collect their phone number, to make sure they join the group, to make sure they follow me on social Am I taking that opportunity for every single vertical that they meet me? If not, then I've literally I have a bucket with a hole at the bottom and people are leaking through unnecessarily when making those tweaks could cost you next to nothing. So I think that's that's if I had to leave you with one big tip is deep versus wide. But honestly, when I tell you I love I mean low key, high key. I love coaching and business almost as much I love teaching financial education, and so you know I love it. And so if you're wanting, like literally for ten bucks a month, we have my mentortipany dot com. There's like fifteen hundred of us in there, and I the way, like I pour into them so much that like cause I just I don't have an outlet for that normally, and because you know, I don't want to confuse my brand budget lista like on my socials and things, and so it's just a place where like I pour in. They always tease me like they know my golden rule is it's ten bucks because y'all won't stress me out. Like I know it's worth more than ten bucks. It's not about the ten bucks for me. It's ten bucks, so one, I can offset any costs. But then also two, it's ten bucks because I have other businesses I have to run, and you're not gonna stress me out for ten bucks. I will give you a ten bucks back gladly, like, oh, you thought you was gonna get a one on one sis, here's your ten dollars because that's one lady told me. She's like, wow, I came in here and I thought you were gonna do coach me one on one. I'm like, for ten bucks a months.
Speaker 1: This do you pay the babysit of that for a month?
Speaker 3: Like no? So I was like, here you go. I gave her. I gave her all three months back, and I said, I wish you well, you know, I know you're not happy. But that's why it's ten bucks a month because it's my stress free number. But but yeah, my mentortipty dot com. If you want to join.
Speaker 1: Us, yeah, please do y'all. I'm actually a part of that community too. I get your thoughtful Thursday emails and all your others. So all right, thank you so much, tiff. I know we gotta go, but you gave me so much good food for thought. And I'm gonna I'm actually going to listen to this episode and go back and and I'm gonna give you Austin. I'm gonna give you behind the scenes. I can't wait to get that checklist. I don't care the bigger the better. I love me a checklist, just some kind of map, and I'll break it up, organize it whatever you need, I'll do it. Such a privilege to get poured into by you. So thank you, friend. Definitely go to my mentor Tiffany, y'all, and as a reminder, go to nail your Negotiation dot com to sign up for my free masterclass in Salary Negotiation, which is happening to Sday, the twenty seventh. You still have time if you're listening, I hope you still have time. There's only five hundred seats, y'all, and it's only been a day, and like two hundred of them our books, So hopefully you still have time. Nail your Negotiation dot com to sign up for my free webinar, and if you haven't yet, go back to last week's episode. Listen to Tiffany getting her negotiation tips from me, and we can't wait to hear from y'all.
Speaker 3: If you want to, if you want to ask us questions like live in the studio, go to our Instagram leave us a voice note because we'd love to have you on so you can ask your business, your career, and your finance question.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, all right until next week, Bye y'all, Bye, hey ba fam. We could not do this show without your support or the support of our team behind the scenes. The Brown Emission Podcast is produced by Cumulus Podcast Network. It's edited by the wonderful Imani Crosby and produced by Tanya Bustos. Dennis Stimplinsky is our in house tech guru, and I am Bandy Windchard Santos, your co host, and I will see y'all next week.