Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, Robert Evans here, and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode. So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's got to be nothing new here for you. But you can make your own decisions.
Speaker 2: Pod Cast it's a podcast that you're listening to. It's it could happen here. It's that the show where things fall apart and so that you put them back together again. And actually, okay, you know, I really should have checked the calendar before I did it, before I tried to do this introduction where I've referenced the thing that I'm saying came out last week but might actually have come out like no, no, no, okay, okay, I got it right. I got it right. I should never have doubted myself. Last week, we did an episode about inflation, and we told maybe half that story and the part of it that we didn't tell, you know, we got through the most of the part about like you know what what this sort of theory of inflation that the people a strange matter to fello up. We got through what it was. What we didn't really talk about was what happened next, which is a very very interesting set of sort of maneuvers that happened where this theory started spreading through a bunch of very disparate academic circles and you know, sort of like economic circles and different political circles that usually don't have anything to do with each other. But we're all, i don't know, taking taking things in very interesting directions, and to talk about how how how this sort of supply Shaine theory of inflation like spread through the world and all of this very very interesting, somewhat bizarre stuff that happened. Next, we once again have Steve Mann and John Michael Cologone, who are co editors as Strange Matters. Yeah, Steve jmc welcome back to the show.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm glad, glad, glad we could have YouTube back, and glad we get to talk about the really really interesting, somewhat strange things that happened next, which was, Yeah, a lot of people started picking up your theories and starting to work with them. Yeah, I was worrying if you could talk a bit about I guess like how that kind of first started and how people first started sort of coming to you for stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like last year. So last year when the first of these pieces came out Notes toward e theory of inflation, we got like a really good response in general from it, and it was kind of provoking discussions between groups of economists and like readers of econ stuff on Twitter and stuff like that, who otherwise wouldn't have really been talking to each other, but suddenly having a different theory of inflation, one that was like a lot different than what sort of like the people who thought it would be super transitory or the people who thought it was like purely a monetary phenomenon or something like that. Like having that option sparked good conversations, and it eventually led to some writers approaching us who are sort of inspired by those conversations, and particularly a few of them really wanted to follow up on like specific key like either points from the paper or follow some of the implications as far as they think they could take them. So one such paper. Oh and by the way, just as a refresher the original theory that is laid out in Part one of this series that we're doing is essentially saying that inflation has a tendency to propagate a long supply chains first and then through supply chain networks secondarily. And so it's it's saying it's essentially that that's that's how it propagates. It starts in supply chains. Things like bottlenecks along production processes have give the price setters, who are people at companies, socially acceptable reasons to eventually if they need to raise prices. And but they but that generally pricing managers refrain from raising prices unless that us like every other lever they've pulled, essentially has not worked. So like people took that theory and wanted to follow up on it, and so one author who did that was Alex Vaccolo who approached us and he essentially wanted to do an updated version of the pricing manager survey that we found really helpful in writing those initial pieces. So in my piece No sort of Theory of Inflation, I relied upon like a wealth of pricing manager surveys that showed that where they asked these pricing managers under what circumstances would you raise prices, and they sort of went through each scenario of that over the decades, starting in the thirties and going into the nineties and two thousands. In order to not have a replication crisis, like, we need more and more studies, right, Like this is a that's phenomenon across social sciences and elsewhere. So you want to have good replication studies. One way to do that is to have an updated pricing manager survey that talks to like sort of modern corporations in the twenty twenties. So are they still concerned about some of the same things? Are they not? Are there innovations and pricing that we should know about? And so Alex Paccolo, who's a financial journalist by trade, he went and interviewed some managers at Walmart and other big companies and some smaller ones and found that, like, broadly speaking, a lot of the same issues are at play. So companies have cost plus markeut pricing as kind of their bedrock, and from there they develop some innovations such as like so called dynamic pricing, where they have the like if you're a larger company who knows that they are viewed as a price leader, you have some leeway in responding to sales forecasts and changing your pricing, like Walmart does what they have like everyday low prices, that type of thing. And if you're a grocery store and one of your competitors is Walmart, Serve on the flip side, you might start developing indexes of prices set by Walmart or like one of the other big like behemoth chains, knowing how important they are to the overall supply chain network and knowing how important they are for the demand for groceries. Like like if wherever Walmart goes, many people have no choice but to follow them in terms of their pricing schedules. And so that's another thing that is going on, Like people are developing just entire price indices of like Walmart or Costco or Sam's Club or who have you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was something that's I think interesting in terms of like the the difference between the way that like economists think about sort of price, the difference between and how it's actually getting set, which is like a lot of it, a lot of it. Very much seems to be like if you are if you are like the largest company in a market, like if you are like Walmart, right, you have this incredible ability to sort of like like you have this ability to like like force people force your like downstream or like a guess upstream suppliers to like sell it to you at low at lower prices because you have this enormous sort of like you know, amount of buying power that like, you know, if you're like if you're like a smaller thing, you don't necessarily like you know, like like the same company will charge like another grocery store more for like the same thing because Walmart, Walmart has an ability to sell it at a lower price than if I'm remembering this right, I'm getting I'm gonna im getting strange looks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well it's it's it's important not to mix up two separate things. One is Walmart's relationships to suppliers and the other one is relationship to its competitors. Right, So the supplier bit, you were totally right on the right track. It's like, you know, like people who supply Walmart with with products because Walmart is such a big customer. If you get the Walmart contract and you're a small producer or a medium sized producer, like you're set right because like you know, then then you can basically just like you know, they can even be your only customer in many cases. But that comes at a cost, which is that you sell at the price that will dictates, otherwise they'll just tell you to fuck off basically. And you know, it's not only price, it's also the quality. You have to hit the standards. And oftentimes what these firms that are like the big important firms, so called nuclear firms in a supply chain do is that they set those standards like very rigidly, and you have to be certified with them. So McDonald's does this for example, you know, like all those poultry farmers or whatever who supply the chickens for the chicken mc nuggets, they have to go through this extremely rigid process in order to be able to qualify to be a McDonald's certified supplier or whatever, because that's how they keep the product standardized even though they're not in house. And then the other thing that you were alluding to, which is a vocalo's piece, is the relationship to competitors. So obviously Walmart's able to keep things cheap all the time, and they're famous every day low prices because basically those they have economies of scale. You know, there's this notion, I think common sense for a lot of people, especially those who don't have a lot of business experience, is that the more that you make of something, the more expensive it's going to But actually it's almost the exact opposite. Any firm that has survived, like over a period of time being able to make more and more of something has generally found ways of making more and more of the same thing using fewer inputs and less labor, like you know, and that's something that happens through automation, but it's also something that happens through administrative innovation and through and sometimes through less than than nice things, right through through through you know, Amazon warehouses where people aren't allowed to take bathroom breaks, or through sort of like you know, coercive measures that they can do because they've found a nice little spot in the economy that lots of people are depending on them, and they can dictate terms. But whatever it is, you know, as firms get bigger, it actually gets cheaper to make more of their kind of thing. So people in a bodega can't match Walmart's prices for everything from like hamburgers to detergent right, because for them it's more expensive to produce or to acquire. So what they do instead knowing this and they're able to survive, is that they do Walmart price and then they do a markup over Walmart's price. So in the same way that like by themselves, they would do a markup over their costs, Walmart's costs are lower and they do a markup, so they do a percentage over Walmart's markup, and as long as it basically is something that's doable in terms of cost, they do that, which means that they're basically advertising themselves to customers as the slightly more expensive but more local you know, more you know, more reliable or easier to get to you can just walk to the corner store or whatever, you know, whatever conveniences. They're kind of like justifying themselves with to the customer base. And in the cities this can be enough to keep you know, small to medium sized you know sort of retailers in business, although in the suburbs the competition is basically just all other ali gobalistic firms on Walmart's scale, like you know, Wegman's or in Florida it will be something like Public's you know, and that kind of thing so generally Vacola was discovering was I want to just emphasize Steve's point about replication. Like, you know, if a lot of the supply chain theory depends upon a story about prices that most economists just don't believe in. Economists believe that supply and demand are automatically adjusting based on changing prices, and that those adjustments determine in turn, how we spend and how we produce. You know, that's that's supposedly how everything works. They believe in this thing called the price mechanism. The supply chain theory depends upon a story where the vast majority of prices in the economy are a markup over costs or you know, beyond that some kind of strategic decision being made in pursuit of a certain strategy. But like, you know, if some studies had verified that, but then other studies refuted it, then you would have a situation like psychology, where you know, the psychologists are always saying all human beings really have a neck fetish. But then you know, because some study of like some college students you know, said this, and then six months later it'll be like, actually that failed to replicate this. It turns out that human beings don't have a neck fetish, you know. And I'm being rude to psychology, but this is a real crisis that happened there called a replication crisis. Now. Fred Lee that the economists who kind of like started us along this track in his famous book post KINSI and Price Theory, found seventy one pricing studies, and they form an appendix called Appendix B in his book, which ought to be legendary, but it's not, because all this stuff is very obscure. The seventy one studies from very different book length studies from very different people with very different like political and economic commitments. Some of them are business school literature, some of them are empirical studies commissioned by states or by corporations on how corporate management works. Some of them are by like Marxist economists, some of them are by neoclassical economists like and they all converge, no matter what the biases of the people of the people involved, upon this same kind of similar cost plus administered prices model. Vocolo writing now in the present day, not in the period that Lee was talking about, which is roughly from the thirties to roughly the nineties, Like you know, he's talking about the twenty twenties. He just went out and started talking to pricing managers and capitalists and all this other stuff, and lo and behold he found the exact same thing. So the the evidence base, the empirical evidence base for the underlying basis of the supply chain theory is very very sound. The ball is in other people's court, in mainstream economists court, who want to defend the supply and demand bullshit and the price mechanism bullshit to prove us wrong, because frankly, the weight of the evidence is so strong that they're the ones who who have to prove their case, not the other way around. You know that the what's it called when you when you've got the you know, the I think that the presumpture the burden of proof, thank you, The burden of proof is on their side.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so something also I think is really interesting from that color pieces that like, you know, there is a bit in there about firms that try to do this sort of like like in real time reacting to supply and demand stuff, and it's like uber and if you look at Uber's like, okay, so uber has a couple of things. One they don't have, like the thing that they're like they don't really have a supply chain really a B. They don't make any money. They never make money, they will never make money. And the other the third thing that's really interesting about is that like that kind of pricing, Like you know, if if you have some people who go in ideologically and or like we're gonna build an algorithm to like try to have pricing respond to demand or whatever it like, it fucking sucks and everyone hates it because it means that like, you know, suddenly, like when you actually need a thing, it's unbelievably expensive and it pisses people off. Like most most people who have to deal with actual like the normal things that a business do don't do. And the only people who do it are like the insane tech people who are like like, I don't know, I almost want to call it like intensely ideological and also assholes and also don't make any money, which is just I don't know, it's it's I think it's kind of a coincidence, but it is just very funny to me that the people who actually try to use the neoclassical like pricing theory. It sucks and everyone hates them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and uh, the Colo kind of summarizes like the several different uh pricing procedures that he witnessed, and to just say, like on both on both determining your company's costs and determining what market markup you should have, so the cost plus markup you need to you need to figure out both of those pieces. It's anything but automatic. Yeah, it's a very manual process. And even I would I would go so far as to say, like Walmart has teams of tech people, yes, but they're liaising heavily with the finance department and sales and marketing to determine what is an appropriate margin based on historical like in industry and sub industry trends and like what is our historical cost structure for each product down to the product level. And they have so many different products that they might actually say, well, because we're selling everything to everyone, maybe some things can just be what are called lost leaders and have a negative margin because they get people in the store, and then those people are there and they see other things which have higher markups, and then they buy those and then overall they've made more of a profit because they use something's a negative margin on them. And it's like it's a really complex process. And even if an algorithm is being developed by say uber to like dynamically priced things up and down based upon events like a baseball game or something they are going on in a city so they can get more revenue, that was still a people. It was a group of people in a room in a very extremely manual process. Coding is extremely manual still, and like lasing with like sales, marketing, finance people all at once.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And the other thing is that it's like supply and demand is a phrase that gets thrown around anytime that there's any kind of interaction between like the amount of people who want something and the amount of people and the amount of stuff that there is, right, which is a lot of different situations. But the specific supply demand price theory that's at the core of neoclassical economics is this price mechanism story whereby you know, companies basically all make one thing. The price of that thing is not something that is really under their control. It automatically fluctuates based on demand, which I guess you can roughly measure as sales and like the and in turn, like what the price of that thing is determines how much they produce and how much of it people buy, because people's buying decisions are in some fixed functional way, and people's production decisions, in some fixed functional way are tied to that price.
Speaker 5: Like if you.
Speaker 3: Want to create an algorithm that includes as a consideration doing a discount when you haven't yet sold all the seats in an airplane in the hopes that you'll get some last minute sales, which, by the way, statistically is shown to not actually help that much those kinds of last minute sales and discounts. I mean, I suppose in a flight where there's a time limited thing, it might work better. But for a typical product, it doesn't move the dial very much in terms of sales, which is why Walmart pursues an every day low price. Is strategy just keeping prices down in general, so you don't do sales and discounts which don't move the dial much. But like you know, that's a strategic pricing decision that you've chosen to make because you think that it might move the die in some way. You experiment it with it and see if it works or whatever. That's not the automatic lawlike functional relationship that is supposed to exist according to neoclassical theory between supply demand and prices. People will say that the algorithm is about supplying demand, but that's not really how it works. That's it's it's not the same thing as the theory, right. It's just a pricing system that takes into account among many other variables and usually not as the primary thing, whether or not. For example, there is available available slack in the in the you know, in what you're producing to be able to get some last minute sales if you do a discount or something like that, like or like Steve was saying, like, you know, there's a there's a game today, so you can do surge pricing because people are gonna you know that a bunch of people are going to want to get in the game. So you're basically just price gouging based on this opportunistically based on this event that's happening or whatever, like like, yeah, you can do that, and you can say that it's pricing that tries to take into account supply and demand, but it's not the supply demand price mechanism of neoclassical theory and also as McColo like you know, finds out it, attempts to do this are very very mixed in their success at best.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Basically, people who are trying to do it are like, yeah, maybe it could work, and then they try it and nine times out of ten it doesn't work very well, so they go back to some variation on a cost plus model, you know, or a price leadership model or something like that. You know, the kinds of methods that Lee discusses.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean the customer good will that you kind of put at risk with these more dynamic pricing models is like often a little too risky, Like even for big companies like Uber, Like there's been a backlash against Uber for doing that.
Speaker 3: Absolutely the only reason they can maybe get away with it has been because they have access to infinitive finance.
Speaker 2: But yeah, how long is that gonna last? Yeah? Like, and that's another thing that's interesting, Like, you know, this is this is does some except like a different economic question, but like you do at some point have to ask the question, like to to what extent can you learn things about the economy based on companies that don't have a revenue model, or the revenue model is they will continue to be headed piles of money by like the same seven billionaires they've conned, and that's like a I think there's an interesting interplay of how dependent you are on actually making like actually having revenue be the source of like the continuing existence of your company, and how ideological you can be about running.
Speaker 4: Do you have a game?
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, it's actually very funny that you say this because one of the people that Vocolo talks to is this guy Cohen. I can't find his first name right now, and I don't want to scroll up, but somebody who's last name is Cohen is quote unquote more skeptical of the of the dynamical pricing, and he says, I think it's a sexy idea and probably it has a lot of intellectually valuable pathways, except when it crashes into the sensibility of the customer. He said, it could create a universe of very inconsistent prices across categories in time, which I don't think human beings are going to align to. These dynamic models need common sense judgment attached to them, which is not always necessarily available. Now, this is a very diplomatic statement by somebody who's formerly of Sears Canada. Now I find this very funny because there's a kind of subtext here. Vocola doesn't get into it, but Sears Canada obviously kind of related to Sears. In the nineties, Sears had a CEO who was like this ultra libertarian, you know. He basically believed that the problem with the free market is that it's not free enough, right at the height of neoliberalism. So he's really pissed off about the fact that inside the corporation there's no free market. It's all a planned economy, you know, which is is true. There's no there's no market exchanges in there, Like, it's all allocations, Like, Okay, we have this goal, so we're gonna allocate these workers to this place and blah blah blah blah. You know, and and we're and and uh and you know, anything that the company owns, they just use it to pursue their goals. He wanted everything inside the company to have a price, so that everything could just be you know. But and this is kind of like mad scientist experiment done on this like very old American corporation. But somehow. I guess it was the nineties. You know, people were coked up on this kind of thing. They tried it, and it was a catastrophic failure that actually generally seen as contributing to the end of Sears as a as a major player in retail. And it's like, like, so it shows So I think that the fact that this person very diplomatically from Sears is like maybe this doesn't work, you know, and that might be born of more experienced than than than than not.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, okay, we have to go to an adrak before we that. I want to tell one more insane nineties Like, people in the nineties really really had market brain in a way that's like difficult to understand now. And you can even see this kind of through Obama, Like they really have market brain. And like I think the most market brain thing anyone ever did was the the the I think it was the Army joint. She's of staff brought in like a group of economists who were you know, like you were doing the whole like okay, we like, how can we make how can we use the market to make the army run more efficient? And the first polls that they put down on the table is we're going to have each part each like like each like section, like what's the type time declartim We're gonna have each branch of the military bid for control of who of who gets controlled the nuclear weapons. And there's a bunch of just like five star generals sitting at this table going like what the fuck are you guys talking about? This kid about And that was the end of like but that was like like peak absolute peak nineties brain of like these these people thought you could solve terrorism by like having futures markets on like where when terrorist attacks would happen, Like it was these people were wild. None of this stuff worked, unlike the products and services that you're gonna you're gonna now hear ads for and we're back from these fine products and services. If you're if if if the thing you were doing right now is you have your finger on the button. We are about to message Sophie about the fact that we have gold ads again, like please don't like please leave Sophie alone. Oh my god, I think we we've gotten we've gotten a little we've we've gotten sort of into the weeds of I guess like the kind of research stuff it's been produced, but I wanted to move on, I think to some of the some of the other like kinds of like I don't know, kinds of discourse and kinds of sort of work that's been produced out of this.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So the Cola's piece, I think was was very, very accomplished, and it adds to this proud tradition of pricing surveys, like you've been saying. But the the piece that I would say ended up having the biggest impact in this sense that it really kind of started getting followed up on by a lot of people and it cut a lot of attention was Tim Demetzio's piece. So a little about Tim. He's an economist based in Australia and I should remember the name of his university, but it was the University of something and it starts with W and it's a very long name there you go, University of Well. Yeah, and he's a political economist. He does a lot of stuff pertaining to kind of like international relations type stuff, but he also comes at economics from a particular perspective. So we mentioned last time that there's these the orthodoxy and economics. Is this one school called the Neoclassicals. Who believe in the supply and demand stuff and along with a whole bunch of other dogmas. Then there's a bunch of dissident heterodox schools. And there's a whole bunch of these, and one of them is called the capital as Power school, which is named after a book called Capitalist Power by these two professors called Bickler and Nitsen, and it has a lot of things to say about a lot of subjects. But so Capital's Power is a book that says a lot of things and a lot of different subjects, but at its core is the idea that what makes the capitalist system tick is the process of capitalization, and that that process of capitalization is controlled by certain people, and their control over that process is the basis of the entire economic system. That's very heavy stuff. It tends not to have to do with what we're going to be talking about, but it informs the perspective that Demutzio comes from. Now, Demuzio saw Steve's brilliant essay on the suplashing theory of inflation, was very inspired by it because there are certain affinities between the framework that we're coming from in this kind of research and the capitalist power framework. They don't agree one hundred percent on everything, but there's a lot of common ground there. So he basically hopped aboard to say, well, why don't we talk about interest rates? Because remember the main upshot of Steve's of Fred Lee's administrative crisis theory, and then and then by extension, Steve's theory about inflation is that inflation is not about money. It's about prices. And in order to understand inflation, you have to understand why people set the prices that they do, and why prices across the economy will go up at any given moment, because it's people who set prices, not the market, not the money supply, and not any of these other sort of automatic, general macroeconomic things. It's a microeconomic decision made by particular people within particular institutions, with the ability to pull the lever on particular prices. Right, So the interest rate is a price, you know, it's a very important price too, because.
Speaker 2: We should look, we should we should back off for a second and explain what when when you say the interest rate, you should explain what that is, because well, yeah, that's under explained.
Speaker 3: That's totally exactly where I was going because there's actually many interest rates out there in the economy. When we talk about the interest rate, what we tend to be talking about is the interest rate that is set at the central bank of the country that control of the currency under discussion, right. That is basically an interest rate that sets the price for credit for loans in the rest of the economy. And it's basically you can see it as a supply chain, even though it's not a physical one, and it's basically the main cost for banks that want to borrow, you know, and they then have to set a markup over that cost as the price for anyone who wants to borrow from them, which includes other banks but also includes end consumers and firms. So that's basically I mean, I'm oversimplifying and seeing probably a more nuanced version of this, but that's that's the basics.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Banks, just like any company, need to determine both their cost structure to the extent that they are able to themselves, and their markup. And the markup is they like banks, have costs just like anyone. One of their principal costs is their rate of interest that they pay on deposits of their customers in order to get them to get new customers in Like, that's one of their main services that they provide is checking checking accounts and savings accounts, and like, so, how much interest are you is a bank willing to set on its savings account is like an important decision that's like part of its cost structure. But where people if the Federal Reserve were to raise its federal it's a the federal funds rate, it's a principal policy rate up to what they have now five and a half percent or so, when it was less than one percent only a year ago, in order to compete with all of the other products which are based upon this so called risk free rate of return that the central bank offers that that governments used to like set the rate of things like treasury treasury bills and stuff like. Eventually, if you're a bank, you have to start charging higher and higher interest rates. Sorry, you have to start offering higher and higher interest rates on your savings accounts. And likewise you need to, like you need to start charging higher interest rates on the products that are your actual money makers, like mortgages and home equity, lines of credit and that sort of thing. And so like the cost so the cost structure of a bank will shift as the Federal Reserve is changing its policy rate, and so too will its margin over time as it competes with other banks, for like a narrowing pool of qualified mortgage applicants, and also for people who are willing to shop around for where to keep their deposits in a way that they previously they weren't because there was no sort of differential in interest rates at all. It was just being held steady.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, So the key thing to understand, and by the way, up to now, Steve and I have been describing what we regard as the real world. Like everything that we've just described, we can see it in action, like in the world right Like if the Fed raises this interest rate effectively, what that means is that this whole supply chain of people lending to other people, who lend to other people, who lent to other people, the cost of lending has essentially increased, which will eventually lead to a rise in the cost and the cost of lending to people downstream until for end consumers, which basically like firms and households trying to get a loan from the bank, those loans are going to be more expensive, and conversely, if the Fed's interest rate goes down, those prices will tend to go down as well, if you like.
Speaker 4: Crucially, none of it is just automatic.
Speaker 3: That's Y's absolutely true.
Speaker 4: There's even just just because it's a bank doesn't mean it's any different than the story that Facola was laying out for retailers.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm, that's exactly right. The Fed's rate is a very important rate because it's basically the first, the first one in this chain, and it's a cost for pretty much everybody who's doing business and dollars. But that doesn't mean that it in some simple way just controls everything else. You can hope that it controls if you're if you're the central banker. But of course all these firms are making their own decisions based on their own reasons, so you know, they can make all sorts of decisions based on their priorities and based on like like all sorts of things. Now, by the way, if you want the more detailed version of this story that actually talks about the different agents at each step of this process in much more detail, you should check out Perry Merling's work on this, and there's even online online lectures that kind of get into the nitty gritty which I have absorbed and then since completely forgotten the details of, so I would need to watch them again to actually be able.
Speaker 6: To name the names.
Speaker 3: But the point is that so far, so real right now, here's where things get a little bs. Remember that the mainstream theories of inflation are all basically descended in their DNA, even though they've been moving further and further away from it from the old school quantity theory of money, the idea that the amount of money in the economy basically determines the price level. More money that there is circulating, the less that money is worth because there's too much of it, so the price of it goes down, and the price of money basically determines like how much your money is able to buy. Now, people have been moving away from that towards theories that get more realistic but still retain the basic structure where the money supply is the main thing that matters, and they'll say, for example, that it's the amount of money circulating in people's pockets relative to the amount of goods being produced, such that if too much money is chasing too few goods, like there isn't enough supply to meet the demand, and that causes something, although people disagree on what, that causes prices to be bid upwards, and that's called the demand poll theory. It's the dominant theory that most economists, classical mainstream economists that you talk to today will will will pedal to you. The ones who are not orthodox monitorists, they still believe in this, which means that they still think that you have to when there's an inflationary event, you have to attack the money supply. Now from them, from their point of view, it doesn't have to do with the absolute amount of money circulating. It has to do with the amount of money in people's pockets relative to the amount of stuff that can be bought. So, if there's too much money in people's pockets, how do people use their money? They spend it on goods and services that are produced by firms. So if you reduce that amount of money, that basically the only way that you can do it is by putting people out of work, right, you know, because then they don't get the wages which they would have spent on stuff that you know, the factor is in Walmart and everything else. The agriculture and whatever, all the stuff that gets made, the goods and services. Now they think that if you raise the interest rate, it makes the cost of finance more expensive. Some firms are depending on finance, so if that cost increases for them, they're going to go under. And when they go under, people get unemployed. When people get unemployed, they have less money in their pockets, which means that they're spending less, which means that some other firms go out of business, and then those people go unemployed. Now, the of this is like the crash of two thousand and eight or nineteen twenty nine, where suddenly a whole bunch of people are unemployed and a whole bunch of companies are empty. They don't want to go all the way with that, but they want to kind of get part of the way to that. They want to put the squeeze on the economy and get some companies put out of business and some people unemployed on the dole so that people don't have money in their pockets, so that the supposed pressure of too many people spending money on goods that are not being produced enough to meet that demand, the demand pressure goes down, so therefore it equilibrates and inflation prices. Inflation ceases because prices go down too, because the idea is that there's a law like relationship between demand and prices, souch that if demand goes down, the price will go down. The actual explanation for this is will vary depending on the thing. They basically accept it as a religious orthodoxy and then different economists justified in different ways. But that that's why they're trying to raise interest rates so that basically people get thrown out of work and that'll cause prices magically to go down. Now, as we discussed, the actual cause of the inflation was an exogenous shock based on like the chip shortage, the labor shortage, and key things like agriculture, the container shortage and the war in Ukraine causing increases in grain prices that have caused cost increases. That firms tried to hold off price increases as long as they could, but then they couldn't, and then they traveled down the supply chain and a whole bunch of prices across the economy went up. So we know that because we have looked at the news stories that you know and talk to people at these different companies. We I don't mean strange matters. I mean, like you know, journalists or whatever, and like, you know, that's what they say. And yet nevertheless, they're trying to make the interest rates go up to throw people out of work and partially induce a recession in the hopes that that will drive is down.
Speaker 4: But they can't even get that right, that's right.
Speaker 3: They haven't actually haven't.
Speaker 4: Been able to get unemployment up either, So it's it doesn't work in either direction exactly.
Speaker 3: Well, and what's really funny is that Demucio basically says, Okay, why do people believe this? They believe it for a lot of reasons, but they think that it worked in the seventies. That's the myth. Right. You asked Larry Summers, why do you think this ship will work? And Larry Summers will say, well, you might not like it. And I think he actually said things like this, like a couple of weeks ago. You might not like it, but this is how we got out of the crisis of the seventies. If we hadn't done the vulgar shock, which is basically the same thing they raised interest rates through up the yazoo, you know, like like we and hadn't induced that unemployment or whatever, prices would never have come down. But you see, Demucio did something that you're not supposed to do, which is that he actually checked out on the relationship between between interest rates and prices. And what he found was that basically, there's either that I believe that I explained his essay is that there's a strong version of his argument and there's a weak version. The week version is definitely true. The strong version is speculative. So he charted it and he found that there is absolutely no inverse relationship between interest rates and prices. They raise interest rates, they raise interest rates, the prices keep going up. Then they're not coming down, right, and the prices don't start to go down until oil because remember the oil shock caused by the war in the Middle East between Israel and Weal and and Egypt and a whole bunch of other places caused opek to raise their prices in order.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's I'm gonna, I'm gonna, I'm gonna. I'm gonna point in a thing, which is that the actual story behind that is slightly more complicated, which is that, like, okay, so to be completely one hundred percent accurst about this, OPIK had a meeting where they decided to raise prices, and then the war started and then like like two weeks afterwards, and then they kind of ta their explanation on to the back of the price increase state already decided on. Oh okay, but yeah, so this this, this is the thing that like, I don't know there there there was a there was an oil historian who went back and like spent a bunch of time looking through the records of OPEC and shit and trying to figure out what the actual sequence of events was. But it it is true that like one of the things behind keeping OPEK together so that it could increase the price of oil was like the like what was their sort of solidarity and they faced the opposition of the war. But also it's slightly more complicated than that, And I want to I want to I want to put that on the record, just because the oil knowers will get mad at us. We Yeah, yeah, so that that that's the version of it that like like ninety nine percent of accounts will give you. It's just slightly not quite exactly what was happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I gotta wrote that book.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it was God, I remember what book I think it was in. I think was in Carbon Democracy, maybe like eighty percent. Sure, Sorry, I read like four books about oil and coal in like incredibly rapid succession, like several years ago, and sometimes I have trouble remembering exactly which one which thing is from. But yeah, although I want to say sorry, I guess I want to say one other kind of interesting thing about that that makes specifically trying to use the interest rates arguments about like I think it is it is pretty clear that raising the interest rates directly would like did not immediately did wasn't the thing that brought down prices. I think there's like an interesting there's like a weird thing going on there too, because the like almost like when when economists tend to look at this, what they tend to look at what the interest rate rises, was what was happening to the US economy and the other The other thing that the vocal shock did was it raised the interest rates on it raised it raised the interest rates in all of these audjustable rate loans that like all of these countries like all over the world had and those economies got fucking obliterated. And that actually I think, I think actually that there is an argument that like my my argument would be, I think it kind of probably prevented prices maybe from going up more, But it did that because it prevented any more opex from forming and just like absolutely annihilated any kind of political movement to like have pricing be set by like raw material producers rather than by like countries that do production. And this is a kind of like separate thing, but like this is I think, I think the moral of my story with this before we get back to sort of like the I don't know the the other arguments about this is that like that moment was such a fucking shit show. There were so many things going on, It's so complicated. It is absolutely nuts to try to base literally your entire theory about how you stop inflation by raising interest rates on one event in like probably the most complicated economic crisis, and it like we've ever had. And yeah, because like it it did, like the Vulcar shock did a lot of things that weren't what Volcar were not nottarily not what Vocal were trying to do, But it did a lot of things that aren't what economists talk about when they talk about what the Volcan shock did, like it had all of these incredibly like powerful political ramifications that they just don't put in the equations because it doesn't feel like how how do how do you mathematically model like the collapse of the like like the collapse of the non online movement and like the third world movement, Like you can't, right, and so they just sort of like wave their hands and pretend that it was just like directly it caused more unemployment, the unemployment prout inflation rate doown.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's interesting to think of the global effects of the Vulcar's shock. It's like you have countries who are dependent upon USD finance suddenly are facing much stronger dollar. So if they didn't already have dollars, that's a huge problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah and again yeah and again also just like like just literally the interest rates on their loans like increased by like twenty percent, and that's like, you know, like you're it doesn't really matter what your economy is, you can't, I don't know, it's it's unbelievably difficult to survive them like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, on the four x dimension and just on regular lending terms in dollar lending anyway, it's going to get way tougher. Yeah, even domestically, like to de Mitiu, superimposes the oil price onto the inflation and like the the inflationary crises of the seventies and early eighties, it was a double it was a double victim, if you remember. And so like the first time the FED chairman who proceeded Paul Voker was blamed for not raising interest rates during an inflationary crisis because of the emerging theory, said that maybe that would be a good idea, and so like the monitorists had like their one moment after that to say, like they where they became more than simply an academic movement and became like briefly hegemonic with the vulgar interest rate arise that happened to like set in nineteen seventy five or so, when the oil price was about fifteen dollars per barrel. That's when inflation and the oil price start to move closely in conjunction with each other, going into nineteen eighty, which is also when the interest rates are being raised more like give or take nine to eighteen months or so, and the economic historians, the neoclassical economic historians, will forget about the supply chain, pressures like the oil price, which has nothing to do with the FED, and like that happened in this inflationary when oil prices were up to like one ten. During our current inflationary crisis, this exact debate debate was taking place again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which like where it's like, I.
Speaker 4: Mean there's like all of the prices that the FED has no control over. It's like, well, if you ignore those ones, then actually, our theory is like kind of getting close to being right.
Speaker 3: And the worst part, the worst part is that the interest rate correlates positively with prices. This is so like so like so like the interest rate when it's high, theory expects that prices will be low. But actually and and and and like even if you adjust for like a delay where maybe like the prices get low afterwards, like no, that's not what happens. It's like the interest rate goes up and prices go up, to prices go down and the interest rate goes.
Speaker 4: You know, like like like it's like yeah and like and Demucio is like it hurt when he eventually he super imposes oil price, Fed funds, thoral funds, rate, and inflation all in one chart. It's just like this epic wave of all three going up at once, yeah, like almost in lockstep. And then oil goes back down, and then interest rates go back down, and then prices go back down.
Speaker 3: Yeah I can't. I think prices first before interest rate.
Speaker 4: Let me see, oh yeah, yeah, like inflation cress like yeah, somewhat concurrently with the federal funds, and then the UH oil price eventually falls like like shortly thereafter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then and this this just gives you a disaster, right because you like, okay, so the you will get neoclassical economists who are like, oh my god, oh no, all these idiots are saying that increasing the increasing the interest rate actually increases prices. It's not what happening. It's like you get into this mess. You have to figure out the new classical explanation, right, is that like, okay, well, the reason it looks like the fund rate increasing increase prices is because you do that in response to the inflation happening. Right, But like you can also just very easily look at this as like a panic index basically like where you know, it's like okay, well, prices go up, and then the Fed panics, and so they they raise their it doesn't and you know it like it's it's this is one of those things where like the neoclassical economists have invented a mechanism that like allows them to explain their own actions in a way that's plausible enough that they can call anyone that they've they've gotten a veegibility that could say anyone who says they're wrong is just like nuts, right, right, And also it's it's it's entirely possible that not only are they not right, they're literally perfectly exactly wrong.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and that yeah, they tried out the like the the econometric jargon long and variable lags, when people say, when our interest rate's gonna cause unemployments arise, when are interest it's going to cut down on inflation by themselves and not some other supply chain phenomenon, And they say, like, well, the monetary transmission mechanism has long and variable lags, which means that like ninety eighteen months from now, it will settle down and then we'll know it's from interest rates.
Speaker 3: Trust us, right, And even their purported explanations are demonstrably false. So theoretically, the mechanism by which this happens is that the monetary that the money supply will go down.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, M.
Speaker 3: Two is our best estimate for the monetary for the money supply, and it's not even a perfect one. You know, interest rates go up, interest rates go down. M two keeps going up. And this is over the course of like from the seventies to the nineties, you know, Like, yes, another graph of the monsios.
Speaker 4: That's another important point that like the money, it doesn't even get the money supply down.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So, like it's quite questionable whether this interest rate adjustment thing even works at all on its own terms, because all the and says that there's at least and this is what I mean by the weak version of Dic's argument that all the evidence shows that there's at least no relationship between interest rates and the price level. That there is like no relationship whatsoever. It basically just is useless for controlling prices one way or the other. The uh Now, the strong version of argument is he takes the he takes the the the fact that interest rates track prices very seriously, and he's like, well, what if making finance more expensive actually raises business costs? And businesses choose to respond to it by raising their prices. You know, what if you what if you actually, by raising the interest rate, are contributing to inflation. Now, this is this is kind of how we framed the whole article in our title editors make titles, not not not not writers do interest rate hikes worsen inflation? And I remember showing this to some of my friends who were financed bros. And they were like, what what are you talking about? This is crazy idea, But like it makes a lot of sense because if you look at things as a supply chain, at the very least, rising financially rising cost of loans would be a higher cost for at least some businesses. Theoretically they could respond to that by raising their prices. Now, in actual fact, it probably at least my solo opinion is this is a small effect. If it exists at all, it's much more plausible that there is simply no relationship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the general price yeah, and that and that and that, Like the fact that they're correlated is just it's just a panic index on the on the on the on behalf of the fed that they just get scared and do this thing and it doesn't it has no effect. But like you know they've got to press the panic button.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I'm for a variety of reasons. I think I'm a weak form demusiist on this point. I think, like, like, especially these days, there's so many other like a relatively small percentage of commercial and bussiness credit is variable right to begin with. These days, more of it is fixed rate, and like especially for more well certainly for mortgages, like it's it's like eighty percent plus approaching eighty five percent even fixed rate, which will not be affected. And then businesses have other so many other means of liquidity other than loans these days, particularly the like medium large scale businesses, like the you know, you can go to the capital markets, private equity or the stock market and get the funding you need. That I'm in ways that don't don't depend upon what the federal funds rate is doing or only weekly depend upon it. So it's just like there's so many other liquidity sources, especially like in the last thirty years or so, like well since since the Vulcar shock. Basically they've like all of these like private equity and other capital markets methods for liquid you have opened up and a good deal of the debt. A good deal more of the debt as a percentage of total debt is fixed rate, so like on that basis, and like all right, well maybe it doesn't maybe it doesn't increase prices, but there is at the very least, it's like non correlated.
Speaker 3: This caught a lot of people's attention, like ONCET, once you put this paper out there, this is one of our most successful essays because it got picked up by a bunch of folks, I mean, Investipedia cited it as a source. Economy called this a blog and not a magazine, you know, like like it ended up being taken up by another capital as Power influenced economists Blair Fix, who found yet more empirical evidence that there is no relationship whatsoever between interest rates and like the general price level, you know, and to the extent that there is, it's only because you induce a recession, you know that that that puts people out of work, in which case you've basically you know, you've in order to deal with a paper cut, you've cut off your hand, right and even then like they can't they can't reliably get unemployment up, you know, by raising rates. So like what like what use is that even if you accept that mechanism. So they found more evidence and then got even more attention. Cory Doctoro, the science fiction writer and futurist and kind of left wing all around public intellectual, he found both Demusia's study and Blair Fix's study and was like really excited about it. And after that it really took off. It started getting debated all over the place. There's a heterodotsy economics international organization called Rethink Economics, which is all about like you know, inciting pluralism and the discipline. And in their Australian blog, because they're all over the world, an economist called Matthew Harris, you know, took up took up the controversy and basically sided with with Demusio, like and JW. Mason writing in Baron's also basically sided with us in an essay called the Fed Can't Fine Tune the Economy. JW. Mason's very important heterodox economists who's often on the cutting edge of a lot of these kind of theoretical developments. Interestingly, the first fellow though, Matthew Harris at Rethink Economics, he actually found a study which I was not aware of, which is why I love these When we started all these conversations all over the place, people dug up stuff that we didn't even know about. There was a study done by the National Bureau of Economic Research by two professors from the University of Chicago, but notably they were not University of Chicago economists. They were in the University of Chicago Business School. And as many people have pointed out, you know, capitalists started business schools because economists are basically just propaganda, but like, you actually also need people who know how the world actually works in order to run your companies. So that's why economics and business schools are two separate schools.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is like a real like I remember this on campus. This is like, this is a real thing. Where like, if you're so the business school, if I'm remembering correctly, the business school is like is most I think it's I think it might only be a grad school for han So let me let me look this up. Yeah that was my memory of it. Yeah, so, so this is a real thing because because the University of Chicago doesn't have an undergrad business program, you get people who want to do business who go into ECON and the ECON people fucking hate them because they see them as like like they see them as sort of like like these like inferior like fly by night people who don't care about like the sort of deep like the deep math and like the deep sort of like you know, like intellectual like political pursuit of economics. They just want to like go be a business person. And this has really interesting effects because it means that like you know, like the business school, cause it's not like the business school is like a bastion of leftist or whatever, but they don't agree on stuff a lot because they're like like the the University of Chicago Economics program, it produces basically two things. It produces like a bunch of people who go on to be investment bankers where you don't actually need to know how a firm works at all, and then it goes on to produce a bunch of people who become economists and so like it's it's actual sort of ideological purpose is is specifically it's it's a school that trains other economists, right, it's a school that teaches like the ruling class what to think, whereas the business school is like the school that teach This is like This is a very very very explicit. It's it's something that like when you're there, you can like watch like in practice, the fact that these aren't the same thing, and the fact that like you know, they're they're they're they're going to produce different conclusions because you know, the the like because like because their actual like purpose is different. One is ideological, the other one is like making money.
Speaker 3: Yes, and and and this is a great case study of it because these folks at the business school, their names are Nil's, Nils Gormson, and Killian Huber, they actually went and asked companies what they do when credit gets more expensive. Now, according to the theory, and this is the most sophisticated theory, the theory that people at the FED will tell you, which is, you know, you might need to put a few drinks into them first, but you know, it's like we have to induce a partial recession in order to make it so that people have less spending money in their pockets and prices get bidd down.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: Theoretically, the mechanism by which this works at the individual firm is that the firm season that the cost of capital goes up and they invest less, you know, or just outright go out of business. Right, But in fact future investment is only weekly correlated to the cost of capital because of the limited transition into discount rates, you know, in other words, like basically there's no real effect.
Speaker 7: So yeah, you go around and do business service, sorry, go ahead companies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they do a good amount, if not perhaps most, of their capital investment from cash on hand before going before seeking out finance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that and that like, and that means that it doesn't have an effect.
Speaker 4: And then even if you need financing their non debt finance, there's like equity finance, either private or public, that you have as an option site alongside the debt options exactly.
Speaker 3: So we go from like a situation where we published this article in twenty twenty two, right, and it's got a title that for a mainstream economist, even a very sophisticated one, is unthinkable, like do interest rates hikes, you know, cause inflation to get worse or even just don't matter for inflation. But then suddenly, like you have a bunch once it gets taken up by a larger discussion, you have a bunch of quite rep people saying the exact same thing, citing us directly, and even in one case, six months after our article comes out. Lo and behold that a certain little known economist rights in the Guardian. In fact, raising interest rates could do more harm than good by making it more expensive for firms to invest in solutions to the current supply constraints. The US federal reserves. Monetary tightening has already curtailed housing construction, even though more supply is precisely what is needed to bring down one of the biggest sources of inflation housing costs. Moreover, many price setters in the housing market may now pass the costs of doing business onto renters. You know. So in other words, like maybe higher interest rates can actually induce price increases as the higher interest rates and do businesses to write down the future value of lost customers relative to the benefit of higher prices to be sure, a deep recession you know, parenthesis like the kind of they're trying to induce. That's my parenthesis. Back to the quote, a deeper session would tame inflation. But why would we invite that? You know, Oh, Jerome Powell and his colleague seem to relish cheering against the economy. Meanwhile, they're friends in commercial banking are making out like bandits. Now that the Fed is paying four point four percent interests on more than three trillion dollars a bankers or balances. Blah blah, blah blah. Now this little known economist writing for The Guardian is Joseph Stieglitz, who won the Nobel Prize in economics. Now does he cite our article who's talking points he's basically going through point by point. No, does he cite any of the better known places that cited us that are heaterodox. No, he basically presents it as if it's his own idea. Now, maybe he did have this idea six months after we started.
Speaker 2: Axtendid in like Stinglets has not had a single idea in like fifteen years. Like that man, Oh, that man is a transparent medium through which the stuff that he reads appears on a page. I'm going to be made. I'm I'm sick of doing this bullshit.
Speaker 3: And you know the worst part is, like, you know, this is something that happens a lot. There's an orthodoxy that says certain things that are nonsense. The heterodoxy goes through the hard work of like figuring out the reasons why it's not true and presenting an alternative model. It's denied at first, but then increasingly it's just plagiarized, you know, perhaps accidentally, probably not, you know, like like and that it's presented as if actually, this is what the theory has always been all along, you know, and like, how can anyone think differently? And it's this, it's this unfortunate thing because since the neoclassicals control the discipline, they control advancement through the ranks of the economists, so they're always wrong and never right, but they're never punished for it, and they control all the leavers of who gets to be an economist. So it's this sort of like continual, sad, unfortunate thing. But on the bright side, we were right. We were right early A bunch of people picked it up, and our talking points ended up making it too very very distant and well regarded places to the point where now it's it's a viable alternative that exists out there in the world in terms of like, you know, why keep raising rates it's not doing any good, It could even do bad. And that's the talking point that I don't think would have existed if hadn't been for Democio's research which depended entirely upon the supply chain theory of inflation framework that Steve developed out of Fred Lee's work, which is basically a research program that now the magazine has put out there in the world that and it is continuing to build up on that. That actually makes it make more sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I want to just sort of like take a second to highlight like how impressive it is had this happened, because like again like like a year and a half even like like like even like even like a year ago, right for the entire time I have been alive if you tried to say that raising interest rates raises inflation, like people would have thrown bananas at you, like like volleys of tomato. Was like they they would have like you would have you would have gotten sixteen contracts to be a professional clown like this. This was the thing that like you could not you couldn't even like suggest this, and you know, like within a pretty rapid span, suddenly like Stinglets is being like, ah, I want this very real. Maybe this is a plausible thing, and it's like, oh my, like I don't know, I think it's I think it's it's really it's really impressive watching how fast I don't know, like how fast the combinations of like reality and having an explanation of reality that actually like lines up with it has been able to change, like as been able to actually just sort of like change what the discourse at like the highest levels of power and sort of like what what has actually been happening in the economy like has shifted And that's wild, Like I would not have guessed that that that was the thing that was even remotely possible, and and yet we are now here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Overton window has shifted so far that like the idea that interest rates just don't seem to have any discernible effect upon the price level is kind of like becoming the base case.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so like the entire yeah, the entire spectrum has shifted like a strong form and have like I'm starting to use that phrase now, by the way, And okay, people won't be throwing a ton of they'll still throw something at you, but like it's it's like manageable now.
Speaker 3: I mean you can always point to that argument from authority but says it might be so yeah, so you know it's like.
Speaker 2: Es he won the prize, really prize to.
Speaker 3: Should say about.
Speaker 2: Want this is a whole.
Speaker 3: The so called Nobel Prize in economics is not actually the Nobel Prize in economics. It's that there's Nobel prices in science and you know, literature and all this stuff that's administered by the Alfred Nobel Organization and the fund that he left and whatever. This started in the sixties, like I think some seventy years after the Nobel started or something like that, and it was started by the Swedish Central Bank to imitate the Nobel Prize. So technically it's the Nobel Memorial Prize in economics, you see. And it's and it's just it's basically like peeling off the skin of the face of the Nobel Prize and then wearing it, you know, and saying, where we have a Nobel price too. Totally basically it's not. And you know, it puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again. You know, they did this specifically. There's a historian of of economics. Oh my god, what the hell is his name? The it's it's the it's the more heat than like guy. He's oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: I cite him in the Friendly thing and I can't Mosi.
Speaker 3: Morowski, that's the guy. Yeah, Okay, So he actually like went and like studied the origins of it, and it turns out that they specifically did it as a scheme to only give the Nobel Prize to people who are basically like neoclassical economists, and they mostly have so sometimes they've diversed, but mostly they've done it to very reactionary economists. In order to promote neoclassical economists in Europe, because it was stronger in America than it was in Europe, and in order to promote the idea of central bank independence, which is a fancy term for uh, you know, the a central bank should not need to operate under a political, uh a democratically controlled you know, legislature that says, actually, we don't want more unemployment because that would be bad, so don't do that. Like, instead, they should have independence, the independence that allows them to technocratically decide that it's time for people to get out of work, you know, and and and that kind of thing. So you know, that's that's the story of the Sokel Nobel Prize. It's really the fake Nobel, Yeah, which is I just.
Speaker 2: Call it the fake Nobel yeah, which is also really funny if you talk to other people, like specifically, one of the things that happened to me when I was in the university was like I knew a bunch of people who were like really really good at math. Like one of my friends was like like like actual genuine prodigy was doing like like was doing like like graduate level like math in high school. And if you talk to these people, and you talk to like math professors about the Nobel Prizes, they like they will like yell about it for like twenty minutes because the math is so bullshit. It's like, yeah, this guy like like the math involved in these Nobel Prizes are like they figured out too blos two weekos four and they gave them like this fucking fake Nobel prize. You look at like the fields metal and it's like, I don't know, like it's it's it's it's it's it's really nonsense. All the math people are really mad about the fact that the econ people think that they know math because they don't. And the consequence of this is you get these like that, you get people handing out Nobel prices for saying shit like the economy can't miss like the market can't miss price, like in like assets that are like the price of houses, and then the entire housing market immediately imployed because it was all miss priced. It's it's it's a disaster. It has been. I don't know. We should everyone at all times should be doing anti fake Nobeil price propaganda against the economics Nobel price, because it's it's it's fake and bad and we should all say it more.
Speaker 4: Uh, you know, there's on the heterodox side of things, there's some really promising uses of mathematical economics to create like input output matrices. Yeah, and to model, like do an io model of the economy that the math is very much subservient to empirical data that is coming in that trains them model, and it like like to so much of economics is well, data fits, data fits the model. Data fits the model, like over and over again when it should be the other way around.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, does the model fit the data, because if it doesn't, then you got to throw it out like this whole like raising interest rates is going to control prices? Bullshit? When has that even happened? Theoretically happened in the seventies, but then you look at it and yeah, it doesn't tell you that story. So you know, do they throw it out?
Speaker 4: No, like brief brief callback to Fred Lee's table table B was it?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, is the Blinder study in there? I forget?
Speaker 2: Yes, Yes, that's like an instance.
Speaker 4: That's an instance where Alan Blinder is and neoclassical economists who like, he messed up and did real science and what he found was was the administer price theory.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he made the terrible mistake of thinking that his bullshit theory would be vindicated and then it turns out that it was not.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's just like the history of intellectual thought for economics is like replete with examples where they kind of like they screw up and they actually do real science for a change, and like find things like cost plus markups happening.
Speaker 3: And he tries so hard to explain it away. You know, he's like, well, supply and demand exists.
Speaker 8: It's just that these prices are sticky because the cost of changing the price on the menu is actually too expensive, so they choose not to and that's why prices are sticky.
Speaker 3: They can't they can't change the stickers. You know, it's completely insane.
Speaker 4: The cost of admit there's a cost to administering prices themselves, and that's why they don't change prices. Like the price mechanism for neoclassical economics would suggest.
Speaker 3: To look for the stickers, and he couldn't find it. You couldn't find the costs. So he's like, well, I guess it's not sticky because of menu costs. It's like, I wonder what it could be. What a mystery?
Speaker 2: Okay, so we we should we should start wrapping up because this has been This has been a very long episode already, but I wanted to ask before we go, what what what? What are you all doing next? And what other incredibly funny economics discourses can we expect to have giant like creators punched into in the next couple of years.
Speaker 4: So one thing we've started to work on, and we've discussed a little bit on this podcast, I believe. Yeah, Well, Beck was the importance of for X foreign exchange for all sorts of microeconomic things like inflation being one of them, Like if you're a small country that that does not have hegemonic monetary authority like the US does to get people to use its currency and you have to go out and import things and some other currency. How does that affect your ability to socially provision yourself as a nation state and like do development work. And we're developing a theory of for X. Essentially that is it's a it's an extension of the chartlist framework that informs MMT, but with some important criticisms about how like the central MMT insights sort of is like you can create if you're the sovereign issuer of your own fiat currency, you can always provision enough of it to you can always spend as much of it into existence as you need to to do productive things. And yes, that's true. You can create infinity of your own money, but your own not other people's money. Yeah, so other currencies like if you're.
Speaker 2: Like, uh, really Sri Lanka for example.
Speaker 4: If you're Sri Lanka or Mexico or whoever, most of most of the world, basically you need to maintain and augment your balance of like the trading the major trading currencies US dollars, yen, the euro, to name three, and have balances of those. You need to maintain your balance of payments and your balances of specific currencies in order to meet the biophysical obligations that your whatever your development strategy necessitates, because in most instances, not all, but most, you're going to need to, like no one's going if you're Sri Lanka, no one's going to want to to transact in your currency. For major purchases of like staple goods. You're going to need to use like dollars or euros or end or are you on perhaps you know who knows exactly one of the major trading currencies.
Speaker 3: And this also raises the question of how it currency becomes a major trading currency, and that almost invariably takes you in two directions. One is which countries are powerful and able to industrialize and make capital goods that nobody else has that everybody wants a piece of. And two, which are the powerful imperialist great powers. And it turns out that those are the nexus that's created between imperialism, development, and the balance of payments. Those three things can't even be discussed independently of each other, and the politics of what is going to be used as the what Steve and I are tentatively calling the international means of payment, in other words, what you can use in international transactions across a whole region or across the entire planet. That is a hugely political question that all the major great powers in their interimperial conflict are constantly fighting over. So right now it appears that China is attempting to make a bid for a global yuon. First, they tried to do it through the digital un Now they're seemingly trying to do it through bricks by getting the other bricks countries to agree to a kind of EUON gold standard, mirroring the Breton Woods agreement that was basically the dollar piggybacking off of gold to reach global pre eminence. Will it work, will it not? Nobody really knows. It's a total mess. But in theory, that could be one way that you could suddenly have, like the yuon, at least in a certain currency zone, be used as the main way of doing imports, and if the US suddenly needs an import from that zone, which hypothetically, if it existed, right they couldn't use dollars anymore, or or maybe dollars would be at a high disadvantage, you know, in the exchange rate between dollars and that currency at that point, or maybe they would just be banned entirely from using dollars. They have to get it in that currency, which means is suddenly the US, which has basically been able to print for X, to print the international means of payment for some fifty years now, would suddenly have to actually hold reserves of this thing. Now, if we have to hold reserves of it, that means that we have to sell something to the people who issue that currency. That means that we suddenly have to worry about which firms are the most profitable exporters. And I bet you anything that none of our listeners know what the most important company in America would become if that situation happened. Is it Uber? Is it Amazon? Is it all these like Fortune five hundred companies and whatever?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: No, I mean it's one of the Fortune five hundred, But it's not like towards the top of that list. It's Boeing. Boeing is by far our single greatest exporter firm. It would be in a situation like this, the national champion, so to speak, to use language that's usually reserved for less developed countries than the US. And this is exactly the kind of like thinking that is important, because you know, obviously. The other thing that would happen if dollar hegemony ended is that it would be a huge economic crash in the US, Like suddenly the import the costs of importing anything that we're in that zone would skyrocket, and it would mess up, you know, our ballance of payments, and it would cause inflation, depending on how quickly it happens and how how little, how much or how little time firms have to adjust their supply chains and stuff like that. So it's, uh, this is exactly what you need in order to understand everything from the decline and fall of the Roman Empire to current geopolitics today. And and and I'm hoping that that Steve and I, through developing the theory, will create a general framework that can be used to tie discussions that people usually have in purely political terms about interimperial conflict into economic questions, so that there's no longer a kind of division of labor between between economics which denies the existence of imperialism. And then the people who study imperialism as historians or political scientists.
Speaker 2: Or whatever, stay stay tuned for more theories dropping at some point in the future.
Speaker 3: Oh and we should do our marketing pitch. If you like the stuff that you hear, you should seriously consider checking out the magazine which is at Strange Matters dot co op. And also please consider if you have the ability to subscribe or donate subscription storty five dollars. And it really, uh, it really helps because all the money that we get that doesn't just go to our capitalist overlords for basically like you know, paying for the services that we use to keep the website going and the magazine going. All of it goes to our writers, and we try to pay them a both market rate for little magazines of our size. So if you want to see more of this stuff and more arts, philosophy, anthropology, history, all the other kind of stuff poetry that we publish, definitely please consider.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we'll we'll put we'll put a link to the magazine and the description. Yeah, Steve GenZ, thank you so much for thank you so much for being on the show and for yelling at the kind of opriced with me.
Speaker 4: It's been a pleasure.
Speaker 3: It's been great MANA thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you can find us at it could happen here, but that happened here pod on Twitter and Instagram. Yeah, we have a website where we post our sources. It's schools on media dot Com. There's other stuff there. You should go there and yeah, go into the world and make life worse for mainstream economists. It could happen here. It's the podcast that's called it could Happen here. I think things fall apart and put them back together again, etcetera, et cetera. We're slightly rushing this intro because Garrison have to leave in like ten minutes, not ten minutes, but yeah, we're with the way. Yeah. So we've spent a lot of time covering the sort of various aspects of the transgend aside we haven't The aspect of the angle we haven't covered that much is The New York Times. And partially that's my fault because if I every time I try to write something about New York Times, it has devolved into about seven hours and me reading every single time The New York Times wrote an article that was pro Hitler. So you know, it's difficult to be what you would describe as reasonably objective when you're talking about these people and not just start yelling about the Iraq War. However, coma other people have done a very very good job about this, and things have developed in the sort of world of the New York Times printing just incredibly bizarre transphobic articles. And to talk about one of these things and some developments on one of their stories, we are talking to Evan erk Hard of Assigned Media, who has published a very very good story about some real nonsense that the New York Times and their journalists have gotten up to. So Fa, welcome to the show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thanks for having me. Always glad to talk about nonsense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been it's it's been a real time. Also, here is Garrison. Yeah. So I guess, okay, I think the place to start with this is getting people caught up with the incredibly bizarre story of Jamie Reid. So I guess I wanted to start there, of can you talk a little bit about who Jamie Reid is and how the New York Times and a bunch of other very less reputable somehow newspapers got involved with this.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So, I mean there are certainly reputable newspapers that have looked into the allegations of former Gender Clinics staff member in Saint Louis, Jamie Reid, and those organizations including local papers, have found that her allegations didn't hold up.
Speaker 4: This was.
Speaker 5: Months ago, kind of the beginning of the year, I believe. She kind of came forward with great fanfare and an alliance defending freedom lawyer and said that the gender clinic she once worked at was harming children. They weren't engaging in informed consent. They were pressuring parents to go along with these harmful treatments, horrifying stuff that if true, would be just a major, major scandal if true. And the allegations fell apart pretty quickly. Numerous parents and patients came back, came, you know, forward saying this is nothing like what we've experienced. Some of that was pretty directly refuting things that she said, such as, you know, kids never got any therapy. They just saw a therapist for an hour and an undercanologist for an hour and were immediately approved for hormones. And so people came forward saying, I did six months of therapy, I did nine months.
Speaker 2: I wish you could do that. Like no, like right.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 5: It was very wild and very discredited. And then, for some reason, apparently back in May, as Ing Graashi of the New York Times started looking into this story, and she didn't find anything different. I mean, if you look at her reporting, if anything, she found even more evidence that Jamie Reid is not accurate and not on the up and up. But the story that she came out with is really really weird.
Speaker 2: And and I think the thing, the thing that that is the most at least before the most recent round of incredibly bizarre stuff, the thing that's the most infuriating to me about the sort of Jamie Reid's story is that the thing that had come out by the time The New York Times is writing about it was that it looked a lot like if you look at the stuff that Jamie Reid had been doing and people talking about their experiences with her, it looked like she was trying to sabotage kids getting healthcare because she personally didn't believe in it.
Speaker 5: I talked to a parent, a parent who was also talked to by The New York Times, who had really just wanted like an educational visit for her like eight year old, and Jamie Reid said, we can't do anything for you. Sorry. You know, we can only bring you in if your child is an adolescent ready to go on hormone therapy. And so after the allegations came out, this parent got in touch with the clinic Jamie Reid had left, and they were like, what are you talking about. We do educational appointments all the time. Come in. They spent you know, almost two hours talking to the family about the different you know, medical possibilities in the far future and just you know, trying to help educate the kid about their body and their options years and years before they never did anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is really infuriating because like the actual story here is that you know, even even clinics that are like trying to do the right thing wind up with just incredibly deranged CIS people who basically can at every point in the process act as a gatekeeper and decide that like you don't get to get treatments, and that's awful and is one of them. I mean, you know, even even in place, even even in parts of the US, at clinics that are good, that is the thing that can just happen to you is you get the sort of gatekeeper stuff. But instead of doing that, instead of again covering the story they had been handed about someone trying to keep kids from getting health care, they did this they you know this, This turned into this like like full court press against Wait, Gary, you you're right.
Speaker 9: I closed my door because the air conditioner is way too loud. Only now the cats start screaming at the door. But now I open the door. They and they don't want to come in. They're just like all the threshold, just like staring at me, like make a choice, come in or come out.
Speaker 3: And I think we're leaving this in.
Speaker 2: This's great content. They're out, They're gone. They had their chance. They blew it. Yeah, what happens instead is is this sort of like full court press with a bunch of you know, starting in sort of conservative media and then moving into sort of liberal media, like using this story as an example of like why why we have to like stop like we have to shut down clinics and stuff while.
Speaker 9: Children's hospitals are getting bomb threats, Yeah, constantly, mostly due to kind of prodding by ghouls the Daily Wire who are hunting for clicks. And yeah, there's also a big part of this is like this tactic of attacking like healthcare centers and clinics proved to be a pretty good recipe to go viral. That's what the Daily Wire discovered. And that's something that New York Times certainly took notice of as well, is that, hey, this is this is a way to drive a lot of attention towards our website. That is just another another angle about this, this sort of thing which also like it leads to real world consequences, not just in terms of healthcare getting restricted, but also like threats of violence against doctors. The right has historically been completely willing to carry out acts of violence against healthcare workers and let alone you know, trying threatening to bomb a children's hospital.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and the exact allegations were were really devastating for these families. I mean, I love to Heidi, who's you know, her daughter's personal medical history was misrepresented, shared with the world, shared in a million articles, and used to to fuel gender firm and care bands, you know. I mean that is like really damaging for a like seventeen eighteen year old who's just trying to like live her life in kind of a conservative town.
Speaker 2: Which also and this is another aspect of this, is like she is sharing the private medical history of patients at a clinic, which you are not allowed to do. That is a which is very funny for people who rant about these all of these people all the time. We finally got one, we finally got an actual hippo violation, and h yeah.
Speaker 5: I think the hippa thing has been I mean, you know, as Zingeration could have gotten that story, I feel, I mean, I think it's been really undercovered. My understanding is that healthcare workers are not supposed to have to share information that's identifiable to the patient. And we have a patient saying I could tell this was my story. And so again I'm not a lawyer, but I think that people have underestimated the extent to which real families could look at these allegations and say, this is me, twisted, distorted, used to hurt my family and other families like mine, and there's kind of no outrage about that. It's kind of this neglected backwater of this story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean, I mean, the thing it reminds me the most of is the is the original like vaccines cause autism story where you have someone who is incredibly politically motivated, who is incredibly unreliable, who's demonishrably unreliable, who is not someone who's you know, who's someone who in the field. Everyone's like, what is going on here. This is complete nonsense who like misrepresents and just straight up lies about about like about about their patients. And then also it turns out like has abused their patients or in this case is not has abuse of patients in this case case like has successfully like stopped parents from being able to talk to the clinic about what the options for their kids are. But the media sort of doesn't care about that all. All they all they see is sort of this story and they they just sort of latch onto it, and then they spread all of this stuff and it's like, you know, it reminds it reminds me a lot of that where like, wait, we're still dealing with the consequences of just the completely fake bullshit about like vaccism, vaccines supposedly causing autism, which and again like that that's stuffing that never that never would have gotten mainstreamed if the media hadn't picked it up and ran with it. And yet you know, every single time one of these absolute like politically motivated frauds, it gets up on the stands, like there there's the New York Times doing doing their article about it, and and like.
Speaker 9: This used to be like Glenn Beck's territory, who would like bring out like a chalkboard and make like a make like a crazy wall with yarn and string. And now it's it actually has been relegated to the New York Times, the sort of the sort of coverage that they're doing over these types of like moral panics around healthcare. I think if you look at like Fox News twenty years ago, this was the type of stuff that they did for a long time before it was actually a little bit too insane and they had to like fire Glenn Beck.
Speaker 3: And it's this.
Speaker 9: It's the same sort of stuff now that's propagated by people like The Daily Wire and then picked up on by even more kind of mainstream publications.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think what's so insidious about this story in particular and some of the other New York Times stories is that they represent this as being their deep investigative journalism. They represent this as being the finest that the Times produces. And here is you know, the mother of a trans girl who went to the reporter and said, I can prove to you I have medical records, I have emails to prove to you that what is in this allegation is about my family. And isn't true. The reporter takes that and kind of sticks it in at the end, you know, like that it's not lying, but it is so totally distorting the truth that it feels like lying. It feels worse than lying almost.
Speaker 9: Yeah, especially because there's like like thousands of people who will just read the headline. They're not going to scroll to the bottom of the thing and read a little disclaimer, being like haha, JK.
Speaker 2: If there's a line on everything, that's not good enough. Yeah, And I think this gets into the part they So you very recently talked to uh, the mother of one of the girls who was you know who who to read has been lying about and.
Speaker 5: To three of the parents who who a zine had talked to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you discovered some very disturbing and incredibly bizarre stuff that a zine was doing to get parents to stay in the story after reads and like this was in her follow up story, after a bunch of people came out and were like, hey, this is like not correct, this person has in fact been lying about this. Yeah, So could you could you go into what you found about this?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: It was truly truly bizarre. I mean I going in there were some parents that contacted me because they'd spoken to a Zene Grashi and they were really upset about the story. And you know, I went into it thinking I'm going to do them a favor. I'm going to let them feel heard. They feel disappointed about the story. This kind of happens in journalism. I was not expecting what I got. So this parent had been very suspicious of a zine because of a zine's previous writing about trans issues, and so I think she and her family kind of were very cautious and very savvy, and they said, we don't want to be part of a story that's going to be negative on this clinic that we feel saved our daughter's life. So you know, I'm willing to talk to you, I'm willing to give you this information about this person who lied about our daughter's history, but if you're going to turn that into a hit piece on the clinic, we don't want to be part of it. And a Zene, you know, reassured her, calmed her fears, and so you know, they were going forward but cautiously. And then this mother sees a zine at a courthouse where Jamie Reid was testifying about the allegations in Missouri and just sees the warm relationship between a Zine and Jamie Reid, and she thinks something isn't right here. I helped her catch this person in a lie, but they're all, you know, buddy, buddy, that seems weird. So she, you know, she first went up to Jamie Reid and confronted her. She said, I'm liver toxicity mom, and you know, she again noticed that Jamie Reid is kind of saying how can I help you? What do you want and like looking to a zine like save me from this crazy person. And so that's when the mother said, we're out. We're not We're not going to be part of the story. And a Zene did not take that for a Yeah, it's nuts. She followed them to their car as they're trying to leave, She stood in the car door so they couldn't drive away, saying, you know, please keep talking, to keep talking. You know, I don't know exactly what she's saying, but like I need you in the story. And you know, the mom says like no, Azine, we're out. Could please step away from the car and they drove away, and then Azine called them and called them, and they picked up and A zine managed to convince them to let her come over to their hotel room. This is the night before the New York Times article published. And so now Heidi and her husband and Zene are in this hotel room and A zine is going paragraph by paragraph telling her everything that's in the story, trying to convince her that it's not a hit piece on the clinic, and the family isn't buying it at all. The family is like, no, you're describing a hit piece on the clinic where Yeah, But they're left with this horrible, horrible conundrum because if they actually pull out of the article, which as far as I can tell, they really did have this agreement. Again, azine wouldn't talk to me, so like it's a little unclear what the agreement was or exactly what's going on here. But in the end they decided, you know, there's no evidence that this woman lied if we pull out of the story. So they felt that they had kind of no choice. Even though they felt completely betrayed, completely devastated that their story was going to be used in this way, they felt they had no choice but to stay in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then like the and the way that like it ends the article like is is basically like the article is like completely supportive of Jamie Reid, even though again demolishably in the article she is lying.
Speaker 5: Such a weird article. You find someone's lying, but you're still spending all of your words saying, well, so she's sort she lied this one time, but she's basically credible. Just bizarre.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then you know, and the New York Times is response to this is like the piece you're referring to was rigorously a reporter and edited and thoughtful and sensitive to the moment. The time stands behind his publication. I'm reservedull It's like, well, yeah, of course, of course it meets the New York Times like incredibly demanding standards for journalism. These are the people who published like these are the people who published the yellow Cake Uranium story, like these people like these people have published things that like a a like these are these people have published off about the Iraq War that like British tabloids wouldn't publish. So like, yeah, it's it's not it's not I don't I don't think it's that surprising to me that, like the New York Times was like this passion editorial standards. But that's because again the New York Times backed Hitler and like deliberately good forth the entire country. You're starting a war by straight up lying about a bunch of stuff they knew was fake.
Speaker 5: Let me take a moment and say, there are a lot of reporters who work for the New York Times who do really great work, very very occasionally it's even about trans issues. But like it is certainly not a monolith of ridiculous nonsense. It's just all of the good work kind of camouflages the ridiculous nonsense. And them get it through when they when they go on a tear, when they go on a crusade against you know, against someone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean it's it's they. I don't know, New York Times. They they pick, they pick their moments to get incredibly ideological about this, and then they hide behind the more normal reporting they do in order to sort of like disguise the fact that again there's sort of this person knows that their sources lie is demonstrably lying to them. I just I don't know, it's it's the thing that was interesting to me about the story too, is that a zen as someone who up until this point like seems to it like like from from everything I had been aware of, A zine from.
Speaker 5: Asinine did really good me too, reporting, I believe. Yeah, the science astronomy.
Speaker 2: Community in astronomy, which I like. The thing I don't talk about enormously was that I did astronomy for a little bit. I didn't do very much astronomy, but there was a there was a small amount of time where I wanted to do astronomy, and so like I knew a bunch of the people like in that scene, as he had a very very good rep there, as like the person you could go to to talk about like like to do a B two story, which makes it even more weird that, you know, I guess this is just I don't know, I'm hesitant to just brush this off as sort of like trans brain, where like some like a sister reporter starts covering trans stuff and just completely loses their mind. But you know, it's it's a really startling and disturbing like shift from this person who had a very very good rep on yes, like as someone you could go to to like her standing in someone's car door trying to stop a family from driving away because they want because they don't want to be involved in a story where she's lying about them.
Speaker 9: Who who could have thought that a radical feminist could be trans exclusionary. It's just crazy people.
Speaker 5: People are complicated. It I think has to do with who she feels sympathy for, and women in science are maybe people that she feel sympathy for and who she or I have no idea what reason doesn't And like innocent parents of trans youth are apparently people she doesn't really have that empathy for, have.
Speaker 2: That ability to or the kids themselves apparently.
Speaker 5: I mean, as a transperson, I never expect a reporter.
Speaker 2: To have empathy for me.
Speaker 5: But these white parents, these middle class white parents, please, you must take them seriously.
Speaker 2: The other thing I think I wanted to talk about was the impact that this reporting has had on the broader So we we allude to this a little bit, but yeah, I wanted to talk a little bit about the way that right wing sort of right wing lawyers like right wing politicians have been using specifically this coverage and also sort of like the fear mongering around gender clinics as something they're using to support, like health to support healthcare bands, on trans youth.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Jamie Read's allegations directly resulted in a ban on gender affirming care in Missouri. You know, there were families that were going to the legislature week after week and we're keeping it at bay, and then these allegations came out and it fell apart and the care ban was passed. And you know, it would be bad enough if they found a bad clinic, but you know, there's nothing miraculous about doctors who treat trans people that makes them incapable of being an ethical you know, like it would have been devastating if it was the truth, but for it to have been, you know, all based on lies, is it's just a really tough blow.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, like, you know, like I have friends there, and it's it's like it's bleak right now, and I think I've been really you know, I mean, I don't know why I would I expected these people to sort of like even remotely feel a single emotion about the fact that directly the stuff, the actions that they did led directly to a bunch of kids losing their health care. But you know, there's been no there's been no reckoning with this. Right as best I can tell neither the New York Times nor any of the journalists, involve, any of the editors, any publishers, none the people seem to care at all about the fact that they're about their work directly is leading to the suffering and possibly death of children. And I don't know, like I I this is one of those things where like either either something about this changes and you know, we get to a point where it's unacceptable to sort of do this kind of stuff, or we just you know, we wait for the next rounds of journalists to like find some absolute crank who they like dug out of some like Derain super Room MC mansions somewhere to like push push another one of these stories. Because right now, like this is this is disappears to just be an established path that you can use to sort of like you know, but from from both ends, right, the thing you can use the journalist's advantage career. It is the thing you can use as like a crank to be suddenly on the talk shows start going to get a bunch of money. It's just lying about all of this stuff, yep.
Speaker 5: And I mean, you know, you try to inject some accountability, but you can't make people listen. Yeah, this is what I do every day, and I'm going to keep doing it. But I'm under no illusions that since people are necessarily going to start listening, it's just you got to put it out there.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, I guess two more things I wanted to ask about before we sort of wrap up. One is, Okay, so, on the off chance that there are SIS journalists listening to this, what kinds of things would you recommend to them to, like to to make sure you a don't fall down this rabbit hole, and b to make sure that if you are attempting to write a story that is good, that you get things right.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So, the trans Journalist Association recently published an updated style guide, which I would absolutely suggest people check out because it's much more in depth than anything that I can say. But I think that the biggest pitfall people have is thinking that they understand more than they do so, and I think that the kind of connected pitfall is is just a wow, there's smoke, there's fire, like, well, there must be more to the skeptical side than there really is. So while I, you know, always try to butter journalists up by saying you can make up your own mind and you know, look at the evidence. Like, really engage with trans people who are not just telling their stories, but who are science porters themselves, like myself. Really engage with experts who are not trans, but who understand this medical information and are representatives of a mainstream medical consensus, and really try to, you know, understand that the experts are experts for a reason, and the mainstream consensus is a mainstream consensus for a reason. And don't be so quick to just assume that a bunch of activists and cranks know something that everyone else is trying to keep from you, because that is a conspiratorial mindset that is below you as a mainstream cisgender journalist, and that you wouldn't be falling into with you know, masks or anti vacs or whatever. And it's just because trans people are marginalized that I think people are kind of falling for this crap and getting rolled.
Speaker 9: You are not a conspiratorial thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, and this is this is something, This is some thing I'm going to talk about at length more in one day. The like sixty five thousand word thing that I've been writing about, the lab leak stuff is going to come out and you know, one of the god I have spent so many hours talking to epidemiologists. You have no idea, but one of the things that you know comes up there, and it comes up also just in general science, conspiratism is if someone like people who actually do normal science do not start yelling about how they're being censored by the scientific establishment and like there's a giant conspiracy to stop them from talking about their work, even people who legitimately are being like actually screwed over by scientific establishment, right, people who have been abused, people you know, like people of color, people from marginalized backgrounds, who like like, I know these people, right, I grew up with a bunch of these people. They don't talk like this about that. The only people who talk like this are absolute cranks. And it would be really great if journalists realized that actual scientists don't talk about science in a way where they're like, ah, the medical establishment is sensor me. I would I would love for that to happen.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm skeptical that it will happen because it's I mean, it's a great story.
Speaker 5: Everyone knows that there are times when the medical or when the medical or scientific establishment is wrong, You, as a lay journalist, are probably not going to be able to tell I am sorry which times those are so slow your role. Don't envision pulitzers and get grounded on you know what the basics are, instead of thinking that you kind of know better than the people who spend their lives researching. This is my entreaty to journalists who maybe don't realize how transphobia might be playing a role in there wanting to believe certain things.
Speaker 2: Yep, and I guess the last thing I wanted to ask you about. Yeah, I wanted to ask you about the trans Data Library because I'm very excited about this. This sounds rad.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So you know, a few months ago I started working and you know, with some other people in the trans community, most of whom are you know, staying anonymous on a resource to try and help people who you know, we've really envisioned people who are in good faith, but trans issues are not their main thing, you know what I mean? So like not somewhat not as Ingoatie, but maybe a Zingerashi of five years ago, you know what I mean, the person who's a journalist who wants to get the story right, but there's so much misinformation out there. There's so many groups with so many different names. They're very skilled sometimes as presenting themselves as you know, legitimate. So this is the trans Data Library upcoming hopefully by the end of the month, is going to be a kind of you know, Wikipedia for the user, not Wikipedia and not like edible by the community, because that's very bad idea for trans stuff. I mean, a resource on what are these groups, who are these activists, what have they done in the past. It is intended as a journalistic resource, not an activist resource, which just means, you know, if someone is there isn't anyone like this. But if someone is a Nobel Prize winning scientist, we're not going to pretend they didn't, you know what I mean. If someone has legitimate potentials, you will find that out. If someone has said things that are discrediting, you'll find that out. But it isn't just a list of the most discrediting things someone has said, and we are going to, you know, directly try to get this out to journalists, local journalists, particularly people again who have decent coverage, not people who are you know, already on a tear and to democratic politicians who similarly are you know, sympathetic but might need an extra source of information, and yeah, it is, it is coming. I want people to be aware of it so that they can start spreading it and sharing it when it does, so that we can hopefully try to, you know, just get some basic information into the hands of people who I think desperately need it. They may not know that they desperately need it, but desperately need basic information on some of these groups and some of these bad actors.
Speaker 2: I think that's definitely a good thing because there is a lot of information out there on the connections between you know, the sort of right wing grifters who come out of the woodworks talking about this stuff, and you know, they're they're they're they're they're sort of demonstrable links to far right extremist groups, to the Proud Boys, to you know, sort of right wing think tanks. But that's stuff that like, the the subset of trans people who spend their time doing this are all very well aware of, but the reporters who are sort of venturing into the space for the first time don't know about it all. And yeah, having having a thing we can put into their laps being like, hey, this is these are all the people who are like getting paid by the lines depending freedom yeah stuff, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's what I'm hoping to make. So the u RL is probably going to be trans Data Library dot org. It is a little broken right now. Go to a signedmedia dot org. You follow me, follow my Twitter, follow my project, and watch that space for the trans Data Library because I'm hoping it can do some good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm I'm I'm excited for it. And yeah, do you have anything else do you want to say before we close up?
Speaker 5: I think that's it for me. Thank you so much for having me on. This was really fun and uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, thanks for coming and thanks thanks for reporting on the story, because lord knows, the rest of the media wasn't going to do it.
Speaker 5: That's why I started doing it.
Speaker 2: All right, this has been It can happen here. You can find us on Twitter, Instagram. It happened here, pods and yeah, go into the world and be better about this than The New York Times, which is not an enormously high bar, but it's a bar they consistently failed across. So you too could be superor have superior journalistic ethics. The New York Times.
Speaker 5: Ah, this is what I tell myself every day.
Speaker 1: Welcome everyone back to it could happen here a podcast about things falling apart, and sometimes stuff that's slightly less depressing than that, but not today. Today we're talking about the falling apart sort of thing, and are our you know, continuing coverage of what we like to call the crumbles. Here today leads us to a little state called New Mexico, and specifically a little city in New Mexico called Albuquerque. If you have been kind of casually skimming the news about the American Southwest, you might be aware that the governor of New Mexico has recently announced a ban on citizens carrying openly or concealed with a license, firearms within the county that contains Albuquerque. The justification for this is a recent surge in gun violence in the state, most of which is centered on Albuquerque. And this is there's a been a pretty over the last specifically the last year, a pretty dramatic increase in the number of shootings from twenty twenty one to twenty twenty two. The number of shootings in Albuquerque or murders, I should say, most of which are shootings, also about eighty four percent the number of murders in Albuquerque almost doubled. I think it's and I think still you know, it's gone down a little bit this year, but there's still about fifty percent higher than the normal rate. Now, as you might guess from the fact that you've probably watched Breaking Bad fifteen years ago or whatever, the drug trade, drug trafficking, drug deals gone bad have something to do with this.
Speaker 2: But I think this year.
Speaker 1: About seventeen something like that, seventeen twenty percent of the homicides in Albuquerque are drug related, but a much higher number above seventy percent. The police have given the kind of primary cause as individual disrespect. Now what does that mean, Well, it means kind of what you think of it. People getting into shit with each other and somebody pulls a gun.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 1: A lot of these have been traffic related, and in fact, the shooting that kind of most directly inspired the governor's controversial legal measure was a road rage incident. About what was this, Yeah, on September ninth, I think it was. An eleven year old boy was shot and killed in a road rage incident as his family was leaving a minor league baseball game. It looks like his aunt cut off another driver. The driver followed them and fired seventeen shots into the car. The eleven year old boy was killed and his aunt is still in the hospital in the unstable condition at least last I checked after this shooting. And this is, by the way, you know, prior to this, there was another case where a little kid, I think a four year old was killed in another road rage shooting incident. We don't know who shot the kid in this instance. We don't know if it was a for example, a citizen legally carrying a firearm or somebody. Although in the state of New Mexico you are allowed to carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle. You're not allowed to walk around with it concealed without a license, but you're allowed to conceal it in your vehicle. The shooting that preceded this one, the road rage shooting, wasn't illegal shooting. It was because the guy was a drug dealer. He had illegal drugs on him, all that stuff. But yeah, it's messy. So really, in response to the governor's proclamation, there have been quite a bit of people have gotten angry, in part because the Supreme Court ruled fairly recently that you have a right to carry a concealed firearm. There are some barrier states can set up in terms of licensing, but you can't stop people from carrying, like you have to have a legal avenue for people to carry concealed firearms. That's something that the Supreme Court has said you have a right to do, and governors do not have the right to overrule that sort of thing on public health grounds. So this has become an increasingly contentious issue. We're going to talk about some of the things that have followed from this, but I want to bring on our source for the day, Lucas Herndon. Lucas is a New Mexico based activist, someone we've had on the show before as well as a gun owner.
Speaker 2: Lucas, Welcome to the program, Thanks Robert. Good to be back, sort of as always. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, this is a messy one. Yeah.
Speaker 11: So that was a good a good summary of of of what got us here this the the executive order was dropped Friday afternoon, and I immediately went to my work chat and said, hold on, y'all, this is going to be a wild weekend. And as you can imagine, it was. There has been incredible responses from sort of everybody on just sort of yeah, despite political ideologies.
Speaker 2: The responses have been swift and ranging in their.
Speaker 6: Loudness.
Speaker 11: Let's say, uh, and it's created uh yeah, national buzz. A number of right wing talking heads from the state have now you know, been brought into national talking spaces. We have seen the news bounce around the far right blogosphere.
Speaker 6: And you know, it's made it to.
Speaker 2: Alex Jones and that kind of ilk.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 11: But then of course, you know, and so obviously there's there's that far end of the spectrum, and you know, then there's the response here in the state, which is you know, ranging from supportive, too indifferent, to angry.
Speaker 1: To all you know, all the different things you can think of. Yeah, one of the things people may be kind of confused about this. One of the things that's problematic about this is specifically the fact that it is restricting citizens who have concealed carry permits from continuing to carry in the county. States have a right to at least currently the Supreme Court has not you know, ruled counter to that. Currently have a right to restrict people from open carrying, and you have a right to restrict people from doing stuff like have unlicensed carrying a handgun in your car. Right in the state of Oregon, for example, you cannot carry a loaded weapon in your vehicle without a concealed carry permit. As far as I'm aware, there's not been any sort of constitutional challenge to that. There may be in the future, but the Supreme Court, you know, has ruled very differently on the issue of concealed firearms, and so that's a problem because, you know, regardless of what you think about how the law on concealed carry of firearms should be, the idea of a governor overturning a right like that, access to a right like that based on what they call the public health emergency is deeply concerning, you know, which is why you've had, you know, a surprising people come out against this, including David Hogg, who's one of the Parkland kids, and a gun control advocate who said, you know, the govenor simply doesn't have the right to do this, which is kind of more or less where I land.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and you know, and just to be clear, right, I'm not an attorney, but yeah, I am a gun owner and have exercised that right since I was legally allowed to do so. At eighteen, which was very long ago at this point. So, yeah, I've been I have been a New Mexico gun owner paying attention to things and how those laws affect me for quite a while.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 11: One of the yeah, one of the interesting things about the executive order, and you sort of touched on it, is that the in in the in the order, it specifically limits having a firearm in your vehicle to traveling to any excluded place that she listed in the executive order. Right, So so there's there's a there's a ban on you know, carrying unless you're going to like X, Y or Z specific places, and that then is furthered that you can only have a firearm in your vehicle if you're traveling to one of the said places. So yeah, that's that is in direct contradiction to existing law because New Mexico, in ostensibly your home or your car is an extension of your home. You don't there is there There basically is no law about having a car firearm in your car, which has led to some weird things because so for instance, you can get a dui on a bicycle and so that law has actually been used that you can carry a concealed firearm like in a backpack on a bicycle, but the second you step off the bicycle, now you're in violation of the law unless you have a permit. So, you know, those specific pieces of gun law and her executive order, even in the state are at odds, let alone, whatever the maybe you know, the federal implications are yeah, and I.
Speaker 2: Think you know.
Speaker 1: One of the things that is kind of concerning about this to me is and that should be concerning about these people, is that I don't see how I can see an argument for saying we want to restrict the unlicensed carry of firearms in vehicles, right, because not a significant number of these shootings seem to have involved that. Although it is a little bit unclear. We don't know who carried out the most recent road raid shooting, so we don't know if that person was legally allowed to pass as a firearm. Right, we know that in at least one of the recent shootings that killed a kid, the person was, you know, had a dealing amount and what appeared to be a dealing like setup of you know, it was parceled out into baggies marijuana on him, which is illegal. I'm not making a moral statement about that I don't think it should be illegal to but it is, it is illegal, right Like, he was not carrying within the bounds of federal law. But restricting people from carrying licensed concealed handguns does not seem I mean, number one, I haven't seen evidence that like that's a major driver of gun violence. But number two, if a decent number of these shootings are people acting outside of the bounds of the law, which they appear to be, I don't see how restricting people from lawfully carrying a weapon is something that can that's going to make the problem better, right Like, it seems like you're kind of striking at this in an ineffective way that's going to galvanize resils distance to any kind of gun control, as opposed to going out with kind of a more limited and surgical approach to try and actually tackle the causes of the problem.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean, I think one of the reasons why being on your show to talk about this is worth thinking about. The last time I was on was, you know, earlier in the year when there we discovered that there was a GOP operative who had committed acts of violence in the form of shooting at Democrats elected Democrats up in the Bernoleo County area as an act of political violence and worth thinking about is that, you know, he was charged with firing a firing a firearm from a moving vehicle, which is a crime, like.
Speaker 1: It's a specific crime, which and also like very valid crime.
Speaker 2: You should not be you should never shoot from a moving vehicle.
Speaker 11: Like that's correct, that's press so the right, so we you know again yeah again not a lawyer, however, it seemed duplicative to have a law on the books that already there.
Speaker 2: It is a crime to fire your gun from a car already h.
Speaker 11: And people who have, people who have committed heinous acts of violence by violating that law could be and should be charged under that law. First of all, let me just say, like, if we believe in a car serial state, because that's a whole other moral question. However, if for the purposes of this conversation, however, if somebody is just driving down the street and has a gun in their car, does that create you know, are they are you know, are they committing a crime that feels conflicting and harmful?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's you know, as you there's a couple of things we should talk about here. I think one of them is what I what I consider to be a kind of a dishonest anti gun control argument that comes out from time to time, which is the idea that you shouldn't restrict access. You can't restrict access to firearms because criminals won't obey those laws. It's true, criminals don't obey like people who are committing gun crimes, are not obeying the law by definition the people who are committing gun crimes. But increased availability access to firearms makes it easier for people who are going to be bad actors to acquire firearms. Right regardless of what you think the legal remedy to that situation is, that is a pretty undeniable situation. I consider this to be quite different, because what you are saying in this instance is we are restricting We have people who are not acting legally with firearms they already own, So we are going to restrict people who are acting within the bounds of the law with firearms they own from behaving in a certain way, which I have a serious issue with. But I do think that there is a difference between those two kind of situations on a pretty fundamental level. I would agree and and and the disingenuous, knee jerk response from the far right over this, while completely expected, that's exactly what you know, that's exactly what they're doing, right, They're equating this ill informed, uh poorly worded however you want to say, they're they're they're taking this thing and using it as a pretense for all their uh far right propaganda extremes, you know, calling to impeach the governor because she's you know, intending to violate the constitution or some silliness like that, which is yeah, which is just yeah, it's that's just far right conspiracy mastormation, in my opinion, and it has galvanized them. Right, there's been an open carry protests already, and the sheriff saying or one of the sheriffs in the area saying like, I'm not going to we will not be enforcing this law.
Speaker 11: Well and and yeah, and I think that that's actually maybe something that for this podcast and for for your audience, for those longtime listeners who who followed this show, that to me is actually one of the most maybe interesting and like crumbles oriented parts of this Yes, yes, absolutely, yeah, so yeah. So yesterday the berno Leo County sheriff, who is an elected official and it is his county that the that this executive order effects, came out and said that he would not enforce it. He said that the uh he'd got he'd barely gotten a heads up from the governor, but he did admit that. You know, she she sort of like reached out to him, said hey, I'm gonna do this thing. I know you probably won't agree, and he's like, yeah, I don't agree, and she's like, okay, well we'll figure it out.
Speaker 2: And he was like, okay, I guess we will anyway. Uh. Yeah, So this he came out, made this announcement he's not going to enforce it. The the chief of police from the Albuquerque depart has more or less made the same intonation, with support from the very progressive Democratic mayor of Albuquerque, who hasn't necessarily outright said he disagrees, but has said that he's more concerned about his officer's safety. And that brings up an interesting point that like, oh yes, like like cops trying to enforce this law like that sounds like a recipe for disaster, which is which is why you didn't see any cops enforcing the the order at the protest on Sunday. Yeah, and it is one of those like why why would you write like that's such a yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 11: So the most recent thing this afternoon is that the the state's attorney attorney general, whose whose job it is to defend the state or you know, officers of the state, has announced that he will not defend the governor in his official capacity from the three current lawsuits that have all right been filed since Friday. So so yeah, there there basically seems to be this complete lack of support from the from the parts of government that are supposed to do the things you know, yeah, absolutely, and and you know, it begs the yeah, it for those of us that think about these things, it begs the question of, yeah, how far does this go? What is the next you know thing that a sitting governor attempts to pass using administrative power and then isn't enforced, And what does that mean? And how do we care about this one but not other things or you know whatever? So those are those are the questions that that we're all asking ourselves here in New Mexico, And as somebody who works in this field professionally, like we've spent a lot of time in the last forty eight hours, like asking ourselves those questions.
Speaker 2: It's tough, it's there, there is a there isn't an easy answer.
Speaker 5: On this one.
Speaker 1: And this is something by the way, that is I think pretty directly relevant to everybody listening because one of the stories probably under reported stories. We've talked about it from time to time here, you know, it was something that kind of was in the DNA of the original you know, run of it could happen here, but probably we could stand to talk about it a lot more. Is the rise of the most common term these guys use for themselves as constitutional sheriffs, right, And there is this this is a long standing belief on the far right. It comes out of really the seventies and eighties is when a lot of this stuff started cooking. But this belief that has kind of formed over you know, particularly the last twenty years, that the sheriff constitutionally is the highest law of the land, basically, right. And so you can have sheriffs who refuse to particularly and this is where it comes in most often refuse to enforce gun control laws, right. And this has sort of you've got a lot, you know, a lot of some of this came got sort of like mixed in with a lot of the election bullshit on the right, where like you had a lot of sheriffs, you know, there was a lot of concern as to how they would respond to states and the federal government sort of enforcing, you know, or stopping, you know, the Trump administration from doing certain things around the counting of votes. You know, there was a lot of real concern about that. And I think this is something that is going to continue to be more and more of a problem because a lot of these sheriffs departments are completely out of fucking pocket, right these are. And by the way, with sheriff departments, not that being part of a police hierarchy in a traditional sense provides much restraint, But sheriffs are completely fucking out there right like they are there are not It does vary from state to state, but there's not any sort of like central requirement about like what it takes to be a sheriff or a sheriff's deputy. A lot of them are just dudes, right Like That's why you had it was either in New Mexico or Arizona, like a small sheriff's department basically selling to like celebrities. You can become a sheriff's deputy here like work a week and a year, and then you can carry a concealed handgun wherever because cops get that, right, you know, right right, yeah.
Speaker 11: Yeah, So I just want to be clear because what you're talking about and how it pertains to New Mexico is both one hundred percent correct and has and has and has happened here, it could happen here is But in the case of this issue right now, bring up yeah, yeah, bernal Leo County sheriff took office this year.
Speaker 2: He is a Democrat. He's a man of color.
Speaker 3: Uh not.
Speaker 2: This is not me making excuses for cops, cuse, but I just to be clear about this.
Speaker 11: And he is generally disliked by the right and has been seen as you know whatever, soft on crime and stuff, which he hates and has tried. He's tried real hard to sort of buck that position, and and so and and that, which which makes this all the maybe worse right that that Yeah, yeah, a Democrat elected in a democratic county with a you know, the city, the state's largest democratic municipality, right, like, for that guy to be like yeah, I'm not gonna I'm not gonna do this. And and I also there's something that needs to be said here. You you cited some great, well tragic statistics about my state and specifically about Albuquerque earlier, and and this is a public health crisis, right gotten by absolutely yeah.
Speaker 2: It's out.
Speaker 1: When you're seeing the number of homicides basically double, you know in the space of a fucking year, that that is a that's a crist Something needs to be done.
Speaker 2: Right, right right.
Speaker 11: And and so one of one of one of the big things that hasn't I don't think been said loud enough is that if if we you know, you know, if we all agree that it is a crisis, a thirty day ban is not gonna it's not going to do anything, and it's certainly not going to address the root causes. And I actually, very reluctantly have to hand it to the sheriff for his statements yesterday, because, as he put it, he has enough crime to deal with, He's got enough going on that his deputies have to have to deal with right now to then go and enforce this arbitrary rule or you know order. It's not a it's not a lot, it's but you know what I mean. So so that's another thing, right, like, this is your You're we're dealing with a public health crisis by putting the impetus on law enforcement, which is the whole problem with you know, the way that this country deals with you know, the quote unquote drug problem. And and let's be very clear here, when the governor issued her order on Friday, she issued two orders. One is called the one with the one with dealing with guns, is declaring state of Public Health Emergency due to gun violence. But at the same time, she issued one saying declaring State of Public Health Emergency due to drug abuse. And there, you know, for her, these things are related, and and she's you know, she's trying to time together. And I think we all know that given the last forty years of American history dealing with drugs via you know, law enforcement has not done anything to help the problem. And so that it just again, this is one of those things where it feels counterintuitive for a governor who you know, generally the Democrats of this state support, who has won by fairly large margins in both of her elections and and has a Democratic majority in her legislature.
Speaker 2: That for her then to issue this order and put more requirements on her law enforcement that she's expecting to you know, also then carry it just doesn't it doesn't make sense, right, And so that's where we're all scramblings.
Speaker 1: There's a couple of things that make this so dangerous. One is that it's this unnecessary own goal, right, you know, as you stated, this is not this and I didn't want to be sort of intimating that he was. That this sheriff is not particularly tied in directly to some of these longer standing weird constitutional sheriff things, but it does tie into this this pattern of sort of conservatives backing sheriffs against state power and against federal power that they dislike. And in this case, one of the things that makes this so toxic is they have a point, right, this order is not constitutional, and giving them ammunition like that is number one. It strengthens right wing organizing in a way that is you know, dangerous, but also it's completely unnecessary, It's completely it does not address the problem, and the problem is is very like, extremely serious, and so I find this kind of distracting from realistic solutions here, you know, which which by the way, can can you know, probably do to some extent involve restricting you know, uh certain the ability of people to carry in certain situations, to carry in certain ways in certain situations.
Speaker 11: I think one of the yeah, oh yeah, no, no, you have well I was just gonna I just want to, you know, for for folks interested in, you know, what New Mexico has done. Things that have happened in the under this administration, are there are There have been some advancements that as a gun owner I support. One was closing private sales as a thing. You know, I grew up buying guns out of the backs of cars. Uh wild, I have some wild stories about that, but that was a fully legal thing to do. We had private sales in this in the state. I've bought a lot of car guns.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, And it is fun, but we should probably probably that's not probably should be probably probably and and and especially for those of us that don't have anything restricting us from by purchasing firearms, there's no reason to not just anyway.
Speaker 11: So so that being said, so the New Mexico did did end private sales, So that's one thing, and then this last year we instituted It's not a full safe storage law, but it goes a long way into instituting a safe storage law. It specifically creates a situation where if a minor gets access to a gun that was not secured and then commits a crime with it, then the per the owner of that firearm, is then held liable. And it has been used now twice and two fairly high pro file tragic shootings in the state. I should note here a decent number of the recent spike and homicides have been children getting access to firearm zoned by adults, either accidentally or purposefully using them to shoot and kill people. Right, yeah, so as you yeah, the law, the laws. The law is called the Benny Hargrove Act, which was named in honor of a of a young man who was killed at a middle school by a fellow middle schooler with a gun that the guy got off of. You know that the kid got out of a you know, a bedside drawer. And uh yeah, And as again, as a firearm owner, like I'm sitting across from my safe right now, I keep my guns locked up. So there are there are practical solutions here, yes, And and I know that this country has a hard time talking about guns without it getting out of pocket very quickly. But there are practical solutions we have. You know, one of the interesting responses from Democratic lawmakers in the state over the last you know, three days has been a call for a special session of our legislature to discuss what some of those things might be. The trouble with that is that in everybody's got this like knee jerk thing and everybody wants to talk about crime. I'm using big air quotes crime and and which is in direct counter you know, counterance to the idea that this is a public health crisis. So you know, we have a lot of reservations about what what might come out of a session like that. We would have to do a lot of work to protect you know, some of the things we've we've you know, we've done a lot to protect people from the car cerial system in this state, which is hell a predatory, and so those are protections we want to keep, you know, keep in place. But it's easy for the right of course to blame like that's the reason, the reason, the reason why shootings have increased is because we let people who've been arrested for you know, petty theft or something out of out of jail, and for some reason that's why crime is up. I don't know, it doesn't make sense, but anyway, so you know, it's even even with the solutions come more problems. But but yeah, there does seem to be this the the unintended consequences of this order seem to be the not just the backlash, but then the sort of non support from folks who would otherwise be supporting her.
Speaker 1: So I kind of want to close probably by talking about and thank you for that, by the way, for that context for talking about what I think is the underlying A big part of the underlying cause you that is also a big part of a surge and violence in a number of states nationwide, which is that like people are a lot of a significant chunk of this country has become unhinged since COVID. I kind of suspect that has a lot to do with it. But you are seeing in a number of states a significant amount of like anti social violence, violence that occurs because somebody cuts somebody off in traffic, somebody gets into an argument at a store, you know, somebody gets into an argument at a parking lot. There have been a number of shootings as a result of this, it's happened. You know, this is a big part of the rise and gun violence in Texas, which is also tied I think, to permitless carry to an extent, but like it is broader than that too, Right, this is not purely a access to guns, is why a lot of these crimes involved guns. But there's just been this rise in anti social violence, a lot of which comes out of arguments or perceived disrespect between one person and a group of people or two people or whatever. And I think this is probably tied into with a lot of the you know, increase in political violence we've seen, because a decent amount of it does arise out of that. And this is part of what I think is kind of disheartening about the governor's response here, is that this is a very serious problem and the kind of knee jerk reactions don't help it. But also, like I don't know what does right. You can deal with aspects of this problem, Right, maybe if people aren't just able to throw a gun in their pants and legally be carrying, there will be less of these shootings, But that doesn't deal with all of the underlying problem. And I don't really know what does this kind of like increased willingness of Americans to resort to violence in interpersonal conflicts is a real issue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh man, you said enough.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think that, you know, I'm thinking of I'm thinking about the first time I was able to go to a school function of my daughters after after COVID orders were lifted. And I remember I was was with a family member and they were, you know, they were the commenting on sort of people's bad behavior in the auditorium, and you know, and I had to remind them. I was like, you know, the these people have not been outside, yeah, in a year and a half, and you know, and like specifically, like some of these little kids that are running around, they maybe have never been to a function like this, you know what I mean. Like by the time, by the time most three or four year olds have are going to i don't know, like a baseball game or a band concert, you know, they've at some point it's the first time, but you know, they get used to it, they start to understand the rules of things. But yeah, like after you know, if you grow up and you're all of a sudden, you're five and you've never been to something like this like you don't know, you're supposed to sit down and be quiet, listen to the thing, right, like you're just just sitting on your phone anyway.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I definitely agree with you. I think in New Mexico we're not.
Speaker 11: Isolated from other states in the sense that we have arise in drug use and related We're not isolated in the sense we have a rise in you know, our houseless population, uh in in lack of job or at least good jobs, and and all of those things come together to make life hard, you know. And when life is hard, it it impacts people and they make, you know, bad decisions. The thing that I think does hurt New Mexico and and and is maybe what makes New Mexico unfortunately sort of stand out from some of its issues is you know, we are a very rural state. We have one fairly large city in Albuquerque, but even then, the surrounding parts of Albuquerque, just like the rest of the state, are very rural, and there's a certain amount of you know, we just as a state, we are lacking resources and always have you know, we rely so heavily on one industry and without without the systems in place to ensure that people have a place to live or you know, a meal to get ob to go to recreation, that they can afford things like that.
Speaker 2: I mean, it is tough. It is just tough out there.
Speaker 11: And I'm I'm privileged and I get to you know, I'm I'm raising my daughter in a home that you know, we want for very little. But I see it even in my in my peer group, I see people who are struggling all the time. And yeah, it's just tough out there, you.
Speaker 1: Know, it is, it is, And I honestly, you know, New Mexico and Oregon are similar in a lot of ways, and that they're both very low popular. I think we're both at around four million people if I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 2: Oh New Mexico is only like two million. Oh you're two millions.
Speaker 1: So yeah, even even less so low population states that have one big city that kind of dominates politics, but a very conservative kind of rural area in a lot of ways outside of that, and in both cases, that urban area has seen recent massive spikes in interpersonal violence and in you know, fatal issues due to drug use. Right yeah, now, one of the think obviously, one of the things Oregon has coming through it is because of all of the retire recent stuff here, like a much higher tax base, right, so there's theoretically more resources, although I tend to argue very incompetently applied, so most of us don't actually get out, but you do have this kind of this This is one of these places where this urban rural divide is both a lot stricter and where this state that is the majority of the population and is dealing with such severe issues is also kind of the political center or the city is also the political center of the state.
Speaker 11: Well, yeah, that and just yeah, you absolutely hit on something there. You know, Albuquerque has been historically, you know, decentralized due to gentrification for the last generation because of exactly what you said, which is that retirement community, you know, outside of oil and gas, and then the federal government in terms of like the labs and the universities and things like that, like retire ease are basically our third high miss genera you know, generative avenue agriculture probably in there too, but you know what, you get what I'm saying, they're a very high portion. And yeah, and and you know the Albuquerque that I grew up going to visit all of my family in and like going you know, going downtown, going you know, down to the International District, going near the university. You know, it never felt it never felt I hate to use the word dangerous, but it never felt dangerous, right, it never it never felt that way at all to me. Not that it does not that I feel danger to my to my person as a you know, as a white sis. He had dude with a beard like walking around like I usually feel pretty safe in my person.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I can't say that.
Speaker 3: I would.
Speaker 11: I have reflect that from everybody that I know that lives there. And people make choices about where they go, what time of day, et cetera, et cetera. And a big part of that is because of the gentrification that has pushed the the you know, native population of Albuquerque out into these more rural places. It makes it harder to get to you know, get to groceries, get to jobs, get to transportation. Yeah, all of those are factors in this. And it's and it's not just a one size fits all solution.
Speaker 10: Yep.
Speaker 2: Well, Lucas, is there anything else you wanted to get into today?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 11: I mean there's always something, but no, this was this was great, thank you. Yeah, yeah, I appreciate you giving us the opportunity. It's you know, I'm a I'm a longtime listener of this show, and when this issue came up, I really was thinking about some of those topics you brought up, you know, way back in the first run of It could Happen Here, and thinking about the that conflict that exists between state entities and you know, passing laws and enforcing laws and who does that and who doesn't and what does it mean if they don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, So this will continue to be a topic of.
Speaker 1: Vibrant discussion. So I'm sure we'll well, we'll have you back in the very near future.
Speaker 2: Yeah, happy to come back for that.
Speaker 10: Yep.
Speaker 1: All right, everybody, this is the This has been an episode of It Could Happen Here? You know, go go, Yeah, Lucas, you have any pluggables to plug before we're all out of here?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, sure me. If you are interested, I'm on Twitter at Lucas Herndon.
Speaker 11: And if you're curious about you know, New Mexico politics, progress now New Mexico on all the socials.
Speaker 1: Most excellent. All right, everybody, Uh, this has been an episode.
Speaker 2: Go home, Family, with.
Speaker 13: Hi everyone, It's me James, and I'm joined by and Robert. Today we're going to be talking about the border, which is where that audio you heard at the start was recorded yesterday.
Speaker 2: Hi Sheren and Robert, Hi James. Hello James, thank you, Robert, Thank you Serene. It's lovely to have this for one introduction time.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 13: So yeah, we're gathered here to go to talk about the border. And the reason we are talking about the border is because border patrol are doing their thing, the thing that they like to do tiemingly like on a quarterly basis actually exactly three months after the last time, which is to hold people out in the open in between the two board defenses in Santi Seddo, just about fifteen minutes south of where I live. It's probably worth grounding this discussion in the various claims and counterclaims. So there are about two hundred people in between the two border defenses right now. People I spoke to were from Azerbijan, Turkmenistan and Zbekistan, Turkey, Vietnam, Hondoors, Guatemala.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Like, the reason that sometimes.
Speaker 13: These lists of people sound like, you know, you're singing Washington bullets is because these are all countries that we have destabilized in one way or another, saying we qua the United States, not we as call zone media, we were spirectually stabilized regimes.
Speaker 2: We've only destabilized two or three countries. Yeah, and we're proud of it. Yeah we don't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we don't.
Speaker 2: Uh, we don't hide it.
Speaker 13: But yeah, we took our shot at Canada, you know. Yeah, yeah, but we've taken a good couple of swings in a Tamadore. I think we land some punches, but who knows, time will tell. So, yeah, it's people from like I think often the migration is constructed as quite unquoite Mexican, which is definitely not the case. I spoke to one family from Mexico yesterday. But like, even if you look at border patrol statistics, about four thousand out of fifteen thousand people apprehended in the San Diego sector in July this year of Mexican nationality.
Speaker 14: That's laura than I would assume, to be honest.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean, it's just a number of things, right, Like, it's these countries, Like climate change is definitely getting worse, so migrass is happening from there.
Speaker 2: I see a lot of people from Vietnam.
Speaker 13: I don't have the language skills to speak to them in depth, like I was speaking to someone when We'll get onto this through Google Translate from Vietnam. But hard to conduct a full interview, especially when folks are guarding their phone charge, which they are because exactly the same as last time, they need the phone to do CBP one. They need the phone to interact with their families, let them know they're safe. Some of their families, I guess don't know that they're traveling. I was helping people charge phones yesterday.
Speaker 2: So we can talk.
Speaker 13: Let's talk a little bit about the mutual aid response, and then we'll get onto the border patrol, you know. So there are two groups down there right now, and I think it's very impressive the services they're able to provide because because border Patrol all claim these people are not detained, that means that they are therefore not obliged to provide any services to them. Right So that would mean they don't have to give them water, they don't have to give them food, they don't have to give them shelter or like salitation, which salitation is the one that's really hard to cover because everything has to go through a fist sized gap in the fence. So that's still like an unmet need. But these two groups free Ship Collective, they're a free Ship pebe on Twitter, and also American Friends Service Committee. I've spoken about them before. They're a Quaker group that they're really great, like in terms of turning up and helping people who need help. They're constantly there and they they're a good place to send your money even if you're not a Quaker yourself, like check out their Twitter.
Speaker 3: Like.
Speaker 13: Actually, they're probably aligned with a lot of people who listen to show on a lot of things. I think they're prison abolitionists. So those two groups were there and they would At first there was myself, one person from American French Service Committee, and two older volunteers who had come in about one hundred and fifty to two hundred people. So most of the ideas kind of helped because I think in that situation is more important out than necessarily get the best audio for your podcast. So we handed out water, handed out food, handed out those emergency survival blankets, and.
Speaker 2: It was about all we had.
Speaker 13: At first, some like medical stuff people had medical and a bit later free ship people came and Xavier came. I'm not sure what Zavier's org is, but I will tweet it when I find it. I'll put it in the show notes to He's great. I've spoken at his events before that he holds down by the Border. We had a border media round table. He turned up with a massive generator, so that was great. We're able to charge phones. And what's really I think like notable is how much the people in between the fences are able to participate in distribution of goods and helping each other. So like they have a person who volunteers to be the coordinator for the water distribution, and one who volunteers to coordinate for the organizing people into lines and making sure people don't cut the line right, and then one person who was the phone captain who was doing like an incredible job of they'd get the cell phone right right the name of the person and then sign them a number in the line, and that person would also have that name and number written on their hand, and it's written in duct tape that's taped to them and taped to the phone. And then when their turn to charge comes, he would shout the name of the number. They would come from wherever they were in between the walls. They'd come and we would charge the phone, and then once they've got above fifty sixty percent, we'd switch it out and he'd call them again and they come get their phone. So lots of that is stuff that was learned in May and has been like implemented again much more like. It's less chaotic than it was before, and fewer people are able to provide better help, which is really good that it doesn't mean that those people don't need like donations, because they do. I know, the free ship people came with dozens of blankets, but there weren't enough blankets for everybody, so we were prioritizing families with children and pregnant women to have a blanket. It was cold yesterday, it was raining, and people didn't have anything to shelter under. There were a few tarps, but not very many, and it's a pretty like there were very young babies there. Right, it's a pretty difficult place to sleep with like, people were very keen to get their hands on cardboard boxes to lie down on to sleep. That gives you a sense of how kind of underserved they are. There's obviously no toilet facilities because you're just in a dusty kind of desert area by the border. So if people are familiar with Las Americas, the Discount Moll, we're like maybe a mile west of there along the dirt road and it's just kind of dusty field, so very rocky, very difficult people to sleep, very exposed to the elements. Right, it was hot today, like I was out earlier, and it's ninety one, so they won't be having any shade today.
Speaker 2: They didn't have any shelter from the rain or or ways.
Speaker 13: To keep warm last night. They're not allowed to start fires either, even if they have them means to do so. So the situation of these people I think is something worth discussing because it's not exactly super duper clear what role this plays in the immigration process. And there were a couple of examples to illustrate that. So I was able to talk to one person. They presented themselves from like they came into the parking lot walking and they looked looked very concerned, and so I approached him as, hey, do you need anything?
Speaker 2: Can we help you?
Speaker 13: And they had experienced some kind of medical condition and been taken to hospital, which Customs and Border Protection will do that, right, Like, if those people are there and they're having an emergency, they'll open the gate, take that person out and transport them to hospital somewhere in San Diego. That person had then been released from hospital to a taxi, which hospitals in San Diego have a habit of doing this. They'll dump homeless people.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 13: If you anyone in San Diego will have seen this, you'll be familiar with like people dumped out of hospital in Hillcrest wearing a hospital gown and maybe having very little other possessions. Maybe it's every single day this happened. Unfortunately, people have passed away on being released by the hospital before in Hillcrest. So they release these folks and I guess they often give them a bus pass or they pay for a taxi. In this case, they paid for this person's taxi. They asked for a taxi to the border. The command of English was pretty limited, so they asked for a taxi to the border. They were taken to like the formal border crossing at Seni Shudur, which is a mile and a half east of where we were. And then they walked down the dirt road to where we were. But obviously because there was a fence in between us and the people being quite detained, then they weren't able to access that area, right. So that leaves them in a conundrum, right that they're now in the United States without without any status, they were able to want Body of Troll agent advise them to return to Mexico. Obviously that would constitute an entry to Mexico in between ports of entry. Right, you'd be illegally entering Mexico. It's not Bord of Patrol's job to enforce Mexican laws. But that person was in the United States and presented a claim for asylum.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 13: They had a cell phone and they were using Google Translate, and they literally I could see it. It was like, I'm afraid to go back to my country. I'm afraid I will be hurt if I go back there, which is like a pretty textbook asylum claim.
Speaker 2: I would like to claim asylum.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 13: And on making that claim, a Border of Patrol agent returned them to the area in between offenses, right, which would suggest that like this is a holding facility to Border Patrol for people. I just want to read the statement that Border Patrol made to me this morning. This was like a couple of hours to one recording this, recording this on Tuesday. CBP has built and retrofited facilities along the Southwest border to enhance our capabilities in this regard. CBP has also significantly increased the number of medical personnel along the Southwest border and those providing other wrap around services, all to better support ensuring getting people appropriate care as quickly as possible. Border Patrol has prioritized the quick transportation of migrants encountered in this environment, which is partially dangerous, particularly dangerous uring current weather conditions, to border patrol facilities where individuals can see medical care, food, and water. It is important to note that migrants who are between the border barriers are not in border patrol custody and are at liberty to return to Mexico if they desire. We have some audio of border patrol addressing the migratine between defenses. So Daniel's going to drop in right after this.
Speaker 15: Bracelet listen. We take as soon as we can. Well, so there's too many of you.
Speaker 2: We can't do this fast.
Speaker 15: Why sit here and talk to you the last time we have to take people we're not designed to take hundreds of people working as first as we can be patient.
Speaker 3: And I can tell you.
Speaker 13: This, they're shouting at them. They're shouting at them in English. They're not really giving any clue. So the people obviously have questions. Right they've entered, lots of them have been given bracelets when he's talking about the bracelets, and people will have heard that in the intro to that they were taking people with white bracelets. Those have a day, right the day that you entered, so like it might say Monday or Sunday or today. Obviously it's Tuesday, so they would get a bracelet which has a color and a day, and they proscess people in order of priority. The people who arrived on Monday. First sale process on accompanied miners. I didn't see any obviously, some eighteen year old people. It could be hard to tell how exactly old they are, but seventeen whatever, But I didn't see any people that young on their own. After that, they will process single mothers with children, sat a few of those, quite a few of those. After that, they will process like a family, which they defined to consist of a man or women and children. After that, they will process men on their own. I guess women on their own, then men on their own. They had initially separated people. They had people just like they had last time, right in like families and those with children, and then single men were somewhere else. But it seemed like people were able to come to travel in between the fences down to the place where I was, because that was the only place that they were able to access services, right, And I guess the claim of border patrollers that these people could go back to Mexico. So I'm not sure how because obviously that they're in between these thirty foot walls right right, you could go around the end.
Speaker 2: That's how people come north.
Speaker 13: But that's quite a hike, especially if you haven't got any water and food and stuff. So yeah, it's this is what they've claimed. It's worth noting that like Border Patrol, a number of representative from the Hispanic Caucus like requested Border Patrol clarify this after what happened in May, and their letter they noted that the conditions violate agency guidelines for detention, which they do, and that Border Patrol isn't supposed to hold people in its own custody for more than seventy two hours, which some people were held for longer than that in May, and CBP responded, I'll just read it out. The individuals in question had not made contact with US Border Patrol personnel and were not constrained from further movement. At the time of this incident, the US Border Patrol San Diego sector facilities were experiencing capacity issues and some transportation challenges which have thinks been remediated. Border Patrol agents encountered and apprehended these migrants as soon as there's operationally feasible to do so. Again, like they were dropped off in May by Border Patrol vehicles in the place where they were being detained, And it's simply not factually correct to suggest that they had not come into contact with Border Patrol.
Speaker 2: I have video of it. I've published video over on Twitter, We've used audio of it on the podcast. I think it's just not true. So Border Patrol.
Speaker 13: Essentially are claiming that this isn't happening when it continues to happen, right, and this time they've taken that to it's like they've already doubled down on that status. I guess because they're not providing any services, which is probably a good time for us to hear from some products and services. Oh yeah, fucking magic. Look at that taking a factory lap. I'm quitting now, gust again. I enjoy these adverts.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's me, I'm back. Everyone else is still here too.
Speaker 13: Now we're talking about the mutual aid response to what's happening at the border, right And as I said, a border patrol arn't providing anything.
Speaker 2: And as I said, at least.
Speaker 13: When I left, I left after it got dark, quite a long time after it got dark last night. It was there for probably seven six or seven hours, and I saw more and more people arriving in that time, and it was a really wide dispersed group of people. I would say maybe the majority was Spanish speaking, but a lot of people with Vietnamese. I was speaking to some Francophone African people at various nationalities right before I left, Like I said, lots of people from Tadjikastan, Azbekistan, as Abijan, places like that. Those people were pretty prominent. So it's fairly hard for volunteers to communicate with all of them. And they don't have any information right about what's happening to them. Can they expect to be separated? In some cases they can I can they expect how long can they expect to be there?
Speaker 2: We don't really know, right.
Speaker 13: I heard one Border Patrol agent saying that some of the people who arrived on Monday could expect to be taken out maybe by Wednesday, So that's at least two hours two days, right. So all of the services they're being provided, they're being provided through mutual aid right now, which is exactly the same thing that happened last time. Right Sometimes, Border Patrol last time gave them a granola bar. We haven't come back with their granola bars this time. And I think it's really worth us like taking a moment to consider the scale of what like two hundred people is not that many people, but it was more than two thousand people in May, and that was provided for by mutual aid. And I think it's a really good like getting off point for maybe us to have a talk here about how we do mutual aid, because the only thing that enabled like little babies to have like a blanket is some one messaging someone else on signal and being like, hey, this is happening again.
Speaker 2: Do you have stuff? Can you come down?
Speaker 13: And someone who I don't know, weeks ago I guess was like, Oh, these people are doing nice things, let me send them some money, because without that, those people would just be sleeping in the in the in the dust. I think it's really it's it's admirable, I think, And it's something that like, I don't know how to say this, that we should take into consideration when we're discussing things like religion and then like doing discourse, and like it could be really easy to get like into a like full readit atheist mode.
Speaker 2: I'm not a person who believes in religion particularly, but like.
Speaker 13: The only people who are helping at some point are people who are at least part of religious organizations.
Speaker 1: Look, I think that the perfectly consistent stance to have is that like, if someone is showing up and providing people with necessary assistance and not not asking for anything in return, including the ability to prostlytize, then I don't give a shit what right, Like, I don't care if they're from a church. I don't care if it's like you know, some week, like, as long as they are showing up and helping people in desperate need and not demanding some sort of something from them, including like you know them listen to a spiel. I don't really you know, it could be a church. Who gives a fuck, right, like, I'm glad they're there, you know, yeah, totally, it can be a church. There were mosques there last time. I'm sure that they were like synagogues, and yeah, fucking kudos to those people, right, yeah, you know, like that's good, glad they're there.
Speaker 13: Yeah, those Yeah, those people are doing anarchism too, even if they wouldn't call it that or whatever. Like, you know, the more we can create networks that look after each other without trying to control each other, then the better of a place we make the world. And that's what those people are doing, and we should all celebrate that and support them however we can. And I guess so as of today, there are still people there, and they still seem to be putting people in there. I think it's not supposed to be too hot this week, like we had triple digit days last week. I think over the weekend was pretty hot.
Speaker 6: Yeah it was.
Speaker 13: It was very hot of the weekend. So like the possibility for this to get much worse is still there, right, the possibility for people to get the person I spoke to you who had to go to hospital, had become dehydrated, Like that's how they needed because you don't when people were when we first at least when I first got there, people were very hungry and very thirsty and like really desperate for a drink of water because often they'd come from some of those other holding areas and like walked down because this was the only place where they could access stuff. So like, yeah, I guess the potential for this to turn into something as sad and completely unnecessary as what happened May is there again.
Speaker 14: Yeah, so you mentioned that there's no shade, like no shaded areas, So when it's triple digits, like there are kids and babies and everyone's outside, Yes, that is just I mean, it's terrible regardless, but like that in particular, that's like brutal.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean I think I've shared these pictures with you guys before, but like in Hacumber in May, people were making little kind of a frames and lean to's and out of osuitillos and cacti and stuff just trying to get out of it. It was very hot then out there.
Speaker 2: I mean the photos you.
Speaker 14: Sat recently, there's like a there's a photo you sat with the child's hand, like coming out of the the fence.
Speaker 2: That have made me emotional.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it makes me emotional, honestly. Like I think I've said this before, like in interviews, and I did an interview with Roy Pecktrest about this, but like I would rather go somewhere dangerous and have dangerous things happen, and then see a little kid have to be cold, not be able to help them, or like just be sad, like it's not a fun place for children, And that fucks me up in a way that like.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, I would.
Speaker 1: I would so much rather be like physically uncomfortable or in danger than like be in a perfectly safe place where you're watching kids suffer.
Speaker 2: Like that's the rough thing.
Speaker 1: I've been to a lot of refugee camps, and it's always like, you know, it's weird because I've also seen a lot of kids like in active combat zones. And don't take the wrong thing out of this, but like the the kids who have been stuck in a camp with like no chance of ever getting out seem like more depressed in a lot of ways than the kids who every day you know they're they're in you know, part of the city, even though like the city is a dangerous place to be. They they're they're moving around, they're usually doing stuff. Obviously it's a much more worse situation in a lot of ways. But like the degree to which being in this limbo messes with their heads and depresses them and traumatizes them is And again I'm not saying like it's better for kids to be in an act of war zone, but like that is trauma as well, and I think in a lot of ways an equivalent trauma. Even though the danger to their body is less, the trauma they face being stuck in a place and not having any idea what the future is and not having any ability to influence it. Really right being you know, these kids up at this fence are totally they have no control over their future or their lives.
Speaker 13: Really, I think that's the really like it strips people of their agency, which is a really degrading thing to do.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 13: You're forcing these people they can do everything right. That person presented every perfect affirmative asylum claiming you know, and yeah it doesn't matter. And I think that's very hard, especially I imagine it's very difficult. I'm not a parent, but I imagine that, Like if you are a parent's dad, yeah, you know, you just want your kids to have a safe place to grow up. And like, I don't know, it's the first time I ever realized that I was having a trauma response, and it was not a good one. Was in twenty eighteen with the migrant caravan, when like I had been there was one little child where I speak about a lot, but like, she was obsessed with my hair. If people haven't seen paces of me have long hair, and like wanted to braid my hair every time I went there. And so she'd come and she'd sit on my shoulders and I would just do shit, and she would braid my hair while I was you know, handing out water bottles or you know.
Speaker 2: Talking to people, doing what I could do.
Speaker 13: And like I saw that girl every day for months, right, And then I remember once coming back to a Christmas party and just wanting to fucking scream at everyone. It's a juxtaposition from being seeing this little kid like deprived of so many things that chord should have warmth and shelter and good food and a safe place to be, and then going home, you know, twenty it drive across the border drive home and see people just like going about their lives. It's it's a really challenging yeah, duality. We can't stop it, right, Like it's not in our power to stop this, but like, and it is in our power. One of the things I hate people being like it's like welcome to America. Like it's a pretty fucked up way to be welcome to America, right, But like, like, I'm an immigrant. My my arrival here was very different, Like Sharin, you came here when you were younger, right, I was.
Speaker 14: I didn't immigrate myself. I was born here a month old, moved back from my parents, immigrated.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So you can be president, that's important.
Speaker 14: Oh yes, I can be president.
Speaker 2: You can be president, but not James, which is which is good? Which is good?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, in general that is my goal for you, James. Yeah, I can see. I'd really crush it in that round. I do love a good law Yeah. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Charene can take out Ted Cruz who you can. You can be Charene's John Mitchell. Wow, it's a fun little water gate ya for every I will be hiding Karen's secret meetings.
Speaker 2: I'm hoping for Haldoman myself. That's the Oh, that's the guy to be.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I want to go back for like further than that, you know, like when presidents were chads and like Roosevelt got shot five times. I can see Scharene having that kind of energy. Sure, yeah, we're all in on Charen maybe best too, Yeah, don't choose Serene.
Speaker 2: A book was enough for Teddy Roosevelt people. It's changed.
Speaker 13: Return no jokes aside, Like I came to America very differently from this, and like, uh, I recently became a citizen after a long time, and like you always feel very precarious when you live here and you're not, so I just want Like one thing that I noticed was that so many of the folks down there at one point, all of us one point I don't know, were also people who had come here themselves and like had different stories and we talked about. Like another thing I think is really important, actually it's like just because people are in a shitty situation doesn't mean that they are not like people. Like sometimes it can be really easy to be like bottle of water, by bottle of water, hego, bottle of water, chairs, like let's want to fucking talk to you, and like how is your day, or like what's your favorite football team?
Speaker 2: Like like that can be a really valuable way of.
Speaker 13: Being like, look, I understand that the government is treating you like shit right now, and that's not with my consent, Like I are.
Speaker 14: Human connection because they aren't treated like humans. So it's like nice to remember that's like, oh, I'm.
Speaker 13: Like yeah totally, someone seeing me, yes exactly, and just being like we're in community, like we are here to do whatever we can to make this a little bit less fucking barbaric. Like I always think I should buy like soft toys for the kids. I've spent a lot of money on soft toys for kids over the years. But remember one time we cleared out at Costco in Tiuan, Like I had them morning the bed of a pickup truck and they were like trying to fly out as we drove down the freeway.
Speaker 4: It was a good time.
Speaker 13: But yeah, it's I think that common humanity is super important if people have language skills and they want to help, Like there are always organizations to help migrants, so American Friends Service Committee is a really good one. I don't think they would care if you were not a person of faith. I think lots of the people helping out with them are not They're just nice people.
Speaker 14: So there are so many languages apparently that need translating, Like it's not just Spanish. I think a lot of people assume it would just be like I don't know Spanish, I'm not going to go. But so many other languages that would be helpful.
Speaker 13: Yeah, Like I speak French, and I honestly spent as much time at the board of speaking French as Spanish. I have like passable communication in Haitian creole, and they can sort of if some people speak like more formal French, who a Haitian, so I can speak to them, But yeah, I don't speak Taiji, ko Uzbek or Russian or Vietnamese, so like, yeah, those people are therefore it's harder for them to access solidarity right and to talk to people and to be seen, Like we can try our best with cell phone apps. The person who had been taken to a hospital was Vietnamese and was just doing a star Wark job of like obviously they were to the north of the border, so among the volunteers basically, and we were using our phones to talk and they were helping us distribute shit right, and then helping explain to the Vietnamese people, hey, like you have to be in this line if you want this, at this line if you want that, and like, so that was nice, and it's always like great to see like people empowered by that process, Like they're not just like asking for stuff, they're also helping get other people stuff, and I think that that helps both parties. So like this is means of like I guess like people call mutilated solidarity not charity, which I think that illustrates really well. You know, like all these people are there to be in solidarity with people who they consider to be members of their community, not not to like gain some carmic reward or whatever like people, And I think that's a really laudable thing. It's something we should all participate in if we can. I understand that everyone's near the border, but like, yeah, we can't change this that we're all supposed to vote for Joe Biden because he wouldn't be a piece of shit to migrants, and he's been a complete piece of shit to migrants for the entirety of his time in office, and I sincerely believe he will be a piece of shit to migrants if he is elected again. So you can't fucking change this by voting for someone.
Speaker 2: I wish you could.
Speaker 13: I wish it was that easy, but like I sadly, it requires your active participation. And yeah, I'm just constantly impressed by people who will. Like the people from Free Shiit Collective, they bought their entire family right them a message. They were like, yeah, we're on our way, what do you need blankets? Okay, we have like one hundred blankets and a generator. And within an hour at least some of those people, I had a warmer place to sleep. Right before that, I was giving out the blankets I had for camping in my truck. But I have two sleeping bags in my truck.
Speaker 2: It's not enough.
Speaker 13: So yeah, I think that's something we can all do in our own communities. But right now, again, I guess Biden's administration are back on the bullshit at the border, and it's.
Speaker 2: Important that people just pay attention to it.
Speaker 13: Right I guess you could write your Congress people, but they didn't do shit last time, they won't do shit this time. But people can show sort of diarity in any way or lend their language skills. I think now it's a really important time to do that.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it's SIT's frustrating because the border in general just becomes like a political talking point, right, like Biden uses it for his benefit and then it's like I'll pick it up when I needed to get Yeah, whatever it is, it's pretty infuriating.
Speaker 2: It's fucking not.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it's incredibly infuriating for me to see like a guarantee you, I was stand there yesterday when no other media folks will be there today. Folks who haven't been there since May will roll up again, right, who haven't covered the border, who don't have a working knowledge of like what's happened since Title forty two, which is the apprehensions have dropped, by the way, like travel across the border has got a lot lower since Title forty two, which is what we were told that to opposite of what every op ed told us was going to happen, because people maybe should not be righting about the border when they live in DC.
Speaker 2: Or New York.
Speaker 13: But yeah, Biden will come back to the border next time he gets attacked by Republicans on boarder stuff. And until then, like these people will be treated as if they're numbers or if they don't matter, and like each of them has a story and a reason for being here, and they're not just numbers, they're all people. And every time someone dies trying to come to this country to be safe, it's a tragedy, and it's a preventable tragedy. And it's one that the Democrats are just as complicit as Republicans in. Yeah, you know, we've spoken a lot about groups you can you can go to, right, Like we spoke about border Kindness, we spoke about Borderlands Relief Collective. Like there are a million and one ways to help. I won't detail them all now, but yeah, it's something that like we can't erase the Like I feel genuinely ashamed every time I'm down there, you know, to be American now. But it's just hard when people are like, hey, what's going to happen, you have to be like, well, we don't know, but like you might be separated from your family, you might be detained. They're probably going to take most of your clothes. They might take your belt off. You know, you can wear one jacket, one shirt, your pants, and your shoes. They might take your shoelaces and venues go into the fucking abyss of processing.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 13: There might be years till you get your core date and you might not have a right to work until then. But it might cost you twelve grand to get a lawyer to represent you. How do you get that money?
Speaker 2: Fucked you?
Speaker 13: I know, you know, And yeah it's deep. I feel really ashamed, but yeah, all we can do is just try and help however we can.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, all right, Yeah, sorry that was really depressing, was that? No, No, it's good.
Speaker 14: I really admire that instead of like kind of wallowing in the shame, You're like, I actually want to do something and it's okay that I feel shame.
Speaker 2: That's valid.
Speaker 14: It's both things can be true. I can be helpful and I can also have perspective on it.
Speaker 13: So yeah, yeah it helps to help helps me. It helps other people to feel active, not like acted upon. And that's why folks on who are migrants want to also participate in migrant aid right, like even folks are in between the war right now, like organizing that the phone charging queue because it helps to not just feel acted upon and remove the agency.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yeah, do you.
Speaker 13: Mutual aid if you can?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Be nice? Yeah, be nice. Buck the border patrol.
Speaker 13: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: I think that that more or less covers it.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's that's our message, that Sharin's presidential slogan.
Speaker 14: Yes, that's my campaign.
Speaker 2: I'll work on that.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: Five, it's it's another union episode of Vick had happen here in the podcast where we do a lot of things, but one of one of which is talking about unions, one of which is not doing great intros, it's me and Mia Wong and today I'm here to talk about a union and a strike and a bunch of other stuff. And with me to talk about this is Tyler Fellini, he was an organizer with Portland Jobs with Justice and also a former New Seasons worker. And Alex Gage, who was an organizer in store rep for the New Season's labor union shop in ourber Lodge. Yeah both YouTube, Welcome to the show. Yeah, thanks for having us, happy to be here. Yeah, I'm glad, glad to talk with you too. So I guess before we get into the sort of current stuff, I wanted to talk a bit about how how the certain New Seasons union was formed and you know what that sort of process looked like and how it's been going since then.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I can speak to that.
Speaker 16: So the initial unionizing effort started at the store that I was working at, seven Corners, and we actually the first conversation we had was April first, the same day that Amazon labor union went public and won their electional so there's like a really inspiring moment for us. That spurred a conversation on the shop floor with a couple coworkers, which quickly escalated to six of us meeting in a nearby co workers backyard. We talked about the issues, and we were all hitting the same things, you know, Like we were all upset with the tenants policy, the way that New Seasons was treating us and had been treating us during COVID. We're also upset with our pay, which is obscene and does not keep up with the cost of living in Portland, organ which is a very expensive city. So and we were also really upset with the healthcare that we have offered and how it's kind of deteriorated over the years, especially for New Seasons as a company that has a lot of people who've been there for years and so there were a lot of people who've seen just the downward decline. So those early meetings went really well. We talked to coworkers on the floor discreetly and everybody was resonating with what we were saying. We made a lot of progress really fast, and then we had a meeting at a local bar here in Portland, Workers Tap, which huge shoutout of them. They are an amazing space for a lot of burgeoning independent unions to have some of their early meetings. So we met there with more members at our store, the Seven Corners location, and I think we had like thirty people there, which is a huge turnout for a.
Speaker 6: First showing of a meeting.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 16: And then from there we moved pretty fast to getting cards signed for showing of interest, and so in less than two months we were actually filing our petition with the NLRB, which is unheard of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's amazing, especially for a grocery store union. That is wild.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 16: As soon as we went public, workers at all these other stores reached out to us. Our Instagram blew up. People were excited but wanted to figure out how to do it at their store. So we were kind of simultaneously trying to balance the plates of like keeping our store going and also helping other stores go and you know, by the end of the summer we rolled into we had our election, I want to say in September, and by the end of the summer there were multiple stores that had gone public and announced.
Speaker 6: And here we are.
Speaker 16: You know, it's barely been a year since our first election win. It's barely been a year since then, and we have over nine hundred members, almost a thousand members in this very new union.
Speaker 2: That's incredible. That gets into another thing I'm interested about, which is Portland's the city that has been in the last I mean, I would say probably the last five years, but especially in like the last couple of years, it's been really really active in terms of in terms of union organizing, in terms of sort of especially especially independent unions, there's been an enormous number of them. The actual number of workers being organized is really high. And yeah, I mean you talked about having like having this bar as a sort of space you could do meetings. Has there been any other stuff, I mean, from from other independent unions, from other I mean, just from the fact that there's so many like things happening that have like changed the dynamics of how these union organization drives have been going.
Speaker 16: Yeah, So early on, you know, we were weighing our options as far as like did we want to join an existing union or go independent?
Speaker 6: Like what did we want to do there?
Speaker 16: And a lot of that information is hard to find if you don't know the language that you're looking for, it's not really accessible to the average worker. But we found a lot of solidarity in folks who had been involved in other independent union efforts. Specifically, we met with Mark and Luis at a Burgerville workers union. They offered a top Yeah, they were great. They were some of the early folks to reach out and help us. We were also able to talk to some of the folks at ILW Local five that represents palasworkers and many others and get some support there. Portland is definitely a labor town, uh And the solidarity that we felt kind of across the board was great, you know, especially like early on when we had a lot of questions and we didn't have any answers and we didn't have many resources to you know, hire a lawyer and ask them.
Speaker 2: Uh. So I want I wanted to go back a little bit to talk about sort of the influence of the sort of influence of the news about the Amazon labor union going wide and how that sort of worked. Have you seen a sort of similar thing with other like not just sort of not not just New Seasons shops, but have you seen other shops that sort of like decided to start organizing after y'all came out.
Speaker 16: I think that there is a general energy among the rank and file, right that some of the old ways that unions are organizing were not the most representative of the workers, which is in part you know, the eighties, right, and so kind of why we've seen sort of union representation stagnant. But we're seeing a major shift, right. We've got a lot of educated workers doing low wage jobs, which that condition existed in the nineteen thirties and led to a major explosion in militant unions. So I think there's a major parallel there, and it's not just Amazon liber unions. Also, you know the Starbucks workers know campaign it's huge, right, and those are workers who service workers, restaurant workers historically have been left out of labor or underrepresented, similar to healthcare workers and just care workers generally, And that I think is kind of the stereotype of like the working class as like a trad white guy in a factory and we're seeing that severely upended right now, which is really exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's that's a That's another dynamic I think is really is really interesting, particularly in Portland, is that it seems to be a lot of independent unions. And it seems to be I think partially because even in the midst of the fact that like very clearly people want to organize, there's been a lot of conservatism on the part of the sort of like larger distant unions. You don't really want to like throw an enormous amount of money into these organizing drives, which means, you know, if if the stuff is going to happen, it's it's it's the independent unions. And yeah, I don't know, like I I think I think your point about sort of I think your point about the sort of both both the highly educated workers thing and the way that you know, sort of what's constitutionally considered a worker and what unions are willing to sort of throw money at or tied together. Because yeah, I mean, you know, like the shops that you're working in, the shops are getting organized just aren't the kind of thing that anyone's been organizing for like ever, it's very at least not since like the eighties.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and I think it makes sense why they don't organize. It's freaking hard. It's a lot of work, and there's a lot of turnover, and you don't see those same faces. That's why we can get from having our first meeting to filing for election in two months, because if it doesn't happen in two months, it's never going to happen. And we get it done, we get it done fast, and then we see all these other like as a grocery store, we get deliveries from Bigger Union, you know, drivers and such, and we've seen what's happened with their campaigns where if they're not like totally invested, they can get decertified within a matter of weeks. But we haven't had any of that yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is really impressive. And you know, that's another thing I'm interested. I've been asking a lot of people because turnover is one of the big things that's been sort of you know, it's it's been the wall that the existing units hit and we're like, this is too hard, We're going to go do something else. And I've been I'm wondering how y'all have been dealing with the turnover problem, because it's I mean, it is definitely something that's difficult to deal with, but you know, it's it's not something that makes it impossible. It's just hard, and I'm yeah, I'm interested in what your sort of strategies to manage.
Speaker 4: It have been.
Speaker 2: I think it's a matter of passion.
Speaker 10: I think Tyler is a great example, like is no longer a member, but sees this as like the way that we can move our society forward in general, Like the labor struggle is the struggle, Like there's no war, black class war. If we don't do this, what are we doing here? So wait, we stick around and we're doing this for free. We're not getting paid for it. We're doing it because it's the right thing to do.
Speaker 16: When our lodge in Grant Park had their walkouts on Labor Day weekend, there was a customer at Grant Park who called out to us that, you know, we should just go open up our own workers co op, And my response to him was that, you know, if we leave, there's just another batch of workers that are going to go through these conditions. Like the goal is not that like I wanted to be great for me, like I don't even work in new seasons anymore. I wanted to be great for my former coworkers who are still there, and for the people that I don't know who are going to come behind them.
Speaker 6: And that's that's how you get around the high.
Speaker 16: Turn over pieces like the passion and dedication and I have to make conditions better for the people coming after you, which is really antagonistic to the way capitalism wants us to be very individual like oriented, right, Like we just care about ourselves and our day to day. But that's the really great thing with like the worker power, right, is that you know, collectively we are so much stronger. Collectively we can actually stand up to the boss and win, right, And and that means just reorienting how we think about the world, right, Like, like this job sucks.
Speaker 6: How can I make this job better? I can just quit and go get a better job.
Speaker 16: But if I change this job, then the people who are still here also get better working conditions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think that there's kind of there's there's a kind of flip side of that too, right, which is that you know, even if you like you know, like turnover just is inevitable to some extent, even even if you have people who like want to stay and fight, right, like, people are just going to have to leave. But on the other hand, you know, if you if you're if you're in a unionized workplace, and if you're pecifically if you're if you're in if you're in a union that has the sort of militant culture, what you're doing is you're you know, you're changing the actual like class itself, right because you know, like now now you're worker who like you know, I don't know, is moving to Arizona or something. Right, they're they're they are now also much more built and have have this sort of experience of organizing that they made that they may not have had before. And this, you know, it's like you're the any any any individual movement you're doing in one place is building up the entire class.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and we can see that we've like been attracting people who are interested and becoming involved in a movement. And you know, whether they just graduated from college or they had some sort of distant relative who was in a union, they come to new seasons thinking, oh, I want to get in on the beginning of this, and we've seen like a big push of that recently, and people who leave they want to go, you know, organize their next workplace, you know, regardless if they were fired or whatever.
Speaker 16: They they want to.
Speaker 6: Keep it going. So and I think to build on that too.
Speaker 16: You know, salting is a practice that traditional unions typically do to kind of change a workforce. And when you salt, usually you're paid by the union to go in there, and so you're getting paid by the employer to be there, and the union is paying you to organize. But we've seen a shift now where people are voluntarily salting. Right, People come like out that to get a job, they don't need the money motivator. They just want to function up right, They want to change things and like be antagonistic towards the boss. And I think to me, to go back to an earlier thing you asked about, like kind of like why Portland, right, Like, I think one thing about Portland is people in Portland love a protest, right, Like, we don't need much of a motivation to go through some.
Speaker 6: Rocks at popped, Right, That's kind of in the culture of Portland.
Speaker 16: And so there is this this orientation towards struggle that does exist, and right now that energy you know, we we went through the George Floyd uprising and a lot of energy has been funneled into labor, and it's been new voices in labor. It's not the same like you know, ten people now kind of talking. It's all of this new energy. And for the most part, most of Portland labor is being very accommodating and making room for those people to get in there and be heard because folks recognize that they're on their way out right, you know, Folks in their fifties or sixties, like they're they're towards retirement, right, and so it's as younger folks coming in that are going to change.
Speaker 4: It, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think there's an interesting dynamic with this too, which is that, you know, okay, one of the one of the sort of conditions of the last sort of like forty fifty years of capitalism, like is this sort of high total turnover rates? And also is this, you know, is this thing where you are, like you as an individual worker are shifting jobs really really quickly, and that you know, that's in some sense an issue. But that also means that like I don't know, like if you have a bunch of people who you know, spent like spent one hundred days fighting the Feds and you know still still may like have have developed just like the sort of bilted hatred of the cops and you know, I've developed sort of and into capitalist politics. Yeah, you get more of the sort of salt stuff you're talking about, because like, you know, screw like you know, you're if you're gonna be working like a ship job anyways, you might as well like go work one where you're saulting and starting a union because there's not actually like I don't know's it's not. It's not it's not like you're like getting career advancement in the service job, right, And yeah, I mean that seems to be driving like at least some of the sort of of how this kind of like how the independent union union organizing in Portland's been moving. Yeah.
Speaker 10: I think I'd also like to point out though that like a lot of people for our union, specifically New Seasons has always been like the progressive business and you've always had a reputation of like being a great place to work. They're really inclusive or whatever. So that's what attracts like a certain crowd of people, and when they get there and they realize that, like they're getting screwed over, just like any other place that they've ever been at, that like fosters this new feeling of like, well, I'm vulnerable no matter what I do, Like there's no where I can turn to trust my employer, and how do I preserve what little dignity that I do have at this workplace? Because generally speaking, like our jobs are pretty okay minus like the corporate business side of things, like most people enjoy going to work, maybe, but they they want to enjoy going to work. So having that like kind of double edged sword has been a cat for us to just built.
Speaker 6: On what Alex said too.
Speaker 16: I think it's really interesting that a lot of the surge in new like independent union stuff has been you know, new seasons, Starbucks to a degree, Rii, Trader Joe. It's all these places, these progressive workplaces, right, And what's happened is that so often we've had interactions with customers where they go, wow, I assumed that the prices were so high because your wages were high, and really, dude, like most of us can't afford to live in the city, right, most of us are using Yeah, and it's just not it's not true, right, And so you know, it's workers who get jobs at these progressive places that drank the similar social kool aid that the customers drink. But assuming that these businesses have good business practices, and what's happening is that they're just getting greedy, right, This is the case everywhere.
Speaker 6: It just hits a.
Speaker 16: Little bit different when your employer pretends your friends and then stabs you in the back.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Not all workplaces have this kind of like oh, we're like progressive sort of vibes. But I feel like businesses that have that reputation are also more just more vulnerable. It's not just that like their workers like realize howyocritical it is. It means that they're It means that they're more vulnerable to sort of like damage to their reputation when people find out that, like oh my god, hold on, you're making how much money? Like yeah, and I think, yeah, I don't know, I'm interested, like how how effective has that been for you? Sort of like leveraging that.
Speaker 6: I think it's been really effective.
Speaker 16: I mean, you know, and not just as I think a really good example of exactly what you're talking about, right, is the shareholders of Starbucks are holding Howard Schultz accountable because he is wrecking that company, right. And so with New Seasons, what it means is that they play a very sneaky game. They fight us in the back room. They make sure it's not public facing anything we can do to attack their public image, like it hurts. I will say too that you know, we're kind of standing on the shoulders of Burgerville Workers Union here where Burgerville was built on this reputation of like local friendly, like we're the alternative to like corporate fast food, and they had security guards and strikebusters literally fighting with picketers in the past and it tanked the reputation.
Speaker 2: And so New Season's.
Speaker 16: Management has clearly looked at what Burgerville management did and been like, we're not going to do that. It doesn't stop them from being pitty. They're just they're more polite when they're pretty to us. They're still just as shitty.
Speaker 2: They're just they smile while they stab us in the back. Yeah, So on the subject just of stebbing us in the back. So there's been a bunch of stuff going on recently. I was wondering if you could talk about like the I don't know, the recent unrest question mark need to figure out a better way to phrase this.
Speaker 10: But yeah, yeah, so yeah, we've been building up. We have, i mean since day one of bargaining, which started back in like December or January.
Speaker 6: It started in January.
Speaker 10: Yeah, So we we've known that eventually it's going to get to a point where we're going to need to show some force. So, you know, we go in there with good faith, and little by little we find out that the smallest ask is going to be impossible, and we find out that they're going to do whatever they can get away with every time they can. So they started with I mean, they did all kinds of things, but the one catalyst is they changed the attendance policy for non union.
Speaker 3: Workers and non union stores to.
Speaker 10: Make it more lenient, which was one of the issues that we campaigned on was the attendance policy because it's ridiculous and people get fired all the time. So we demanded the bargain. They didn't have a response. We brought it up in bargaining at the bargaining table. They said that they would work on something that we could implement before we ratify the contract, but they had to put it through their DEI lens and they had to yeah, yeah, and you know all the things that corporations say to delay it and kick the can down the road. So we're Dylan good faith saying like, okay, you know, go ahead. So then we did a petition where all the stores individually had people sign a petition. We got hundreds of signatures, and then we did a march on the boss asking them to sign this MoU that a memorandum of understanding saying you will give us that same policy. We filed a ULP saying like this is illegal, it's obvious discrimination, and then they just kept saying, Okay, we're working on it. We're working on it, We're working on it.
Speaker 2: So they never did.
Speaker 10: Then we did a rally and we showed up at the headquarters with I don't know, probably two hundred of us hell yeah, and marched up to the office and chanted and made a scene and told them they have one more chance to sign the MoU. They didn't sign it. So then we organized the strikes at the two stores and gave them one more chance to sign the MoU. They didn't sign it. We already knew they weren't going to So yeah, we shut down those stores for the rest of the day at Grant Park and for one hour at ourbor Lodge.
Speaker 2: And it was powerful.
Speaker 14: We had a lot of support, a lot of people showed up.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and to build on that too.
Speaker 16: You know, there's things coming up that we can't talk about yet, but I would say that, Alex, do you want to talk about the practice picketing?
Speaker 6: I feel like we could talk about.
Speaker 10: That, Okay, so we actually can talk about We've just filed a ULP, yeah, last night for bad faith bargaining.
Speaker 2: Yeahs an unfair labor practice.
Speaker 10: Yes, thank you. I get caught up in the jargon. So we just filed that last night for bad faith bargaining yep, because they gave us the most ridiculous policy for attendance. It's basically regressive bargaining, which is totally unfair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you want to explain what that is?
Speaker 16: Basically, the NLRB, the National Labor Relations Board. They oversee unions and the relationship between unions and employers. They demand that both sides come in good faith, basically like don't screw around, don't waste each other's time.
Speaker 6: The goal is to move towards some sort of comp and.
Speaker 16: An agreement, and regressive bargaining is when you backpedal and you offer something that is worse than what was offered. The attendance policy is, in my opinion, definitely worse.
Speaker 6: It is no better.
Speaker 16: I think it frankly takes the shittiest things of the past two policies and put them together. So it seems pretty clear to us that it's regressive. And then we can argue that New Seasons is not acting in good faith. They are acting in bad faith, which is illegal according to the NRB. And so what we are allowed to do is file an unfair labor practice, which basically, you know, it doesn't hold a lot of weight materially, however, symbolically it looks really bad. And so again going back to like Mia, what you were saying about kind of like their image, right, Like these kind of progressive corporations, they don't want to look like the bastards they are.
Speaker 6: And a ULP makes it pretty clear, Hey, this person's.
Speaker 16: Being a jerk, this company is being a jerk. So the more ulps that we get filed that like, we win. On the bigger case. We can paint that New seasons is actually being really unfair to us.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 10: So then based on that, we're getting strike ready. We're making sure everybody can show up and be ready to assert our stance. We're not going to just lay back and let them take over. So we're going to do some practice pickets. And I'm sure even hearing that a lot, which is great for I mean, and if you want to bring it back to like the higher turnover rate and like, you know, the general apathy that you see in any union, people are just kind of afraid to be active. So we're looking at practice pickets as a way to get people involved in a really low risk activity.
Speaker 2: Can you explain how that works? Yeah, So what we're going to do.
Speaker 10: Is each store will do a picket, but that picket will not be a strike.
Speaker 3: That picket will not.
Speaker 10: Encourage shoppers to leave or discourage shopping in any way. We're not calling for a boycott. We're just simply doing logistically, what does it look like if we do a picket at each store in the most peaceful way possible, and then we do that at every store and we kind of gauge, like, you know, how ready are we.
Speaker 16: And by doing that too it's a show of force to the company, right, Yeah, it's not We're not doing anything illegal. It's effectively an informational picket. So legally there's nothing that New Seasons can do to any of the workers who participate in it.
Speaker 6: However, they will absolutely see that we are prepared.
Speaker 16: To do it. The team Staris recently did this for ups. A lot of teachers' unions have done similar things. It's a really can go a force to kind of leverage your people power and show the management that you're ready.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it has another it has another effect too, which is something that you know, the the kind of basic cultural understanding of you know, what unions are, how they function, what you need to be doing any given scenario, like me just physically, how to like do picketts, what you logistically need to do. That stuff has all sort of faded from like the height of union sort of culture in like the sixties and seventies, and that's something that you have to rebuild because you know, and and and then and this is this is something that's both both in terms of the people in the union. That sort of knowledge isituitional knowledge has to be rebuilt, and it also has to be rebuilt in the public because people sort of just don't you know, like you support for unions is really high, uh, but people don't understand exactly what like you know, people, people don't understand exactly what a union is doing any given time, or like how it functions and things like that.
Speaker 4: And you know, then this is this.
Speaker 2: Seems like a really good way to like, you know, like, hey, this is a picket. This is what happens when there's a picket. This is an informational picket. We're gonna give you information. And yes, it seems like a good thing for building up that kind of culture on both ends.
Speaker 16: And it's a really good opportunity to talk to customers get them involved. That's the thing that's that you know, New Seasons kind of tagline as the friendliest store in town. And then the way that they built that, Yeah, the way that they built that reputation though, was by really encouraging workers to develop deep relationships with customers. And so we're using that to leverage against the company now and saying like hey, like you.
Speaker 6: Know you like me, like you know me by name, and I know you by name.
Speaker 16: You don't know the CEO by name, like let's talk Let's talk about like what we're asking for and what you as a customer can do to support us in a way that doesn't feel antagonistic. Right, Like like when we had the when we had the walkouts on Labor Day weekend, you know, we did a debrief and we're kind of like, how do we, like, how do we engage with people where we can hold onto our values and still feel like we're being effective. And Randy, a worker at our lodge, his solution instead of calling people who cross the picket line scabs and like you know, harassing that way, you know, he was like, I just said, like, hey, I'm disappointed in you, and I think that like like yeah, like let's just like we're gonna just like if you're going to cross the picket line, I don't need to hurl insults at you. I'm just going to guilt trip you and let you know that like I'm disappointed in you and like you will feel bad as you're shopping. And I think that like that's sort of how we can align the progressive values that attracted people to New Seasons to work there in the first place with how we do actions while still being militant, right, we don't want to be soft.
Speaker 6: We just got to make sure that like it vibes with what we're about, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's that's another you know, I think this this also gets back to the sort of culture part of it, which is like, yeah, like rebuilding the standard of do not cross a picket line is a thing that has to be done because that's again that's another thing that has sort of faded. And yeah, like guilt tripping people is a good way to do it because yeah, you know, like sort of especially especially sort of like middle and upper middle class progressive people, like really really there are a lot of their politics is about wanting to feel good about themselves and you know, make make.
Speaker 10: You they can see Yeah, I think if they can see themselves in us too, they will relate and they they won't want to go against their own values, which is our values, because that's the culture of Portland generally speaking.
Speaker 2: Did you have anything else that you want to make sure to get in before we wrap up?
Speaker 10: Yeah, we would love to push our gofund me.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 10: That can be found at our website, which is really hard to find.
Speaker 2: Is it a slut or but yeah, you have to type it in.
Speaker 16: You can't just google it.
Speaker 2: Okay, well we'll put it. We'll just we'll just put a link to it in the okay, cool.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 10: If anybody you know we're out here being independent union. We have no money. We're just looking for maybe some sort of strike fund for those in need when we are strike ready, and also you know, materials, whatever people can donate would be amazing.
Speaker 16: Final notes I would say too, is that you know when we started this, I mean, we're an independent union of grocery workers, right.
Speaker 6: We did all of this in our volunteer time.
Speaker 16: None of us are lawyers, none of a lot of us had never been in a union before or had very limited experience. We build this all from the ground up with tons of volunteer hours of our own time after work. And we have gone toe to toe with Ogle Tree Deacons, who is one of the largest anti union law firms in the country. That's who New Seasons has retained. We've gone toe to toe with them. We have a lawyer now who is really graciously kind of letting us write her in IOU for the time being, But even before her, we were still able to hold her own against a major anti union law firm. Right, there is power in workers coming together collectively. It's not as easy as it should be to find that information, but it is out there and there are people who want to share it, and I would say that, like, for me, the labor movement has been a really empowering place to come into. You know, I have a lot of experience with sort of like leftists, like street activism, but I think that for anybody who wants to be involved in the struggle and is also like looking for ways to make.
Speaker 6: In rigs and develop community like.
Speaker 16: Labors where it's at right, I mean, we all work and to a degree, we all hit our jobs and have something to complain about, and like that's a commonality that stretches across the aisle and allows for a lot of solidarity in a way that the culture war really doesn't want and really, like you know, it's by design, right, the capitalists want us fighting against each other, and the labor movement is a way for the working class to unite because it's it's about class far.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, here here, yeah, and you know this this should go without saying. I'm going to say it anyways, you also listener at home can do this too. There is you know, there there there there. There is nothing sort of magical or special about the people who do union organizing other than the fact that they decide to organize a union. So you can do this too. You can form an independent union and yeah, you can go hand your bosses a fucking gass and get better, you know, get better working conditions and get better things for you and your entire class in the process.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 16: I would say Labor Notes is a great resource for early information. The Coalition of Independent Unions is on Instagram and workers from around the country have reached out to them for advice. You know, on Instagram you can ask us questions. Reach out to independent unions and ask them questions. This is a labor movement made up of the workers for the workers. We want more workers to organize.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think on that note, Yeah, this has been Nike to happen here. Go into the world and fight. Yeah, thank you, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Maya Hey, We'll be back Monday with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the universe.
Speaker 2: It could happen here as a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 14: For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts, you can find sources for It could happen here, Updated monthly at cool zonemedia dot com slash sources. Thanks for listening.