Speaker 1: Hey, and welcome to the Short Stuff. I'm Josh, and Chuck's here and Jerry's here for Dave, So that makes this an official short stuff.
Speaker 2: That's right, And we're going to issue a trigger warning on this one. Part of the story has to do with sexual assault, so we just wanted to kind of let everyone know that that's coming. But ultimately this is a story of courage and bravery.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So if you go down to Sicily and southern Italy and ask them what a fou atina is, they will say, huh, we don't really do that anymore, but we'll tell you what it is anyway. It means sudden escape, and in its most benign form, it was a way for couples who were consenting. They wanted to get married, but their families were like, no, we don't approve of this union, and therefore you can't get married. It was a way for them to elope all right. So the fu atina was essentially an elopement. The key to the fu atina, though, was that the couple would wait a little while, say a week, and then they would return home and their families would presume that over the course of that week this couple had had premarital sex. So when they came back, the couple was like, now you have to agree to letting us get married. And in fact, it's going to be a specific type of marriage that's prescribed by law and socially it's called the matrimonial repertory. It's called a rehabilitating marriage. Right.
Speaker 2: That's right, and that was a legal thing. It was a socially accepted thing to where you could restore honor to that bride. It was a loophole if he wanted to get married and your parents didn't like he were getting married to. But there was a very dark version of this in which a man could take a woman that he wanted to marry even if she didn't want to. He could take her away, he could kidnap her, he could hold her against her will, he could sexually assault her, and then in the same way that that elopement, which was consensual would have to be, you know, could restore that marriage. They would then come back with a woman and say, well, you are now a tainted woman. If your damaged goods, no one's going to marry you. So if you want to restore your honor and you want to have a family, one day and be married. Then you have to marry me your maybe your captor and assault.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And so it's a no win situation here, right, because if you wanted to be not ostracized by your community, if you wanted to ever get married, because no one would marry you after you were essentially teened goods because you had been sexually assaulted by this man. The only way out of it was to consent to this rehabilitating marriage because it would restore your honor and then also conveniently, it erased any criminal act that had led to that marriage. Legally, it let the man off the hook for kidnapping in sexual assault because the woman had married her him, even though she had no choice. If she ever wanted to get married and say, have kids, her only chance now was with the man who had kidnapped and sexually assaulted her. That's just how that worked.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So this was a thing that went seemingly completely unchallenged as far as anyone knows, until the mid nineteen sixties, when a woman named Franka Viola came along and said no. In nineteen sixty three, in her hometown of Alcamo, she was fifteen years old, she was engaged to a twenty three year old nephew of a Sicilian mafioso. His name was Filippo Melodia, and they were headed toward marriage, but he got nabbed for a crime for theft. Six months into their engagement, she broke it off. He fled to Germany to escape this, going to prison basically, and while he was gone she became engaged. She fell in love to another guy, this guy she grew up with named Giuseppe Ruisi, her former fiance. I guess Melodia came back in nineteen sixty five, said I want you back, and she said, no, I really love this guy. I'm staying with him.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So Melodia kept trying over and over again to win her back, and she kept saying no every time, so as each time he was becoming angrier and angrier, and also he was humiliated every time that she turned him down. So he hatched a plan where he would kidnap Franca from her home. He and fifteen other men did on the day after Christmas in nineteen sixty five, and he held her at a farmhouse and he sexually assaulted her there over the course of a week, which effectively triggered that matrimonial repertory, like it gave her no choice at that point. Then after the week she was released, and then as part of this custom, initially Melodia and his accomplices were arrested, but the choice was up to Franca to press charges or to marry the guy. That was her choice. And again, up to this point, as far as we know, every single woman put in this position agreed to marry the person who kidnapped and sexually assaulted her.
Speaker 2: That's right. So I feel like that's halfway point. It's a good time for a break, and we'll tell you what happened right after this, all right. So I actually kind of spoiled it earlier when I said that she said no, But that's exactly what happened. Franca, very very bravely decided to press charges, and like you said, she was the first woman in modern times, maybe of all times, to say I'm not participating in this. Even though her honor was tarnished, her family's reputation was tarnished, They got threats, their barn and their vineyard were burned down because remember this is a nephew of a mafioso, so some heavy things were going down and these guys were arraigned for trial. It became an international story in nineteen sixty six. They knew he did it, so it wasn't like did you do it or not? He basically said no, no, no, I was love sick. She loved me too, and it was the parents who didn't approve. So this is just like a good old fashioned eloping. What was that called, It's like a good old fashioned fuitina. And she said this, I am the property of no one. No one can force me to love a person I do not respect. Honor is lost by the one who does certain things, not the one who was subjected to the right.
Speaker 1: She also said to him directly from the stand, I do not love you. I will not marry you. And she was despite she was going against all custom. And again, like I think it's worth pointing out, her family stood by her and rather than pressuring her to do you know what the community and society wanted her to do. That was extremely brave of them as well, and in return for her bravery and courage she won. Melodia lost his case and because rape and kidnapping were still crimes in Sicily and Italy, he was sentenced to eleven years in prison, ended up serving ten, and seven of his fifteen accomplices were received four year sentences each. And I guess kind of joyously two years after Filippo Melodia got out of prison, so he spent ten years in prison. Within two years he'd been gunned down Modina in Italy famous for its balsamic vannegar.
Speaker 2: So the media, you know, got a hold this story, like I said earlier, and you might think like the media talked about like just how awful this was. They did in a way, but the media in Italy also talked about how pretty she was, and there were on TV there were panel discussions where they talked to local men about like, hey, like you know, she's good looking, would you still marry her? And you know they were all like no, I still wouldn't marry her. So the media coverage was just very sexist and not fair. But she did get married to Giuseppe. They were married December nineteen sixty eight. She was twenty by this time, he was twenty five years old, and it was a like it was a national celebration basically when she got married.
Speaker 1: Yeah, surprisingly there was a huge happy ending of this Giuseppe's another person who deserves credit for standing by her too. He was honestly the only chance. He was the only man who could step up and restore her honor because essentially she they got married under a matrimonial raprare. And yeah, it was a celebration by the country, so much so that Italy's president, and I think Mashable pointed this out, Italy's president directly sent them a wedding president of forty dollars, which would be over two hundred and fifty dollars today, and the transport minister gave them a month of free railway rides. So like this woman went rail pass Yeah, pretty much. I mean a month of it. That's pretty good for a newly whit couple, right. Yeah, So they she went from scorned and people in the media talking about how her life was basically over, she was going to be a spinster to being celebrated in Italy by the very people who had essentially tried to pressure her into submitting to Melodia's advances.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this was nineteen sixty six when it happened. He would think, well, in nineteen sixty seven, they probably got rid of this thing, not so it wasn't. It took till nineteen eighty one to repeal that law, which is staggering. I can't believe it took that long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the foutina is still around in the rehabilitation. Marriage is still around. But the key is that if you rape the woman, you are no longer off the hook if she marries you. And yeah, the fact that it took more than a decade is a little unnerving, but that was one of the things that she did. She kind of shined an international spotlight on this really backwards custom, and Italy and Sicily were kind of like shrinking a little bit in the spotlight because it just made them look so bad. So that was one thing she did. And also she was credited for inspiring no less than four women in the same situation to press charges on their abductor and assault her by the time she even got the trial. Who knows how many she she inspired after that. So she changed this custom that was so old you can't even tell when it would have began.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. If you do think, why haven't I seen this movie, well you can. There's a filmmaker named Marta Savina who had an award winning short film called Viola, and she turned that into a feature film called Prima Donna or The Girl from Tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Yes, and in an even happier part of the happy ending on International Wednesday. In twenty fourteen, President Giorgio Napolitano bestowed on Franca the honor of Grande Officiale del ordinae el Marito della Republica Italiana, which means that she was essentially knighted for her active bravery. Amazing, amazing, huge hat tip to m I had never heard of Franko Viola until she mentioned her to me. I think she sent me an article a while back, so yeah, I appreciate that. I think the whole world does now. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Did she was it from the did she see the movie or was it just from something she read.
Speaker 1: I think she ran across something like an article on the internet and send it to me, So yeah, I want to check check out that movie. Let's see what that's like. Yeah, and a huge hat tip to Franco Viola too for being so brave. That's just what an amazing story. Agreed Chucks That agreed short Stuff is out. Stuff You Should Know is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts, my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.