Speaker 1: Guess what, everybody.
Speaker 2: We are two weeks away from pre season basketball, I know, and about a week away from the start of training camps, and we'll get into some pre camp news as well as the latest rumor surrounding Dame and Harden and plenty more with podcaster and founder of follow Through CJ.
Speaker 3: Tola Dono. On today's episode, I'm Miles Gray.
Speaker 1: And I'm Jack O'Brien, and this is Jack Davis.
Speaker 4: D drive Me, Spinny Curry a three Porter, Steph Curry from the Tell Again.
Speaker 5: Be Honest, Super look Out, Little Shot Time.
Speaker 1: Yes, CJ.
Speaker 4: Tol Dono, both of the new show Casuals and founder of follow Through, You have blessed us with yet an Their guest appearance on was Jack on Mad Boostb's how are you?
Speaker 5: I'm good? It's it's a good time to be on here during the dead. It's like, literally, this is I'm tired of there not being any news, but people like pump fake in where they're going. So yeah, hopefully this stuff is figured out in a couple of weeks. But I've been counting down to my family, really just my wife and my baby, the days until Lakers basketball is back. And I made the same mistake as a lot of people were. Pep were like twenty more days and then found out it's the media and so like that, like it's it would be would have been pathetic if I didn't realize that when the countdown was over, and then it was just like me looking at photos of the same Lakers in Lakers uniforms that haven't changed.
Speaker 1: That's what all fans are really in it for, is Media Day. You get to see them in their uniforms. Maybe maybe we'll get another Jimmy Butler pair.
Speaker 2: I was saying, he made Media Day worth tuning into, I think with the with the wig, But yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: We'll see, we'll see what kind of what kind of spirit he's in now. Is the Laker uniform going to change any bit this year? I feel like every of those things like it's going to be a little more gold than last year, and actually.
Speaker 5: They've got less and less gold.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 5: I think they got some alternates that are fine. You know, the alternates are interesting every year. But yeah, they got some alternates. But other than that, you know, kind of classic like the Kobe little rug jersey they got behind me that, you know, right, they still have the classic uniform that like it. It is a different yellow, but it's still iconic in many ways.
Speaker 3: Right right, right, I get it, I get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't mess with the yellow.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, I mean it's been a big thing with Laker fans.
Speaker 5: I was making. I was making like Lakers merch as you guys know, and like people are like, better print that on gold, that better be on gold, And I'm like, I thought gold and yellow were the same thing, and so like that was my initiat part of my initiation into Lakers fandom as a you know, somewhat recent fan of the Lakers. But yeah, learned everything on gold.
Speaker 3: Wait did you say that jersey behind you is a rug?
Speaker 5: This is a rug? Yeah, from a slow Jams He makes some really dope stuff Lakers fan. Yeah, this is a rug. So I was like, you don't put this on the ground. You don't put a jersey on the ground to clean your shoes.
Speaker 3: You no, no, no, exactly if you start off.
Speaker 5: With a podcast just to show it off.
Speaker 2: Exactly, that's a prayer Matt for some people, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the leak Lakers City Edition jersey is like it's got a pyramid thing.
Speaker 5: Going on like it's spelled out, like they just like put the whole name.
Speaker 1: Right, Los Angeles is spelled in a rooftop.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the end is at the top and everything descends down from there. Yes, yes, I'm not sure what they're trying to say, but hey.
Speaker 3: You know it's the Lakers. He starts at the top. So where are we at? Oh?
Speaker 1: At a certain point, you know they've been doing the city edition jerseys for a while. Ye, at a certain point, it's like it feels like they're they're just being like I don't know, man, Like what if we like put the letters in like kind of a weird pattern, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what if we like scattered the normal text all over the jersey, but.
Speaker 1: If it was like kind of a word jumble.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems like it's a throwback to like how some of this like team staff had like stuff that was printed like that. But like, come on, give me like a Randy's Donuts type thing like that.
Speaker 5: I've seen like some in and Out photo shops where they did like you know, like the cup. That would be like that's real. Everyone when they come to LA they want to go to In and Out. That that's something that represents whether or not you like in and out. It is a part of our city.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is. It is.
Speaker 5: It'd be sick, it'd be sick to see them rock in that uniform.
Speaker 2: But we can't have like white and red because then we're Stralippers.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean that, right?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I should do that. I'm not the biggest that's.
Speaker 3: Ready for them. That's perfect, you know, perfect.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's so nice for them. It'd be like a little religious like Bible verse on the back of the jersey somewhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, on the inside.
Speaker 2: If you look at the reverse side of the jersey, underneath where the little player tag is, it'll say.
Speaker 3: John three to sixteen.
Speaker 1: Baby, there you go.
Speaker 3: You already know we do, already know.
Speaker 1: Well what the last time we we talked, Miles, But what were we talking about the the US had lost?
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we just we talked about how they lost and how some people were just in true disbelief and getting angry when it's not real. You're saying the feet of the World Cup isn't real.
Speaker 5: Well, the US team that we set out there is not the real representative of US basketball. He's not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not the team that we say this, we're giving it are all, so to speak. But that's still a good We were still saying, that's still a good team. And you would expect I think I would expect slightly more than what we.
Speaker 1: Did with that team. Was an NBA team this season?
Speaker 3: How many?
Speaker 1: How many wins?
Speaker 5: At best? Forty five?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 3: No one is, no one likes this team?
Speaker 5: I think. Really the thing is, like forty five wins is actually not that bad in the current NBA. You know, like you're you're making the playoffs a little bit, right.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, I thought they'd get like say, I thought they'd be the best team in the league.
Speaker 5: I don't know, I don't think so. I think, like think about it. Austin Reeves, who was starting for them, like like ant was the best player on the team and is the best player on a current team and they got knocked out of the playoffs.
Speaker 1: You know, the rest of his team is not that Britain.
Speaker 5: They had one good center, they have a one yet they had one great center, Jaron Jackson junior, and he's you know, mostly not mostly defense, but he can't he can't stack up against some of these other centers, you know what I mean, Like, I don't know, Wow, if they're the best NBA team.
Speaker 1: Coached by Steve Kerr with an assistant being come on.
Speaker 5: But then it wasn't. He had like quotes saying like go coach yourselves, Like these guys want to enjoy the Philippines. We all know that's why they were right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, coach was.
Speaker 5: Seeing some friends and family. I don't I'm not mad, but and we did. We like, Okay, this is where it's a little interesting. It's like we've we've woken the beasts of lebron KD and these other guys where they're trying to do redeem team again. But now it's like twelve years later. Yeah, so that hopefully that doesn't backfire.
Speaker 3: You know, it's giving space cowboys.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's wild.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I'm getting.
Speaker 2: And I know disrespect to them, but I feel like there's plenty of the youth, uh that could step into the fray that would do just as well, just as well.
Speaker 1: So you think because ant won how many games last season? Uh, you know with with Gobert, he won like forty two. So you think you think this team, this supporting cast is a three game improvement over.
Speaker 5: Okay, maybe I'll get in the fifties. But you think about like I mean Tyree's haliburt Is on the Pacers, they didn't do anything like who else on the squad cal Bridges like overrun the net, like they these guys didn't really make a debt and you do got to you gotta take away some from them in that they're not so like they weren't really playing the role, not fitting the roles, right really right, So I think like they're they're absolutely not a bad team. They're not like the the best team.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know interesting, interesting, I love it. I want I want to run this experiment now. I'm like very interesting. Two k Yeah, yeah, it'd be fun to say.
Speaker 5: But I mean like we stacked like there have been some Lakers teams not to just keep talking with Lakers and some Lakers team that we stacked them with names that would have made up a FEBA team and it just totally backfire.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, yeah, we have Malone, Carl Malone.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if you were like Carl Malone, Gary Payton, Shaq, Kobe weren't the best team in the NBA, You're insane. It's like, well, they they made the final zone is totally fine too.
Speaker 1: And caught him one year after they turned after after the expiration date, and superroducer Jabari of course says Carl doesn't hurt that they went. They weren't titled. We're not even having this conversation right now. Jack is probably not even born Sladden door situation, you know. Anyways, So despite failing to medal in the FOBA Games, uh team you say is atop the Feber rankings now their ranked number one. They entered the tournament ranked number two. I don't are they just like looking at the fact that but when that once they lose, they seem to bounce back and get all their talent together and therefore their number one.
Speaker 2: Their greatest strength is to be publicly humiliated. Yeah, and then they come back with a vengeance.
Speaker 3: So interesting.
Speaker 2: That is just a great example of failing up though, like literally yeah, it's like, yeah, man, we couldn't even get in the top three, but you know what climb those climb the charts baby to the top spot.
Speaker 5: I mean, yeah, they've the world should have known. They've gotten USA angry enough to now recruit Joel embiid A. I don't even think like clear American to probably play on Team USA right right the next time around?
Speaker 3: How how long has he spent in the States?
Speaker 2: Even are they going for the pure like naturalized, you know, citizen route to be like yeah, yeah, I think so.
Speaker 5: I mean it was like kind of like how I think Kakeem played for Team USA? Who else? There are some other guys? I feel like that just made the Cup? But yeah, I mean the thing is like Joelle can play for France, but you know, why would he play on the sixers and come up short every season? Then go, hey, I'm gonna go you know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I want to be the star on my Olympic team. Right, maybe the bronze right right?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: I guess talking to also, you know, we're in that period where there's a lot of movers, maybe movers, not full on movers. Jannie was recently on The forty eight Minutes Podcast and was saying, you know that as long as Milwaukee remains committed to winning another.
Speaker 3: Title, he could see himself playing there the rest of his career.
Speaker 1: That doesn't exist, doesn't however, the forty eight Minutes Podcast, Okay, yeah, sure.
Speaker 5: We're running out of thank you. I've ha like a word bank and they've all been.
Speaker 2: Used, right, like any wordplay on like par k done, It's done, Yeah exactly. But then he said, however, if there is a better situation for me to win another ring, I'll have to take that better situation.
Speaker 3: And this is the second time this, like the last couple.
Speaker 2: Of months, the last month Thatianis has been you know, sending a message.
Speaker 3: Now is he doing the gentlemanly deuces here? Is that what we're watching him do?
Speaker 2: Because I don't think if you're fully committed to something, you don't really have to say that, right.
Speaker 5: I yeah, I think he could definitely leave. Like the thing is, I think he he is saying all this. I don't think he is like convinced he can leave, but he is going to put everything out there to force that organization to get it together, like Promis has run out of brothers to sign on the box and then you know, keep him on the roster and put him down in the G League like there's no more. There's no more. Brothers are all in the league in some way connected. So you gotta get some real players in there that aren't Joe Lingles and aren't Grayson at like Chris Middleton's got to be healthy all year. But if not, Giannis is gonna he's gonna see what suitors are out there. But the thing is, I'm almost having a hard time to like thinking where does where does Giannicis go that It's like not like, you know, he doesn't become a Katie the Worrist situation where he's a villain and it's an automatic championship. Yeah, is it the Knicks. But then is that a guaranteed championship or is that just hey, he's the Milwaukee Bucks. Put in a bigger mark.
Speaker 1: Whoever does the nixt thing and gets them back to a championship like that, that is legend legend status and of course completely overshadows his Bucks championship. It would be like when Kareem went to LA and suddenly we remember him as a Laker instead of that would be rough guy for Bucks fans. This doesn't feel like he's sending a message. He's just straight up saying like I will lead, Like he's not like and b like takes takes the sixers off his like Twitter bio or whatever, like you know he's doing all this cryptic stuff, you honest is just like, uh yeah, I would leave if I found a better situation. I mean, I don't know. He's being pretty clear.
Speaker 2: I feel Yeah, I guess, so, I guess, but really like making sure of him sending.
Speaker 3: The table for fans to understand why.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, look, I want to be here, but if they're messing around and I don't have the right pieces around me, then I have to go.
Speaker 3: And I'm sorry to you all.
Speaker 1: But that's sorry list man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but I guess we'll see, we'll know more by the by this next season.
Speaker 5: He should go to the Knicks and he should live in the Eminem's World Store.
Speaker 1: You know, like really really live in Times Square, like at the TGI Fridays in the Olive Garden, the Red Lobster there. Yeah, that would be it. That would actually be like that. That's the human endurance feet that I want to see David Blaine try and take on. Is like live for a full year in Times Square just you have to only eat in Times Square. You only see people. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: But the rules are but you can't have blinds on your windows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like square has to be. It's like when that when Kramer lived next to the Kenny Rogers Roasters yeah exactly, and it's just like like it does something to you with all that light coming.
Speaker 1: In and you need to you can't order pizza from outside of Times Square. You have to eat sparrow, like that's the only type of pizza you're allowed to have. Whatever Times Square.
Speaker 2: I could see like Giannis with like a Halal truck, you know or something, or like you know, Greek diner and Yonkers or you know, was it Queen's who who got the Greek diners out there?
Speaker 3: Is the queens?
Speaker 1: I mean they're everywhere. The historia is like a story got all the Greek diner They have some good yeah, really good Greek.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so then you can I can already see the promo materials with Yannis at the Greek diner in a story, you know what I mean, just just doing the whole New York.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's let's take a quick break. We'll come back. We'll keep talking NBA news. We'll be right back. And we're back. We're back, and just as I predicted. Okay, Miles, yep, we were in Vegas for a mere twenty four hours.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I didn't make many bets that I know. I bet once on roulette hit my numbers, dude.
Speaker 2: That I can't even how much the way you thought you messed up when you.
Speaker 1: Were betting on roulette, You're like, oh no, I don't know. So I put on the eleven to one green, which I thought meant that I was betting that it would fall on numbers one to eleven, but it was actually just either zero or double zero. But it hit double zero. Oh my god, that you know, had a couple hundred dollars to my name all of a sudden, went directly to the sports book and put it all on the Phoenix Suns to win the title and the Oklahoma City Thunder to win the title. And the reason I put it on the Oklahoma City Thunder is I was like, what if Dame went to the Thunder. That's not true. I had just seen Chet play in the Summer League and I thought he looked cool. But there are rumors all of a sudden that I might be a genius and that Dame might be going to Okay seem a lot of ifs, but that would be very interesting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he literally said he will not play, he won't report to training camp.
Speaker 1: If it's not the heat, this is I think it's implied that the Oklahoma City Thunder are an exception to that, but they're basically the Miami Heat of the Midwest.
Speaker 2: Where it's still this is where it still works, right because as I think it was Chris Mannicks who said it on the NBA podcast was on the Crossover, said that if it's January, come January, if Dame is still on the Blazers, and if okay See is overachieving, then maybe you could see them go for Dame. Yeah, which it'll still it all still works. Like in that scenario, Jack, You're still winning.
Speaker 1: I'm still winning. Yeah. So I don't know that that's intriguing.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 1: It's just fun to think of. Is there a dark horse team that could jump in the mix here that is not the Heat, that is not the Blazers, that could have Damian Lillard on their team.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah. I just the thing is is that, Yeah, I can't believe it's taken so long for Dame to get his way that I at this point, I am like someone has something up their sleep, even if it's like, you know, I think Dame's representation, like I think Dame is like one of the most like straightforward, nice guys like loyal. So I don't think he's like, you know, really just been like I'm only gonna play for the Miami Heat. Like I think he's like open to a good situation. I think his management is going, you gotta go Miami Heat. Only say Miami Heat, let's hold out, and Dames like, okay, I trust you guys. And so I do feel like if a team like okay, see or whoever, the Knicks or any or the Bucks were like, hey, here's a good like if the Bucks put it together a package where they kept together someone of their team and Dame was to go over there with Giannis, like, there's no way you got to say no, or you're gonna say no, right yeah, right. The thing is to me, the Heat situation isn't an automatic championship, So it's like, if a good situation arises, put your name in the hat, go after. So yeah, I'm with it. I think like otherwise we would have seen Dame to Miami body, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean yeah, what's I guess what's the wildest place you think you could see him going? If we're being just in a fantastic world.
Speaker 1: Right now, the wildest place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like where do you think he would just I mean, like I for I mean the.
Speaker 1: Globe Comers, Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Speaker 3: Oh d d C.
Speaker 1: Is so dang like for him to like make the leap into a fixal world. But then it's DC like.
Speaker 5: James Gone really sells like he's like, hey, I've taken over.
Speaker 7: It's different, you know, Okay, yeah, like super loyal fans, like the Portland Trailblazers fans, you know, like super loyal, but like there's something a little off.
Speaker 1: They all have beards and you know, the they ride for that product, even though the product is pretty inconsistently.
Speaker 2: Seeing him and how him how like well he did on Cameron's podcast, I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, you're not open to New York So cool man? He really is. Like every time I see him, like interviewed or just like talking, I'm like, he might not be the best player in the NBA, but he is the coolest player in the NBA and maybe like one of the cooler human beings on the plane.
Speaker 3: How you like it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, just rapping. I don't know much about rap, but it's not cringe worthy like some of the players. True, you know, I would I agree. Jacket's like you round out you get averages on like him as a person player cool, also like good dad from what we've seen, and also his like side hustles like wrapping and stuff like decent to great on all. And that's like there are some big name players who I would like they bring themselves down with what they what they their hobbies.
Speaker 3: Are, right right right?
Speaker 5: I like I liked him a lot, and this thing is like I think we all truly just want what is best.
Speaker 3: For ucking truly truly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want what's best for him. I want what's best for just the like it would be. I just want him to like go to the right situation and like that team to be competitive. I don't want to see him like go somewhere and it's like, oh it's like didn't work out, you know. Like that's why that's how I feel about, you know, the Suns this year, Like I want them to be super competitive because I want KD to like be in the mix. Like those are these are all players. That's the other that's the other team I put money on. So that's really why I care about this story at all. This is a gambling player, Okay, I see what you did here. Producer Jabari snuck in it after we started recording Snuck in a little story, Welcome back to Philly, Jim. So, James Harden's doesn't look like it's going to work out for him with the Clippers. So he's going to do what just like play for Philadelphia after he said, let me repeat myself. I'm not sure what happens here, but it does. It doesn't seem like it seemed like he wanted to play for the Clippers and now that's not going to happen. I don't think he's been super clear about like I must play in these specific locations other than not for the So he's like an inverted Dame in that in both he is and also, uh, you know, he's just saying I don't want to play for the one team anywhere else stick me anywhere, which makes me wonder. I mean, maybe we even that equation out and them to Portland per Dame game Philly.
Speaker 5: That's the thing is, like I don't know how good of a plan it is to be like, hey, I want to I want the most money and I'm not going to win you a championship, which is what James Harden is now saying. You know, like at a certain point, it was like, hey, we can win a championship with him, but he's not won a championship with four teams. Like, uh yeah, I don't know how much more you can do.
Speaker 1: This Chames interesting to see. I can't wait to I can't wait to watch so many teams this season, the Spurs, I can't wait to watch it. Okay, see, I can't wait to watch I'm really looking forward to seeing my tall Boys player Stevens.
Speaker 3: All the teams you have money.
Speaker 1: On the son you're also in there.
Speaker 5: I haven't.
Speaker 1: I haven't been able to put my webbing. I'm a defensive Player of the Year bet down. How lots have moved on that, but I I think that would be interesting. Yeah. He was like really like long odds on that, and he did. It. Feels like there's a world where he averages like four or five blocks a game.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyways, our listeners have heard me say this truly a thousand times. It's my one good idea about the NBA this year. My mixers me winning money. The seventy six ers are not one of the teams that I'm excited to see.
Speaker 5: I just I don't know Pat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like Pat is fun.
Speaker 8: Yeah, oh man, we have a like less excited to be there Joe l Embiid, and a like miserable to be there James Harden What what could be more fun to watch?
Speaker 2: He's going to be Paul Rudd and what hot American summer every time he has to go into the game.
Speaker 1: Nick see how Nurses Nurse concerts released. But like, their problem was never how good they looked in the regular season, like Doc truly one of the great regular season coaches of all time. It was just like, how do you coach your way out of the second round and like figure some things out in a seven game series? And that's just what they were unable to do. So like the Nick Nurse experience would only be like, yes, here we are entering the playoffs in a good position, and now I'm excited that Nick Nurse is here. But that's not that there's a lot of ifs to get to that point.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you know, if you need a team to get excited about, Jackie, you can always just look in the city you're in.
Speaker 3: You know, the Lakers.
Speaker 1: Lakers, I mean, the Lakers are my Lebron's always like whoever, whatever team Lebron's on like has unofficially been the team that I'm always pulling or you know, throughout his career. So I am still excited about the Lakers, and I get reminded every time they make a move yeah by Miles and Jabbari Yep, yep. So this is what do we do this this week?
Speaker 3: In Lakers Update Extended, we extended Van Doll and.
Speaker 1: That was one of my top questions heading into the off season. I was like, but what about vand do right right right? Exactly? Thank you, Jack.
Speaker 2: But I think the bigger question that we were talking off Mike was with Christian Wood. What Jabari is like, if it's all or none. If he plays well, it's it's number eighteen, hang it up, that's where he was at. And if he doesn't, it's going to be like watching a like a a shoddy spacecraft re enter Earth's atmosphere and it's going to break apart and be like a flame ball mess type of thing.
Speaker 1: The whole team. That's what you're putting all that on Christian Wood.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, but his performance, like he's either going to play so well that he's a vital part of us winning a championship, or he's going, it's just going to be like a just disastrous from him.
Speaker 5: Uh yeah, he definitely like he's supposed to be a big man, right, he was like our big center we're looking for, and everyone's all like, he can shoot the three, and I'm like, god, no, he could shoot the three. And I'm like, all right, stop, we got a lot of guys who can shoot the three. Now we have pikeeen guards, like we I just need a center. Like That's why I was like open to Tristan, Like I was like Tristan, Dwight Howard, who else was out there? Like I just want a guy who just is big and will play defense and just like stop the other team from scoring a ton of points while a d is out. And the fact that did Christian would move into the starting lineup already, so Rui's.
Speaker 3: In there, No no, no, yeah, Well.
Speaker 5: That's the thing is people are talking about Christian Wood is starting moving already in the starting while I'm like, the thing is Lakers fans are insane.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, it's like it's it's funny too when I say some things that are completely I should be wearing a straight jacket as I say them. But it's also funny when you start people saying like you hear people say stuff like that, You're like, well, well hold on, come on now, let's not go all the way there.
Speaker 1: So we have his career averages, like right here, Jabari put him unto the dock and first thing that jumps out at me. You know, he starts three, he starts. He starts like four seasons ago when he's with the Pelicans, I guess it's only eight games, but he puts up sixteen seventeen points, eight rebounds a game in eight games. Next season he's with the Pistons. The Pelicans are like, well that was interesting, but no, thank you, uh Pistons. Over the course of sixty two games, he's putting up thirteen points six rebounds. Next year with the Rockets, just like everybody is immediately they're like, wow, he really progressing, and we're out things are really looking up and just not here.
Speaker 5: Realizes that they're not playing fantasy basketball, Like is he are those stats doing anything? I think? Is like the question?
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, like I don't.
Speaker 5: The thing is I watched basketball. I don't remember Christian Wood storylines, Like I don't remember any of those. I forgot about him. On New Orleans, Like, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a time when we were not really checking for New Orleans.
Speaker 5: The thing is, does it it might not matter whether Christian Wood is good at which is the opposite of what what Miles is saying. It might not matter as long because we were good good before that signing, right besides, like, but yeah, do we ah man? It kind of also does feel like the year after they won the champ the twenty twenty Championship, where we felt so good about.
Speaker 3: The roster, oh man, and.
Speaker 5: We did feel good up until the first round and Ad got hurt. Like, but it's I'm a little concerned. We don't know how good Gabe Vincent is not on the.
Speaker 3: Heat, Yeah, yeah, true, true.
Speaker 5: We don't know if Jackson Hayes is is good. They're saying he can play like a Dwight twenty twenty role. I'm like, I've never seen that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because a lot of it is like looking at it through like rose tinted glasses, where you're like, yeah, it's Gabe Vincent from the playoffs that we just saw.
Speaker 3: That's the guy who's going to be there the entire season.
Speaker 2: Even though the story there was like where did this guy come from.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that we've never heard of regular season Gabe Vincent. Yess what, like he's going to have to be that way.
Speaker 2: He may have to go back to his home planet during the regular season. Yeah, until he's called upon in the postseason. But yeah, I think it's also on the stats there how many blocks does my man get?
Speaker 1: Yea, yeah, the center stats are not included found the blocks of behind to pay wall. Uh And and the Piston stats from the season with the Pistons are actually just rumored. Nobody actually watched the Pistons, so we can't.
Speaker 5: Actually, yeah, I'm going to go eat a deep dish pizza, that's right.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean he was eighteen points ten boards two seasons ago. It's yeah, pretty for over sixty eight games, like they're you know. And then with the Mavericks they were like no thank you and played him less and he still got like sixteen sixteen points, seven boards. But we'll see, man, we'll see. This does not feel I truly do think like Vanderbilt is my guy. Like there there were moments in the playoffs and in the like towards the end of the regular season where he truly got in people's shorts. Yeah yeah, and really like is is like a and he ate them eat up their shorts.
Speaker 3: They were having cows left and right.
Speaker 1: If you can start like consistently knocking down the three, he is truly like he's going to be such a such a valuable player.
Speaker 2: I mean, but I'm just looking at these this there's a three point percentage from Christian wood Man.
Speaker 1: But what I in my eye over on this side is, uh, this man shooting in the high there we've.
Speaker 2: Been clamoring for exactly man, Well we shall sy. How you feeling though about the Lakers in general?
Speaker 3: CJ, I'm excited.
Speaker 5: Like I it wasn't the craziest summer, and that's I wanted it to be. I didn't realize how quiet of a summer I wanted to have after that run in the playoffs. Like it's good they got Austin Reeves an incredible deal. I like insant RUI is is in Like they got those guys they needed to sign, and then they have these new guys who I think, like I hope they buy into the system they got. I mean, I'm like even down with seeing Dilo, like let's see what happens there. I'm miss shrewder but I uh, and a lot of like some of my trusted Lakers fans, like we fought over Shooter all season, but when he was gone, everyone's like, oh, did we make a mistake? Like what what player has left twice? And and you asked, do we make a mistake letting him go again? But yeah, the the question is is, like, who's going to stop the Nuggets. I think that if you're just to isolate the Lakers and the Nuggets, we have a we have a great case of beating like we could beat them. That's all. Like, that's the only question I'm asking myself. And I'm going to try to enjoy the hell of this regular season because I put myself through torture last season. I was like, but I'm watching every game and I was rewarded with that run. But like this year, I want to have like a nice steady have a beer and not go to bed angry, just like you know, yeah, I just want to have.
Speaker 1: A nice eighty two and oh season. Yeah exactly, that's all right, No suspense, nothing, yeah, nothing spectacular.
Speaker 3: Yeah. We need to be ahead forty by the end of the first quarter. That's pretty much. And then we're good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the kids just shared a tweet from Lakers Guru at Guru Lakers trusted.
Speaker 5: No one ever has any issues with him.
Speaker 1: Never never, I don't know. Guru Lakers is history, but testing one two is this thing on twenty three, twenty four salaries, Fred van Vliet forty million, Tobias Harris a cool thirty nine million. Nobody has ever doubted or thought that was not worth it. Beans de means thirty eight million. So both two of those coming from your boys in Philly. CJ. McCollum thirty six million, Austin Ruy Van doh Christian Wood thirty five million. Total.
Speaker 5: Incredible, Rob. I've never also never changed my mind on a person more quickly. Yeah, like yeah, how he was ready to like send squad, a squad or a squat team to like shut me down from the tweets that had Roblinka, and then they all turned into this is this is gone. He's on.
Speaker 2: You're like, Saint Rob, thank you so much for all that you have bestowed upon me. You've got somehow got Austin Reeves with a promo code.
Speaker 3: For that.
Speaker 1: He did scan the QR code on that. Yeah, yeah, like what do you think he figured out. Do you think he just started trying. He was like, I guess I could try and be good at this, like being a GM.
Speaker 9: Like what happened, there was no way really like I've never seen a turn like playoff Jimmy like that kind of thing. It was like, you know what, playoff Jimmy, but from a GM, think about all crazy.
Speaker 5: This is where he's like, I got to actually do a good job. Let me get those two guys that went from the Timberwolves to the Jazz and weren't being played like yeah, you know it was, let's start playing Austin Reeves. Hey, yeah, a little bit of luck in and Rob is the goat. I don't know what. I don't know how to hell that happened.
Speaker 1: It was insane, Yeah, crazy, Well, good for you guys, that's great. I'm happy for the Lakers and very excited for my seventy six ers. All right, all right, we'll be.
Speaker 3: Right back.
Speaker 1: And we're back stretching out folks. You ready, all right?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You ready?
Speaker 2: Right, yep for the fastest question and answer segment in all podcasting history. You're ready, Okay, this is the rapid fire round questioning. CJ toldano I hope you are ready. Uh, you know the deal.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: We're gonna ask a question. Just fire it right back, don't don't give like some s A T two answer. Okay, just in the bubble. Okay, that's what we're trying to do, ri ip scantrons. I just realized they're not using scantrons anymore.
Speaker 3: Wow. Yeah, that's for all the old people to remember. It's all digital, man, it's all digital, folks. It's all going digital.
Speaker 1: And I'm probably all in the cloud exactly.
Speaker 3: It's all the cloud. Man.
Speaker 1: My parents love talking about blue.
Speaker 2: But here we are, fourth quarter rapid fire. CJ toil a dono ma boo. Hi, because we're about to go in, Brian.
Speaker 5: Start the claw.
Speaker 1: Brian's cowering in the corner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because he should be, because this is serious business. Okay, this is quick too, this is fat man.
Speaker 2: I already asked fourteen questions. You didn't even hear him, bro, Maybe I should slow it down, Jack, Should you want to go?
Speaker 3: Where should I go?
Speaker 5: That's just deeper?
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, yeah, you got me there, you got me there. Hey man, let me take He's really good. He's really good, man. I don't want to go first.
Speaker 1: All right, I'll go first, yourj Tola Dono. This is the rapid Oh you already covered all that, CJ. You could take two players from all of history to create your Mad Boosti's edition NBA Jam Team. Which two players are you taking?
Speaker 5: Jason Williams and Shack.
Speaker 1: Jason Williams in Shack yep, okay wait, NBA Jam games.
Speaker 5: Those are NBA Jam skill sets. Yeah, handles, dishes, dunks.
Speaker 2: CJ Toldonald, next question, who was the best player you have ever witnessed in person?
Speaker 3: And what did they do?
Speaker 5: It was shoot best player in person. I saw Shack. I saw Shack at the Orlando Airport right after I was trying to buy a Batman Forever book and he was just autographing and not saying no to anybody like height of it was ninety four.
Speaker 1: He whoa, you know, not flying private like wow?
Speaker 5: What like just audio playing anywhere.
Speaker 1: He just liked to go public pla sign autographs in Hudson.
Speaker 5: News, cleaning out Hudson News and buying everyone everything.
Speaker 2: You know, this is right when he was Neon Boudreaux. Yeah, in Blue Chips ninety four. That's serious business. Now I've heard from you. I don't think I've ever encountered check in person, is it. I've heard that it's like another level of big.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yes, oh he pulled up.
Speaker 2: I remember in the Shack's edition to Jenesta Park once Jabari was there. He used to pull up to that park on the valley and that was the first time I had seen him like not like very far away at a Laker game, and I was like, this is kind of spooky.
Speaker 5: No, he is.
Speaker 9: To me.
Speaker 5: He is like like the one of the greatest humans, you know what I mean, like in stature and what he's done, Like it's hard. Shack is hard to beat.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like so you'd say, like of your all time cool people, like Dame is maybe like number five on that list, and like Shack is that what like dish like.
Speaker 5: The regular homie like we said earlier, you know, he's just I'm not going to freak out even though I do love him. I'm I'm backing him up, and I'm just like, Okay, we had lunch today.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 1: May's edition NBA jam would be pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I'm constrained the chat saying is this rapid fire?
Speaker 3: Yeah, CJ, come on, we got to keep this moving.
Speaker 2: Follow up question, though, who is the person you would pay most to see in person.
Speaker 1: Play like play basket player?
Speaker 3: They had to play? Well, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean unless it's someone a basketball player doing something in person.
Speaker 1: But what are you paying to see him?
Speaker 5: Honestly? Magic Johnson? Yeah, I never got to see Magic playing person.
Speaker 1: What would you would you be paying to see him play basketball or tweet?
Speaker 5: Our host a talk show? Yeah, because I'd probably pay the most. I would love to write on the Magic out is what I can pay for that? That would Magic. I would love to see Magic. And you know they canceled, you know, winning time, so I won't be able to watch it through that. Yeah, but yeah, I'd love to see live.
Speaker 3: Who is?
Speaker 1: What do we like His writing processes for his tweets straight right off the dome? But like it sometimes like yeah first thought first, but like two hours later sometimes like just watched the you know. Anyways, he just has.
Speaker 5: A Twitter that he doesn't follow anyone. He didn't doesn't think anyone follows him, and it's just only his thing pops up and so he's like, I'm ground I'm groundbreaking tweets, right, groundbreaking? I know what the rest of Twitter looks like that's Johnson's life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and yeah, Jabia has a point. It is voice to text no matter where he is.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 2: I just saw the new Indiana Jones movie Harrison Ford.
Speaker 3: He will always be a star. Y'all must check it out. Five stars.
Speaker 5: That's the total Magic Johnson Theaters show times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 2: Little known fact Jimmy Kimmel and Stephen Colbert turned down the role to be Magic Johnson's sidekick on The Magic Hour.
Speaker 5: No yeah, wow, whoa. Yeah, that's insane.
Speaker 2: And look at where their careers are now in shambles blew podcast like us, Yeah, exactly idiots.
Speaker 1: All right, CJ. You like vintage gear, clothes, shoes with a piece of NBA gear or a shoe that you would like to see.
Speaker 3: Make a comeback, like the shooting shirt, you know what I mean, Like that kind of stuff that we always used to see back in the day.
Speaker 5: They're I mean, let's see here. Yeah, I think the NBA shooting jackets were great, like the wind breaker type, because now Nike they do some variations and it just nothing is like a big get swing or a big gamble like that wind break, you know.
Speaker 3: What I mean?
Speaker 5: The matching pants. Yeah, like the ones that like the guys would come out during the All Star Game over their All Star uniform. Yeah, and like where Jordan would like whole Pennies Hard or Penny Hardways tear aways away, right, those are iconic to me. We don't have now. Guys come out and like the practice shirt they come out in like you know, T shirts or whatever. We got to bring back a whole just.
Speaker 3: Like the layers.
Speaker 5: The layers, ye know what I mean.
Speaker 2: It became very efficient with like the hoodie, you know, because they want to do like the hoodie mellow kind of esthetic for every team now to have their people. But I remember when it was the shooting jacket. Then there was the shooting shirt, like another thick piece of poly like.
Speaker 3: Nylon you were wearing underneath. Then your jersey.
Speaker 2: And I remember like the kids who had like a lot of money, like yo, he had the jacket.
Speaker 1: And the shooting shit.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: I remember at a North Carolina like UNC one that was like an in between like a button up shooting shirt slash jacket. Yeah, and I always thought that was like the height of my baller aesthetic.
Speaker 5: But yeah, like no, that is I remember I used to wear the Chicago Bulls shooting jacket over my uniform Catholic school, and that was it didn't go with it at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, our colors were green and gold.
Speaker 5: It's like there's a windbreaker. I could just wrap it off and then go to you know, theology class. Yeah, but I miss those days. There's like there's kids out there that need that.
Speaker 2: But let's not remember the reason for the season. And that is a rapid fire round of questions. So we are going to have to move on.
Speaker 3: CJ.
Speaker 2: You can go back in time and permit either Saint Nick Van Excellent or Eddie Jones just Nick with the Shack and.
Speaker 3: Kobe squads for those title runs. Who do you want in there?
Speaker 5: I mean, you gotta go Nick. The thing is, I love Eddie, but Nick is more complimentary to Jack and Kobe. Yeah you know, yeah, I mean Eddie did he had some decent years with the heat afterwards, right, Yeah. I think yeah, it's Nick is I mean, they're both forever Lakers. But yeah, yeah, and now I'm just imagine I'm just running through my head what that would have looked like. Things we probably would have lost with like Derek Fisher out there. Yeah, yeah, I'm cool. Okay like that, Thank Eddie.
Speaker 1: All Right, you have an l A background ranked these Los Angeles chains in and out, Fat Berger, Tommy.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna be honestly, Yeah, fat Burger in and out Thomas.
Speaker 3: Wow, everybody hits Tommy's last.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: It's the wrong locations that I've been to.
Speaker 3: No, I mean, it's just it's not great for.
Speaker 1: Has anyone ever Tommy Sober? Yes, that me all the time.
Speaker 2: Yes, when in junior high because I was there was a Tommy's up the street from my school. I would go there and just calorie load like I was trying to I'm about to be in the NFL combiners and then just.
Speaker 5: There's nothing special about it. But yeah, it gets the job, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, I guess that's what it is.
Speaker 1: And it was a chili burger though, right, Yeah, it's the chili.
Speaker 3: It's the chili. Yeah, the chill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you put fat burger over in?
Speaker 3: Now? What's your metric there?
Speaker 5: Slightly because it can go back like uh there, the I can't get a craving for Internet in and out to me is kind of like it tastes like at this point it tastes kind of like a pastry. It tastes like sweet to me, it tastes like, I don't know, it's like.
Speaker 1: Like a you want burger burger itself.
Speaker 5: The burger itself, like nothing else is to be talked about. I mean maybe the milkshake a little bit, but like the burger is small. It's not going to make me feel ill. No, it's like it's a nice little treat if I don't have too much fat burger is like I'm I'm eating because my wife is out of town. Yeah, like trying to like my couch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you want to not be able to look at yourself in the mirror.
Speaker 2: And I think as a Magic fan, you are obligated to pick fat burger over in and obviously yes.
Speaker 3: Why yeah, of course I don't know. Yeah I should get it. I should get a double double fat or no double king with eggs.
Speaker 5: And bacon and that what I'm saying, the egg is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you want to have a how weird.
Speaker 5: Is that work? On in and out?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 5: Like it's strange how that how that works?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, And I'm sorry, CJ. We really have to keep this thing going.
Speaker 2: I would like to talk to this y yeah, Jack, come on, man, your boy, come.
Speaker 3: Get your You know where I live, I know you know where you stay at. Now this is the final question and the most important CJ Jack, not Shock, Jack or Mile. So you know, split hairs.
Speaker 5: I need I need you guys both. I'm gonna I just can't pick. I'm sorry, guys, Shock.
Speaker 3: Okay, how do we alter this?
Speaker 5: Okay, that's comprovising skills.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's fine, that's fine.
Speaker 2: Okay, how about you honor us by saying that which which laker great are Jack and I?
Speaker 3: Respectively?
Speaker 5: Oh? I think you guys are Kobe and.
Speaker 3: I always wanted to? Yeah? Yeah, cool?
Speaker 2: And we knew that because you knew I wanted to because I like his soccer styles, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Okay, like that, I think we have a clear answer. Then yeah who he actually say Eldon?
Speaker 3: But uh no, I think Seddie. Yeah yeah, I'll pull my head up, my jersey over my head.
Speaker 2: But yeah, DJ told Donald. Thank you so much for joining us on Miles and Jack got man?
Speaker 3: Boost is man? Where can people find you and follow you? Support you? Listen to you all.
Speaker 5: That one of the great follow through. We're doing a huge push on hal follow through. I mean, you've seen it before if you know me, casuals show him putting out it's not serious basketball talk with comedians and whatnot. You like some of this conversation? Going to like what you see on there? But at follow through merch videos do some nice commercial work. You're a big business with millions of dollars. Please do do business with us, but we're out there.
Speaker 3: Send your ad dollars to follow through his way, please will please?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: And where can they find you? Jack?
Speaker 1: I'm at Jack Underscore, Obrian, as long as Twitter is not a paid thing, right becomes the paid thing. I'm no longer there. I'll be on threads. I guess at the underscore, Oh underscore, Brian were blue Ski Yeah with the with the boys.
Speaker 2: Exactly find me at Miles of Gray wherever they do at the at simple you know what I mean. Shout out to all your listeners out there, Please leave a review and subscribe. Do all that please, and you can follow the hashtag mad Boosty's hashtag that's a bit redundant for show links and updates.
Speaker 3: That's going to do it for us. We'll see you next time. As we inch just one more week closer to media day.
Speaker 1: Will slowly What is the media going to ask them?
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly what's your plan to win this season?
Speaker 2: The questions will be riveting and groundbreaking. All right, we'll see it soon.
Speaker 1: Bye bye,