Speaker 1: Now here's a highlight from Coast to Coast AM on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: As I mentioned, we've been hearing about AI and the emergence of AI for a lot of years now, but suddenly it's like a front burner issue. In Washington at the G seven event, the Builder Burgers are talking about it. It's being debated in the labs of Silicon Valley, and it's been coming a long time, but suddenly it's front burner and Brian Rummilly has been one of the people who's responsible for that. Brian, I can't believe this is the first time you've been on coast, but we're so glad to have you here.
Speaker 3: Well, George, what an honor, just a pleasure to be here and love this subject and I think we have so much to cover so were doing. It is definitely top of the top of the mind for people right now.
Speaker 2: I've seen tweets of yours. I love your Twitter feed. It covers so much ground on a whole bunch of different topics. But it seems like I remember seeing one that refers to you diving into AI issues in the late seventies.
Speaker 1: What were you were?
Speaker 2: Thirteen years old at the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was a young guy and actually found some early NASA open source everything. NASA theoretically was open source software called CLIPS, which was really an expert system, and I was able to get it to run on PCs and just fell in love with the concept of an early form of AI, and back then getting it to answer questions very rudimentary was quite interesting. Nowhere near what we're capable of doing today, but it allowed me to sort of ride that wave of different technologies that had come and some left, you know, some just more dead ends. And now we're in what are called large language models, which is a very interesting way that we got to this place in artificial intelligence.
Speaker 2: As I've shared with you privately, I'm kind of a techno knucklehead. I'm not very tech savvy, so I'm going to ask questions that are probably pretty basic for a guy with your knowledge of this. But I think our audience is probably where I am a lot of them anyway, and concerned about the scary headlines that we all see about AI. And you know, we've all seen the Terminator movies. We know what Skynet means, and so I wanted to get a sense from you where things are and where they're headed. And let's start with sort of the positive spin on this. Can you give me a sense of because you do have a positive view of AI and where it's going, you give me a sense of what changes are likely because of AI and its emergence, what it will mean for individuals.
Speaker 3: First of all, well, I'll take the furthest view to start with, and I call this the undiscovered territory or terra incognita in Latin. The AI that we have today is generating emergent capabilities that even the scientists that have been putting this together and building it in their labs and now releasing it are rather shocked about some of the capabilities. And we can talk about that. They call it AI hallucinations. But in a lot of ways, I call it AI creativity, not human creativity, but it's creativity in some form. Where it is at this point is sort of a contradiction of two different polar opposites. Most of AI that we're using right now is in the cloud. It's not on your device. It's called out on a big server. Your questions, which are called prompts, are sent to this large server. It runs on very large computers. There are specialty processors otherwise known as graphics processors that happen to do very well on the mathematics necessary to make these things happen by building models that spector math and by actually responding to these prompts. And then there is the local models, which are just recently have come out literally we're talking about the last two months this has taken place, and the local models are privately held on your computer, have a corpus of data which is sort of like a low resolution capability of the entire data set that all of these large language models were trained on. So we're basically saying most of human knowledge that was sort of slurped up from the Internet to build these models. How we were able to get it down to for gigabytes to a gigabytes of hard disk space and run locally is still a rather deep debate on how that was achieved, because we were told that it was going to be terabytes petabytes of data to be able to have the outputs that we're getting from local models. And my belief is local models empower individuals because they can develop a relationship with their local AI ultimately train it so that it can become familiar with that person's outlook, their goals, their missions, their beliefs, and maybe even guidance to some certain level as these become more like personal assistants and agents. And in my view, the more it knows about you, the more it has to be secured, encrypted, and never touching the Internet. And that's sort of anesthetical in the direction where most of the Internet has gone. It's all based on this idea of cloud, so we're kind of going in opposite directions. But the open source community, the very same community that built most of what the Internet is running on. In fact, almost all the major operating systems are built on a Linux slash Unix sort of basis that was open source, and the open source community is building this personal AI. And instead of having maybe one hundred people at a company, tens and thousands of people are taking these models and building them to such a level that almost daily we're seeing landmarks that are being set and milestones that are being broken through. So most of the AI that I'm very positive about is the AI that we will hold in our hands at some point, and that's rapidly approaching. It's going to break all models of advertising. It's going to break all models of how we would you know, exist with a device, because once you're training an AI model, this would be the most personal thing that you would never want to be separate from. You know, there's a lot of good with that. Of course, even that has some bad. But you know, this type of I call it intelligence amplification. I took AI and reversed it because ultimately, that's what I think we're seeing in these models is human intelligence amplified and reflected back to us in this grand mirror. So that's that's the two different types of AI that I see out there, And we can go down each path if you'd like.
Speaker 2: Sure, Well, I mean, for I, Okay, let's say I developed my own individual AI, and it's it's like my other brain that I can you know, it does stuff for me? What does it do? How does it help me in my daily life?
Speaker 3: So let's let's go from the theoretical. In the perfect world, So in the perfect world, you were born with a camera and microphone, as bizarre as it sounds, sort of on your shoulder, and it follows you for your entire life, and it records every book you've ever read, every movie you've ever seen, every song you've ever heard every conversation you've ever had again with permission and maybe a social contract to understand that there's not a recording device to play back, but a recording device to catalog your life, to database your life and every interaction, everything that you've ever experienced is in this device. So not only A is it memory. B it's the ability for you to interact with the context of your interactions. So it will start making connections between different books that you've read that you would have maybe have made on your own, but maybe you wouldn't and you would have a conversation with it. I'm a proponent of what I call a voice first or voice AI ultimately, because I believe that's the ultimate interface to have a conversation. Like we are, the human brain is designed to have conversation. In fact, for us to write something, we have to translate our inner monologue. All of us have a voice in our head. When we're reading a piece of paper, we're actually hearing a voice in our head, which may or may not be your own. We can get into that sort of research that's very interesting because we're going to start having to answer some of these questions about what is human language? Where did it really come from and what's AI doing with it? But basically it's following you your entire life. That's the theory, and that becomes your intelligence amplifier. Now the other side of this is your wisdom keeper. And what's that the sum total of all of your knowledge after you've passed on, Where does that go? Who do you give it to? And what value does it have? Is it you in an AI? Is it some kind of sentient life? I don't think so. But would be able to ask answer a question of what would George Knap say about this? Perhaps very much like Chad Gpt does about answering question of what maybe Albert Einstein would say about this new discovery in physics. It'll be pulling ideas and let's say, resonances of what your essence was and sort of drumming up a response. And this is sort of what Pierre Tiladar D. Shardan came up with the nurse sphere and the Omega point, and what Chardane basically predicted back in the early nineteen hundreds he was a Jesuit priest. He said that the geosphere, which represents inanimate matter, is a first sphere, the biosphere, which is the biology of the that we're living under right now and on Earth.
Speaker 1: And then the new.
Speaker 3: Sphere, which is a human thought, human wisdom, human knowledge connection. So if you were to pass and you left your wisdom keeper available to be connected to others, you now have a new sphere. You now have this ability to have the essence of different individuals connect. Now, obviously you don't want certain private bits of information out there, things that you might find embarrassing and that sort of things, and that can be not only edited out, it could be in a sense deleted, but the sum total of your knowledge may be retained. And it's a sort of modern library of Alexandria that may this time wouldn't get destroyed. So that's the big picture of it. What we can do now that we're in different phases of life, Well, you have a local AI that reads all of your emails, that everything that's on your hard drive, any context it can get from you and start forming ideas and opinions. Now, again, the idea is to hold this down in a blockchain very similar to bitcoin, make it encrypted, very difficult to get access to even if you have all of the passwords and things of that nature. So it is completely private and safe, but of course perhaps still hackable. Everything electronic is, but you're taking great measures and at that point you can have a dialogue with your context. The things that you've experienced and the insights that you get from that are quite phenomenal. It's sort of research I've been doing to that level for over a decade. And the intelligence amplification you get from this is something that I would want every human being who wants it to have it. I think it will give you armor to protect you from the world that we're in and entering in, and the ability to sort through the information overload that every person in the modern world is facing at this point. And it's just scheduled to go up logarithmically as AI starts generating so much content. The bad thought AI will get to generating so much content, so much noise, that you're going to need not only to train yourself to higher and higher levels of discernment, but you're going to need an intelligence amplifier just to be able to wave through the world. So that's where it's kind of going, and that's the premise of it.
Speaker 2: So much of what has happened in the last what seems like three or four months this explosion chat GPT. It's a novelty. People view it as a novelty. They're asking philosophical questions, try to stump stump AI or you know, occasionally get an answer that's useful, or playing games. You know, something that you had predicted a long time ago that people would use it to create music. Yeah, I've seen. I've heard some Beatles songs that are pretty interesting over the last couple of months that sound a heck of a lot like the Beatles singing songs that they'd never recorded. It's are you encouraged by that.
Speaker 1: Part of it?
Speaker 3: I am? I am really bifurcated by this whole scenario. I really believe that you have to have the ownership of yourself, and I think we have to have a mature conversation not just among politicians and legal scholars, but across basically everybody. Do you own you? Do you own your DNA? Do you own your intestinal flora? Do you own your likeness, your voice, the creative output of your mind. If somebody ever were to be able to read your mind, is that your property? Right? I think we really need to have that discussion much sooner than any of the discussions that are taking place about AI as Terrible and the Matrix and things like that. That's that's number one. If that is in fact a case where we do have ownership, because if you don't own you, somebody else does. As as simple as that. And I think whenever this is a public discussion, that should be the period at the end of the sentence that you know any negotiation is coming down to that. And I think we know where that leads to. So I think that debate can be settled very quickly. So now when it comes to create, it works. If an artist owns their likeness and the style of their music and they are being it's being held out that it's here is a song the Beatles didn't do. I think we really need to sort of give that ownership back to the artist and whoever is owning their works at that point, if they've passed, certainly their family here or something at that level, I think we're in wild West City right now. So that side, I think we really have to go down that road as a culture and as a society and have a mature conversation. But as far as the creativity, it is fascinating.
Speaker 1: Listen to more. Coast to Coast AM every weeknight at one am Eastern and go to Coast to coastam dot com for more