Speaker 1: On the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Like easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, and brought to you in part by Clearview Federal Credit Union. For every touchdown the Black and Gold Score. In twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life Mission. Visit CLEARVIEWFCU dot org. Easy Home Exteriors, fast, reliable and affordable Schneider Downs discover the value of big thinking with a personal focus. US steel Mine melted and made in the USA, your neighborhood, Forward Store and by the Steelers Pro Shop. Visitshop dot Steelers dot com.
Speaker 2: Good evening, Steeler Nation. How we doing well? That's good us too. It is the bonus hour of the drive. Here high atop Chucknolefield where Matt In the last five or six minutes since we've been on air, things whoa holy cow, massive lightning bolts across the way from us right now. Yeah, some really, I mean, it looks like it's nighttime. It looks like the sun's setting here.
Speaker 3: It's crazy. The cloud. You can see the starting to finish of it, like you can see the entire cloud. But it is gray and it is nasty. And it's angry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, far off to the right. Other than that, though, missus Lincoln, you're right, far off and far off to the right. You could still see where the nice weather was. But we are now completely covered by this huge, gray, ominous cloud that's moving pretty quickly and dropping a lot of water and bringing some lightning with it. So you know what, Matt, if it was a typical Friday night lights day today for the Steelers with practice was fifty five minutes away right now, he'd be in a lot of trouble. You've been lighting and everything. They'd be evacuating everyone from the premises. So hopefully this ends up being a blessing in disguise and you get some better weather twenty four hours from now.
Speaker 3: I'm hoping your weather app is right though. You said something along lines, so this should keep up for like forty five minutes. That was probably five minutes ago, that's what it says. And I'm thinking my car is a pretty decent walk and I'm just gonna get soaked through it, and maybe we'll miss it. You and I and I guess if it was tomorrow, maybe you just postpone practice for half an hour or whatever. That's a field, turf field from what I recall too, so they would just play on it. Fine, you know, Yep.
Speaker 2: It looks like some rain in the forecast tomorrow, but most of it in the morning, so hopefully all the smooth sailing there. Yeah, rain expected to stop in forty one minutes here, mate, perfect, We're on air for about fifty more minutes, hopefully, hopefully close. Hopefully that times out well for us. But I'm sure you folks might hear some some well I was gonna say, you might hear some lightning. I guess that's impossible. You might hear some thunder.
Speaker 3: We'll not here, lad, and as Matt and I will.
Speaker 2: See the lightning and the rain coming down here. And it's dark and it's ominous, but hopefully won't be lasting. Won't be lasting.
Speaker 3: You're right, there's a lot of clear skies and blue and white clouds around this, just giant. It's like the ship from the Empire flying over. That's exactly what it looks, Star destroyer or something, right, Lord Vader.
Speaker 2: It's gonna it's gonna be wet out there, because, oh Lord, I hope it. I hope it eases off a little bit. What it says, it's going to or else. Matt and I are going to be drenched, drenched driving out of here.
Speaker 3: This guy's anywhere it is the.
Speaker 2: It is these now it looks like the cloud is almost just hovered and.
Speaker 3: Isn't it's just kind of hanging here. The U tell this thing to keep moving, all right, Get get.
Speaker 2: Out of here, you son of a gun. Let's hit the tweets here, as we like to do to a lot on this hour. We have got a lot. This will probably end up taking a couple of segments here. We'll see how many of these we can get to me tweets us and says doctor West and Professor Matt, speaking of regional dialect living here in the Greater Detroit area the last few years, I've noticed one Midwesterner word that drives me bonkers is across. It's crossed or across, not both, not across I'm missing my name, or across, so kind of like combining cross and across.
Speaker 3: If that means okay, okay.
Speaker 2: Like oh, across to the street, or.
Speaker 3: He lives across the street.
Speaker 2: Yes, or I you know, to go across the town.
Speaker 3: Across with an ed on the end. You're talking about yeah.
Speaker 2: I listen. I don't want to give myself up here, but I might have a couple of times.
Speaker 3: Yeah too.
Speaker 2: But that's interesting.
Speaker 3: This is one of those conversations. If you think you might do it, you definitely do it.
Speaker 2: That's like, hey, if you don't know who that person is, guess what that means to you. Smooth Dave says, do I have a revolutionary idea? Drew Aller's arm is strong. Why not have him drop back one or two steps further in the pocket. It'd buy an extra half second from the pass rush for him to make reads while still having the arm strength to get the ball where it needs to go.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: Timing, though, brother time tim and.
Speaker 3: Timing, especially in this offense, which is based off Bill Walsh concepts way back when in the early eighties. Everything the route combinations are built off the footwar of the quarterback, whether they're in shotgun or under center. Usually under center Montana's third foot, you know, third step hits on a three step drop. Rice has to be coming out of his brakes the second the ball's done, and the timing is what makes it, especially Nose era, indefensible. You're not gonna scrap all that just because he's got a big arm, you know what I mean. And someone did a lot of work, mostly Walsh, in terms of marrying the routes, doing the math of it all. If you take this many steps as a receiver, it's pretty incredible really when you see it in action, like five step drop needs.
Speaker 2: To be poetry in motion.
Speaker 3: Man, two point six seconds or whatever, how long you have to be get open and the ball is going to be there when your head flips around.
Speaker 2: I'm very worried. This cloud isn't moving. No, No, it's just sitting there, but right above where where cars are parked.
Speaker 3: It's just stumping on us. Yeah. Good, a lot of lightning too.
Speaker 2: Pittsburgh conversation says, fast forward to November first. Okay, if you were to bet one hundred dollars on what the steel starting offensive line looks like from left to right in a dream world with no injuries, go okay, So fast forward to November first. Yeah, I think we.
Speaker 3: Know left got ten in the book.
Speaker 2: If you're assuming no injuries, we know left to center Foultanu McCormick.
Speaker 3: Fraser, Anderson, Max.
Speaker 2: I think so. I still think it's gonna be I think Anderson's a good, but I think and is rather underrated. Yeah, and I even think you would probably see Brack Kaufman before you see Jennings Dunker.
Speaker 3: I just yeah, I know that that's I think that's where they're going with this is you know, can Dunker be there?
Speaker 2: Can Dunker be that guy? And I think people are wondering if Max can be that guy too? Sure as we now have a medicine ball that's rolled out onto the field here in the middle of this storm.
Speaker 3: I would be shocked if Max isn't starting by November first.
Speaker 2: I'm starting to think I'd be shocked if he's not starting by October first.
Speaker 3: One.
Speaker 2: But but but absolutely post bye week or I guess that would be right around when the Steelers would have their Bible because they come back that first week and play the Browns and then it's so that'd be like a week before the bye I think if my timeline has been lining up correctly, I just think it's so easy, Matt, because we've just seen a similar example with Mason McCormick. You know, Dunker was a third round pick. McCormick was a fourth round pick. So these times weren't first rounders or top fifty guys, but they weren't right. They even you know, a Zach Frasier range like in the top fifty. I think to start to yes, I think we're gonna see what the Steelers thought would happen with Mason McCormick, because remember, until the injuries, until you lost three guys on that offensive line.
Speaker 3: Oh, he was a next year probably.
Speaker 2: Mason McCormick was a next year project. And I think that is the onus for Dunker. But the difference being the Steelers have the depth now to withstand a couple injuries where they didn't and to wait it out. Because even even if even if you had.
Speaker 3: An Iowa too that's a great point as.
Speaker 2: Well, even if you had an injury Matt, you'd have brock Hoffman hop and you know he'd be the next guy hopping off the bench. And so I think that's right. I think Anderson and and mad Max on the right side. I think Anderson's gonna surprise some people this year, though I think a lot of people are writing him off. He's a good player.
Speaker 3: I've said it a million times. I would love to extend Anderson and Cook because I think they're high quality offensive linemen, whether they're your worst starter or your best reserve, and there's value in that. Spencer is very versatile, very coach friendly, very intelligent, hard working from what I understand. Remember he was sixth or seventh round pick, seventh round pick that really kept getting better, better better. I think guys like that are hard to get out of the line up. I mean, you're gonna trust him, and he's played a fair amount of football too.
Speaker 2: He sure has a he's a draft pick too, seventh rounder, but he's a draft pick as well. And I just I understand there's been a lot of there's been a lot of capital used on that offensive line, sure, and a lot of high pedigree talent, and I get it. But I do think, and I'm probably guilty of this at times too, that we're not giving Spencer Anderson the credit that he.
Speaker 3: Deserves now real quick. On dunk, there hasn't been a lot of buzz particularly positive. I haven't heard anything negative either, But he's he's not shooting up the depth chart. He's not the talk of the town anything of that nature. But I do think game situations are more his alley than this, you know, especially the way that these guys are practicing, so maybe watch two preason games ago. Oh, I was really happy with Jenny's sure, right right.
Speaker 2: I think that very well could be the case. But there's just there's a real pecking order in front of him currently.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's tough one to overcome.
Speaker 2: I mean he might be their fourth guard right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd be shocked if Broderick moves into guard or Cook plays any guard. But that's still slightly slightly on the table.
Speaker 2: And he says two things we can always count on when listening to training camp coverage, hearing about epic storms and having a sudden craving for wings.
Speaker 3: Ah, yep, there are some.
Speaker 2: Good wings and there's some volatile weather and some very good wings in this in this region.
Speaker 3: She's very perceptive.
Speaker 2: I've wondered why that is, Like I think other than the.
Speaker 3: Other asked about that, like why are why do people love wings? In this next week?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think we'll it's back to There was like beef between Sharkis and Dinos back in the day they used I think Dino's was the first one, and the two guys that ran it one they kind of had a disagreement and one started Sharkis.
Speaker 3: But why wings they have similar or the.
Speaker 2: Sweet and heat, the sweet heat, the you know, the sweet sweet and heat sweet heat wings I think are kind of the signatures for both places.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, I always get Buffalo. I'm boring.
Speaker 2: You are a Buffalo guy. I I typically usually get Buffalo too. I do like the sweet heat out here. But it's weird because speaking of Buffalo, the only other place that I know in this country that's specifically is associated with chicken wings is La Trope. And but like Buffalo is obviously the but the only other place where it's like, oh, you're going there, you gotta get there. They're known for their wings. It's so good it's here.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's just those two places and the overlap of the ownership. I don't know. We'll have to dig into that one. And I don't dig into that.
Speaker 2: Matt says, Hey, guys, I've heard the running game is struggling a little bit. Do you think that's something Attic? Is it just that the Steelers defensive line has been that good? Anyways? What kind of food do you like that most people would think is gross?
Speaker 3: I don't. I wouldn't say that. I would jump on the table and agree that the running game is struggled. I think it's a tough eval if you're not tackling.
Speaker 2: The physicality element in that run game has been tough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's not a lot to go off of. But I do think a lot of the team drills where they're running basically full speed but not tackling. I see a lot of tackles for loss and Queen coming downhill and Harmon being tough to move, and I kind of attributed it more towards a good front seven than the other way around. I also think running games are a slow burn, especially when you're installing a new system. Keep it up, keep it up, and you make real small incremental process. And we got one percent better on the ground today. Yeah, okay, do that ten days in a row. You know. I think that you talk to O lineman that that doesn't come.
Speaker 2: Over, No, especially when it's a offensive line that has a lot of moving parts. Because what Zach Frasier is the only one currently who's starting in the same position that he started in last year.
Speaker 3: And I'm sure the running game is different this year. I mean no doubt, not definitely the way they call it, but I'm sure the way they block it I mean and all those things too.
Speaker 2: What food do you like that? Most people would just thinking about that, Like sushi is always what I come up with with that, But I think a lot of people both LOVESHI. A lot of people dislike sushi because they don't do the raw fish. But I think a lot of people obviously.
Speaker 3: They did ten years ago or twenty years ago, and now people look at sushi like it's really really good.
Speaker 2: Mine would probably like, I don't know, like I love like tie in Indian food, like spicy curries and things like that Tika massalas h.
Speaker 3: I don't know, though, I can't come up with something that. I mean, I hate a lot of things. Cold that's good.
Speaker 2: That's a good one. I don't have those.
Speaker 3: Burgers on the grill next day eat the cold. Yeah, like I'd never put an on microwave.
Speaker 2: That's I guess for most stuff. I would be with you on that. I think some stuff is actually even better cold the next day, Like certain like pastas and rice dishes so good the next day when you give the sauce time to kind of sit in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I could coagulates, but.
Speaker 2: I'm not typically for these like That's what I think is different ethnic cuisine that certain people just whether it's because it's raw fish or it's something really spicy that they don't vibe with. But I'm not the type of person who's like, oh, I love to put peanut butter with my you know, hot dride, Like I don't have any weird quirks.
Speaker 3: Like like I put mayof Yes, I don't know one of those things.
Speaker 2: I don't think I do anything goofy like that.
Speaker 3: No, I'm trying to think, is there something weird I do? Probably but not obscenely crazy.
Speaker 2: Ian says, let's do one more here before we go.
Speaker 3: To brain, and I'll try new things. If people are like, say, this crocodile is something you need to try, or this chocolate covered fly is something, or cockroach is something you try it, But.
Speaker 2: It's not that I'm doing. I'm not eating it all the time. Ian says, nothing like a Friday Evening SNR show from training camp. It's been all quiet on the Joey portage in your contract situation. If you guys heard anything from any of your good insider friends, thanks and let me know how the wings are at Dino's. Still better than sharkis, I will say, Sharky's is our spot. Sharky's is our home turf. Yep. Sharky's menu top to bottom I think is better than Dino's. But the wings at Dino's are tough to be They are really good, so good, and Sharkis are very good too, But Dino's wings are top notch.
Speaker 3: And I've told this often, but I rarely. I don't ever get bone in wings when I'm on the air. It's just sloppy mess.
Speaker 2: I mean, you can he does the boneless when he's on.
Speaker 3: Air, and when you're on and you can between segments, you can hit him pretty hard, dip in the in the blue cheese, boom boom boom heat eight to ten of them between.
Speaker 2: Five minute commercial break, and you don't have to.
Speaker 3: Like clean your hands in your face, and you don't look like wolf, you know. So I spend much more time at Sharky's. So I really only have the Boneless at Dino's because You're always on air and I'm always on air, so I might not be given them in enough credit.
Speaker 2: I it's funny. We actually were laughing about that the other day. You and I last week had an evening show with our buddy Jerry Dulac at Dino's and you got a bunch of boneless wings, and I was like, Matt, I'm normally with you on that in terms of being on air.
Speaker 3: I was like, I gotta get bone in here. They're just too good, too good. I have one more Dino show. I think I'll make sure I do that.
Speaker 2: Even Doulac had to get himself some bone in wings, and he's typically like the juxtaposition at some of these evening shows of what we all eat is hilarious. Oh yeah, because you have the Tien Benzes and the Jerry Doulax of the world who get like a salad and steamed fish.
Speaker 3: And then you have you have Bens makes me crazy.
Speaker 2: Then you have Matt and myself who were like, yeah, can we get three dozen wings and some blue cheese? And of course wolf Wolf would get two dozen wings, two racks of ribs, and five slices of cheesecake.
Speaker 3: I didn't tell you this, but last night as Sharky's, I was sitting down getting ready to order and they didn't. I mean, I could have ordered on top of it, but they just brought stuff out, which is a Sharky's move, which they like to take care of us, which is awesome at like ten pm. Like I wasn't complaining, And don't get me wrong, but I'm like, I'm not going to order something on top of this, even though I was looking at the blue cheeseburger and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're burgers of Sharkis are very good.
Speaker 3: I haven't had one.
Speaker 2: Have you ever had the grilled cheese cheeseburger? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Dan Sky was talking about that. He's like, I did that a couple of years ago and it was really really good, but it didn't exit as well as well as it entered. Oh yeah, washed because they brought out the fat guy, uh the lights and he had never heard of one. He's like, oh, but I did the grilled cheese burgers. Yes, I'm like, this is taking it up. That was the talk of the town three years ago. Light right, right, right.
Speaker 2: So the grilled cheese cheeseburger is quite simply a cheeseburger in between two grilled cheeses, us four piece of bread, four pieces of two grilled cheeses, four pieces of bread, with a burger in between.
Speaker 3: It's a big burger works.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's outstanding. That used to be the thing, you know, myself and and our buddy formerly of our team, Adam Crowley. That was a tradition we had a couple of years at camp is the last night at Sharky's. We would always get the grilled cheese cheeseburger. That was like the tradition.
Speaker 3: Guy had bites of them, but I never ordered one.
Speaker 2: But now it's the Fat Guy Delight, which is the the sandwich on their menu that was created by our guy, Craig Wolfley, which is a cheese steak with French fries on it, wrapped in a pizza.
Speaker 3: Wrapping like a plain pizza.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is a bomb, but it is so good. Also, still quiet on the JPJ contract. I was trying to funny enough last night at Sharky's. Are good insider friends. I was getting in all their ears. I was like, what's going on with Joey Porter.
Speaker 3: Junior, what's going on about that time right?
Speaker 2: And they were like, not not much movement. They think it's kind of what you and I were talking about at the beginning of the show. They think him and Gonzales and Witherspoon are all kind of just waiting each other out and seeing who blinks first at this point, so obviously something will keep an eye on but Ian. It's all quiet on the on the J PJ front as of now.
Speaker 3: I would think Porter's contract will be the lightest of those three. I think he'll get more than DJ Turner, who's a really good player. Yes, I think he'll get Lessonansal this lesson Witherspoon, who's very different of the three. He's not he's a slot tough guy. You know.
Speaker 2: Let's get to a break here, Matt. The Steelers have added a tight end off of Waivers.
Speaker 3: The depth of tight end is worried me a little bit.
Speaker 2: It's something we talked about yesterday. We'll discuss who the Steelers have added here in the last few minutes. Will also continue to hit some of your tweets as we roll along here in the five o'clock hour. You know where to get at us if you want to get involved. In the last twenty minutes since we started this segment, there's now puddles out on the field. I mean, that's how hard it's coming down right now for two days two there's all the sidelines and the end zones. I mean there are there is puddling all in front of us right now. In this last kind of twenty minutes of really pouring down rain. Although good news. So when I look to the left, the skies are starting to clear up a little bit. So hopefully in another half an hour or so when we're getting out of here, it won't be won't be too dicey for Matt and I walking back to our cars. More of your tweets. More on the Steelers clearly turning over some stones here at the tight end position. You know where to get at us if you want to get involved. Euler Williamson. It's the drive all part of our ongoing training camp coverage. Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: Your home for the Steelers. This is the Pittsburgh Steelers Audio Network twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light. Easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by your neighborhood Ford Store creator, Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, First National Bank. Let's Get Started Member FDIC West Shore Home Remodeling Reimagine by Leecom Digital. Donze Appliances Visit Donzappliances dot Com. Guaranteed lowest prices, free next day delivery CGR Wholesale and by Hoss's Steak and Seahouse hass is Is Hospitality.
Speaker 2: So just before we went to break, we told you the Steelers making some moves with the tight end position. Matt A thank you to one of our loyal listeners and tweeters, Michael Edesso, for pointing this out to my attention. Just a few minutes ago. These Steelers claimed tight end Lance Mason off of waivers. Mason, an undrafted rookie out of Wisconsin this past season, was with the Seattle Seahawks, but was waived by the Seahawks. Yesterday, Steelers awarded him off of waivers. Lance Mason, another tight end to put into this conversation of needing someone to emerge behind obviously the two proven commodities of Pat Fryermuth and Darnel Washing.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think we touched on this sum and I actually did a majority of a podcast the other day about it. Where the final safety spot in the final tight end spot on the fifty three? Yeah, I think you got to keep churning those waters a little bit. That doesn't mean the answer is not here, but I at least want to create competition. I want to keep seeing what I can pluck off the waiver wire or trade or free agents or whatever. I know nothing about this player, but I will say and again, he may be terrible, he might be great. I don't know. It was such a deep tight end draft that undrafted rookie probably was a.
Speaker 2: Six or seven. Maybe he's a six round pick.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, there's just so many this year that it makes me feel a little better about it.
Speaker 2: He played the majority of his career at Missouri State before transferring to Wisconsin. For his last year. He caught thirty passes for almost four hundred yards, three hundred and ninety eight yards and four touchdowns, So basically thirty passes, four hundred yards, four touchdowns. Last year at Wisconsin, Matt he is six foot three, two hundred and forty three pounds thirty one and three eighths inch arms ran a four, which just says he wait, I'm sorry, six three two forty three.
Speaker 3: Oh okay. So he's a lighter move guy. Probably he's not. Probably he's not. He's closer to Firemooth than.
Speaker 2: Darknas Well, to be fair, not many close to Darnell, But I get what you're saying. Ran a four seven two forty yard dash, thirty two and a half inch vertical, put up twenty two reps on the bench press. He's from Rockwell, Texas and is now on his way to Pittsburgh. But you're right, listen, You're never gonna look at a roster in the salary cap era and say, oh, we have no weaknesses, We've got depth, We're set everywhere. But right now, safety and tight end are the two spots that stand out for the Steelers. Of you'd like.
Speaker 3: Someone comes available, you might want to kick the time.
Speaker 2: You'd like another dependable body in those positions.
Speaker 3: And again, in case you missed it, shame on you for six weeks. But just envision a world where you're without Friar Muth or Washington for a stretch. I don't like that world.
Speaker 2: I do not like that world.
Speaker 3: No one bit back they Hotel. I'm gonna pull this name up from the Beast. I'm sure Dane has a blurb or two on him.
Speaker 2: I'm sure I'm sure he does. I believe it. That's actually a good idea for you there. I might have to do that same thing. We got some tweets about our Hall of Fame conversation that we had yesterday, Troy says, you guys were talking about the Hall of Fame, how there's so many Steelers and in there, and sometimes you know that can lead to fatigue and guys being told no. Do you think that's the case with LC and with hinz Ward. I think maybe it was for l C for a period of time.
Speaker 3: I definitely gonna say through the eighties and nineties people got sick of putting the super Steelers in. Now, that was an unprecedented amount of Hall of Fame talent on one squad. I don't know that it's still true. I don't think you still look at it. Since the Hall of Fame's been built, you guys have more than your quota. I don't think the Steelers are putting in Hall of Famers at a ridiculous rate the last ten years or so. I probably heard Els back in the day. I just don't think that he's a slammed on Hall of Famer. Yeah, I mean not giving him a hard time. I would have loved to see him get in the Veterans Committee situation this year, but I thought Craig was more deserving. So, if you're honest with yourself, I don't think he's been the best candidate yet. Who's the other name Heines. I don't think he's worthy either. I know that that makes people mad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like we get tweets about that all the time. Like Joe tweeted us and said, I'm gonna fight you guys on Hines. He had comparable numbers to other wide receivers who were in to Super Bowl, super Bowl MVP, longevity had a rule change because of his tenacity.
Speaker 3: I agree with all those things. I know those are all undeniable.
Speaker 2: Those are facts, those are absolute facts. That's just man, that's such a hard position to get in when when the way that the numbers are like they are now. And I agree with you, Joe, there's a lot of wide receivers in there that Hines has comparable numbers too. But he's got the Super Bowl MVP, and he's got a lot of the other stuff.
Speaker 3: And the blocking can't be forgotten. I mean, he's an impact player on the field that nobody wanted to play against.
Speaker 2: And I will say this, of all those guys that we kind of say are toss ups, right, yeah, I do think Hines has one of the better cases of those.
Speaker 3: No doubt of those guys like he's a better case than Elsie.
Speaker 2: You think so, yeah, yeah, yeah. Michael says loved here, and you guys tell stories about Dale and him getting honored on those World Pony World series uniforms yesterday warmed the cockles of my black and gold heart. Also, when Ben makes the Hall of Fame, you guys got to come visit me in Canton. We have a Culver's.
Speaker 3: Awesome.
Speaker 2: If you want Matt and I to go somewhere, having a cavers is a.
Speaker 3: It's a good it's alluring, it's a good start. I'm sure we'd make a stop there. That's a good start, I would think. I mean, there's a very good chance that we've talked about this lot. But I'll be shocked if Ben's on a first ballot Hall of Famer, And if he isn't, it's going to be the second year because he's not quiring to a first ballot. He's not to Peyton Kickley didn't get in last year, Gates didn't get in the first year two years ago as the first ballot Hall of Famer. I still think Ben has a better case in both those guys, and I'll be angry if he doesn't get into year one. If not, it'll be your two the year he gets in. I would say there's a really strong chance the Steelers are in that game.
Speaker 2: Yes, I would. I would almost be shocked, really strong chance.
Speaker 3: Now imagine if fans will travel.
Speaker 2: Imagine if it's next year and Gronk and Ben both get in first ballot, and then you could have Patriots Steelers preseason.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, right, right right, that would be That would probably be how it goes, Matt.
Speaker 2: I would honestly be surprised if in the next year or two the Steelers aren't playing in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's kind of my point is, I would expect one of the next two Hall of Fame games will have the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Speaker 2: In, which would mean training camp would start a week earlier out here in.
Speaker 3: Literally did they have to do that? I know you can. Good question, because you can also start earlier with a new coach. And I think the Steelers declined they did, you know.
Speaker 2: Now, that's a good point. It's a very good I mean, I'm.
Speaker 3: Sure they would start earlier no matter what, because you have a game earlier. But I don't know, there'd be a whole week.
Speaker 2: Maybe they just wrap up earlier in the portion out here too.
Speaker 3: The last guy that went in. I think Fanica is the most recent to win in Dale. And I did the drive up there.
Speaker 2: Yes, I remember you telling me about that, So that's possible. Andrew tweets and you know what, you.
Speaker 3: Would be there for game day? Yes, no matter what, Yes.
Speaker 2: Be part of that broadcast crew, babe. What should be prett cool? It's a cool setting for a game.
Speaker 3: There, it is. They did a lot of renovations. I forgot watching stadium on TV left. Yeah, it looks pretty. A lot of money into it.
Speaker 2: And yeah, Andrew tweets us, And you know what, Matt, you just said it earlier. But shame on me for six weeks for not bringing up this earlier. Andrew says, I need Wes's thoughts as a college football junkie and Matt's thoughts as a former employee on this Akron decision to allow a season ticket holder to help design their first offensive script first series against Roberts. Did you hear about this? So? Akron had a promotion where if you were a season ticket holder, they're going to do a raffle, Right, They're going to have a contest and one season ticket lucky season ticket winner is going to be chosen and they are going to be part of the offensive play calling for the first series. They will they will be included in the pregame press conference, they will be miked up with a headset and a play sheet, and they will sit in the offensive coordinators coaches box during the game.
Speaker 3: That's nuts.
Speaker 2: They sold out their season tickets because of this, I'm sure as you.
Speaker 3: Can imagine, Well that part I get.
Speaker 2: My thought is a college football junkie is I'd be kind of upset. If I was Robert Morris, I'd be like, Oh, you think we're just guys.
Speaker 3: I know what I was thinking.
Speaker 2: You're going to roll in there and you guys can have watch. We're gonna pick six this first thing. I also think, though Matt college sports are supposed to be fun and that is pretty cool. And I'm not surprised that they sold out their season ticket allotment now because for I think it was seventy five dollars someone said was their cheapest season ticket. Hey for seventy five bucks. If I've got a chance to uh to be an offensive coordinator for Akron for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right right?
Speaker 2: How cool.
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 3: Okay? I like the idea. I kind of wish I came up with it when I was director of Ops to sell tickets. I mean, people weren't lining up though to go to the Rubber Bowl at that point. Interestingly enough, I just wanted to bring it up because I want to make sure I haven't kept in touched these guys as much as I should have. But a lot of the guys on staff now have come and gone, But were the guys I was there with. Surprisingly, Yeah, like Joe Morehead right right, Like JD brookard Is who hired me. He was Pitt's wide receiver coach with like Antonio Bryant and Larry and got the head job at Akron and took me with me as his director of football Ops. And Joe Moorehead was our offensive coordinator at the time. Now Joe Morehead is the head coach and JD's the offensive coordinator. All these pit ties and reno feree Terry Richardson, these are a couple of guys that have had some connections as well. So rooting the best for him, it is a slap of the face to Robert mood was.
Speaker 2: Immediately if you're Robert Morris. There's all the there's all the bulletin board material that you need to get your boys fired up for that week one trip.
Speaker 3: What would we say if the Falcons were doing that right now? All right, we're having a hard time selling tickets. Who wants to uh yeah, here.
Speaker 2: Comes here comes a TJ. And I know that games that actress eleven Man blitz. Here here comes a TJ. Watch strips at uh Steelers. Our buddy that we met at Sharkey's the other night, says looked into this. Lamar's two MVP eight seasons both came in year one of a new system with a new out offensive coordinator.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Outside of those two seasons, he's seventeenth in quarterback EPA. He also has much more success against NFC teams who don't see him as much. Considering all these factors, is he's starting to become easier to figure out than some may think.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean, I think the novelty of I've never seen anyone like this guy is gone. And the Steelers have always been ahead of the curve on that, not as much lately, but especially early in his career, they were by far the best defense in the league. Against I mean, I think familiarity it had a lot to do with it, as well as good defensive players. Yes, I don't think he's a lesser player, but I definitely think there's more books on him. I mean, doesn't have to curveball quite as well as you know, you find the weaknesses on these guys a little bit. And I also think injuries had a lot to.
Speaker 2: Do with it. That's like, that's life and the newtational football.
Speaker 3: But he also has a new coordinator this year, and he won the MVP the two times we got a network.
Speaker 2: Oh no, maybe that's why the oddsmakers in Vegas loved the Ravens the Wild Division so much. We've got one or two more tweets to hit on here, some final teas to cross, and eyes to dot from the day's proceedings. We'll do all that and more when we return to wrap up the show. Wes Shuler, Matt Williamson. The rain coming down here once again on a soaked Saint Vincent Campus high atop Chuck Nolefield. It is the drive, of course, all part of our training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: Steelers Football happens here the Pittsburgh Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 3: This is live coverry Jump dot.
Speaker 1: Twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp on the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by Always Safe Flagging and Traffic Control making traffic Safe again called four one two three one three hundred or visit us online at awsafe dot net for a quote today by FedEx the new power move Independence health System Expert Care here, Remax Select Realty lisit Remax Select Pittsburgh dot com. The Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania visit go Laurel Highlands dot com, the Steelers Pro Shop visitshop dot Steelers dot com and buy Coniente Pizza and draft House.
Speaker 2: Final segment here of the Drive. Final segment of our Steelers Nation radio coverage on this Friday. But we will have another full day for you of course tomorrow, all leading up to Saturday night Lights. The first Saturday night Lights here similar uh, similar concept.
Speaker 3: But just on a different day.
Speaker 2: Differ Ye Saturday night Lights there.
Speaker 3: All days running to run the same to me anyways, what the week is?
Speaker 2: Ain't that the truth? I will say? Though, as like there is a puddle of water in the middle of these fields that is literally running like a stream. Right now, how much water in the last h in the last hour or so here, Saturday Night Lights.
Speaker 3: Some of these corners can ye get pretty deep too down there to the right.
Speaker 2: This is like one of those like if you were like a middle school or high school football team out on this field and you've just finished practice, you'd be doing the whole like sliding through the water and yucking it up out here. Uh, Saturday Night Lights doesn't though. The only the only thing is it just doesn't quite roll off the tongue like fris That's.
Speaker 3: A thing, of course, but it's a high school stadium. They play on.
Speaker 2: Fut right, ye, Matt, before we We've got two more tweets that I want to hit before we get out of here. But at first the extensions start coming and they don't stop coming. An extension four Titans guard Peter Scron he just talked about yesterday now the top paid guard in the National Football League, as Turn Davenport. Funny, you're usually the one who says this, I used to work with him and such and such. I used to work with Turan Davenport at WIP, the radio station in Philadelphia.
Speaker 3: He's he reported it.
Speaker 2: He's the Titans guy for he's the Titans reporter for ESPN. Now, oh okay, so he you know, ten years ago covered the Eagles in Philly. He is now the Titans reporter for ESPN. Toront's a really good dude, and he just reported twelve minutes ago here. The Tennessee Titans have signed left guard Peter Skronsky to a four year, one hundred million dollar extension, eighty eight million of which is guaranteed.
Speaker 3: WHOA.
Speaker 2: This deal makes Skronsky the highest paid guard in the NFL.
Speaker 3: By no means, just like I told you so. But I've mentioned him on the air a lot as one of the best players in the league that doesn't get the credit. Talks about it, and I've got some tweets saying he's fine, you're talking. Yeah, No, he's a big time young dude. That's one of the best guards in the league already. Was a phenomenal tackle at Northwestern and got kicked inside in a Zach Martin like way just because he has shorter arms and is blowing it up. He's just on the worst O line in the league probably and one of the worst teams in the league, and nobody knows it.
Speaker 2: You sign one hundred millillion dollar contract as an offensive lineman. I think you're pretty good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the league just backed up what we were saying about his abilities.
Speaker 2: Matt two more tweets to get to before we get out of here. Ed asks which Steeler needs to which Steeler or Steelers need to start impressing more out out at campus. It's a good one.
Speaker 3: I'm not worried. He moves fine. He just hasn't had like a signature moment or boy he you know, just ripping the defense apart today.
Speaker 2: You know, Pittman's a good one. I think really a lot of the wide receivers not named DK Metcalf in that.
Speaker 3: Regard, I would like to see a smidge Moore.
Speaker 2: I'd like to see a Smidgemore Bernard some of the again, some of the running backs and things like that.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to avoid that because.
Speaker 2: They're not live tackle like I would. Caleb Johnson feels like that would be a pretty pretty good answer.
Speaker 3: I like the way he's scooting around. I think he moves pretty well.
Speaker 2: Heck, I might even say people like Patrick Queen and Peyton Wilson in this exercise.
Speaker 3: And again also probably fair.
Speaker 2: And I won't go into a in to any specifics, Matt, because it was a closed practice today, but I did think. All I'll say is, I think Peyton Wilson had a good day today. But that's the first time I've kind of come away saying that about But again, it's so hard to evaluate anyone really other than wide receivers and defensive backs.
Speaker 3: Yesality element, I mean the O line stuff and D line stuff. Yes, we got some one on ones that I'm kind of excited about. You know, that's my favorite part of practice, but they're not super long lived and you might get five reps. So if it most maybe Dunker Dunkers.
Speaker 2: We talked about him earlier, but again it's a tough ask when it is when you're kind of toning down the physicality. How about Will Howard too?
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, do more. He's made some throws and he looks comfortable, but you know, blow me away in seven on seven with no pass.
Speaker 2: Rod exactly right, exactly right. Those are the ones that kind of stand out. And again, like I would think, like a Broderick Jones.
Speaker 3: I was thinking about him too by a game of pass, just because of the weight and the neck and things like that. But if he's getting blown way in preseason, I'm gonna be a little word. I think we've all get blown away here.
Speaker 2: But you know, Matt, we always put way too much stock into the preseason games, particularly the first one. But I think in lieu of live in lieu of live tackling and a lot of the physical elements of training camp that we're used to a choice. I think that overreaction machine six days from now is going to be even ramped up whenever the Steelers play the Packers.
Speaker 3: Yes, and especially for our purposes, but also true for the coaching staff compared to the previous coaching staff. That's gonna be the midterm, you know what I mean. Yeah, you got your homework in, you did okay, but you know, boy, you failed the midterm though. You know, like, I don't know if I can give that guy. Oh, there's the rainbow.
Speaker 2: There it is.
Speaker 3: Look at that.
Speaker 2: Pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Just finally were walking off the air. That's awesome.
Speaker 2: We'll be heading to the pot of gold back at our car one minute here, Matt, before we go, John says today is International Beer Day. I need to know your guys' top three favorite beers. I'm not international beer. There's a there's an international everything day. Now, when's International mac and Cheese Day.
Speaker 3: I usually just have high lives at the bar, you know that. But I'm not real picky. I'm not in the micro bruise and my's and stuff everyone loves.
Speaker 2: My top two are very easily or easily Guinness. My top two are Guinness and le bat.
Speaker 3: You had a good conversation of where you can get good Guinness in Pittsburgh. Hit you up.
Speaker 2: I was talking to Irish Creg one of the Steelers employees that we love, who's from Dublin, Guinness Labat. And then my third would be this German beer called Weinstefan, which is just absolutely fantastic. Happy International Beer Day. That's convenient that that falls on Friday, domestic tonight. That'll do it for Matt and I. Thanks to our guy Brian for producing back at the Ranch and we will be back with you tomorrow, a full nine hour day here again to lead up under the rainbow, under the rainbow, somewhere under the rainbow. No, that's under the sea. I'm confusing my words. Just get out of here on this Friday evening. You'll take care. Everybody, have a good one. We will talk over tomorrow Over the Rainbow.
Speaker 3: That's Kermit song. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network, we bleed.
Speaker 1: Black and gold. This is the Pittsburgh Steelers Audio Network.