Speaker 1: Welcome to Tech Stuff, a production from iHeartRadio. Today, we are witnessed to one of those rare moments in history, the rise of an innovative technology with the potential to radically transform business in society forever. That technology, of course, is artificial intelligence, and it's the central focus for this new season of Smart Talks with IBM. Join hosts from your favorite Pushkin podcasts as they talk with industry experts and leaders to explore how businesses can integrate AI into their workflows and help drive real change in this new era of AI, and of course, host Malcolm Gladwell will be there to guide you through the season and throw in his two cents as well. Look out for new episodes of Smart Talks with IBM every other week on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts, and learn more at IBM dot com slash smart Talks.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hello, Welcome to Smart Talks with IBM, a podcast from Pushkin Industries, iHeartRadio and IBM. I'm Malcolm Glabo. This season, we're continuing our conversation with new creators visionaries who are creatively applying technology in business to drive change, but with a focus on the transformative power of artificial intelligence and what it means to leverage AI as a game changing multiplier for your business. Our guest today is Kareem Yousef, Senior Vice President of Product Management and Growth for IBM Software. Kareem's focus at IBM is on product strategy, thinking about the roadmap for IBM Software products and how they can deliver effective and compelling customer experiences with the current boom and generative AI. Kareem's job is to help businesses figure out how they can apply artificial intelligence at scale to help solve big problems and boost productivity at new orders of magnitude. In today's episode, you'll hear Kareem explain how AI powered by foundation models can make AI adoption by enterprise businesses even easier, how generative AI will change the way businesses process data and make decisions, and how these considerations influence the design of Watson x, IBM's next generation AI and data platform. Kareem spoke with Jacob Goldstein, host of the Pushkin podcast What's Your Problem. A veteran business journalist, Jacob has reported for The Wall Street Journal, the Miami Herald, and was a longtime host of the NPR program Planet Money. Okay, let's get to the interview.
Speaker 3: I'm Jacob Goldstein. I'm one of the hosts at Pushkin and a correspondent on this show, and I'm delighted to have you here. Can you introduce yourself?
Speaker 4: Ah? Hi, I'm Kareem Yusuf. I'm this and your vice president of Product management and Growth for IBM Software. You can think of me as the chief product officer for IBM Software.
Speaker 3: Okay, sounds like a big job. We're here today to talk about AI. We've heard really an extraordinary amount in the last few months about chat GPT and you know, particularly in how it's used in the very kind of consumer facing way. But I'm curious what is the rise of chat GPT and you know, AI more generally, what does it mean for business?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, it's if you kind of step back and think about what really happens. You know, in a business, you're really talking about a set of processes, right, you know, activities that represent what a business needs to get done, whether it's product they produce and then sell or service that they provide. And inherent to operating the business, I would say are two very key factors. Data and then the decisions you make around data and then actually lastly the processes or activities you do in accordance with that decision. So if you then think about AI as applied to business right in that context, well, the first place it often starts is how do you make sense of a lot of the data associated with driving the business? And so AI has always been, in my mind at its foremost about gaining insights then lead in to supporting decisions, and ultimately ending at helping to automate the activities that then are executed as a result of those decisions. So that's kind of my simple way of thinking of AI, and we can obviously coloring with examples, but that's my simplest way of thinking about AI. When you think about in the business context, gain insights from masses of data to support decisions and then drive.
Speaker 3: Actions, that's a really helpful framework. And then if we think about sort of what's happening in the world now with you know, enterprise businesses NAI, what are you seeing with enterprise adoption of AI at this moment?
Speaker 4: So we're really talking about almost a tale of two periods. So let me first of all kind of take you back before the advent of what I would call generative AI, and the whole chat gpt to what has been going on in what I would term the realm of more standardized machine learning models. A lot of what has been going on has been very much in the realms of certain things like anomaly detection or optimization, right, using machine learning models to do that kind of work, and where might it apply well, think of anomaly detection in security software right detecting threats based upon different events flowing through or in enterprise asset management software monitoring equipment and detecting anomalies within their behavior, or even in IT automation software once again detecting anomalies based upon what's going on with various IT events and then tasks that should occur. Optimizations often play around in the realm as you might imagine to solve problems of resource optimization, whether you think of that in the context of application resource management for IT or in the context of supply chain. These have been very classical applications of machine learning AI to really make sense of the data and provide a basis to drive decisions. Now, what is characterized by all those examples have given and the state of the art of that kind of technology has always been it's very task specific. So there was a air quotes, if I may, kind of limitation in the sense that the tak it had to be very task specific. And so we've seen a lot of broad based adoption within the enterprise, right, but it's very very task specific. As you might imagine. Now, what has happened recently and has been brought to the four has been this discussion of generative AI, which is powered by a very specific innovation, this notion of foundation models. And in the simplest way to think about it, it's about training this large model that can then be refined to various tasks. And the easiest one that everybody recognized at the moment is the notion of a large language model, a model that has an understanding of a lot of the elements of a language such that it can be refined to a variety of tasks. Write an essay, answer a question, singer songs, so on, answers so forth. I like to liken the power if you like, and this will speak to the why everybody is so excited about it. Why would argue at an inflection point? I like to liken it to teaching a child the alphabet. When you teach a child and alphabet, it's a set of letters. Right, Let's call that our foundation model. But over time that knowledge of the alphabet is tuned to read a book, write an essay, do a composition, create a song, write a poem, write an invoice. You understand what I mean, right, And so from one foundation model you can support multiple targeted tasks as opposed sticking with the analogy to having a model for reading, writing, thinking of doing a poem, doing an essay, so on and so forth. And so in the enterprise context, that means that we're now talking about being able to unlock even additional value at scale because of the nation of nature foundation models and their appeal to generative use cases. Generative in this case meaning creation of new content.
Speaker 3: So let's talk about what's in X. IBM recently announced what's an X. Just first of all, what is that? What is what's an X?
Speaker 4: Well, what's an X refers to our is our brand for our platform, the WhatsApp platform for really taking advantage of generative AI within the enterprise, within business. And so when you begin to think about what does that mean, while it leads you to the components of what's an X and to a set of use cases. So let me paint a few quick pictures for you here. What's an X first of all, is about enabling our customers to manipulate models against their task, manipulate these foundation models against their task. Our belief is that the world is a multi model world, right and especially when you think about it in the context of business. Models are going to come from various sources, the ones we supply, the ones out there in open source, and so of you. But there are activities you need to do around these models to as I said, apply them to your use case. And we'll talk about use cases in a bit. So what's next. Dot AI is that environment that build a tool if you like, for being able to do those manipulation of models to meet your specific use case. Thinks that people will recognize in the field prompt engineering, prompt tuning, fine tuning, those kinds of activities which are all the manipulation of models to meet your use case. Yeah. The second component is dot data, So what's the next? Dot data is essentially a next generation data store is based upon something referred to as an open data lakehouse architecture that helps to bring together the data that's needed to actually do the AI. In this case, when you think about manipulating a model, a foundation model, you're generally using some data to prompt it, tune it, to train it to your use cases. And so we provide a very open data store that allows all manner of data and formats to be brought through. Today you that and the third component is what's next up governance And this is all about the framework and the toolkit required to apply the right governance principles across doing this kind of work, because when you're deploying AI within the enterprise, governance is actually important, right, It's critical to understand why is your data coming from? What data did you add in? How is your model performing? Are you able to keep an appropriate audit trail of your activities for your own internal policy and compliance needs or for regulatory needs as well.
Speaker 3: So this platform, the system that you're describing, I'm curious, how is it different from the you know, the generative AI options that you know we've all been hearing about sort of in the press.
Speaker 4: Well, I think it really comes down to the ethos or the principles that first of all drive the work that we're doing. The first I would fixate on is being open. Right. We fundamentally believe that to do this kind of work within the enterprise, you need an open platform that, as I said, is open to all manner of models from all sources. It's one of the reasons why we announced our partnership with hugging Face to make sure that our clients can gain access to open source innovation within the platform to do their work.
Speaker 3: And hugging Face, to be clear, is sort of the open source AI kind of hub.
Speaker 4: That's right, that's correct. Yes, it's a marketplace hub for all kind of ecosystem coordinator for open source models. And I believe there's a lot of innovation going on out there. So, first of all, open becomes important. The second targeted So our focus is very much on enabling these business use cases, right, And you might say what kind of use cases are we talking about? I give you three very quick ones that with our customers are focused on a lot of focus around and enhancing customer service use cases. Think of this as chatbots or digital assistance that are further trained in more and more information about what the company has to offer, or could be internal policies, external policy, so on and so forth. This means a platform that makes it really easy to bring your own data to train and tune the model, while protecting your own data as extremely important for the enterprise right. Another important use case seeing a lot of focused on what i'd call AI based orchestration or automation of task whereby think about like an HR professional as an example, going through a job requisition is able to interact with multiple systems via a very simple chat interface and have work dynamically sequenced to support them in doing their task. That once again requires a notion of working with models and technology in a way that in many ways can be unique to how a business wishes to work and indeed, in various cases can embody what they consider their their secret source or their differentiated advantage. So once again, a platform that recognizes that and designed for business that's not the same scope or frame of reference for a consumer platform. And then you know, we're also seeing a lot of work around cod generation, application modernization, you know, and people enhancing their skills. So targeted becomes really important. Mentioned open and I mentioned targeted targeted to the business to the use cases that they need to do. Underpinning that then it's trusted. So everything I gave you in those targeted use cases talk about handling enterprise proprietary and specific data. We are trusted in this regard right. We have been serving the business for many, many a year, and we are designing our platform and even our principles and way of creating to recognize and enable that. Both in terms of the work we do around the governance framework and transparency that you're able to gain and apply, but even in the way we allow our platform to be deployed in multiple kind of locations, of footprints consumed as a service on a hyperscaler, running your own private footprint on prem or your cloud footprint. All of these need to be brought together to meet the needs of an actual enterprise business. My last comment is where I think we're fundamentally differentiated is we're really about empowering our customers to take advantage of AI to unleash the intelligence, capabilities productivity of their own business. This isn't about, oh, we've established a bunch of APIs that you can ask questions. This is about how do you craft what you need for your business to deliver different shaped value to your customers, shareholders, employees with all the appropriate protections as well. And so there's a lot of focus on what we've done with the platform and the tool set to enable that, to enable what we like to call AI value creators, not just consumers of AI value.
Speaker 3: When you were talking about basically enterprise adoption of AI, you use the word trust, and I'm curious, you know, what does trust mean in the context of AI and the enterprise.
Speaker 4: I would kind of deconstruct trust along these k avenues. If AI is about giving you insights to help you support decisions, how do you trust what insights it's provided? What data did it use? What did it consider based upon that data that therefore led to the insight provided? Why is this important? Why this notion of trust? Well, One, you're about to make a decision, so you want to understand the basis for a decision. It's no different than me asking you something and then saying, okay, can you explain you're working? Right, that would be a notion of trust that we establish and a very natural interaction as humans, right, we do it all the time, right, So there is that element. The other reason why it becomes important if you're applying AI into business processes and therefore how your business works. You want to make sure that you know what biases are built in to any decision or not or if the AI the model in effect is drifting away from kind of the parameters that you would want it to remain within, right or go trust and so in many ways, that's one big aspect of trusting the technology because you're applying it into decisions you need to make every day, and you need to know in very simple terms how it works and how it is working. The element of trust that I think is important in this discussion. Who are you getting your AI from? That's very important to us as a company here at IBM. Right, given we serve business, that trust becomes extremely important and what are the elements of that trust? What are the customers trying to understand? Well, first and foremost, what's your ethos around AI? We're very clear on the customer's data is their data when they tune or refine those models to meet their use cases. That is all THEIRS actually provide the ability for them to do that in very isolated and protected ways as they choose, and we never use that data without explicit opting and permissions. Right, customers might say Oh yeah, use this so that you can make a generally overall better model. But it's full awareness, full transparency that is important. That's a trust of who you're doing business with. So that's how I think about trust. How do you build systems you trust? And are you working with people you trust?
Speaker 2: I find Kareem's point about trust when it comes to data to be so important because as powerful as AI tools can be, their helpfulness is dependent on how trustworthy the data is. Humans will have to decide if our data, our decision making, and our AI insights live up to the vision we hope to achieve in business. As Green and Jacob continue the conversation, Jacob asks some more practical questions about how businesses can adopt AI into their own processes.
Speaker 3: Let's listen, how can businesses move toward integrating AI as part of their core business model instead of, you know, sort of as an add on on the periphery.
Speaker 4: It's funny, you know. My simple answer to that is it's actually the simplest thing in the world to do. By thinking about your business, thinking about your elements of differentiation, and then thinking about how AI can help you extend expand those Right, what do you want to be known for. I picked a very simple use case of customer service interaction. Almost every business needs to do that and wants to do it better, and so it becomes a way to stop. But then as you begin to work your way through, you think about various automation of business processes. You think about decisions that need to be made right or how can individuals be helped, how can they made more productive? I think always becomes a very important one. Right, So, and you can apply this in many context a financial analyst looking at reams of data and trying to derive insights. How do you leverage AI to make that financial analyst even more powerful? And so that's how I advise you, know, people to always look at it. Think about your task, think about your business processes, think about where help is needed or where new value could be unlocked, and then you're applying AI as a tool to achieve that end.
Speaker 3: One of the themes we return to on this show a lot is creativity and the relationship between technology and creativity. And I'm curious how you think that AI can help people be more creative at work.
Speaker 4: I think AI can help people be more creative at work by automating the mundane to unlock your mind to be able to focus on higher value. You know, I've used a couple of times I've talked about deriving insights from data right to drive informed decisions. If you can use AI to gather a lot more insights into one place, then you could typically do yourself or more manually, you'd have to like write it down, look at six spreadsheets, copy from here to there. Then you actually have more time to look at that data, digest those insights, and think about what do I need to do with these as a business, which direction do I want to go? I think of its freeing us up to do more of what we actually as humans do extremely well, which is actually that creative thinking exactly simple terms. Why do we use a calculator to do arithmetic? It's not that we cannot necessarily knock it out ourselves. But if you're trying to balance your checkbook, to use an old phrase or dare I say, what's a check but so modernize that. If you're trying to check your expenses for the month and your performance against budget, yes you could print out all your statements, circle everything and add it all up. Or you could begin to use technology to improve that experience, so you can get more time to think about what really am I learning from my spending patterns and what do I want to do about it. It's a very simple personal example, but I think it's fundamentally what we're talking about here, and that's always been in my mind, the promise of technology freeing us up to actually apply ourselves to higher value thought and higher value problems.
Speaker 3: So we've been talking basically about the present so far, and I'm curious if if you think about the future and you think, you know, medium to long term, how do you think AI is going to transform business? And you know, how can people now, business leaders now prepare for what's coming.
Speaker 4: So to an earlier comment I made, I do really think that we are at an inflection point with the advancement of the technologies of AI. I talked about foundation models. We definitely at the cusp of being able to address use cases at scale that were more challenging before, and so I do think the future looks like a lot more generative AI surfacing within the enterprise and within business processes and manifesting in interesting ways. I think it's almost a given that any piece of software right think, whether you think of it in terms of an application or you think about it in terms of you know, the interact with the website will have conversational enabled interfaces from the analyst saying give me the latest reports for the last three months, you know, typing that or saying it versus the right click file blah blah. I think you're going to see that change in interaction to more conversational interaction. I think, particularly chat based.
Speaker 3: We forget that the graphical user interface is just a metaphor, right, It's not like the way computers work. It's just an interface. And if chat is a better interface, people will use chat.
Speaker 4: And I think we're going to see that rarely explode. And that's powered by a lot of this generative AI work because it becomes for it to feel natural, for it to be as informed, to readily, as I said, link things to get and orchestrate. That's a big part. So I think I see that happening and the appropriate or associated productivity on locks you begin to see with that will just change what kind of decisions, the ease with which we can make more and more formed business decisions. And so for me, it's that rolling out at scale, touching everything, procurement, hr think about the advent of the spreadsheet and how many different roles it just ended up touching and everybody can use or does user spreadsheeting business in some shape, size or form. So I think of this as AI at scale. And so what it therefore means from as you said, getting prepared, Well, it's all about gaining first of all, the right understanding of the technologies. And part of what a lot we'll be talking about necessary ingredients began to be well, where do I want to apply it first? What data do I need to bring together to readily support that? What unlocks what new value? And I think it's going to be like this rollout right, you got to start with this project and then there's another project, and very soon it will be so much it will be ubiquitu just in the way it supports the work we need to do. That it will just speak to a new way of us working that is, when you now look back, will be pretty different from how we work today. You see the seeds today, but I would argue, think of that now like fully bloomed. It's a forest, not a not a flowerbed. You know, yeah, yeah, yeah, great.
Speaker 3: One other one other sort of loose thread I want to I want to return to UH and that's that's governance. Right, you talked about governance and maybe just just to help sort of set the table, like you mentioned it in a broadway but narrowly, what does governance mean in the context of IBM's work on enterprise AHI.
Speaker 4: I think, as the word tries to suggest, it is about having the way to govern one's activity in this realm, which really speaks to policies, rules and frameworks within which to understand all of that. Now, before we dive in the direction of regulation, which is where people often go, policies can be all internal. So think about it this way. If I say to you, when I build AI, I do not use my customer's data. Is their customer's data, Then from a governance perspective, I need processes that ensure I know what data I'm using and I can prove to myself just first of all internally, forget about anybody else, that I'm actually adhering to the policies I've laid out. That in my mind is a lot of what governance is about, and in the context of AI, it always tends to I think structure around three key areas data where did it come from? And what did I do with it? And how did I apply it? And where did I use it? And then usage, what do I expect this model to do? Is this model still performing the way I think it should be performing? What are my processes to address whether they answered that question is yes or no? And manage that through. And then importantly so this is then to bridge to regulation. If you take a look at what's going on in the world of AI regulation and our point of view on this, by the way, is that you actually regulate the use cases, not the technology. Then from a governance perspective, how are you able to clearly understand, track and account for what use cases you are leveraging AI for? And then back to my earlier comments how that AI.
Speaker 3: Is performing and when you talk about how do you make sure that you have the governance you need without inhibiting innovation?
Speaker 4: I think what is key and this is key A key design point for what we're doing with What's the next is how you make governance seamless institute versus another activity that you do right. And so our goal is to try and drive that kind of seamless interactions or value add in terms of governance, so that when oh, let's pull through the history right of everything we've done here, or what prompts we've created, or what data we've used, it's kind of already there, right, and so you can feel free to be innovating and testing out your different prompts and all that stuff, or bringing in your data sets without saying, oh, before I do that, I need to make sure I run this checker. And now you can kind of bring it systems kind of automatically categorizing it, and then you can go in a lead very five, validate or explore, say I'm no longer going to take this path based upon these facts. I think the more we can make it more of a natural extension of the activities that need to be done, the more we can make it then just a part of what needs to be done. And as you're to your point, gain our governance needs or supports the governance needs of our customers without stifling the innovation of the individuals at the glass trying to think through I iteratively think through new value ways to do work excellent.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you are there things I didn't ask you that I should? Are there things you want to talk about that we didn't talk about.
Speaker 4: I think we covered quite a lot true it. Oh No, I think we we covered the bases there.
Speaker 2: Earlier, Green mentioned that we are at an inflection point in AI technology. Implementing a in business will get easier, and AI platforms like Watson x can empower even the largest enterprise businesses to reinvent the way they run. As Greem said, in the same way the spreadsheet took over business operations, the adoption of AI at enterprise scale could be just as ubiquitous. It's not an overstatement to say that a new era of work may be upon us. I'm Malcolm Gladwell. This is a paid advertisement from IBM. Smart Talks with IBM is produced by Matt Romano, David jaw Nisha Venkat and Royston Deserve with Jacob Goldstein. We're edited by Lydia gene Kott. Our engineers are Jason Gambrel, Sarah Brugaier and Ben Tolliday. Theme song by Gramoscope. Special thanks to Carli Migliore, Andy Kelly, Kathy Callahan and eight Bar and the eight Bar and IBM teams, as well as the Pushkin marketing team. Smart Talks with IBM is a production of Pushkin Industries and Ruby Studio at iHeartMedia. To find more Pushkin podcasts, listen on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts.