Speaker 1: Native Lamb Pod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Resent Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Well come, well come, well come, well come, well come.
Speaker 3: Welcome.
Speaker 4: Okay, hey, everybody, welcome to Native Lamb POD's mini pod.
Speaker 5: You guys, I'm so excited about this show. Y'all want to hear a clap back.
Speaker 4: Tiff It is getting ready cracking him knuckles. Okay, here's the situation. We have seen a lot of great thing pieces deep dives on kay Lamar's amazing Super Bowl performance. Your resident sports expert is here to break down the NFL Super Bowl if you want her to. She knows who won the game. But most importantly, we know who won the Super Bowl period.
Speaker 5: That is Kendrick Lamar. But that everybody agrees.
Speaker 4: In fact, some black people don't even agree. And so we're gonna play this clip for y'all so you can see what's going on. We did invite this gentleman to join us on the show today, however, there's been no response, so we'll respond anyway.
Speaker 5: We're gonna roll this clip and get back to you on the other side.
Speaker 2: All right, y'all, I'm sorry. Kendrick Lamar at the Super Bowl was whack that was one of the worst halftime shows in recent memory. First of all, Kendrick Lamar is not mainstreams like, people do not know those songs. The white people at the Super Bowl party that I was with, he may as well have been speaking Mandarin, all right, because nobody knew these songs. Nobody knew what he was rapping about outside of not leg us obviously, but nobody knows these songs. Second of all, Blake can be black black. I'm so much blacker than you. Halftime shows are very passe, like that stuff peaked in the BLM era. It's very not of this moment. It very much does not work, and also it's been done better, so at this point nobody cares. Third of all, forty three year old mother of two Serena Williams and a bad blonde wig like cripwalking is embarrassing, Like I'm embarrassed for her. She should be embarrassed for herself. It's just all really, really passe. There is nothing about that halftime performance that work. So what I need to tell the NFL nation that anybody's doing that Super Bowl try to make a show that's for all of America, because that was not for all of America. That was for like a friend that knows Kendrick Lamar and that knows you know his repsut, Like, you're not going to tell me that that man is mainstream.
Speaker 5: Okay, Tim, you was cracking and knuckles what you got?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, a couple of things. One, I just want to say about the Super Bowl in general. I kept hearing people say, oh, they're two black quarterbacks, they are two black quarterbacks. There was one black quarterback. There was one black quarterback, and okay, Jalen Hurts. You know, we were rooting for Jalen Hurts. We were rooting for the black quarterback with the black fiance, with the black agent, with the black family, with the black people around him. We root for everybody black right right, a real life as Omega, not for Maga lover with his Maga loving uh Jordan Peel get out wife so I and his mama and his mama. So I just was confused at the descriptor because I think we all knew that that wasn't true. Secondly, with regards to this clip, it's very strange to me, and he's not the only person who I have heard express similar thoughts, not around Kendrick Lamar's performance, but around this idea that white is right, around this idea of lets tave in front of them. My former colleague Jonathan K Hart wrote a a fed piece in the Post after the slap Do we need to say anything after the slap?
Speaker 3: Everybody knows the slap when you say that.
Speaker 1: But after that incident at the oscars, he wrote a piece and the headline was will Smith, the white people are looking at you.
Speaker 3: And I just find that way of thinking so incredibly sad.
Speaker 1: I couldn't imagine living my life like that, right, because I don't think on January sixth that white people were like, oh my god, I'm so embarrassed. Oh man, the black folks are looking at us after our folks showed our ass. And so when I heard this man not only denigrate himself but denigrate Serena Williams the goat uh denigrate Kendrick Lamar, an artists who literally made an American flag out of black men and the symbolism there, it just shows that it wasn't for him. It was lost on him.
Speaker 3: Right right.
Speaker 1: What all that said, It just showed his intellectual and artistic limitations that he was so caught up in what the white folks thought that he couldn't enjoy that moment.
Speaker 5: But you know, he not like us, so I don't know it.
Speaker 6: Does it.
Speaker 2: Does?
Speaker 3: No one mustard on the beat, potatoes.
Speaker 7: To the picnic. That's for show that cookout I mean, I mean cookouts. They do have stove top mac and cheese. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I ain't talking, I ain't yeah anyway, So listen to this. I think it is really sad because I took similarly from you away from this that I'm like, man, what must it feel like to like run your life through the filter of Are the white people around me gonna be okay? Will they like me after this? Shall I be embarrassed about us? Because they didn't know the lyrics? The man got a fucking record. Go listen, go buy the record. You'd know the songs. But moreover, I don't give a damn if they don't notice the damn lyrics. I don't care if they're now singing along. It wasn't for them anyway. And the fact that your tentacles went up to the fact that he's not quote unquote mainstream, which let's just translate.
Speaker 6: White acceptable, right, white approved, white produced, white sanctioned That is what he means when he says these are not the type of artists who are mainstream.
Speaker 7: You know, he wasn't talking about he's not acceptable to black people. He's not acceptable to brown people. He's not acceptable to woke you know, people who are conscious, who are awake and breathing and aware in the bodies that they're in. That wasn't his complaint. What he wanted was lollipop bobbity do bob mute, right. He wanted this stuff. We could all just sort of cheer along to the brother wasn't looking for a message, and I'm not sure he would have caught it anyway. And so your point, Iff, and more importantly, I think to the point of the artist himself, Kendrick Lamar does brother just ain't like us. And I'm being very very the brother, in my sentence, is doing a lot of work.
Speaker 5: I yeah, that's it's over healed.
Speaker 4: I just want to point out that the song that Kendrick lamartiz throughout his performance, not Like Us, debuted number one on the Hot one hundred for Billboard. It had seventeen million official US streams in a single tracking week. And since we're doing math and I don't even like math, but I'm gonna help this brother because he couldn't figure out that his shirt was too tight for said bathroom video that he recorded during.
Speaker 5: His alleged takedown of Kendrick Lamar.
Speaker 4: That one hundred and thirty three point five million people watched this halftime show, making it the most watched Super Bowl halftime show in history only the only second. Michael Jackson is second now to Kendrick Lamar. So I think that that's nonsense.
Speaker 7: Now, I think it's in programming period. I think this may have been the most viewed programming period.
Speaker 5: Okay, I didn't.
Speaker 7: That's least. We'll go with your stat which is whatever it is.
Speaker 5: Is first is number one.
Speaker 4: And now this is the other thing that I want to point out, and I think Tiff was hitting at this. I think this man has said in this video three times, the white people I was with, the white people, I was with the white people I was with. And I'm trying to figure out why you took your black ass to the bathroom to talk to us about the white people you were with.
Speaker 5: Now here's the thing.
Speaker 4: The white people you were with might not have known the lyrics, but they kids did. And There are videos all over the internet of these kids singing every single one of the lyrics. Of course, not the N word. The N word wasn't even said during the during the performance. The other thing that I want to point out is how dare you negro? Dressed down? Serena Williams, who also cripwalks, also crip walking. There is a contention about where it really came from because there was a nineteen forties artist who was handicapped. He had one leg and he was doing a dance that they called a cripwalk because he was crippled. It just so happens that a gang might have taken that on it you know the name. But I just want to also point that out because it's a Black history moment in Black History months, something you also don't know anything about, because you would know that Serena is not to be messed with, So you talking about her wig You come in at the appearance of a black woman and a white woman you would never like, how dare you, sir?
Speaker 5: I'm not even gonna call you brother.
Speaker 4: Last thing you talk about Kendrick Lamar being on the fringe, This is not fringe, this is mainstream, Drake. You clearly listen to Drake, and so I just want to just be very clear about the fact that this is someone who understands hip hop, brought it to the culture, knew the importance of the symbol of lism, of having Samuel Jackson being Uncle Sam in the face of white America that has had to whitewash America's history despite the fact that it was built on our backs. The black people hunched over making the American flag on their backs literally.
Speaker 5: And then Kendrick Lamar standing in the middle.
Speaker 4: Of a divided America and saying to you, especially Negro, that you picked the.
Speaker 5: Right time, but the wrong guy.
Speaker 4: And that was especially for people like you that don't understand that we too sing America. And on that I just want to briefly go to Langston Hughes's poem, I too sing America.
Speaker 5: I am the darker brother.
Speaker 4: They send me to eat in the kitchen when company comes, But I.
Speaker 5: Laugh and eat well and grow strong.
Speaker 4: Tomorrow I'll sit at the table when company comes. Nobody will dare say to me eat in the kitchen. Then, besides, they'll see how beautiful I am.
Speaker 5: And be ashamed. I too am America.
Speaker 4: And that was the message behind that very powerful display.
Speaker 5: If you don't understand that, forty acres and.
Speaker 4: A mule would have went to you, too, Negro, had we had the law not be overtaken by once again a rogue president.
Speaker 5: But you too busy in the.
Speaker 4: Goddamn bathroom, which your tight ass shirt on, defending what White America wants you to say. So shame on you, and we welcome you to the podcast to say this bullshit to our faces.
Speaker 5: I'm done.
Speaker 7: Well, let's just title this that we are. We are very gracious in giving of our time and our words and our energy, because dam young man didn't deserveh of what we spent on them, but.
Speaker 5: His misinformed audiences.
Speaker 7: It's for y'all. It's for him and those adjacent to him. My only thing would be, y'all just love yourselves. If you loved you as much as I love us bad, please, you wouldn't be stutting what everybody else got to say. Love yourself.
Speaker 5: Brother, he's on the fringe. He's on the French.
Speaker 3: Also going to this party when it ain't none of us there.
Speaker 5: Like that's also weird.
Speaker 7: Yeah, stove top macaroni, stove top macarth of course you have a friend you at party.
Speaker 4: A little bun for crowd, back and cheese the blue box.
Speaker 5: Yeah that's not saying the brand stove top. He seen you cooked it on. I got it now I'm back.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I don't.
Speaker 3: Do It's weird.
Speaker 1: Nobody does. Nobody does.
Speaker 6: Anyway.
Speaker 3: He want to say he wants attention, that's what I think.
Speaker 7: Well we gave him some. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I hated to do this to y'all, but I just thought it was necessary because there are people who get so irate, like we have a black Santa Claus. They do a whole special about Black Santa Claus when we have the halftime show and feature blackness on his full display. Siss all of those da answers, even the protester. There was even space for a protester first too, Dan and Gaza, even though they said they abandoned for life from this from any more NFL.
Speaker 7: So, I say, when he was doing that again.
Speaker 4: Wait he said, he said? He said, he said, that's fine. I thought I was gonna get hit by a Secret Service bullet. So, I mean, you know, for somebody that's like, I'm willing to risk my life for a cause, this man could never he don't know nothing about that. What Kendrick did was bold, courageous and more than timely. And speaking of prophets, I think he's.
Speaker 5: One of them.
Speaker 7: I love it everybody playing their part, from the bishop in the National Cathedral to Kendrick Lamar on the field. All right, that was hot. But you know what, I like the fact that it's not just for him. It's for him and the adjacent y'all need to get awake. Come awake, come awake.
Speaker 4: I mean, do anything, but do anything, but do these damn video. Don't do no more videos like this. Don't do no more videos.
Speaker 3: I think he did it for attention, and we gave him the attention he wanted.
Speaker 6: He got it.
Speaker 4: But you know what the thing is he I think he also did it for approval, and it wasn't our approval.
Speaker 5: He was right. I think they have.
Speaker 7: Got but you know he got that.
Speaker 4: But I think my question to y'all too, is like why I remember having this whole conversation and Andrew, I think you know Gary Flowers that used to work for Reverend Jack.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, tif I know you know him, but I remember.
Speaker 4: Kind of growing up on the hill and Gary saying to me that black folks go over there because the line is shorter. And when I see people like him, it's like, this guy is doing videos pontificating about DEI and why it shouldn't exist and all that, And I'm like, nigro. You know, in the other words that I want to say, you literally are a gay black Republican. The reason why you get any attention is because you are a gay black Hi.
Speaker 7: He But I'm saying he.
Speaker 4: Had theirs space for him because he fits in an area where they don't have anybody the him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but that's my point is shorter.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And by the way, equity includes. And when I hear it from Trump or Advance, and all I hear is nigga, I supplant the word that all, which is why.
Speaker 3: That's what they mean, That's what.
Speaker 6: That's what. But I'm.
Speaker 7: Herschel and them and all the other ones who can't put a real sentence together. But their north star is measured by their adjacent c the whiteness.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're never they're never.
Speaker 7: Cheap, but it's they're gonna bend over backwards, break their back, their legs. That I mean, all of it until he turned black, Ye, until he was black.
Speaker 3: I understand.
Speaker 1: I understand certain pockets of white people thinking that it's just hard to see when people adopt that themselves. You know where you have been so like, I feel sad for you because you miss so much. It is nope culture.
Speaker 7: You know, somebody forgot to teach him how to love himself.
Speaker 3: Head.
Speaker 4: Imagine you're trying not to bob his head at the super Bowl party.
Speaker 1: He may have been he may have been raised in the way that he doesn't even know to about his head. You know, truly, he lost the rhythm, you know, and that's that's it's just sad.
Speaker 5: To see you can't.
Speaker 1: Right right, Well, he had it. It's your birth right, like somewhere along the way he said, he.
Speaker 3: Here, y'all go.
Speaker 7: Lots of people reject the birth right from birth.
Speaker 3: Lots of folks this nature versus nurture.
Speaker 1: I think it's your natural and then you get nurtured out of your culture.
Speaker 7: I'm just saying, somebody needed love. He need to love on himself. Can't nobody get that to you?
Speaker 5: Brother? Tell him is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, basically, you don't want no mustard on the beer.
Speaker 5: That's all we gotta say. All we gotta say.
Speaker 4: Episode Toms insteady you're calling people toms or coons or anything disparaging.
Speaker 5: Is Like, I'll be like, Andrew, can we call this episode?
Speaker 3: Can we just try to unison so we know the way to do it?
Speaker 1: When I say so, if I give you the look Andrew, and I'm like, Andrew, we gotta get a unison.
Speaker 5: Well it's hard because you know we're not all together. We all together. We gotta do a video do it.
Speaker 3: We'll do it.
Speaker 5: I love it, I love you guys.
Speaker 4: Episode was I know that you guys hate when I have these things, but thank you for indulging me.
Speaker 5: I really wanted him on the show. Rob, You're welcome. You come on the show any time, but we's gonna be in now.
Speaker 3: I don't want to talk time.
Speaker 5: Come up with definitely that's what he wants.
Speaker 7: Like we got a no, I'm just saying with way too much waste of time. Time, we will get back.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, this has been another episode of Native Lampod. It's a mini pod and they were gonna end this episode different Welcome Home and Love Yourself.
Speaker 7: Snatched We tried.
Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is the production of iHeart Radio and partnership with Resent Choice media. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.