Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey you welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind. Listener mail. My name is Robert.
Speaker 3: Lamb and I am Joe McCormick. And it's Monday, the day of each week that we read back messages from the Stuff to Blow Your Mind email address. If you have never gotten in touch with us before, why not give it a shot. You can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com. Whatever kind of message you want to send is welcome. We sort of always prioritize feedback to recent episodes, especially if you've got something interesting you'd like to add to a topic we talked about. But whatever it is, send it on it. Okay, I'm going to kick things off with a response to our couple of episodes about pouring oil over the water. This was a series on the idea that oil poured over the top of the sea would calm the waves and how that sounds rather unbelievable but there actually is some truth to it to a limited extent. But yeah, interesting phenomenon. And this is also the one where we got into the stories of Benjamin Franklin walking around with a hollow cane and pouring oil in people's ponds. Matt says, Hey, guys, I was just listening to your first Oil and Troubled Waters episode, and I thought I would share some of the things that came to mind while listening. During the episode, it seemed to be implied that given time, oil would simply spread to cover the entire surface of water that it was poured into. But this isn't the case. As may come as no surprise, oil and water don't like to interact with each other so much so that they will actively position themselves in such a way to minimize the area where the oil contacts the water, so far as gravity, buoyancy, surface tension, etc. Will allow. As an example, if you put a small drop of oil into water, the oil will turn into a small bead as close to a sphere the aforementioned factors will allow. This is specifically because a sphere provides the smallest possible surface area for a given volume, thus minimizing the interface between the oil and the water. Now, something I think is pretty cool that happens at the point of interface is the water actually forms what amounts to a one atom thick layer of ice. This is because the water molecules really want to form hydrogen bonds, but this isn't possible with the oils, and in overly simplified terms, it has to double down on the bonds with the other water molecules around it, forming into a structure like you would normally find in ice. Ah, that's interesting that I had no idea, Matt says. I studied molecular biology, and these thoughts also reminded me of how the same kind of effect of oil plumping together to minimize contact with water also affects how proteins fold and become relatively stable in their intended structure. You see, proteins are made up of segments that are either hydrophilic meaning they like water, or hydrophobic, meaning they don't like water, and the same physics that causes the oil to clump also causes the hydrophobic segments to bury themselves in the protein structure, away from the water surrounding it and leaving the hydrophilic segments on the outside. It sometimes takes some trial and error to help to get there, but proteins use this to form and maintain their most stable structure and the one that allows them to function. Thanks for providing such breadth and depth in so many topics to keep us entertained and educated. Matt, Well, thank you for the insight, Matt. And that was really interesting about the one molecule thick layer of ice at the interfew. I'd never read or heard anything about that, but yeah, I guess it would be good to clarify what is happening with the oil in the water. And it is interesting that we get these seemingly opposite reactions because you can observe it like if you dump a drop of oil into water and it sinks. If it sinks, it will form this spherical ball that will float within the water, eventually rising to the surface, and the oil will be trying to cling to itself and repel contact with the water, which is why it forms a sphere like that. It doesn't, you know, it doesn't want to mix with the water. But conversely, like we talked about in these two episodes, some oils, when they float on top of the water end up spreading out to form a film that is one molecule thick. Why exactly does that happen? What's going on at the molecular level. Well, I was just digging through some chemistry textbooks to try to find the answer to this, make sure I understood before commenting, and I think I've got it figured out. So, first of all, not all oils will spread out over the water's surface like this. For example, paraffin oils like kerosene will not spread out evenly on top of the water, while most vegetable oils, the commonly used example in the experiments we've talked about was pure olive oil, they do spread out to form the monolayer. So what makes the difference? Well, I found part of an answer in a book called Physical Chemistry, Experimental and Theoretical by Gordon Van Prague. This is Cambridge University Press, nineteen fifty and Van Prague clarifies that quote substances whose molecules contain water soluble groups such as cooh ANDCH two oh, et cetera. And then a parenthetical long chain acids and alcohols will spread into surface films on water. So according to this source, it is large oil molecules that have some kind of water attracted arm somewhere on them, somewhere on the molecule. So if you picture a molecule sort of like a tree, one branch of that molecule tree is water soluble, and this type of arm on the molecule structure that has its own reactive tendencies is called a group or functional group in chemistry. So in oils with this particular structure, what happens Well? I found more elaboration that helped clarify it in another book, this time a physics book by Eric M. Rogers called Physics for the Inquiring Mind The Methods, Nature and Philosophy of Physical Science. This is Princeton University Press, twenty eleven. So Rogers is in the middle of talking about the experiments of Lord Rayleigh, which we brought up in those episodes, and speaking of Lord Rayleigh, he says he pictured a spreading drop of oil as a huddle of molecules tumbling and crawling over each other till each reached the water surface and could hitch one end to water. For these oils have long chain molecules with a water liking chemical group at one end. Once all the oil molecules are thus attached, they should keep together in a monomolecular carpet, showing little tendency to spread more. With just enough oil for a given water surface, the layer would be one molecule thick, with the molecules packed close and upright, like the pile of velvet. With less oil, patches of open water should be revealed. With more oil, there should be excess puddles on the water, as on a greasy soup. So I think that clarifies the answer. First of all, whether or not the oil spreads out to become one molecule thick on the surface of water depends on the type of oil. It is oil molecules with a water soluble group somewhere on them that do this. And it happens because they all line up so that the water attracted arm of the molecule is pointed down at the water and the unattracted mass of the molecule is pointing up away from the water, and they arrange themselves in a single massive sheet layer, all oriented in the same way like this.
Speaker 2: Hmm, all right, right, that's illuminating. We still don't know exactly what kind of oil Benjamin Franklin had in his cane.
Speaker 3: Though I think it was olive oil.
Speaker 2: You think so, yeah, I mean it would it would make the most sense, right, And if what if your cane were to leak unexpectedly, what kind of oil would you want to have to deal with. I mean, obviously, olive oil is not that bad.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine how gross it would be to have a cane that just leaks oil sometimes, like you're out walking and oh it's coming out again. Oh I got oil all over my hand. Oh boy, you go give somebody a greasy handshake.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, on that note, let's turn to some of our listener mails concerning our recent episodes about anomaloust photos and those photos possible connections to ancient aliens, ancient civilizations, or anything else you want to connect to them.
Speaker 3: If you're new to the show, to clarify meaning that some people thought that and we don't. Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's made for a good discussion across three episodes anyway. Mark writes then and says, Hi, guys, I'm listening to your episodes on enigmatic objects in photos this week. I like your take on walking through the debunking of these types of photos. The whole low resolution theory on how these photos become misunderstood is great. Something that came to mind was that I don't even really need to know anything about a particular photo, citing, etc. To know that aliens haven't visited us. That's because I think most people hugely underestimate the level of technology required to take an interstellar trip. Not to say that interstellar travel is impossible, just that it is very, very hard. As humans were used to failing at spaceflight, We've seen so many rocket crashes, satellite deorbits, and media about crashing your spaceship on an alien moon. The thing is, we as humans are just really bad at spaceflight at this point in our history. We take this bias into how we imagine aliens might interact with spaceflight, as if it might be common that they would crash or be seen without wanting to be seen. The level of technology required to literally compress space in front of your spaceship so that you can get from star to star in anything less than an eon is absolutely massive. I've seen estimates that it would require something on the order of all the energy contained in Jupiter's mass to be able to achieve such a thing, even for a short time. Aliens with that kind of technology will have mastered the physical world. They won't be crashing in roswell leaving alien corpses. They won't be placing visible beacons on our seafloor. They won't be Whoopsie, we turned on our headlights too bright and a fighter jet solace. Those are human like errors that we expect but aren't realistic. We will either see them because they want us to see, or we won't see them. That paired to the fact that many, many scientists dedicate their entire lives to detecting alien life with the most sophisticated technology we have and haven't come up with anything yet, it makes any testimony these supposed alien experts give to Congress ridiculous and unbelievable in my opinion, even without knowing anything more than how the universe works on a physical level. Give have the great work. Mark ps. Here's a photo of my friend on our recent road trip through Roswell. We went to Carlsbad, New Mexico to visit the caverns there and they were absolutely life changingly interesting. Some intriguing history on cave exploring comes from there, too, might be worth looking into as an episode topic.
Speaker 3: Oh man, yeah, the history of cave exploration. I think it could be a great subject for us. But I do want to comment on your photo here of your friend posing next to Is this like a statue of an alien installed about ten feet from the door of a McDonald's. That's McDonald's, right, I don't know. I don't recognize the branding there. So does the alien statue belong to the McDonald's or is this a public monument somehow situated in a McDonald's parking lot.
Speaker 2: I don't know that. QP. See that sends for a quarter pounder with cheeks, right, this has to be this is a burger king, right.
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't know. I mean it could be something else. I saw McDonald's because I see like red and yellow. That's McDonald's colors, isn't it.
Speaker 2: I guess I don't know. I mean, we're as confused as the aliens at this point.
Speaker 3: If this alien does belong to the McDonald's, does does do they just have like a lax corporate policy about what kind of things franchise owners can put in the parking lot? Could you put a statue of a t rex in a McDonald's parking lot?
Speaker 2: I mean, my guess is it's kind of like the different, you know, public statues that you see endorsed by various cities, where like, this is part of our identity now, and therefore everyone who wants an alien statue in front of their business can have one painted.
Speaker 3: How you like you got the bronze fawns, you got the RoboCop, you got the uh you got the McDonald's alien, the quarter pounder alien. Yeah, but uh anyway, Sorry to come back to the sub sense of your message, Mark, I'm kind of two minds about this. On one hand, the points you make are things that I'm sympathetic to, and I used to be much more firmly in the camp of you know, travel between stars is so difficult that should massively wait our our starting I don't know what you call it, the starting probability of us entertaining ideas of alien visitation should wait that very low because that's so difficult. Now I've kind of come around that I don't think it's any more likely that we actually have been visited by aliens. But I just don't place as much emphasis on that kind of reasoning about the difficulty of traveling between stars, because that's sort of another one of those questions like the you know, I can't understand how they could have done the work inside the pyramids without leaving lamp black, so they must have had electric lights. It's to be fair to you. It's not quite that bad, but it is. It is sort of in that zone of I can't see how someone could have done this. Therefore it's very unlikely, you know, I would allow that there's just lots of things we don't understand. But on the other hand, I do see a kind of I do see your point about the incongruity of like the level of competence required to travel between stars, have an interstellar civilization and visit the Earth, but then also just be crashing all the time and showing up on you know, appearing in the side view of a jet fighter pilot's vision. That does seem kind of incongruous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the whole idea that like, oh, we got a warehouse full of them, We've just been rounding them up. Every time there's a wreck, we throw it, throw it into the warehouse, I don't know. I mean it. As far as like the vast distances and times involved in all of this, I mean it. It certainly adds to the contemplation, like when I sort of do any kind of like navel gazing and stargazing and thinking about human and some other possible intelligent life out there with the technology to move around and visit us, you know, I mean you end up thinking about, like, well, what does it mean for a civilization to have that kind of technology, to have that kind of travel, that kind of reach, to perhaps have to deal with very long periods of time, to have to deal with perhaps a movement towards the inorganic. I mean, there are just so many there, you know, there's so many ideas about what such a civilization might be like, and it's all built along around, you know, guesses and best guesses based on what we think life could be elsewhere in the universe. So I mean it's I love thinking about it, but it's it's really hard to come to any kind of, you know, firm conclusion.
Speaker 3: I agree. I mean, I do love speculating about this kind of stuff, but when it comes down to judging what really has happened or not, I guess I think it's fair to be humble about the limitations of our imagination, you know, us just trying to speculate about what aliens could or couldn't do. I don't know that there's that it's that fruitful. But then to come back on the other hand, like I have similar thoughts, Mark, I mean, like one is how come how come like we're seeing saucers all the time but there is like absolutely no radio frequency communication at all. That seems like a really strange kind of mismatch there, Like wouldn't we be more likely to pick up radio frequency communications or some kind of signal of some kind and not be seeing spaceships?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then you can easily say, well, they don't want you to. They're using a different bandwidth or something that we just don't have access to. But then again then you get into almost religious level where it's like, well, of course you can't detect God, and then the answer as well, if God is moving within the physical world, then there might be like a footprint. There must be some sort of sign that God has interacted with a physics based world. So I don't know, you can just run around in circles with all of this.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, actually this is a good comparison because while I would say that I don't think you can use science to prove that a god does not exist, you can use science to prove that the Shroud of Turin is a medieval forgery. And likewise, with like UFOs, I don't think we have any way of saying like aliens don't exist, or that you can know with certainty that they've never been here. But you can look at the supposed individual pieces of evidence and claims people make about it and say like, yeah, this is not convincing.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, so yeah you can again, you can spend all day thinking about this this sort of thing, and there's so many ways to spend it, you know. Some of some of the ways of thinking about it involve casting humanity as the most interesting thing that an interstellar civilization could come across. But you know, maybe we should think of ourselves. If each planet that has life and is observable to some hypothetical alien is like a television channel, perhaps we are not like peak MTV, Perhaps we are c SPAN and you know, and that kind of lines up with the idea that you know, we shouldn't be thinking about there being anything privileged about the human viewpoint of the cosmos or human identity. Maybe yeah, maybe we're just only marginally interesting maybe important at the end of the day, but you know, not the kind of thing you give a lot of attention to.
Speaker 3: But anyway, thanks again Mark for getting in touch interesting thoughts, and I once again I appreciate the idea about the history of cave exploration. I think we could come back to that absolutely. Okay, we got another response to our episode on the El Tana antenna. This is from Chris. Chris says, Dear Robert and Joe, after listening to a recent episode on the Altana and antenna, the point you were making about you were making regarding low quality data being used to make extraordinary claims is well received and indeed a common problem in the larger community of UFO enthusiasts. In the episode, this concept is introduced by mentioning the recent UFO hearings by the Congressional Oversight Committee. This is something that happened in the United States Congress. If you're not up to speed, basically, there was whistleblower testimony that included claims from one whistleblower that essentially amounted to this guy saying that other people in the government had told him that the government was in possession of crashed alien spacecraft and alien bodies and had been using that technology to reverse engineer other types of technology. And I think we were just saying, like, you know, remain open minded, but at this point, it's just it's a guy saying other people told him something, So I would reserve judgment until any actual solid evidence is presented. So, coming back to Chris's message, while it is an aside from the main concept you were discussing, this investigation is important for multiple reasons unrelated to extraterrestrial non human intelligence, and it's worrisome that aliens are a reason people are tuning out. The primary concern of the whistleblowers grush at all is that is that government spending is occurring on technological research and development is occurring without congressional oversight. Contrary to mandates in the Constitution. It is against the law for whistleblowers to release their information and evidence to the public, which is the reason the hearing is taking place. It introduces the problem so that laws can be introduced to allow whistleblowers to bring forth their evidence and not be immediately arrested for leaking classified information. Matters of pilot safety and the failure to declassify documents to the public as required are also center stage. Bills have already been introduced by the Senate Majority Leader Chuck and may be worth a read for those interested, But I wanted to point out one particular section per the quote Unidentified Anomalous Phenomena Disclosure Act of twenty twenty three, and then Chris includes a link this is something that would require the disclosure if such existed of recovered technologies of unknown origin and biological evidence of non human intelligence. And then the I guess the first item or statute from it exercise of imminent domain. The Federal Government shall exercise imminent domain over any and all recovered technologies of unknown origin and biological evidence of non human intelligence that may be controlled by private persons or entities in the interests of the public good. And then back to Chris's message here, regardless of aliens, we might look back in history and consider how certain laws regarding matters of national security are interpreted and enforced, even if UAPs are not real or aliens are not visiting US. If this law passes, it may have very important use to the US government. With the correct broad interpretation, perhaps this law could be used to force companies doing business on US soil to turn over any AI developed by a foreign government or by another generative or self improving AI system which may be considered to be a non human intelligence. A non human intelligence may simply be quote any AI, chatbot, etc. Regardless of actual levels of intelligence or ability. We might imagine further legislation in the near future that also allows the same imminent domain of non human intelligence, regardless of source. I think this phrase will be very important in future legislation and used to ensure that the US government can take over any AI system of sufficient capability or concern. Best regards Chris.
Speaker 2: That's a lot to think about.
Speaker 3: That's an interesting point regarding the idea that the real purpose of the testimony is to try to force government agents to disclose any knowledge they have of any knowledge and any evidence they have of contact with aliens, alien technology, alien bodies, whatever. I feel like this is something where I hope like skeptics and UFO enthusiasts can be on the same page about because I mean, obviously, I think if the government had alien bodies and alien ships and all that they should be open about that, I would be in favor of transparency. Nobody with good faith wants to cover up. At the same time, I think I would acknowledge that while we're probably on the same page about that, if they don't actually possess anything like that, which I think is probably what's most likely the case. Then all they could say is, well, we don't actually have anything like that, weren't able to find it, in which case the UFO enthusiasts can always just say, you know, aha, see the cover up continues. So I don't know that's tricky, but I certainly do favor transparency.
Speaker 2: I feel like I've enough science fiction and horror and read enough science fiction and horror though that I can think of numerous scenarios in which I would be like, Okay, cover up, great idea, let's do that. That truth is too horrible, Like yeah, I'm not even gonna spitball any any of the ideas here, but you know, you can just think of various scenarios in which like, oh, oh, it's much worse than we thought. The public is just better off not knowing this.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I mean, I wonder if there's like kind of snow crash type scenario where knowledge of the aliens entails like the activation of a virus in our brains that would just cause all of our heads to melt or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just you know, some Lovecraftian revelation about the nature of the outer cosmos, and it's just too much to bear, or it's just like you know, it's instant event horizon territory to really know what's up, I don't know. I can think of scenarios. I can dream up scenarios of varying degrees of ridiculousness that that make a cover up sound like a good idea.
Speaker 3: Well, event horizon scenarios aside, we will need eyes to see where we're going, and so I do think transparency is by and large good, so we can agree on that. If there actually is evidence, I do want it revealed.
Speaker 2: Yes, I will agree transparency is good, but I have various anxiety written caveats to them.
Speaker 3: Regarding your other point about this kind of legislation having secondary effects about other types of quote intelligence like AI, I mean, in one sense, I think, well, that's interesting, and I appreciate those thoughts. Though I would also think, like, if we're going to have a legislation like that, I would prefer it to be like really targeted at that, so that like there's no ambiguity in how the law should be interpreted, Like you know, we should have very clear, well thought out targeted regulations of the development of AI, not trying to like use a law of meant for something else to kind of like wiggle over into that space too. Be my men.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I see what you mean, Like we need to have clear laws to deal with AI, and you should have to have it all hinge on a broad interpretation of a UFO Act.
Speaker 3: But finally to come back to your original point and again on the agreement. If the truth is out there, I want it revealed. Yeah, bring it on.
Speaker 2: All right. At this point, I think we have time for just one listener mail from the Weird House Cinema category, so I'm just gonna read it. I'm gonna read a quick one here. This one comes to us from Adrian. Adrian writes, Hey, guys, love the show. Just listen to your episode on the Chronicles of Riddick. I love the Riddick universe. I just wanted to ask how you mentioned the actor column Fior and some of his movies, but you didn't mention how he had a prominent role in the movie Titus, which you mentioned in a Weird House Cinema a couple of weeks ago. Sorry, I forget which episode. After you brought up Titus, I found it on an eBay and acquired it watched it three days ago. That would be a great movie to feature on Weird House.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen Titus in many years, but I remember loving it. That's the one directed by Julie Taymoor that has Anthony Hopkins as as the title character as Titus. But that's also got a great cast all around. It's got Jessica Lang, It's got Alan Cumming as the villain as Emperor Saturnine. Uh yeah, it's it's a good one though. It's it is uh, you know, weirdly. It's a weird thing to caution about a Shakespeare play, but it is incredibly violent.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, it's also interesting kind of a historical note. The one of the co executive producers on it was Steve Bannon.
Speaker 3: What Yeah, Okay, that's odd.
Speaker 2: But still yes, a very beautifully weirdly rendered film. I hadn't been thinking about Titus specifically, but I have now and again thought we should do a weird adaptation of Shakespeare at some point or another. There are so many, there's so many good ones, you know, there's so many weird takes on Shakespeare. Some I like, some I don't like. But there's always something worth talking about.
Speaker 3: There I would be very into that.
Speaker 2: So, Hey, shakespeare fans, let us know what your favorite weird adaptations of Shakespeare are and we'll throw them in the hat for consideration.
Speaker 3: That's a great idea. I do like Shakespeare that has kind of cheeky anachronisms in it, though from what I recall, the anachronisms in Taymor's Titus are mainly in the framing narrative, Like at the beginning, it's showing like a young child sort of like playing with toy soldiers and stuff, and this represents the battle that sets up the plot in which you know, at the beginning of the story, Titus is coming home victorious from a military campaign with prisoner of war, including the Tamara, the queen of the Goths, I think, and that's that's Jessica Lang's character. But after that, while it is a very great looking and visually striking kind of at least like textually weird movie, it is mostly I think, set within an ancient Roman millieu. It doesn't have weird technology running all around. There is another Shakespeare adaptation that I do remember being anachronistic in a way that I liked, which is the Oh, what's it the Ian McKellen version of Richard the Third, where oh yes, he plays Richard the Third and it's got Jim Broadbent is Buckingham.
Speaker 2: That's a really good one. Yeah. I was fond of that one back in the day.
Speaker 3: But it's set in like a World War One kind of context.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that was great. There are various adaptations of Macbeth that I love. I mean, I love the old seventy one Macbeth. I of course love a Curra Crissaw was Thrown of Blood and even though the more recent one, Joe Cohen's twenty twenty one adaptation, The Tragedy of McBath is wonderful and has some tremendously weird choices in it.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen that yet, I should have. I love Francis McDorman, so yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's great in it. Everybody's great. Wonderful cast, wonderful, weird cast that one, because you also have you have some expected names popping up, but then you also have like Brian Thompson showing up as one of the murderers, who many of you would remember from He's been in a lot of b movies. He played Shao Khan in one of the live action Mortal Kombat films, a big muscle guy. He's not the kind of fella earlier on in his career that you would have thought, Oh, this guy's doing Shakespeare at some point. But he's a small role, but he's great in it.
Speaker 3: You weak, pathetic fools. Your souls are mine, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Yeah. He was also one of the punks in The Terminator.
Speaker 3: Okay, I gotta see that now.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, we're gonna go and close up the mail bag now, but yeah, right in, we'd love to hear from him if you have thought. It's on past, current and future episodes Stuff to Blow your Mind, Weird House, Cinema, Artifact, Monster Fact, other episodes, a listener mail. It's all fair game. Yeah, right in, we'd love to hear from you. Next listener mail will occur on the next Monday in the cycle.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio for more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.