Speaker 1: Warning today's episode Kittain's spoilers for Daredevil Born Again the January sixth finale.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I's never gonna watch ja.
Speaker 1: Hello, it is Jason up and I'm Rosie Night And welcome back to the extra vision of the podcast. When we dive deep in, you're very Roe's movies, comics of popcornk and company. Remind our podcast we're the episodes of West News.
Speaker 3: In today's episode, we are recapping episode two. Oh wait, it is the finale. It is the Dead Devil January sixth episode as it will surely forever be known.
Speaker 2: And of course then we will be discussing.
Speaker 3: The episode and this season and what it means for the MCU and where we think it's going to go and all that good stuff.
Speaker 2: But first we got to get into it. We've got to be recapping.
Speaker 1: Darnovil Born Again the finale. Karen and Matt in a flashback, walking around the streets, walking around the streets.
Speaker 2: Having a good time. Beta days. It's better days.
Speaker 1: They're enjoying it. They're enjoying the streets of it looks like the.
Speaker 2: Where is it?
Speaker 1: I mean, it's got to be Hell's kitchen, Although it looks like they never leave. Yeah, Karen is still on trial, of course, and mcdushy, she's just.
Speaker 3: Like maladaptive daydreaming her way through the trial.
Speaker 2: Rea, this is associating. Yeah, she's like, what if I's just on a date with Matt now and not being tried for.
Speaker 1: Being a bit Indian food and then and then I just kill someone and then we have sex.
Speaker 2: Right, that's like her dream day.
Speaker 1: McDuffie's waiting for map but he's late for court because he recently got shot. Oh okay, and now we can say Jones is patching up his legs.
Speaker 2: No night nurse.
Speaker 3: If they were going to pull out a clare, it would have been here, I know.
Speaker 2: But you know what, all good. We love to see Jessica Jones. Glad she's still here.
Speaker 3: We had to wait a long time, but she's doing great and of course she can patch up a leg.
Speaker 1: Jessica Jones wants to know if Matt can stop Fisk, if he's gonna do it, if he you know, can you do it?
Speaker 2: Can you do it?
Speaker 1: And Matt is like, well, I know Fisk is waiting to get me in his sights, and so there's gonna be a showdown. Buck goes to see the Mayor and he tells him that sadly, not only did Dan not deliver up Bebee, but and then he gives them this kind of like very charged buck face look, and Fisk knows that Dan is no more. Fisk is disappointed in Dan not having the juice, and he's just pointed that Matt is still alive, and so Fisk is like, I want to escalate.
Speaker 3: He's like, just the time to escalate everything else, everything, It's time.
Speaker 2: No one's okay.
Speaker 3: I gotta say, first of all, I there was some reporting this week, guys about how our sweet baby Dan on his Good Boy Redemption arc actually survived originally, and they had even started working on some scenes for him in season three, but then in post production it was revealed that he was dead. I needed to bring this up because in my head canon, this scene is still the same in both versions, but what happened was in the other version Buck couldn't kill him because of that connection, and he has him hidden away in a cabin somewhere and he's gonna like sort of evily torture him into becoming a guy, and BB has to save him, like he's gonna become a made man. But yeah, that's that's my head canon. Sadly he died, rip to my guy. But it's nice to know that they understood that they had something special with Michael and this character.
Speaker 1: Matt Limpson to court this matter is as Heather, his former girlfriend, is testifying. Uh, he immediately because he has superhero This is the subtext.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it's like not they do his powers in a way that we have talked about this in the discorder long it's.
Speaker 1: Like a little bit to really let you know that he's using them, because he comes in and immediately.
Speaker 2: Is like object John just walked in. How does he know that? Because he can fucking hear it.
Speaker 3: He had down in the fuck exactly and he was planning his low.
Speaker 2: He's a bit of a cheat in that way. I'm not gonna lie like he just rolls up late to.
Speaker 3: Stuff, doesn't have to objectis fucking overhearing people.
Speaker 2: But you know what, it's had the Glennen. She's crazy, So it's okay, So they need to they do.
Speaker 1: I feel like they do need to kind of like underline his powers sometime. Anyway, he staggers in, uh, you know, he was recently shot by the task force, but he doesn't talk about that. Hawkmann gets Heather to read and this is crazy, this is evidence. He gets her to read from her like in Psychoanalysis of Vigilantes book, which is like, we're gonna read that into evidence, like that's legitimate evidence.
Speaker 2: This is just promotion for her book. I mean, I'm gonna lieh twenty twenty six coded, I'm not gonna lie. The fuck is this QBC?
Speaker 3: It's life course And they're like, this is how you sell the book. Click caff at twenty percent off.
Speaker 1: And then he's like, okay, no further questions. Then McDuffie asks Heather if is it true that you struck Karen Page, and Heather, because in my mind she's possessed by the spirit of MWS, denies it and is telling the truth because it wasn't her because it was the spirit of news.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Oh shit.
Speaker 1: He's had the glutton Defender, Matt asks car and Matt asks if Karen could be a vigilante if she never wore a mask?
Speaker 2: An interesting question.
Speaker 1: And Heather is like, well she hid behind Daredevil and Matn is like, well, you're hiding behind Fisk. It's a stay of course because crazy. Yeah, Like, come on, a task Force guy sets up is setting up a sniper rifle across from the court, say, aiming right at the steps. This is, by the way, how they killed Captain America in the comics right after the Civil War. And it's there's a whole sniper's nest up there with a bunch of task force guys and he's also dressed as Bullseye sniper.
Speaker 2: How dang you stolen vala of my son?
Speaker 1: How dare But so, what is the plan? He's gonna do it and then like jump out the window and be like it's me Bullseye and then run away.
Speaker 2: Anything to witness this.
Speaker 3: He hasn't thought this through and he doesn't realize he's like the first Joker in the Joker Planet the beginning of the Dark Knight returns.
Speaker 2: He is like, the task Force guys.
Speaker 3: Are obviously going to shoot him and then be like, hey, we caught Bullseye. He killed he tried to shoot Matt Murdock, Like he's getting sacrificed.
Speaker 2: I think he's just dumb.
Speaker 3: But he's also not Deck, so let's be real this the real Deck finds out, he's not gonna be happy.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Matt calls Wilson Fisk.
Speaker 2: These two stand Fisk appears.
Speaker 1: The task force files into the courtroom behind Fisk, very intimidating scene. Fisk is, I'm grateful for the opportunity to talk about the Save the Streets.
Speaker 2: I think it's been very, very beneficial.
Speaker 3: I would also say, guys, if this was scary to you, look it up and see that this is once again based on a real life thing. I know that everything is catching up with itself, but this is a real thing that certain groups of people do when other parts of their groups are put on trial for things.
Speaker 1: Cops do they the time they show up when a when someone who is at least in New York, this is what they do when someone's charged with like shooting a cop. When they do the purp walk like into the into the precinct house to like charge them or take them to and from court, there's always like five hundred cops on either side just there staring. Meanwhile, Dex is up in the sniper's nest and he's taking these guys out.
Speaker 2: I told you he's not gonna be happy as flattery, guys, not flattery.
Speaker 1: He goes to the sniper's rifle and he's preparing to take a shot at someone. Fisk says, savor streets was necessary, and this is where it gets really personal, because of the deaths of number one, Foggy, your friend who died because of vigilant mask vigilante violence. Kind of true, true, but I think we're cherry picking our evidence here.
Speaker 2: And also Vanessa my wise outside.
Speaker 3: Yesterday Wilson fisks, so that has nothing to do with any event, and.
Speaker 1: The dozens of victims of Muse who the police was unable to stop for a long after run of muses killing.
Speaker 3: It's literally like draining people's blood in the sUAS.
Speaker 1: That's why Karen needs to go away, Fisk says, And by and by the way, that doesn't even make sense. I don't even understand how that lines up. Anyway, Fisk says, the streets are safer now, and go look at the stats.
Speaker 2: They back me up.
Speaker 1: Matt tries to talk about the task force kidnapping people off the street, random people, regular people. Matt points out that despite safer streets, Dexter who once worked for you, is that not true? Mayor Fisk publicly killed his wife and did he not kill her with a crystal Wilson fisks memorial Boston.
Speaker 2: Arapith. Not enough is being made of that, guys.
Speaker 1: So Matt asks Fisk to define the difference between a vigilante and a villain, and this is this is also not evidence, this is but whatever. This is a crazy courtroom scene. Matt brings up the Northern Star, that all the guns on the Northern Star and the freeport charter, which says that there's.
Speaker 2: No laws there.
Speaker 1: He of course, is not able to enter this into evidence because this whole tribunal is fucking rigged and the objection objection, objection, and the judges are letting them get away with it. Matt then asks if it was Daredevil that sunk the Northern Star.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Yes, Daredevil says, this whole court is out of order, rigged by people who worked for you, And then Matt puts Christophe's testimony by video into the evidence objection. They go to chambers. Fisk whispers that he's ready to ruin Matt's life, sitting you know, like still on the stand, and he's like whispering because I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Life, I'm gonna fuck you up.
Speaker 3: It's kind of it's kind of again, very horny moments like very queid, fucking ruin you. I'm gonna kill you, kill you, motherfucker, I'm gonna ruin your life.
Speaker 2: Matt is able to basically.
Speaker 1: The judge, the one judge is like, I guess I got I led it into evidence, like I'm being as crooked.
Speaker 2: As like, and so they put it in an evidence.
Speaker 1: In the tape, Christoph says that Fisk ordered him to scuddle the ship. Uh oh, Now Hawkman is panicking. He objects and says that unless someone who was on the boat testifies in court, it doesn't count.
Speaker 2: Boom, the governor walks into court. She's still alive. What Fisk is like? Uh oh? Buckets failed me for the first time.
Speaker 3: Uh oh.
Speaker 1: Matt then asked Fisk about the weapons and the scuttling of the boat, and Fisk does a hold, you can't handle the truth type of thing. You don't get to know about the port and by the way, the city is thriving.
Speaker 2: How dare you questioned me?
Speaker 1: Matt says, Daredevil was on the boat and guess what dared Evil's gonna testify to the guns Canny Fisk and Karen. Karen's jaw is like sitting with her lawyer and mcduvey. Karen's jaw drops and her.
Speaker 2: Eyes go wide. She's like, oh my god, he's gonna do it, and he doesn't, idiot, and he.
Speaker 1: Goes Daredevil, buy your own testimony was on that boat and by Christoph's testimony, and he can't testify to what happened here, as aj as a toorney, gentlemen, Hawkman said, is the only way to get this evidence in and he can't testify to that right now because I am Daredevil and you fucking know that shit.
Speaker 2: Fisc is so stressed, he's so so.
Speaker 1: And they're like the first reaction is a gasp, and then the next reaction is like, okay, mister, mister fucking blind the time.
Speaker 2: Blind guy, you can't get me a break.
Speaker 1: So then he takes his cane and he takes a Billy Club attachment off, flinging around the room.
Speaker 2: He goes like, pinging around.
Speaker 3: Can I just say if I'm if I'm mcduffy, I'm standing up right now. This is a mistrial, Like what's going on? Just let my client go?
Speaker 4: It's a Shitnanigans like, boys, fucking is that fucking.
Speaker 2: New York's got talent? Go away like this is a fucking cob lor.
Speaker 1: Let's go to a break.
Speaker 2: And we're back.
Speaker 1: The judge finally feeling like there's gonna be a story in this courtroom drama that's not gonna be about me, and I have the opening now and the secure a ready to like get this off my plate, goes Karen Pages with prejudice goodbye.
Speaker 3: No dude, we have to talk about I pointed out as well, like we have to talk about one of the.
Speaker 2: Funniest moments where where Pale's like, oh shit, the blood Lily is dead evil.
Speaker 4: And he looks like really happy, but then you're like and then everyone in the discorded, like you know, and then he's pointing out as we like, why is Powell always so surprised, Like didn't Matt beat his fucking ass in the apartment in season one?
Speaker 2: Like why are you surprised? Burn? Like you should have been the one who got to he's dumb, you know, but.
Speaker 1: Maybe his ass got maybe he got his bell got so rung in that moment, like it's like a football hits, like there were he doesn't know, he doesn't like really remember what happened because he got so fucking concussed during that anyway. The judge is like, mad, I'd like you to stay behind.
Speaker 2: We need to discuss.
Speaker 1: The governor says that. The announces to the press at the Attorney General. The state attorney General is filing charges against Fisk. His assets, all his assets have been.
Speaker 2: Frozen, and.
Speaker 1: The state is taking control of the freeport. That's it, no lawless pirate ports.
Speaker 2: They were so fun though. They were so fun. Also, the guy that you sent to kill me is going to testify. Uh uh.
Speaker 1: Fisk and Matt walk out of court together. Dex is up in the snipersest he's ready to shoot. Bullseye shoots bucking the guts and there's a big, big shootout from there on.
Speaker 3: Did he do that because he like didn't really care if he got him or not, Like, was he just shooting for fun?
Speaker 2: I feel like bulls ain't never misses, this seems I think he was.
Speaker 1: He was just like I think this was Matt's plan, because remember Matt was like, you can help me, but you can't kill even though.
Speaker 2: Okay, I like that.
Speaker 3: I like this is his moral this is my son's good borrow compass coming through.
Speaker 2: He's trying to walk out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like you can help me, but you can't. You just can't kill. So he gut shots buck. Buck is off the board. Big shootout. Now there's chaos in the court. People have to retreat back in the building for safety. Fisk in his inner circle hold up in the courtroom with the Task Force standing guard, like outside the room and outside the building. Matt is up in the judges chambers. Fisk then, because the press is there, I remember, He's like, I'm gonna address the city. He addresses the city from the courtroom. He says, there's been a attack. I'm declared a state of emergency. The vigilangy lovers are gathering to take this city from us.
Speaker 2: I will not leave office.
Speaker 1: And he promises like he's not gonna step down. Then we get a mayor kingpin mask broadcast. It's Babie, but she does it in her own voice this time, and she talks about the task Force, how they're doing all these crimes, kid having people, killing people, extra judicial murders, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Accuses Fisk publicly of killing.
Speaker 1: Daniel or ordering the trey killing of her good friend Daniel.
Speaker 2: It's time to take the city back, she says.
Speaker 1: The people of the city who are pro Dared Devil rise up. They're wearing their Dared Devil masks.
Speaker 2: D Devil January six. It's top. This is a well the masks thing is a comic book. That's a big comic book thing. Yeah.
Speaker 1: They all go to the courthouse along with the gen X Cops, the gen X good cops you know, playing Pearl jam and Neirvanda on the way, exactly like Fisk tells the task Force, if you see Karen Page and Matt, you shoot to kill. I don't give a fuck. I'm a fucking gun them down. Yeah, don't let them leave the building. The task Force is getting nervous because, like people, really, there's a huge crowd outside. But they but they hold the line. They go to get Matt and carried up in the judges uh chambers. There's a big, big fight. McDuffie, Karen Page and the Governor stay inside and Karen can get out there and she can get active, but she doesn't want to, while Daredevil and Jessica Jones and her Fritzy Powers go out there to fight and they're throwing guys all around with all the Devil supporters outside meanwhile, including Angela.
Speaker 2: Yes, our favorite tiny murderer. What's she up to? How many people did she kill tonight? Let's not count on.
Speaker 1: Jerry tries to get the task forced to surrender. He's like, come on, guys, like.
Speaker 2: What are you doing that?
Speaker 1: If it's crazy, what do ye?
Speaker 2: Let's have it, you know.
Speaker 1: The Attorney General calls Fisk to basically be like, what the fuck are you doing? Fisk just click hangs up. Powell, meanwhile, is going full Captain ahab out.
Speaker 2: On the deck of this. He's fucking mutiny on the bounty. He's losing it.
Speaker 1: He's like, kill them all and dredge their blood, fucking on the streets, fucking blow their brains out. Finally, his second in command, Scarred Cop, comes to his senses for once, and by the way, that's not good enough. I still want him up on charge.
Speaker 2: It's it's call it, but.
Speaker 1: We'll take this under advisement when you do go a little bit to trial, but regardless, you've committed a lot of crimes. Whatever. He does, knock out Powell, and everything seems like it's gonna be kind of diffused or better. But then all the pro Daredevil people charge into the courthouse and it's Daredevil January sixth.
Speaker 2: It's happening the.
Speaker 3: Way to end this season of this show, like just an insane time to be alive. Also, have you been wondering why Heather was practicing that gripple season, Well, you know you're about to find out.
Speaker 2: She's ready.
Speaker 1: She gets Attorney General Hawkman is, as as we've seen, has been very weird towards Heather.
Speaker 2: He deserves everything he gets.
Speaker 1: It's it's very sexual harassment, fee coated the way.
Speaker 2: He speaks to her.
Speaker 1: And then finally she is just like lets the spirit of muse flow through her, and she fucking crushes his wind pipe and then takes the super takes his jacket off, his his his steadily stiffening and cooling corpse, and puts it around Buck her book.
Speaker 2: That's where that's true love, Guys. I don't care whatever happens next. I'm rooting for these two.
Speaker 3: Crazy It's like everything's going to ship, guys, at least these.
Speaker 1: Two psychopaths fout Heather and Buck.
Speaker 2: I'm kind of like it. Do that best anyway.
Speaker 1: Sheila, you know, deputy mayor or deputy you know, chief of staff whatever, gets a call and it's the AG, and the AG is like, listen, when Fisk resigns and leaves the city, we can make this all go away, and that's what we want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if he leaves, if he goes boom, that's it.
Speaker 1: Fisk goes on, it goes to exile, okay, and then it'll be The implication is like a general amnesty for Sheila will be fine. Dan, who nobody knows is dead, is well, they know he's dead now, but like they're like, all right, pizza, that man, you don't drama. Everybody will be fine, Buck, I guess they'll be fine. Fisk orders the courtroom doors open and all the daredevil January six ers start coming in and Fisk starts beating.
Speaker 2: The shit out of them.
Speaker 1: He kills like twenty people with his bare hands, and the wady dude.
Speaker 2: This is so crazy because also this is.
Speaker 3: My man saying like I'm out, like no public office for me, Like I'm just gonna fucking cave a few people's heads in with my hands and break their best energy them over throwing off the second floor, like lots of suplexing, lots of fane breaking Batman full head like being bashed into the floor.
Speaker 1: It's just like insane. How many people he kills with his bare hands. Crazy and I have to say shouts to the courageousness of the Daredevil January Sixers because they never stopped.
Speaker 2: They never stopped, They just went for it. They were best.
Speaker 1: So like a dozen of their compatriots get turned into apple sauce and they're still like, let's try and get this guy. Meanwhile, Crazy Jessica Jones, Daredevil, and that little white Tiger are fighting from the other side of the building, but a little like tiger throwing people around. Daredevil and his January Sixers now face down Fisk and it's a big showdown on the steps and the and the interior like lobby of the courthouse. Oh yeah, And Jessica Jones and Daredevil are fighting our way up to Fisk where he's like up there like crushing skulls and they're trying to get the mob to get away from Fisk. And then Matt, of course, mister fucking when they go low we go, Hi is like stop it.
Speaker 2: We're better than this. I'm like, Matt, We're not. We are not better than this.
Speaker 3: This is so funny to me as well, because this is this whole sequence is like so Mamdani Trump Codd nowadays too.
Speaker 2: I'm just like, what the fuck? How is this so relatable to real life? This is so insane.
Speaker 1: So Matt says, listen, it's over for both.
Speaker 2: Of us to Fisk. But you know what's the one thing that pulls us together. We love New.
Speaker 1: York love, we love the city, we love the China Town dog. And he's like, take the deal. Fisk, Like, well, let's just both leave town and that's it. We can give the city what it needs, peace and fiscals. Like, okay, you're right, crazy, like just still people.
Speaker 2: Actually, He's like, wait, you had a friend in a blood frenzy.
Speaker 4: Maybe like that is that might be why he accepted gild escaped Chip.
Speaker 2: And then I'm like, you know what, You're right, let's just bye God to me. Bye Gods.
Speaker 3: So, actually, like an amnesty sounds pretty good. Right now, you're saying anything I've.
Speaker 4: Done doesn't count pirate chata illegally, you know, gun running, killing twenty civilians.
Speaker 2: Just now, I'm okay to just go and like be your next ol. I'm cool with that. Okay, Yeah, pretty smart move on his pop.
Speaker 1: We returned to the kind of idyllic scenes of Karen's disassociation. When after sometime after unclear how long after the Daredevil January sixth riot and the deaths of twenty citizens of New York and others, Karen Page and Man are having dinner at the Indian restaurant and they're both like so relieved it's over. They get to live a normal life now, even though everybody knows he's Daredevil and just you know whatever, do court cases and like have sex. But then they're sirens coming from outside, and of course he has heard them since they left the station late.
Speaker 2: He's heard them far. He knew they were coming. This was his last night lost supper.
Speaker 1: Trying to ignore it, you know, maybe get in a little smooch, little little cuddling before they've fucking come. But it's too late. They're here, and Matt is arrested for the crimes of Daredevil, and they're like a montage.
Speaker 2: I actually hadn't.
Speaker 3: Thought about that, And it's quite a smart twist to put him off the table, because you'd been predicting like one or either of them would be like one or both, you'd be off the table. Very interesting to see that exactly where we end off, but in an unexpected way.
Speaker 1: I agree, and I do think I wonder if they're gonna go with well, I'll let me say everything. Yea, we get him on touch Luke Cage, I come home hugs his.
Speaker 2: Daughter had to talk about that, I know, how fun.
Speaker 1: And by the way, very clear that Mike. This was the last second thing. And Mike didn't get to work out for you.
Speaker 2: He didn't get to bow up.
Speaker 1: They didn't get to buck up. They just have him in layers and layers of like hoodies.
Speaker 2: This is like evil. He's still an evil Frame, not Luke Cage. Frame.
Speaker 1: BB gets some of Ben's stuff from the Bugle, like his old articles, a box of his old stuff, which is by the way, Ben, You're like, why didn't he why didn't we give this stuff to BB?
Speaker 2: Before?
Speaker 1: Luke is you know, Jessica Jones is like where you've been? And Luke is like, you know, he can't say he's like doing black jobs in Syria.
Speaker 2: You don't want to know what he was doing.
Speaker 1: So he's like, I can't talk about it, but let's just say work was different over there, which kind of means like I've been assassinating.
Speaker 3: Yes, he's been horribly assassinating people to destabilize other countries.
Speaker 2: I've been I've been just like doing murders for the government. And then he says they.
Speaker 1: Found someone else like I would. Basically, I resigned and they found somebody else to take my place, and that person is Dex.
Speaker 3: Yes, I love this twist so much because one, I'm sorry, I'm not gonna lie. Whatever issues you have with Luke Cage or whatever, He's not really like he's a hero fire.
Speaker 2: He's not so much like a killer fire. He does kill people, but.
Speaker 3: Like I just don't I think Dex is a better fit basically as well.
Speaker 2: I agree, somebody who loves to.
Speaker 3: And he can kill for a good reason, just put him on a mission he needs like a hyperfixation, you know.
Speaker 1: And loves to kill. But my only thing is that if Dex is the replacement, that really does mean Luke's been killing That's.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying. How many that's horrific?
Speaker 4: Like to think when they said, oh they found someone new, I was like, okay, But mister Charles and Dex is like a powerful combination together, so I'm interested to see what happens there.
Speaker 1: JJ and Luke embrace, but we know they have a it's a complicated relationship. Matt goes to jail, oh and he sees all the fucking task Force bitches. This is, by the way, not the first I love Matt in jail.
Speaker 2: Me too. We love it. He's always doing great. I love love.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite bits of any street level New York centric vigilante superhero, whether it's to Punisher, Daredevil, or spider Man, is when.
Speaker 2: They go to jail.
Speaker 1: I love when yeah, Heather officially becomes mused too off the mask on everything I know.
Speaker 3: I'm like, whether there's ruby earrings, babe, dress it up a bit, come on.
Speaker 1: And then we see Kingpin in a peacoat a beautiful coat on the beach somewhere, and I think, like in the comics, it's gonna be like southern Italy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, someone for sure. I think you're right.
Speaker 1: Let's go to a break and we'll be back.
Speaker 2: And we're back. We're okay.
Speaker 1: We were right about a lot of things. Our death, our death to no eron today sadly, but our death list I think was mostly correct. Yes, well, I'm very sad to see Powell survive, unless he died a brave lead.
Speaker 2: From that of the block. Wish sadly, I think Powell.
Speaker 3: I think I was probably right from when we recorded the last episode, which is I think that Powell is probably gonna have to get killed by Frank or Karen. I think that would be it has to be like a full circle. But I also like your idea that he could become a villain because, as we can see clearly, this leaves us with.
Speaker 2: A power vacuum in New York's crime scene. I'm also interested to see whether they're going.
Speaker 3: To try and keep it street level for the next season, or if they are going to try and up the stakes and add another higher level villain, because if you think about it, like muse, yeah, I'm sure we'll see her popping around.
Speaker 2: I'm sure she'll be up to something, but we're.
Speaker 3: Not in a situation where the MCU is gonna make her the full antagonist of the third.
Speaker 2: Season, you know.
Speaker 3: So I think we really need to know what's going to go there to be able to work out, because otherwise there's not that many loose ends. They've done quite a good job of tying them up this season. So I'm interested to kind of see where we go next. But this is a very fun and crazy and silly finale, and I love that in the end it was just Matt and Wilson agreeing, which is so much of this show. Actually, it's like them having a little secret meeting and it's like, guys, just go to couples therapy, like you would save the city billions in damages, Like, come on.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's gonna be the toll is going to be insane. Okay, So let's talk about where we end up. Matt is under arrest and everybody knows that his about his secret life is Dared Double or do they What do you think.
Speaker 2: The plot for season three will be?
Speaker 1: I have I'm on record as predicting that I think they'll do some version of Iron Fist or somebody as Dared Devil in order to like have Matt. I guess Matt will just say that I lie under oath or certainly are line at Cornet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't really me. I just needed to get him put in prison. Yeah, what do you think is gonna happen? I do so. I think they're gonna have him live with it.
Speaker 3: I think that from what we saw, they're probably gonna have the Task Force try and kill him in prison or something. I think we're gonna get some sick prison fights. We've gotten a couple of those quite legendarily.
Speaker 2: I think this gives us.
Speaker 3: A chance to follow other characters, which I don't know if people will love, but I do think that as seeing as we're about to have, you know, punishat Spider Man and I had always talked about the fact that there is a chance with Spider.
Speaker 2: Man and the Hand and everything that that could connect.
Speaker 3: And Ian had a really good thought, which was that because we know the Hand are going to be in Spider Man, maybe they are going to be in season three, but we could see something like Spider Man trying to break Matt out of prison or something like that, and maybe we start to get those crossovers coming that other way too.
Speaker 2: I think that we're in a really interesting situation because.
Speaker 3: The reality is that they've been so successful, in my opinion, at translating the ground level, street level stuff, that they could keep doing it. But I think that because we know the rest of the Defenders are going to come back, we know that that's been leaked, we've seen that Luke is back. At the end of this, I do think that we're going to be looking at a sort of like hero Less rodderlus New York Hell's Kitchen where the defenders have to come back together because Matt's in jail. And then what I want to know is why I feel like they can't do fullhand for season three Dead Evil. It's been done too much in the Netflix stuff. So again, for me, it's all about that big bad. Is it gonna be someone under Wilson's command, Is it gonna be Valentina, Is it gonna be someone directly connected to the comics, Is.
Speaker 2: It gonna be a different Dead Levilville? And obviously we know I like the weirdest stuff like type with.
Speaker 3: Mary and stuff like that, but I just feel like when we see Spider Man brand new day, we're gonna have a better idea. Though I do think as long as they keep Karen and Frank at the forefront, people won't miss Matt too much until probably like halfway through the season. That's kind of what I feel like we're gonna be at is like him in jail for probably half the season, and then the rest of the New York kind of dealing with him being in jail and what that.
Speaker 2: Means for the city, and then whatever Wilson's planning.
Speaker 1: I love that now, Wilson. When this happened in the comics, we got a kind of a plot B plot Matt dealing with his secret identity being out on the street, and then Wilson being dealing with being out of power. He does like the classic, you know, Frankenstein in the village thing where he falls in love with a woman, but of course, like his old enemies catch up with him and kill her and then he has to go. He does like a like a.
Speaker 2: Skyfall style like kill all the assassins who come to kill me type thing, and then he decides to take the power back.
Speaker 1: How involved do you think Wilson's going to be? I think that they will probably do something like that where we really delve into like who is the Kingpin? How did he become who he is? Will get like his abusive upbringing, and then we'll kind of it'll be like a little bit of a redemption arc sort of, but it'll be the Kingpin deciding to return to New York like truly as what he always should have been, which is kingpin of crime.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I really like that if you think about what's been working Impressedige superhero shows recently. Think about the Penguin even outside of superheroes, right, think about like white Lotus, this kind of lavish, how the other side lives machinations. I think about how powerful the episode of the Penguin is.
Speaker 2: I think it was.
Speaker 3: Episode four where we see Sophia really get her like revenge on the family and take over on the family, and it's one of.
Speaker 2: The coolest, like craziest sequences.
Speaker 3: I feel like if I watch something like that, I'd be like, and I was working on this show, I'd be like, Yeah, I want to do Wilson Fisk as the Godfather. I want to do Wilson Fisk in a massive Venetian mansion ordering people about falling in love and yeah, like you said, then you know, once again choosing to go back and sort of learning, like taking what he's learned with him back to New York to take on that roll as the kingpin of crime, which can then allow him to be like he is in the.
Speaker 2: Comics, a sometime ally sometime antagonist. One more, and then let's talk about some of the reactions to this season.
Speaker 1: I what do you think happens with those crazy kids bucking Heather? I think they become a I think they become a psycho sexual vigilante duo like crime. I don't think Heather as music will be a psycho psychotic killer. You don't think she's yelling anyone in the same way that I think she will kill bad guys. I think she'll be like a bad guy killer and a like an a an abuser, domestic abuser killer. Like that's how she's going to be like that, Yeah, kind of like.
Speaker 2: With Buck is like her.
Speaker 1: Her like physical muse, you know, like the reason she doesn't maybe like he gets involved something.
Speaker 3: You can help out clean up. You know, he's good at that kind of side of things too. I absolutely love that idea. Also, again, I do like the idea of Wilson and Matt being out of the picture for a little bit, giving us time to explore, like what happens with beebe, Like is she gonna be working as a real journalist?
Speaker 2: How does she survive?
Speaker 3: Is Wilson going to try and take her down, seeing as she was a huge part of him being taken down? Like how does she deal with the girl over Dan? Like what happens to McDuffie Now Matt's in jail? Like I know most people maybe don't care about all those things, but I'm interested to see them explore and i think it will be interesting to see it in the lead up to this kind of like earth shattering event with Doomsday. So yeah, I'm also just interested in general in the kind of like focus on family and kids. I don't think it's a coincidence that they have introduced another child into the MCU here with a superheroic family. I think that's gonna be a big focus of Doomsday. There's been a lot of rumors rumbling around around why this version of Doom is coming off. The read is coming off the our universe. Our universe is Tony whoever else, and it is seemingly very much based around family again, so I'm interested to see them leaning into that. I love to see Danny Kacha. I think that's really fun to see it from the comics. But it does lean into that trend again of sort of every superhero in the MCU having a family having a kid, and that being a main theme going into Doomsday.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the readings. So according to Iluminite Illuminate, which is so illuminate, I feel like we need to provide the context here obviously with streaming, Yes, nobody knows what the fuck the readings are.
Speaker 2: No anybody, we're all being lies to our old times.
Speaker 1: At all times. It's a black box Netflix, Disney plus Amazon Prime. They'll tell you this so and so is the most watched the streaming show on our platform and other asterisks in small print, right, but you don't actually know that. Illuminate is a third party panel based measurement. They do it kind of like Nielsen, in which they basically are just like taking other available open source data and asking people like, what are you watching it for?
Speaker 2: How long?
Speaker 1: And they measure it that way. It's indirect, but it's kind of like the way Nielsen used to do it. And according to them, there has been about a fifty percent drop in.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: They're calling it views basically, so people are watching fifty percent less hours of Daredevil season two. Your thoughts on this, and then I'll dig into the I'll dig into the data a little bit because I think it's a little bit. I think the framing is a little dishonest, but I think it's.
Speaker 2: Tough because it's a second season.
Speaker 3: It's also in this very weird space of something we've been talking about a lot, which is like it's incredibly timely, maybe too timely. I think like for us as people living in we found the anti vigilante task for stuff very brutal because we're dealing with that still with ice kidnapping people in LA every single day is still happening. But for some people it feels like it's too far behind, like it's not saying enough, you know, So I think it is really struggling with that.
Speaker 2: I also think that while I have.
Speaker 3: Enjoyed a lot of it and it's kind of comic bookie nature, I can understand that it maybe hasn't had as many like big cliffhangers for people who don't necessarily watch the show or know why it matters that decks, you know, through the knife through the window at the end of the first episode, Like I can imagine why people would drop off. I do feel like this has a potential to be another show like She Hulk or The Acolyte where in two years they're like, well, actually everyone was rewatching it all the time and babah bah bah bah, which is what they've found, which are kind of those long lead data. But yeah, I mean, this doesn't surprise me when this happens to really any show because there's just so much TV.
Speaker 1: So I think that I think that's so of that is the case. A boot dropped off because he just doesn't have the guts to deal with like real superhero fucking drama. So he had to fucking tap out because he just doesn't have the he doesn't have the spine for it.
Speaker 2: He was like, I'm too scared. I'm too scared.
Speaker 1: I can't get it.
Speaker 2: He had to get out like a coward, flee the sea. Wow, this is crazy.
Speaker 1: But I do think that there is Listen, the the movies are the engine that drives all of this, and I think it.
Speaker 2: Is the best and most important point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Thunderbolts was good but not a hit. And it feels like while it's only been has it been a year?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: A little bit, it was well, there was Thunderbolts and I lost it, and then that was you know, Fantastic FOUM.
Speaker 2: We're kind of in the middle.
Speaker 3: Of Yeah, and so like neither both the hit and the way they needed to right.
Speaker 1: Thunderbolts was good, I think was better than Fantastic Four, but Fantastic four needed to be great, wasn't And so I think that is part of the flattening. I think that there's a world in which if they could have had Brand New Day be the lead into Daredevil's Born in season two, rather than Born Again be the lead into Punishers one shot being the lead into Brand New Day, I think if that would have been reversed, we would have seen a difference here. I also think that, as I said, I think it's a little I think it's a little disingenuous. First of all, Season one was like nine years of excitement, pent up and lead in for that show, right, so people were very, very excited. Season one premiered with a two episode drop. Season two premiered with one episode and five weeks in. Season one had nine episodes available, season two had six. So of course total minutes looks worse. There's literally less like minutes, and that's what they're measuring by, is like minutes and hours, so there's actually a smaller pool of available minutes to watch. So I think that's a little bit disingenuous. The marketing was softer, and now this I think is a strategy because it is so politically charged.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: I think, you know, we remarked on it is like what you saw in the trailers is nothing like it's almost nothing like what the show is.
Speaker 2: The show is.
Speaker 1: Listen, your min always may vary some of the discorder like this like a timu Ice tet. I don't disagree, no, but like I I would love it to be much more, you know, extreme than it is. You know, I would like, yeah, we'd like you know, yeah, we have dreams, dreams. Well, but I think in terms of marketing, I can understand how Disney was kind of in a pickle and on it to kind of like downplay what the show is.
Speaker 3: It is like extremely weird that I would assume again hypothetical guys, but I know this kind of shit.
Speaker 2: I know how this stuff is going down currently.
Speaker 3: I bet they had to have at least one meeting about how to not get the president to tweet about the show. I feel like that is like you have to think about becoming the main character of the Internet because the president tweets about you nowadays, Like that's a legitimate thing that content creators, you know, streamers, whatever, podcasters and also like pr people have to think about, which is insane to continue.
Speaker 1: Let's look at Nielsen ratings, which uses a different open source kind of model based on their old television ratings model than Iluminate does. But season one of Born Again did not crack Nielsen's top ten streaming originals, and neither did season two. All of which is to say she help absolutely did was in the top ten, Miss Marvel, And so what that tells you is, in my opinion, it's not that season two is collapsed. It's both season one. Season one was inflated in terms of the way people discussed it and talked about it, and season two is basically comparable to where season one is. And so to call season two a collapse, I think is not. Both of them were not on the Nielsen top ten. Mm yea, So not a collapse, son, Yeah, I agree. And lastly, and I think most importantly, Disney greenlit season three mm hmm.
Speaker 2: It is something that that they.
Speaker 1: They want it to continue now. I think part of that is they really think that the Punisher, one last kill, push into Spider Man, Brand New Day, into a vent Doomsday will pump you know again, the engine that drives the whole thing will pump up all the properties. But if this was a fucking disaster, there'd be they'd be out on season three. They wouldn't, you know, they wouldn't have to do it.
Speaker 3: We know, like even shows that they won one hundred percent sure on like Shee Holk, et cetera, like they didn't get a second season. But you know what I mean, Like even with those kind of numbers, So there's something here that they are planning for, that they want that makes it worthwhile for them to continue the show.
Speaker 1: So the bottom my bottom line is this, the numbers are real. I'm not I'm not, you know, pushing back on illuminates actual numbers. But I think season two overperformed both because of the way it was measured and because of like nine years of pent up like excitement for it. And season two performed basically settled into what the actual kind of like median level popularity of the show is.
Speaker 2: That's all. It's not a collapse. Yeah, it's like it. And also this is always the way it is with like a news cycle. It's just like how do you frame it right?
Speaker 3: And we know less people are watching Marvel stuff, but more people are watching stuff that allegedly they weren't watching two years ago, like the Acolyte and like Shee Hulk and these kind of longerly data numbers. So yeah, check the data, guys. It's always worth checking. We love to check a little data around it. But I'm excited for that Evil season three. I had Ever Born again season three.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we'll see if a boo can, you know, pull his pants up and get he can.
Speaker 2: Do it, You can do it.
Speaker 3: A Boom's got too much, he's got too much Dune law to know. He doesn't need to waste his time.
Speaker 1: I will say the Dune it is funny books for kids, five page books. No, it is golden times in the valley right now for the dune freaks, like it's amazing.
Speaker 2: We love it, you know, I know. I'm so excited for that.
Speaker 1: Movie, Beautiful Golden Fields of Feu.
Speaker 2: They're eaton for the first time. It's sixty years. Well that's it for this episode of X ray Vision. Thanks for listening. We'll be back this week with more of the boys.
Speaker 3: Bye bye.
Speaker 1: X ray Vision is hosted by Jason Sepsion and Rosie Night and is a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 3: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abu Safar.
Speaker 3: Our producers are common Laurent Dean Jonathan, and Bai wag.
Speaker 1: Our theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator,