Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Madness is back, not just on this show, but March Madness games coming up later today and tonight BYU Bama, Maryland, Florida, Arizona, Duke Arkansas, Texas Tech come up with a pole question, Play the day, stat of the Day, all of that, and it's reopening day. It's not opening day. I'm gonna call it reopening day. Dodgers already played the Cubs in Tokyo, so it's like a soft opening that you'll have. You know, stores will have, a restaurant have a soft opening. It feels like it's a soft opening for Major League Baseball. I'm not sure why they didn't play yesterday and own all day night yesterday instead of competing with March Madness, But what do I know. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. Almost everything on Danpatrick dot com is under twenty dollars. Take advantage of that first hour brought to you by the official walkie talkies of the DP show, Rapid radios instant push to talk, offering national LTE coverage, no subscriptions ever. Business owners can keep in touch with up to two hundred staff members at one time. Go to Rapid radios dot com up to sixty percent off and free shipping.
Speaker 3: We'll talk to Greg Sanke.
Speaker 2: He is the commissioner of the new Basketball Powerhouse Conference, the SEC, while e Zerbiak part of cbs is coverage the March Madness team. He'll join us coming up next hour. Phone calls eight seven to seven three. DP show email address DP at Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 2: If you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app. Your opening day or reopening day odds Dodgers the overwhelming favorites, followed by the Braves, Yankees, Phillies and the Mets. By the way, I have odds on who's going to hit a home run today and Dodge to hit a home run today? Not the guy who is homered on opening day the last five years in a row. Do you guys have any idea who has homered in five consecutive opening days? Anybody Marvin Andrew mccutchey, No, I'm gonna give you credit for that. Random Todd, Alex Bregman, Alex Bregman.
Speaker 4: No, Ronald A.
Speaker 3: Queenya Jr. The third, No.
Speaker 2: Seaton, Michael Trout, No, dang it, he's on the list. The best odds are Aaron Judge, then Tyler O'Neill. Hey, Tyler. Of course he plays for the Orioles. He's homered on opening Day five years in a row. That means he's been in the league for five years at least.
Speaker 5: How about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah day here? Count here here cot back? What stead of the day? Alrighty? A couple other items here so we have opening Day. Lebron James was on full display yesterday on Pat McAfee and then last night had the game winning tip in for the Lakers. He didn't have a good game at least scoring wise, but ten of his thirteen points came in the fourth quarter and including the game winning tip. In NCAA tournament coming up as well. But back to Lebron on Pat McAfee and Lebron unpacked a lot of things. He was on for over an hour. Now, let me take care of sort of the ancillary stuff, because this is what happened, certainly in my line of work. Oh, I would have asked him, Oh, if he comes on this show, I'm gonna okay, he's not coming on your show. He's not coming on this show. Maybe McAfee paid him. You know, Pat has sert done well by paying his guest and he's gotten you know, the publicity back tenfold. But I don't know. Lebron was in Indy. Pat's show was in Indianapolis. I don't know if he said to him, look, i'll give you a million dollars, come in spend an hour. I was at a concert one time for Direct TV justin Timberlake performed. I think they wrote him a check for a million dollars. Hey play for an hour. I mean, that's really what happened yesterday. And Mac has written checks before. Maybe he just said to Lebron, come on in sit down, pay a million dollars.
Speaker 3: I don't know if he did or didn't.
Speaker 2: But and the other people, the other host who are saying, oh, I would have asked, this is who Pat Matt McAfee at. Pat's not trying to be Mike Wallace. He's not trying to be me. He's not trying to be Bob Lee or Jeremy shapp or. He's just a guy who's having a good time making a boatload of money and a lot of headlines.
Speaker 3: That's all.
Speaker 2: Had the offer. Lebron took him up on it, and he had an opportunity to sit down and just let him go. And really, you know, McAfee didn't have to ask many questions because it felt like Lebron had things he wanted to get off his chest. Now I got a lot of things off his chest. But I think he might look back on this and say he got a little loose, especially when he said the draft was possibly rigged when he went to the Cavaliers.
Speaker 6: Listen, man, you know during the lottery drop Cleveland got the number one pick.
Speaker 5: That's that.
Speaker 7: I just don't think that was just keep Lebron home, you know what, Patrick going to the Knicks, you know, Darren rose to the bull. I understand Simon, guys, you know, so you know, I had to make sure that, you know, I had to do my part.
Speaker 2: Okay, First of all, I would say to Pat McAfee's maca Fietz or whatever, don't say anything during an interview. Let Lebron and Pat talk because you're going to ruin good soundbites there. I mean, that would be the one thing I would say as a host to you guys if Lebron said that I don't want you guys chiming in rude. Well, it's just okay, your show whatever. Yeah, it's not whatever. It's not good radio, not good TV. We're there to hear Lebron, not Pat's cohorts. And so that would be one of those where you go, hey, guys, just let Lebron talk. And you know, when you start to look at it, was it rigged?
Speaker 5: It wasn't rigged.
Speaker 2: And I mean, thank god David Stern is not with us any longer because even though he's not the he wouldn't be the commissioner, the acting commissioner. Now you know Adam Silver's now involved in this. Now you brought him in on this. Now all of a sudden, we bring back Patrick Ewing to the Nick. Now we brought in Derek Rose to Chicago. I don't know did they rig it so Victor wimban Yama would go to San Antonio.
Speaker 5: I didn't understand that one somebody wemby to San Antonio and the thing like, why how is that if there was a if this was an SAT test, and they say, which of these is not like the others? Lebron to Cleveland, Derek Rose to Chicago or Victor wiman Yama to San Antonio, that would be the answer, Yes, Paul.
Speaker 4: When I heard Lebron say it, I first read that he said it, and then I heard it. And he doesn't appear to be kidding. Maybe a light poke or something like that. But it does seem a little odd the coincidence that Ewing goes to the NIXT, Lebron stays home and Derek Rose stays home. It seems a bit of coincidental, overly coincidental, And I think that's what Lebron was poking at.
Speaker 2: But do you think the other owners would be in line with this in lockstep and go, yeah, maybe we're fine with this.
Speaker 4: They wouldn't have a choice in the matter. I would never if I were fixing the NBA, I would never alert the owners that I was doing. I'd do it for the best league. I went back and looked at the two thousand and three NBA Draft lottery. Okay, the Cavaliers had a twenty two point five percent chance. That's tied with the Nuggets for the highest chance to win the lottery. This is back when the lottery was very much weighted towards the top three or four teams. Yeah, so they were not a surprise team in any way.
Speaker 2: Cleveland tanked. I mean that's the one thing that happened. They tanked to get Lebron James. Do I think that it's fixed, No, I do not do. I think it would make sense, like if you wanted to send Lebron and you wanted to send him to New York at the time.
Speaker 3: I mean, the Knicks were in the lottery, so yes, he got.
Speaker 2: To stay in Cleveland, but Cleveland made sure they had the best odds to be able to get him.
Speaker 5: Yes, and you know what if you didn't send Lebron to New York and the Knicks, why didn't your rig it? So Carmelo went there instead, he went to Denver. Just send him over to Yeah. I don't think I think Lebron is passive aggressive. I don't think he was kidding. I think he wanted there were a lot of things he wanted to get off his chest. He wanted to get off his chest about the run in with Stephen A.
Speaker 3: Smith.
Speaker 2: He took a shot at Brian wind Horse, which I didn't think that was fair. I got it was just like he was unplugged, which was great for Pat McAfee's show. You got him and you just let him go, and Pat's not necessarily calling you in, you know with Aaron Rodgers, Rodgers would say a lot of things, Pats just letting you go.
Speaker 8: Yes, Marton, Yeah, I'm not sure if it's so much passive aggressive anymore. It just seems I'm saying whatever I want now. So it's not even like a I'm like hinting at this, like him going at Steven a him going at Brian Windhorse like it wasn't I'm I'm insinuating these names now.
Speaker 3: I'm saying these.
Speaker 8: Names like, oh, this this reporter that's reported on me. Know, Brian Windhors thinks he's my friend. He's not my friend, I think ten years ago. Passive aggressive for sure.
Speaker 2: But why now is he saying this about Brian Windhors Because he's wealthy?
Speaker 3: Who Lebron's wealthy?
Speaker 8: This feels like, I'm he's Ben wealthy and I don't care anymore. He's like, I'm in my forties now.
Speaker 2: And then he you know, the media and how they treated his son, and it just felt, I don't know, it was odd, It just was because he normally does a pretty good job He's handled a lot of things brilliantly, But I don't know if he like that. It was an old woe is me or I don't know, just a strange feel that I got. And then then all of a sudden, he decides he's going to talk about how the players of today could play against the players of the sixties and seventies.
Speaker 6: And the game is different, and we should respect all errors in that era. You know, we can't be saying, okay, just because Wilt was great in the sixties and seventies that he'd be great now. And we also can't say that some of the guys now would be great.
Speaker 3: It is what it is. Respect that era and we move on.
Speaker 6: But the whole every single day that he's better, He's not better.
Speaker 3: He wouldn't.
Speaker 6: You're trying to tell me Janis wouldn't be able to play an NBA game in the seventies.
Speaker 5: He wouldn't be able to do.
Speaker 3: It, Yana, would you?
Speaker 6: Ji Jannis ant the Koupo would have two hundred and fifty points in a game in a seventies.
Speaker 2: Okay, See, now you just just disrespected Kareem and Doctor j and all the players who played in the seventies, meanwhy Janni. Jannis would not be Jannis if he was playing in the seventies, he'd be playing with his back to the basket. I mean, it wouldn't be shooting three. He wouldn't be who he is. He wouldn't develop the way he's developed. I mean, the rules back then, how you played back then? Is he getting two hundred and fifty? Well, Kareem didn't get two hundred and fifty. Are you telling me that Jannis would have been better than Kareem back in the seventies.
Speaker 3: And the answer is no. But I don't know why.
Speaker 2: Nobody said Jannis couldn't play back in the seventies. He would have played differently. Lebron would dominate in the seventies. He would be a different player. Yes, he would be great. I mean they how would Larry Bird be today? He might be even better. He'd shoot more threes. Can't put your hand on him. I mean he's six' nine out, there you, know leading the break for them like this is it gets to be silly. Sometimes, yes.
Speaker 5: It seemed though Like lebron's point was comparing air as as stupid and we should stop doing.
Speaker 3: IT i agree with, that But what did he just?
Speaker 2: Do he Said janis would score two hundred and fifty points in the seventies in the.
Speaker 5: Game, YEAH i, MEAN i think he Was he seemed to be joking, About. LIKE i don't think he literally meant he would score two hundred and fifty.
Speaker 2: POINTS i think he was. JOKING i think he's saying that he would. Dominate now the.
Speaker 5: Two fief he would. Dominate he would dominate. Though, no he.
Speaker 3: Would be a completely different.
Speaker 2: Player the evolution of the basketball player has Brought yannis to us in this. Form back, then he would be a center with his back to the. Basket they wouldn't have played like. That, no he's not that kind of. Guy he's a. Perimeter he beats you off the. DRIBBLE i, mean he's a guy who, shoots you, know. THREES i, mean, joker. Joker back in the seventies would have been a back to the basket and he would have been able to play the way he does.
Speaker 5: Now it seems to me that like it's like an odd thing that we do is we have these super athletic guys, right super athletic right, now where they're doing this. Stuff, right he's beating you off the. Dribble he's doing all that. Stuff but if you strip the game down and make it a little more basic and, simple he would fall. Apart he wouldn't be able to play.
Speaker 2: Like, no, no, no it's not that how LIKE I, no he wouldn't be given the. Opportunity he wouldn't handle the, ball he wouldn't be on the. Perimeter coach would, say get down on the. Blocks he might be this Unbel it's Like Patrick ewing At. Georgetown all he does is block, shots. Rebounds he gets to the. Knicks he doesn't block shots and. Rebounds he shoots mid range. Jumpers he got he got the opportunity to do. That John thompson had him as an old fashioned. Center ewing brought the new center into the game or helped usher that.
Speaker 5: In yes, See but if we're saying that we're taking away all of the things that he does well now because he wouldn't have been that type of, player then he would have been trained to be that type of player back. Then so DON'T i just don't know that that requires a skill set that he wouldn't have been able to figure. Out, well he's not.
Speaker 2: Dominating giannis would not dominate in the, seventies would he be An All. Star i'm sure he, would but he would not be he's so skilled now because they've trained him to be. Skilled, now they allow him to play on the, perimeter they allow him to take. Three they would never let that.
Speaker 9: Happen.
Speaker 2: Never coaches would never allow that to. Happen they just wouldn't because they were, stuck you know in that time period of this is how you. Played you, know you're down on the, blocks you rebound block, shots you know you get a little jump hook in there or follow up, rebound whatever it.
Speaker 3: Is BUT i, mean.
Speaker 2: Those are things he couldn't have been trained to. Do he can be trained to do those. Things what Makes giannis great now would not be used in the. Seventies it wasn't used in the. Seventies he would just be a back to the basket big. Man they would not, say, hey lead the, Break hey shoot, threes even though they didn't have threes back. Then they'd be, like stay down. Low there were a lot of great big men in the seventies because they wanted to have big men in the. Seventies you had to have a big man in the. Seventies BUT i Maybe lebron's joking a little bit, There BUT i think the point he's making, is let's not compare, generations Which i'm all. For i'm all in favor of doing, that but it. Happens it happens WHEN Jj reddick, says, yeah who are they playing? Against you, know plumbers and. Electricians, okay that doesn't. Help they played against who they played. Against it's not, like, man where is? Everybody nobody's good around? Here we get caught up in. That BUT i you, Know lebron had a lot of things to, say a lot of things to get off his, chest you, know the STEPHEN. A smith, thing and then you know that's going to. Continue Steven a is going to have things to. Say and now all of a, sudden Steven a's talking about you, know If lebron put his hands on, him then Steven a is going to take us, like what are we?
Speaker 3: Doing, yeah what are we? Doing, well, yes Marm but WHAT.
Speaker 8: I Think lebron was saying was if you drop them off as they are right. NOW i think that's What lebron was, saying not if they were trained that way that they were trained in this.
Speaker 2: Seventies, WELL i, know but that's silly to say of course they would be Dominating. Jannis they would look At yannis, like wait a, minute there's a seven footer who's leading the break here and shooting threes and what's.
Speaker 3: This so That's lebron's.
Speaker 2: Point, Yeah, okay it's not a stretch to Say jannis would be dominating. This this y honest would be dominating in the, seventies and that's not a. Stretch luca would be. Dominating uh, shay gilgis. DOMINATING i, mean there's a hundred there are thousands of guys who probably would have had a great impact on THE. Nba but that's not what We're if that's what he's talking, about then that's you, know it's a silly there's not even a. CONVERSATION i was gonna, say, Argument, yes they would be. Great jannis would be playing differently in the, Seventies that's the Point i'm trying to.
Speaker 5: Make, yes how DID i get different? Positions and you, Know DOCTOR j might be four inches, shorter, right but how did DOCTOR j manage to do? That he's sort of like the godfather of modern.
Speaker 2: Basketball, well because they he did it in THE aba and THE. Nba you, know it was. Different it was far more structured in THE. Aba DOCTOR j was different than anybody. Else but he was a playground legend and you had him in the open, court so he was a. Unicorn Elgin baylor was a. Unicorn there's. Guys there weren't enough, guys but there are guys where you. Go that guy's just different than everybody. Else And DOCTOR j was different than anybody. Else, yeah, Pulling.
Speaker 4: And it's comical to, think, like if you're bringing someone back to an, era if you're Bringing lebron back to nineteen seventy, seven you're going to transport him at the height and weight he is, now and he'd be back if he was playing then there was no weightlifting. Whatsoever he'd be six, eight two hundred and twenty five pounds at the. Most and that's how he would have lived and built his. Life and they would have put, him like you, said as a small forward or power.
Speaker 2: Forward but if It's lebron today back, then he will. Dominate it seems.
Speaker 5: Equal he's comical, though to think that he couldn't figure out how to play in that.
Speaker 2: Era we'll look at the number of players who didn't PLAY i mean, THEY i, mean is he going to figure out what how to be able to dribble the ball and be able to shoot outside and all those, things because nobody did.
Speaker 3: That there's no three point line back.
Speaker 2: Then what's He they would have him, Inside they just, WOULD i, mean he would be.
Speaker 3: Used, differently plain and.
Speaker 2: Simple there are a lot of guys who if you look at him and how they were, used and you, know they probably had so much more, talent but they didn't get to expose. That but you didn't have big men who were on the perimeter shooting jumpers unless It's Bob. Lanir all, right we'll take a. Break just getting. Started let's. See so we Have Aali zerbiak coming up next hour and The commissioner of THE, Sec Greg. Sank your phone calls are welcome eight seven to seven THREE. Dp show back after.
Speaker 1: This Fox Sports radio has the best sports talk lineup in the. Nation all of our shows At Foxsports radio dot com and within The iHeartRadio app SEARCH fsr to listen.
Speaker 10: Live Hey Steve covino And I'm Rich david and together We're covino And rich On Fox Sports.
Speaker 11: Radio you could catch us weekdays from five to seven Pm eastern two to Four pacific On Fox Sports radio and of course The iHeartRadio.
Speaker 10: App why should you listen To covino And.
Speaker 11: Rich we talk about everything, life, sports, relationships what's going on in the.
Speaker 10: World we have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop, culture stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to.
Speaker 11: Discuss and the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work. TOGETHER i mean that says, something, Right so check us.
Speaker 10: Out we like to get you involved, too take your phone, calls chop it.
Speaker 5: Up as they, Say.
Speaker 11: I'd say the most interactive show On Fox Sports, radio maybe the most interactive show on.
Speaker 10: Planetar be sure to check Out covino And rich live On Fox Sports radio and The iHeartRadio app from five to seven Pm eastern two to Four, Pacific and.
Speaker 11: If you miss any of the live, show just Search covino And rich wherever you get your pop cast and of course on social media That's cavino And.
Speaker 2: Rich come up with the pole question here eight seven to seven THREE dp. Show Russell Wilson, junior the third introduced to The giants media. YESTERDAY i have a little bit of that as. Well John, Caliperi arkansas head. Coach he was on The pat McAfee show and he was talking about the transfer.
Speaker 12: Portal there are kids in The United states that are freshmen that deserves scholarships to college that are. Not there're seven eight hundred will not get, scholarships and they're good, enough.
Speaker 3: But we're all waiting for.
Speaker 12: Transfers so now that is what disappoints me the most and part of the REASON i won't.
Speaker 3: CHANGE i just can't do as. Many you, know there are.
Speaker 12: KIDS i had a friend of mine called my son's A division one. Player he doesn't even have the offer because everybody's waiting for this. Trance how many of my guys are coming? Back how many transfers CAN i? GET i may only have one or two scholarships for a.
Speaker 3: Freshman, okay he doesn't have to wait for the transfer. Portal he.
Speaker 2: DIDN'T i mean At kentucky he got. Freshmen it didn't work. Out he got one, title all of that, talent all of THAT nba talent that he, had and he learned after, years he learned that he needed to have upper. Classmen you need to have a few of, them and he did that At arkansas you're still going to get a couple of.
Speaker 3: RECRUITS i don't think.
Speaker 2: There's thousands of high school seniors Going i'm not getting a scholarship because, well these players are going all over the. Place that means if that guy, transfers then there's an opening on that. School so do you wait because we're waiting to see where everybody's going this?
Speaker 3: Month, YES i understand, that But john doesn't have to.
Speaker 2: Wait If john wants a, freshman five, freshmen six, freshmen go get. Him nobody's stopping you from. That we're making it seem like the transfer portal is one big stop sign here college.
Speaker 3: Basketball we can't do anything not right?
Speaker 2: Now, okay how many teams are still in THE Ncaa tournament? Sixteen what about all the other ones? There i'm going to guess those rosters are being filled, up and then you're going to have the high school recruiting period and then you'll fill out the. Rosters But john makes it seem, like oh my, god the transfer, Portal how DO i deal with?
Speaker 4: This, yes, point just to give a little, CONTEXT i think what coach cal is talking about is right now is the. Portal it ends in early to Mid, april Then april sixteenth Through may twenty first is high school basketball signing. Period SO i guess what he's saying is he can't give a verbal offer to a high school kid until he knows what he's getting with the portal this.
Speaker 2: Month because there's never any inappropriate contact with a high school. Senior but every single a transfer PORT i, mean come, on.
Speaker 4: Every single coach is in the same. Boat it's not like he's at a. Disadvantage every coach has to follow the same exact.
Speaker 2: Rules, yeah but those coaches can be dealing with the transfer portal right. Now all the Other division one coaches can go out and get. Players this is the transfer portal, window And john can do it. Too he's just in the tournament, now and you'll get. Commitment why is it you can get a commitment from a sophomore an eighth, Grader, okay you got a commitment. THERE i Think john is. CREATING i think he's building an obstacle here that doesn't need to be an.
Speaker 3: Obstacle, Yes, MARVIN i.
Speaker 8: Think In Cali perry's, CASE i think he's legit waiting for transfers Because i'm looking at the McDonald's All american list he's got two guys that are going To.
Speaker 5: Arkansas so it's, LIKE i have my.
Speaker 8: Freshman Now i'm waiting for my adults to come in and see who transfers To.
Speaker 3: Arkansas but he can get them right.
Speaker 2: Now the transfer portal is, open right. Now you got two, McDonald's All americans coming. In now you fill up your with those.
Speaker 3: Guys so WHAT i don't know what he's waiting, For, yes HE.
Speaker 5: I mean they got into that. SoundBite there's one before that about nil and how it's impacting high school. Recruiting there's no question about. That, however when he's talking about there's hundreds of kids right, now hundreds of freshmens who can't get my friend his song d one can't get an offer that Coach John, calipari he can choose to take those. Freshmen what he's doing is waiting for the better players in the. Portal he's choosing the better players over this other kid that has nothing to do with the system that is set. Up it's a new wrinkle of the system that helps him get a better. Team but if he wants to go give freshmen, scholarships he's more than go right ahead do. It there's nobody says that you can't do. That there's hundreds of kids that can't get a, scholarship then give them.
Speaker 2: Them and this has become a big topic because the transfer portal is going on right now and you have coaches who are trying to win another game and get to the. ELITATE i, understand but it is a fair question to. Ask, now Tom, IZZO i asked, him AND i, said you, know you got a balance between recruiting somebody and also trying to prepare for your next. Opponent but who put this in you, know put this in. Place it wasn't the kids who did. It once, again it goes back to the grown. Ups they did that to the. Sport, nil they did that to the sport transfer. Portal they did that to the. Sport, now maybe we clean it, up maybe we figure it. OUT a couple of phone calls in, Here ron In, Virginia Hi, ron what's on your mind?
Speaker 3: Today? Hello? Dan Hi? Ron how are you doing?
Speaker 9: Good six, three two thirty and. Growing i'm a Lifelong lakers fan and going back to our Beloved Jerry west AND i listened to The lebron interview yesterday On Pat, show and be honest with, YOU i was. Impressed he was so brutally. Honest it seemed Like, LEBRON i mean, normal we were hearing him the game just ended and he's. Exhausted they might have. Lost you, know we hear the same cliches over and, over but this it seemed like it was for the most, part totally unscripted and it was just a release to hear him just let it all out and. Everything so, yeah.
Speaker 2: But that doesn't MEAN i have to agree with him just because he, was you, know free wheeling, there. Unplugged but that's the atmosphere That pat McAfee has created on his, show AND i Think lebron came in there and wanted to. Entertain he wanted to have those guys laugh and. Smile you, Know pat's gonna let you. Go he's not going to be grilling. You he's just talking to. You And lebron had a lot of things that he wanted to get off his. Chest bill In, Indianapolis, Hi, bill what's on your mind?
Speaker 3: Today Hey?
Speaker 13: DAN i think it might've Been. Marvin it said About. Lebron he's in his, forties AND i can tell you from, Experience i'm way.
Speaker 3: Faster that's my. Forties the.
Speaker 13: Filter the filter starts to deteriorate at a certain point in your, life and then you get to a point where there is no filter and you don't even know what you're about to say until you just said.
Speaker 2: It so, yeah And i'm fine with. That I'm i'm to that point, Too. Bill you, know SOMETIMES i forget to turn on my turn. Signal all, right MAYBE i don't come to a complete stop of the stop.
Speaker 3: Sign H, Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 4: So forty in sports is like being eighty in. Life like WHEN i go visit my, mom all the cars just pull, out the people don't look no turn. Signals head.
Speaker 3: On michael In, Chicago Hi, michael what's on your? Mind Hey? Dan how you doing? Good?
Speaker 9: MIKE i just wanted to comment about The Lebron james topic and how.
Speaker 2: He turn turn down your, Radio, mike turn down your. Radio make it easier on, you hold the.
Speaker 3: Step? Better, yeah, okay.
Speaker 9: Okay he would have been great Naming, era but he's Not. Jordan AND i agree with you one hundred percent about the three best. PLAYERS i think you've always said it Was, Jordan kareem And. LEBRON i think that's the. ORDER i think that's what. Happens BUT i wanted to tell you it's opening name, baseball AND i want.
Speaker 3: To ask you a.
Speaker 9: Question who do you think is the best, player best baseball player of all?
Speaker 3: Time Babe? Ruth, Yeah Bay.
Speaker 2: Ruth if you win you, know ninety games as a starting pitcher and then you quit, pitching and then you hit seven hundred home runs and he batted what three forty, two he could have kept pitching and probably, won you, know three four hundred, Games so he didn't do What otani is. DOING i, mean this is what's going to be interesting with THE. Mvp let's Say otani is good at pitching and good at. Hitting this is like His hunter At colorado winning The. Heisman it's just so unique THAT i don't know if you can go that guy had a better. Year Ronald Dokunya, junior the third had a better. Year how many games did he? Pitch like it's it just feels like there's a building advantage for Sho Heyo tani to win THE mv pick as long as he's healthy and he can do the fact that he didn't pitch last. Year he, goes you know, WHAT i can't, pitch but you know, What i'm gonna. Do i'm gonna steal. Bases i'm gonna steal fifty eight bases whatever he, Stole, like, yeah good for. Him brandon In Orange, County, Hi, Brandon, hey Dan.
Speaker 14: DANETTES i just wanted to touch on The giannes playing in the seventies. Topic the analogy that came to mind for. Me it just seemed like there's some confusion between what you were trying to say and what the Dan nettes where understanding or trying to. Solve but it's the analogy that came.
Speaker 15: To mind is Like automo bills are, planes, Right, obviously the planes of, today if you put them back with the right, brothers they would they would. Dominate, okay you, know but we wouldn't have the planes of today without the technology of.
Speaker 14: Yesterday it's just the natural evolution of.
Speaker 3: Technology, thanks thank, You.
Speaker 2: Brandon, Yeah yannis would be you know this talent now the way he is, Now, yeah he would be probably the best player in the, game or certainly one of the two or three best players in the.
Speaker 3: Game it's just.
Speaker 2: It took the evolution of the basketball player to get to the point where you're Teaching luca Or joker Or yannis these other. Players but you needed those other players to get to this.
Speaker 8: Point, Yes, Mark so who was the first player to really like buck the system and, say hey you're six,' eight you should be down in. The, post, no, no, NO no i, CAN dribble i can.
Speaker 3: Handle on magic change. The game so he's.
Speaker 2: The, First Well. Doc's jay now ONCE again i got to see doctor j IN. The aba that was different than Anybody else i'd. Ever seen That was i'm dunking. On you I'm just i've got the Ball and i'm. Always moving he wasn't a, great shooter but he was a. Great score, magic though when you all of a sudden your point guard's, six' nine that that you know that THAT'S where the, nba was, like you know what are? We doing here and everybody then you had big guys who wanted to be point guards at six.
Speaker 3: Eight six.
Speaker 2: Nine magic did that. So magic, Changed the game you. Know jordan changed the, GAME Steph, changed the game u dirk you got to give, him credit, for big men. You know changing, the game as what like there's. Players Who changed the game but magic changed a position, where all Of, a SUDDEN just like steph. Hey i can shoot threes you had BIG men who are. LIKE i Can be magic i mean. Shack WANTED to be magic and i think you know that's the beauty of. The evolution of The Game, Derek And, Fort wayne hey, derek.
Speaker 16: Hey dan. Five eleven, one seventy. Five long time first. TIME let's go a seaton i was just calling in about You Guys Were talking about. JOHN kyler parry AND uh i guess what i feels like you guys may be missing is that if he can't talk to his players that are, currently still in the tournament then he can't figure out. What, freshman he can.
Speaker 3: Sign no he.
Speaker 2: CAN talk, to his players i mean he doesn't know, what they're going to do But you can talk to you can walk up, to, your, player and say hey player.
Speaker 3: Tell me.
Speaker 2: What You're thinking next year maybe, john doesn't want him back maybe he. Wants to bring somebody in maybe That player doesn't know that john is, flirting with a, TRANSFER portal.
Speaker 3: YES he yeah i.
Speaker 5: Don't i don't know that but is there not some like risk assumed with The transfer portal that if I'm playing right now, And i'm in the tournament i'm in the transfer, portal FLIRTING with other teams like i might lose My spot at. THE team i'm, currently, AT i would say yes, i mean that to me, that's kind, of, the like all right well if you're gonna have, One foot out the door i'm gonna give put this, kid One foot in then and i'm GONNA give this kid that i really like the shot then rather. Than you go find whoever and it's.
Speaker 2: KIND of supply. And DEMAND i get it but i. Think you, can navigate this it's tricky but you can. TALK to, high school players i mean this. Stuff went on for years it's just above board now where you would HAVE people getting paid or i would be talking to a high school recruit or. SOMEBODY'S going to transfer in i mean this this stuff has been. Going, On, for decades Now yes mark.
Speaker 8: And Also calipari Can't Afford tyler Ulis And Devin book and Karl. Anthony towns and the hairs he can't afford eight five star recruits anymore like He. Once did because of nil those are a bunch of five stars and they're all.
Speaker 5: Going to demand top dollar so he.
Speaker 3: Can't Do, that anymore either all right.
Speaker 2: We'll take a break here we Got Our play of the, day coming up next here.
Speaker 1: Be sure to Catch The Live Edition of the dan patrick Show weekdays at Nine am Eastern Six Am pacific on Fox sports Radio And The, iHeartRadio.
Speaker 12: Wapp, Oh My.
Speaker 1: God The days my god.
Speaker 3: The play of the day.
Speaker 1: Check this out flows up a shot And.
Speaker 3: It's ripped outed.
Speaker 5: By luca lebron leaked.
Speaker 2: Out they didn't see, Him, Here is down court.
Speaker 3: Luca, We're two for.
Speaker 1: The wind.
Speaker 2: James the buzzard that's, your play of the Day. Courtesy of the mother ship lakers. Snap three game losing streak they Move into a tie with memphis for The Fourth. Seat in the, Western conference by the. Way lebon had thirteen points ten of the thirteen. Came in the FOURTH quarter that extends his nba record streak of consecutive games scoring in, double figures two one thousand. Two hundred and eighty three that's, your play of the day brought to you By The Great. Folks at express employment professionals they will help you because if you, don't have the right team they'll go out and help you and you can. Concentrate on growing your business if you want full time, hires or part time. Hires they've got you covered. Visit expresspros dot com today let them handle your hiring so you can. FOCUS on growing your business i don't think we. SETTLE on a poll question I don't even know if I got suggestions for the We Just dove right into lebron.
Speaker 3: James And, didn't stop it go? Okay?
Speaker 5: What do we have see we have many suggestions okay From. Each of the dan netes, as a. MATTER of fact. It's great i like it.
Speaker 1: We.
Speaker 5: HAVE one here from todd i might as WELL start with. The t o dove today? I'm all About your, OPTIONS are the, Sweet Sixteen mlb opening, DAY Lebron's tippin', off slash M james relationship the latest nfl? Rumor mill? Or, Self care self Care? Okay todd's all about todd are?
Speaker 9: You?
Speaker 5: ALL about Self care today i Think i'm? More about the sweet.
Speaker 17: SIXTEEN but there are others i want to provide the option for those that don't care about, any of the other options or, they're not big sports fans or they just not be. College basketball or baseball fans They can go with self?
Speaker 3: But what is self care self care would.
Speaker 17: Be, maybe getting your nails, done maybe leaving work earlier not going into work at all because you need one of those. Health the mental health days.
Speaker 3: But you could do that. And still.
Speaker 17: Watch the tournament you could or you want to just shut things down and you, don't want the phones ON you. Don't want the tv on you just need to get some sleep and just. Have, a mental health.
Speaker 5: Day, Okay self care day yes i'm so curious what the crossover is with our demographics of people who watch or listen to the show every day but Are not, Interested in the, Sweet Sixteen, baseball's opening DAY lebron james. Or the nfl rumor mill they're just actually. Interested IN self care today but i. Watched the sports talk show maybe. This is their self care i'm so. Curious, what that demographic is.
Speaker 17: Oh, once our show is done they. Just shut it all down they don't want to know anything about sports except for the three. Hours, that you provide there well they're done for. The other twenty one.
Speaker 2: Hour maybe you know when you see people who are on planes and they, have their dog with them so we could be.
Speaker 3: Kind of your comfort dogyb you're going.
Speaker 17: For a manny petty today or whatever. GUYS and girls do it, i went for a. PEDICURE not too, long ago i loved it and.
Speaker 2: We're just your service show we're, here for it's, comfort food it's just soothing just.
Speaker 5: We're just there.
Speaker 2: With, you self care day, okay the, other pole questions let's.
Speaker 5: See we got one here is it good for a sport to Go. Into this is from paul is it good for sport to go into the season with an overwhelming? Favorite, to Win. The title yes slash no so We're.
Speaker 2: Basing, this, off the DODGERS yeah yeah but but i remember growing up that there was always one or two teams and those were the one or two teams.
Speaker 3: That you had to beat.
Speaker 2: Now, you, have, a bad guy right, yeah But it's you know The Dodgers aren't like the evil Empire, now yet. Like the yankees. They're organized, it all happen but see you Don't dislike players On. The dodgers and The Yankees you Didn't Dislike bernie Williams or tino Martinez Or, paul O'Neill or andy petted but they. Were winning, all The time you, know THE dodgers. Are winning but i don't maybe it's just. How THEY'RE going about winning but i Don't think, Like Nobody, Dislikes Mookie. Bets freddie freeman Clayton kershawn so? Are the dodgers for BASEBALL would be, the, question I would ask okay, because i, would be, curious are they, you know having you know they? Just ount smarted everybody, too they had. The money, but they did. You know you're. Deferring money they outsmarted people? Are they good for baseball i'd be curious what. Our audience thinks. Of that other pole questions.
Speaker 5: I'm curious to know if deferring all that money in fifteen years from now is as. Smart as it Feels.
Speaker 2: Today we're Gonna have TIM kirkschiner the mothership on i want to. Ask, him about that that yes it seems, like A brilliant idea now but i don't know, if fifteen years from now Where You're still Paying off freddy freeman and moki back.
Speaker 5: A million dollars still he hasn't. Played, Here, in Twelve years.
Speaker 4: Yes paul the dodgers have deferred over one billion dollars of payments to twenty thirty. Five, for seven.
Speaker 5: Different players okay no problem that's going to be.
Speaker 3: A hell of a, roster, BE a bargain then.
Speaker 2: Yeah i won't be alive to critique it though probably you know by well who knows the.
Speaker 3: Yeah part of the face you.
Speaker 2: Know what if i'm if, i'm dead in my casket you can hit me with. A, pie, in the, face yes yeah you know just explain to my wife what you're. Doing, just, before it's closed yes yeah just. Smash me with a pie?
Speaker 3: Wait what are you.
Speaker 5: DOING he lost a bat.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 17: Like, that kind of talk.
Speaker 2: Well you're gonna help put me IN my grave earlier than i need to try.
Speaker 5: To, say something sensitive.
Speaker 13: And kind and.
Speaker 5: This is what comes back.
Speaker 3: You should? No better? Sensitive and kind.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 2: One Hour in the books, I'm i'm fired up, today i'm ready. To go ready to go just don't. PUT your hands on me.
Speaker 9: I might.
Speaker 3: Swing at you hour two on the way
Speaker 5: It