Speaker 1: It is Monday, August.
Speaker 2: Well, this is Jaguars Happy Hour. Jaguars Happy Hour is presented by Jet Home Loans. And now a guy who's Jaguars parking pass has been allocated to the Romanians jap Chack.
Speaker 3: Welcome in. It is Jaguars Happy Hour, the first Monday show of the season at long last, presented by Jet Home Loans. We've got a busy two hours ahead. Here's what's coming up with the program today. On this August twelfth, Prisco and Vaselli are back. Despite our best efforts, they are back. Jaguars over the Chiefs in preseason Week one.
Speaker 1: Offensive standouts in the game, a new look defense, debuted special teams made an impact all over the field.
Speaker 3: Will keep it real?
Speaker 1: And Mannix fan questions, that's all coming up?
Speaker 4: J P.
Speaker 3: Shadwick with you, Tony Vasselli Hall of Famer, Literally ten seconds before the show walks into the studio.
Speaker 1: He's here, He's on time. It's great to see you, Tony.
Speaker 3: Why did you have to add the ten second before? I just wanted people to know the real you.
Speaker 5: I mean, I was ready, I'm here, got my coffee, got my water.
Speaker 6: CBS Sports Outside signing more more autographs for more money.
Speaker 3: Since that's what you do.
Speaker 5: That's not true, Pete, that's not true. That is inaccurate. What's going on there, my little friend.
Speaker 1: That's Pete Prisco CBS Sports.
Speaker 4: Hello, Peter we I was in town last week.
Speaker 6: I figured i'd bump into Tony and no, he said, Canton signing, signing and doing more signing.
Speaker 1: Ch ching, ch ching ch ching.
Speaker 3: All right, First things first, whoever's I need that TV on over there?
Speaker 1: Or wow?
Speaker 3: You come in fire and shots. You just show up ten seconds before the show. Well you can showed up thirty minutes ago. Maybe we can add something for you.
Speaker 5: Well, I got Pete to my left, So if I want to see Pete's beautiful face, I gotta look to the left, and then it looks terrible.
Speaker 4: How that is beautiful?
Speaker 3: Oh boy, that's South Florida tan baby.
Speaker 4: Uh huh Tony Uh.
Speaker 6: By the way, I gotta give you props because I'm skinny, but you're you're almost frail.
Speaker 3: No, I'm I'm I'm stronger than i've been in a long time. Pete.
Speaker 5: I've been lifting weights. I've changed, I've changed the game. It's not just about I'm not about I'm not about weight loss. I'm about body composition.
Speaker 3: Hey, just wait, Pete until the mister Chubby's Wings hour in the second hour. They're here tonight too. They delivered. I'm good Tony.
Speaker 6: Tony looks like he could couldn't play tight end. Now you gotta be, you gotta be.
Speaker 4: What are you?
Speaker 5: Two twenty no, two forty between. I linger around between two forty and two five on a daily basis.
Speaker 1: That's nice.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm sixty pounds of that's your head.
Speaker 5: I mean, oh yeah, because you're you know, you're very you're very well proportioned. Let's not get into you. Wow, my goodness. I don't know if he's Seth Payne's uh post on X.
Speaker 3: We'll get to that a little bit later. Yes, somebody a little short. I'm not going to say who.
Speaker 4: And you know what, as I age, I get shorter.
Speaker 3: I think that's how it works.
Speaker 4: Good, I'm shrinking.
Speaker 3: That's okay, Pete. I still love you well.
Speaker 6: I love you and your big head too, So don't worry about it. JP, that's a whole other story. Hey, Tony, we're starting off the season. And the first thing I said to JP when I saw him in the media room. How much does your dad hate me?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 1: So the whole off season. I don't think it's it's built up yet. We haven't even to show yet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that carries over, don't you think, Tony, it carries over.
Speaker 3: Well, Pete. Once someone doesn't like you usually does not change.
Speaker 1: You're always starting with a deficit.
Speaker 3: It does not just before we get into football, because we haven't done this for a while.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: And I can't tell by the picture. Are you still being healthy, Pete? Are you healthy Pete?
Speaker 3: Or fat? And hell Pete?
Speaker 4: No, I'm way down, so you're not noticed.
Speaker 3: His camera shot like his shoulders up. He didn't want to show anything below that.
Speaker 4: I'm down.
Speaker 5: You're no longer as wide as tall.
Speaker 4: No, no, I'm not.
Speaker 3: That's good for you. By the way, I'll tell you what. Pete did look pretty good the other day. I'm being serious.
Speaker 5: Pete and I talked all off season, mostly via text, and I worry about Pete's health. He's a friend. I want to make sure he's healthy. I'm starting I'm.
Speaker 4: Starting about even last season.
Speaker 3: No, he did good.
Speaker 5: Now, Pete, we might want to focus our attention on JP because I'm not sure if you've noticed somebody not taking seriously, what are you talking about?
Speaker 3: You're a shape. I've been worse.
Speaker 1: You definitely have a shape, been a whole lot worse.
Speaker 4: Tony.
Speaker 6: So the two older guys, Grandpa me and then Grandpa number two, you better than than younger here.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think it's because we started seeing the end and we said, I'm still living a different lifestyle than.
Speaker 4: I.
Speaker 6: Might be the older one here, but if you count your years in football years, you're much older than me.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think you start seeing the end, You're like, I might want to do something about this before it gets too much.
Speaker 4: More out of I come to the town. I noticed all over town guys have lost a ton of weight. Hacker. Yes, Matt, Matt Hayes. I mean it's unreal, it's good.
Speaker 5: I mean, listen, you gotta take care of yourself, like yeah, like the first thing.
Speaker 4: That do you eat anymore?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Oh yeah, he stars himself a lot of heavy protein, lifting weights, heavy protein.
Speaker 4: You don't look like you're lifting weights. That's why I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't think so Okay, I'm lying because I because i'm definition.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I mean you want me to take the shirt off? No, no, you can the six pack is there?
Speaker 3: No, No, it's weird.
Speaker 6: Is I haven't had any sort of abs in my entire nearby.
Speaker 3: It's the first time in fifty two I got apps. I'm like, where these come?
Speaker 4: I actually have like remnants of them.
Speaker 3: I do too.
Speaker 4: It's happened, Pete.
Speaker 3: I am fifty two years old.
Speaker 5: Never in my life have I seen even like the starting like definition of an app either. And I'm like my wife, She's like, my goodness, like you like, you got a four pack for sure? Of the six packs coming in. I'm like, that's right, baby.
Speaker 6: But you get to certain points, right, you get you gotta stop though, You gotta you get to a point and you become obsessive and you gotta stop.
Speaker 1: Pete, what are you doing on a daily basis? What's your regular routine?
Speaker 7: I work it out every day a lot. But I don't eat much either, so I'm way down a lot of protein.
Speaker 4: Like Tony said. Yeah, And here's the other thing, is you know, I went and saw my doctor.
Speaker 6: When I see the doctor, he told me I actually have to start lifting weights more because you get older and you're owns men frail.
Speaker 3: That's right, they do. Yeah. Yeah, I'm feeling good.
Speaker 6: Pee, I'm gonna make it through fat ball season. I did it last year. I'll do it again. I'm not gonna get I just I just you gotta do it or else, you know. Again, like Tony said.
Speaker 1: The end clocks sticking. The clocks can take it. It's sticking faster, Pete. It goes faster every year.
Speaker 4: It seemed like the season just that.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm like, wait a second, Like I'm like, like, the season's here, which means in my world, this is that's always been. Once the season's here, it's over. Because you like you blink, you wake up and you're it's like Christmas playoffs done. It's like, holy cow.
Speaker 6: You know, life goes fast, as like Tony said, as you get a little older, it goes faster. But I always said, if life went as fast as a football season dead we did, we'd all be dead and about five years.
Speaker 5: It goes so fast. But that's because it's so much fun. And this is, I mean the exciting thing. We're getting ready to kick off here and we have first preseason game with the Jags against the Chiefs. This is the most fun time of the year, you know, getting into September, fall change of the weather football and now it's like all day Sunday, Sunday night, Monday night, Thursday. I mean it's like then you get late in the season, you get Saturday games, and it's just it's all consuming. And I saw the best thing I've seen. It was either on Instagram or x I can't remember which. One was a little parody and basically it was as a husband sending his wife a two week notice, basically saying, this is your two week notice that starting on this September X, every Sunday from ten am to eleven eleven pm, I will be unavailable for any housework from six pm to eleven pm on Mondays.
Speaker 3: It was great, it was such.
Speaker 6: A Good's the way the league is two it's gonna be every.
Speaker 1: Day they don't have a game, it's Tuesday because they have Christmas Wednesday games this year.
Speaker 6: Yeah, in college football on Saturday year. I mean, it's it's NonStop.
Speaker 4: It's unreal.
Speaker 5: It is it is our for it from a sports culture standpoint, it is our religion. It is what is this time of year. It owns the TV, the radio, the internet. I mean, if you're a sports fan, it's all football, all the time. And Pete, I know you and I and I know JP's the same way, and we love it because we love the game of football. It's a great game. It's great to cover, it's great, it's great to play. And I am looking forward to twenty twenty four and I think it's it has the potential. And we'll talk about this tonight and all through the preseason we lead up to opening Day down in South Florida.
Speaker 3: Are we gonna see you down in South Florida, Pete? Opening Day?
Speaker 4: Ill come come. I'm not gonna be at the game, but I'll come by the hotel.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Let's play it on dinner Saturday night. Wow, we'll go to dinner.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: How about that? Maybe we'll do the show dinner or you're not.
Speaker 1: There, I mean, enjoy tell me how it.
Speaker 3: Is, guys, me and people will do a show dinner. Thanks all.
Speaker 5: Yes, you're welcome. You'll be invited, but won't be there, probably not. But you know, we'll talk about all the lead up to that game. And there's a lot of things that need to happen, can happen, you know, and we'll talk about all that. But boy, I'm excited about twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Guys, before we dig into this preseason game, we got the rest of the show for all that and the first kind of look at this team. This was obviously a huge offseason for the organization, both in the personnel side and outside of football as well. We start with the cornerstone payouts to big time players, the quarterback, defensive end, cornerback all getting multi year extensions this offseason, and then of course the stadium deal going through the city council still has to be approved by the ownership. That's a lot going on in one off season, Tony, and it seems like a monumental foundation piece for this franchise moving ahead at both sides.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think the way I look at this offseason, like the stadium stuff set that aside, like it's almost let me say it this way, there's like three buckets of big things that happened this offseason. The stadium was huge, and we'll talk about what that means and how I'll give you my opinion how I feel about it, what it means for the future of this franchise, But much bigger than the future of this franchise, because this franchise was going to have a future regardless, but what it means in the impact it can have in our city, and what it means for the next thirty years, which I'm super excited about. And then as I think about the off season on the football side, I kind of break it down into two categories player acquisition, So what they did in free agency and the draft, and I think we should spend some time at least a segment talking about that and what we thought at the moment and how we think it's played out so far during camp. And then the second book of this offseason was locking up foundational players for the long term, because I think that's different. It's something we have not done very well because we haven't had those type of players through the draft lately. But we locked up three guys. And give seat con credit because he wrote the checks to a lot of money, a lot of guaranteed money. And I love what we did there, and we can dive into it even.
Speaker 3: Deeper because you have to.
Speaker 5: You have to set the foundation of who you want to be at key places and the four premium positions in the NFL today our quarterback first and foremost. I'm not gonna say, I'm gonna say your offensive line, and I think it's your two tackles would be the highest premium. I don't think there's a difference in today's NFL between left and right tackle because of how people are rushing the quarterback. You have premium rushers on both sides. Uh, and then your corner I mean, I mean sorry, past rush, pass rusher and then corner. So we pass rusher obviously Josh Allen, and then corner.
Speaker 4: To it too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Pete, we could discuss that.
Speaker 5: Obviously, you want a big play receiver, there's no doubt about that in today's passing league. But I still think those other four are more important because if you have.
Speaker 4: A quarter you count the entire offensive line, then, no doubt about it.
Speaker 3: Because if you can, if you can, if you have a quarterback and you can protect the quarterback right, then you can do a lot of things in offense. Those two things like it because you can have the best premium receiver. If you can't protect, true, you're gonna struggle.
Speaker 6: But if you don't have a great if you don't if you have a good offensive line and you have a good quarterback, but you don't have to stretch the field, guy, you're going to be limited in what you can do.
Speaker 4: I'm talking about the number one down the field guy.
Speaker 3: So New England would New England would disagree with you for about twenty years of Tom Brady in a solid offensive line and a great offensive line.
Speaker 4: Car Okay, well, now that you're compare with Trevor Lawrence to Tom Brady.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm not I'm not doing it. My point, Pete is I still right out of the gate. Isn't it amazing how he twists no matter what I say? Yeah, it's a great talent that Pete has. It's a great talent. He can take anything I say and make it whatever he wants it. To Lawrence, I love it.
Speaker 4: I love it. I get what you say.
Speaker 6: But there are outliers on the whole and Tony and it was different most of his error too. You would agree with that the rules have mandated where the wide receivers become the big play. Wide receivers become much more valuable than he used to be.
Speaker 5: I would say the big play where wide receivers like the running back was when I.
Speaker 3: Played like you. Maybe, but remember back when I especially earlier in my career, Pete, it was if you have a quarterback, a big offensive line and you can control the line of scrimmage and then you have that explosive back. You are really tough to be.
Speaker 5: It was like that was Tom's formula's run the ball, not turn it over, play smart possession football, and play good defense.
Speaker 3: I mean that was really Now we ended up get Jimmy Smith.
Speaker 5: Think keen mar Mark Uh uh McCardell, sorry, uh Keenan McCardell. I remember you stopped Keenamar cardell, and you have two guys outside.
Speaker 3: I did not played with the guy for how long Mark's.
Speaker 1: I mean even the first segments over Pete.
Speaker 3: We already got one.
Speaker 4: No, I know that team. It was like he was a stiff at the end of the bench. You not know his name.
Speaker 3: I do know his name.
Speaker 4: I missed first of all.
Speaker 5: I corrected myself, and then you got all over me and I got flustered.
Speaker 3: To be honestly, I got flustered.
Speaker 4: I get all over him.
Speaker 5: Yeah you did try it again, McCardell. Okay, let's come back. I know Keenan very well. McCardell. I know him too. We gott to finish this thought a little no, but I'm saying we will go deep into it. But I want I think as you talk about the off season, then yeah. My broader point before I butcher any anything else is I think you have to look at these in three distinct manners, because they're all different.
Speaker 3: We'll get to those.
Speaker 6: There's some theory that the quarterback deal getting done when it did was kind of tied to that, to that stadium deal a little bit.
Speaker 4: Did you Yeah, you know.
Speaker 7: Something happened like I don't think says before the vote, Well, he was going to get it anyways, but the fact that he got it before the vote, you don't think.
Speaker 3: There's no I think both.
Speaker 5: I think both were gonna happen independently, independently of each other.
Speaker 4: I'm glad that. Let's put it this way.
Speaker 6: I'm glad the stadium is staying there because I think that team. I've said it for years and years. I've defended that city so many times.
Speaker 4: It belongs in Jacksonville.
Speaker 3: Let's come back in a moment. We'll get to Saturday Night's preseason Week one win. The Jaguars knockoff the world champion Chiefs in season, that's a great, great exit there. Jacks fans won customized Jaguars furniture for your home check out zip chair dot Com and browse all customizable options zip Chair furniture. For fans, we'll hear from Doug Peterson, Trevor Lawrence, Josh Heinz Allen plenty ahead in the second hour, we'll have your social media questions, the fanatics, fan questions, and keep it real.
Speaker 1: We are off and running for the first time in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: It's Jaguars Happy Hour presented by Jet Home Loans.
Speaker 8: And I think that's what you're seeing out there in practice. It's what I'm seeing anyway. And then tonight there's so many guys playing in this game.
Speaker 4: You just there wasn't really a drop off.
Speaker 8: You know, because sometimes when you when you get out of that first second unit, sometimes there's a letdown or a drop off with playing.
Speaker 4: I didn't see that tonight.
Speaker 8: Our guys played played fast, they played hard.
Speaker 4: Were their mistakes.
Speaker 8: Sure, there were mistakes and MS and things like that that we can clean up this week. But you know, I think top to bottom, you know, the guys, the guys played. Credit to them, they played fast and they played physical.
Speaker 3: It's had Joe Dug Peterson after the game Saturday night, will win over the Chiefs preseason Week one, It's Jaguars Happy Hour, presented by Jet Home Loans. We're on ten ten XL, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube, hit us on X as well at JP Shadwick at Tony Boselli at Prisco CBS. We'll get to your fanatics fan questions in the second hour. And boy was X a buzz today with the show coming back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's good stuff. Should I do my first lock of the year?
Speaker 1: Oh early lock.
Speaker 4: Pete, I thought you locked the Chiefs game last week.
Speaker 5: Well, it's a preseason lock. We're gonna go undefeed in the preseason.
Speaker 4: Who cares?
Speaker 5: Well, I know no one cares. But and I'm I'm stealing this from Logs. This is Logs inside.
Speaker 3: He's an original lock. No, it's not. It's very It's a stall and lock.
Speaker 5: And it made me think when Doug said that he didn't see a drop off from you know, first, second, third unit, and I would agree as far as how the offense defense functioned. And a lot of that on the offense side of the ball is because usually your third quarterback is some rookie who doesn't even know which ways up or down. And we have three veteran quarterbacks. I mean, I mean, so in the preseason you have Trevor Lawrence, You're gonna have Matt Jones for a first rounder started took a team to the playoffs, and CJ. Bethard, who's won football games and played a lot of snaps in this league and understands the offense. And so you're not gonna I mean offensively, you're gonna be able to function throughout the entire game, which gives you a huge advantage over a lot of the teams you're playing.
Speaker 3: That's why.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it makes sense because most teams like have Nathan Roar that's right.
Speaker 3: I mean, you have a guy that you're just maybe trying to hide none at all.
Speaker 5: But you know what I mean, Pete, So that's a dumble, it's a dumb lock. But I thought it was interesting. It's dumb, glad you admit, But I thought.
Speaker 6: I thought of question about those three quarterbacks too. Yeah, how how's the competition? Who do you think ends up number? Mac Jones has to be number two?
Speaker 3: Yes, it's not even really. Yeah, I don't think it's I don't even think it's a thing. I don't think it's a competition. I don't think it is Pete trade for a first round.
Speaker 4: Quarter, keep all three of them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I think CJ's on practice squad with the new Pratt squad rules, you put them on there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he's clear, like there's no I.
Speaker 1: Mean, what would they make that move for him to be like a question mark?
Speaker 5: Well, and I give I give Mac Jones a ton of credit because I was not crazy about the trade at the moment, because you know, everyone's like, oh, you're worried about the competition with Trevor. No, I'm not worried with the competition with Trevor. What I was concerned about because I don't know Mac Jones. I know he's a Jacksonville kid. I've never met him. I don't know his personality. I didn't know how he'd handle it. But Pete will attest to this. There's certain guys in this league that get drafted high, they feel like they're a starter, they get traded, and they have mentality like I'm going to get that job.
Speaker 3: It's my job.
Speaker 5: And the last thing I thought this place needed is a guy coming in as the backup not knowing his role, and that backup's role is to support our franchise quarterback Trevor Lawrence and just not knowing the dynamics of the personality Mac Jones. I've been so impressed with Mac Jones about how he's approached it, his energy, just you know, I thought he was always a good quarterback. I mean, he proved that in New England. I thought he got a raw deal in New England when Bill Belichick decided to take a defensive coordinator and make him the offensive line coach and the special teams guy to make him the offensive coordinator. That's a tough situation to operate in if you're Mac Jones. But I was always impressed with him, and I'm even more oppressed now just how he's handled the situation energy at practice, understands his role, you know.
Speaker 4: And well you know too, Tony. Some guys are just meant to be backup quarterbacks in the NFL.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's okay.
Speaker 5: It is okay. I think that's Mac Jones. I actually think Mac Jones is a starter in this league.
Speaker 6: For where though. I mean he's in Jacksonville. He's not starting there.
Speaker 3: Well, but you know how it goes. The guys might get hurt later in the year and then the deal and and he I'll give you be a perfect example, Pete.
Speaker 4: He was appailable for anybody for anything but a fourth round pick.
Speaker 5: Right hold on Pete last year of his deal as well. So, Pete, this is how I think about it. I'm not saying this is going to happen. Mac Jones comes in, has a good preseason, which he's kicked it off, having a good preseason, and is the backup all year. Let's hope that he doesn't have to play one snap outside of coming up to maybe we're up by fifty and he comes up and whatever. But hopefully he doesn't have to play meaningful snaps because that means Trevor's healthy the whole year. And now he's a free agent, and you know this league, Pete, you're telling me there's not going to be a couple of teams that are looking for a quarterback. And on that scouting staff, there's somebody who loved mac Jones come out of college and they say, this guy's a start, and they'll put on his tape from his first year with Belichick and a good coordinator, seeing that they took him to the playoffs, and they say, you know what, we can go get this guy and pay fifteen million bucks or twelve million bucks, and he can be our starter and maybe he blossoms into a like no.
Speaker 3: Different than Baker Mayfield. I mean, look at Baker Mayfield. Baker Mayfield signed a prove it deal with the Buccaneers and ended up playing at a level, taking that team to the playoffs where he got a franchise deal. Very I could see that happening with Mac Jones. And if that happens, Pete, guess what the Jags get. They get a competitory pick because he gets signed by another team.
Speaker 4: I know, I get I see it in theory.
Speaker 6: First off, I don't think does Mac Jones have that chip on his shoulder like a Baker do?
Speaker 4: I think he does well.
Speaker 6: I think he looks happy to be the backup in Jacksonville. He looks like a happy kid. You're right, he's bought into it and he looks just looks intent and happy.
Speaker 5: I think I think he's happy because he is in a situation that stable. He can grow as a player, he can play a role. I think he's a high energy guy by nature, and I think he's coming up with a great ad to because I think he knows if he does a good job, this is his best path of getting an opportunity to be a starter again.
Speaker 4: Was playing ever a starter again? He wasn't, was he?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: No, he was always a backup. That's sometimes you're just a backup. And he made a long career out of being a backup. That's okay.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it. My point is I still think Matt Jones can be a starter in this league.
Speaker 4: And I'm gonna play Devil's advocate on it.
Speaker 6: He was available for anybody who wanted to give up, say a third round pick, to make him the starter.
Speaker 4: Nobody did right.
Speaker 1: From that though, and move, move up and on. You never know how he can play.
Speaker 3: He can play himself out of that stuff.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I just think so. Look, he wondery good when he played. After the first year, he was okay.
Speaker 4: But would you agree that the a bad situation bad situation.
Speaker 6: I'm not going to defend that situation one bit, not at all. But he was awful in some games, Tony with the capitol A.
Speaker 4: I mean he was bad.
Speaker 6: And sometimes I think you get all the pressure off of you and you become a backup quarterback and so you can make you can stay in the league a long time and become a backup as a backup quarterback.
Speaker 1: It's okay, Jaguars happy, Prisco, Tony WASCELLI JP Shadwick quickly. How did Trevor Lawrence look to you the other night?
Speaker 4: Overall?
Speaker 3: Outstanding? Two drives?
Speaker 5: I mean, small sample size. I thought he was outstanding. He did exactly what you want me to do.
Speaker 6: You think of the sack on fourth down because Ingram came open LA pivot route late, but by that time there was pressure kind of pushing him to the left and he kind of dropped his head down a little bit. If he stays there and throws it, that's a completion for a first down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, that was.
Speaker 4: My only knock on him, and I'm being nippicky.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I mean I think if I mean, if I wanted to be nitpicky on that play, maybe you can hang in there half a tick longer and get it to Ingram for the first down.
Speaker 5: Maybe the other thing he could do is he scrammed those right. I thought, you know, maybe it was Kirk or someone was coming open late on the crosser, real real late, and maybe he could just throw it up because it's fourth down. You throw it down deep in the field and can't. Yeah, I mean, so that's the only nitpicky. But in that situation, really what I wanted him to do, Pete, if I'm being completely honest, fall down and don't get hit, because I don't care if we pick up fourth down or not. I don't want my franchise quarterback getting hit in the preseason.
Speaker 1: Well, then why the right side of the line break down on that play?
Speaker 3: It was?
Speaker 6: I think that was in the interior or the offensive line. If it came across it. I think it came across to Actually I think it might have come across the center.
Speaker 5: I thought it was the right guard. But I'll be honest with you, I did not go back and watch the tape in I.
Speaker 4: Said, I gotta remember what it was. But here's the other thing.
Speaker 6: The throw we made to Gabe Davis in the middle of the field was what was missing.
Speaker 4: Year ago in a lot of situations.
Speaker 5: That one right there, And by the way, if you go back and look at that.
Speaker 4: Opens to his left that comes back to the middle. I loved it.
Speaker 5: And watch him hanging in there because he gets pressured in his face and gets hit as he's throwing it.
Speaker 4: That's the throw.
Speaker 6: When last year when we'd sit here and we'd say he wasn't pulling the trigger on those throws, he wasn't.
Speaker 4: He was bailing. That's the throw right there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I wonder do they have the fourth and five? We're watching the same play over and over again, which is excited about the Yeah, the fourth and five where doesn't have it?
Speaker 3: Don't have it?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I remember, I think it came maybe it's either Sheriff or or Morse.
Speaker 4: I think it was let him, let him through.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I mean I thought Trevor was fine what you wanted out that first preseason game. I thought the whole offense was fine. You know, they got the short field with I mean, the MVP of the of the whole game was Parker Washington.
Speaker 6: He looks it's like a different he looks like a different guy even running his routes.
Speaker 5: Well, he's a different guy. In Camp Pete, He's had a great camp.
Speaker 1: Trevor talked about that going into the game, actually, about how Parker's really improved, and it showed you.
Speaker 5: I mean, my goodness, I'm like, is this the same guy we had?
Speaker 3: Last year. I mean he looks great.
Speaker 4: It looks he looks like a he looks like a pro.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he does.
Speaker 5: And I give him credit because I mean, Pete, We've talked about this for years. The biggest the biggest step you want to see from your You want to see that big jump from your rookie the second year because a lot of guys struggle as rookies, and you don't want to make a judgment just based on their rookie year. The judgment is, Okay, how do they progress from that rookie year to that second year? Now that they're a pro, they have a year in the system, they understand the system, they're in the off season program, they get stronger, they do all the things, they mature and by all signs and all indications, Parker Washington did his did his job this offseason and prepping himself being ready. He's had a great camp. He was we you know, the book coming on him out of college was is He's dynamic like a running back after he catches it. He's not like a super fast, straight line guy. That's how he's known for. He's a change the direction.
Speaker 3: Powerful runner.
Speaker 5: He saw that first hand on that dang kickoff returned to start the game, and my holy cow, this guy's he looks like a running back with the ball.
Speaker 6: He's the only he's the only one who's done anything with that kickoff crap.
Speaker 1: We'll get to that, I quote kickoff crap a little bit later.
Speaker 5: I want to pay off the teas we talked about. Let's let's talk about the off season in the next segment. Okay, at some point we talked about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah we should because there's a lot.
Speaker 3: There's a lot there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is. And we haven't been on since the offseason.
Speaker 3: We have not. We've got a little defensive talk to go. Also, yeah, should we go off season?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 3: Defense or defense and offense?
Speaker 1: Tell you what, if you shut up more than ten seconds before the show, maybe you could produce some segments.
Speaker 5: It wouldn't be fun if I did that. It's more fun doing this.
Speaker 3: That's fun.
Speaker 4: I think, so got like jumping around to Tony's right. Dude. JP likes to structure Tony.
Speaker 6: He likes try your guy gotta bank and that segment me and you go off the rails and he can't handle it.
Speaker 3: JP's a buzzkill. He ruins it.
Speaker 1: That's what I am really amazing.
Speaker 3: Wow, Hey, sign up your furry friend for the Jaguars Official Four Leg Fan Club for Vets presented by Forever Bets Animal Hospital. Your pet will receive access to exclusive merchandise, events and sweepstakes throughout the twenty twenty four season. Visit Jaguars dot com, Slash Promotions, Slash four Legged Fan Club and sign up today.
Speaker 1: We're back in a moment with whatever the heck these guys want to talk about it Jaguars Happy Hour presented by Jet Home Loans.
Speaker 9: Is parryd Parry Talented, you know, trying to forget you know, who are who are Rushman? Miss You know we don't have everybody parents, not even back here, so you got.
Speaker 4: Him in the mix.
Speaker 1: You see all out here having a field day.
Speaker 9: You got rowing Ivan Ham can push that pocket flot So we just got gout that played all way the film and uh, you know.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be a fun year. US Passible Josh Hainz Allen during the game broadcast Saturday night, and welcome back is Shaguars Happy our first Monday show of the season, presented by Jet Holme Loans. We're at the Hyundai Studios, the Miller Electric Center. Well, two thirds of the show is JP Shaddick, Tony Boselli here in Jacksonville, Pete Prisco down in South Florida.
Speaker 5: You know what we need to do one Monday, Pete. We got to organize it where you come up and do the show from here on a Monday. And I know that's hard for you because your your schedule's crazy.
Speaker 4: It's impossible even in.
Speaker 3: The preseason before the season starts. So then we could go out and get a big steak dinner afterwards. Media and JP.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I like that. That would be grea.
Speaker 6: We could have done it on a fa on the day I came into town, but you weren't there.
Speaker 4: He was signing autograph somewhere for more money.
Speaker 5: I was not signing autographs. I was in Canton at the Hall of Fame weekend.
Speaker 6: By the way, I saw you at the ceremony, sitting slefed overall, it was.
Speaker 4: Like ready to get out of there.
Speaker 3: That was a long day because of the weather delay. Holy cow, that's right. You heard from josh An's Allen. Of course, the big contract in the off season, and this kind of leans into the defensive performance. The other night saw some new faces for the first time. They did a lot of business on that side of the ball this offseason. Josh was obviously the biggest piece of that. They extended Foyer Lucan as well linebacker. They in free agency picked up Darnault Savage and Ronald Darby, a couple of veteran players in the league, and then in the draft a couple of corners come in, Jarion Jones, DeAndre Prince. So yeah, they were busy this offseason on the defensive side of the ball.
Speaker 1: And new and new scheme as well.
Speaker 3: Up hasn't practiced, but they're looking leaning towards the Atlanta game week getting him ready to go.
Speaker 5: And I think I mean Mason Smith, the second rounder from MELSU, did you mention him?
Speaker 3: But not yes to big signing.
Speaker 5: I mean the big news is locking up Josh Allen, heins Allen, excuse me, for a long term deal, you know, solidifying that and I think having him number one, bringing Ryan Nielson in going to a four to three, I thought our personnel fit for three better than three four, just because heins Allen and Walker, the two of them are defensive ends in my book, They're not outside linebackers that you want to drop. I mean, come on, I mean, those guys are handing the ground, get after the quarterback, big physical guys. They both put on weight. They both look great coming into the camp, and so I think that's a super super positive Armstead. We'll see hopefully healthy coming off surgery in the offseason. And then you talked about the back half locked up Tyson Campbell, who I think is gonna excel in this scheme.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 5: I mean, he's a long guy who can run. They're gonna play a lot more aggressive coverage, a lot of man in Ryan Neilson's defense. So I like that quite a bit. They added a bunch of young guys. It'll be interesting to see where does this who's in the secondary besides Tyson? I mean, if we're guessing, I mean, obviously Cisco has had a great camp so far. I think he's the next Darby.
Speaker 4: Darby will be one corner too.
Speaker 5: I think Darby. I think you're right, Pete, I don't doubt that. My guess is Savage is mere Nickel. Once he gets healthy, he's head. He played a lot of Nickel in green Bell.
Speaker 6: But I know, but when you play when you play him at Nickel, I think I think you can get him with shifty, smaller court receivers.
Speaker 4: I think that's a problem there.
Speaker 3: We'll see.
Speaker 5: I mean he played a lot of out at green Bay, played more. I thought he played more nickel than safety at green Bay.
Speaker 4: And and then Johnson will be the other safe.
Speaker 5: Antonio Johns will be the other safety. So and then you got all the young guys you talked about. The other interesting thing on defense, Ryan Nielson's come in flipped a lucon and Lloyd Devin. Lloyd Devn's gonna be the Mike linebacker. Foyer will still have the green dot, he'll still call the defense, but he's gonna be in the whale.
Speaker 4: Thus, Lewacon runs better. That's what that is. Coverage.
Speaker 3: I don't think he runs better Pete.
Speaker 5: I think he's better in coverage because he's so precise in everything he does.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Maybe, but he also looks like he runs a little bit better. I think going straight forward, I think Lloyd's good. I think turning and running is a problem for him sometimes. Okay, what'd you think of the run play when he jumped through the run fit the other day on the big run that was on him.
Speaker 3: Well, they started up front, they got washed yeah, like three they've got washed three gaps and so now and then the.
Speaker 4: Walker almost made the play coming down from the end.
Speaker 3: They got washed quite a bit.
Speaker 5: And then where Devin when he got you got uh, he got covered up by the line guy who had a release from the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 4: So I love what they've done on defense.
Speaker 7: I think they're bigger, They're they're tougher, they're more physical, I think, and I think that's Matt it has that matters.
Speaker 6: And you mentioned it, Tony. Look, I talked to Heinz Walker. I had him in an interview.
Speaker 5: And who's heines Walker?
Speaker 6: Allan, I'm sorry, Well, see I combined the two of them because for forty sacks this year. No, you were right, Tony was right. We got to give him credit for that too. I don't want to give him credit for it, but.
Speaker 4: He was right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I mean I talked to him and and he's big, he says, he's he's so much bigger. He feels so much more comfortable going forward, Like we talked about that all last year, don't you his best football's played going forward? Why the hell did I have him dropping into coverage all the time? And and same with not all the time, but the same with Walker. But I did ask him, JP, you were right. I asked him about the motivation for not being a game wrecker, and it was on his it had it was on his phone. He said he admitted to it, and he had it on there for a while. So, like I told him, I said, I'm his life coach.
Speaker 7: I got him straight and and the way I look at it, I didn't tell him this, but maybe he should send me a little bit of a cut for that check.
Speaker 3: You know, maybe shocking shocking. Pete thinks he should get paid for doing nothing, for criticizing being a loud mouth. He wants to get paid.
Speaker 6: But the funny thing about that is is I got blamed for the lack of the game wrecker talk.
Speaker 4: I would not. I was not alone on that one, but Seldy was right there with me.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's true. I think we were all pretty much in agreement.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and listen at that pobably. I mean they had to go prove it.
Speaker 5: I'll be honest, I would tell Josh this. I mean, Josh is a friend of mine. I mean we have a great relationship. I love him, loved him last year before he had seventeen a half sacks. I've always thought he's a has the ability to be the dude, that guy, but me believing it, it's like Trevor. I think Trevor's one of the best, can be one of the best quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: In the NFL.
Speaker 5: Me thinking that doesn't really matter. At the end of the day, you got to go do it on the field. Trevor needs to do that. I believe he will. I thought Josh heinz Allen had that ability, he had not done it yet.
Speaker 4: And he did it game wrecker.
Speaker 3: Now when you have seventeen and half sacks Pete, yes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but remember the three he had and for I told him this too.
Speaker 6: The three had in week one don't count, no.
Speaker 5: No, but two of them maybe not there, but he had. He had a bunch of rushes. But here's the other thing, Pete, he also had one of the highest UH pressure percentages.
Speaker 6: I mean, so I think he's gonna be I think he's gonna be better in this defense even than he was a hero.
Speaker 3: I do too.
Speaker 5: My my assessment of him is not just the seventeen and a half sacks. Go look at his win rate. In his pressure rate. It was one of the best in the NFL.
Speaker 4: That's not I think it's going to be even better. So yes, to answer the question, I think he is a game wrecker.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm with you.
Speaker 7: Now the question becomes is does the other guy become a game wrecker on the other side.
Speaker 1: Well, he closed the season pretty good, right.
Speaker 4: Well, but he's not.
Speaker 6: I mean again, we the same criticism we had in the beginning of last year. We were having at the end of last year rushing smack dab into the chest to this the offensive tackle and so. But from talking to people when I was up there, and you guys have watched more practice than me, he's improved in his hands and his ability to to bend a little bit more and and be better with his past rush.
Speaker 4: And I don't. I haven't. I only was there one day and it looked that way. But I'm just the people I talked to, they said, that's been accurate.
Speaker 5: Well, and I think you have to look at Trayvond.
Speaker 3: What kind of rusher is he going to be. He's a power player, and so if you're looking for the really slick like Okay, Miles Garrett, this is I mean, I think he's the best pass rusher.
Speaker 5: I think he's the best defensive end in football in my opinion right now. And so if I watch Miles Garrett, Miles Garrett can power you. He has great hips, he can turn the corner, he can dip, he can use his hands like he is, He's the best right now. If I look at Trayvon Walker, who has a build you know, I'm not identical, but it's like a presence with length and size and strength and speed. I don't know if he ever had I don't know if he has the mobility and the movements of the hands and hips. Well it's not just the twitch, it's just I mean it's just the hips too. Where he's going to be that style of rusher what I think he is. I think he is developing into that power rusher who gets you leaning and they can work the edges because you're so afraid of his power.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I'm trying to figure out who who is like? Who is he? Like?
Speaker 6: I mean, like it's hard to because you know, those those twitchy, smaller explosive guys you could kind of compare guys to, But where where are the big power rushers Tony If you think back in history, where are the big power How big was Strahan when he played?
Speaker 4: Was he a big power rusher?
Speaker 10: He was?
Speaker 5: I mean he played on the left side, Pete, So I mean the only time I ever blocked him was in the Pro Bowl.
Speaker 3: So I I mean you have to ask Sercey that.
Speaker 6: I mean, what about when you guys, but when you played against big power rushers that would be compared.
Speaker 3: I'll give you.
Speaker 5: I'll give you an interesting comparable that a lot of people don't remember, you do Pete is Sean Jones. Yes, Sean Jones was a when I played taller. It was taller, not much, not much taller when I played him in nineteen ninety five. The first game I played, when we played him on Sunday night in Green Bay, he came in I think with one hundred and seven hundred and eight sacks.
Speaker 3: That's a lot.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 5: And I remember playing them and it wasn't that you're I was never worried about his him beating me athletically.
Speaker 3: Like speed or but he was.
Speaker 4: But he was six seven.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Tray Bond six five sixty six. I mean he's he's long. But Sean Jones had power and he could lean on you and then if he got you leaning, he'd work the rit move or he could you know, he could get you off balance. And so that's the type of player. You know another you know, this guy's a Hall of Famer. But remember Chris Dolman Pete.
Speaker 3: He was a big, powerful, heavy handed, hump move, rit move, bull rush type of guy. Again, big bodied, lean on you type of guy, dominant, hall of famer.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: And so I think that's how trade bon and and what in watching him at the end of last year and watching him camp so far and just seeing the again small sample of work, I think that's where he's going.
Speaker 3: He's so dominant it's to run and he can.
Speaker 5: He's disrupted, he's violent, and I think that he's gonna get better and better at rushing the pastor. And I think again last year I said they'd have twenty five They're gonna have at least twenty five stacks combined.
Speaker 4: Again this year, come on, you gotta go higher.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm okay, I will when it's time before the season, I will.
Speaker 4: I will walk sixty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Strandon was not as heavy as we got to go to break well back in a moment. We've got special teams talk ahead.
Speaker 3: And we've got off season two. Talk to off season. We got a whole hour to go we do. What are you worried about? I thought it was just an hour tonight. No, well, you can leave if you want. Pete and I will carry the rest. That'd be the best show of the year.
Speaker 4: Usually.
Speaker 3: Hey Pete, Hey Pete. Guess what, At some point here in the near future, we're gonna get a show without JP that will be the best show in the history of the franchise through the roof. Oh my goodness, they can't wait for just Pete and nine.
Speaker 4: That will turn the radio off.
Speaker 3: We're back. The Moment's Jaguars Happy Hour presented by Jet Home Loans.
Speaker 4: That's pretty cool.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's pre season, it doesn't really count it, but it was exciting to be able to start off as this movie it's brand new and being able to be the one.
Speaker 4: Probably one of the first big returns. That was a cool moment for.
Speaker 7: Me and just want to continue to propel myself with that.
Speaker 3: Welcome Back Jaguars Happy Hour presented by Jet Home Loans. That's Parker Washington on the kickoff return looking for the MVP of the truck Game. Better check out the twenty twenty four Ford F one fifty loaded with impressive capability and game changing tech. You can dominate, workplay and everything in between. Test drive an F one fifty at your local for dealer. Proud partner of the Jacksonville Jaguars. If he Shatterick Tony Bisselli Pete Prisco. Only a couple of minutes left before the second hour of the program tonight when we finished with special teams seventy three yard kickoff for turned by Washington, forty five yarder from Tank Bigsby, who also had a good night in the running game as well, and then the Jaguars scored a safety when the kickoff win in the end zone came back out and then Mkole Hardman pulled it back in and kneel down. They had to review it, and of course the Jaguars feels like I have a kicker now, the place kicker, the rookie out of Arkansas, Cam Little, has a leg on him. He missed the sixty two yarder, who made his other three attempts in the game, So Pete's Special Team's pretty good day at the office.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that sixty two yarder was long enough.
Speaker 1: Oh, it hit the middle of the net.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 5: I was on the field when that was kicked, and I didn't know how long it was where I was sitting at the other end. I'm like, I wonder how far this is? And then I saw it go flying with velocity into the net and I'm like, wow, it's pretty good. I obviously missed it wide left. And when I found out that was a sixty two yarder, that's good bye. That's good at seventy. Yeah, oh yeah, I mean all day long, yep, good at seventy.
Speaker 7: You know, it's it's interesting. And look, if you look at it on the surface, you could.
Speaker 6: Sit here and say, well, if if Washington can return like that, then you need to spend the money on on Dubernay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, do you need two returners?
Speaker 1: You need to kick off now you do.
Speaker 6: Look, I think teams are gonna get to the point where they just kicked the ball out of the ends and say go ahead and start out of thirty.
Speaker 1: Until they changed the rule to thirty five.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think that's what John Payton's point is is like, make it to thirty five, then you you are in a pickle.
Speaker 1: And they said this is an ongoing process. They could change things as it goes.
Speaker 4: It stinks. It's a stupid rule.
Speaker 5: Okay, time out, quick, you got a minute. By the way, why do you think it's stupid? Real quick, and I'll give you my opinion. I disagree with.
Speaker 6: The ball on a twenty five or thirty yard line and play football if you don't.
Speaker 5: If you know, I love it. You need the kick to be a play. You got to defend it. It's part of the game. And I think the new rule is outstanding. I would tweak it and make it go to the thirty five if.
Speaker 3: You kick it deep.
Speaker 5: I think it's an exciting play. That's what fans want. It's like we're in the entertainment, but it's safe.
Speaker 4: They want it's safer. You know, it's been getting blasted the returner.
Speaker 3: I love it. I think it's great. We'll continue this discussion and we'll talk about the off season. That was that's coming up in the second hour of Jaguars Happy Hour.
Speaker 10: In just a moment, I did turn the day about talking to people.
Speaker 1: See all really the assets where.
Speaker 10: It's the but the potential it's.
Speaker 11: Just unbelievable, and for me, it was about bringing that all together. So you know, I'm I'm a deep believer and never doubt Jacksonville, and I think a lot more people now, you know, even outside the city, now know that you know our potential is unlimited.
Speaker 3: Jaguars owners shot con during the game broadcast night on the Jaguars Television Network.
Speaker 1: Welcome Back.
Speaker 3: The second hour of Jaguars Happy Hour is presented by Mister Chubby's Wings before the game, after the game, and during the game. JP Shadrick, Tony Boselli from the Miller Electric Center, the Hundai Studios and Pete Prisco down in South Florida. Your social media questions coming up a little bit. Will keep it real as we always do.
Speaker 1: And hey, the Jaguars being real. Yeah, We're gonna keep it real.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Check fake until that so fake the first hour fake fake news. This hour real coming up. Jaguars are the preseason Week one went over the Chiefs. Offensive and defensive starters played two drives. The Jags did not turn the ball over. Defense logged five sacks and thirteen quarterback hits in the game. Special teams impacts were felt all night two long kickoff returns and of safety. And now it's onto preseason Week two. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers come to town joint practices Wednesday and Thursday here at the Miller Electric Center. Those tickets are gone, by the way, and it's the final open practices of training camp. Starter is expected to get most of their work this week in those practices against the Bucks.
Speaker 5: So I want to go back to that clip that we played, bringing it back with Shod Khan.
Speaker 1: Yes, it gives us a transition to our offseason.
Speaker 3: We talked about offseason.
Speaker 5: Three big thing kind of areas stadium, lock it up your guys, and then player acquisition we'll call it draft free agency. We'll talk about all that, but start with the stadium. You know what hit me watching that? And I've heard set talk about this a bunch. How fortunate, And Pete, you have a perspective because you're here.
Speaker 3: From the beginning.
Speaker 5: How fortunate we've been as an organization and then also as a city to have two great owners and the right owners for the right moment like what Wayne Weaver and the Weaver family did and leading the way of bringing a team to Jacksonville. And he was here when that happened. I was obviously brought in afterwards kind of the underdog city and to make it an NFL town was remarkable and what he did throughout the life of his time as the owner. He was a great owner and did a great job. And then even in selling it to find an owner that was committed to Jacksonville because he could Wayne could have done whatever Jacksonville was important to him. And selling it to Shad Khan who comes in no ties to Jacksonville but literally adopts Jacksonville and believes in the potential of this city, not just from as an NFL city, but also from downtown and infrastructure and investment.
Speaker 3: It's really remarkable because you don't know what you're.
Speaker 5: Gonna get from the owner. I mean, and we were fortunate with Wayne. Like I said that he was the owner my whole time here. Was great to work with, great owner, and then when you transition you sell it. You don't know how a guy coming in who has no real ties to the city house him and his family going to view the city. And what the con family, led by Shot have done for this organization and the latest of getting the stadium approved this offseason with the help of the leadership from the city Council and the Mayor's office. Meridgan is tremendous. It's going to change this city. It's going to keep this franchise here for thirty plus more years. It's gonna, i believe, gonna kick off even more development downtown from office to housing, to restaurants to entertainment, to hotels, and going to have a state of art facility to have all kinds of events, not just NFL on Sundays concerts and everything else. I just I sat back watching that little clip as just we were coming back, and I knew this already, but it hit me in Mike boy. I'm glad the franchise that I loved, and I had no choice when I came here because that's who I drafted me. But have made it my home that we've had. We're fortunate to have two great owners lead this organization and be part of the leadership of the city.
Speaker 6: And the amazing thing about it, Tony is if Wayne Weaver had taken the NFL up on its offer to be the number one owner in Saint Louis, there might not be a franchise in Jacksonville.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 4: So people don't.
Speaker 6: Realize that they went to Wayne and they said, Wayne, we want you, but we want you in Saint Louis and he said no, he said, I want Jacksonville.
Speaker 10: Wow.
Speaker 6: And that's how it ended up in Jacksonville. And so Wayne was Wayne did a heck of a job. Was passionate about that team, passionate about the city. And you're right, Sead con has done the same thing for so many years. Have we heard the stories about going to London and moving to a new city and going here and the fans don't back them. And look, guys, I work with Jason Lockafour. I've told them, I've argued with him. He owes me dinner because of it. We made a bet. I said they were never going anywhere, and Sead Cohn is committed to keep it that team at Jacksonville. I think it's great for the city. It's great that they got the They need a new stadium to make that thing fresh and new, and I think it's fantastic. But you're right, Tony, they need to build it around. They need to build up the city around the stadium.
Speaker 4: They have to. It's time.
Speaker 6: I mean downtown Jacksonville, with the river being what it is, is so underutilized for what it can be. You know, I've always been a big believer that if I if I was the mayor of that city, I'd get the jail the hell out of there and put it in cecil Field. I would make develops down there, bars and restaurants, so you can take uber from the beach or wherever southside and be stuck downtown.
Speaker 7: But you have options. It's not just one, two, three places. You have fifteen of them.
Speaker 6: And then you know, for right now there's nothing to do down there. You got to make it a destination. I think they will, and I think getting a stadium done will help that.
Speaker 1: That's the first time I had heard the Wayne Weaver to Saint Louis story. But it's also shod Con story too.
Speaker 3: It d Rockey doesn't take the option on the Rams, then shot cons the owner of the Rams in Saint Louis. No, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: We're we are fortunate to have two guys who believed in Jacksonville and wanted to make it work here.
Speaker 3: And I love what Sead said.
Speaker 5: He goes, I'm a bleak believer in the future and the potential of Jacksonville, like he has been from the beginning.
Speaker 6: And neither one of them were Jacksonville. No I'm telling you wasn't a Jacksonville guy either.
Speaker 5: No, we've been fortunate two great owners at the right time for the right circumstances. And that goes into the second point. I mean, look at what we did this offseason with signing Trevor Lawrence.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about the two that happened in the offseason.
Speaker 5: First, Trevor Lawrence and Josh Heinz Allen two blockbuster deals and basically said and like that takes a it's yes, salary cap and yes, I'm not I mean, the owners make a ton of money in the TV deal and there's a lot of money and everything else. However, and Pete knows this, and I know JP knows this too. Not all owners are created equal when it comes to cash out lay guaranteed and what and how what you can do. And the commitment from Shod Cohn and the con family to invest in Trevor Lawrence and Josh Eines Allen is big time. And that's like, you got to sign up your stars. It's important for the organization, it's important for the fan base, so they have guys that can follow and fall in love with. And then it can't bring in Tyson Campbell and and locking him up to a good deal for both sides. And I just thought that.
Speaker 3: Was so important this offseason. And for a while, I didn't know if it was gonna get done.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, I wish we could have got the Josh Eines Allen done deal a little bit earlier. Maybe that'd give him some freedom what we did with other people, But so be it. It didn't happen for whatever reason. But getting that done and with UH, with Trent as part of the process lead the way and the front office and working with Shod and working with Doug and everyone working together to get those two deals done are huge. And then and Tyson Campbell as well. That's that's you got to have those players.
Speaker 6: And here's the other thing, Tony, you mentioned the cash part of it. Look, Shod Cohn is one of the wealthiest owners of the NFL. He can write checks for cash, you know he can. But here's the difference between a lot of the other wealthy owners like we Stan Cronky as example. Kronky has the revenue stream of Los Angeles in that stadium. There's a big difference the money that comes into a franchise in a city like LA with that stadium compared to what's coming in from this city of Jacksonville is different, and that makes it more of a challenge to come off the hip for the cash for a guy like shod Cohn. So yeah, I mean, look, you had to do it. You have to lock up your franchise quarterback, so sooner rather than later. We know this thing's gonna keep going up. You have an edge rusher who's coming off an unreal season, he's in his prime. You had to do it. Then we get to the other one. That one is more based on what he can.
Speaker 4: Do Tyson Campbell than what he's done.
Speaker 6: I think there's speculating a little bit more on that one than on the other two.
Speaker 3: Now Devil's advocate on that, Pete, Could you argue that with the quarterback.
Speaker 7: Too, No, No, if you go back and look at the quarterbacks games in the last year and a half year over the course of two seasons when he was healthy, if you add those numbers up, no.
Speaker 3: And I also think you look at the quarterback differently.
Speaker 5: The question you have to ask yourself, can we envision this guy leading us to his championship? And unequivocal yes, with Trevor Lawrence.
Speaker 6: Well, here's the other thing about about the Campbell and and the Hinds Allen signings. They're getting what top five money at the position both of them.
Speaker 3: Is Tyson Campbell top five?
Speaker 4: Pete, I wasn't thinking.
Speaker 3: I wasn't sure that I believe Josh is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think he's close. But if he if he if he's if he's one of.
Speaker 6: The top five paid corners, he's certainly not one of the top five corners in the league.
Speaker 3: No, not at this point.
Speaker 5: The way I looked at it and looked at the structure of the deal, and I just full disclosure. It's not like I spent a bunch of time on this comparing, you know, his deal to other corners. But the sense I got Pete it was I thought it was a smart move. If you believe that he is a he's your number one corner and it can be that for a while, especially in the style of defense that Ryan Nielsen wants to play, because that's a premium position and he's he's not going to get any cheaper.
Speaker 3: When he's a free agent, and you know that if if you.
Speaker 6: Get to the third year of that deal, and they'll tear it up because he's his cap figure is twenty three to nine, twenty four to eight in those you know, so it's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, because you know this beat, if they will let him get the free agency, let's just say he's the top ten corner somebody's gonna pay him a bunch of money because that's a premium position. Tyson Campbell.
Speaker 1: Now the uh let's see one, two, three, four, seventh highest paid average per year?
Speaker 3: Yeah, corner.
Speaker 4: Is he the seventh best cornerback in the league? So as of right now, he's not.
Speaker 3: No, he's not.
Speaker 5: But Trevor is one of the top five highest paid quarterbacks. And if you asked anyone, is he one of the top five quarterbacks? No, but that you can't.
Speaker 4: I think that the point earlier quarterbacks a different position. When I.
Speaker 5: Agree with that, however, I also think it's smart that you have to be looking forward because you can't put yourself in a position as an organization what happened with Josh heinz Allen last year, where you are now at the mercy of either a franchise tag or negotiating against the rest of the league to try to keep your guys. If you believe and obviously Trent Doug and the powers that be believe that Tyson Campbell is your number one corner and can be that for the long term, and that he fits how you want to play football and play defense. If that's the case, I'm okay paying a little bit more earlier because that number is going to grow and next year, guess what he'll be about the twelfth highest paid corner in the league.
Speaker 4: Well, he has to be a top ten corner this year, though you would agree.
Speaker 5: With that, Yeah, I mean that's what that's what you're projecting.
Speaker 4: Top ten.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's what you're projecting, no doubt about it. But you know this works. You could be a top five, top seven paid player, whatever the metric is.
Speaker 3: The next year, you're not gonna be. That doesn't last long.
Speaker 5: It does because the caps only going up and guys are only gonna get paid more money. And it's only it's gonna if they go to eighteen games, it's gonna increase even more.
Speaker 6: And so of the three, that one was a little the more most eye opening of the three deal.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't say it was eye opening, Pete.
Speaker 5: It did catch me by surprise that they were that proactive thinking ahead, and I liked it though. I thought it was a good move by Trent, and I thought they did a good job getting him locked up because I do think.
Speaker 3: He's a he's a he's a top half quarter in this league.
Speaker 4: He's paid like a top top corner.
Speaker 3: So he's paid like a top No think about this. Be hold on a.
Speaker 6: Top half corner makes you you know what, thirty two better than thirty two in your top half quarner.
Speaker 5: No, I said when I was saying, he's a top sixteen, top half number one corn so I got a thirty two teams, I think you would say he's one of the top sixteen corners in this league.
Speaker 3: What is that face? Look at that thing?
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, seriously, I don't know if he's he's ten to fifteen.
Speaker 5: Well a year ago, before last year, he was one of the highest rate PFF corners in the NFL.
Speaker 3: Is still.
Speaker 4: You're good?
Speaker 3: I was hoping you guys wouldn't. I was actually hoping you wouldn't catch that. I use it.
Speaker 1: What does the world come to?
Speaker 3: I was hold that would slide by on the download man. Fair enough, I got caught by the way.
Speaker 1: Ten to fifteen is still top sixteen, Pete.
Speaker 6: No, you think he's a ten to fifteen of the number one corners in the league.
Speaker 4: Problem?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I do. I do.
Speaker 4: But here's the problem. Some teams have two that are better than eh.
Speaker 3: I don't know about that.
Speaker 1: We've got plenty ahead. We haven't even touched play calling.
Speaker 3: Well, we're not going to get to that. We're talking.
Speaker 5: I want to talk free agency and draft real quick, because I think that was like listen, we have not talked about it. I'd love Pete's opinion because they went I'll say this on the free agency side, they went with older guys and there's risk in that.
Speaker 3: Now they got good players.
Speaker 5: Mitch Morris good player, ten year guy, Eric Armstead good player, ten year guy coming off injuries, Darby older player. I mean they went after older guys. Now Kave Davis is a fifth year guy.
Speaker 1: But they're all from winning organizations too.
Speaker 5: I'm not saying that, but I don't know if you know this, uh JP, Old guys usually don't get healthier, stronger, and faster.
Speaker 4: It's a young man.
Speaker 3: I'm not being don't take this as critical of any of those guys, because they're all really good players, and if they are healthy. They make this team better, and so I understand why, but it's not without some risk.
Speaker 4: Not so questions are what do they have left? I mean, I'll be honest.
Speaker 6: I was in Buffalo last week and I asked about Morse and they liked him.
Speaker 4: They liked him around. He's a great guy to have in the building.
Speaker 6: But you know, some people were wondering how much does he have left and how much will he be committed to it for past past a couple of years. I mean, that's that's the issue. When you signed guys like that.
Speaker 1: A couple of years, two years.
Speaker 4: Tony's right, ten years is that's a long time in the NFL. You No.
Speaker 3: My only point is I'm less worried about Mitch Morris because if you look at his career, there's no there's no like glaring injury history. He had concussions at one point, he did, but he's been consistent on the field the last several years. Pete, if I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 4: He's a good and he's a good player.
Speaker 6: But by the way, it's like somebody told me once, wait, long time ago, they wanted to get rid of Tebow and Denver, and the only way they could get rid of him was to sign Peyton Man. They didn't care if he was healthy or not. It got him out of there. Well, you know what, you got to get somebody in there to get rid of Luke Fordner in the middle of that line to become an effective offense.
Speaker 4: They got somebody. So if if it's for a year or two, they did the right thing.
Speaker 5: And okay, but I'm just looking. I mean, you look at like Eric Armstead. I think Air Armstead healthy is one of the better three techniques in this league.
Speaker 3: And he's long, and he's.
Speaker 5: A very good pass rusher. He's played on winning teams. He's a physical force. But he's also a ten year guy coming off of a surgery.
Speaker 4: And he hasn't practiced yet.
Speaker 5: Right, And I'm not like I'm a believer in Eric Armstead. I'm just saying, when you take that path, that strategy where we're gonna go get veteran guys, older guys winning organizations because we want to change the locker room, we want to change the mentality, we want that winning culture. Those are all positives. I raised my hand, I'm in and guess what, A lot of times that works. But there's risk with that and if you look at what we did up front, besides that, especially in the offensive line, we didn't do much else. Now, on the defensive line, they did go in the draft and got Mason Smith and they made some other moves. But that's the one thing that it will be interesting Like that would be my only criticism of the offseason.
Speaker 3: We gotta come back.
Speaker 4: We'll say this, I know you gotta break j one quick thing.
Speaker 6: One of those off young offensive lineman caught my eye on tape the other day.
Speaker 5: By the way, was it the guy who played right guard then left guard?
Speaker 4: Yes, yep, that guy needs to play.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, well, let's come back to the offensive line because I'm with you, Pete.
Speaker 3: But where do you play him and whose job does he take?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're gonna keep it real when we come back.
Speaker 3: That might be a good keep it real. I think it's great and I want to make sure before we go to break.
Speaker 5: Yes, I'm not being critical of Eric Armistead, Mitch Morris or their signings at all. They're starting caliber. They make you better. My only point is when you sign ten year guys that have history like that's always a concern.
Speaker 3: Now being critical that means they're trying. Pete, Pete, do you disagree with me?
Speaker 4: I'm not being I agree with you, but we're being critical.
Speaker 3: We're making it okay.
Speaker 10: Fair.
Speaker 3: Chubbies brought in I mean wings tonight, chicken raps for our production staff. Tony, it's for you as well, if you'd like to get out there and have some Mister Chubbies wings before the game, after the game end, during the game.
Speaker 1: We'll keep it real when we come back.
Speaker 3: It's Jaguars Happy Hour presented by mister Chubby's Wings. It's Jaguars Happy Hour presented by Mister Chubby's Wings. Live like a VIP with a Daily's Place Blue membership, you'll see John Legend, Jane's Addiction, Creed, Alanis Morris set it so much more and you'll enjoy guaranteed seats of the best locations, premium parking of VIP entrants, and club access. For more email ticketing at Boldevents dot com or call nine O four six three three two thousand. JP Shadwick Tony Boselli from the Miller Electric Center, the Hyundai's Studios Pee Prisco down in South Florida. Time for Keeping It Real presented by Well it's available this year. We've got a couple of topics tonight. We started with the offensive line, as Tony referenced earlier, and we got our first look at guys in the game and the most offensive snaps. For the offensive line, cole Van Lannon and Cooper Hodges each played forty nine snaps in the game eighty four percent of the offensive snaps. Luke Fordner got thirty four snaps, fifty nine percent, Walker Little, who started at right tackle, played thirty snaps in the game. Javon Foster, the addition from Missouri in the draft, forty eight percent, and Shatley got a bunch of snaps at guard. The starters Robinson Morrison Sheriff each had nine snaps and left the game, And of course Anton Harrison out with a concussion, and left guard Ezra Cleveland did not play in the game. So you guys referenced a player who played right guard and left guard in the game.
Speaker 5: Well, based on what you just said, Cooper Hodges, I was impressed, and you know he fought that he got hurt.
Speaker 3: Last year.
Speaker 5: He had a good camp till he got hurt. This camp he had I think he had something to bother him early.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it was ever a discloser, but there's.
Speaker 5: Something he felt like and I remember watching some limitations or something he played during camp. He's played center, He's played guard a lot of center. That's what Jeff's told me. I haven't seen as many practices he has, and so I was really interested to see what he did when he came into the game because.
Speaker 3: He is a big, powerful man.
Speaker 5: Like he is strong, and I think one of the criticisms that I had last year of this team was that we struggled to move the ball, moved the line of scrimmage, control line scrimmage, third and one, third and two fourth and one goal line situations, played a lot of two point stance, and we didn't really displace the.
Speaker 3: Defensive line very often. Watching Hodges, he moves people. He is physical. He's a big, strong man, and if it continues, I think you got to find a way to get him on the field. Now it's one preseason game. We'll see what he does during Uh. He's really a rookie if you think about it, because he's not played any NFL games. It would be interesting to see how he matches up against the Bucks and these two practices. He's going to get a lot of reps because I don't think the starters are going to play much in the game, so that means he's going to play a lot. But early indications very positive, and that's what you need to do. I mean the mid mid round.
Speaker 5: Pick small school, smaller school, we'll play tackle in college.
Speaker 3: You bring him in.
Speaker 5: He's a guard and he has a physicality that can help you win football games. And I thought he played well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I thought he was really physical playing right and he looked more comfortable on the right side. Tony, I thought, I thought he looked much more comfortable on the right side, really got into people, moved him in the run game, got off his blocks, and got to the second level, which again sometimes when you're a big, powerful guy, that's not necessarily.
Speaker 7: A strength of yours, and you know they want to do a lot of that. So I was impressed.
Speaker 6: And look, if he continues to play like that, dare we say it that maybe he's a starter?
Speaker 3: So who do you bench?
Speaker 4: I know where I would I play the right guard.
Speaker 5: Paying a lot of money for your right guard Pete to have him as a backup.
Speaker 6: Okay, but you you said something before that I thought was very telling about.
Speaker 4: The right guard isn't as physical as he used to be.
Speaker 3: No, I mean he's he's played a lot of football, tenth to your player, a lot of football. He doesn't. He's not, he's not. He's on another team.
Speaker 4: He signed him to a deal next year.
Speaker 3: I mean, like if I want, if I.
Speaker 4: If I you guys didn't laugh at that one.
Speaker 3: I'm trying. I'm talking about I'm trying to be nice Pete and not engage in your ridiculous comments. But I mean, if you if you look at Brandon Sheriff, he is a veteran leader, really smart football player. He's a pros pro. I think he's still very good. What I still think he is a good past, good pass blocker. He's not he's gonna never gonna be in the wrong position. He's not gonna have missed assignments. But the but he's not gonna he's not a road grader. He doesn't have the legs that he once did. He's not gonna you know, move people like a younger. Like as not his game anymore. And but he's still a good football player. So I mean, and they signed Ezra Cleveland offseason paid him some money to be a starter as well.
Speaker 5: There's only spots, only two guards.
Speaker 6: But don't you think, don't you think Hodges look better on the right side than he did in the left though.
Speaker 5: I'd have to I'd have to watch it closer. Pete, I didn't jump, that didn't jump out at me.
Speaker 4: Watch it, watch it, you'll see.
Speaker 3: But I thought what.
Speaker 5: Jumped out of what jumped out at me is his physicality, No doubt, that's what jumped out at me.
Speaker 3: So now it's early, small sample size.
Speaker 4: Listen, that wasn't exactly playing Chris Jones either.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, he was not.
Speaker 5: And so yeah, like, how does he handle a elite like we know that Brandon Sheriff against elite three techniques can manage the situation, and it's savvy enough to figure out how to you know, play against a guy like that just because of his instincts, his knowledge, his you know everything about him, and he's athletic.
Speaker 6: But but but on the surface, looking at the two and the way their style of play is, if you want to be a better running team, which they want to be, he would seem to be more apt to be that guy that would amp up the run game.
Speaker 3: I would agree with that. I just don't.
Speaker 5: I mean, you're gonna have had like this, By the way, this is what you want. This is how this is a good sign that you're a good team. Like you want hard decisions like that to be in front of you. Like, we have multiple guys that we think are starters. How do we organize this and who who? What gives us the best opportunity to play the style football that we want to play.
Speaker 4: What'd you think of the left tackle? The starter?
Speaker 3: Small? I mean yeah, fine?
Speaker 4: Just what did you think of Walker Little at right tackle?
Speaker 3: Same thing? Fine? I mean I thought it was fine. No, I mean I didn't. I didn't.
Speaker 5: Wasn't jumping out of my chair going that was amazing. But there was nothing that you watch it like, oh my gosh, we're in trouble. I mean no, So I mean you always gotta be careful, I think with the veterans sometimes in these early preseason games. Yeah, you know, how much Like how much juice did Cam really go out there?
Speaker 3: Yeah? When it gets real, he always has he has the juice.
Speaker 6: Okay, but Tony, you played the preseason sometimes that if you didn't, If you didn't, you didn't have the same juice, but when you lined up, you're playing.
Speaker 4: You're not gonna let somebody beat you either.
Speaker 5: No new So that's why I hated preseason, because you go in there with not as much juice. You're trying to just you know, if I'm being honest, there's times I'm like, you're counting the plays to get through the quarter or the half or whatever, because you know you're not it's not about winning or losing per se. I mean, overall, you want to win the game, but you're not going to be in it to impact it. And so really you're going out there to try to get good work, put good film on it on tape, I mean, put good work on film and uh. And the other thing is I didn't want to be embarrassed because I knew I was gonna have to watch it with Mike Maser the next day. I had no desire to have my you know what ripped. And then there's just professional pride. You're stepping on the field and you know that the other thirty one teams are gonna see this. But it's harder. I mean, if I'm being honest, Pete, it was harder. Oh yeah, as a veteran, I didn't like, I'm like, my goodness, like we're gonna go out there, especially if like you're playing some young guy who's trying to do something impressive. I'm like, listen, I'm just trying to get my work in like.
Speaker 1: He's trying to do. To the preseason.
Speaker 3: I'm like, come on, you know, and I'll tell Pete.
Speaker 5: I'll tell a story my second year, and I'll be quick because I know we're playing the Rams in the preseason and uh, Leslie O'Neill is the right end in the preseason, and you know, growing up in the NFC West, he was at San Diego Charger, forever Pro Bowl player, All Proague, one of the best, I mean, really good right end, top right end.
Speaker 3: And I remember going to the game.
Speaker 5: I was like, I was a little anxious and nervous, like, hey, I got I got a good player, and I went and just wore him out the preseason. I mean, I was like, come on, what's going on here? We played him six weeks seven weeks later in the regular season, and I'll remember, never forget the first series.
Speaker 3: It was a different dude. I walked to the sideline, I'm like, okay, uh, this is a different guy I'm playing because you know, I went into the game like I know this guy feel good. I mean, it's gonna be a problem.
Speaker 5: And it was a It was a fistfight for sixty minutes against Leslie O'Neill because he dial it up. It was a different pace and everything else, which I should have known. It was my second year. But as a veteran guy, you gotta.
Speaker 3: Be careful not to.
Speaker 5: Take it too easy or too lacks of days ago. You have to bring enough energy because one, it's a dangerous game. You don't want to get hurt. You don't want to get someone else hurt, and you don't want to look like a fool on the field. So but that's a long way of saying Cam, like was it great?
Speaker 3: Was it bad? It's like, Okay, he went out, got some working nine.
Speaker 4: Give me the five starting line offensive lineman on a.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be right now.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna say Cam left, Ezra left guard, Mitch center, Brandon right guard, and Anton Harrison right tackle.
Speaker 4: Okay, give me the starting lineup six weeks in fete.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I'm not going down that path, you.
Speaker 6: Know, because we've heard all about Cooper Hodges and so I was like a little you know, sometimes you hear this.
Speaker 5: Oh, I was so tired of Jeff Logman. It has a man crush on Cooper Hodges.
Speaker 4: When I was there, he was talking about I'm like, Jeff, stop here. And then when I watched the tape, I went yeah, And.
Speaker 5: I hate I hate admitting that Logman's right about anything, but he was dead on on that one.
Speaker 10: Man.
Speaker 3: I was like, he was credit.
Speaker 4: Carries over at some point, he's got to get on the field.
Speaker 3: Well he plays like that.
Speaker 1: Pete.
Speaker 3: Yes, that is keeping it real And we're back in a moment with fanatics, fan questions, and plenty more ahead in the final half hour of Jaguars Happy Hour presented by Mister Chubby's Wings. Jaguars Happy Hour continues our second hour presented by Mister Chubby's Wings, Jap Shatterick Tony Busselli from the middle of Electric Center in the Hyundai Studios.
Speaker 1: After preseason Week one.
Speaker 3: Jaguars went over the chief Sits onto Week two, the Buccaneers come to town for Wednesday Thursday joint practices, then the game Saturday night at the Bank. The Buccaneers and the Jaguars coming up time now for the fanatics. So oh yeah, Pete Prisco's here too. He's done in South Florida.
Speaker 6: By the way, by the way real quick before this. So our sponsor for keeping it real is gone.
Speaker 1: Yes, Bob is no longer.
Speaker 4: And Bob never sent us a damn.
Speaker 3: Thing, did Damn we didn't get anything.
Speaker 6: So now we sounded a sponsor. We could take a rip into them for that not sending us anything.
Speaker 1: You have the floor, Pete, But okay, but no, don't mention that.
Speaker 3: Don't bring it up.
Speaker 6: Let's tell the city of Jacksonville. Somebody out there wants to sponsor that segment. Don't they come on our big listening audience.
Speaker 5: Oh, it's not sponsored yet. I didn't pay.
Speaker 3: You didn't miss the part that I said it's available. No, I did not. You listen. I don't listen to.
Speaker 4: You often we met you think Pete to pronoun.
Speaker 5: McCardell. McCardell. I got it, Pete.
Speaker 4: Jimmy smythe was the other WI Jimmy Smith.
Speaker 3: First of all, Heinz Walker does not exist on the planet.
Speaker 4: Okay, I didn't play with it either.
Speaker 3: You you just interviewed.
Speaker 4: Both of them had twelve years with the.
Speaker 1: Let's get to the Fanatics fan questions. Jaguars fans gear up at fanatics dot com with all the latest jag styles. Shop now and get today's special offer. Fanatics dot Com officially licensed everything. We put the cat signal on x earlier today.
Speaker 3: Here's the best we've come up with. It was blowing up.
Speaker 1: I had sea paying Tony. It's hard. You and Peter are the same species.
Speaker 4: We're not.
Speaker 3: I'm a grown man and Pete is a little person.
Speaker 4: I'm a short person, but I'm not a little person. I'm a short person.
Speaker 5: Oh, I was trying to Now, I was trying to. I was gonna say short because you used to be short and wide. Now you're just short and little.
Speaker 4: Well, you used to be tall and wide.
Speaker 3: Fair enough, fair enough. There's a little height discrepancy there. Seth pain of course. Former Jaguars defensive tackle now a radio host down in Houston. Pete, how much weight have you lost?
Speaker 4: About forty something?
Speaker 3: It's pretty good. Do you want to lose any more?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Close?
Speaker 6: It depends what the doctor says. If he says yes, then I'll go. If he says no, I won't. Okay, I got appointment in two weeks.
Speaker 3: You keep tracking. You might want to start keeping track too for yourself.
Speaker 1: So cruel, I'm not what are you talking about?
Speaker 3: Man? All of a sudden, the first I'm in a decade, you're a skinny guy, and now you're it's two judge, it's actually like three deersonal attacks. It's been I was skinny last year. I haven't lost that much a way from last year.
Speaker 1: Yes you have, I have not.
Speaker 6: P It's a shame. It's a shame we didn't get to take the picture this year. Then we could have seen how.
Speaker 3: Speedy in that picture last year, I weighed probably two fifty to fifty two.
Speaker 1: And for those just joining us, I put the picture from last year of us three together.
Speaker 3: I can't x today and I.
Speaker 4: And im and I'm smaller than that and that pic that wasn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was probably to fifty two there and I'm two forty two to forty five now, I mean I'm smaller than that too, for the record, Now you're not not really. Next question at Jinja Ninja five eight, did the Jags do enough on the O line? How much of the run game struggles is personnel versus scheme?
Speaker 5: Well, listen, I mean Pete and I are both the same on this one where it's about Jimmy's and Joe's, not x's and O's. And obviously coach he's important and technique is important. I think Phil Roush is a very good offensive line coach. And so now, do I think they needed to be put their hand in the dirt a little bit more than they did last year? Yeah, I mean I've said that's the phil I mean, but they had a philosophy of that what they were trying to do offensively and what they thought they could do great. I think they change it this year. They could be more hand in the ground. So if you want to call that, you know, technique or philosophy or scheme.
Speaker 3: That's fair.
Speaker 5: But if you look at what they did, I mean, let's call it what it is. They felt like they're good enough upfront except for the center, because they're rolling out the same offensive line outside of the center, and so they basically said.
Speaker 4: We were stood straight up last year. This guy does it. That's the difference.
Speaker 5: Pete, Like, I think we agree, but that I mean, I think the organization agrees. I mean, all you can do is judge it by what they did this offseason, and they basically said our room is good enough as is, except for the center, and we're going to bring in a veteran center to fill that hole. And at the same time developed some of these younger guys like Cooper Hodges and so on and so forth.
Speaker 3: You always got to be doing that.
Speaker 5: But as far as coming out of the last game last year, and they evaluated the offseason, and they evaluated personnel between Trent and Doug, and in this case, I'm sure Phil Rauscher, the offensive line coach, had a voice and they looked at their room and said, we just need to upgrade the center and we are good enough to win and win a championship, because that's the goal.
Speaker 1: I mean, the goal is to win and win.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 5: And I'm pretty I didn't hear it, but I've heard people tell me on the broadcast. Our owner shot con was pretty clear on the broadcast like we're here to win now. I mean, I didn't hear the whole thing, but that's what I was told by people who did listen. I'm sure you heard it, JP kright, you did not, Okay, Stad, That's right, you were in the stadium. But I think the emphasis is like we're going to win now, and they felt like the only change they needed to make to do that is change the center out. So it's the same group with a new center. And do I think it's another that.
Speaker 4: Might have a new right guard right now?
Speaker 5: It's the same group with a new center. And do I think Mitch Morris is a better center than Luke Fordner? I do? Do I think he makes them better? I do? Do I think they'll be better in the run game and in past game and protection because of him.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 4: And Plus you got to assume the growth of Harrison at right tackle.
Speaker 3: M hm, well, that's the only young player you're expecting to get better.
Speaker 4: Well, the growth of Cooper Hodge is at right guard.
Speaker 5: As I said, going in now, obviously they believe in Cooper Hodges and and I do too, especially after what I saw.
Speaker 4: Guy. He's more of an athletic guy. You can get moved, and he is that.
Speaker 3: He is good at the next level. He's athletic, but there's an Ezra has a little nastiness to him. He's a he's a tough But that's the bet they made in the offseason.
Speaker 4: Just I think they'll be better, just because the center's not in there too.
Speaker 1: Next question at Tartan Teal buzzing that the show is Backfellas, which second year guy are you expecting to make the biggest jump this season? You mentioned a few second year guys. Who makes the biggest jump of year two players?
Speaker 5: I'm gonna We've talked enough about Cooper Hodges and I don't know if he's gonna be a starter, so set him aside.
Speaker 3: Offensively, I'm gonna go with Tank big By.
Speaker 1: He looked good at the other season.
Speaker 5: I think he's gonna make the biggest jump uh.
Speaker 3: And I think they are gonna you know, we heard a lot about in the offseas about on boarding a players and so on and so forth. I think they have a plan and they're gonna stick to it with Tank, and I think he's gonna be a big part of uh, of the offense.
Speaker 5: I think he'll make a huge jump. And then I think defensively, it's gonna be Antonio Johnson.
Speaker 6: When you looked at Bigsby was much more decisive the other night. You remember Tony last year and we were critical of them the times when he tried to bounce yep off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought he was really good, Pete and I Yeah, and I'll tell you this, if the turf Monster doesn't get him, takes that touchdown, take the kickoff for a touchdown.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yep. Yeah, he's more decisive.
Speaker 3: He's looked great in camp, and he looked good on Saturday Night. So those are the two guys i'd go with.
Speaker 6: I would agree with you on both of them.
Speaker 3: Easy enough. Final question at dealing Underscore, you're non tan Josh heinz Awen and Trayvon Walker combined for thirty plus sex last year, Tony, you said twenty five and they were over that, what twenty seven and a half? Right at twenty seven and a half, they led the league as a duo. As a duo, would you dare go thirty plus? I'm not going to go thirty plus? Why not? Because I've just that's.
Speaker 4: It because I but you know, it's funny.
Speaker 6: Tony said twenty five last year, and I laughed at him and I said, if they get twenty.
Speaker 4: Five, they're gonna be in the super Bowl. Well, they got twenty five and they weren't close to him.
Speaker 3: They didn't make the playoffs.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yea, So if okay, because Josh Allen's Heinz Allen's probably not getting his seventeen and a half. His has probably come down a little bit, and Trayvon Walkers might go up a little bit, not significantly. So I'm with Tony. I don't think they get the thirty. I think they're like between twenty five and thirty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I tend to agree with you, Pete.
Speaker 5: Here's the wild card though, because they had twenty seven and a half between the two of them, they only had forty as a team, So I mean, he's only twelve and a half game from everyone else. That's their other sources that they didn't This is where I think they could hit even bigger numbers than twenty five. Eric Armstad's healthy because he's gonna push the pocket and that's gonna lead the sacks by the outside guys. And another guy we have not talked about, but I've been impressed with what I've seen so far in camp is is Mason Smith.
Speaker 4: I love him. He is I love them.
Speaker 3: He is coming out violent and physical and long.
Speaker 4: And held up against the double team the other day pretty well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm like, so like, oh now, it's a lot. I'm not putting a number on what he'll do, because that's a lot for a rookie. But I do think he's going to be disruptive in the middle and can add push and the way the rush lurks. If you can push the middle, makes it a lot easier for those guys on the outside to get home.
Speaker 6: Tony, he was a giant recruit, was really on the verge of stardom and tore up that knee. Came back last year, and the early tape when I watched it wasn't very good. But by the end of the season he started to look like himself again. I think that kid has all the ability to be a star inside player.
Speaker 4: I really do. He's just got the size.
Speaker 3: He's violent.
Speaker 5: He's violent, Yes, he's strong, physical, which brings me to.
Speaker 4: This part of that love it. Why was ninety five in the game late in the fourth quarter?
Speaker 1: Is Roy Robertson Harris.
Speaker 5: We talked to Jeff and I were looking at each other. I've heard, so what I'm about to say is my speculation. I've heard nothing from anybody, but being around this league a long time. When your former starting three technique, who I believe they re signed redid his deal in the offseason, so that tells you, yeah, they believe he's a foundational piece, at least for this year.
Speaker 3: When he is playing late.
Speaker 5: In the third, maybe into the fourth of I'm not mistaken in.
Speaker 1: Okay, eighteen snaps in the game totally.
Speaker 5: So when he's playing into the second half, into the fourth quarter in the first preseason game, my little Spidey senses go off and like something's going on here. That means that the front office and the coaching staff or some combination, either one of them or both are not happy with the camp that he's having so far. And to me, that's lighting a little fire and saying, hey, we need to see more because there's no guarantees in this on this rock.
Speaker 6: What can you do with him though, because if you cut him, you take a giant captit on that.
Speaker 3: I don't know, Pete, but I was.
Speaker 5: I was shocked to see him in the game, and like I was shocked to see him in the second half, and all of a sudden, like in the fourth quarter, there's Roy Robinson Harris are starting defensive end and that will be a three technique this year.
Speaker 1: I'm curious how he practices this week against the Bucks.
Speaker 5: I'm really off that I'm curious about the whole dang thing, because that caught me by surprise.
Speaker 3: I've not heard anything.
Speaker 6: There must be other guys that they really like to in there like that, Like you mentioned Smith, but ninety did some good things a little bit too.
Speaker 3: What's his name, Pete.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying that.
Speaker 1: No, say o too, Maywoe.
Speaker 5: Say that again, say come on, let's go, let's get let's get.
Speaker 1: O to Maywoe.
Speaker 4: But he did.
Speaker 3: Ote Maywell. Yeah, I got that one. I want to see you guys, Butcher.
Speaker 6: In Hey, Tony, what about Marshalls? He did some decent things too. Was three ninety three?
Speaker 5: Is Tyler Lacy Marshall's ninety six ninety six?
Speaker 4: He did a couple of good things too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, late, listen my comment like, I was just shocked to see Roy in that late and so, and I don't know anything. Maybe it's nothing, Maybe that that was the plan all along. Maybe he knew about it.
Speaker 5: I just know history, looking back on history and teams that are part of When all of a sudden you see a veteran guy that was a starter and you expected to be a starter or y for a starting job and playing the fourth quarter of the first preseason game.
Speaker 3: You're like, huh, that's interesting. Let's come back in a moment. We'll take a look at joint practices next week. And we haven't been touched on the big fan topic of the offseason. A lot one of them the play calling.
Speaker 5: You want to hit that next, because I got some very strong comments about that.
Speaker 1: I do as well. We'll come back in a moment.
Speaker 3: This is Jaguars Happy Hour presented by mister Chubby's Wings. Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 8: You get to pick the situations, the scenarios.
Speaker 4: It's very controlled. There's no live tackling or anything like that.
Speaker 8: It's you know, but they're their physical practices, but you can get you can get quite a bit out of them.
Speaker 3: Doug Peterson earlier today discussing the joint practices ahead this week against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. It's Jaguars Happy Hour presented by mister Chubby's Wings from the Hundai Studios at the Miller Electric Center, JP Shatterwick, Tony Bisselli, and Pete Priscoing. For eleven years, dream Finders Homes has been proud to call themselves the official homebuilder of the Jags. Visit Dreamfinders Homes Dot com for all the available inventory and go Jags. A big off season topic outside of this building has been Jaguars off offensive play calling and who will actually do it. Press Taylor was on the field Saturday night calling plays. Doug Peterson said earlier in training camps. I guess he will call the plays in the preseason. They haven't made a determination in the regular season. I think it's the most overblown topic in the last decade. Two years ago. Press Taylor is a genius in the second half of the season, calling plays in the comebacks in December. Nobody knew he was doing it last year. He can't coach football anymore, apparently, How did that change all of a sudden and he should be calling the place Tony.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's up to Doug. I mean, that's my opinion. Here's my opinion. I think Doug is a very good coach and a heck of a play caller. I think Press Taylor is a very good coach and a heck of a play caller, So I don't think he can go wrong with either one. They decided to decide what you know, ultimate's Doug's called what he thinks best for the organization and gives the best chance to win. But as far as I'm concerned, I tend to agree with you JP. I mean, it's amazing, like everyone was jumping up and down for joy when we're coming back and scoring points and doing all the things we did the second half of that season.
Speaker 3: And nobody knew he was doing and no one knew he was doing it.
Speaker 5: I still don't understand how that got leaked, or why it got leaked, or for any reason that all of a sudden there was some big major change going on last year right before the Colts game, I think.
Speaker 3: And here's the other thing.
Speaker 5: The way play calling goes in the NFL, for the most part, it's mostly decided during the week as a staff what you like, what are your top plays in this situation? First, second down, third down, goal line, short yardage, third and long, so on and so forth. You put all this together as a staff, then you work with your quarterback. You take that to your quarterback and say, hey, Trevor.
Speaker 4: What do you like?
Speaker 5: What are you comfortable with? He goes through it. Then you rank them.
Speaker 3: You get back to the staff together and say, okay, here's our first fifteen plays.
Speaker 5: That's what you're gonna call here's our first top three, third and seven plus. Here's our first you know, top three or five, you know, four to seven or three to seven. And here's our top you know, five short yard and here's our goal line, here's our red zone.
Speaker 3: It's all laid out.
Speaker 4: And yeah, but there's a rhythm to it.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying there's not a rhythm.
Speaker 5: But Pete, you're calling it off the call sheet that you guys have all agreed upon, and the start and the start of the game is all scripted.
Speaker 6: But there are guys that are great play callers and guys who aren't great play callers.
Speaker 4: It doesn't matter what the script says.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's fine, Okay, But I'm just saying I want to make sure everyone understands how this is put together as mechanically during the week, like every team does that, Pete, correct.
Speaker 4: I mean, here, see this thing here, this is a highlighter.
Speaker 6: They should x off the section that says bubble screen, bubble screen, bubble screen, bubble screen, bubble screen, bubble screen, third down, bubble screen, four down, bubble screen.
Speaker 3: Okay, you can get in and be silly and do these individual things.
Speaker 4: I'm just being serious.
Speaker 6: I think they part of the problem last year is that they were handcuffed and whoever was called so let.
Speaker 5: Me let me get to that, because here's their thing. And I said this on Monday morning. I guess was that last week or maybe I don't know when I said it, but anyways, the it's really hard to call plays when you can't get third and one. It's really hard when you can't run through the between the tackles consistently because you can't move anyone an inch.
Speaker 3: It's hard when.
Speaker 5: Really your only plays are picking polls and you're trying to move and try to create leverage points.
Speaker 3: To get outside. It's hard. It's hard to call plays in.
Speaker 5: The red zone tight red zone, especially where all the passing lanes are really tight, when you can't run it.
Speaker 3: So like number, hard to.
Speaker 4: Call plays when your quarterbacks sped up.
Speaker 6: It's hard to call plays when your receivers aren't big play threats down the field, which is why they went out and got two of them.
Speaker 5: And by the way, the other way you look at it is I'm with what you said, JP.
Speaker 3: I don't think Press Taylor forgot how to call plays. Yeah, less than a minute. By the way, and so I key understood like he was.
Speaker 5: Everyone loved him, and they didn't have a great year offensively, And I think it's a mistake to point the finger at one guy.
Speaker 3: That's not how it works.
Speaker 5: Doug is a part of the process, the whole coaches, that's part of the process. Trevor Lawrence is part of the process. And whoever they have calling players, whether it's Doug or Press, I don't care.
Speaker 3: I think both do it. We'll do a great job.
Speaker 1: Great first show, Pete. We'll talk to you again next week.
Speaker 4: Got it, Pete.
Speaker 3: Prisco, CBS Sports, Tony Bisselli Hall of Famer, I'm J P. Shadrick. Thanks to Joe Fortunado, Brent Reaver, David chod, Nick Cortes, our entire crew, and welcome back.
Speaker 1: It is Jaguars Happy Hour.