Speaker 1: A family finds themselves trapped inside their house four years. It's The Last House with Grete Lee and Wagner Mora and it's currently streaming on Netflix.
Speaker 2: I'm Jordan Hoffman and I'm At Singer. With more movies, more series, more stuff going straight to streaming than ever before, it felt like the right time for a podcast that keeps track of it all, and that podcast is Film Spotting sb You. This week, we've got a review of The Last House, plus some related streaming recommendations. This week's new to vod and streaming titles, and we're gonna play a game.
Speaker 1: This is gonna be a good game. I'm excited for this one because I created it this week. So everybody, everybody strap in.
Speaker 2: I'm buckling up my metaphorical seat belt, and so should you. Listener. It's all coming up on Film Spotting SVU. Welcome to Film Spotting SVU. I'm Matt Singer. And later in the show, we're gonna run down some Last House inspired streaming recommendations. And I'm very curious to see what Jordan is gonna recommend based on the Last House. Could it be another movie about a family in peril? Could it be a horror film set entirely in one location, A movie about houses.
Speaker 1: The Last House on the Left the sequel to this one. Yeah, I think the Last House on the Right.
Speaker 2: What happens in that one.
Speaker 1: It's funny that this movie is called the Last House because this was not the original title of now movie, the Last House. It was, in fact the final shot before the movie starts, like during the credits, you see just their mailbox and it's like the number of the house, ye on the street they're on. It's like one, one three, one five or something. That was the name of the working title of the film. Was no terrible title. And then then it's like, what do we call it? And I said, we'll call it the Last House, but I it's like, I don't know. The Last House and the Left is a pretty famous movie, so it's like taking a famous title and just calling it half. It's like calling it Raiders Are the Lost, you know, like it's not that famous. But it's like taking a movie title that already exists and just using most of it.
Speaker 2: Yes, especially we're in the same genre. It would have been funny if they were like, what if we did the Last House on the Right, What if we really did it? Yeah, just where you go? No, is there another title like that? I just thought it sounded.
Speaker 1: Good, So yeah, that's gonna be the Rex Egg. But before we get to that, first up is the Last House.
Speaker 2: What the hell is going on?
Speaker 1: I don't know, but we are safe.
Speaker 3: We are in our home.
Speaker 2: It's not just us. Here's the premise of Netflix's most watched movie this week, The Last House.
Speaker 1: Do we know how many people watched it? Or we just know they just listed in the top ten.
Speaker 2: I don't remember the I don't know what the numbers on the Netflix website indicate anymore. I forget they go through different metrics, but it is if you open up Netflix and you go to your homepage. It is, at least as we're recording this, it's also like, you know, most watched movies today, it's the number one movie.
Speaker 1: It's number one.
Speaker 2: It is number one. And here is the plot? Give me the plot? Want I almost want to hear, like I feel like there should be rain and thunder. I want to go call audio drama here.
Speaker 1: Producer Sam is going to play, but we may get a takedown. But the intro to the doors riders on the storm. While you're talking just a little bit of and the rain and the thunder.
Speaker 2: To the Last House. They're born into this world.
Speaker 1: Anyway, all right, that is the coolest song The Door has ever made.
Speaker 2: Without question.
Speaker 1: This is the Storm is so there's a number one, and the number two is so far below it. Rise in the Storm is so far and away their most excellent song, with no question. It is a little long, though, because it's so great. Who wants it to end? Almost like this intro to the Last House, Matt, tell me what you have to say about it.
Speaker 2: I was going to tell you the premise. People know the premise. They're stuck in the house.
Speaker 1: Give me what you wrote. You wrote something brilliant.
Speaker 2: I want to hear it, all right. Yeah, On an ordinary day, it starts raining and then it just doesn't stop, and everyone inside their homes suddenly finds they cannot get out. Every door is locked, every window is shut, and any attempt to break through the walls or the floors, well they instantly reseal. I think because magic water fills the holes. Magical rain, you'd say it's magic rain. Okay, magic rain fills the holes. Also, there are weird love crafty and monsters that are somehow involved. Now from the deep. They're from the sea. Okay, is that a spoiler? I guess spoiler alert. These love crafty and monsters are from the deep and the sea. Now. I do not know how monsters can create and control perfectly targeted, impenetrable force fields. Nor do I know how they do it with water that, according to Jordan, is magic rain, but otherwise behaves like ordinary water, at least as far as we can see. Nor do I know why if these monsters can do these things, they don't just use them to kill people, kill everyone, take over the world instantly. And I don't know these things because the movie does not appear to know these things either. But nevertheless, in the very early scenes, in its early mundane stages, the Last House capture a very familiar nightmare for anyone who endured lockdowns during COVID, especially those of us who were parents of young kids at the time. And we're desperately trying to maintain a sense of normalcy and humanity for our children in a world that had suddenly shrunked to the size of a box that, you know, if we were lucky, was maybe a thousand square feet. The family in this case is led by a Minie mcguiver played by Wagner Maha. He can make anything with whatever crap he finds lying around in his garage. His wife played by Greta Lee. She's an incredibly good green thumb, and together they turned their home bound prison into an engineering and botanical.
Speaker 1: Marvel, a lush and verdant place y where she's growing broccoli and he's catching squirrels by throwing a vacuum cleaner thing a jig out the chimney with a and he's fishing for squirrels.
Speaker 2: And I could not, for the life of me figure out how he got it up the chimney every time. I just don't understand he threw you know, he threw up he had a pulley of some See this is why, Yeah, I wouldn't do well in.
Speaker 1: Your family would starve and whereas the neighbors would be eating squirrel all day and and you'd be stuck.
Speaker 2: So yes, this family, thanks to the squirrels and rodents and the vegetables they grow in their floorboards, they have they have more of a bounty of food to eat than is available at my local little crummy Brooklyn grocery store. Now better than the seatown. That's right, ideal, ideal food basket. That's what I do myself. That's what it's called. That used to be a seatown it is now that's what it's called. Seatown.
Speaker 1: For those who are listening, seatown is New York City's lowest of all supermarkets.
Speaker 2: We're not going to get a seatown sponsorship, but let's call it what it is now. For most of us, what I've just would be a horror story, but for Netflix, it's a dream scenario. Just imagine it. Millions of customers trapped in their homes with nothing to do but watch and watch and watch. But Jordan, here's my question for you, after that very long introduction, Yes, in a world where there is Netflix and so many other streaming services and hundreds, if not thousands of things to watch every minute of the day, not just the two DVDs that this family in the Last House has, which are Annie and Air Force one, which is used to great effect. It is should these people who have more than two options watch the Last House?
Speaker 1: That's a good question I am going to say at the end of the day, Yeah, sure, I'm not. It's not like in like you must like oh my God, Stop Everything, Race Home, Turn On the Last House.
Speaker 2: It's not an A.
Speaker 1: Plus, but I found it enjoyable. I think, first of all, the lead performance are quite good, especially Wagner Morea. I like the look of the house, especially after the time delay when it becomes this lush, verdant place. There's a lot of interesting stuff done with production design. This two kids, and the daughter is like an illustrator and an artist, so she makes the house look cool. It's like a it's like a it looks like when you go to like a special event and they have an activation space for Instagram. It looks like one of those. And yeah, and it's also like, you know, what would you do? It's on it's like the pre the movie just starts. Also, it's like it's minute three and the premise is here. You don't have to wait to see the shark on this one. It's in there. And you do a little bit of like, well, how what would I do? Like if this Kakamami scenario were to happen, how would I react? And you kind of think it through, but you know, kind of as you were joking, the movie doesn't really know the answers to why, Yes, it does not have a very satisfactory conclusion. Nothing is explained other than, like, you know, weird shit happens. I mean, you actually said in your intro that it was the sea monsters who was creating the magic rain. I don't even know if that's true. It can just be who was creating it then well, we don't know, but it could have just been that magic rain was happening and there was so much rain. The movie set outside of Seattle, where it rains a lot anyhow, so if it's raining a lot for Seattle, just to imagine how much rain it really is. So the preface is that it's just raining and raining and raining so much. So it could be interpreted that this crazy magic rain that's happening for reasons will never know, liberated the sea creatures and they just came out from the deep and then they started attacking people. I mean, we don't know what's going on. There's no the cause of effect is left to the to the imagination.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I do think that there's a certain and I don't want to diss the writer of this film, but there's a certain there's really no other way to use it, to say it than what I'm gonna say a certain laziness to this script of like, I don't have the mental force to come up with an answer for why this shit's going down, So I'm not going to I'm just going to say, we don't know, like just imagine. And once you take that route, once you make that decision, you can still have fun with the movie. Like there are some movies with wacky premises that by the end you're like, oh, it all clicks together. You know it makes sense now, I get it. This is not that film. But you know what else is not like that film? Life?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: WHOA Life? Is like that?
Speaker 2: Holy shit? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And I think though, when you know when COVID was happening, which is clearly the inspiration for this film, although it's already been five plus years.
Speaker 2: That you know, that was like how did we get here?
Speaker 1: Like I remember in the early days when it was April twenty twenty, I'm like, what this is my life now? I can't leave the house. I leave the house only to throw out the garbage and I race in and race out in twenty five seconds, covering my face. It's crazy, But how did we get here? So that's kind of what this movie does bring you back to So inconclusion, is it worth watching, Yes.
Speaker 2: But manage your expectations.
Speaker 1: It is not. It is not a masteries. But I think it's well put together. I think the action sequences are good, the ending is good. I mean, Luis le Terier, I think is a decent director. I've made some good, good stuff in the past, and he's also made some fine stuff, and this is this is one of his better ones.
Speaker 2: I would say, I don't know if I can join you on one of one of his better ones. I mean I I did like the first couple of scenes of the movie. I think all the strongest stuff is the stuff that I mean, if it wasn't inspired by being locked down during COVID, I cannot imagine what else could have inspired, because that's what it feels like, and that's what those scenes really strongly evoke. And I think the best parts of the movies is the are the ones that feel like you can imagine the screenwriter going, you know, like, how could I turn this very strange, surreal scenario and how can I kind of exploit the anxiety and the tension and the pressure sure and turn it into a horror movie? And this is and this is what came out of it. I guess for me, I think your point is well taken, Jordan, about you don't need to explain the premise of your mysterious horror movie. You know, like, there are plenty of examples we could probably think of where the characters don't even fully you know, like a movie like Cloverfield. It's not like there's people giving long monologues explaining what's happening and what this monster. You know, there can be there can be a very interesting film to be made in a film told from the perspective of people, just ordinary people caught in the middle of a nightmare who don't understand what's happening. Man, Well, I'll give you.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna give you a great example of this conundrum. It's probably the biggest, the biggest movie in this type, the biggest title in this type of movie at all. It's Night of Living Dead, and Night of the Living Dead is for ninety five percent of the movie you have no idea why the crazy stuff is going on. And then at the end there's an explanation that you kind of hear over a radio about something to do with satellite or something. And then for thirty years. George Romero did all he could to retcon that out because he realized that the explanation detracted from the strangeness of the movie. That's right, and that little scientific answer that you get at the end of the first one was never mentioned again, and it was you know, he swept it under the rug. So yeah, I mean, none of the Living Dead was just like you know, it was a living nightmare, and this strange thing was happening.
Speaker 2: So that that is kind.
Speaker 1: Of what I could imagine if they were in meetings trying to crack this project open, somebody might have said, hey, nobody ever did any explanations in Romero's world. That's what we've got here. But I don't know that this is as much of a classic or revolutionary film.
Speaker 2: As a living quite I mean, and I want to say, I do not need for those two examples we just mentioned and many more, I don't need things explained to me, you know, Like mystery is a good thing, especially in a movie like this, But I think the problem here is that it almost explains or at least shows too much, and and the things that it shows us are just they're just so strange and vague. And the threat is both like limitless and unclear. There's no rules, there's no sense of like what can or cannot happen. There's as we said, there's like magic rain, what can But they can still drink the water that they have, and they're drafted. They can't leave. But for years, like they still have gas, they still have plumbing, they still have electricity.
Speaker 1: Right, and then they don't, well, they don't for a while. After a while, that all both.
Speaker 2: Eventually, but they're they're watching a lot of Air Force one in that garage for a long time.
Speaker 1: And then that when they do have to escape, they they just dig a hole in the bathroom. Like I never I didn't quite get that, like how that was allowed. But you know, the stuff that works on a sort of a nightmarish level, for example, communicating with the neighbors via chalkboard.
Speaker 2: Those scenes, those those scenes work.
Speaker 1: And there's like one there's like a kindly old man across the street who still puts on a tie and he's like, we're running out of medicine here. I mean, that's kind of sad. And then there's the dog in there. The dog's on medicine, and.
Speaker 2: I guess I would have loved if the whole movie was that sort of simple and stripped down and basic, and if you're gonna do something this claustrophobic and based in something we can all relate to, I guess I just it seemed like that was the the the idea, But then they didn't have like the courage of their convictions to be like, well, what if the movie was just people trapped in their house for ninety.
Speaker 1: Mine people will get I think most audiences would not want that because it does build to a big ending where there's sea monsters attacking them and they're in the house and the house floods, And.
Speaker 2: I have to believe that the filmmakers or Netflix are both felt agreed with you, and they're like, well, we can't just have it be people in COVID in metaphorical COVID lockdown. How can we make it exciting? And eventually the answer was wacky, crazy sea monsters chasing them through a like through a like a literally like they're almost drowning in their own home.
Speaker 1: Yes, for some reason, it all takes.
Speaker 2: Sense metaphorically and nightmarishly when you describe the things happening, it all is like, yes, it sounds like a dream. It sounds like a nightmare. But then when you try to you try to parse any of it, you're just like, wait, what what is happening now? Well, I kind of like the monsters.
Speaker 1: I thought they look cool and the action scenes at the end, I could follow the action. They're the attic first, they have a gun of some sort that got to swim into the basement. I give it points for that. A lot of complex, hectic action in some of these lower budget movies tend to get a little messy, so I give that one thumbs up. I don't know, I mean, no, the movie is not a musty of the year, but but for since your Home anyhow, watching on Netflix, it's it's not bad for Netflix, it really isn't. I got to give a thumbs up from there. I also liked it when they were looking because their cable internet is out and they can't stream anything. That's why they only have they find an old box with the only two remaining DVDs, which are Annie and Air Force one, which is funny, it's like alphabetical. They found the two in the a's They also there was an old red Netflix envelope. I don't know if you caught that and he picks it up, but he's like and he throws it away.
Speaker 2: Yes, very cute, very cute. I guess here's my other big complaint is that again, it has a I think has a very smart premise, or at least a good starting point for a movie turn what we all understand and remember about COVID into a supernatural horror movie.
Speaker 1: Great.
Speaker 2: I am very much on board with that. Sounds like a I would green that green light that idea. I get it. I see why someone would make it. And based on the fact that people are watching it on Netflix, I mean that was a was a smart choice. I okay, you need, you need something to happen. Okay, so we got these crazy lovecrafty and monsters. But I just at a certain point, I was like, we've spent a lot of time with these people, these characters, this family, and I really don't know much about any of them except for Wagner Mora. I really wished that there was a little bit more about them and we felt a little more like their relationships and some tension coming out of their relationships than that. There isn't a lot, you know, like we understand a little about Wagner Mora's character. He's an engineer. He's lost his job. He has this compulsion, he feels the need to as we as we all would like to protect his family and to use the skills he has and all of these sorts of things. But the other three characters in that house, yeah, I mean the dog is almost more well defined.
Speaker 1: Than Yeah, the kids. The kids are not. I mean they're good. They're like mappity kids at first, and they're cute, but and like especially the little she's very cute, but like, yeah, the sun is just like extra kid, you know, like he just he's just there.
Speaker 2: What defines these people? And a movie like this you could potentially you have got nothing but time, and I guess Lovecraft monsters to dig into this family and make them feel like a real family.
Speaker 1: I do like at the beginning they have like the Checkof's fish cutting scene, like yeah, I'm gonna teach you how to gut a fish, Like, oh gee, I wonder if this is gonna come back?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this will never come up again on the on the show. It's pretty funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Greta Lee, how did Greta Lee get in my life? One day I woke up and Greta Lee was everywhere? What is what was where? What is her big movie? Or is she on a show that I didn't watch?
Speaker 2: She was in Past Lives she was yeah, but I.
Speaker 1: Feel like before that she was like I feel like by the time, that's the thing that I saw her in first that really well, you know, don't let it remain a mystery like the Magic Rain. All I know is that one day I woke up and Greta Lee was in my life, and I don't remember inviting her.
Speaker 2: But you're very good as a voice in Toy Story five this summer, which is an animated movie, so I'm sure or Jordan didn't see it and probably pretends it doesn't exist.
Speaker 1: I will never see it.
Speaker 2: I think she was on the Morning Show. I think that might have been. That's the answer that I think that might have been, which show I have not watched, But I believe that was her kind of the first thing that she did that got people's attention, and then that led to all of these movies.
Speaker 1: Who does she play in Toy Story five? Is she for four?
Speaker 2: Kat four Key's girlfriend? Please a little respect for Karen Beverly Forky's wife, But that is not who she but that's not who she voices. She voices lily Pad. She's the tablet. She's the villain of the piece, and she's excellent. She is a perfectly cast for that part. I've seen the first I bet you have seen her at least one other thing, and that thing is called tron Aries. I'm guessing you saw her in tro.
Speaker 1: That's a good movie. That's a movie.
Speaker 2: I love tron as. You love tron As.
Speaker 1: I really do. I think it's really quite good. I had a great time during that movie.
Speaker 2: So to recap here, as we're winding down, Toy Story five does not exist, and Jordan won't watch it, but he loves quote loves.
Speaker 1: I loved it. I thought really good. I saw that in the theaters. I sat in the in the center with three D glasses on. It was so much fun.
Speaker 2: I had a great time into the Spider Verse. What's that? Never seen it? Not gonna watch it? Tront Aries. Put it on again. If I could be trapped in the last House with one movie, it should be.
Speaker 1: But I would need those I would need really good speakers, and I would need a three D three D screen.
Speaker 2: Can I As we wrap up, I have one one more question for you please. And this is as the movie was winding down and I was I was not happy with the end of this movie. It kind of made me. I was getting annoyed because I really like, again, I love the idea of this sort of movie, and I just I was not satisfied by by where it took that idea. And I was thinking to myself, Okay, the COVID thing, it had to have been part of the stew but isn't I want to know your thoughts about this, Jordan, is the real origin of this movie? Someone saying, you know, at Netflix, now you know if we set a movie in a house and it's just in the house, we only have to hire like four people, we don't need to hire a lot of extras. We don't ever, I mean almost literally, this movie is set like is set entirely inside this one set.
Speaker 1: It is a relatively lower budget film. I do know that they shot on film for some reason, okay, and I know that they built like the street. They pretty much built a house and built the street.
Speaker 2: So it's not that's less cheap than I think. I think it's less cheap than you think.
Speaker 1: But I also think that by the standards of Netflix doing what was it called The Electric State and Red Hour and all their other kind of big action movies. This is significant Red Red.
Speaker 2: Notice was what notice? Red Hour is Ben Stiller's production coming.
Speaker 1: Right right, right right right from Star Trek Action. It's a Star Trek reference also.
Speaker 2: Starred and someone say Star Trek Extraction Extraction two.
Speaker 1: I happen to like Extraction too. I think that one's a good one and we should revisit.
Speaker 2: That is that the tron areas of the extraction pranice.
Speaker 1: So this is lower budget, but it's not a it is.
Speaker 2: This is the reason I thought of it is because there are so many movies on Netflix, and I don't get it necessarily that are There's like, if there's one genre I would love to know this someone should do. This is like if you stacked all the movies on Netflix, especially the originals, into like buckets of genre, what like it? See would seem to me, just anecdotally, just as a user of Netflix, the number one genre that they make is apocalyptic sci fi. There is so much apocalyptic science fiction on Netflix it never ends. You could if that is your favorite genre, Netflix has to be your favorite streaming service. And this is a way to and that can be an extremely expensive genre with the effects and the sprawling cast and the scale of the apocalypse, and here is a way of doing it on the cheap relatively. You got a house, you got rain machines, you got too respected, but not a list actors. Ba boom, there you go.
Speaker 1: I think what was it bird Box, right, that was kind of the first biggie on Netflix, which was around the same time as Quiet Place, which was a theatrical and quiet place. There's now been three of those, and those are big money makers for whichever studio that is.
Speaker 2: I think it's universal.
Speaker 1: And as Sam points out, Netflix would sure like to have their own Quiet Place uh trilogy, but.
Speaker 2: They have so many of them. There are so many of these. It's a rabbit hole that never ever ends.
Speaker 1: I guess yeah, I guess it's it's kind of I.
Speaker 2: Don't understand why, but I just wondered. They just seem to be cranking them out. And how do you crank about at volume when you're trying to, you know, cut corners and save money. Stick them in a house. The last This is the it ain't going to be the last house, that's for sure, because they're.
Speaker 1: Going to make a hundred more of these this year. But anyway, yeah, I mean, I guess you're right. When you go into pitch Netflix, there's whoever is ultimately green Lighting has has a love for this sort of thing.
Speaker 2: So if you're if you're if we have any aspiring screenwriters listening, your your your high concept when you're going into Netflix is it's a quiet place meets and then fill in the blank. And in this case, it's like it's a quiet place meets phone booth or something. There you go, here's ten million bucks. Wagner Mora can it Stargretta Lee? If only you can pronounce his name, then you can you can think we're doing okay, all right? Well, The Last House is currently streaming on Netflix, the number one movie on Netflix. What did you think of it? Did you enjoy it? Can you explain the Magic Rain and the the Lovecraftian monsters? I would love an explanation. I'd love to hear your best explanation. Send it to us feedback at film Spotting SVU dot com. Okay, which I'm sorry hid All right, it is time once again for everyone's favorite segment on the show. Oh yeah, the recommendation segment, also known as as as worser BRECKSAG right SAG RAG SAG. It's the rec SAG, the recommendation segment where we recommend movies in a segment. Now the first recommendation every week is something inspired by our main review. Jordan, I have been I'm I'm waiting with baited breath to find out what did you decide to recommend based on the last house.
Speaker 1: What you got? I gotta tell you. I went big mainstream.
Speaker 2: They go small, you go big.
Speaker 1: I was just thinking there were these creatures from the deep at the end of this movie, and I thought to myself, it's like the creature from Black Lagoon, but just Seattle. What if Seattle had a Black Lagoon and I put.
Speaker 2: The same guy but he's wearing flannel. I think that's put into this right. Listening to grunge rock very timely reference.
Speaker 1: Temple of the Dog. So I type in creature from the Black Lagoon into Google.
Speaker 2: Okay, this happened.
Speaker 1: Just yesterday, not because I was going to do create. I was like, just to help me think of ideas for the Rex Egg. And one of the first results was a pilot like one of these shady Russian websites that just uploads movies that are like Creature of the Black won is not is not public domain, but it may as well be at this point. So I click on it and I say, I'm just gonna watch the opening the Creature of the Black Lagoon. Well, eighty two minutes later, I was done. Or however long that film is, it's pretty short. I think it's eighty two minutes, and I was once again kind of swept away or washed away by this pretty famous movie. And you know what, it's pretty famous for a reason. The Creature from the Black Lagoon rules. It is awesome. It's so much fun. And I would imagine that this is not a deep cut for anyone listening to this show. I mean it's not a deep cut in general. There are t shirts of this movie if you go to any comic book store or place of that nature. But it's possible that there are people out there that have always been like, oh, one of these days I'm going to get around to the Creature from the Black Lagoon. Well that day is now. You can watch it on shady russianwebsite dot org. And it's a good print too. I'm sure you could.
Speaker 2: Actually I can also rent it if you choose you want to.
Speaker 1: But the print I saw was fine and there were no interruptions and it looked great. I just said, you know, my data is now you know, Vladimir Putin is drinking blood in the krem and looking at my data. But you know, nevertheless, there's a reason this movie is so famous again, you.
Speaker 2: Know, low buddy, but like it.
Speaker 1: It's just like this movie has been ripped off so many times we don't even realize it. Like, you know, the scientific adventure. There's the altruistic, handsome scientist. There's the money grubbing jerk scientist who's gonna get his come up. And there's the sexy dame in the who's like all spunky and wearing a white bathing suit. And then there's the creature. And then there's you know, the thing that makes that separates the movie from all the others, every other creature feature or the underwater photography, which in nineteen fifty four was really quite revolutionary, and it has a nightmarish dreamlike quality that every horror movie since has been trying to achieve but can't. Like it almost happens by magic, Like you know, another very famous, and this one is public domain. Is Carnival Souls, you know, very famous or horror movie of the same era that for some reason casts a spell on you, and no one's been able to recapture it since because the movie doesn't really make any sense and whatnot. But it has this hazy dream like quality, and Creature from the Black Woman really does have that. But then it also ticks. It swings back into like campy as hell, like Gilligan's Island level campy with all the sound effects and the music is straight out of Star Trek original series, Like every time you see the first claw of the creature, there's that that the horns and it sounds just like you know, when Spock and Kirk are fighting each other. It's I don't know, like it's it's very dated. It's the quintessential atomic age horror film, which maybe younger people don't have a nostalgia for, but when I was a young lad, that was the previous generations thing. So these are the types of things you would watch on TV, and it just, I don't know, it has that.
Speaker 2: It's weird.
Speaker 1: It has this like this surreal quality, but also it reminds me of a Gilligan's Island, and you put the two together, and that's two great tastes that really tastes great together. Plus uh, did I mention a lot of scenes of the gallon the bathing suit swimming around.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know.
Speaker 1: You're waiting for you to say this, and just the creature looks great now, the scenes of her swimming, which go on and on and on, with the creature mirroring her moves just beneath her, almost touching her. There there is a weird like every time I go in the ocean, I think about what's at my feet, you know. I mean, it's more like Joey, you know.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm just picturing the creature of the Blacklaoon mirroring you with a big goop like the zinc on your nose and a bathing cap right right doing the backstroke, and the creature watching you, going yah. I think I'm gonna stay down here for now.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna pass. I'm gonna pass. Yeah. The one thing I don't like about the Creature from the Black Lagoon is this, and this has nothing to do with the film itself. I don't like the fact that the marketing people at Universal have retconned him into the Universal Monsters. Now this is an old this is a conversation going back decades.
Speaker 2: It's getting on this soapbox. Here we go.
Speaker 1: This is straight out of Kevin Smith's clerks type conversation. But the Universal Monsters are meant to be on land, but they're meant to be in old times, in Middle.
Speaker 2: Europe, somewhere right Transylvane.
Speaker 1: Frankenstein's Monster, the Bride of Frankenstein, the wolf Man, which I believe was Britain, the Invisible Man, which I believe was Britain or maybe France or something, and olden times. The Creature of the lack Lagoon is set now in the atomic age in nineteen fifty four. They're all about you know, in the future we'll be sending men to space. It's a different type of thing. I recognize two elements to this. One that the creature is meant to be something of a tragic figure, much like Frankenstein's Monster. And he doesn't mean harm. He's just been poked too many times and he fights back. And also I get it it's universal. They own the rights the IP and they said, let's sell another T shirt. But I got to ask you guys, doesn't it kind of annoy you that the creature has been part of the Universal Monsters thing for for all these years.
Speaker 2: I got to be honest and say, I've never, for one single second like lost sleep about this. But you are you are right?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean the other thing you didn't mention is the creature from The Black lun Is nineteen fifty four. It's like twenty years after the heyday, the true heyday of the true Universal Monster. So you are correct in that they do because I think mostly because the design of the creature is so magnificent and he looks great on a T shirt. They throw him on there and he is kind of and because the movie was famous and the creature is so memorable that he's kind of become kind of grandfathered in. But you're exactly, and I think it's an appen In Costello connection. Also.
Speaker 1: I think that he also I think the gil Man also meant that he hang out with Aben and Costello of those movies contractually they had. I think there was I was reading that that he actually before the movie even came out, he did an appearance on like an Abbit Costello TV Hour.
Speaker 2: Oh I thought you were gonna say that before Abboin and Costello hooked up, it was Abbot and the creature and they had it falling out.
Speaker 1: Okay, so good. I'm glad we agree with that that we're angry at Universal for like grandfathering.
Speaker 2: Him in Boiling with Rage?
Speaker 1: Do you do you not? Do you agree with my central premises? Like some movies are really really famous and then you look at it again and you're like, yeah, there's a like this really has the juice, as they say it, like, I.
Speaker 2: Haven't watched it in the last couple of years, but I always liked that movie. I always thought, and I think the things that you're mentioning are the things that are special about it. It has that incredible monster and the underwater scenes that have this kind of strange you know, they're somewhat scary, but also they're beautiful too. There is some kind of nightmarish, dreamlike beauty to them that I think even some of the true Universal Monster movies don't even have that kind of that mixing of there's something terrifying, but there's something alluring as well. Some of the great ones have that, but you know, like and maybe that's why it does fit with something like Dracula perhaps, is that it has that blending of you know, eroticism or or sensuality with.
Speaker 1: There's a terrifying there's no shortage of essays out there from all these eggheads writing about the sexual nature of this film, and you know the deep desires that lurk in the in beneath and then the beauty on top. And of course I just look at it and you see the beautiful woman up there, and then you see the slimy, scaly beast down below, and you go, oh, which one is me? I think, I know, so you know, there's there's there's that to it. But yeah, it's I don't know when they I think I have a hunch that when they went in to make this movie they were just like, oh, yeah, you know, just like let's let's crank this one out and then we'll move on to the next project. I don't think they realized they were making a classic. I just think they were pumping out in another project. And then there's a there was a some lightning in a bottle mystery, in the mystery element to the sauce, and we are better for it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, it's a great pick, assuming you're willing to watch it on shady bootleg sites, or you're willing to rent it for three ninety nine on Amazon or Apple TV or one of those places. So for my recommendation, as we mentioned earlier, there's a lot of ways to go. But for me, when I was, you know, like kind of logging last House on letterbox, I realized that one of the first adjectives that came to mind to me, and I think we did mention it a few times during the review was love Craftian. But I also realized that I know almost nothing about HP Lovecraft.
Speaker 1: Oh, is there a biographical film the HP Lovecraft Story?
Speaker 2: Would you let me finish?
Speaker 1: So excited by this recommendation that yes, So I've read a less than a handful of his short stories, that's about it.
Speaker 2: But just from osmosis and from you know, from so many of the people who've stolen from him and taken his vibe and adopted it as their own. I just I have internalized Lovecraftian. But I wanted to learn more about Lovecraft. So I wondered, is there a streaming documentary about HP Lovecraft that I could watch? And do I need to find some shady dark web corner of the Internet, like Jordan to watch it and you do not, but it does exist. What is the name of the film. It is called Lovecraft Colon Fear of the Unknown. It's from two eight. It is available on a variety of legal streaming services including Prime Video, Roku, TB, YouTube, tv Plex, and who Blah Now. The film is a fairly standard, straightforward talking head documentary with a lot of experts and other authors and filmmakers talking about Lovecraft Jordan. Take a guess if I said, who is the most likely famous current filmmaker to be to be interviewed in a documentary about HP Lovecraft? You got it and he's good good, then correctly. John Weber is in there. Stupid Gordon is in there. Peter Straub is in there. Man the other movie it has it also has Neil gay Men in there. That might be less of a selling point these days. Ycraft himself, I mean, he's a pretty he's he's My understanding is that he was a full fledged racist, anti semi He sure was. And what I appreciated about this film from director Frank H. Woodward is that it does not shy away from that fact that you know that the monster at the center of the story. In some ways his HP Lovecraft. He was a xenophobe, he was a racist, he was anti Semitic, although what I also learned in the film is that he was married to a Jewish woman. It's at one point in his life fascinating. Okay, So yes, it does not pretend that those things are not there. It celebrates his work, but it also explores how, you know, how those things are also connected, and how in some ways his his stories reflected that fear of the other and some of some of his kind of more monstrous beliefs. And so I thought, you know, for this sort of documentary it was. It was illuminating and I enjoyed watching it very interesting.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: It did sort of both make me want to read more love Crep but also maybe stay far far away. I don't know. Yeah, but it gave me exactly what I wanted out of this sort of documentary. Yeah, I mean, I'm intrigued.
Speaker 1: He's a certainly fascinating care I know he lived in Providence, Rhode Island. Also that I remember one time being with somebody in Providence and they pointed to like a spooky looking house and they're like, HP Lovecraft lived there, like of course he did. I mean that, why wouldn't he It's a perfect.
Speaker 2: Spot for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've read some of his stories, I mean some of the classics, and they're impressive, like a Girlan Poe stories are impressive. And I did read his novella called Out the Mountains of Madness, which has been Giermo has been trying to make that movie for twenty five years, of course, And I have a funny story about that, very brief.
Speaker 2: It was early days, very brief, starting with Stopwatch Sam.
Speaker 1: It was early like it was Internet, like early Internet, like at the time, you know, nobody had broadband at home. You had to go. And I was working in an office and I remember I was leaving from the office to then go on a plane, and I didn't have like I forgot like the book I was reading at home, and I said, I've always wanted to read HP Lovecrafts at the Mountains of Madness. And I know that it's short. It's like famously one of those books that you can read on.
Speaker 2: One plane trip.
Speaker 1: So I went to Project Gutenberg, which is a thing that still exists which takes you know, I would imagine HP Lovecraft is in the public domain now if not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I went.
Speaker 1: There and I threw in the title and I hit print because I was at an office and I wasn't going to do is at home because I would eat up too much of my toner and it would probably clog my printer and too many waste a whole ream. So I printed out the book. And you know, I'm at an office when like nobody ever uses the printer. The printer is used, like, you know, once every three months. But I did it at just the time that everybody else needed to use the printer. And I heard from like the other part of the office, like who's printed out a novel in the middle of what's going on? And I'm like, oh, geez, I don't want to get caught. I don't want to get like hiding in my cubicle waiting for it to end its cycle. And then I slunked in and took it. But I and then I took it.
Speaker 2: Your boss came out of the office and it.
Speaker 1: Was exactly and then I read it on the plane and then I had it. I finished. I left it in the pocket of the seat in front of him, like maybe the next guy wants to read up the mountains a menda. So somewhere out there in Delta there's a printed out copy from X amount of years.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm sure, my one, I'm sure the elder gods appreciate you paying it forward.
Speaker 1: Did they mention that in the documentary the time that I printed out the thing and left it?
Speaker 2: No, it didn't. It didn't come up, but they should have.
Speaker 1: Guermo was like God to save on Ton or you should print it out at the office, especially if you don't anticipate working there for too long.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, Peter Lourie, thank you so much for joining us today.
Speaker 1: I can't do a good gear.
Speaker 2: Oh you certainly cannot. So the film one more time that I watched love Craft Fear of the Unknown available on so many streaming services, any kind of you know, like a fast channel kind of place where they have ad supported. They odds are that it's probably on there, but Prime Video, Roku to be et cetera, et cetera. Let's get to our recommendations for listeners. This week. I will show Jordan, do you want to read the email that you selected that you did a recommendation for if I could find it? But if I can't. Did you did you do we do the same one this week? Is it the one from Mary? Okay? I have yes, I can read it. Then, so we have listener. Mary wrote in for a personal recommendation, and remember, if you would like a recommendation from Jordan and I, you can email us at feedback at filmspottingsqu dot com. Send us a request. We might just answer it on the show, like we're about to answer this one from Mary. Here's what she wrote to us. I love period films. I was wondering if you could find me a good, somewhat obscure film. I have Netflix, Amazon, Prime, Disney Plus, Hulu and Peacock. Thanks so so, Jordan, what do you have for Mary? An obscure period? Well, let me check.
Speaker 1: I forgot to see if this is streaming anywhere. I just, uh god, where is this streaming?
Speaker 2: You have one job?
Speaker 1: All right? No, it's actually it's streaming a lot of places. So that's good. Okay.
Speaker 2: Well, here's the thing.
Speaker 1: So Mary's like period films, and I'm like, yeah, let's do it. That's that's some of my best favorite movies are period films. But it's got to be semi obscure.
Speaker 2: Is that how did you put it?
Speaker 1: Semi ESOTERI somewhat obscure, somewhat obscure. So I'm like, one person somewhat obscure is another person's common you know? Is Barry Lyndon somewhat obscure? I don't think so, but maybe so Here's where my brain went, like, what is my favorite period film? Well, it's actually a movie that's been mentioned before on this podcast. It's Amadaeus, which is like my favorite, one of my favorite movies of all time. That's not gonna be my recommendation because A it's not obscure, and B I've already recommended it. But I was reminded of another movie about people in the classical music world. And then I went back to look and see who was in the cast, and the queen of all period pieces is in this movie, front and center, kicking ass. It's Emma Thompson before she was famous. So I'm like, Emma Thompson, is I mean period pieces?
Speaker 2: Boom?
Speaker 1: You think of?
Speaker 2: This is McPhee.
Speaker 1: When you think of period movies, you think of all the great movies by Merchant and Ivory, and you think of the Kenneth Branna and you think of her own Sense and Sensibility, which she won the Oscar for the screenplay adaptation. But this is not that film.
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 1: This is a movie I'm gonna see. If you guys can guess, I bet you said, Sam's gonna know. It was released in nineteen ninety one, and it has a powerhouse cast. In addition to Emma Thompson, you will find in this film the very handsome Julian Sands Oh, the very beautiful Bernadette Peters, the very handsome Mandy Patinkin, Wow, the very handsome before he was famous and doing a Polish accent, Hugh Grant.
Speaker 2: I have no idea what this is.
Speaker 1: And then in the starring role, the very beautiful Judy Davis. This is a powerhouse cast, right, is it?
Speaker 2: Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang?
Speaker 1: It's not. I'm just gonna say, what is Well. I'm glad I'm recommending it because this is I.
Speaker 2: Think you got the when you hit the brief somewhat obscure. It's a fair.
Speaker 1: It's a forgotten great independent movie from nineteen ninety one called Impromptu.
Speaker 2: Oooo. I don't know this film, Sam. Have you seen Impromptu?
Speaker 3: I have not, but I read Emma Thompson's sort of like diary when she was making Sense and Sensibility, and this is where she met Hugh Grant and why she had Hugh Grant be a part of Sense and Sensibility, of course, directed by Angley, But as soon as you said it, I remembered how fondly she talked about her time making that film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can understand why anyone involved in this movie loved it because it is a big, beautiful gay romp. I will now describe the premise and I will entice you all to watch it. It was directed by and I'm going to pronounce his last name incorrectly, James Lapine, James Lapine, who's better known for the world of musical theater. He is a Broadway director, he's a Broadway writer director. He did Into the Woods and Sunday in the Park with George I think that's the Mandy Pittink and Bernadet Peters connection there. And it was written by his wife, Sarah Kernachan. The basic premise is the love story between Frederic Chopin played by Hugh Grant, hence doing a Polish accent, and the writer George sand who was the French feminist novelist played by Judy Davis and George Sand whose real.
Speaker 2: Name was not George Sand.
Speaker 1: You know, she would go to these salons and smoke cigars and wear pants and was a scandal.
Speaker 5: Madame George Sand is quite brazenly inviting herself to the Fortnight, you know, the one. She wears men's clues and leads the most depraved life imaginable trying to meet you.
Speaker 3: Does anyone ever met this duchess?
Speaker 1: The romance between those two was real. Everything else about the movie is fake. The premise is that there is a rich woman who's got an estate in the countryside, played by Emma Thompson, and she wants to be respected by artists, so she decides to turn her home into a salon. And of course she's a bit of a ditch, but she means well. And her husband, uh, just like wants to go out and and shoot foxes and drink brandy and not pay attention. But she's like, I want artists to come to my house. So she invites them all and is gonna, you know, spend the treat them lavishly, and they all they all accept the invitation. And accepting the invitation are Judy Davis as George Sond, Hugh Grant as Frederick Chopin, Mandy Patinkin as Alfred de Mussette, who was a poet of.
Speaker 2: The time, beautiful pronunciation.
Speaker 1: Julian Sans plays Franz list somebody by the name of Ralph Brown plays Delacroix, the painter, on and on and on. There's some other famous people in there from from the era to be like, oh that's great, and they're all like romping around and it's just love triangle stuff. It's a lot of slam doors, love triangle drinking, witty Beaumonts, and it's a little bit like, you know, the Avengers of this time period. You know, Franz list In Chopin doing piano duels and stuff. Delacroix is out there painting on plane air and whatnot. It's a little bit silly of just you know, imagining what these heroes from European culture would be doing at a weekend retreat that never really happened.
Speaker 2: But the performances are incredible. It's very very witty.
Speaker 1: James Lapine certainly knows what this, you know, the vibe of hanging out with geniuses for the Weekend in the Country. I mean, that's a song from Sunny in the Park with George right Weekend in the Country, So it's kind of like that vibe. And Bernie Dete Peters. She does not play a famous artist. She's Frand's List's girlfriend, I think, and she's just gorgeous in it and being.
Speaker 2: Very Brendaett Peters.
Speaker 1: It is a very very charming film, and I do remember seeing it in nineteen ninety one. I was a young lad. I was still in high school and I was kind of getting into indie films. There was a theater not too far from me and sextually still there in Red Bank, New Jersey, that would sometimes show more you know this, this was not a Miramax film, but it may as well have been, you know that kind of a film in the nineteen nineties, and feeling very proud of myself, very intelligent. None of the other jokers at school were watched They were watching Terminator two. I was watching Impromptu, learning about how Frederick Chopin was. The basic shtick is that Judy Davis pursues him, so she's the quote unquote man in the relationship and he is the wilting flower because Chopin was he was a very sickly man, and you know, she has to woo him, and it's kind of a sex reversal thing. That's kind of the basic premise, the gender upside down, gender reversal and how they.
Speaker 2: Fall in love.
Speaker 1: But you know, it's just a really really clever movie that has been forgotten, and I think it ranks for me and Hew as good as any of the other merchant and ivory type films of that era of the late eighties and early nineties. So James Lapine's Impromptu is the one I recommend this week.
Speaker 2: That's a really good recommendation. I don't think I've ever heard of this movie, to be honest, that I'm totally unfamiliar with it. So this is a recommendation for me as well. It's one I'm at it like.
Speaker 1: It was not released by It was released by not Miramax, but by Hemdale Film Corporation.
Speaker 2: I have Elmdale.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they lasted for one year. They released one movie this, I guess they didn't do a lot, So it's one that's been swallowed up and has fallen through the cracks. It got great reviews at the time, and it won some Awards at the Independent Spirit Awards.
Speaker 2: In fact, Judy Davis.
Speaker 1: Won Best Female Lead and Emma Thompson was nominated for Best Supporting Lead. But yeah, it's definitely fallen through the cracks. But today it can be rented on most It's actually free on Prime. So if you got the Prime, it's free. It's on Fubo, MGM plus, Filo Hoopla hoopla.
Speaker 2: It's on Prime is where it's on. You should watch it there Hemdale. I think one of their other claims to fame is I think they produced the Terminator, the original Terminator. Really, I'm pretty sure that's that name sounds familiar.
Speaker 1: But I'm curious like how it got It must have been like October Films or something. It's not on the Wikipedia page, but maybe if I dig down, they must have had a deal with October Films or because Helm there looks like a production company, not a distribution company anyhow, So maybe somebody in the audience, maybe a Fine Line Features remember them. That was another one of the era, like the sub Mirmax. There was mir Max where the Kings, and then Fine Line October.
Speaker 2: There were a few others. Yes, Okay, great pick for me for some reason, and I think it might have had to do with just the other stuff we were watching. And I was watching this week when I heard semi obscure period films, what came to mind for me was something very different. It was Roger Corman's Edgar Allan Poe films, and between nineteen sixty and nineteen sixty four, exploitation master Roger Corman made eight popular Edgar Allan Poe adaptations, although in classic Corman fashion, only seven of them are actually based on post worries or books or poems or things like that. You think of Roger Corman, you think of quickie, low budget B movies, But the po films are I would say, maybe a B plus. They're a slightly bigger scale, and I think at least they have held up very well. They look great, they sound great. They've got oodles of gothic atmosphere, spooky production design, moody cinematography, and most of them have wonderful Vincent Price performances in them. And if you want period films, you know they're period films. You're gonna get all the frilly shirts and tri corner hats and cravats you could ever want. So many Cravats. The Cravat budget on these films was off the charts. Now, I have not seen all of Corman's po films.
Speaker 1: Yeah there were eight, but I didn't see them all either, but I've seen most of them. I'm hoping that you pick the one that's my favorite.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, I have enjoyed all of the ones that I've seen. Most of them are very easy to find and watch for free on places like to be and YouTube TV and Mary's preferred Prime video. And that includes the specific one that I am going to recommend, which is nineteen sixty three's The Haunted Palace.
Speaker 3: It is the it is the one.
Speaker 2: It is the sixth of the eight of these films, and it is the one that is a Edgar Allan Poe film. Not based on Edgar Allan Poe. The title comes from Poe, but the story and now you will understand why I'm recommending it. The story is taken from an HP. Lovecraft book called The Case of Charles dexter Ward. And I thought, given the last house, and given my other reseg pick this kind of it. Just it's all of a piece this week for me, for sure. So it is Poe with an asterisk. But it does have all of the things you want from one of these, you know, Roger Corman Poe movies. It's a gothic melodrama. It's loaded with ambiance, with dread, with these horrifying intimations of the supernatural, and it does have Vincent Price. It also has Lonchhini Junior. As they wander these surprisingly large, expansive, opulent sets shrouded in fog and shadows, and nothing in any of these movies looks real, but I love the look of them anyway. There's something kind of dream kind of like Creature from the Black Lagoon. It has this kind of beautiful, dreamy nightmare aesthetic that just really appeals to me for some reason. And I'm sure to a lot of people looking at this through modern eyes they would say this is cheesy, this is campy, But I don't know. I just love the look and the fevered intensity of these movies.
Speaker 4: You who find a kind of macab joyousness and the horrifying will enjoy yourselves, as in Ecstasy in Law Haunted Palace, starring Vincent Price, a being who lived and died and lives again.
Speaker 3: I'll not have my Phillip revenge until this village is a great yard.
Speaker 2: Nobody could sell a piece of shlock like Vincent Price, except maybe Roger Corman. And you get two for the price of one here, So the Haunted Palace. The screenplay was written by Charles Beaumont, who's a famous Twilight Zone contributor to a lot of his own kind of spooky and horrifying horror short stories of his own. Price plays a warlock from the seventeen hundreds. He's burned at the stake by the paranoid residence of his hometown of Arkham, Massachusetts. Oh but I know that before he is burned at the stake, he curses the town and all of its descendants. So now like one hundred years later, his great great grandson, also played by the Price, shows up in Arkham. He's inherited the family you know hellhole, basically this old crumbling you know mansion, and he can't help but notice that the painting of his ancestor hanging in his family's home looks a lot like him. And the more he stares at the painting, the more he starts acting like his ancestor and maybe even gets possessed by him, and the vibes are Poe meets Lovecraft. Ab the Necronomicon plays a key role. Some of the elder gods gets shout outs in the film, but really it kind of all works together. The Corman poshtick. It really suits the kind of again like the fevered possession elder god story that's going on here. Vincent Price gives two good performances. He's pure malevolence as this one character. He's this genteel, refined, kindly gentleman. On the other I don't of the po Corman movies i've seen, my favorite, maybe this is the one you like, Jordan, is still The Pit and the Pendulum. That's my favorite. My favorite is The Mask of the Red Death. Okay, so it's so gorgeous. That one I actually haven't. That's still on my list to watch. I'll watch that one yet, Let's let's check in next week. Once you've seen it.
Speaker 1: You watch that an impromptu and you really be a rex segging yourself into all there.
Speaker 2: But I don't think the Mask of the Red Death was on Amazon. It's like the one that wasn't. With all of these or maybe two b there was one that was like not on there. You could literally watch all of these movies as a marathon, I think on tub except that one. So I picked one that was kind of more widely available film, but it was it's a good time, and it is a somewhat obscure period film. I'll be it a obscure period horror film. It is The Haunted Palace from nineteen sixty three. You can marry. You can watch it on Prime Video. If you don't have Prime Video, it's on tub It's also on YouTube TV. That is my recommendation. And so let's quickly run down the rec egg here. Thank you want to do it, you can do it.
Speaker 1: I'm I recommended The Creature from the Black Lagoon, which you can see on a site called film House for free. Also pay vod three or four bucks to Amazon Apple, or you could also watch it on a shady Russian website, dark Web. H Matt Singer recommended Lovecraft colon Fear of the Unknown, which is on Film, Prime Video, Roku, tub Plex, Hoopla, YouTube TV, and bazooga. And then I recommended Impromptu, this sort of esoteric James Lapine film with all the greats Julian Sans and Bernadette Peters. It's on Prime Video and also YouTube TV MGM plus Hoopla and v o D and then Roger Corman's The Haunted Palace on Prime MGM plus two b or vod for running list of all the films we've talked about on this show. Ever, are you go to letterbox and look for the link now streaming on bazooga And it's got show notes from every episode and links and it's terrific.
Speaker 2: I think it's also in the notes for this show if you are looking for a direct link.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's in the notes for this show. If you're looking for a direct link. And if you want to personalize streaming recommendation, send the note to feedback at film Spotting s VU dot com, film Spotting SVA dot com. And you like Mary can can be our next guest.
Speaker 2: You're kind of a guest.
Speaker 1: When you when you put in a feedback guest at all part of the show, very part of the shows.
Speaker 2: So before we start the game, producer Sam is here and I am dying to get to the game. But and this is germane to this podcast because it wasn't Netflix, That's right, it was a you. You are now a streaming television star because last night, like Chris Hemsworth an extraction, I and many people were, you know, if they turned on Netflix as we were are recording this. Last night was the Field of Dreams game on Netflix. Now, the Field of Dreams game is the thing they only started like a year or two ago, where like they have a Major League Baseball game, an official game, it's part of the regular season, it counts, but they play it in the field from the motion picture Field of Dreams, which not right away, but eventually they have turned into like an actual playable ballpark.
Speaker 1: Wow, is it the actual set where they shot them?
Speaker 5: All?
Speaker 3: Right there? It's Dyersville, Iowa.
Speaker 1: Do you live in Wisconsin?
Speaker 3: I am a near our forty five minutes away because I live in southwest Wisconin. Wow, So Diyersville, it turns out, is only an hour and forty five minutes away. I'm trying to think of the other notable metropolitan areas that are kind of close, Like Dubuque, Iowa is like I've heard of it, forty five minutes away from Diyersville. It's all very close.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And so the teams that were playing were the Twins and the Phillies.
Speaker 2: And burying the lead here so sure, which is that if if viewers were looking, they can go back and look right now it is available still if they were watching the game, the whole game. There are two familiar looking gentlemen literally in the second row directly.
Speaker 3: The best seats in that I mean unbelievable and it's.
Speaker 2: It's Film Spotting Zone, Adam Kempinar and Sam van Halgren. And I'm just staring at them the whole game. How did this happen?
Speaker 3: My God? I want to credit uh. It was a long time film Spotting listener who works at Netflix UH and was responsible, I think for helping to organize as this a is a Netflix production, this live broadcast was involved in this. David Cuuso is his name, has been a listener since the very early days of Film Spotting and reached out, I mean largely because you know, we have a relationship with Netflix, obviously like you guys do in terms of getting access to to films of theirs, but but also knowing that we lived in the Midwest. I Adam is in Iowa City, I'm in southwest Wisconsin, and so you know, he asked us so we'd be interested in going to the game. It wasn't until the night before the game that we got our tickets and realized where we would be sitting. Wow, I mean, it was truly and where to go, I will tell you. I mean, I I know you, Matt are a big baseball guy, and I was. I have to speak in the past tense almost about baseball because I was a baseball obsessive from my earliest days, you know, certainly through high school where I played all through high school. Baseball was hugely important to me. After my kids were born, I sort of stopped watching as much baseball. So the most moving part of this experience, I mean, in addition to being where I was, I mean, everyone should have a chance that loves baseball, should have a chance to watch a baseball game from this perspective. I've never seen baseball played at this level from that perspective, and watching a curveball come in from behind the catcher from a major League baseball player was truly mind bow But the most incredible thing which you can see if you watch this game is that twenty six Hall of Famers were also present at the game, and they all entered the field of Dreams through the cornfield.
Speaker 2: Oh Oh yeah, and.
Speaker 3: So cow Ripken Junior was there, Raleigh Fingers was there, Paul Mollitor, Andre Dawson, all of these players that were incredibly meaningful me at my most baseball loving days. I really was tearing up being in proximity to these incredible baseball players. And the game was incredible. It was The forecast was for rain all day, pouring, thunderstorms and rain all day from when you woke up in Dyersville till two am. It didn't rain a single drop. It was a perfect baseball evening. It was a miracle. It truly was heaven on earth in Iowa. Yes, yes, it's heaven. Yes it's Iowa. It was incredible.
Speaker 2: Wow, Now you silt it and they came, that's great. That's right. You said this was a long time I'm film spotting listener. David hooked it up. Now is he a long time film sputting I.
Speaker 3: Was gonna say, Matt, I mean, if this ever happened, you.
Speaker 2: Know, because Netflix has other I don't even need to go to the field of jeral but you should star game they do. I I'm just saying I don't even need seats that I would sit in the third row Cuso.
Speaker 1: I think is like almost as good as Bazooga. We can actually r bazooa Tokuso.
Speaker 2: I just watch, I thought, And I know I might have sounded a little it could have come out differently when I was reviewed. But I loved the Last House. I thought it was incredible, the film of the year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, does he only do special events that involved baseball?
Speaker 2: Anything like?
Speaker 1: Are there, like you know, Rolling Stones in the New York, New Jersey Philadelphia area.
Speaker 2: Finished live from the Madison Square Garden the eighteen hour live stream on Netflix. Maybe that was so cool. I I could not and I could not be more jealous. And it was very surreal and very difficult to concentrate on the game.
Speaker 3: It was when Yeah, I don't want to spoil it. I don't want to spoil the game for the.
Speaker 2: People that a game that happened yesterday, but.
Speaker 3: I will tell you. I mean Schwarber was the designated hitter for the Phillies. Kyle Schwarber Al Schober of the Phillies. He uh top of the first drills a home run. I mean, unreal, unreal.
Speaker 2: So well, let's play an almost as spectacular game as the Field of Dreams game hosted by I believe Jordan is hosting.
Speaker 1: That's right. Yeah, So we've got a game this week, and we're going to jump right in.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: This week's film was the Last House, directed by Louis Leterrier, a Frenchman working in Hollywood. So I thought this week's game would be called the goal of these people.
Speaker 3: Gaul, all right, exactly.
Speaker 1: The goal of these people. These are all films directed by people from France. Now, some of these are French movies in French, some of these are Hollywood movies in English directed by someone from France who came to Hollywood, like Louis Leterrier, and some of these are in between, you know. But these are all movies that are directed by a French person. And I am going to give we have seven I think one, two, three, four, five, six, seven. I am going to give clues, and the first person who gets it will go et and then you will name the film for one point, the film and name the director for a second point, all right, and if you can only name one but not the other, the other person can steal it away from you.
Speaker 2: Okay. I think that we're going to do pretty well with this. I discern.
Speaker 1: I think you're gonna know it. I hope so if not, I'll never do a game again. Normally it starts easy then gets hard. This is kind of moves in waves. It's like a serpentine thing. So if the first one I don't know, we're gonna see.
Speaker 2: Here we go.
Speaker 1: You're ready these again. The goal of these People.
Speaker 2: Title is good. I hate to admit it.
Speaker 1: The clue number one is this. This film includes original music by Michelle Legrand.
Speaker 3: I'm just gonna go with umbrellas of Cherbourg right right out of the gate, and.
Speaker 2: You are correct.
Speaker 3: I knew it could be Young Girls of Brochworm, one of my favorite movies of all time, as his umbrellas. But I just thought i'd try to take the point all right, kind.
Speaker 2: Of assume these were gonna be like American movies made by French.
Speaker 1: I said, I said, both these are American films by and these are French movies by from French people.
Speaker 2: Protest. I'm lodging a formal protest.
Speaker 3: I've got a dog named Jacques to me and he directed the Umbrellas of Cherbourg.
Speaker 1: Okay, now, I last week, I don't know it made the actual cut of the week, your dog, it didn't make the cut. If you listen to laxt Week's show, you'll hear Sam saying, O Jacams going crazy because the Amazon guy's here, and.
Speaker 2: That's I said.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, So when I was putting this together, I said, I got to make sure the goal of my dog to me the goal of your So Jacque Demise Bellas of Cherbourg is the first one.
Speaker 2: Got you named that tune in one note.
Speaker 1: Some of the other clues include it features very bright wallpaper and it won the palm door. Okay, next clue number one. This film co stars Elijah Wood. Clue number two. The lead female character in this film has the same name as a fruit. Oh, that's saying.
Speaker 2: It is eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
Speaker 1: That is correct, very good.
Speaker 2: Her name is Clementine.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: And Elijah Wood is in the movie.
Speaker 1: But he's not.
Speaker 2: He's like one of supporting He's like one of the support tech computer tech guys.
Speaker 1: Can you name the director of this film, Michelle Gondry, You have two points. You tied it up very good. Other clues included nothing too sexy. It was released in two thousand and four. Okay, next up, film number three, The Goal of These People. This movie is seventy three minutes. This movie was distributed by RKO Pictures.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, okay, I have a suspicion I might not get filmmaker.
Speaker 1: This movie was produced by Val Luton.
Speaker 2: Okay, but which one? Which one? There's so many it could.
Speaker 1: Be Well, you're gonna know now. This movie was remade in nineteen eighty two. Matt did it.
Speaker 2: First movie is Cat People.
Speaker 1: That's right, it's Cat People, Very good, seventy three minutes. That's that's a hell of a of a thing. Who directed Cat People?
Speaker 2: Doaq Turner?
Speaker 1: Very Good a Frenchman who worked in Hollywood.
Speaker 2: So Matt is in the lead.
Speaker 3: Sam, I just waited too long.
Speaker 1: Very Good waited too long.
Speaker 2: Only he had a dog named It would have been confusing they would both have the same first name.
Speaker 1: Other clues would have been The remake featured music by David Bowen. Okay, next one, The Goal of These People.
Speaker 2: This time you say it? I like it a little less. I'm gonna be on.
Speaker 1: This film has music original music by Bernard Hermann.
Speaker 2: Let's go to the next one yet.
Speaker 1: This film has cinematography by Nicholas Rogue. This film co stars Julie Christie. All Right, we're getting there. This film is based on a novel by Ray Bradberry.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, we're gonna say, yeah, this is this is Fahrenheit four five seven, Right.
Speaker 2: Well break it down six.
Speaker 3: Or five to one Fahrenheit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's Fahrenheit four fifty one, not four fifty seven.
Speaker 2: That would be a little two Chris. Now, I know who directed it. I see, I knew the movie, but I didn't want to answer until I could thought of the director.
Speaker 1: I know who is the director of Sam Sam.
Speaker 3: Uh. This is going to be embarrassing because I know, of course who it is, and I'm just having one of these moments where my brain isn't working because this is you can see, this is the director of four under Blows and.
Speaker 2: Unto right, he didn't give it to me. I knew. I knew by the time it was stealable, but I could not think of it. I kept going. Which which French new wave filmmaker.
Speaker 3: Made his English language debut, right, it was only it didn't work out, really didn't wasn't really a very good movie.
Speaker 2: It was okay, interesting, interesting film.
Speaker 1: His first film and color British production, hence That's that's why I said, sometimes they're working in Hollywood, sometimes they're working in Francis was a British production nineteen sixty six. It was a success at the box office. But I think it's an interesting movie, but it doesn't quite come together. But yeah, I didn't remember that Bernard Herman did the music, and I was actually listening.
Speaker 2: To the store I realized that pretty cool.
Speaker 1: All right, let's move ahead now to the next one. Matt, you are in the lead, but only five to three, so it's still anyone's game. The next film features an original song, not by Bernard Herman, but by the rock band The Hives.
Speaker 3: Ooh, I like the Hives.
Speaker 2: What are the Hives up to these days?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 1: Well, this film made over two hundred and twenty five million dollars at the international box office international bonds a.
Speaker 2: Minute, okay, okay.
Speaker 1: And this film had a budget of merely twenty five million. Hence it was a major unexpected Okay.
Speaker 2: I think I might know the filmmaker, but.
Speaker 1: What who is This film was released in February of two thousand and eight, February when movies come out to not make two hundred and twenty five million and two thousand and eight, especially big success The Highskay. This film co stars Famke Johnson, whose name I'm probably mispronouncing.
Speaker 2: You definitely mispronounced.
Speaker 1: I'm dancing around what okay the star once I pronounced it Botner Mora right, once, I have one more clue, and if this doesn't get it, then you both get zero point.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: This film was the inspiration of a particularly memorable sketch on the comedy series Key and Peel.
Speaker 2: Boy. I don't remember too much about GM Peel either.
Speaker 1: This is their most famous sketch.
Speaker 2: Not according to me, because I can think of a few sketches that are that don't involve a French filmmaker's movie. Oh wait a minute, Wait a minute.
Speaker 1: He's got it.
Speaker 2: That's he's got it. It was it's the movie is taken. That's right. Oh shoot, But who directed it? What's his name?
Speaker 3: I know, I know, I know.
Speaker 2: I can think of the guy who directed the sequels, but it was a different name, Sam Steel. Samkin Steel is right, it's not.
Speaker 1: He was the producer. He was from the Bissan school. It's some Schmid.
Speaker 2: It's not the guy that I'm thinking of for who did the sequel. But I'm not going to say it just in case he has a movie coming out.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, if you don't know, nobody knows. Nobody gets the point. And quite frankly, I would not have gotten this guy's name either. His name is Pierre Morrel, Pierre Morel Morrell. They pumped out It's it was one of these things. I mean, if you remember Liam Neeson before and as Key and Peele call them Liam Neeson.
Speaker 2: Yes, it took, took it there in my brain that that was, that sketch.
Speaker 1: Was not was at a It was at a dark point and his wife had just died rather tragically in a freak skiing accident, if I'm not mistaken. And then uh, he was just like, yeah, put me in a movie. And he's like, sure, I'll do an action movie. I'm not an action star, but I'll do it. And the movie was a phenomenon with good cause it's a lot of fun. I mean, I've got a particular set of skills. And then Liam Neeson had a whole second career, as you know, making these kind of schlocky action films and it was a huge, unexpected hit. So That's Taken, which was directed a French production, but in English with Hollywood stars. Directed by Pierre Morel. We got two more Matt's in the lead substantially, but the.
Speaker 3: Gray was before that. But it wasn't it was after them.
Speaker 2: They all came after Wow, tooken?
Speaker 1: Was really they?
Speaker 2: One?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Next up?
Speaker 1: This movie inspired not inspired by but this movie inspired a song by the rock band Iron Maiden.
Speaker 2: Oh and this this movie inspired the song.
Speaker 1: Correct. Now, very Maiden saw this movie and said, we're going to make a song. This movie is not in French, nor is it in English. Good. In fact, this movie is in a special language created for the film and invented by the celebrated author Anthony Burgess. This movie employed the well known author and zoologist Desmond Morris as a consultant. Sam's close. I'm looking at his eyes. It's close.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking of that the island of doctor Moreau has a French surname in it, but I know it's not correct.
Speaker 2: This movie co stars ray Dawn Chong. Oh maybe she is in this I've never seen the movie. I'm thinking of? Is that the last clue? Can I ask? There's one more? One?
Speaker 1: Okay. This movie was released in nineteen eighty one.
Speaker 2: Okay, it could be what I'm thinking of. I guess, no, can I ask one question? Is that a film set in the ancient past?
Speaker 1: Just buzz in?
Speaker 2: My guess is the clan of the Cave Bear?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Wait, oh one so that one can see.
Speaker 2: Man the Park clearly is the other one of those movies. Oh, she's got it, he's got it.
Speaker 1: Think about Iron Maiden in a time when Donnas was ruley. It's a great film. But I'm a great filmmaker.
Speaker 3: I have this myself.
Speaker 1: I will sing the chorus from the Iron Maiden song thank you.
Speaker 3: I was going to ask you to do this.
Speaker 2: On by Quest for Fire. Nobody gets it. I've never seen I've never seen so good.
Speaker 1: It's I've seen this five times. Who can tell me who directed it?
Speaker 3: West for Fire?
Speaker 1: He did. He's done a lot of celebrated movies. Uh, some satires. He filmed a film on location in Africa was a satire of French colonialism. But he also has a follow up for Quest for Fire, made another film with no English in it called The Bear. And this guy's still alive. He's got to be eighty five. He's still kicking.
Speaker 3: I know who.
Speaker 1: If you don't know I'm gonna count the three and nobody gets the points. His name is Jean Jacques. Sure and Jean Jacq andde made Quest for Fire, which is so good. It's so goddamn good. That's my rex seg of all. You got to see it. Okay, moving on, I don't have heves one more. Sam, it is mathematically no you could tie you can.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, it's.
Speaker 1: It's six to three, But here we go. This movie, which is long, was originally split in two and presented as two movies.
Speaker 2: Okay this movie.
Speaker 1: One of the producers of this film was disallowed by authorities to continue working on it because he was Jewish, and other Jewish members of the crew had to work surreptitiously. That is giving you a time period and potentially when and where this was made. One of the main roles had to be recast during production because the actor fled the country during production.
Speaker 3: I'm just gonna say, is this Children of the Paradise?
Speaker 2: It is Children of Paradise?
Speaker 1: Very good? Can you tell me who directed Children of Paradise?
Speaker 3: Is it Carnae?
Speaker 1: It is car coming in at six to five a close speaker, Easter wins. But Sam and my other big clue for this one is that the leading actress it was mononymous like Scher and Madonna. Do you remember the name of the actress who played it was Arletti Arletti. Children of Paradise very famously shot in France.
Speaker 2: During the secondal War.
Speaker 1: Hence it took three years to make because production kept getting shut down. That the set designer was Jewish, so he had to change his name. The actor was what was called a collaborator, so when the Allies came in and liberated France, he was like, oh shit, I better leave, and he disappeared and went to Argentina or something, and they had to recast him because they had He was only in half the movie. Very strange production, but the movie itself is a phenomenon. And if you've never seen Children of Parent it's also three hours and ten minutes long. It's in the Criterion collection and it deserves to be there.
Speaker 2: That is the goal of these people, And that was a fun game.
Speaker 3: It was fun titles.
Speaker 2: Now are we doing the the are we instigating this new rule? Suggested by a listener whose name we didn't.
Speaker 3: Get that, Yeah, you're next your host?
Speaker 2: Okay, so I will host next week.
Speaker 3: You win, you host, Let's try it.
Speaker 1: That's the rules.
Speaker 3: I appreciate you guys getting through all of this time with me without mentioning the fact that I forgot to press record for the first seven minutes, which means.
Speaker 2: You shamed yourself, not not us. We wished the high.
Speaker 3: Road, which means that we lost this this great conversation about the actual pronunciation of Marty Scorsese's name, right, we'll have to forgot about anyway.
Speaker 1: There was a little bit of a groundhog Day effect because Sam still still reeling from having seen this Field of Dreams game. Thanks to our friend Marty bazooka recording.
Speaker 3: From a bed and breakfast in Galina, Illinois, where there are six cats. One of them is scratching him by door right now. His name is Keait.
Speaker 1: You went from you went from Wisconsin to Iowa, Illinois.
Speaker 3: It's all right in a corner, all right there, it's all right. The geography is very weird, but I've never been to that Mississippi or in another state. Basically, that's thet I gotta.
Speaker 1: Go, all right, well listen, so thanks again. Let's do a very quickly Matt, because the listeners want to know.
Speaker 2: He should I run down the titles that are coming real quick, real quick. Yeah, all right, real quick. As we wrap it up here, let's run down the titles that are coming to streaming or home viewing this week. First up, theatrical releases that you can rent or buy. Toy Story five. We mentioned it earlier, unless that was on the version that Sam didn't record. I think it was on there. It's the new Toy Story. It's a lot of fun. Jordan will never watch it because it's animated. Well, I got to watch the fourth one first, but I watched the first. You never saw the fourth one either?
Speaker 1: Boy, No, I never did.
Speaker 2: I never did. Okay, there's also something here called Rose of Nevada. And Sam is writing additional notes as I read, and I'm not sure what they mean. These are names of people and movies.
Speaker 1: But is this Yes, he's a British director named Mark Jenkin, and his previous two films are Bait and This Men, and I've seen both of them. And This Men was pretty cool because it involves like bacteria and fungus and stuff. It's about a woman living in a house on a hill in Britain. And so Rosa, Nevada is his new one. His gimmick is that he shoots all of his movies in sixteen millimeters. That's his thing.
Speaker 2: So all of those titles are available for rent on the day this show goes live, which is Tuesday the eighteenth. We've also got theatrical releases that are coming to streaming that you don't need to rent if you have a subscription. David Lowry's Mother Mary with Anne Hathaway and MICHAELA. Cole. That's going to be on HBO Max.
Speaker 1: It's the summer of Halfaway. We got these, and we got the End of Oak Street. You know, we didn't talk about the End of Oak Street? Did you see it?
Speaker 2: I am going to see it tonight. I have a ticket see it.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about it next week. Okay, we'll fit it in, we'll fit somehow. I loved it, but we'll talk about it next.
Speaker 2: Week, okay. And we also have Steven Soderbirds The Christopher's with Ian McKellen and also with MICHAELA. Caled It's Hurts.
Speaker 1: It's summer summer.
Speaker 2: Also, Yeah, that one's going to be on Hulu. That movie I really really loved. I've seen it twice already. I would highly recommend that one, and then I swear the biopic about the UK Tourette's advocate John Davidson. That's gonna be on Netflix. If you heard about the kerfuffle, we don't even need to go into it. But if you heard about the kerfuffle at the was it the BAF does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but put that aside and just watch the film.
Speaker 2: But if you were curious about the movie that caused the kerfuffle and wanted to watch it, it is that movie. It is streaming on Netflix. Okay, finally, yes, direct to streaming on Friday the twin four. We have nothing. There's no new movies on streaming. Is that true? I think? I think there surely is something, but nothing of note that Sam put down in our little.
Speaker 1: So instead we're going to cover something that's out.
Speaker 2: I think it comes out to day on Netflix, not.
Speaker 1: The day that we're recording, which happens to be Friday the fourteenth, the day after this Field of Dreams Games got it? The new uh Happy Madison film. It's Sonny Sandler and not Sadie Sandler. It's the other daughter. She plays a high school theater kid with a lot of drama in her life. The film is called Don't Say good Luck, and it co stars Melanie Lynsky, Steve Buscemi and Bebbe Newarkbe Sorry Sorry, Bebe Babe.
Speaker 2: Someone never saw Chicago on Broadway.
Speaker 1: Clear, I apologize directly. But Julia Hart is Julia Hart? Is she the one that made that horror film in Australia?
Speaker 2: Is that her?
Speaker 1: No, Julia Hart is somebody else. But Julia Hart's films include She Did Stargirl, Stargirl and a Woman, Fast Color and Miss Stevens. I'm thinking of someone else who made a different Australian horror film. But her new movie is called Don't Say good Luck, and it is on Netflix now and we're going to talk about it next week.
Speaker 2: Great. I can't wait to watch it and discuss it with you next week in the meantime.
Speaker 1: In the meantime, if you want to send us feedback at feedback at film spotting svu dot com, feedback at film spottingsva dot com. You can find Matt Singer on Instagram and letterbox at Superpulse. You can find me on Blue Sky at Jayhoffman and Matt Singer is on Blue Sky two. Film Spotting SVU is produced by Sam Van Halgrin, the star of the new Netflix release The Baseball Game The Field of Dreams Game, right, excuse me, And we are a part of the film Spotting family of podcasts, a great family to be part of. For more about us and those other shows, go to film spotting dot net. We're just one of many great shows.
Speaker 2: I'm Jordan Hoffman, right, and I'm Met Singer. Thanks for listening.