Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: Our Interview of the Day, I'm fixed income James Karen. Jim Karen joins us with Morgan Stanley's CIO cross At Solutions. Jim, you know, I love your note where you review nominal GDP when you talk to your accountants, your economists, excuse me, when you talk to your economists, do you see a sustained nominal GDP or can it come down from the five percent level?
Speaker 1: Good morning, Tom and Paul.
Speaker 3: Listen, you know nominal GDP is really if I'm talking to my accountant, he sees only nominal dollars.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: We all get paid in nominal dollars, right, so what we observe in the world is a nominal world. We don't observe like we don't get paid in real dollars. So you know the fact that nominal GDP first quarter of this year was running at six percent, which is significantly above the average over the last you know, many years, which was closer to four And in the second quarter, nominal GDP if you look at the GDP deflator, nominal GDP was running closer to seven point nine percent. If you use PCE as your inflation measure, it's closer to six and a half percent. But the point here, Tom, is that if you're in a higher nominal GDP world, you tend to get higher earnings.
Speaker 1: No surprise there.
Speaker 3: We can take a look and see what's going on with second quarter earnings and even with first quarter earnings, and that's the kind of connection that we should draw. So when I talk about higher nominal GDP, think about that as higher equity earnings and earnings per growth in earnings per share growth.
Speaker 4: So, Jim, how does our federal Reserve adapt to this type of economic environment and growth environment?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, you know, part of this is the inflation element to it, right, you know, so nominal GDP is real growth plus the inflation. So you know what's driving the higher nominal GDP is that we are living in a higher inflation world, somewhere around two and a half three percent, let's say.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess we'll find out more on Wednesday.
Speaker 3: So you know, the question is, is inflation accelerating higher? Can we sustain a two and a half percent inflation to three percent for the time being until it settles back down? Yes, I don't think that that is going to be overly corrosive, you know, for the FED, as long as they believe that inflation and inflation expectations are not becoming ingrained where it becomes, you know, something that you know becomes more destructive going forward. But so at this point right now, I think it's sustainable. But you know, I guess we'll find out more on Wednesday with CPI.
Speaker 4: How do you expect here? Just kind of interest rates in general just feels like we're higher for longer here, Jim, is that the world do you think we're in or we're going to see some moderation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do think that we're in a higher for longer in environment. So you know, one of the correlations that you can draw and you can go back over a long period of time is nominal GDP versus the ten year yield. Those two usually sit pretty close to each other. And I'm not calling for ten year yields to go up, you know, significantly. I think that we're primarily in a range and we're going to go pretty much sideways into the end of the year. But you know, the ability for rates to move down sharply right now, particularly at the back end, outside of having a recession or some really sharp slowdown in the economy, I think is somewhat limited because you know, in the environment that we're in, you know, at the current moment, it just seems that nominal growth is going to be higher, which means that it just it just alleviates the risk of yields moving down sharply.
Speaker 2: So the Jim the Gloom crew is going to step in and say, Okay, there's all this fancy Jim Karen talk. But the question is the fiscal state we're in, how do you pull in our debt and our deficit into that ancient worry pop priced down yields up bigly.
Speaker 3: So this is a great question, tom, So let's connect the dots on this. So the idea is that if you have higher nominal growth, which we do, that's what pays down your deficit. Right, that is the number one thing that pays down your deficit. So you're absolutely right. The deficit is two high. It's around six percent of GDP. It's been coming down by some measures. It's slightly under six. I'm sorry, that's the fiscal deficit, not debt to GDP. Debt to GDP is you know, it is still a little bit high. Depending on what metric you're using, around one hundred and twenty percent. Now, that's likely to come down as long as you have higher nominal growth. That's what brings that down the fastest. That's what we did after World War two, right, we had yield curve control. We capped you know, tenure yields of two and a half percent, and we allowed nominal GDP to get above six and that's what paid down the deficit after World War two. So in some ways we're doing something similar to the right now with higher nominal growth.
Speaker 4: Jim, how is this kind of world of higher economic growth. Has that changed your asset allocation at all?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Absolutely.
Speaker 3: So Basically, if you're in a higher nominal world, you're likely going to favor more equities over fixed income. So when you think of sixty forty, I would say, you know, sixty percent equity forty percent fixed income is a traditional balance portfolio.
Speaker 1: I would say that the.
Speaker 3: Forty percent in fixed income becomes somewhat challenged right now, just because you don't have the ability to generate high levels of return without rates moving down very sharply. So the equity markets tend to have higher valuations when you have inflation somewhere around two and a half to three and a half percent, which is where it is today. Valuations tend to be higher and sustainably higher. Companies have margins, they have pricing power, they generate higher earnings. So equities tend to be the asset class that is in favor in a higher nominal growth world.
Speaker 1: So me more towards the equity spectrum and a little bit of way from fixed income.
Speaker 2: So do you look in terms of use of cash, is dividend growth and share buyback to be a constructive yield equivalent forward three or five years?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, you know absolutely, because look, you know, dividend yields are real yields, right, you know that's the yield you get after all the expenses, and inflation is a cost, right, that's what you get back from the you know, the you know, the stock that you bought. So what you want to have are higher real returning assets, real yields, And as I always like to say that, you know, equities are are are are a nominal asset with real returns because with equities you get the return after all the expenses, inflation being one of those expenses. So whether it's dividends or if it's buybacks or whatever the case may be.
Speaker 1: That's where you're likely to see the appreciation.
Speaker 3: The most appreciated creation in your investment is likely to come from the equity side of the ledger as opposed to the fixed income side. That doesn't mean fixed income is important. You still need that as a hedge and it's a good source of income in your portfolios, but you have to balance it properly.
Speaker 2: Jim Carren, thank you. Terrific Monday morning Brief with MORTGANE. Stanley and Jim Carre