Speaker 1: Hey everybody, it's Matt here and I just wanted to remind you that the new podcast from Liz Feldman and Jesse Klein, Here to Make Friends, is coming out on.
Speaker 2: Friday, March fourteenth. You gotta check it out.
Speaker 1: We love Liz, we love Jesse, and we know you're gonna love the pod Here to Make Friends, Friday March fourteenth.
Speaker 2: Look may oh, I see you my own bow and look over there is that culture Yes, goodness wow, lost culture ding dum, lost culturistas calling.
Speaker 1: It's tough to be speechless on a day when you have to record a podcast because the art form requires you talk.
Speaker 3: It feels unfair, like I don't want to be at work right now because I'm very much like transcending existence, like physical space.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: It's all, it's all really kind of let up to honestly, bo, maybe this has to be the series fantasite of the series.
Speaker 3: So this is the last episode of Last Coulture. Thank you all so much for the joining.
Speaker 2: Us all these years. It had to end this way. I will always remember us this way. I always remember us this way.
Speaker 3: And you started off the show saying speechless too, you're real.
Speaker 2: We have to say you're rattling them off. Third, let's see we nailed it. We nailed it. This is why don't you see how you feel?
Speaker 3: I mean, this is one of the most important people to me, one of the most I said this at the Radio City show for us and L fifty, my favorite artist in the world.
Speaker 2: I left my body. Well we'll talk about this.
Speaker 3: I left my body because you you said hi, and then you turn around and go wait cheers on stage.
Speaker 2: Hearing that you guys watched her together was a huge moment for me.
Speaker 3: Even yeah, for everybody, but I mean, we're we're just so happy she's here.
Speaker 2: The album Mayhem might be out already.
Speaker 1: Oh it's out, depending on when this comes out. So you have to have grace, everybody, because we've listened to the album one and a half times where we were brought to a secure location where we were basically told, okay, we're going to listen to this and if we want to go back, we listen to parts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a bunker.
Speaker 3: It was like where they keep all the designated survivors in case of like fallout designated.
Speaker 2: But it is perfect. We were ecstatic listening to it, and as you all know, at this point, it's brilliant. We think it's our guest best work, which is saying something going to hang a lot.
Speaker 3: She's a fourteen time Grammy winner, Kademy Award winner, Army Award winner, so many more accolades on top of that. Everyone, please welcome into your ears lady so much.
Speaker 5: I am so so happy to be here.
Speaker 2: I have the joy of our lives.
Speaker 5: I know it's the joy of mine.
Speaker 6: I was so excited to see you both, and I just want to say also, congratulations to both of you. You are doing such amazing things. It's amazing to watch had an amazing year, and I'm just like really excited to be here. You're also wearing a Joan Era T shirt, killing.
Speaker 3: Me had I feel like I've only ever like dry cleaned this shirt because I want to preserve it.
Speaker 5: So I don't think I dry cleaned anything during time.
Speaker 2: You Sti'll get the bud light on those are Those are being sold at auction in days. You have to tell Gaga about your Joeanne tour experience.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, so you played met Life here. Yes, it was pouring rain.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you remember.
Speaker 5: I love a rango.
Speaker 3: I love a rangehow too, So Diana Ross, I was, oh, because I remember you said the show it's free production exactly.
Speaker 5: You don't pay for the rain.
Speaker 3: You don't pay for the rain now and the rain kind of follows you because I feel like Mary the Night. It was the same thing too in the video for that, it was like.
Speaker 6: Oh, yes, that was I was. I can't believe that I got away with that. We were exploding cars.
Speaker 2: You had a roof for the building production value.
Speaker 6: And it was raining and they were like, you know, we have to stop production because it's raining in the cameras, and I said.
Speaker 5: Roll the camera.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna miss it.
Speaker 3: You had a Vivo interview. This is a throwback to Vivo, and you were just in an amazing APay. You had sunglasses on. You're telling this antecdote about Marry the Night, and at one point you just pull your glasses down and go, we got free rain.
Speaker 2: Camera.
Speaker 6: Well, because you know, when you're putting a music video together, there's so many things you want to do, I mean, and everything is you know, adds to the budget, and I'm trying to like weigh what thing is more important than the other. And that wasn't actually supposed to be a rain scene at all, but then it happened and like rain on fire come on.
Speaker 1: So much too much like Universal Studios things happening.
Speaker 6: Yes, it was exciting, and then naturally I thought it would be a good idea to hang upside down from the sun roof of the car the transam.
Speaker 2: The transam. Yeah, it was a gorgeous trans am.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I was sick as a dog that City Field show. I don't know what did I say meant like I said, I met city.
Speaker 5: Field, Okay, but I agreed to Met Life.
Speaker 2: Because we've also seen you there.
Speaker 6: Well, but I you know, I when I play shows, like, I get so tired on the road that like sometimes I forget the venue for which tour of.
Speaker 1: Course, yeah, you know, I would imagine it's like one of THO schedules where it's like, you don't want this to happen, but you could yell out Barcelona and you no.
Speaker 5: We can't do that, nor that is not good.
Speaker 3: I know we've seen you, Gosh, we've been lucky to see you in multiple venues now because it's a city Field MetLife. We saw one of the shows a Tony at Radio.
Speaker 2: Radio City the last show. We were there, what.
Speaker 5: You know, it's so funny.
Speaker 6: At the sn L fifty concert the other night, I was nervous to do Dick in a Box, Yeah, because like I feel like, you know, if you're a comedian, being asked to do Who's On First is probably like really like you know so and to me, Dick in a Box with a classic of course. So I was like, oh my god, why did I agree to do this? And then I was, you know, walking through the theater and I remembered that I had been the last time i'd been there was with Tony, and I was like, you know, Tony would have just said, don't be nervous, or if you are nervous, it's because you care, and I do.
Speaker 3: Care, absolutely okay. But a comedian doing Who's On First? Is like you It's like it's like you singing laveon Rose or something on film. It's like, I feel like You've inhabited all of these classics for your entire life. I feel like you were playing rockmanonof at four whatever the fuck? Like have you been doing this your whole life?
Speaker 6: I have been. I have been, and it's it's but I love so much being a part of entertainment, like in like the truest sense, I don't mean anymore than the thrill of the good old fashioned hard work with other actors, other musicians, stage designers, costume makers, makeup artists, wig makers, the lighting and like backstage at Arsenal fifty was insane. We were all like getting ready to go on and then like you know, a human squid would walk by, like then the B fifty two s would be there, and then you know someone would be getting there, you know, wig thrown on and it was just I don't know. I think that that's my favorite part of show business, right is the show of it all.
Speaker 3: The because something about that concert which we talked to Kevin Maser, who, by the way, photographer, Yes, do you want to hear something?
Speaker 2: Yes, my mom's boyfriend from high school. Can you believe, Oh.
Speaker 5: That's some piping hot tea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm from Long Island. He took my mom to prom. And every time I see him now mad he comes over like he's just.
Speaker 2: He's he's he's the guy. He's the guy.
Speaker 3: But y'all, reader's Katy's pulp is Finals, Kyle's Kevin Mazer the like live.
Speaker 6: Event I've known him for so long? Can I ask your mom in his name Katrina?
Speaker 5: I'm so you know I see him.
Speaker 6: I feel like, so I heard about Katrina.
Speaker 2: I love Katrina. She had an iconic high school name. Yes. Sweet.
Speaker 3: I was checking with him on Sunday. I was like, oh my god, Friday, Well, like, what was that about? I go you'r you? You go to all of these things, Kevin, where does that rank among your nights? And he was like, that is one of the top.
Speaker 6: Three first, Yeah, it was one of the greatest nights in entertainment. And I heard it took two years to play, yeah, And I felt really emotional.
Speaker 5: I like couldn't figure.
Speaker 6: Out exactly what I wanted to say on stage. I ultimately decided to shout out Mark Ronson and the Roots because Mark and I wrote Shallow together and the Roots were playing it with me and I love them so much, and I was I almost said, like, and thank you to Lauren and SNL because like, thanks for giving me a shot on the show years ago, because like SNL also helps.
Speaker 5: Break artists and it's a huge deal.
Speaker 6: I don't know if you I mean, I know that people know this, but I don't know that they know how much it means to the artist when we get booked for the show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean to this.
Speaker 6: Day, when I got called to do double duty, double do double duty in a couple of weeks, full panic tears. Oh yeah, so so happy, so elated. I couldn't be more proud. It was the thing that I wanted to do the most to promote my record and.
Speaker 5: To just make people happy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's going to happen. We're recording this before SNL. Yes, we're coming right off of the celebration of the fifty. But I mean when when they told me that they both do you for double Duty.
Speaker 2: You're gonna be incredible, scream. I scrummed. I just I.
Speaker 5: Was so excited.
Speaker 6: To me, Like I say to people, I'm in the business of making people smile, and that is one hundred percent how I feel about SNL.
Speaker 5: It's just that it is.
Speaker 6: It is a night devoted to making people laugh at home, and I'm all about it.
Speaker 3: But you literally embodied and capture that. And the last time you hosted, which was that like Jazzy Applause cover, I still watch. It's like a pitch perfect. It is everything the monologue should be. Thank you that's the tone for the show. It introduces, not that you needed introduction, especially at that time or now, but it's like that was the perfect way to build confidence for the audience that the show was going to be great.
Speaker 5: It was like such a privilege to do that.
Speaker 6: And I'm a theater kid from New York, so doing the SNL monologue is a big it is a huge deal, and you know, I just don't I don't know that I ever imagined that I would end up doing that.
Speaker 5: I think I had a lot more confidence that.
Speaker 6: I would, you know, just be a songwriter, singer, producer for as long as possible.
Speaker 5: But I didn't know that I would get embraced in that way.
Speaker 6: And that's what's cool about, you know, hosting and doing musical guests too, is being the host the monologue.
Speaker 5: The monologue is separate.
Speaker 6: From being an actor in the skip, absolutely, and then that's also separate from being the artist on stage as a musical guest. So it's like I get to kind of do all the things that I like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just thinking about how like you talk about what an amazing moment that is as an artist to be asked to do that show and even in Starsborn. It's almost like an emotional like moment in the film when Ali is told you're doing SNL. It's like that and getting a Grammy nomination are both moments for that character in that movie. Yes, did anything from that experience influence the decision to do Shallow on SNL fifty because you have so many songs you could have done, but you chose shallow.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 6: First of all, one of the reasons that that was included in A Star Is Born is because a lot of A Star Is Born was inspired by my real life and I worked really really close with Bradley and Eric on making sure that, like the story of these two musicians felt real. And so that kind of feeling around SNL and around a Grammy is that's just like how it actually felt.
Speaker 2: Truly important to you, And so that's reflected in that.
Speaker 6: And Shallow to.
Speaker 5: Me is the song I wish I had done on SNL.
Speaker 6: And when Andy and I started talking about doing Dick in a Box, he came to me and he said, I had this idea that we started off and you start with shallow, and I started and it's like, doesn't sound good, and then you said, you know, and we did the whole thing, and when I watched the rehearsal, I was like, oh, like, but now maybe they kind of they might want to hear.
Speaker 5: Because we started and.
Speaker 6: It doesn't go. So I thought I thought it would be a chance to do that and also to kind of put some of my best work forward on a show that deserves your best work, you know what I mean, Like to me, when I see artists perform on SNL, like we all try to put our best foot forward, and so yeah, I just I wanted it to be like a heartwarming moment, hopefully for people at home too. I mean, I do lack lots of different things. Yeah, you know, I'm also into the dark arts and the portray of pop music, and Shallow is very different than a lot of the music I've done in my career. But it's an important song to me because it helped me to connect with people that otherwise maybe didn't know if they could connect with someone like me, like maybe they didn't relate to me as much, or maybe they didn't know someone like me in high school. So you know, Shallow is an important song to me for that reason, and it just felt like the right one to do.
Speaker 1: I remember the chromatica ball like that, which was such a party. But we went with like fifteen of our friends, and when you started Shallow, we all were like checking in with each other, like this is really happening, Like we're hearing Shallow. It is like a high point of culture.
Speaker 3: Sixty thousand people at Met Life, A hush fell, you know what I mean, Like you could hear a pin drop, you know. It was just one of those sublime moments. And I think I remember like looking up at the crowd just being like I was shooting a movie in Charlotte.
Speaker 2: I flew back for that show. I was like I'm not missing God, No, I like it was just a culmination of like.
Speaker 3: That era which was like kind of was a glorious era that got kind of messed up by the pandemic, and like it just felt like this victory lap and this like culmination of like what everybody wanted to celebrate together with you.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 6: It was a really special tour to me. I hadn't seen my fans really on tour since I had to stop the Joint World tour right and I and I was like really not well during that time, and it totally broke my heart to have to cancel and that that was the That was the second tour that that happened on. So I was a little bit nervous about going out for CHROMATICA.
Speaker 5: I was like, am I going to be able to do it?
Speaker 6: You know? Am I going to be in pain when I'm on stage? What's it going to be like? And it was amazing. I had the best time. Also, my amazing partner Michael was with me. He came with me the entire tour. We were together during the prep for the tour. We lived in Leeds while we put the toy, which is like very funny having a brutalist stage in the middle of that music.
Speaker 2: That was incredible, good.
Speaker 6: Thank you, But it was you know, it was special and healing and I think in a way it kind of set me up for this next time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I gotta say, just hear me talk about being in service of the idea of entertainment. I think it means to me what I hear is that Like for a while, I always thought about you as like someone who is perpetually being a student to the concept of fame. But I think what it's very quickly become and like even sooner than I realized was you are a student of entertainment and it's not the same thing, obviously, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 6: I mean I think you're right about Earlier, earlier in my career, I was a student of fame and I was fascinated with it and it was a part of my art and I studied it. I was like, really really fascinated with Andy Warh and I tried to sort of take the spirit of Warhol into my pop shows, like even like the choices of you know, the music with the lighting and a you know, a piss yellow wig that would have been one of you know, his screenprints. Like it was all about this idea that anyone could become a star if they if they studied how. But the thing that I didn't know what would happen was my fans, Like I didn't know who they would be. I didn't know how it would make me feel. I also did not anticipate. But I'm so glad that I did hear the stories of people all over the world. I mean I would stop outside my hotel rooms and I would talk to fans. I would invite fans backstage after the shows. I would play demos fans years before I released music, and like, what do you think of this, Let's talk about it.
Speaker 5: What's your home life like?
Speaker 6: And they would tell me about their lives, and so I've grown up. It's almost been two decades in public. It's definitely been two decades for me as a recording artist. But I kind of grew up and I changed. I was a student of fame, but I ultimately decided that the reason I want to do this is to make people happy with art. And then like now, I mean, I don't know if my fans really know this about me now, but I warm up my voice twice a day and I practice piano every day, and I am like working harder than ever in the dance studio. So I like, keep up my chops because to me, that hard work is what my fans deserve. And also it's to me that's like the privilege of being an artist is that you get to work on your craft. And I want to be able to say that I'm getting better at it.
Speaker 5: Not that I've done it already, and that's that, you.
Speaker 1: Know what We have to talk though about your vocals on this new album, Like we we listened to it, like we said. I turned to Bobby, I was.
Speaker 2: Like, how do you do it?
Speaker 5: Is?
Speaker 2: It is so.
Speaker 1: Olympic what you do with your voice. And I would imagine you said you're warming up twice a day. I would imagine your vo whole warm upstore, what like half hour long. So you're really in the pocket on this. Like the rock vocals that are not easy to do, the passion with which you sing. When you're recording and you're putting songs like these together, do you go back and back and back vocally or how can you do that?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 6: I actually poor poor Andrew and Circuit in the studio at Ksofflstein when we were doing vocals, I would sometimes do.
Speaker 2: Like fifty takes wow.
Speaker 6: And they were very you know, supportive, and it was fine. But the reason is because when I'm writing music, I'm sometimes imagining someone else is singing it.
Speaker 2: Of course, yeah, because it helps me.
Speaker 6: To kind of embody the spirit of a superstar. Because I know I didn't, like always feel very confident as a kid, and that stayed with me my whole life. So during the writing process when I wrote Born this Way, I was actually thinking.
Speaker 5: About with you Houston, Wow. And so I love that you knew that.
Speaker 6: No, but I so I was thinking always about different people. But then when I get there to sing it, I'm like, Okay, I could sing this in.
Speaker 5: A lot of different ways. How should I sing it?
Speaker 7: So?
Speaker 6: Take one, I do it one way. Take two, I do it another way. By take eight, I've sunk into it differently.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Take sixteen, I go, I'm gonna try something completely different, scratch at all. And so I think what you are hearing on this album is that I was actually pretty pretty bossy actually in the studio about about getting the best possible vocal and also pushing myself to do things that I've never done on a record before. I don't think I sound on this album like I sound on it.
Speaker 1: I know so many vocal discoveries on this and so many This is crazy to say, because you're always so many different characters in your music which you're you're speaking to, but so many more than ever, and new characters.
Speaker 5: That we're hearing, yes, and which character is going to tell that story?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: And why?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean I remember there was this very early early interview of yours where it was for V magazine, and it was like you were in like Mario Testino made you get all like tanned, and you know, it was a very like Testino look and it was incredible. But I think it was someone I would think it was John Norris. It fuse was asking you about like you brought up faith no More. And I was like, Okay, this is not what I expected Gaga to like love and like zero in on. This is like the real musical taste that she has, and then it would shift to like, oh, but then this bitch knows the Great American songbook like the Bag and then it's like wait, and then she also like she's like the classically trained pianist and she like fucking knows like all of these.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I didn't want not mean to call you a bitch. No, you said this, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: No, it's like wait, hold on, my soul is on my body, this bitch, this bitch, I do, yes, I do, thank you, period.
Speaker 3: And like, I just think the characters are not so much characters as they are the knowledge and this and being the student of music of entertainment like you embody all of these things. And so I think with Mayhem, I think with this album, it's like Bobby was saying that this is probably the most authentically you album you've ever put out. That makes me think, well, then there's something to Gaga being an amalgamation of all these different things and these genres and these studied, detailed musical exercises. I guess, but like, that's who you are because I couldn't boil you down to one thing, and I'm sure you couldn't either.
Speaker 6: No, I mean I am definitely all of these things, and that that's what Mayhem is.
Speaker 5: It's a celebration of all of that.
Speaker 6: And you know, it's so funny as you're talking about this too, I'm like thinking about this moment where Michael Michael was in the.
Speaker 5: Studio every day.
Speaker 6: Michael executive produced the record to me, and there was at one point I was like really into this electro grunge sound like on Perfect Celebrity. I'm like, I'm like, OK, We're going to make the whole album and I'm going to change everything and he and he was like, no, you are not.
Speaker 5: You can't do that, because but he was.
Speaker 6: Right, because I am all of the different genres, all of the different approaches, all the different processes. That's why it ultimately is mayhem is because if you're stepping really far back, it like doesn't make sense. But when you put it all together, it's me and I appreciate you seeing that in me.
Speaker 5: I feel like since the beginning.
Speaker 6: Of my career there was always some type of criticism coming from somewhere of.
Speaker 5: Like, but who are you?
Speaker 6: You know? And like what is lady Gaga? And can you explain it to me? And what's your style? And you know, you know, what's what genre?
Speaker 5: Really is?
Speaker 2: I call you?
Speaker 6: What should I call you?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 6: What's your what are we supposed to?
Speaker 2: What do you really like?
Speaker 6: You know? And I think that first of all, I was terrified to make a pop record again, and I decided to do it, and I felt very supported in doing it by Michael, by my family, by you know, everyone around me. But feeling like people think you're chaotic? Is there's something There was a joy in that for a while, but there was also like a pain in that too.
Speaker 2: Is that what the fear was coming from?
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, it's like, especially as a woman, people are like, you're you're chaos. Like it's kind of like part of me is like uh huh, you know, and then the other part of me is like, but what what do you mean by that?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 6: And like it's kind of like you're a mess, and like you're a mess because I can't figure out how to organize you and I don't know how to think about you. And I think what I want my fans to know is like that's other people's problem, that's not your problem.
Speaker 5: You can be the whole you.
Speaker 6: And that was that was a part of this record, and I felt I felt excited as a female producer too, like just doing whatever I wanted when I wanted to in the way that I heard it. And I'm so happy, like even before we started that you brought up Killa because it's like.
Speaker 2: My it's amazing.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Well, no, you don't even know.
Speaker 1: We heard it twice and we've been like grabbing onto that in our brain like this whole album. Let's talk about the album like it's like face, melty brain, scratchy heart, screamy pop dance with this theme of mortality throughout.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yes, and I wanted to.
Speaker 1: I know you've said before like you listen to a horror you watch a horror movie every night before you go to bed. I don't know if you're in that zone now. But the theme of death and like dancing in the face of it is obviously all over this. What I've always wanted to ask you, though, is how much are you laughing while you're creating? Like? How much is joy and humor and laughter a part of your creative process when you're making music?
Speaker 5: It's all of it? Yeah, it is.
Speaker 6: There's a lot of humor on Killa, especially what a funny record? Yes, right, write a funny mac. I'm like, not that confident. The person that wrote that record is confident. But I would say also though that it's like the process is a little bit manic, because I also get really serious, and I know I can be difficult to work with because like I'm a very warm hearted person, but when I'm like songwriting, I get like you want what you want. I'm like, I'm trying to listen to what I'm hearing and get it out as fast as possible. But then maybe I'll you know, yeah, the lyric I'm a killer and boy You're going to die tonight, and like right, and then that's funny and then that comes out. But then I get serious again because I'm trying to figure out if the guitar lick is right, and I'm like, no, it's not that when it's this windered again, like it's kind of a Yes, the process is chaotic, and I'm not also a very linear thinker. I'm very tangentile, and so some times, if I can't get one part of the song right, I will need to stay on it for three days, like a bassline or a guitar riff, and then other times I will move on from it and go I'll go like, no, no.
Speaker 5: Let's go to the pre chorus.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 6: You know it's it's sort of it's a very non linear process, and I love it and I love it, and I'm so like also appreciative that my partner, like he you know, the first few years that we were together, I wasn't in the studio, and when he saw me start to make music, he was like, oh my god, I've like, I've never seen you happier and when you're making music and that and that was I felt very seen by that. And I think why it is so important to me is when you grow up in the public eye, as you know, there's things that people grow to like about you, but there's things that they don't know about you, like they don't know that you. That's like maybe deep in reflection at home working on something. They know the outward you. So it feels really nice to be seen by someone for the thing that.
Speaker 5: The thing that you do alone that makes.
Speaker 6: You special, that's your gift, right, like the thing the world doesn't see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think you even alluded to this in the Oscar acceptance, where you were just like, this is hard work. There are sacrifices that need to be made to get to this point. Like the reason I'm on this stage is because I worked so hard. And that is the essential thing about you, Lady Gaga, is that you're like.
Speaker 7: You're here.
Speaker 5: I love being here. I love it. I love also.
Speaker 6: Community, So like being with you and talking with you and bonding over music is like, this is the thing I probably missed the most from my time before I became famous. I did an interview downtown last week, and I picked the location and I was like, we got to go to this bar that I used to write music at, and we did the interview there and I like cried during the interview talking about all my friends.
Speaker 5: Down there and welcome to the Johnson's Nice.
Speaker 6: And I went to Like there was a lot of bars down there that we went to, but that was just one of them. And I used to go there during the day like I've got like one o'clock and like order a you know, paps, blue ribbon and a shot a whiskey and ride on a napkin. But living around artists, being around writers, songwriters, comedians, photographers, actors, musicians, go go dancers, club promoters, you know, we were all like we were all like our own little group and we supported each other. And it was actually really hard to go to Hollywood and do what I was doing there because it was just not like New York at all, and I know, you know about New York. And so this is actually hugely like a deep uh a deep joy for me to be here because we get to I get to like do the thing that made like it's part of who I am.
Speaker 5: Right, it's like talking about it all.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about your current community, which is like what circuitsofhfl Stein, which, by the way, Killa. When I see Killa featuring Gufa Stein, I'm like, well, I think I have an expectation with the song is did not I know?
Speaker 6: Then he flipped the script on everyone. Yeah, thank you, thank you. Kasoffel Stein is very, very talented. He's very specific. I won't give away any of his secrets of how he works, but I loved working on that record with him, and it's so funny. Every time we talk to each other, we always go like, oh, man, I love this song.
Speaker 2: This song, it's very special.
Speaker 5: It's an industrial funk song.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: The only live instrument on it is the.
Speaker 2: Good I was gonna ask you everything electronics.
Speaker 6: That's right, that's right, It's it's just really it's so different for me, and I think there's areas of mayhem that are the tip of the iceberg of warre. I might even go next, you know, like that's that was some of the joy of making the album, was going like, oh no, I'm not done with this, right, you know now I have to take this further.
Speaker 3: Talk about sequencing this one, because I feel like that was its own process.
Speaker 6: It sequencing the album was. I mean, Michael was like worried about me. He was like, are you okay? And I said no, Like I just kept listening to the songs and in every conceivable order, right, because there's there's versions.
Speaker 5: It's it's you know, do you do it? But by BPM that's like the.
Speaker 6: Most to me, the most obvious first version is like for it to feel like one night at a club, right, And then there's the other version where it's like, okay, but do you do it based on the story and like is there a story that I'm telling her? Which there is, so I I did kind of a mixture of both of those things. And the album kind of starts out with like the Devil on your shoulder whispering to you, like would you like to make some bad decisions tonight, because like I'll help you, like I can fix this feeling that you're having. And by the end of the album, you know you've gone through joy, You've gone through partying, You've gone through anger. I mean perfect celebrities, maybe the most angry song I've ever made. Then Vanish into You is a song about wanting to disappear into someone. It's a happy love song, but it's also dark. We're happy just to be alive, and then Killa keeps the party going, but it's like that it's that moment at the party when you were like a little numbed out.
Speaker 2: The end your outro, the outros are incredible, Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 5: I am a very big fan of the outros too.
Speaker 6: We actually had a thought to release the outros like two days before the album just but I don't think I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's the hesitation?
Speaker 6: Yeah, just because I feel like when you hear them as an actual outro, it's like, then then it's an outro, but if I give it, then it's a snippet.
Speaker 3: But then it's a snippet, and then it kind of is decontextualized from the actual work.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean, Kila, you really experience that outro because of the beginning, like it, I kind of need the beginning Cinderella's.
Speaker 5: Got to walk up the stairs before the.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The other song that I feel like was like we we listened to several times and the build on this one is just amazing. But it's so different for you. We feel is how bad do you Want Me?
Speaker 2: We love?
Speaker 6: Oh my God put that on the album.
Speaker 1: We're so happy you did because it's like throwback you for you because it's it's very pop.
Speaker 2: It really very much.
Speaker 5: It's like a total hyper pop song.
Speaker 1: I was like, I hear like a high school girl singing this like you're you're how bad?
Speaker 4: Do you?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like it just feel you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like we can we can see and hear the character in this, like tell us about that song.
Speaker 6: Okay, So very funny story is Michael and I started that song at home, but I had I started it at first, and he heard me singing it and he walks in from the kitchen and he goes, is that about me? I was like no, And then he came on in and we started to like finish it together. And you know, that song embodies a feeling that I've had probably my whole life, which is that I always felt archetyped as the bad girl. And it's why the lyric is kind of funny. You like my hair, my ripped up jeans. It's like that's like so stereotypical, like the girl with ripped jeans is bad, right, So it's so kind of silly and humorous. So, but but I've always felt this kind of like I don't know, shame that I've always been at war with this feeling that if I am, you know, interested in someone that like they're actually longing for a good girl, but they're stuck with me and I'm who they really want, but like we're in this like three way relationship and there there's there's no actual other good girl, but the good girls like in their head and there, and they're kind of comparing me the whole time.
Speaker 2: That girl that you like real?
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly, Oh my god, you we love it what.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you. We've been like just texting it to each other, like so bad you want me for real? Yeah?
Speaker 6: The good girl in your dreams is mad. You're loving me. I know you wish that she was me? How bad do you want me? So? Yeah? And I like I it's so funny too because it's a fun pop song. But I cried when I read it, like it was like.
Speaker 2: My favorite kind of song, emotional pop, Like I have a I have a.
Speaker 5: I have some voice recordings of it somewhere that I have, like from the original that yeah, maybe I'll just drop those one at some point.
Speaker 2: That's that's the tease.
Speaker 6: But I also was also not charge I should put that on the record, and Michael was like, you have to, like, your fans are going to love that song.
Speaker 2: What was the hesitation around that?
Speaker 6: I just I don't know. Sometimes when things are really super pop I get like, I don't know, I get a weird reaction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you think that comes from?
Speaker 6: I don't know. I felt this way about just dance. Thank god I didn't listen to myself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, because I was going to I was gonna ask is it about the prior work? But I think there's something about this current team around Mayhem, between Want and Circuit and Paris. It's like these are all people who understand what came before, but are facing and have a vision for the future.
Speaker 5: For Yes, I mean Andrew.
Speaker 6: What was great about working with him is he also plays a lot of different instruments, and I know how to write on all those different instruments. So if I if we were in the studio, I would just be like, okay, like play the guitar this way, do the bassline this one. Then we would do it over and over and we would riff back and forth. Circuit is an amazing musician. Also, he's also like the fastest producer programmer that I've ever seen it ever, He's wildly fast.
Speaker 5: So he also does amazing analog synth work.
Speaker 6: We had like every iconic analog synth possible in the studio. Andrew also had a mechanic there that was working on the synth to kind of like bring out the loan in certain areas and like sort of like tailor the instruments to be unique for the album and Gasopfelstein, I will share.
Speaker 5: Nothing, Okay. The man is a mystery and I'm gonna I'm gonna that way. He shall remain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, also die with a smile. At the end of the album. It's this beautiful moment of like, first of all, the first line being I just woke up from a dream really kind of works after what's happened, and then it does feel like a beautiful cinematic like credits roll the waltz too, which I love.
Speaker 6: Thank you. I you know, as a personal choice, I really wanted the mayhem to end.
Speaker 2: H That's beautiful, you know what.
Speaker 6: I mean, Like because Blade of Grass is a beautiful song, but you don't get the feeling that the mayhem is over with Blade of Grass. Blade of Grass is a song about saying I'm gonna spend the rest of my life with you. But I just want you to know that now that you've asked me to spend the rest of my life with you, all I can think about is how hard it was to get here.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 6: So I did make the decision that I wanted there to be a message of hope on the record because I and like, I don't I feel nervous about speaking about mental health issues at this stage of my life. I think only because I talked about them so much for so many years, and I'm so passionate about mental health and people getting help.
Speaker 5: But I also like, I like deal with my.
Speaker 6: Own sort of nerves about people only talking about me in that way, like I don't want to be defined by that time in my life. But I will say that like having personal mayhem and like struggling mentally, that is a very particular kind of chaos that I hope that people who do struggle like hear this record and then know that there's peace at the end of it and that it can get better, because it truly got better for me, and I just really wanted that to be a part of it. And also in working with Bruno, who like one hundred percent collaborated with me like head to head, musician to musician, and I'm usually the only woman in the room when I'm making music, and to be treated with that kind of respect really meant a lot to me, and it felt it felt like it felt like the only way to put a period on the end of the album, if that makes sense, Like like that I and also that I'm sure you've heard the phrase reheating your nachos? Yeah, right, And it was like I've never heard that, and I was like, what is this?
Speaker 2: It's running.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I have to say, like, there's something beautiful in it because I think being a female artist, there was always pressure on me. What is she going to do next? How is she going to reinvent herself? How is she going to change? Well, you know, she's going to do the same thing forever, and then I would reinvent myself and I would change and they'd be like, we wish she was, Like you know, she used to be right. And I think what I realized making this album is there is a sound and a style and a way of creating music that I did come up with and I'm owning it on this album and it's it's to me. I did it in a new way. And I also took myself to musical places that I've never been to before. And I was a student of music. But I think it's okay for anyone to own their own inventions and be like, this is me, and you know I'm the creator of me.
Speaker 5: And a lot of female artists.
Speaker 6: We know this that people say, well, that record was successful because of this producer, that this thing was successful because of that, and it's not fair to women to do that. It's women are creators as well. We are the creators of our lives and it's our vision. And you know we weren't made. We made ourselves.
Speaker 3: I think out of all your albums, this one stands as like a true artistic extinement for you. It is your your painting with every color on the palette.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like, I don't think you should ever well, first of all, I don't think you will ever be defined by any of the mental health conversation.
Speaker 2: It's only been helpful to people. You you have.
Speaker 3: Literally you've saved my life. I would listen to Marry the Night in very dark times. I still do, Oh my God, Tuesday night writing at at SNL. Sometimes I'll hit that track I gotta Marry the fucking Night because it's four am and I got I have.
Speaker 2: A sketch to finish, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: I do like it's I completely understand this relationship you have with the people. The way people talk about your life and what you've gone through, it is only enriching what the work is.
Speaker 6: Truly, thank you, I thanks for sharing that. I'm so sorry that you go through those times. I think it's, you know, it's like something I have to work through because it really was true that for a while. And I don't know if you can relate to this anyway, but it's sometimes when you get to that place, talking about it is the healthiest thing for you, yes, and like you have to get it out, and if you don't get it out, you're just living in silence about it, and it's like the secret that is making you feel more sick. So yeah, I'm you know, I'm a work in progress. It's like I'm just you know, I'm not an authority on anything. Really, I just am a person and I love making people happy and I hope that people will put on Mayhem, start to finish and just have a good time because it's ultimately meant to be a celebration of you. But I think I did make it for those that feel like maybe they don't always know how to make sense of themselves, and I'm saying, like, that's cool, it's okay, you don't have to make perfect sense of it.
Speaker 2: That's what the sequence thing is about. In the end, that's probably why you landed on this order of songs, because that's the statement that's right.
Speaker 1: Well, we have the central question of our podcast that we ask everybody that we're going to ask of you, Lady Yaga, which is what was the culture that made you say culture was for me? This can be anything from a film you saw that moved you in a certain direction, a song and artist, something environmental, if you could think I became something close to Lady Yaga, if not full on Lady Gaga in this moment.
Speaker 5: I have a few different ones.
Speaker 2: I feel like we love that.
Speaker 6: I think the one that is the most important to me is I had gay friends in high school. And I didn't have a lot of friends in high school. And I went to an all girls school, which means that when school was over, I used to walk like eight blocks away to the boys' school and they weren't out yet, huh. But we were friends and we would do the musicals together and I found my people. And then later in my career when I started performing out and I had LGBTQ plus fans. I was like, Oh that was this is the community that loved me when I was a child, and this is the community that I'm meant to be a part of now. And so I don't think I would be Lady Gaga without the queer community.
Speaker 1: Wow, you're such an important friend in the life of a gay person when you are that person, you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean.
Speaker 1: Like, that's like such a silly way to sequence those words. Sequencing, But I'll just never forget my safe spaces when I wasn't out, when I was in high school, when I felt like I could talk about my influences, talk about the music I wanted to talk about, you know, like telling all the boys in my school that I liked Limp Biscuit and all love to them, but I wanted to talk about Christina Aguilera and then finding the girls and being like, don't you love the last track? Obvious I'm the self titled.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Like, it's just like being able to share a language and share a humor, and you have grown into such a maximum version of that, and it was I mean jumping around. We just have to say it was so beautiful, and thank you so much for saying what you said on the Grammys. But first speaking to our community and speaking to the trans community and people that need it the most, that.
Speaker 5: Was my absolute privilege.
Speaker 6: And I promised myself that if I want to Grammy that night, I was going to say something that was in support of something that is so so important, which is to be protective and loving to a community that is experiencing violence. Yep, it's my privilege to be a part of this community and it's the language that we speak to each other. And it's also like, thank you for teaching me so much about the world. I couldn't be the person that I am without the stories of all of the people that I've met and the authenticity and the realness. Like I have so many gay friends that like just share with me their truth and that's a real gift.
Speaker 5: Like how many people do you mean that don't do that?
Speaker 2: Right? Everybody?
Speaker 6: And it's like that can be also not a great way to move through the world. So to me, this is my privilege to be a part of it, and I know I wouldn't be the same, And you know, I think like born this way for me was It's like easily my favorite album that I that I ever created. And what's interesting is the second answer to the question that you asked me, if I could think of another culture, it would be that culture of friends on the Lower East Side and Born this Way was a mixture of the inspiration of the queer community, my love of the queer community, as well as like this like techno rock, electro rock, underground New York metal scene that I was a part of, So you know, all of those things like that. Blender is like truly what makes me me and it still is. And I think this is an important time for us all to be roll with each other and ask for what we need from each other.
Speaker 3: Well, something about that night where you want the Grammy with Bruno That was so impawtful because I was just watching a home kind of just because a couple of hours gone by in the show already, and I was just like, I guess no one's really addressing what's going on in like a real important way, and you were. You broke the seal on that. And then the immediate response from the audience and from people at home was thank god you said something, so grateful because I will always think about the way you handled the rumors and the way you even talked about it with Anderson Cooper, which was like, would that be such a bad thing, like the fact that you were even talking about this recently where you're like you had to decide whether or not you would quote unquote fix the rumor. But how would that make someone feel if if they were trans and why would you inject more shame into that situation? Because I think there was some turning point in Lady Gaga as an artist who was studying fame, because that's a moment where I don't know, we experienced this such a smaller scale than you obviously, but it's like, there's nothing more frustrating than someone's saying something about you that isn't true and you don't have the opportunity to address it or you're not. All you want to say is that's not true. But for you to flip that on its head and be like if it were true, who fucking cares?
Speaker 1: It?
Speaker 2: Is huge? Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, I think that was probably the most responsible I ever felt for like the words that were going to come out of my mouth at that point, Like I really kind of did understand that the way that I uh would react to that would I thought be meaningful.
Speaker 5: But to be frank, I didn't think about it for very long.
Speaker 6: It no, But seriously, it was outrageous to me that it's also kind of a weird thing, like, so, how do you feel about these rumors? I'm like, like, what do we talk about? What are we talking about? These are people's lives, These are people's real lives. And that's what makes me so upset about it today is when I see when I see people peering down at others and making it making it like socially acceptable to peer down and to to say that the trans community should be treated this way is wrong. It is wrong, It's violent, it is everything I hate. It is everything I.
Speaker 2: Should just go after the most vulnerable people.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's why community is so important though, because had you not been exposed to community, and had you not like had this understanding of people's humanity, someone may have been put in that situation as like a pop star that's being rocketed to fame and like, you know, aggressively trying to be defined by this thing that the media is like you know inherently saying is like some negative thing. But because you had that exposure to community, and because you knew the reality that these are people's lives, you were able to be in that position and be so gorgeous and responsible.
Speaker 2: And that's important.
Speaker 6: The blessing is when when I was accepted by the queer community. That was the gift to me because then I get to learn and get I get to experience and have relationships that change my insights. And sometimes you know, people ask, you know, how can I do this better?
Speaker 5: Can you explain this to me?
Speaker 6: Like people want to learn more, and I, you know, I always have the desire to say, like, be friends with more people in the community, Like that's the best.
Speaker 5: The best way to learn is to just be a part of the world.
Speaker 2: And it's quite easy. We're all pretty friendly.
Speaker 5: That's right. The best.
Speaker 3: I mean, you were you were, So you are such an important part of that conception for people because I think I had come out of the closet again when born this way, came out because went to conversion therapy obviously didn't well, did.
Speaker 2: Not work out.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that, yeah, yeah, And so Mad had come out in college, so we've known each other since college. Matt had come out around the same point. We were both doing comedy. He was in the sketch group. I was in the improv group. Born This Way came out the same the single came out the same week as this college comedy festival. We would drive from NYU get More to skid More and we were just blasting that song for forty eight straight hours, being wasted, just like in some like toolshed.
Speaker 1: And just like that is and he felt emboldened to come out that weekend.
Speaker 5: That's really special. That's really really special.
Speaker 3: You're so important. It's a huge swath of people who only want the best things for you and for each other. And if there is community in this world, it is fully embodied in that sector. But also those people need leadership, and you've always been that leader, culturally, artistically, in so many ways, You've always been that person.
Speaker 6: I appreciate you saying that, but you know what, I more than being a leader, I just want to do my part, and like I really believe that, like we can all do our small part, and then when we all do our small part, it like makes a big part. And I believe that we will continue to show so people that are filled with hatred and ignorance that they should be looking up to the queer community and following and learning about love, learning about grace, learning about kindness. I really believe that, and I'm not giving up.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no no. And we know and neither are we. And it's so interesting that the answer that you gave to the question was almost like the very simple, beautiful answer that felt like was coming out in the results of the election and everything is people were just saying one word community. Yeah, look around you, water the flowers, right, build those connections, maybe find new connections.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 1: Community, That is really what it's all about. And exposure to the humanity of everybody.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 6: And I know that it feels important for me to say too that yes, I say these things publicly, but like it's actually even more important to me that I live them in my.
Speaker 2: Life, right, Like that that is the work. Yeah. Yeah. The categoryria is dance or die. The only way forward is to just.
Speaker 3: Is to be joyous and to celebrate each other in that way, because like I think Abrika dabra is, like my interpretation of it is, it is this duel between it's.
Speaker 2: Death or love. It's the only alternative.
Speaker 6: There's really only one option in that video, like really like she she announces the category, but like you kind of know, like, no, we're gonna dance choice for me, Yeah, we're gonna dance.
Speaker 1: Speaking of dance, okay, so we'll be at a Coachella. I'm going weekend one, but when I staw work, he's going to go week in two. I think I may go again. Is there because we're listening.
Speaker 2: To the album and we're like, oh my god, in the desert this is gonna be insane.
Speaker 6: Could you drink some water?
Speaker 2: Of course?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 2: So how long have you been thinking about that performance?
Speaker 6: All night? Every night since I said yes? And also, you know, before then, I mean I didn't really get a chance to do Coachella the way I wanted to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 5: It was great.
Speaker 6: It was actually great for A Star is Born too, because Coachella agreed to let us use the stage.
Speaker 5: The movie.
Speaker 6: As you know, making movies and production like having you know, places to film is a positive thing. It was great for the film. Yeah, I had like three days to get ready for it.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's absurd.
Speaker 6: But for this I am just putting everything that I have into it, and I'm really excited and I do but I don't want to give anything away because I truly want it to be like big, a big surprise.
Speaker 3: I feel like I have heard you say in recent interviews that you have been moving in the direction of something slightly more stripped down, because there was a time in your in your career where you know, the set pieces would be like unmanageably big, you know what I mean, And now you are thinking in terms of sustainability and in terms of what I do.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I do think a lot more now about like not wasting and not overproducing things, because when I was younger, I used to get like so nervous that we would like run out of props, you know, or run out, or costumes would get ruined, or something wouldn't work well, so we would have a backup. But now, you know, I have an archive with a lot of like costumes from all my previous tours and TV shows, and so now I try to reuse those and repurpose them. And in the aber Kadabra video, we did some of that as well as like the white cape that I'm wearing wedding dresses, it was all vintage wedding dresses.
Speaker 2: That's so cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So you know, I'm trying to Yeah, I'm changing.
Speaker 3: I don't think you need the overproduction obviously, which is what you're saying. It's like people will just be fucking gagged to see you in any kind of every month stage picture. You know, well about the Radio City show with Tony Bennett's like we were with our friends studio and we just the three of us kept saying, she just always knows her stage picture, thank you.
Speaker 6: But you know, I do. I do believe when it comes to stage performance, and this is probably has to do more with me like loving theater so much too, is that you can do a lot with like a black box theater and a spotlight, and like it's how it's lit, it's your pose, it's the way that you say the first line. You know, more adornment and more money doesn't necessarily mean better, certainly, you know, it's like how you think about it and how you bring it to I think simplicity is actually like very very powerful. But that also is not indicative necessarily of what Coachella will be.
Speaker 2: So sure. I just brought that up as a maybe a.
Speaker 1: You were talking on Hot Ones actually about like performing at the Slipper Room way back when which is crazy done shows there, and like I was just thinking to myself when you were talking about that, some of my most formative, memorable like theatrical experiences have been in rooms with like seven or eight other people watching someone create. That's right, when you shouldn't be able to, but yet it is that it is like lighting choices, the way things sound in rooms like that.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 6: It's the stage. Yeah, it's like the magic of the stage. That that's because when you do things like I mean there are clubs where people perform right like in the room, like on the floor, right, But to me, the context change is on a stage.
Speaker 2: You know, you elevate it.
Speaker 6: It's elevated, and you know, like I'm going to see a show and there's going to something's going to try to move me. And I do find in New York actually at some of those downtown clubs that like there is immense talent, yes, immense talent, and it's so much fun and and I've always like also been so in awe of the drag shows in New York.
Speaker 5: It is un real.
Speaker 6: And I've been watching some of the recreations on top of the video and it's just like it's I mean.
Speaker 3: Jan Jan did it with Yeah, the next day after that.
Speaker 2: They just it no.
Speaker 6: But also the leasing is perfect on the fort and then the hat, and I saw people making like the spiked hat out of plastic and then hands sprain painting at Cranberry Cranberry.
Speaker 1: I mean, when you came to drag Race and did that workshop with them, that was just taking it the extra mile. And I think that telegraphed everyone that it is about the details.
Speaker 6: It is.
Speaker 1: I mean, like that that is such a of course, it's about so much more than that, but the details do matter. You were so detailed in the way that you walk through with those queens.
Speaker 6: I mean, I loved being a part of drag Race. That was so much fun and also a privilege. I loved it so much. I mean I think that I have like just the ultimate respect for drag as an art form. I also think drag very often does it so much better than we do it on red carpets, honestly, Like I think it's just on another level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how much of what you do do you think of as drag?
Speaker 5: I mean, that's interesting.
Speaker 6: I probably wouldn't use that word just because I do feel like it's a very specific art form that I don't like do, but there is to me also a drag element in what I'm doing. But I don't think that, you know, wigs and makeup and costumes always mean drag. I think like it is a very beloved and specific art form and but.
Speaker 5: Not no, but certainly not no.
Speaker 6: It's kind of like sometimes people will, you know, you know, ask me that, and I just like, it's hard to say yes because I would never want to like take away from someone that's devoted their life to it.
Speaker 2: Sure you're coming from a place of respect for what they do exactly.
Speaker 3: That's my sort of rationale. Whenever someone's like, what would your drag name be, I'm like, I don't know, because I are not I've not thought that far because and I honestly think it's because I love the form so much that I'm like, I don't want to insert myself in that without earning my chops, without like.
Speaker 5: That's well, if I was going to do it, I would have to like step.
Speaker 2: It up, right. So there you go to speak on another art form.
Speaker 1: Because we went to NYU here you did a semester at CAP twenty one.
Speaker 2: Yes, so we had.
Speaker 1: A bunch of Friends in Cap twenty one when we were there, and that was like legendary that you had grace that studio for even a second. Is there still a part of you that would do musical theater and like a like a mainstream sense, like would you go and do Broadway?
Speaker 2: And if so, is there a role?
Speaker 5: I think so? Yes, I think I would love to write a musical.
Speaker 2: Well, of course I think that a new one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a new one. Yeah, yeah, I think that.
Speaker 6: I mean that would give me the ultimate joy of like crafting all the music and yes, working with amazing writers on developing the story in the script and then you know, the stage design and the costumes. Yeah, and like maybe i'd be in it too, But you know, just like the idea of writing one that sounds really I mean, that's I mean.
Speaker 2: Come on the Cyndy lauper Bag.
Speaker 5: All my albums basically want to be musical.
Speaker 2: You're in the pocket already, so why not.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're going to close things off with I don't think so, honey. This is where we take one minute each to rail against something.
Speaker 2: Trying to think of there's anything else I want to ask you? I know, I know I have one more thing.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, so you you talk about when you do films your commitment to that and like your I.
Speaker 2: Don't know if you have you described yourself as method? Yes?
Speaker 6: No, probably that sounds like something I would say, yeah, embarrassingly remembering.
Speaker 2: Yes, nobody.
Speaker 1: I want to know, because your performances are so brilliant. I mean you would start. I saw Stars five times opening weekends.
Speaker 2: I love House of Gucci.
Speaker 1: I mean, like, I wonder have you approached acting now in a way that you can feel is is sustainable? Or how do you feel when you are approaching a role now in terms of what you've learned and what you've done Because you've done such incredible stuff.
Speaker 6: I think, thank you. I think that I love making films. I love being an actor. It's been a privilege working with such amazing actors and actresses in like every film that I've been a part of. I learned a lot working with Joaquin actually, like it was a very very enriching experience. I would say, I don't know that it's acting. You're really feeling it when you're doing it, and it's real. So I would say the thing I've learned the most is like to put yourself fully in the moment and to really be in it, you know, as if it was real life, and that it is a performance, but that it's not pretend, right, you know, I was actually working with It's really turned as I was working with my niece on something related wicked. Oh she sings, and I was talking to her about, you know, thinking of a moment in her life where it made her want to to cry because she felt so changed inside. And what I want to say about acting is is it's not far from singing. You know that you you have to go to a place where you're really truly connecting to what you're saying. Yeah, And it's it's not just about the words on their own, it's about like the human being behind it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: But when you when you play characters that go through so like such harrowing stuff. Yeah, yeah, do you think that going forward? Like I don't know if you have anything on the books or whatever, but would you ever do because you love comedy so much? Like does the lightness appeal to you in terms of that work?
Speaker 5: It does?
Speaker 6: It actually does. Michael's always like, can.
Speaker 1: You please heart absolutely pushing yourself?
Speaker 6: Yes, I would love to do a more lighthearted film. I would, but I I you know, I love the dark stuff too, Yes, me, Yeah, that is.
Speaker 5: My Yeah, it's maham.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: I'm like, I'm like a pretty soft person that adores intensity, So I don't really know where that comes from. I always thought it was funny when I was making this album because like I would, you know, like I'm at home, like making breakfast for me and Michael, and then go to the studio and I'm like kind of soft spoken and like just being myself and then like the music was so hard and it doesn't really make a lot of sense, But you know, I guess that's the way that I deal with myself. It's like the way I deal with my anger. It's the way that I deal with my intense feelings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, got it.
Speaker 1: God, we just love you it all like just anyway, we this is amazing having your hair. But we're going to do our silly little segment now. I don't think so, honey, And I guess I'll start it out. I do have something. Last night I sort of was like I had nervous energy, so I was like, I want to take myself on a YouTube wormhole that I've never experienced.
Speaker 2: Before. I want a new educational experience, and I got one.
Speaker 3: I'm excited to learn. This is Matt Rogers. I don't think so. Many's time starts now.
Speaker 1: I don't think so, honey. People don't respect elephants. You don't understand how complicated their communication is.
Speaker 2: This is a fact.
Speaker 1: Elephants can communicate from miles away with each other without seeing each other. They speak, and it is speaking at a decibel that is so low. Do you understand. I don't think so, honey. You understand they you can't be heard by the human ear, but they are always speaking. Elephants have processes they go through for their grief. They honor their debt, dirty sex. They will walk in succession and grieve, and there is different ways of communicating. They're in a matriarchal society. People don't know that.
Speaker 2: And get this.
Speaker 1: It's not just mom, it's mom and all her friends raising a child community aunties.
Speaker 2: If the aunties, it's the friends.
Speaker 1: They will mimic what it is to feel a child, even if they're not feeding it, just to give the child comfort.
Speaker 2: Elephants are unbelievable. They are not just gorgeous, and think about their trunks that is amazing. Can you do something like that? I don't think so, Hony, that's.
Speaker 1: One man, get on my level when it comes to you to at this point. I've never been so connected to the animal world. And you know, sometimes I fear animals. Yes you do, just the wild ones. But the elephants are important.
Speaker 2: But these elephants. Have you ever really gotten into elephant dead?
Speaker 5: Over that rant? That was?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 2: Have you been to Africa to see them? Yes, you're healthy? Oh my god, no, thank you so much. I just wanted to give them their shine because and I actually almost came in here today. I you know, I changed my outfit six times Gaga and landed in a white polo, but I was gonna wear a red sweatshirt with a panda on it.
Speaker 1: And I just because they're my next target, I was like, I need to find out what's happening with them.
Speaker 2: There's a lot.
Speaker 1: And by the way, elephants, when they say they never forget, they really don't. And that's why it's so important to keep them safe because when they are attacked or they have a trauma family member attacked, the trauma lives in them forever, Oh my god, and they remember it and they won't go places where they look. It is so sad, but it's but the knowledge will will embolden us to protect them.
Speaker 5: Thank you for your service to the other. That was so beautiful.
Speaker 2: I just care for them so much and they're so tender and emotional. Absolutely yeah. Okay, So with that bow do you have an I don't think so, honey. Okay, wonderful to hear. I love when that is true. This is Bowen Yang's I don't think so, honey. It's times is now. I don't think so, honey. Hot ones. You made Lady Gaga crme and you're gonna give this woman to bomb. I've had it.
Speaker 3: I had the privilege quote unquote of tasting to bomb and it is battery acid, rancid stuff. Just kidding, Sean Evans, we love you, Love everybody. One of the funnest things I've done personally. You were champ. It was it did not feel right to make you suffer in that way while you were trying to talk about the album, while you were trying to talk about your career.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 3: We need to put respect on Lady Gaga's time in her promotional bag. I guess she needs you can't be making this woman chomp on plant based wings. I think fifteen acad to do it off camera? Just sayd Sean, how about this? Say before we recorded, we had Lady Gaga try these wings five second. You're not gonna put the indignity of her sweating and crying and you know, chugging down milk on film for you. That's not for Some things are too precious and that's one of them. And that's when Boon Yang said, fuck your show. No, it's the format so that we can do.
Speaker 2: No. But you were amazing. You were incredible on it.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, what.
Speaker 1: Was the process? I was what you you're still in You're still absorbing that?
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 5: I can't it. These are like, this is amazing. No, yes, speaking from the heart, it's it's special.
Speaker 2: You've blown away, But I don't think so, honey. It is so funny. You're gonna be great. You're gonna be great.
Speaker 1: It's not harder than hot ones. Okay, I mean but hot ones. Was it a good experience?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yeah, dding it was spicy. It was spicy. But do you and you you do spicy?
Speaker 5: I do I do do spicy?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I mean what I thought was funny was that I did like seven and they were sort of fine, and then eight out of noe, Like what a sneak attack, though, like, at least let me know a four and six totally is gonna get that.
Speaker 2: Have you seen the show?
Speaker 5: No, of course I had, just like I don't know if I've seen like, you know, thirty episodes.
Speaker 2: But watching from home, you're like, oh, like, I guess it's a linear I.
Speaker 5: Thought it would be.
Speaker 6: I kept laughing at myself because I was like, it's like, not actually a contest.
Speaker 4: It's not it's not like, am I winning, but like if you get to the end, you win, and you will do win, you will. I love that you totally forgot. You were so in the heat of the moment literally that you forgot to promote the album.
Speaker 2: You were like, oh yeah, you were like, oh that was fun. What am I here to do? That was amazing.
Speaker 3: That was one of my favorite episodes, and I again purely ingested that is one of the favorite, my favorite things I've ever done.
Speaker 2: He's got to do it. I'll do it one day. You got to do it. I'm manifesting it. It's gonna happen. But he really what we're doing the verses we're doing. We're doing verses Matt and are gonna do the one where you face where that is a game of contest where you face off against each other, but he's gonna wain. Well, I think it's so sweet.
Speaker 3: Is that he mirrors you, Is that he'll drink if you drink, He eats the wings the same the same time that you do.
Speaker 2: I think that's lovely. I mean, he was really nice. He's so nice, really nice.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he was so sweet, and I just I was expecting more spicy until until and then until I was praying for it to stop.
Speaker 2: Until you pray. Yeah, absolutely, Well, anyway, I just had to put take them to task, and it's it's now time for years. If you'd like to do one, you're going to do it.
Speaker 5: So afraid this is going to backfire.
Speaker 2: No it's not.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, I don't think so honey. Then the thing and then you just kind of let it go, let it go. One minute goes by fast. This is lady gagas. I don't think so honey that sentence and her time starts now.
Speaker 5: Basically, I don't think so honey that you guys are putting me on the spot.
Speaker 2: To do this. I don't think so.
Speaker 6: I don't like to rant. I hate ranting, I hate confronting people. Good, super uncomfortable. Right now I'm shaking seriously. I like would love to just like go on stage and sing and change my outfits and pick my wigs and write songs and make albums and go on tours.
Speaker 5: But I do not want to rant about anything. It is so scary to me. I feel scared. I want to cry. I love you so much, but I don't think so that you're putting me on this spot. I Ca'm not just gonna.
Speaker 6: Do whatever you say, whatever you ask me to do it.
Speaker 5: When you tell me to do things, it makes me want to cry.
Speaker 6: It makes me it's sick.
Speaker 2: We shouldn't have done that. We shouldn't have done that.
Speaker 6: I love you so much, and also I don't think so.
Speaker 5: Don't you ever put me on the spot ever again.
Speaker 2: But I love doing this time seconds.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much you're having me here.
Speaker 6: But please, please, please don't make me get angry about anything in public.
Speaker 5: Oh and that's one man, lady.
Speaker 1: God honest hot ones you should have gotten rid of or hot sauce lost coach, we should have not done.
Speaker 3: I mean we have to where the show's done, where this is the last episode ever, this is in how can we beat this?
Speaker 5: Funny?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 2: Are you kidding me? If you have to ask? God? Go, you're b your with me? Did you break in a sweat? I?
Speaker 5: Yes, I you know what I like to plan. I know I'm stick a control freak. I like to plan everything.
Speaker 2: I like to know every we the team they were told about. I don't think what's at it?
Speaker 5: I know?
Speaker 4: And I panicked then and now we're so sorry, but you're okay at a real level.
Speaker 1: You crushed it. So there you go. You know, all the best Adam thinks to honeys have been the one that kind of drags us, dragged us. Yeah, truly, the people who come after us tend to succeed. So well done, Thank you, very well done.
Speaker 5: Think I got like my voice got very high and loud.
Speaker 2: You're warmed up? Now? Have you already know? You haven't done it yet?
Speaker 5: Night yet?
Speaker 1: Even on days when you don't perform, you do your warm up. Yes, Yeah, it's fun, right, yeah, it's.
Speaker 6: It's grounding and then and like then sometimes yeah, okay, I can't give too much away.
Speaker 5: I can't give too much away.
Speaker 6: I'm in like the danger zone with Coachello, where like it's going to start slipping sand.
Speaker 3: Totally because it's it's it's getting closer, it's happening you. You're seeing the visuals. We cannot fucking wait. It's going to be amazing.
Speaker 2: We're coming.
Speaker 6: We will take care of you.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, no, I'm coming weekin too.
Speaker 1: He's gonna be but I will go again because I have to be there with him to watch it.
Speaker 2: I'm not missing this for the fucking world.
Speaker 1: So literally, what it was was we had w I had tickets for the first weekend, and he was like, I'll just come Sunday, and on the odds.
Speaker 2: I'm working because I'm working on Saturday, famously, on the odds that she's performing on Sunday night, I'll just come the Friday announcement. We love it. You're going to kick off the weekend so incredibly well. But I was like, Okay, now I'll go back the second weekend so that I get to go. Friend Mayhem is at March seventh's that's right two days after my birthday. By the way, this kicked off Pisce season in the best. Wow. Yes, it's February nineteenth, deep in the Fields. This is really really good stuff. Yeah, thank you so much for coming on.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much for having me. I loved this so much. I love you both so much. Thanks for being so kind to me. And it was such a nice hang too. It was, it really was.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I hope that we can do it again without microphones.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we'll get rid of these things. We love that. We do end every episode with a song killer, a killer tonight, killer killer, killer killer, Oh my god, listen to me.
Speaker 5: Bye.
Speaker 2: Last Culture Resis is the production by Will Ferrell's Big Money Players and My Heart Radio.
Speaker 1: Podcasts, created and hosted by Matt Rodgers and Bowen Yang, executive produced by Ada Hosby.
Speaker 3: And produced by Becker Ramos. Editing mixed by Doug bab and Anik for board and our music is by Henry Kamerski