Speaker 1: Welcome to the Wired to Hunt podcast, your guide to the Whitetail Woods, presented by First Light, creating proven versatile hunting apparel for the stand, saddle or blind. First Light Go farther, stay longer, and now your host, Mark Kenyon.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Wire to Hunt podcast. This week on the show, I'm joined by Mike Reed of Midwest Whitetail to discuss his incredible twenty twenty three hunting season and late season tactics so you can put into action right now. All right, welcome back to the Wired Hunt Podcast, brought to you by First Light in the Camo for Conservation Initiative.
Speaker 3: And here we are at.
Speaker 2: The end of twenty twenty three. I believe this is going to be our last episode of the year, and I want to wrap it up here with another fun episode looking back on this past season with a terrific hunter. Our guests today mister Mike Reid. You likely know Mike from Midwest White Tail. He's been a prominent figure on the Midwest White Tail show for years and now I believe he's one of the co owners. He is doing all sorts of good work there, putting out daily blogs and being a part of Chasing November and their main season shows. You can follow so much of what he's doing there, and he's doing it really, really well. Mike had a incredible twenty twenty three season, killed his top two target bucks, has had his family out there hunting with him and helping them have success. So today in the show, we actually end up talking about hunting with kids and his experience with his family. We talk through each of his successful hunts this year where he did fill his tags there in Iowa, the lessons he learned, the tactics he used. We dive into a lot of how he approaches targeting one single buck, because that's something he's really found a way to be successful at over the years, consistently putting his tag on his top one or two deer on the properties that he hunts.
Speaker 3: We cover some of that.
Speaker 2: We talk through some of the things that translate from what he does now in Iowa to some of his previous types of hunting setups back in the past when he hunted in Louisiana or when he didn't own land, so that's interesting. And then finally we wrap it all up by discussing some of the tactics that can help you and that have helped him in the past during the late season. So if you're listening right now and are trying to have some of that last minute luck around the holidays or early in twenty twenty four, Mike's got some ideas as well. So that's the game plan for today. Let's get right into it. Let's not beat around the bush, and let's get going.
Speaker 3: With Mike Reid.
Speaker 2: All right with me on the show is someone who I've wanted to have on for a long time and just hasn't happened yet for some reason. I'm very glad to introduce mister Mike Reed. Thanks for being here.
Speaker 3: Hey, thanks for having me man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been, you know, following what you've been doing and all the guys in Midwest White Tail for a long time now, and uh, and you've been on that list I have of guys that we just got to get on the show eventually. So I'm glad this worked out and under good circumstances too. You've had a heck of a year.
Speaker 3: Huh. Yeah, it's been one that I think we're gonna have a tough time beating for a while. Between myself having a great season, but just the kids and the family. It's been one that'll be tough to top for sure.
Speaker 2: What's that been like as the kids have gotten more and more in hunting, and has that forced you to re shift priorities at all or how much time you're spending? How do you handle that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure, I think naturally it's what I want. You know, My interest in hunting has just progressed over time, and now to sort of building that desire in my kids and teaching them. And so, you know, my oldest as twelve, and she picked up a bow this year actually last year, started practicing with the bow and we were able to make some hunts with the bow this year, and she's become a really proficient hunter, a patient hunter. She's had great success. And I'm trying to build up that woodsmanship in her and some of the scouting and some of the stuff that my grandfather taught me and you know, pounding out on Louisiana Public Ground. And you know, now, Ryan and I actually were just talking a couple hours ago about what next year is going to look like as my you know, so my twelve ten eight year old girls, my twins are going to be six in February, and I said, you know, I Brian, my eight year old killed two bucks this year. I just killed her second one a week ago, and Bellas killed two. My ten year old is circling back saying, I think I want to go again. She shot one when she was seven, and I want to be like my mother. Two sisters and the boys are chomping at the bid. I was like, there's no way I'm going to be able to take five. Ryan, my wife trying to help me. It's it's a lot of fun, though. It just is so much fun, and I get way more I think, enjoyment out of that than even you know, hunting for myself. I think it's just it's just a lot of fun. To see their excitement.
Speaker 2: It's so cool man, so so great. It's it makes everything new again for you. You know. That's what I found is we kind of get we take so much for granted right after doing this for so many years, and we get so deep into it and kind of obsessed with the deer, we're after YadA, YadA, YadA, and then you take out your kid and all of a sudden they see the squirrel next to the tree and are like, that's amazing.
Speaker 3: That it's amazing. Yeah, so good.
Speaker 4: You need that.
Speaker 3: Oh it's beautiful. Yeah. It just rekindles a lot of things. And you know, I want my kids to enjoy the outdoors, and so to see them like Bella this year getting in a tree stand for the first time, being in the timber and being like mass squirrel is three feet away and got turkeys and pheasants and deer and and just every time she turns around, why I'd be like, you know, it's just it's just so enjoyable.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, so now they're on this topic, I've I've got to pry you for some info. Info they'll help me. So, like I've told you before we start recording, I've got a three year old and a five year old. They're just about four and six, and they both want to go all the time. And the six year old almost six year old is gung ho and like is getting good as far as being able to control himself out there, being able to stay quiet. He's into it all. The four year old is manic right as most three slash four year olds would be. So one of the things I've struggled with or just thought about a lot of guests is trying to find this balancing act when you take them out, whether it's hunting or camping trip or whatever, balancing this idea of keeping it fun right. You want them to enjoy the thing so they want to keep doing it.
Speaker 3: But then I.
Speaker 2: Also have found, or at least maybe this is just me, but I've thought that hunting and the outdoors and things like that are opportunities for growth in a kid too, right, learning mental toughness, or learning how to persevere, or learning how to deal with a little bit of discomfort. How have you navigated that with your kids? You've been through a bunch. Now you're ahead of me. Is that something that you've ever thought about at all? Or do you lean one way or the other?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think you hit the nail on the head as far as growth. I mean, not only are they learning actual useful information and how to harvest food from the land and be self sustaining and all these types of things, but you know it's challenging, right, How many six year olds have put a pack on and climbed up a big hill, you know? And I try to use little moments like that say hey, there are a lot of things we have to work for. It's hard, It's okay if it hurts a little, it's okay to you know, suffer a little and have a challenge that you overcome. And I actually use it a lot in everyday life talking to them about you know, if they're whining about something or crying about you know this I got to out or something, I'm like, hey, you know you you we talked about going elk hunting. We talked about going out west in the mountains and and how tough you have to be to go and do that for a week in the mountains, and you know, sometimes you got to suck it up and like it's okay to push through some pain. And you know, I think it's hard to get that in other places in life. That Aldre certainly offers some opportunity there, and I definitely try to, you know, capitalize on those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's the truth. So does does anyone in the family still have tags for the late season?
Speaker 3: Yes? Yeah, actually so the second split of archery and late musslower and I would just opened up today actually and Bella, so my wife got a landor and tag and filled his first shotgun tag, so she technically could get a late Muzzy tag. But she's she's usually happy with one Bella. I offered her, you know, she got a Kansas buck and then a youth buck and so she can get a late Muzzy tag. And I had offered her, like do you want second gun and go with the three point fifty or do you want to go Late Muzzy with the crossbow. And she was like, I want to go Late Muzzy just because she gets two weeks off of school and she'll she'll want to go every day.
Speaker 2: That's so great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I was like, okay, all right, you'll get And then I asked my third daughter, brind I said, do you also want to wait for Late Muzzy or do you want to get the second shotgun? And she went ahead and got second shotgun and two sits in, got a buck last Sunday and so she's done. And so yeah, my daughter Anna Cat, she hasn't hundred in three years. As I mentioned, she she has a late Muzzy tag, and then Bello will have a late Muzzy tag and myself and you know, so that's gonna from here until the end. I take every day off, every afternoon off, starting January first, get I get busy at work the end of the year, and so we hurt we hunt the holidays. You know, it's kind of a family affair. We'll all be out there on Christmas, even Christmas Day and all that, so those days will be good. But then starting New Year's that ten day stretch will gover afternoon. Wow, there's still there's still plenty of plenty of hunting to be had for the Reid plan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, with all these kids, I feel like you're you're like running an outfitter, Like you've got so many, so many people to put here and figure this out. I mean, you've got a lot of balls in the air trying to figure who goes where and when, and you've got an interesting hunting situation there in a.
Speaker 3: Way, and it's it's been something that it's a little challenging the balance. I said, you know, there's no way we can all continue to shoot this many deer. I mean I've bought land and invested in land and tried to diversify and get good pieces that have good caring capacity and can carry a lot of deer, and a lot of them. I don't shoot anything the first three years I own them. I just try to get the age structure really up, and we're pretty nitpicky. Even the kids. They from the time they were little, we talk about what we actually go after, and they always say, we want to shoot Grandpa deer, and I'm like, exactly, So you know, if a buck comes out like it's not a Grandpa deer, and I'm like, that one's not a Grandpa dear, We'll go ahead and keep waiting. And it's not because I have good age structure and I haven't. You know, they don't have giant racks, but there's plenty of five year old type plus year between the properties, and it's been a luxury. It's been a blessing for sure to be able to say, okay, you know we can we can go in harvest and a lot of them, I mean the kids. We'll shoot some four year olds and things like that. I mean, obviously a first year is difference kind of go shoot whatever. But I try to start fairly early thinking about conservation and the herd management. And it's been a challenge though to set up enough spots that you can say crossbow hunt out of, because when they're real little, they're not super interested in the gun. I almost ruined my oldest daughter with the gun getting on a muzzled or when she was six and she killed one, but then she was seven it kind of got her. And well, I've really taking a step back saying, look, whenever you guys are ready, and that crossbow has been a blessing to be able to take them. Doesn't make noise, doesn't kick. I just got to get them within forty which obviously that's a challenge, especially late season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So what's that age that you found? This podcast a whole different direction than I originally planned. But I'm so interested because my kids are great there. We don't have an age limit anymore in Michigan as far as your minimum age. They can start going as soon as they want, as long as they're a parent or mentor. And so my five year old almost six year old boy for two years. But I can do it dead, I can do it. I'm like, no, we're in a wait a while. But what I've struggled thinking through what that right age will be and is there a difference between when he physically can pull the trigger accurately versus when he's like mentally ready. Just thought about that a lot. How have you gone about you know that decision with your kids.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting. It's it's I think it's different for every kid, you know, and I even think probably between boys and girls it's probably a little bit different. I mean, I feel like my boys are they're doing that boy thing where they just want to shoot all the time. They love shooting the twenty two. They love it just you know, target acquisition, getting a good site picture, doing all that kind of stuff. Belle wa' be in my first. You know, I just cultivated it into her and I felt very comfortable when she was six. You know, Anna went when she was seven, and when we did it, I was like, oh, that's probably a little bit early. Brin. When when she was six, I was like, it's definitely too early. I mean she was just in the blind doing all this and you know, late season in a blind with the heater, with some hot chocolate and snacks and like a puzzle and some books and like trying to make it very very fun. But say, you know, let's get up and count the deer. Let's talk about the deer. You know, it's interesting. I think your situation, it matters what you're going to put a kid into. They gotta be comfortable. It's got to be fun. It can't be too long. And I definitely started like last year, I didn't take brand when she was seven. This year at eight, I mean, she's totally ready in the zone, knows how to get focused. And you know, some of my kids are a little more eightyd than the others, and so that's fluctuated with with how I might approach you know, them individually, And it's hard to know the right answer because I've had buddies take their five year olds and just knock it out of the park. But you know, with my kids, I kind of tiptoed around that six seven age mark and sort of feel better a little bit older, like come, come sit in the blind, come watch, but you need to sort of show me that you can do it before I just turn you loose.
Speaker 2: Right, And what about the age when they've actually been able to pull the trigger and do that? Well, has that been like that six seven mark or seven?
Speaker 3: Bella was six and it was seven and Brent was six. On the crossbow. That crossbow, you know, it's a little tiny one, it's compact and it fits them. And of course we do lots of practicing at the house until I feel like you can get a good group. We study deer pictures where to aim. I make them take a pencil and put marks, you know, and I'm very selective about when I would give them the green light. You know. Both my first two did really well, no issues. My third daughter, she kind of was arguing with me in the blind, you know, years old, and there's a beer at forty and I'm like, just use the forty dots. She's like, I want to use a twenty dot and I'm like, uh, well, I'm shooting this dough right here, you know. And then I'm like there's deer walking and moving and she's all over the place. I was like, wait, okay, everybody, just take a step back. Let's stop for a second, wait for a night, let's make sure we're shooting the right one. And you know. So, I think it is different for each kid, but and the gun, I've wanted to wait until they just feel super comfortable shooting the gun. Tak them some out turkey hunting where it's not so much chaos. But yeah, I think that six seven range has worked well for me. The boys are certainly beating on the door. They're five, and they really want to go, and I'm like, I want them to wait one more year, just because it's hard to take five kids.
Speaker 2: I can imagine.
Speaker 3: For the gun helped me out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, seriously, got to get the whole crew. They're just taking out the kids. You mentioned a three point fifty and you mentioned a muzzleoader has been Has the three fifty been the best option for the young kids or what did you started them most? Y?
Speaker 3: So I I had a muzzleoader and I got kind of loaded it down, you know, fifty grains and keep the shot close. And that's just because that's all I had at the time when Bella that was that was six years ago. Since then, Iowa change the law where you can use a smooth wall cartridge rifle during youth and shotgun, and you can't do it during late muzzleloader or early muzzloder, but youth and shotgun. And I got a little youth three fifty and I really had the recommendation of a bunch of my buddies just saying, and the gun shops and that's a great youth gun and they shoot it very well, very consistently out to one hundred, great group and they don't complain about the recoil, and so to me, I don't have a lot of experience with a lot of other but you know, at the recommendation of a lot of people, tried it and I have really loved it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got one of those. You can use those in southern Michigan during our rifle season, and I thought the same thing. Perfect for someone young. I mean, no recoil light, easy to use, Yeah, strong choice, very effect.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And I mean to put them down too.
Speaker 2: It does, it does the job. You don't need more, Yeah, you really don't need more. So what about your season? So you've had the kids out, they've had some success. I've seen for sure, you've taken two of your target bucks. Have you taken anything else?
Speaker 3: Or is that? That's you know? Here in Iowa, I used to do urban. I stopped doing urban a few years ago when I first moved up here, just my job was so labor intensive that I couldn't get out of town hardly. So I started doing urban. It was a nice way to manage the population but and get an extra tag. But essentially, in Iowa, you get an archery tag, you get a statewide and then you get a landowner to choose either archery or gun, and so I usually get a landowner archery and a statewide archery. And uh, yeah, I took down DK on October thirtieth buck that I kind of come into the season. He was gonna be my primary target. And really before we even got going with the with the rut, he comes strolling in and in a in a spot that I've had a lot of good luck with on my river Bottom farm and a spot I called the pinch. It's just a great natural, little funnel area. And yeah, he just walks into twenty yards and you know, yeah, I hut some deer for years and you know, can't even get him within fifty you know, but that one worked out pretty well.
Speaker 2: So we got to rewind that a little bit. Mike, Yeah, sure, because because you, like you mentioned, you've hunted some of these deer for years, and while some of them have taken you a while, I mean, you've any deer that makes it on your hit list is in big trouble, it seems like for for a long time now. I'm I mean you've gotten your target bucks or one of the bucks on your list, or several of the bucks on your list every year, So you've you've really seemed to have nailed down this process of like figuring out a specific buck. So that's something I love to do, and I guess I'm just curious about what that process has evolved into for you now after you've done this for so long, you have a system that obviously is working now, like, yeah, maybe with DK as an example, or if one of these other bucks is a better example, can you kind of walk me through how you go about kind of putting that entire plan in place to dial it in and kill that one deer.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, And it's I mean a lot of it goes back to history. I have been very fortunate and be successful over the last good bunch of years, at least the last five years. When I really started saying I'm going to just hunt this dear, just enjoying the chase, right, I used to start to add my list of these are all my shooters on the farm, any buck that's five or older, and I was pretty happy to take any of them. And then over time I kind of say, well, let's make it a fun chase and go after one. And you know, I am fortunate since I own the property and I've owned the river bottom since twenty seventeen and the home farm since twenty eighteen. Now to have years of history, probably what works the best for me is I get to sort of pick up on these deer when you are three, you know, and then four and I'm just not going to shoot him then, you know, and I'm I'm watching them and learning a lot about their moving patterns, where they like to be, what times a year. And I mean I knew DK pretty well because we've got four years of history with him and where he likes to be, and so coming into the year, I just designed my plan around that, you know, where am I going to put food, where I'm going to set up my spots, How am I try to get him early? And then you got your good natural rut spots that if you sit there enough and they're in the area, you should probably encounter them. And then I always fall back on late season, you know, if I had a good good amount of time to have success growing my crop and my food plots. You know, the river bottoms of Wetland, So there's a lot of rules and I have a compatibility use agreement with the NRCS that allows me to put five percent of the property into food plot and so it's not there's no agg there as far as just I planted one hundred acres, I combine eighty and I left twenty standing. I mean, I've got five percent and it can and I mix it between green and grain. But the deer population is so high there and I'm still working on that. It's hard to grow grain, you know, So I do sorghum, and I do beans and corn, and I got to fence it and then it's just been a it's been a struggle to grow it. But the years that we can get good food late season ends up being you know, if you haven't got them yet, you probably are gonna be able to get a shot at him late season. But I prefer archery hunting. I love the chase in October November, and so really historical knowledge and then learning the property. I mean I added onto the River Bottom farm in twenty twenty, and you know that was an extra three hundred and forty acres in addition to the two twenty, So there's a big chunk. And I feel like just this year I start of know how deer like to use it, just natural movement patterns, and then what it's changed over the last two years is the drought years, which slews have water and how that affects your movement. And then this year the mass crop, the mask crop was just insane and both the bucks I shot. You know, I have all my spots I like, and I'm like, if I just rotate where I'm hunting in the wind, I'm going to encounter them at some point. Like this buck lives over here, I'm kind of dips in the farm over here. This one's over here, and five hundred and sixty acres. Mean it's a good it's a good chunk of ground. But it's not like I encompass their home range completely, right, So all these deer are coming and going and they're they're they're crossing roads and encountering other hunters and all that kind of stuff. But this year I modified a lot what I was doing, just based on the mass crop and where the does were, and I mean it worked really well.
Speaker 2: So when you say you modified what you're doing based on those two things, how did you modify You're modifying your habitat plan or just how you hunted.
Speaker 3: No, just how I hunted. Yeah, So the river bottom doesn't have a ton of eight oak trees, and there's a couple of just concentrations of them, and I was, you know, I noticed there was a good mass crop. But then I'd go sit there and be like twenty dos just sitting here for two hours all morning, right, and so coming in and out, I was like, well, so then I was like, okay, I'm not going to go move and hunt. You know, when I get that north wind, I'm not going to go to that spot. I like, with a north wind, that's just sort of a good spot. I'm just going to keep hunting around these oak trees, playing the wind, just in the spot and kind of staying in those locations. And just because all the deer were coming there, and you just knew the bucks they were going to be there that morning, you know, the amount of encounters we were just having, it was it was just it was hard to want to go somewhere else. I'm like, I mean, this is obvious. If I keep sitting here, it's gonna it's gonna work. And even when we switched to my second buck and who was all the way on the south piece of the property, and again, the form I've just kind of been learning the last couple of years, and I just I'd hunted this one particular tree a few times in the past, but it was always okay. I just noticed that those red oaks were just dropping like crazy, andess all the year kept going there. I said, well, I think we keep sitting we're going to kill him. And you know, five years of history with this deer, it's been kind of all over the place, all over both pieces of the river bottom, and you know, I had three encounters with him in one day and then ended up shooting him November eleventh, and it was just like, well, it's hard to talk myself out of going, you know. RIGHTE asked me where do you want to go tonight? And I was like, we got to go back to that spot. You know, you climb in the stand and there'd be deer you could see embedded and they get up, come feed and the a carns go back in bed, and it was it was just interesting dynamic. I don't know that we'll see that again soon. I mean, in six years of owning the place, I've never seen a mass drop like better. Is it changed the deer patterns for sure?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I know that mass situation was unique. But one other thing I've I've struggled with sometimes is this, I guess it's it's like a pressure, and it comes from what we've heard a lot and what many of us have seen in our own hunts, which is, you know, oftentimes the first time you hunt a spot, it's the best, right, and then your impact slowly chips away at the deer activity right, And so there's always this temptation to be like, okay, I should move. Okay, she go to the next spot, she go to the next spot, bounce around, bounce around, keep them on their toe. But then sometimes, like in a situation like you're talking about, the right move is actually to stick it out. Or I've had a deer like I was hunting this year that it seemed every time I would go to A, he'd be at B. So then I would go to B, and then he'd be at C, and then I go to C and he's D. And I kept on the rotating round and he'd always be random in which way he was going. And then I finally got to think, and I just need to stay in a spot, and then he'll eventually cycle to me. How do you how do you think through that and manage those two kind of competing thought processes when picking out where you want to hunt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I don't like to overhunt a spot. I mean I usually say, if I've got a buck that's using area and I feel like I've got a good chance, I do like to give it three sits. A lot of times I just play the law of averages like he's gonna come by. But for the sake of you know, like what you were mentioning, you stink it up and you disturb it too much. And some spots kind of lend themselves if they've got good entry and exit to repeat hunting without disturbing it too much. Other spots are blown out deer every time you go, you know. And the Pinch is one of those spots where I really feel like I can just hunt it over and over and over, particularly in the morning. I don't hunt it in the Afternoon's hardly ever I can get in there in the morning the deer or nowhere around. We get in early, and the thermals helped me so much, got deer on all sides of me. We never get picked off there. They all work past. I hunt till noon or whatever. You get down, get out, and I've got a mode path that basically goes almost directly to the stand, and we hunt it repeatedly, repeatedly, repeatedly, and I say it like wee hundred it twenty times. When that doesn't happen, I naturally, with wind directions and going back to work and all these things give it breaks. Yeah, but I try to be conscious about over hunting a spot. Three spots is kind of three times is my number. And then I've changed what I do for vacation. I used to take a week off, you know, and hunt nine days, and then that was it. So now what I do is I take three days off, two or three days off the last week of October, two or three days off, two or three days off, and so I break up my vacation days. I usually take seven or eight vacation days over a three week period, flank weekends. And you know, before the time change, I can hunt afternoons a lot of times, and so you know, earlier I'm not hunting mornings, you know, and we're we're working into the end of October, you know, and then just that naturally gives my farm's breaks. And then obviously having more than one spot I can rotate around. It's it's a little different than it used to be now that you pick a bucket, Like I'm hunting K and he's on this piece of the farm. I mean, I'm basically rotating around that one spot. So I try to be conscientious of it and hunt smart. You know, I'm not. I don't dive way back in there very much. I mean a lot of it's got good access, it's on the edge.
Speaker 2: Yes, can you can you break down that pinch a little bit more? I know you mentioned you've got the mode path in and out, but what else makes it so that you can hunt it uniquely like that? And it seems like I mean I've seen an arail of it, so I can. I can see that it looks pretty good. But for the folks listening that maybe don't don't hit that background. Can you kind of walk us through a how you can hunt it so much? Be what it looks like and why it's so effective?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I get this question a lot, just like on our videos, they'll type how does this working? There's no way it works? You know, it's hard to appreciate it. I think just from a like an aerial or a drone shot, but so to paint a picture. The entire farm is a wetland. It's flat, there is no undulation. You know, there's a couple slews, but it's all wetland grass. It's tall natives and wetland grass and willow thickets, and it's got great ground level horizontal cover. And so I have a lot of mode lanes all over the place, primarily for fire breaks. I mean, I want to rotate my burning, and I have a fifteen foot mower that I keep everything mode really really short. But it also allows, based on certain wind directions, access because I can just use an e bike or walk in boots and there's just no vegetation to rub up against, and so all my spots I can generally access fairly well because of the mode paths. The river is on the west side of the property. We have this one hundred acre peninsula that is just thick, gnarly wetland and it's all bedding, and so the deer work their way out of that peninsula up the river in the in the afternoons to the north to all the big aggfields that I don't own. They're just destination agfields, and then in the morning. I get there early, and don't I don't come down the river edge. I come at it perpendicular. So I come in from the road and I have a modepath essentially that kind of comes at the river perpendicular. And so the pinch, there's the river and then there's a slew and it's a strip of timber oak trees, and then when you get on the other side of the slough, it's all that wetland grass, which is really it's a lot of bedding as well, but it's little pockets and deer bed out there. And they don't all come through the pinch, obviously, but all the deer that are going back into that peninsula, they naturally come through that pinch. It's and when the slough has water in it, it works really well because you got you can have deep water in there and then the river and they really walk through there. Right now, you know, they spread out a little bit, some of you can see them going through the grass and the natives and some are in the slough and and all that, but it's still that that peninsula pulls them to the river's edge because they're going around that bend, and it just it's one of those spots where I mean I've killed four I mean I've owned the place six years. I've killed four bucks there. Wow, I mean I've hunted a lot in the spot. Funny, Yeah, seventeen, nineteen, twenty one, twenty three. So my camera guys, all right, every other year we got a shoot buck. Wow, it works. It's a good spot.
Speaker 2: And so that's where DK met his end, right in the pinch.
Speaker 3: That's right October thirtieth. And it was sort of funny because we were seeing pre road activity. We were filming some great four year olds and some great three year olds chasing, grunting, awesome vocalizations. And I had had an encounter a couple encounters with DK there last year. I had one encounter, like November third with him. He didn't come all the way through, but you know, I knew that he would come through there at some point, and I wasn't really thinking then. I thought maybe on a dough later in November. But that morning he just was eating acorns. I mean, there was does and some little bucks and he's just kind of feeding and walking around. They're just socializing there, eating and where the stand is, it's right in a little cluster of oaks where you can see the deer walking. They hesitate there to munch for a little bit. So it worked out well.
Speaker 2: So so walk me through what your kind of hunt strategy looked like, you know, from the beginning of the season to that point, because if I remember right, you took a couple stabs at him early and he had daylighted in like a little plot somewhere, and you kind of were kind of the wrong spot, wrong time a couple times. And then that transition a few more hunts into that late October time period when you start hunting the pinch. But can you walk me through a few of those decisions along the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, So early October, mid October, I tend to focus on afternoon hunts over whatever food source I think they're hitting. And he was living on the north side of the farm or or off the farm and kind of venturing through the north piece of the farm occasionally. And I had two plots, little tiny clover plot, this little bow plot forty yards by forty yards, and a little acre acre and a half turnip plot. And when the deer come through the pinch and out of the peninsula, they often work through my turnip plot off to the north to all the agg and just way more deer traffic there, and the little clover plot it's it's just not in a high traffic area. So you can sit there and see a dough or two and it is what it is. And so I tend to gravitate towards the other plot because I feel like he's more likely to show up there. And I had him the beginning of September, multiple afternoons in a row eating turnips, and I put a bunch of radishes in there in front of the stand and it just had it just made a nice plot. And he was there a lot in early September, and I said, okay, you know, the food patterns are going to change and this, that and the other. But I still thought statistically that one's going to be better. And so I actually had a set up for a south and set it for a north wind, and I would go sit that blind and there was a time or two that right at last light, with five minutes ago, he'd pop up on that clover plot and basically what he was doing he was coming my way, you know, but where he was betting off the property. He would swing, he'd come through all this standing corn and then swing through that clover plot, get his picture taken, and then he'd keep working his way eventually after dark onto the turnips, and I thought, man, and I was always saying, well, if he's better on me today, he's going to hit the turnups first. But if he's not better on me, he'd probably be over there. It took a lot for me to go hunt the clover, and I ended up hunting it twice, and it was pins and needles, because just like, man, if he's better in this corn right here, he's going to be on us. And the first time we hunted it, we actually stayed in the stand for thirty forty minutes after dark and we got a picture of him. I mean he walked probably sixty yards from us and was working a scrape in the dark. We couldn't see him, but yeah, because I was like, well, let's let him if he is coming in, let him come in and get past it. Because so early, I never I never felt like I have other deer. In fact, like last year the Bucky shot October sixth I mean, he just was in the property and I felt like, man, I could kill this dear early, I never really felt that way with DK, just because he wasn't really on the property and yet had the cards feil the right way. I mean, it could have happened. I was. I was still focusing on these October cold fronts and kind of playing my moves. But those two food plots aren't terribly invasive, and I just kept hedging on the turnups and the one night he daylight while I was there. It just happened to be on the other one man.
Speaker 2: So it goes and then the you know, you go through the month waiting on fronts and whatnot. You get to the end of October. You said that was the thirtieth, so that would have been a few days into that awesome cold front that we all got in the Midwest. Was that was that part of the rationale for starting to hunt those more? I know, I mean it's kind of that time of year two, but you pushed into one of your best spots on a morning hunt. Was it the combination of it's the end of October and cold front?
Speaker 4: Yep?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean, how could you drop a better picture?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: And I had. It was actually the last day of my five day stretch of vacation. Maybe I had a six day had a six day stretch. I took off Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and then I had Monday. And I just loved the pre rut. I loved the end of October. I love those older bucks looking for that first dough and just being callable and kind of doing that stuff. It's just one of the most enjoyable times to hunt. And so I started hunting mornings. I mean, if I look back over the last fifteen years of hunting Iowa, I've had some really great pre rut morning hunts starting October twenty somethinghere around there, so I'll start hunting more mornings. I have to negotiate all this, right, so our balance out how much I hunt, and so early I've done a lot of afternoon and then sometime around October twenty I start focusing more on mornings. And you know, like you said, the cold front, but I'd actually hunted the pinch maybe three or four times before that day, and we had gotten his DK's picture before I killed him. We got him way south into the farm, in fact, the spot where i'd really never gotten him. And I was like, man, what this is so weird, because what I was thinking was going to happen wasn't really happening. And we took six bucks off the River Bottom farm last year, which was kind of what I was like, Man, I really cleaned out. I mean eight year olds and seven year old and six year olds and my daughter shot two, I shot two, Rye shot one, and his wife shot one, and it's six bucks. They were all six year older except one of them him if I remember right, No two or five, Wow and so. And we hadn't taken a lot of bucks to previous years. We were hunting Marino and Dax so much and just got a lot of age on some of these deer and somebody's here one hundred and ten inches. But you know, they were bully bucks, like we like to call him, and we've taken him out of there. And I do think that was probably a factor in inviting DK being able to roam in there a little more was he didn't have as much competition. But you know, Mike ran, we're talking it over about where to go because we got his picture. I think that night to the South I was like, yeah, I'm not going hunt over there, though I'm still going in the pinch because you know, whether he's coming out of me or coming back in after a night of tomping around. I mean, that's still the spot to focus on. And you know, just trying to get that area where you can get him in bow range. You know, it's one thing to go sit somewhere and see a deer off in the willows, but get him in bow range. So yeah, the end of October, the food, the acorns there, the cold.
Speaker 2: Front, you know, all lined up well, yeah, couldn't couldn't write up much better than that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so you're the void you created.
Speaker 2: It's very interesting. I mean this scale, like the way you're able to do that is way off from what I could ever do. Like, you have a lot of land there, and your age structure is incredible, and you can take five six bucks over five that that's amazing.
Speaker 3: It's crazy.
Speaker 2: It's crazy, but but I think even like random schmuck like me could probably still learn something from this, or you take something from this, and that, you know, I've started thinking about trying to create a void myself. Now I'm working with like one hundred, one hundred and twenty eighty like stuff like that. But I've had situations where they'll be like that really nice three year old, and then there's a four year old and a five year old, and they might be like the standard, just like, hey, he's going to be one hundred and twenty inch eight and he's a hundre in twenty three inch eight and he's one hundred and twenty seven inch eight. And I've always been so paranoid to go and hunt some of these spots too often in fear of educating the deer and pushing them off under the neighbors and stuff, that I've sometimes avoided targeting a deer like that at all because I don't want to go muck it up for that really nice three year old that I'm hoping to hunt in a year or two. Sure, so how do you balance? Do you ever worry about that? Have you thought about that? Like you got to kill the bullibucker? You want to try to open up a space for these younger, higher potential deer, but at the same time, you don't want to blow all the bucks off your farm and then have him get shot by the neighbors. Or you educate that three year old and then the next year he's like he's on you already. Yeah, anything that ever happened.
Speaker 3: I've spent a lot of time thinking about that over the years, and I mean I've I've not owned land for a super long time. I mean, I'm I've on land now for eight years, and so I've definitely changed the way I think about things. I've had some lease ground before that, but before that it was public and just grinding it out, and I had some friends that would let me hunt some back in Louisiana. And but you know, what I've come to the conclusion is if I really make my property as good as possible, so food, water cover very inviting, and hunt it smart, those deer are going to want to be in there. And so like I don't worry too much about running off the three year old because of my human pressure, I worry much more about the bully buck doing it. You know, I mean, I've just seen it over and over where you get this, you know, five year old, six year old, seven year old book that I'm like, well, I don't want to burn my tag on that. Even at one point, you know, I get one bow tag and before I own land, and I wanted to just hunt the best buck. Well then you sort of think, well, it's great if there are multiple deer, but every farm is a little bit different, and how much cover do you have, what's your carrying capacity? I mean, you've got a couple five year olds, it's not like there's so much covering the river bottom area. That deer density is ridiculous. I've never seen anything like it on anything that I've personally owned or hunted, and just a year after year, there's just there's just so many deer. So it's it's really a luxury. But like what I teach my kids, we still have to manage the herd once they get to five. And you could argue, I think in a luxurious situation that six would be better, you know, as far as seeing the most potential out of a out of hampers. But whatever they have on their head, they're probably not going to get a whole lot bigger, you know, and you might as well haunt them and harvest them. They've reached full maturity. This is a grandpa dear, let's let's do it, you know, and so trying to just focus on taking out the mature ones and then hopefully keeping those young ones there to grow up and have future deer to harvest. So that's kind of how I look at it.
Speaker 2: Man, I hope that four year old that you call Moss because that deer is cool. I love that kind of heavy tall brows, like the drop, the tall.
Speaker 3: I mean, I know even last year, so I don't. I don't know him from the year before last, and you think he would be very recognizable. But last year I had one pitchure him in velvet and I was like immediately like, whoa, what dear is that? You know? You just see these big tall brows and uh, you know, then we got to get more picture of him and get it, get a good age. Guess. I was like, he's got to be three, and you know he's a stocky three year old and uh, this year I actually saw him getting involved and uh, I mean, I just love those brows and I don't have I've never killed a year with like a big drop time. I've killed some little ones. But he's got he grew a big bass kicker, and it just takes everything I have to say. You next year comes at ten yards like three times. But you know what I mean, See I try to commit, you know, DK okay DK nothing and play the game. But good news, I did get a picture of moss. Like yesterday night, I was like, he made your gun season, So that's great, Like statistically he should hopefully be there next year.
Speaker 2: Man, Yeah, he is one. He is super cool. I hope he's there for you. Yeah. So so speaking to this kind of topic then of like getting these deer to some age on them. The other deer you killed I heard you talk about I think it was on one of your Guys podcasts. You were talking about how fits the other buck you shot looked like a four year old forever? Like every year, like I has a four year old ten, and then next year I has a four year old ten. Talk to me a little bit about a deer like that and how a deer like that can kind of slip through the cracks for years and then finally this year it all came together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's such a strange thing. You know, they we put a lot of weight on body size and you know, skeletal structure and how you might age a deer and all this kind of stuff. And I've seen too many times that example of a deer that just never is a big body deer, and so so much of it goes back to just history. To really feel like Okay, I'm confident in where they're at. And I think for me, a lot of it falls back to he was on he was a three year old. Right when we really started, I started kind of picking the deer to hunt. And it's at the same time as my chaos in my life between kids and work and Midwest whitesel and everything else is on ramping up. And I said this on our podcast talking about I used to just I didn't have kids, and you know, all the trail cameras and all the time and just going through stuff, and I just knew everything about everything, and I never would have looked over at any deer. I just knew who they were, and I could tell you from a one hundred yards novel that so and so and you know. And so anyway, getting focusing on a certain target, and when I'm flipping through trail camera and sell cam picks. Over the last few years, as I've transitioned to that, you know, I'm usually blowing by stuff that's not the buck I'm after, and I just want the information I need to strategize. And so a little bit of that played into it. But a couple of years ago, you know, fits we were seeing him late season. Every time he'd pop out of the timber, I'd say, man, that's a good dear, what deer is that? And oh it's that big four year old ten? And then last year he just didn't change it all. In fact, I think he got a few inches smaller. And so then I started questioning myself, was he three last year and he's four this year? How old is that, dear? And so I started going through tild camera pictures and I was like, oh, man, he was. He's been four a long time.
Speaker 2: So I was like Benjamin Button deer exactly.
Speaker 3: And so once I kind of got last year, you know, I was focused on what I was doing with Kelsey, and but I told I told Ryan last year, I said, we didn't we didn't have that dear extra He's gonna be seven, and you know, he grew his best rack. I mean he went from a straight up ten for four years in a row to a six by seven with kickers, and I think he had seventeen scoreable points, which is wow, just nuts. He wasn't a lot of masks, not a big frame, but you know, lots of points and certainly age is the most important thing. Just seven and a half year old buck. I mean that so.
Speaker 2: Hard argue that. Yeah, so how how did that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So how that'll come together? You killed DK at the end of October, and now you've got like a little work break. You go go work for a while, and then you've got one of your little rocations again. Yeah, So how did you kind of attack him now that you had to shift gears?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because we were shifting into you know, primary breeding. So it's a it's a pretty difficult time to hunt one particular deer, right they're locked down for two or three days and you might catch them. And we actually joked a little bit when I was hunting DK because DK is not on the farm, you know, like he didn't really live here. We're gonna have to kill him in November. But he was the one I wanted. But all the while, I'm getting pictures of fits in daylight over and over and over and over on the south end of the farm. And I was telling Ry, I was like, man, mid October, I think we could have killed him, gone in there and killed him. He just was so it was on such a pattern, and I was like, you know, we're gonna, we're gonna It's not gonna be that way now. And so anyway, kill DK go to work for three or four days and I come back to start over, and our first day back, I said, you know, I still think because it was November third, maybe November third, I still think he's betting in this one particular spot, and I still think he's going in there in the morning and bedding down for a while, kind of mid morning, nine o'clock after he does his rounds. And I had had a few pictures of him doing this this thing the previous two weeks, and so I thought, that's our best chance, hopefully before he really leaves or goes and does whatever bucks do in the rut. And we sneak in there, and I was right, we're in the but we're in the tree goofing off because we're not overly confident what we're doing. Then all of a sudden, I hear running, and I turn around and he's coming up right behind us, and he got out of there. Both of us were pretty disappointing ourselves because we had let our guard down, and that was that would have been an opportunity to just I mean, bang bang. But yeah, so he caught us, and I actually shifted to the other side of the farm, probably eight hundred yards away the direction he ran off in that morning, I thought, you know, he's gonna probably go bet up somewhere over there. And then I had a food plot over there, and we saw him twice that afternoon, once kind of harassing oze out in the timber about one hundred yards away, and then at dark he came through the food plot and I hunt that particular spot on A West and I have a different where I killed him on a south. And so I said, you know what, in the mornings we can go hunt our runt spots, but in the afternoons we have these two food sources. I've got the acorns right here, and I've got that turnip plot that we almost killed him in, And just based on where the wind was, I was going to bounce back and forth between those two spots in the afternoon. And we actually never saw him again until the day that I shot him. So we had three encounters in one day, and then actually he wasn't on camera for three or four days. And what I think was happening was, I mean he was locking down with a dough. In fact, I went through that little four or five day cycle of hunting, went back to work for two or three days. We had some good weather come through and I got a picture of him in the morning with a dough, and then I got a picture of him that afternoon going back out with the dough, and I was like, Okay, he's just in this little area with the dough, and it's something that I actually seen the year four with him right in that spot, and so it's where he liked to be in the rut, and so I just kind of said, you know, I'm gonna I'm gonna hone in on this area. When he was three or four years old, he was farther to the north, but the previous couple of years he had moved down to his pocket of doze, and I was really making decisions based on that and hunting the dose. You know, where the dough is going to be, and those acorns and I mean that dough drug him under the tree three yards just.
Speaker 2: Can be then Yeah. Yeah, so you've killed you killed these two bucks this year. Last year you killed Kelsey and I think another big old giant buck, and then the year before that, you kill the legends Dak and Marino. Yeah, and you know, you can go on and on. You've you've had this amazing run. But you mentioned a while back, you mentioned, you know, you've only owned land for eight years something like that, and you've been in Iowa for fifteen or something like that. Before that, you were Louisiana, right hunting some public and hunting other people's stuff. So something of a lot of folks, you know, like to gripe about when it comes to like the hunting media today is they say, well, we're just seeing these guys kill these big giant bucks on a bunch of land they own, right. But I always like to kind of look at the situation and then separate the situation from like the strategies that have got them there. And I always think that even though I have better situations now that I hunted than I had fifteen years ago, man, I've learned so much that I could go back to those places and be way, way, way more successful than I was back then. So this is a long winded way of getting to what would be like the top one or two things that you've learned in these recent years that you would take back with you if you had to go back to Louisiana or if you had to go back to hunting public or buy permission stuff. What do you think have been like those most important things now that would translate to a less ideal scenario.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you know, probably the most useful thing that I've honed in on is scouting aerial maps, you know, looking at a piece of property, because the way I hunt is I want to figure out where the deer bed and where they feed. That dictates everything. Where they bed, where they feed primarily, and then I don't I mean, I have a few stands of a inbedding areas and I love getting into thick stuff at the right time of year and having a lot of fun. That's how I grew up hunting public, because all the deer get pressured and go into that. But in the Midwest it's a little bit different. I mean, it's different than the swamps of Louisiana, where it's just thousands and thousands and thousands of acres and similar to what you probably hunt Michigan, right, I mean, it's like big wood stuff, you know, and especially if it's heavily pressured, you're getting back into certain areas and that's a lot harder to look at. I would say aerials and pick out okay, betting feeding, and I had some experience doing that, but it was private ground still in Louisiana, where there were food plots and there were things where you say okay, and there were cuts where they were doing rotational logging operations and you knew where the deer were going to primarily be betted, and so you could sort of say okay. And that's really back in the early two thousands when I started sort of honing that idea of I'm not just hunting a trail, I'm not just hunting a scrape line, you know, in a way I am, but I'm still trying to figure out, okay, where these deer really betting, and then where they headed out to and is that acorns right now? Is that ag? Is that something I planted? I think it's definitely easier in the Midwest. But any property I get and I talk to a lot of people friends that have property, like, how would you approach this? And I mean you pan that camera out and where is the cover? You know? And then topographically what draws because deer man, you go out hunting out in Kansas and it's a ton of grass, you know, and it's little ditches and are you look at what Caleb just did recently on the show, Like you know, it's just tree lines and waterways, you know, and deer. They're resilient creatures and they find areas, but trying to figure out where you're at, where they like to hang out and where they're going to feed and get in between, and that's probably the most useful thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So then in this scenario that you are in where you do have your own land and you can make changes, and you have made changes and things, what do you think is the most important change that you have made as far as you know, being able to manipulate the habitat, set things up how you want. You know, you've you've you've built something in a couple spots now that works really really well. If you had to put your finger on that one or two things that made the just difference, what do you think that would be?
Speaker 3: Probably food, honestly. So the home farm was a cattle pasture for seventy five years, never farmed and heavily heavily hunted every year. The farmer that I bought it from let everybody drive through it and push all the deer out and I mean, there was nothing for age on that farm when I bought it, and it was it was Hey, half the farm wasn't accessible because you couldn't get across the creek, you know, the cows had access to it. But I bought that farm. I put in four creek crossings for different access. I did sad busts where I could start planting, because you know, I'm investing a lot of money into land, so okay, let me start farming where I can because maybe CRP or whatever I need to do to generate income to help cover costs and things like that. And I didn't need to make the bedding be better on that property. It was already very centralized. Cattle pastures that are allowed to grow up, you know, tend to be gnarly things. I mean, lots of locusts and hedge and multiflora rows. So the bedding was pretty thick. And so I just optimize feed there, you know, basically strategically putting food where I can hunt it. And then the river bottom is is similar. You know, the whole place is cover. It's interesting now over time finding out okay they really like that peninsula, then trying to work with the nrcs and the forester about and the whole thing is not wetland. There's there's about sixty acres that's not a wetland that I can do what I want on. But where can we do TSI work to thicken up some areas and really hold them there, and then release some of those valuable trees, those mash trees, those white oaks that are in there, the swamp oaks and that kind of thing. But it still goes back to food because for years before I owned it, there wasn't food on it. And the year that we flooded, and another year where we just didn't have success. I didn't have the right equipment and I was trying to figure out how can I grow food, and I hadn't bought electric fence yet. It's amazing that you're gone. I mean, once the rut's over, they go find food. And so I've made that a priority there and here in the Midwest. In these situations, particularly as you get late, food is just king. It's a must. But it helps a lot throughout the entire season, right, I mean early season. It matters. If you're holding dose on your property, the rut's going to be better you're going to hold more bucks. I mean all these types of things. So just really putting a lot of time, energy and effort into diversifying food plots and being successful with them and what it was going to take there.
Speaker 2: Yes, So that raises the question when you said diversify your food plots, do you prefer to have different and food sources in different places to get that diversity or do you ever mix in single plots? I've heard you mentioned like clover plot, Braska plot, But how do you usually do that to get that right ratio in draw where you want it when you want it.
Speaker 3: I generally have green plots and green plots, you know, like the home farm. I actually commercially farm it. So I do my corn bean rotation and I combine everything except like six acres that I leave for food for late, and then I put in green plots. Now my green plots, I tend to do a mixture. And I'm still playing around with it. I mean I had alfalfa there for a long time that we hate, and we actually it just was so tore up. The guy that was paying it for me is like, we need to just farm it a few years. It just it was so eroded and it just was a tough place to hay. So that alfalfa, I want to get back to it because it's so valuable early. It's so fun in velvet season, and it's a great spot to early bowhunt. And I've changed kind of how the home farm hunts by putting that into a crop rotation. But my green plots, like where Bella, my daughter shot big Mac in September, this eight and a half year old deer, five years of history, I do braskaz. I usually have clover mixed in, and I love radishes for early and so I'm gonna do a Braska mix. Got some turnips and rape and sugar beets and everything in there with a clover base. So I'll either depending on how old the plot is and how weed it is, sometimes I kill it, turn it under, put the clover and everything at one time. But what's even better is, you know, if I have a healthy clover plot, or like let's say I do that to a green plot and I put clover in with the brascas, it's mostly gonna be brascas that year, but in the spring it's gonna come up thick, lush clover. I'll mowed a couple of times have a nice clover plot for turky season and through the summer. But then when it comes time for the end of July, I'll go in there and either till under strips to put brassicas or drill brascas in there and have a nice mixture and then broadcast radishes like what I did this year in front of each stand. I just went in a thirty yard circle and just put some extra radishes just onto the ground on top, and it was interesting to watch the deer kind of gravitate there and concentrate there. And I just like having a mixture in the green plots because I don't have tons and tons and tons of green plots. I have a couple that I like, and each one of those different things is more palable at different times. And you know, it's fun to watch what the deer like to eat. But I think they all kind of might feel like something different each day too. You know, they're in there and they got a shortage bark, so it works out well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems like that that diverse approach seems to have a lot of benefits to it, like you described there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you want a drought year, right, I mean, like not every you do a monoculture, you're gonna potentially hose yourself. So having some shade tolerant, drought tolerant, you know, and then hopefully end up with something to hunt over. And I mean I've done this on where before I had any equipment, you know, like we always call it the pormat spot. Go spray and see it and you get a little bit of rain and you can you can really make a spot a lot more effective by doing that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, so you mentioned the home farm and how you've you've got this grain rotation, but I wanted to talk to you about the home Farm to kind of wrap us up here a little bit, because there was a late season stretch a few years back that I watched recently, I guess it would have been sometime this past winter. I remember watching these episodes with my son and he got a kick out of it because two of your daughters, I think, if I'm remember right, two of your daughters and your wife killed bucks in like back to back to back sits right around Christmas, and I think from the same blind or we're like very close to the same place, like over and over and over, and that blew me away.
Speaker 4: Yea.
Speaker 2: So I had to ask, you know, as as we move into this late season time period that we're actually in right now when we're talking, there's people out there trying to get that late season last second magic. Tell me about this like dream scenario, amazing situation you had somehow it was able to like handle that, Like what did you have there that was drawing deer like that in the late season over the conditions that got these deer up on their feet over and over again? And how'd you manage to to do that without educating these deer the fact that hate we're getting hunted here after you had a shot and recovery a shot in recovery. How did that all work?
Speaker 3: I know, it's pretty crazy how it worked out. And the spot just lends itself to it so much. But it's in the back of the property. It's a sixteen acre agfield, and it's a big bottom goes up the hill and it kind of tucks in back to the main bedding area and it's this little finger of crop that goes back in there. And so what I did when I bought the farm, I just sort of looking at it and how it set up I was like, this is right up against the bedding, big thick draws that go down into the timber, super gnarly old cattle farm. As I mentioned, tons of multi four rows. The deer cannot see out into the field from the timber. It's just so thick. And so when I bought the property, it just kind of looked at where I could put green. I made four little green plots, you know, north south, east west sides of this thicket. And so this backfield, this little finger that goes back there at the very tip of it, I have a little green plot turnips and whatnot, which can be pretty effective late season as well. But then when we're drilling all of our crops, we go back in there and make a loop and turn around and come back out. And what I have done is I'll take plot screen, and the co op works with me on this. It's kind of nice, but I'll once my beans were coming up, I actually go and I'll till under a six foot wide strip or a ten foot wide strip and hand broadcasts of plot screen some Egyptian weed and sorg them and whatnot and pack it in fertilizer and flag it so that when they come back to spray my beans. They skip over that and where it works out great for a northwest wind, and I can come all the way around to the back of the farm. We walk up this big hill and we're in the blind and I've got plot screen and so you got great entry and exit for late season. And then it's just right butts up against the bedding area. And we had it was Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and then we skipped one day because the wind had switched out of the south, and then went back to that same exact line when the wind switched back. So three sits Thursday, Friday, Sunday, three kills and it was a five year old, a six year old in my four year old, my seven year old daughter. It was her first deer, and we were being we're certainly being less less picky, and my wife was with us, and so it was really cool. There were four of us in the blind. And I think, you know, the farm is interesting because it's in the center of a pretty big section and it gets hunted pretty heavily all around. So through gun season deer move in there. Every year, deer move in there. In fact, side note the buck my daughter Brin shot last weekend. I don't know the deer, and it's it's a big, mature deer. And I got one picture of the night before and I texted my Ryan and I said, man, look at this buck. And we went in there the next day and he was still in there and she killed him. And I don't know, the dear big ten. You know, it's like so and he actually had a bullet hole through his neck. Just yeah, And so, you know, they just get a lot of pressure. And in fact, that night there were three or four other shots. Right, there's just a lot of activity. So my farm, in the grand scheme of things, is not very pressured, and I'm very careful about how we go about hunting it. And there's great cover on it and food. So that particular year we sneak in there, we're using a crossbow, so that's also you're not shooting up the place with the gun. And both my daughter at the time she was would have been nine or ten, Bela, and my wife, you know, thirty yard shot, heart shot deer runs forty yards into the timber, and both of them died in the same exact spot. I mean they shot him the same spot. They died within three feet of each other and so quick quick recoveries. I think if we were tramping all let's say they hit him back and we were tramping all around the timber, maybe that wouldn't have worked out. But being able to slip in there after dark because they shoot him right before dark, get the deer out, get out of there, you know, I mean, it's it's And I think the other unique thing is that we were seeing like a different mature buck each day, right so, and I noticed that now if I go just rotate around my farm, because the way I have all the food set up around that central area, there might be a buck that likes to go to one. But it's not at all surprising. They'll come out to the east one one night, they'll go out to the south one one night. So you kind of get a rotation where that buck that we were shooting the next day wasn't there the night before, so he wasn't part of that exposure to all the deer clearing field or whatever. So it's sort of a perfect storm. But again it goes down to I think low pressure, good deer numbers. At that point, I hadn't shot a lot of deer on that property. So we were getting we're some pretty good age amongst the bucks, and you couldn't draw that up any better. I mean, what a memory, right, I have the best photo ever of my wife and two older daughters, all with with bucks, all with a crossbow, and it's just a crazy story.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. So so what are what are some of the other kind of foundational late season things that you're thinking about if if you were still trying to get one killed right now, or as you are probably trying to help your kids, you know, in these coming days and weeks, what are some of the other things you're thinking about to help choose where to hunt or when to hunt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's it's uh, I mean it's hard. It revolves around food, right, If you don't have food, you're not going to have deer. And they're definitely skittish just times a year, this time of year. They doesn't take much to clear a field, but we started. They're driven by their stomach and I shot a great buck a few years ago. I have a property, one of the first proppers ever bought. I've never sold it, and it's two and a half hours away and I rarely go there. You know, we farm it, it butts up against a lot of cover. And it was January first we had a huge storm coming in and I was like, we got to go sit that place, and you know, one hundred eighty inch deer comes out, and you know, you're like, well, there you go. That's the recipe in Iowa for success. And I think I was unique in that we're far enough north where we get we get we're post rut ruts. In November, we're post rut and then we have these can have this harsh weather and it just it just drives in the food. Of course I don't hunt mornings. Then, just that sort of concept of the deer feeding feeding, feeding, feeding, feeding, and they're not betting very far off the food. And so if you go in there in the morning and blow them out of they're not going to come back out in the afternoon. And so not only are we transitioning from hey, we were worn out. We just hunted however many days and we need to get back to, you know, other priorities. So it's kind of nice over the Christmas holidays, a lot of family time in the morning and then we go do a three hour hunt in the afternoon. It works out well, but I also think strategically you just have more success that way. I think some farms set up well to hunt bedding in the morning, the way their access is. I have friends that can do that late season. They can get in the back of a bedding safely and catch deer coming back from the crops. But none of my places really set up like that, so I focus on food and afternoons and cold weather.
Speaker 2: You mentioned the plot screen that you had on that home farm setup, which sounded perfect for getting out of there. Do you have any other exit strategies, because that's always one of the toughest things I encounters, is like, you could hunt good food in the evening, how do you get out of there without spooking a thousand deer if you're hunting close to the food. I know, it's what have you done?
Speaker 3: It's tough, you know. I don't have this luxury anymore. At one point I had enough people that didn't have anything to do that someone could come clear the field with a vehicle. You know, nobody's going that. So my wife would laugh at me. Maybe when my kids get a little bit older and start driving and be like, hey, we don't live on the farm, and so that's a you know, even the home farms thirty minutes from the house. But that's a good strategy if someone lives on the farm. Some of my food plots, like at the river bottom, a lot of deer, even though it's a three acre food plot. They come out of the peninsula. They they'll feed there for an hour, but then they work they work off I mean every time, right, And so if you could somehow set it up where it's not truly the destination, that's ideal, you know, because you can just keep going back and they're not there when you get out. And then the other strategy that I've used where legal is like electronic calls, like a coyote call. You know, you put your your coyote call under the blind in the bushes thirty yards away and have the remote. You know, that's not legal everywhere, but you know you can turn on a coyote yapp and and then all the deer run off and you just get out, sneak out and get out of there.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's that's pretty effective, you know, if if it's legal where you hunt. But I always I try to wait till it's super dark. We don't use lights, you know, and I'm hoping that when I get out of there, you know, one dough clears the field right, and it's like, I'm they don't really know what's going on, because I definitely have had to get out and clear deer off the food plot. Another strategy, I don't use a ton I used to use it more like shoot a dough or something, but then you got to go recover the dough. And so I've never technically liked that one thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I don't know for sure what your forecast looks like, but I usually what you guys have got in I was just a couple of days ahead of what we're getting here in Michigan, and h when I look in the two week forecast or the ten day forecast coming up, it's not real promising for late season. It's a lot of warm, mild weather. We don't have that awesome blizzard coming through. We don't have the big cold, cold, frigid front hitting. It's kind of been the story of most of this December. Does anything change for you when you have this warm weather, Like, you know, if someone's got like, hey, this is my time off, I was gonna be a hunt around the holidays, and now we're stuck with this kind of lousy weather. Do you still try? Do you hunt a different food source, like I know some guys might prefer some type of food and warm weather versus some type of food and cold or is there something totally different off the wall that you'd be thinking about with that set of conditions.
Speaker 3: I I don't. I mean, still these deer are still post rut, They're still trying to put on weight for the winter, you know, and it's just not quite as good. They may not get to the food plot as early. And maybe that one buck you're really hoping showed up never does because he's just not It's it's not cold enough yet. But in general, you still see deer going to feed, and so obviously with the time I have, it's a huge family bonding time. I mean, we're going sit in the blind, we're spending time out there, and if we kill a greade, if we don't, whatever. But I do think the warmer temps, you can see even on like Troke coming stuff, that the deer might hit the green more. You know, they might be in the turnips more that day. And so I was actually looking at the forecast thinking about I had just drug. I have my blinds on trailers, and so I pulled a blind out to the beans, and I thought, I'm watching the cameras and I'm watching my turniplot have a bunch of deer in it every night, and it's actually easier to hunt with the crossbow because it's smaller. And I was like, man, I should probably pull a blind back with these warmer temps, and still trying to decide if I'm going to do that, but I I mean, I'll still go hunt my corn and my beans all the same, and you know, all that action might be the last thirty minutes, but you're still getting most of those deer coming out there, at least in my situation where it's it's private ground that you aren't super pressured. I mean, they're wanting to eat. I mean this is not everywhere that cold weather. You know, they're out there at two o'clock in the afternoon, and that what I love about. Yeah, you're out there so early, and that's when you get those jury you maybe never saw before that they're like, we got to find food, and they're traveling miles to find food and you're like, what buck is that you know? And so you know, we still have a lot of fun, a lot of success even if the weather's not perfect.
Speaker 2: All right, So you're saying there's a chance, go just go, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I can't kill them from as they say.
Speaker 2: Right, that is the truth. So okay, So folks want to see these hunts we talked about DK or Fits all the others. If they want to hear about stuff, if they want to stay up to date with what you've got going on, can you give us the loadown on where we can find all that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the easiest place is our YouTube channels. We have Midwest White Tail, our main page that we put the weekly Monday main show on and that's that's sort of the main kill every week, and you can find all those kills from all the guys on the main page. And then there's a group of us that do daily blogs and so that's really our journal, right, that's the highs the lows, that's the strategy. That's the goose egg hunt where you didn't see anything that's going in there having great hunts that some of that stuff gets replicated on the main show if we have good encounters. But that's where it pops up within twenty four hours. Typically it is the daily channel, and so we have a there's small group of people that enjoy watching the grind, I guess, and it is fun because you don't miss anything following along with that. And we also have our regional channel where all of our regional pro staff from across the country we post their content. And while YouTube is the easiest, we've got it on pretty much all the major platforms, so you can if you just search for Midwest White Tail, you can find those.
Speaker 2: You guys are pumping out a whole lot of stuff, and I'm always impressed with it. It's always good, it's frequent, consistent, and uh man, you guys are having a heck of a year this year. I don't know if you were gonna point and I mean probably ninety nine percent of folks listening to our podcast also already watch your stuff too. But let's just hypothetically say there's someone who's new who's not familiar with Midwest White Tail somehow, and you were gonna point them to one video that you guys put up this year, I can I mean, there's a couple of you guys have been pretty stoked about I know, all right, you guys have had some really good stories this year. If you had to pick just one that you're gonna say, Hey, you gotta gotta go watch this one. What would that one be?
Speaker 3: Oh? Man, that's oh I got two. I got to pick too, because there's two that are so good for different reasons. I mean Owen's early season kill of Lockness and getting in to Owen's history, and I mean being a Michigan boy and growing up and the grind and just like sort of the pinnacle of his hunting career. And not to mention, who doesn't love seeing a two hundred and fifteen engineer go down? And you you talk about the strategy. That guy's a master, right, I mean he he's a master of it. And so to be able to pin that deer down six and a half years old, all the history and just get him just like that was It's awesome. It's a great episode. And then our most recent one, Caleb Grinder, the story of his entire season. I mean, we'll bring a tear to your eye. The emotional stress. I mean for those of us that are like really obsessed with this and just live and breathe it and Caleb's one of those guys to go through what he went through this year, having just a dream hit list and hav an ehd ravage like everything, and then to come full circle and to do a spot and stalk on the ground on a giant I mean, it's just crazy. So it's they're both. They're both way up there. I think in the history of Midwest whitetail as just top in and they're both this year. And there's some other good ones this year, but those two, man, I'll be saying that in ten years, like these two episodes, you know that's I mean.
Speaker 2: I can I can say the one for sure. I've seen that one. Haven't seen Caleb yet, but it's on the It's on the to watch list here pretty soon. That's a long one.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's a long one.
Speaker 2: It's a long one. So I've got to invest some time in that.
Speaker 3: But three evenings to get through it with all the kids and the Christmas concerts and everything else. But I tell you what, it's it's awesome. I Mean we're always kind of bouncing around about what's best, how do we produce these things, And we've always really pride ourselves on a good story and education and all these types of things. And we used to try really hard to cut everything down to twenty or thirty minutes, and it's hard to tell the whole story. When you've got some of these stories, I would say, you know what, we're not trying to fit it into a TV channel like we used to be, like this, this is YouTube, like hey, you know what, people could fast forward through if they don't want to watch it all. And you know, but for the ones, I really enjoy that story. I mean, they're just great stories and like you just find yourself, you know, I mean I find myself just at the edge of my seat following along, so so free.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad that we have that freedom now of longer length. You know, the twenty two minute TV shows of the you know, back in the day, that is not enough to hardly do anything. So it's not I'm all about these forty five minute, hour long almost We're getting films now. Yeah, and these dear deserve.
Speaker 3: That, yeah yeah, yeah yeah truth.
Speaker 2: So well, Mike, I'm glad we finally got to chat. I really appreciate you taking the time to do this.
Speaker 3: Thank you, yeah, man, thanks for having me. Hopefully we can do it again sometime.
Speaker 2: I hope we can. I'm sure that next year I'm gonna have to get you on the show to talk about killing moss at five and a half with double drops and thirteen inch brow times and all that kind of stuff. So let's just cut that with calender now, okay, I only hope, all right, let's plan on it. Appreciate it, Bud, all right, and that's going to wrap it up for us today. Appreciate you listening. I hope you've had a wonderful twenty twenty three. I hope your hunting season has been fun, successful. I hope you've learned some things, and I hope, as we all try to do every year, I hope you've grown. And next year, hey, it should be even better. So enjoy the holidays. Merry Christmas, Happy New Year. Whatever are you doing however you're celebrating. I hope it's great. And until next time, stay wired to hun