Speaker 1: Chris Custodis ipsis Christodi is welcome to it could happen here a podcast where the only person who actually took Latin high school isn't here leading me to do this Latin bit. I'm your host Mia Wong, and with me is Garrison. Hello. Hello.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna try to speak Latin because if I did, it'd be some like weird like esoteric incantation and then it would open up a whole other canet worms.
Speaker 1: So you know, this is this is this is the most the most well known Latin. That's probably not the most well known Latin is probably some bullshit from like Latin mass or something. But one of the more well known Latins, which is who watches the Watchman? Roughly, it's not a test. The popular translation is who watches the Watchmen? And by that I mean we are asking the question who ensures that the American Supreme Court does not just sort of collapse into a ball of pure corruption, And the answer was nobody.
Speaker 2: So true, I always trust in the Supreme Court.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's great. I learned. I learned that we pay these people two hundred and eighty five thousand dollars a year, like we pay them two hundred eighty five thousand dollars to like take our rights away. This is just insane. Well, why why do we do this?
Speaker 2: It's well, I mean, this is a very clear reason why we do this. Actually that maintains the semblance of order and civility. Yes, however, coma deeply fractured however.
Speaker 1: Coma, this is coming apart because these stupid assholes can't even maintain the veneer of not being like the most corrupt people in the history of mankind. So we're coming off of like two, I mean not there wasn't really a potential for this this session of the court to be as bad as like last year's one where they killed row, but they killed affirmative action, and they also did this really really just sort of.
Speaker 2: Really weird ruling on queer stuff and the business's right to discriminate and choose, the business's right to choose how to use their creative expression, which has resulted in a bunch of really funny things. I saw this morning. Actually, there was this hair salon who was refer for to serve LGBTQ clients, which now all of like all of like the suppliers for the hair Sloan are no longer sending orders to the hair salon because they're also allowed to discriminate from this hair salod because of the same ruleing. So it's creating all these really complicated like supply chain things with businesses choosing to be really homophobic and queer phobic and then like type of like a supplier is just not then just not giving these businesses the supplies they need to operate their business, which is pretty funny.
Speaker 1: It's really amazing too. So the other thing about this is like this is the actual ruling, where like any pretense that this is like a functional court was just sort of thrown out the window because Okay, so one of the one of the like the fundamental principles of and this is one of the fundamental principles of the common law legal system, right of the legal system that not only the US is based off of, but like you know, I mean like like literally we're talking like like hundreds and hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of years of history that predate the American system arguably can traces back to the Roman system. One of the things that's fundamentally based on is that you cannot try a case on a hypothetical. Something has to something has to actually happen for you to have a case, and this case has just thrown that shit out the window. So what this case was is there's this woman who supposedly is a wedding wedding website designer. And we'll get back to that in a second, because oh boy, uh just straight up lied to the court and claimed that a guy had requested her make a wedding website for a gay wedding. And this never happens, right, this like did not happen the less like track down the guy who she said had like requested a website, and that guy is a straight b had already been married, and she is a web designer.
Speaker 2: The whole, the whole story is was just a fake.
Speaker 1: I think. I think like that's that's that's the part of the story that I think got the most pressed. But the part of the story that thinks like funnier is that she's not actually a wedding website designer. This entire case, she set up this entire site. What appears to have happened, She's not wedding website designer now, right, what appears to have happened is that she and like the sort of like one of the one of the sort of like right wing like legal networks got together and cobbled together this business like specifically so they could get this ruling.
Speaker 2: So which which which seems like that should be a like illegal. It's this sounds illegal. It sounds like legal fraudst on trial for perjury right now, her lawyers should also be like her lawyers and her lied under oath multiple times to multiple different courts. Like yes, that's what we're seeing here, right is the sort of like thin legal veneer that has always been sort of over the Supreme Court that's supposed to make it seem legitimate.
Speaker 1: It's just sort of like unraveling. And at the same time, so if you if you, if you think that makes the Supreme Court like like look illegitimate. Wait do we get to the corruption. This is the real reason we're doing this episode because oh my God, Jesus Christ, this is I oh God. And then you know, the thing I really learned from this is I didn't understand how rich Supreme Court justices are, like Clarence Thomas. And in all of the pieces about Clarence Thomas, right, it starts with like he is like the poorest Supreme Court justices and and his family makes eight hundred thousand dollars a Year's.
Speaker 2: That seems like a lot of money.
Speaker 1: What are you even talking about? Like, So, in terms of the sort of corruption stuff that's been happening, there's been a bunch of uh, there's a bunch of research now by Republica into a bunch of just like incredibly shady and corrupt things that a bunch of Supreme Court justices are doing. So we're gonna start with Bastard's podlum, Clarence Thomas. So, one of Thomas's close friends is this real estate mogul named Harlan Crowe, and he Harlan Crowe sucks ass. He and Harlan.
Speaker 2: Crowe sounds like what you would name like some like weird like rich villain in like a pulpy seventies like mystery novel.
Speaker 1: I don't did you see when what like when people figured out who this guy was and it went around on Twitter? No Oh, I'm so excited for you. Okay, this this is gonna be great. So okay. So, so Harlan Crowe is he's one of the country's largest land lords. He has like a pro, he's a portfolio of twenty nine billion dollars of assets. He he owns properties like all over the US. He also, okay, so he has a giant mansion, right, and in his giant mansion is a bunch of Nazi memorabilia, including an autographed copy of.
Speaker 2: This this guy. Yes, okay, now that now that you mentioned the Nazi now so.
Speaker 1: So he has the things that like, stereotypically you would assume that like a like a Nazi para familia guy has, right, Like he has like he has that sign, an autogap copy of my comp He has like a bunch of pictures that were drawn by a bunch of like actual paintings that were drawn by Hitler. But he also has weird shit, like someth I've never seen before, Like he has like this these sets of like napkins that just have swastikas on them because they were like official Nazi napkins.
Speaker 2: I feel like we probably shouldn't, like we can even keep one copy of these, and like the Holocaust Museum and the rest of this stuff should be like burned, right, Like we shouldn't. Yeah, we shouldn't really have him to this tough line around.
Speaker 1: You know, like, Okay, so I'm gonna circle back to this because I think there's one there's another piece of context that we need to get you. He also has this thing called this he has he is this thing he calls the Garden of Evil, which is this like garden of statues of the garden he calls evil, Yes, And it's a it's a statue guarded behind his house that has like a bunch of like statues of dictators. They're like almost all communists. He really hates Tito for some reason. I don't know why. Well, I mean, she's a billionaire, obviously, Like this is why he hates Tito. But its funny thing is it's like almost all it's like almost entirely communist. Like there's no like Mussolini or anything. It's like it's all communists. There's no Husselini what. No, No, there's like there's there's a host name Barick, and then there's one of what what's the guy's name, I don't remember his name, Uh, Prince of the the guy who shot ar Street Ferdinand, which is weird because that guy was not he wasn't he wasn't evil. No, Well, that's I will not I refuse to take a position on that.
Speaker 2: That's not my position. My position like a dictator. Oh yeah, that's like on the level of like evil on a dictator level. He like he's not He's no maw, he's no Hitler, Like come on, like he also like again, he is not a dictator. He was just some fucking random guy like you kill er streak for like okay, but baffling stuff. But but okay, the important thing about this, well, okay, first of who would be your first five statues in your own garden of evil?
Speaker 1: The garden? Oh okay, this is this is gonna be very biased because I'm ranking this by people I have personal grudges against. Okay, well, so personal grudg ENTI year air to one c C I what the fuck is his name? Name? Paul Volker? Who else do I have? Who else do I have a personal grudge against? Who's a dictator? Mohammed Ben somebon because he bought my fucking StarCraft league?
Speaker 2: What the fuck are you talking about?
Speaker 1: On that? One day? I'll put Okay, well, well we'll put we'll put We'll put Maut number five. Fair fair Okay, now, okay, So the reason the reason I bring up the the the the the Garden of Evil, right is that. Okay, so he has like a thing where he puts all the stuff from the evil dictators. But then all of the Nazi stuff is just like randomly strewed about his house, like his living quarters. Yeah, like like they'll don't be paintings by like actually he has like bush painting, seals, Hillo paintings. It will be like bush, They'll be like like a renoir, and then they'll just be a Hitler painting. It's like he's this guy all of his friends would because this guy has like a bunch of like right, we because he's one of I'm all be like, this man is not a Nazi, and I'm like, I I he hasn't he has. I don't know, man, Like, there are not many non Nazi reasons why you would have like multiple of Hitler's paintings hanging on your wall and also the signed autograph copy.
Speaker 2: Of I just want to remind myself that there's evil in the world, you know.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, this gets me pissed off. So my my one of my grandpa's I took took a took a Nazi sword off a dead officer and like brought it home from the war and it should be like and we like still have it, because what the are you supposed to do with that? Right? So like that that's like we we have one of those, right, But like we didn't take an autograph copy of my cough. We fucking killed a Nazi officer and took it from him. Like, if we're gonna do this, you have to do it correctly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: But this guy, this guy, okay, oh aso, she gets really really he's like unfathomably mad that people wear shake of our shirts.
Speaker 2: Like she's I mean, me too, mad, me too take of our shirt? I'm usually not.
Speaker 1: I'm most almost circling back around on it, just because it makes this guy so mad. Like this guy in particular spears to be worse.
Speaker 2: Most of the take of our shirts I've seen are sold by disgraced white disgraced right wing commentator Stephen Crowder.
Speaker 1: So oh god, what then we we we We've we've truly entered hell world now, Okay, so why why why am I talking about Harlan crow partially because he's really funny?
Speaker 2: Doesn't it doesn't like give a lot of money to like certain people.
Speaker 1: So okay, we're we're yeah. So she he's one of the people who runs a really really extensive network of sort of like it's like right wing like think tank dark money network that you know, buys judges, like pays for people legal careers. And he's also very close friends with Clarence Thomas. And so I'm gonna just run through all of the ship that he's like all these just like incredible corruption that he's doing. So okay, so I'm gonna start with like this is like this is like like the level one corruption, which is so Crow bought Clarence Thomas's mom's house and then did quote tens of thousands of dollars of improvements to the home and he seems to have bought the house for like significantly above market rate. And so this is this is a this is I'm gonna I'm gonna be We're gonna do it. We're gonna do a corruption anatomy here because this is a classic Chicago, uh corruption scam. Sore. There's like there's like six revenue streams in this. Right, you have the money from the sale which goes to like you know that that that that's that's like, that's your level one bribe, right, is you're selling you're selling, you know, you're you're selling your ho to someone at above market value. The level two bribe is, uh, you're not. You're now throwing in the renovations because his mom is still living in this house. Right.
Speaker 2: Oh so this is like it's like actual bribery.
Speaker 1: Huh oh yeah, yeah this is And again this is like the mild stuff. So that that level level two is you get that, you know, Okay, so now now you have the contractors, and the contractors allow you to throw in more money into the bribe because you're now you're now doing all this renovation work like for free. The level three of the bribes is that Okay, so now now once you once you have a renovation contract, you now have a contract that pays out money and you can use that to like reward your political allies. And so this is this is this is a classic like absolutely classic like Chicago, uh like payoff scheme. Now. The other thing that's so so Harlan was contacted about this and she claims that he's buying this house because he wants to preserve it for plus austerity because Clarence Thomas lived there, sure, which like she is very weird. She did give one hundred thousand dollars to Harvard to buy a portrait of like to get them to hang up a portrait of Clarence Thomas, so you know, he is a deeply weird guy. But this, uh, this reeks of eye of oh boy, now, yes, yes, well Republica, like pro Publica points out also that they they bought two random vacant lots in the area from Thomas for like unclear reasons, and you know, you can also you can also ask why does the Supreme Court justice like own a bunch of random vacant lots? And the answer to this question is that these people are part of the real boorgeois. They are like they they they are like as alien to us US state scamming, right, this is like yeah, like basically yeah, like they're they're they're they're they're doing stuff, like they do stuff with their money that like makes them like like they they are like as dissimilar to us as like we are from like a fucking Neanderthal. Like these people like the way they think about money, the way they like just like the way they act in the world, the way they relate to other people, like the fact that they're just buying random fucking lots, like across the street from their parents' house, Like why who knows?
Speaker 2: Ugh?
Speaker 1: And Okay, So the thing that's very important about this right is if you you know, okay, everyone in the government right from like starting from every court that is below the Supreme Court down to like a fucking astronomer who works for a national lab. If you receive a like a large gift over five hundred dollars, you have to report it to the government, and there's like an ethics process you have to go through. And this the standard. And again, this is the standard that holds from like like the fucking president of the United States down to again like a random astronomer. They are not allowed to have to do anything that has quote even the appearance of impropriety. Now do you want to do you want to know who? These standards don't apply to just the Supreme Course, yep, does not apply to them. They had there's only one thing they have to do right and aga again this amazing, Like so again everyone else has actual enforceable ethics standards. The Supreme Court has you have to report it. It doesn't have to go to an excess commission. You just have to report it. And yeah, do you do you? I'll give you three guesses as to how much of any of the ship that I just talked about that Clarence Thomas reported.
Speaker 2: Probably none of it?
Speaker 1: Nope, absolutely not zero, zero of it, like you over one hundred thousand, like probably like one hundred and fifty thousand dollars of bullshit, no reporting at all.
Speaker 2: I'm sure the cops are gonna go arrest him for all these crimes, right yeah, yeah, right at any day now. Uh yeh yeah, it's gonna be bust down his door now that we've cracked this one wide open.
Speaker 1: A okay, do you do you know who else is? And I am not joking legitimately is bound by significantly stricter i I ethic ethics regulations than the Supreme Court.
Speaker 2: It's the end.
Speaker 1: Plugging these products and services.
Speaker 2: I se see advertising guidelines that we have to follow.
Speaker 1: I am a podcaster every few months and guidelines of the Supreme every few months.
Speaker 2: We have to take like a like a ten minute training that just basically just plugs into our brains and uh it downloads all of these like terms and conditions that we then just robotically need to enforce. So yeah, do you know who else commits fraud.
Speaker 1: Were legally ed say that.
Speaker 2: These products and services? Oop's okay, Well I'm gonna have to do another one of those FCC trainings after this one. Well, well, here's here's the thing.
Speaker 1: Crime, crime is just legal now like this, this is what I'm getting out of this free court stuff. So all right, I started with this housing scam because A It's like, okay, this is this is like, this is like a classic level scam. Bbe this is because this is like absolute brush league shit compared to like everything else that's about to happen.
Speaker 2: Here are you telling me?
Speaker 1: This is?
Speaker 2: This is this is gonna get worse.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, So all right, I'm just gonna I'm just gonna start reading this from pro publica because I don't I cannot think of a funnier way to just do this. In late June twenty nineteen, right after the US Supreme Court released its final opinion of the term, Justice Clarence Thomas born in a large private jet headed to Indonesia. He and his wife were going on a vacation nine days of island hopping in a volcanic archipelago on a super yacht staff by a coterie of attendance and a private chef. If Thomas had chartered the plane in the one hundred and sixty two foot yachts himself, the total cost of the trip could have exceeded five hundred thousand dollars. Fortunately for him, that wasn't necessary. He was on vacation with real estate mogul and Republican mega donor Harlan Clohe who owned the jet and the yacht too.
Speaker 2: Ah. I see this just sounds like a friendly vacation, right, I need to read another another like really just genuinely from one of the most brutal.
Speaker 1: Polls I've ever seen anyone do is later on this republic article quote. In Thomas's public appearances over the years, he has presented himself as an everyman with modest tastes. I don't have a problem with going to Europe, but I prefer the United States, and I prefer seeing the regular parts of the United States, Thomas said in a recent interview for a documentary about his life, which Crow helped finance. I prefer the RV parks prefer the Walmart parking lots to the beaches and things like that. There's something normal about it, doubt, doubt.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't think he's gonna be getting a chartered to oats all the Walmart parking lots. Honestly, I don't really see that one happening.
Speaker 1: Five hundred thousand dollars. And the thing about this, it seems like he does something like this every fucking year.
Speaker 2: That nice doesn't like because I wish I could take I wish I could take a Supreme Court justice out to the open waters of the sea about once a year. You know, wouldn't that be fun for everybody involved?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, here's the thing. We're gonna have to pull our money into rent the submarine.
Speaker 2: That's true, that's true.
Speaker 1: But we look, we will persevere, we will achieve submarine. There's no laws on the ocean international waters. Baby is legal as as as as are regrettably off doing actual journalism. Colleague James constantly reminds us it is legal for him to fight the seal international waters.
Speaker 2: Just as legal as me disparaging all of our advertisers.
Speaker 1: So all right, you know, okay, So like obviously what is happening, Like Harlan Crowe, like this is a level of like bribery where it's like the wheels kind of fall off of the word bribery because like, how do you even I don't know, I don't even I don't have a way to adequately describe what this is. What I'm going to do instead is to remind everyone that Thomas was one of the justices who decided Citizens United, the twenty ten case that made it legal to bribe politicians through campaign donations and allowed corporations to directly involve themselves in legal campaigns, leading like directly to the hell hole we now I'll live in. Now once again, Thomas was required to report this as a gift to the government, and he simply did not. And you know, this is one of those things where okay, so like if a normal person does this right in in the government, you would take them to court. But we've now returned to our problem of who watches the watchers because it's Supreme Court right, they've established themselves as a dictatorial ruling council based on a power grab, and you know, I'm gonna I'm gonna do my the Supreme Court rant I do every time. But the Supreme Court does not have the power of judicial review. They do not have the power to strike down laws. They don't have it. They fucking get invented it out of whole cloth in eighteen o two. It doesn't exist, it's not real, it's never been real. You can just fucking ignore them. But in the meantime, while everyone believes it's real, they get to do this bullshit. And you know, so, yeah, so that that Indonesia trip is like the big one that we know of. He took another one to like Moscow and another. But the other thing that that see, he seems to have been doing a lot is basically like he like just uses Harlan Crowe's private jet as like his own jet. Republica calculated that like one, just like one flight that he took in twenty sixteen would have cost seventy thousand dollars, which is more than I make in a fucking year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, why why why did that cost so much?
Speaker 1: It's really expensive to to lease those kind of like that specific kind of private jet.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, okay, if it's for a whole private jet, that makes sense, Yeah, I say, slightly, wouldn't lease a whole private jet, but I'm just built different.
Speaker 1: Well, Claras Thomas has built even more different because instead of leasing it, he just has a friend who has the jet who just lets him take this Like like one of the Republican was doings. They were just tracking the jet and they they could match the jet showing up to the airport where Clarence Thomas was gonna be and then and the jet would mysteriously then appear in a location where Clarence Thomas appeared, and it was like hmm, and and this onother thing we should specifically know. So Okay, the the reason the Supreme Court has to do any of this at all is that the stream is that like someone finally had a good idea right after Watergate that was, like we should actually make everyone in the government disclose their gifts and this and this law actually like included the stream Court, although I feel like it won't in like two years when they strike that law down or some shit. But you know, but again, like one of the things fit like specifically in this law is if you take a private jet, you have to report it. And Thomas has been just like jetting around in this fucking jet for like a like many like at least like at least seven years that we know of, and has never reported it. So let's sure.
Speaker 2: I'm sure the FBI is going to be busting down his doors any day now.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and again like let let less you less you think we've reached the end of the Claire's Thomas corruption. Crow also like, okay, so you know how Claire's Thomas's wife is like a qan on person yeh, tried to overstow the government. Yes, so she has like a she has like a like a it's like a basically bullshit like political lobbying group. But it's like so it's a lobbying group, but like the actual thing that it does is reverse lobbying, which is you can go to the lobbying group and use it for like to get access to Clarence Thomas. And that group funded God, I didn't write down the number of mount but like that group got like two hundred thousand dollars that again his wife works for, got like two hundred thousand dollars from Crow. There was another story.
Speaker 2: That which which just now, I no lawyer, these are not actual, these these are these claims have no basis. This is just an uneducated opinion. But to me, if I saw this in a movie, I would call this money laundering.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, like oh god, okay, so Lily, just let me just go to the next one, because there's fucking more. There's more, Like so all right. Clarence Thomas has like a grandnephew that he like adopted as his son. Basically, like he like went to the family of this kid. It was like, I can give this kid everything in the world, so you should like give him to me.
Speaker 2: I'm sure this is all above board.
Speaker 1: I I don't know.
Speaker 2: This is uh what about this man has proved to you that he's untrustworthy? What do you mean?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: To me?
Speaker 1: Fair Clarence Thomas makes the argument that like he did this because like he was abandoned by his father as a kid and was raised by his grandfather, and so he was like, Okay, I'm gonna raise this kid like I'm gonna steal the better life. His parents need to have a gride to I don't know, I you you you can you can read into that the level of sketchiness that you want to The part that I'm gonna I want to talk about is that this kid. Okay, So a thing, a thing that I didn't understand until I got to like college, is that like okay, So like I knew intellectually that private schools existed, I did not understand that private schools there are like like there's like because I was used to like like Christian private schools, right, yeah, yeah, I did not, like I didn't like get how rich people could be, and I didn't understand that that they were. Like I like walk in there and there's like nine kids who all speak Latin, and every single one of them went to a private school that was like fifty at least fifty like somewhere between fifteen one hundred thousand dollars a quarter. Yeah, it is like what the fuck? What the ship? So claras Thomas isn't so his the schools he's going to aren't quite that expensive, but the kid, the ones he sends this this kid to, So for two years, the estimate is that it was one hundred and fifty thousand dollars per year. That was for two years, So seventy five dollars a year, which again more than I make it a year.
Speaker 2: That's reasonable, that's fine, that's fine.
Speaker 1: That is more that is more than like that that is more expensive than my fucking college. That is more expensive, Like I I like that.
Speaker 2: It is it is a ludicrous amount money. And guess who paid that. I'm guessing Harlan Kruw just why, I don't know. It's gonna just gonna pick it, just gonna pack like a random name off the top of my head, this Hitler's number one fan, harding crowded. It's so amazing because like again, all of these people have this. Like every single like conservative like every conservative journalist, like every conservative judge and every conservative politician, are they all have one of these guys?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it's this guy. This is the guy and so and every so like everything.
Speaker 2: Like the Koch Brothers fund a whole bunch of like content creators. But every almost every big like right wing dude has one of these guys, which is totally unfair because the entire left has to share one of these guys. We only get one, and he has to fund everything on the left. Meanwhile, the right has like has like a dime a dozen of these you know, like.
Speaker 1: Like legitimately, like like this was actually legitimately the thing that caused Soros to get into politics. You looked at us and he was like, what the fuck is going on? Like this is insane? Like why what what do you mean? Like the American enterprise that you just like creates Supreme Court justice like what? And you know, but like so, But the funniest part about this is, again, whenever any of these pieces come out, like every single conservative like pundits like in Unison and like like all of their fucking newspapers, all of their magazines, they're all funded by these people, so they all like publish like identical things going like how dare you criticize like the noble friendship of hard of this billionaire and the Supreme Court justice or just pals. They're just extending hospitality like you would to any other friend by taking them on a half a million dollar cruise around on your yacht. It's it's it's it's like incredible stuff. All right, we should do we should, we should we should do one more ads because you know who's so these are advertisements that we are being paid to promote.
Speaker 2: These are not our personal opinions, these are these are as there. I followed the SEC guidelines. Here's the fucking ads, and we're back totally totally not gonna get in trouble for that one.
Speaker 1: Let let lest you think, and I kind of emphasize this enough. This is something that was like when these stories first started coming out, the way it was framed was like, like, Clarence Thomas is like a uniquely corrupt Supreme Court justice. And then people did literally any digging, and it turns out that Clarence Thomas is not a uniquely corrupt Supreme Court like all of the like Supreme Court legal justice like experts were like, this is like a unique situation the history of the court. And then like like literally two months later, so Samuel Alito, who is a Supreme Court justice I in and this is in. This is two thousand and seven, appears on a a two hundred thousand dollar fishing trip in Alaska with billionaire hedge fund manager Paul Singer, who is Singer is like one of the most like Okay, as much as I don't like Harlan curowe like Singer is like one of the most evil people who's ever lived. Do you know who Singer is?
Speaker 2: No, but I'm sure this opinion is is Singers same opinion as all of our advertisers.
Speaker 1: Probably our advertisers probably don't like him. It would not surprise me. So Singer is just like incredibly unbelievably relentlessly aggressive like hedge fund guy, and his thing is he like goes into companies and like like makes really embarrassing like slideshows about their CEOs and then like deposes them and then takes them over and the trip's on for assets and sells them all. So that's like the one that's like one thing that he does. The other thing that he's cool, Well yeah, I mean it sucks because like every single person who would work they lose their drop. But this is that's the less bad thing that he does, right Like like this this is what I'm talking like, this is like legitimately one of the worst people in the world. Like for like any like Mitt Romney, right like that was the worst shit that he ever did. Was was like just destroying a bunch of people's lives by like annihilating these companies. For Singer, that's that's like the fuck, that's the bullshit stuff like that, that's like that's the fucking brush league shit. Singer's actual game is so one of the things that happens over the course of the seventies and eighties is you get a bunch of uh I've talked about this at length of many liberalist and episodes, but you get a bunch of these economies that basically like across the Global South, that just implode. And they implode because there's this combination of like commodity prices drop, and then they have all these adjustable rate like loans that they're taken out, and when Paul Volker hot like hikes interest rates, all of these like loans suddenly have like twenty percent interest. And so you have all these economies all over the world that just fucking are imploding because they suddenly have this like unbelievable that they can't pay off. And so over the course of the nineties, this kind of like like anti IMF revolts starts, and I have the International Monetary Fund are the people who you're borrowing money from who also destroy your economy to like you know, like pay the IMF back the money. By the time you get into like the two thousands, it's gotten less bad. Well, I guess bad again, tails Nate. But there had been this process of debt restructuring where these countries were allowed to like only pay like a small percentage of the debt because they just literally couldn't pay it because their economies have been destroyed. Or and this is another very common thing. You get a country where like a bunch of loans were taken out by like a dictator and he would just like buy plans with them and then he get deposed. But you know, the IMF and like the World Bank was still hold them liable for the loans, and it's like, well, okay, like that's like the money's gone right, Like it's in like a bunch of gold bars. This guy like drove across the border when he like fled Singer. Singer is like the last guy who league goes in for like to buy this debt and the result is this, So for example, like he buys a bunch of the debt of the Democratic Republic of the Congo and the result of this is that he turns like the entire Congoese economy into this debt servicing machine. We're like just like every like there's they're like they're they're there's they're stripping the copper wires out of the buildings in order to like fucking pay for or metaphorically. So metaphorically they are stripping the copper wires to pay this debt off. Uh, not metaphorically, they are taking food from the mouths of babies, because the way this stuff is paid for is they cut a bunch of government assistance programs and they're like, you know, they don't build fucking hospitals, they don't staff hospitals, and so like a lot, like he has killed a lot of people, and his his most famous version of this was this battle that he waged against Argentina. So in two thousand and one, there is this massive like basically like the the last twentieth century, like the last twentieth century, communist revolution happens in Argentina in two thousand and one, and they lose, but it's they they lose like pretty it like only pretty narrowly doesn't work, Like there is a there is a timeline that is not that different from this one where like like a bunch of anarchists basically have taking control of Argentina, and the result of this is that Argentina defaults on its debt. And you know, they default in this debt, so they enter this restructuring program and all of the rest of the like people who are like holding this debt are like, okay, well, in order to let the Argentina economy recover and get like some of this money back, we'll just like let like, okay, well, we'll like write off most of our debt. But Singer like looks at this and is like, oh shit, I'm just gonna buy all this debt that I know is junk and can't be repaid, and then I'm gonna go to the courts in the US and like just force Argentina to repay it. Now, this is not how debt is supposed to work. Right. Thing about debt, right, and think about like lending someone money or you know, this is what essentially what buying someone's debt is. Right. The thing about that, right is if the person can't pay you back you're supposed to, you're out of the money, right like that That's that's that's you know, this is this is the theoretical economic justification for why you can charge interest because there's risk. But what Singer figured out is that you could just use the US court system and you know the threat of the the the implicit and explicit threat of the US military to just like force people to pay you whether they have money or not. And so and this is what so, this is what he does. He's he's like the one he's the one creditor because he buys like an enormous amount of this debt and he's the one creditor who refuses to negotiate. And so he like starts running around the US trying to like steal Argentinian assets, Like he tries to have like Argentina's Central bank reserves seized. There's other like the most famous incidence, he tries to steal an Argentinian worship in order to pay down the debt. There's another one where like he tries to like he tries to steal Argentina's entire pension fund. And this causes this like series of of like lawsuits that sort of like run their way through the courts. And in twenty fourteen, one of these cases finally makes it to this reviewing court. And this is where Singer's two hundred thousand dollars Alaskan fishing trip pays off because Samuel Alito rules that Argentina has to play Singer two point four billion dollars, and eventually they do so Alito like like he's also he also has another guy who just like pays for his vacations, who's the uh I don't know if I want to say incredibly named or disturbingly named, but this guy's name is Robin Arkley, the second Wait, Robin Robin Arkley the second second God Okay, Yeah, and he's a also like a genuinely terror person, like these are these are all like you read Hitchhickers. Have you read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, So my favorite bit from that is there's a bit where like the encyclopedia from the Foundation series, like from the Future, like falls down and it falls open onto a page and someone had just made a joke about how these people are gonna be the first against the wall when the revolution comes. And the Encyclopedia for the Future drops down and they open it and it says that these two people were first against the wall when the revolution came. And that's like all of these people, these are like the worst people in the fucking world or like in the US. So this guy Arcley makes his fortune like buying distressed mortgages and then for closing on people's houses and flipping them, so he.
Speaker 2: Is seems like a valuable contributor to the detail, like I you.
Speaker 1: Know, I mean this is like this is literally like literally one of the old like crime think jokes was when the bank seizes your house, the GDP GDP goes up. Like that's literally this guy, this, this is the guy who makes the GDP go up by seizing it, by stealing your house. And so this guy takes Alito on a bunch of trips. So when when Republica like reaches out to Aledo about this, he gets so mad that she the Wall Street Journal editorial board allows him to publish a like an op ed that is just him yelling about how this article that hasn't come out yet is fake. And one of the specific things that he's really mad about is part of this article is talking about how the wine at this met at this like lodge that he's staying at that's being paid for by by the fucking mortgage slipper guy has a thousand dollars a bottle wine, and Clarience Tyer was just like, no, the wine is not was not a thousand dollars a bottle. You can check the website, and then Republica was like, well, yeah, but that's because the lodge, like the quality of the lodge was downgrade after Alito had like one of the like just just just a truly incredible meltdown that he was just allowed to have in the op ed section of the Wall Street Journal in like in response, not even in response, like before this article came out. And the other thing that we learned from this is that also apparently former Justice Antonin Scalia also was taking trips from this guy. So this is just like every conservative like justice in the last like twenty years has just been doing this. They've just been getting like flown around the world on fancy vacations by their billionaire friends. Well, I don't actually know if I actually might merely be a millionaire. I'm not toither sure, but he may might be a billionaire. I don't know.
Speaker 2: The other two definitely are wait millionaire a billionaire because those are two very difficult Okay, I I.
Speaker 1: Han let me let me, let me, let me google. Is this is this guy a billionaire? Yeah, Arkley doesn't seem to be a billionaire. He'd seems to merely be Well, no, I've seen other places that he is a billionaire. I don't know. There's some dispute at the guy there's like dispute over what's his net worth? Oh, we don't know, it's unclear. What does there's there's dispute over.
Speaker 2: It dispute disputed net.
Speaker 1: Worth, yeah, unclear. The other two guys definitely billionaires. This guy maybe a billionaire unclear. But like, literally like all of these literally all these jestices have just been like taking just like and again, any other thing I forgot to mention that I should have mentioned is that like all of these people have had cases appear before the Streme Court, hmm, curiously. And then this is another amazing thing. This is the thing that came up like really prominently when there was a case that you know, there was a case about the attempt to like overthrow the government in twenty twenty or in twenty one that like well in twenty twenty and twenty twenty one that Thomas like objectively should have recused himself from because his wife tried to overthrow the government and he's didn't. And this and this is a this is a really important thing, which is that Supreme Court justices it's like your fucking daughter like could be one of the plaintiffs in a case, and you don't have to recuse yourself. Is recusing yourself is completely voluntary, m which is not how this works for fucking anything else. Right, But again, the Supreme Court is not like it's not actually a court. It's just like a fucking it's just this like weird dictatorial tribunal that is subject to like absolutely no authority whatsoever. And Okay, So it also turns out that there's like there's like yet another layer of fuckery with this, which is that universities use Supreme Court used Supreme Court justices to solicit donations by like so, so they'll they'll have like a don invite a justice to like give a talk at the university, and they'll pay them a bunch of money, and then they'll they'll have them like go to a dinner, and then they'll advertise to all their donors like, hey, if you give us a bunch of money, you can go to this dinner with Supreme Court justice. And so a bunch of like like a bunch of people who have cases in front of the Supreme Court like use this to go get access to a bunch of Streme Court justices. So it's great. Uh, this is this is really fun. Uh Oh did I did I do the Venmo thing? No, it's not the Venmo thing. Okay, okay, here's the Veno thing. So two days after I started, like like two days ago, like from the time of writing, this will be like like this will actually be like almost exactly. Wow, It'll be like almost a week from when when this comes out. Uh. There was another thing of this that came out, which is that a bunch of lawyers had just been sending money on Venmo to one of Claren's Thomas's aids. And these okay, like the the these these are like these are not just people who have like active cases. These are like like one of the guys who venmoed h Thomas's aid is the guy who won the affirmative action case. And another one of the one of the other lawyers who ven met him is the guy who I don't know if you remember this, like like in like the last like term of the court, there was a case where the Supreme Court like fucked the EPA's ability to regulate greenhouse gases, so that lawyer also paid a bunch of money on Venmo. Clarence Thomas's aid. So this is this is the level though of corruption that we're working at, right, which is like people sending public Venmo transactions to the aids of Supreme Court justices who's about who are about to hear their cases. Uh, that's so good. Now. The reason this is happening that the right has built like just an extensive and incredibly extensive network to seize control of the judiciary. Uh. Liberals have produced no such network because they're fucking hacks and this and this is not it's not just the sort of like there's only one like liberal billionaire, Like, no, there are liberal billionaires. The actual a real problem with a liberal attempt to like take control of the judiciary is that like liberal like liberal lawyers are hacks instead of actually like trying to hold on to like judicial positions, right, and you know, to have to like move their way up through like circuit courts in order to like like seize control of like large, like increasingly large portions of of the court system, which is the Republicans did. Uh, the Democratic lawyers, they'll they'll get like like they they do the even lazier corruption, which is like they'll just they'll be a judge for like three years, and then they'll just leave the private practice because they're all just fucking greedy shits. And you know, the result of this is that all these like fucking liberal lawyers, uh, you know, they go into private practice and make a quick buck and they leave us to fucking burn a death in the smolder and keep while they spend their vacations in Bali and you know, and and again. So the only the only thing that like could conceivably slow down the Supreme Court is the fact that like, technically speaking, although it's never actually gone through, it is possible for like Congress to impeach Supreme Court justice. But the Democrats don't want to do that because.
Speaker 2: Because then the right we'll be able to impeach all of the liberals Court justice.
Speaker 1: No, it's worse than that. There the actual Biden's actual state of reason for why he didn't want to do it is because it would undermine the legitimacy of the court. And you know, and the result of this is that, like for all their they're fucking screaming about lawlessness and rising crime rates, the fucking biggest criminals in the entire goddamn country are just literally sitting in their stupid ass robes taking the biggest bribes in the history of the fucking Republic. And the Democrats are just like, well, if we do anything, it'll undermine the faith in our institutions. So I gad fuck them. But also like, we don't fucking need these people like you could, Like you could, you can fit all of these people in one submarine and we could just be fucking dumb with it.
Speaker 2: And then we get a whole bunch of new Supreme Court justices picked by Joe Biden, and they would save America. So that's why we need to vote for Joe Biden twenty twenty four. Save America. Yeah, yeah, this is thanks for the submarine. This is the submarine plot. It'll go great. We have to mandated submarine vacations for all Supreme courtousice.
Speaker 1: The submarine is now the only vehicle you're allowed to travel on Supreme cour Justice.
Speaker 2: Taxpayer funded Titanic explorations for all Supreme Court justices.
Speaker 1: We're already giving them two hundred and eighty five thousand dollars a year. It's not actually that it wouldn't We would save money if we just both salary. I put my position on this is clear. This is this is a this is a fiscally conservative position.
Speaker 2: Most of my budget can be interpreted as fiscally conservative. It's cheaper to put all the people at houses than do what we're doing now. Anyway, Well, glad we could learn about how the Supreme Court is good and just well, you know.
Speaker 1: The second thing you can learn is if you some if you one day somehow are like a semi minor Chicago politician, you now know how. You now know how to launder money.
Speaker 2: Which which does sound exciting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you never know, you never know.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you for this insightful look at at at at at nineteen seventies mystery villain Harlan Crowe who has a mansion full of Hitler paintings.
Speaker 1: This feels like.
Speaker 2: It's like the it's it's like the location of like a like of like of like an Agatha Christie like book or something. Let's all investigate the murder of Harlan Crowe. Spoilers. It was Supreme Court, it was a Supreme Court justice.
Speaker 3: It could happen here as a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool Zonemedia Dot com or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts, you can find sources for It could happen here, Updated monthly at coolzonemedia dot com slash sources. Thanks for listening.