Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Joining us now is someone who's been much beligned and has been fearless in her academics of saying, you know what, I'm associated with the dread at our word recession, but I don't see it out there. Claudia sam has nailed that call. She's chief economist at New Century As Advisors, and she joins us here this morning. Claudia, my distant memory is Jeffrey Frankel at Harvard saying, Okay, there's a jobs mandate, there's an interest rate inflation mandate, but real GDP and maybe distant nominal GDP really matter. Can a dearth of GDP shift the labor market and shift the Fed?
Speaker 2: Well? Absolutely, I mean these are all growth and employment are absolutely tied together, not necessarily quarter by quarter. And I think you know, if you're referring to the first quarter, the small decline in GDP, like there is a lesson from that.
Speaker 3: But it is not that we are falling into a recession.
Speaker 2: It's that we are facing a major cost shock with an increase in tariffs and businesses we're responding to that in consumers that cause a lot of disruption in the numbers. So that's one example where you know that first quarter GDP decliinent is giving us a sense of where we're headed. But it's more about where we're headed working through these tariffs, which eventually will have some effects on employment even if we're not seeing them today.
Speaker 1: Okay, way from then the PM recession mania, are you modeling out four percent year over year CPI? Is that in the New Century Advisor's realm of thinking?
Speaker 2: So I think that's absolutely in the realm of possibility, and certainly I feel very that we are facing slow in growth, rising on employment and faster inflation.
Speaker 3: Now magnitudes are going.
Speaker 2: To be absolutely crucial, and I think really big question for the Fed in particulars they think about their policy is the duration right If this is if we're just seeing a kind of a blip a move up in inflation, the recedes as that we adjust to the tariffs or maybe the jobs go away.
Speaker 3: But that that's like a key question that we are far from having the answers to see this.
Speaker 1: You see how she does this at the University of Michigan and they get on the X axis. She's looking at the duration. Yeah, she's looking at the lengthiness at the lengthiness of the Magnetude Claudia.
Speaker 4: Can this economy avoid recession? I mean again, I see a jobs number today, I think about Tom's theory the companies and people adapt and this economy avoid recession absolutely.
Speaker 3: I mean, we have all the ingredients of a recession.
Speaker 2: We have. We have the tariffs, we have the slid immigration, we have the federal cuts and other factors.
Speaker 3: We have massive uncertainty.
Speaker 2: Like really, if I mean this, we are pointed towards a recession, and yet we are in the very early stages. And we see sometimes of businesses to build some buffers, a big inventory built getting ahead of the tariffs.
Speaker 3: I mean, we're nobody.
Speaker 2: Wants to lay off workers, Nobody wants to cut back on their spending, right like people are trying to make adjustments. So but what needs to happen is these aggressive policies a bit and put in place these cost shocks. They have got to be dialed back and really quickly. I mean, there's some damage done already that we're going to deal with costs as this year goes on. But magnitudes matter, and avoiding the recession, and particularly the recession dynamic is when that shock it just spreads through the whole economy, and we really have got to nip this in the bed, in the bud before you have those feedback effects take cold.
Speaker 4: When you see a lot of companies again, we're probably seventy percent away through the earning cycle here, a lot of companies are, as you said, either pulling their guidance, or if they still have guidance, they're saying.
Speaker 3: We're concerned here.
Speaker 4: We've got a lot of variability around our businesses. What do you take away from some what you heard from corporate America so far.
Speaker 3: So clearly are big shocks. There's a lot of uncertainty.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: The other place I found pretty interesting reading this time was going through the Fedspage book, which has a similar kind of talking to business context, talking to nonprofits in the communities, and you just you're over and over again contingency planning, getting ready like potentially cutting ours potential but not there yet. But it is so clear that a massive amount of time and energy is being spent on this. What do we do when it hits Claudia.
Speaker 1: You've sat in the offices at the FED, folks. This is not the romance of some big fancy table in the Echos building. This is the meat and potatoes that doing PhD work at the greatest central bank in the world. And the answer is you guys like smooth curves, gradual change. We just had Jeans Soroka in of the Port of Los Angeles, flew in just to talk to John Tucker Claudia. He sees a jump condition, a discontinuous event at his port. How do what fancy people like you fold into reality? Long shortman in truckers in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: Right, it's a moment where to some extent you have to look at the models, but put them to the side. Right, there's no macroeconomic model that's going to give you the kind of discontinuities, the kind of very sharp turns that you're seeing in the data.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's why we should expect.
Speaker 2: We had this massive surge in imports that had a big effect on the composition of GDP in the first quarter. We're going to probably see a snapback because I mean, we from that shipping, those imports are going to the floor. So don't come to me and say, oh, GDP is three percent in the second quarter, all is great, like that could be under the hood telling us.
Speaker 3: We've got a big problem in.
Speaker 2: The second half of this year, so you have to, like you have to respond to those discontinuities, particularly when you can tie them back to a store.
Speaker 3: There's noise all the time that you want to look through.
Speaker 2: This isn't noise, right, Like we're responding to something big, and then that's why that outlook is important in the judgment.
Speaker 1: Claudia, with great respect for your impact than American economics. I think everybody wants to know this unfair question, but I'm going there on this strange Friday. What is your counsel to Hasset at Pennsylvania Vestent of Yale and Greer our trade representative as they counsel the president. These guys are legit academics. What should they do with this unique presidency?
Speaker 2: They need to slow it down, right I you know, I disagree with the policies they're pursuing, but I'm strong I'm very concerned about the way in which they're being pursued. This is very aggressive, this is very fast, and it can potentially cause a lot of damage.
Speaker 3: So even if you're in the spirit.
Speaker 2: Of having more industrial policy, having higher tariffs, a smaller government like there's a way.
Speaker 3: To do this that doesn't cause.
Speaker 2: Maximal damage, right, And I'm very concerned, and I think the White House and you hear some messaging from them that you know, tarifrates aren't sustainable with China and we're doing negotiations, but like we need to see some action that actually pulls back these costs before it's too late.
Speaker 1: Doctor sum Thank you so much, Claudius. I'm joins us. The New Century advised us here to summarize paul pretty buoyant report.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think so. I'm just looking at it here, and I'm looking at the wages Tom. Maybe not on an annualized basis. Wage growth still pretty solid at three point eight percent growth on an annualized basis