Speaker 1: No one has all the answers, but when we ask the right questions, we get a little closer, closer to truths, closer to each other, even closer to ourselves. I'm journalist Danielle Robe, and each week, my guests and I come together to challenge the status quo and our own ways of thinking by daring to ask what if, why not? And who says so? Come curious, dig deep, and join the conversation. It's time to question everything. There's this general piece of fitness philosophy that says you should move your body at least once a day, even if just for a few minutes. That momentum can build. Movement eventually makes us stronger, and sometimes it becomes the thing that completely re routes the direction of our lives. Today's guest built a career and a movement around that IDEA peloton instructor, ultra marathon runner, best selling author, and vice president of fitness Programming, Robin Arzon has spent years motivating millions of people to move their bodies. But before she became one of the most recognizable faces in wellness, Robin was a corporate lawyer at one of New York's top law firms. She was living a life that looked successful on paper, but it didn't feel aligned internally, and after falling in love with fitness, Robin refocused and entered her messy middle.
Speaker 2: In that too year process, let's started as a blank page started to crystallize, and ideas of what I wanted my new career to look like, or at least what I wanted to feel like in my new career.
Speaker 1: From there, her life became all about movement, not just movement as fitness, movement as.
Speaker 2: Agency, especially as women. There's this way in which we try to shape shift into the world, and I was like, I want to create a world where it shape shifts to me.
Speaker 1: And speaking of shifting, Robin had a post it note that lived on her bathroom mirror for years. It said do epic shit.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: By the time she finally peeled it off, it was crusty and faded and barely legible. But by then she didn't need it anymore because the note had done its job. Now. I had to post it on my mirror once too, four of them actually, And it was during a stretch of my life when I was acutely depressed and lonely and stuck and if you are a Day one listener of this podcast, I've talked about that time before, and if you want to hear about it, just go back into the catalog of episodes. But the post that I remember most was a quote from Oprah. It said, you can't defeat someone who knows who they are. And I wrote it because I was trying to become that kind of person. I really wanted to be unshakable. And there's something quietly profound about to post it on a mirror. The bathroom is one of the only ps that we look at ourselves with no audience, no makeup, no pretense, just our actual face looking back. You see who you are, and the post it is a reminder of who you want to become. And I think our yearnings are evidence of that. They're like little flags planted in our future selves saying come get me. And I think that most of us have versions of these little promises taped somewhere in our lives. The dream that we mentioned once at a dinner party and then never again, or the person we swore we'd stop loving, the apology we never gave, the boundary that we never got around to drawing, the thing that we said we would do when life slowed down, or maybe it's the goal we whispered to ourselves on January first. We let them yellow, and we let them curl, and we forget we ever made them. But Robin doesn't. And that's what I really wanted to understand in this conversation, not her resume, not the peloton instructor, or the ultra marathon or or the book author, but Robin, the person who actually does the thing she says she's going to do, because I think it's tempting to look at someone like her and assume that she's just wired differently than the rest of us. But she's not. She built the wiring, and the way she built it has very little to do with motivation and almost everything to do with a small, unglamorous, deeply un sexy practice of doing the thing when we really don't feel like doing it. So together we are digging into discipline and motherhood and burnout and wellness culture. Her honest take on GLP ones, We talk about why she replaced the word should with the word will, and why she says no to almost everything in order to protect her yes who. I also asked her about the cold email that changed everything for her because you know, I love a cold email. These are the kinds of conversations Robin explores on her podcast Project Swagger, which she describes as a transformation tool kit for people trying to build more intentional lives. So today with Robin, we're circling this question what happens when you stop trying to fit yourself into the world and start building a life that actually fits you. This episode is for everyone, but it's also especially for anyone with a post it or a metaphorical post it crewing on a mirror somewhere. I think maybe today's the day that we peel it down, dust it off, and see if it still has something to say. It's time to question everything with Robin Ourzo. Okay, Robin, I am personally very excited about this new podcast of yours. We're going to get into it, but before we do, I need to know about food and fuel. What did you eat this morning?
Speaker 2: What did I have this morning? Oh gosh, I was out of the house early this morning, so I had I pre packed last night, protein oatmeal, protein yogurt, dates, a protein bagel with peebee fit and cheese seed and strawberry. Yeah. That basically got me through like one PM.
Speaker 1: I'm so impressed by that and also personally invested in the amount of food you're eating because I am trying so hard to eat more.
Speaker 2: I eat like clockwork. Yeah, it's part of my full time job.
Speaker 1: So do you have anything that you eat that would make a nutritionous nervous? Or you on the plan all the time?
Speaker 2: I love really, I mean I think I have fun with food. I don't go out to eat very often. I make ninety percent of my meals, so like, if I'm out and I want to eat whatever I want, I eat whatever I want. But I create kind of like processes around that. So my male prep is actually priority, and I really enjoy cooking for my family. So yeah, I say to my kids there are sometimes foods and all the time foods, and most of the time I'm eating all the time food.
Speaker 1: I love that. Will you operate in a world where food is often talked about as fuel? But I know that you come from a Puerto Rican and Cuban household, and you know a lot of times in those beautiful cultures, food is joy and celebration. How do you balance the idea of food as fuel versus food for pleasure.
Speaker 2: I don't think we have to choose. I don't choose. I mean, I celebrate holidays with my family, and most of the time I'm able to replace ingredients or swap ingredients with the same flavors that I grew up with that are joyful and connecting. And you know to the extent that it's not that everything on our dish on every holiday needs to be like focused on macros and making you a better athlete. That's not realistic. But I think that I don't think. I don't think we have to choose.
Speaker 1: I agree with you. So I watched Suits religiously. Did you happen to watch that show? By any chance?
Speaker 2: I did the first few seasons. My husband was obsessed, and he's even watched the sequel, like the La One.
Speaker 1: Oh see that the sequel. I don't know if I loved the sequel, So he must really love that show to.
Speaker 2: Watch you really love it. It's like his comfort show. It's like My Sex and the City.
Speaker 1: I bring it up only to say that I was reading that you were an attorney. You even passed the bar. You are the type of person that is so good at everything you do. Were you a good attorney. I was.
Speaker 2: I was excellent. I practiced for eight years at one of the top law firms in New York.
Speaker 1: So I think there's a version of your life where you stayed and were an attorney and were in the real life suits, where you made partner and you did that whole thing. What was the moment that you knew that that version wasn't good to be you?
Speaker 2: I started to fall in love so much with running and lifting that it became evident to me that I had to make a different plan.
Speaker 1: Can you expand on that, because like, I love running and lifting and I'm not having that inner feeling like I got to change career paths.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a really fair question. I think I was also discovering the art of storytelling and connected with platforms that storytell on a larger scale. And I had this instinct that I was able to scale storytelling through movement, and that was kind of when Peloton came into the picture.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes a lot of sense. Was there an in between period for you where you decided to leave law but before Peloton existed, or you just made the leap right away.
Speaker 2: I would say it was probably a two year process.
Speaker 1: So tell me about that two year period. And I asked, because is the women that listen to this show are usually very career oriented, and I think that sort of messy middle as we've colloquially branded it, is just such an interesting time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I it was something that I really unpacked for myself through journaling, through setting a ten minute calendar appointment a day where I forced myself to like look at a blank page or look at a blank email screen and craft something in that moment. So that was really kind of like a I guess, like a morning pages essentially for myself. And that in that two year process, what started as a blank page started to crystallize and ideas of what I wanted my new career to look like, or at least what I wanted to feel like in my new career. And it was really messy and it felt directionless a lot of days, but I was able to through running, through meditation, through journaling, really I did an audit of my life like I did and I have I infused all of these questions in this framework in my empowerment journal Welcome Hustler. That was it was really unpacking my financial health, my physical health, my spiritual health, and I answer these questions to kind of look at, Okay, what can I leverage and what do I have to work on? And that really helped me at least create some type of framework around something that felt like it was just filled with question marks.
Speaker 1: How'd you figure out the right questions to ask yourself?
Speaker 2: A lot of them came to me on runs I think. I mean, obviously the name of this podcast right like it's there are such an art to asking the right questions. A lot of it in the beginning centered around how I wanted to feel in my new working role, and it was a lot of that for me was colored with freedom, empowerment, an ability to use my voice in the way that wasn't like there's this I think, especially as women, there's this way in which we try to shape shift into the world, and I was like, I want to create a world where it shape shifts to me. So it was a lot of that.
Speaker 1: Did you feel that at the law form, Yeah, for sure, I felt like I had to.
Speaker 2: There was a lot of code switching. It felt like I had to and you know, we do have to adapt to environments, especially in corporate culture. I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing. But I felt like I was boxed in and I thought I and I knew I have feeling that I could serve the values that I still that brought me into law and that I still really value, such as community and raising up women and and and you know, underrepresented communities. But I know, I just do it with a very different toolkit. And that became that risk of finding of a world building, so to speak, became more important to me than the security.
Speaker 1: I know that you're a big affirmations person. You have a lot of these catchphrases that people all over the world have used as inspiration. Now, is there one that you were using during that time to sort of get yourself to a place where you could fully believe in the world that you were building.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Actually I read it in a post it note and it sat on my bathroom mirror for years, and it was totally crusty. By the time. I was just like, girl, I'll get rid of this.
Speaker 1: Oh sit.
Speaker 2: It said do epic shit, And that was like, that's the quality that everything had to have during that time. It had to feel epic, It had to feel expansive, it had to feel like even the smaller moments had to feel expansive, and I think expansion and freedom was kind of the bumper sticker that I would feel that I put on the feeling of that time, and that became my north star. And now since then I've adapted that right like I think it's important for our north stars to be able to change and give ourselves permission to change our minds and change the quality of the feeling. But that was definitely the vibe.
Speaker 1: Then what does the post it say?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: I'm so curious.
Speaker 2: Now it is more about I would say, I would link to I still could ask myself the question why not me? Often? That keeps me in a creative space, that keeps me in a gold space. But I would say, now I link that to what does a yes look like? Because I say no to more things than I say yes to, And if I'm saying yes, it's probably going to take me away from my family, so it needs to be the right yes.
Speaker 1: I've actually I don't have a family yet, and I have been pretending to have one when I make decisions because I find it's the only way that I can be discerning. So I love that you that you said that you have this almost athletic relationship. It seems too decision making, like you commit, you train, you execute, you repeat, and you It seems from the outside you really don't have to do anything. How do you orient your days when things are still a fire drill? Because I know you're a peloton, but you're also doing so many other things as granular as you can get. I'm so curious about how you schedule your life.
Speaker 2: I mean, I schedule it in like fifteen minute increments. I'm really ruthless with very long meetings. I very rarely will commit to a sixty minute anything, especially without seeing an agenda beforehand. I refuse to be in a meeting where you're just going to read me a deck. Zero chance I will be there. I know how to read. So I think it is getting hopefully to a place in our careers where we can edit those kind of time wasters, or at least contribute to the conversation where the agendas are robust and keeping the needle moving. I have an amazing team. I don't do it all myself. I delegate. One of my superpowers is decisiveness. I make a decision and we go. I don't spin my wheels for hours and hours. I don't text fifty friends about it. I don't google and podcasts and read seventy five books. I go and I figure it out. And sometimes I'm like, oh, I shouldn't have walked through that door. Let me walk back out and walk through this door. And it's okay. It's okay to make mistakes, it's okay to change your mind. I am again ruthless with my no to protect my yes. I think if it's not something I want to do that day, I'm probably not going to want to do it in three weeks or three months, so it's just a no, thank you. And that applies to social engagements as well.
Speaker 1: I really like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you know, you get the invite and you're like, I know I should think that's cool, but I really don't want to do it even today or tomorrow. You're gonna be just as tired in three months probably, so it's like it's just probably a no, not right now, no thanks.
Speaker 3: I know there are very cool opportunities or they're really meaningful opportunities, or it's the charity event, or it's that you know, and it's like stuff that you're like, I know I should, but we are we should ourselves out of optimization.
Speaker 1: H wow, we should ourselves out of optimization? When did you figure that out? Robin?
Speaker 2: The should detox is something that I applied to myself when I was in that period moving from law to wellness. And you replaced should with will and a reason. So instead of like I should work out, I will because my kids deserve me fully energized. I will work out because I'm starting a business and I need to be in my best physical health. So that has very different energy and it provides specificity that leads to action, and like, I'm all about action. I think you know the analogy that I am a corporate athlete. I run businesses and I treat my body and my home like a business. And I think that there's a really they're really really complimentary skill sets. And most of the leaders, if not all of them that I admire, are also athletes.
Speaker 1: What do you think the dedication of an athlete to their body, like, how does that transfer over? There's all these statistics that I can imagine you know about female CEOs previously being athletes, specifically being on team athletics. If you had to describe what that actually is internally, what is it.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think we are self talk ninjas. You have an ability to talk to yourself when it's hard and get you out of that place. Doing something when you don't feel like it is one of the most important skills we will ever develop. Like most of the time, you're not going to feel like it, and guess what, like nobody cares, like keep going. And I don't say that to be harsh, but it's like, babe, let's go. Like you're looking for a pity party. It ain't here.
Speaker 1: It's not.
Speaker 2: H And I do believe that that athletics teaches you to ask for what you need. I think that that's also evolving, right, So it's not just like run yourself into the ground and who cares about feelings? But it is taking an expansive view of like let me touch base. Like I am in tune with my emotions and my body twenty four hours a day, and I know when the needle's moving in the wrong direction and I'm like, oh, I was short of my kids, or I'm in right now, or I'm feeling like you know that anxiety creep up. It's like that awareness. I actually think athletes are hyper attuned to and now it's about developing the skill set of like, Okay, where do I go from there? Like is it a therapy session, is it breath work? Is it like going to sleep an hour earlier? You know, these are little things that we can that we can pull on that lever and know, you know, we've got a toolkit that will support our health physically and mentally.
Speaker 1: Robin, how are you giving your children that mindset and honoring their feelings at the same time, because like gen Z does not want to do things that they don't want to do. And I know I'm I'm I'm making big broad strokes, but I'm so curious how you're honoring your children's feelings and giving them that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's really interesting. I mean I think our literacy around EQ and are around our even our ability to like talk about feelings is amazing. Like I wish I had that toolkit as a kid. So I think it is just that it's literally literacy around like naming feelings, understanding, like naming for them. Ooh, that's frustration, Ooh that's jealousy, like this is and then then as they have more vocabulary, they're gonna be like actually it's this not that because I have very young kids that they're five and two, and it's an interesting mix in my household of like the gentle parenting of like, oh okay, I honor that you're feeling like that way, but two things can be true and like that might make you very frustrated that it's time to go to school, but it's school, and that's it this whole like not doing things when you don't feel like it, Like good luck to that generation, because that's not how the world runs period. Like life will be hard and we have to have the resilience in the capacity to hold space for our feelings. But sometimes our feelings are liars and what is true is the ability to get up again and do something about it. I do admire the ability to say, like I need space right now, like I need to distance myself from something that is harmful for me. Like I think that is a very admirable quality. But you can't live in that place. You can't live in that cave, you can't live on the bedrock TikTok world, Like that's just not reality. So unless you're dropping back in to anchor yourself in something that is momentum filled, I just don't have any respect for it.
Speaker 1: I really fully agree Robin, and I think it's actually an unpopular opinion that we both hold. But I'm with you. One of my favorite stories that you tell about Peloton is that you started with a cold email when I tell you some of the best things of my life started with a cold email. Do you remember what you wrote before you hits end?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it was definitely describing my vision, my excitement for the company. You know, I was teaching for a local spin studio and square in New York City at the time, to like at max twenty people at a time, and I was just so excited the idea of scaling movement into people's homes. And yeah, I didn't even contemplate, you know, it was literally just thinking, oh wow, like this could be in somebody's house across the country. How amazing. So it was enthusiasm and also you know, a little pitch on like why I'm that girl, like you ain't good to find me anywhere else, so let's get me in there so I can show you what I got. So I basically pitched like, just let me show you an audition. Does I have it? And that was really a bold statement, because I was probably only teaching spin for like a year at that point, and I don't even know if I had it. If I saw my audition tape, I would probably crawl under the table, like I would just wither away and die. It was probably terrible. But I did have the passion and the excitement, and I did see the vision of the company, so that I think went a long way. Yeah, I guess they believed in my enthusiasm. I would say, I.
Speaker 1: Think it's very cool to hear that you just shot your shot and ended up now as vice president of fitness programming, head instructor. You've obviously, like you said, you built an entire world based on you, based on Robin. Now you have a whole podcast. I'm so curious as to why you wanted to dive into the podcast world.
Speaker 2: It felt like a natural extension to finding the aperture of how I can connect with folks. So it started with my masterclass, and then it moved into my newsletter for Swagger Society, and then my husband and I worked together we created Swagger Society so I could go deeper with some of these questions around habit formation and self talk and life optimization. And being that corporate athlete that we were just discussing. And so Project Swagger came about as an amazing partnership with Vox Media. They produce some of my favorite podcasts like Scott Galloway and here a Square Sure, And that became the right partnership because I knew that it would be produced in a way that fit into my life. Again, like with like proper delegation and choosing the right partners and Project Swagger is really an efficiency play as well as a mindset and optimization play. In thirty minutes or less, I'm giving people my hot take on a specific wellness or lifestyle topic and then a call to action as well as a toolkit to do something about that. So these aren't just ephemeral or esoteric things that we're wrestling with. It's like this, I consider that every single episode we're adding a tool to the toolkit, and not everybody is going to use that same tool in the same exact way. But I think you know, if you listen to a year's worth of episodes, you're gonna have forty eight tools in your toolkit, and you never know when you're gonna have to dig back into self talk or taking creatine or you know, thinking about aging and lunch and of course, like movement is going to be a part of the conversation, but we're going much broader than that. This is not a fitness podcast. This is me really stepping into the intersection of of wellness, of business, of entrepreneurship, of motherhood. And I think a lot of folks are multi hyphen it in that way. So this is really Project Swagger is a podcast for the multi hyphen it houseler.
Speaker 1: I love that you've optimized podcasting, even like you really, you really did it. Do you pick these topics based on things that you are personally curious about? Do you base them on what's trending? Like how are you picking what you're covering?
Speaker 2: It's both interest. I'm not chasing trends for sure not. It's both interest and the listener. The viewer is actually my co host, so I haven't I have a hotline one eight seven seven all Swag and people call in. So it's a classic like nineties call in show vibe. And I want to be useful. I want to be useful to the community, and you know, for folks who follow me on social media or at peloton. There isn't that innate feedback loop built in, and so this is a way to do that, a small way, but a consistent way to do that with the community.
Speaker 1: So cool? Are you still doing marathons and ultra marathons?
Speaker 2: I am so. I have been in my high rocks era the past few years. I'm gonna I'm stilf picking picking up my race calendar this year, but yeah, a marathon might be might be on the calendar this year.
Speaker 1: That's so cool. I was reading about ultra marathons because I didn't know a lot about them. And you run through mountains in the dark. Have you has your body ever bonked like you? Has your body ever said no? And your mind is the part of you that had to push you through these races or you had been training for so long that you were physically equipped.
Speaker 2: Definitely, for sure the former, I mean you definitely you need the mental game is so key. Obviously, you need to prepare yourself physically for something like running for a whole twenty four hours straight or something like that, which I did do for one hundred miler, but it's it is predominantly mental. I haven't done an ultra since having kids, in part because the training takes you away for many, many hours a week. It's much more similar to like iron Man training, where you're training upwards of you know, over twenty hours a week maybe some weeks, and that's just like an average as an average athlete, not even.
Speaker 1: Like the pros.
Speaker 2: They obviously do much more. But but marathons, I think I can get back too soon. And it's it is. I think endurance athletes just or perennially ask them asking themselves the question like, but what if I can? And I think that answer lives on the race course.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like after all these years of training at this level that your body tells you things that you wish you would have known at twenty five.
Speaker 2: I am so much more in tune with my body than I was in my twenties. It's like, obviously, our bodies change and adapt you know, our pace changes, our muscle mass changes, you know, all these things. But the beauty is that we're adaptable. And the wisdom that somebody has racing in their thirties, forties, fifties and beyond is so much more, is so much richer, and I think that that makes us much stronger athletes because we can listen to ourselves, we are aware of our feelings. We know, you know, we have experiences in our back pocket when we have become more resilient, and that is a beautiful thing. It's an advantage as an athlete.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. I think we're at this really interesting place in culture in terms of beauty standards. And I'm so curious how you see the culture of fitness and wellness changing, giving the rise of GLP ones and some of the trends. I think, like nineties thin is in our faces again, although I also see like the sculpted body in how do you navigate it? Robin, Yeah, I feel I.
Speaker 2: Mean, ultimately want I want to contribute to people feeling at home in their bodies, and I think for some folks that's going to be you know, taking GLP ones. I think overall, I do worry that there isn't going to be an honest enough conversation around who is who's body type is being crafted and helped and aided by medicine. And I don't want there to be a perception or misperception, especially for young girls like my daughter, to think like, oh, my physical body. However it's supposed to be is or isn't okay? And I need these tools because again it's a tool that an adult should use with the advice under the you know, under medical supervision. But then that doesn't necessarily inform the body image piece. We're just inundated with videos and images and how does that make us feel at home in our bodies or not at home in our bodies? So that is my biggest kind of question mark. It is not a judgment call on like what people adults specifically do with their bodies. But I do hope we're having honest conversations and empowered conversations around it from a point of access choice and then bridging to a lifestyle choice that hopefully is empowering and uplifting for everybody.
Speaker 1: From a muscle standpoint, is it true that they like the glps sort of deteriorate your muscle if you're not really taking creatine and working at it.
Speaker 2: Overall, you're reducing your caloric intake. But when your body is reacting to weight loss, it doesn't say like, okay, you can't be like.
Speaker 3: I want two percent on my left arm, three percent on my right arm.
Speaker 2: You know, ten percent on my belly is just going to be like you know, it's generally speaking that where people lose weight is going to be super individualized, and muscle mass is going to be a part of that. So strength training and eating a protein focused diet is going to be critical for folks who are on peptides like glp ones.
Speaker 1: It's changed some of my family members' lives, and also I have a lot of friends on them who don't need them, and so I was just so curious about where you stood and how you felt about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think it's helpful to like finger wag because I think there are so many examples in both. I mean, there's a whole range of ways that science in general is and medical advancements are going to impact our lives, and I think it's only going to accelerate in the last next few decades, predominantly for the better. But I think the more curious we are rather than judgmental, the better will be because ultimately we want advancements, we want access to more things that are going to keep us here robustly and for longer. But we do have to also understand what is the impact of that and what images are being served up as optimal as beauty as vitality and in the same discernment that we have to look at like an AI concocted image or just be more literate consumers and more literate humans to be like are my eyes playing tricks on me? And like what story is going to be around that? I think that that has a lot of There are a lot of aspects to that conversation that we have to become more adept at, which kind of.
Speaker 1: Speaks to your motivational catch phrases, because a lot of times I think you're trying to change the stories that we're telling ourselves by using these phrases. There was a lot of chatter online that you were going to be a real housewife of New York with one of those phrases, and I was like, oh my god. First of all, the phrase I get that. Was that ever a real consideration for you? Or was that just rumors online?
Speaker 2: Those were just rumors. I can confirm that was never a thing.
Speaker 1: I was reading that one of the mantras you use a lot, as I am, and I'm so curious how that feels motivating for you?
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 1: What's the power in those words?
Speaker 2: You can always complete that sentence with presence, I can always meet myself where my feet are and where I want to take my energy, because sometimes I'm needing to say I am and root down, and sometimes I need to say I am and hype up, and sometimes I am is the identity that I'm trying on for size, Like that helps for me dismantle imposter syndrome, because sometimes you just have to try something on right, like you're just like I'm trying on this blazer, I'm trying on this these running shorts. You know, you just have to try on for size as an identity, and that that phrase helps me.
Speaker 1: I've never thought about that, Robin. I really like that, especially like you're a person who loves questions, and I think like when you're questioning where you are and if you're supposed to if the path is right for you, it's actually very an easy way to question yourself like does this fit m hm? That's very like, does it.
Speaker 2: Like is it palatable inside?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Does this feel right? That's really cool? Do you ever like, do you ever want to kind of cohost through? Are there seasons where you're not in a growth mindset? Or are you truly just always at that at that level?
Speaker 2: I think I might be entering one. So the other day I saw Adam Grant, who's an amazing author and podcaster and educator, and he's just so brilliant and he is constantly writing more books and creating more projects. And I asked him, like, do you ever I just released a cookbook. It's a hustle. I just launched Project Swagger, And now I'm in a place where, like twenty twenty five for me was a building year, twenty twenty six was releasing a lot of the things I was building, and the latter part of twenty two twenty six, I think I'm just going to go back to basics a little bit. And I asked Adam Grant about that, and I was like, I feel like I'm almost having a creativity hangover where you really so much energy goes into this big thing and you almost feel like like a mourning or something. You're like, oh, but you're so used to that dopamine hit. You're so used to that adrenaline. And I obviously love both, but I also think I don't want to create from a place of a scarcity mindset. And I think when we create, like, okay, I got to I got to make the next thing. I got to write the next book, I could have got to create the next product because that just was expected to me. I don't think that's the type of energy that actually breeds success. So I am going to take his advice, which was I go back to doing things that are playful and joyful and like watch movies and go to art and go see shows that just I think are cool, like I admire, like I want to go see Harry Style perform and just marvel at like, damn, this is somebody doing amazing, you know what I mean, Like just go see go back to Broadway shows like Doodle in my notebook, you know, and allow myself to just be look at the vantage point from what I've built.
Speaker 1: Out of all of the impressive people that you have been in contact with, that you have coached, is there somebody that stands out for you? Because and I asked, because you mentioned Adam Grant and it's like, yeah, that's a great person to get advice from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, right, Like he's incredible. Yes, let's see, I would say. You know, they say like say like never meet your heroes. I haven't found that to be the case. I have found people to be incredibly gracious and curious and maybe it's just you know, I got lucky, but you know, I'll share. Like I remember when I when I was in that period leading law, I was at the London Olympic Games and I met really briefly Alison Felix and she let me ask for questions for my tumbler. Like it was you know, she's getting like, yeah, the biggest interviews in the world, and she's like, let me just talk to this young girl, and so cool. She was so gracious. And then now since like Alison has become a friend and she's you know, wrote a blurb for my book, and it's just amazing where life is going to take you. And I think you never know what your timeline is supposed to be, Like you don't know where the seeds you plant with the right energy, you don't know when they're going to sprout. And I am so grateful that now I get to meet people that I'm just like, oh my gosh, I would have just dreamed you were on my vision board. And now like I know you, but I do believe that anything's possible. I really do.
Speaker 1: You're a big vision boarder. I heard does everything go on the vision board and does everything get done?
Speaker 2: Not every thing, not always of the timeline that I expect, Right, So there are things in my vision boards, a lot of things. A lot of the things do get done. I will say, like it is a pretty good hit record, but it's not like one plus you know one plus one equals too. It's it's more so getting me directional clarity. And I usually have quadrants that relate to like that year or a season, So there might be like a business quadrant. Back before I had kids, there was like a family or fertility quadrant. So sometimes they're very very personal, and then lately they've been much more business oriented, but they provide clarity. So when I do get that email of like an offer, I'm like, is this in the world that like I thought about six months ago? And sometimes you have you have to leave room for unexpected miracles, right, So it's not like, oh, this doesn't fit, no, but I do. It does help me kind of tune into what a guess looks like.
Speaker 1: How much time are you carving out for self growth, self development, thoughtfulness about your goals, like are you checking back in every month or what does that look like for you?
Speaker 2: I do check into the vision board, I would say probably, Like I have strategy sessions with my team once a quarter, and so usually leading up to those strategy sessions, I'm like, all right, let me check in, like what what are what do we where's my head at? But I give myself time to be bored every single week, like no air, no air, no headphones, no no zoom call, Like I'm literally just walking around the streets of New York City thinking like a few times a week.
Speaker 1: Hmm.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I would say probably for like two hours a week. I'm literally just thinking.
Speaker 1: I think that's so cool, Robin, because most people would say, like they, including myself, make excuses that like people have kids or people are busy, and to carve that time out to be bored, so to speak, is so awesome.
Speaker 2: Well it is functional, right, So it's more so like where can you fold it into an existing commute? Where can you fold it into like the existing plane ride? Like I do it in my walk to and from my training sessions, and not every day, not every time off, I mean a lot of times it's like, oh I got to have a flash meanting with my team or whatever. So like I'm still practical about it. But I would say I prioritize it, like it like if I have to choose, or if I'm just more comforted by the idea of like, let me just a love listening to podcasts obviously, but if I feel like I'm kind of getting into the well like creatively, I really I protect that time and I'm like, listen, just give yourself twenty minutes to like not listen to anybody else ideas, And when is your voice going to be the loudest voice again? And if I feel like my own inner monologue is a little too low, I find it's most helpful to amplify it by a movement and b quote unquote bored time.
Speaker 1: That is really beautifully said. If my inner monologue is too low, I really like that. Very cool. You've already reinvented yourself multiple times. I'm curious looking towards the future, what do you feel like this next chapter holds for you?
Speaker 2: I want to create a really joyful continue to have a joyful existence with my family. I think, you know, if seeing the world through my kid's eyes is a real privilege. But I became more ambitious since becoming a mother, not less so and I felt a bigger responsibility to contribute to a world that like they're like, yeah, like my mom is a baddie, Like he built incredible shit. And that now just means that I have to be way more intentional with the things that are going to take my time. But I'm not less ambitious. I'm just more intentional and present. I think widening the aperture into lifestyle, into beauty. I consider a lot of the ways that a lot of the industries that make money on women feeling that about themselves, and I want to rip them down beauty, you know, ways in which we can you know, feel really great about living in our homes and being at peace with our families. Like I think that there's a modern spin on some of.
Speaker 4: Those paradigms, and whether it's from a product perspective, a licensing perspective, or creating whole cloth businesses in the unscripted space in like movies and TV production.
Speaker 2: My husband and I have a production company called Swagger Studios, so we're looking at projects to partner with in green light and so they're a lot of ways that storytelling, both in between our ears and in our communities is ripe for adaptation.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. You are in a world where you are constantly the motivator. Like even people like people interviewing you are looking for motivation. People that come to your classes are looking for motivation. And I kept thinking, where does that leave room for you to be uncertain or not on What has it been like to be the force for so many people?
Speaker 2: I mean, I it gives my life so much meaning. I yeah, it's an immense privilege. I also take my recovery and my ability to shut it all down really seriously. You know, like I go to bed early. I'm usually in bed by nine. I am an introvert. I'm an extroverted introvert. So I gets my energy back through silence and through really contemplative kind of solo time. And with two young kids, that's not often possible in the same way that I would love, but it definitely. I'm self aware enough to know where I need to kind of plug back in or how I plug back into you know, the energy voltage, so to speak. And it really is the basics. It's like fueling intentionally sleeping well and crafting social engagements that make me feel connected to community but don't feel like they're draining on my energy. So it's often not going to be like a huge I'm not going to usually go to like a cocktail party. I'd rather like have a dinner with girlfriends kind of thing. Or my husband and I will often like throw party, like a big party with our friends and everyone. I know every single person in that room deeply, but in a three hour time period, like I see them all in one shot, but we'll take the party planning on to like make sure that that creation is happening. And so I think it's knowing yourself. I think that's the beauty of being thirties, forties, fifties, sixties and beyond, because it's like you are just cutting down the noise, baby, and you're not doing the thing just to keep up with the Joneses, like because what the Joneses are doing might not be your bag. So I like don't pay attention to any of that. And even with social media, I completely delete apps like for weeks and weeks at a time, and I work with my team to craft what's going up, but I'm not the one actually engaging with a lot of that because I have to take digital detoxes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you were looking for a husband or a partner. Were you really intentionable intentional about finding a doer also or do you like being in charge?
Speaker 2: Oh? It was like a non negotiable that it needed to be a fully formed man. I was like, I'm not like, he needs to be grown as hell and have his own stuff. I think it really takes the right person to step into a world that is so public facing. And he I mean so much so that we work together. He's my manager, and he has his own businesses, he has his own things which he needs, right. It can't be all about like all about me, but we are very very intentional about like you got to clean up your side of the street, like do your own work, and then that's going to give you so much more capacity to like do more for others. And we even in a marriage, like it's like I need this right now, I need to move, you know what I mean. And then it's usually that community using our communications to like build bridges for the other person so they can get to that place where they can work on themselves.
Speaker 1: It's cool to hear it seems like you guys have a really nice ying and Yang.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he definitely balances me out. We joke about how our skill sets are very, very complimentary.
Speaker 1: I have some rapid fire questions for you before you leave. I heard that you were quite the deadlifter if you had to, could you deadlift a car?
Speaker 2: A deadlift a car? Maybe? Like how much is a car away? Uh No, I don't know. I mean I would have to see how much a car weighs. Maybe one of those small European cars, you know, like those tiny little ones that you see in Italy. I think I could deadlift that.
Speaker 1: Definitely.
Speaker 2: A few mopeds I can probably get a few mopeds up.
Speaker 1: Yes, what is your favorite protein powder? Oh?
Speaker 2: That's really good question. Lately, I really like Rise three eleven. It's kind of an obscure one. But this trainer, Jjalhol's trainer, Jason started the company, Jason Walsh. I think his name is Rise three eleven is a really good one.
Speaker 1: Cool. Jason used to be my trainer.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, what's the first thing you do after crossing the finish line?
Speaker 2: Usually look for my kids and look for some type of potato chip. I love potato chips or French fries.
Speaker 1: That's so much better than beer. I love that. Okay, A wellness trend that is worth the.
Speaker 2: Hype, strength training and creatine.
Speaker 1: One that's not worth the hype.
Speaker 2: One that's not worth the hype. You know, I would say people are trying to major in the minors when they're so focused on what light therapy and what cold prunge and what and it's like those things are I love biohacking, but if you're focused on that rather than like eating vegetables, drinking water, getting your protein, and moving your body six days a week, then you're having the wrong conversation.
Speaker 1: Well said, I know you're a big Beyonce fan. If you could describe this era of your life as one of her albums, what era are you in right now?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I love this question. I would say, you know, I think it's actually Cowboy Carter because for me, Cowboy Carter was yes, And so this is why, because for me, Cowboy is the most self assured I had seen Beyonce, and it was in such an unexpected thing, right, It's like Beyonce's doing country, so you'd think it be, but it felt it was so grounded, and it was so grounded in classics. You know, she don't collapse with Dolly and Willie Nelson and putting her own spin on things, and I think that is a maturity that I have also reached that I think I can go into industries that maybe i'd be unexpected, like cooking, and be like, right, I'm still gonna hold space though, because I have a point of view and like this is just how I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 1: So awesome, Robin, I love that and also unexpected answer from you.
Speaker 2: Very cool.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's something that every woman should try once?
Speaker 2: A really amazing solo trip. I think a solo even day. I've had amazing experiences where I've just like booked a hotel room for thirty six hours and been like I'm off and it's kind of scary ray Like sometimes it's like you're going to eat by yourself, where it's like what do you do with your hands? Like when you're at you know, it's like little things that just remind us like we can still take adventures and we don't need anybody else to give them to us.
Speaker 1: So good. If I'm giving you a plane ticket right now, where are you going?
Speaker 2: I would go back to the Maldives. I haven't been there since our honeymoon and my Apple watch is still partly on Malay time because I said to my husband, I was like, listen, baby, I am manifesting going back to this private island, like you bet your butt. And so there's just one little tether to Malay, you know, to the other side of the world. So hopefully I get to go back there.
Speaker 1: Put it on the vision board exactly, exactly. Okay, So I always do a question from this card game question everything, and because we're virtual, you tell me when to stop and I'll pause, suck. Okay. What's something most people love but you can't stand?
Speaker 2: Coffee?
Speaker 1: Robin?
Speaker 2: What I think coffee is trash.
Speaker 1: For us health wise or just taste wise for.
Speaker 2: Me individually taste. I don't have any clear I don't have any opinions on the coffee industry or whether somebody should drink coffee or not. I just think personally, I don't like it.
Speaker 1: Okay, good.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: My last thing for you is I'm gonna do a wellness smash your pass. So these are health and wellness trends. Smash your pass, Protein in everything, smash red light therapy.
Speaker 2: I'm going to pass run clubs, smash community is great, Aura rings or other wearables smash as long as you're still the loudest voice in the room, pilate.
Speaker 1: Smash. Okay, and the last one I'm about to say is something that our producer shared. I did not know what these were, so apparently fartwalks are a big thing right now. It's going on walks after eating to improve your digestion.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think it needs a rebrands, but I would say smash because I do support walking after eating. It's great for blood sugar as well.
Speaker 1: I can't believe the last thing I said to you in our interview is fartwalks. I have to come up with something else. Robin, you are so much fun. Thank you for your time today. And I'm an avid listener to the pod, so keep it going.
Speaker 2: Thank you. This was so fun.
Speaker 1: Thanks Robin. Okay, you know what time it is. Today's a good day. To have a good day. I'll see you next week.
Speaker 2: The same character Este the sestet s