Speaker 1: Kabooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the Old Republic, a soul fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers.
Speaker 1: In the penthouse.
Speaker 2: Wow to clearing House of hot takes, break free for something Special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now.
Speaker 1: In the air everywhere The Fifth Hour with Me, Ben Maher and Danny G Radio. He joins us here on this Sunday, the sixteenth day of February, Fresh Pod every Day. Are some people, Danny G accuse us of recording these podcasts on Thursday or Friday and not actually doing them every single day, which, as you know, is bullshoy.
Speaker 3: Danny, You've done some podcast like two weeks in advance.
Speaker 1: That's a lie in fact, to prove, to verify to that schmuck Terry in England, that dope okay, that this is a legitimate podcast and not something that was done days ago. We are here early at an ungodly hour on Sunday here to do this podcast. And I wanted to point out that while I did not watch it live last night because I actually have a life. I did see the clips of the Shenanigans at the All Star Game in San Francisco on All Star Saturday Night, when to my knowledge, this is the first known cheating scandal at the All Star Saturday Night fast. I mean, I did famously have the story of the dunk contest that was already given out before it was over to Blake Griffin of the People's Team years ago.
Speaker 4: But this is next level.
Speaker 1: A former Clipper, part of the Lob City vintage of the Clippers, Chris Paul and Victim when by Yama, these two dopes ended up getting disqualified for cheating at the skills coop. But like I get, like, what are you doing, Danny.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to wrap my head around this.
Speaker 1: They were trying to save time in the skills challenge, and so instead of actually attempting to shoot the ball, they just tossed.
Speaker 4: It blindly to the rim.
Speaker 1: And it's like this weird fugacy thing where you had to shoot three pointers from the wing, you had to shoot a jumper from the elbow, and there's like a there was like a spinning windmill thing, like a miniature golf course, and they just they didn't bother with that because they just trying to get through the thing.
Speaker 4: I guess to save time. But I mean it's the hood spot.
Speaker 1: That's the word I will use, Danny, that these guys stop, well, let me just lf around and nobody cares.
Speaker 4: I just want to win this thing. I'm like God at his next level. And the integrity I know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, All Star Weekend for the NBA had hundreds of millions of viewers.
Speaker 4: I'm sure. Yeah, no, this is one of those things. Man.
Speaker 1: I don't know about you, Danny, but I used to on Saturday. I love the pomp and circumstance of the three point contest and really what sold me originally was the dunk contest, and I really I was all about it. These are great events, This is wonderful and how great is it?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 1: The NBA and I talked about this on yesterday's podcast. They they had meetings with the players to try to convince them to actually take it seriously, to take their job seriously, because they futs around so much at the All Star break that like it's kind of important for the business to have the All Star Weekend and they get a cheating scandal in the main event. Well not, it was not even the main event to me. The three point contest, which I guess Tyler Hero won. I saw some clips of that. He won.
Speaker 4: People were hoping that Damian Lillard would win, and he did not.
Speaker 1: I did not get the three pete so much like Kansas City, he came up blamed. But the dunk contest, I got nothing against Mac McClung.
Speaker 4: But that's embarrassing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you do, racist, I come on, And plus they're saying it. People were sending me. I got two people. I say people too, that's more than one person's people. Two people sent me the link to the dunk and he jumped over a car, and They're like, it's an historic dunk, And I'm like, didn't Blake Griffin do the same thing in a Kia commercial back in the day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Blake Griffin cheated. That was the first All Star weekend scandal back in the day. Well, that was not a legitimate leap over a car when Griffin did it. It took a different white guy in McClung to do it the right way.
Speaker 1: He didn't did the same thing. What are you talking about?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Not the same dunk. Go back and look at Blake Griffin's dunk. It was over the front of the hood, not over the car. I say, basic bull crap.
Speaker 1: The problem is this, you had You're the NBA All Star Game. You had a G League player G League. The raining MVP of the G League won your dun coin.
Speaker 3: Well, the best twenty twenty four player drafted is Brownie James, and you know he's a G League guy, so come on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, three consecutive slam dunk contest wins for Mac McClung and he can't get like.
Speaker 4: Actual NBA minutes there.
Speaker 1: I mean, god, oh man, oh I did see he donated the car he used to to a home in Virginia's I don't know whatever.
Speaker 3: One big takeaway, Kia has come a long way when Blake Griffin did it, that car was ugly and Carl McClung jumped over legitimately looked a lot nicer, sweeter riot.
Speaker 4: You're looking to go buy a car something you were. Yeah, I still think k is kind of cheap. They look better. They're one of those brands where they've improved.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is there anything that is cheap in automobiles at this point?
Speaker 3: I know nothing except maybe those seeing those little tiny cars. There's one parked outside Costco. They were advertising it. It looks like a Santa Anna wind could push it over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, looks like if you get into a fender bender, you're dead, is what it looks like. I've seen those cars. It's that's it game over all. Right, Well, we have a mail to get to. I I you know, I did want to mention Valentine's weekend. I ranted, I guys were busting my balls.
Speaker 4: Dan.
Speaker 1: I made a heart shaped pizza. We had pizza night on Friday. I talked about that. I saw the pictures.
Speaker 4: Yeah, did I lose my man card? Danny? Is that it? Is it done? I now officially a wood. No. You always say rare and appropriate.
Speaker 3: And this is one of those weekends where you got to let romance lead the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's not like I went out and bought ten million bouquets of flowers. And I mean, I just I was making a pizza and I said, you know, the great thing when you were in the kitchen, the culinary arts, which are I've become a fan of in recent years, and you can do whatever you want. You're the one making the pie, so we like, Hey, I thought it'd be a nice little touch. My wife's come under the weather this weekend, so cheer up a little bit, and I think we'll probably end up really celebrating Valentine's weekend more next weekend. Now, I mean, obviously this weekend's over. Now it's Sunday, so I don't think I got back to work tonight, exactly it. For years you've admitted that you wait to get the half off, Candy. Well, listen, there are advantages to being someone that is selective and waits for the property. But this was not my idea, Danny. This was my wife's Like, well, I'm not feeling great this weekend. You know, I always want to I want to.
Speaker 4: Be in a good frame of mind, and all, you know how people are.
Speaker 1: I'm generally just kind of drudge on, and I'm like, I don't like complain.
Speaker 4: Like I've had this phlem situation.
Speaker 1: Tom Looney got me sick, that schmuck on the TV show, the only one I've been around who's sick the last like two months and that, and it's I'm not contagious. So I sit in that studio near him, and of course he gets me sick. So but I've been fighting this thing, I mean, sucking on garlic and doing that. But I might just whatever, just do the show and that's it. But your weekend, Danny, and you were very busy. I know that it's some odd odd scheduling this weekend, but you productive Valentine's Day.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, I think I've seen the inside of enough airplanes to last a couple of months. Where would you take your girm log Valentine's weekend? It took her to San Jose, California.
Speaker 1: Wow. Man, you know your way to San Jose. You know your way to San Jose. But you think of romance, you think of love, you think of San Jose.
Speaker 4: You think you really do.
Speaker 3: And in fact, I'm sitting in the lobby right now of this nice hotel in sunny Vale, California. It was sunny yesterday. We had a little family get together on my mom's side, and so I got to see my mom and a couple of aunts and uncles and cousins and their little baby's kids running around the park and CoA was running laps. He knocked out like a sack of bricks. He was so tired from running around at the park. All afternoon and then we ate. You would love this. We ate out of Chicago pizzeria.
Speaker 1: Oh well, you think Chicago pizza, You think sunny Vale, California. In fact, a lot of people don't know this, dandy, but the Chicago style pizza actually came from a guy from sunny Vale. Wrong.
Speaker 3: You know what we do when the family gets together, though, we do like a whiffle ball game. And my brother he's into my older brother, he's into this. I think I told the story the last time we did a family barbecue. He was arguing balls and strikes. He was bitching and complaining about foul balls because he put a jacket on both sides for the foul lines. And today he took it next level. Imagine me pitching the whiffle ball. I was throwing a mean curveball with it. He was on his second strike. I threw the third one bend right down the pike. He hits it back to the pitcher, which is me. I corral this whiffleball, toss it to first base. He is sprinting the first base like his life depends on it, because he is way too competitive, even with a stupid family wiffleball game. Where he should really be going half speed. This dude, it was like he was trying out for the LA Dodgers. So he sprints the first base, steps on the bag really hard and bites it rans on his shoulder. Stayed down and at first I thought he was being dramatic. Turns out after a trip to the er broken clavicle.
Speaker 1: What in a family whiffle ball game?
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, they had to help him up. Well, he was in pain. It looked like he wanted to cry. Is he younger or older than us?
Speaker 4: He is, He's about four years older than us.
Speaker 1: Oh man, Ah, dude, is this what we have to look forward to in the next few years? He follows the Medello marketing campaign. He's got that fighting.
Speaker 4: Spirit, which is this.
Speaker 1: Is not good at a freaking WI football game.
Speaker 4: What are you doing?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's a painful history. I've talked to some athletes that have had that over the years. That's a mother blankety blankety blankety blankety situation. Wow.
Speaker 3: My sister in law sent a picture of the X ray says it is a broken clavicle. He's going to be sent to an orthopedic surgeon. We won't know more until he sees them and everybody's commenting on him being a weekend Warrior, and they say, Ty goes to the runner Ben because man, I got that ball over the first base quick and right as his foot hit the bag way too hard.
Speaker 4: It was bam bam. We needed review.
Speaker 3: And the way he was running, the way he's so competitive in a dumb wiffleball game, you would have thought he was in a major league game that had review.
Speaker 1: Wow, that is next level.
Speaker 4: I'm in.
Speaker 1: And does that end now the Danny g family tradition of the whiffleball game. With that, you believe that will be the final whiffleball game.
Speaker 3: I don't think so, because his left arm is what's in a sling right now.
Speaker 4: He sent a picture.
Speaker 3: He said that he told his wife he could still pitch with his right arm tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Okay, so at least he still wants to go back in that. He's not like an NBA player, which would be that's it.
Speaker 4: I'm done, I'm out, exactly.
Speaker 3: No, this game is going to continue as soon as the side of the family gets together again.
Speaker 4: Wow, you have.
Speaker 1: Got to be kidding me on that note. We must bring in that's that's wild now, let's bring in Ohio and it'll be even more wild. It's all right, thank you, Ohio. All these are actual questions by actual listeners. And if you're a fan of this podcast and you've never ever sent content in, I get it. I look at the numbers, and based on how many people are listening to the podcast and whatnot, we thank you, and we know that most of you listen and do not much like Radio Davy. Most people listen, they don't actually interact with the show. That's generally how that goes. And so the same thing here in the podcast world, Mike. But if you want to email in a question, you can do it right now for next week or maybe like you wake up with a bug up you're a keyster on Wednesday and you want to send a question in or Tuesday, whatever, it doesn't matter when you send it, and just getting in by the weekend generally. So I kind of compile these things. I know we're doing this early here on Sunday, but I usually on Thursday or Friday. Put everything together, now, Mike, and Fullerton writes in and he says, Ben and Danny g now that season two of Benny Versus the Penny is in the books. It's still time to see it, though. Mike gets on Peacock. It'll be on there probably for the next couple of days, and then that's it, he says, I gotta know what your favorite episode the season is.
Speaker 4: For me, it has to be Week seven's.
Speaker 1: It maye me laugh, it made me cry, it made me think, it made me feel things I've never felt before.
Speaker 4: Truly a master piece. Now, Mike, I think you're bullshitting me.
Speaker 1: I don't think there's nothing I remember about Week seven that was particularly all that good. Anyways, thanks for another wonderful season. County down the days until season three. My favorite episode was actually an episode we had no games. My favorite episode was the week before the Super Bowl when there was that dead week and we went in there and just hamming it out, and they played some bluep tapes that I laughed at. The Danny DeVito one I thought was pretty cool, and uh, some of the other blooper stuff, like I liked that. I mean, I was getting my ass kicked by the freaking Penny. During the course of the regular season, I did win the preseason, so I won that. I won the postseason head ahead, but the regular season just everything I was doing. It didn't It didn't work out my way, But you know, generally speaking, I thought, to answer your question, I thought the week before the super Bowl was was a lot of fun. Even this past episode, the final, the season finale, I thought we had we had, yeah, a good.
Speaker 4: Time with I think your guys Zoom episode was the best. Yeah.
Speaker 1: We had to do it from home because the freaking fires. Yeah, the damn TV show from my house.
Speaker 3: Wait till NBC finds out they don't even need a set for you guys.
Speaker 1: Trust me, we were thinking we were wandering around. We walked in the rain at Universal the other day and we're like, well, we don't know. I mean, we might end up just doing the show from the house. Knows maybe you know, buy bigger, brighter lights or whatever. Anyway, Alf wrights in, He says, Ben, we know you don't do shout outs on the radio and other morning you do type things, but this podcast is anything but predictable, and you've been known to go off a book from time to time. So in that spirit, Alf writes in, I'd like to send a long distance dedication word of the week to another listener on this podcast. Loray, the word I'd like you to do a deeper dive on is officionato because we all know it's not really what she initially thought.
Speaker 4: It was the official person who.
Speaker 1: Gives the nod that's from your loyal million now, so this is We did a bit on the show this week and Alf has another question.
Speaker 4: We'll save that for a second, but Alf heard the bit. We had a sound.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you guys played this on Covino and Rich, but there was some audio from the NBA. I think it was Austin Reeves had a big game for the Lakers, and then one of the reporters Minimon mcminnon. I know the guy actually, yeah, something like that. So he asked the question and he used the word aficionado, and Austin Reeves was dumbfounded. I had never heard that word, didn't know that word. Loved the word, and so that I asked Lorena and she didn't know what the word was either, So I was like, aficionado.
Speaker 4: Was an odd word for her.
Speaker 1: So I looked it up in the able to do this as the bonus word all the week, Austin Reeves Word of the Week and also goes out to Loraina says late It originated Davis's Latin a late fourteenth century early fifteenth century for mental state, disposition, mood, state of mind, or body, and so it comes from that, and then over the years.
Speaker 4: It got twisted.
Speaker 1: Around year by year, and in eighteen forty five the Spanish word aficionato meaning amateur, but it was really for a devotee of bullfighting. So in it started in the first recorded use of the word written was in Spanish in nothing before fifteen fifty five. They say it comes from late fourteenth century, but they didn't write a lot of stuff down there. They didn't have a lot of paper and pens and things like that, and so in eighteen forty five it was switched over to aficionato, meaning a fan of bullfighting and all that. Obviously it's been twisted over the years even more since then, and it means expert a you know, the modern modern definition.
Speaker 4: So there it is the word of the week, which.
Speaker 1: Originally comes from Latin, and then in Spain was bullfighting in eighteen forty five, and now just means like an expert, a insider, a know it all, et cetera. Alf also said, having you two gentlemen, have you recovered from your food comas from all the half price candy you bought this weekend. I'm not missing you. I'm still working on a bag of Reese's peanut butter trees that I got from Bjy's that is a Costco competitor the day after Christmas. Yeah, so I did not have a chance to really buy it. I might go out later today, alf or tomorrow. I think the big discount will likely be on Monday tomorrow because it's Valentine's weekend, Danny.
Speaker 4: I mean some people celebrate, you know.
Speaker 1: I know Valentine's Day was back on Friday, but some people started to They started celebrating late.
Speaker 4: Maybe they didn't buy stuff until Saturday. So I went. I bought a card, but.
Speaker 1: I mean it was pretty slammed when I went out, So I don't know. Anyway, let's your conspiracy theory, Bobby writes in from Parts Unknown. He says, hey, Bandon, Danny, there is now there's no way, no way the Chiefs games.
Speaker 4: Have been rigged this year.
Speaker 1: I mean, I really don't think that they think we're the that's stupid anymore, he says. The camp with cameras everywhere, social media, all of that at least. I hope the NFL doesn't believe were that naive? I think that all went away with sports after the jfk assassination. Bobby writes in from Parts Unknown, says, or did it overthinking?
Speaker 3: Sorry, you have to admit that the Chiefs did receive some timely calls. I think that's the key word, timely. And so was it overblown?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the numbers indicated there was nothing really going on.
Speaker 4: There are a.
Speaker 3: Lot of bags except the postseason. Man, there were numbers.
Speaker 1: I don't even think it's true this year. We had the numbers before the Super Bowl. It wasn't like it wasn't any outrageous or anything.
Speaker 4: It wasn't ungodly, but there was a difference. Really, what's going on?
Speaker 1: And this is going to be a problem forever, Bobby is it's engagement farming.
Speaker 4: You get people people want to believe that it's right now. I'm not naive to think that there aren't things.
Speaker 1: I think from a fixed standpoint, we just saw the the NBA's investigating, or the FBI is investigating because that Toronto Raptors guy that was fixing props and got dinged. And then there's other NBA players that are being investigated and all that. Like that kind of stuff I think is widespread, But like as a whole fixing and the outcome of a game and a league being involved in it, It's not.
Speaker 4: Like it's impossible. I believe that. Again, the NBA.
Speaker 1: We had Tim Donnie on this podcast years ago and he's talked about some shenanigans in basketball. There's there's definitely I'm not naive to think it couldn't happen, and it doesn't have to be that many people.
Speaker 4: The problem is if one.
Speaker 1: Person spills the beans, you know, the whole thing, the thing goes sideways. But it just the Chiefs conspiracy stuff didn't It didn't really resonate with me. I love Kansas City. I've been to Kansas City many times, well many times, been a few times over there, I three times, and I always enjoyed my visits to Kansas City, the good people. I have friends there, obviously, the male chickens. I just all the places. You got to think, financially, for the NFL, where does it make the most sense to rig something. It would be, if anything, for the giants of the Jets and the amount of people that live in the New York Tri State area. The fan base is there. Kansas City is just not a big enough location. I don't care that you throw Taylor Swift.
Speaker 4: In there and all that.
Speaker 1: It's just a it's a numbers game with the amount of people that live there in that market compared to other places. If you're going to go that far and try to rig something, you would do it for LA or New York or Chicago. That would be the one you would go for because that's where you get the most bang for your buck. Not Kansas City. It's just not a big enough location. I don't I don't.
Speaker 4: Think I hear you on that.
Speaker 3: I think the conspiracy theorists were like, well, look, how many over one hundred million dollars is what they're saying Taylor Swift brought to the NFL, and so I think outs where people's heads were out, like, oh, they want her to be on the screen, you know, in her suite for the Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: Then they only show her like twice or once during the Super Bowl because.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, there wasn't much for her to celebrate in the last time they showed her, she looked like a sad puppy dog.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, yeah, I get you.
Speaker 1: Know you went all that money spent like six hundred thousand dollars to runt a home in New Orleans to watch the game was over at halftime. Anyway, who else do we have? Let's see page down and you want to read here, Let's see here's one mail bag. Marcus from Bruceville, Eddie, Texas says, question for Danny, with him being a hip hop DJ in the past, what did he think of the Kendrick Lamar halftime show? Does it seem a little corny to use a national stage to perform the disc track towards Drake when he, meaning Kendrick has been a well established rapper for multiple years with huge I would think he would take that platform to promote his billboard hits rather than a disc track that just gives more fame and notoriety towards Drake, even if he's taking shots at him. Well, this is any publicity is good publicity. From Marcus, your thoughts dating I liked the halftime shown.
Speaker 3: Was it the best thing possible for a Super Bowl with that wide range of an audience?
Speaker 4: Maybe not.
Speaker 3: There were a lot of metaphors and deeper meanings to things going on during that performance, so that part of it. If you didn't know the background, if you didn't know what was going on with Kendrick Lamar, then you're kind of left out. It's almost like when you listen to a radio show and they have inside jokes and you feel like you're not part of it. With that said, I think maybe it needs to be a bit of a simpler show for that large of an audience.
Speaker 4: But as a hip hop fan, I liked it. You enjoyed it very good.
Speaker 1: Just some more. It's the mail bag here On the Sunday, Kevin writes in from Kansas. He says, Ben and Danny g I enjoy hearing about your school days of yesteryear. What subject that you worked hard to understand but you never never clicked for you? For me, it was calculus. I tried, but it just never never clicked us. From Kevin, Yeah, it was kind of similar to you, Kevin, math like basic math. I learned math from baseball stats. I'm such a loser, That's how I learned math.
Speaker 4: I also learned.
Speaker 1: Geography from sports, like different cities around them. I'm very good with American geography because I I knew like where everyone's minor league baseball teams were when I was a kid, and I was like.
Speaker 4: That was I was that guy.
Speaker 1: But math, higher level math, No, like I'd go to do basic math. I call it malormath, which is a version of math. Kevin and I can do like baseball stats, percentages, I'm okay with. But yeah, the higher levels of math. My dad was a mathematician. My dad was a math major in college. So it was very disappointing to the family that I just could not master the higher levels of math. But that was not my that was not my thing.
Speaker 4: What about you, Danny, Yeah, I mean, I'm with you.
Speaker 3: I was really great with reading and writing if it was anything to do with that, it was pretty much an easy a for me when it came to math. Once I got to algebra, which was in seventh grade. Man, I had this teacher. I wish I could remember his name, but he was a dick and you had to show all your work and that was hard, you know, because sometimes you could get to the answer without having to show every little way you got there. But he wanted to see every problem written out from start to finish. And I'll never forget he always told the class I'm like Missouri to show me state you have to show me your work.
Speaker 4: Hey, I use that line too, that's a good line. Now.
Speaker 3: He was one of the guys that said, are you going to carry a calculator around with you your entire life?
Speaker 4: Well, what do we all have in our hand now? Yeah? Oh yeah, Well we're around the same age. So yeah, I remember that.
Speaker 1: You know, you're not going to be able to just have a calculator wherever you go. But they were big, massive calculator. They were huge calculators.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean there were Cassio calculator watches, and there were smaller calculators. But math teachers back then, at that time, in the early nineties, we're trying to tell us things like, well, you can't always have a calculator in your pocket. Little did they know we'd all have an iPhone in our hands right now at all times.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, the only thing that they got right was clean up after yourself. Your mom's not going to be following you around your entire life. Your mom's not here, Like that's true. You know, that's ack. That is an accurate statement for sure.
Speaker 4: That one. And don't pass svenreal diseases. Yeah, I try not to share that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ryan writes in from the Commonwealth. He says, Ben, you mentioned, Hey Bandondanny, you mentioned the last couple of pot episodes. You've been into cooking as someone who got just got into cooking. I've mastered these seasoning and cooking of salmon.
Speaker 4: What is your favorite thing to cook?
Speaker 1: And if you have any recipes, please send them my way find other things to try. Always interested in what people like to cook.
Speaker 4: That's from Ryan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ryan, I don't have any off the top of my head. Pretty much. My palate is pretty simple. I like to make things that cost a lot of money when I go out and try to save money by making them at home. I did a lot of baking for years, and then I've kind of shifted over more because that stuff gets you fat, so shifted over to cooking meals. And so it's a lot of burgers, smash burgers, which are pretty easy to make. You don't really need a recipe on that, a lot of smash burgers, a lot of cheese, steak, chicken, fingers, pizza, those are the things. Chicken during the week, I do a lot of grilled chicken because I think that's somewhat healthy. I've fetched around with potatoes I'm trying to master an alf actually sent me a recipe for fries and that's way too complicated. Alf the one that you sent me, and uh, you know, I found I found this cheat code which I'm thinking about messing around with Danny. Supposedly, it's the type of potato I've used, rust rusted. I think that's how you said rusted potatoes. I've used those for a while, and that's what you get in the grocery store. But there's a type of potato which is like a cousin of the rusted potato, and you use that. I guess McDonald's and some of the big companies use that. It's commercially produced potato. Because of the Internet, you can get it now. And so I'm thinking about buying some of those they're a little pricey for like a pound, and getting some of those potatoes and then seeing if that's the difference. Because I've done everything these recipes say I want crunchy fried potatoes like French fries or freedom fries as we call because we're Americans. But I try to get my hands on it, and they don't quite come out the.
Speaker 4: Way they should.
Speaker 1: They just a little off and I've followed. I'm very meticulous when i'm cooking, and I've followed everything. I've done, the temperature the way it's supposed to be. I've tried everything with the tow with the paper towel, you're supposed to get the water off the potatoes, and and so I've been unable to master that. I think it's a potato issue. So I'm going to try these other potatoes, hopefully this week. So you know, I'm a loser if I'm buying special potatoes that are only available in the commercial world that you can't buy at the grocery store.
Speaker 4: Because I want to have the next level fries. So that's why. Have you ever been to a fancy restaurant and ordered roasted fingerling potatoes? I have had those.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it was at a fancy restaurant, but that long is that your Is that your favorite? Is that your?
Speaker 4: Those are good?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Those?
Speaker 3: They're crisp on the outside and still soft in the middle, and then all the seasoning. And I had some in New Orleans during Super Bowl weekend. They were preparing so well, butter, garlic, powder, ground paprika, battalion seasoning, salt, and pepper.
Speaker 1: No, that sounds great, but my issue is the is and the preparation. Like there's one recipe high end potatoes. I don't know if this was when Alf sent me. I've seen so manyse frickin' recipes on the YouTube or whatever, and everyone's got their own cheat code. But this one involves like cutting the potatoes, air sealing them in a plastic bag, cooking them in the plastic bag in water for like twenty minute or ten minutes, and then putting them in a freezer.
Speaker 4: Just way too complicated, Like, dude, I just want some potatoes.
Speaker 3: I don't want to it sounds like an episode of Dexter, like you're disposing of a body.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I'm saying. So I'm like, I guess that's a French way to cook, where you make everything in bulk and then you but you have to put it in a sealed plastic bag air tight. And no, I'm not doing.
Speaker 4: That all right.
Speaker 1: Next up is a branding from Wisconsin. He says, Hey, guys, he said I can read this on the on the podcast. He's looking for some input. So I thought, you know, he's a question about the business. I thought we'd get into that. Brandon says, I love radio. My brother, who played in the NFL, has been a reoccurring guest on a Wisconsin media company which broadcasts statewide. Just recently they asked if I would join the spot with my brother to talk about live sports growing up in a small town in Wisconsin. It went well, and he says Brandon, to the point where we are going to be recording a pilot for a proposed Saturday show on the network. It will be centered around similar topics mentioned previously, Live sports business.
Speaker 4: Well are both rookies, but.
Speaker 1: Driven to put out good, entertaining relevant content. He says, I love your show. I haven't missed an episode in more than ten years.
Speaker 4: How about that? Thank God bless you that brand.
Speaker 1: I know it won't be a totally sports centric show, but would appreciate your thoughts on how to sell the soap. And that is from Brandon, So it sounds like he's gonna have a radio show, and I guess that'll also be a podcast. And the advice is if you always start out when you're starting something new, if you know somebody, if you know somebody that runs a business that has advertising money to get started, but there are these things called salespeople that you can hire.
Speaker 4: I'll take a commission.
Speaker 1: I'm sure that network I don't know the name of the network, you didn't say it here, but they I'm assuming they have a sales department. Unless you have to buy time, then that's a different animal. If you buy time, then you got to you gotta come up with the money for the time, which I don't even know how much that goes on these days.
Speaker 4: But yeah, you obviously have to find your dish.
Speaker 1: I know it sounds like it be on a radio network and then a podcast outside of that. Did you know, Danny that in the world right now there are four million, three hundred and ninety six thousand total podcasts registered in the in the world. How about that? God is ridiculous? Now on Apple podcast It's not that they're not all on Apple. As of last month, there are two million, seven hundred and fifty eight thousand podcasts registered just on the Apple platform. So, I mean, there's this insane the amount, and most of them nobody's listening to. But today it's a brand question. Get to the point.
Speaker 4: Please.
Speaker 1: You can do the old door to door thing, which is cold call businesses and say hey, I got this show we want to You know, you really just got to deliver an audience. You got to find a way branding to connect with people and whatever.
Speaker 4: Works, whatever works for you.
Speaker 1: There's a million different ways, as we like to say to you know, you can make a bed more than one way. You can bake a cake more than one way. But you got to find things. You have to be consistent as far as the content. To me, I think I was always thought like the content part of it. I'll take it from that old movie. If you build it, he will come. The listener will show up, and they will be there and give them a reason to be there. If it's the show's boring, and then no one's gonna listen. So you just want to do an entertaining show. And as we'd like to say on this podcast, Dany, if you can get people engaged and then they get other people to listen, you've doubled your audience. And you keep doing that and then before you know it, you're laying Joe Rogan those other big time people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you need your podcast to spread like covid did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And like they say, ben opinions are like buttholes and podcasts and everybody has one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they all they all all stink. But Brandon, if it is from what you've told me, and you can be somewhat vague, and I get it, I understand, but you should start out with the network.
Speaker 4: And I don't know the setup you have.
Speaker 1: They they said there's a pilot show for Saturday, so I don't know what time it's going to air, but you should say listen. You get obviously advertising, if you have to sell it, then that's a tough thing. But you have to figure out what your niche is. And you know, it's like kind of like our place, Danny. We've I've been approached by people that want to advertise on our podcast, and and I would take everyone's money. Unfortunately, the company that I work for, there's a lot of money that has to be spent on a show like this to get advertising, which is even mind blowing to me, Danny. The minimum buy in to advertise on the on the fifth Hour and Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 4: Is a lot of money, a lot of money.
Speaker 1: So hopefully you don't have those restrictions, Brandon, and you can work with those smaller businesses and give them a little pop, give them a little help. There so, but good luck. Keep us posted in if there's anything specific. But yeah, selling the soap, as John Sterling famously explained to me the Yankee broadcaster from back in the day, is the most important thing.
Speaker 4: You gotta do the commercials.
Speaker 1: You gotta support the advertisers, like right now, Dan, I'm supporting advertisers right now.
Speaker 4: Let's see, we'll do a couple more.
Speaker 1: Steven Peoria rights in and says the He says, a guy for I wor his grandparents' death certificate to get time off from work. I guess this is in Singapore. Uh, he says, what's the craziest thing you guys have done to get time off from work? Well, I've never forged a death certificate, Steve. Now, I don't I like working. I hate missing the show. It bothers me. Yeah, when I've been sick and been under I even work when I'm sick. Usually I don't think I've done. I mean to get out now to get out of school. I hated going to school. I was a terrible student. I hated the whole getting up early to go to school things. So that was a different animal. But like work, No, I just love that we have a listener in Peoria. That emailed in Danny because that line will it play in Peoria, which I don't think is used anymore. That was the great testing ground in America where if you had a I guess that goes back to the vaudevillian days, but if you had a product, or if you were an entertainer, because there was such a diverse audience in Peoria, Illinois demographics wise, that even I think even now in politics they still go to Peoria as one of the testing locations in America, but that it might be dating now. That was more like in the eighties and the nineties. I don't know if they still do that these days. But anyway, then we'll get out. I think we'll get out on that, Danny. I'll be back tonight. Boy do I have to watch the All Star Game tonight?
Speaker 4: Danny?
Speaker 3: Ye oh, man, let's predict the score though, I'm gonna say it's gonna be two hundred. Well they do what are they doing? Stupid brackets?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't even know, as I said yesterday, if you have to explain to your customers what your product is after they've engauged, like there's I think there's like multiple teams, and there's like a tournament like a round.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's some euro crap, just like the in season tournament. But the final game, I'll predict the score two hundred and thirty one to two hundred and twenty.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now I predicted they'll only play because of load management, they'll probably play like four minute quarters, so it'll be like forty two to you know, thirty seven.
Speaker 4: Or something like that.
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 4: It is so short.
Speaker 1: They don't want the embarrassment of having the games in the two hundreds.
Speaker 3: And by the way, really quick, I texted you a picture of my older brother. Oh my god. Yeah, he's back in the er this morning. They just gave him a pain shot last night and sent him home and said he had to come back. So yeah, they're going to see if they need to get in there. And wow, and well you guys set that shoulder right.
Speaker 1: You look nothing alike unless you look almost exactly the same. My god, wow, I mean I.
Speaker 3: Forgot to tell you at the start of this pod, before he got his not glory, it's the opposite of glory.
Speaker 4: Before he had his unfortunate accident at back.
Speaker 3: Yes, when we were up to bat to leave off the game, I drove two runs in with a triple.
Speaker 1: Oh nice.
Speaker 4: So even though the game.
Speaker 3: Was canceled because of an old person's injury, I was the MVP of the game. But the better story is in the losing wiffleball locker room exactly.
Speaker 1: See the story. That's the way to go, right there. All right, we'll get on that and have a wonderful rest of your Sunday again.
Speaker 4: We'll be back.
Speaker 1: And this is a week a lot of people are dreading Nanny, you know.
Speaker 4: And the business.
Speaker 1: What are we going to talk about? Everyone will be fine. There's nothing to worry about. I have friends of my Oh my god, there's no NBA talked about.
Speaker 4: NBA games anyway.
Speaker 1: There'll be plenty of ridiculous stories to discuss and crazy things that will happen, and there'll be all kinds of chatter of NFL players going here, there and everywhere. There's already a lot of noise about Aaron Rodgers where he's gonna end up.
Speaker 4: Dabo getting cut exactly.
Speaker 1: Deebo where he's gonna go, Cooper Cup, Matt Stafford, trade rumors, all that stuff, and we'll yap about.
Speaker 4: All of it because it's competing sports talk radio.
Speaker 1: Have a wonderful day, and we got new pods next weekend.
Speaker 4: Cannot wait.
Speaker 1: We'll be there and I'll be on the radio all weekend.
Speaker 4: Danny, You'll be on.
Speaker 1: With Cobino and Rich as well during the week and you can listen to Danny there with those guys and listen to me at night.
Speaker 3: Yep, Monday through Wednesday, we are in for the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 4: There you go, So.
Speaker 1: Check that out and we'll talk to you whatever.
Speaker 4: Asta pasta later, skater, Did I do that right? Hey, that's my line. Got a murder? I gotta go