Speaker 1: Warning, today's episode contained spoilers for the excellent Paddington and it's very good sequel Paddington two. Correct be warded. Oh my name is Jason Getzepsio.
Speaker 2: And I'm Rosie Night from joliad London, where Paddington now lives.
Speaker 1: And we're coming to you from the deepest, darkest jungles of Peru to welcome you back to x revision of the podcast where we dive deep. It's your favorite shows, movies, comics and pop culture. Coming to you from our podcast will bring you three marmalade sandwiches a week every Tuesday Wednesday Calicious.
Speaker 2: In today's episode, in the Adlock, we are going to be talking about Paddington one and two, including a discussion on which we believe to be better, which may be controversial, and thanks to Common and her love of Stuart Little, we're gonna end this with a little quick fire around about five other cute animal movies to watch once.
Speaker 3: You've watched Paddington one and two.
Speaker 1: But first, Paddington's all right. Paddington won twenty fourteen surprise hit, should we say the surprise hit of twenty fourteen definitely, with a wonderful cast including Hugh Bonville, Sally Hawkins as Mary Brown, not returning for the third movie, Sadly, Sadly, Sadly, Jim BROADBN Slate. Michael Gambona is the voice of Uncle Pastouoso and of course the voice of Paddington, the wonderful, comforting, soft as a blanket voice of Ben Wishaw, who I think this way, he might be more famous for this than anything that he's ever done, would you say.
Speaker 2: So, Q?
Speaker 3: Maybe? Q maybe.
Speaker 2: But it's also extremely funny because we also recently were just talking about Black Doves, where he's like a really sassy up front, like.
Speaker 3: Very explicitly adult murderer.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And there was a great present of you where I think Kiera Knightley didn't know he was Paddington and that was just hilarious. But yes, this is likely his most famous casting. And also I would say wonderful casting because this is like a Ben Schwartz as sonic kind of level where you just feel like they understood what they were doing.
Speaker 1: He brings like a level of emotion to the line readings that the innocence that Paddington has, but also at the right moments, like a sadness that's just fucking devastating. Like, yeah, the character design is so good, and I think part of what makes these movies so good is they know, okay, we really need to take up the emotional steaks up a notch. Let's just do a close up of Paddington's face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, and also the same if he's going to get into like crazy trouble, because a lot of these movies are like, it's Paddington and he doesn't know how a bath works. Might sound very silly, but I do think that combination of kind of broad physical comedy, emotional heart and just like an absolute murderous row of fantastic British actors really do make these incredibly incredibly unique.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we open in the Jungles the Darkest Peru, where an explorer from London encounters this family of intelligent bears. These explorers have been going all around the world and like categorizing animals and taking samples back, and he finds these bears to be absolutely fascinating. So he teaches them about England and Britain and the culture there, and tells them a bunch of fanciful facts about him.
Speaker 2: He is a bit of a colonizer, his energy is like he's going spreading. He's not only going there as an anthropologist, which we all know is a dangerous thing to come to your country, but also he is telling fanciful stories like this is not a true representation of London.
Speaker 1: Clearly believing that these bears will never make their way to London. So you could kind of like spin a yarn that said, this is also the listen. This is Paddington is expressly a story about colonization and I think immigration kind of like framing it in the in the most positive way in that, you know, the ultimate messages just because people are different, don't judge them for that, take them as they are, and in fact they might you might find that their presence here in your world is actually incredibly beneficial in ways that you could never imagine. That's It's also a story about how there are unexpected consequences to colonizing a place and repercussions that one could never understand, and one of them is these these bears become fascinated with England, and then an earthquake strikes, sadly devastating the home of the bears, forcing the At this point, probably like ninety five year old ninety six year old and Lucy to send her a young nephew, Paddington to London because there everyone gets a home. It's gonna be fine.
Speaker 2: Everybody gets a home and all you need is you just need a mamalade sandwich, which the Explorer also introduced. And currently the bad does not have a name, but we know that he's Paddington because Michael Bond has been telling these stories for many years.
Speaker 1: Many many years, since the forties and the fifties. Yeah, so here. So Paddington arrives at Paddington Station, which from which he will soon get his name, with a note around his next saying please look after this bear. You know, people just kind of ignore this very startling site, which I which is shy them up, which is kind of the charm of Paddington is like, oh okay, that's normal. That's a very normal thing to see.
Speaker 2: It's that mentality of like the New Yorkers who like wouldn't look twice at the Avengers. It's like that, but it's London. It's like everyone's just it's rush hour Paddington station. Everyone just wants to go. They seem to think he's some kind of street performer. They're just not interested. However, a certain family comes along and that changes all the Browns.
Speaker 1: Yes, so there is mister Brown dad, played wonderfully by Hugh bon Phil of Doubton Abbey, and it's the agency fame. He is, you know, don't talk to that bear, what does he want? He'll be fine, don't worry about him. Feels funny. He's might be dangerous, you know, he might be dangerous. And his wife, Missus Brown, is like, no, but this is so sad, and she reads the note. It's like we must do something. He's like, no, no, no, don't worry. So eventually she convinces him to take Paddington to their home where Paddington, you know, struggles with being in a urban home environment. A upper middle class, what would say, even wealthy. Here's the thing about a fantastical version love. This is a rich fucking family.
Speaker 2: You can even imagine First of all, where they they say they live in notting Hill, right, that's like where this is kind of set in general, and they do a great job of kind of representing the most eclectic and eccentric parts of London.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I mean this is like a ten million dollar house. They live in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is like a t a million dollar house. And the best thing is the mom is like an artist. She's kind of like an illustrator for romance.
Speaker 3: Novels, I think.
Speaker 2: So the house is just painted in the most kind of cozy, outrageous like flowers on the wall, and I do think that part of the appeal of this franchise is just how gorgeously kind of comforting.
Speaker 3: The whole thing is Paddington doesn't have to deal with.
Speaker 2: Much stress outside of like not knowing at this point, not knowing like how to use a bath as we mentioned, which is a very famous and hilarious scene.
Speaker 1: I cut the iconic scene from Paddington. He's he's struggling to use the bathtub. He overfills, it floods the bathroom, the water bursts out of the door, and Paddington goes to bogganing down the beautiful spiral staircase. Again, this is a this is a looking beautiful sea house, beautiful home, goes spiraling down the staircase in this bathtub with a look of innocent surprise on its beautiful, cute little face.
Speaker 2: And somehow he doesn't get kicked out, Like that's the.
Speaker 1: Power sorry about the bathroom. I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry about the flood, and he's so anomalate sandwich.
Speaker 2: He does a really good I think one of my favorite things about that scene is it's like.
Speaker 3: A Rube Goldberg machine.
Speaker 2: It's like he complishes teeth and then he falls down here and then and it becomes this kind of hilarious situation. And obviously mister Brown is understandably skeptical about keeping the bat in the house.
Speaker 1: So Paddington's mission becomes locating the explorer who came to visit them, whose hat he wears, and who he hopes might have some sort of answers about a permanent place where he can live forever, a home for himself that he might find, and the Browns help him with this, although mister Brown somewhat disgruntily, but the kids Jonathan Judy do it with much more alacrity. Meanwhile, Paddington's arrival in London has not gone unnoticed, notably by Millicent, who is the villain of the story. She is a taxidermist. She loves stuffing animals and people. Maybe we need to find it out later, potentially if they get it away and it really bothers her that years ago her ancestor returned from the the deepest, darkest jungles of Peru without a specimen, and she would like to rectify that situation by capturing Paddington, killing him and stuffing him, which is horrendous, yes.
Speaker 2: Very mean. Paddington is delightful and also I want to say, guys, Melicin is played by none other than Nicole Kidman, and what I would say is one of the kind of turning point weird roles of catapulted her to where we get baby girl Like this is such an over the top, fantastic kind of Bond villain role for her, and she's so much fun in it.
Speaker 1: She is wonderful in it. So Paddington finds out that the explorer is Montgomery Clyde and that he was shunned by the Explorers group that he was a part of because this group of very upright and fancy looters that went around the world just kind of marauding and looting and grabbing things. Bringing him back to jolly ol England when he ran into these bears, you know, they were civilized, they spoke, they were clearly intelligent and sent me in beings they are wonderful. We just like to hang out and beat marmalade and to waylay one and put it in a cage and drag it back to England. That seemed frankly to be barbaric. However, the scientific community of his day, or like one, talking bears, get the fight. We don't believe this. This is ridiculous, like what you're talking about. And two, you know the rules. You got to bring back the specimen. Where's the specimen? And so they shun him. Paddington reaches a low moment, feeling like he's causing so much trouble for the Browns and their home and all this trouble with the Finding Explorer and destroying their ten million dollar home with two or three million dollars worth of water damage, amongst many other things that have occurred, and he feels like, Okay, I'm going to go out on my own. I'm going to go look for the explore Montgomery Clyde on my own, and I'm going to leave the Browns behind. He leaves them a very heartfelt note that tugs at the heartstrings. The kids, Missus Brown are absolutely fucking devastated at this. Mister Brown is like well, okay, there's a big he's a bear from the jungle, like, you'll, don't worry about it.
Speaker 3: I've spent a.
Speaker 1: Lot of time trying to figure out how exactly long Paddington was on his own, and I think it was a while.
Speaker 3: I really was quite a while. Yeah, from from the way the movie is for sure.
Speaker 1: Because there's a month. There's an entire montage in which you see all the addresses and places that Paddington found, you know, from the phone book of listenings from Montgomery Clyde, and he crosses them all out, and there's you know, maybe a dozen or so or a little less than a dozen something around there. And let's say he did like one a night or one every couple of nights. That's all of a sudden, he's out there a week and a half, two weeks on his own, living by his wits in the alleyways and the streets. It made me very, very sad. This is a movie where watching it, I could tell that when I was a kid, I would have needed a parent figure to lean over to me and be like, it's gonna don't worry about yeah, it's gonna be okay, Because I would have been very troubled at the idea that Paddington was just like out on the streets for weeks. M Well, the Browns now find that though their house is severely damaged, it's also less lively without Patton.
Speaker 2: Because you don't have a talking bear in your house anymore. That's magical.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, guys.
Speaker 1: There's something of the light has gone out of the home somehow, and so they decide we must find Paddington, who has by this time fallen into the clutches of milicit who again plans to stuff and there's a wonderful adventure sequence. They find her in the Natural History Museum. Paddington, who is quite naive and innocent at times, but he's also quite He's a survivor, and he's very very He manages to escape and they ultimately defeat of Millicent, who is arrested for her crime. She only gets community service, which is fine. I guess you know what. She didn't threaten to kill the Browns and Paddington.
Speaker 2: But I will say this, but you know I will say this is this does start a thread that will continue to the second movie of these films, being like relatively interesting when it comes to the idea of crime and punishment.
Speaker 1: Prison reform, Paddington, Yes, the prison Passington. So the end of this, oh I should add that there is in the confrontation scene, as we're kind of ramping up to the final exciting sequence after which Milicent will be defeated, mister Brown gives an incredible speech that he ya fucking sells all the way about. And the speech is really ultimately the message of the film, because I think part of part of what's so great about Paddington is it's basically about an Englishman who doesn't like people or beings from other places coming to England and living and ultimately mister Brown decides, you know what, that's not true. Paddington is a bear, but he's part of this family and I love him and he has added so much to our lives even though he's different. And he gives this wonderful speech about that and how they're going to defend Paddington. And so the end of the movie is a wonderful, like three four minute sequence that plays out very much is shot very much like a book in which Paddington has found his home, his his forever home really with the Browns, and there he is in the kitchen cooking up marmalade, Missus Brown wonderfully. He's like, what are you doing? Padding? What's cooking Paddington? What do you think? It's fucking marmalade? What the fuck do you think it's all I eat?
Speaker 3: Is Marvela's marmalay?
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: Actually, also perfect time to bring up the fact that.
Speaker 2: In that very same Karen Knightley interview where he revealed he was Paddington, then, as Aaron pointed out, ben wishe Olster revealed he doesn't like mamalade. It's just to yourself, babe.
Speaker 1: It's very sweet. And at the end of that close Paddington writes to his beloved aunt Lucy, telling her that while London is very different from Peru, he's getting the hang of it now and he feels like he has a place and it's wonderful and let's talk for a little bit about what we say. I think this movie is one of the great children's movies of our time. I agree, And it's just so special, like it hits all the notes that you need from a kid's film. It works for adults on various levels because of the deeper messaging, the fact that the Paddington series is one hundred years old, almost one hundred years old at this point, so it's got generations of fans. And for kids, it's emotional, deeply emotional, but it's not too intense. They are always these moments where they return to Paddington's faces if to tell you it's gonna be fine, like they always do, like a thing, Yeah, first kind of scary thing where it doesn't get too scary and you realize by the way they shoot Paddington it's gonna be okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's feel very emotionally like intense, and also you feel it deeply.
Speaker 2: I think that something that makes these movies really stand out is if we think about the way that kids films and TV. I almost said content. I'm trying to train myself out of that word. But like the way that people make entertainment for kids. There has always been nuance, fantastic entertainment for kids. But when we think about a contemporary reboot of an existing character, because there's already Paddington books, Paddington animated series, all that kind of stuff, we think about something like.
Speaker 3: The Garfield movie with Chris Pratt.
Speaker 2: That like nobody really watched and it changed everything about Garfield.
Speaker 3: He's no longer lazy. He doesn't like Lazanne. Now he's like a street smart cat, you know whatever.
Speaker 2: But like I think a lot of people were surprised because this movie kind of came out of nowhere and it had a wit and a charm and a world.
Speaker 3: That you wanted to live in.
Speaker 2: And like you said, the way they shoot Paddington makes you feel like he's really there, that the Assing team are unbelievable. You never ever question anything that you're seeing on screen. I would say this is the way they utilize.
Speaker 3: And immerse you in the world.
Speaker 2: Means there's not even really a suspension of disbelief. You just feel like Paddington is a real character.
Speaker 3: Then you want to meet him.
Speaker 1: He's great, he's there, wonderful.
Speaker 2: And I do think this this movie went relatively under the radar. It was it was a quiet film. It was a quiet film, but it was pretty successful. There was a lot of nominations in England. It won Best Comedy Film at the Empire Awards. If you're a film lover, you probably know Empire Magazine. The Bafter Children's Awards, it won Best Feature Film and it was kind of but still it was like it made its money back, made enough that there would be a sequel. But it was not necessarily a cultural phenomenon. It was more something that you discovered. I discovered it when I moved here actually, which was like two years after.
Speaker 3: It came out.
Speaker 1: Same I discovered it about a year later when it was when people why trust it would be like, it is really good, that's.
Speaker 3: Really good, Like you gotta watch this. This is like some cozy vibe, you know what. It definitely I think that it was.
Speaker 2: It was an entertainment weekly where they basically compared it to like a Muppets movie, but in the style of Where's Anderson?
Speaker 3: And I loved that much. I was very mad cap, very charming.
Speaker 2: It's an ensemble piece, and it was just a delightful movie.
Speaker 3: I am a big fan of it. I was very happy when.
Speaker 2: We started talking about these movies because we're covering them in the lead up to the third one, which comes out in America on Valentine's.
Speaker 3: And it did it exactly.
Speaker 1: He's back and he's imparing baby.
Speaker 2: I think it's very unique to find someone else and this just goes along with our eternal gift and struggle that we agree.
Speaker 3: With everything about everything together.
Speaker 2: But yes, it's actually very bad to find someone who thinks this movie is better. I do love this movie, and I do think it is the better movie. But Paddington Too was a cultural phenomenon. And we'll be talking about Paddington Too in a moment after.
Speaker 1: It worked from those sponsors.
Speaker 4: Okay, we're back to discuss the action packed whoat music two musical, I mean they bring they throw a lot of things at you.
Speaker 1: In Paddington Too, which came out in twenty seven teen, written again and directed by Paul King with some writing help by Simon Farnabye, the your original cast is back with the addition of the wonderful Hugh Grant, who is this was like as a villain?
Speaker 2: People were really talking about a Hugh Grant oscar run for this one. It's wonderful the Oscars represented the general film going audience a little bit more that might have happened. And also this is the start of Hugh Grant in his villain era, which he is now embracing with roles Imprestige TV, obviously most recently the a twenty four horror movie Heretic, And it is just such a delight to see him here. We also get another legendary actor in Brendan Gleeson, who dislike.
Speaker 3: For roles in this film.
Speaker 2: And yeah, this was a movie that I saw legitimately take over film with film critic spaces and just bought a lot of people a lot of joy. And that's the point of Paddington. So I yeah, I love this movie too.
Speaker 1: So Paddington when we open the film, is quite settled in in notting Hill, not just with the Browns, but in the surrounding neighborhood where everybody loves to see him. People love to talk to him, people love when he shows up. He's feeding a stray dog in the alley. He's having a grand all time, and he is part of the community. He's writing to his aunt every day. She's about to turn a hundred, which is a big deal for a bear. He funnily thinks mister Brown might be eighty, considering his aunt is one hundred and so he's thinking about a gift for her. And when he goes to a neighbor's antique shop, he finds this beautiful, beautiful imagination tickling pop up book of London and begins imagining what it would be like to give this to her and to be able to show her all the landmarks of the city through it.
Speaker 2: A wonderful It was so beautifully designed, gorgeously. I want a real version, and I love.
Speaker 3: The antique shop setting too.
Speaker 2: Jim Brawd Fence mister Gruber is definitely like one of Paddington's kind of best friends, and I love that it really invokes that feeling of when you're a little kid and you go into kind of an antique bookstore for the first time, and you truly believe that in the hallowed halls of this dusty old shop you could find the real, never ending story book that will take you, you know, on this magical journey. This is very much one of those spaces where if you were young and naive and looking out in the world in a magical way, as Paddington always does, it feels like magic can happen. And the way they shoot this pop up book makes you feel like that.
Speaker 1: I love I just love the the introduction of the pop up book, and Jim Broadbent is wonderful. Got slug Horn and Moody in this.
Speaker 3: Film, right.
Speaker 2: This is if you go British, you're gonna get a lot you're getting, it's happening.
Speaker 1: So Paddington needs money. The Browns, of course, are fantastically rich, although mister Brown got passed over for a recent promotion which has caused a midlife crisis of so he's taking yoga, he's taking all which will come in handy later. And so nobody's like gonna give Paddington some cash, even though come on, mister Brown, like give it. I get that he should work, and that's fine. So he goes out and he does some odd jobs and it's, you know, trademark Paddington mad Cap Adventures and sue as he does the jobs in that kind of slapstick way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Boba gag, The Bobba gag is always gags in This definitely feels like a direct reference to one of my favorite Marx Brothers gags, which is there cutting they're doing barbering on a cruise ship when the powber is asleep or something. But there's definitely some really good nods to classic comedy here. Obviously, window cleaner never a good job if you're a clumsy person like me and Paddington. I could have told them that. But yeah, so so funny and those are you really get those big broad comedy moments early, because this film is definitely more concerned with kind of making an emotional and moral point as it continues on.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, so, Paddington is quite close to being able to purchase this book when it is stolen in the night by a thief who is dressed in a quite a unique manner. And he's got a long beard and kind of like a sloppy hat, not dissimilar to Paddington's hat, and he's wearing this long kind of like fisherman's overcoat, and he steals the the book. Paddington gets a good look at him, but is not able to catch the guy. Unfortunately, nobody believes Paddington. The Browns believe him, but nobody else believes him when he tries to raise this story and there's you know, there's paw prints everywhere around the store and marmalade tracks and uh uh it really was the thief, that's right, But it really looks like Paddington did this, and so he gets ten years in prison.
Speaker 3: Watches Fuck, come on, I'm saying.
Speaker 2: This is very this is very prescient to the weld right now, Like they gave this baby ten years for accusing him of the prison, an adult prison, of stealing a simple pop up book and guessing there is no evidence, there's no evidence. This is all circumstantial. But you know what, that shit happens every day, baby, And yet the millionaires and the billionaires and the capitalist that's stealing your.
Speaker 3: Tax money all the time, and they're never gonna go to prison. But guess who is that.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a robbery ongoing, lots of.
Speaker 2: Rocking people and sweet Mamalade lovers like Paddington as they don't even know.
Speaker 1: And you know what, the prison doesn't understand what they're in for because they're from Marmalade. Baby. Yeah, Paddington gets to prison and it's really not too long before he starts making it a much gentler, nicer, more sonny place. He quickly falls in with Knuckles McGuinty, who is the cook and something of a respected figure within the prison itself. And when he introduces Knuckles to Marmalade, Knuckles is knocked out and he says, this bear is under my personal protection. Nobody is to touch a hair on this bear's head, to which there is some there is some clear sadness amongst the prison population, they won't be able to beat up this bear, and Knuckles is like, but here's the deal, Paddington. You got to make the marmalade. You got to be in here with me making the marmalade so that we can keep it.
Speaker 2: This is the importance of having delicious fresh food in prison.
Speaker 3: It can change people's lives. He just needed some oranges and some sugar, and he said, these men deserve to eat deliciously.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, the Brown family is convinced, I mean, they know Pats Pattings is not a thief. Come on, and so they go on a manhunt trying to discover who the thief is. It's very interesting because the patent and family has been kind of going through it. As mentioned, so, mister Brown lost his job and is deep in the throes of a midlife crisis. He's doing all sorts of like wellness things and getting into yoga and doing and getting into stuff like that. Young Judy Brown has become a newspaper entrepreneur, like a media mogul kind of. She's very interested in telling the news around her town. And she's also had a break up with her boyfriend that we met at the end of last film and has kind of turned her very much like I hate men right now. No men were not dealing with it. Then there is a young Jonathan Jay Dog who loves trains, loves steam engines, and Pattingson used to help him with his train set, but understands that, like at the age is at, which is like maybe twelve thirteen, it's not cool to be a lover of model trains, and so he's like reinvented himself as this like rapper slash dj J Doog. So that's the kind of things that are going on in the.
Speaker 3: Brown Household while Paddington.
Speaker 1: And they're missing him because Paddington was the one who kind of taught everybody how to be themselves, and so they decide, okay, well, we're gonna find out who this actual thief is and are going to discover who is. They discover who is, they discover that it's Phoenix Buchanan, a kind of down on his heels actor who is still quite famous but hasn't been really working a lot, yeah, and is very arrogant and narcissistic. And it turns out that the book to the fucking Book has it doesn't really matter. But there's like clues to treasure in the book.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the age of the locations that look so magical to Paddington are hints and clues to hidden treasure.
Speaker 3: That's your kind of mcguffin.
Speaker 2: Also, I love this Hugh Grant role because this is such a specific English kind of trope of a person, which is, if you've seen Matt Berry's fantastic show Toast of London, you get to see a lot of kind of Phoenix buchanans. There is a whole trade and community of working actors in London who are always the secondary person in off you know, not Broadway but Off Chance.
Speaker 3: Rey Lay and Show or whatever like that. Always working.
Speaker 2: They're always doing bit parts in movies, but they never make it, and they hang around these arts clubs and arts bars and kind of bitterly chew on the fact that they are not the biggest name.
Speaker 3: And this is such a fun specific role.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure that Hugh Grant has met many people like Phoenix throughout his life, and they get to have a lot of fun with costumes.
Speaker 1: Here's a lot of fun swimming it up. There's a wonderful sequence in which mister and Missus brown sneak into his home. They break in under using a ruse, a wonderful ruse in which the kids tape a conversation with an agent with Phoenix's agent and then using two tape recorders, cut up the conversation so that it seems like mister Buchanan has an opportunity to maybe be in a in a stage play and a passion of stage play if he will meet this producer for lunch. So he rushes out of the house. Mister and mister brown sneak into the house where they find his layer of disguises, and there are all the disguises that he's been using, the nun, the thief, etc.
Speaker 3: The resputes in Beard.
Speaker 1: So the Browns, of course have been visiting Paddington regularly, every visiting time they are there, and Paddington has come to depend on these emotionally. And when he learns that the Browns have zeroed in on Buchanan, Paddington suddenly allows his head to get turned by a scheme of escape that has been masterminded by Knuckles and the others. And they lay it on Thick too, and they're like, well, listen, when you're out, you'll be able to prove your innocence, and we will help you with that when we get when we all get out, prisoner's got to stick together. And when we get out, you know, our number one thing is not going to be fleeing the country or escaping or evading the authorities. It's going to be proving that our friend Paddington, who showed us the importance of marmalade, is innocent them. I believe them too. So the Browns follow you can to a steam train. There's very mission impossible as the mission impossible style ending. Paddington has escaped, but is immediately betrayed by Knuckles and the gang. We just leave him, no very very sad moment. Paddington goes by himself to the train, and the Browns and Paddington kind of independently are closing in on Buchanan. There's an incredible act. I mean, this is like a long twenty minute action sequence of ups and downs and chases.
Speaker 3: There's a carnival train that following.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of things happen.
Speaker 3: They're on a real fat like a real train that is like an L N. E. R.
Speaker 2: Peppicorn closs a one which I feel like they had to put in because the case loves tradings, so.
Speaker 3: They were like, you better put a real train in HI for the train spas.
Speaker 1: That's one of the things that I think is great about Pattinson. Want to continue to be great about Paddington too. Is This is gonna sound crazy, but a lot like the of the Marvels the Avengers that has a huge cast. Every character gets their little closed loop momkh So Jonathan his love of trains is paid off when he takes control of this steam engine train that he knows exactly how to run. All throughout it, Judy has been using her reportage skills to zero in on mister Buchanan and mister Brown in a very Jackie chan esque sequence, uses his newfound flexibility from his like the yoga classes, has been taken to go into a full split between two moving trains that allows him to like almost falling off the train. It's delightful anyway. It all comes to a head when Paddington, trapped in a train car, is nearly drowned. Very very scary moments because Paddington is like unconscious. He comes to in the hospital, but it's fine when he wakes up. The Browns are like, guess what, You've been cleared of all charges.
Speaker 3: You're free.
Speaker 2: And also you're free to go because your friends Knuckles, Fibbs and Spoon actually did show up at the end of the house, right they show you they've been Potton, baby, they've been Pott and so it's all good.
Speaker 3: Everything's good.
Speaker 1: That is such, by the way, like a kid's book thing. And I love that they just kept it, where in an adult movie they'd be like, okay, now let's see the courtroom scenes in which Paddington is cleared. Now they're just like, yeah, nowhere met He's fine.
Speaker 3: And friends then and Jay, But everything's okay.
Speaker 1: So Paddington, though sadly does not have a present for Aunt Lucy's one hundredth birthday, but the Browns just surprised him by bringing Aunt Lucy to London. And you get this truly like tear tugging moment in which Paddington and his less surviving relative embrace and it's beautiful and the community is there. Everybody's everybody, And then.
Speaker 2: You get this hilarious you know, you see that Knuckles has started a sandwich restaurant which becomes incredibly successful. Love that for him, and then in probably what will go down for most kind of Hollywood folks as their resounding memory of this movie is Buchanan sentenced to tenires in prison, and within six months he has got the entire prison doing elaborate musical numbers.
Speaker 1: Including the kind of iconic trademark number from the Beetlejuice film Rack Your Buddy in Time, Okay, I believe you, which I was very surprised to see in this film. And Paddington Too. I love it one better because of I think just the initial surprise at how much I liked the movie. Immediately it'd be.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, me too, and that is an infinitely rewatchable movie to me. I have rewatched this too, but yeah, it's such a good movie. And then this was a crazy kind of smash hit that took the franchise in general to like over a two hundred million dollar box office franchise, and you get these things. Paddington Too, named one of the best movies of the twenty first century by The Guardian. NBC's Grand Crew produced an entire episode that was solely based around how Paddington two made the male characters cry. And then probably the most famous and mimable moment is in the Nick Cage Pedro Pascal Twohanda, the unvariable Weight of Massive Talent.
Speaker 3: There is a moment where the two of them are.
Speaker 2: Together at this rich compound watching movies and they're talking about their favorite movies, and the Pedro Pascal character is like, yeah, I love the Cabinet of Doctor Caligari, I love Felini, and my.
Speaker 3: Third favorite movie is Paddington two, and Nick Cage is like, shut up, like what's wrong with you?
Speaker 2: And then you cut to them watching it and it's the end and Nick Cage is crying talking about how much he loves Paddington too and how it kind of changed his mind. So the cultural impact of these movies has really gone beyond the small children's audience in Britain that I'm sure they were they were made for.
Speaker 1: It's wonderful and that sets us up, of course, for Paddington three, Paddington in Peru, which is coming out in the States February fourteenth, Emily Mortimer now taking the role as Mary Brown. But otherwise it seems like everybody else will be there, including a live Coleman and Antonio Barnderis.
Speaker 3: Characters, and uh, I can't wait excited.
Speaker 1: I can't wait.
Speaker 2: It was already out in England when I was there in December, but my nephew had already gone to see it. He was like, it's great, it's very emotional, and I was like okay, and then I didn't get a chance to see it. So now I had to wait like every other person who lives in America. And I'm very excited. I think what a fun Valentine's they treat. I'll be interested to see if this has a much bigger opening than expected, just because of how popular Paddington Too became.
Speaker 1: I do feel like it's entering the not the heights of this but in the kind of same zone as like Toy Story, in that.
Speaker 2: It like everyone knows they yeah, it doesn't really matter.
Speaker 1: What are your favorite we're talking about an anthropomorphic bear bear cub well, I hope never ages stop growing. I don't don't make him old, nobody wants to make we don't want to see it all Paddington. But what are some of your favorite anthropomorphic animal films? I love this one.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, this one.
Speaker 2: Paddington is definitely up there for me. I am also gonna I will say that I think for me it was such a huge deal when I was a kid when I did first watch Stewart Little So I'm definitely gonna add that one in there. That was calm and super producer's pick.
Speaker 3: But I think that was like me and my sister watched that one a lot.
Speaker 2: I think when I really consider all the different movies in this space, though, I do think Paddington is up there at the top for me.
Speaker 3: What about you? What what are the anthropomorphic or even just like cute animal movies?
Speaker 2: I feel like they always have that melancholic edge, you know, like a homeward bound. There's always something sad about the ones we grew up with, and I think Paddington's quite nice because they usually wrap up in that kid's book type way.
Speaker 1: Like you said, yeah, I love I really do love that about Paddington. It's like, at every moment where you're like, oh, this might be too scary. What if Paddingson legitimately dies during this trade sequence, there's always various cues where it's whether it's lighting or just the shots or something funny will happen that that signals alright, it's gonna be okay. And I agree with you a lot of the similar movies that we grew up with didn't have that. So I'm gonna pick one from my childhood that is looking bad. It was like much more intense than Paddington, but I loved it. And The Secret of nim.
Speaker 2: Yes, Rats, Oh, that movie is absolutely bonkers when you rewatch it as an adult. It's actually really intense and crazy and like kind of violent and nuts, but sci fi, hardcore sci fi about the society of rats that have that are very very smart and they are doing things that.
Speaker 1: I don't want to spoil the mystery in case anybody needs.
Speaker 2: If you haven't watched it, definitely go and watch it.
Speaker 1: It's a good one. Well any others.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm gonna I'm gonna bring up one that I did only really discover as an adult, which does definitely lean into the intense vibes, which is air Butt, because you don't think a movie about a dog playing basketball is gonna start with the death of someone's parent, but it does, and they're like playing basketball.
Speaker 3: By the graveyard like that one's really good.
Speaker 2: Probably as a kid, my favorites were Babe and Babe Pig in the City. Both of those incredible, incredible movies.
Speaker 1: Those are probably two of the c to Paddington. I mean, Babe Is is unbelievable.
Speaker 3: And Baby Pig in the City is actually terrifying.
Speaker 2: And that is, you know, people forget that that movie was directed, you know, by no other than George Miller, A mad Max Fame.
Speaker 1: Big in the City, in Fame, the Wonderful Babe.
Speaker 2: Babe Pig in the City is at the beginning, you get that same crisis of like why does he need to leave? And it's because Babe accidentally knocks the farmer down the well and breaks like all of his bones and.
Speaker 3: Then he's like, Okay, I gotta leave. I gotta go to the I gotta go to the city man. But it's very like Wizard of Oz.
Speaker 2: It's very weird to see these worlds of like an human city but just inhabited only by like weird talking animals.
Speaker 3: I don't know, there's something very strange.
Speaker 2: About a talking animal movie that is usually deeply unsettling. But I do think that is what Paddington does so well is instead they may make it an animal that you want to hang around with, You want to spend time with him, you want to help him out, you want him to be in your house, and it doesn't even raise a question like Stuart Little, which obviously the Internet has a lot of fun with nowadays, which is like, imagine if you were in the orphanage and Stuart Little was there a mouse or as I believe in the Cannon, a boy who just looks like a tiny mouse, and then a family came and they were like, well, fuck all of you orphans who need a place to live, I'm adopting this mouse.
Speaker 3: You know, that's like a wild setup for a movie.
Speaker 2: Paddington doesn't have any of that, because, of course, if you met a bear that was talking and wearing a cute little red hat, you would just let him move in with you, like there's no suspension of disbelief needed.
Speaker 1: I'm going to name drop what I think is maybe the most the og anthromorphic animal story and perhaps still the most devastating Charlotte's Web bo.
Speaker 3: Oh man, that's a killer. It's like you're gonna cry.
Speaker 2: That is.
Speaker 1: That will break you as a child, and film will just absolutely reduce you to rubble. And indeed, to this day, i'm it's still like if it's on or it's just hard to watch the end. Although it ends on a hopeful note.
Speaker 3: It is still still though it's a really tough movie.
Speaker 1: It's very, very tough. And I will say that for those of you not seen a Patenton film, Paddington never goes to that. No, that's well, I think that never never goes there.
Speaker 2: I think that's why it's so fantastical, because Paddington is not in any way supposed.
Speaker 3: To be a real bear.
Speaker 2: You know, he is Paddington. So in these movies a lot of times it's like, well, if you become friends with an animal or something that has a shorter lifespan than you, than it probably is gonna die and you have to deal with that because that's real life. Paddington's like, No, what if you were just like really chilled to anyone and there were no borders and you just let people move into your house, and you'd let a cute bear move into your house and everything was good and the community comes together and supports each other. That I'm so happy that kids nowadays have that instead of being forced to watch like Watership Down.
Speaker 1: Same, oh don't they don't get involved in Watership Down for us? Well, in the next few episodes of It's incredible, but just understand it's not for kids.
Speaker 3: Don't watch ountil you're an adult, and don't not depressed.
Speaker 1: Yes, In the next few episodes of X ray Vision, we're getting ready for Captain America, New World's Order. We'll be highlighting the comic end movie histories of Sam Wilson, Captain America, The Red Hawk, Falcon and more. That's it for this episode. Thanks for listening, Totally PIP. X ray Vision is hosted by Jason steps Young and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are Joel Menique and Aaron Korfman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abusafar.
Speaker 3: Our producers are Common Laurent Dean Jonathan and Faye Wack.
Speaker 1: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator.