Speaker 1: So many names, so many names, like what who?
Speaker 2: The second circuit of what?
Speaker 1: I know? What does that do?
Speaker 3: More?
Speaker 2: Better, more better, more.
Speaker 3: Better more.
Speaker 4: Welcome back listeners, Melissa Here. On this week's episode, we're looking to dive in even further on being more better at civic duty. With the election under a week away, Stephanie and I wanted to put even more emphasis on the power of your vote. It's up to us to create the change we want to see, which brings us back to an episode from weeks ago when we spoke with Elsa Collins, professional doer, mom, humanitarian, founder of Poldaristas and this is about humanity. Time flew by when we spoke to Elsa, and we only got to share a portion of our convo with you. So today we're going to share even more. Enjoy the listen, and see at the polls more better.
Speaker 2: You know. I thought the sweatshirt because I was like, this is cool.
Speaker 5: It is a cool Kleina Strata sweatshirt, has a cool heart on it.
Speaker 2: I will wear it.
Speaker 5: I will, you know, I'll look like a cool mom, not like a regular mom. And then what ends up happening in it is that I put it on and I'm like, I look.
Speaker 2: Like a sack of potatoes. I would a sack.
Speaker 5: It is literally the color of burlap. Anyway, don't make these mistakes.
Speaker 2: Guys. Welcome to More Better, a podcast.
Speaker 6: Where we stop pretending to have it all together and embrace.
Speaker 4: The journey of becoming a little more better every day.
Speaker 2: I just blanked.
Speaker 4: I was talking about the sweatshirt. Anyway, I got this and that's Stephanie Bietric.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Here we are.
Speaker 4: We're just really doing it, you guys, thanks for tuning in once again to the Shenanigans.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 6: How you doing, Steph, I'm you know, yeh uh.
Speaker 5: You know what bombs me out is that that was not a cheap sweatshirt. I was like, I'm buying this sweatshirt because this sweatshirt is going to do it for me.
Speaker 2: All right, be cool, relaxed, cool.
Speaker 5: Mom, it's not you want it, I'll give it to you. You know, it has a very cool drawstring on the front.
Speaker 4: When you said about the burlap color, I have to say nothing stresses me out more than trying to shop within the beige family because when you hit the bright color, it is looks so cool and then sometimes you don't is it like.
Speaker 5: And here's a question for women with brown skin, and you know, write us.
Speaker 2: Is it? Is it the brown skin?
Speaker 5: Is it the tones that differing tones inside variations of brown skin? I mean, I cannot a camel trench coat, no, girlfriend, I look like a thumb.
Speaker 2: I was a big big when I'm in a camel camel coat of any kind. All the blogs was like, camel, it looks so cool. It looks bad on me. Man, It's bad.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Like it like washes me out in a weird way.
Speaker 5: It's it's I think I unlocked it. That's why this looks not good on me. This is why they would look great on a darker brown skin, yes, woman, or perhaps a lighter like a peach. But this isn't for me anyway.
Speaker 2: How are you? What do you do this week that was more better? Or today or whatever?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: You know what I'm doing that's a little more better. But also it's not completely by choice. Is it's the last week of school.
Speaker 1: For my child.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of things to keep track of, and I am I'm on it wow, hyper focused on making sure all the things get done this week. But I also feel like I'm forced into that situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Interesting, right, Like I didn't sign up for a managerial position here, but somehow I've managed to be one. Yeah, it just sort of happens. What are you doing this week? That's more better, mamitor.
Speaker 2: Let's see, we did make out.
Speaker 1: It was nice.
Speaker 2: We haven't done that in a very long time for you. It was nice.
Speaker 5: You know, it's hard to find time to make out. It is like old school, high school style. Yeah, it's really you know, a little over the clothes grab.
Speaker 2: Sorry. Parents, if you're listening.
Speaker 4: To this with your kids, sorry about that, but you should educate them about sex and consent. Anyway, anyway, anyway, more better. What are we talking about today, Steph? What are we talking about today? Melissa?
Speaker 2: That's called a volley You guys have just volleyed that back she did.
Speaker 1: She was like, I don't feel like doing that.
Speaker 2: I do feel like doing what we're talking about today.
Speaker 4: Actually, we're talking about something really important today with someone awesome who we both adore and look up to. I would say for myself, we're talking about finding causes you care about and civic duty, you know, like voting has always been a big deal for me. I voted for the first time after September eleventh, because that happened to be the year that I turned eighteen, and so I just I've always felt really strongly about that. And I would say to people that I knew that, you know, decided to sit out a voter something, I would.
Speaker 1: Just be like, well, then you can't complain. If you're not going to participate, then you can't complain. Ah ha. I literally just put my hands on my hips to do that.
Speaker 5: Today with us is Elsa Collins. She is basically a professional doer. She's a mom, a humanitarian, and she's a founder of Bodadistas and this is about humanity.
Speaker 2: Welcome Elsa, Elsa.
Speaker 3: Hello, Hello, Hi, how are you.
Speaker 2: We're so happy to have you here.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, sorry confession, I was late. My kids school program run a little bit late. Sorry for keeping you all waiting. But I'm so excited to be be like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'd be like that, it'd be like.
Speaker 3: That hashtag hashtag life, hashtag life. But I'm excited to be here.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And I'm so excited to have you here. And I know you're super busy, and I really appreciate you making the time. Yes, give us a little bit of like background, how you kind of first started, like how you knew this space was like where you wanted to, like, you know, focus a lot of your energy and time into.
Speaker 3: You know, I would say that my journey to kind of the space I'm in honestly started when I was young. My mom was always someone who was taking us to volunteer, and then I think that when I started having kids, it kind of was reborn within me. It really clarified for me at least, like what is my purpose in this world? What was my purpose and my responsibility to others in my community. But it came from having kids and feeling like I needed to really get focused on how I was going to make this world kind of a better place. I think, you know, twenty sixteen was a really hard year for so many people, and for me, it was really the catalyst for thinking about this as actually as a profession and saying, you know what I'm going to I'm going to start a consulting company where we really focus on issues that matter and think about how people are using their voice and using their platform. Because you know, it was a time where I didn't know where what was going to happen in this country, what was going to happen with my kids. As you said, like I'm raising three kids or multi racial, multi lingual, and in a in a at a time where that may not have been you know, looked at as a as a good thing. You know, it's like a double whammy. They're they're half Mexican and half black, and and and I thought, okay, I need to be as as much of an advocate for for them and for their existence as a whole. And that kind of was really what motivated me to look at this as something that I would do, you know, as a career.
Speaker 1: That's really cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's really cool.
Speaker 3: Sometimes you're like, I don't know what my role is in this space, and and honestly that the first and easiest role is as a mother, and it's how we're raising our kids, and how we're exposing our kids to sort of obviously in an age appropriate way, but things that matter and things that are important. When we look at what is the biggest predictor of what makes a voter a voter, it's if their parents voted. So it starts like us, and so I want to say that you know, we may someone may listen to this and finish the whole conversation and be like, oh my god, there was so many things. I don't know what it's like. Honestly, even if you're you're an auntie, you're like someone who's in the village of somebody else, or you're a parent village of somebody else, or you're a parent yourself, Like you are having a very important role in creating like the next generation of change makers, upstanders, people who are going to say things, people who are going to like know what to do and know how to act, and so everybody who listens to this can start right there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's huge, it's huge, and it's part of like that that responsibility or that.
Speaker 2: I don't know, gift.
Speaker 5: It really feels like a gift to be able to vote for who you want to be in power, making laws, making choices, making changes. Not everybody gets that gift, right, And like, my parents lived in the United States for a long time before they were allowed to have that gift because they weren't US citizens. And when I became a US citizen, it was like, Okay, this is huge because I could see how much it meant to my parents to be able to vote, you know, it was a huge huge, huge thing the first time that they got to do it, and subsequently it's been huge for me every time since, you know, because I could see that it meant so much to them to be able to take part in something that was the vote for their representatives in the United States.
Speaker 4: More more.
Speaker 5: Sometimes I think people can feel like they're voiceless or what they want isn't accessible, but on a reachable level, it really is, like it is reachable. You can enact change in your community simply by taking the time to just a little time to get to know the candidates in your community, get to know them on a state level, get to know them on a.
Speaker 4: United States level, and voting yeah, and that and that too. Like I've I've tried to be much better at more better at uh, you know, educating myself about local candidates too, because I feel like that is really what affects like your day to day life, and it wasn't something I thought about as much as a young person. It's just always focused on like the bigger elections, you know. And but now I think, as you said, Elsa, like since I've become a parent, I'm more focused on and it just you know, it doesn't take long. It's just like sitting down, making a little time to just like get online and just like learn about who the local candidates are and like what they stand for, what their platform is, like read the blurb, read the thing you know, and then it makes you know when you get that, you get to that booth and you got all those names, so much.
Speaker 2: Lessons, so many names, so many names.
Speaker 5: The second circame what yeah, yeah, but we're so lucky because the Internet any tips elsa, I mean, for me, it's usually like you know, I'm I'm I look for Oftentimes there's websites that will break it down for you, like what candidates believe in the stuff that your values and your vision for your community aligns with, and then you can sort of see where they stand on different things, and from there you can vote, as opposed to like having to sit down and sort of read a giant you know. I mean, you know we're all very very busy. We're not I'm i am. I'm barely getting through my US weekly every week. You know, I'm not trying to get through like a treatise of what everyone thinks about every single thing.
Speaker 3: So I mean, I would say two things to that. I would say, first.
Speaker 2: Of all, stop reading us weekly.
Speaker 3: No, I would say, there are so many people who spend not even one tenth of the fraction of the time that we just talked about. We just walk in and are just like boo boo boo boo boo. Now great. The reason why I mentioned that is because I don't want people to feel like if you're not getting a PhD and poly side, that you are not allowed in that in that voting booth, you know what I mean. So like, yeah, very easy. I love ballot Pedia, like it kind of breaks it down for you. You can look and it'll tell you put in your address, and it tells you, Okay, this is what's going to be on the ballot. And even I mean I have voting like get togethers, Like even I will get together with our ballots and we'll go back and forth where we'll be like yeah, prop whatever, and we'll be like yeah, yeah, it's yes, right, and then we'll read it and we'll be like, well, it's actually no, and then you realize it's written to literally confuse the f out of you, and you're like why yes, and it sounds like and then these people support it, and these people are against it, and you're just like, oh my gosh. So I would say it's always a good idea to look at. You're always gonna have a friend who's like way more politics and you I like looking at their sample ballot. Now, I'm not going to take that and literally just go verbatim, but some people do. And then I'll sort of look and look at like ballot PD, I'll look at a couple different sources. Some of the you know, whatever party affiliation you are, they will usually put out sort of like a recommended you know, voter's guide. So I'm pulling from like three or four sources to kind of come to a compilation. But I would say in every election, there's obviously going to be more important issues or seemingly more important issues are on the ballot. You know, obviously coming up in this election, we have women's reproductive health is on the ballot in a couple of states. Obviously it's it's a presidential election that's coming up, which is big. But as Melissa mentioned, there's going to be smaller amendments that are on the ballot, propositions, things that are happening literally in the county that you live in, that can greatly affect your life. Your public schools, you know, how money gets distributed, how we improve you know, our highways or freeways or so. There's a lot of things that are happening at a local level that I think, to your guys's point, may affect your everyday life more than kind of what's up here. But I think you know, knowing that you can pull from different sources. You don't have to feel like the smartest person in the world to go in and do it. But knowing kind of where you sit and sort of your general belief system, I think is a good thing to have with you, and that's really all you need. Honestly.
Speaker 6: That's so good though.
Speaker 4: That's I never feel like the smartest person in the world when I go anywhere, so that's great. Just feel normal going into the voting book.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I get nervous. Do you guys ever get nervous when you go in there. I'm like, oh, yeah, as my fingers on the pulse of everything right now, yeah, yeah, at that moment.
Speaker 2: But I guess it kind of is.
Speaker 4: I mean, maybe that's why I get nervous, because it is a very cool, big deal that we get to do that.
Speaker 3: Well, it's interesting because Mexico just had their election, and you know, they and this was the first time that people abroad could vote so at all the consulates, at all the Mexican consulates, there was like hours long lines for people who were trying to vote. I think people in Paris were waiting up to like six hours. In La the line was about three hours. But two things that really made me sort of reflect on it was a we hold our elections on a I say we because I'm a dual citizen. But we hold our elections on a Sunday, where it's easy for people to go vote. It's not that easy here in the United States. You know, the elections on a Tuesday. We don't know how late the you know the boot's going to be open. So you know, part of why it's really important to vote is because sometimes there are people who try to make it harder for people to vote. Working people, people who have multiple jobs, they don't necessarily know where their election is. Can they vote outside of their district? You know, how easy are we making it so? So that's one of the things that I really appreciated about the election yesterday was it was on a Sunday. People know how important it is. I mean, they waited in that line, and we want to make sure that in our election coming up in November that the same thing has happened, that people really take advantage of what is such a privilege to do in this democratic society and to not have anybody make them feel like they're not worth it, They're not worthy and they don't deserve the access, and that they they were able to do it in a safe, in a safe way.
Speaker 6: One hundred percent. Yeah, it's so important.
Speaker 3: So like for all my gen and I don't know what the generation of eighteen to twenty four year olds is called right now, generation cucumber a gen because not a health is already I don't know. I don't know what comes after Alpha, but something, you know, I think that, like I look at them and I think, guess what, people like you guys, you're amazing because you can amplify a certain type of situation and help more people find things out. But when you look at actual influence, the person who's on that group chat of seventeen people who's like their friend groups, not Alpha, but just the person who makes suggestions or is encouraging or whatever that's the person. So I'm hoping that person sees you and thinks, Okay, I'm going to influence my circle of friends that we're all going to go vote this year. Like maybe we're not that excited, maybe it doesn't seem sexy, maybe it's like not on top of mind, or they're not feeling like it's so important, but because they heard you guys talk about like, hey, you know what, we were kind of this is the way we found our civic engagement voice. This is kind of the thing that we're doing, and like we want to just make sure you guys know about it because, like, guess what, it really does matter because you're all the things and all the rights that are at risk. And that person goes and tells her friend, well, that's that's the power. That individual person, this individual person listening right now has all the power.
Speaker 5: I agree. I agree with that one hundred percent. I was talking to a friend the other day and she specifically said she was like, I don't know, you know, it just feels like I'm I'm just left with that all the choices are bad, so.
Speaker 2: Why would I even go?
Speaker 5: And I'm like, babe, the no, nothing is perfect, nothing right now is perfect. You can look around and see that it's not, but it it. It's such a big deal for you to go. It's such a big deal for you to go and make your choices known and make your voice heard, because like everybody's voices add up to this, like cacophony of citizens saying this is who we choose, this is what we want. We were interested in seeing these changes in our society. We want this to happen. We want these groups to be protected, we want this to be safer, we want this, that and the other. It's like, if you're just going to sit back and not do it because none of the choices are sexy, wow.
Speaker 2: Then you can't keep playing. You know, I'm not just on a day to day basis.
Speaker 3: What I would add to that is, I think also some people feel like, well, whoever ends up in any election being the winner, Like, my life's really not going to change. But the truth is that somebody's life is going to change. Somebody's life will be really permanently affected. So like, if you don't feel that compelled for you, look to your most vulnerable friend and think about what they may have at risk. You know, if you don't like show up for them. So I would just encourage people.
Speaker 2: It's a great way to put it out. So I love that so much, you know, and your most vulnerable friend think about that.
Speaker 3: Think about your most vulnerable friend or community member. But some of the orgs that I love that are doing great work in the space, you know, Like I am a voter. If you want like reminders, you know, you can text friends to two six seven ninety seven and you'll get all of your voting reminders on your cell phone. You won't have to go on the internet and find things out. Headcounts a great org. If you're not registered, get registered. Look at our friendship that was born out of love of democracy and has now has transcended that into like motherhood and other things. And so you can find your people there. You can find people in these spaces that are fun to be around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can build community.
Speaker 4: And like you were saying in the beginning too, you're also like, what a beautiful example for your children to see and watch. Yeah, and I think that's really important and really beautiful kind of even family tradition to be like passing on like your mom gave to you.
Speaker 2: That's yeage. Yeah, more better, Oh, Elsa, We're so glad you were here with us.
Speaker 4: Wait, I feel more better about like, I don't know, I just feel like, you know, I can do stuff.
Speaker 6: I feel way more better and I feel like pumped.
Speaker 2: I'm doing You're amped up right now?
Speaker 1: I am. My energy went up through this conversation.
Speaker 6: And I'm doing a fun event with Elsa this Saturday in Arizona for abortion rights and women reproductive health.
Speaker 4: And I am very excited now also because I get to spend the day with Elsa.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited for you guys. I wish I could be there. Oh yeah, it's gonna be awesome.
Speaker 3: We're gonna have a great time. And I think again, look look around your community. Don't be afraid to like be the one to make make a suggestion to your group, chat, your group of friends. Yeah, you're gonna feel more better if you if you show up even a little bit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, classy, classy way to drop the title of the pod right there at the end, you guys, thanks for listening today, everybody.
Speaker 1: Oh wait, we forgot to.
Speaker 6: Ask Elsa she feels more better?
Speaker 1: Do you feel more better? She does? She does.
Speaker 2: I didn't even need to ask her.
Speaker 3: First of all, just spending this time with you has been has made me feel more better whenever I'm with you guys, and I hope that's how everybody feels when they hear your podcast.
Speaker 4: YAYO, Yeah, thanks for stopping. Bye, thanks for coming on the pod. Thanks for being here everyone.
Speaker 2: We love you all. I love you pod people.
Speaker 4: Okay, bye bye bye, More Better.
Speaker 6: Well that's it, thanks for listening.
Speaker 4: We hope this convo inspired you to take action, make a plan to vote. Speak to your loved ones and your friends see if they need help with their plan to vote or mailing your ballot, or show up on November fifth. I hope we can have the biggest turnout that we've ever seen in an election.
Speaker 2: I hope you're pumped.
Speaker 1: I'm pumped.
Speaker 6: Let's stay hopeful and please vote.
Speaker 2: Have a great day, More More Better.
Speaker 5: Do you have something you'd like to be more better at that you want to talk about in a future episode.
Speaker 4: Can you relate to our struggles or have you tried one of our tips and tricks?
Speaker 5: Shoot us your thoughts and ideas at Morebetter pod at gmail dot com and include a voice note if you want to be featured on the pod. Ooh, More Better with Stephanie Melissa is a production from Wvsound and iHeartMedia's Mike Utura podcast network, hosted by me Daffie Viatriz and Melissa FUMERA More Better is produced by Isis Madrid, Leo Clem, and Sophie Spencer Zebos. Our executive producers are Wilmer Valderrama and Leo Clem at wvsound. This episode was edited by Isis Madrid and engineered by Sean Tracy and feature's original music by Madison Devenport and Hey Loo Boy. Our cover art is by Vincent Remy's and photography by David Avolos. For more podcasts from iHeart, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. See you next week's Sgal bye,