Speaker 1: I am all in you.
Speaker 2: I am all in with Scott Patterson, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Everybody. We're doing Pop Culture Season five, Episode seven. You Jump I Jack, Doyle and Rory talking about her.
Speaker 3: It's you jump, I jump, I jump Jack.
Speaker 1: What I said, you jump I Jack? You jump by Jack? I said you jump, I jump by Jack. I said you jump by Jack?
Speaker 3: You jump by Jack?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you jump I jump by Jack? All right, Doyle Doyle, Doyle. Oh wait a minute, you guys read it. I'll be Doyle.
Speaker 3: I need it on the screens.
Speaker 4: Doyle and Rory talking about her life and death brigade story and move around the newsroom.
Speaker 1: I love this. We just sent All the President's Men moment.
Speaker 4: All the President's Men is in nineteen seventy six film starring Robert Redford in Dustin Hoffman.
Speaker 3: The film is.
Speaker 4: About Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein working at the Washington Post and covering the Watergates scandal. Rory and Doyle were walking around and talking about their story in a fast manner like they did in All the President's Men.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. That was a good moment. And Robert Redford ten out of ten.
Speaker 3: I give him ten out of ten Robert Redford.
Speaker 1: I want to say, you gotta give him ten out of ten Robert Ridverords.
Speaker 3: I really I love him.
Speaker 2: And that was a very all the President's Men moment, Like I thought that that was a great moment pop culture reference because it was that and they're they're cute.
Speaker 3: Luke telling Laura to schedule dinner with Emily.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to change my mind.
Speaker 4: Okay, fine, I'll call her now. Uh WHOA, what is happening? Something dark is happening here. It's like heavy iron, or it's heavy like iron. Oh did you feel that ice cold wind that just passed.
Speaker 1: Through the call?
Speaker 3: I see it?
Speaker 1: Make the call.
Speaker 2: Lourlai is quoting the creepy film The Sixth Sense when Haley Joel Osmond's character realizes I see dead people. Laura doesn't want to call her parents, so she quotes the famous line after referencing the cold temperature change like in the film. A couple things for anyone who hasn't seen it, Bruce Willis is dead the whole time. Nate Bargatsi does the funniest comedy bit about the Sixth Sense.
Speaker 3: It's really really good and if you just google it.
Speaker 2: But when you watch The sixth Sense, do you guys remember I mean I was fine.
Speaker 1: I never watched it.
Speaker 4: I never watched it either.
Speaker 1: Never interested me.
Speaker 3: First of all, I just ruined the ending for both of you.
Speaker 1: There's old I'm going to say it. It doesn't interest me.
Speaker 3: Also, do you want a bit of trivia?
Speaker 2: Do you know who plays the bad guy at the beginning that kills Bruce Willis Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Donnie Wahlberg Donnie Wahlberg.
Speaker 2: Donnie Wahlberg from New Kids on the Block. So this just a little sixth C trivia.
Speaker 1: Nice gig, nice gig. Yeah, good work if you can get it.
Speaker 2: It's a good movie. I highly recommend seeing it. It's not going to be as good now though, because you know.
Speaker 1: It's the marketing campaign didn't pull me.
Speaker 2: Ind it's a great movie.
Speaker 1: You know, maybe I'll watch it, but I.
Speaker 3: Do Danielle assignment. I'll watch it.
Speaker 1: Emily offering Lorelei another drink at dinner.
Speaker 3: With Luke, does Pavaratti want a donut?
Speaker 1: Luciano Pavaratti is an Italian opera singer who feared he would starve if he didn't have round the clock access to food. According to his former butler Laura is referring to her one another drink like Pavaratti would need on the clock food.
Speaker 2: I mean tough reference that I feel like not too many people got but once once we learned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little wonky, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a tough one.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, somebody.
Speaker 4: Rory is blindfolded as she is led to a secret camping area with logan.
Speaker 2: Is a blindfold coming off? Or am I Patty hursting the whole trip?
Speaker 4: Patty Hurst is the descendant of the newspaper magnet William Randolph Hurst. In nineteen seventy four, Patty was kidnapped by the Symbionese Liberation Army, and nineteen months later she was found and arrested after being spotted robbing of San Francisco bank. She was sentenced to seven years in jail, but only served twenty one months. Rory refers to the fact that Hurst was kept blindfolded at the beginning of her time with the SLA.
Speaker 3: I mean, what miss that whole thing?
Speaker 2: This was like she she was kidnapped and then she got on board with the bad guys kind of a deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was like, it was like she was kidnapped for so long, she robbed some banks herself, and that was caught on video and played on the evening news.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, you'd think that they would let you off for that.
Speaker 2: But what's that thing when you fall in love with your captor, what's that something?
Speaker 1: Stockholm syndrome syndrome. The mastermind was a black I guess, a black panther leader named the sink Sink Sink he was. He was controlling the whole thing. And you know, she she was arrested. But then then then his crew ended up in Los Angeles. Whoa, there was a I mean, there was a wall of bullets coming and they hold up in a house and the and the l A p D.
Speaker 3: Just like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: When I think about it, like if you're kidnapped and then your kidnapper says you needed to go rob a bank or I'm going to kill you, I don't think you should be busted for robbing the bank.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the I guess the prosecutor proved that she they didn't buy the Stockholm syndrome thing, and that she was too willing, and she was making public statements, she was making videos, she was making all this stuff. Okay, and you know that was that was the problem. It was probabill.
Speaker 2: Seems like they could have like mind melded her and that's why she did it. But I mean, I'm going to get a book on this because it seems like I need to.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, imagine being in that situation. How terrifying, right like that is? I mean, I think when they kidnapped her, they they either shot her boyfriend when they she was she was off, she was she was attending Berkeley and she was living with a guy who was a math. He was an assistant professor in the mathematics department. Uh, And they were living together and and they just came to the door and I think they shot him. Oh my god, I think they shot They either shot him or they beat the living crap out of him, But I think they shot him and kidnapped her and took her away. And I mean, can you I mean, how terrifying. And they took her all over the country. They took her to the East coast. You know, she was in a Pennsylvania farmhouse, you know, And I mean she couldn't leave.
Speaker 3: Have some sympathy for her.
Speaker 1: It was a whole deal. It was a whole thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna I want Is there a Patty Hurst movie? I want to watch that.
Speaker 2: But anyway, Rory is nervous to participate in the jump. With the Life and Death Brigade, Logan gives examples of journalists who participated in their stories.
Speaker 1: George Plumpton never participated what his best stuff has put him to think of it fighting Sugar Ray Robinson. Did he George Pumpton really fight Sugar Ray Robinson? That's that's a suicide mission. Quarterbacking for the lines, I remember that, and skating for the Bruins.
Speaker 4: So he participated.
Speaker 1: Bill Beerford lived with soccer hooligans amongst the thugs or any Pyle was so deep in the action of World War II, was killed by a Japanese sniper. Not that you got to go that far, aren't Buford Pile?
Speaker 3: I know?
Speaker 1: Richard Hottelott was four months in a Nazi prison working for UP. Richard Hunter Thompson lived with the Hell's Angels, got in the mock didn't just orbit around. He drove his writing. He put in those bikers' parties, he puts in those bikers' heads.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna give quick little tidbits on who each of those people were. But I think it does prove our point that when she had her notepad out, that wasn't being a good journalist, okay. George Plumpton was a sports illustrated writer who wrote a book called Paper Lion, depicting his try out with the NFL Detroit Lions. He also wrote articles on sparring with Sugar Ray Robinson and played goaltender for the Boston Bruins. Bill Buford wrote a book called Among the Thugs, The Experience and the Seduction of crawd Violence. He lived with mostly Manchester United Fans, who called themselves the Inner City Jibbers. Ernie Pyle was a Politzer Prize winning war correspondent from World War Two for Scrips Howard Syndicate. He died in enemy fire in Okinawa, Japan. Hotelet was the last surviving member of the Murrow Boys, a World War Two era team of war correspondents recruited by Edward R. Murrow at the CBS. As a correspondent for the United Press, he was arrested by Germans under suspicion of being a spy. He was released in nineteen forty one during a US German prisoner exchange. Hunter Thompson found the Gonzo journalism movement, a style of reporting that places the reporter at the center of the story in a personal and participatory way, and he is the author of a nineteen sixty seven book called Hell's Angels, where he spent a year living and riding with the Hell's Angels motorcycle club so that he could write a first hand account of their lives and experiences.
Speaker 4: Boom, that's a long one.
Speaker 1: Rory and Logan getting ready to jump off of seven story scaffolding for the Life and Death Brigade. You jump, I jump, Jack Rory, quoting Titanic from nineteen ninety seven. Rose is about to jump off the ship, but Jack comes to save her on dresses and says he's getting ready to jump too. If Rose jumps. Rose then quotes Jack when she jumps off a lifeboat as the Titanic is sinking, and runs into Jack's arms and says, you jump by jump right, m was.
Speaker 3: There room on that board for both of them?
Speaker 5: Pull?
Speaker 4: Plenty of room, plenty of room, plenty of room, So selfish crows.
Speaker 3: Poor Rose. What do you got for the crackstaff?
Speaker 1: Oh, crackstaff contacted me.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, because they kind of were a little weak last week.
Speaker 1: I thought they, like I said, the meat was good, the meat was strong, the bread was a little moldy. That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Still got hey, that's Norman Mailer's son.
Speaker 1: Careful, crackstaff is everywhere. Be careful. They deserve respect.
Speaker 3: Let's hope they brought it this time.
Speaker 1: Well they actually didn't notice anything. Oh no, what It's a perfect episode. There were no flaws.
Speaker 3: This was a great episode.
Speaker 1: It was yes, which helped influence my giving it a twelve, deducting two points and bring him back to it.
Speaker 3: We're going to just beg Kenny Ortega. He wants to do it. I think it's scheduling. Let's get him.
Speaker 1: He's a busy guy. He's flying around, he's making people's careers. Come on.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's, you know, good, good episode.
Speaker 2: I feel like we're getting that down the pop culture, getting it smooth, getting it smooth, and Scott, we need to talk about our idea.
Speaker 3: Do you remember our idea?
Speaker 1: You want to do what you did this to me last week, haven't?
Speaker 5: I know?
Speaker 2: I just want to keep the people excited that there's some good things coming up.
Speaker 1: What I oh that idea. Oh yes, do you know what I'm talking about? Yeah? Yeah, now I do.
Speaker 3: Okay, you know this? Did you see what I just did?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. I think that's going to be smooth sailing.
Speaker 3: Okay, good, good good.
Speaker 1: I don't think there's going to be any real complications at all.
Speaker 3: Wonderful. Talk to you all later.
Speaker 1: Because I because I floated it and they were all like you, oh, great, love it? Yeah, I love it all right, guys, that's going to do it. Thanks everybody for download and best fans on the planet. And remember wherever you are that sounded wherever you are.
Speaker 3: We're there too. If you have your phone, we're with you.
Speaker 1: Just remember every minute of the day we watch.
Speaker 3: Give us five stars. We're not mad.
Speaker 2: Maybe a nice nice keeps us around if you want us to get to seasons.
Speaker 1: We're part of the surveillance state. We're spying on everybody anyway, great episode, great pop culture boy, these are fun. Hi everybody, thanks for downloading. Best fans on the planet. We will see you next time for episode eight, Season five. The parties over all the best, Stay safe and remember I am all in.
Speaker 5: Bye bye hey everybody, and don't forget follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 1: Oh you're Gilmore fans. If you're looking for the best cup of coffee in the world, go to my website from my company, Scottip dot com s C O T. T y P dot com Scottip dot com Grade one Specialty Coffee