Speaker 1: This is Texans huddle, and this is gonna be a fun one because hey, it's me Drew Doherty. We got Travis Johnson two thousand and five first round pick of the Houston Texans. Played in the NFL for about a decade here and in San Diego with the Chargers.
Speaker 2: And to his right is right.
Speaker 1: Tackle George Fant George you ready, ready, you got a little teeny tiny taste of Travis and kind of who his personality is, what his personality is when you walked in. But first things first, how you feel in two days after a pretty darned impressive win on the road at Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: Man feels good. Man, come off a you know, second second win in a row. It feels good. So you know, I just go out there and played well, get a win.
Speaker 1: So and you're playing for a head coach and Dimigo Ryans who played played right behind this guy in Travis. What's what's it been like coming here? Because you've been in Seattle, you've been with the New York Jets, and now you're here. What's it been like playing for him? You've seen some different coaches in your time in the NFL.
Speaker 3: Man, I was just talking about that man, And I'm really enjoying myself. Man, my eight years in the league feel like I'm honestly having the best time in my career.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: You know, so, uh, you know, it's it's pretty cool to play for a coach like that, man who's been in been in it with, been in it before, played the game at high level, kind of understands the players a little differently, man. So so, like I said, I really enjoying myself having a really good time.
Speaker 2: There, Travis, how much does that matter?
Speaker 1: The understanding of the players, And after having gone through what Demiko went through? And you're the perfect guy to talk to about this because you know, played with the Miro and you've seen what's be going on.
Speaker 2: How big an impact can that be?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 5: I mean I always say, man, when you look at when you look at teams, teams are direct reflection of their leadership, and at the position coaches. You look at position coaches their directly reflection of the guy that's the leader in their room. And when you get guys like Demko, who once again when he was here, he was our he was our leader from the first day he got here, you know, so it's exciting to see you know, like when I saw him after the game and I seen them, you know, I just.
Speaker 4: It gave me.
Speaker 5: It gives me so much enjoyment when I see him, I see me, I see the kids, and just how we've all come, but how far he's come. And it's phenomenal to watch because I see the guys buying in.
Speaker 4: I see and they know it's not fake. You know. You know you've been around coaches.
Speaker 5: You know when you play long enough in the league where they might be friends with somebody else to get to get a job. You know, you see a guy who might not know as much as the eight year vet that sitting in the room, and they sitting there like, man, this is what we got to do. But when it comes from a guy like Miko, who learned the game from behind that face mask, it's a whole different ball game.
Speaker 1: And he just brought something up behind that face mask. There's a little tidbit. First thing, I've been here a while. I got here about four years after you, two thousand and nine, and one of the first things I learned was Demko Ryans had to get a new face mask installed on his helmet after every game. Yeah, he's bending it and cracking it and all that. Anyhow, what's it like right now? You guys are on a roll. I mean two in a row, Texans having won two hadn't had two game win streaks in a long, long time around here.
Speaker 4: It has been two thousand and would have been nineteen. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was the last time that happened.
Speaker 1: Had a three game win streak since eight team in the midst of the nine game win streak. But what's it like because you've been here since Week one before that really, but regular season wise, you guys are clearly taking massive, massive steps along the way.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: What I'll say, bro, I feel like not much it's changed, man. I think I think that's what makes this situation kind of dope. Man, Just like I think that guys are, you know, the same from from weak ones they are now. You know, I don't think anybody is like, you know, too high off the winds, you know, and after a loss, you know, it hasn't been too low. It's not a situation where guys where like people panning. I've been in situations where you lose a game, you lose two, and then it's panning mode. You know what I'm saying. People and that's when things go downhill. Man, I don't think it's ever been that, no waiver anybody in it in it's building, you know. So man, it's refreshing to be around that bro. It's like really refreshing to be around some people who you know, are the same way every single day, attacking the day the same every day. So I feel like the building right now is definitely on the you know, in the right path, and people are you know, thinking the right things, just you know, working with the guys every day and not changing up who they are.
Speaker 1: So all right, Travis quipping, So damn serious, let's have some fun on the show.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: My biggest thing is, you know, when I look at this team, I laughed because and I told Miko yesterday, I told cal, I told all I said, man, look right now, we easily get be seven to two facts, you know what I'm saying. And a seven and two team right now is scary, like to come off of what we've been through the last few years and the bs from top to bottom.
Speaker 4: And to see me go come in.
Speaker 5: When you get coaches like that, man, and you get people who seriously genuine man, you can't beat that man, and I think for me, I'm excited because I see, like you said, nobody gets too high, nobody gets too low. But you see how much they love winning and they love being around. Like when we had to running back kick the freaking field goal the other day, you know what I'm.
Speaker 4: Saying, And you did?
Speaker 2: You did you know he could do that?
Speaker 3: I didn't even notice who it was, so I was thinking it was gonna be Cam kicking. I didn't know, you know what I'm saying. I'm thinking, like, I'm like, man, why he ain't kicked the ball. I knew, I knew how he was hurt, but I didn't know that was you know else. No, I look back at him, like, oh yeah.
Speaker 5: And when I when I watched the clip Miko like they had they had the dual clip, Miko looking at it and him kicking it, and I watched Miko not get too high. But I've seen that smirk on his face, and it reminded me of when I when I used to tell him like random you know, I can't I don't know if he cares on this, but random stuff, you know exactly, that's on the other one, you know, random stuff in the game, and he gave me that smirk, like tighten up now, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: But no, but George, I got a quick question. What's up? Who like one on one game? You and your wife? Who wins?
Speaker 1: Okay, give a little background here that man, give a little background, George, tell us the audience.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I was a college basketball player. Four years of college basketball, switched over football.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying. You don't know I'm playing the.
Speaker 3: I played defense, but nah, so and then my wife is an All American basketall player, Like she killer, killer on that court.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: So she still plays now, like you know, requees and stuff like that. But she was don't don't listen, don't don't don't call it down now.
Speaker 5: She was the next Smith watch list. Person was up, was up for player of the year last year in school.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean, Like, hey, you god for the year, and she was. She was a dog. The question is with them kids, the kids gonna play.
Speaker 2: Football, the chosen ones, them kids?
Speaker 4: Because you know, I don't know your name. I was like, man, I breathed it because I tell you know what.
Speaker 5: It makes me so mad when you see guys with great genetics.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying, like this dude got little ankles. You know what I'm saying. You know, you know something, you know.
Speaker 3: You got to pick the right You got to pick the right partner. You can't go and find it because just because she to find this little short.
Speaker 4: Girl out of here. You can't listen.
Speaker 5: I dated the ones like that, and I'm like, man, listen, I love you, don't get me wrong, but we can't have no kid is together. You know, the Lord blessed me with great a first round DNA, and I gotta have somebody else next to him.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: I look at like my guy, Marcus Spears, who's on ESPN. Marcus married a basketball player, and right now, Marcus, his daughter is the number one volleyball player of classes twenty six or twenty four, whatever.
Speaker 4: Class is coming up. Yeah is she six foot fall? Like you gotta breache your kills. Yeah, I know something. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So my boys, I got two boys, seven and six, and I got.
Speaker 4: A little girl. My oldest he he got it. Man.
Speaker 3: He athlete, all three of my athletes. Man, but he basketball football. My daughter's basketball with my son, my middle son.
Speaker 4: He's like the polar opposite.
Speaker 3: He playing hockey right now ice hockey. So I'm excited about that man, because we just moved to Nashville, so he got to see the Predators a little bit. And then the school he goes to some of his some of the people in his classy hockey so and he told me he wanted to play. I was automatically excited because I like, I liked I just started Likeking hockey.
Speaker 2: Too, a tremendous athlete.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, So I'm like, man, let's do it.
Speaker 3: So he just started. He just learned how to ice skate. He just finished that. But the start of practice in a couple of weeks. So first year at it.
Speaker 5: I don't think people realize, like it's it's the lacrosse players and hockey players. How big some of them dudes nice too, and they made a little.
Speaker 2: Dudes and if they're good, they're shifting exactly.
Speaker 4: And when you see that, it's a whole different ball. Who was it? Popak Jones had had the son that was.
Speaker 5: Yeah, who was he was a basketball player's son?
Speaker 4: Black kid on the ice? I love it.
Speaker 5: PK Subband one of my favorites. PK Suban used to be out there like, you know, like who was it?
Speaker 4: Said?
Speaker 5: The entertainer said, you know, they let black people on ice, they didn't want to let us one because they out there with no with no stick, just.
Speaker 4: Out here out here hitting people, you know.
Speaker 5: And I think it's dope that she got him in there, man, because I used to play.
Speaker 4: I used to play street hockey.
Speaker 2: So you know he's from southern California.
Speaker 5: Okay, southern cal And so we moved out of Englewood. I moved to the predominantly white neighborhood, you know what I'm saying, And all the kids down in the cult to Sack will play hockey. And the first couple of times I'm out just running around with the stick. But you know, didn't have no skates. First thing I did. Man, hey I need some inline skates. I need to be able to inline skate.
Speaker 4: I need.
Speaker 5: I wanted to get out there. So I think that's super dope, man. I think we and the beauty of it, man, when you got kids, and you know this too, is that you get to watch them grow and you get to watch their past, the past they take. Like when my kid I got five of them and two boys. Probably my best athlete overall is probably my youngest daughter, my youngest son probably is the one who's gonna be the greatest out all of them.
Speaker 4: Because he just he just want them dudes. He's just a dude, you know.
Speaker 5: What I'm saying, means a rattlesnake all the time, and he's just he's just that guy, you know. But it's beautiful to watch him, to watch him grow. Man, that's dope. Man, I like that hockey. Man, that's cool. Why why Nashville, though, Why you pick Cashville?
Speaker 4: The move?
Speaker 3: So I'm I'm I'm from closer there. I'm like forty five minutes Kentucky.
Speaker 5: The first black dude I've met from Bone the Green real. Yeah, I mean I know, I know they're out there.
Speaker 3: But brothers, some hoopers out the We hoop. Yeah, that's what we do. Because because you went to what's the name, what's high school?
Speaker 4: You went to war Warriston. You always got good basketball, high school basketball.
Speaker 5: What I was in high school, I remember watching them come up, you know what I mean, Like, okay.
Speaker 4: All right, we hoop out of there. Man.
Speaker 3: So, so it's forty five minutes from from the crib man, So I was like, I want to be in a city, you know what, I'm saying I've been I've been in all these different cities and I can't go back to on to a small town. So and then I do a lot of work in Nashville too, So it was kind of kind of made sense for me.
Speaker 4: What so my my, I mean, I know we're getting off topic a little bit.
Speaker 1: But that's what we do on the ships, right tackle George fan as well.
Speaker 5: So, so my thing is you far enough, You far enough from the crib, and you ain't got to be your cousin.
Speaker 4: Stuff like coffee you pull up, no question, Yeah, just popping up. No, not forty five.
Speaker 3: I mean, I love my family. It's all good, it's all love. But they're gonna call man, it's all.
Speaker 5: Why you when you came down to your top five schools, did West Kentucky was at one of oll the schools to let you play both?
Speaker 4: So I didn't.
Speaker 3: So I never I've never played football, man, Like I tried to play football one year in high school because you didn't play football in college and I never played the last time I played football was like eighth grade, seventh grade, seventh grade.
Speaker 2: Never remarkable, So it's dope.
Speaker 3: So I tried to so my senior crazy story. Like my senior year, I all these different college I offers in basketball, like different different all kind of good ones, you know what I'm saying. So it's like my high school football coach is like, man, look, man, just come out and try it one time. Like don't just just come and give it a try, and give it a try. So like one of my best friends at the time, my point guard, he was a quarterback too, so he went back to play for a year. So I snuck out there, you know what I'm saying. Tell my parents, ain't tell nobody. I just after school. I just they usually think I'm working out basketball. I just skipped that with the full practice, you know what I'm saying. When out there in practice and stuff, had a really good practice, you know what I'm saying. It kind of came natural for me. And then uh my mom found out, like probably had practice, so she showed up. She drove her van on the field. On the field, bro Like literally they literally drove her van on the field.
Speaker 2: What the team do? How they react?
Speaker 4: They laughing?
Speaker 3: Man like to take this stuff off and getting the car about the coaches though everybody was so the coach at the time was a pastor and like he's a past or whatever.
Speaker 4: So he came on mind.
Speaker 3: He was like, man, his fans like I talked to God, Like he said, George need be playing football.
Speaker 4: She's like, I don't give it. I don't. You got this car.
Speaker 3: But what's funny is and we always joke about it, like he was right, man, you know what I'm saying. This whole time, I wish I had to play in high school, but I didn't play, man. So but going back to picking that school, man, it was like a hometown deal, like you know what I'm saying. Honestly, was about to go to Kent State. The committed there first, but then uh, you know, last minute, last minute decision, end up switching back.
Speaker 1: A few hours, a few hours west of Bowling Green though, right, Penn State. No, No, no, Western Kentucky where you want him?
Speaker 3: No? No, It's like literally, bro, like not even a mile to my high school on the campus.
Speaker 2: Are you serious? Okay, I walked my ignorant of geography right there.
Speaker 5: So that's my thing because I mean, I see it, and I guess for me, I played I hoop growing up, playing the A U circuit all that stuff. But it was always you're the biggest dude on the team or near the big you got to play down down low, and it's like a yeah, I played a little powerful. We got a nice little shot. But at the same time, nobody ever tears you. Like man, you've got these big bones, this big structure like basketball Lake Joe sports man.
Speaker 3: By Betweeno trying to get me to come out. Uh because he's a Louisville then he's at Westerns after.
Speaker 5: He fell off the can am he would never fell off.
Speaker 4: I don't still fell off. I don't think he ever fell on the screen. Is he got you know?
Speaker 3: But uh but but Bobby was trying to give me out there that uh will he tagger was trying to get me out there.
Speaker 4: Man, I'm glad.
Speaker 5: I'm glad you played for Willy Willy Terrible Willy my dog Will.
Speaker 4: I just really tagging man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, system everywhere. You know what I'm saying. You know, and it ain't I don't know. For me, it wasn't the system. It was the outside of stuff like that.
Speaker 5: Day to day the day I'm like, man, you like Florida boy is different than the boys in Kentucky.
Speaker 4: Like y'all got more disciplined I don't know. Man. Our whole team is from Florida and it's probably a bunch of undisciplined be you know what I'm saying. I ain't gonna lie. And they got some dudes up out of it. I don't know where they found them from.
Speaker 5: They can, they can bar because that's all they eat. Breech, sleep and use the bathroom football, you know what I mean. But when it comes time to when it comes time to, you gotta have At Florida State, when I was there, we had killer stills and drug dealers. You got to put You got to give them direction. And that's what everybody wants. And when we wh you go to practice, the music louder than than anything. And I'm like, it's cool to have music at practice. That's cool, you know what I mean. It was a change for us, old dudes. But at the same time, if I can't coach you up. That's one thing about football. If you make a mistake in practice, especially at the college level, you make a mistake in practice, you got to be able to correct him right now and give them that correction, give them that guidance. If you go back later on an hour or two hours later, and talk about it in the film study. It ain't nothing he could do to fix that, and he probably gonna forget about it next time he stepped on the field. And I just, you know, it's just it. Some of the stuff just bothered me.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 5: It was it was just and I hated it because I knew what it meant for the culture of black coaches, the opportunity, the opportunity and the gold of Tallahassee and not do well. It's said, I think it set a lot of coaches back for some years, you know what I'm saying. And because I wanted him to be successful too, you know what I'm saying. But it just was and when it when it started, when it started going downhill from day one, it.
Speaker 4: Was like, oh my goodness, what we're gonna do.
Speaker 3: But I feel it's one of situations too, Man. You had you had a school like Florida State, Man, and it has to be now. It ain't no, you know, no, no two through your plan, you know, especially in college football, Man, it's it's a now you always, especially and especially if you're a black coach. That's why I think that kind of played a part in it. Man, And bro I love Willie Man. I think I think Willy is a good coach.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: I just think that you know, situations will always work out for you.
Speaker 1: We got George right tackle for the Texans as the guests, as well as Travis Johnson, former Houston Texans, current Texans legend and ambassador Hey Bowling Green. It's really close to Nashville, like you said, it's also not too too far about three hours from Cincinnati. Was there were there some extra fans in the building on behalf of the fans on Sunday.
Speaker 2: What was that like?
Speaker 3: So originally I'm from Cincinnati, Okay, that was like a homecoming game for me.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: That's why I grew up most of my life and then moved to Kentucky after so Man, being able to go home, like my grandmother got to see me play, like, and all my family, my moms still live there, you know, so they all have to come down to the game, man, And that was a good opportunity for for all my family in Cincinnati. We've never been to a game to come see me play.
Speaker 2: So for both of you, I want to hear this.
Speaker 1: But starting with you, George, that post game experience right after you you've you've gotten dressed, in showered, you've done your media or whatever.
Speaker 2: You go out.
Speaker 1: What happens next when you're mingling with family and friends on the road, especially in a spot like that where you know you've got a pretty big continuent.
Speaker 4: Folks for me, you ever been, you've been before?
Speaker 2: I have.
Speaker 3: I love you know, it's this nice famous for the skyline. That's what I had. Right when they game over, I was like, loove, man, whatever y'all do. Make sure y'all bring me twenty coneyes in a three way and I'm good. You know what I'm saying. Like so, so they pull it up with the Conies. I got to I got to share with the old line who never had it. So so that was dope, man. But usually you know after the games, man, when you got family, there a whole lot of family. There's a good like I said, man, a lot of them people. You ain't seen itfever.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying. You hear every day for months.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying at the time, and then when you're not here, you in the off season, you training and you're traveling.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying, which immediate family.
Speaker 3: So it's a good opportunity to you know, see them, and especially for people who ain't seen you play and forever, you know what I'm saying. So it's a good time to go see them and get to you know, take pictures and they can meet other guys on the team who they you know, fans of and stuff like that. So and I know, guys on the team. I don't know how it was, you know, obviously, like if we're on the team and you know drav is great player, you know, one of my family members, going to meet him, it's always love.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it's a good opportunity for that too, man, and especially for the kids and select that too.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I mean.
Speaker 1: When you were was it the Chargers games on the road, when the Texans played there?
Speaker 3: Was that the biggest Those were Those were my Those were my biggest because yeah, you remember, so for me was you know, I left when I left home at seventeen to go two thousand, nine hundred and seventy eight miles away from the house.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying. That's crazy, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Like that that was it was different and nobody did it. And then I I the part that wasn't that part that was terrible. Was my parents only could come to one or two games at Max, you know, every year, you know what I mean. And so going home to the Chargers game, you know, the first time we went, I think that was was it right after it right after the big fire out there?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: And so Jay Bird, who was our equipment guy, he had a bunch of Texans shirts and jerseys printed up for me. So I gave it to all the families so that everybody had it on. And you know, after the game, you give some you know, get gains because I had to buy one hundred tickets. But I told everybody, hey, listen, you come up with half. I pay for the rest of it, because I just you know, if you want to come nothing, I ain't giving you nothing.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 5: But what I but what I ended up really doing was I gave all the bread that they gave me. I gave it to the younger cousins, you know what I'm saying, the ones who never really ever seen me play, the ones who never was able to do that.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: But I think the thing you said that was probably the like where it gave me chills because my grandmother never got to see me play except for on the TV that was sitting on top of her, you know, because she was always either too sickly just too old to travel like that for for a game, you know what I mean, even when she came here, you know, for when I'm when I was playing home games when she was still alive, it was, you know, she's too old and too frail to take her and try to get her through the chaos of a stadium game.
Speaker 4: That yeah, So that I think that was.
Speaker 5: I don't think not until because I don't know how old your grandma, your granny is. Yeah, my granny was was late eighties, you know what I'm saying, almost ninety years old, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: And it was so for me.
Speaker 5: It's like, I don't think until you know, twenty years from now she passed. I don't think you really truly appreciate how dope it is for the kids to be around your around your grandmother, they great grandmother, and for her to be able to see her baby, who she probably probably was her favorite out of all these grandkids, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: And excuse my.
Speaker 5: Grandmama, cheating boy is different, you know what I'm saying, And it just I remember her just even like when my granddaddy passed, like she gave all us twenty dollars, you know what I'm saying, Like, hey man, this was this was just hanging around the house and it just was to me, Like, man, I get chills just thinking about my grandmama never got to see me place. I can only imagine how much pride. Like you gotta think like if like my parents, my family immigrants, you know what I'm saying, from Panama, his family from from the States, probably you know what I'm saying, So you got to think about it. His grandmama, her grandma probably was a slave or went through you know, tough times. And to see and to see the maturation of my family to say, we got this dude up here who's doing big things against all odds in our family, Like look how far we come in a hundred years, Look how far our our families come. And I think that to me is the special stuff, Like when you really get to break down like like we are. I mean, it's thirty thousand of us to ever play the eighteen thousand of us still living, you know what I'm saying. And the same man, my baby, my grandchild is the one percent of the one percent. I think it gives them pride that I don't think people I don't think people even realize how much pride that gets you later on, especially for the older family members, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: No doubt in fact.
Speaker 1: And I guess you're in a sense you're looking forward to when the Texans play at Nashville at the Titans in a few weeks, you know what a month. I mean, that's that's gonna be almost as equal.
Speaker 3: Right, that's gonna be that one right there is gonna be crazy because like like I said, man, I grew up in that town of Bowling Green after LI Cincinnati and like high school, college, you know, and even like now, like I just moved from there, I still got the house there, you know what I'm saying. So I know for sure there's gonna be a lot of a lot of fans coming from from Bowling Green to that game. The games packed for us.
Speaker 4: So how big the house with that in Nashville, I know it's huge, spread out.
Speaker 5: Listen, I know the boy lived like country singers out there, man.
Speaker 1: The audio version of Cribs that mean over.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying, like I got the old boy Chris Hold Chris Hope live in Nashville. He played, but he played for the Titans. But he played for the Steelers in Atlanta. But he's from rock Hill. You know what I'm saying. It was right down the road and he got man. First time walked into his I said, man, I thought would be a grip. Well you got a spread.
Speaker 4: Out of it. Yeah, I'm staying with him the means, but it's it's straight.
Speaker 1: Was the one It was the one luxury, the one thing you really really want. I want this in my house or I want this. What was the one thing that you had?
Speaker 3: It's not in my house, but it's you know there, but uh.
Speaker 4: My simulator, my golf simulator.
Speaker 3: And uh yeah yeah, I had to do the golf simulator. And then I got like a so I got my weight room. But it's like it has like a rooftop to it, and I have a chipping and putting the area outside I can like chip off the So you a golfer, so you like I just got into Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I remember my first golf Did you play in textan tournament?
Speaker 4: I didn't, So that was the first.
Speaker 5: That was my first experience with golf hook and I was stuck. I was, but I love the game, but I hate it, like because he's like, it's how can I could do all this?
Speaker 4: But I can't control this a little ball to do what I needed.
Speaker 3: Because you, like, I mean, because I was just starting off, I was the same way. I'm like, I'm an athlete, Like, I know I can do it.
Speaker 4: I gotta.
Speaker 3: I gotta swing the club as hard as I can, like all this stuff.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: Once I started learning and started playing my grandfather a little bit, I started learning a little bit, like just like finesse, and just like the less not like the like, the less you put into it, the more you're gonna get out. Okay, now I'm hooked.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: So like, who's the best golf from the team right now?
Speaker 4: Is it? Man?
Speaker 3: I don't know, Man, I heard, I heard he's like that. I played with h I played with Michael Dieter one time.
Speaker 4: He's solid here, really good player.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: I want to play with a few guys I ain't really played.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: I ain't got to go out there a whole lot of guys yet.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: But man, first I was playing on every off day, every Tuesday. I'm out there. I'm at the was Wow, I played, I played the course, played the lakes.
Speaker 2: Okay, you like that one?
Speaker 3: I thought I did every time I hit the ball. Okay, it's a nice shot. I'll get down there at water. I can't even see the water. You guys, you gotta play the highlands. So we start, we start playing. You gotta because the lakes is long drive. But there's water here, water there, water.
Speaker 4: In spots man. So I was I lost.
Speaker 3: I think I went through a whole pack man, like I had at least go through twelve balls. Man, I'm like this crazy.
Speaker 2: He just made Travis. He just made me.
Speaker 1: Uh you me and my my eyes perk up when you said you're the first golf experience was here, oh five. So he most likely was at this tournament. And I think, if I'm guessing, President George H. W. Bush probably was in a car mighty have played a guy named James Baker who was like secretaries, he did everything in politics.
Speaker 2: He's still live, still was real powerful guy. He was probably there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, those those were first and I remember so so Bob was so like we show up and this was, you know, texting Urnam. I don't know, like I said, I don't know if you went this year, but like, uh, and what it used to because all of us when I first hear the team was so young, all of us lived here, so and the tournament used to be like I think during OTAs or one of them times, and we all went out and you know, we showed up just to come show up and be around the people. And I remember I showed up in Shorees T shirt, my little polo and some and some fresh new ones, and Bob was like, you're gonna play. And I'm sitting there like, man, but I don't know.
Speaker 4: How to play. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: He literally had to me his club and and I'm sitting on the drive. I'm sitting on the driving range, you know the one right out front, and just driving the ball going everywhere.
Speaker 4: I literally left there in a soaking sweat.
Speaker 5: I'm like, man, I'm but I left there and went and bought me a brand, brand, whole set and they was out. They was like, what you want, I said, man, shootin the maids.
Speaker 4: Man, I need the best thing right, give me the saint swinging I want. I don't know that, don't know.
Speaker 2: What are you still? Are you still on your first pair of clubs.
Speaker 3: Or no, no, no, So I so I'm on my third set right now.
Speaker 4: What you swing?
Speaker 3: Callaway a pas right now? At the clubs you.
Speaker 5: Use the NFL discount to get the cot making sure, let me get that off yeah.
Speaker 3: And then and then I got the h I got the for I got my drivers. Was it pined three twenty G three twenty five?
Speaker 4: I think it is. I think that's what it is.
Speaker 3: And uh so I got my driver the pin. But I'm not to probably get a new set though.
Speaker 5: Man see my second So at the time, I'm responsored by Nike.
Speaker 4: So Nike used to have clubs. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So we used to buy the clubs all night. You know they're given us twenty thirty thousand years.
Speaker 2: Tiger Woods Rock.
Speaker 3: We heard the Nike joints is nice.
Speaker 4: They don't make them no more. They all blaze. Is funny. You can get them offline. I think I want to.
Speaker 3: I want to get I want to get a set, just like I have a pair of man have a set of them. But yeah, but I'll have to get them in there and get it extended.
Speaker 1: So the driving range, the golf set up is that's the big thing at your Do you have a basketball court?
Speaker 3: I do?
Speaker 2: How how nice is that?
Speaker 4: Half court?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 4: Half court?
Speaker 2: Glass backward?
Speaker 3: Uh nah, just I think it's just regular. So we're installing that right now. But gotcha the basketball basketball court, and then.
Speaker 1: You gonna painted up at all, have a have a lane or anything or with what you gotta paint up.
Speaker 3: The Yeah, yeah, we're gonna do it. It's like a little towels, like little towels, a little court. Yeah, okay, it's perfect and you can use it for that, and then you can use it for all kinds of different stuff too.
Speaker 1: So all right, we got right Tackle George Fan as well as Travis Johnson, former Texan. We're going to take a break here on Texans Huddle. We'll be right back and just a bit stick with us. Welcome back at segment two of Texan's Huddle. Normally this is Indy Kalu's show. I'm Drew Doherty. That's Travis Johnson, former Houston Texan, and we've got right Tackle George Fan joining us this week. We were talking golf, we were talking basketball, we were talking family. George is a Kentucky guy. He was born in Cincinnati and.
Speaker 2: You are on a roll. This team is on a roll. CJ.
Speaker 1: Stroud on a roll. What's it been like blocking for that guy up front?
Speaker 3: Man, it's different, bro. Like I played with some really good quarterbacks. Yeah, you know what I'm saying. I played with a really good one of course in Seattle. It's not even my favorite, man, just yeah, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: It's just just the poise he has, like the command that he has a He's a natural leader. You just know what you're getting. And I think the number one thing that I think I like the most about him bo is just how consistent he is and attention to detail he is about things. Man, I think to be able to really good in his leagues, you know, like you can have a good game, to have two good games, but to be consistent every week and you know, like what you're gonna get at this person that that's uh, that's rare in this league.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: That keeps you in this league for a long time.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't. I'm sorry I said, but I don't know another quarterback in the league playing better than c J. You know what I'm saying. You turn to turn the film on. You don't see it. You know what I'm saying. So bro like just just the way he plays. And then I think for us upfront, man like just the the probable we take, keep them clean.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh, guy's playing at a high level right now. Uh, you know, so I'm having a really good time. I'm really enjoying myself.
Speaker 1: You guys went through a three game stretch earlier this year where he did not get sacked. It's never happened in franchise ever. And there's been some good offensive line.
Speaker 4: You have some great off more.
Speaker 5: I guess starting in six right the old line got started, they started really being an old line.
Speaker 2: Dane Brown fantastic left.
Speaker 5: Everything from staying the Brown, d Brown different was a different cat man. Yeah, like from the I remember I remember himbers the rookie. I laughed because you know, I came back. I came back. I think this was like this my sixth seventh year, and I came back. We charged, got traded charger. We played against him and mess around got hurt because I got.
Speaker 4: I got.
Speaker 5: We run they run the zone and I got and I got Dee Brown out and I'm just I'm and I'm playing. I'm staying in my whole Dee Brown hit my arm. It did, and all of a sudden, I said, damn, he wasn't that strong when he when I was in before, like he just was. It was so crazy, like how he just he kept on getting better and better and better. And I mean, Dee Brown still got a job in the league and this is what it's gotta be.
Speaker 4: Fourteen.
Speaker 2: He's a little bit like you. He had a tight end background.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, and a basketball Have you ever seen the play back? He got some real game.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, yeah, all right, we got right tackled George Fan as well as Travis Johnson, former Texan. Speaking of hoops again, I Stroud. I was talking with Noah Brown, who that's a guy who's exploded in the last four games injury. I was talking with him. He played hoops in high school, and I was like, okay, who else? Uh, who's your starting five? If it's you and just other Texans, you were the first guy chose. Stroud was the second, and he couldn't come up with two others. So he's like, I'll make it a three on three team. But Stroud and hoops. You talk talk basketball with him?
Speaker 4: Ever? Yeah? Hoop?
Speaker 3: I don't know for sure, right you guys, he's seen his highlight tape. I've seen his highlight tape as as a as a as a hooper, like I know, hoop when I see when he can hoop, shoot, he can shoot.
Speaker 2: What was your first impression of him? Just in general?
Speaker 1: And I'm not talking about watching him at Ohio State or any of that, but like when you get here in the building, first impression, how'd that go?
Speaker 2: What was it?
Speaker 4: Man? It was cool? Man.
Speaker 3: I think he just you know, I said, like right right away and it came it to me, you know, introduced himself and just like right away, he was pretty cool man, right from the jump.
Speaker 4: Man. You know, wasn't no, wasn't no like no ego anywhere anything like that. Man.
Speaker 3: So I think, you know that's why all the guys how they all were when I first got here, man, So you know you first get here, I got here kind of late, you know, I get here in the summer, like I think the week before like the training camp started a week training camp, you know. So uh, you know, I think when I first got here, man, I got the whole the whole building was just like embracing right right away. Man, and just like called me up the speed and all the stuff, and and it was like right from the jump, man, I just kind of hit the ground running from there.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: So it was a you know, great, great first impression from from everyone.
Speaker 1: Here, right tackle George Fan as well as Travis Johnson former Texan Travis.
Speaker 2: I got one more.
Speaker 1: I want you to jump in on this one though. You get here, and this is a unique locker room. It's never been like this here. You're not necessarily just with the old lineman or just with the offense. It's offensive and defensive next to each other.
Speaker 2: And I don't know that. Did you ever have that elsewhere in the locker room? Who's not who's next to you on either side?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, so it's uh JJ the running back is next to me. He just from from the Patriots.
Speaker 1: Like for example, Xavier Hutchinson, he's a rookie receiver. He's next to Jake Hanson the linebacker, and Henry to Ote.
Speaker 5: Well I think that for me, I guess for me it was different because, yeah, our locker room used to be split. You know, he used to be the all line on it, I mean, offense on this side, defense on this side. But I was fortunate that my my two lockers was actually directly on the line. So Chester, Chester and Ephraim were my two locker mads on this side.
Speaker 4: And then I had I had who was it right next to me?
Speaker 2: Chester good offensive line and.
Speaker 5: Like Chester played every single snap for nine straight years starting from first nine years to tam And then that's a whole nother story because he wanted to fight Sherian with Sheron pulled him out in that game too. Yeah, so I had I had two on linemen here. Then I had two d linemen right here, so it was you know, I kind of got the best. Well, I guess what it is now, you were just good, But this is hot. But I think that's I think that's I think it's nice because it gets you. You gotta understand, like if I can like another guy on the other side of the ball, because a lot of times, yeah, we might be co workers, but I really don't know you like that because you're on office building.
Speaker 4: I'm on defense side of building.
Speaker 5: On Thursdays, the defensive line goes out, the linebackers go out to DB's the whose officeve line, they do their thing that you know they go to. They do all of their stuff, They got their own little fine pots, they got everything, you know what I mean. So I think if you when you intermingle with everybody, I think it's dope for camaraderie.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying. I think it takes to hold the level.
Speaker 5: Because now if I'm sitting next to George and I know and we're talking, you know, because even though we might not be in the locker room a lot, it's just sitting down, even putting your clothes on, we just mad housing. What you got insur this weekend, what you did this, and you're talking about your kids, and now you more invested in those guys. I can't tell you when I was here what Zach Wiegert and the rest of them cats was doing.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I couldn't tell you because they wasn't necessarily on our side. We wasn't on they side, We wasn't sharing different And so, like Mick, Chester had been business partners for a long time because of that relationship of being right next to each other. And lord knows what them guys can do being next to each other every single day.
Speaker 1: And yeah, what I mean, have you ever encountered that in your career is it has been kind of like what he's talking about.
Speaker 3: I think I think two things. I think it's either I think COVID had a part of that, you know, I think that, Uh, when I was in Seattle, it was it was that, you know, offensive line, defensive line, you know, whatever how that goes. And then I think when COVID happened, you didn't want guys like we both play off the line. I have COVID, you don't want to, you know what I'm saying, so infect the whole room kind of deal. So it's like they started mixing matching.
Speaker 2: So you've you've experienced this before.
Speaker 3: I was in New York, So I thought that was either that or also, uh, you know, I don't know if it's like a San France thing because Solid had it the same way in New York where it was just like all you know, but I can see how it's I could see how, you know, you get you get the opportunity to meet different people like you know that that you're not gonna be around every single day, Like I'm not around j J every single day, and now I wouldn't be around every single day if it wasn't for him being next to me in the locker room. You know what I'm saying, So uh kind of like you said, man, kind of gives you a little skin of the game with everybody in the in the locker room. And note that you said that, Like how like you and Chester still you know what I'm saying. That's like, I still don't understand how Like it's all these millionaires in the locker room and nobody nobody worked together, like you got an opportunity a network with other like with the top one percent in the world.
Speaker 4: And you're not You're not doing you know, And I think and.
Speaker 3: I'm like an advocate that I'm always in the locker room talking about what I'm doing.
Speaker 1: Like, Okay, Travis Johnson here on Texans Huddle. Will be right back with one final segment. Okay, one final segment of Texans Huddle with right tackle George Fan as well as Travis Johnson. We got into some fun stuff in the last segment. Let's look ahead to the Arizona Cardinals. I know you guys haven't dug into them too much film wise. We do this on a Tuesday, you guys get going on a Wednesday. But first impressions of them. You got to know a little something about him after being a Seahawk for all those years. What do you think of when you think of the Arizona Cardinals.
Speaker 3: Man, I think of you know, they're a historically been a solid team that right now they're in a situation where they don't have a lot, you know, a whole lot to lose getting guys back. You know, they got Kyler back now and I just come off of win and then you know, I think for us, it's a it's a time of do not relax, you know what I'm saying, Like, we can't. We can't relax going into this week.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: We got to take advantage of the role that we're on and you know, take advantage of being able to feed off of one hundred and fifty yard rushing.
Speaker 2: And yeah, oh my, how did that happen? How did that happen?
Speaker 3: I just think that, you know, up front, we you know, I think L T like l T and then Shack and then tie and then you know, myself and all of us we talked about it, bro like you know this this is the time of year, man, Like you're talking about ale. Few guys who's played in a lot of you know, a lot of playoff games. You know, some guys played in a lot of playoff games. Some guys been in the league for a while. If you can, if you can run the ball around the time of the year, if you can start getting the ball being run, the ball run the time of year, it.
Speaker 5: Get this when the when the weather get cold, please believe they gonna run that rock.
Speaker 4: You can it off.
Speaker 1: But so he runs it thirty times one hundred and fifty yards. But you guys still hit all those explosives down the field with not just no brown but adult I mean, you.
Speaker 4: Still get and that that's and.
Speaker 5: That's that's the key is that everybody always everybody always sit there and be like they enamored with the quarterback play, you know what I'm saying, which we all are.
Speaker 4: I mean, they want the thing the thing that we watching CJ. You know what I'm saying. But is especially it's never been done before in this league. It was never been seen before.
Speaker 5: So everybody, of course, you can be all in, but let's not forget the catalyst for all of it. The catalyst is you got to be able to run the ball. Because I don't care who you are.
Speaker 1: And the guy that we're enamored with it you're talking about and you bring up catalysts. The guy that we're talking about, c J.
Speaker 2: Stroud.
Speaker 1: The first thing he says is, well, I'm I'm going as my line goes, and he's.
Speaker 5: Because one thing about good quarterbacks, they understand that they appreciate. That's why the old line always for for the history of the game, always gets the best gifts at Christmas.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, what is the best gift from a quarterback?
Speaker 3: Looking back on it, man, Like at the time, I was just I didn't understand it. But my boy Rust came through with the you got the deal in Seattle. He gave all of us, uh some shares and Amazon Wow. Okay, so I got those and then I think, uh, last year, Zach Wilson, I got us some like scooters or some stuff like that. So I think my favorite gift has been the stock.
Speaker 5: Yeah, of course, because because forever you can pass those downs.
Speaker 3: And even the fact that it's like how many shares it is just the fact that it's like it's something like once again you get the wheels turning, like you know what I'm saying, Like it's an opportunity for goods never even had a stock, so now they know what it is.
Speaker 4: And now now you're checking it every day.
Speaker 3: Anybody your first stock is like golf, you get what can I do to get better than that?
Speaker 4: Right? Because automatically he gave you the stock.
Speaker 3: Now you automatically got to go find an advisor because you don't know what to do, you know what I'm saying. So like now you know what I'm saying. It's just all kinds of different things, man, But uh, I think that's my favorite. One kind of got the wheels turning for me.
Speaker 5: So yeah, but I mean but the run game, the way they the way they methodically ran that, like, that's one of them.
Speaker 4: So Rush is right there, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: And when I watched the game, and I watched Grave Dave Man, I watched, so I watched DJ get frustrated because he's watching these dudes that may necessarily ain't playing to try to play to his level with and DJ d a dog.
Speaker 4: Yeah you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: And for DJ to even not have a phenomenal game and you and we've done if you watch this old line, this old line has been all year long, especially early with the injuries and the piece together.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: But I think rooms like O line and D line, we thrive off of that. We thrive off of the adversity of you know what, they don't believe in us. You know what I'm saying, We gonna sit there and we gonna grind the sucker out.
Speaker 1: Right tackle George Fan as well as Travis Johnson former Texan George, How special was it for you knowing that you guys were able to do that what he's talking about, seeing all the different guys that came through upfront for you this season. You you've been there pretty much all the way throughout. Yeah, there's been some mixing and matching.
Speaker 3: If you look back, if you go back and look at uh first couple of weeks, man, we had guys that didn't they didn't play, and then once we kind of got it going, I'll say, like week three we kind of got it going. I think that may have been a start.
Speaker 2: That at Jacksonville explored all life that may have.
Speaker 3: Been started at No Sacks. So I think you know that situation of when Josh came in, he stepped into the plate he had to play two different positions and that in those three weeks, you know, and then a D came in. He stepped into the plate, mixed Kendrick Green. We all you know what I'm saying, Like right away, Man, it was an opportunity for us to be like, look, Bro, it's a lot of guys who either bounced around the league, guys didn't believe in GMS, didn't believe in us is and that here you go whatever, and then you look up and then you get tightest back who's who's been bro, Like you know, at the end of the day, man like Titus deserves all the praise, man, because he's took He's took a like such a huge sacrifice, you know what I'm saying, to go inside when he didn't have to do that, you know what I'm saying, And then to be paid and then to like happened to a situation where like he had to go and they asked me going inside again, Like you know what I'm saying, Just for a guy to be like, man, whatever we're gonna do to win, bro, Like you know what I'm saying, Like I've never seen that, Like Yad should be like, man, I'll move my position to win.
Speaker 4: Games, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: And so he's as hungry to win games as anybody in this build. He's been here for five years. He want to go. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Tell the people the difference, because I don't think people understand outside the inside a go from left to right. Yeah, it's like the equivalent of like if you're right handed bringing something.
Speaker 4: Up with your left. You know what I'm saying, It's not easy. You know what I'm saying, it's not easy, man.
Speaker 3: And like and that dude right there mans like working at it like every day, like working at it man like, no frustration, no nothing, bro like, just just working man like, ultimate team guy.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 3: Like the dude wants to win, you know what I'm saying. So like he's the I think he's a catalyst of this whole line of like being able to go in there.
Speaker 4: And go do that.
Speaker 5: What what does it do for the confidence of an old line like when you got when you got a guy behind you like seven and you say, you know what, as long as he got the rock back there, we're gonna be all right. But what does it do when you know you can depend on him on that On that end, how much conference does it give you in the run game to say you know what we are?
Speaker 4: Because I just and I keep going back.
Speaker 5: To reflection of leadership because confidence, and I tell my kids, is all the time. Confidence is not even sent of the battle. Talent is the next ten percent. You know what I'm saying. Because if you believe, you know what I'm saying. If you believe and you got a skill set, it goes a whole other level, you know what I'm saying. But if you don't believe, no matter how much skill set you got, it won't get you anywhere.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Because that confidence is you know, when you were playing basketball, you bigger than everybody else. You were, you know, you might have been fastening everybody else.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you work.
Speaker 5: But the confidence that I have in myself, that that right there is not measured. You see what I'm saying. So the confidence y'all have for seven and the confinience y'all have for each other, I mean, what.
Speaker 4: Is it like?
Speaker 5: And I don't even know what I'm trying to ask, but what does it do for y'all in the total game?
Speaker 4: Because I watched this.
Speaker 5: I watched these guys and once again, this has been a mixed Max bunch. Yeah you got a couple first round picks in there, Yeah you got some talent in there. But these guys are a journeyman.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Who brings a whole different who brings George, He brings a whole different mindset.
Speaker 3: The whole offense. Man, You look a look at the offense. Man you got you got guys who got a lot of proof.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: Like I was just talking about how we don't have I don't want to tuck a number one, but we don't have like a guy that you gotta we gott to force the ball to. It's like, bro CJ can just like he don't have to be like I gotta get this gouta get just do the ball.
Speaker 4: Bro.
Speaker 3: It's like he gonna he gonna find the open person and they're gonna make a play. And when it's time for your number to be called, make him play. And that's what we've been doing.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: I was just making plays all around the whole offense.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: It's like, we're not forcing the ball to one person. We're not doing this, We're not doing that. Bro, we're just like we're going to play football, We're doing it by committee.
Speaker 5: I'll be remissed as a D lineman if I don't talk about what the boys did up front this weekend. Yeah, please go watch that twenty two cut up of the past rush that was going on, and please go see what Sheldon Rankers was out there doing. He was out there putting on clinic work.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 4: Even on that defense, dudes, black committee.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like it's like on that defense, like Migo's bringing guys in who like who fit his game. You know what I'm saying, Like I was I played with Rank in New York, so I know what Rank possible.
Speaker 4: I played.
Speaker 3: I played against Rank in New Orleans. You know what I'm saying, Like Rank still got that.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Health, You know what I'm saying. And then I think, you know for j G. Man, it's like, Bro, like I got to I got to see his like game. It's like it's like his game has changed, man, Like I've played I played him a couple of years ago, and he's a different player, right, Like you know what I'm saying, Like he's he's a problem right now, man, like I know for short time watching that film, like no question, and then you know you gotta do like will Bro like bro. But when he like when he gets it, like when he like bro the way he plays like so like so hard bro, when he like starts adding to his bag, no question, And I don't think it's gonna take long.
Speaker 4: No, he's not gonna take long either, man.
Speaker 3: But just like through that whole front, bro, like those dudes, Bro, like just these last four games, go back and watch them, bro, like that, that whole front and then the back end too.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of guys who banged up, and they're throwing different guys in there, and they're making plays kill Griffin, making.
Speaker 4: Plays like this guy's huge bit guys.
Speaker 3: Bro, I'm telling you, bro, like it doesn't matter who it is right now, Gods is making plays.
Speaker 1: Right tackle George Fan. If you've just been following the Texans, you're excited. If you're old like me and been here since two thousand and nine covering the Texans, you're excited. If you played for the Texans starting in two thousand and five, you're try like Travis Johnson, you're excited. Everybody else excited it's fun, fun times.
Speaker 2: George.
Speaker 1: We really do appreciate you coming on traps. It's awesome being with you as always.
Speaker 4: I appreciate.
Speaker 1: I wish we could do about four more hours of this, and I think George would too. We're getting kicked out of the studio, so we gotta go, but to all of you who listened, we appreciate that and we will talk to you again until next time.
Speaker 2: Go Texans.