Speaker 1: My name is Clay Neukleman.
Speaker 2: This is a production of the Bear Grease podcast called The Bear Grease Render, where we render down, dive deeper, and look behind the scenes of the actual bear Grease podcast, presented by f HF Gear, American Maid, purpose built hunting and fishing gear that's designed to be as rugged as the place as we explore.
Speaker 3: Welcome to at Oklahoma.
Speaker 2: Welcome to ad to Oklahoma. That's right, you know what to do. Yeah, Welcome to the bear Grease Render. This is an unusual render. We're in the field and where are we at?
Speaker 3: Justin aight, Oklahoma, the Oklahoma Muleshell.
Speaker 1: To Mule Sale. Yes, sir, So, I've got to my left.
Speaker 2: Right here, I've got Justin Kelso, who's whose family has been involved in this mule sale since the beginning. Y'all say yes. And then to your left is Max Bishop. I just met today, but I've known about you for years from Arkansas.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're still trying to sign if it's infamous or famous, we're not sure. Definite influence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, Justin tell us what we're watching. So if you're watching on YouTube, you're gonna see you're gonna see us talking about. You're also going to see an arena with some mules out there.
Speaker 1: Tell us what this is yesterday, what this is?
Speaker 4: We started, We started a catalog or a consignment portion of this sale, so you can have a preview of the mules at home. That's at least that those are coming here. Plus whatever else is checked in is open consignment after these. And when we've done that, we decided these mules, if you're gonna come here expecting to get more money, instead of ragging on how broke the r list, show how broke they are. So we very simple trail course, got a few obstacles, nothing, nothing too scary, nothing too serious. Every year we had or take away something. It's just to show how broke your mule is. I mean it is sitting and everything you encounter. I mean, we've got pool noodles here. I've been riding a lot in the back country and the trail riding, I've never encountered to pull the noodle away from that.
Speaker 2: What they've got is they've got a little a little rack with pool noodles hanging down from it on strings, and you ride your mule through the pool noodles. And if you've ever been around equan animals, you know that they're they're prone to be scared of us about anything.
Speaker 4: And while this is a judged course, we give a prize to the winners and that kind of thing, it's not so much to when the trail course is to sell your mule.
Speaker 1: And so today's Thursday, A look.
Speaker 5: At this one here, that's coal trains. Now he's gonna have a really quality mealtl.
Speaker 1: Your mic up a little bit mix. Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 5: Okay, so that's coltrain mule. Come now, see like it's a little thing. But so when you go down there and you get mounted on, well he stood on that block, snapped his fingers, that muil side passed over and picked him up. So what that tells us is, though not only is this mule gentleman, but like he's actually taken tom to actually trained this mual. He's invested some times, he raised it. It's out of his own stock.
Speaker 4: So this is.
Speaker 5: Gonna be one of the things. You know, he's cold trained mules, he's well known. And so he's showing what he's spent like probably a year on this meal doing to bring to this cell to get the maximum amount of money.
Speaker 3: And so that's.
Speaker 2: Course, today's Thursday, Saturday is the sale. So Saturday there's a live auction and we've we've already talked about that on some on the past Baggaries podcast. But but so this guy right here, where's he from in northern Missouri?
Speaker 4: I forget exactly what he's up around Columbia. I think in that area. Kevin cole Trane. His wife is Brandy. They've been coming here for a while and they go to all the other sales too, and they'll have two three and never sail. Like Max said, ninety percent of them they raised. They've known these mules all that. They don't they like I sell off my form. They generally don't like. As a matter of fact, I just had some people come buy some mules from me. They tried to buy these mules from him last week and he wouldn't tell them me, saying they're already in sell, they're consigned, we can't sell them. And he actually told them to come down there and see what I had. So he don't want to deal with the public, and so he can consign them to the kelso Sell and the Kelselos are gonna market them nationally.
Speaker 5: They're gonna have an internet, you know, so you people are gonna be here, but it's also on the internet. And so this guy can get the maximum amount of money for his mule without having to deal with the public.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's a huge advantage of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and yeah, Max, tell me tell everybody what you do, what you're.
Speaker 3: I deal with the public?
Speaker 2: Well, no, but I mean you're a mule You're you're you're a mule man. You sell mules for a living and have for a long time.
Speaker 5: Well, the easy ones. Or if I buy this mule and all I have to do is to be able to outmarket Coltrane, he's already.
Speaker 3: Done all the work.
Speaker 1: You're gonna buy at his top.
Speaker 5: But then I'm going to out market him well because he don't want to deal with the public.
Speaker 4: And I will know that MAT's supposed likely has customers he sold were his mules to before. Yes, I phone, Hey, I got another co train mule for you, exactly the mule sold I.
Speaker 3: Mean over a phone call.
Speaker 4: It probably gets it done right away, right if the mule fits what the guys are woman's looking for.
Speaker 5: So we I have mules that's never been rolled before, and we'll get them we'll have to do the full process. But you're talking about months of time of training, and then you've got I've got mules that I'll get that maybe they've let it get buddy sour and maybe it has something problem. We'll have to fix a specific problem and then we can sell it. Sometimes we buy the mules from the Amish, and again they've done a lot of the work. They just don't have Facebook, so we can we can out market them. So I do everything from marketing them to just the full on training them to fix the problems. But like in this case that this celle while I'm here, like Jody and Justin's and Johnny sell is that there will be quality mules like col trains that he won't sell you off the forum and I can come here and buy them and then I can market them.
Speaker 3: And put the work.
Speaker 4: In the same instance, on the flip side of what Kevin doesn't want to deal with the public, you have people wanting to buy meals that don't want to come to the auction. They want to deal with Max or Justin or Jodi or Johnny call whatever the case may be. Yeah, they don't want to they don't want the fast thinking auction style, so Max can They're gonna pay Max at premium.
Speaker 5: They know they're paying him a premium, okay, and they can come to they can ride it two or three days, whatever they want to do. I got really good trails in my house. There's twenty one thousand acres right across the road from me, and they instead of saying they got two minutes to bid, they can come down there and they can ride it. Make sure this mule likes them, it fits them, and that they can do.
Speaker 1: What do you call yourself if somebody says, what do you.
Speaker 3: Do for a list MYX Special Meal company?
Speaker 1: Well, but I mean, like like an elevator pitch. Would you say you're a mule trader? Would you say you're mual salesman.
Speaker 2: Would you say, well, there's other people like you in the country that you buy and sell mules.
Speaker 3: Well, my deal was I used to train mules and horses for the public. That's all I did. So I was a trainer.
Speaker 5: But then you got to deal with these people don't ride, they're not putting their time in, they're not investing in theirself. So you'll get their mule trained or their horse training, and then they still suck it riding, and so then they're blaming you, and then they want a video every day and you're on their time schedule, and like what how's my mule doing? And they wanted it all done in thirty days. Well, when I finally had enough money and stuff set up where I could just I can pick out the quality mules that I want, I know what, it's a good mule. I can pick out the ones that I want to train, I want to work with on my time and my schedule, and then sell it. And so like I was charging them one thousand dollars a month to train a mule. Well I can buy a mule here for six thousand or seven thousand dollars and ride it two weeks and make eight thousand dollars and not get buck thrown or kicked because it was already a nice mule.
Speaker 4: So so you just said something. I did ride it a lot for the public. But some you know, you need a little extra cash, so have a little extra time. Somebody got a coat, one broke out or something. Yeah, I ride it.
Speaker 3: I quit doing it now, And I wouldn't tell aybody. I wouldn't do it.
Speaker 4: I just kept raising my price till they stopped paying me. But the problem was, you, like what Matt's saying, You ride something thirty days for them, get doing every and it may take me forty five days to get that thirty days of riding in. But ye, what I would do is I would say, it may take me forty five days to get your thirty days of riding in, but it's gonna do this, this, and this when I'm done, it's gonna cost you this this money.
Speaker 3: Welly, get it home. They turn it out for three months.
Speaker 1: Don't ride it, don't ride it, don't touch it, yeah, feed it, yeah.
Speaker 3: And then call me, Hey, this ain't bumped me off? Well, what have you done as the first time I wrote it?
Speaker 4: Sorry? Yeah, And it just gets so disgusted with it that I mean, there was the last horse I rode for the public, wasn't even broke to lee still running with its mother's two years old two year old past like two and a half years old, not being broke to lead or anything. I get this thing right in and never done thing with me. My wife calls me because it come to find out it was her cousin's husband's family that owned the horse, and all her uncles and brother. He bucked everybody off. She says, you gonna write USA. No, it never booked with me. Why would I go try to prove myself on something of already done and they waited a year to write it. That's not my fault, that's their fault. So I would I wouldn't have got only one time for six hunderd at that.
Speaker 2: Point, Max, I saw you something writing something down.
Speaker 1: Do you see something you liked out there?
Speaker 5: Well, the one that the Wild Bunch had you could tell was doing pretty good. He was one he one hand rained it through the whole deal. So the course, so like when he went through the everything like that, he didn't have to use two hands. So and it's comously got a handle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well we got interrupted by technical issues.
Speaker 4: But that was Mark Balley Wild the Wild Bunch horse Meal Company, and they helped the us Kelso's put to sell.
Speaker 3: On okay, and uh, but they he's a hand.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's just there's no other way to say it. He yeah, very good roper. He's just a cowboy. And when I say kelboy, I'm not talking about this rough browdy. He knows what he's doing. He knows he's a trainer, he's a roper, he's he's the whole package, and mat say anything he's had very long. If he said it very long and worked it very long, it's it's it's kind of me. He was talking earlier. Don't waste your time on the sorry ones. If that thing's not responding and not going to respond to stuff, why I waste your time? Go get you something better. And so if he's spending very much time on one, it's it's all right.
Speaker 3: And then vice versa with this one. So you got this one here.
Speaker 5: It's got no business mouth, so you know it's got a hacking more gadget type thing, so you know it's probably sleaning its head. And then you know, like he couldn't do this obstacle here, he can't do that on obstacle there. He went around out of obstacle there. So you know, you've got a mule that's basic basic. You know, it's not It didn't buck him, it didn't hurt him. But there's a place for this mule. But it's just not gonna be it's not going to from the high dollar.
Speaker 2: Knowing it's not gonna be a soap propers, what do what would you say for somebody that was wanting to get their first animal. I mean, I talk to a lot of people that are like I've been around Equon animals some but never owned one, and they want to mule.
Speaker 4: The first thing safe, safe disposition. And if you've never owned one, don't come to the doustion by one. I mean, seriously, go spend the money to go to somebody's house and some maady like Max or or us. I mean, we got to there at our house, kelsehold meals dot com come to our house. Uh, go find you somebody you trust, go to their house, spend a week there if you need to. If you're a good person and you're willing to work, most most sellers will work with you on something like that. I'm uncomfortable. I don't know what I'm doing. Can I come out and try this mule for so long and ride with the person that owns it, that knows the buttons, knows the issues, knowse devices. Because like we talked about in the other podcast, you're dealing with something that God gives its own mind to. It's got its own fears, its own is not a four wheeler, that's right, so so uh go spend some time, and if you know what you're doing, maybe you don't need that. But but but when you're buying an animal and you don't know what you're doing, get some help.
Speaker 3: Don't be too proud to ask for help.
Speaker 1: Now what are you seeing in this mule? Max? Pretty basic?
Speaker 3: You got the same thing here you've got you've got a hack a more so you know he's not.
Speaker 1: That's the style of bit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's nothing nothing, No, it's just on his nose clamping down. But you see, as soon as he picks the reins up, the thing immediately goes looking up in the air. See how so everything so you've got no control over it to a degree.
Speaker 3: Now I want to add to what you're sent here just a little bit. Max.
Speaker 4: There's a guy he's dead now from southwest New Mexico or southeast. See how southwest is the HeLa Uh his name just tobaty me Max Harsha. Yeah, and he had a combination bit with a nose band. Myself, I don't like him.
Speaker 3: That's just me.
Speaker 4: It's kind of a some peoples. It is kind of GIMMI don't get me wrong. When the mule responds that Max harsh bit. Well, it responds real well, but it's not a be all end all bits are not are so different than the other piece of equipment you're gonna use. But there are certain people get hung up on something that worked and to keep using it. Once again, we're dealing with the individual. You're not dealing with a full hitter that's mass produced. And there are things just to like, maybe this mule will ride with a bit maybe maybe maybe maybe not. We don't know. I mean we're looking at the first time I've seen the mule, so I don't know. But also the flips and I'm not arguing Max on what he's saying, but the flip side, this guy maybe he rides everything with a hack.
Speaker 5: More, right, So you don't so you're trying to we have to try to decide is it the mule or is it the rider?
Speaker 3: Right? Yeah, And we got to watch the response and like.
Speaker 1: Whether that's a big, pretty mule.
Speaker 5: Yeah, But and the mule trotted down in a real straight line like you sa you know, you can tell it, like it's probably a good sound and all that, and it's trotd what he's gonna do, And then it started acting up with the.
Speaker 4: I noticed, well when he come out here, he kind of cut kind of quick right here when he turned, and not a not a I wouldn't call the mule fly to your unsafe nothing like that.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean what I've seen looks safe, but I could tell that you had to. That was a mule that if if that had been a greenhorn riding his fuel right here when he comes to this obstacle, these this l right here they had back through. If I had been and greenrn, that mule would have would have made some more steps. So look to me, that guy knew the mule was gonna spook just a little bit. Now this is Toddy John from Iowa. Really good hand. I've known Todd for thirty years. He'll have some pretty nice mules.
Speaker 1: Now what's he done is he shaved that mule's head?
Speaker 4: All right? That's this goes back.
Speaker 2: So we're looking at a meal that there's a distinct line, looks like it's.
Speaker 3: His head's been clipped and clipped pair.
Speaker 4: They're not sheepshar, but there are same different ways with the same styles as sheep shears.
Speaker 1: Is that just a stylistic thing for showing that started?
Speaker 4: That started on draft mule coats, they would share their head because as a donkey or jack has has a real heavy eyebrow, boned eyebrows. And so you take a coat that maybe just a little bit, we call it being rough over the eyes, a little full over the eyes. We take a coat's got hair on it, baby hair on it, four inches long, and it's sticking out, well, that hair like a hood of her.
Speaker 3: I mean, and it really makes them. No, that just shows how clean the mule's head is.
Speaker 1: I see, it's kind of showing it.
Speaker 4: And it's went from there. I hate having right mules hit. I hate it. However, some mules, why I stop there. If you want to do that body clip the thing, which I totally against but in my opinion, but it does. I mean, it makes her if you got if you get it, she's tight haired. No, she didn't need it. But yeah, some people just grew up seeing it doesn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, so you guys are you're looking at a lot of different stuff. Max, You're looking at the tack. You're trying to discern.
Speaker 5: You see how well that's the thing in this case, here is how it's gaping his mouth open and pull them back. But we know for a fact that that is a good runner. Say, like on the other one, we were like, well, we don't know if it's this this mule or is it this guy Because we don't know the guy. We know that if that mule won't back up with his head down and collected, it ain't his fault.
Speaker 4: Because you know, that's why me and we was talking about earlier in another podcast about him.
Speaker 1: Oh he through the pull noodles.
Speaker 3: Right, but he's done. He done what he should do around him.
Speaker 2: Now, what why is he selling this mule? This is a good mule trainer.
Speaker 3: He yeah, he sells it.
Speaker 5: If I had to guess, let's see here, If I had to guess, it's probably one that he's riding for somebody else to say, it's his charity.
Speaker 1: So Max is looking in the catalog.
Speaker 4: He don't he works instruction, but he'll ride a few mules with the evening and go to some sales.
Speaker 2: So you might buy that meal, Max and take it home and ride it for sixty days and really tune it up. And it's a sharp looking mule, and I mean it needs a little more.
Speaker 4: Once all right, Yeah, but once again, maybe the same situation. Even though Todd's a good hand. Maybe Max has got a bit to fits that mule better. He may and and me personally, I think every ride mule should be born with a cavasall. Yes, cavasol is a nose band with a headstall on it. Just a simple and it keeps from gapping mouth open. In what they're doing. They gat that mouth open. They're trying to get away from the bed. Now you got if you've got one on, you need smart enough not to have too much bit in your mouth, you know what I'm saying, because then you're fighting against one another.
Speaker 3: But every mule should be born with the cavsal.
Speaker 2: Now this this is a that's a flashy meal. What's a flashy mual?
Speaker 4: Max?
Speaker 1: When people say that.
Speaker 5: It's got chrome on it, like that color or really good, but the stocking legs that that mule's got some cast.
Speaker 2: Is that going to be a good selling mule because of the way it looks.
Speaker 1: I don't like it.
Speaker 3: I don't it has it doesn't have the confirmation.
Speaker 1: Oh does it not?
Speaker 3: No, I'm sitting here with two guys that lot flashy mules. I don't.
Speaker 4: I'm a sorrowing day guy. And what MAATX means here this mule, she's well made. She's not thick made though, I mean she's she's got a well rounded hip.
Speaker 2: Now what what consequences one not being thick and not having a lot of muscle?
Speaker 1: I mean, is that meal not going to be?
Speaker 2: But I'm saying, like in the on a trail ride, you're not gonna know the difference between that one and one that weighs two hundred more pounds?
Speaker 1: Are you?
Speaker 3: Depends on what you know?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what you're used to take your four hitners. If you know this fore hitterer will do more. But you always grew up on this smaller foreheader that you always able to get done what you want to done. That beer folder may be intimidating you, you see what I'm saying. Yeah, but a guy that knows the difference of what job application goes or pick up? All right, you grew up you're having a half ton truck all your life. You only have a bunpet pull trailer or boat whatever the case may be. This does what I want to do? Yeah, tase man Max, he's got a goosetack trauler. He's got to go down the road with eight to ten mules in it. That half ton truck is no good to him. So if you're used to a mule that's got a more body, a little more size to it.
Speaker 1: And maybe do you think that's a young mule ten years old? Ten years old, so that mules fro it's done. Yeah, you're gonna buy that mule max. I mean, i'd probably we're gonna come out after the same out.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't been on this field because like when it's going Monday, it is doing the obstacles. He is writing it one handed for the majority of everything. It's got floppy years, which means it's relaxed its confidence of what it's doing. I do have a lot of people that just want a smaller meal. It's they're just TROI run. They're not gonna rope, they're not going to go to the mountains. They're you know, an older couple whatever. They're just want something small. And then a lot of people have bad hips or whatever. They don't want to be spread out with something real. I don't like that near build that a frame. So there are clients and like I said, you say, when he's pulling his.
Speaker 1: Tail and doing around like it's just too small.
Speaker 3: It's head. It's for a personal meal.
Speaker 5: But I'm gonna say I sell more from fourteen to fourteen three to older people than I do any other thing. I like a sixteen hand meal looks like a head of horse. They don't sell that well. But it goes back to what we said about earlier. Our clientle. Clientele has gotten older.
Speaker 1: Next, you mind pulling up that mike a little bit.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry our clientele has gotten older, more crippled. I mean, I'm broke up at fifty years old. It's been if I'm really fifty one, I got to knees their junk or help this junker right arm is.
Speaker 1: Junk because of h riding all those bad mules.
Speaker 3: Bad decisions a lot of times.
Speaker 4: But but that small us whole we was talking about earlier, This older woman that doesn't care like match's saying. She wants something that's safe, and she lots looks of it. That little me right, there's got some retail to it. Yeah, this mule here, I mean, yeah, mules got its snose up a little bit, but it's responsive that see that if I was buying this meal, it's stepping out of them. That wouldn't affect me. Mules trying. You know, it's not it's not fighting. He's not doing exactly what he asked. But the mull still not a it's not an idiot. But once again see it. No, it's coming up like that. Yeah, that wants to get out of it hates this. Serena guarantee it. M also, though, might be going towards them littles too. I just thought of that because going away the mules relaxed. I remember I was talking about earlier about mule seeing something hundred yards out. I guarant what you said. You were picking his head up. Yeah, going towards them noodles. You think it want to go through them noodles?
Speaker 3: Am? I ask?
Speaker 1: How many meals did you buy here last year? Eighteen eighteen meals in the fall?
Speaker 3: In the fall, yeah, about the same in the spring. I was wrong.
Speaker 2: How how fast will you turn those over?
Speaker 5: Say?
Speaker 1: Okay, I would take that out if.
Speaker 4: You there's old saying the fox don't tell the hounds all the hide notes here you go.
Speaker 3: I was wrong. You went through the noodles and then pretty well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, very well, I mean didn't hesitate, But but the noodles to me is the same thing as a blue tarp, whether it's over them or under them. You spend enough time, they'll do it. That the noodles to me, the noodles on a three year old had a response to it's one thing a ten year old. It doesn't mean it means they're going to do They're not going to do it. That doesn't mean that mules not safe or well broke. To my opinion, that may be the one thing that wouldn't do. Maybe does everything else we've discussed taking the noodles plumb out.
Speaker 3: I hate them noodles.
Speaker 1: Hey, now justin here's the mule.
Speaker 4: You might like.
Speaker 1: This is a solid colored dark bay or black. I can't tell.
Speaker 2: Got a yeah, Yeah, it's a that's a pretty nice mule, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah? Safe. I'm gonna say this mule, yes, it's gonna be. It's a be a older me. You, I'd say, no one who's who owns it? An olderman? You'll be a safe le thirteen years old? What it says thirteen?
Speaker 1: What's the prime age?
Speaker 3: Max?
Speaker 5: To sell at six to ten? Ten to twelve would be better than four to six, and as a horse will four to six. Yes, that's why I was talking about earlier. It is so different than it was twenty years ago, thirty years ago. If that mule got over a mule horse, the one got over seven eight years old. If it's over eight, you didn't retail it.
Speaker 1: People didn't want to know.
Speaker 2: But I mean, a mule is coming into his prime when he's ten, Is that about right?
Speaker 4: A don horse mule, if he's got stripes and tiger stripes on her legs, they should be born there six or so. They're kind of like a blue hitter dog could be the best one you ever had. However, it takes a little water mature and that they are tough.
Speaker 1: I like this mule.
Speaker 4: This mule is gonna be just what I've seen, is gonna be a very safe from you. It's gonna be for that. This mualle here is the one that for the wife does all the riding, and she wants to buy her husband mule just to go with her when he don't ride that much.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 4: I used to have people that call me, he said, listen, I've got a mule. My husband will ride with me, but his mule can't be as pretty as mine. And I would buy these.
Speaker 2: Beig really oh, all the time, And I made lots of money off rich women that their husband went ride with them to please them, to be part of the lot.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm not knocking what they were doing, but you could retail them. People are like, my husband cannot have as nice of mules I got.
Speaker 5: I literally just did a video on that. It's like kept going viral right now about husband safe mules, husband safe men.
Speaker 4: Remember what someone earth where the women are leading on these animals dogs. I mean the women are leading on the animals because you know these men are. I mean, let's face the way economy or whatever you want, the way the lifestyles went has changed the last forty fifty years. You have to work so much your hobbies. You don't have hobbies anymore.
Speaker 1: That's interesting.
Speaker 4: You chase your kids, you know this?
Speaker 1: Would you would you say you're.
Speaker 2: Marketing as much to women as men.
Speaker 3: More than women. The women are controlling the mule work. It really mostly unless it's a roping mule or something like that. You get us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, wagon mules, so men because all the wagon team you just sit there in that wagon. You put your cooler of whatever beverages you prefer, a lot of these a lot of these wagons now cookers on the of them. This guy or I'm not saying women, don't worry. That's what I mean by this. This guy's been stretched out for five days. He will spend his Saturday relaxing. So he hook his team up. He's got his cooker on the back, got his cooler full of whatever beverage. Adult or not an adult. You want your cooter and you sit back and hold a pair of lines and go drive around back roads all day with your mules, with your mules, and just enjoy the day's rollers.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: So if you're if you're listening to this on audio, you probably would do better. Let's watching this on YouTube because we're we're again, we're we're.
Speaker 1: Here at the catalog the cattle.
Speaker 2: These are the catalog mules, which means mules that have been pre registered for the sale in two days or watching them go through the trail course.
Speaker 3: Now I tee you here, now this mule, hear anybody can write it based on just the rider. She can't write a link.
Speaker 1: Now, is that your daughter?
Speaker 4: It is?
Speaker 1: Now, that's not what I heard all day. This girl is a she's as good as they cut.
Speaker 3: Yes, if you see a kill it on there.
Speaker 4: She's kind of some of these meals she could use some her finding. She's pretty tough.
Speaker 5: And we were at a mule sell here and I don't want to I don't want to ruin his story, but they paid her twenty bucks or whatever to ride a mule through the cell. This mule kicked her and burst her appendix or was the last ready to deliver, last ready to deliver? She still rolled that meal through that cell, got that meal sold, then went to the hospital.
Speaker 4: She's tough.
Speaker 1: Wow, don't girl how old she.
Speaker 4: She's twenty two, twenty three as fall She's tough.
Speaker 1: Man. That's a nice looking mual. So this is what do you call that?
Speaker 3: That's a that's a du tire strap leads.
Speaker 4: Now what makes that the it's it's the donkey.
Speaker 3: The daddy put most of that on him.
Speaker 2: So what typically if you saw that, you know what kind of jack and what kind of mare that came out of?
Speaker 4: No, but I know that's a tough sung gun. That would be the toughest meal you step on. You will not kill that meal?
Speaker 3: Right? What is that up numberstem here? It's uh Jase Curtis's maybe.
Speaker 2: So we're looking at a tall mule and Justin's daughter there is riding it. I'd say it's a putting over fifteen hands.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, he's fifteen to one at least, yeah, maybe two.
Speaker 1: And it's a it's a palomino color.
Speaker 4: So it's like it's like he's got he's got black yeah, black man and tail.
Speaker 2: It's like the color of coffee if you poured quite a bit of creamer in it.
Speaker 4: Yes, and he's got the black legs up to his to his pastons, but her passions to his.
Speaker 3: Knees for a butt skin be black all.
Speaker 4: The way up. He's got the stripes.
Speaker 3: So is that your mule, No, sir, she's just riding through for somebody.
Speaker 1: I mean that's gonna be a high dollar mule. It's just pretty lady.
Speaker 4: He's laid back, he's gentle, uh, not overly dolgeable.
Speaker 3: I don't think you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: But and though, well she got him through the pull noodles, okay, I mean he's safe as they come, and he's ride between I don't old to.
Speaker 3: See four year old.
Speaker 1: Oh he's just I don't think.
Speaker 3: I don't think that's that one. I think it is don't have a color on her for some reason.
Speaker 2: I mean, that mule has done everything. It's it's walked over. So the trail course, forgive us. We just jumped right into it because the mules were coming. But the trail course basically involves the mules riding around a dirt arena, jumping over a small log, and then they come and have to go through basically some landscape landscape timbers that are laid out that make a little l shape, and you.
Speaker 3: They're supposed to back through that back and turn back.
Speaker 2: You're supposed to make the mule go and reverse ye, and all this is just about proving how much control the rider has over the mule willing and they're.
Speaker 4: Not a force control. That mule does it willingly because it's been trained properly.
Speaker 2: And then there's there's two fifty five gallon drums out here, and there's a there's a cooler on top of the fifty five gallon drums, like a like.
Speaker 3: A collapsible cooler.
Speaker 1: Call cooler like a yeah, like a collapsible cooler.
Speaker 2: And the guys ride up to the fifty five gallon drum with a cooler and reach in and get a water bottle. And if you can like get your mule, have enough control over your meal to pull it up right to that cooler and reach in and get it off of the meal like you're doing something.
Speaker 3: Yep, and take it around a barrel, come and put it back in.
Speaker 2: Take it around the other barrel, and then you ride through the pool noodles, which we've already described this little arch with pull noodles, and then there's a wooden bridge made of two before's and two of sixes.
Speaker 4: Yep, it's gonna be pretty nice meal right here. This new here will be when you're I almost say one of the top five, would you max.
Speaker 3: See say, and it's backing up, it's putting its head down. It's collected where I was talking about earlier about time one's head down.
Speaker 1: Would you call this a bay?
Speaker 6: Black bay brown, but not a bay, not a bu bay. Basically he was backing on his head down to his chest. That's what you're That's what the others are supposed to be doing. Yeah, and you're seeing them. We get on high headed and so that's what it's supposed to look like.
Speaker 1: So this is probably fourteen to two.
Speaker 3: Fourteen fifteen one. I don't really that meal was not that.
Speaker 1: Tall, but it's a it's good thick meal, got good thick legs.
Speaker 4: You see that what he was talking about earlier about your body condition. See, while there's a bunch of those mules that are well rounded on the hips like that mule is.
Speaker 3: Look how much thicker width wise hip on the hip on.
Speaker 2: That that animal is gonna be able to carry a bigger person for a longer period of time.
Speaker 3: Like you go the mountains and you take that.
Speaker 4: If I'm riding, if I'm done checking cows and taxis or just trail riding down in Texas, that little eight hundred and fifty pound mule stands fourteen three.
Speaker 3: It's fine. That mule is gonna be tough. It'll carry you all day, it'll travel well.
Speaker 4: But now if you're gonna go up the mountains or something, you need something a little more substance underneath you. Yeah, I mean, just the mule's gonna last longer. You can take that smaller mule. It ain't gonna last.
Speaker 1: Max. Tell everybody how we're describing the height of these mules, Like what.
Speaker 3: Hand is four inches? And where do you measure from on their withers? The hohest point on their backs.
Speaker 2: So you measure from the ground to the basically where their main ends on.
Speaker 4: The back, and you'll see people take a tape measure and lay it against them measure. That's not a true measurement. Yeah, because how thick you can throw, that's right. You know, if it's a that thing high behind the two before, Yeah, that's pretty true measurement.
Speaker 2: So a hand is like this archaic measurement from its way in the back down the basically the width of.
Speaker 1: A man's palm.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be as.
Speaker 1: Thirteen hands as sixty inches, that's right.
Speaker 4: As a rule, I don't remember I've measured with my hand becleus i rode. I was stooped enough for our bevery courses in high school and college, so I had to buy a glove. But as a rule, every a man's hand is gonna be three and three quarters inches to four in a quarter, it's going to average four inches. You measure ten people's hands, take the giants out and the little guys out, it's going to average about four inches.
Speaker 1: I mean, whoever decided to do that wasn't really they figured who figured up them? All the same guys that made horse hands mule hands.
Speaker 4: Well that's like you get in our country's leaps and bounds when you measure stuff. They we're out here, everything's in a section, everything's a square mile. But our country they had a drunk you'll never blind, so they done leaps and bounds.
Speaker 5: You know, you were talking about body condition with with the mule, and Mark's on their thermonomy. So last year we come here and about ten different people thought Mark was me. So I lost twenty pounds because I didn't want the confusion. L I was like, we can't be having that.
Speaker 4: That's a true story. Yeah, this is Jason Ayers. He's from Soper, Oklahoma, southeast.
Speaker 1: That's a smaller mule.
Speaker 4: But now this is your typical smaller Oklahoma Missouri. It's that coon hunting hall hunting type mule. Once because of the bruh, you know, you take Arkansas's even that way in someplace. Oh yeah, you get that brush, you'll spend more time picking your hat up than you will riding.
Speaker 2: So a lot of times when you get out on the trails in Arkansas or wherever, you'll see a lot of smaller mules fourteen fourteen hands and even smaller sometimes and it's they're pretty handy. It's not as hard to get on them, it's not as hard to get off them.
Speaker 4: If you get bucked off, it ain't here as far to falling exactly. But you'll notice a percentage wise the smaller mules are and he's trained as the bigger mules percentage wise. Part of it is who's riding them. They don't care. They just want something go.
Speaker 2: Maybe they know it's not ever going to be a top end because of its size.
Speaker 3: You've given them, you're giving the junk public to. They just don't spend that time with them. They bought him.
Speaker 4: They bought him cheaper because they were very few times they bought that mule because he was cheaper a lot of times too. Yeah, you know what I mean. Maybe so they're not They're not the guys that's gonna spend the money. I can do it, don't have time to do it. I'm not gonna pay some guy to do it. I'll just write him when I can. Yeah, I think that's don't you, Max. That's it's not a knock on anybody or the mule itselfish.
Speaker 2: Just what what a lot of people wouldn't know is that mule. If it's I don't know, it's probably not even fourteen hands, is it? That sucker would carry a grown man all day?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: Am I right? Max?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: They do.
Speaker 1: I mean you think you think, oh, the short one, the small one's not gonna do it.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: That sucker will carry one hundred and ninety pounds man all day.
Speaker 4: When you pack them that. If you packed the mule, you can put as much weight on it you can another one. Now, what you won't do is for that fifteen thousand and fifty pounds me will last twenty years in the mountains. This mule is gonna last ten gonna breakhim down? Care it'll do if you really do. But you're gonna you're gonna break him down.
Speaker 1: I see.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you a story the first sale we had here. And I'm not for your listeners and viewers. I'm not knocking any base, but the oklahomarrat I's tell you about.
Speaker 3: You know this.
Speaker 4: Nineteen ninety three, I'm almost nineteen years old in college and Jody was Shoot, Jody would have been in middle school. I guess no, he'd been in high school anyway. So as me, John Robert.
Speaker 1: This is your daughter again it is okay.
Speaker 3: She's riding. She had two mules ride for someone else.
Speaker 1: That's a nice meal. Yeah, go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 4: Anyway, Dad said, hey, we're going to Teacher's Cowboys. And he wasn't knocking anybody Teachy's Cowboys to ride these fifteen meals to the Oklahoma Rats are riding.
Speaker 1: Okay, Oklahoma Rat is a small, smaller music.
Speaker 4: It didn't fit our customers, so we didn't view them with a lot of desirability because they didn't make us any money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'm not. And so.
Speaker 4: He works for us now, helps us check stock in and clerks for us there and sell. Justin McCoy he had a mule and we never made him, never knew him. I'm thinking all this time was Oklahoma Rat. Well, Justin's got this mule and he was stits and bust all slaps on him and we didn't kick any kind of hopped up neck in the hind end like he was going to.
Speaker 3: I said, oh, oklahma rat got it, Dad, I understand.
Speaker 4: So we take him in there, like I told you earlier, Dad put all he always starts the mules. Me Dad or Jody will put the full price on every mule. We might let the auction near. We're not gonna let him miss around along. You can play for a minute, but I mean a second or two, but fifteen six, we're gonna give you a price.
Speaker 3: That's the bottom. He ain't get no cheaper.
Speaker 2: So you're saying, at the auction on Saturday, meal comes out. If nobody bids on it pretty quick, you'll bid on it and you'll buy, and you'll mean it too.
Speaker 3: It's not that's that it's not getting cheaper.
Speaker 4: That's all.
Speaker 1: You'll buy it now.
Speaker 4: If we don't want it and you want it, we might let you have it at that price. But that's it's gonna bring that much. And Dad's done that since he started putting sales on the said he's always been that way. Well, so this mule comes in. Back then, we didn't let him play around it because we didn't have this high. It was all kind of standard of what mules is gonna bring. Dad starts this mule from three fifty and we had We pulled a customer out of Montana that used to buy one hundred head of a year from us, either through the sails or privately, uh named Larry Klinkbeard. That it's called busted ash ranks at early Montana and uh he uh this mule, I mean he was handy, broke. I'm talking about right. No horse would handle any better. And he's riding his mule around. He got up here about seven eight hundred. He's heard on show y'all something. He steps off this mw and I'm if I'm lying, God will strip me dead. Snapped his finger. His mule fell like he shot him. Stapped all even STAPs Ferris fuel fell. I'm talking about it, just shot up.
Speaker 1: It would lay down un commanded.
Speaker 4: This thing dropped like I mean, just dropped. Just climb the ladder. I mean we went up to like fifteen sixteen hundred boom. I'm talking about it in twenty seconds. Went from eight hundred to sixteen hundred. Yeah.
Speaker 1: When people saw that it would it would drop.
Speaker 4: Tory clinking Beard stands up in the crowd. He said, come on, boys, ain't bringing up.
Speaker 3: Beat him up. He's not bringing up, just encouraging. He was in.
Speaker 4: It was his mule. At that moment.
Speaker 3: He had to win in bid and he was encouraging people. At vid Morgus.
Speaker 4: He wouldn't bring enough and the mule he gets We got kind of get hung up for about fifteen sixteen hundred. This one of our mules. Here is Jody's boy riding this mule. Jase pretty nice mle bend in the mountains out west. But uh so we get hung up kind of about fifteen hundred and just hold on to show you one more thing and I'll be done. And he reachs and grabs this mule by his left front leg, piets it up in front of not picking up like on Clean's foot out, brings that front and walks off in his mule, hops three legged behind him, brings twenty two to fifty life of heilsover. It's making Johnny, you missed that one. We started him too cheap, he said, Burn his little narrow butt in again. I start him again at three fifty. I didn't want him. And mule comes back year later, brings like sixteen, sent me anund We had to find justin get him right to the mule through getting he had him by the week to tunume up and getting back ready again.
Speaker 1: But you just don't every Hey, what does that tell you? When one does that? Right there, he's saying, Hello, It's not a big deal.
Speaker 2: Depends on how what what miill just did is he's been ridden and he win.
Speaker 4: He braid out on it's not that's not a big deal. She's hollering her buddies. Hey, I'm stuck at her in this ring, this jack leg driving me around this course I don't go through. But she's being responsive, she's not fighting anything. She got her mouth out of anything dangerous.
Speaker 5: Which I know you were talking about earlier about the stalking legged flashy meal. This is considered flashing because it's a Palomino. But this one also has the little head, the neck, the hip, a little height, some withhither to it, the whole of saddle. So now it's got the confirmation and the color.
Speaker 4: I was telling Clay earlier. If you see one with color, use it as a bonus, not the rule. Look at it as if it was a sorrow. Obey if you like it picturing it that way. The color is a bonus. If you're buying one just for color, you're you're looking, you're you're going, you're putting cart in front of the horse.
Speaker 5: But you like that on Max, Yeah, this is this one's an oscer, like I said, when it's walking like you see, it's going over the tubs and so it's going over in uh like it's heads down, it's for like it's not getting spun up about it, like they're just trying to step around. Is it just like it didn't see no point in it. There was no fear about it. It wasn't like, oh, it wasn't trying to shoulder out to get away from the tire.
Speaker 4: It's just like kind of the last time about the stubborn and saying like he just said that mual seen he point to walk through them tires.
Speaker 3: It's got all the world in the world around it. Why why did I go through those tires?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So the last obstacle on the course, it's too big, old.
Speaker 4: It's left foot with it was like, I'm I'm gonna heap you out. I'm gonna do it a little bit. But this is the stupidest thing I've ever done. My kids have looked at me like that.
Speaker 5: And j could have Jase could have spurred it and made it get in there, but he chose just to let it do what it's gonna do. Scene, let it show. It showed quiet through the whole course. Let's go with that, versus it may have lined out and did it perfect, or it may have jumped clean over the tire.
Speaker 3: It didn't look bad.
Speaker 4: And so he doesne what he should do, exactly exactly what he should have done, right, because it's once again, this is not training time. This is we're trying to We want people to show what they will do. Don't worry about what they want.
Speaker 1: Now, this is a young man.
Speaker 5: Okay, but you see the mule were not going to it's not going in a straight line. It's supposed to try it so far, lope, so far, and and so you know it's not doing its very young. I think, yeah, it's not doing a bad deal. But where the Palamedo had just come through with Jason, it just just it was just straight as the line with no corrections.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you know it's just been there, done that man.
Speaker 4: Now, look that mule gathered up in his face and touched his chin, touched his nose.
Speaker 3: The view was going very well, that's got the million.
Speaker 4: Kids, it is. It's one of the wild bunch kids. That's that's mark young youngest boy. I think, yeah, but uh, but I mean this mule's got a lot of potential. Yeah, thirty years ago, this mule retail because me or you at twenty five don't want to start one. But I don't one to know that. I get to teach a lot of that stuff too. This is the mule I want that. That's me why I would sell twenty years ago, twenty five.
Speaker 2: This could even though it's it's clear that it's kind of young, it's still got a ton of potential.
Speaker 4: A ton of potential. And he'll get overlooked, would you say so, Max? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Right, but he'll get overlooked because, like I said, the older ladies and people do it. They're not even gonna look at anything under the rix.
Speaker 3: People are not going to spend the money on this one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, got you.
Speaker 5: They're not even gonna look at nothing under six. If you had the best mule out here and it was two or three years old, they're gonna go. Don't have an experience for me, Yeah, only average.
Speaker 3: There's always foot deals.
Speaker 4: Well that's fastening the mule that I could have bought at home for two thousand and fifteen hundred.
Speaker 3: No, I'm scared of it. I wouldn't. I didn't want to give a thousand for walk I ever brings forty two and a half.
Speaker 4: You just don't eat. Hey, I'm gonna say this. I've been I don't go to sales like I used to. But when I was going to sales, this is the only sale that you cannot predict what something's going to bring. Would you say, at Max, Hey.
Speaker 1: That's sucker.
Speaker 2: Just it cruised through the last part of the course. It looked over here, it looked a little yancy.
Speaker 3: That's the age thing.
Speaker 2: How old is that mule? I bet it's not over four, but I could be wrong.
Speaker 3: We're not that far long, are we there? I haven't seen cloudes mules. Yeah, clones story bender has it go?
Speaker 4: Yeah, she just that one.
Speaker 2: So when you are looking at a catalog mule, at a mule auction, you have an actual catalog that has the mules numbered, and then every mule has a sticker on their rump and on their forehead. So it's like this mule number sixteen, And then you go to the catalog and you look at number sixteen, and you'll be able to read all that's been that Actually the owner wrote about that mule.
Speaker 3: She's a that mule is a four year old.
Speaker 1: Four year old.
Speaker 5: Now see this girl here says a lot of hard d mules here. She's real successful with this cell. She wins the trail course the majority. Yeah, she'll win it morning.
Speaker 3: Well. They live Kirby, Arkansas.
Speaker 4: You know where that says. Yeah, oh yeah, they write these things. They get up in the mountains, they ride. Her husband trains border colleagues and they and they trade some which I don't Some people want to discount that I do not. But Andrew is a very good hands. She's very quiet, very soft with them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And to me, you're asking me to back through something they see no point in.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So the fact is, if you're out in the mountains and there were two big rocks right there, you can probably make it go right between it.
Speaker 4: Right, because this mule wants to do something like why see there? Now, once she got her line that she's doing.
Speaker 1: It, yeah, yeah, yeah, she knows that mule can do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Let very few have made that corner and kept backing.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 4: In all, she's probably been working with these mule quite a bit, and the mules getting tired of that trick quote unquote.
Speaker 3: That makes sense. And so you know these mules, if you hammer on too far, they just after a while they get tired of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, grab that water bottle.
Speaker 2: Oh so we lost a water bottle out there on the trail course and Justin's going to go out and pick it up for him.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Now the thing with Andrea, if she's tiny, that's she's a tiny woman.
Speaker 3: So that's a tiny mual.
Speaker 5: That m is probably not even fourteen hands, So that that gets to be a problem. Like a lot of times I tell her, I'm like, because I've tried to buy some mules from her, I bought a couple of it. I'm like, if you just put this time in a fifteen hand or fourteen three versus a thirteen two. But there's a big market for those smaller mules, for just people just like that that are a smaller lady or a kid and they want those little mules.
Speaker 1: You know what else? Should what have we?
Speaker 2: So imagine somebody listening to this that's never been here anything, max? What what would what would be interesting to somebody? What does somebody need to know about a sale like this?
Speaker 4: Seller?
Speaker 1: Anybody?
Speaker 4: I think the buyers, I mean, I don't think we're the most premier mule sale in America. There's there's some good sales out there. I do think based on what I know, so don't. I don't want to offend anybody when I say this. I believe we try harder than anybody to the customer. The seller pays us to sell their mule, the buyer pays us nothing. I think we're a seller friendly of any sale, would you say it, Max?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And I told you earlier.
Speaker 5: So the thing about this cell is is if you go to a Saturday night cattle horse type auctions sell, there's no guarantees, there's no nothing else. If they're drugged up, the agents, whatever they're going to do, you're seeing them in a little bit of ring. You're not getting a seeing work here. You're getting see the work.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: You can go to a Jay Clarix or something. You're going to get to see a course like this and do this. But everything there people are expecting to bring twenty or more and they're disappointed if it brings under twenty. So it's a seller's more. You're not going to come about just a good trum mule that you can get down the road, and this cell is the best of where you can come. And you can get some of those mules that are high end just as good as the ones that are at Jake's or Cromeny Canyon. But you can also get one for worth the money.
Speaker 4: Right just because, like we say, an earlier, just because it won't bring the twenty thousand, doesn't mean it's a good mule. Yeah, but the sellers also got to understand that even though in your mind they're the same, it's all up to the buyer. And like I said earlier, a mule is worth six cents a pound. Whatever you get over that, if it is worth what you talk somebody out of, and that's I mean, that's just the way it is.
Speaker 1: Just told me that earlier.
Speaker 2: Equine animals at slaughter are worth sixty cents a pound. So anything above that, you're talking to somebody.
Speaker 3: I didn't say that.
Speaker 1: What's this mule right here? I like the looks of that mule. I have a young meal that looks just like that.
Speaker 4: I know it's got stocking legs. You got a weakness for that clock.
Speaker 5: I don't know why, but see here like okay, so you hog hunt, right, Yeah, so that's something that you would need to don't see claude or on this mule. This is a guy where they hol count all the time. Mules don't like bears and hogs on the smell generally, they got to get used to that. And so like if you were looking for a mule, this would be something you'd be interested in because for one, it's flashing and you're like flashy.
Speaker 3: But two, this one actually probably has drug hogs out.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's a lot of mules there sale.
Speaker 2: You would know that if you came here and talk to some people and you get to this guy.
Speaker 3: You got three days like tomorrow. Yeah, only tack is selling. If you see a mule and the trail course today and you want to go talk to.
Speaker 5: The guy and ride it all day tomorrow, you can do it. If you talk to Clark.
Speaker 2: I hadn't thought about that you could actually ride. I mean I could go talk to a guy and be like, hey, let me ride that mule, and he'd be like, heck, yeah.
Speaker 1: That's most of the time.
Speaker 4: See when we first started having a catalog pors and I don't know, it's been what eight nine years ago, we had the trail course on Friday afternoon, we'd stopped the tax sall at four o'clock. Have the trail. Of course, we'd have fifty head in it. We'd have a real big course, get done pretty quick. And our tax sails last until mid night or one o'clock in the morning, so you know, let's stop this crap. So we moved it instead of moving the tack on Friday. Because you've got people that want to come for the tax Say, well, if if we moved the tax seller on Thursday, then they're taking two days off of work. We want we want those tax guys to stay of Sarday too also if possible, because then you never know.
Speaker 1: That might decide to your daughter's back.
Speaker 3: Yeah. This mule that I.
Speaker 4: Brought up here for a friend of mine retired sect trip at Marietta, Oklahoma.
Speaker 3: He has not wrote this meal in five years.
Speaker 4: And she is literally he was worried about her a little bit, just because this mule will push through want to push through the bit just a little bit, not not aggressively, but see it right there. Yes, and she's and we've worked with it. But I'm gonna tell you the mule was not stepped on in five years. Casey after she got her liver lacerated. Two months later, she went to work for a gut Salasaul. Right after that, moved out here to course she's already living in Oklahoma the time moved out here, moved over sala sauce. She got healed up from the liver, went to settle a coat up, stepped on her steps on a coat, coat once up and falls on her. So Casey's nerve has gotten tested a little bit since just so many injuries. She broke her back when she's fourteen, liver lacerated it. But that she's she's been, Yeah, I mean that's been. That was two years ago. She got a liver lacerated. She's had a lot of injuries, and she she's not quite as nervy on stepping on one as she used to be. Yeah, and she's w you right first, I said, yeh, well, and so I'm I mean, I ain't. I ain't this first time I sit in the settle in four or five months because the hip that bossed me, I'm telling you. And we we lunged her for thirty seconds tops, just to see what she's going to do. You lunched out good. I mean I just stepped right on her and looked right down the road immediately. So that that's this here won't do her anything proper. That's the safety that people need to buy. I mean, turn them you all out for five years. Yeah, she's she might push you a little bit here there, yeah yeah, yeah, but she's not gonna hurt you. She's going to step off and right off.
Speaker 2: I wish we could see them all so that I could we could make a bet on what's going to be the high bed mule, red room, A red room.
Speaker 4: That's uh yeah, who's got that mule?
Speaker 3: Colton?
Speaker 1: It's a mule you actually know of?
Speaker 3: No, No, the kid kid, Yeah, he's as good. His parents are rain horse trainers.
Speaker 2: Now do you know a specific animal that he has here?
Speaker 4: He's Christie Hazard, his mama.
Speaker 3: Well whoever it is, don't think they trained rainer horses.
Speaker 4: And he's soft though. All I know is his mules. I'm telling you they'll have their head down level. They will ride as proper as they come. Uh yeah, that I forgot about that. Eddie is a nice people. That that mule will definitely be in the top five.
Speaker 1: Really, now, tell me about this mule.
Speaker 3: Max.
Speaker 2: I talked to this guy early a little bit. What do you I want to hear your assessment of this one.
Speaker 3: That is definitely a mule. I've noticed this young the ones he asked about the most are all stuck it legged.
Speaker 1: He's got no no.
Speaker 3: I did you have a girlfriend before your wife?
Speaker 1: Like Max said, I'm uncomfortable answering that question.
Speaker 4: Seriously, you dated a few girls high school, probably free mat you wife? Sure what colors are here?
Speaker 1: I'm not answering this question. I never dated a stocking legged girl.
Speaker 3: Okay, whatever color your watch here is?
Speaker 4: I better?
Speaker 3: Every girlfriend had the same color hair.
Speaker 1: I played the fifth.
Speaker 3: I did burn that once.
Speaker 2: I think probably I like a stocking leg of mule because the first good mule that I ever had was stocking that place and everything.
Speaker 1: I mean, just yeah, the first good coon dog you had, you like that, that breded dog.
Speaker 3: Take a take, kid when the one that me and you talked about it.
Speaker 4: I don't know if a record or not, but you know, Hollywood runt the mule image because there's always the comic relief that rode the mule always. Yeah, and that was I'm not saying that it was all mules in the West back in the day, but there was. Mules used a lot more than just teams and draft applications and pack applications and also the other thing that messed up mules. Is is there was so many mules used on a farm that you got Let's let's just say pretend my granddad didn't light mules, but he was forced to drive that mule all the time in the field.
Speaker 1: They just had a bad image.
Speaker 4: It's like everybody wants a molly mule, and it's old stigmatism because back in back in the day, on the smaller farms, not the big ranches out west, but the smaller farms had three or four milk cows and you know this sheep all that they'd run all their stock together and rotate their pastors based on where they throw on their crops. As a rule, a molly meule, when a cow has a calf, won't kill the calf. She'll try to take that cave away from the cow. She sh shoe, She'll keep that cow kicked off that calf and you born calf. Well, farmer, looks out, cow had the caf, I see it, mulee to enter, don't kich pick the cave up, carricked the.
Speaker 3: Barn and it's safe.
Speaker 4: The horse mule would kill the calf as a rule, paul to death. So in everybody's mind, molly mules are best.
Speaker 1: Molly mules and female horse meta.
Speaker 3: Trap and I despise merrior meule. I'd ride all.
Speaker 4: I would ride a mare horse before I ride a merrior me there when that when they're not in heat, there's good as they come. But I do not want to have to guess that things in heat when I go catch her horse. Muill may be a just a turd pick at you. Aggravate you all the time. Whatever, pressure you a little more, test you a little more. But you know when you go put your hawk turning that morning to go ride here, you know you're gonna deal with it.
Speaker 1: Do you have a preference over Molly or no.
Speaker 5: I've had I've had good and bad in both. The best meal I've ever had in my life with Grace, that was a Molly. I got her sold this year. I kept her for years, but she I got her soul real high. But my personal will now and my daughter's person will both John mules.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: So there's a boy here. He's from Camaggio, cam Running. He's been coming to this cell for a long long time.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: He wanted Molly mules, but he would get the spade. It would stop that that room you're talking about my mom. We had we bought a mele for her in nineteen ninety nine and looked just like that meal. I mean, I thought it was this mule reincarnated.
Speaker 3: And she that mule.
Speaker 4: She would come in heat almost on command if you hadn't wrote her for a month, and when you caught her you put a halter on, she'd come and eat, and you knew she's in heat because she was earshy when she was in heat, was not earshy any other time. And that mule was as nice and as broke as they come. But you had to beg everything she gave you for a horse mule A lot of times if they'll do something if you're dragging a log and you want to drag that log in a lope. If you ask a horsemal if he had done it before, he'll do it. But with it not asking a lot that marror me. We met to beg. Yeah that I got a wife and two daughters plus a son. But so I had three women in my life. I didn't want to have to ride one to go enjoy myself.
Speaker 5: Now, see this is probably one of the This is David Bourne trigger right, and he's one of the better trainers in the country. He's one of a bunch of mule trainers challenges. He goes around the country doing clinics. He used to be amish and jump the fence, whatever you want to call it. He's down in Antlers, Oklahoma now. But it's really good trainer. So you see the mule backing up like it's supposed to. Yeah, so you know, now you could probably give him any mule here and in sixty days it be right and just like that. But what I'm saying is when you're bidding on this mule, you're not just bidding that that's a good mule that you know, you're buying the training too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's been trained right and handled right. Yeah, and you know there's a there's a value to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that that might be a little bit older mule too, do you think. Yeah, so this is a.
Speaker 2: Black or a darker bay, darker brown colored mule, really nice like a mule, good and thick.
Speaker 3: It's nine years old, nine years old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that that animals in its prime, right, So that's that's one to look for. Well, Hey, I Josh, I think we're gonna and this keep going on.
Speaker 3: If you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we're we're there's one hundred mules that are going to go through this course, and we probably were probably on number thirty one, thirty one, so there's seventy more mules. But we hope you enjoyed getting to watch if you're watching on YouTube, but hopefully if you're listening, you've been able to follow along. And man, guys that know as much about Mules is Max and Justin. I learned a lot just hearing them talk.
Speaker 3: And uh, well, Clay, I do want to thank you for coming.
Speaker 4: I mean, I, like I said, I've been trying to get over for a year and a half visically you about Mules and I want I want this out. It was so ironically I've been trying to get you, hold you to get you to come here. Then you contact us like what's this? Yeah, so I really appreciate you coming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh man, thanks for your time. It's been it's good to meet you. Man.
Speaker 5: I've heard about you for years and stuff and all the stuff you do in Archadras and the stories you do.
Speaker 4: You're what you're doing with your podcast is great. I mean some educational stuff plus and fun stuff. I've been Turkey hunting once in my life, but I listened. When I don't listen to all your podcasts I share, but when I see turkey stories, I listen to them. I'm going to listen to turkeys and I don't turkey hunt, but I really enjoyed listening. And then tell Brent, I think you did, really did beat him in the who deal with Ah, I'm gonna call him out because he thinks I'm a stalker on Instagram.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he tried to get He tried to message Brent to tell me to come to the aid of mule Seal, but no. I A meal sales usually the second weekend in April.
Speaker 3: That was always the.
Speaker 4: Second Saturday of April, that being whatever falls in the first Setarday of October. Find us on Facebook a eight to Oklahoma mule sale. Go to our website Keillsomegos dot com. Our phone numbers are on the website. Any questions, any anything.
Speaker 3: Give us a call.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, thanks guys, Thank you,