Speaker 1: Hello, Welcome to the Credit Edge, a weekly markets podcast. My name is James Crumbie. I'm a senior editor at Bloomberg. This week, we're very pleased to welcome Randy Schwimmer, vice chairman at Churchill Asset Management.
Speaker 2: How are you, Randy, James. It's great to be with you.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for joining us today. We're very excited to hear your views. Also delighted to have back on the show as a co host. Mike Holland with Bloomberg Intelligence.
Speaker 3: Hello, Mike, Hey, James, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Welcome Randy, Mike. Great be with you.
Speaker 1: Thank you so Just to set the scene of it here, credit markets appear very calm and invests a long risk going into US election that some analysts say could be ruinous for the economy. It seems that there's a bit of complacency plus more demand than supply. Private debt has experienced a meteoric rise over the last few years. It's now a one point seven trillion dollar market, but it could well be worth tens of trillions of dollars when you wrap in all of the asset based finance. That looks like the next big wave rate cut expectations are being dialed down as the US economy stays hot. That will boost the appeal to investors of loans to companies which are floating so they pay more if treasury yields stay high. On the other hand, there are plenty of risks. Private credit critics worry about extremely fast growth and lack of transparency. Large portfolio managers like Pimco tell us that there's just not enough of a pickup in returns to make direct lending more appealing than public bond markets, which are also offering very high yields, and bonds are a lot easier to trade. At the same time, we're seeing more signs of private credit stress in the form of amendments, extensions and increasing number of loans being repaid with more debt, plus a rise in defaults. Regulators are also looking at the industry amid concerns any big blow up in private credit would hit banks which lend to private credit managers, and there are fears that yield chasing retail investors could get hurt. Some fear of major reckoning as too much money chases too few deals. As talk of the golden age in private credit continues and in the background, we have a lot of geopolitical risk and the threat of inflation and recession hasn't really gone out of the narrative at all. So a major downturn in the economy would obviously cause more distress in credit markets. Let's start there, Randy, what's your take? Is private credit still the place to be?
Speaker 2: James? That is a laundry list of things. And I will say that having been in the business for almost forty five years now, and when I started, it didn't have the very dignified name of private credit. It was actually called middle market lending. And I was doing it in the backwater of JP Morgan's sort of regional offices, lending to medium sized companies that the regional banks and some finance company, but mostly the regional banks were servicing. And in those days, in the early eighties, you know, there wasn't a lot of leverage. Leverage was a later discovery, later invention. It was mostly these medium sized companies who didn't necessarily have access to the big desks on Wall Street. And but what happened over time, and by the way, it was a great business. It was a very sleepy business. Commercial ending was relatively low risk. You were secured by all the assets you had. Amortization actually you know remember those remember that term actually repaying principle over time and in financial tests. And what happened, you know, as the banks started to consolidate, and it wasn't just a regulatory issue, it was actually you know, smaller banks merging with larger banks. And so you know, the JP Morgan is actually the Chase Manhattan part of the JP Morgan enterprise that I was part of what got merged into for Chemical and then JP Morgan. And this happened across the country. So you had you know, tens of thousands of banks, you know, now just a few thousand. And what happened during that period is that these regional banks who were lending to those medium sized companies kind of went away. And in that same period, people realized that there was all of this capital that needed somehow to be accessed by somebody, and the private credit market was really given birth by finance companies like ge Capital is a perfect example, or hell Or Financial that started up businesses and Churchill had its roots, our business had had its roots in that back in the early two thousands, you know, as a private equity backed business that saw an opportunity to we were not necessarily starting something new, we were taking business from the banks that were jettising it. And that what I call the great migration of loans that went from the banks regulated environment to the non regulated, the non bank environment, which really started probably in the kind of late eighties early nineties, definitely accelerated during the Great Recession, and then in the last ten years has really, you know, kind of finalized to the point where very little of leverage loans are actually held by banks anymore, the vast majorities in the hand of non banks, and as you recall, in twenty twenty two and twenty three, the bank market for lending was non existent. So what's happened has really not been an overnight success. We've gone from private credit, has gone from the backwater when I started to nounce the beachfront, and it's the beachfront for many reasons which I look forward to talking to you about. But a lot of those reasons were really driven by many needs won by the regulatory agencies who were saying, we want to get this off the balance sheets of banks onto non regulated lenders who don't aren't carrying deposits for customers that we have to worry about, and private equity sponsors and frankly, medium sized businesses who people forget. You know, the middle market in the United States is a very you know, it's a job creation engine. Half of the jobs that are created in the United States are coming from that middle market, and so financing those businesses is pretty critical to the healthy of the economy. If you took all of the say three hundred thousand companies that are between say five million in revenues and a billion in revenues, it would equal the it would be the third largest GDP on the planet, Okay, behind China and head of Japan. That's a huge market. And so what's happening is private credit quote unquote, which is now what this new middle market is being called, is being asked to finance all of these opportunities because the banks aren't there. So I think that you know, it is it's not something that I think should be viewed with alarm, but you know, frankly, as a constructive thing for the economy and for the capital markets as a whole.
Speaker 3: It's interesting you put it that way. You know, I think as we look back over the arc of financial innovation and what happened in the eighties with the jump bonds and Michael Milkin and maybe in the late nineties with market value CDOs which didn't go so well, and then we had clos which actually really ramped up in the early aughts. You had this increase of capital available to companies, right, So there was an augmentation of credit availability through the new structures of those clos which survived really well right during the financial crisis. I mean there was maybe one or two that had I don't think there are any corporate clos that had a triple A that was impaired, right.
Speaker 2: Maybe or even double A.
Speaker 3: Even double A, right, So, but it provided a massive amount of capital for M and A and for acquisitions over those years. And I wonder what your perspective is on on this latest innovation. Will this create a more benign credit environment because we'll have fewer defaults? Is the is the business default cycle? The corporate default cycle? Declient is the top of that coming down a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, James mentioned default rates, and that's a probably good place to start because one of the things that's different in the private markets than in the public markets is that handling troubled situations. And you and I had my co conversation before we started about the challenge of doing that in a public environment where you have investors or lenders or you know, vulture funds who come into these troubled situations at a discount, right, that's their job. They look at opportunities and they say, I'm going to buy into forty cents on the dollar, and their job is to get out at fifty cents on the dollar, sixty cents or more. Their job is not necessarily to get out of par whereas the direct lenders, the middle market lenders such as ourselves, you know, we're not in it to trade. We're in it to create growth and to create financing opportunities for investors, but also support our private equity clients. And so it's really a par market for us. And what we seek to do with our other lending partners is to create a situation where all the lenders are acting in an aligned manner to maintain value and preserve value, and if there's a problem with the company, to extract value out of that and the beauty of that in this in the middle market, by that, I mean companies whose financings are say one hundred million to five hundred million on average, that the lenders are all there to make sure that they can get out of this with their money back. Because in the credit market, it's not about the you know, an equity gain. It's not about you know, making money beyond the private the principal and interest that you're getting back. Your your job is to you know, get your money back with your interest in fees and that's it. And so you're not trying to do anything heroic. However, Mike, as you mentioned, in a sophisticated market that has technology surrounding it, there are many opportunities to create both kind of a syndicated similar to the COLO market, a syndicated product that allows investors to pick and choose among tranches depending on risk and return. The even syndicating within a private credit context. You know, liquidity trading within a private credit context is probably the next generation, and I think we're seeing that developing.
Speaker 1: It's kind of exciting, but also it's kind of assumes that you know, you're always doing the right sort of deals, You're always doing the diligence to pick the right sort of companies to see that there is some value We've had guests on this show over the last few months talking about the massive opportunity but also flagging the potential risks of what they have called tourists coming in who maybe aren't so sophisticated, not have such a long track record as you do, doing you know, quote unquote the wrong kind of deals which can go bad. Maybe there isn't the value there that people have ascribed to it going in. Do you think that there's more of that kind of activity now because there's so much demand for this product.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's so hard in this market as everyone has scaled, you know, and you've seen that happen, and I think commentators have talked about the growing dispersion of managers, and I think we're going to see that going forward. Scale really matters now. And if you come into this market today as a new entrant with no track record, I think it's really really hard to raise money. And if it's hard to raise money, then what that means is that you're probably going to be more of a you know, small desk that's looking for very specialized opportunities and those are really tricky. And I think that the beauty of where we are, which is very mainstream, very traditional middle market. These are companies that are like I say, you know, medium sized businesses, not upper middle market, not the broadly indicated market, and not in this in the small cap market, but businesses where you have enough scale so that private equity sponsors can create growth and can start with a platform business and then add on to create value for their shareholders, but not so large that you get into the large market where you start to see more of the excesses in terms of you know, what we see in the broadly syndicated market, what we see in the bond market, you know, covenant light, some of the you know, idiosyncrasies with collateral packages and trading value in and out of companies, and so it tends to be much more of a conservative playground. And I think if you stick to your knitting, you know, you can avoid some of the big problems that we've seen in other situations.
Speaker 1: But I'd say there is that potential for access is in the larger parts of the loan market and coding private credit. We were hearing, you know, some time ago that this was probably going to spread to the middle market in terms of you know, week of covenance, West pricing, west protections, all that stuff. Would you say right now that that's not the case, that they still better, you know, lenders market for the middle market than the broadly syndicator.
Speaker 2: It hasn't, and it's been a bit of a surprise, but in part the classic traditional middle market is inhabited by lenders such as ourselves that have long relationships with these private equity companies. So just to give you a little sense we have as part of our kind of SEP. You know, the thing that makes us different from the competition is we have about three hundred relationships as an LP as a limited partner and investor in three hundred different private equity sponsors. They're probably the krem de la creme of the middle market in North America out of probably you know, over twenty twenty five hundred maybe overall private equity sponsors. So we're in the sort of top tier as an LP and on their on their advisory boards, and so we have a special relationship really as a client as an investor to these sponsors. And when you're when you're in that relationship, you're getting all of their deal flow, and then you can be selective from that deal flow. So it's kind of like credentialed pipeline that's coming at you. We get about a thousand deals a year in our senior pipeline, and we end up getting about fifty or sixty that we like. So that's a pretty selective ratio. And so not only picking from the best of the sponsors, we're also picking the best industries that we like over over cycles that are going to be you know, created with all weather portfolio. But also then in the best industries, what are the best companies, what are the survivors, what are the businesses that really will be able to exist no matter what cycle or what rate environment you're in. So you end up with a sort of I think kind of I call it a triple filtered portfolio, which you can't get anywhere else. And so if you look at the way that we've constructed our business, it's very hard to come from the outside as a new entrant with no track record and try to get that relationship with that private ecory sponsor, build up the trust that you need in order to develop that relationship. Because in this market where you're actually financing these businesses that are hard won, I mean the auctions and the purchase base multiples is still relatively high for good companies. The sponsor is not going to hand over their keys to a lender that they don't trust. So that's why it's hard to break in.
Speaker 3: Going to back to the regulatory side for a little bit with the focus on the banks and you know, having been at Credit Swiss when they were going through leverage lending guidelines and you know, being told by the OCC and the FED that you can't model this company out to six times.
Speaker 2: We had a lot of rules.
Speaker 3: I did a lot of work that was sent to them basically telling them about our leverage lending position, which I thought was really interesting. Since that time, the bank is no longer really doing that anymore. It's had its own issues and it's you know, it's kind of progressed. I wonder, you know, also as a healthcare analyst, looking at what the way the regulators look at private equity right now, you know, how does how do you envision the regulators putting in place a regime that would monitor and really be able to keep track of these loans that are out there, and would they go down to that certain level of looking at like you know, leverage, you know, over a specific time frame, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it's hard to predict what they will do, but and they're certainly aware of it, right, I think that's pretty clear. I think it's it's probably a misnomer to say that we are in an unregulated market. I know that, you know, we are owned by an insurance company TIA and New Veen, who are you know, regulated by the SEC and by the Insurance Can Mission and so forth, So there's plenty of regulations around our business. I think the thing that that has been the big focus, and we saw that a year and a half ago with the you know, failure three key banks that what you know, the focus you know, is often on the depository community, right, and what happens when they don't realize that their bank is investing in or you know, playing in leverage loans. And in the case of those failures, you know, that was not an issue, right, Silicon Valley Bank was not involved in playing right, So it was a mismatch of assets and liabilities. And I think the beauty of the non bank world and what we discovered twenty years ago and when we started Churchill was that if you match your your assets, your long term assets with long term liabilities with investors in the institutional market, where you can go out and raise tenure money that matches the ten years of your assets, then you're locked in for a long period time. And the beauty of that is through the cycles we found that out going through the Great Recession, when we survived that through COVID, through the mini cycles that we've seen, is that having that match on the asset and liability side really creates real strength. And I think the issues that have come up, so for example, having defaults in the middle market that would migrate to the banks or migrate to the to the banking system, all of that I think has been really disproven. Nobody really seriously thinks that. I think that that middle market loans that are held in our case in a very diverse portfolio where no one name represents more than you know, one or two percent of the total portfolio, that if something goes wrong with one or two, or three or five of those names, that that's going to spread out through the system. I think the more and this is really the focus of what we do in our newsletter that you guys read, the Lead Left, which I've been publishing every week since March of two thousand and eight, we have about fifty thousand subscribers. And the thing that people tell me about it is that, you know, we tend to demestify and educate, which is really the goal of private credit, and the goal of these kinds of you know podcasts and the work that I do with your radio team is to get the word out for what private credit really is and what it isn't. And the only way that you can kind of tell is to talk to practitioners, because these are not public entities. There's no yet, there's no Bloomberg you know app that says, Okay, here's here's Churchill's you know portfolio. Now one day maybe we'll get there. But I think the understanding the differences between private markets and public markets, between liquidity and illiquidity, between correlation and non correlation, which is one of the things that's a real virtue of private credit that it does not trade when the rest of the market does. And one of the reasons that it has grown over the last fifteen years is that investors have seen, during periods of volatility, how the valuations of the loans that are held by lenders like Churchill and that they own don't move around in the same way, and so there's some comfort there. It doesn't mean that they're going to put all of their capital into private credit, but it means now that it's become really a core asset of their alternatives allocation.
Speaker 1: You've told to me, and you know, before we started recording this about the biggest misguided conclusions in private credit. Hopefully not too many of them on mine. I won't be offended if they are. But but can you expand a bit on that. What do you mean by that?
Speaker 2: Well, we talked about liquidity, right, and middle market loans are not liquid, right. You can't trade them. There's no real index, you can't call up even I mean, there are some larger direct lenders who will make a market, you know, in their own asset if they have the loan on their books. You know, they will work hard to find a buyer if you're a seller or vice versa. But they're not liquid in the sense that you the way the public markets are liquid. And I think it's import to know that because you know, as we start to go, you know, we get the retailization of private credit, that the understanding that these are really different types of assets. Then the public markets will help educate investors as to the you know, what's possible and what's not possible. So getting your money out instantly the way you can, you know, out of your you know, checking account is just it's not the same kind of thing. I think that. So liquidity is really important to understand. Along with that, I think is valuation. So one of the myths about private credit is that you know valuations because they're not public, are therefore suspect that is not true anymore than if you have a public valuation out there, that it is a real valuation. And I you know, Mike, like you've worked on a trading desk, and I know that if you know, I have a particular loan that's marked at a certain price, it doesn't mean that somebody calls me up can get it at that price. And so often it's just a a guess, an indication, you know, well, we think this is where it's going to trade. And as we also know, in times of high volatility, liquidity can evaporate, and when that happens, what you think is worth part can be worth far less. And we've seen in the public markets periods, and COVID was a perfect example, when you had this huge what I call an emotional discount in the values of loans in that period in March April of twenty twenty when you couldn't get a bit, and when that happens, their liquidity evaporates. And interestingly, in that same period, the valuations of private loans were very stable because they couldn't trade, they were sort of locked in. I think there's suspicion though, that not being able to trade means that there's uncertain value. And so the way that direct lenders have combated that is they have hired third party valuation experts. We have at least three separate, independent to companies who come in and value all of our three hundred loans every quarter. And when they do that, they're basically applying certain methodologies regarding the fundamental performance of those companies. They're also looking at the mark to market in the liquid market and saying, all right, if things are moving the liquid market, it probably will have some impact on medium sized loans, and then they make a determination based on the formula as to what that value is. And if you have three independent including your own Churchill led group that's doing those valuations, you're probably going to get a pretty good assessment of what that real value is. But if you're not an investor and you don't have access to that information, it's a little bit like you know, a helicopter above a factory. You don't really know what's going on to go inside.
Speaker 1: Right, So sort of underlying hard assets that what they're valued at, and all of that contributes to what the ultimate value of the loan is. It's not just like.
Speaker 2: The well it's it's in our case it's mostly cash flows. Cash flows repay debt because you know, they're not the assets. But and really what happens in the real world is that as these companies perform, you keep track and all the good direct lenders have teams dozens of people in our case who track these loans on a monthly basis, and and if they go off their budget, you you know, rate them lower. If they're higher than budget, you rate them higher, and you track them and if they're if they go off performance. And this goes back to sort of the the third myth, which is defaults. You know, the the the idea of having a default in a private credit deal is very, very different than in the large cap market. The large cat market. As we've talked about, there are no financial tests in the sense of being maintenance tests. They're in currence tests, which means that they're not measured until you actually, as a bar or, try to get more debt, and then they say, okay, what's the leverage. So if you don't raise me more debt, the performance of the company could deteriorate to zero and you wouldn't know it until your interest payment to faults. It's typically not the case in the market their financial tests, and so what happens is there are stops along the way. There's elevator stops along the way where you can assess, okay, how's the company doing now? And if you trigger those stops, then everybody gets to gather around the table and say, all right, what's going on to the private equity sponsor, what are you doing about it? How can we help you? And the stops along the way allow you to take steps that will modify or mitigate whatever's going on with these businesses. So the result of that historically has been, and there's long data that supports this, that defaults and losses in smaller companies is better than in the larger companies. For that very reason, lenders tend to cooperate in these medium sized businesses. And as I mentioned earlier, the desk mike that you were on, where you might take advantage of an opportunity. If you get out and force everybody else to get out seventy cents, then those people who got in at par kind of stuck. And so I think defaults have a very different dynamic in the middle market. And what we've seen in the last nine months has been the defaults for middle market companies have actually gone down this year, which is surprising given the high rate environment that we're in, but it's an indication that for experienced investors and lenders like ourselves, we have a playbook that we've been using for a long time.
Speaker 1: And do you think that holds despite all of this competition, all of this money coming in, all this new money coming in, that you think these god rails, these stuffs will not be eroded.
Speaker 2: So there's two issues. One is and we'll talk about the money coming in separately, but one is the hot Let's take the high rate environment that we're in. I don't think that rates are going to be going down as swiftly as some I think that the strength in the economy, which I don't know about you two, but has really surprised me that, in light of the fact that rates are so high and the FED is determined to keep inflation at bay, that the economy seems to be humme and along at a two and a half three percent clip. So they may be a little more careful about dropping rates quickly to not ignite inflation. And if that happens, we're going to be in a high rate regime longer than we think, which means that the portfolios that people have out there with benchmarks that are at five percent are going to have to endure that because that's if you add this loan spreads on top of that, that's a you know, ten eleven, twelve percent cost of capital. Now, if you've already, as we do, you know, assume that those rates are going to be higher for longer, you've probably inoculated your portfolio against trouble. But for those who have not, or have overlevered companies and now suffering from result, that's where you're going to see the issue, not from necessarily competition come in coming in. I think where the competition element, which is I think a really good one, because it's always coming up as an issue in private credit. But if you look overall, there are plenty of people who are doing different things, and that's really I think part of the understanding that hopefully I can get across here in our newsletters is that private credit is a big tent. And in fact, direct lending, which is really the sub specialty that we inhabit, is maybe fifty percent of the trillion and seven that's in the asset class. The rest is comprised of special situations, you know, it's subdebt, junior capital workout, asset based lending, venture debt.
Speaker 3: I had a question just you know, you're talking about rates for higher for longer. There's been a pivot in the last couple of weeks, pretty hard, right, So since since the eighteenth of September the fifty a half point cut, you know, treasuries have kind of gapped out by about seventy seventy basis points across the curve except for the front end, and the front end obviously is inverted, but you've seen the frontend come in a little bit. I think going forward, what's your expectation on SOFA how that impacts your portfolio companies. You know, if they're getting sofa plus five hundred plus four hundred, you getting eleven percent? Are you modeling twelve thirteen percent? Are you keeping it static? And the other question too, I would have is follow on that is, if rates do continue to elevate, can you singularly modify your agreement? So could you change the margin on one of your loans who won the companies you're in your direct lending portfolio?
Speaker 2: So that's an easy one, typically not in a normal situation. Pricing is one of those things that you know you need the cooperation of the bar and the other lenders. But your other question is a good one because we're in a very interesting rate environment right now. And I like to say that, and Mike, you being on the trading floor, you know this just as a regular thing of being a trader, that inflection points is where it's all at, right, because you can go along when rates are stable, the economy stable, expectations are stable. But when you come to the point you can kind of census if you've been around long enough, when things are going to change, right, rates are going to go uprates are going to go down. Something different is going to happen and what you do when that happens is, if you've had enough experience, is you look at look around you, and you say, what do I need to do, if anything, to change what I'm doing. The beautiful part about private credit, if you've been doing it long enough, is that you expect inflection points at any time. So for example, in twenty twenty, actually in late twenty nineteen, you remember that everybody was calling for some sort of recession, right, nobody knew when it was going to happen, And I was asked it may have been on Bloomberg, you know, whether I thought that we were going to head into or and I had been I was always wrong. I was to think we were. Yes, I said, you know, I'm always wrong, but maybe this time I'm right, and maybe maybe we will head into recession. Well I was right, but for the wrong reasons, because three months later we had COVID. But what we in our portfolio had done and have been doing since two thousand and six is expect a recession in the next twelve months. So when we look at alone, we assume that the performance of that company is going to go down twenty percent. Revenues and cash flow. The following year, and let's see how the company does in that environment. We also with rates, expect rates to be generally in the forward curve, except recently we basically said, okay, we just think it's going to be five percent flat. We don't think it's going to come down, because what if it doesn't. And so what we do is we model those two things a recession and a high rate environment, and if the company's performance in that projection doesn't cover interest with a cushion, we're not going to do the deal. So we actually don't care where rates go or whether they're you know, what's going to happen with the economy when we pick a company. And I talked about the private equity sponsors who are trafficking in business services or healthcare or defensive sectors that we've learned over time to be playing in and not to do more cyclical consumer facing commodity, gaming, real estate, and energy, because then if you do hit a cycle, those industries tend to do worse. So in the more defensive sectors, we feel more comfortable that no matter what happens, we're going to be okay. And over time we've actually learned to be alert to some private equity sponsors who are picking areas. So for example, right now, just to pick some interesting ones. Measuring equipment, which is, you know, when you have an economy which is generally flat, maybe slight growth, companies are looking to improve their performance and production lines and so forth. Manufacturaturing facilities, measuring equipment all of a sudden has become super important, particularly with AI as a guiding technological factor, which help companies do things that they couldn't do before. Environmental consulting and engineering companies. It's a big area of concern. People are very focused on it, big area of growth. Accounting services sounds pretty mundane, pretty simple, but we've seen with even some very large private equity firms who have been buying large accounting services. Again, these are businesses that tend to do well. You owe taxes no matter what the rate cycle is, and so these are the kinds of areas that sponsors are buying and selling. And we find that if we play in those areas, regardless of where the rate cycle the economics app is going to be, we're going to be okay. So at the end of the day, looking at your rate scenario, mic, I think we're probably you know, indefferent, but we do think that we're going to be higher for a lot longer, more than most people think.
Speaker 3: You're on the funding side of the BDCSS permanent capital, right, but you know with celos, you have got you've got you know so far on both sides, and it kind of passes through. How does the how does middle market lending? How do BDC's what's their exposure to changes in rates?
Speaker 2: So, yeah, one of the lessons that we and other direct lenders learned a long time ago, particularly through the Great Recession, was to have a multitude and a variety of financing sources, So don't just have one line of credit with a bank, but have multiple financing sources and also frankly in the form of structures of funds. So you mentioned BDC's. We have I think over fifty types of fund structures at Churchill, both from our senior and junior capital businesses. We have an entire group a team that does fund finance, that is responsible for the care and feeding of those vehicles for or leverage in those vehicles. We utilize and I think you mentioned this earlier. You know, we utilize banks to help us with our capital and our leverage, so we make sure and all those are typically match funded to our assets. And I was asked this question by an investor. I didn't know the answer. I thought, I, did you know, do your your assets that flowers? Do your liabilities have flowers? The answers yes, So we're really match funded from that perspective, And that's a lesson learned and I think all the large scaled direct lenders have that.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you a really basic question, ready, what does middle market actually mean? And what does it mean in terms of deals? I mean a deal size deal ten of that's sort of thing that average you know, that's.
Speaker 2: A great question. So there's three middle markets. There's the lower middle market with companies that are say ten to fifteen million of cash flow and lower. There's the upper middle market there are one hundred million of yabadah and higher, and the traditional middle market, the middle middle market, which is between kind of twenty and one hundred of you. So those that translates to about one hundred million of financing to five hundred maybe a billion of financing an the average five years, five to seven year. It usually doesn't last that long. They usually get refinanced out. These are medium sized companies and the in general. These businesses are sourced by private equity firms. Not always there, they're lenders who have non sponsored and then they have their own sourcing mechanisms. But the beauty that we found of having private equities doing the sourcing for you is that they first of all, you only have to call on the private equity sponsors, not actually having hundreds of people in branches to actually traffic the United States. And you know, that's what I did when I was first in business, and it's a lot more efficient this way. So the other thing when you have a private equty sponsor that's sourcing deals for you, if you're investing in their funds is we are you kind of know what they're looking for, and they will tell you what their edge is, what is their angle, what do they like about this business that makes them think it's a good investment. And I mentioned some of the sectors that are attractive. One of the things that you learn by partnering with these private equity sponsors is that there are certain industries in the middle market, in these small regional areas where they can find a niche and build a platform, buy a business and then create acquisitions around it. Car washes, which sound very mundane, are opportunities like that for sponsors to be able to go into a local market find a car wash that's actually automated, right because they are now I mean literally there's only a couple of people working there automated. So you have high efficiencies, high cash lows. They're buying from the same vendors for their their soap and whatever else they're buying. And if you combine one, two, three, five, twelve in the region, all of a sudden, now you've got real scale in the business. The same is true of things like commercial landscapers. Guess what during COVID, commercial landscapers actually did okay. Why because even though the buildings were empty, the owners of the buildings wanted to keep things going right, and so they had to mow the lawn, trim the hedges, you know, plow the snow, and so commercial landscaping companies turned out to be very good defensive bets. So all of these areas in the middle market become have these niche leaders in businesses that tend to be very stable through economic cycles, and the beauty of what we're doing and what others are doing as well, is that being in the ground almost literally with these businesses tends to insulate us from the outside world. Meaning when you know, even though think about it, we've got two kind of rather global wars going on right now, America itself has been relatively unaffected by that, and so when investors look at a safe haven in the United States, they're looking for businesses that are not going to be impacted. Now, it's not to say that with three hundred thousand companies in the United States that somebody is not going to have, you know, some buying buying material from overseas or having sales center somewhere where you may be impacted by a war. But generally speaking, it's much more of a of a less correlated asset class as a result.
Speaker 1: But can you tell us about the price and about the returns? I mean, generally the investors like private credit because the returns are higher than in public markets because you're getting paid for you know, presumably more risk and less liquidity. Those are the least that's the perception. I know you've debunked some of those myths, But where is the price right now? How does it compare to broadly syndicates where we're seeing a huge amount of repricing all of the issues. You know, they're coming back even a month after doing a deal saying we want to reprice it lower. Everyone's going to cut. Where is the price and where is it going?
Speaker 2: In the private markets, it's not so much price as it is as valuation, right of lolans what are they worth? But also if you think about from an investor's perspective, what is the yield? What's the overall yield of this asset? Right? And so Mike's point about the benchmark, So with the benchmark being five percent, it's a lot different yield than it was when the benchmark was zero.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: And what we've seen in this quote golden Age of credit is that the benchmark has gone from zero to five percent. Right, that's great, And the overall yield now is up to almost twelve percent for a middle market, Right, It's come back a little bit. And so when you see these headlines that say, oh, middle market spreads are compressing, okay, there's compressing from all time record highs of maybe six hundred and fifty bases points two more in line with historic averages kind of five to five fifty. That's been what they've been. You know, if you go back for twenty years, you need a little perspective. So will the yield start to come down as the benchmark comes down? Yes, will they come down, maybe a little bit slower than we think, That's that's my view, But they will come down. And whether they'll come down, whether the benchmark will come down to zero, you tell me. I don't know whether or not will end up or may ever end up with that situation. It feels like with so many things going on, we haven't even talked about that, you know, the federal deficit, yet, with so many things going on that could potentially create inflation down the road, it's very possible that we may be in a position where the benchmark is going to kind of be in that three ish percent longer than anybody thinks, in which case the yields on private credit will will stay higher for longer. But nevertheless, over many, many years, we've seen what has been called, and I think it's a misnomer, but has been called an ill liquidity premium. So you, Mike, as a public buyer, are going to say, you know what I can train and get, you know, a single bo fifty over okay, maybe a week single be a three fifty over all, right, well, okay, great. If I'm going to own a middle market asset, then I want to have at least a couple hundred basis points because I can't trade it, so I want a premium to that. What investors are realizing slowly is that having that two fifty or three fifty, you know, as a cheaper version when it may go south quickly on, you may not be as great a trade as they as they think. And so actually having a premium which is called an illiquidity premium, which I might call a liquidity rather than an inliquidity, but a liquidity premium because by having less correlation and being more stable, you know, I'm also getting a two hundred basis point premium for that. That's pretty attractive, and so over time, if you know, all things being fair, you would think that the markets would would us a little bit. But it's very hard to shake this feeling from the public view that these ill liquid assets are somehow trickier to value and therefore I'm just going to demand more of a yield.
Speaker 1: And you think the margin on private credit middle market stays around five point fifty well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's nothing right now to suggest that it's going to approach anything close to where the public market is. We think that a lot of what happens with spreads is more supply demand. And what's interesting now is that even though there's supposedly more competition coming into the space and more lenders, there's now more which would be more demand, right, there's now more supply.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So you can look at some of our favorite content providers who on the lead left and elsewhere that are showing that the M and A market is actually picking up. Effect of the end of the third quarter, we're starting to see more deal flow that's being triggered by lower financing costs. We think as more deal flow comes into the market, that will have a stabilizing effect on spreads.
Speaker 1: But five hundred is set of your expectations for how it shakes out at the end of the year and keeps going into next year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think there's always particularly for some of the larger issuers again close to that upper middle market range one hundred million epit done so forth will always be subject to poaching, if that's the word from the banks, or frankly even from some of the larger direct lenders in order to stay competitive because remember they're also raising a lot of money and they got to put money to work. So you could see a little bit of a ragged edge at that lower price point. But again, the beauty of our model is that we don't have to stretch. You know, we have plenty of deal flow coming in to spreads that we like.
Speaker 3: So when I said two fifty over, I was referring to unsecured bonds, right, okay, in my head thinking about Tavita and some of these names out there in the public domain. But your loans are an LTV that's got it's a senior secured loan. But what may be the sort of Paul Park LTV, you know when we're talking about that, So compare that gas the unsecured great question.
Speaker 2: So the dynamic, and this goes back to some of the things about purchase price multiples and competition. So as by the way, I'll give a shout out to my friends at Lincoln International. They do a great job of both valuations but also keeping track of purchase price multiple So because they're valuing all the loans in private credit portfolios BDCs and so forth, so they've got thousands of loans that they value, and they also keep track of the purchase price multiples that private equity sponsors are paying. And even though over the last several years, since twenty one twenty twenty one, which was kind of a high water mark in terms of M and A, the number of M and A deals has come down, the deals that are getting done are getting done in sectors that are actually more growthy, so the business sector, business service sectors that I mentioned earlier, healthcare, software and so forth. And the purchase price multiples therefore, of these businesses that have tended to do well through cycles has actually been sustained more than I would have thought. So it peaked at I'm going to say somewhere in the twelfth to twelve and a half times cash flow level for these businesses back in twenty one, it's come down to maybe eleven and a half ish eleven, low eleven, something like that. So it's not actually deteriorated that much. But because of the high cost of debt capital, the leverage that is being applied to these businesses had to be lower. So what was you know, like a five or six times multiple now is more like four times four to four and a half, four to maybe five. The result of that, to your question, is that the loan to value has gone from kind of forty fifty percent maybe three years ago to thirty five percent today. That's a record low as far as I remember. And so the value proposition for people who are you know, like ourselves, who are enjoying record years this year, is that the portfolio we're building has much greater cushion in it relative you know, the cash equity that these sponsors are putting in relative to the amount of debt that they can apply on these balance sheets, just because of the high cost of debt.
Speaker 1: Kapital the record yeah, for fundraising or for returns.
Speaker 2: Well pretty much both for us. I'm just speaking for Churchill. I mean we I wake up January first thinking it's going to be a miserable year. I'm sort of, you know, just expecting the worst. Yeah, and then you know, lo and behold, our model actually works. And now you know, we've had some tailwinds we have. You know, we we have great partnership with our parent company at TIA Neuvene that we work well with. We have our our new addition to the family, Archmont that we added to the Navine Private Capital business a year and a half ago. We're great partners with them. They are European direct lending partner and work you know, really hand in hand with them. So I think that, look, the opportunity set for private credit has never been better. I think that we're entering into, going back to the inflection point issue, a really interesting world right now because high rates are going to linger, which means that people have to be careful. Nevertheless, M and A is picking up, which means that for investors who have been starved for distributions, we haven't even talked about DPI, we haven't used those letters yet start for distributions. They're now starting to see some of the iceberg melting. And I think investors LPs who invested in fund six and we're you know, we're being asked by this monsor, Hey, we'd love you to invest in fund seven, and like, great, I haven't gotten any money back on Fund six. Now going to start to get money back. When they start to get money back, they're going to start putting money in fund seven. And when money starts going to Fund seven, then those sponsors are going to start investing when they invest, they're going to be coming to Churchill for financing. So you're going to start to see over the next eighteen to twenty four months, I think kind of an unwinding of some of the stuck nature of where we've been in terms of the cycle. And this tends to be going cycles where one thing leads to another, and I think freeing up of capital which will lead to more investing, which will lead to more fundraising. So I think there is a virtuous cycle that we look forward to experiencing over the next twenty four months.
Speaker 1: How much of that money coming back comes from cholesterolized fund obligations do you think, Oh.
Speaker 2: That's a great question. I think a fair share. Yeah. I mean the innovation, as we talked about at the top, Mike, you know, James, is you know, really exciting to watch in the technology that's being applied to both on the fund structuring side as well as on the financing side. And one of the things, for example, that we're doing at Churchill is the secondary's market. So in the absence of realizations from sales of companies, LPs and gps are looking for liquidity and so being able to go to these LPs and GPS and saying, hey, we have a way of actually freeing value of from your portfolios, from your fund investments to give you the ability to go out and do other stuff with that, both on the secondary side as well as on the so called nav financing side or friends that to ark one have a business that's basically looking at the asset value of the of these businesses as a wholesale matter and saying we can lend against portfolios, against funds, against the value of the companies. That kind of sophistication which is really exciting to watch, is you know, in an asset class that's growing the way private credit is. I mean, it's you know, it's it's fun.
Speaker 1: But when you use those acronyms and you talk about innovation, you know, going back to misguided conclusions, people tend to worry. People you know, have been asking me for you know, probably twenty years, when is the collateralize the COLO market, when's that gonna blow up? Because there's this uh you know, missed understanding that it's the same as CDOs that caused the finish question. But is there is there you know, is this innovation does any of it worry? Is there any for us out there, Randy.
Speaker 2: That you worry about well, you know, being a part time journalist, James, I'm always worrying, you know. I I having been in this business for so long and having been on the large cap side, worked at big banks, I've watched the excess. You know. My sort of favorite saying is, you know, in the capital markets, anything worth doing is worth overdoing. So it's it is a challenge and sometimes you just wish that there would be more restraint. But the reality is, and I write about this a lot, capital finds its own level. That's the truth. Capital finds its own level. It finds It definitely fills a vacuum. And the beauty of the system, the capital system in the United States is it is so there's so much creative capital being put to work today. We tend to be spoiled because we don't we don't realize how lucky we are. I mean, I look around at you know, from the Bloomberg Studio, you know, one of the foremost media companies on the planet, and looking at all of the exciting stuff going on that you report about every day. I mean, we're really blessed in New York City to be you know, part of this ecosystem where companies can come to capital in all sorts of forms, and it's being created every day, not just with private equity firms. But you know, think about these medium sized companies that are getting capital. The challenge is that we need to get more of it out to them. If you think about the three hundred, two hundred three and one thousand companies that form this middle market in the United States, only five percent is are owned by private equity firms. That means that ninety five percent of the country's middle market companies don't have access to equity capital. They can't go publicly, they're too small. And so I think one of the big challenges of the next ten years, you know, is how to keep the capital growth going. And one of the beauties I think of getting more retail and wealth exposure to the asset class is being able to look more broadly for opportunities in the market to access capital, because you know, we are spoiled. The ability to access capital the United States is unparalleled.
Speaker 1: Given that, I mean, how do you maintain fair value? You know, there is so much demand, there isn't enough assets out there. We're seeing spreads all over the place compressed. We saw the triple B spread on public bonds at the titles since nineteen ninety eight. Last week, everything just seems very very tight. But on the other hand, everyone just seems really very calm and collected. Those disconnects they tend to.
Speaker 2: Worry me a bit. But what about you, Well, you used the word the top complacency. I think there's that word does not exist in the Churchill vocabulary. There is because we're expecting the worst tomorrow. We were but battened down, We're ready. Complacency it is not our vocabulary. We are alert, and I think this is the true case with many of the experienced lenders out there. I think we're in a very unusual point. Going back to this inflection point, I do not think that this period will last. It never does. There's always going to be something, whether it's the elections or something else that triggers more of a risk off parameter. The thing that we and you've experienced this when stuff happens and headline risk emerges from places that you could not have imagined. The challenge when you own correlated assets, and we saw this in twenty two for sure, is that everything trades down right at once, because it can there's this emotion that gets into the water that's very hard to resist. The thing that we like about our asset class is that it resists that it's not perfect. It does tend to rhyme, resonate a little bit, but it tends to not behave exactly the way the liquid markets do. And that's the challenge if you're an investor right now and you're looking at this market and you're thinking, okay, look at look at how far the public markets have gone. Look at the records that that down the S and P have set this year, and it's really remarkable in an era which I thought we'd be headed into the fourth quarter with all the election issues and so forth, you know, and with the vics much higher than it is, something will happen. And when it does, those of us who are, you know, again in a little different part of the gym will feel better.
Speaker 1: It might be, but there is no hedge to to you know, if you if you're staring down this volatility, there's nothing you can I mean, you can bitcoin and go that sort of thing, but there isn't I mean, or as you say, just sit on the loans and don't do it do anything.
Speaker 2: Well and again through many, many years, these private loans and let's let's even broaden it out to alternatives, right. One of the things that has been interesting about the alternative space, and Uveen is a multi hundred billion dollar investor in alternatives with real estate and infrastructure and timberland and various other assets that are extremely important in a diversified portfolio when you have fixed income and public equities and everything else. And as an investor, diversity is really critical, right, And so being in something which doesn't have isn't as correlated and private capital is in that category. Investors were very sophisticated, are now looking at this as something that they need in order to feel like if we go into a storm, there will be some stability in a portion of their portfolio. So I think the other issue is that if you are looking for yield, right, so the credit part provides you with income an income stream right at that hopefully ten to twelve or wherever we're at now, but you know even that a seven to nine percent, you know, we have equity options as well, so we have co invest options, we have junior capital options. You know, we have the secondaries option where you can get more of a yield, more of an equity like yield. So still coming out of the the core investment thesis that we have around private equity sponsors that again we're getting this pre approved you know, pipeline of deals coming from but instead you know, structuring it more of as an equity product. So you know, the more opportunities that we have to take the financing options that we're creating for our private equity sponsors and creating opportunities for investors to benefit from the yield and stability in those products. I mean, that's kind of what we live for.
Speaker 1: You've talked about undiscovered value, so I was wondering if you could put your finger on what's the best single credit market opportunities are the relative value. You know, we haven't talked about the rest of the world. We tended to be mostly in the US, but bi sector by country, is there anything out there that you think people are missing?
Speaker 2: Well, speaking for my European colleagues, what's kind of cool right now about what they're doing in Mattison was on with on Credit Edge with you previously. You know, the spreads in European direct lending is pretty high. Right now relative to the US now, their benchmark is lower, but the opportunities that they're seeing are and based on my visits there and things that I'm hearing from their investors, are pretty exciting. I think the what's hiding in plain sight for us, the opportunity, the undiscovered in a way, is this traditional middle market where we have found that, for very odd reasons, there are actually fewer competitors today than there were pre COVID. So in part, I think it's because some of the larger direct lenders have gone up market for opportunities, and we've seen that particularly in the twenty two to twenty three timeframe when the laws were offline, So a number of the larger managers went up market and sort of did kind of the bond replacement bank replacement business and left the middle market kind of to us and the small cap lenders who weren't able to create scale to take you know, these financings, you know, with one commitment letter the way we can in the middle market. So as a result, we probably only have a small handful of lenders that we're competing against. So this right now is kind of undiscovered value that you know is hiding in plain sight.
Speaker 1: Wait till this goes out. Tons of competition. Randy Schrimer, vice chairman at Church Lasset Managements, and pleasure having you on the Credit Edge.
Speaker 2: So many thanks James, Mike, thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 1: And of course I'm very grateful to Mike Hollin from Bloomberg Intelligence. Thank you for joining Mike. Thanks guys for more Credit analysis. Read all of the Mike Collins work on the Bloomberg terminal. Bloomberg Intelligence is part of our research department, with five hundred analysts and strategists working across all markets. Coverage includes over two thousand equities and credits and outlooks on more ninety industries and one hundred market industries, currencies and commodities. Please do subscribe to The Credit Edge wherever you get your podcasts. We're on Apple, Spotify and all other good podcast providers including b Podgo on the Bloomberg Terminal, give us a review, tell your friends, or email me directly at Jcromby eight at Bloomberg dot net. I'm James Crombie. It's been a pleasure having you join us again next week on the Credit Edge.