Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news. I'm Matt Miller and I'm Hannah Elliott, and this is Hot Pursuit.
Speaker 2: All right. We have a break from guests this week, which is pretty good. And I think this could be the first time I've ever remembered to promo the email address at the top of the show. It would be great for people to email us and give us questions, topics, suggestions. Our email address.
Speaker 1: Is Hot Pursuit at Bloomberg dot net.
Speaker 2: Nice Hot Pursuit at Bloomberg dot net. And we do have awesome guests coming up, like next week we have Tom Wagner, which I'm super excited about.
Speaker 1: I know, and we also have Soon Haggerty coming up too.
Speaker 2: Yes, so a couple of in different ways giants of the industry, titans really titans.
Speaker 1: Soon as a petite will but her impact.
Speaker 2: Well it's large Haggarty or Haggarty or I never know exactly how to say it, but they've just their presence has grown exponentially, right.
Speaker 1: And Publand Company, Now, yeah.
Speaker 2: It's not it's like media because I always see like Jason Tomissa videos and that he works for them. And podcasts. They have a podcast Carmulogen and others. I think they obviously have the insurance, they have the auctions.
Speaker 1: And Soon's really interesting because she has been a lot of the brains and savvy behind that.
Speaker 2: All right, so I'm looking forward to that. And then Tom Wagner runs Nighthead Capital. They own at least Big Steaks in singer In, which is obviously for some reason the most important Portia restaurad company.
Speaker 1: I don't really have I mean, what have they been around fifteen years now?
Speaker 2: I think he's related to the guy from Iron Maiden, right, yes, so, and they own Revology, which is a company I'm kind of obsessed with. They build They build new nineteen sixty eight Mustangs. They obviously they own Herts, which is selling seven hundred you've heard of Herts fifty million dollars in debt right now. They own Yoda, a racing team. Oh yeah, just I think they is.
Speaker 1: This is the money behind a lot of name brands that we know and might not think that they're all actually under the same ownership.
Speaker 2: All right. All of this to say, if anybody has any questions for Soon or Tom, for Hagarty, or what should we ask Nighthead? Yeah, please message us and then we have a lot of stuff to talk about. You have a story on the terminal about a car I don't know anything about, so I'm excited. You have a story about the Huron successor the Bugatti Bugotti. So and I'm driving a couple of interesting cars. And also, you got married.
Speaker 1: I did get married on Monday. I'm so start.
Speaker 2: Let's start with that because it was so much fun and it was great. So you marry Magnus Walker. Yes, my fella, famous designer, collector, real estate magnate. Yes. Always.
Speaker 1: He's just the best. He is such a.
Speaker 2: Kind and generous person.
Speaker 1: I love him so much. He's a good man.
Speaker 2: And I was really honored to be invited to the wedding, which was on a Monday morning in Washington Square Park. And I I tell everybody that I went because I'm so excited. I'm so proud of myself. But everyone's like, why why on a Monday morning? So why why did you do it on a Monday morning?
Speaker 1: Just felt right? You know, we're not exactly conventional sorts. You know, honestly, for a month we kind of thought we might elope all together and just do a way. We wanted to keep it simple and we wanted to keep it just us, and you know, it just felt simple and nice. And I had a friend who I really wanted to be there, who was leaving for Paris Monday night. So a big reason why we had it Monday morning is because we wanted her to be able to be with us. But Washington Square is a part that Magnus really loves and is very close to where we used to live when we lived in New York, and I just love New York so much. It just felt like a great celebration sort of. It's like chaotic, and that's why I love it. You know, it just felt it felt right. I can't tell you any other reasons.
Speaker 2: I totally get I totally get it, especially Washington Square Park. I kind of grew up there too. I lived on ninth and Broadway. Then I moved to ninth and University, so I was and I was working at Generation Records, which is down on Thompson Street, so every day my walk was through Washington Square Park.
Speaker 1: I just love it. And the arches are really, you know, the big George Washington Arch. I think it commemorates George Washington's birthday or when he became the president. Or there's some George Washington times.
Speaker 2: I always thought of it as just a little arc de triomphan exactly.
Speaker 1: You know, we kind of knew would be really pretty for photos.
Speaker 2: And yeah, and you guys love Paris.
Speaker 1: Also, yeah, we do love Paris. We do have that tattoo. So so it just felt, you know, we just wanted something that felt simple and intimate and easy, and yeah, I guess that's the answer. It's sort of easy, breezy, felt natural and was fun. We had the best time.
Speaker 2: It was great. It was great, and it was like, you know, when the sky's clear for an event, yes, because I was worried that, you know, people would be moving, like a drum circle would come over and then like a marathon would run through the.
Speaker 1: Protests, an interpretive dance, someone on bombed.
Speaker 2: All that happened before and after, like immediately after, but when during the actual ceremony, like everything worked out perfectly.
Speaker 1: I think the Monday morning thing really helped with that because with Sunday we did go down there around the same time in the morning and it was pretty busy. But Monday, you know, everyone's going to work, and it really I kind of just like going with the flow. And trusting the universe that we found our little pocket and it worked out.
Speaker 2: It was very cool. I loved meeting your family.
Speaker 1: They're big fans of you met. They're very big, they listened to the podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm big fans of them as well. Meeting your sister and meeting your dad. And I also loved meeting all of your friends, who I didn't know who they were when I was meeting them, so it was like meeting them as normal people. But then I'm also a fan of their work because I realized afterwards that, oh, I follow you on Instagram.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I love that that happened. I love I love that. You know. That was part of the goal, just that people would feel comfortable and chummy and chatty and it would feel really natural.
Speaker 2: I hope we can get some of them to be guests on the podcast, like Eli fascinating dude, Yes, Porsham alone.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean yeah, all those guys. Yeah, they they got interesting stuff to say.
Speaker 2: Well, it was great, Thanks for you for having me.
Speaker 1: It was really it was really fun. We honestly wouldn't change a thing. I will say I highly recommend doing a wedding that suits you and you know, you get so wrapped up into doing a wedding for other people. And I understand why that happens, but I I highly recommend keeping it as simple as you can and just telling people we love you so much and we're doing it to suit us, and it's very freeing.
Speaker 2: Awesome, awesome. Well it was. It was such a cool event.
Speaker 1: I told Magnus, I'm going to commit to learning more about the Grateful Dead because I feel really bad whenever you refer to them, which you do quite frequently. I have nothing, Like, I got nothing. I couldn't tell you a single song. I couldn't tell you who's in the band. I sort of know Jerry Garcia is, but I think he died. But I will make a commitment. I'm going to try to listen to some of their music and I will do some research.
Speaker 2: I mean, I can help you with this, OK, yeah, which direction? I can tell you that. So for my whole middle school and high school career, part of my personality was that I didn't like the Grateful Dead.
Speaker 1: That was part of your identity.
Speaker 2: I mean all of my identities, right, So all my friends love the Dead, and I like rebelled violently against it. Proclaiming it country music and saying like, how can you listen to this crap? And I only listened to like metal and industrial, you know, ministry. But when I when I was dropped at high school, kicked out of my house, I opened a record store downtown with some friends of mine from Second Coming, and we sold bootlegs CDs of live concerts, and so the customer always wants to hear the quality of the concert. So I my job was every day just playing these over and over again, and through that I became a huge fan of the music. Yeah, and not on purpose, like trying not to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is really wow. So what you said it was country country like this, I mean that's where I think, what were the reasons that you were saying it wasn't super Well.
Speaker 2: I was only listening to like A C.
Speaker 1: D C.
Speaker 2: And Black Sabbath. It wasn't and exactly it was. It didn't have that doesn't have that vibe at all.
Speaker 1: Now, So why do people like The Grateful.
Speaker 2: Dead, Well, it's I think if you listen to it in the right and you're in the right moment, if you're in the right space, you do not have to be on drugs at all. In fact, I got, I really got into it. It will open you up and it's just the music will take you and make you your life better. I think I don't know how to describe it. Well, I haven't really thought.
Speaker 1: About it, but I will go in with an open heart.
Speaker 2: And I started going to shows also luckily before Jerry died, but still I love going to Dead and Company and I take Edna to Grateful Dead cover bands, and so I recommend you start with Cornell.
Speaker 1: Because it's got an album.
Speaker 2: It's a show that they did in nineteen seven.
Speaker 1: A live show, yes at Cornell.
Speaker 2: At Cornell University of Barton Hall, and it's like the best, and that's what got me really into it.
Speaker 1: So okay, that's the starting point, noted.
Speaker 2: But also you might not like it. Some people don't like the Grateful Dead.
Speaker 1: You know, I'll give it a fair shot, give it the old College.
Speaker 2: In that case, I think you will because you also, I've never got I mean the whole history of like Jerry and Bobby and pig Pen and like the whole crew, like yes in San Francisco and the hate and Yes, it's like so like if you read Tom Wolfe's Electric Kool Aid Acid Tests, which is a great book.
Speaker 1: Yes, part of the cannon really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then the Dead is in that book because they do the acid test or they take part in the acid tests Alseie's Acid Tests and it's okay, so cool, Okay, all right, Wait what kind of music? What is like it for you? Like? What music occupies your soul?
Speaker 1: Honestly like synth bands, like I really like churches. I really like boy Harsher, I really like I kind of like Grimes, you know, like her early stuff. Like honestly like everyone that came that sort of came from, like a Kate Bush or a Daft Punk, but like future generations that that developed after them. That type of sound really resonates with me. But I like, I like a lot of things, you know. I like jay Z, I like Mariah Carey. I mean, I will go to my grave saying Mariah Carey is underappreciated. I love and I am proud to say I love shot A Like shot A, I will listen to all of them. O s Big Mama Thornton is. I listened to her on Sundays. She's church.
Speaker 2: But if you're putting together your like the playlist for your wedding, for example, or for your funeral. Is it gonna be synthpop?
Speaker 1: No? No, no, I couldn't tell you who that would be. I don't have to let you know.
Speaker 2: All right, let's talk about cars a little bit, yes, uh, and start with the Bugatti Success. Well, let's start first with a Z four because I drove it to your wedding. Yes you did. How was that so? I had it? You know, a B M W. Let me drive the new Z four M forty I and I will say the first day I drove it, I didn't really like it.
Speaker 1: The drive perform I.
Speaker 2: Felt like I felt like there wasn't enough weight on the front, and the brakes were a little bit scary when I had to use them in a hurry. But after that, and I did like a little video review with the camera guy here and I said kind of all that stuff, And then after that, for the rest of the week, I loved it.
Speaker 1: What changed?
Speaker 2: I guess I just had to get used to going from a Dodge Challenger, Oh yeah, to a little two seater convertible. It's a totally different feel. So obviously in the Challenger, all of the weight is on the front, right, and here it's a fifty to fifty. The Z four is a fifty to fifty balance, so it's a very different kind of driving experience. But I got immediately addicted to it and started driving it like everywhere. I started making excuses. I started picking people up at the airport, which no, yeah, in Scarsdale to LaGuardia, I was like, oh, I'll pick her up, Yeah, I'll drop her off. I even took someone to JFK. What so I made like three airport trip.
Speaker 1: That's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: I did it at off like off peak hours, so I could really drive the car. And I think also sometimes I forget how much I love driving a manual transmission.
Speaker 1: Oh he didn't mention that it's a man Yeah, it's a stick.
Speaker 2: In fact, I think it's I think there are only three two door soft tops that you can get with a stick in production these days.
Speaker 1: That's fun.
Speaker 2: I think the only choices if you want that experience, which is like the classic six speed yeah driving experience. I think the only thing you can get as a Miata huh, the Z four or a Porsche.
Speaker 1: Box dr And where does the price of the Z four middle of the tube, but not not.
Speaker 2: As much as exactly. So I think a Miata is about four right optioned out the way you want it. The Z four is about seventy five, a little bit less optioned out the way you want it, which seemed kind of expensive. But then I then I put together a boxter on you know, the configurator and the way I would want it. For a box, well, I want the four point zhay, you know, but it's I think a good deal. At first I thought that's very expensive, but yes, A Now I love the weight balance B the breaks you do have to dig a little to get them to stop, but you get used to that.
Speaker 1: It has a steering. How tight is this?
Speaker 2: I thought the steering was great. It's not overly tight. It's not. It's not like an M car, even though it's the M forty I. But it doesn't have the S fifty eight as the B fifty eight in line six, so it's great. Three hundred and I don't know, three hundred and sixty No, three hundred and eighty two horse power I think so it's more than enough. And just rowing your own gears is so much fun.
Speaker 1: Very curious. You mentioned driving people to the airport, and of course my mind instantly goes to luggage space in the trunk.
Speaker 2: It's surprisingly roomy in the trunk the top down, with.
Speaker 1: The top down, yes, luggage space.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not one of those convertibles where when you put the top down you can't fit anything in the trunk. My brother had a Kmaro like that.
Speaker 1: When Yeah, totally useless.
Speaker 2: The first car I ever wrecked was a Renault Gta, which was the same, like, no, in this even when you put the top down, the trunk is big enough for a huge My goddaughter's suitcase fit in there. And she's a seventeen year old girl who came to State of this for two weeks.
Speaker 1: So that's the truth too.
Speaker 2: It's big wow. Yeah, Like I don't personally think I need the convertible experience on a regular back.
Speaker 1: My next question like, how are you with convertibles in general? I think the wind buffeting there's none, okay, because.
Speaker 2: Some genius engineered that thing, and there's no wind buffeting with the top down, okay. But I always think, like, you know, I'm configuring nine to eleven's like all day, every day, and I always like, I like the shoulder line of the nine to eleven cabriolet.
Speaker 1: With THEO but with the top up. I don't.
Speaker 2: I do not, But in real life I'm I'm not really going to put the top down because I'm bald, for one, so I have to wear a hat. It's way too hot, you know, unless you live in like the northern parts of Scandinavia. It's too hot. And it's loud.
Speaker 1: It's loud.
Speaker 2: This isn't actually it's this isn't. It's like a little too loud to be on a conference call. I did a couple of conference calls with the top down, and also in New York City. That's not a great experience. But I have to say I came away thinking I've always wondered why BMW doesn't make the Z eight again, because I think it's such a gorgeous car. And this is I think worthy of being a Z eight successor, whereas the Z three never was. I don't think it was intended to be. And also it's not.
Speaker 1: You need something a little brawnier than that.
Speaker 2: This is big. I think it's I think it's about the size of a Z eight in terms of the dimensions, and it's a beautiful design.
Speaker 1: What color was the car that you had.
Speaker 2: It was called Frozen Deep Green Metallic, so it was one of the Matt colors. Normally I'm not a fan of Matt finishes, but it really worked for me. I'm a car wash guy, so that's a problem because you can't take it to a car wash it'll ruin it. So instead I washed it myself in the driveway. Did the girls help, Yes, Edna help, Well, you could say help. It wasn't really a help, but she definitely was there doing support. Yeah, and yeah, I just came away thinking, like, even though so I'm six three, I was a little bit cramped.
Speaker 1: What about the foot room? Speaking of cramp like in the football wee.
Speaker 2: Shifting Natasha, Yeah, seat, she said she had more than enough room.
Speaker 1: That's a tall woman and she would let you know.
Speaker 2: She told me she was recently in a jag two seater and there was not enough time. Yeah, and this was there was more than enough room for me. I felt a little cramped because you know, I'm used to giant vehicles, so I'm used to Like right now, I'm driving the Hummer EV. It's huge. I'm used to big trucks. But I found myself thinking I would take this. I don't care that it's a little bit tight for a huge person like me, because the trade off for that motor, which is sonorous like it sounds beautiful and that transmission amazing, And once I got used to the weight balance so fun. I really loved it. I really did.
Speaker 1: I mean the fact that you're doing multiple trips to the airport says everything. Yeah, that's a good litmus test a thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 2: So that was your wedding car for me.
Speaker 1: Love. I love it because you went back uptown to get the car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, drive it back down right because I had to anchor a TV show until ten. Yeah, your ceremonies at ten thirty. And I knew I wouldn't make it from here, which is like Bloomingdale's down the Washington Square Park in a car. I quickly took the subway down, which was awesome, very quick. I love in efficient, and then I came back to get it to drive to the reception. Plus I plus I I realized I could take Natasha down. So that was a good use.
Speaker 1: You appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm always skeptical when I drive a new BMW, and I typically come away impressed.
Speaker 1: I had skeptical because.
Speaker 2: There's so many haters, you know, online I spend too much time in forums. Everybody's mad that it's not like it used to be, or that it isn't you know, like an E forty six M three or an E thirty.
Speaker 1: You know, I find that ninety nine of people in online forums haven't actually driven the vehicle. It may be the case, so therefore I take their opinion with a lot of grains of salt.
Speaker 2: But I also usually have the first day I drive, like, for example, the I five, I drove that and I thought, okay, not for me, and for most of the rest of the week, I just drove my car. I had it for a week, and then the last day I drove it like an anger, you know, up to the mountain and it was amazing.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's what it needed.
Speaker 2: And I think a lot of a lot of these vehicles you need to have more than a half hour seat time in them.
Speaker 1: Yes, well that's for sure, because I do think maybe first impressions are informative, but they can't be the only impression.
Speaker 2: Because you're used to you're you're still feeling what you got out of right completely and it takes a while to transition your muscle memory.
Speaker 1: I agree, I completely agree. Yeah, so how's the Hummer.
Speaker 2: We'll get to that. I want to hear about the body successor Okay, and then because we because we both have driven the Hummer and we and yeah it's you probably can guess how it is kind of anyway. I want to hear about this because I did love driving the Charon.
Speaker 1: I always say, chirn, Now, why do you say that because you're in news.
Speaker 2: You know what? Because that's one of those things where I said it to myself in my head for years before I ever said it to anyone else out loud. Yes, you know, it was out forever before I finally got a chance to drive it. I went up to the bilster Berg in Germany and I drove it with Stephen Winkleman, whoa on the track.
Speaker 1: That's a good drive. It was a good first drive.
Speaker 2: It was very fun. I'd never driven anything with sixteen cylinders and for turbo chart anyway, it was amazing. But I'm interesting to see what they follow that up with. I don't even know what there's a call.
Speaker 1: It's called a turbion, turbion, the Bugatti turbion, and it's not a w sixteen. Act noally, no, it's a V sixteen hybrid.
Speaker 2: Interesting hybrid, I get because you can do so much and yeah, we.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah, yeah, but it's a it's a V sixteen, it's eighteen hundred horse power. This is the first time they've ever obviously done this type of configuration. Top speed they're saying is about two hundred and seventy six miles per hour. And they they they're saying like, this is actually the hardest configuration choice for following up the Sharon, Like they could have done another W sixteen, they could have gone full electric, they could have tried to do something different, and this was like the most difficult option for them, So of course, and yeah, so of course, and you know, they kind of justify it, like, Okay, obviously Bugatti Rimac is a company together.
Speaker 2: Now I still don't understand the configurations.
Speaker 1: Really, Yeah, So Portia and Rimac formed a joint venture in twenty twenty one that incorporated Bugatti. Is the easiest way that I can say that.
Speaker 2: Finally someone explains it to me, so I understand it.
Speaker 1: And so mate Rimac, who's the CEO of that group, who oversees electric which is the electric Yes, is also overseeing Bugatti, so now of course they're sharing everything, which is good for Bugatti. And honestly, I don't know when the idea to make the Charon success or a hybrid developed, because at one point it did seem like they were thinking that Bugotti could go electric, and the thing nudging that was within VW. What role was Bugotti going to play Because a big part of VW's business strategy for the next decade is electrics, centered around electrics and electric technology. So when you have one hundred and fifteen year old brand that's made its bread and butter on massive internal combustion engines, how does that fit. So part of the reason why portion Rimac joined together and incorporated Bugatti was to help figure out where Bugatti would fit into VW group in a broader sense. And apparently this hybrid car, the Urbion, is their answer. And Matte Rimac was on Bloomberg TV and he said, basically, they've decided that Bugatti still needs to have an element of analog in it.
Speaker 2: I hope so.
Speaker 1: Yes. I think that's really where they landed, that this is such an old company, it's a French company, it needs to have an element of analog something that can be timeless. And they're sort of sensing that cars with a lot of screens and computers may look out dated in ten years, because obviously technology is evolving so quickly. So the only way to really stay timeless and classic and to know that your car in fifty years on a lawn is going to look timeless in classic is still to maintain some sense of analog.
Speaker 2: Thank God, who someone's getting that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I thought that was really interesting. It makes sense. I don't think that's just marketing speak. I actually think that is accurate for them. It seems logical.
Speaker 2: It seems like are the other bit Like you've driven the new Rolls.
Speaker 1: Royce, the Specter, the Electric is it.
Speaker 2: Also fairly analog? They don't have a ton of screens in it, do they?
Speaker 1: No, they've got it. They've got a screen that you can hide if you want. And actually there is a screen in this new Bougatti the term be on. There is a screen that is hidden at the top of the dash. You can make it appear by pushing a button. But some interesting things in this one are if you have there's if you have the screen hidden, you start it and stop it by pulling a lever like the old bugattis like you literally pull a lever and push a lever to turn it on and turn it off nice. On top of the steering wheel is a three gauge cluster that looks like sort of a mechanical watch. And I think this is all tied in with the name. And the steering wheel turns around those gauges, so those gauges are station they're planted in the center of the steering wheel.
Speaker 2: So and yeah, you said exactly. That's the kind of watch that you can sort of see through.
Speaker 1: It is a component in a watch that basically helps it keep time. It basically makes the watch keep time and keeps it on track basically.
Speaker 2: For from my understanding, well, usually when they have the edition of a watch, that means you can see through it.
Speaker 1: And right, the fact that you're seeing through it just means they're showing off, rightbo this thing that rotates the components to increase accuracy.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's in a wristwatch. That's very cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's I do think it's cool. I mean, the car itself kind of looks like a Sharon It looks kind of the same.
Speaker 2: The doors it was a good look.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the doors open up instead of out, they open up in like you know, billionaire doors.
Speaker 2: Sure, if you have three Commas in your net worth, that's a car for you.
Speaker 1: There you go, there you go. And you know the price here is three point eight million euros, so that's like four point one million dollars. So yeah, price, the price is gone up. They're going to make two hundred and fifty of them. Deliveries are going to begin in twenty twenty six. It's exciting, you know, it seems like a natural.
Speaker 2: They went with a V twelve instead of the W.
Speaker 1: I was very surprised.
Speaker 2: And the V sixteen, sorry, a V sixteen instead of a W sixteen. So I guess they just put two inline eights together in a sense.
Speaker 1: I don't I honestly don't know. That's I don't know.
Speaker 2: That's strange because the the reason was at W sixteen, I guess was that they had two V eights bolted together. That's how I thought of it in my head. And they also the Volkswagen Group does this right because Bentley has the W twelve, sure right, so.
Speaker 1: W is kind of there thinking of going away.
Speaker 2: With interesting And did they put the U is the electric component, like it's on the front.
Speaker 1: At two on the front, one on the back. Eighteen hundred horsepower total.
Speaker 2: Okay, the top.
Speaker 1: Speed of two seventy six. I did ask if they'll be doing any variants that would potentially go for a world record, you know land speed, right.
Speaker 2: Because the went over three hundred.
Speaker 1: You know, they don't want to comment on that. No, you know it's a it's a no comment. But I think maybe we could think about that. I don't see why not.
Speaker 2: It's interesting that Remac. I wonder if they would go for it.
Speaker 1: I feel like, I mean with a Nevara there. Remember last year at during Pebble Brimaca just set a record I'm gonna not remember.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was the fastest in reverse, right, Yeah?
Speaker 1: Was that it? I knew it was something kind of quirky, So yeah, you like care about records, which half the time I'm like, does anyone care at all?
Speaker 2: I mean, that's one that probably no. But also like if James Bond is going to use that car, they could make something of that. You know, he has to go backwards super fast?
Speaker 1: There you go?
Speaker 2: Well cool, I had I'd say Bugatti is another one of those when I first saw the veyrone, I thought, this is ugly and I didn't like it. And also the first few times I saw the chirone, I didn't really love it, but it grew on me same and by the time they did they did like a one hundred and ten year anniversary edition that was like blue on blue, and I think that.
Speaker 1: Was their last addition that like that is that's coming off the production line like this year, and then that's it.
Speaker 2: I thought it was beautiful, yeah.
Speaker 1: Or maybe it already has, so it might have already.
Speaker 2: I wish somebody would daily drive one of these kind of cars. You know, some people do. No, I don't think so. I think they keep them low mileage. I saw on Bring a Trailer there was I think a nineteen ninety three nine to six y four turbo that had one hundred and seventy thousand miles or something.
Speaker 1: Did it sell?
Speaker 2: No, it's still it still goes. As we speak, it's still going. And it was at one fifty and I thought, wow, you know what, I'd rather have that than one that has like seventeen miles, because you know it's going to work completely.
Speaker 1: It's actually it's been tried and tested and yeah.
Speaker 2: And obviously that's not the same league as a as a Bugatti, but it would be cool if somebody bought a Bugatti or Pegani, you know, and then daily drove it. He used it like from you know, uh, Greenwich to the city every day. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the thing about the bugattis that I think separate it separate them a little bit from other million, multimillion dollar cars is the cab The interior cabins of the Bugattis are like Bentley level of comforts and just sort of opulence where I I think, you know, even in the Remacnavara it's a little more utilitarian, it's a little more minimal, or something like the Peninferina Batista. You know, those are multimillion dollar electric hypercars, but their interiors are not quite as cushy as the Bugatti. So like to your point, you could live in it and be comfortable.
Speaker 2: True, do you think it's Do you think Bugatti is at the same level of luxury and design as Pegani, Because I feel like Pegani, like every single piece is machined out of aircraft grade aluminum, and they're maybe over designed in.
Speaker 1: I don't find Pegani as usable or as practical or you know, to be honest, I've never driven a Pegani. I've been driven in a Pegani, but they did not want me to drive it, which I'm instantly skeptical of. You know, they wanted to drive me in it, but they wouldn't let me drive it. So of course, you know, I wonder why I.
Speaker 2: Feel like Pegani is heavier on the design element and not as much on the engine, you know, because they buy those motors from Daimler.
Speaker 1: It's harder.
Speaker 2: Bugatti is all about the engineering, right of.
Speaker 1: Course, and it comes from you know, you can't compare one hundred and fifteen years of automaking like that. You can't buy that. It just is to me that is such credibility and authority and authenticity. And then to have the backing of VW Group, it's tough to compete with that in any way, you know. And then with the technology of Rimac, it's like, I mean, that's your dream team basically.
Speaker 2: I suppose. Yeah, I just like Pegani has like a smaller workshop, factory workshop, and they are building more like one at a time. Yeah, I mean, whereas Pugatti they could be building like five or six at a time practically, yeah, but you're.
Speaker 1: Still I mean, it took them years to make all five hundred of the Sharon. I think they made five hundred total, and it took them years to do that, so it's not like they're mass producing.
Speaker 2: If I'd either one, I would daily drive it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, cool, I hope you would.
Speaker 2: I'm driving something that's crazy, right, So the Hummer EV is just crazy in a lot of ways, and I'm glad that you have driven it too.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's a crazy idea, like not a good idea?
Speaker 2: No, I think it's a very good idea, like everyone wanted to at the time, like we're all going green. It's one hundred percent EV. There wasn't any backlash yet, you know. It was still like this musk is a god for saving the world, you know, and everyone has to drive an EV and you couldn't even be mad about it, like you had to agree.
Speaker 1: That this is our future.
Speaker 2: And so I love that. Mary Bearra and Mark Royce are like, Okay, I see your sixty five kilowat hour battery and I am going to raise it to a two hundred and ten kilo hour battery. I mean this is a ten thousand pound vehicle. I don't know actually how much.
Speaker 1: It weighs, but well they wouldn't tell me, but they said, I'm guessing it told me it was over nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, So this thing is so gigantic. Obviously it's a hummer, so not like the H two or the H three. It's supposed to mimic the H one like an actual military vehicle. It's wide enough that I can't reach my wife, you know, if she's sitting in the passenger seat and I'm driving and it does zero sixty and three and a half seconds.
Speaker 1: Did you do launch mode?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: I mean, of.
Speaker 2: Course to freedom, which is like God to half the country. That's an offensive sprase.
Speaker 1: I know. I wasn't going to repeat it.
Speaker 2: I love it. I mean the thing is, if you're going to do it, do it right for a penny, in for a pound.
Speaker 1: So I agree with that.
Speaker 2: It has these little American flag like indentations on the side, which is perfect. Yeah, you know, my I have a My French neighbor was like, yeah, if a redneck with a lot of money it wants to buy an EV this is it, you know.
Speaker 1: So weird because you're right, like since twenty twenty two. I drove in twenty twenty two, and I think it sort of just come out, and like evs are way more political now, yeah than even then. And it's totally weird because it is an EV, but it's got all these you know, patriotic things, and it's really sad that, like, if you take them on their own, an EV doesn't mean anything. The flag is not a political thing. It should unite us.
Speaker 2: What I love about it is that so people who are anti EV will go on a rant about no tailpipe emissions, but they'll go on a rant about the production and you know, some eleven year old is mining all the cobalt for this, and I get that, you know, And but EV fans are like, you know, they'll push back. They'll say it's still a greener vehicle than an ICEEE vehicle. But even this is an EV that even EV people hate, you.
Speaker 1: Know, that's true.
Speaker 2: They feel like and by the.
Speaker 1: Way, it's just ridiculous. It is ridiculous.
Speaker 2: I was driving through town and Carsdale the other day. I realized, if I lose control and I run up on the curb, I'm gonna go up over the curb and just like knock over that whole family, like it could be a dangerous.
Speaker 1: Vehicle driving wise, what did you think?
Speaker 2: I mean, it doesn't. At first You're like, this is too wide, but that goes away in like literally two and a half minutes. For me, I guess I'm used to driving like the F two fifty or the big Silverado twenty five hundred, so it doesn't feel that much bigger than a heavy duty truck.
Speaker 1: And how has your range been?
Speaker 2: I have been abusing it for the last couple of days, and I think I started with three hundred and fifty miles and I have two seventy left. That's pretty good it is. I expected it to have like a huge churning radius, like it'd have to do like five point turns, but it's got a better turning radius than any of the other vehicles in my driveway. Yeah. I tried the crab walk. It's obviously gimmicky and I couldn't really can troll it that well, but it was still fun to have tried.
Speaker 1: And did you use the super cruise at all?
Speaker 2: Did they not yet? Okay, I haven't been in a super cruise situation because I'm just driving from Sarsdale to New York and back.
Speaker 1: I'm still a little like, you can't use it all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think even when I use uh, you know BMW's whatever, they're kind of semi self driving technology, is I only use it like when I'm on the A five, you know, to Carlsrue and I'm not going to turn for fifty miles. But I think it's probably up there with the best of them. I don't really care about that so much. I like a lot of room, a luxurious cockpit, and you know, fun stuff, so like having thirty fives on this double wide suv is fun.
Speaker 1: Okay. I'm going to push back a little bit on the luxurious cockpit because I mean thinking it Okay, okay, you're saying it was capacious. Which cockpit? Yes, because I would say it's it's like inside from what I remember, it was extremely utilitarian, you know, like kind of the inside of a truck.
Speaker 2: My thought was the designers did this on purpose so that when they update the car, they'll have something to make better.
Speaker 1: Now, why did they give you the car now? Because I feel like they haven't.
Speaker 2: We haven't heard new This is the new version, right three X Yeah from.
Speaker 1: A business since I wonder how many of these I haven't heard about it in the news or from them.
Speaker 2: So my in terms of buying one, right, it's still one hundred and I think one hundred and six grand for this version. That one version is one hundred and forty, and when you option it up it's going to be a little more. But I've looked on auto Trader and found some twenty twenty four's with six seven eight thousand miles that are eighty five okay, So I would be happy to let the other guy take the depreciation hit and pick it up for because you know, the my most important criteria is does it fit to rear facing car seats in the back? Yes, and it'll still allow me to fully recline, and it does.
Speaker 1: So aren't you worried about buying a used electric vehicle that the battery is degraded already?
Speaker 2: I would I would be worried about that, yes, so i'd have to see. First of all, I don't think my wife would ever let me do this, so it's totally not happening.
Speaker 1: But hypothetically, I think you can.
Speaker 2: You can accept some degradation in a two hundred and ten kilowat hour battery pack because it's gigantis.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Also, I expect at some point some technology to appear where you can swap out batteries or install a better battery pack for all of these electric vehicles, not just this. Right, at some point you're gonna want to do a V eight swap whatever that means in electric worlds. Right.
Speaker 1: Who's telling you that's going to happen.
Speaker 2: No, No one tells me it's going to.
Speaker 1: Happen, just because I'm like, I certainly wouldn't buy a Hummer EV thinking in three years they're going to have a new battery that I can swap in.
Speaker 2: No, no, No, I don't think three years. I think like fifteen years. Okay, there's gonna be You're gonna be able to put a flux capacitator in it, and it'll be like, you.
Speaker 1: Know if in fifteen years we're actually back to internal combustion.
Speaker 2: You've been talking to people at Poor Show a lot, haven't you.
Speaker 1: I actually haven't. I actually I haven't been talking to anything the past week. I'm on my honeymoon.
Speaker 2: I'm okay, Okay, Yeah, I think that's it's a possibility. That's a possibility. But I think look these vehicles. They're not gonna all be just thrown away in the dumpster, all these EV's. I mean, right, you'll you're gonna take the interesting ones in ten or twenty years and resto mod them. And this is a prime candidate for that because it's so big and so different looking. Even if you don't like the way that looks, it doesn't look like every other jellyma.
Speaker 1: It's a question, speaking of big and different, would you buy this or a cyber truck?
Speaker 2: This? Hands down? Why? In an instant why. I really appreciate the looks. It reminds me of an actual hummer. I love the look of that. It's why and low you can still there's still decent visibility, especially at the back.
Speaker 1: Interesting And there's.
Speaker 2: Also something to be said for buying from general motors, from the general you know, from a good old American brand.
Speaker 1: Tesla's American. Yeah, my friend.
Speaker 2: I know it's different, you know, is it? Yes? I mean you know, Elon Musk's grandfather didn't work at Tesla.
Speaker 1: I didn't know we were going to do a legacy thing.
Speaker 2: No, But it's like this a GM as GM as the tradition of Detroit, and I you know, Tesla's a different vibe, and if that's your vibe, I'm I'm happy for you, but it's not mine.
Speaker 1: So okay, noted, that doesn't.
Speaker 2: Mean I don't like any new products, you know, I I would compare this to a Rivian. If I'm going to buy this, Do I buy this or a Rivian? I don't know, because I haven't driven.
Speaker 1: Doesn't look as unusual like we're talking about.
Speaker 2: The looks more like futuristic and probably more elegant.
Speaker 1: More like Patagonia, Like you know, Rivian's all about we want to be the Patagonia of electric vehicles, so we'll give them that, right and then you.
Speaker 2: Know they still have fifty horsepower squad motor version, so sure.
Speaker 1: But I mean, if we're talking aesthetics, the Hummer is an iconic look and it's an aggressive affront and assault and it's not going to apologize. And I think the cyber truck's the same in a way. But the Rivian's kind of in the middle, you know, the Raven's trying to be like, you know, more basic.
Speaker 2: Well, so to be fair, I haven't really I've only seen a cyber truck once in real life. What it was shocked.
Speaker 1: I see I see New York five a day.
Speaker 2: That's very different there live in you know, the people in Republic of Tesla. That's different.
Speaker 1: It's wild how many I see every day so every day.
Speaker 2: Here we don't in New York. You've barely even see Model s's. It's just Model three, Model y Yeah. Yeah, yeah. So anyway, I can't make a real call on a Tiber truck until I've seen it in real life and studied it, and b I would have to drive it.
Speaker 1: You should throw one.
Speaker 2: I haven't driven you vince that. I'm sure I might. I might try that. Yeah, I also haven't driven a Rivian. Have you driven the Rivian? Is it awesome? I imagine it's awesome.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't use the word awesome. I would use the word interesting and good enough.
Speaker 2: Well, and the other thing is, Hannah, I kind of gravitate towards products that make other people angry, you know, and in a way the Hummer kind of does that too. The soccer moms are going to be like, I'm not happy that it's need and they're angry that I'm driving.
Speaker 1: See this is true art, like art should provoke a reaction, and if you get people extremely happy or extremely upset. You at least have made them feel something. It's far better to do that than to just have them be neutral. You know. That's an appliance. An appliance leaves people feeling like, oh, it's okay.
Speaker 2: I also like to drive big vehicles with big wheels, and this thing. I feel very I'm like on my sofa, you know, piloting this. Yeah, it's it's I've never driven actually an original Hummer, and I imagine it's not a good experience compared to this is a very pleasant experience. Like when you push the pedal, it goes fast. When you push the brake, it stops quickly. The turning rais as set is very tight, so you can easily navigate corners. You know, I'm coming up to a junction and somebody else is making a left in front of me, and I'm looking to make it right. I'm not worried about going out too far in the intersection. Super easy to handle. The infotainment system is very intuitive, Okay. I have owned recently Chevy products, so I know how they work. But it's like a breeze. Are there improvements that they could make? Yeah? The interior when they update it, Please update that, because it feels like they just stuck a big screen in the middle and the roof panels. It has four roof panels, just like a Bronco and when you hit any kind of bump or turn a corner too hard, they squeak and rattle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the fit and finish does matter.
Speaker 2: I mean are for the most part. The fit and finish is fantastic. It's just the rooftop interesting. Which if you pay one hundred and ten thousand dollars for a vehicle, it's gonna buy the while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, what about the like have you used the little containers, like the storage containers like with I remember in the cabin there were some sort of clever storage containers that they had put in the back. In the front just have a store.
Speaker 2: I haven't been in the back other than to install child seats.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: My daughters love it, by the way, because you can roll down the rear window. I have the pickup truck version and it's awesome. But yeah, there's a ton of storage in the front for like as many big gulps as you can possibly buy. And I've I've got all the pool equipment in there. So like, as a family vehicle, it's very functional. I do.
Speaker 1: I do agree it didn't you know, you kind of go into driving those things with a little like oh boy, here we go, And I remember just getting out of it and thinking it's fun. It's cool, it's fun. They did a really good job. It's it's exactly what it promises, like when you look at it and when you drive it and it delivers, and.
Speaker 2: When you pull up quickly to some person in the left lane who isn't quite paying attention and they look behind them and see that grill, they do move over to hate. Not really, but I just you know, when I'm when I'm driving through town, a lot of times I'll notice like a mom like give me a look like how dare you? How dare you drive that in our school district. But on the other hand, you know, it's like a nice bluish gray and it's got the American flags Croco USA, and it's electric. So no, I can't hate.
Speaker 1: You can't hate actually on that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm I'm pretty I'm a pretty big fan of it. I would say cool, but I'm a sucker for any big truck with with big wheels.
Speaker 1: I mean I always come back to the g wagon. I love it. Yeah, it's it's an iconic shape, it's polarizing, it's been around forever. It does the job. This falls into this category of it's a specific philosophy that has been executed and maybe you hate it, maybe you like it, but it is what it is. You can take it or leave it. I really like that. I just I just like, give me something interesting and maybe I'll hate it, but at least it's something exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: At least it's not another jelly bean.
Speaker 1: Right, it's not in appliance.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh, what have you got coming up? Anything?
Speaker 1: Oh? You know, on Monday, I'm going to go finally drive the nine to eleven GTS the in Sevilla and severe Yeah. Yeah, I'll let you know.
Speaker 2: Very nice. Okay, you know, the screen is the biggest problem that I have with that, you know, the lack of animal I.
Speaker 1: Will report back speaking of you know, the Bugatti stink trying to stay analog. I guess Portia didn't. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's a money saving thing or I need to like getting rid of a handbrake, Like why do that? I don't get it.
Speaker 1: Sure they'll have an answer.
Speaker 2: I'm sure they will.
Speaker 1: What about you? What do you have coming up?
Speaker 2: Let's see, so in terms of vehicles, I fingers crossed, am going to get a Corvette E raate? Well, that'll be after you come back out from Sevilla.
Speaker 1: We might have an issue with that. What's that I seem to have I'm not supposed to be checking email this week, but I might have got an email where they said, never mind, due to undo unforeseen circumstances, we can't fulfill your press.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a bummer.
Speaker 1: I haven't replied to that email because it annoyed me.
Speaker 2: But so the cool thing is we're gonna The idea is we were both gonna drive that time. You would have it in La, I'll have it here in New York.
Speaker 1: Yes, you're getting that next week or the week after week, week after a weekend. Me too. Me too. I'll have to coordinate on that.
Speaker 2: But I'm also excited about it because my friend David Weston, who anchors Wall Street Week, has an original Gen one C one Corvette cool and cool. He lives near me. So I was like, dude, I'm gonna come. I'm gonna get this Corvette E Ray it's like the newest, most cutting edge. I know it's not the Z six, but it's like even more because it's electric, right or hybrid. Yes, I'm gonna bring it over and then we're gonna shoot a video where David has his C one and I have this and I get his take on this one, you know, Yeah, and I get to sit in his I've never been in his before, and I think it'd be a cool comparing.
Speaker 1: He's a big Corvette guy like he is. He doesn't he is not just the.
Speaker 2: One like when we had when when he heard we are having Jim Farley on the podcast, he said, ask him why they don't make a sports car? He says, he contends that Corvette is the only American made sports car because he says the Mustang has it doesn't have isn't the two seater? You know?
Speaker 1: Well, as a Corvette owner, I'm not disagreeing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I'm excited to do that.
Speaker 1: And that'll be good, that'll be great. You don't get well, I'll sort it out. They can find another one. Well.
Speaker 2: And also you will just have driven the nine to eleven, which is.
Speaker 1: I'm not coming.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I hope you get to go like around the region.
Speaker 1: Me too, you know, I like, I like having track time, of course, but honestly, it's more real world to drive the car on on roads. So I'm imagining it's probably a little both.
Speaker 2: I feel like track time almost does a disservice to consumers who listen, uh to this podcast or read your reviews to try and decide if they would want a car, because and you see, like all these car journalists, you know, flogging vehicles and motorcycles around the track, and it doesn't really translate at all to what we do on the road.
Speaker 1: No, I'm rolling my eyes a little bit right now because it's so true true. I mean, they like, look, we're journalists. No one out there is a professional driver. Most of them, if you know, ninety nine percent of them have never even you know, raced in any sort of amateur or professional capacity, or been a drive instructor anything. Who's going to buy the car, myself included, I would never I would never pretend to say that I am so it is kind of you know, yeah, it's nice to drive on the track, but I'm so with you, it's actually much more usable and relatable and you can really sift through the car to have it on the road, because the other thing with the track is it's very very very controlled. You know, you have a specific amount of labs, you have a specific amount of time. A lot of times it's lead follow, and so it's just it's extremely controlled, and it just seems a little like this is just for a journalists bragging rights, which I really don't care exactly.
Speaker 2: You're you're gonna probably really enjoy your experience. So you're by the way, in terms of the nine to eleven, like, of the million piece people who've bought a nine to eleven, how many people are doing track data in it?
Speaker 1: Very small percentage, right, very small.
Speaker 2: I would imagine if you want to go on the track, then you're gonna get a Cayman like, not a nine to eleven. Right.
Speaker 1: Every pro driver that I talked to that like drives is on these drives. I always say, like, which car do you want on the track? They all love the Cayman. They say it's far more balanced and far more predictable and just a lot more fun and you can really get really you can get more out of it with less effort.
Speaker 2: I feel like a nine to eleven is your daily driver. It's a great daily driver. Yeah, so you should. Porsche should invite you out to commute in Atlanta, you know they should. They should invite you to a suburb of Atlanta and invite you to drive into the middle of the city during rush hour, and that should be what you write the review on.
Speaker 1: Just I'll commute in LA That's fine. Atlanta seems really hot and sticky, all.
Speaker 2: Right, So I'm excited for UH to hear about that. And are you taking Magnus with you too, Savilla?
Speaker 1: Oh, sadly, what I know? I know, why not?
Speaker 2: This seems like the perfect opportunity. You just got married. Now you're going to Sevilla. The two of you could go to the Alhambra, you know, in Granada. You could spend a few days on the beach in Marbella, you know.
Speaker 1: And he looks great in a speedo too. You should really see him.
Speaker 2: I've heard about that.
Speaker 1: But once we get that sunscreen on, you know, he's ready to go. I know, it's we have a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: All right. Well, I hope you have a good time, and do remember the sunscreen? I know, all right, So Friday, dear listener, remember to send us any questions or suggestions. The email address once again.
Speaker 1: Is hot Pursuit at bloomberg dot net.
Speaker 2: And that's what we got for this week. We'll see you back here next week. I'm Matt Miller and I'm
Speaker 1: Hanna Elliott, and this is Bloomberg