Speaker 1: Previously on Death and Deceit in Alliance.
Speaker 2: And part of me feels like he would have been screaming this from the rooftops for a long time if that was really the case.
Speaker 1: What are the chances this kind man snaps because Yvonne just doesn't want to have sex with him.
Speaker 3: I mean, if I'm sitting here right now, I think that Joe had Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it's tough just to get the words out of it.
Speaker 4: I just don't know what to do.
Speaker 1: I don't know what to do.
Speaker 5: I feel like I got like up, I feel like I got emotional. I don't know, I'd feel really confused.
Speaker 2: This is emotional word with people's lives.
Speaker 1: I really confused. This is death and Deceit and Alliance a real time investigation into whether David Thorne killed Yvonne Lane. I'm Maggie freeling.
Speaker 5: Can you describe to me on the take here how he treated you on so many incidents that happened while you were dating.
Speaker 4: You're worrying, very gressive, very do you?
Speaker 1: Since this is David's ex girlfriend Angie talking to the police. She dated David for five years just before David dated Yvonne Lane, Angie told police about her harrowing relationship with David Thorn.
Speaker 5: One incident will be we got in a big fight when you're driving down the road and separate vehicle. He got out in his car, pulled a gun on me, shout out all four tires in my car, told me that I stop the fucking car. He's gonna blow my head off. So I did stop the car. The neighbors were screaming, frantic, way to call a car because he's gonna kill me.
Speaker 4: Another incident would be when.
Speaker 5: We got another big fight and he had me down on the bed starting morning mechoking me.
Speaker 4: I could actually feel myself.
Speaker 5: Moving that Petica castle out, so I kicked on that away from me and then I left.
Speaker 1: At the beginning of this show, I said I had never heard a bad thing about David Thorne, the man sentenced to life without parole for the murder of Yvonne. The image I'd built up of David in my mind was of a nice, good looking twenty something guy who liked to help people, was always cheerful, always making jokes. He and others said he got along well with his ex girlfriend, Yvonne, the mother of his son. The custody agent at trials said their shared arrangement was working just fine and he was paying support. But then I came across Angie. I listened to Angie's interview with the police. It shocked me. She proceeded to tell numerous other stories too, like one about David smashing her face into a steering wheel by her banana clip and an altercation David had with her dad. Angie's interview painted a picture of David that I was unaware of. A hothead, someone who, if Angie's accounts are true, could be violent, very violent to women.
Speaker 4: When's that you start?
Speaker 5: David?
Speaker 4: January nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 1: Two months before Yvonne was murdered.
Speaker 4: Oh, and what content did you see him?
Speaker 5: I worked at a host warm and he come into my form to get his haircut and love talking to me about wanting custody of his form. And then he had to prove Yevonne and Wayne as an unfit mother so that he could get custody of the phone.
Speaker 1: Another person, along with Sam Peg, Joe Wilke's good friend, who said that David wanted custody of his son. And then we found another person, a friend of David's, who told us he remembered times when David was out of control, particularly road rage incidents. He told us one time a guy got out of his car and started yelling at David. David's friend told us David grabbed the other guy's lip and took off driving. It's unclear if he actually dragged the guy down the road. Not that any of this makes him a murderer, but it certainly paints a different picture of David than I had previously imagined. These stories depict David as someone who can be reckless and violent, and it's something we may never have known if we didn't stumble on Antie's files. Sue and David certainly were not forthcoming about any of this. He was the All American choir boy.
Speaker 4: Have you heard about our annoyance?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 4: And what did you think?
Speaker 5: My first reaction is, oh my god, I'm glad it willn't me. And he hate definitely capable of it. I've seen it.
Speaker 4: I'm sure I have him.
Speaker 1: Remember, David's credibility is crucial, and so far he hasn't been completely honest. He never told me he had a girlfriend right before his girlfriend was murdered, who made serious abuse allegations against him. In fairness, though I didn't ask him, and if they're not true, I could see how he wouldn't want to bring attention to it. But there were also all the other allegations, So it was time for the professionals to finally meet with David. What would you tell John and Danny about his capacity for violence?
Speaker 3: We've already found some things that aren't very flattering about David that we that he's never disclosed, and I want to give him the opportunity to tell us things that we already know, just to see if he's going to be remotely forthcoming. You know, I think there's a lot of questions that have never been asked of him, So we're going to have to ask him some of those those about who he was at the time. I don't want him to try to bullshit us.
Speaker 1: They wanted to know about the real David Good, Bad, Ugly. The guys told him this point blank in one of their previous phone conversations before the visit.
Speaker 6: Here's my thoughts. We approached hims like, if we were the prosecutors, knowing that this is coming, what would we be out doing to attack what investigators John and mag and Daney are coming up with?
Speaker 2: Right now, yeah, let's just pretend.
Speaker 1: Basically, they told David that in order to help him, they needed to know everything so that there are no surprises that could hinder his investigation and potential case, for example, properly preparing for attacks and character assassinations if he goes back to court. Maybe if I had point blank asked David, have you ever been violent with anyone? He would have told me about some of this. So maybe when the guys do ask those questions point blank, he will tell them the truth so we can all move past it and to points of actual innocence. But they needed to hear that from David first. They needed him to be honest.
Speaker 3: I do want him to not bullshit us with who he was back then. So if he out of the gate, you know, tells us things that he was involved in, things that we know about, things that we don't know about, then I'll be more apt to listen to him as he's telling us things about this case.
Speaker 1: We arrive at the prison and the guys go in, leaving me in the rental car once again. While waiting, I take a joy ride. The area around prison is actually quite beautiful, and that's always struck me prisons are usually in rural, tucked away places, intentionally hard to get to and hidden from the world. The guy's finally surfaced a few hours later and hopped in the car. Danny noticed I drove. I was driving.
Speaker 3: She's like three feet tall, Danny. Of course it's going to be different.
Speaker 1: Listen, I didn't move the other mirrors. I was really trying to be respectful of Danny's driving.
Speaker 4: You're fine, you can get out of Danny Danny table. Okay, So what happened?
Speaker 1: Tell me everything. Unlike the visit with Joe, with David, the guys were actually able to take notes an official legal visit, meaning note taking was allowed last time. Remember, John and Danny had to relate everything back to me from their memory. So where did he say he was the thirty first? When Joe says he was brought to them all by fish, right, that's what he told me, buying fish. Yeah, remember that on the thirty first, the day we believe Yvonne was murdered. According to David's work time card, he got off work at around twelve twenty nine pm, earlier than usual. David's grandfather testified that David got home from work around four PM that day, So what was David doing from twelve thirty to four? David said he was buying fish and cleaning big cat cages, something that wasn't able to be cooperated and the prosecution said during this time, David was bringing Joe to the mall to get his hotel room, and Joe has said that too in certain versions of his events.
Speaker 2: He acknowledged that he would have left at noon that day, but can't explain anything really again, until.
Speaker 1: The guys continued to ask David about the thirty first, the night Yvonne was murdered. They wanted David to tell them how he and Joe wound up together that evening, because, remember the Enox testified Joe and David were together around five pm in the Enox driveway with the Lion cub before David went to shoot fighting and Brett Enoch drove Joe to the mall. No matter how many times or ways the guys said they asked, David continually left out that he was with Joe at least briefly on the thirty first, the day Yvonne was murdered.
Speaker 2: And then we're like, well, wait a second, you're in the Enox front yard with a fucking cat? How did that happen if Joe?
Speaker 1: David had repeatedly told me that he wasn't really friends with Joe. Mainly he said he was only with Joe when he saw him around town asking for a ride. But we also found some incident reports of David's run ins with the law, and one even mentions Joe Wilkes being present. It seems like David knew Joe much better than just a guy around town.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he just wanted to minimize how much he knew Joe's life and how much he was around Joe.
Speaker 6: The tactic was to make sure he knew we knew you are with Joe the evening that Ivonne later dies.
Speaker 1: The guys told me, Once David realized he could not get around being with Joe the evening of the thirty first, he then incorporated Joe back into the story.
Speaker 3: Then he goes and he's at the drive through of bo Bob's Whore What at Bob's Fizza? And he looks up and all of a sudden, there's Joe waving at him and says, hey, you know what are you doing? Oh? This is where I'm staying. Here's the driveway, pull in here, and he said, I had no idea that he was staying at the Enix. It was pure coincidence.
Speaker 1: In the past, when David explained how he wound up with Joe that evening, his official written out timeline was that he just saw him walking and picked him up. No mention of Bob's pizza. Could he be confused, Sure, but it's hard for me to get past that. If you're innocent, you don't know backwards and forwards the day that ruined your life exactly to a t what you were doing, especially when you were brought into the police station two days later as a person of interest. This was not weeks later. I believe that story would solidify in your brain.
Speaker 3: You know, we know memories aren't tape recorders. Just tell us what you do remember And.
Speaker 7: And he left out the person that is responsible for him sitting in that jail. He completely without prompting, he was not going to bring up the fact that he was with Joe at the Enix.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they asked David about what Sam Peig said. Remember, she's one of Joe's best friends, and she told us that Joe had repeatedly told her before the murder that David wanted Yvonne gone.
Speaker 3: You know, some weeks leading up to the murder, Joe was saying that you were telling him that you wanted of.
Speaker 4: On gone It's.
Speaker 3: And I said, a point blank did that happen? No? That was the other place where I put in my notes. He said no, and then he immediately goes into how pitiful Joe is, And so I wrote my notes, changed subject quickly.
Speaker 1: So the guy's pivoted to the test.
Speaker 3: So I said, okay, who are you before all of this happened, you know, and one to tell him to tell us good things, which he did, only tell us good things. I was a great friend. I was loyal, you know, you know, I could be a little bit of a knuckleab whatever. And so they're like, okay, well, what trouble did?
Speaker 4: Was there any trouble?
Speaker 3: I got a few speeding tickets, Danny, you know, says little tell us about this broken window thing and.
Speaker 1: One of the incident reports we found.
Speaker 3: Then he tells us about that, and you know, we go on and and well what else, you know, what other kind of stuff did you get into? And you know, every fucking thing that we mentioned, Well, what about you? Know, did you did you kick somebody's door? Oh yeah, I did that.
Speaker 2: When it wasn't offering, we had to hit him with what we knew.
Speaker 3: Yes, and once he knew.
Speaker 2: We knew, then he did, oh yeah, that's true.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And if it's like, okay, what else, well did you you know you grab somebody's lip?
Speaker 4: And oh yeah, I did do that, the guy said.
Speaker 1: Once they told him that he did it and they knew he did, then he'd admit to these things. But it was always someone else's fault.
Speaker 4: It's never him.
Speaker 1: It's always somebody else.
Speaker 4: That's exactly right and everything. It can't be always somebody.
Speaker 3: Exactly every every altercation that we were able to pull out of him, it was somebody else's fault. You know, I.
Speaker 5: Just kind of key on.
Speaker 3: It was really something to me that we gave him plenty of opportunities, like, dude, good, bad or ugly, you know, tell us what your life was like, what you were involved in, any trouble you got in. I got a few speeding tickets, and that was all he was going to say. He didn't volunteer a single thing, did he As far as like any of those incidents.
Speaker 1: I'm going to play chunks of the conversation we had, but know that we were driving in the background. Noise changes from one moment to the next.
Speaker 3: Still, everything that we got out of him was because we knew ahead of time what these accusations were. He did not volunteer a motherfucking things.
Speaker 2: Like prosecutors are taught, never ask a question that you don't already know the answer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's what we did.
Speaker 2: It only as we asked, did he give them yep.
Speaker 4: Only he was.
Speaker 3: Going to leave it as I got a few speeding tickets.
Speaker 4: That was that.
Speaker 3: That's where he wanted to leave it. That was his answer.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And we even let a let a pause sit there for a little bit where nobody said anything like what about shooting out the car? Yeah, I had to do that.
Speaker 1: Remember the allegation from his ex girlfriend Angie that he shot out her four tires.
Speaker 3: Only one time, only one tires and it was my car.
Speaker 2: But he did.
Speaker 3: He denied choking her, he denied pulling her hair and hitting her head into the.
Speaker 1: Steeas he denied it all. I felt defeated. I'd put so much time into this and so much of my credibility and emotion, But this time at least I was ready for it. I asked the guys to give it to me straight. Did they think they could take David's case?
Speaker 2: You know, you know when you leave an interview and you feel like you've shared more information than the person who's fighting for their life, there's a reason behind that, and we he is.
Speaker 1: There or is he an idiot?
Speaker 5: Could be?
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, David's a charismatic guy and a slick talker, but I'm not going to say that he's a brain surgeon. You know he's because you know, I don't know, Well, are.
Speaker 4: You picking up on these David Koresh vibes.
Speaker 2: I've picked up on this vibe, the flutter and the grin.
Speaker 4: He's not having to.
Speaker 2: Make direct contact with someone because I feel like that's his way with him handling uncomfortable or sensitive discussions. He did it throughout that interview because he was so by the first ten minutes, twenty minutes, it was so obvious to me that as things first twenty minutes we were talking about prison.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: But as we started to engage in sensitive areas and I watched his facial mannerisms, that was like, it's almost like watching someone on a polygraph, on a control question, and then a.
Speaker 4: Rational question.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's easy to say, yes, my name is Danny, Yes I'm from Austin, Texas or whatever. But then did you kill her? It was the same way when we got into sensitive areas. His head would drop a little bit, his eyes would flow, its blinking was delayed, and he would grin as he gave this, oh that snow, big deal kind of answer. Did you notice it like that job?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I did.
Speaker 1: So you're saying that's weird. And it wasn't only that David couldn't be straight about his violent past.
Speaker 2: He could produce nothing, could not be refuge our suspicions. Our biggest issue is we could never detach Joe from Vonn's house. And we know that at five o'clock that night, you were with Joe, as shitty as he was, as messed up as his life was. At five o'clock, you were in the front yard of the home he was living in, showing off a tiger, and a few hours later she's dead. That's our problem.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and what did you say?
Speaker 2: He had nothing?
Speaker 5: Nothing?
Speaker 2: He had nothing.
Speaker 1: I had hoped when the guys met David, he'd fight for his life with everything he had to prove his innocence. But that doesn't seem like what happened at all.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I don't want to make it all sound bad and horrible or anything like that, but there the overall thing was not really good. He knows what's happening right now. He knows that he's got to be forthcoming. I made that clear to him from the very beginning.
Speaker 1: And he wasn't. So that led the guys to a conclusion about whether they can continue the investigation, continue to invest time and money.
Speaker 3: Answer those questions. I told him that straight up.
Speaker 1: You just weren't truthful. Yeah, you omitted information. We can't do it if you're going to be like that.
Speaker 3: And it never would have even come up. He would have, you know, had had the three of us not been on the ground and learn what we learned. And there's part of me that wants to take up for Joe if, in my heart of hearts, I believe that David had something to do with that. Part of me wants to take up for Joe because you know, everybody believes in David and Joe's the bad guy, and if David had something to do with that that's completely unfair to Joe.
Speaker 1: Then you know what's next. There's always a bombshell. The guys told me some information that floored me. David always gave me the impression he didn't know about Yvonne's sex work until trial. But then I saw his girlfriend's grand jury testimony saying David told her Yvonne quote had a drug problem and was a quote prostitute. And there's also David's grandfather telling the grand jury quote she was a high priced call girl. I circled back to David. How could people in his life know about the sex work if he himself hadn't told them about it. He said, okay, he knew, but only after they broke up. It seemed we were both confused, so I never could get a clear answer. But I never really thought it was important, just odd, so I let it be. But because it was odd, I mentioned it to the guys and they figured if it was odd to me, maybe it meant something. So they asked David the sex work and stuff.
Speaker 3: Oh, he knew all about that. He took her to He took her to West Virginia because she was going to be an escort at these things. What the fucking full well, knowing full well that's what she was going to do.
Speaker 2: But yes, he was like, yeah, I just like I know she's doing. He's going to drop her off and just get it out of my mind.
Speaker 1: The guys said that he told them he knew exactly why she was going, and when they asked how he felt about it, he explained that he just had to put it out of his mind and move on. Remember this is what David told me. What did you think she was doing when she was going to the conventions?
Speaker 8: He chip talking that she got an office job and she was going to a convention for something that doll. I don't recall what it was, to be honest, it was only a half tin of attention to what it was that she was even talking about For a job.
Speaker 1: He claimed he didn't know and didn't ask. I was furious, So then why did he lie to me?
Speaker 3: We don't have to ask him that I don't know?
Speaker 1: And I did. That's next time on the finale of Death and Deceit and Alliance. Coming up on Death and Deceit and Alliance, I.
Speaker 8: Told him, I said, I don't know exactly what time that I was there other than that I never said I wasn't there, David.
Speaker 1: You had to have thought about that day a million times. That's the day that put you in prison.
Speaker 2: Whether David would go up to it or not.
Speaker 3: Finding the nuggets David a chance.
Speaker 2: It's just getting harder to find. I mean, we've turned over enough stones to where there's only a sea left and that.
Speaker 3: There's nothing under the remaining stones.
Speaker 1: Well, they had to pull information out of you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but I don't know what it is that you want me to say to you unless.
Speaker 4: You ask me the question the timeline of your day?
Speaker 1: They said, what is the timeline of your day? You know you're at the Enoch. Why didn't you put that in your timeline?
Speaker 2: If Chris Campbell stands by the story, if Sam stands by the story, do you have contemporaneous and continuing.
Speaker 4: Verification, and then we have a hidden domestic.
Speaker 2: Violence situation which was violent.
Speaker 4: Only shed.
Speaker 1: Death and deceit. In Alliance is produced and reported by me Maggie Freeling, with editorial consulting from Amber Hunt. Aaron Case is our legal researcher. Our executive producer is Steve Fishman. Our engineer and production coordinator is Austin Smith. Eric axelrod Is our assistant producer.