Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Cool People That Cool Stuff. You're twice a week podcast that usually I write a little introduction thing for. I'm your host, Margaret Kilchoy, and my guest is Daniel Daniel.
Speaker 2: That's me. I'm happy to be back track from DJ Danel track You're not gonna believe this flex bomb. That is what all of DJ Daniels you should look up?
Speaker 3: Are there, Daniel? I know you've showed me videos of you DJ, but are there videos on the internet?
Speaker 2: They make me so happy. You're just so Daniel is so zoned. Oh well, thank you. Our group is called Gladiator and we still have some stuff on Spotify or you could, you know, google Gladiator Live.
Speaker 1: What kind of stuff do you dju.
Speaker 2: We were an electronic music group. We played a lot of like hip hop influenced electronic music. It's called trap music and electron trap music. It's original trap music. It's like you know, like like this, the I and whatnot. But yeah, exactly, but played a lot of that, played a lot of house. Another genre we were very into was mombatone, which is a portmanteau that reggaetone and a Dutch house song called Mumba by this uh, this artist Silvia Ecomo and a remix by this dude Afrojack. It's a long story, but basically it's kind of like reggaetone but just electronic, and it was very, very danceable, and I think it kind of like helped push for Well. Actually, I'm not going to take credit for Eyes. I won't. I won't take credit for it, but the genre of moonbatone is definitely helpful in bringing reggaetone to a pop culture audience in some in some capacity. In some capacity, it was always incredibly popular music around the world. But you inn is that what you're sat? Oh no, oh no, I really put my foot in it.
Speaker 3: Oh, And depends on how much Ian agrees with that, might or might not make it into the I know it.
Speaker 2: Ian, if that feels really wrong, please cut it.
Speaker 1: No wait no, Ian, you can interject your own recording about how you feel about it. You won't hate having that extra work because Ian is both our audio engineer and the other half of that particular DJ collective Gladiator A Gladiator.
Speaker 3: I have the full Gladiator on staff, which is something I like to bring up as much as I possibly can.
Speaker 2: Here another another something for the for the audience here is this is a sticker that we used to hold on. Can I cover my face that it focuses? There we go. This is an old sticker of Ian and I when I had a full on zzy top beard. It was famous for bucket hats. WHOA, everything has changed? Shall we bring that back? What that? Well? No, Stephanie will not let me bring the beard back. But maybe the bucket hats.
Speaker 1: We can make cool Zone media stickers that are still just that. Those faces we could. I think you two should be the face of cool Zone Media. I agree, and that is okay. So Sophie is our producer, the afore mentioned Ian is the audio engineer, and our theme music was written for us by un woman. Damn you.
Speaker 2: I know that.
Speaker 3: In the script for under preamble it just says stuff.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's highlighted. So this is part two of a three parter on the queer groups of the early nineteen seventies in the US and the UK. Last time we talked about the birth of the Gay Liberation Front. Now we're going to talk about a splinter from that which just did so fucking much. We're talking about Star the Street Transvestite Action revolutionaries. I'd actually only ever heard of them in passing like they were like, oh, there's like a mutual aid group that passed out food to street queer sex workers in New York City, And that's true. They did do that. They also did so much more than that. Hell yeah, So Star was for and by street gay people, street homeless people, and anybody that needed help. Basically, it was founded in nineteen seventy by Sylvia Rivera and Marsha P. Johnson, who are both veterans of the Stonewall rioting and the Gay Liberation Front and the GAA. Actually they were kind of did it all. They are most famous now people be like, oh, the you know, trans woman of color who threw the first brick at Stonewall. It is not true that they like quote through the first brick at Stonewall. That doesn't matter. They are people who fought in the riots and did amazing work as organizers, and their contributions should still not be taken away. But so Star started during the defense for other gay people because we've always been working together. In nineteen seventy, NYU canceled a bunch of planned dances once they realized they were sponsored by the gays dundon ooo oooh the canceling not the case. Yeah yeah, well boo. From the point of view of NYU, you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: So the GLF, the Radical lesbians, the one word that talked about before, and other groups occupied the hall at least eighty people. The numbers fluctuated. Sometimes there'd be as few as ten, sometimes there'd be as many as like three hundred. For almost a week they occupied a building of NYU. Hell yeah, yeah, no, I I never heard of it, you know, But then again, people were occupying universities like every fucking week in nineteen sixty nine, nineteen seventy. In this case, I think so street gays came and helped street gays in this context, being gay people lived on the street because they had no home, and Sylvia and Marsha, who are both homeless sex workers, talked to folks and non street gay folks were like, yeah, if you organize, we'll have your backs. And so at this occupation, this is the first time a lot of these different groups really came together like and saw each other and had to like live with each other and organize with each other. Street transvestites and middle class gays black folks, white folks, Latino folks. They all played spin the bottle together in the basement of an NYU building, sleeping on pool tables and shit. A lot of lesbians and street queens hung out together for the first time. These were groups that have been like kind of a little bit distanced, right, and it was a major coming together for the movement. The occupation lasted six nights before it was broken up by police at gunpoint, who were like, we're gonna Jesus I can kill you off you don't get the fuck.
Speaker 2: Out of here, all right, fine, I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. And so afterwards the street queens they were tired of running, you know. I think a lot of it was like, well, they were perfectly happy to do the occupation. That better sleep on a pool table than the doorway, you know, Right, And so they formed Star And partly it was to get away from mafia control of spaces again, right, there's a big part of all of this, but there was no complete escape. We'll talk about how the mafia still ties into all of it. Their platform fought for the rights of trans people and for street youth. I like the way they wrote here's the last point of their manifesto. After there's eight other points before it that are sort of like reasonable demands, like hey, stop exploiting us, you know, and all that quote, we want a revolutionary people's government where transvestites, street people, women, homosexuals, Puerto Ricans, Indians and all oppressed people are free and not fucked over by this government who treat us like the scum of the earth and kills us off like flies one by one and throws us into jail to rot the government who spends millions of dollars to go to the moon and lets poor Americans starve to death.
Speaker 2: So they're pretty strong. Yeah, I like that. They're just like the way they wrote was like, well this is what I think, you know, Yeah, I mean, you know, got to get it out. Yeah, and very clearly too. Right.
Speaker 1: Yes, there's not a lot of it. Yeah, And there's not a lot like jargon.
Speaker 2: It's just no.
Speaker 1: And so they were regularly, the two of them, are and Sylvia, they were regularly like they'd go and like get two hotel rooms and then get fifty street queers crammed into these two hotel rooms.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: Then they started sleeping in a I believe they squatted this. It was a parked tractor trailer in an outdoor parking lot in Greenwich Village.
Speaker 2: Cool yeah, hell yeah.
Speaker 1: And there was more than twenty Star activists living in the trailer. And when I say Star activists, I mean like fourteen and fifteen year olds.
Speaker 2: Wow, oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Star Marcia and Sylvia were like eighteen, so they were like the mothers, you know, eighteen. And these these teenagers had the scars to show from the families that they'd fled. I'm not gonna get into like you can read about a lot of the specific stuff that these people have suffered, and I don't I don't feel the need to. We can believe that their lives were hard, yeah, for real, And not all of them. Most of the street queens were somewhere in the like vestite, transfeminine, like people who are you know, sign mail at birth, who are wearing women's clothes, who identify all different ways later in their lives, but at the time identified as street queens. But some of them were also girls in men's clothes, so it wasn't just the other way around. And they had all had really fucked up, hard lives. There's a whole bunch of stories about the premature deaths they came to coming from violence. A few of them murdered people of their own in street fights. A rough and tumble existence. So they lived in this eighteen wheeler and the reason I'm guessing it squatted is that one morning they woke up and it was driving away. Wow, So they all had to jump out yeah no, yeah, And it was like I think Marcia and Sylvia had like gone off to like they pull all at the end of the night. They'd all pull all their money from panhandling and petty crime and sex work and stuff, and they would pull all their money and then Sylvie and march It would go and buy food and they were like coming back at dawn to like bring back food. And the truck was like driving right, it was gone and like all the kids are jumping out of it. One of them who was on downers slept through it and like ended up in California.
Speaker 2: California. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't entirely understand the means by which is the person that slept this long they must have like come woken up and then been like oh fuck, I don't really know.
Speaker 2: I mean, they probably woke up in the middle of the nowhere at a rest stop that was getting like refuel and it was like where are we you got to stay on It's like all right, well, yeah, this is what we're doing now. Yeah, that must have been a niche. And so without their trailer, they rented a piece of shit building from the mafia and they paid for this. Okay, there's two buildings that Stars involved in, and all of the stories about both of them are conflated. This is my best piece scene in a part. The buildings that they rented they were paid for two ways. One with Sylvie and Marsha's sex work. They tried to kind of be like, look, we'll do it you all please, fifteen year olds, don't you know. And plus fundraising dances thrown by Star and the GLF together and apparently at these these dances, Sylvia would collect the donations at the door armed with a knife to make sure that people donated we support Yeah, she also pocketed some of the donations for her own use, you know, to be this is where we point out they are eighteen. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so the first place, the more like formal place that they had was called the Gay Community Center the GCC, which is one of the ancestors of all gay community centers today, right, And it's like, I remember when I didn't have health insurance and you know, like lived in a van or whatever, and I like hurt my chest. I like went to the this like place in Boston that's this giant building that's a gay health clinic or whatever, you know, and it was great. They treated me even though I was uninsured and things like that. But it's just like really important to remember that this like this is where, this is where it comes from, this infrastructure that was built by sex workers and by people had really fucking hard lives. So they started the GCC. It's conflated with the Star House that comes a little bit later. It doesn't help that Sylvie and Marsha are both unreliable narrators, quite known for embellishing the truth. The GLF and Star rented this Gay Community Center and they use the top floor is a classroom. They taught literacy to kids who had grown up on the streets. They taught self defense, they taught history, they taught crafts, whatever people wanted, right and whatever people came by like whoever, it wasn't just for those for all comers. And then There's the Star House, which was in a much worse part of town, and it was a flophouse for street queens, and they ran it like a social center too, even though there was like no for a while, there's no running water, and for a while, there's no heat. For while, there is no electricity, and stuff like that. And at this place they offered food and childcare to the community around them as well. Right, they're like, hey, we're hanging out here all day, like you can leave your kids with us, which is like kind of wild to think about, but it was like a really important thing for the community that they were in and their attitude about it. I'll just quote Sylvia Rivera in an interview with Queer historian Leslie Feinberg quote, we fed people, in clothed people. We kept the building going. We went out and hustled the streets. We paid the rent. We didn't want the kids out in the streets hustling. They would go out and rip off food. There was always food in the house and everyone had fun. Later, we had a chapter in New York, one in Chicago, one in California and England. It lasted two to three years. Yeah, and they you know it was lit by candles half the time. They had to figure out all the plumbing and all the electrical themselves. They ate spaghetti dinners when they were like feeling rich, they'd have sausage in the morning. And they fought their own drug addictions. This was a major problem in Manhattan and New York City at the time. They often failed to fight their own drug addictions. Often people died in the attempt of fighting these addictions. It's the kind of history that's easy to romanticize, but it's also dangerous to romanticize. Like they're amazing, they're revolutionaries, and they had some of the hardest lives that anyone in the US has ever lived, and they were far from perfect, and they did so fucking much. They were also kind of religious in their way. They were mostly Catholic, but not in the Catholic way that you get in church. They were more folk Catholic, which is my favorite kind. Interesting to quote Sylvia, we'd all get together to pray to our saints before we go out hustling. A majority of the queens were Latin, and we believed in an emotional, spiritualistic religion. We have our own saints. Saint Barbara the patron Saint of homosexuality, Saint Michael, the Archangel Lacaridad de Cobra, the Madonna of Gold, and Saint Martha, the Saint of transformation. Saint Martha had once transformed herself into a snake, so to her we'd pray, please let them, don't let them see through the mask, let us pass as women and save us from harm. And to the other three, we'd kneel before our altar of candles and pray. Saint Barbara, Saint Michael, Lecarada de Cobra, we know we are doing wrong, but we got to live, and we got to survive, so please help us. Bring us money tonight, protect us and keep evil away. We kept the sword of Saint Barbara at the front door and the sword of Saint Michael at the back door to ward off evil. We were watched over and for anyone who's I had to look it up. The sort of Saint Barbara's or Saint George are not sadly literal swords, but they are potted plants.
Speaker 2: Just cool too. The potted plant is mightier than the sword.
Speaker 1: As they say, Yeah, yeah, specifically and this particular context, it probably worked better. Yeah, and the two also joined the Young Lord's Party, who we covered extensively in the past four parter about them, and they just fucking ruled. It's a Puerto Rican revolution organization, and at one point that organization provided security for Sylvia Rivera when there was like all kinds of its late as constantly i mean death threats against her, and it was like contentious in the We talked about this in the Young Lord's episode, but it was like contentious. Some of them were like, oh, we don't, we don't know about trans people. But eventually they're like, no, we do, and we will take care of and protect this person, you know. And they met the Young Lords and Sylvia Rivera's Puerto Rican but they met the Young Lords because there was a demonstration against police repression that the Young Lords put on and this is the first time that a star banner was carried in a demonstration. And then after the demo they were like, yeah, sign me up. They were also friends with the Panthers and Hue P. Newton, and they also pushed the envelope about trans acceptance in the GLF and the GAA. They also pushed like a lot of people are like, oh, people had a hard time with them because of the trans thing. That's part of it. People had a hard time with them because of the class thing. Both of these things, right wow, Because like, for example, the gay dances were by donation. The GAA, the glf ones and start decided rightly that as homeless folks they should not have to donate, right yeah, And so this like caused tension. Oh you're supposed to donate, and they're like, fuck you, or we fucking do what we want. You know, they marched in all the demos all the time for all of the issues.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: One of their chants, which absolutely does not rhyme, is go left, go gay, go pick up the gun.
Speaker 2: That doesn't even hit like the you're not hitting the the the candor either the cadence and the cadence right either.
Speaker 1: I know, And I'm pretty sure it was in English. I like thought it through in Spanish and like, no, I think this is an English language chant that just whatever, it's hard as fuck, go off.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Trans people did not have a perfect easy time in the movement. The street kids and particular, they were often used as cannon fodder, basically because they were willing to be directly confrontational because they were used to short, hard lives of conflict. So when they needed someone to like, go fight the cops, the street kids are always willing to go fight the cops, right, And this was taken advantage of us sometimes within the movement, but overall the GOLF and then even the less radical GAA. They stuck with protecting the street queens and specifically, and this is contention because of modern politics, they stuck with protecting the T and LGBT when push came to shove. And you know what else protects you? If the ad is for LifeLock, I guess.
Speaker 2: Uh, that'd be maybe LifeLock.
Speaker 1: You know who else had trans people's back was Reagan whose gold coins by can we revisionist to one of the people who saw that, No, that would be bad.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 1: When I first started writing this, I was like, and then I'll get up and get into act up and the AIDS crisis and I'm like, that is going to be its own major thing to drive into amen. So if this is an ad for Reagan, I can't make a joke about it. He was a monster and has a lot of blood on his hands. Fortunately he's dead, but we don't have a lot of control over our advertisers.
Speaker 2: We do not, unfortunately.
Speaker 1: So here's some ads.
Speaker 2: And we're back. Yay.
Speaker 1: So the GAA and Star they pushed New York City to add LGBT folks to an existing Equal Rights Act. This was like their big legal campaign that they worked on for a very long time. And the city immediately, of course, did what it always does, which was like, well, you drop the T from the LGBT and we'll talk about it, you know. To be clear, they still wouldn't have done it, as we'll get to, but you know, they are like, oh, you want to you want to ditch the weirdos, you know, and a minority of the GAA was like, yeah, let's drop the transvestites from the bill. To be clear about language, I've probably talked about this at other times in the past, but like, transvestite is not a word that most people use anymore. I personally don't see it as slurry to identify as a transvestite, but it is.
Speaker 2: It is the.
Speaker 1: Language that people were using at the time, and it specifically tends to refer to men wearing women's clothes. All of this gets quotes, but you know, whatever anyway, everything is all mixed up in different ways at different times. So they were like, hey, drop the drop the transvestites, and GAA was like, no, we're sticking to our guns. They've always been with us. One member said quote, we would not play the game of well we could pass pass it if we eliminate these people. In fact, the first arrest in the GAA's history was Sylvia Rivera, who is arrested while getting signatures for the petition for the Gay Rights Bill, which is last week in our Newsies episode, we talked about how one of the black newsies was arrested for passing out of like just literally a flyer. It's like the same kind of shit, nothing ever fucking changes. The NYPD is the crew the villain in both of these things, seventy years apart, where they're like, oh, look a person the color doing something is absolutely free speech. We're going to arrest them.
Speaker 2: Classic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So the GLF and the GAA both flooded the courtroom in her defense. They stood up for her. The GAA paid her legal fees, and eventually her charges were dropped. The hearings for the bill itself carried on for a while. During one hearing, the city tried hard to transbate the rest of the gays and dropping trans folks. Cops tried to bar drag queens from entering the courtroom. I think they were like, oh, you're not dressed appropriately for court. As my best bet. Angry gays surrounded their quote half sisters this was non derogatory term, and forced them to let the drag queens sit in the front row. The city councilors were like, yeah, but what if men this is some nothing's ever changed shit. They were like, yeah, well, if we protect trans people, what if men in dresses use the women's room?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: No, yeah, And they pointed to one woman who just come out of the women's room and We're like, what this is their quote? What about that thing coming out of the bathroom there? So that woman, June Bartel, who I think was a trans woman, squatted down, lifted up her skirts and said, how can you tell if I'm a man or a woman?
Speaker 2: Oh? Man?
Speaker 1: And I don't know if there was like underwear or underneath that. I don't know exactly what happened here, which is not the first time in researching this in this podcast history where a trans woman has lifted her skirts the court to be like, fine, if you care so much about junk, here's my fucking junk.
Speaker 2: Here's my fucking junk. Yeah, hunk.
Speaker 1: So that this caused a near riot in the courtroom when this happened, And this has started by them calling an adult a thing right by using the bathroom that they were less likely to get murdered for using, because that's the other thing, right, The reason that I mean, well, the reason that women use the women's room is it's labeled. And I remember at one point being like, well, there's this is when I was just a just a quote transvestite or whatever, identify as a man who wore dresses or whatever, and I'd be like, name Margaret. It was all a very confused time in my life. When I was younger, I'd be like, well, I look at the drawing, and the drawing is of me, but the gender is the wrong, you know, like like right, like whatever, it's not safe for people to whatever. I remember, okay, we actually just said, like, you know, a different. At different points in my life, I pass or don't pass in different ways. And I remember when I hit the point at which there was no safe bathroom because like, if I have like a beard and I'm in a skirt, I can use the men's room. And everyone's like, oh whatever, you know, sure, But I remember the point, you know, I was at a show and I went into the men's room and everyone's staring at me, and I'm like, oh, right, because I don't look like a man. And then I'm like, but I don't look like a woman. There is no safe place for me to urinate at this show anyway.
Speaker 2: That's an aside.
Speaker 1: So Sonia riot in the courtroom. Queens are rushing down the stairs. The cops rush in, right, and they're like, and so queens start rushing down the stairs and they bowl the riot cups. So CoP's over, and they like tumble down the stairs because they're wearing too much stuff. Sylvia Rivera jumps off the second floor balcony at this point, like it's a punk show. By the third day of the hearing, transvestites were banned from using any restrooms great and the bill was defeated. It took until nineteen eighty six before it passed at all, and it was passed without protections or trans people. This is like my argument about by like even without adding even without trans people in the bill. It took fifteen sixteen more years before New York was ready for it. It took another sixteen years. It took until two thousand and two before trans people to have legal protections under the Equal Rights Act in New York City. More than anything, Star fought for prisoners, especially LGBT prisoners and street youth, at demonstrations but also testifying in every hearing they could, and they won a lot of these things. They won educational rights for the young prisoners on Rikers Island, more than sixty percent of whom at the time we were awaiting trial without being able to afford bail. That is still a problem today. There's like people who die on Rikers Island because they got I don't have the details in front of me. It was like a kid who like maybe stole a backpack or something, who fucking died on Rikers as a teenager, And.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I'm familiar with that story.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And it's like, we theoretically have a lie Le system in which you are not a guilty person before you've been convicted, right theory, But if you're poor, it doesn't matter. A lot of Star themselves spent time in Rikers Island, and Sylvia was just fucking cool. Like mostly this is an episode about like movements, right, Like some of my episodes are more movement, some of them are more people. It is like mostly a movement one. But Sylvia just fucking ruled. When someone asked her to run for office in the GAA, she said quote, I would rather be someone who can stand here and argue with the hierarchy, but than be the hierarchy.
Speaker 2: And she was.
Speaker 1: It's true she was the president of Star, but she had tried to convince Marsha to be the president and Marsha refused it. Because I had to figure out a way to shoehorn Tolkien into the episode. It reminds me of a quote by him, quote the most improper job of any men, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity. The argument being that, no, the only good leader is a leader who does not seek out to be a leader. That's good, yeah, like not attracted to power, you know, sure, but seeing it as a burden is a very different thing. And I think that she showed that very well. She also drew the earliest version that I've ever found of what's now the trans symbol, you know, the like circle with the male female and androg and gene sign coming off of it. Yeah, like, I can't source that. In nineteen seventy two, she wrote a piece called Transvestites Your Half Sisters and Half Brothers of the Revolution, which is an awesome title, and it used a symbol that was like three andrew gene symbols overlapping an event diagram, and it just like looks like that symbol. It's the three arrows coming out.
Speaker 2: And I don't know.
Speaker 1: I've found people on the internet claiming that the symbol the trans symbol comes from a radio show in two thousand and two. This is not true. By summer two thousand and two, I already had a hoodie with the trans symbol silk screened on it, even though I was a straight boy. I was very confused kid named Margaret wearing dresses. And I'd learned this symbol from a street a street queen, basically a trans woman named Jennifer had who had already had one on her black hoodie for a very long time.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 1: I asked a bunch of friends before while was writing the script, a bunch of my friends who might know, and all of them were like, man, that symbol is just in the ether, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's one of the I mean, I think this is one of the sadder realities of oppressed groups, is that so often their history is erased by people, you know, committing violence on them just because it's like, you know that it's this the the horrible quote is history is written by the winners, and it's so often that as we search for more of that history from people who were cast aside and not big old air quotes quotes, not traditional winners, it's like we just lose that and that is it's sad because that feels like something that is so not i mean, not crucial to a movement, but it's it's important to know your and know where they come from. Feel like it's kind of similar to the purple hand thing. It's like, is that preserved in some way? Yeah, it's like I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, No, No, that's such a That's such a good point. And a lot of the work that I end up having to do for the show is just like figuring out there's so much stuff that just is never written about, like sex workers in particular are written out of history, and or rather people's sex work is written out of history in the same way that people's queerness is written out of history, and the same way that people's radicalness of different ideological attachments. I mostly notice anarchism because of my own biases, and it's like you'll read about all these people, you know, like oh, Emma Goldman, the amazing birth control activist, which is true, but like they are entirely writing out her anarchism. And then also she herself, in her autobiography, talks about this time that she like wanted to make money for her boyfriend to shoot a guy, and so she went out to go do sex work to shoot and Andrew clay Frick, the industrialist who was killing a bunch of striking workers. It was actually all a bad idea in the end, shooting him made everything worse, but you know, I didn't know that at the time. And so she goes out and tries to get some money for it, and so she like goes into sex work. Probably in her own autobiography she's like, oh, I went out, but a guy gave me a bunch of money, did not sleep with him and said that you're not cut out for this kind of work, right, And I think the most likely thing there is that she didn't want to talk about having done sex work, like explicitly, because you don't talk about it. And so it's not just the winners as in the people who like, but it's like the winning ideologies.
Speaker 2: Right, sure, totally, totally. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, so the Starhouse, it actually only lasted nine months before one of its members turned out to have not been paying the rent and they were all evicted. I think one of the members was basically embezzling the rent.
Speaker 2: That sucks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the best I can read. It's a little bit reading between the lines on that one. Sure, And a lot of the kids didn't survive the next year on the street. A lot of them died from drugs, a lot of them were murdered by clients. At least two of them were murdered by clients. A lot of straight men hired transsex workers because trans women are fucking hot, and then kill them later in a fit of oh no, I did a gay and yeah, and that's a thing that still when people talk about transgenocide, that's like and this is especially.
Speaker 2: True for.
Speaker 1: Trans women of color, and particularly true for trans women color. Sex workers have some of the hardest lives of anyone who lives. Shout out to the people who keep living.
Speaker 2: And keep fighting, truly shout out.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: In addition to Starr, there was also the Queen's Liberation Front, which is not about queens the borough, but queens like drag queens. It started in nineteen sixty nine by a drag queen named Lee Brewster and by a quote heterosexual transvestite named Bunny Eisenhower. Is one of the things that like, even back then, people are like, wait, I don't understand some of you sleep with women and some of you sleep with men, you know. And in the movement people are like, yeah, like actually like bisexuality the invisible, the invisible part of LGBT, Like they were actually there the whole time, and actually all of their papers were like bisexuality rules, bisexuality is great. You can be full gay, you can be bisexual. Like it's fine, you know. So the Queen's Liberation Front published Drag Magazine, which covered areas ignored by other gay publications. They raised money for the first Pride March, the Christopher Street Liberation day, and they were to legalize cross dressing in New York City because that has been illegal in the past and will probably be illegal in the future. There are states where it would not be legal for me to give presentations about anything. There was also the Trends I know, I know. There was also the Transvestite Information Service, the TVIS, which had chapters across the country. So Star lasted until nineteen seventy three. At the Pride Parade that year, in fighting was getting the better of the movement, and Sylvia Rivera was either if any how you ask, denied a chance to speak, or if you ask the other side. She refused to abide by the rules of who gets to like how to ask for a chance to speak. She either could be easily true. She was very notorious for ignoring the rules of polite organizing and conversation. As much as I'm like she ruled. She was a very disruptive element in organizing. According to everyone, I'm fine with someone who whatever anyway. Yeah, So she stormed the stage and she took the microphone, and she gave a speech about the need to stand up for gay prisoners, and she was decrying how Pride had become white and middle class, and she was met with booze. So then a speaker came on and spoke out against drag, called Sylvia a genital male, claimed that drag was just entertainment and it was misogynist and demeaning. This was also met with booze. The crowd was divided, and later that speaker, who I don't want to name, she recanted and she wished she hadn't said that shit, and she realized that in trans people, it's part of us. Yeah, that's why I'm not naming her. After that, another speaker came on from the Queen's Liberation Front and defended the queens, and basically the movement is divided at this point, and more and more the gay rights movement went towards assimilationism and towards single issue politics, which split the LGBT from each other. Right, incrementalism and reform became the words of the day. It was kind of a like, well, we're kind of getting there. Can't we just be have an easy time?
Speaker 2: You know? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And this stayed the case for five or six years until the eighties and the AIDS crisis, when it was obvious that radical action was needed and the gay movement looked back to its radical founding. That's a story for a different time. First, it's time for the story about mattresses. We haven't sold mattresses in a long time, but maybe you've missed by the future. Yes, I wonder what the ads are in the future. Let's think about what the future ads are.
Speaker 2: Oh man, Yeah, masks, breathers, Yeah, yeah, axes. I mean I'm not I'm not looking forward to our toxic future, but I am looking forward to really cool mask technology. Yeah. And just just the just the go ahead. No, and the sweet deals on these masks. Yeah, and the sweet deal the percent off if you can get by listening to this very podcast.
Speaker 1: Because you know that advertisers are going to last till the very last minute. Like I was thinking about, it's like there's going to be people evicting people for not paying their rent or their mortgage, while like we can see mushroom clouds in the distance, you know, quite literally, quite.
Speaker 2: Literally, we're kicking out into the street. No, I will literally die. Well, I don't have money, so I don't care.
Speaker 3: Yeah, buy one mask, get this free?
Speaker 2: Nice yeah. Yeah, defend yourself against ashes. Yeah, wonderful.
Speaker 1: Here's some ads, So we're back, And a lot of the research about this particular part about Star and also just GLF in general. A lot of it comes from an author I mentioned just like kind of briefly named drop named Leslie Feinberg, and I just want to like highlight her and talk about it really quick, because she is a cool person who did cool stuff, who used both she and Z pronouns, and so I'm going to kind of mix it up in the script. I first ran across here book Stonebusch Blues when I didn't even know that I was queer. This episode is going to be the most people now know about twenty year old me of anything else that I've ever recorded. And Stone Busch Blues exploded my little brain. It is a fictionalized memoir about someone transitioning from butch to trans masculine in the era before Stonewall in a working classifact family in Buffalo, New York.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And it describes a lesbian culture of butches and fems in which a lot of the butcheres are stone butches, which meant that they give pleasure sexually but don't receive pleasure, and that's like their essentially gender and their sexual orientation and reading that helped a lot. It helped baby Margaret figure some shit out about herself. So thank you, Leslie. Rest in peace.
Speaker 2: Shout out, Leslie.
Speaker 1: Here's a quote from that book that I think is always worth bringing out. I'm not saying we'll live to see some sort of paradise, but just fighting for change makes you stronger. Not hoping for anything will kill you for sure. Take a chance. You're already wondering if the world could change, Try imagining a world worth living in, and then ask yourself if that isn't worth fighting for. You've come too far to give up on hope.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Leslie Feinberg was born in a Jewish, white working class family in nineteen forty seven in Missouri, then grew up in Buffalo, New York. Zee was a high school dropout who started work at fourteen who went on to advance gender studies more than anyone else I can name off the top of my head. Z was a big part of the move from transsexual as the primary label for folks to transgender, and the idea behind this is like moving away from the medicalization of transnests. Right. It's not saying that transsexual is like a bad word, right, It's just like, not necessarily everyone's experience because not everyone's experience is medicalized. Not everyone's going to have surgery or change their like physical sex characteristics, you know. She also spent her time organizing with radical lesbians to do anti racist work, like a group of ten of them which just go around cities covering every piece of racist graffiti they could find. In the early eighties, she went on a tour explaining the AIDS epidemic and how it is being denied by journalists and politicians. Is the organized community defense against the Klan and four gay bars and four abortion clinics. She just did it all. Z was Marxist. She edited the newspaper the World Workers Party. By the end of her life. She stayed involved in organizing and protests her entire life. Her lifelong partner, Minnie Bruce Pratt, and her were finally married in twenty eleven. Her last campaign was the campaign to free c. C. MacDonald, who was a young Minneapolis black trans woman who killed the transphobe who attacked her and then went to prison for defending herself.
Speaker 2: I can hate that shit, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Leslie died at sixty five of complications from various illnesses and from medical neglect because the doctors didn't know what the fuck to do with them, because I don't know, because doctors are not always medical neglect is a thing and a problem. I'm not trying to say doctors are bad. I'm saying that our medical system has problems.
Speaker 2: Yes, always good to have a healthy bit of skepticism, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: And she's not subtle about her politics, right, and I don't agree with like like, but that's not my point here. I'm not going to get into what I disagree without it about her. But her last words were remember me as a revolutionary communist.
Speaker 2: That's so sick. I know, I know, you're just like dying and you're like, never forget. It's like no one was gonna forget, actually, I mean I don't know. People probably would have been.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, really fought for trans rice And that's true, right, But like it's in this context, but we still got so much more gay liberation to talk about it. It's got drag queens drinking at the pub, it's got nuns doing the can can, mice will be unleashed, mony Python is involved. On part three, we're gonna talk about the UK Gay Liberation Front.
Speaker 2: Nice. Yeah, that's exciting. I'm stoked. Yeah. No, all of them are fun, but part three is particularly fun. Oh yay.
Speaker 1: But what else is fun is your Twitch stream and whatever else you want to shout.
Speaker 2: Out pluggables, Yeah, you all over the internet. DJ Underscore Daniel da n L. H you from me on twitch, Twitch dot tv slash dj d a n L. The most exciting thing happening on my twitch recently is that every Friday, I take a single player game that I've been meeting to beat out of my backlog and actually finish it, because lord knows, some people have books they haven't finished, some people have movies they haven't seen. I have a whole bunch of single player video games that I played for four hours and went never mind, I want to go play something else, and just never finished. And I just started Jedi Fallen Order and that game has been a lot of fun so far. I'm a big Star Wars fan and I just never got around to really giving my game a shot, and I just started that and it's been great so far. So come on by on Fridays and check me out and do that. Hell, yeah, you go.
Speaker 1: I used to never think that I would want to watch other people play video games. Yeah, it's so relaxing. It's sometimes yeah, like it really can be. It's like when your friend or your roommate or your you know, partner or something is sitting around playing video games and you get to be like, oh, no, you're gonna shoot the oh you shot the thing, and you're like, it's often very nice.
Speaker 2: It is nice. I appreciate that. Thank you for the cell on watching people play video game. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it took me by surprise that I liked it totally. Okay, if you like tabletop role playing games, I'm kickstarting tabletop role playing game called p Number City, but I've already talked about that. You can find me on the internet Magpie kill Joy and Twitter. I did the opposite DJ Channel. I have different handles on every platform because I'm a fool. I'm Margaret Killjoy in Instagram, but I got on the Blue Sky early enough that I grabbed at Margaret and I'm like, but I want at Margaret, and so I'm at Margaret instead of at Margaret Kiljoy one Blue Sky. I hate Twitter with the fiery passion. It's also my largest platform and my ability to eat food relies on my ability to tell people about the things I'm doing. So I'm still there for now. But if it's the future, you'll also find me add Apocalypse Land, selling prepper stuff, but only in the future, not currently. Actually, there'll be a mutual aid thing. You actually can just show up and get the apocalypse stuff. Yeah, so I want to shout, yeah, pitch my future mutual aid project, which probably shouldn't have been called Apocalypse Land. People are very mad at me because it's like insensitive, because the apocalypse has been really hard on people, and how dare so anyway, Sophie, you got a plug?
Speaker 2: No good? Isn't it inherently hard on everyone? Isn't that the idea? Yeah? Yeah, no, it's I don't want to dive into the world of these people who think is problematic? Are wrong?
Speaker 1: Yeah? The discourse from the discourse future the Future Discoorse, Sophie, Can we do a podcast?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: But what if there was a podcast about Russian oligarchs who suddenly die?
Speaker 2: What if?
Speaker 3: Oh you could listen? Is that all hosted by.
Speaker 2: Yeah? I did say a good one and if you want to listen to it ad free, you can subscribe to cooler Zone, a subscription services that allows you to receive all of our shows ad free so that you can enjoy them at your leisure without hearing the Reagan coin stuff. Just our fun wrap arounds about reagancoinwur.
Speaker 3: Podcasts, and soon on something else. Hopefully I can announce soon for my non Apple using friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, listen, you are heard, you are seen, worth trying to support you.
Speaker 1: And if it's the future, you can find us on shortwave radio.
Speaker 2: Yes, gab into our semi radio.
Speaker 3: Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts and cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonemedia dot com or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.