Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to Season three one three, Episode three of the Dailies Geistart production of iHeartRadio. This is a podcast where we take a deep dive into America's shared consciousness. It is Wednesday, November fifteenth, twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: What's November fifteenth? That's easy.
Speaker 1: It's National Education Support Professionals Day. Is National Raisin Brand Day, National Spicy.
Speaker 2: Hermit Cookie Day. I don't know what the fuck that is?
Speaker 1: National bunt cake Day. I know what that is? National clean out Refrigerator Day, National Philanthropy Day in America, recycles Day, or do they Because in La I see them putting the recycling and the trash in the same truck and it goes and I'm saying, well, I guess they separated at some point. But that's where we are, Blake, Do you did do any of those? Resonate with you?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Clean out your fridge Day, I think for me is every single day.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I subscribe to forty six mule kit companies, so it's a constant. It's a real mess.
Speaker 1: You always have a bag of rapidly spoiling spinach for some reason in the back of here.
Speaker 2: It's a race against well, you already know what time it is.
Speaker 1: My name is Miles Gray, aka the Blazer, Frenny Occasion, the Lord of lankasham Yo boy Kusama, obviously, and you heard me pull my guest host in. It's the Lord of Chaos and so one of my favorite people, and I believe one of your favorite people too. Please welcome my guest host, Blake Wexler.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks for having myles. This Islake Wexler aka I want.
Speaker 1: To blake free. I want to blake free. I want to blake free from Jack's lies. He's so self said. It's fine. I don't need him.
Speaker 2: It's great to be here. Thanks for letting co host. Oh yeah, I'm like a lot of responsibility.
Speaker 1: No, no, not at all. No, no, not show. We don't do anything. We're worthless. I just don't say that. We're mere voicing job. We're mere voices. Were mere voices. But yes, let's move on to our guest today. First time guest, but someone I've definitely known about for some time. I'm sure many people have as well. Not only is this person a very talented author, they're also a comedian. They've worked in tech. They gave us many memories throughout twenty twenty on the social media's I think it's safe to say that their debut memoir, Foolish is out now. Because it is out now. That's why it is safe to say, and they should pick it up. Please welcome, And obviously I do want to give the sub head to that title Foolish Tales of Assimilation, Determination and humiliation. I think words many of us that listen to the show can live by. Please welcome to the third chair, Sarah Cooper.
Speaker 3: Cooper, Oh my god, this is the best intro I've ever got.
Speaker 1: Well make it easy.
Speaker 3: There is twenty five for sure.
Speaker 1: We'll take that. There, we'll take that. We'll take that.
Speaker 3: The yelling, the jerseys in the background, it's really it's a lot going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a lot going well, this is all the rack of jerseys behind me is because I don't have proper soundproofing. So this is kind of like baffling. And it's also baffling to my partner. Why I have so many jerseys as someone who's.
Speaker 2: On it is a cost efficient way of doing it, is buying authentic jerseys instead of it's.
Speaker 1: Just my padding. Yeah, there are my kids. I've had these for so many years.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean showing off?
Speaker 1: No, I mean I do show off my new WU Tang New York Knicks jersey, because yeah, I am proud.
Speaker 3: Of that one that's in the front for a reason you put that there.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, absolutely I spent way too much money on it. But anyway, Sarah, thank you so much for joining us. I know you you've been you're traveling, You're all over the place, so thank you for making the time for stopping by. I really appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Oh, anytime, anytime for you.
Speaker 1: Thank you. This is getting started so well. I feel like we already know each other. And like, book, how's that been putting out your first memore? Because this is in your first book, right, this is this is something you've done. This is just your first memoir.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is my first memoir. I had another book called one Hundred Ticks to Appear Smart in Meetings, and then I had another book called How to Be Successful Without Hurting Men's Feelings, and then I had a few other things I did. But this is the first one with like words, lots of words, you know, and sentences and like paragraphs and like chapters and stuff. So that was like, yikes, you know.
Speaker 2: So you can't color in the images on this one because that was no traditional like a traditional book.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they were going to have they were going to have like a little section with like pictures and stuff, and then I think we decided not to, so like it doesn't even have that many pictures in it, to be honest.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, it's huge. Yeah, you are you on a tour for it?
Speaker 1: Now? Is that why you're you're traveling?
Speaker 3: Or my tour kind of ended already? The book came out in October, but I'm doing another event here in Boston, so that's why I'm doing a little traveling. But you know, I spent too much money on cloth this month, so I was gonna I was going to take myself on a trip to like London, and now I don't have money for that. So now I just I'm in Boston for two days. So instead of London, I'm in Boston for two days in the middle of November.
Speaker 1: So that's it. Okay, at least you're in New England, you know. Yeah, there's that. Boston is the London of New England.
Speaker 3: What a good connection. Yeah, instead of England, I'm in New England.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you do that? Thing like when you look at all the clothes you bought that prevented you from going London, and you look at them, You're like, that's London. I'm looking at London right now. This like reminds you when I would do shit like that by should I didn't need And I'm like, oh, now I can't do this other thing. I'm like this pair of soccer cleats that I bought for I don't know why I haven't played any year. Yeah, that's I think.
Speaker 3: The thing that kills me is when I spend a lot of money on one outfit. Yeah, and I'm just like I could have gotten eight outfits for this one outfit.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The math is in mathing. I get it.
Speaker 4: For me.
Speaker 2: It's not travel, It's it's like medical expenses that I forego because I'm like, oh, there's a pair of back surgeries that I have on the ground that I went on stock X and purchased something. So now I hear you, yeah travel, Wait, you need back surgery, Blake, I am currently you have.
Speaker 3: Two You need a pair of back surgeries.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's true to making the Beast with two backs.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm getting a back production is what I'm getting. Said too, and I'm told I only need one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Well it's good to know. Thank you for being honest. I appreciate trance anytime your back. Yeah, like we got back. We've got your bacs. Saya. We're gonna get to know you even better. But first you got to let people know what we're going to be talking about today. Republicans got to talk about them. They're coping with being wrong by being wronger. It sounds like they're just doubling down on a bad hand. You hate to see it, or maybe you love to see it, and also find out our our laws aren't quite keeping up with our driving habits, and we're gonna look at how a law from about like twenty years old, laws are about twenty years ago, haven't quite kept up with our cell phone technologies, and how how people are not being very good about being safe on the road. Truth Social you hate to see it. They lost seventy three million dollars since it launched, and just turns out as they try and bring the company public, more information comes out as part of the process of merging. So we benefit from seeing just how with how the art of the deal actually works, and maybe that Jeremy Renner has a better app than even Donald Trump. Then we'll talk about SpaceX. They're trying to launch a starship rocket again this week. But there's a lot, a lot of safety violations that have been going on SpaceX I had no idea about that are very troubling. Even if you are an elon stand they will probably not. But for those of us, that aren't very troubling. And if we get time, we'll talk about Andre three thousands, a new album that's coming out Friday. Just drop out. We'll have time. Oh, we'll make time. We'll make that's the lead story, even if we scrap every other story we're going to talk about before we do any of any of that. All of that, Sarah, what is something from your search history that's revealing about who you are?
Speaker 3: I was doing a deep dive on Suzanne Summers today, Okay, yeah, yeah, And I don't know you all are probably too young to remember Three's Company, but it was.
Speaker 2: Hey about it.
Speaker 1: I agree. I agree with the sentiment.
Speaker 3: Jack Tripper was my first first celebrity crush. Oh, John Ritterer. Yeah, And anyway, Suzanne Summers she recently died. Yeah, I mean she died I think a week ago, or no, a month ago, a month ago October fifteenth, she died anyway, So she wrote twenty five books. Did you know that?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Wow? I mean I think my knowledge of her went from obviously there's an agam do they'll be waiting for you? Like I was old enough to watch Three's Company reruns, and then I was like, oh, and then you became the thigh Master lady. Right, And those are kind of the two like pinnacle or like big standout moments in my elder millennial brain. Right, I didn't know she was a prolific author.
Speaker 3: She wrote twenty five books. She Leftree's Company and didn't talk to John Ridder for twenty years because she kind of ruined the show because she wanted to be paid as much as he was being paid on the show for like the fourth season or fifth season. Yeah, and then she had like a follow up sitcom that like called She's the Sheriff that just was rated at forty fourth of the fifty worst shows ever made. But then she came back and she was the mom on step by Step or one of those like you know, she'd get their Friday whatever shows. And she was married to her husband for fifty five years and he's still alive. He's ten years older and he's still alive. And they had this like really explosive sex life like into like their seventies, Like they were having sex multiple times a day. And I'm like, I just I found out a lot about Suzanne Summers.
Speaker 1: That's yeah. I mean she always had a bit of, you know, sex appeal to her, so I guess it doesn't quite strike me as surprising, but yeah, it's good to like goals to be like you can have sex multiple times a day in your seventies.
Speaker 3: Truly to your body break. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Man, what like were her books like sort of memoirs or was she also like was she getting into like kind of interesting niche stuff.
Speaker 3: Her first book was a book of poetry, and the first time she did Late Night was talking about her poetry, her book of poetry, and in the book of poetry is about touch and how important it is to touch people. And she got like Johnny Carson and edwmc mant to hug each other because they never She's like, you guys never touch each other, and like they touched each other for like the first time. It was like really funny. And then she wrote a few memoirs, and she wrote like self help books. She had some weird medical theories that were like questionable.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm just reading one right now that she thinks fluoride may have caused mass shootings. Right he stuff in household pans. Okay, you know we can't bathe, we can't bath fear remed. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but she did get breast cancer twenty two years ago, and very aggressive breast cancer, and she survived for twenty two years, so you know, work, maybe it works for her, you know, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Wow, Suzanne, you know what a legend? What a legend? Were you a family or something?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: No, go ahead, what were you gonna say? Do you want to know what I was? You're gonna shame yourself in front of everyone. Go ahead, I'm not shaming myself. I'm telling you A real story is that I knew that she was a prolific writer because in school and like elementary school, used to do something called summer's reading, where each summer we would read Suzanne summer books exclusively. Great, So whatever you were going to say, now you can say it.
Speaker 3: Wow, are hysterical, And I hope that you will start start a movement across elementary schools. I think summer reading needs to be a thing now.
Speaker 1: Summer. Yeah, absolutely. You have all these kids talking about like is there a floor ride in our water? Teacher, we need to talk about this. I read something very interesting.
Speaker 3: I'm never going to brush my teeth again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like, damn you summers. Yeah. I don't know what I was going to say, Blake, you completely neuralized me with that, with that amazing top tier joke. Sarah, what is something you think is overrated?
Speaker 3: I have a few things if that's okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we'll allow it.
Speaker 3: The first. The first thing I would say is astrology. I had this conversation last week where I was telling a friend that I keep I can't figure out like what I want. I keep going back and forth between things like do I want to do this? Do you I want to do that? And he was like are you a Gemini? And I was like no, I'm a Sagittarius And he was like I knew it. And I was like, wait a second, you knew that I was a Sagittarius even though a second ago you thought I was a Gemini? Like leave me alone, Like why is everybody like, I'm like sunrising like scorpio falling like whatever it is, like what is it? Like? Why do people why do people believe in this?
Speaker 1: I just don't understand it. It's it's a way to I mean, for I always give this anecdote because I was always interested by astrology, but it was usually at my loneliest. I got into it because shout out Susan Susan Miller's astrology zone. She would have like love forecasts and be like, you're a virgo, you need to keep your eye open. And that was a way for me to give myself some kind of hope that I would be like, this thing is telling me some shit that I don't believe myself, but I need someone who I believe is tapped into something larger than I can understand to help me understand that. And then yeah, cut to things where people will be like are you a scorpio. I'm like no, I'm a verb, like exactly, and I'm like, come on now, like you sound like one of those like like those those psychics that get busted on TV where they're like yeah, yeah, my brother, yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: But also like when you were a kid, like when I was like a boy crazy and used to do those like you know, paper things yeah yeah, the fortune teller thing or the mash thing like yeah, which also made me remember this idea. This is what Facebook needs to do. Okay, Yeah, have so much information and data on every single person. They could figure out, like all of my data, who I am today, and they could match it up with someone who's very very similar demographically and like mentally to someone who's five years older than me, and they could literally tell me where I'm going to be in five years probably right right, right, yeah, yes, they could do that.
Speaker 1: That would be why could you imagine? Like that feels like such a double edged sword because on one hand, you could see, like all it would take a couple to be accurate, and then people to completely give it all, like all their agency away to like the meta fucking right. Yeah exactly.
Speaker 3: But I just read that we don't have free will anyway, so who cares?
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly. Meta took it away, took it away. Yeah, that's why I don't fuck with the matrix, you know, That's why I don't. You're in the matrix, Nay.
Speaker 3: I can't tell it's in water, dude.
Speaker 1: I've been out. I've been out. There's a real bad mushroom, but I'm pretty sure I was out for a little bit. What else do you think is overrated? Sarah?
Speaker 3: Personal growth? I think, I think knowing yourself, you know, self awareness. I feel like the people who are most successful aren't self aware at all, truly.
Speaker 1: Yeah they have some.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, So why are we getting to know ourselves? Like I feel like I've I've really gotten to know myself so much now that I'm basically who I was like thirteen years ago. And like the sayings that my mom used to say that I used to think, we're so stupid, I now find myself saying I'm like, it is what it is? Like, why am I saying that?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: It's so scary when you start repeating what your parents do. It's it's horrifying.
Speaker 3: But also also it's true. How do you argue with it is what it is?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't argue with it. It's this, this is present. You're like, of course, that's an observation, right, right, pretty objective.
Speaker 2: I used to say don't step in the oil constantly whenever we'd walk through a parking lot, like if a car was leaking oil and I'd be like, God, why did.
Speaker 1: You always say that?
Speaker 2: And now I'm like, yeah, I guess I was stepping in it and dragging it through the carpets of our house. We had a carpet, We had carpets, and it ruined life. So I'm like, yeah, it's been a good few years, but yeah, I'm a lot of nepotism.
Speaker 1: In my life. Tell him about you grandfather, the carpet King of South Carolina. Here was the carpet King of South Carolina. Yeah, he laid them so. He was originally labeled a carpet bagger, and then he turned lemons into lemonade and called himself the Carpet King and opened up a multi billion dollar business. I love he.
Speaker 3: Turned lemons into lemonade and became a carpet king.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's fascinating.
Speaker 2: He opened up a lemonade stand and sold carpets asn't happened.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. And when he called himself the carpet King, did he spelled carpet with a K too?
Speaker 1: I think Calvin Klein logo, right, It was like a c K. It was.
Speaker 2: It was exactly that. Yeah, yeah, it was a hundred present. You know exactly what did you are you like scraping my Facebook data? Because I've posted about this a lot. I'm the oracle of directly.
Speaker 3: I can't tell what's real on this show. I really can't.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. That was a joke. Okay, but this is not the matrix though we're in the real world. I want to say, I want to argue on behalf of the real world there. But you'd say you think, I mean, you haven't had any personal growth. You said, like, I'm the same person I was thirteen years ago.
Speaker 3: Well, I had this, you know. I I the first joke I ever wrote, ever told on stage, was a year ago I was single, and today I'm no longer single. I'm not desperate.
Speaker 2: That's really funny, and that's a great that's great, thank.
Speaker 3: You, And it's like true again. Oh, I've been married, I've been divorced, and now I'm like right back where I was right and it's just like and I've done all this work on myself. I've had all these relationships that I've had all this like introspection and I've looked at everything and I've overturned everything, and I've digged in and I've hunted, and I'm right back where I started? So what was the point? What was the point?
Speaker 1: I think? I think it's you know, we're all paying our tuition to the school of experience. I think you and now that whatever this next j you know juncture, the next venture is romantically Well, you're going to use all of these learnings, you know what? Fuck that? Yeah? What are some of your first dates? Like?
Speaker 3: There, I don't even have dates. That's the one thing I did change that I got off all the dating apps. Like thirteen years ago, I was on all the dating apps. This time, I'm not, so I did change.
Speaker 1: Okay, And what do you what's what? What's your methodology? Now? So you've learned something? There you are.
Speaker 3: I'm literally just waiting. I'm literally just like a spider in a web, just like waiting for somebody to come along.
Speaker 1: Perfect, perfect, it's coming when you meet that.
Speaker 3: Person, I'm waiting to suck the fucking.
Speaker 1: Than a carpet.
Speaker 2: You get a dried up hust hus I'm done with you.
Speaker 1: What's the mean? Think is underrated?
Speaker 3: Sarah A fake plants. I really love my fake plants. They make me feel like I'm taking care of things, but then I don't actually have to take care of anything. But it's like it adds all this greenery. I don't know. I really love fake plants, and I really feel like people look down on me for not having real plants, and they keep trying to get me to like get a cactus or get a succulate or something that, you like, shut up, just I have fake plants, and it's.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know, shut out the plastic plant people. I have more judgment seeing somebody with dead ass plants than I would fake plants. So yeah, aside from the quality being different, yeah, we're not.
Speaker 2: That's such so indicative of your friends knowing that, like you're a busy performer, writer, comedian, that they're like, oh, don't get something that you need to nourish and take care of. Get something that doesn't require water or any care whatsoever that you can just leave in your home. Now, I think fake plants are amazing because now they look real, like this isn't the forties back, you know, I'm like, oh, that's a yeah, you know, it was.
Speaker 3: Definitely not the forties. Yeah, back when they used to look so fake.
Speaker 2: And like yeah, or you're like it's gotten better with each decade decade.
Speaker 3: It's really improved. Yeah to my my grandfather was the fake plant king.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm gonna say, I'm like, go on, Sarah, let us know. You know, did you come from Meeker upbringings or did you? Were you the princess of the fake flower industry? I like, now I find myself like when I'm with my partner, her magicy will go out. I'll like touch ship because I'm so convinced. I'm like, this ship fake, still good, and then I'm like, or like I'll end up breaking a leaf on a real thing, and I'm like, oh ship, my bad, my bad. And then other times when I find them, I'm like, I knew it, but that ship looks real good, that looks fantastic.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe this speaks to our whole thing about like what is real? Rightly, certain things that are fake looks so real, and some things that are real look fake because they look so real.
Speaker 2: And then at that point that's that's such an Aquarius thing to say, yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh wait, are you an Aquarius? Oh Sagittarius. Yeah, yeah, knew that, yeah yeah, yeah, yeah you're miles okay, yeah, Aquarius was probably it's somewhere in your chart though.
Speaker 3: It's a moon it's a sun. It's a yeah, it's a moon.
Speaker 1: It's a mood. You know, that's a real select.
Speaker 3: It's a vibe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's all vibes. It's all vibes. All right, let's take a quick break. We'll be right back to talk some news. We'll be right back, and we're back. I want to check in with the Republicans because last Tuesday they got a bit of a shellacking. I think some people would say in.
Speaker 2: The elections across the country, someone call it wake up call number maybe seventy three, seventy five, that their full frontal attack on abortion rights and protections for transgender people is not a winner.
Speaker 1: Somehow just doesn't. There's not a lot of data to back that up. We saw losses for moms for liberty candidates across the country, and in Ohio specifically, candidates that ran under like no rights for anyone except SIS dudes lost seventy three percent of their races. Okay, that's that's not a good that's not a good success rate when you when you control the entire state election maps and things like that, and you're going you're getting around a twenty five percent success rate. And so for a second, I thought maybe they would realize that this is one of the worst platforms to run on in the modern era, but pretty much everyone except for like a handful of Republicans basically doubled down on this. In Ohio specifically, again, the response from Republicans that lost their fight to stop abortion rights from being enshrined in the state's constitution figured that the immediate response should be going after trans rights again, even though that was a losing formula. Their candidates and like, in this very sadly transparent active desperation and hatred, state legislators put hearings on the books, like immediately after Tuesday to discuss new bands on gender affirming care, bathroom laws, and fucking drag shows. And these are all things that we've seen, like drag show bands have been struck down in courts across the country, and we're like, what is for real? What is going on again? For the people in the back? Seventy three percent of the candidates running on this kind of shit lost, but again that hasn't stopped the other losers to deny the reality that they are very, very, in fact wrong. I mentioned on Monday about the RNC chair RONI McDaniel. She insisted that they are right and it is reality that is wrong about why we should keep running on this terrible, terrible platform and play this for you.
Speaker 4: This isn't true, Liz. I'm proud to be a pro life party. But we can win on this message. The American people are where we are and they want common sense limitations. They want more access to to adoption. We want to make sure that there's pregnancy crisis centers. These are things we can win on. But we have to talk about it. And you can't hide in a corner and think abortion is not going to be an issue.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, So for the record, we can win on this message.
Speaker 3: Did you hear her literally almost say people want more access to abortion herself and say adoption? She literally almost said it. She knows she's she's lying through let me.
Speaker 1: Let me do that one more time. Yeah, I didn't quite catch that.
Speaker 4: And they want common sense limitations. They want more access to.
Speaker 1: To adoption, adoption, adoption, adoption, Yeah, get one aboptions, That's what I meant.
Speaker 2: Everyone gets a free pop it. Yes, it's horrible. Let's go further, right, you know, like people don't already want this far as far right as these policies are, let's keep going further. See if they're turning the dial.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they keep losing go ahead, and it makes.
Speaker 1: It very easy, makes it very easy that knock yourself out as if you're running against the Republic, you needs have to be again, like we've said, you just gestured to them and be like, so there's this person just so you know, okay, and I'm not gonna tell you what I'm just I'm just telling you I'm not this person. Yeah, and you know, sure, I get helping adoption outcomes is fine, but you need a couple that with like actual care for people and like kids that are in foster care. Like, actually look at it holistically. If you're talking about adoption, but that's not what it is. You just throw that out because it's an alternative.
Speaker 3: And then I'm so bored with this shit, Like it's so boring, Like it's so frustrating too. It's just like it's all of these buzzwords just to get people like riled up, and no one's riled up anymore. I think people are just dead inside at this point because it's just like the same shit over and over and over and over.
Speaker 1: And over again, like and even with their own base, Like you have to remember it's your own base that's also voting to entrine fucking abortion rights in a state constitution. That's not just because the Libs came out. That's because your own your own bass Like, well, I don't that shit sounds just fun and wild to me, Yet they insist, right, and then they're like, oh, of course we want common sense limitations. Again, those are still limitations on healthcare, So miss us with that shit. And crisis pregnancy centers are not someplace you go for compassionate care if you're having trouble with pregnancy or you're conflicted you They are bait and switch operations aimed at discouraging people from having abortions, like and keeping the pregnancy no matter what through the power of prayer or whatever they want to offer you there.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I've read I've read something about one of those crisis centers that they show you like a fake ultrasound where the baby, like God, actually looks bigger than it actually would would actually be, and then it also like has a little like thought bubble like hi, mom.
Speaker 2: No way, it's it's its first NBA contract like a the womb where it's like, this baby's a cash cont.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't want to abort this one. It's gonna be it's gonna go places. This is gonna be your central bullock vehicle right here, right.
Speaker 1: You go in there and you're like, I just came here to fuck with you. I am not pregnant, So what was that?
Speaker 2: They're like, fox, So I need surgery because I don't know how did I swallow this thing?
Speaker 1: What happened? Get its side bit? And also this is a wildly unprofessional sonogram machine. If it's giving me thought bubbles, please please please don't leave, and only in English. Thought bubbles in English, yeah, right right, right, of course, of course, yeah, because those those fetuses better, they better, they better know what time it is. No fetus, so we.
Speaker 3: Produced American fetuses here that speak English.
Speaker 1: In America, okay, oh I'm sorry, I don't the thought bubble can only do the official language of the United States.
Speaker 3: If the thought bubble is in Spanish, We're like, yes, please abort it like that. They actually are okay with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're like they're like, we're gonna we're gonna have to call Ice now because this is this is you can't Jesus, Okay, I want to move on to talking about our laws around distracted driving, because this is kind of I didn't so I think all of us we were there the era I was in high school and college or in the aughts, where like we were filled with stories, like we were just told constant stories about distracted driving, Like don't people are getting the serious sometimes fatal accidents, you know, because of this this thing called the cell phone. People are texting and calling each other while driving, and that was sort of the big threat back then. But now like it's like, I'll just just for the record, it turns out every state except Montana enacted some kind of texting while driving band like, which is very interesting. So hey, if you want your freedom to fucking drive and crash into whatever the fuck you want because you're distracted, go to Big Sky Country. But technology has evolved, and nowadays I feel like we all see it. I've been catching people watching full on movies on their phones while driving, like holding it, watching like a movie or a motherfucker's face timing and driving or watching YouTube. And not only do we have like dashboard mounts that can now just like fully put a cell phone screen in our eyeline, but like a lot of the newer cars also have big ass screens as part of the dashboard, and some of them you can hack to basically be a fucking TV or play games off of it while you're operating a motor vehicle. A recent survey showed that an embarrassing amount of people are casually driving and watching. About twenty five percent of drivers reported watching movies, TV shows, or video clips while driving at some point in the last thirty days. About fifteen percent of them said they do our fifteen percent of respondent said they did it regularly, twenty percent said they made video calls regularly in the previous month, and fifteen percent recorded and posted video. And millennials twenty five to thirty four, Yeah, I hates out of that group, what's wrong with all? Get it together? They have the highest rates watching videos, playing games, and scrolling social media while driving for the records, Sarah, have you ever recorded and posted video while driving? I just I don't want to put you on blast, but are there?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean driving is boring.
Speaker 1: You want to be doing something else.
Speaker 3: While you're doing it, like if you're not drunk, which you shouldn't be drunk, you know you should right right, posting a video obviously of you driving. I don't know, I've never actually I never done that before. Yeah. I just think that there's a lot of people that feel like they can handle it, you know, they're like, I can do this, yeah, because because they grew up with screens and so I just like that. Then then they get into an accident and so it's just an awful situation of Darwin business.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, Like you were watching like great British bakeoff, like while driving on Mulholland that's a windy road. You shouldn't. Yeah. That sadly, like a lot of the laws on the books across the country, they're so vague that watching and drive are perfectly legal in some instances because some states just like some states have laws in their book that just explicitly banned watching TV broadcasts. So you can literally you think ABC NBC not be watching local broadcast television. Oh you on the CBS app. Yeah, yeah, that's good, that's fine, that's that's.
Speaker 3: Oh my gods have taken over everything.
Speaker 1: But and so like in only eighteen states have right laws right now that actually ban it, while the rest of the laws in the country are either so vague that it could go either way, or just like not banned at all.
Speaker 3: So banning means that like an officer can pull you over if he sees you doing that, and so that's a good different friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. If it's banned, then they'd be like, they're on your phone. You can't be like, well, I wasn't watching broadcast TV. They're like, it doesn't matter what the fucks you were doing. That's that's baharamount. Plus some states, like in Texas, I think you could be like, this is Netflix, fam, So.
Speaker 3: No, I was watching Texas Rangers. Oh okay, that's fine. Okay in Texas, so it's okay. Certain shows are okay, Like while you're I.
Speaker 1: Was watching the World Series, Like hold on, was that being broadcast on television? You're like, fuck, you got me?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 1: He's like, but hey, he just won, so you're free to go. Now.
Speaker 3: Are people playing video games while driving? That would be interesting, Like.
Speaker 1: That's why I've seen some candy crush like swiping ass activities from people driving. It did not look like they were punching in an address. It's like you were playing a fucking puzzle. Game while driving?
Speaker 3: Can I tell a story that might get me in trouble?
Speaker 1: Go ahead?
Speaker 3: I think the statute of limitations is over on this. But I actually did rear end somebody while I was looking at my calendar on my phone. This was like, you're busy, yeah, so to go through all the oh, And I got and I got out of the ticket by like leaning over enough into the into the cops car that he could see most of my breasts.
Speaker 1: Wait, you were leaning into the cops car? Wait, what do you mean?
Speaker 3: So he was he was in he was in his in his cruiser or whatever, writing the ticket. And I got out of my car and I walked back there, and I like he opened the door and I was leaning over and I was like, this really wasn't my fault, and I could he was looking like right down my shirt and I was just like letting him and he was like, well, maybe we could go out sometime. I was like, yeah, I love that, And I got out of the ticket.
Speaker 1: So wown God. Yeah that's a skill move, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, mister far right exactly. But I don't think that would work now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean obviously, like laws won't change the problem right away, but like to your point, Sarah, like knowing something's illegal does usually help someone's risk assessment to I.
Speaker 3: Put on a seatbelt all the time in the back seat because I know it's illegal. Lot.
Speaker 1: Also i've just seen like you know, just people now wearing seatbelts, like I know, ifeople are trying to be cool, got into like life accident. If had they been wearing a seat boat, they wouldn't have just been like you know, boggled in the backseat, like like a pair of cheap dice. But I think I.
Speaker 3: Think young people just don't think that anything's gonna happen. You know. I just didn't think I was. I thought I was gonna be fine, So I just don't think there's gonna be any consequences.
Speaker 1: I'm definitely guilty at an occasional low key look as something frivolous. But it's wild how because in my mind, like you can't be on your phone, like I keep that shit real low, which is actually worse because like then my eyeline is completely down. That I've had to definitely reassess now that like I'm a parent, but I'm blake. I think you were. You were telling me earlier, like you have no temptation. Ever, you're so so good about this.
Speaker 2: No, I will only like record videos to promote road dates, but other than that, I won't. I won't do anything like road dates. It's more yeah, my stand up dates. It's the only time I'll use use the phone when I'm driving. But I won't watch broadcast. I would never watch something on broadcast, like I would never watch a live event. Okay, good, Ever, ever, on my phone, Rory Scovell had a really funny joke. I think this was almost like eight or ten years ago. At this point, we're on Cone and he was talking about how states were starting to ban texting while driving, and Rory, for some reason, was using a Southern accent for noting. Didn't address it on the Cone. He just did it in a Southern accent the whole time. He goes like, but we we're just getting good at it. He goes like, why are they banning it just when we're getting You'll look at it the whole time. You just look down, up, up. And it was just such a funny, such a funny joke. So that's what I'm here to promote from ten years ago.
Speaker 1: It is true, there is like that sense of confidence of like you're like, not, well, there's other people that need to get there, so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I mean the worst is when we do the lift and like the driver has like three phones and they're looking at what directions on one and they're texting on another and you're like, what am I supposed to do about this?
Speaker 1: Yeah? You know what's interesting? They said for people who are like especially gig workers, like in the gig economy, were like four times likely to engage in distracted driving, and like, you know, you hear anecdotally like they're like, yo, bro, Like a fucking Uber driver had a full on iPad on like watching TV while we were driving around, Like but I was also watching that show, so I figured fucking.
Speaker 2: And it's how they're supposed to get Like for Uber drivers lift drivers, it's how they also make additional money where while they're driving you, they'll get a notification from lift or Uber saying hey do you want to take this right and yeah, and then it's like boom boom. They have to do the math they can see on the map where they're going, So it is just inherently distracting to be able to do that while you're working, Like that's the game of it. And yeah, I don't know what they should do. Do you remember when they would sometimes bring like a friend in the car with them. Did that ever you were early uber? Yea, they would just some of them would just have a buddy like in the front seat.
Speaker 1: They're like yeah, they're like you, Yeah, it happened bunch of At first, I was like, is this shady? But like, I don't know. It was like a short ride, so I was like whatever, Like I feel like, you know, I could, I could handle myself. Well.
Speaker 3: Justin is saying his sister just happened. That happened to his sister.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's bad. It happens. It happens sometimes.
Speaker 3: And do you report it because that seems weird?
Speaker 1: No, I mean I don't know. I'm like, it's it's hard enough, like yeah, trying to trying to fucking get your like, you know, grinding it like that. I'm like, whatever, man, Like if I get you again doing that, then maybe I'll be like, do you like, does your does your friend have to be drinking wine out the bottle? Straight up? There is he praying to be in this car?
Speaker 3: Or if they bring a baby and they're like hold this baby.
Speaker 1: While at that point I'm like something, yeah, like you have terrible judgment me fine, I mean this baby looks cute. Yeah fine, I'll rock the baby sleep. But yeah, please stay safe out there and and don't try and and wiggle your way through the lives. Distracted driving is bad. Okay, that is that's the official that's my hot take today, and that's why this.
Speaker 3: Is only an audio podcast because we're saving lives.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly. I certainly don't want to distract you with my grizzled visage. Certainly not. Okay, let's talk about someone you know a bit about Sarah Donald Trump, and specifically though Trump's social.
Speaker 2: If I didn't know anything about Sarah and I was like, oh, I didn't think this Sara's politics at all?
Speaker 1: Did you work for That's uncura.
Speaker 3: I would love to just like have it erase for my brain so I could be like, who's Donald Trump? Like who was that?
Speaker 1: Never heard of this person?
Speaker 3: But oh my god, I guess kids are having to learn about him as a president. Huh. Yeah, they're just learning about him. Some kids that are just for the first time, like.
Speaker 1: Wow, yeah, seriously, it's oh my god. Yeah, like it's like when I was like, like Reagan was a president when I was born, and I just remember, like my dad all the time, like you you don't want to know about Reagan's ass, And I'm like I'm four, but like sure, he's like he's like, you know what he did to people that need help, fucking left them out to dry.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, oh, I'm so hungry, I have my my I wrote like a journal when I was like thirteen and Bush Bush was president and I put this in the book, like and it was like the Iraq War was starting and I wrote like, oh, Bush made a speech and it was really good. Like I was such a little Republican.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, like we have to support our troops, yeah, and protect KUWAITI interests.
Speaker 2: You're like, wait, what the fuck? You don't know what they're parenting your parenting State Department talking points now, but like truth social specifically, right, we've like we've heard how just like much of a disaster, it's been like that they needed to merge with a company in order to survive, and like they needed like a bunch of the shareholders to vote to approve this merger. Well that happened, and it bought them a bit of more time to survive. But Kirkland signature Twitter as we know it is not quite working out.
Speaker 1: As a business entity. So this deal that they've been planning with Digital World Acquisition Corp. Which is a special purpose acquisition company basically companies that are meant to take private companies public like, has given us a few details into what's happening. And what we found out is that quote. Since early twenty twenty two, truth Social, which is owned by Trump Media and Technology Group, made three point seven million dollars in net sales and lost seventy three million dollars. But they made the rest of it.
Speaker 2: You're going negative, They made money. Yeah, focus on that. That's a lot of money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a lot of money. So you've made almost four million dollars. I'm like, well no, then don't talk that mess about truth Social.
Speaker 3: You know, you can't make money without losing money.
Speaker 1: That's just that's true. True, you know it is true. That's also how degenerate gamblers think at a at a table when they're like, dude, you gotta lose six thousand to win nine thousand, and you're like this is oh, I sure, sure it is. Man, Can you let go my wrist though, But yeah, they apparently they've just been constantly hemorrhaging money, like from the like from the first six months, they lost twenty three in the six months.
Speaker 3: Trump's money.
Speaker 1: I think it's money that's been put in by Trump and other investors. Yeah who want to who are like, yeah, we'll back you because social media is too so woke and they're censoring free speech. They're not that we got it. We need a place for our own. And I don't know if you remember when truth Social was announced, it was part of like this like like six headed hydra of like a media entity that Trump was like talking about, like there was gonna be tm what is it, Trump Media Something Group Plus? What do they call it? TMTG plus, which is like their answer to everyone, putting out a streaming service that said to offer programs including, but not limited to, blue collar comedy, canceled shows, Trump's specific programming, faith based shows, family entertainment shows that embraced the Second Amendment, and news.
Speaker 3: You know who's cleaning up? You know who's really cleaning up who? People who know htmlal just like you know what, Yeah, let me build you a site. I can do that for you, and these these idiots are just like, yeah, okay, let's build a Look, anybody can build a social media site now, rightbody.
Speaker 1: Right, right right exactly. They're like, yeah, yeah, let's see cause it probably like three million. Yeah, okay, yeah exactly, okay.
Speaker 3: For actually, you know what, the build this month is eight and million?
Speaker 1: Sorry oh wait wait, hold on how many people did you want? Did you want millions of people using it? Oh? Yeah millions? Okay, so it's a dollar per user that you think will use it. So what you said about forty, Yes, let's do it for forty. It's yeah, it's fucking wild. But apparently Trump Media and Technology Group Plus TMTG plus also completely it gone. It's it's it's gone, it got gone. It it what it's you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: It gone dot com?
Speaker 1: It gone, yeah, go to it gone dot com where you can watch canceled shows.
Speaker 2: Canceled shows is the fun. And it's not like community, you know, like yeah, yeah, yeah, like that follow them.
Speaker 1: That first season, yeah, the first season of the Roseanne reboots. Basically they're like after that, no, no, basically not or they'll have like we'll have outtakes from community. When Chevy Chase was saying racist ship and that's it. We can make that a show.
Speaker 2: But yeah, canceled shows is so it's funny because it's so bage.
Speaker 3: I just want to be in the room. Like when they were pitching this and I said, we're gonna call it truth social, like the truth, but it's also social. It's gonna be great.
Speaker 1: Where did you find this person? He sells coke to Don Junior.
Speaker 3: Oh great, We're gonna find Hunter's laptop on this thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I'm telling you, bro, we'll find that dude. Fucking find everything.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: But we're gonna call this TMT plus man. Yeah, shows do fucking guns and shit, fucking god dude family. Yeah, it's sick.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna invest. I'm gonna invest that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: These young guys, man, they have ideas. I mean, you've you've spent some time in the tech world. I'm sure you've seen some you see you've been in rooms when people have been in it. Yeah, Like, I mean, what how do you think it's actually working out? Like when people come up with like what transparently bad ideas and like, yeah, okayol, let's go, that's a go.
Speaker 1: That's a go.
Speaker 3: I just feel like Trump and all of these guys, they're just so stupid, you know. And I don't mean to use the word stupid and just some mean way, but they're just and so I I that's when I say, like with people who know how to build, these things are cleaning up, Like I think that they are agnostic, like they don't actually care about the the proctics. They're just there to be like, hey, yeah, like we can build you a site. Yeah, let's call it true social no problem. You know, it's it's got no security, it's got no privacy, it doesn't work at all. It doesn't work at all. Okay, it is held together with like spit, you know what I mean. But but truly Trump is like, okay, let's keep funneling money into it. You know. It's like they found the mark, they found the guy, they found the guy who would pay for.
Speaker 1: It, you know, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think because then everybody is so hypnotized by the I PO that that's why they're like, dude, I'm holding on man, because hopefully we take this thing public and I can cash out on this uncashable.
Speaker 3: Check social io the day.
Speaker 1: I know that, but this is what I can't wait what's interesting too, I just found out is the Special like what it was it the Special Proposalquisition Company, the SBAC that is meant to take truth social public. There's also like there's a new agreement that was just brought to light between the two parties that like they can terminate this deal now at any moment starting from like October thirty first, like November twenty something. So I don't know if like these this this trickle of stuff right now is meant to be like yeah, actually we're we don't want it. We're now we did we had some additional due diligence and it ain't diligence.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's the tech pros cleaning up, and now it's the finance pros cleaning up. It's just just cleaning up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the different lovable bro just a different lovable cross section of bros.
Speaker 3: But I mean, but you know, Elon has ruined Twitter too, So I'm just like every site is just falling apart. Every social media site to me is just completely falling apart.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean we're talking about this like last week about how like millennials especially are in a weird place like for you know, being there for the beginnings of using the Internet, whether it's like Aol and shit like that or Tumbler, you know what I mean, Like we've seen everything come and go MySpace and like now we're watching it all fucking just go to shit, and like it does, like at least for me. We were saying, like personally, I was like, yeah, it completely, I'm not really interested in using it, Like there's no magic to it that there was initially. And I don't know that's because there's a bunch of like weird ass you know, hateful people and bots and shit that are ruining or like because we're just seeing it evolve in the weird like profit centric ways. You're like, oh man, just fucking shit.
Speaker 2: No, I was gonna say, it's like interesting too where I think you see or from my point of view, you hear about like acquisitions on the news, you read about them, but like they don't really affect you on a day like on a day to day level. And then when Elon took over Twitter, I think that's the first one that's been primarily like front and center in my life where obviously you see the hate on there and how you know, like that's been perpetuated, and even from something as small as just because he fired so many engineers. There just some stuff like you were saying there, it just doesn't work where I'm like, oh, like let me look up the analytics on this, and it's like, oh ye, sorry, this doesn't work right now, and we're like what is going on? Oh maybe it'll work tomorrow, And it's just there's just things in the app that technically don't work anymore because he made so many cuts in so many brutal ways.
Speaker 3: The search, the search, the trending terms like the other day trending, God, Hitler death, Like what is why are these things trending? You click on you you don't even know why they're trending anymore.
Speaker 1: It's just such a yeah right now, Will Smith and ninety nine percent Hitler as.
Speaker 2: Hitler has been trending for a year and a half.
Speaker 1: Oh Hitler's Hitler is so in especially with that last Trump speech where he's calling his enemies vermin. But anyway, yeah, yeah, we will see what happens. It turns out though, like if the merger doesn't go through, truth Social and TMTG may not survive.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I have to delete my account.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I know, I know, and Joe.
Speaker 3: My stuff over to somewhere else.
Speaker 1: Hey, downloader members, like download all your data, man, just get it all off there before they get rid of it. Get all your truth social data off there.
Speaker 3: I was thinking about delete. You know, I really do want to get off social media at some point, Like I really do have do have this vision of just not being on anything. But like I love my handle so much and I've had it for so long that I wouldn't want someone to take it over, you know.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, so like just yeah, just do Like maybe we should have like the right to have like Internet posthumously squatting on a handle kind of thing. I like that we just need to We're going to retire this handle and they will not be used for evil, and we can use it as a you know, a reserve for fantastic thoughts and musings. Okay, let's take a quick break. We'll be right back to I guess talk about Elon again, at least how bad of a boss he is. Right after this and we're back SpaceX. Speaking of Elon, they just announced that they may try launching their Starship rocket for a second time this Friday if they get approval from the FAA. And this comes fresh off the heels of an extremely damning investigation from Reuters. They uncovered quote over six hundred previously undisclosed workplace injuries at SpaceX facilities since twenty fourteen. This is including everything from like cuts, lacerations, fucking head injuries to amputations. People have been in comas and tragically, even death. One employee apparently died recently after sitting on some cargo that was being hauled on a trailer with no straps, and the guy said, oh, no straps, I'll just lay on top of this insulation so we can get it from point A to point B and hopefully my body weight will keep this from blowing off the fucking truck. Tragically, a gust of wind blew him and the insulation off and he was unfortunately, he was killed, like he was pronounced dead at the scene OSHA. Basically, like I think anyone who just heard what happened found that SpaceX had quote failed to protect the employe from what they say was a clear hazard. But it turns out like that's just kind of just a sample of how bad some people are getting injured. There. One man was smacked in the head with it while they were testing an engine in twenty twenty two. Apparently like they were doing a pressure test of a Raptor V two rocket engine that's a tongue twister and like a piece of the rocket blew off and fractured the skull of employee Francisco Cabada, and it put him in a coma, and reportedly SpaceX has quote ignored the family's attempts to find out why he wasn't protected. And just I know, I said six hundred injuries since twenty fourteen, but it's really important to note that that is only a portion of the total case count, because while OSHA requires companies to report injuries annually since twenty sixteen, SpaceX facilities have quote failed to submit reports for most of those years. So this is like when things were just bad enough, and like the punishments are as we say all the time, fines don't deter billionaires, especially when the fines are a few hundred dollars to seven thousand dollars, like the fine for the guy who lost his life. They only had to pay a seven thousand dollars fine for that, and it's not like you know, I know, people were like, well, maybe working on rocket ships is like a fucking hazardous gig. Not Like when you compare this to the space industry average, they are blowing records out. So in twenty twenty two, the injury rate at their Brownsville facility in Texas was four point eight injuries per or illnesses per one hundred workers. That's six times higher than the space average industry of zero point eight per one hundred workers. And the reason for this, this is where Elon comes in is fucking Elon and his hatred of like regulations, Like he believes that employees should quote be responsible for protecting themselves. How I'm sorry, how does that work? And also like when he would go to do like safety visits to sights, he would tell people please take he didn't want people wearing safety yellow vests because he dislikes bright colors. And would also be like walking around sometimes with one of his dumb ass flame throwers during a fucking safety visit, Like what are you talking about this?
Speaker 3: Think this guy's a genius by the way, I.
Speaker 1: Know, I know. It just shows you what like hair plugs and a few billion dollars can do. And suddenly you're the new fucking what Tony Stark or whatever the fuck it is.
Speaker 2: He also doesn't like airbags on cars because they're two round. He said, to.
Speaker 1: Seatbelts will wrinkle your shirt. Actually, so I don't like, Yeah, do away with them. It's an aesthetic thing. What were you gonna say, Sarah, Oh no.
Speaker 3: I was. I was gonna say. I have a my chapter of my book. This is a joke I had about how like when we were at Google, like we had like an ergonomic chair to protect your body while your soul was dying. And because they were so obsessed with ergonomics, they were so obsessed with carpal tunnel syndrome. They didn't want to stay at carpal tunnel. They didn't want an aposture to be bad. They had standing nest so we could stand and sit. You know. It was so they were so obsessed with us protecting our bodies, and so like, this is wild to me, the trajectory of tech in general. I feel like, yeah, this is bad for SpaceX and Elon, but I think a lot of industries they really started to care less about worker health in general.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm sure. I mean I think yeah, because we like Google and places like that. It seems a little insidious too, because they're like, no, we need you healthy so we can get every motherfucking ounce of life out right. Course.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all the perks that were there were so that you would stay. Yeah, so that you wouldn't leave the building.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's like when people talk about how they make like wogu beef and they're like, they fatten them up, they give them massages, they spit beer into their coats and rub it in, so they get to the point that their flesh is worth more than any other be out there, right right, right right. It's for the slaughter. It's for the slaughter. But so apparently he, like Elon Musk, defends this attitude because like in tech it's always like move fast and break skulls or I think that's break everything. Oh break everything, Yeah, break every bone in your body, he says, because SpaceX is quote on an urgent quest to create a refuge in space from a dying.
Speaker 3: Please can you go do that? You go first, like put him there first, and him and Grimes can populate Mars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly right. And those other like weird billionaires who are like just like they're like I need my sperm everywhere.
Speaker 3: All the billionaires. Yeah, or the or the guy who's like using his kid's blood to like keep him young, like him go there as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah please fun there's no amount of therapy. Yeah, we actually need refuge from billionaires. So yeah, please go there because actually believe with all the private flights and stuff like the top one percent are going on, I think that would help tremendously, along with other things.
Speaker 3: But anyway, I guess I guess they don't have a union. I guess SpaceX and any of Elon's companies none of those workers are unionized.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wonder is there I.
Speaker 3: Bet not, because I mean I don't think you would ever.
Speaker 1: Allow that or yeah right, yeah, I feel like anyone would. Yeah, they're like, I'm so proud to be hostile towards unions.
Speaker 5: Is usually like the take of these kinds of guys, Sarah, I thought you were asking if there was a billionaires union, where unionize this billionaires so we can have our rights finally acknowledged by society.
Speaker 3: Dude, I think that's literally in our future that's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: It is that feels like it. Oh yeah, it says employees were fired for speaking up about Elon Musk or talking about Okay, so it sounds like yeah, part of the course, perfect course, perfect corse. But yeah, like also because of this like rush to get us to fucking Mars, also meant to like employees have been taking like adderall without prescriptions to like be able to fucking pull like wild hour and then falling asleep in bathrooms. Also to speed up the work, the company has literally been getting workers to weld rocket parts in a tent on the beach and then like when the beach got too hot, they just hooked the people up to an IV and then sent them right back out there. And also in this like tent welding shop, apparently when the wind was blowing they had to they had to shut the flaps and basically enclose everyone in a tent with like carcinogenic dust. So it's all very it's all very it's all very Elon. So we'll see what happens. This is me wild.
Speaker 3: This is a billion dollar company and they're treating employees like this. This is I mean, I totally expected in the Congo where they're trying to get diamonds out and stuff like that or whatever.
Speaker 1: But it's at that model.
Speaker 2: It's it's uh yeah, there you are merely automatons.
Speaker 1: Meant to help us generate capital.
Speaker 3: What is the endgame? Okay? What's the endgame? Okay? So we have all of these people addicted to social media that's not working and they're all upset and their jobs are killing them. Like, there's not gonna be anybody left to buy the products that you're making. Okay, there's gonna be no one around. Everybody's gonna be gone. We're all gonna be dead. So what's the end game. You're gonna you're gonna build robots to buy your products, Like you're gonna build robots to make your products, and then you're gonna build robots to buy your products, and it's just gonna be all robots. I guess, I guess.
Speaker 1: Or it's the other one where they're like, well, you know, AI is gonna be doing a lot of work. So that's why, like you know, you hear the very like cynical version of like we need a UBI, we need a universal basic income. And that's not because they believe that people like we should just move to that and give like we have a basic income to live off of but because you're like, but then when the fucking robots or ais take their livelihood, they'll still have a little scratch to give back to us in the form of consumerism or something like that. It's all it all works out in a very dark way. Or they're just they build their fucking bunkers in New Zealand and or like I'll hide. We had a guest on a couple of weeks ago, Douglas Rushkoff, who like would talk to the billionaire who like build bunkers, and the way they talk is all like, how do I get them to not want like rebel against me, like and take all the food. Can I like put like a like a detonator on their throat or something to keep them in control? And they're like, you actually haven't thought any of this through, Like your're so.
Speaker 3: They're scared that their workers are going to rebel, so they're figuring out a way to have their workers.
Speaker 1: So in the context of the apocalypse bunker like where they said they have like some billionaires are like I have a team of like ex paramilitary Like yeah, yeah, the people who protect the people who will inevitably protect and labor for the billionaires in an apocalypse bunker. They're like, do I like make the code to the food something only I know? So that way, if I die, they also don't get anything. And it's also like it's I mean, and to your point, Sarah, it's that way of thinking that somehow helps you aggregate the kind of wealth to be a billionaire and also makes you a not human.
Speaker 3: So oh my god. And that's why like Zuckerberg and all the these guys are trying to build this like city, this like city that no one else can get into, this like commune because they know this shit.
Speaker 1: Is going to hit the fan, yeah, or that or precisely that, Like they know at the end of the day, it's like this relentless pursuit of wealth and making the lineup go infinitely is only destroying the earth, destroying the fabric of our society. And they're like, I don't know, we're responsible before, but at the same time, let's build a thing to insulate ourselves from it.
Speaker 3: The good thing is like every man for himself kind of yeah, mentality.
Speaker 1: I mean, the good news is those plans will not work. Like it feels like no matter what you do, because even the people who are like I'll build this, and I'll build that. Oh blah blah blah. It's like, okay, well, what if a part goes out for your your your HVAC you know what I mean, you have no ac. Do you have someone on staff that can like manufacture the part that you would need to fix it? Or do you have someone with that capability? And like, I don't know. And then and then what if that has a knock on effect on your green your growhouse that you say will provide your food, because if that isn't temperature controlled, then would you do? And then if you don't have the food growing or the water purification system not just for you, but for your plants. And then they start like this.
Speaker 3: Is very helpful. But I do plan to be a billionaire, so it's good to know all this stuff going in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, just that's why I just yeah, just be one of those people that no one wants to, like, well, the first person they think of when the shit goes down, like you know who, you know who I'm going to pay a visit to, right, Yeah, just be on be on the good side.
Speaker 3: Please, I'll be on the good side. Also, maybe just like be a billionaire, but like don't tell anybody that you're a billionaire. That's probably a better way to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, secret billionaire. I like the idea that in this billionaire city there's still like a version of a poor billionaire where oh, you only have one point five billion. It's like you hear what Carl has A has an above ground bunker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's in Michigan. Oh my god, gets to New Zealand. Oh poor guy, poor guy, because that's the other spot everyone's looking at is Michigan, because all that's fresh water. But anyway, let's move on to something just to wrap this show up, something a little more pleasant. Andre three stacks, Andre three thousand. He is releasing his fucking debut solo album. True this like just just me doing my thing. This is Andre Benjamin here I am. The album is called New Blue Sun. And before, like myself, I was like, oh my god, Andre's yes, yes, ye right yeah, so long this man. This is again. This album is quote entirely made up of instrumental woodwind music. It's just him on the flute, which I'm like, that makes sense. I've seen him, like he's always like I've seen I feel like most of the videos I've seen him recently are playing some kind of flute, which so people wouldn't be totally shocked. I apparently I didn't realize that the track she Lives in My Lap, he played flute on that, Like he's playing woodwinds on that. Yeah, And also where's the catch with James Blake? He played woodwind So I was like, oh, I had no idea. I was not familiar with your game, sir. And there was like there a couple of viral clips of him playing like a flute in the airport. But it's funny because, like, I think he knows how much his fans like love him as a rapper vocalist, and he's like a little apologetic. Like the first track of the album is this is the literal track of the first album. Quote this track one, I swear I really wanted to make a rap album, but this is literally the way. This is literally the way the wind blew me this time is the first track. And he said even on the cover, there's even a label that says warning no bars, just to let you know there will be no You will not hear his voice. You will just hear maybe you'll hear a breath here and there as he's playing, but I'll take you. I love it.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, I think it's sweet. I think it's yeah, I think it's cute, like let him let him do his thing. He's not bait and switching anyone, you know, let him play his wood ones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think. And also at this point too, like it's been so long where I've like I stopped holding my Like I caught them when they had like.
Speaker 2: A reunion tour like in twenty fourteen.
Speaker 1: I was like I was there for that. I saw that, I got my fill. But also it's nice because I feel like so much of that work is like it's perfect. I'm like, yep, don't, I don't. We don't need to augment this. If you want to, sure, go ahead, like you know, like I like Big Boys other projects that he does, but with like Andre, oh yeah, he's always been so vibe that I'm like, I can't get mad. And I feel like most people feel the same way, Like I know some people, but.
Speaker 3: Whatever, I just as an artist, it's so brave to do something so completely different. I mean it really is. It's very inspiring, and.
Speaker 1: It's also also just like the con like that just a little bit of consideration for his fans who have known him as a rapper vocalist, or he's like, yeah, like the first track, I swear I really wanted to make a rap album, but this is literally the way with the wind blew me this time.
Speaker 3: I'm like, that's fine and it's really funny. Yeah, but yeah, I mean, I am a I don't know with the music. I personally have never listened to an album of just woodwind instruments, yeah, in my life. But maybe this will start a whole new trend. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like people I want.
Speaker 3: To see him and Lizzo do like a little thing.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, a lot of flutes, a lot of flutes going down. Yeah, I think we'll see. I mean, I've seen people say they've heard bits and pieces of it. I'm not sure, like if maybe they're at a listening party or something like that, but it's I don't know. I mean, from the people who claim to have hear it, they're like, it's it's pretty cool. It's like trippy, and I'm like.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm gonna get high and listen to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I couldn't imagine Andre, like you come down, He's just playing like Hot Crossbuns, like with no backing track. Yeah, motherfucker playing a recorder then I might feel like, bro, you had a lot of time to fucking get that recorder, right.
Speaker 3: But I mean, I think this will start a resurgence of recorder interest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had a recorder. Wasn't it? Like? Was recorder not like like a part of the courired for a certain part? Did you play recorder? Blake did? Yeah, that was my primary instrument. Yeah, no, I'm not serious, I'm serious. Did you have no play recorder? No bit? Yes I did.
Speaker 2: Like that was because we had music class, and I think that was the only instrument because we had to buy it ourselves, I remember, but it was in terms of instruments, the most you know, affordable instrument that you could possibly get. So yeah, no, we played like B A G b ag like that was uh, Hot Cross Buns.
Speaker 1: Of course, everybody, you fucking that's the first track you learn on Cross Buns. That's right, you know what I mean? But apparent I didn't realize that. Like it's like the reason too, is that it helps like with creative thinking skills like finger dexterity.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like, what the fuck? I was like, my teacher is just a weirdo making us play this shitty plastic flute. But no, there's it turns out there was a reason. There's more than just Mary had a little lamb. I'll have to look into it, but anyway, Sarah, thank you so much for joining us on the Daily Guys. It's been a pleasure. It's been wonderful talking to you. Where can people find you? Follow you, get your book, all that stuff, and hear more from you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, my book's available wherever books are sold. You can get it anywhere. It's on Kindle. There's an audiobook that I recorded myself, so you know, if you want to listen to it, you can do that while you're driving. And you can go to sarahcpr dot com for all my other info.
Speaker 1: Great handle And is there a work of media, social or otherwise music arts, anything, something that's inspired you that you'd like to share with the class.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I love Timothy Shallomet's kind of white SoundCloud wrapper impression on SNL this past weekend. It was I've watched it like fifty times at this point. It is so funny. It makes me crack up every single time. I don't know if you guys have seen it.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I gotta watch. Yeah, now I'm gonna watch it.
Speaker 3: Watched to watch the way that he has just captured like dead eyes but also just like just mumbling and just I mean, and he says, yeah, I got this new track. It's a it's a it's about capitalism. But he doesn't say capitalism. He says capitalism, capitalism, and then he's like, people be capping all the time, it's so funny, so funny.
Speaker 1: Uh you stop the cap. Stop the cap, y'all, stop the cap. Break. I said, break, Blake, where can people find you? Who follow you? And all that good stuff.
Speaker 2: I'm at Blake at Brake Wexler on all social media, and then my hour special Daddy Long Legs is still streaming on YouTube. December first, I'm gonna be in Ashville at Catawbab Brewing, and then December sixteenth, someone from the Zeit Gang, which is the fans of the show, helped me set up I'm going to start doing a monthly show in Brooklyn at Strong Rope Brewing in go on it. So December sixteenth is the first show at eight am and John helped set that up. And happy birthday to Paul Garatmenta, who is a PG.
Speaker 1: Yeah we know PG. Yeah yeah yeah, okay, yeah yeah. Pg's down with all the shows we make. I always appreciate all the support from Zeitgang. And guess what we notice. We appreciate We know it, really do, We really do because it allows me to continue to tell my family that I am a podcaster and yes, that is how I support myself. That was the goal.
Speaker 3: This was so much fun. You guys are so much fun. I do have to I do have to say that this was enjoyable.
Speaker 1: Amazing, so for you our a legend. Thank you so that it does mean a lot to us because you are very talented and exceptional and like I said, your reputation preceded you and it's really great to have you. And it turns out you are a cool person and not a ship back. We love that. We love that you can. You can find me at Miles of Gray wherever they're serving at Symbols. You can find our show, The Daily Guys at the Daily Zeit Guys on Twitter at Daily Zeit Guys on Instagram. We got a Facebook page of website, Daily Zeit guys dot com or post episodes in our footnotes, but no, thank you, Blake little late, but I'll take it.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And oh, I just want to say, what do you want from it? I know, I know, I know. The tweet that I do like I do want to shout out at Saji star BB.
Speaker 2: Might be something to do with Sagittarians said.
Speaker 1: The quote you don't owe anyone anything. Generation is the loneliest generation to date. Shocking, shocking, totally, totally, totally. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And also, let's say, let's see a song that we're gonna write out on.
Speaker 1: Obviously that's gonna be the footnotes. U is this from this artist Root Good? Are you g a w D? I think they're a bassist, but they have like this. This track is called almost and like the album art for it is like a Hello Kitty but like a Gundam. But the music is really kind of funky futuristic. So if you like that kind of thing, check it out. Rgot are you gawd? With Almost? All Right, that's gonna do it for us today. We'll be back later to tell you what's trending. Uh, And I guess we will see you then. Bye. M h